[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Experience and gold - buying EXP and its in-universe justifications

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: let's go do an orgy.png (296KB, 306x428px) Image search: [Google]
let's go do an orgy.png
296KB, 306x428px
There are many ways to earn experience points: you earn a bunch by beating monsters, dealing with traps and puzzles, overcoming challenges, roleplaying your character, and "story awards". And that's all very well: completing weird adventures and seeing new places will teach you stuff.

But there are also games, especially older ones, where you gain experience when you find treasure. Sometimes that works - finding the stuff isn't necessarily easy or simple - but it's usually tied to the amount of gold rather than the amount of challenge, meaning you could just as well just trip to the stuff and gain the full reward. Stranger still, in many of these games it's a common rule (a houserule at the very least) to give more experience when you spend the gold in partying or helping the poor or other such things, rather than on immediately important matters like buying supplies and magic items.

All these considerations usually have a reason for why they work the way they do - early D&D was more about finding treasure than anything else, for instance - but any manner of in-universe explanation is rarely, if ever, offered. So how does it work, /tg/? How does stumbling upon a treasure chest teach you to be a better fighter? How come you learn something about thievery when you spend that money on ale and whores, but not if you just buy yourself a new sword?
>>
I like to explain it out as morale.

Finding a huge pile of gold really cheers you up. Spending it on getting drunk even more so. Giving it to the poor gives you warm fuzzy feelings and reminds you what you are fighting for.

Your level isn't just your objective skill and fighting ability. A happy fighter fights harder than a sad glum one.
>>
>>53594780
Yeah, R&R is pretty important. Adventuring is a job, and a tough, dangerous one at that. You have to be desperate, brave, or stupid to go crawling around in monster-infested dungeons for a living, rather than just farming turnips. And while buying better tools is important, so is actually enjoying your life, especially because you might end up impaled on a spear trap next time you go delving.
>>
>>53594734
HoMM3 is a good game, mate
>>
>>53594734
I always handled it this way.
>"Evil" solutions to quests offer more gold
>"Good" solutions offer more experience
Good is thankable, evil is bankable.
>>
File: valeria-styajkina-.jpg (278KB, 900x1200px) Image search: [Google]
valeria-styajkina-.jpg
278KB, 900x1200px
>>53594734
Don't forget that we're talking about the world of magic and wonders, where what is real and common sense can be far different.

Hell and Heaven can be an actual places you can visit by foot, cloud is as good as any other place to build a tower, and so is karma can be a far more "tangible" force here.

And HoMM3 is indeed a good game
>>
I always liked the idea that with money, the adventurers can buy either tomes to study or lessons from trainers. Maybe they became better fighters from killing those monsters but without someone to refine it into a fighting style, its not gonna be much of use. And for spellusers, a tome of "How to be efficient at spellcasting 101" is an idea
>>
>>53596340
Simplistic, but accurate and pithy.
I like it.

I have tended to reward evil solutions with material extra rewards and good with allies as extra rewards.
I've recently tried approaching it with a less polar mindset, with mixed results.
>>
>>53594780
>Finding a huge pile of gold really cheers you up. Spending it on getting drunk even more so. Giving it to the poor gives you warm fuzzy feelings and reminds you what you are fighting for.
Your experiences may vary. I'd rather buy a farmland and let the poor work there to earn their keep.
>>
>>53594734
I think it was one of the much older editions of DnD, but you got tiny bits of XP for "adventuring" but could pay the local wizard NPC to magically provide more XP in return for gold, magical loot, ancient secrets, etc.

This also lead to a game where everyone was much more cautious about traps and combat because "beating" encounters was high risk for low reward, but avoiding them entirely could still get you the treasure needed to level up.
>>
>>53596299
nobody argued against that
>>
>>53597296
No one with any sense would, yes, though I still prefer 2.
>>
>>53597320
2 is simplistic - acquire Ghosts, win everything forever
>>
>>53597343
Agreed, but it both looks and sounds better.
>>
File: 30 minutes or it's free.gif (835KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
30 minutes or it's free.gif
835KB, 500x375px
>>53596632
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xpURSoE_Ng
>>
I kinda like the idea that your level is less so much a measure of your martial might but instead is your fame, your status as a hero (or villain or whatever) etc.
You spend money drinking or giving to charity or whatever and your legend grows, stories get told of how you slew the Goblin King, helped keep the orphanage from having to close down and how you drank the local tavern dry.
>>
>>53594780
>>53598815
But then on the other hand, what about all those mysterious wanderers that no one knows about, grim and humorless and dark and strange, yet incredibly formidable in battle? They'd go well against these principles.
>>
>>53598882
Exception that affirms the rule, anon.
>>
>>53598882
They tend to get a different kind of legend than the ones that interact more.
Less "hero" more "cryptid"
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.