[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - D&D 5th Edition General: Larry Elmore Edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 318
Thread images: 28

File: IMG_6215.png (3MB, 1600x797px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6215.png
3MB, 1600x797px
D&D 5th Edition General Discussion - Conquistador Edition

>Unearthed Arcana Update
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/unearthed-arcana-update

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
https://mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Last Thread:
>>53584201

Nothing says adventure like Larry Elmore!
>>
>>53589339
Welcome, sai.
May you never forget your father's face.
>>
Second for Thay!
>>
File: IMG_6214.jpg (98KB, 800x312px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6214.jpg
98KB, 800x312px
>>53589375
Yay for Larry Elmore!
I fapped it a lot to the barbarian chick on these covers.
>>
>>53589375
God, I remember seeing this art when I was like 10 or 11 whenever my cousin would log in to play EQ, it's what made me be interested in the game in the first place.

They don't make them like that anymore.
>>
File: IMG_6217.jpg (270KB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6217.jpg
270KB, 1440x900px
>>53589375
>Nothing says adventure like Larry Elmore!
What about Clyde Caldwell?
>>
>>53589435
No. No they do not.
Larry Elmore IS D&D to me, what with him doing all those Dragonlance covers and his 1e art stuff.
>>53589447
Caldwell is good, but he needed to keep his dick under better control.
Apparently once he made Margret Weis run crying from the room because when he showed her art of Goldmoon (first Dragonlance art ever) he, and I quote Miss Weis "made her look like a whore".
>>
>>53589470
Can I take a look at that art?
>>
File: Alchemist - Touch of Class.pdf (1MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Alchemist - Touch of Class.pdf
1MB, 1x1px
Thoughts on this Alchemist Class?
They have one subclass that kind of lets you be a Witcher (on page 9)
I wanna know if it's balanced and whatnot
>>
File: IMG_6218.jpg (50KB, 323x480px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6218.jpg
50KB, 323x480px
>>53589486
This is it, if I recall.
Clyde Caldwell's like KFC; he's all about the breasts and legs and thighs.
>>
File: IMG_6219.jpg (287KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6219.jpg
287KB, 1024x768px
>>53589519
Compere Mr Elmore's still sexy but much more conservative version of Goldmoon.
>>
>>53589388
>May you never forget your father's face.
Long days and pleasant nights, friend.

I've got an ASI and I don't know what to do, /5eg/. I'm a Sun Soul Monk 6/Hunter Ranger 4. STR: 10 DEX 16 CON 14 INT 10 WIS 16.

I'm vacillating between Sentinel (combined with Horde Breaker would be a possible 6 attacks per round), Tough (for 90hp), Martial Adept (Riposte, Disarming strike) or just up Dex or WIS.

So confused... what do?
>>
>>53589535
>Level 10
>Still haven't maxed dex
Get on this, now.
>>
>>53589535
I'd go for DEX increase, simply because you're probably going to start finding it harder to hit things soon.

Why did you multiclass into Ranger to begin with? Extra damage along with Hunter's Mark?
>>
I wish our group had someone who could draw.
We made a deal that if the party makes it to the end then we'll just commission some art from someone. Six players plus DM so it wouldn't even be that expensive if everyone pitches in.
>>
Oh shit, I understand the Stream of Annihilation. Everyone everywhere who died and who was raised will die within 30 days. Because Acecerak seriously fucked with something involving necromancy.

This is fucking cool.
>>
>>53589561
That's always nice when you can find someone like that.
Speaking as someone who's worked with artists regularly and has one as his best friend, they are like the absolute laziest people in the world when it comes to their creative work though.
Regular jobs they're fine about, but actual drawing is something else.
>>
>>53589548
>>53589558
I was out of the for a while (left at lvl 6 and came back just at the end of 9). Basically for the sake of the fluff the DM came up with to explain the absence, I wasn't able to be much of a Sun Soul. Also yes, hunter's mark, cure wounds, d10 hit dice.

>>53589570
FUCK. Was that today?!?
>>
>>53589561
You want drawings done of the characters?

And depending upon how detailed you want it, that stuff could be pretty affordable. In most cases a color bust shot from most artists would be like 20-40$ USD a person.
>>
>>53589570
I'd ask what the fuck Acecerak is even doing in Faerun, but honestly when you get as powerful as that guy you kind of can get to other worlds pretty easily.
>>
>>53589604
Depends on how the campaign goes. Maybe if we're feeling like it we'll commission a big group picture with all the player characters and a few key NPCs.
If we can agree on an artist to commission from that is.
>>
Considering letting everyone get either a free feat at level 1 (and just remove variant human), or make feats not take up your ASI.

Hmm.
>>
>>53589627
>make feats not take up your ASI.
That's a bit much.
>>
>>53589630
Is it, though? Stats still can't go beyond 20 without items.
>>
>>53589590
The first stream was today, yes. There's still more games/announcements on the stream tomorrow, and that's probably when they'll officially announce Xanathar's Guide to Everything.
>>
>>53589627
I just gave everyone a free feat of their choice at level 5, a free skill feat at level 10 and they'll get another free feat at 15.
>>
>>53589627
Give them a single free feat alongside their ASI at 4th if you want a powerful party. Keep everything else about the game the same.
>>
>>53589634
I was panicking until I remembered the D&D channel didn't require a subscription to watch past videos.

>Xanathar's Guide to Everything.
Neat.

>>53589643
I kinda like that. May steal it, actually. Thanks.
>>
>>53589634
What's that supposed to be, anyway,
>>
>>53589657
We'll find out tomorrow.
>>
>>53589656
>Xanathar's Guide to Everything

it's not confirmed, but they do have a wood print looking thing of the cover for it hanging up on the set, which is what is making us speculate about it being the other announced product.

Ideally it'd be a thing for players to have, and probably be something akin to SCAG, where it has a bunch of archetypes from the other planes out there, maybe includes the Artificer and Mystic from the UA for a public release, and have some generic fluff about the other planes and how they've shaken out so far in terms of 5e stuff.
>>
File: DBViwisU0AAHDj7.jpg (412KB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
DBViwisU0AAHDj7.jpg
412KB, 1536x2048px
>>53589657
All we've got is a tease, of what can be assumed, of the limited edition cover that's hanging on the wall. My guess is something like the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide, but written in more of a Volo's Guide style.
>>
>>53589734
>maybe includes the Artificer and Mystic from the UA
Definitely not. They just put them in the DM's guild for further play testing.
>>
>>53589746
To go along with it for those unawares of who Xanathar is, he's basically a Beholder crime lord in Waterdeep, who's been operating in the city for several centuries.

I know some anon mentioned that he was related to Planescape in some fashion, but I don't know if that's true or not.
>>
>>53589754
It's possible that if the book is sent to the publishers for final proof reading and printing in Winter 2017 for a release in Spring 2018, they could get enough feedback in the 5-6 month period to work the kinks out.

And honestly, Artificer is in a fine spot, it's the Mystic that needs to get some balance done to it.
>>
>>53589766
I know who Xanather is, and I in fact know that the last Xanather wasn't even the original one, it's just that a "guide to everything" is a pretty vague term, heh.
>>
So what would be the best option for a Jackie Chan style monk? I know Drunken Fist is a thing, but I want less that and more improvised weapons and the like. I want to make a man who would be a terror in a ladder factory.
>>
File: Ryder confused.gif (4MB, 280x302px) Image search: [Google]
Ryder confused.gif
4MB, 280x302px
>>53589794
>Artificer is in a fine spot
Huh?
>>
>>53589812
You don't think the Artificer is balanced? What makes you think that it isn't?
>>
File: Mike Mearls.png (1MB, 1147x761px) Image search: [Google]
Mike Mearls.png
1MB, 1147x761px
>>53589794
>balance
pic related

>>53589811
Open hand, tavern brawler, and the ervish language.
>>
>>53589837
Oh boy, here we go.
>All of alchemist's attacking options target dexterity save. Anyone who played a cleric for a week will tell you that this is terrible.
>Speaking of alchemist, the only thing that improves about you is your damage dice. All the options that are available to you in the end are available to you in the beginning, there's no progression or improvements.
>Gunsmith also has troubles with his gun, but they are more related to it's snowflake status.
>Mechanical servant is overpowered on the level you get it on, then becomes useless almost immediately. I also call into question the decision to give an alchemist or a gunsmith a robot in the first place. What was the though process here?
>Your class features can literally be destroyed or stolen, forever, without an ability to replace them.
>Every class gets something cool on level 11, except for artificer.
I can go on and on about the problems of this class.
>>
>>53589885
Please do.
>>
Plane shift requires a forked metal rod attuned to a plane of existence.

- How do you attune a rod? Do you have to be in that plane?
- Are they common? Rare? Nonexistant?
- How many rods is an adventurer expected to have?
>>
>>53589610
Making zombie dinosaurs in Chult.
>>
>>53589919
- Depends
- on the
- setting
>>
>>53589936
>>53589919
This basically. See page 46 of the DMG.
>>
Since Resurrection/True Resurrection doesn't require the whole body, just part of it (like a finger), would it be possible to cut off the finger of a corpse, resurrect the individual from the finger, and then make/animate an undead creature from the rest of the remains?

For Resurrection (and maybe True Resurrection) you have to destroy an undead creature before it can come back to life, but what about creating an undead from the spare remains of a person who's been restored?

In my game, one of the PCs was killed by vampire bite. The player's took the body to an alchemist "ally" who used only a lock of hair to resurrect the PC. In return for the resurrection the alchemist asked for the rest of the body as payment under the guise of wanting to harvest it for alchemical components (the PC was a rare race).
The alchemist intends to complete the ritual to turn the corpse into a Vampire Spawn and take control. What should happen according to RAW/RAI?
>>
Well there goes my campaign concept. Tomb of Annihilation includes possible alliances with a tribe of grung. Back to the drawing board I guess.
>>
>>53589894
Let's talk about the thunder cannon. It's a firearm that deals 2d6 damage and is described as "punching through armor with ease". Speaking of which, it costs 15 times less than plate armor.
Now, logically, what would follow is a revolution in warfare. Every army in the world would be equipped with thunder cannons - a weapon much better than both a bow, and a crossbow. Fantasy as we know it would end.
Except... It won't happen in your 5e game, and not only because your DM won't let guns phase out conventional weapons. It's because gunsmith is physically incapable of smithing guns. He gains one at level 1, yes, and he can make a replacement if he ever loses it somehow - but he can't mass produce them.
Why? There's no reason why. This is why I called artificer's gun a snowflake weapon with snowflake rules.
>>
>>53589885
>All of alchemist's attacking options target dexterity save. Anyone who played a cleric for a week will tell you that this is terrible.

I agree, but these are things that can be changed/balanced, or they add in new ones (throw a flask, force a CON save or take poison damage or cold damage, Blind a foe, etc., etc.).

>Speaking of alchemist, the only thing that improves about you is your damage dice. All the options that are available to you in the end are available to you in the beginning, there's no progression or improvements.

You do get more flasks to throw as you level, and the Healing Drought is always going to be a strong healing option.

>Mechanical servant is overpowered on the level you get it on, then becomes useless almost immediately. I also call into question the decision to give an alchemist or a gunsmith a robot in the first place. What was the though process here?

To me, I think they wanted the servant to actually be it's own archetype but couldn't balance it in time for the first release, so they just let you get a "free" familiar.

>Your class features can literally be destroyed or stolen, forever, without an ability to replace them.

I'm pretty sure the class says that if the magic items they make are stolen or destroyed they can re-make then at 1/4 the cost and in like a third of the time.

>Every class gets something cool on level 11, except for artificer.
This is a valid argument. For me, I'd say something like a "flask launcher" for the Alchemist, so they can fire flasks up to 60 ft. away, and for the Gunsmith either new, elemental ammo or they get Extra Attack, and can reload their gun mid-shot and not have to use their bonus action to reload it.
>>
>>53589957
I would say so. Resurrection brings the soul back to the body. Animate dead just fills them with necromantic vitality.
>>
>>53589973
>You do get more flasks to throw as you level
You pick your best 3 early on.

Then you just slowly add the shit ones to your list.
>>
>>53589971
>but he can't mass produce them.
Citation needed.
>>
>>53589973
>I agree, but these are things that can be changed/balanced, or they add in new ones
You literally just said it's "fine as it is".
>You do get more flasks to throw as you level
Yes, but will it feel like an improvement? You will be able to choose more shit that you could already pick at level 1. It's like cantrips. And most of those cantrips don't even scale! They're as good at level 1, as they are on level 20.
>To me, I think they wanted the servant to actually be it's own archetype but couldn't balance it in time for the first release, so they just let you get a "free" familiar.
You've just said it's in a good spot and fine as it is. No changes needed, release now.
>I'm pretty sure the class says that if the magic items they make are stolen or destroyed they can re-make then at 1/4 the cost and in like a third of the time.
Actually, no, it doesn't say it at all.
>This is a valid argument. For me, I'd say something like a "flask launcher" for the Alchemist, so they can fire flasks up to 60 ft. away, and for the Gunsmith either new, elemental ammo or they get Extra Attack, and can reload their gun mid-shot and not have to use their bonus action to reload it.
What happened to the good spot?
>>
>>53589971
So you'd prefer it if the Gunsmith had to do something like the Gunslinger archetype that Mercer brewed up, where they get a "Tinkerer" check and have to spend time and money making their guns, and then have to pick from a list of guns for cost to make and time spent making them?
>>
>>53589975
>>53589885
Flask improvement and an 8th spell aren't cool, but they're something.

>>53589999
[SPOILER]Nice Quads [\SPOILER]
>>
>>53590011
I would prefer if they didn't insert guns into settings that neither have nor need them just becase Mercer and Paizo did it, but we can't have everything we want, can we.
>>
>>53589975
It's just that. given you have to destroy the undead in order to resurrect an individual that is currently undead, it seems like the soul is being tied up in some way from being undead.
So it seems like making an undead version of some who's currently alive should be impossible?
>>
File: 1404329922099.jpg (16KB, 213x237px) Image search: [Google]
1404329922099.jpg
16KB, 213x237px
>>53590017
>but we can't have everything we want, can we.
>>
>>53590011
My group has a Gunslinger.

He comes up with some odd invention and if he puts in the thought, and passes the checks, he gets to do things that reflect the fact that his character is a blackpowder snorting maniac of a dwarf.
>>
>>53589994
The burden of proof is on you. Look at artificer's class text and find me anything that implies that gunsmith can create thunder cannons in any other circumstances than losing his. You won't find anything like that.
>>
File: 1458844108341.gif (989KB, 245x191px) Image search: [Google]
1458844108341.gif
989KB, 245x191px
>>53590044
>>The PHB doesn't have rules for making ice skates, so you can't skate on ice.
Thank the gods I don't play D&D with you.
>>
>>53590028
The undead knows where it is at all times. It knows this because it knows where it isn't. By subtracting where it is from where it isn't, or where it isn't from where it is (whichever is greater), it obtains a difference, or deviation. The necromancy subsystem uses deviations to generate corrective commands to drive the undead from a position where it is to a position where it isn't, and arriving at a position where it wasn't, it now is. Consequently, the position where it is, is now the position that it wasn't, and it follows that the position that it was, is now the position that it isn't.
>>
>>53590054
Not him but
>The PHB doesn't explicitly say my Fighter can't walk through walls

There are some things mundane or simple enough to be taken for granted, like being able to ice skate or play a ball game. Other things, like mass producing incredibly powerful, inexpensive class-centric weapons, are less mundane and cannot be taken for granted.
>>
Speaking of artificer and snowflake rules, alchemist's potion pouch has a lot of the same problems that thunder cannon has. You take a potion out of your limitless supply of them, and you have to use it the exact same turn - or it doesn't work.
I understand why it exists - it's to give alchemists an attacking option to use every round, while preventing the tactics like "Let's sell my infinite flasks of alchemist's fire" or "Let's load my infinite flasks of alchemist's fire on a cart, and then blow up a mountaint with them", and personally, I can suspend my disbelief.
Some of my players and DMs, however, can't, and alchemist's pouch provoked even more complaints from them than thunder cannon.
>>
>>53590065
You're right, my sentence was needlessly convoluted.

Is this from somewhere btw?
>>
>>53590017
But the whole thing about the, "no guns" argument is that by the 1500s we were starting to see very early forms of guns showing up in Europe, and for a time the two co-existed. It's only after technology improved and further refinement of guns that we saw them overtake armor and we got the Britich Redshirts and crap like that.

So for me, if some wackjob is lucky enough or smart enough to invent a gun that doesn't blow up in his face, good on him. It's gonna cost a shit ton of money to keep working, but it's possible.

And most fantasy games tend to want their "technology level" be in that Renaissance-era. Guess what? At the earliest that's in the late 1300s, but most consider it to be the mid 1400s and at it's height in the 1500s.
>>
>>53590073
>>53590044
Compare the stipulations of the Thunder Cannon to those of the wizard's Transmuter's Stone.
>>
>>53590078
No, I'm just brilliant.
>>
>>53590080
But the thing is, thunder cannon is already pretty much a flawless firearm. More powerful than a crossbow, slightly more expensive, doesn't blow up in your face, can be reproduced in three days. You talk about technology improving, but the technology is great and refined already.
>>
>>53589936
>>53589952
What would you make the attunement process consist of?
>>
>>53590093
it's a "flawless firearm" because it uses Magic to not blow up in the Artificer's face!

Most early guns had like a 1 in 9 chance of exploding due to imperfections in the making of the barrel or over-packing it with gunpowder.

And my guess is that the Artificer themselves doesn't want their gun design to go out into the wild, because of the fluff around the class; they're semi-crazy inventors who are experimenting with mixing technology and magic together in new and exciting ways. They're also implied to be perfectionist to a fault, which is why they probably have built-in "fail-safes" if their gun is stolen, to prevent someone else from pirating their design.

If you want to have there be a villain Artificer who wants to make guns be usable by all, then use the Tinkerer and Misfire rules that Mercer made for the guns he sells, and that his personal gun doesn't have them because he's using the money to get everything perfect for his gear to work.
>>
>>53590108
Depends on where you want to go. Let's say it's the plane of fire. You would have to do one of three things: 1) find a portal to the fire plane and attune a rod there. 2) Find a library and study the process over a course of a few days. 3) Find a group of druids who specialize either elemental fire magic, or planar transportation.
>>
>>53589975
It seems weird that you can't cut off a piece of a zombie and resurrect the original person from that, but you could resurrect an individual from a finger and then make a zombie from the rest of the remains.

Why is it that in one case the soul seems to be tied up in some way by the presence of the undead, but in the other the soul is not?

Also, if a character were to die while their zombie-doppelganger were still animated, would you not be able to resurrect them, since there is an undead version of them around?
>>
>>53590093
>You talk about technology improving, but the technology is great and refined already.

Artificers do really need a way to get +1 etc guns. Since they make their firearm but have no access to making + items.
>>
>>53590092
>>53590078
>Is this from somewhere?
It's from a bullshit speech about convoluted missile guiding systems.
>>
File: gunslinger.pdf (4MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
gunslinger.pdf
4MB, 1x1px
>>53590093
that is the problem with artificer.

gunslinger is so much better because it takes into account misfire, maintenance and repairs while allowing customization.
>>
>>53590157
>It seems weird that you can't cut off a piece of a zombie and resurrect the original person from that
I'm not sure that I would rule you couldn't. The old body would remain a zombie and you would clone it with the finger and insert the (willing) soul.
>>
>>53590195
Yeah, when I first read Artificer, I was surprised to see the Gunsmith section. It just doesn't seem to fit.
>>
>REE GUNS RUIN FANTASY

do all of you fuckers run campaigns in westeros or something, jesus christ
>>
Looking at Trip attack for Battlemaster

>When you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you can expend one superiority die to attempt to knock the target down. You add the superiority die to the attack's damage roll, and if the target is Large or smaller, it must make a Strength saving throw. On a failed save, you knock the target prone.

What does it make a Strength saving throw against?
>>
>>53590224
A bit early in the morning for such vitriol, isn't it, friend?
>>
>>53590209
That seems like a perfectly valid ruling, but I don't think it is RAW/RAI exactly, given the wording of the Resurection spell.

>"You touch a dead creature that has been dead for has been dead for no more that a century, that didn't die of old age, and that isn't undead."

Unless a finger severed from a zombie is considered a dead creature that isn't undead, but then that hardly seems what was intended.
>>
>>53590230
Maybe read the whole section first before running to the internet.
>>
>>53590230
Battlemaster Maneuver DC
8+Prof+Str/Dex
>>
>>53590252
>and that isn't undead
That bit wasn't in the description in my spell sorter. Good to know.
>>
>>53590261
Thank you sir.

>>53590253
That's what the internet is here for. To show my why I'm stupid.
>>
>>53590223
and the construct is a clear sign of that. Something nailed on for both archetypes yet its doesn't make a whole lotta sense. gunslinger and alchemist should be their own classes, each with archetypes.

>>53589492
like this
>>
>>53590230
The Save DC is 8 + prof mod + Str or Dex mod as per page 73.

Since many maneuvers require saves they put the DC in one place along with where it explains the dice, rather than writing it out everytime
>>
>>53590243
...You know what, honestly, it is. Here, let me ask instead, are there any good homebrews for guns out there? Arcane Artillery went a little overboard especially with their custom class, and the DMG ones are a little out of whack.
>>
>>53590017
>I would prefer if they didn't insert guns into settings that neither have nor need them
Guns have been in the Core for D&D at least since 3e.

Thats a really dumb argument. Hell, they're not even out of place for the rough historical period its generally modeled after.
>>
>>53590265
True Resurrection doesn't have that bit though, but does require a "free" soul.
>>
>>53590243
It's High Noon somewhere in the world...
>>
Anons, please don't be lazy and leave feedback on artificer and mystic. Registration on DM's Guild takes just a minute.

http://www.dmsguild.com/product/213032/Unearthed-Arcana-The-Artificer-Class-5e?src=newest
http://www.dmsguild.com/product/213033/Unearthed-Arcana-The-Mystic-Class-5e?src=newest
>>
>>53590295
Oh, okay. That's the spell I was looking at.

>>53590296
Not anywhere that matters.
>>
>>53590283
the DMG guns are slightly overpowered, if you tone the damage die down by one size it's probably fine. At least, for the antique and modern firearms.

I personally treat the futuristic ones more as a Wand of Necrotic/Radiant Damage with X changes and no way to recharge them for anyone that doesn't know a level 13 Wizard.
>>
File: 1395777062910.gif (3MB, 480x320px) Image search: [Google]
1395777062910.gif
3MB, 480x320px
>>53590276
>To show my why I'm stupid.
>>
>>53590044
"I give my thunder cannon to the dwarf. Oh, look, I no longer have a thunder cannon, I guess I have to make another."

It doesn't require attunement. There's even rules for training people to use it, since it likely requires a dedicated proficiency (I don't believe it's stated to be a simple or martial weapon so even the fighter's "simple weapons, martial weapons" proficiency wouldn't apply). You can just give it away, and make another if you're so inclined.

The thing that makes the artificer shit isn't its balance as a class, it's the fact that it defines its whole own set of completely arbitrary rules for crafting its items that just don't apply to anything else, leaving the game's own rules for crafting as shit. That and the alchemist's concoctions being a magical fucking pouch rather than actually doing any alchemy at all. It's thematically shit, ignores problems in the base game, and shouldn't be in there at all - but balance wise, it's probably fine.
>>
File: 1482485826248.jpg (63KB, 564x916px) Image search: [Google]
1482485826248.jpg
63KB, 564x916px
>Be cleric
>Leveling from 1 to 4
>Can't damage anyone with Sacred Flame, because everyone has a high dexterity save
>Get to level 4
>Get to pick a new cantrip
>Toll the dead, a 1d8-1d12 necrotic cantrip targeting Wisdom
Finally. All will fear me and rejoice.
>>
>>53590365
If you are looking for damage I would recommend a Guiding Bolt spell, it's a level 1 spell but man is worth it.
>>
>>53590383
I can't spam Guiding Bolt every round, anon.
>>
>>53590398
Why do you need to spam something?
>>
>>53590440
Because I need to do something in the rounds when I'm not using my precious few spell slots. What kind of a retarded question is that?
>>
So /5eg/ I have a player who wants to take up the DM mantle at a later date. Does anyone have any personal favorite modules or one-offs to run for a first timer? Also any tips I can give them?
>>
>>53590468
Lost Mines of Phandelver is usually advised, but fuck that shit. Curse of Strahd is your adventure. He's gotta learn shit won't be easy for him.
>>
>>53590468
>Listen more than you talk.
>>
>>53590365
I love Toll the Dead, I always shout "SINNER" every time I use it
>>
>>53590468
Depends on what kind of thing he wants to run? Its always best to first run what you're most comfortable with, Social encounters, combat encounters etc.

>>53590482
>Curse of Strahd is your adventure.
Running House of Death would definitly be a throwing into cold water kind of thing, but could be good if he wants to kill everyone horribly.
>>
>>53590496
>throwing into cold water kind of thing
I'm not familiar with this expression. Please explain.
>>
>>53590511
"Throwing someone into water to teach them how to swim" might be the more well known form of the saying.
>>
>>53590511
It's the same as throwing someone learning to swim into the deep end of the pool. It's either learn fast or drown.
>>
>>53590496
I get the feeling it's closer to combat encounters for them as that's something they know fairly well.

I know that he has an idea of developing his own world, which is a big task for a first time DM.
>>
>>53590520
>>53590527
Gotcha.
>>
>>53590486
I'm playing in roll20, and I've renamed 1d8 version into "Stressful incantation" and 1d12 version into "Doomsay". I always say something accordingly grim, while my character points fingers omniously.
>The reckoning is near!
>>
>>53590532
If your group is a cooperative bunch it might be good to run something like the Out of the Abyss first part, the slave escape. It has fairly limited options for the players initially so he has time to get used to the pacing and has some options for RP bits but not really to a mandatory degree, so he can have it be as combat heavy as he wants.
>>
>>53590600
Oh, that sounds good! I will recommend that to him.
>>
>>53590539
Same with the pointing, can never do without the pointing
That's pretty cool, never thought about separating the 1d8 and 1d12 chants, good idea!
>>
What's the biggest problem with 5e's system right now, in your opinion?
>>
>>53590778
Gnomes.
>>
>>53590778
5 man development team with no budget.
>>
>>53590778
>>53590808 This probably, means less content which means less options
>>
>>53590808
Apparently they brought in the creator of Adventure Time to help write Tomb of Annihilation.
>>
>>53590778
The inability to build a character that excels in a skill, unless you go rogue
Lets just say I wanted an acrobatic ranger - at level 8, at +4 dex and +3 in acrobatic proficiency, you only have like a 75% chance to beat out a regular guy (no bonuses to dex or acrobatics) trying to do the perform the same action. And even then, your particular investment into the skill only accounts for 40% for your advantage, meaning against you as the exact same character minus that investment is more like 60%

I like the banded design they have going on, but I think for DCs for skill checks there should be a liiitle bit more of an expansion, with proficiency bonuses coming a little bit more often.
>>
I'm creating a bard/sorcerer as a boss and I'm trying to change Unearthly Chorus to suit combat. Any suggestions? It's a lvl5 party of 3/4 if that helps.
>>
>>53590856
They added some feats that can make this happen also bards can do it as well.
>>
hey does anybody know where to find free versions of old resource books? im trying to find "ed greenwood presents elminster's forgotten realms."
>>
>>53590011
Its funny that Mercer's homebrew gunslinger is miles ahead of an official release on the concept. They should hire him to make a few UA. or print the ones he's already made.
>>
>>53590863
>feats
Considering how -very- few and far between they are, how useful they are for the meat-and-potatoes of the game (combat) and how badly falling behind with your stats puts you because of the banded accuracy mechanic, there is very little incentive to pick one of these feats. At least with other systems you didn't need to shoot yourself in the foot if you wanted to specialize with a non-combat skill.
>>
>>53590868
That's only kind of old; it was made right near the end of 4e I believe.
It's technically not a D&D game product, because there are no game rules in it whatsoever; it's an entire book on world fluff basically.
>>
>>53590808
>DnD is gaining ground with new players more than it ever has
>budget and team size is the lowest its been in years
Damn shame, we're hitting a huge bottle-neck now.
>>
>>53590889
thats why i want it really. I enjoy reading this sort of stuff to find something i would like to add to a campaign (ie. the enclaves that fell to the ground after karthus' folly).
>>
>>53590899
You probably won't find anything like that; it's not even about the setting's history, it's more like the society itself.

That said, here's a link to it. This one's mine.
https://www.4shared.com/s/f1BigaLcLce
>>
>>53590874
Let's see how his book turns out first.
>>
>>53590920
Fair enough, I think he's got huge talent in terms of actually dm'ing and his other homebrews are pretty well thought out and balanced. I'm interested to see if he can handle a whole book though.
>>
>>53590915
Thank you! i am trying to find out a bit about the structure of an order featured in it.
>>
>>53590895
This is true, but the slower pace has meant that they can sort of assimilate the affect each release has on their fanbase more then they used to.
Plus, I'm not sure how many of the brand-new players actually CARE about new adventures and settings; like it as not, most of them probably don't know fuck-all about campaign settings at all and it's just the older players that care about that stuff.
>>
>>53590963
Any other books you're looking for?
And which order, I might be able to point you in a better direction then that book generally does.
>>
>>53590011
Are the rules for Mercer's gunslinger written down anywhere? I'd kind of like to see them. They seem fairly well balanced.
>>
>>53590844
Well, safe to say I'm no longer excited for that adventure then
>>
>>53590981
the followers of Tempus
>>
>>53590974
I miss all the settings fluffbooks, but true enough new players probably won't really care about places they never heard of.
Older editions had the benefit of having a lot of novels which brought interest to specific settings (avatar series got me caring about the different gods, haunted lands made me fall in love with thy, eberron books were so gud with their new take on things), too bad the sales started dying down and WotC cut down on the authors
>>
>>53590999
Read the thread.
>>
>>53590931
His DMing is amazing and improv is godly but all of his encounters seem to stem down to a big bag of meatpoints against 7 PC's. I hope I see one of his good encounters soon.
>>
>>53591016
Oh, you mean the religion itself?
There's some on them in there, sure, but they get mentioned in a bunch of places since Tempus is a major deity.

You can find more on them in Faiths and Avatars here.
https://dnd.rem.uz/Advanced%20D%26D%20(unsorted)/Faiths%20%26%20Avatars.pdf
They're in the 3e book Faiths and Pantheons too, but that's basically just a reprint with less information.
>>53591017
I miss them too, but I honestly don't NEED new fluffbooks to use old settings anymore except for maybe the unique monsters which I can substitute easily enough for other ones in most cases.
>>
>>53591048
I blame the broadcast setting, if he threw anything really dangerous at them it would piss off some many idiots it would be unreal. Also his PC's are pretty fucking OP.
>>
>>53591065
The Raishan fight while in Thordak lair was great, people were going up and down almost every turn.
>>
>>53589811
tranquility = i don't want no trouble
>>
>>53591082
Yeah, easily one of the most entertaining fights. Also the one where people were flipping their shit at how "unfair" it seemed. I can't stand how they treat him sometimes when he actually doesn't pull a punch.

All in all thought both Raishan fights were great.
>>
Question: can a battlemaster/monhun fighter waste all their superiority dice on a single strike? IIRC the wording does not prohibit using multiple maneuvers in a single turn, or applying maneuvers to òther maneuvers like in case of making a melee weapon attack from a Riposte and then maybe applying disarming strike on top of that. What is your stance on the issue, /5eg/?
>>
Going to DM for the first time soon, going to be using the starter pack. Any tips or advice?
>>
>>53591065
>the broadcast setting
... the internet?
>encounters seem to stem down to a big bag of meatpoints against 7 PC's
I agree. They'res been almost no dungeon crawling since the the underdark in the very beginning. I miss that.
>his PC's are pretty fucking OP
The items he shat out are way to powerful with 5e's bounded accuracy.
>>
>>53591118
Yeah the internet setting, anytime he does anything remotely dangerous people get pissy about it. Also factors into him pulling punches because people are attached to the characters beyond just the player.
>>
>>53591057
Dude thank you so much. I was searching for an hour and a half and couldnt find much more than on the forgotten realms page!
>>
>>53591109
>IIRC the wording does not prohibit using multiple maneuvers in a single turn
You can use as many maneuvers as you can do attacks in one turn, so you can also use that many Superiority Dice in said turn.

>can a battlemaster/monhun fighter waste all their superiority dice on a single strike?
No, because you can only use one Maneuver on one attack.
>>
>>53591117
If you don't know the rule to something (like somebody wanting to be thrown by another player- I don't even know if there are rules for that), just make something up on the spot and check it out later after the session is finished
Try not to let the game get stalled by rule-checking
>>
>>53591048
His PCs have an absurd amount of magic items because they converted directly from Pathfinder with its christmas tree preference for magic items, and he made a couple of mistakes with them in the process because he didn't realise how overpowered they'd end up.

Case in point, the bard has a hand cone, non-attuned, that gives him +2 to his spell save DCs. And he already has 22 Charisma. He was dominating fights and that was before his absurd Persuasion and Deception was factored in for social stuff.
>>
>>53591126
>the internet setting
As opposed to fucking what? Radio?
>pulling punches
He did just kill his fiancé.
>>
>>53591131
No problemo anon.
>>
>>53591139
Well, they're only 3 levels from starting a new game at level 2 or 3. It should get better.

Don't know what I'll do without Grog, though...
>>
>>53591132
>No, because you can only use one Maneuver on one attack.
I'm sorry, but where does it say so? I genuinely cant find that.
>>
>>53591189
>Maneuvers. You learn three maneuvers of your
choice, which are detailed under "Maneuvers" below. Many maneuvers enhance an attack in some way. >>You can use only one maneuver per attack.<<
Page 73 PHB. Under the Battle Master entry.
>>
>>53591189
Literally the first paragraph if I remember correctly. You're like the third person this week. What's up with people?
>>
>>53590965
>Skyrim, but if Alduin blows everyone up after 50 in-game day/night cycles
>Just Cause or any Far Cry, but if you don't beat the bad guy in six hours of play all his soldiers everywhere turn into invincible tanks and instagib you
>MGS V, but if you pet D-Dog too many times or fail to stop Fedora Skull in six hours, METAL GEAR homes in on your location every time you start a mission and runs straight at you at 200mph while firing missiles
>Dead Rising, but your newspaper editor has a deadline in six hours and is going on vacation for three months immediately afterwards / the only tube of Zombrex is at the end of the game and your stupid daughter is getting hungry
>>
Anything interesting on the stream after the meatgrinder?
>>
>>53591245
Nice strawman. How about we talk about the great game of the old, Fallout 1?
>>
>>53591245
Dead Rising does have a timer, you dope.
>>
>>53590874
>Its funny that Mercer's homebrew gunslinger is miles ahead of an official release on the concept
Well, he made a martial class, while the other UA full classes are casters. Gee, who woulda thought the combat-only classes with no powers would be easier to balance close to their peers than the reality-warping not-wizards whose players are a bunch of insufferable elitist faggots?
>>
>>53591219
Thanks for cleansing me of my beastly idiocy.
>make archetype based on combat expertise
>cant make any combos or deliver singular devastating blows even though the total resource cost would still be the same
Wizards of the coast, not fighters that can boast ok? Braise Vecna :DDDDD
Still though, this leaves the question about Riposte in particular open, since its not applied to an attack but rather grants you one.
>>
>>53590252
RAI is just "no you can't instantly defeat the undead by casting Ressurection"
>>
>>53591271
But that's the point. He made the gunslinger a martial class instead of stuffing it into Artificer.
>>
>>53591285
I don't think he's worried about defeating the zombie as much as returning the person to life.
>>
>>53591278
>cant make any combos or deliver singular devastating blows
But you can make combos? Using multiple maneuvers in one turn is pretty much a combo, and you you do 2-4 attacks per turn as a Fighter, depending on your level.

>Still though, this leaves the question about Riposte in particular open, since its not applied to an attack but rather grants you one.
I grant that its not completly clear cut, but since you spend a superiority die automatically on that attack, I'd rule its already enhanced by a Maneuver and can't have another one used.
>>
>>53590011
I we could just put the gun rules in the DMG in a setting book with a feat to ignore loading.

Seriously, you don't need an entire archetype focused on using 1 weapon.
>>
>>53590017

That won't happen while Forgotten Realms is the flagship setting.

Gond would not approve of people retconning guns and smokepowder out of existance.
>>
File: neverhappenpixy.png (597KB, 898x572px) Image search: [Google]
neverhappenpixy.png
597KB, 898x572px
>>53591311
>you do 2-4 attacks per turn as a Fighter, depending on your level
This twisted meme needs to be reset.
>>
>>53591354
>That won't happen while Forgotten Realms is the flagship setting.

What setting even has no guns at all? Dark Sun?
>>
>>53591354
Lantan blew up and had to be retconned back INTO existence.

>>53590017
Forgotten Realms already has spaceships so I don't really see the problem.

Plus, go ahead and give your PC a gun. He's not going to find a +2 Rifle of Flaming or Bullets of Smiting in a fucking tomb that's been sealed for centuries. And is anyone selling blackpowder in whatever Dirtghanistan your party is running around in anyway?
>>
>>53591373
Eberron doesn't have guns at all. Which is why this version of artificer - originally an Eberron class - feels weird to me.
>>
>>53591358
If people can say a Paladin's Divine Strike is a big boost in damage, that Hunters can use Volley and that casters can get 6th level spells. Then Fighter gets 3rd attack.

Seriously, you have to play with retards if you don't ever go to high levels. I met a group on Roll20 and we've been playing weekly since December, we're currently level 13.
>>
>>53591358
Whut
>>
Newish DM here, I had a quick question about players disagreeing with DM's and arguing about ability checks.

Last session, I got into a discussion with a player when I wanted them to make an investigation check about finding tracks/footprints on a path. He said that it should be a survival check not investigation, then I said well let's just call it an investigation check for now then we can look it up later. Unfortunately he didn't want to drop it and kept saying it should be survival. In the end he went with investigation but I felt like it really disrupted the flow of the game.

I'll admit, after looking through the PHB, I was wrong and he was right but I really felt like he should have just gone with it rather than arguing and brought it up at the end of the game. Am I in the wrong here or was he arguing with the DM too much?

Don't want to make it a "he's right/ im right" kinda thing, just genuinely curious about how that kinda thing goes down in other peoples games.
>>
>>53591388
>Eberron doesn't have guns
>but you can pop on down to the willawonks and buy five Wands of Magic Missile for the price of a box of jammy dodgers
>>
>>53591392
WoTC did the research, and it turned out that the absolute majority of groups never see 10+ levels.
>>
>>53591373
Dark Sun has biotech weapons in the form of weird Geiger-esque manta rays that wrap around your wrist and drink your vital fluids to create neurotoxin-tipped spines that it launches pneumatically.

But it also doesn't have any gnomes, and that's more important.
>>
>>53591408
Sure, yes, exactly, but that's the point. Eberron doesn't have guns - their niche is occupied by wands. It doesn't have nukes - it's niche is also occupied by magic. No planes - just gigantic ships controlled by elementals.
Magic does EVERYTHING in Eberron.
>>
>>53591142
Permadeath buddy, not his slap on the wrist shit.
>>
>>53591311
I know, and in my game I'm actually using evasive footwork to intentionally provoke AoO with enhanced AC followed by Riposte to effectively get an extra attack for a measly cost of 2 superiority dice but I'm still salty over how unimpactful maneuvers are. Never again am I getting memed into playing a full martial.
>>
>>53591392
Congrats, Anon. I'm surprised you have to play online when you could just hop on your fucking unicorn and fly across the rainbow to your friend's house where the snack bowls refill themselves and no one has familial or work obligations.
>>
>>53591407
He should've went with investigation and shown you it was survival after the game.
>>
>>53591388
I'm not sold on Artificers needing to have or build guns, but its not like they would have been particularly out of place in Eberron to have lightning-slingers or some other sort of magitech firearm.
>>
>>53591443
>Warforges get firearms
>Literally
>>
>>53591424
>Dark Sun has biotech weapons in the form of weird Geiger-esque manta rays that wrap around your wrist and drink your vital fluids to create neurotoxin-tipped spines that it launches pneumatically.
Why can't other settings be as great as Dark Sun.
>>
>>53591407
I mean... arguing in game sucks... but you really should know what each ability check is for before you start DM-ing. That's 101 shit.
>>
>>53591426
>i don't like technology but i do like magic that is superior in every way to technology
Okay, well, my house Canananananaanaan artificer stuck a magic missile wand into a metal tube with a handle on it that looks like a revolver and you put six pieces of magically-charged metal into it and whenever you pull the trigger the magic missiles fly out but they magically attract those metal pieces (let's call them "bullets") and fly into the enemy
>>
>>53591463
Gnomes
>>
>>53590195

>Misfire
>A misfire breaks the gun until you repair it and it can't be fired.
>Everything except derringers has a misfire of 3 so even with the -misfire mod you've still got a good chance to break your pistol with each shot.
>The moment your gun gets wet, it takes a full disassemble to make it work again. In a setting with water/ice spells and water elementals everywhere.

...that looks terrible. It actually manages to be worse than Pathfinder's, as pathfinder still lets you fire a misfired gun afterwards.
>>
What plane does Vecna live on at the moment?

And if a cleric of Vecna was to cast Gate or Planar Ally, what would be some suitable things to summon?
>>
>>53591430
Slap on the wrist? You realize he makes his players make extra checks to revive players, right? It's actually HARDER to come back in his games.
>>
>>53591468
If you hate Eberron so much, how about you don't play it, and don't taint it with technology either.
>>
https://twitter.com/Wizards_DnD/status/870710703111393281
Xanathars Guide to Everything
>>
>>53591407
>I'll admit, after looking through the PHB, I was wrong and he was right but I really felt like he should have just gone with it rather than arguing and brought it up at the end of the game. Am I in the wrong here or was he arguing with the DM too much?

Ask yourself this, is this really something so arcane it would have taken more time to just look into the PHB to make sure rather than argue about it?

Generally the DM obviously makes the rules when in doubt and people should just roll with it. But this is something so basic, I can't really say he was in the wrong there. You should have known this.
>>
>>53591463
Dark Sun also replaces most spell scrolls and potions with various fruits or vegetables.
>throw a corn of fireball
>sandskimmers are dead and you've got free popcorn
>>
>>53591409
I actually have a theory about that but have never been able to find information about how they did the research.

Chances are it was an online survey, and the amount of people who have played one Roll20 game or read the PHB but still give feedback is obseane. So many people who talk about balance issues and do nonstop charts about average damage have never even rolled a d20.

The other big reason I susspect is people who are happily playing a game that lasts to level 20, are likely in person. Online games fall apart quick and if you only play offline, there's a solid chance you never follow the news and surveys for the game. Instead getting all info from friends and FLGS.

Lastly, a lot of new people started with 5e. A fair few probably never played past 5 when they did the survey.

Just because a large percentage of people never got that high, doesn't mean no one does. They shouldn't ignore high level play when balancing anything.
>>
>>53591485
>What plane does Vecna live on at the moment?
>Vecna
>live
hmmmm
>>
>>53591491
>>53591466
Fair enough, I did apologise to the guy afterwards, but I'm gonna try to do more research about ability checks and try to commit them all to memory. Cheers guys.
>>
>>53591501
Fine, exist on. It might help with answering question 2.
>>
>>53591498
>Chances are it was an online survey, and the amount of people who have played one Roll20 game or read the PHB but still give feedback is obseane. So many people who talk about balance issues and do nonstop charts about average damage have never even rolled a d20.

This is not a online vs. offline play thing. Most campaigns of anyone don't go to 20 or even above 10-15, simply because thats a absurd amount of time playing, especially offline where you have to schedule meeting up.
People just get interested in playing new things at some point, and getting to above 15 in regular play takes months if not years.

I'm not saying you're wrong in saying it shouldn't be ignored, but its true that very few games reach 20 and even less continue after reaching 20.
>>
>>53591498
>Just because a large percentage of people never got that high, doesn't mean no one does
It means a large percentage of people don't and so we're not going to focus on it or factor that shit into the balance of the levels most people play at.

Do you think they'd keep giving Paladins capstones that bonkers if anyone were ever going to be able to use them?
>>
>>53591547
>Do you think they'd keep giving Paladins capstones that bonkers if anyone were ever going to be able to use them?
Yes.
>>
>>53591553
Okay, that was a bad example because we know exactly what kind of person Perkins is.
>>
>>53591543
My group has been playing for about 6-7 months now. Started at level 1 and now they are level 9.
I hope we make it to 20.
>>
>>53589375
>ogre coveting some skeletons
>ogre 2 is offended that the dwarf and the nine year old in a hobbit cosplay insulted her weave
>billy, sporting the world's first bowlcut mullet hybrid, is not confident he can shoot the broadside of a barn at that range
>a drow and a human argue about who has the better "slutty girl in retarded poses" cosplay
>tallhead terry, Bumby the Wonder Retard and the normalfag chick who was paid to dress this way aren't even involved in the set, the cameraman panned to the side because blondie gave him a blowjob for $20 last night
>the dragon is clearly plastic, since nobody is paying attention to it

I hate this kind of art honestly. The artist has technique for days, but the layout of where the characters are and how they're posed is atrocious.
>>
File: Reiner.png (512KB, 623x673px) Image search: [Google]
Reiner.png
512KB, 623x673px
I kind of want to make a changeling who has forgotten/forced away a large degree of their past. Which would be a class to pick to make that concept interesting?

Also if I wanted to have a character suffer from an effect from the Madness table right out the gate any major downsides to that?

Pic related for inspiration.
>>
>>53591543
Well... that's D&D. If you want to get everything faster, just reduce the XP required to level up or something.

Goddamn goldfish generation
>>
>>53591577
You forgot the paladin pointing at gore 1 saying "hey you, yeah you, stop coveting those skeletons!"
>>
File: except supernaturally bald.png (166KB, 680x465px) Image search: [Google]
except supernaturally bald.png
166KB, 680x465px
>>53591560
A mid-90s teenaged chemotherapy patient?
>>
>>53591603
He is truly the world's most forgettable knight.
>>
>>53591593
I'm not sure if I understand your idea, but I'm thinking monk, warlock, or barbarian.

>any major downsides to that?
I mean, yes, but the RP would be great.
>>
>>53591577
I've seen a lot of bad maces in fantasy art but this thing takes the cake.
>>
>>53591599
I'm not sure what you mean to say here?
I was just contradicting his assumption the majority of people saying they never go beyond level 15 or even 10 was some sort of online vs. offline play difference and from people that only play rarely.

Its not a generation thing, high level play was never common. Because even long running stable groups that might run them, will only run very very few of them compared to the dozens of shorter campaigns they will be playing.
>>
>>53591646
I assumed you were the OP.
>>
>>53591646
>get to level 15
>i'm not a Wizard or Cleric or Druid
>said W/C/D replaces me with a summoned creature that has better stats and can die repeatedly without issue
>fuck off back to a low level game where my character is a relevant and valued member of the party
>>
>>53591635
I'm thinking about a Changeling that shapechanges into someone and forgets/forces out the idea that they were ever a changeling due to trauma or magic.

A monk sounds interesting.
>>
>>53591547
My last campaign ended at 14. Anecdotes.
>>
>>53589432
>posing lady is back, once again forgetting that the focus of the shot is behind her
>some giant vikings are fighting a dragon but nobody gives a shit
>another giant viking is grumpy about his pet dragon not cleaning its claws before riding on his shoulder and everyone's freaking out about it
>Sir Forgettable the Bland thought wings and a blue cloak would make him stand out, but doesn't know what's going on
>his grandma wants to per the birdie, but doesn't comprehend perspective
>some short nerds and children didn't dress for the environment, while Canadian Dwarf wonders why everyone is bitching about the cold and wants to go hang with the vikings
>slutty barbarian was gonna get her monstercock gangbang on but is suddenly changing her mind now that the ogre, troll and lizardman are arguing about whether or not traps are still gay
>drow put actual but retarded clothes on but just overheard barbarian complaining about the cold with her tits hanging out and nothing on her legs
I can complain about this for years.
>>
>>53591636
Bait or sarcasm?
>>
>>53591671
Man, that is so much the opposite of my high level experience, in which each of the casters focused on enabling our actual damage to get shit done, and crowd control.
>>
>>53591498
>Just because a large percentage of people never got that high, doesn't mean no one does. They shouldn't ignore high level play when balancing anything.

I could say the same thing about ERP games.

I'm actually pretty sure ERP games are more common than games reaching level 20.
>>
>>53591672
Spent years focusing his energies into monasticism.
>>
>>53591575
I'm sorry, Anon, but Dave is going on vacation out of state for two weeks, and as soon as he's back William's grandmother will be in the hospital and he will miss three sessions because visiting hours are inexplicably scheduled at the same time, Brad will be sick the one time everyone else can make it, and once you've finally got the group together again Tony's going to forget you had a session and not show up. After that, everyone will forget about scheduling new sessions.

It's okay. Level 9 is a good run.
>>
File: no it isnt.png (612KB, 414x648px) Image search: [Google]
no it isnt.png
612KB, 414x648px
>>53591636
Uhhh....
>>
>>53591701
That's part of his armored pants.
>>
>>53591707
Shit bait is shit.
>>
>>53591695
My new game saw one player miss 2 sessions for a pageant, hes a queen, and another not show up. We'd be back to our old campaigns group, but the DM only joined in at the end of it.
>>
>>53591701
OKAY SMART GUY EXPLAIN THIS ONE FROM FIFTH EDITION
>>
>>53591605
Kek.

>>53591560
What kind of person is Perkins?
>>
>>53591727
>He's never seen a glaive before.
>>
>>53591713
if thats an axe, its non-functional. Typically on an axe you have a wedged hole, that thing would pull out or fly off constantly.
>>
>>53591727
Its a dwarf sized glaive with a hammer-head for tight quarter combat.

I kinda like the idea of it too.
>>
>>53591727
Glaive, the blade is extending from the top of the weapon.
>>
File: PHrBsXP.jpg (46KB, 516x585px) Image search: [Google]
PHrBsXP.jpg
46KB, 516x585px
It's just me or is this cover pretty bad?
>>
>>53591722
>for a pageant, hes a queen
I don't want to ask... but... whut?
>>
>>53591727
Hamglaixer.
>>
>>53591684
I think it may be a meme
>>
>>53591693
Heh, maybe?
>>
>>53591737
>a glaive on a haft only as long as an arm
>reach weapon
>>
>>53591749
Just you, buddy. It's pretty badass.
>>
>>53591740
You have literally never seen or held a axe in your entire life, have you?

Because none of that is remotly accurate. The axe head clearly goes through the shaft on both sides.
>>
>>53591750
HE WEARS WOMEN'S CLOTHING AND MAKE-UP
>>
>>53591764
>dwarven engineering
Look how stumpy his arms are, to him that is a reach weapon.
>>
>>53591749
I mean... no?
>>
>>53591769
Well, now I'm sad
>>
>>53591750
Have you never heard of drag queens? He had rehearsal and then the actual pageant show, so he took 2 sessions off. No one much minded, since we all knew, the random no show was the annoying one.
>>
>>53591749
So, not been keeping up with 5e for a while.

I take it this is to Tomb of Horrors what SKT was to Against the Giants, and PotA was to ToEE?
>>
>>53591778
Please tell me Eddie Izzard plays D&D
>>
>>53591749
The art seems somehwat off.

It has a lot less detail than the other ones.
>>
>>53591789
That's an awesome rendition of a badass lich.
>>
>>53591796
I grew up in the sticks, son. I still figured that's what it was, but I was kinda hoping he meant something interesting.
>>
>play a gnome
>always need to us a stool to climb anything or interact with someone/something on a table or get disadvantage

I like and hate it at rhe same time.
>>
>>53591770
I literally have a wood axe in my garage, and have held HEMA replicas. They both use a solid head, through which the shaft sits and is either wedged at the top, or held via centrifugal force while swinging, they NEVER pierce the shaft.
>>
File: 1459109810919.jpg (142KB, 330x500px) Image search: [Google]
1459109810919.jpg
142KB, 330x500px
>>53589375
>that sideboob
>>
>>53591796
In my personal experience, queens are either pretty awesome people to hang with or complete psychos.

The fact he gave you a real reason he wouldn't be there is nice, better then "I won't make it" an hour before.
>>
>>53591801
Apparently he has, but it should be noted he's not a drag queen, but a transvestite.

Yeah, they both wear traditionally women's clothing, but it's for different reasons. (Izzard has actually said "It's not women's clothing, it's my clothing. I bought it.")
>>
>>53591817
>badass lich
>fucking skeleton man weighs about ten pounds soaking wet
>wears a metal crown three times his body weight
>just asking to be tipped over by a sharp breeze
>>
>>53591852
Most of the ones i know are cool people, they have weird kinks but are open and honest about it all.
>>
>>53591854
If you honestly believe that means they're different things, you're an idiot.
>>
>>53591858
He's a wizard, physics doesn't have shit on him.
>>
>>53591813
I kinda see what you mean. The lich is in the foreground, but isn't very well defined. Meh... I'm fine with it.
>>
>>53591868
The queens i know wear mens clothes when not performing, and, according to themselves, it isn't sexual for them.
>>
>>53591877
My martial maneuvers say otherwise.
Go ahead, waste your Legendary Resistance against my knockdowns. Please, my party's casters are waiting.
>>
>>53591868
Except he's completly right?

A drag queen is basically a entertainer, a transvestite is pretty much just a dude wearing womens clothing.
>>
>>53591867
True, I met one of my best friends at a pub while they were dressed up. Honestly was one of the weirdest nights of my life.

>>53591868
Transvestites are guys who wear womens clothes.

Queens where it only in specific situations.

It's like the difference between a smoker and a social smoker. The difference doesn't really exist to you unless you fit in one of the groups, but it's there.
>>
>>53591895
>entertainer
Nigga, please.
>>
>>53591885
I feel its a bit disappointing, especially with the great art the ToH adventure in TftYP had.

That was a badass looking Lich.
>>
>>53591142
On the internet for people to watch.
If this was some regular game in somrbody's house he wouldnt have to worry about what random internet autists thought. I think this guy was refering to television or something tho, in which case the internet is usually more judgmental and has immidiate feedback on what looks good/bad
>>
>>53591868
One's dressing up as a performance piece. The other's dressing up as a matter of routine.
>>
>all these niggers who've never worn silk stockings and panties talking about why people do or don't wear them
>>
>>53591892
Yeah, good luck with that. If he isn't at least Tiamat or demon lord level, Wizards are doing something wrong.
>>
>>53591913

What? Have you never watched Priscilla, Queen of the Desert?
>>
>>53591937
His mistake was being a godly-powerful spellcaster in a frail, normal-sized humanoid body.
>>
>>53591913
They are, essentially, actors doing a live performance. Often its a beauty pageant, but it can really be whatever. Everyone, except the very drunk, knows its an act, but its all for fun.
>>
File: tombofannihil.jpg (67KB, 451x723px) Image search: [Google]
tombofannihil.jpg
67KB, 451x723px
>>53591749
You need better quality art, friend.
>>
I'm creating a bard/sorcerer as a boss and I'm trying to change Unearthly Chorus to suit combat. Any suggestions? It's a lvl5 party of 3/4 if that helps.
>>
>>53591954
Your mistake is assuming that.
>>
>go on /5eg/
>primary discussion is about men dressing as women
Did I accidentally click on /pfg/?
>>
>>53592009
5eg, men in womens clothing and art critics.

Still not nearly as degenerate as pfg.
>>
>>53592003
I like it, reminds me of some of the older books art.
>>
>>53592009
Nah, we're discussing players, not characters.
>>
>>53592003
Is it the skull on the staff really the one meant to be Acecerak?
>>
File: Bible Verses.png (12KB, 519x201px) Image search: [Google]
Bible Verses.png
12KB, 519x201px
As a War Cleric of God, I've been remembering some bible verses to spit out during sessions
a helpful anon already gave me a bunch, but I could always use some more! Would prefer verses that have something to do with judgement and smiting, but would also welcome verses that can fit everyday needs (party is in trouble, something to rally the peasantfolk, etc) Thanks ever so kindly!
>>
>>53591485
He's had a couple (such as the Quasielemental Plane of Ash), but per the 3.5e Deities and Demigods he's currently on the Material Plane, in fact, and I can't find anything more recent that seems to state otherwise.

The exact location of his realm is unknown, because lolsecretsgod, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was somewhere in/around Oerthspace.
>>
>>53592136
I remember you, I've got some taken from doom that are used as names for levels.
http://www.teamhellspawn.com/exl/name_gen/
>Sever the wicked
>Consume thy flesh
>Taken by fire (smites)
>Knee deep in the dead
>Cast from fire
>etc
>>
>>53592191
Ey! Those are pretty good and short enough for everyday use, might bore the rest of the party if I always use the bible verses. Much appreciated my man

A little longer but I even took the quote from Judge Frollo in Quasimodo "And He shall smite the wicked and plunge them into the fiery pit"
>>
>>53592148
Thanks. Thats all I've been able to find as well.

As for servants, it sounds like he's associated with Yuggoloths through the Book of Keeping, I haven't found much else concrete so far.
>>
>>53592136
Also I'm actually a Cleric of Lucifer that still reads from the Bible, but I didn't want to complicate things
Would greatly appreciate things having to do with fire/swords of fire/angel swords since I have third party spell that gives me a literal sword of fire
>>
I recently started playing with a group of friends and we're really into it. We got a battlemap for some bigger combat scenarios and we wondered where we could get some basic (human mage/fighter/archer, elf rogue, dwarf cleric, the standard) miniatures to use with it.

Anyone got some tips? Thanks in advance.
>>
>>53592136
Man you'd best be using Ezekiel 25:17
>>
>>53592351
Need answers to this question too
>>
>>53592136
Another good way to find verses is to ask on /his/ they're a good % religious if I remember correctly.
>>
File: 1492607034552.jpg (17KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1492607034552.jpg
17KB, 300x300px
>>53592351
You got a comic book store near you? They usually have minis. If not, some hobby shops carry them. Hell, even some bookstores gottem, though usually much less variety. There are innumerable online places to get figures, too, just do a google search in that case. Haven't bought any figures online before, so I don't know which places are better to shop at. Remember, though, to THIN YOUR PAINTS.
>>
>>53592351
If you could find them, the Caesar Miniatures Adventurers box might be of use.
>>
Is Kensei any good? The level 6 ability seems awful.
>>
Guys, I want to make a half orc fighter/warlock.

I know it's probably not the best combination in any case, but I got a cool concept.

Anyway, the group is level six, how many fighter levels should I take? I was initially thinking only one, to get the proficiencies and great weapon fighting, then going bladelock.
>>
>>53592429
For sure! Both the Pulp Fiction version and the real one.
>>53592439
Thanks very kindly, sounds like my type of people
>>
>>53589957
Raw it can't be made into a vampire. The creature status is no longer dead, so it can't become a vampire, either by breeding or using the Pact of the Vampyr (in which one murders a loved one last, drinks their blood and then is in turn murdered by a sworn enemy)

The remains you have left are no more a corpse than a pile of nails and dead skin from Jimmy McGill across the street.

Which is not to say they are without power
>>
>>53592682
If you go Hexblade, you don't need any fighter levels.
If not, you're going to need at least one level to fix bladelock problems, and at that point, might as well go two to pick up action surge, and then you'll be sad about how far behind you are with your spells. This is personal experience.

Go Hexblade.
>>
>>53592682

I'd take two levels in Fighter, just because Action Surge is a godsend of an ability.
>>
>>53589971
>only because your DM won't let guns phase out conventional weapons
I thought it was only because it was a specific combination of both a tinkering mechanism and a complex Artíficer Arcane process that requires their specialized magical signature to operate
>>
>>53592744
I'm going Archfey unfortunately.

I figured that with the +2 strength the half-orc gets, I won't suck that bad even without Hex Warrior.
>>
What the fuck, Ubtao is a primordial? He was always a deity.
>>
>>53593203
He's been made a Primordial when Primordials were invented in 4e.
>>
Guys is there any way for getting a cantrip from another class? I remember something from one of the UAs, maybe one of the Warlock subclasses?
>>
>>53593443
A race, bard magical secrets, tome lock, and magic initiate.
>>
>>53593457
>tome lock

That's it, thanks. Here comes a warlock with shillelagh.
>>
>>53593457
I think spell sniper feat gives one also iirc.
>>
Some of you guys are alright
Don't get resurrected tomorrow.
>>
New thread >>53593683
Thread posts: 318
Thread images: 28

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.