[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tabletop Game Development: Stagnating?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: 1428708108004.gif (794KB, 500x446px) Image search: [Google]
1428708108004.gif
794KB, 500x446px
What is coming out that isn't stuck in development hell, a rehash of previous systems, or some kind of indie garbage with narrativism? Song of Swords is just as shit as ever, Eclipse Phase 2E is ruining the game, KULT decided to become yet another Apocalypse World hack, as every other game. People rave about the laziest game ever, Blades in the Dark. Why do people put up with this? What happened conflict resolution that's meaningful? The renaissance of games after people got sick of Dungeons and Dragon's simplistic combat. We had Riddle of Steel, which made such waves it's still echoing. Not to mention Aces & Eights, GURPs, and other games. Now GURPs has its problems, but at least it was an attempt that was ambitious and has never tried aiming low, always high. What about fantasy? What isn't a dark fantasy rip-off, people?
>>
>>53586299
GURPS is like 30 years old dude
>>
>>53586299
>Song of Swords is just as shit as ever
You shut your whore mouth.
>>
File: aSfIumn.gif (854KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
aSfIumn.gif
854KB, 500x281px
>>53586343
Monster Combat when
>>
>>53586299
I'm working as fast as I can anon, be patient.
>>
>>53586443
>What is coming out that isn't stuck in development hell
>>
>>53586343
Jimmy can do amazing things when isn't lazy but it doesn't happen very often
>>
>>53586299
People like selling you a third of a system (narrativist games) and having you come up with the rest because the people that make games are shit at math, so they cut back hard on mechanics to hide this fact. Mechanically meaningful conflict resolution is dead because putting in the effort into playtesting and system design is too hard and too great a task for the average game designer. You bring up GURPS, which is a great example of a game having weight without being overbearing. GURPS has been continuously worked on for decades, though, so it's really had a lot of playtesting, design work, and polish put into it, and each edition is superior to the last. Do you really think anyone is going to put in even a year's worth of effort on the system when they can write fluff and worldbuild?
>>
>>53586299
>some kind of indie garbage with narrativism
Define.
>>
>>53586299
What you need is Praedor RPG.

It's got quick, detailed combat system with meaningful targets other than "Hit Points", a rich world based on already popular comic book series, and the one book has all you need, unless what you need is some more detailed peasant spells, then that is in a rather cheap addon.

Last time I went to my favorite rpg store, it was only 17 euros for the main book, and 9 euros for the addon.

Also, it's only in Finnish.
>>
>>53586299
Make TTRPGs Great Again.
>>
>>53586299
Blame OGL
>>
>>53591558
OGL did with RPG what fast food did with restaurants.
>>
>>53591113
Anon need's a spreadsheet of bonuses and circumstantial modifiers in order to immersed in the world.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.