[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Please tell me a story how you left D&D, found another system

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 9

File: 14285124166830.jpg (61KB, 604x604px) Image search: [Google]
14285124166830.jpg
61KB, 604x604px
Please tell me a story how you left D&D, found another system with players for it and still living happily ever after.
>>
>>53594447
I never needed to leave D&D as my group played several other systems before it and none of us liked it when we eventually got to it.
>>
>>53594447
I stopped playing the game, looked for other systems, and played those...? It's not hard to do. You just need to do it.
>>
>>53594447
>Be the late 90's
>Playing AD&D
>In the year 2000.
>Suddenly 3.Apocalypse
>Luckily, also playing OWoD
>Leave D&D forever.

I returned briefly for the tacticool board game that was 4e.

Still playing OWoD, Burning Wheel, and Cyberpunk2020.

Feels great man.
>>
>>53594447
>Please

No thanks.
>>
File: 1495118040500.png (1MB, 1186x2062px) Image search: [Google]
1495118040500.png
1MB, 1186x2062px
>>53594447
I still play D&D 5e for campaigns that fit it, but I play other systems too.

I really don't understand why you shitburgs think you can play only D&D or no D&D at all.
>>
>>53594447
I picked up other systems. It's not hard.
what happened to the creator of that webcomic? Did she become too neurotic to continue working on it, or what? Or am I just outta the loop?
>>
>>53594447
My group has been casually trying different games. We've tried shadowrun and ACKS after moving on from PF and dnd 5e. We've gradually realized how futile it is to have excess game rules and cumbersome mechanics, so we're moving toward simpler and faster games that let us have fun without getting in the way as much.

We're meme-loving cancer and enjoy shouting anime references mid-game, so tomorrow we're trying out a JoJo-inspired Wild Talents/Monsters and Other Childish Things game.
>>
>>53594447
The group DM stopped running dnd and started running L5R instead, as he liked the game so much. Now I'm the guy who runs L5R.
I'd assume the trick is the GM just running whatever they want and the players not being dicks about it.
>>
>>53596353
This. My policy is I´m gonna run the game I like, and my players play It. They understand that I put so much effort in my games that they have to let me play whatever I want, if I do it well. I have the decency in return of trying to look for something that hook us all, but is my call.
>>
>>53594468
Holy shit are you me.
>>
>>53594447
What is with all your shitposting today?
What happened? Mommy said no chicken tendies for dinner today?
>>
>>53594447
I tried and couldn't and now I play 5e.
>>
>>53594447
One day, one of the player said "I want to GM Star Wars FFG and Call of Cthulhu"
It was good.
We never looked back and never played D&D again.
Fin
>>
File: 1437520330132.jpg (172KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
1437520330132.jpg
172KB, 600x450px
>>53596889
Anon from the campaign idea thread here.
Now I get it. You're tracking down every post against D&D and accusing those anons of being one and the same person.
>>
>>53594521
This is pretty much my story but with GURPS, L5R, and 7th Sea. Right now my group is playing Deadlands and L5R. Tonight Simeon Rook, is going all out against Dr Jon Dupree on account of what he did to those girls back east. The mad doctor will pay for his crimes against nature.
>>
>>53594447
My group was never exclusively wedded to D&D, but it was our go-to for that genre of gaming. We just houseruled it to hell and back as needed.

When I learned Fantasy Craft, I pretty much fell in love since it accomplished a lot of what I'd been aiming for quite nicely. I introduced my group to it, and now I'm playing in one FC campaign and running another.
>>
>>53597019
There's four trolls that like to chat about how much D&D killed their parents and how they've sworn revenge.

You're best off not defending shitposters like that.
>>
>hey guys I found a system better than 3.5 here's a rundown
And so we played Fantasy Craft.
>>
>>53596889
I was irritated and sad about 5E's lack of hit locations, melee attack options, bounded accuracy, other reasons. Wanted some examples of people getting decent players with less known systems because I don't really want to autistically homerule 5e for years. And just take a system better suiting my needs instead.

Got some support over in /5eg/ and couple of other places though, 5e might work out.
>>
>>53597060
The only shitposter I can see is you.
D&D (specifically 3.5 and 5e) being irredeemable dogshit is a perfectly normal stance to take.

Besides, the only thing I'm upset at D&D for killing is itself. The D&D Next playtest was so promising until they stripped it of every interesting element to arrive at the marketable mush that is 5e.
>>
>>53597108
>hit locations
>>
File: 1343780391319.png (94KB, 206x225px) Image search: [Google]
1343780391319.png
94KB, 206x225px
My first game was a oneshot of D&D. After the game was over, a few of the other players sat me down and basically gave me a quick chat along the lines of:
"Did you notice how that was awkward, confusing, and unfulfilling? Now that you've seen D&D you'll be able to appreciate what else we have to show you."

They invited me to a WoD group, a few months after that I started GMing a group playing random fan systems I found on the internet through that I met enough people that I've never been short of a game since, I've never touched D&D since apart from the occasional one shot to confirm that it's still transcendentally awful.
>>
>>53597163
I'm glad that you didn't even try hiding that you were just a retarded troll for longer than a few seconds.

Makes dismissing you that much easier, you sad little bitch.
>>
>>53597246
Dismissing? You sound awfully upset for that. If anything, you're validating my stance.
>>
File: 1370843590279.png (262KB, 830x824px) Image search: [Google]
1370843590279.png
262KB, 830x824px
>>53597212
To be clear, I've tried to avoid playing the same system for more than a year or two, keeps things from getting stale, makes sure that I have a good network to compare systems and recommend shit to others etc.

For instance, I just can't play DH derived games anymore. I've played a campaign or two of every single book in the series at this point and I am just not convinced that there is any conceivable storyline or specific encounter capable of being depicted in that system that I haven't effectively already experienced. The only thing I can think of is a game of Rogue Trader played like, *normally* or *as intended*, but I'm not convinced it would even be that fun given the threadbare profit factor mechanics.

I also try and make my own system from scratch every couple of years, just to see if I can hit on a good paradigm, it's sketchy for sure, but I'm improving, and I maintain that everything I have made is fun to play at least once.
>>
>>53597298
Here's a final (you). You sound like a particularly thirsty troll.
>>
>>53597181
What's wrong with hit locations? They make combat descriptions flavor mechanically meaningful.
>>
I like D&D 2e quite a bit.
It was rules light and had a ton of neat optional rules and splatbooks.
I fucking hated what I played of 5e though.
Our group has tried a few games but we mostly stick to D&D and MAID.
We plan on trying CoC, Dark Heresy, and MaOCT in the near future.
>>
>>53597495
You're taking the words right out of my mouth.
Thanks for letting me have the last word, I guess.
>>
>>53594447
I was lucky, I started gaming at age 5, and my group had old grognards who'd ditched DnD a decade earlier.
>>
>>53597566
Not that anon.
Nothings wrong with hit locations. DnD's not the system for it though.
>>
>>53597212
I'm not sure this actually happened. Why would a he run a system he hates? A reasonable person would just say he doesn't like D&D and he thinks the group would enjoy something else. Running a game no one will enjoy to prove a point is just autism.
>>
File: 9k=.jpg (57KB, 500x649px) Image search: [Google]
9k=.jpg
57KB, 500x649px
>>53594447
GURPS 4e man, took me to a beautiful place where people could actively dodge and parry attacks, people had believable amounts of HP, and the system could handle umpteen times more levels of versimilitude I dare not list here now. Sufficed to say, it rocks.

There is hope; just play *anything else*
>>
>>53597181
>>53597566
>>53598041

Yeah, D&D doesn't seem to be the system for them, bounded accuracy in 5e narrows number ranges to work with in terms of additional hit location bonuses/penalties.

https://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/72836/aiming-at-specific-body-parts
>>
>>53597060
Some people say it to shitpost, but the culture that grew up around 3.5 has done some great disservices to roleplaying.
>>
>>53598675
Are we talking about 3.5 here though? No one ever brought up the edition in the OP. None of the "Have you tried not playing D&D?" -trolls ever do.
>>
>>53598675
I remember AD&D, with tournaments and grognards and the like. Far worse than anything that came before or after.

And, none of that is as bad as the modern system war bullshit. It's fucking ghastly.
>>
>>53598779
It's generally assumed that we are.
On this board, "D&D" without further specification usually refers to 3.5 or 5e; 4e and pre-3e D&D tend to be named specifically.
>>
File: 1415392634379.jpg (52KB, 640x683px) Image search: [Google]
1415392634379.jpg
52KB, 640x683px
>>53594447
I was a kid. I played my first RP system, GURPS, in 5th grade. In 7th, me and a friend tried out D&D together to see what the big deal was. We got bored halfway into a dungeon. Trashed it and never went back. Turns out I missed absolutely nothing. The end.
>>
>>53597212
>Be FM
>RPG newbie at the table
>Run the game I like least
>Be sure to point out that its terrible, and that I just waste 2-5 hours of his life
>Expect newbie to return

Probably untrue, but it can be funny to read some of the made-up stories on /tg/. This one fell a bit flat. You need to add some embelishment or details
>>
>>53598894
Even several years into 5e?
>>
>>53600907
Yes. 3.PF is quite the tenacious curse.
>>
>>53600990
>curse
I really wonder how long your obsession and butthurt will last.
It may be decades at this point.
>>
>>53601012
Hypocrite
>>
>>53601012
I wouldn't call it a curse but it's a pain that DnD 3.X, and 5E crowd out other systems, especially when those systems might be better for a given setting or tone but are crowded out by DnD
>>
>>53601060
You act like you've somehow diminished your own obsession and butthurt.
>>
>>53601012
Dawnforged, is that you?
>>
File: ChFjAw5U4AAkQ1C.jpg (136KB, 500x687px) Image search: [Google]
ChFjAw5U4AAkQ1C.jpg
136KB, 500x687px
Switch to RIFTS in the 90s never looked back, way better system way more detailed world and megaverse.
>>
Step 1
Show friends anything that isn't D&D
Step 2
Play it for a session or two
Step 3
Another system becomes standard

gee that sucked, right?
>>
>>53597181
>filename 30 years
>image 20 years

What's the truth.
>>
>2003
>found out about role-playing games
>started with BRP-system
>had a lot of trouble keeping players interested
>everything was annoying
>stuck with it because didn't know better
>finally broke down
>decided to try D&D
>actually good
>find people to play with
>live happily ever after

...wait
>>
>>53594447
Well, i started with subtle things like sw saga edition and 4e. Then, as the forever gm i began learning more and more new systems on my own. This finally culminated in me running said systems and introducing new players to those systems. We finally began tuning things in almost anything but dnd.

However, we are like a beaten housewife, we keep going back just usually not for long
>>
>>53603680
>>53603742
>was told I shouldn't come back
>Game ended up being cancelled, only I was the only one told
>I did end up sleeping with her a few times
>I kept him in his place

I'm getting a feeling that you are possibly the worst person in this thread.
>>
>>53603869
>every game he's in implodes
Sounds like it.
>>
>>53594447
I didn't because my group refuses to play anything other than Pathfinder despite spending every session whining about how garbage the system is.
>>
>>53594447
I didn't. D&D has it's uses, other systems have theirs.

D&D is about shared experiences and big-ass community. You can tell your tale to thousands of people and they will get it. It's great to play it with people you barely know - if you all know the system and meta-lore, you all are in, whether DM's using published setting or not.

Games that are not so popular are for you and your close circle of friends. Your oh-so-original setting,your unwritten lore known only to you and your gang. And rule set that was chosen because it suits your game.
>>
>>53594447

There's one guy in our group that has never played anything except D&D.

We've run quite a few non d&d games they were generally well received, albeit one offs.

The next campaign we're playing is a non D&D system and I'm really hoping it takes off well enough that we never have to play D&D again.

Otherwise I'll just look for a new group or maybe our group will split into two different groups, one wants that wants to continue to play d&d and another that wants to play another system. It's as simple as that and very anti climatic but I guess that's what happens when you play with a group of reasonable adults and not a bunch of man children.
>>
>>53594447
This happens to most people sooner or later. Once they get over themselves and stop being afraid of trying something new.
>>
>>53598134
>>53598978

Don't believe anyone that says they play gurps OP.

No one plays gurps. At most they just read the book and *wish* they could con someone into dming it for they let alone play it
>>
I found Shadowrun and lived happily ever after
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.