[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

GURPS General /GURPSGEN/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 329
Thread images: 50

File: GURPS GENERAL MUTHFUCKAS.pdf (350KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
GURPS GENERAL MUTHFUCKAS.pdf
350KB, 1x1px
Mad thread recaps edition
>>
File: 1495561573395.jpg (161KB, 474x862px) Image search: [Google]
1495561573395.jpg
161KB, 474x862px
>>53600420
Grimwyrd after action:

"I just cut a dude's 11s off "
"we need to use a magic anti-nuke to un-explode reality"
"a more important revelation is that, apparently Beastmen actually have ever built/crafted/created anything noteworthy"
"[The with queen]told us we broke the world and need to fix it by stealing magical artifacts of great power. This sounds like something we wanted to do anyway. Also, she can't command people to join us, being a mega creepy norn"
"She has no idea how she knows all this and she may or may not be evil and actually leading us down a path to tear open the border between the worlds even MORE, but this is our only lead, and we might as well just roll with it."

I love this game
>>
File: 1469296481770.jpg (59KB, 564x821px) Image search: [Google]
1469296481770.jpg
59KB, 564x821px
>>53600444

>Achievement unlocked: Turn the tables. (Told by an NPC that speaks in riddles to stop speaking in riddles.

We had a duel in order to get past a NPC. Single combat with swords was over fast as an unlucky roll by the NPC had him miss a parry.. and a (lucky?) roll by the PC had a randomly aimed shot hit Area 11 (The Groin).

Bleeding from the groin, the NPC agreed to do what we'd commanded. This is what happens when you are a dick and don't set terms before a duel like "only above the waist" .
>>
File: Combat Walker.jpg (27KB, 357x450px) Image search: [Google]
Combat Walker.jpg
27KB, 357x450px
What the fuck is the UT Combat Walker supposed to look like?

>These early designs have a barrel-shaped torso that blends into the head. There is no neck or waist articulation; the user must rely on sensors to see behind him and cannot twist his torso around. The suit’s hands are also crude (but very strong) grippers. Combat walkers built for humans stand eight feet tall (SM +2).

All I can visualize is something like Robby the Robot or something else ripped from a 50s B sci-fi movie.
>>
File: friedrich.jpg (47KB, 450x379px) Image search: [Google]
friedrich.jpg
47KB, 450x379px
>>53601221
I always picture something like this. '70s images of the Marauder suits from Starship Troopers
>>
>>53601361
That is so much better; I had never seen those before, so the only thing I could draw from is the goofy-ass shit I had seen.
>>
>>53601432
They look clumsy but dangerous and powerful.
>>
>>53600920
Something about getting a whack in the 11s for 5 cutting: statistically it shouldnt happen as often as it does in our game. But it do
>>
File: WAV10249.jpg (45KB, 752x564px) Image search: [Google]
WAV10249.jpg
45KB, 752x564px
>>53601361
>'70s images of the Marauder suits from Starship Troopers

That's definitely Maschinen Krieger and not at all Starship Troopers.
>>
>>53602129
At +20 Lifting/Striking ST, hell yeah they are.

On that note, I've been looking at running a near-future sci-fi/cyberpunk game, and I was planning to use armor as dice from "Armor Revisited" because I've always wanted to. For the most part, I think it sort of fixes the issue UT has with weapons far outstripping armor!

I think one of the major issues is that DR is static but damage is variable: something that on average penetrates DR200 armor can easily roll well enough to burn through whatever HP is under that armor. Armor Revisited replaces static DR with dice of DR, and I think that has a lot of potential. For example, 10d DR armor (35 DR armor originally) negates any attack of less than 10d, reduces an attack of 12d to 2d, etc. For comparison, when a guy in DR35 armor is with with a heavy rifle that deals 12d, he'll take anywhere from 0 to 37 damage, averaging 7; on a bad roll, his ass is OUT, no question. When we convert his armor to 10d, the rifle is down to 2d and the guy takes anywhere from 2 to 12 damage, averaging 7; the average is the same, but we've made the extremes MUCH less swingy and much more likely to hit that sweet spot between no damage and OHKO (assuming the weapon has a chance to breech the armor in the first place).
>>
>>53604476
One thing that changes is that the armor can't absorb the entire blow at all with this system, but that seems like a neglible thing to consider.
>>
>>53601221
>eight feet tall
>(SM +2)
I thought that would be SM 1 wouldn't it?
>>
File: 1444403282533-0.jpg (152KB, 620x482px) Image search: [Google]
1444403282533-0.jpg
152KB, 620x482px
>100 point GURPS character
>56 points into Parry Missile Weapons skill to give me 22 in it
>40 points into Shortsword gives me a 20 in it.
>can parry arrows with a 91% chance of success, crossbow bolts with 74% chance of success. Parry of 13 in melee so I parry 84% of melee attacks against me.
>buy a few disadvantages to pay for some peripheral skills at low levels
>don't need HT cause I basically can't get hit
>get fucked GM.
>>
File: Combat Walker.jpg (3MB, 2160x3000px) Image search: [Google]
Combat Walker.jpg
3MB, 2160x3000px
>>53604708
True; if the attack can breech the armor at all, it's assured to deal some damage. However, I think the author made a blog post about how he really liked someone else's rules for grazing shots (basically, if you hit exactly or the target barely fails to defend, it's a grazing blow and, among other effects, DR is doubled). I'll probably be using that as well; occasionally, people will get lucky and their armor will catch a shot it really shouldn't have. Beyond that, maybe chinks in armor will finally get some love!

>>53604827
From p. BS19.
>Box-, sphere-, or blob-shaped characters add +2 to SM; elongated boxes, like most ground vehicles, add +1.
I'd assume the combat walker is a hefty boy, a lot stockier than a human scaled up to 8' would be. He gets +1 for being 8' tall and another +1 for being probably around 5' wide and/or deep.
>>
>>53604967
What if you are attacked by an Affliction?
>>
File: repeating-crossbow.jpg (14KB, 420x263px) Image search: [Google]
repeating-crossbow.jpg
14KB, 420x263px
>>53604967
>only a 74% chance to parry crossbow bolts

Say hello to my little friend.
>>
File: 69fc6a5d79bbca7288f4ba08696d9b0f.jpg (123KB, 804x1044px) Image search: [Google]
69fc6a5d79bbca7288f4ba08696d9b0f.jpg
123KB, 804x1044px
>>53605009
On that note, bonus SM from shape is how you can justify SM+4 mechs not having to be 30' tall; a 12' tall mech that's very wide and stocky is still SM+4. Take pic related, for example. It looks to be only a hair over twice the pilot's height; if we assume the pilot to be roughly 6' tall (and the two models to be roughly to scale), that puts the mech as 12-15', or only SM+2, but once we factor in its bulky dimensions, it should fall safely in the SM+4 category.
>>
>>53604967
>ambushed
>no points in anything that makes it harder for people to get the drop on you
>shot in the back by an easily-parried arrow that you didn't see coming

Or-
>lost in the wilderness
>only have "some peripheral skills at low levels"
>hopefully those include survival skills
>if not...

Or-
>used as a patsy for a local noble's plot
>too many guards to fight at once, and/or apprehended when not fit for combat (unarmed, drinking, asleep, etc.)
>no skills to defend against political intrigue

Or-
>get sick because life sucks
>low health, fail roll to recover, crippled for life

A good campaign is tailored to the characters. You'll always be hit with something you aren't made to deal with, and you'll have to find a way to struggle through. But an over-optimized character is rigid and inflexible - the first time you run into a scenario your skillset isn't optimized for, you'll be knocked flat on your ass.

Or just, you know...

>26% chance to not parry a crossbow bolt
>shot at for the fourth time in a campaign
>fail parry
>solid shot to the center of mass, bleeding profusely, trying to defend self with -4 shock penalties...
>>
File: 100p gurps character.png (625KB, 600x900px) Image search: [Google]
100p gurps character.png
625KB, 600x900px
>>53604967
I have a better one.
80p on guns.
>>
Is there a canon way to make "wildcard" perks? I've thought of pricing them at 5 points each, since Off Hand Weapon Training! is just Ambidexterity [5]. This seems fine for cases like Grip Mastery! or Akimbo!, but not for Efficient! or No Nuisance Rolls!.
>>
Im looking at the example of symbol casting in Magic on page 206 and am confused by how the energy cost is 966. I get 766 when i add it all up myself.
>>
File: 1488734181158.png (6KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
1488734181158.png
6KB, 600x450px
>>53600420
So then.
I love GURPS, and I think the system does a lot of brilliant things, but riddle me this.

Why is it, that there is NO level of skill sufficient to remove or even reduce the chance of a critical failure? Yes, I know anyone can fail at any time. But why is it that say, Michael Phelps can drown on a swimming check, or Hawkeye can drop his bow while trying to shoot? I feel like at a certain level of talent you should become immune to failure except under the most ridiculously harrowing circumstances.
>>
>>53605742
Yeah I have no clue why it totals to 966. I could *maybe* see the argument for 866 if you needed to apply Bane twice (once for each underlying enhancement), but 966 is most likely a typo.

Magic has a LOT of errata, but oddly enough this doesn't seem to be on the list. Go you for finding something new!
>>
How do you convince people to play GURPS?

Especially without being able to GM it yourself? I've tried to GM in the past and can't do it, regardless of system.
>>
>>53606076
No Nuisance Rolls perk (p. PU2-16)?

And you do reduce critical failure chances. A 17 stops being a critical failure at ESL 15+; it's still an auto-failure, but it's not a critical one.
>>
>>53606101
Pay/get someone to GM it for you. Make sure it is set up for easy, quick character creation and in a setting/genre your friends want to play.
>>
>>53606076
Remember that guy on Team USA who tore his hamstring during the last World Cup? Or Dale Earnhart's fatal crash? Or that runner who tore his hamstring (i think) and was carried to the finish line by his dad?

Those situations are what critical failures are.
>>
File: psis cover.jpg (234KB, 623x1650px) Image search: [Google]
psis cover.jpg
234KB, 623x1650px
GURPS is LEWD
>>
File: 0974m.jpg (160KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
0974m.jpg
160KB, 1280x960px
>>53601221
>>
>>53604967
Deceptive attack, Feint, several enemies, and so on. They are very basic tricks, and they all will fuck you up.
>>
>>53605454
>>
>>53609197
>>53605454
I want to play gunny mcshoot.
He has 80p in guns.
But all he wants is a peaceful life with a cute wife two kids and a big ranch.
>>
>>53605294
>trying to defend self with -4 shock penalties...
active defenses don't take penalties for shock, B374, 'injury and active defenses'
>>
>>53609547
True, but a crossbow shot to the chest with no extra HT would send him reeling in all likelyhood.
>>
>>53609547
Active defenses might not, but a lot of other things he's going to need to defend himself will be.
>>
So I have a question of balance for a weapons I want to give one of my players and I need some advice from more experienced GMs. For context, I'm running a low magic, low tech campaign and the enemies the players face are mostly humans of similar skill levels, things like guards or professional soldiers and the like. Started with 100 points but now they're up to 125 or so.

I'm planning to have a magic sword that can turn ethereal for a very short amount of time, maybe a second or so. In GURPS terms, I want to give the player the ability to ignore a successful parry when he attacks with this sword.

Now, I'm thinking of a couple of ways to balance this, since letting a player ignore parry all the time would be too powerful. One way would be to make the player roll a check to use the ability or give him a penalty to hit. Another could be to let the enemy dodge with a slight penalty after his parry has been negated. Additionally, other enemies in the vicinity could make a Per check and if they pass they would avoid parrying. Finally I'm thinking there should be a cooldown after using the ability.

The idea is to give the player a weapon that has a special ability that is used sparingly but is a powerful enough trump card to turn a potential loss into a victory for the group.

How does this sound?
>>
>>53606076
As the others said, you do reduce critical failure chance up to a point, and critical failures can always happen even to the best of the best. That being said, if you wanted a cinematic campaign where it was simply impossible for one to critically fail a roll, turn to Power-Ups 2, pg. 20:
>Rules Exemption†
>This works identically to Extra Option, above, except that
>instead of granting access to a specific, beneficial optional rule
>that generally isn’t used in the campaign, it gives an exemption
>from a particular, detrimental optional rule that is used in the
>campaign.

Rules Exemption (Critical Failures for {Skill}) [1] does what you want.

If you still want there to be a danger associated to a skill with critical failures, but the character in question is buffered better than most against them, Perk-level Luck for a skill exists by word of Kromm (http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?p=754607#post754607), and RAW ways to do so are buying success via points, regular or impulse/destiny/wildcard.
>>
>>53609854

Difficult, extremely strong, and not very active on your player's end.

Ready action to "Activate" it could work.
Take a ready action on turn 1, it's ethereal for 1 second, whether you attack or not on turn 2, on Turn 3 it's back to normal.

That way, it comes with the very clear drawback of wasting a turn activating it, it'd be comparable to a very strong Feint and Attack.
>>
>>53609854
It's a powerful ability. I'd let it be an attack that can't be parried or blocked but as you noted, once you start using it people will notice and once they know it's a ghost blade they will try to dodge instead of block or parry.

That's still powerful. Block and parry is much easier then dodge. You could either have it recharge or make each use of the ability cost a Fatigue Point.

You could also have it be unable to pass though some things, magically warded weapons or something.

This keeps it mechanically simple, easy to stat out and still powerful without being overpowered. It's a great surprise, that first shot with the ghost blade could easily kill someone that doesn't expect it and tries to parry.

For an upgrade path, maybe a version that ignores armor too?
>>
>>53610075
This could work. One caveat is if the player gets attacked on the turn that they took the Ready action, the sword would be ethereal so they'd be without Parry.

Maybe activate it as a free action, but the player gets no Parry that turn.

I'm thinking that the sword would have to be deactivated right after passing through the enemy weapon to actually do damage to the enemy, so maybe another skill check is in order here.
>>
>>53610139
It probably wouldn't be good against shields since the hilt and the arm would still be physical, and while the sword is ethereal it'd pass through flesh without damage as well.

It's not a "ghost blade" in that sense since that would be incongruous with the way magic with the way I've established that magic works in this world. So it either passes through everything or its solid, can't be selective with what it passes through.
>>
>>53610180
I would just make it an Imbuement skill that penalizes active defenses, like an offset Deceptive Attack. Something like...

>Wraith Strike
>Melee; DX/Very Hard
>Default: Specialty for related weapon at same penalty as weapon default.
>Prerequisite: Imbue 3.

>Your melee weapon phases through objects as you attack! This gives -1 to your opponent's defenses as the momentary flicker keeps them guessing.

>Modifiers: -2 for -2, -4 for -3, -6 for -4, -8 for -5, and -10 to bypass active blocks and parries completely.

Makes me wonder why it doesn't affect armor as well, of course. What's the difference between a shield and a breastplate? If it was just for game balance, it'd probably leave a sour taste in my mouth, but that's just me.
>>
>>53610330
>Makes me wonder why it doesn't affect armor as well, of course
Well it would, of course, as I explained here >>53610295. However passing through the armor would be pointless since there's no way to pass through it completely to deactivate it on the other side.

If you deactivated it while the sword is inside an object or person, it'd just get stuck (which would probably be bad for the person) and you'd be out a magic sword.
>>
>>53610367
>If you deactivated it while the sword is inside an object or person, it'd just get stuck (which would probably be bad for the person) and you'd be out a magic sword.
Sounds like a fun tactic, being able to grapple by having your sword stuck in someone.
>>
>>53610426
Yeah, but you'd only be able to do it once.

I guess it could be used to insta-kill an important but well armored opponent by shoving the sword into his vital organs or head and activating it.
>>
>>53610448
>Yeah, but you'd only be able to do it once.
Why? Can't you just phase it out again?
>>
>>53610462
No, since the metal would be alloyed with with whatever it was inside when it phased in, it would have a different composition (probably not even bronze anymore) and the enchantment that's running along the spine of the blade would break.

The whole shtick with magic and magic items in this world is that it's time consuming, hard to make and the enchantments are dumb (as in, simple effects only, no decision making) and fragile. So any magic items are best kept back until just the right moment and used as a trump card.
>>
>>53610502
Sounds like a big enough drawback to me to just make it work when you use it, maybe a skill roll to activate it as you attack. No need for a bunch of rules when the enchantment is so fragile.
>>
>>53610530
Yeah, I probably could do a skill roll and break the sword on critical failure.

How's this sound: When the enemy successfully Parries an attack, the player can choose to roll a skill check of appropriate difficulty (to be determined later) to ignore the parry, on critical failure, the sword gets stuck somewhere (enemy weapon, shield, armor or the enemy itself, roll for this) and the enchantment breaks. If the skill check is successful, the enemy gets a Dodge with a harsh penalty (-5 or something) and if the attack connects, damage is calculated as normal. Ability cannot be activated again for the next n turns.

My only worry is if I tell the player "you'll lose the sword on critical failure" they will be reluctant to use it ever and it'll just sit in their scabbard forever.
>>
>>53610615
Adding to this, the skill check could probably be a Very Hard technique of the sword skill, so they can get better at it if they want.

Any other creative uses of the sword would probably have to be accounted for on the fly by the GM.
>>
>>53610615
>>53610649
If it's a technique for the sword skill, just have them roll on the critical miss table on B556 as normal, or customize one that replaces options you don't think make sense for it. "On a critical failure, it has a chance of breaking" is certainly better than "On a critical failure, it breaks." Other than that, sounds fun. I'd use it, but that's just me.
>>
>>53610666
Yeah, you're right, I didn't even think of making a custom critical failure table for it. That's a great idea, I'm going to use that for a couple of things in this campaign, can even have some fun with it.

I'm gonna go sleep on this, see if I think of something else.

Thanks for the help.
>>
>>53610615
>>53610703
Honestly, I think the two anons eariler had the right of it. Don't have them roll an additional skill check, just have them ready an action, maybe spend some FP to activate it, and bam, it's self balancing.

I'm always against rolling uneccessary
skill checks, especially when failure can seriously screw the player for no reason.
>>
I want to introduce a new system for spaceships; does this seem okay to you guys?

>Energy Bank (TL7) [Any]
>Energy banks are rechargeable electrochemical cells that provide variable short-term power; this system is most useful either as a secondary power source when the main generator cannot keep up with the PP demand or where short operation times are expected (i.e. fighter craft). Additionally, the lack of exhaust, radiation, or loud turbine makes energy banks useful for stealth operations.
>Rather than grant a fixed rate of power points over a fixed duration like most other power-generating systems, energy banks are rated in power-point hours (PPH); when used to power a system, every hour of operation reduces the amount of PPH available by the given amount. For example, a ship with 16 PPH can use one PP to power the engines for 16 hours, or it can use 8 PP to power the engines, shield, and laser batteries for only two hours. If energy banks are the only source of power, every four hours of idling (only auxiliary power is required and no PP is needed for any system) requires 1 PPH.
>Energy banks provide 1 (TL7), 2 (TL8), 4 (TL9), 8 (TL10), 16 (TL11), or 32 (TL12) PPH per system. They do not need refueling, but recharging them takes time and access to a steady supply of electricity.

>Cost: As MDH Turbine (p. SS1-20).
>>
File: iron_fists_2012.jpg (70KB, 928x523px) Image search: [Google]
iron_fists_2012.jpg
70KB, 928x523px
Is there way how i can use active defence with my 7d DR on arms (and legs) to block incoming damage?
Is it just plain and blatant unarmed parry with [better of dx or dx-skill]/2+3 parry?
As i want hard contact where all enegry of incoming attack should be absorbed by my DR, but most of attacks wont be targeted on it. Possibly they target my vitals and skull, u know...
>>
>>53612651
I've been wanting something like that for *years* but have yet to come up with a mechanic for it in a way I feel happy with. Bonus to parry seems wrong, and messing with margins of failure on parries seems equally wrong.
>>
>>53612651
>As i want hard contact where all enegry of incoming attack should be absorbed by my DR, but most of attacks wont be targeted on it.
Treat your armor as a shield with DB0
>>
>>53612651
>>53612729
Power Block, maybe. P167~9.
>>
>>53610065
One last example is the Stabilizing version of Magery, where if you critically fail, you roll your skill again; if you succeed on the second roll, it's only a normal failure rather than a critical one. I'm sure that would translate to a skill-specific perk just fine.
>>
>>53605294
>A good campaign is tailored to the characters.

So basically the GM is a metagaming cunt? "well this character has a fireball spell so all the enemies will be IMMUNE TO FIRE! hahahaha!" And then the GM proceeds to jack off to his own cleverness. Nah, fuck you. So sick of this quantum ogre faggot shit. No, if you run a campaign, you create a fucking world, and then don't just change it just because the characters do something you don't like. You are a garbage-tier GM, and you should be removed from GMing altogether forever.

>>53605454
Even better, all 100 points into Hit Points to start with 60 HP.
>>
>>53609180
nah not really.
>>
>>53614479
Yeah, really. Your only defense is Parry 13, and it means nothing when you rack up penalties from multiple parries per turn (and possibly additional penalties from deceptive attacks), and especially when enemy starts the turn behind you back.
>>
File: 1359237974726.jpg (743KB, 1150x766px) Image search: [Google]
1359237974726.jpg
743KB, 1150x766px
Players are souls of long ago dead mighty Heroes of ancient realm war, secretly reawakened by church to help defeat rebels, who instead of Imperia get in hands of "Rebellion", who is actually heretics-terrorists who playing with Evil, Demon Pacts, child sacrifices, slavery, trading with south barbarians and possibly TMWNMK.
So as far campaign starts, PCs should think "Rebels are good, Empire are bad" and they with Good Guys, while Maim-Burn-Kill peasants and paladins, until truth reveals in demon summon ritual.

So how to make players believe in
>"Rebels are good, Empire are bad" and they with Good Guys
?
>>
>>53600420
Is the MEI Hellhound grenade statted in High Tech or Tactical Shooting?
>>
>>53614767
Just like with IRL groups, just don't show that side off. Any rumors of rebels engaging in atrocities is imperial propaganda. The heroes are sent out to do essentially spec ops missions and don't ever really deal with the populace or standing rebel army for any extended period of time, and all the REALLY awful shit is done in distant lands.

It also helps if some not-insignificant portion of the rebel army has real justifications for wanting to rebel. The empire can be full of corrupt bureaucrats (in the political sense, not the demonic way), have nobles that invoke shit like prima nocta, etc. It justifies the raising of arms against them, and for a time being will also justify what little the PCs see in terms of the rebellion's... extreme measures. An angry, grieving widow fighting against an empire that executed her husband and only children on trumped-up charges will do a LOT to light the fire in the PCs' bellies.
>>
>>53609854
Say that enemies can still stop the attack by hitting the user's hand.

In game terms, parries are at a penalty (-2 sounds good for that power level), but if the enemy succeeds anyway your hand takes damage just as if you failed to parry an attack while unarmed.

It would probably be balanced to let your PCs use that ability as much as they like, since every use carries the risk of being crippled. You could even give it an armor divisor and still be okay.
>>
Explain to me why muskets aren't viable in a TL campaign.
>>
File: kh4qzg9bb3zy.jpg (2MB, 4898x3266px) Image search: [Google]
kh4qzg9bb3zy.jpg
2MB, 4898x3266px
>>53617406
They are, though they require careful use.

With muskets you get a very powerful attack that can't be parried. It has moderate acc and range.

The trick is to wait until you've got a perfect shot at short range. Put the bullet into someone, then get down to using the bayonet, use the gun as a club or switch to another weapon.

If you have a base of operations, a cart or a wagon you can grab several Cheap muskets and keep them loaded in a rack. Take multiple shots by picking up a ready one after each shot.

They take more thought and you will have to answer the question "what will I do when I have enemies and no shots left?" but that's not such a bad thing. They are viable, you just can't use them as your only weapon.
>>
>>53617406
A *TL 4 campaign.
>>
>>53600420

Running a Firefly/Cowboy Bebop game. Smugglers, odd jobbers in space.
Would (limited) Ultra-Tech and Space/Spaceships be enough to run it? Standard human points to start?

I'm fairly new to GURPS so anything is a help
>>
>>53617972
You don't have to duck into UT for that, the guns and equipment used in Firefly and Bebop tend to be very low end, grounded stuff. You can mostly use TL 5-8 firearms from the basic set.

>Space/Spaceships.

If you aren't going to do ship to ship combat you can kinda skip these, though Space has some good things about adventures in space. The ship becomes their home and base of operations but doesn't have to fight.

Given the tendency of Bebop and Firefly to be somewhat over the top action types with long, hard past that have left them with a lot of experince I'd say 150 points and a 30 to 50 point disadvantage limit would be good.
>>
>>53617972
Neither Cowboy Bebop nor Firefly really focus on the tech too much; you could get by with the Basic Set and not really have to touch UT.

You may need to snag Spaceships, though thankfully that series is a) pretty easy to use and b) comes with a lot of pre-made ships. Of special note is vols. 2, 3, 5, and 6; considering the theme of both CB and Firefly, the transport and cargo ships in #2 may see some love, and the pirates covered in #3 would also be useful; lastly, both series love repurposing civilian ships as adventuring bases, so the mining and exploration vehicles in 5 and 6 may see some use.
>>
Heeeyyyyy my lazy-yet-austistic ass finally finished downsizing a bunch of TL9 spaceship systems to SM-9 through +3! Post tiny near-future bots for me to make and I'll see if my effort was wasted or not!
>>
File: 1495607186596.jpg (23KB, 569x525px) Image search: [Google]
1495607186596.jpg
23KB, 569x525px
Alright, forget putting 80 points in swords or guns, or any of that other shit. You wanna break the game from the word go? Just buy 8 ranks of status. That shit only costs you 40 points, and you're supreme god king of your country for your trouble. If you're starting at 150 points, you still have plenty of room to spend 80 points on guns or whatever.

Does this seem seriously underpriced to anyone else? I really can't understand how it's only valued at the same level as fucking charisma.
>>
>>53620031
It's implied that you also buy commensurate levels of wealth and other social advantages, representing your command of such a large empire

Also, GMs will be deciding who is and is not king of their lands. Those rules might be there for emulating royalty, but that doesn't mean they're appropriate for every game.
>>
>>53620079
>Those rules might be there for [specific case if X], but that doesn't mean they're appropriate for every game
This should be it's own copypasta for gurps
>>
>>53619732

How about stats for this piggy?
>>
>>53620420
Looks to be around 3" long (SM-8), but the elongated box design bumps it up to SM-7. It has 2 HP and every system of Cargo space holds 0.03 lb.

Front
1-2. Cargo (Tiny Radio Communicator, p. UT44); $50
3-6. Cargo (Flat Cam w/2TB data-chip, p. UT51); $52
Central
1-2. Tracked Drivetrain; $0.10
3-6! Energy Banks (16 PPH); $1.20
Rear
1-2. Cargo (Tiny Computer running telepresence software, p. UT22); $50
3-6. Cargo (Left empty to cut down on cost). N/A

Total Cost: $153.30.

It's a professional souped-up TL9 version, but there ya go. I might have been able to skimp if we went for a smaller frame and tinier components, to say nothing of buying a cheaper camera/computer/communicator.

That was fun, thanks Anon. I think I'll need to write up plastic "armor" for fractional DR. I'll actually keep this as an example spybot the players can buy!
>>
>>53621168
Your players might be able to get them for the Mass Produced discount, as these little guys are made to inspect pipes and ducts. It's not a proper PIG, as those are not self propelled.

Next, let's calculate the amount of damage you could do with .92 ounces of high explosives in that empty cargo compartment..
>>
>>53614699
lol and what other defenses am I supposed to have?
>>
>>53620031
You'd also have to buy the country as a Patron or buy a lot of Rank if you wanted to have any actual authority. Status just means you're famous and respectable; actually being in command of a major nation would cost an additional 90 points or so.
>>
>>53621257
Plastex B (p. UT88) has REF of 4 and costs $20/pound. At 0.12 lb., it comes to $2.40 worth of explosive and deals a whopping 8d cr ex (plus some change), though it may be less if we need to make room for the detonator cap.
>>
File: 1477180_1.jpg (47KB, 630x630px) Image search: [Google]
1477180_1.jpg
47KB, 630x630px
>>53619732
>>
>>53621305
>buy nothing but status
>no authority
>no power to speak of
>take a bunch of over the top character traits
>elected by conspiracy
>mfw Zaphod Beeblebrox in GURPS
>>
>>53621275
What you are supposed to do is to read the fucking book instead of dumping every point into one low-hanging fruit and then posting it in the thread and going "LELELE I BROKE YOUR SYSTEM WHAT NOW LOSERS"
>>
>>53621453
SM-5, so 5 HP and Cargo=0.03 lb.

Front
1-4. Cargo (Flat Clam, p. UT51); $50
5-6. External Clamps; $0.06
Central
1-6. Cargo (Compact Genius Small Computer running AI software); $1M
Rear
1. Energy Bank (4 PPH); $3
2. Tracked Drivetrain; $0.50
3. Advanced Metalic Laminate Armor (DR1); $1
4-6. Cargo (Compact Genius Small Computer running AI software); --

Total Cost: $1,000,054.56

I believe Rick would definitely shell out for/steal a needlessly advanced computer just to run a miserable AI.

>>53621168
FUG, I messed up, the cargo is supposed to be 0.003 lb. Time to go for tinier components and less empty space! Or I could be lazy and just bump it up to SM-5.

Also I've been forgetting [core] system locations, but ehh.
>>
>>53622674

>Million dollar AI and processor in a $54 shell, built only to pass butter.
>>
>>53621840
He put 80 points into one skill, and that skill was shitposting.
>>
>>53623207
In that case, he'd be good at it.

What we're seeing here is someone rolling against SL-6 and just constantly whiffing it.
>>
File: gurps_galaxy_destroyer.png (39KB, 537x390px) Image search: [Google]
gurps_galaxy_destroyer.png
39KB, 537x390px
>>53621840
I did read the book. And I already BTFO'd this worthless ""system."" And if that's not enough, check pic related.
>>
>>53623579
You can't take rapid fire and emanation.
>>
>>53623611
Why?
Doesn't this is generic pulse nova Boss-level attack from Japan slasher game, like this
https://youtube.com/watch?time_continue=6&v=2_1y1pTdyIo
>>
>>53623579
>Look Mom, I posted it again!
>>
>>53623761
Because you can't you dunce. Abilities like that are represented differently. Emanation can only be taken with Area Effect and no 'ranged or melee attack modifiers' per the basic set. Which rapid fire is.

Read the fucking rulebook next time.
>>
>>53604967
I made a chacter in this vain although it was 350points. (Before disadvantages)

Armis Skylark the Second Greatest Swordsman in the world.

Used a Late katana in one hand and a edeged rapier in the other.

24 broadsword skill.
Combat reflexes.
Improved parry,
Enhanced peripheral vision.
Weapon master sword.
Move 10.

Could parry dodge and weave all day.

On day he fought 7 centaurs alone and at once and 3 of them crit and that was the end.

When it comes down to it if you don't have decient DR high defence characters do eventually get crit.

My next character was is full mail and heavy plate as a lesson learnt.
>>
>>53625843

That's an absurdly tough build, though sooner or later anyone can be worn down with enough attacks and centaurs tend to be pretty damn strong.

Being outnumbered sucks pretty hard in GURPS.
>>
>>53622895
Good catch; it's actually just a million dollar processor and I forgot to add the cost of the AI on top of that.
>>
File: Elemental_II_(X).jpg (149KB, 531x569px) Image search: [Google]
Elemental_II_(X).jpg
149KB, 531x569px
>>53601221
Kinda like this.
>>
>>53604967
>don't need HT cause I basically can't get hit

So..you're in a medieval tech level with low HT? Got some fleas and rats bearing bad news for ya.
>>
>>53629355

How much should a person have for disease resistance in a game without good medicine or magic? HT 12? Fit? All the way to Resistant to Disease (+8) at [5]?
>>
>>53629559

HT 12 and Fit should be plenty, unless you want to be flat-out immune and be able to sleep in sewers and other crap.
>>
Convinced a friend of mine to run a zombie game in GURPS Lite for his group. Here's his feedback:

Positives:
>Surprisingly smooth
>Can look up real-world values for things (in this case, a car's speed in yards/sec)
>Fright table is amazing
>The Lecherousness disadvantage existing

Negatives:
>Lots of tables
>DM screen is more like "DM fort"

Overall, he liked it a lot more than Savage Worlds, and his players like it about as much but aren't convinced yet. I gave him a pared-down set of rules for grappling, and the slow/fast zombie statblocks from After the End. I think his group will add GURPS to their list of systems to play games in, which I'm pretty happy about.
>>
>>53629967
Congratulations, my man. I have tried to run GURPS for some of my friends to ease them into it, but I got two failures so far. I think I have learned my lessons though and I plan to use Dungeon Fantasy as a solid base for some contrived dungeon adventures in the future, but I am already running a D&D game and I don't want to burn out. Hopefully I can get some of my usual groups to join in.
>>
>>53629967
>Negatives:
>Lots of tables
Fucks sake, I again implore the gods of sjgames to do a functional reprint of the basic set, with a better LAYOUT

Fuck you early 2000s page and table formatting! Fuck you!
>>
>>53630739
I just want less columns.
>>
>>53630739
>>53630767
There is nothing wrong with 3-colunmn layout with note block exactly in the center of page taking a slight bit of left and right column
>>
>>53629967
>DM Fort

Heh.
>>
>>53629355
>Got some fleas and rats bearing bad news for ya.

lmao. When the GM has to start pulling shit out of his ass to kill your character, you know you've done a good job making something overpowered.
>>
>>53629967
Tell me more. Tell me as much as you can. I have a group that I run Savage Worlds for, and while Savage Worlds is a good system I really really fucking hate some parts of it (the bennies some of the stupid bonus stacking rules). I was thinking of a 75 point zombie game in GURPS with 25 points of disadvantages allowed (so up to 100 points max), but the idea is the characters are supposed to be very mundane and ordinary people, just a touch of talent that might help them survive. That said I would like to have permanent injuries factor in largely to the game, which savage worlds has, hence why I was thinking Savage Worlds with gritty damage and no bennies. But the problem is, characters might still be too durable in that, and I want it to be "oh no we're in a gunfight, time to lose half the party" so that they'll use tactics and diplomacy with other groups.
>>
>>53632025
Not him, but a 75-100/-25 cap is decent if you want a gritty gurps game- you aren't going to be godly with that limit without some big drawbacks. I personally think that a no-benny game would be enough to curb the over the top issue of SW- the group I was in mostly used bennies for soaks 90% of the time before rerolling attacks. You'll still have the exploding dice issue, but it goes both ways for Players and enemies.
>>
File: 1465932782720.png (269KB, 726x1463px) Image search: [Google]
1465932782720.png
269KB, 726x1463px
>>53632025
I'll try, I guess. They were 100/-25 point characters, looks like, and they mostly turned out mundane. One thief-type, one tough guy who had a smattering of social skills, and a doctor type that had played GURPS before, so all of them were fairly competent but still entirely killable. GURPS Lite doesn't have too much for tactics, since it lacks the fully-featured combat system of Basic Set, but you can wing it if you know the system. Most of the tactics in Lite boil down to knowing when to Attack vs. Move and Attack and All-out Attack, and when to use All-out Defense. Ganging up is still a good idea.

75/-25 is a fine amount for heroic zombie campaign characters. Lite is lethal enough that you don't need to add too much to the system. Here's the cheat sheet I made (sorry it isn't very good).
>>
>>53631990
>Time period known for disease, filth, and plague
>lol gm asspul

When you're calling environmental factors asspulls, you know you've made something retarded.
>>
>>53632302
holy shit that image is perfect, thank you my man. I think I will start my group out with GURPS lite. I feel like the biggest issue will be with multiple grapplers (i.e. zombies swarming a guy) and handling the infections and everything. This looks really good tho thanks.
>>
>>53632832
Glad you like it. If you have multiple zombies grappling one person, let them grapple with a -1 penalty to grab onto an arm or a leg; that limb now cannot be used to attack or defend with, as it's grappled. For infections, you can just use the disease rules, that is, rolling vs. HT to not contract it, then successive rolls at regular intervals (one per day, hour, second, etc.) or suffer some Zombification penalty, like coughing, pain, delerium, etc., all of which will penalize DX and IQ to some extent, usually -1 to -4.

And something I forgot, but something players will definitely want: Shotgun slugs use the damage and accuracy of the lever-action carbine on page 22 of GURPS Lite. If you want to be realistic, a shotshell will do the same damage as the lever-action carbine within 5 yards, as the pellets don't have time to spread, and if you want to be really realistic, multiply DR by 4 as pellets are a poor penetrator if the target is within five yards.

Hope your game goes well!
>>
>>53633098
>Hope your game goes well!

You too! thanks anon. good rules, i wil save for later.
>>
Has anyone made a form fillable version of the third edition character sheet?
>>
>>53633916
>third edition character sheet?
1997 called; they want their Buffy the vampire Slayer t-shirt back and can give you a sense of value for mortgages in return
>>
>>53635769
I like some of the chargen rules and sheet design more.
>>
How would you make a short sword in gurps?
>>
File: Screenshot_20170605-154916.png (479KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170605-154916.png
479KB, 1920x1080px
>>53637920
>Uhhh...
>>
File: 54717_shakti_bath_0009_123_397lo.jpg (798KB, 2857x4000px) Image search: [Google]
54717_shakti_bath_0009_123_397lo.jpg
798KB, 2857x4000px
>>53637920
Armory (Small Arms) or Smith (Iron) at TL 2+ allows for the creation of short swords.

If you mean the stats, it's $400, 2 pounds, ST 8 and deals swing +0 cut or thrust +0 imp at reach 1.
>>
I keep losing track of all the neat extra or alternative rules in the various tomes and pyramid supplements.
Is there a good index out there or do I need to make one?
>>
>>53639222
Make one. Your GM should have a list of the rules they're using for their campaign.

If you're the GM, you done fucked up by not having the list.
>>
>>53639308
Dude, he's asking for a list of all the alternate basic rules. Like, a list that says
>Alternate guns -> Pyramid 3.78
>Corruption ->gurps horror
>>
File: what why.jpg (19KB, 217x276px) Image search: [Google]
what why.jpg
19KB, 217x276px
>>53639308
>implying I've ever been in a game or am planning on ever being in a game
Thanks for the answer though.
>>
>>53639222
forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=115624 Useful index of articles. Doesn't contain rules, but most articles are self-evident by their titles.
>>
>>53639543
>most articles are self-evident by their titles
Not entirely, but I recognize most of those I've read. It's quite helpful in any case.
Also I was checking the guy's site and

https://tekeli.li/gurps/rumours.html

GURPS Vehicle Design (by David Pulver)
January 2016: Final Draft
still being revised
>[ Being discussed by Kromm as of January 7th, 2011; major revised draft undergoing extensive playtest and multiple revisions as of December 30th, 2010; final draft in early 2011 probable; final problems solved and possible book expected in mid-2013; needs 3-4 weeks of time; David Pulver plans on "devoting time" to this book; David has been advised on style issues; has seen more progress; David has sent in a near finished draft; has seen some movement; has lurched forward some; still being revised ]

Jesus.
>>
>>53639397
>>53639415
Oh, my bad.

But it still shouldn't be a concern unless you're running. Your GM should tell you which rules they're running with.
>>
>>53639739
>GURPS Vehicle Design (by David Pulver)
As the semi official gurps discord says; it's in development hell for undisclosed reasons. Who knows, maybe pulver is putting foot down and wants his fuckable cats in the book for some reason.
>>
>>53639872
What would the Hnd/SR be of a meowtorcycle? At least +2/2, going by the sports bike.
>>
>>53639872
...fuckable cats? What do they have to do with vehicles?
>>
>>53639909
Pulver
That's what they have to do with it.
>>
>>53639909
Leave it to Pulver.
>>
>>53605125
Wouldn't the lower velocity that kind of crossbow fires bolts at make it easier to dodge or parry?
>>
>>53639921
>>53639928
What's the deal with Pulver and cats then?

>>53639956
Yeah, in the sense that it's easier to hit a period than a dust mote. Crossbow bolts are still moving faster than most people can react unless you've got some supernatural advantages or cybernetics.
>>
>>53639921
>>53639928
Who’s Pulver
>>
File: think about stuff.jpg (69KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
think about stuff.jpg
69KB, 600x600px
>>53639767
It could serve as a resource for GMs to help them find rules that might help with problems they're having or turn them on to potentially helpful things that they otherwise wouldn't know about.

Think outside the box, anon.
>>
>>53640056
GURPS developer/writer with a noteable affection for felines.

On another subject!
What is the best option to contribute to a fight in a TL 3 game with ST 8 and DX 12? Is there much you can really do?
>>
>>53617406
You have to plan out how you use them, but other than that they're great.
>>
Could someone explain cone attacks to me? Preferably with an illusrration aswell?
>>
>>53641409

A sling maybe?
>>
>>53641409
Using a knife and sneaking about before or during the fight and getting back stabs on the vitals.
>>
>>53641553
A con is a special area effect
It is 'range' long, and as wide as you paid for. As per b413, when you wanna throw out a cone, you choose a hex, roll to hit, and then follow the scatter rules for the actual point of origin( a hit goes where you wanted. A miss scatters, and moves the center line of the cone.)

The special bit is IF it's an emanation, you deal damage to a target in the cone equal to damage rolled divided by the width of the cone at that point. You rolled ten damage, but the target is at the tip of your 5 yard wide cone? He takes 2 damage.
>>
>>53642801
It says in the basic set to draw a line and have the cone go on either side. Is this a player's choice?
>>
File: 1384805200280.png (34KB, 1106x800px) Image search: [Google]
1384805200280.png
34KB, 1106x800px
>>53643133
No. You target your hex, follow the scatter, and then the cone extends to either side of it when it lands.

Youre drawing out the center line, each time you place a cone.
>>
>>53641409
Poisoned blowdarts.
>>
>>53613423
> So basically the GM is a metagaming cunt?

Yes and no. The GM should construct the game in a way that allows players to be challenged while doing the things they built their character to do.

In turn, they built characters that are effective in the world you put together because you communicated your expectations to them up front.
>>
>>53639872
What the actual fuck is going on with it?It's gotten to the point that they need to be frank with us because I'm actually just kind of mad whenever it comes up.
>>
>>53641409
Crossbow someone else loaded? That is REALLY weak. You are basically as strong as an average 10 year old and likely about the same size.

>>53641590

Maybe. 1d-1 pi damage allows for vitals shots, unless your GM is familair with what a sling is and adops the 'realistic sling' rules that make them do cr instead.

>>53641757

I don't know if I'd want to trust that. 1d-3 imp or 1d-2 if you get a Fine quality large knife. All Out (Strong) seems like the only way you could hope to take down someone without armor.

>>53644248

Curare and stealth? I like the idea. Slow, doesn't care how strong you are. Bad range though.
>>
>>53641590
Could also try a Staff Sling or an Atlatl (if the GM allows it) for a bit of extra damage.
>>
>>53637965
so a cutlass is exactly the same but cost less?
>>
>>53648377
Cutlass is a higher TL, so the only time you'll be using it is when you get all the buffs for the modern manufacturing techniques.
>>
In which book do I find the extra attack enhancement for making multiple attacks with one weapon?
>>
>>53648912
In Powers.
>>
>>53648917
thank you my love
>>
Are there any rules somewhere for attacking multiple people while running, in a single turn? Someone like the Flash could run through multiple people who are standing in a straight line and hit them all, for example.
>>
>>53648952
Move and Attack with Extra Attack for more normal people. The Flash has Altered Time Rate and can All-Out Attack for half move and no drawbacks because ATR. The Flash is insanely costly though, easily over 5000 points in some versions.
>>
>>53648952
Or just several successive slam attacks to literally "run through" them
>>
>>53649080
>>53649086
Okay, thanks.
>>
What kind of Disadvantages would you give someone with ATR that can't "slow down" at all? Time passes slower for them, as if everyone else is moving in slow motion.
>>
>>53630739
>>53630767
>>53630809
I'm sad to say, I prefer the 3e trade dress.
>>
>>53649471
TS gives parahumans with ETS Stuttering to represent difficulty with slowing down their speech to normal human levels; you could use that or maybe OPH (Talks too fast) [-5]. Beyond that, maybe shit like Bad Temper, Impulsive, etc.; from his perspective, everyone talks with a realllllllllly slowwwwwww drawwwwwwwwl, so he probably doesn't have the patience for most conversations. On the physical side, maybe that disadvantage that shortens your lifespan since he ages at twice the speed? There's also Hemophilia for bleeding super quickly.
>>
>>53648952
Chambara rules let you trade extra attacks for steps; with enough extra attacks through Extra Attack, Rapid Strike, etc., you could trade some of them in and still slice n' dice across the battlefield.
>>
>>53648377
"GURPS Low-Tech" gives the Shortsword a damage boost. Be sure to check it out.
>>
File: PV-11-27-05c.jpg (613KB, 1315x1314px) Image search: [Google]
PV-11-27-05c.jpg
613KB, 1315x1314px
>>53625843

This is one of my (very) few pet peeves with GURPS. Specifically, the cost of creating a "Badass Normal" one-man melee army capable of successfully defending against multiple attacks in a row from various angles is exorbitant compared to simply buying DR 10 to 20 with the Force Field Enhancement and an Area-based Innate attack capable of taking out multiple foes in one sweep.
>>
>>53655788
You're complaining it's too easy to make a superhero... And too hard to make a mundane man superhuman....
>>
File: inktober_3_by_lipatov-d9bt3lu.jpg (227KB, 900x496px) Image search: [Google]
inktober_3_by_lipatov-d9bt3lu.jpg
227KB, 900x496px
>>53656123

No. Nothing about "easy" and "hard". The competing concepts here are "expensive" versus "cheap".
>>
>>53655788
All costs are only recommendations, though. DR can be just as easily overcome, while high skill can be harder to beat. DR 20 with Force Field costs 120 points, that is without any skills, stats or anything else. Comparatively it costs 90 points to get Enhanced Dodge 6, and 25 points for 360 vision, that is 115 points for a solid 16 dodge from all directions. At this point you could also invest in Unkillable 1 [50] and pump HP to ridiculous levels.

Mundanes often get to pay more points for similar feats, but they also rarely have to deal with GM approval. Want mundanes to have an easier time? Reward higher skill with something, perhaps extra points to add into advantages that make sense. Making skill cost less will just unbalance things further.
>>
>>53655788
I think the biggest thing is that you need the right genre connections. It's a ton cheaper to build a badass normal if the setting supports it via rules like Mook Chivalry, Stormtooper Marksmanship Academy, Chambara Combat, etc.

For those in settings without that support, yeah it gets hella expensive because you're basically fighting the setting itself.

Also, Unusual Background is there as a bandaid for examples like yours; if the GM okays badass normals rubbing shoulders with literal supermen but for whatever reason isn't using the appropriate rules, he needs to charge Mr. Fantastic for Unusual Background (Space radiation gave powers instead of cancer) to avoid supers overshadowing everyone else. He may want to charge him a UB anyway even if using the proper rules.
>>
File: EmYnqLV - Imgur.gif (828KB, 720x404px) Image search: [Google]
EmYnqLV - Imgur.gif
828KB, 720x404px
>>53656533

How cheap is it to be flat-out immune to only Critical Failures?
>>
>>53656391

Dunno. DR 20 is solid from TL0 to around TL5. There was myriad ways to lower that Dodge 16 such as Deceptive Attacks, Feints, and weapons that are inherently difficult to defend against (such as tridents).
>>
>>53656757
I'd say perk level, but one skill only, requiring a SL 20
>>
>>53656803
There are*
>>
>>53656803
If you can buy DR you can buy penetration on your innate attacks or ordinary attacks. And it isn't something most people can but to begin with, let alone to such a high level. All those ways to lower dodge would require high skill to be effective, which is costly in itself as well.
>>
>>53656803
If you can get DR20 Forcefield in a TL0 to TL5 game, there's probably magic involved, and if there's magic involved, then there's probably something that can deal with that much DR.
>>
File: 1441642594787.gif (2MB, 1067x720px) Image search: [Google]
1441642594787.gif
2MB, 1067x720px
>>53604967
>he thinks that Parry 13 is high
>>
>>53658515
Last night, my party fought the boss of the dungeon. Due to my haphazard slapping-on of templates, she ended up with Broadsword-34, Dodge-13, and Parry-20 on top of Weapon Master and many other terrifying traits. I'm glad I decided to haver her Berserk trigger at 1/2HP and the party's opening salvo got some good hits in regardless.

She still killed a PC before she went down, which I have mixed feelings about. On the plus side, the surviving party members seem like they're going to be putting more thought and cash into the preparation for the next adventure.
>>
>>53658682
Those are high stats, but in my experience, numerical advantage trumps them most of the time. Unless you have ATR. But boss have ATR, and you don't, things are going south to you, one way or another.
>>
>>53655788
I don't know, it doesn't seem that hard to make a badass that could fight several people at once.

Ally (Almost always around) for a bodyguard/swordmaiden/son that is Always Around (15) and 50% points for 6 points. I know you said one man army, but a sidekick is a common thing in fiction and having someone to watch your back is very important if you don't have magic.

Can be replaced by a party member that isn't quite as good at fighting.

Next for 1 point you can pick up Shield Wall Training to avoid penalties for using a Large shield. That +3 DB is HUGE and very useful to keep you safe.

HT 12 (20 points), ST 13 (30 points) HP 16 (6 points) means attacks that get past your defenses are survivable.

4 points in Signature Gear can buy an armor suit. At TL 3 this gives you a $4000 budget, enough to get heavy mail and a plate helm. This means that the vast majority of attackers are going to hit DR 5 and deal little damage. At TL 4 your $8000 budget can buy medium plate.
>>
>>53658808
She had ATR that triggered alongside her berserk and not a lot of DR/HT (but high HP). Basically, after the party fought her normally to half HP, they just had to survive her turn, then they'd unload and kill her; not everyone made it. I thought it wouldn't be fair/would be too lethal to dump all of her excess skill into a deceptive attack, so I mixed in a rapid strike and an attack to the neck, but I guess I was wrong about that.

Man, I learned a LOT from this dungeon. Previous adventures had combat, but this was the first old-school dungeon I'd run in forever and I ended up designing a lot more enemies and running a lot more fights. I messed up in a lot of places, but my group is awesome and toughed it out. Now I'm hoping to make the next adventure better.

>>53658978
1. Shields only help against attacks from a few angles (front, front-shieldside, and side-shieldside), meaning they're less useful in a one-on-many fight (I do agree that shields, especially large shields, are worth their weight in cocaine in more even fights, though).
2. He talked about defending, not necessarily surviving or tanking. Most "badass normals" should finish fights against mooks untouched.
3. Signature Gear as written in the BS is almost always cheese, and this looks like an example of it. SG is supposed to be something unique and iconic to your character concept, not something that's just useful and outside of your budget. I eventually just concluded it was more trouble than it was worth, scrapped it, and went with the perk version that just gives and item you already own SG's plot protection.
>>
How would you stat a shoggoth or slime?
>>
>>53659200

Isn't Signature Gear one way for a poor character to own an expensive/priceless artifact outside their standard of living?
>>
File: 1454515394562.jpg (210KB, 1600x1067px) Image search: [Google]
1454515394562.jpg
210KB, 1600x1067px
>>53660265
Injury tolerance: homogenous to start with
>>
>>53660492
Only if it's a major part of their personal story. Han Solo's Millenium Falcon? Checks out; he's not Solo without his ship. A kid's supersuit he stole from EvilCorp? It's kosher; its 100% a part of his origin story. A betrayed samurai's ancestral katana? That's fine; it's a drama-volatile piece of gear. A murderhobo's sword of killfucking +99? Not gonna fly as-is.

Basically, it comes down to the difference between King Arthur's Excalibur and a fighter's +2 longsword of fire; it HAS to play a major role in the story. A starting set of DR5 armor would be a hard sell as "this is critical to my character concept--not the build but the role playing concept."

If your campaign was made into a movie, is that gear going get a significant portion of poster space? Will the character and gear be linked to the extent that people will go "that's [X]'s [Y]" the same way they do "that's Samus's Varia Suit" or "that's Maui's hook"?
>>
>>53661614
A knight or huscarl can obviously take armor as signature gear, it is iconic and a mark of status.
>>
>>53662528
I'd say no. A knight will have the Status and Wealth to pay for his armor, a huscarl might have a wealthy patron to pay for his, or a soldier might have his gear issued to him. In either case, their occupation remains the same even if they don't have their gear and it's not really central to their character concept. A knight can lose his armor or have it damaged and get another suit down the line, for example.
>>
>>53662528
A knight or huscarl should have the dang Wealth and/or Patron to get it otherwise. Also, I disagree that the armor in this case is "as much a part of your personal legend as [...] your reputation and skills."

Now, if the armor in question represents a major point in the character's life, that's something different. A disgraced "knight" may wear his father's armor while fighting for justice against tyrannical nobility, and that'd be a lot better because that armor is more than something the character wears to protect them from enemy attacks--it's a symbol and a character motivation and--this is the big one--it's just not the same if he's wearing normal armor.

SG has a purpose, but that purpose is not to get good starting gear on the cheap. If what you want is good gear, they check out PKitty's blog; he reworked the money:points ratio into something more sensible, and it's a great way to get good gear without abusing what SG was meant for.
>>
File: 1362632446677.jpg (296KB, 1430x1300px) Image search: [Google]
1362632446677.jpg
296KB, 1430x1300px
>>53662528
>>53662879
>>53662924

Really depends on the story.

If your story takes place away from a knight's estate or a huscarl's household then they obviously should not take Wealth, being unable to access it or get the $1300+ a month job they would have at home.

A knight-errant or wandering unemployed huscarl could likewise justify having their armor and arms but not a Patron or Wealth. A battered maille suit is quite mundane, but could be iconic for a given character.

>>53661614

There's plenty of fluff/story ways to justify armor as signature gear. Keep in mind that a lot of 'iconic' gear has objectively stupid backstories. The Falcon? He won it in a card game. Dorthy's ruby slippers? Her house landed on a witch. Excalibur? Watery tart threw a sword at him.
>>
>>53663639
>There's plenty of fluff/story ways to justify armor as signature gear.
I'm totally in agreement with that; I gave an example in the post right above yours. The issue with bringing SG into optimization discussions (which I think is how this topic got broached in the first place), though, is that SG is meant to be a story thing, not a mechanical optimization thing. You can (and probably should) kill two birds with one stone and tie your character's backstory to their mechanical role in the game, but when separate from that and speaking strictly of "builds,"* Signature Gear has no place.

*Really, the entire concept of "builds" in a game as versatile and GM-heavy as GURPS is faulty anyway; I vote we just drop the whole issue as silly. Anyone got a new thread topic?
>>
>>53663881
>Anyone got a new thread topic?
Copy+pasting existing shit to a new word document to tweak for players in a pain in the ass and I want to outsource it to China. Does anyone else have this issue?
>>
>>53665214
Copy pasting what kind of shit? I'm confused as to what you're talking about.
>>
File: Sharkteeth.gif (1MB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
Sharkteeth.gif
1MB, 500x281px
Lads, is there any way to make an advantage that allows a character to bend reality using words?

>inb4 source
Magane from Re:Creators. She can use words said only by other people to bend reality. So if you end up fighting her for some reason and she baits you into saying "I'll kill you with my own two hands", she makes it so it is physically impossible for you to kill her using your hands.

Of course dialogue is a bit tricky and social skills would go hand in hand. I'm wondering about the advantage itself though.
The only advantages I can find close to it are Serendipity, Visualisation and Static (Powers p. 98).
>>
>>53665309
My bad. Templates, lenses, stuff like that. Right now specifically I'm c+p'ing skill sets from Action 4 but changing them to fit the TL5 cowboy/samurai setting.
>>
>>53665694
Why not use GCS for that kind of thing?
>>
>>53665712
...Why the fuck AREN'T I using GCS?! Even if GCS doesn't have the skill sets already, it's probably faster to make them digitally
>>
>>53665792
Yeah, that's what I do, I make templates and lenses and anything new and custom (skills, items, whatever) in GCS. I kinda wish it had better support for templates and lenses, particularly for templates that instruct you to make a choice between several options, but I make do.
>>
>>53665830
Yeah, the interface is a pain. It's still faster then doing it by hand.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITauJk1PpO0&list=PLbS0HkS8Xsorrdr3pPk4lP80tUAzfyxP1&index=17

>>53602427
nice models man.
>>
File: 1362632306868.jpg (404KB, 1000x1515px) Image search: [Google]
1362632306868.jpg
404KB, 1000x1515px
How do I two-handed sword? I have played some and done some sword and shield stuff, but two handed looks harder.
>>
>>53667983
You take Two-Handed Sword skill and Greatsword. Keep your distance and retreat a lot. Buy up Close Combat to survive in close combat.
>>
>>53667983
Buy a lot of armor.
Use your reach.
When swarmed run away like a pussy or use Sweep technique like a true montantero and then run away while covering your patron's ass
Have something for close combat.
Grappling skill is must if you expect other heavy armored opponents.
>>
>>53668075
>>53668021
What sort of Close Combat? Judo or something?

>Sweep

I thought you could only do that with staffs. Sweet.
>>
>>53668157
Depends. I'd recommend wrestling so you don't have to worry about encumbrance penalties that much.
Also rondel dagger or similar weapon with bonus against chinks in armor. You don't necessary need high skill for it if you only use it against pinned opponents.
>>
Is there something that lists the advantages and disadvantages of unarmed combat skills?

I wanna know, for example, in which cases should I choose Brawling over Karate or vice-versa, or when to choose Wrestling, Sumo Wrestling or Judo.
>>
>>53668279
Anon can list the difference.

The tl;dr version is that Brawling is better if you don't plan on seriously investing in unarmed striking skills and Karate is better otherwise; it has a better damage bonus, better parries, the works, but it's also DX/H rather than DX/E so it's takes more points to git gud with it. Boxing is the forgotten middle child no one else seems to remember; it's DX/A, has shit parries, and can only punch, but it has Karate's damage bonus while not being penalized by encumbrance like Karate is, so I like using it with heavily armored characters.

Grappling is less clear-cut. Judo is considered king for most adventurers though, as its parry-throw combo makes it ideal against groups of enemies; it also has access to locks, which can be amazing. Like Karate, though, it's DX/H, so it takes investment. Wrestling is more about wrenches and a ground game, and Sumo is better for shoves and tackles with the actual grappling being a backup, making it useful insurance for armed fighters.
>>
>>53668255
Once you have someone pinned you can just suffocate them to death. What's the knife for?
>>
>>53669449
Takes minutes to suffocate someone. Open a vein or artery and people bleed out in seconds.

Less time for them to get loose, or allies to help them.
>>
What's the best practice for using GURPS dollars in the game world, particularly at low TLs?

Do you guys prefer to keep track of a separate currency and have conversion rates, or have your players just straight up use GURPS dollars for everything when interacting with in-game vendors and the like or receiving monetary rewards?
>>
>>53669681
I just come up with a name and leave values the same. No point in an exchange rate - the name of the currency adds something, an exchange rate doesn't.
>>
File: 1407191024645.gif (171KB, 583x945px) Image search: [Google]
1407191024645.gif
171KB, 583x945px
>>53669681
I tend to use $4 GURPS dollar silver coins that weigh about .06 ounces each (just a bit lighter then a modern American dime). This is in the Basic Set on page 264 and I feel like it gives a interesting option.

Base 4 prices as standard feels alien and a bit Fantasy/Low Tech. A silver mark being $4 also makes for a solid option to use as a petty bribe, to buy a quick meal or drink.

Rare gold coins are instead $80 each at the same weight (you can say they are the same size, either being alloyed with copper), and I like the way a single, thin bit of gold has that much buying power. Just flashing one can get people's attention and serve as a more serious bribe.

That said, there's nothing wrong with just using the GURPS buck rather then track what the players have to trade with.
>>
Something I've noticed is that the crit fail tables have the REALLY bad shit at the extremes (3,4 & 17, 18) and the less bad shit in the middle. This never seems to be utilised; like I could imagine for guns that more nuance could be added to failures by having them step towards the ends on the crit fail tables depending on whatever factors (cheap sword, unreliable gun, etc)
>>
>>53670407
Those usually have their own penalties. Unreliable guns often have a 'roll on every shot to see if it Sunders / explodes in your face' trait on them, for example, while swords can break much easier (except DMs never try to Sunder your shit so)
>>
>>53670407
Critical miss tables already factor in cheap-quality weapons by having them break on the average roll. That's much worse than having your weapon unready.
>>
>>53670514
What, where's that? I thought cheapness only mattered when parrying heavy weapons.
>>
>>53670528
... On the critical miss table! B556:
9, 10, 11 – You drop the weapon.
Exception: A cheap weapon breaks;
see 3.
>>
>>53668279
I'm new to GURPS and this is something I'm still working out myself but my current understanding is:
Brawling is scrappy generalist fighting
Boxing is trained punching only
Karate is trained punching and kicking
Wrestling is grappling and pins
Judo is grappling and throws
Sumo wrestling is grappling and shoving/pushing
>>
>>53670871
In one, yes.
>>
What happens when you have a SM lower than zero?

Do you just get a penalty to getting hit/spotted, and that's it? No drawbacks?
>>
>>53671281
Depends on your GM and game. Might get stuck with buying custom weapons and armor, and might get negative status for being a freak or mistaken as a kid.
>>
>>53671281
No mechanical drawback except the size modifier, yeah. Likely your GM will limit the strength of you liliputian or pixie, or have a racial template ready to use already with basic ST limits baked in.
>>
>>53671281
Negative SM has some disadvantages, like only being able to wield tiny (and therefore easily-breakable and short-ranged) weapons, enemies being able to grapple you more easily, and penalties to intimidation. See Combat Writ Large in Pyramid #77. Also, unless you can fly, you may have problems navigating environments built for normal people.

On the other hand, if you're really small, you can do things like climb into enemy armor and attack them from there. See the notes on Shrinking in Powers.
>>
>>53671281
BS says that with SM>0 you have bonus to grappling equal to difference between your SM and your target's SM. I dunno if it's supposed to apply to everyone who is larger than their target.
Also poisons affect you faster if you have lower SM. And that's all as far as RAW goes.

Martial Arts extends this just a little bit - small characters are more vulnerable to bites. Plus minor things here and there.
>>
>>53671641
>>53671558
>>53671448
>>53671445
Say someone wants to play a super-strong halfling (that's about SM -2).

He'll get a penalty to grappling as this anon said.
He'll probably need his armor custom made. (It's less material to make it, but it's probably harder to make, so I think prices will be roughly the same.)
However, can he use a greataxe? There's nothing preventing him RAW as long as he has enough ST, and this is a fantasy world where the average hero is super strong by real world standards.

Honestly I think they should have put a +10% cost to ST per SM point lower than 0.
>>
>>53671857
As gm? Go nuts
Just make sure your players know
>>
>>53671889
GURPS in a nutshell.
>>
>>53671857
In terms of RAW, at least both Dungeon Fantasy 3 and Low Tech Companion 2 have rules about using weapons and armor if you have an SM that isn't 0 in a fantasy setting. Typically, a -1 penalty to use a weapon meant for someone per each sm smaller/bigger than you, and scaling rules to make smaller items relatively weaker and lighter, and larger ones stronger and heavier.
DF3 is less favorable, and LTC2 is more favorable to people of smaller/higher SM.
>>
File: 1489597472165.jpg (116KB, 786x1017px) Image search: [Google]
1489597472165.jpg
116KB, 786x1017px
>>53672095
>TFW you just wanna run a lighthearted game of goblins and imps in the tow of a hobgoblin slaver
>They're all bumbling little goofballs with negative point total racial templates
>The hobbo is desperately trying to whip them into shape but they can't even lift some of the swords he's given to arm them with
>>
>>53672095
Oh, and one important follow-up I forgot to mention. Both have a perk to allow someone to use weapons meant for an SM higher than normal without the -1 penalty, and LTC2 has an inexpensive modifier for custom handles on weapons that allows buying a handle fitted for someone one SM smaller than the weapon's target SM.
Combining the two, an SM-2 halfling could, if it had the Giant Weapons perk (or Huge weapons, I get them mixed up all the time) and got it fitted with a special handle, they could wield a greataxe meant for humans with no penalty.
>>
>>53668279
>in which cases should I choose Brawling over Karate
If you are planning to use it while encumbered, take Brawling or Boxing.
>Wrestling, Sumo Wrestling or Judo
Wrestling if you want to grapple, Sumo Wrestling if you want to have some non-grappling techniques (shoves, sweeps), Judo if you want to throw people around.
>>
File: gurps melee.png (33KB, 710x979px) Image search: [Google]
gurps melee.png
33KB, 710x979px
>>53668279
>>
>>53673489
Neat, thanks friend.

>>53672246

Players as goblins or the hob?
>>
>playing GURPS
kek
>>
>>53678980
>>53678504
>>
>>53676462
YES
whatever happens man; I jus wanna run it
>>
>>53678980

http://www.gateworld.net/wiki/Shal%27kek_nem%27ron
>>
What damage type is better between cr and cut?

What is the best damage type?
>>
>>53682841
Crushing. I can take prisoners.
>>
As shortsword are 2-foot balanced blade for generic 6 feet human.
So will standard 4-foot balanced blade broadsword counts as shortsword for 12 feet giant?
>>
>>53683880
Using reach multiplier from rules in LTC2 it would be 3.6 feet, I guess. Also, it would have Reach 2 before bonus from your own SM.
>>
>>53683880
>>53684204

Naw, Per Low Tech Companion 2 a SM +2 Short Sword would weigh 12.5 pounds and deal swing +1 cut or thrust +3 imp. It would require ST 20 to use. Most normal weapons would be in serious danger of shattering if used to parry it.
>>
>>53683880
I would think that a long broadsword purpose made for a human would be quite different from a purpose made shortsword for a giant even if they have the same length. In particular, the proportions would be different, since the giant would need a substantially larger hilt (both in length and girth) due to his larger hands (assuming a giant is just a uniformly scaled human).

I'm sure GURPS has rules for this somewhere, but without looking it up, if the case came up in one of my games, I'd rule that a human broadsword would use the shortsword skill in the giant but with a penalty due to the sword being unsuited to his anatomy.
>>
>>53684204
What multiplier? I'm asking about standard broadsword
>>
>>53623579
Isn't a 1pt toxic damage innate attack a 1pt advantage? And don't you sum the modifiers to get the final modification percentage?

Doesn't that make this a 5190pt advantage?
>>
>>53685970
1pt is x0.25 of full cost
>>
File: 1437988617345.png (1MB, 1352x567px) Image search: [Google]
1437988617345.png
1MB, 1352x567px
>>53682858
>>53682841
You can generally use a cutting weapon to deal crush, you can't cut with a crushing weapon.

That said GUPRS is complex. You've got a ton of things to consider about any given weapon. A staff is a very powerful weapon in the right hands, even though it deals only a modest amount of crush damage.
>>
Is GURPS good for doing Call of Cithlulu inspired games set in the 1920s? I like the idea and some of the adventures but the old CoC games are pretty flawed.
>>
>>53689271
Yes. For general reading material applicable to any system, GURPS Mysteries and GURPS Horror are great reads. For 1920s adventuring, you can do it with Basic Set easily (but read GURPS Lite first for the core mechanics - how to roll, spend points, run combat, etc.). The latest Pyramid issue, #3/103 - Setbacks, has an article called "Mad as Bones," with a sanity system for GURPS. GURPS Horror also has a sanity system, but it's not as fleshed out. GURPS Horror - The Madness Dossier expands on it somewhat, or so I've heard. If you want a huge catalog of TL6 (1920s) gear, High-Tech has it, and High-Tech Pulp Guns has them too if you want period-accurate guns.

So, Basic Set + latest Pyramid issue is more than enough to run Call of Cthulhu. Horror and Mysteries have character templates you can use for NPCs/PCs to be quickly built, and Horror has a simpler alternate sanity system. Gear queers will want High-Tech.
>>
>>53687077
>A staff is a very powerful weapon in the right hands, even though it deals only a modest amount of crush damage.
Hilariously enough, it's the infamous weapon of unfortunate wannabe assassin's at my table.
Years ago in a game, we had a pacifist religious healer cleric type. The player was a gaming first timer and altogether sweet lady. And she grasped that being able to parry at +2 was a fine idea. And what would she end up doing with a stick? She felt it a nice defensive weapon.

Every single swing she ever took in self defense, every desperate panicked blow, was a natural 3 critical hit and randomly located to the skull.
No less than 5 separate occasions.

She brained enough people to have earned the permanent title of "faith killer"
>>
I like rapier
>>
What are some great post apocalyptic weapons?

Especially in a zombie scenario
>>
>>53694186
People seem like clubs, but I think wood chopping axe would be better, and is generally more useful.
>>
Would a creature that is invisible to anyone but a specific group be a limitation on their invisibility advantage or a specific advantage for those who can see them?
>>
>>53694348
Depends on how large of a segment of the population the group is. I'd lean towards it being an advantage for those who can see them if it's as unique as you're implying.
>>
>>53694298
What is the tree chopping skill?
>>
>>53694418
Survival/Carpentry/Naturalist?
>>
>>53694348
Both
>>
How would you build a character for a zombie apocalypse?

What skills would be really necessary?
>>
File: 1485532747235.jpg (318KB, 660x908px) Image search: [Google]
1485532747235.jpg
318KB, 660x908px
>>53694586
I would use the templates from GURPS Zombies.
>>
>>53694621
Would gigantism be helpful?

A decrease in st and a speed boost would be nice
>>
>>53694699
Gigantism makes it easier for human-sized and smaller zombies to hit you, so I wouldn't be super happy to take it (relative SM is a bonus or a penalty to hit in melee combat), and human survivors have +1 to see/shoot you, which is bad news when +1 can make the difference between 100 and 150 yards. Having a higher move and cheaper ST is nice, though, so it depends on what you're willing to sacrifice. Remember that SM+1 means you're gonna have to work harder to armor yourself, using more material, which should be a first priority when facing zombies, assuming the shambling infectious type.

So, pros:
>Cheaper ST means cheaper melee damage and lifting ability (a godsend)
>Higher base move means you can travel farther and get away from zombies faster
>In grappling, harder to be pinned and easier to pin others

Cons:
>Easier to spot and hit
>Armor is going to weigh more and be more "expensive," i.e. require more materials.
>>
>>53694430
I think After the End tracks your rate via the higher of ST or... I think Forestry? It's under the section on vehicles because they talk about refueling retrofitted wood-burning vehicles.
>>
>>53694878
Is armor worth it?
One could get a good dodge and acrobatics.
Combine this with a riot shield and you are very hard to hit
>>
>>53694938
If we're still talking post apoc and zombies, relying on active defenses is suicidal because I can count the number of settings where zombies operate alone and not as packs/swarms/unending tides on a single hand.
>>
What stats does a normal bike have?
>>
>>53694938
The best defense is not getting into fights, but obviously that won't be likely in the average zombie game. So that means you need to prepare for fighting, or you're going to die very fast. The good thing about dodging and acrobatics is that you can get very high defenses on retreats and acrobatic movement, and dodge isn't subject to multiple defenses penalties like parries and blocks are, by default. This means that zombies ganging up on you will, at best, be attacking you from your side hexes. However, trying to dodge 3+ attacks a round will catch up with you, you will be grappled, and then your dodge goes straight to hell.

That's where armor comes in. Even DR 1 or 2 to the torso, arms, and legs is going to make the average ST10 zombie biting for 1d-3 cr very angry trying to bite through whatever post-apoc scrap you've jury-rigged into armor.
>>
How do you carry a ton of stuff without requiring a animal or friends

TL 8
>>
>>53695116
HT230 has stats for some bikes, from TL5 to TL8.

>>53695198
Vehicles, or backpack with high ST, or cosmic payload for hammerspace.
>>
K
For my zombie apocalypse dude I'm going to make a dude with high HT

He's going to have good skills in naturalist and bicycle, as well as stealth, hiking and scavenging. He will feed himself with scavenged food as well as his fishing skill

He's going to have two titanium hatchets. As well as a crossbow.

Anything I'm missing?
>>
>>53695691
Gonna grab every bolt you use, or you planning to hope to scavenge them?

I think you might need some armorer and woodworking skills to make fresh bolts and keep your crossbow working.
>>
>>53695691
Sounds like a decent start for a character. Outdoorsman sort, probably hunts. Grab Armory (Missile Weapons) to make your own bolts. It'll be easier to help after you give us a character sheet, though.
>>
>>53695691
A Heavy Sling may be more useful than a crossbow; it has sw-based damage to the crossbow's thr-based damage, is quickly reloaded, and finding bullets is easy in nearly every environment. Trading imp for cr is irrelevant as most settings give zombies Injury Tolerance, making imp unimpressive.

At the same time, it is DX/H instead of DX/E and has a much shorter range. Lastly, a high-end, high-ST crossbow equipped with windlass will exceed the heavy sling's damage despite it being sw-based; that being said, using such a crossbow will increase the reload time exponentially--a composite crossbow with 3x your rated ST will be a beast but take over half a minute of cranking to reload, which may not be ideal when taking on multiple zombies.
>>
>>53694878
Giantism is kind of awesome.. But it's really a net drawback. This guy covers it really well but to restate and emphasize..

All "life support" items cost and weigh twice as much. You need double the food and water compared to a normal person.

Armor weighs and cost twice as much unless you use Low Tech Companion 2, then it's 2.25*.

I'd suggest it only if you plan to take at least ST 15. If you do take it, aim very hard for HP 20 to double your healing rate.

*This is also true of the barding on a horse. I can't help but think a 7'2", 350 pound man should not require QUITE as much armor as a 18 hand high, 2000 pound horse.
>>
>>53696127
You've got options when it comes to arrow and crossbow heads. Low Tech offers arrows that deal Cut damage, making them very useful for anti-Injury Tolerance (Undead) work.
>>
>>53696127
Actually I might do this
Slings are lighter and on my bike I can go 9m per sec

The fast reload and damage type make it better
>>
>>53696857
You could always go for a conventional bow. A modern Compound Bow, per High Tech, can be built with +2 ST for the same user. If you can get up to ST 15 you'd be able to shoot for 2d imp or cut, and fire as fast as the sling.

Compound Longbow (ST 15+2) for the win.
>>
>>53696857
Go for a sling if you're going to be on your bike as heavy slings are two-handed, or are you planning on biking, stopping, then slinging?
>>
>>53697342
Stopping and slinging.

You can straddle a bike while shooting a sling.

I should probably get a armory(vehicle) for my bike
>>
>>53698499
Armory (Vehicle) is about armored hulls, which doesn't exactly scream "bike." You probably want something more along the lines of Mechanic. Regardless, pick up Machinist if you can alongside Scrounging; Armory/Mechanic only really works if you have tools and replacement parts, and since you likely won't seeing as it's post-apoc, you'll need to find some with Scrounging or make some with Machinist. Note that Machinist is you're basic "make shit" skill; it isn't necessarily welding, casting, messing with a lathe, etc. and in fact exists at TL0 (we just call it Stoneknapping).
>>
To double check, if I'm reading correctly:

If I am Ambidextrous and have a dagger in the off hand and a sword in my primary, I can Parry twice per turn, once with each weapon, without penalty, correct?
>>
>>53699399
Yes; you get one parry for each ready weapon you have.
Assuming you have karate trained, you could do a foot parry as well

Each successive use of the SAME parry in a turn is penalized tho
>>
Here's an idea

If you pin a body part your opponent cannot attack with it

If you grapple a head you cannot be bitten

Could you make an uber grappler to fight zombies?

Especially sense a tonfa is a C weapon

You could also speciallize in chemistry and demolitions to make grenades for larger groups, gunpowder is the best for this

What do you think?
>>
>>53700176
I think I'd be happier to be up on a rooftop, far away from the nonsense below

Or on a shop, in bermuda
>>
>>53700176
So, while you're grappling one or two zombies, what are you going to do about the rest of the zombies that want to chew on a piece of you?

Although a grappling skill would be useful for emergencies, like when a zombie jump-scares you out of a corner and you have to wrestle it away.
>>
What is the best armor to wear in the zombie apocalypse?

Low tech armor

High tech armor

I want it to weigh little
>>
>>53701094
Leather clothing has enough DR that biting through it is quite a challenge, especially when layered with regular clothing, and is light enough while also providing warmth and style.

That last bit is as important as the rest.
>>
>>53701204
Do you increase the dr if it is a lower tech level than the current one(8)
>>
What is more efficient with RPM, investing heavily in thaumatology or buying the individual colleges of magic?
>>
>>53701204
>Leather clothing
Why not actual motorcycle riding gear? It would resist to biting even better, have sections reinforced with very strong plastic, and is also quite good at being warm.

I'm not sure how well GURPS represents modern riding gear, but you could probably stat something out even if GURPS hasn't already.
>>
>>53701094
Modern PPE is really good, per High Tech. Grab Riot Gear across the arms and legs for DR 3 and cover the chest with any sort of frag vest.

If you want cheaper, Light Body Armor is very good and can also be used to represent professional personal protective equipment. Not very useful for rifles, but it's DR 4 and cheap as hell.

Low Tech armor is great.. but it's heavy and very expensive.

>>53701247

High Tech has an optional rule that doubles DR of TL 4 and lower metallic armor made from modern materials.
>>
>>53701247
Not unless it's metal (P. HT65); tanning, treating, and turning a cow's hide into a leather jacker hasn't really changed that much in terms of results.
>>
What's a good way to handle small scale military operations?

My players are going to be part of a raid, and there's going to be around 30 NPCs on their side and some 60 enemies. That's too much to do straight up combat, even if I break it up into multiple encounters. I'd also like to take leadership into account.

Is there a GURPS book or article that can help me with this? I know there's GURPS Mass Combat but I'm not sure that's what I'm looking for, or maybe it is since I haven't actually read the book yet.
>>
>>53701410
What about weight?
>>
>>53701502
High Tech page 65. Read yen symbols as X, formatting issue.

>Versions of the low-tech armor on pp. B283-284 still see use at TL5-8. Notably, scuba divers and industrial workers wear high-tech mail, while reenactors construct modern versions of ancient armor from TL8 materials. Steel (TL5). Metal armor (mail, scale, plate, etc.) and shields built using TL5+ steel and machining enjoy twice the DR of their low-tech equivalents; cost and weight don’t change. Alternatively, halve cost and weight without doubling DR. Smart Foam (TL8). This foam is made from “shear thickening liquid” – a substance that is normally quite flexible but becomes rigid on impact. It’s concealable under normal clothing. It provides DR 4 vs. crushing damage, DR 1 vs. all other damage. Weighs the same as cloth armor, but cost is ¥10. Titanium(TL8). Metal armor and shields made of titanium offer the same DR as their low-tech equivalents at 1/3 normal weight. Cost is ¥5.
>>
>>53701465
What I'd do: Script the operation out and figure out how it will go if the players (basically) achieve their objectives and do their part. Think of areas where they might help or hinder the rest of the unit. Different parts of the operation aren't "on screen" and don't get rolled out by you, they go according to script unless the player's actions change something.

Give the players a few chances to intervene and make important choices.
>>
>>53701465
Just have the focus be on the PCs and who they're currently fighting. There's no reason to game out at any level of abstraction what the NPCs are doing; the operation succeeds if the PCs do any fails if they do.

Is it realistic? No. Is it dramatic? Yes. Is it simple and easy? HELL yea.
>>
>>53701465
>>53701610
Is mostly right, but I wanted to add to that, for the record, Mass Combat would work in this situation, but it might still not be the best because it deals with a lot of logistics and stuff that might be below the threshold of what you are dealing with.

And in any case, like >>53701610 said, it would basically recommend playing out the PCs actions for reals, and then abstracting the rest of the combat as two or three dice rolls per each half hour of battle.
>>
>>53701254
No matter how high your thaumatology skill is, Paths at default can never exceed 12, so that should answer your question.

As for how to buy up the Paths, I recommend that one or two Paths should see major investments, a couple more should be secondaries at around 4-8 points, and auxiliary Paths shouldn't get more than 4. Of course, this is very contingent on a) your points budget, and b) if your GM is using Trappings/Decanic, Zodiacal, and Planetary Trappings.
>>
>>53701610
>>53701587
>>53701690
Right, thanks. I'll see what I come up with.
>>
>>53702660
The defaults thing sucks. Adding on the 40 point ritual path adept tax makes this very impractical for average point values.
>>
>>53702839
Adept isn't for normal people though; I've always considered that a badge of the archmage. Instead, focus on upping skills and making oodles of conditional spells and charms; plan ahead, play smart, and be Batman with your prep time.

Also trappings. Trappings out the ASS, *especially* if your GM is using decanic trappings; you can easily get a huge discount on all your rituals with a chosen path by investing some cash in an expensive reusable trapping. IIRC, I made the most blatantly wizard thing ever in my pursuit of decent decanic discounts, with my main thing for Path of Undead being a tall ebony staff topped with a goat skull and gold coins hung from the skull with spider-silk threads. Yes, it screamed "I'm a wizard, and an evil on at that," but it got me a sizable discount and let me swing way above my weight class in terms of Path of Undead rituals. The staff also led to some fun scenes in and of itself because of its total lack of subtlety.
>>
So for apocalyptic defense

Active or armor, any other ways to defend ones self?
>>
>>53702985
Since you seem rather knowledgeable on magic systems, what is your personal favorite and why?
>>
>>53703181
Distance. Don't get in hitting range.
Stealth. Don't let them know you're in hitting range.
Dudes. Let other people get hit before you get hit.

Preferably, you would combine these. When you have a gun, and eight of your buddies have a gun, and whatever poor bastard doesn't see you before you see them, it's an easy win.

>>53703190
RPM is up there, but right now, my favorite is Sorcery. Sorcery is incredibly flexible, easily matchable to the setting, and, best of all since I have a group of mostly newbies, uses the same rules as character creation, meaning that's one less thing for me to teach and them to learn.

Check the OP for a pastebin; I'm the same fag that wrote the magic system comparison originally. Since then, Sorcery has gotten a legitimate splat and barely edged out RPM as my favorite, RPM has gotten a DF-friendly remake called Incantation Magic, and I've also fallen in love with Imbuements, which is technically a magic system I guess.
>>
What does the asterisk next to the DR of the armor mean?
>>
>>53704112
Flexible, I believe. It should be listed at the beginning of the Equipment chapter in the Basic Set, but basically, flexible armor is vulnerable to blunt trauma
>>
>>53703181
>>53703380

Armor is vital. There's a huge number of threats you'd run into After the End, like primitive firearms, arrows, shotguns and people with close combat weapons where even relatively cheap, DR 2-4 body armor provides a vital layer between you and getting worn down by hits that do damage in the range of 1d.

That said, you also want stealth and to manage you exposure. Use cover when you can and fight on your own terms when you can.

Note that if you go After The End some mutant characters can hit the "fuck it, tank" method of survival. Brutes with Redundant Vital Organs can beat a man with a handgun to death with their bare hands.
>>
>>53699441
So I can:
Knife parry (no penalty)
Sword parry (NO penalty)
Karate foot parry (NO penalty)
However doing any more of these is a penalty, even if I have 2 feet right-o?
>>
where can i find groups to join online or in person for some hot gurps action?
>>
>>53706586
You can ask around here, check out gamefinder threads on /tg/ though that's meh and try out Roll20.

For in person games, try game shops and maybe collages.
>>
>>53705773
True
>>
If I have two alternate abilities/attacks, and one of them has a "takes recharge", am I prevented from using the other as it is on a cooldown? How about one persistent attack and one that isn't?
>>
File: cover_lg.jpg (273KB, 505x739px) Image search: [Google]
cover_lg.jpg
273KB, 505x739px
Hey would any of you bros be able to post GURPS SWAT to the Mega?

You're my bros!
>>
>>53709085
Yes.
>How about one persistent attack and one that isn't?
I'd say aoe disappears the moment you switch to another ability.
>>
How much would a shipping container house and a large plot of land cost?
>>
File: 14154605169750.jpg (99KB, 492x696px) Image search: [Google]
14154605169750.jpg
99KB, 492x696px
Is SM+7 Skyship is fine enough to act as base of operations and Enemys General non-boss Battleship?
>>
>>53709466
I..guess? It depends on what your players have. Are they like specops, or do they have a warship?
>>
>>53709763
Rebels [wannabe pirates], who hijack docked ship.
Actually they will hijack it tomorrow.
>>
>>53709853
Unless they're able to seriously upgrade, a battleship is an outright boss fight in itself.

If you want something nonboss, cruisers tend to be fairly tough ships and they're actually expected to operate solo for extended periods.

Battleships, as a rule, never travel unescorted unless the organization supporting it is just fucked like IJN at the end of WW2, or the Kriegsmarine before DDay
>>
Does independent (Powers 108) work with Control (Powers 90)?
>>
Something to think about gurpsgen
Hard tack (high tech 34) in crate form keeps forever and feeds a man for 16 days

If you buy enough of it for 400 days it costs 625 bucks

Extremely cheap way to supplement a zombie apocalypse farm.
>>
>>53710373
That's assuming there is that much to buy in the middle of an apocalypse. They could be $1 for a month's worth; it doesn't matter if you can find any in the first place.
>>
>>53710373
$625 feeds one man for 400 days; add in the rest of the party (to say nothing of NPCs) and you're down to a few months.
>>
>>53710798
Yea and at tech level 8 starting money is about 20,000

Assuming you all spend 625 of that you could have a good time
>>
>>53710831
>Assuming you all spend
You might be missing a logical step

During the apocalypse, you might have trouble shopping. What with the apocalypse, and all
>>
>>53710730
Well yea
However if you are starting at day 0 it is a nice purchase
>>
>>53710865
Well it's not like hard tact is that hard to make

Flour water and salt

Just raid a grocery store or something
>>
>>53710892
>We need food, guns, bullets, batteries, generators, fuel, medical supplies, or literally anything else.
>Just raid a store or something.

Fucking hell man. People start pulling EVERYTHING off the shelf if there's a power outage for more than four hours; in an actual apocalypse scenario, stores would be emptied in 20 minutes. Only way you're getting anything is if you're first in line, and that's just begging to get shived and your shit stolen.
>>
>>53711121
Or

You could play a crazy prepper that has a ton of supplies in his fortress of doom
>>
>>53711233
Then you've won the game, please make a new character and have raiding your original characters Fortress of Doom as being a raid objective.
Thread posts: 329
Thread images: 50

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.