[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /tg/ think about the cypher system?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_0393.jpg (409KB, 900x1157px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0393.jpg
409KB, 900x1157px
What does /tg/ think about the cypher system?
>>
>>53577023
Do you see who it's by? Yeah, alright then. It's shit.
"By Monte "The dickeater" Cook" is as big of a red flag as "Published by Ubisoft" and "Online Only" on a game's package.
>>
>>53577321
Huh,
What makes him so bad?
I'm reading the book right now and it looks functional
>>
>>53577371

He purposefully put Ivory Tower game design into 3rd edition D&D. He also made 3rd Edition D&D which damaged the hobby in a lot of ways.

Many won't forgive him for this. I generally look sideways at anything with his name on it.
>>
>>53577422
Let's not forget the multiple instances of "Beg for money on kickstarter for a new RPG, give 2 overpriced and barely functional books then drop the IP"
>>
>>53577422
Is Monte Cook really a competent enough designer to pull that off? Always smelled like excusing a bad job after the fact by saying he meant to be retarded.
>>
File: does tg get angry.png (59KB, 1317x466px) Image search: [Google]
does tg get angry.png
59KB, 1317x466px
>>53577023
it is a system therefore we hate it
>>
>>53577655
He claimed after the fact that Toughness was a feat put in for Wizards to shore up their durability, and it was a trap option for fighters so that they can learn to get better at the game.

Because he attached his name to that sentiment, anything he makes is fighting an uphill battle to be worthwhile in my eyes. And I won't look close unless I hear its really good.

I haven't heard any of his stuff is really good, so I take 3rd ED D&D as an example of his work, and I won't forgive 3rd D&D.

Do anything for 20 years and you will get better at it. He probably is a half decent designer, but fuck him.
>>
>>53577023
Never had a chance to played it myself, but /tg/ has had threads about it in the past

The general consensus is the system is functional has a lot of quirks.

One of the frequent ones being a bonus to shooting at close range applying in melee, making it a better option than actual melee attacks
>>
Ive liked reading the settings for Numenera and The Strange, but never had a chance to run any games in them. it also helps that there are always new setting books with stuff I can steal.
>>
it's completely functional as an RPG, but being written by Cook means that about 45% of it is composed of jerking himself of over thinking of a way to play RPGs not like DnD
>>
File: ivorytower.png (313KB, 1060x1423px) Image search: [Google]
ivorytower.png
313KB, 1060x1423px
>>53578383
Not exactly.
>>
>>53585186
I mean, he's not wrong. This issue is that he took a game design tool intended for a fundamentally competitive game and applied to a fundamentally cooperative one. When you're just starting RPGs and feel like the rules are a straightjacket Ivory Tower Design creates badfeels since you have a generation of veteran gamers brought up with the attitude of "you need to be bad before you learn to be good" which is fine, what's not is the attitude that comes with it where you lord it over noobies for having the gall to not know how to play.
>>
>>53577023
It gives baitposters something to post in between Numenera shitposting, while still not being D&D or Pathfinder.
>>
>the T-Rex attacks you!
>if it hits it deals 8 damage
>do you want to spend some of your HP to *maybe* take less damage?
>>
Settle petal.

I didn't like it, it isn't quite crunchy enough.
>>
>>53577023
I know this isn't entirely accurate, but reading Numenera when it came out made me feel like ol' Monte had spent who knows how much time and money to just make 3.X again. I mean, obviously they aren't exactly the same system (for one thing, you don't spend your hitpoints to try and do shit in 3.X), but just the FEEL was so similar. Swap "New sourcebook with 8 new classes, 200 new feats, 300 new spells!" for "New sorcebook with 8 new focuses, 200 new cyphers!". For a system that keeps publishing settings that are all about "play totally crazy weirdness", it sure does have very specific, shitty classes and want you to buy more and more books to fill out the roster. It just feels like he desperately wants to recreate the 3rd edition boom again.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.