[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Fifth Edition General:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 440
Thread images: 49

File: Update.png (238KB, 881x341px) Image search: [Google]
Update.png
238KB, 881x341px
D&D 5th Edition General Discussion

>Unearthed Arcana Update
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/unearthed-arcana-update

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
https://mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously on /5eg/:
>>53567073

What went wrong?
>>
>>53574300
The idea that they are going to ship either of those classes as they are.
>>
Artificer should be half caster. Mystic just needs some stuff reworded.
>>
>>53574510
Probably, but he was asking specifically for LG/NG. Who's to say bushido culture in their game is the same as in our world?
>>
>>53574300
WotC staff were faced with the prospect of doing work.
>>
>>53574300
What do you mean what went wrong? I can't speak as to the Artificer, but we know that the Mystic has some basic problems - but at the same time, a lot of people really want the Mystic to work. It's a good class, it just needs refinement.

It seems to me that Wizards is actually doing good by the Artificer and the Mystic, and by extension the player base.
>>
The stream annihilation thing starts in 90ish minutes, right? Any countdown?
>>
>>53574605
Just get reckless then?
>>
>>53574612
Make it a half caster, tune up some rules so it can make magic items at a faster pace, and add a targeted "cantrip" damage spell so they don't get fucked by immunities or creatures with high dex saves. Perfect world I'd like the mechanical assistant to be its own subclass, but if not make that shit scale.
>>
>>53574612
Seconded on artificer being half caster or even full caster. My gripes:

>They need access to cantrips. At the very least Mending and Prestidigitation.
>Their construct sucks.
>They do shit for damage. On alchemist everything is save or suck, either give them attack rolls or half damage on saves. Allow them to add their modifier to damage. Allow gunsmiths to add their modifier to their thunder cannon etc damage.

The class needs a rework because spells like Mending, Prestidigitation, Fabricate, Animate Objects, etc seem like they would be right up an artificers alley.
>>
>>53574300
>Mystic recieved positive feedback
>20 pages of material that nobody reviewed is being pushed for PHB 2

Fuck Mearls up his kike ass.
>>
This edition is almost 3 years into its lifespan and it's already trash. can we get 6e with an actual budget?
>>
>>53574653
>>53574683
Construct as its own subclass works much better, for sure.
>>
Playing Tales of the Yawning Portal White Plume Mountain. Should players be allowed to keep Wave, Whelm and Blackrazor as they are from DMG? If not, what should they get? Debuffed version? Gold? Lvl 8 btw, should be 9 by the end
>>
>>53574616
>WotC staff
There's like 5 people working on D&D. They don't have the resources to actually do it themselves, and that won't change until pigs start flying and D&D sells better than Magic
>>
why are players handbooks so expensive
>>
>>53574906
get a job
>>
>>53574799
I feel like it's a little schizophrenic in a few design areas. Stuff like darkvision being given to nearly every race eliminating a lot of the need for light when sneaking around, resource management being invalidated by a single background feature, battlemaster being the only fighter subclass to get superiority dice and combat maneuvers, excluding lots of little numerical bonuses but adding them back in for several of the UA subclasses, etc.
I still like 5e but several decisions have definitely made me look to other games like 13th Age.
>>
>>53574906
Buy them off of Amazon, they're like $15 cheaper brand new, from WotC themselves, than if you buy them in a book store.
>>
>>53574799
You could play a different game.
>>
File: Smug girl.png (27KB, 181x220px) Image search: [Google]
Smug girl.png
27KB, 181x220px
>>53574983
Who says I don't?
>>
>>53574858
Let them keep them.

They're strong, but not unbelievably so. Whelm's gonna suck if you're ever fighting outside, for one.
>>
File: The 5e Guide to Sex.pdf (4MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
The 5e Guide to Sex.pdf
4MB, 1x1px
>>53574300
Right, I was working most of yesterday, but I'm back now.

UPDATES
- Being a Fey creatures lowers seduction DC by 5
- Creatures with Legendary actions add their proficiency bonus to their Seduction and Satisfaction DCs.
- Being in the midst of sex is officially designated as imposing the Grappled condition on everyone involved, with the potential to also be Prone or Restrained depending on circumstances. Sex can be escaped like any other Grapple (via Athletics or Acrobatics)
- "Menopause" rule added to pregnancy checks.
- "Bard's Checklist" appendix updated to take new Fey and Legendary rules into account.
- "Bard's Checklist" appendix now also includes the Seduction and Satisfaction DCs for a number of major NPCs: The Demon Princes, the Princes of Elemental Evil, Maegera the Dawn Titan, Tiamat, and Strahd von Zarovich. Strahd has a special seduction/satisfaction rule, too. I considered adding one for Tiamat as well, but decided against it since I'm not sure if it's still canon that Tiamat wants to jump Bahamut's bones.

As a reminder, Seducing someone is a single check but it takes 1d4 hours, so it's not possible to seduce a target in combat. Oh, but on that note - Seducing it currently the player's choice of Persuasion or Deception. Should Intimidate be viable as well?
>>
>>53575086
I'm not sure about the thing with Fey. It seems to carry the implication of sexually liberated, easy magical hippies. I'd think they would be the ones doing the seducing if anything, and it fits with their charm immunity
>>
>>53574799
Sure just convince Hasbro that no ttrpg is every going to sell as well as Magic and we'll be golden.
>>
>>53575019
One of the players already has a very strong character (well built oathbreaker paladin and got a belt of giant strength early) so I'm worried letting him have Wave will unbalance him from the rest of the party. Currently wields Flamebrand and does a shit ton of damage. Also worried these weapons will unbalance Dead in Thay, which we are doing next. No dwarves, so no one to use whelm.
>>
Stream of Annihilation hype?
>>
>>53575177
If you say so...in my experience with Fey folklore, they don't exactly come across as needing much of an excuse to have sex, so them being "easy" made sense to me.
>>
>>53575256
What is it?
>>
>>53575296
Two day, twelve-hour Twitch stream event which WOTC will reveal the next adventure story. Starts in 45 minutes.

http://dnd.wizards.com/streamofannihilation
>>
>>53575218
>oathbreaker
>got a belt of giant strength early
Gee whee billy I wonder why this character turned into a balance issue
>>
File: After Exam Discussion.png (323KB, 367x366px) Image search: [Google]
After Exam Discussion.png
323KB, 367x366px
>>53575086
What the fuck did I just read?
>>
>>53575326
We already know it will be about Chult and ring of winter
>>
Dragonborn, Mountain Dwarf, or Half-Orc martial?

>inb4 variant human
>>
>>53575218
Well:

- Blackrazor is pretty strong, admittedly. +3 legendary magic weapon, casts haste and maintains concentration, etc. But it's counterbalanced by the fact that if it goes for more than 3 days without consuming a soul it tries to take over the wielder. And it's a damn strong personality too, so that's some serious danger.

- Wave is also very powerful, especially if it crits (holy shit that crit effect, half your HP maximum as necrotic damage is going to wreck face), but Wave won't give a fuck about Dead In Thay because how is that going to convert mortals to the worship of sea gods? And it requires attunement to a worshiper of a god of the sea too, and is extremely zealous.

I dunno. I could see maybe reducing the powers the weapons are granting, maybe the sentiences want their wielders to prove themselves first? But the giant strength sounds like a bigger problem there.
>>
>>53575218
>Oathbreaker with a belt already
Jesus christ you don't care about keeping the game balanced at all do you?
>>
>>53575352
Mountain dwaves are TERRIBLE fighters, anon. Pick half-orc.
>>
>>53575290
That usually comes in the sense of them being horny, not being very easy to trick into having sex though

But it's not like there's any real reason to have this argument so
>>
>>53575352
Dwarf or Half-orc. Dragonborns are pussies.
>>
>>53575218
>Oathbreaker
>Belt of giants strength early

Stop DMing anytime now.
>>
>>53575256
will try to watch

>>53575326
I hope it does start in 45. No technical difficulties and postpones or whatever.
>>
>>53574906
>>53574947
I'm saying this for the third time now. People live in different countries where the median wage might be as low as 5€/$ per hour net (my country) or even much lower. Not everyone can easily afford shelling a third of their food budget for a month on one book.
>>
>>53575341
Have you not been on /5eg/ the past few days?

Basically a few weeks ago there was a /tg/ thread that caught my attention, asking how you handle sex in your games. Now I've never ERP'd, and have no desire to ERP, but I am the sort of person who when he gets an idea in his head, I usually can't drop it until I've developed it somehow.

So, this is the result.
>>
>>53575326
What should be expected? A new setting or will we get some new subclasses or things of the like?
>>
>>53575369
>Mountain dwaves are TERRIBLE fighters, anon.

What's your reasoning? Is it because Fighters get ASI's like candy which negates the two +2 bonuses that Mountain Dwarves get?
>>
>>53575347
Yeah, I saw the speculation. Still want to watch the reveal. 5th edition is my first edition of D&D, so everything is still new and fresh to me. I haven't read any of the novels either.
>>
>>53575363
>>53575336
Rolled it on table when magic item shopping, it's only hill giant though so not too crazy
>>53575360
Yeah having the items fight the characters and not work properly when the characters aren't fulfilling the weapon's goals sounds pretty good. Wave says that the weapon accepts new converts, which I interpreted to mean if the player converts on the spot they can use the weapon.
>>
>>53575413
My guess would be wasted armor proficiency?
>>
>>53575422
It has to be a legit conversion, anon. And you have to MEAN it, be zealous as fuck. If you're a fresh-faced new convert, you've abandoned your old god for a new one solely for power, the weapon has just accepted you, what do you think it's going to think if you waltz off to do something completely unrelated to what it wants to do and what you promised to do by virtue of immediate conversion? These are powerful, legendary weapons, they aren't going to put up with that shit.
>>
>>53575377
I allowed the players to go magic item shopping in downtime, per the unearthed arcana rules, and rolled the item in front of them so couldnt really say no without seeming unfair as other characters also got some pretty good items. Unfortunately I did not realise at the time how powerful the belt would be as we have never gotten to high enough levels to use one before, and I can't really take it away now. Also, the oathbreaker is the only surviving member of the original party due to deaths and players wanting to try new characters, so obviously the new characters are not quite as kitted out.
>>
>>53575397
Autism in short. But the good constructive kind.
Hope you work in a STEM field.
>>
>>53575352
Play a Wood Elf Monk.
>>
>>53575506
I'm not nearly good enough at math, sadly.
>>
>>53575495
You're right, I hadn't really considered it in that way. Maybe I could tell the player that taking and using Wave will mean they can no longer properly participate in the campaign, and they would have to roll up a new character as their old one goes to convert people/work for a sea god?
>>
>>53575422
You should regulate magic items more, and not allow the DMG subclasses for PCs. Those were your first mistakes. As in, honestly, giving the paladin anything else WILL make him a flaming pile of bullshit if he isn't already. Talk it over with the player
>>53575502
>UA Downtime
Ah I see your problem
>>
>>53575446
>Wasted armor proficiency
>Wasted weapon proficiency
>25 feet speed
Being a dwarf fighter is suffering
>>
>>53575086
> Creatures with Legendary actions add their proficiency bonus to their Seduction and Satisfaction DCs.
I like this solution.

t. guy who wanted double dc
>>
Repost cause it was right at the end on the other:

How do you deal with life Clerics? It's like having a portable blood bank with you every minute.

Almost all encounters decrease 1 threat level.
>>
>>53575570

Odd, considering dwarves should be natural fighters.
>>
>>53575399

Assuming we're getting Chult, the only likely races we'd get are Pterafolk and maybe additional human sub-races/backgrounds to fit with the "cat people that aren't Tabaxi" thing.
>>
>>53575570
We gave our Dwarf fighter an extra fighting style and skill so he didn't get completely fucked by the free armor and weapon profs.
>>
>>53575553
yeah, you have convinced me not to let him have Wave. I don't think Oathbreaker is overpowered compared to say vengance paladin, or at least that is what I read online. The party is already quite powerful, so he isn't too bad. We have an immortal mystic, oathbreaker, bearbarian, and optimised lore bard. What would you suggest to do with downtime instead of unearthed arcana. I thought the magic item shopping was ok as it allows something to do with money, especially as we are playing a dungeon crawl campaign where we essentially just play through the tales of the yawning portal adventures in order, so it is more a set of adventures than a proper campaign.
>>
>>53575625
Combat healing shouldn't be that strong this edition. Maybe you're making a mistake when building encounters
>>
>>53575399
I think more along the lines of another story arc set into the Forgotten Realms. Probably more playable races, spells, the usual when a new splatbook comes out.
>>
>>53575570
If anyone is so autistic they won't play martial dwarves because of stackage they need to kneck themselves.
>>
>>53575502
Well first mistake was the oathbreaker, but I'd that's how you want to roll go ahead, second is generating loot right in front of the party on the spot, you do that shit in prep work so you don't get crazy shit like the situation you have now.
>>
>>53575625
Play your enemies more realistically. They are (usually) smart and want to win the fight too. They can take hostages, use magic and abilities to confuse the party, utilize traps and environmental terrain to their advantage, mess with the party's goal (i.e., attempt to escape with the orb, or destroy the orb, or hide it, if the party's goal is to acquire it).

http://tools.goblinist.com/5enc

I also sometimes use this tool on "Deadly" and tweak the results where necessary if a big fight is coming up.

Anyway, clerics are awesome because not a lot of players like to be one. Don't punish a cleric. Let them be portable bloodbanks. That's their entire thing. It's up to YOU as the DM to provide them with challenge or conflict. You should play monsters as more cunning and dangerous or mess with the objectives and push the party into a bind or moral dilemma.
Get creative. I believe in you.
>>
File: DM's guild artificer.png (39KB, 598x310px) Image search: [Google]
DM's guild artificer.png
39KB, 598x310px
I'VE HURT MYSELF TODAY
>>
>>53575593
Like I said, double DC was just way too harsh. Ostensibly, all Seduction and Satisfaction DCs should still be level-appropriate challenges. Strahd for example is listed as a CR 15, so seducing him should be a challenge for a 15th level character.

If the DC to seduce Strahd was 46, that would mean an average roll (11) would need a +35 modifier to hit it, which is fantastically outside the range of a 15th-level character. By having it instead by DC 28, an average roll needs only a +17 modifier, which a 15th-level bard is likely to be just shy of (trained, expertise Persuasion or Deception for a 15th level CHA 20 bard would be +15).

Of course, Curse of Strahd assumes that you'll only be about 10th level when facing the Count. By that point a bard can be reasonably presumed to instead have a Persuasion or Deception of +13 if both trained and possessing expertise, which means the bard must roll a 15 or better, or in other words has only a 30% chance of success.
>>
>>53575733
Yeah definitely something to keep in mind for the future. The party is all evil/neutral (sick of good campaigns) but not murderhobo at all so I thought oathbreaker was appropriate. Is it really that powerful?
>>
>>53575667
Running modules, modifying encounters because we are higher level than the book suggests. I use new monsters from Volo's etc and create Medium/Hard/Deadly encounters with calculations.

Am I doing it wrong?
>>
>>53575766
why anon
>>
>>53575654
It honestly just leaves things too much into RNG's hands and has a few dumb things like the magic item table when 5e is not balanced for being able to buy magic items. Fiddle with the numbers a bit and at least up the prices so the belt situation doesn't repeat
>>
File: Mystic.png (36KB, 631x306px) Image search: [Google]
Mystic.png
36KB, 631x306px
>>53575791
TO SEE IF I STILL FEEL
I FOCUS ON THE PAIN
THE ONLY THING THAT'S REAL
>>
>>53575766
Just rate it poorly and cite the issues it has, maybe WotC will fix one of them before release.
>>
>>53575769
*Oh, and of course this presumes that the bard has 1d4 hours to wine and dine Strahd without Strahd doing likewise to the bard, albeit in a somewhat different, more literal way.
>>
File: blue_mage__by_endling.jpg (450KB, 890x797px) Image search: [Google]
blue_mage__by_endling.jpg
450KB, 890x797px
How would you go about making a blue mage in 5e? Bard, or maybe sorcerer, archetype? New class entirely?
>>
>>53575763
I am trying to run the enemies based on their INT scores. Villains or bosses whatever will gtfo when they start losing.

I include traps and occasional environment hazards.

I stopped giving magic loot because it's a bit too much at this point for my taste.
>>
File: 1486002884926.jpg (103KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1486002884926.jpg
103KB, 400x400px
>>53575769
Indeed, I approve of your much better alternative.

So when is /tg/ going to hold the first "Curse of Strahd: Eroticus Arcanum" campaign?

Go through the entire module as normal with the goal of bedding every creature.
>>
>>53574799
I'm more concerned that we're 3 years into this edition and we have ONE legitimate supplement. SCAG doesn't count as it's a glorified fluff book with half baked subclasses based on a setting that every FR fan was already intimately familiar with.

I really enjoy 5e but it's a shame to watch it go down this road, wasted potential all around. It's not like we're asking for 3.x levels of supplements where we're getting one every month, but one major non-adventure publication per year? This is suicide for their brand.
>>
>>53575780
Not targeting the cleric with anything dangerous, charm effects, things that limit action economy, worst case scenario bullshit damage(try to make glass cannons) or the tried and true wear them down gameplan all work.

You are toeing a line though, push too hard and it just stops being fun for the players. At the same time, steamrolling everything sucks too.
>>
>>53575822
What the fuck is a blue mage?
>>
>>53575822
Fuck yeah, best job. Problem is not too many monster only spells
>>
>>53575770
Oathbreaker is powerful compared to the other options, everyone says vengeance is broken but it's just really strong. There's a reason they have a side note of it needing DM approval, also in an evil campaign I can see letting it slide and with the rest of the party it isn't terrible.

The problem mostly shows itself when you let someone run it with others who aren't building 100% optimized or already really strong classes. With what you got it shouldn't be too terrible but definitely be careful letting it in a normal party.
>>
>>53575847
Mage that steals spells from monsters
>>
>>53575847
Final Fantasy shit. General idea is that they use monster abilities and spells.
>>
>>53575766

> Artificer
> No tinker specialty

Wish I could actually invent shit instead of being a potion-maker or a gunsmith.
>>
>>53575847
It's a class from final fantasy. More or less how it works is you get the unit hit by a monster's ability and it has a chance to learn it. They tend to be a little lackluster, but they're baller as fuck.
>>
>>53575847
Its a class in some of the final fantasy games based around learning magic used by monsters
>>
>>53575805
I will definitely do that if it comes up again. What do you suggest players should be able to do with gold in a dungeon crawler campaign other than buy magic items?(literally just running tftyp dungeons in order)
>>
>>53575837
Its a shame too because I feel like DnD itself is only getting more popular. They should really step up their game and release a lot more books to support it. Hell most of the UA these days are pretty decently tuned, polish them up and release it with a new campaign setting and that'd do some good.
>>
>>53575846
Wood Elf so no charm, but I try to keep all PCs occupied during a battle. Because whoever is left alone gets huge advantage, and it wouldn't make sense in a fight anyway.
>>
Does Relentless Avenger for OoV Paladin work when mounted?
>>
>>53575847
Well, going by the picture, it's probably referring to the Final Fantasy concept.

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Blue_Mage

Basically they steal the special abilities of monsters so that they themselves can use them, although they can only take the abilities of monsters that they have actually encountered, and can hold only a limited number of abilities and only one ability from each monster.
>>
>>53575654
Not him, but there's lots of things you can do in downtime that don't involve magic item shopping. You can receive training to improve your proficiencies or gain new ones, perform research for your next adventure, invest in a business, set up a settlement, work a profession, participate in the daily activities of a guild or faction, spend time with your partner/spouse/family/children, forge or repair mundane equipment, engage in politics, and so on.
>>
File: 1491081568110.jpg (615KB, 700x1690px) Image search: [Google]
1491081568110.jpg
615KB, 700x1690px
>>53575862
>>53575864
>>53575869
>>53575872
>>53575893
>when 5 people answer the same question
>>
File: Capture.jpg (133KB, 1399x667px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
133KB, 1399x667px
Question! I'm doing some formatting, and wondered if anyone had photoshop brushes for similar little filigree, as on the Chapter art in the main books (see pic). I'm not even sure how to go about googling such a thing.
>>
File: thats_wrong_retard_nye.jpg (10KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
thats_wrong_retard_nye.jpg
10KB, 250x250px
>>53575390
>I'm saying this for the third time now. People live in different countries where the median wage might be as low as 5€/$ per hour net (my country) or even much lower. Not everyone can easily afford shelling a third of their food budget for a month on one book.

>I don't make any money because I am a lazy fuck with no skills
>therefore people who can actually afford the books, are privileged fucks who should gibsmedat
>also you should literally commit a felony on my behalf because I am poor and that is your fault for being white and intelligent

Get fucked, nigger. Just because YOU failed at life and can't afford the D&D 5e books, doesn't mean you should be allowed them for free. Wizards of the Coast doesn't owe you a damn thing. You are a drain on society. Deal with it. There are plenty of free RPGs out there for you to play in the meantime until you grow up and get a big-boy job.
>>
>>53575847
Well, Nymphology: Blue Magic says they're sex wizards that use their magic to jerk off and scry on pooping women.
>>
>Come up with a character
>Pick background and ideals etc that fit
>DM tells me I need to roll them all from the tables instead of picking them
F U N
>>
>>53575860
Yeah, because we are playing an evil campaign and everyone is optimising i figured it would be ok, didn't count on the belt essentially saving him 2 ASIs though. Luckily he is sword and board so can't abuse great weapon master, and the barbarian is able to keep up in damage because he has taken great weapon master. I am worried about when he gets to next level and gets animate dead though, because 4 undead adding his cha modifier to damage will be very powerful, especially with crusader's mantle aura.
>>
>>53575878
That's what will get a little more funding for DnD as the attention and desire goes up eventually Hasbro will see a chance to make more money and kick some to the other project. I don't doubt WotC has been spending most of it's budget getting this stuff going to try and get more attention and by that more money.
>>
>>53575951
>I need to roll them all from the tables instead of picking them
Rolling for your character's personality? That's pretty hardcore.
>>
File: mfw knife ears.jpg (43KB, 400x438px) Image search: [Google]
mfw knife ears.jpg
43KB, 400x438px
>>53575951
Leave before you get too deep in.
>>
>>53575901
Thanks for the ideas anon!
>>
>>53575951
Be sure to thank them for giving you a red flag immediately.
>>
>>53575917

I think the term you're looking for is "flourish". Didn't easily find one for DnD, but Googling that should lead you in the right direction.
>>
>>53574906
Read the OP. You can get them in there until you save up 30 bones for a PHB.

Also ignore the richfags. Everybody has to struggle. They've forgotten what it's like... or never knew to begin with.

But if you don't have a job or do have one but only work like 15 hour weeks you should probably get off your ass and work harder for some real-life loot tbhfam.
>>
3 min left to DND Stream Annihilation whatever, if anyone's interested.
>>
>>53575892
They can move but not their horse. So they could dismount.
>>
>>53575625
Throw the nonsense in the DMG about "adjusted xp" when there are multiple enemy combatants and run the XP per difficulty tier 100% straight. For example if your encounter is four 1/4 cr creatures (50xp) each, by DMG guidelines and adjusted xp rates this would be a deadly encounter for a party of four 1st level PCs. Realistically? The party would breeze through it as if it were a trivial encounter. Scrap that bollocks and run xp as is with no adjustments based on number of combatants. The encounter would then only be deadly with eight 1/4 cr creatures against the party.

The math on that can get a bit funky at higher levels but 5e encounter building is a learned art rather than a science since this edition shipped with horrendous math for encounter building.
>>
>>53575994
For £27 they should look like pic related tbf

For half that I could buy a 200 year old six volume history of England from my local antique store.
>>
How do I play Lord Shen in 5e? Here's a quick rundown, if you don't know what the fuck he is.
https://youtu.be/A89raehoAJc?t=84
>>
>>53575873
5e doesn't give many outlets to throw money at, and even the ones it supports are kind of trivial.

You could go the old school way and have them establish a stronghold or something of the sort. There's tables for hireling prices, lifestyle expenses etc. but no one seems to use them
>>
>>53575956
Yeah he'll definitely be strong but if everyone is optimizing then it's not a huge problem. My issue is some DMs just throw an oathbreaker into a random party that isn't trying to be optimized to the fullest.

It happens, easiest way is to possibly try and bump the others players up with an item if he does start outshining everyone else.
>>
>>53575951

That can still be fun, I believe older editions followed that rule too. It's just become a faux pas to not grant players that control.
>>
>>53575326

Heads up for everyone, this is starting now.
>>
>>53576012
Wish I could watch but I'm phone posting between pretending to work on busses since there isn't shit to do.
>>
>>53576034
I really want that six-volume collection. I collect old books.
>>
>>53575326
Hope it's good.
>>
>>53576040
Yeah it's kind of sad for the players to gather a huge amount of loot and then have nothing to do with it. I will probably let them build a stronghold, maybe even a mobile one, and hopefully they get into it.
>>53576042
Yeah I think the oathbreaker should only be used in very rare situations (evil party, optimising, and a focus on combat rather than social). Out of curiosity, what do you think of death cleric?
>>
File: Famine Spirit.png (88KB, 464x808px) Image search: [Google]
Famine Spirit.png
88KB, 464x808px
Is this monster ok now? I think I fixed it...
>>
File: 981417948618757235.jpg (58KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
981417948618757235.jpg
58KB, 900x900px
>>53576153
>>
>>53576135
To the first part yes, I encourage players to invest in businesses and other things, it opens up quests and allies for future things.

As to the second I haven't had many run in so I can't say, I have pretty strong opinions on the other because I've seen it kill games because everyone's having fun then that one guy rolls one up and makes everything boring in combat or just tries to turn it into an evil campaign.
>>
CHULT CONFIRMED!

"Tomb of Annihilation"
>>
>>53576230
Acererak is the villan.
>>
File: Famine.png (86KB, 464x808px) Image search: [Google]
Famine.png
86KB, 464x808px
>>53576194
just be glad he changed it anon, it used to look like THIS
>>
>>53576194
Please elaborate. Is the SoD aura too much? I made sure it had a new save each round. Is the damage too low? Too high? Should the aura of pain just inflict disadvantage on attacks and checks, instead of incapacitation? I am trying to covert Elder Evils to 5e so I need help converting some of the monsters. I can't find Bodak anywhere, not sure if it's in Volos or just hasn't been made yet because the death gaze would be hard to port into 5e in a satisfying way.
>>
>>53576065
I should really go back and get it.
>>
>>53576261
Please delete that abomination from your hard drive.
>>
>>53576230
MUH. FUKKEN. DICK.
>>
>>53576276
Yes. Yes, you should.
>>
>>53576230
Chult was expected but I'm disappointed its not a planar travel adventure featuring Dendar as villain.
>>
FUCKING CHULT CONFIRED
>>
>>53576230

Pendleton Ward (of Adventure Time fame) was the primary consultant for writing the story.
>>
File: DBVPsygU0AAeOTw.jpg (67KB, 451x723px) Image search: [Google]
DBVPsygU0AAeOTw.jpg
67KB, 451x723px
>>
>>53576330
so it will be trash?
>>
>>53576230
Chult was rumored and expected but I was kinda hoping for something other then Forgotten Realms.
>>
>>53576289
No.
>>
>>53576311
Is Dendar even still around?
I know they fucked with the whole elder evil thing as part of their elemental chaos and astral sea in 4e.
>>
>>53576330
Oh, good to know, won't be buying it then.
>>
File: 1459439785452.gif (3MB, 1530x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1459439785452.gif
3MB, 1530x1080px
>It's ANOTHER adventure book with no announcement for anything for PC's.
>>
>>53576230

Notes:

* Zorbo (monster) coming back
* Store release: Sept 8th
* Wide release: Sept 19th
* Kingdom overrun with undead, "meet strange creatures from DnD's past". Since Acererak is the villain, presumably a bunch of undead (zombie dinosaurs that vomits zombies).
>>
>>53576427
>Is Dendar even still around?
Don't know about FR lore since 4e, but Dendaer and Co. were referenced in a bunch of books in 5e, as Warlock Patron for example.
>>
>>53576435
>3 years
>a few races, a few more races most dms won't allow, and a few archetypes
5e is going to be a long edition
>>
File: 99e.png (63KB, 500x283px) Image search: [Google]
99e.png
63KB, 500x283px
>>53576435
>another adventure book that is actually a setting
>>
>>53576402
Pretty please?
>>
Since they are trying to write a reason the resurrection is gone/gimped and undead is a theme in this, Think they will implement that UA Revenant template in this?
>>
>>53576498
Never.
>>
>>53575667
Life cleric's healing makes parties invincible if the cleric is spending slots wisely and not doing something dumb like standing out in the open.
>every is low on HP, one or two people have been KO'd, it seems like the enemies will win
>mass healing word and undo all their progress :^)
>channel divinity for short rest recharging mass healing
>cure wounds can pick someone up to full
Oh, oh what's that? You thought we were dying? The Fighter is at full HP again and is unleashing Crossbow Master/Sharpshooter shots into your strongest member's ass? Did I do that?
>>
File: 1467688213938.gif (451KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1467688213938.gif
451KB, 500x500px
>>53576494
Sweet bruh

We get to adventure in the F O R G O T T E N R E A L M S A G A I N.

I can't fucking wait to see all the unique stuff in FR, like shitty characters and shitty meme organizations and shitty reused areas!
>>
File: bestrules.png (96KB, 386x228px) Image search: [Google]
bestrules.png
96KB, 386x228px
>>53575086
>You can literally die fucking.
>Excellent.
>>
File: UA Gothic Characters.pdf (62KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
UA Gothic Characters.pdf
62KB, 1x1px
>>53576502
All the Gothic Heroes stuff would be great.
>>
So I want to play an onryo Japanese ghost sort of a character, like those from The Ring and The Grudge. The character doesn't necessarily have to be dead, but I want some mechanics that represent their twisted movement or ceaseless pursuit.

I'm thinking a Water Genasi for the creepy dampness and clammy appearance. Unsure of the kind of class though, Monk or Vengeance Paladin?
>>
>>53576435
Given the shit they got from last set I can understand why they are hesitant to say if they're dropping races and classes. Then again they put out the purple dragon knight so it's not like they can do much worse. What worries me is they'll prove me wrong on that.
>>
>>53576526
shadow monk, at will teleport in dark places
>>
I have a Forgotten Realms lore question, were there any Elven Floating Cities? Can't find any signs of one but there being only Netheril floating cities seems kind of odd.

I'm running a homebrew campaign that involves getting one up and running again with Proctiv's Move Mountain and an Elven Mythallar so any lore about how Mythallars were made would be good too. The lore book Empire of Netheril doesn't have too much crunch on that from what I have been reading.
>>
>>53576435
>>53576484
There'll probably be at least some magic items.

I'd actually like them to do a bit more with charms, blessings and boons, if they could.
>>
>>53576548
It's been almost two years since SCAG. If they can't improve class design and balance since then, the whole system is fucked.
>>
>>53576505
ok :(
>>
>>53576435
This is excellent from my perspective. Pretty much every edition of the game has died because of an overwhelming number of overpowered splat books that have destroyed any semblance of balance to the game.

I only ever run core anyway, I love having good adventure modules to draw inspiration from and I love not having to tell players they can't use their overpowered splat book bullshit over and over again.

Long live 5E
>>
>>53575625
Use a replacement for death save rules that still encourages healing players before they take damage beyond 0 but isn't a 'heal the party member at 0 constantly to get them up every turn' chucklefest

The fact that the cleric is a life cleric barely changes healing word's effect on getting them up since the HP healed in that case hardly matters
Though the channel divinity does certainly have an effect
>>
File: 1474862866807.png (38KB, 175x175px) Image search: [Google]
1474862866807.png
38KB, 175x175px
>>53576153
>>53576261
>>53576265
dreadful

simply dreadful
>>
>>53576575
The sad thing is despite this being bait there are DM's who think like this and lack creativity and have to use adventure modules over and over.
>>
>>53576441

* Optional meatgrinder rule: "Hard mode", higher ACs, less damage, additional effects, etc.
* Guide for what happens when characters die (become zombies, etc).
* Pulpy, "Indiana Jones"-style story.
* A lot of setting-dressing for DMs who want to use Chult without the adventure.

Dice, Camera, Action for the next hour or two, so going to step away for a bit.
>>
>>53574300
So if they are going to publish the artificer in a regular, official book...
Eberron confirmed?
>>
>>53576261
The fuck is this?

>>53576265
Disadvantage, while dumb in this case would be better than 'save or die'. Still terrible though.
>>
>>53576614
>The fuck is this?
that was anon's original design for his monster.
>>
>>53576597
Guessing you're a player missing your 3.5 splatbooks to build overpowered.

If you've had any experience as a GM you'd know that using modules as inspiration and borrowing parts of them for your own campaign is par of the course.

Unlike copying some overpowered build off of the internet GM'ing and up to date, good quality adventure books to get inspiration, maps, monsters and ideas from are a god send.

Keep crying over your lack of munchkin builds though, the rest of us will continue playing one of the most well balanced editions to date that isn't being killed by a torrent of filthy, disgusting, OP splat content and resulting power creep.
>>
>>53576582
>>53576614
Okay but WHY IS IT BAD and how do I fix it? It's Famine Spirit from MM2 in 3.5, one of my favorite monsters from that edition. I am just trying to convert it.
>>
>>53576153
Do something else entirely, like focusing on stacking exhaustion on players rather than this critfishing memenonsense.
>>
File: 1492707876465.jpg (55KB, 351x419px) Image search: [Google]
1492707876465.jpg
55KB, 351x419px
>>53576632
>>53576651
it's like my little brother just started scribbling a new monster into the margins of my MM

the horror
>>
Anyone here read the Cleric Quintet books? The hell happens to Cadderly after the Ghost King? Poor bastard was never mentioned again
>>53576649
I definitely miss all the splatbooks, people just have to control themselves from cherry picking all the op shit from wherever
5e may be well balanced but sooo little content
>>
>>53576649
Some of us want options, anon. New things to try.
>>
>>53576017
Oath of Devotion it is then, thanks.
>>
>>53576550
There were no Elven floating enclaves, no. Those were exclusively Netherese.

To provide a brief lore reason, the Netherese discovered the Nether Scrolls (which are basically a self-updating set of ALL the magical lore for the ENTIRE setting, or at least all known lore, Mystra's mentioned as personally writing new scrolls on occasion), but where the elves relied on High Magic and largely didn't use the Scrolls, the Netherese went balls deep into those things with the Terraseer (part of a race who WROTE the things) holding their wizardly dicks to guide them in. They started pulling out 10th level and 11th level spells (and of course Karsus' Avatar eventually), which caused severe damage to the Weave that elves loved/relied on and turned repairing it into a full time job for Mystryl (so when Karsus cast his spell and stole her divinity, he immediately couldn't handle the sudden need to repair all the damage, which contributed to the collapse of everything and Mystryl reincarnating herself into Mystra to save the Weave and take it back).

So there aren't elven mythallars or lore about how they're made, because they don't exist. Mythallars DO in some sense adapt from mythal magic, but they have a clear "core component" and mythals are a different working. The last time the elves really did anything like a floating enclave was when they used high magic to literally pull a chunk of Arvandor into the Prime, creating the isle of Evermeet. And that fucked up a LOT of the world and actively lessened magic everywhere to concentrate it on Evermeet.

Ironically, as much as the elves bitch about humans and their magic, they're responsible, by the numbers, for far more catastrophes over the history of Toril.
>>
>>53576681
I don't understand why people are so fixated on a perceived lack of content. Just because it isn't official, doesn't mean you can't make it yourself. It is so easy to homebrew in 5e, and there's tons of good homebrew material out there.
>>
I'll soon be a first time DM and was wondering about some things
I think the lower level game is too enjoyable to finish after the first 3 sessions
Do you think players would be ok with restricting their starting equipment (especially heavy armor), reducing their starting gold and cutting XP gains to a half for the first 3 levels?
I always like the idea of players starting out as commoners with ambition of heroism instead of being heroes from the starting line.
My players are the kinda guys that have trouble saying no, so if I wanted to push the idea on them they would agree regardless of if they actually like it.
Have you guys any experience with prolonging the early game? Was it good, was it bad?
>>
>>53576700

Well you can't really have it both ways, Pathfinder still exists if that is what you want.
>>
>>53576567
They have been getting better, then they try and push mystic and artificer over other more polished ideas.
>>
>>53576729
and yet, there's so much bad homebrew for 5e. Like, a ridiculous amount.
>>
>>53576718
Daaaamn you Karsus!
It's because of him we can't have nice things (more 10th+ levels spells pls)
>>
>>53576729
It's cause homebrew leaves a bad taste in the mouth over officialbrew
>>
>>53576735
How is wanting more player content 'both ways'?
>>
>>53576729
Homebrew is okay if you have an old group of people who know you, and which you know and trust in return, otherwise, most GMs will be extremely picky about allowing homebrew or ban it altogether. That's the benefit of having it be official. A lot of people are much quicker to accept a subclass or things like that if it's published by WotC

Not to mention good homebrew is about as easy to find as a specific grain of sand in the Sahara
>>
>>53576730
Milestone. Make it almost 1 session:1 level at first. You can stretch it out to 4 or 5 then.
>>
>>53576667
Okay either give me at least a couple concrete reasons why it is bad or I am going to assume I'm being trolled.

>>53576655
Well the point of Vorpal was severing heads on a critical hit. It used to sever a head on a crit, but obviously that's not ok in 5e, so I just made it deal loads more necrotic damage. I am trying to preserve the monster's identity as much as I can. Should the pain aura just add exhaustion levels then? It's meant to function like Symbol of Pain, but again, that's from 3.5 so obviously expectations are different.>>53576681
>Anyone here read the Cleric Quintet books? The hell happens to Cadderly after the Ghost King? Poor bastard was never mentioned again

Dunno. Salvatore might bring him back some day when he gets sick of Drizzt. Which will be never.
>>
>>53576762
>>53576746
Yeah, you guys aren't wrong. There's some really bad shit you'll have to sift through. Still, between UA (forge cleric anyone?) and homebrew there's plenty of stuff to give players options.
>>
>>53576729
Because most homebrew is shit, and it also stays within a small cluster of people. Official content is for everyone, and adds to the available discussion material for the game.
>>
>>53576808
>forge cleric anyone?
Yes please, playing one right now and it is fantastic.
>>
>>53576807
I would have thought exhaustion would be the best way to do a famine spirit. I don't really get what the head-slicing / vorpal / critfishing has to do with its identity. Pain aura also doesn't sound like 'everybody stops moving and waits for the thing to crit it more', that sounds more like yeti's chilling gaze.
>>
I'm considering starting a new 5e campaign with these rules:

>everyone uses the standard array for stats
>everyone rolls a 1d6: what you get is what you can add to modify your standard array stats up to 18
>everyone starts with 1 feat
>at every ability score increase you can choose to raise 3 points worth of stats, but only 2 into the same one
>you can choose to give up 2 of the 3 points in exchange for a feat, giving you 1 left to increase your ability scores with
>or you can choose to exchange all 3 in exchange for gaining some benefit in your class: an example could be gaining an invocation for a warlock, taking another fighting style or maneuver for fighters, gaining a new school for wizards, etc., subject to DM approval.

How awful is this idea and why should I kill myself?
>>
>>53576807
You can keep the decapitation, get rid of the extra damage on a crit. Word it like this:

>If a creature is reduced to 0 hp as the result of a critical hit, they are decapitated.

Its about as shitty as failing a few saves and having your brains sucked out by a mindflayer, but rare enough to not happen often.
>>
>>53576807
Drizzt finally ended tho
r-right?
>>
>>53576767

More player options and balance are somewhat opposing things.
>>
>>53576843
>How awful is this idea and why should I kill myself?
Very and do you really need a reason?
Honestly though, why all the buffs? Your players are just going to steamroll through everything
>>
>>53576843
Well anon, first you need to know if your players want to play- oh, yeah, just kill yourself already.
>>
>>53576747
Fun fact: 10th level and higher spells are not, in fact, completely gone. Even Karsus' Avatar is just on a one-way trip to the end of the multiverse and beyond (to make sure annoying fucking wizards don't find it).

What Mystra did was reorganise the Weave, so while the spells still technically exist, the entire system for figuring out how to cast them is gone and would have to be rebuilt from scratch, making them inoperative and incomprehensible to the Netherese, plus changing the symbols and glyphs so they hurt the minds of people who try to tinker with them or memorise them. There are some wizards who have taken the time to learn how to do this: Larloch has true 10th level spells, as does the Srinshee. Most have no idea because as soon as you hit 10th level spell stuff now the entire system is completely sideways.

The 2E rules for them were:

- Attempts to cast them always fail the first time.
- All castings are failures if the caster has less than 18 INT and 16 WIS and is under 20th level.
- All castings result in wild magic if the caster doesn't have a second spellcaster (min. level 18 and 18 INT) who uses another spell or spells to link his/her will, mind, and life energy to the principal caster.
- All casting attempts have an 85% chance to result in the loss of 1 level on the part of all casters, and always takes 2d6hp and 1d4 other memorised spells from each.
- Any casting attempts attract the attention of both Mystra and Azuth. If they deem the casting to be for personal ends or to have the death/destruction of a rival mage or magical items as their goal, or to be in support of any tyranny or oppressive authority (i.e. work against the free and ongoing development of magic across Faerun), they cause the end result to be Feeblemind (permanent) on all casters involved and the instant disappearance of the written spell.
>>
>>53576843
WHY
>>
>>53576843

What problem are you trying to fix, and why is this the best solution?
>>
>>53576866
that's not untrue, but stagnation kills games.
>>
>>53576834
I have a forge cleric in the bullpen in case my character dies.

>>53576843
>>53576871
Its not terrible if you're looking for a more high-powered, heroic campaign.
>>
>>53576866
Not really true.
>>
>>53576845
Hell no, it's still going. It kinda sucks now because Salvatore moved on to a new era, past all the other characters' lifetimes.

>>53576843
1d6 is very swingy. My advice: characters roll five stats with standard 4d6dL method, then add them up, subtract the total from 72, and the remainder is their sixth stat, up to a max of 18.
>>
>>53576843
You're basically going to use a stronger, more complicated version of point buy. Just use point buy. Allowing class features to be "bought" is dumb. Everyone starting with a feat could be okay but don't allow buying feats.
>>
How OP would this be?

https://hackslashmaster.blogspot.com/2015/06/on-5th-edition-barbarian-variant-rage.html
>>
>>53576840
Well the idea is that they are overwhelmed by the agony and thus unable to do much, but I would prefer something like 3.5's shaken condition which was just a boring ol' penalty to hit but it still had the effect. I will change it over to exhaustion, though.
>>
>>53576730
I would hate that.

To me and my group, the game behind at level 3. Before then, it is just the intro. Something meaningful in figuring out the path you want to take, and essential to establishing the character, but still something that should be done within the first 2 sessions at most. Usually we hit level 2 like halfway through the first session, and level 3 at the end of the second.

After that it slows down considerably. At level 3, you have enough of your class identity to feel like your class really matters, and you can utilize that very well with an established character idea and concept already. After this point, we usually take 4-6 sessions for each additional level.

"Early game"/"low level" should be considered as 3-6. Level 1 and 2 really shouldn't be levels you stick around on for more than a session or two at most.
>>
>All these people need specific options
>Instead of refluffing to fit a theme

It's like you guys lack imagination
>>
>>53576936
Exhaustion builds up as they get more stacks of it and they become slower / more dehibilitated until they finally go unconscious/dead/whatever. I think that gradual build-up has a better dynamic to it.
>>
>>53576962
Refluffing is unsatisfying and doesn't allow for meaningfully fulfilling certain niches. For instance, the Swashbuckler rogue is a perfect fit for the kind of character it is supposed to represent, and without it, you're left with either building a weird battlemaster, superficially refluffing a rogue/bard while playing like any other rogue/bard or multiclass memery
>>
>>53576881
Thanks for the write-up!
Larloch very interesting and sounds badass, so sad it doesn't look like there are that many novels around him. Still glad Szass Tam got the Haunted Lands trilogy (best trilogy after the Avatar one)
I think by 3/3.5 you could get an epic spell by picking an epic feat when you reach 20+, but I don't really remember if they were 10th+
>>
>>53577004
Alright I'll do that, thanks. How do I word it exactly? "A character who starts his turn within the aura must make X save, or gain one level of exhaustion"?
>>
>>53577044
Essentially yes
>>
>>53576843

I assume you are trying to run a Highpower campaign? That feels a tad to overcorrected, I am running a Highpower Planescape campaign next month. These were my ideas if you need comparison.
>Ability Scores: Standard Point Buy
>EXP: Milestone approach
>Feats: Everyone gets a feat at level 1.
>Human: No Variant Human, but Base Human, gets 1 additional Skill and 1 additional tool Proficiency
>Inspiration: No inspiration rules at start. During Act III , after arriving in Sigil, Everyone is given a single d20 to provide advantage or disadvantage. 1/session, does not roll over. This isn’t to be based on “Roleplaying” or good sportsmanship. Instead this is their belief and will being exerted on the planes. Will have story justification explained in character before allowing this rule.
>Bonus action spells: If a spell is cast as an action you can cast another spell as a bonus if it is listed as such.
>Fighter: Champion archetype is rolled into the base class
>Warlock: uses DMG alternate spell point system
>Barbarian: Instead of a Rage bonus damage(+2,+3,+4) its a die (1d4,1d6,1d8)
>Ranger: Revised Ranger is used
>Monk: Martial die is one step higher.
>>
>>53576910
Did he not Hero was the last book or something? They wrapped up a lot of stuff (Gromph and Jarlaxle still pretty badass, Artemis finally chilled, Catti-brie still a bitch)
Man I wish WotC were still churning out books like they did before
>>
>>53577050
sounds good. Yeah I like taht more than a straight incapacitation. I would have been fine with it just dealing necrotic damage (or psychic damage actually) but that's better. Should I keep the ongoing psychic damage in the aura?
>>
>>53576843
I just used this array:
>18,16,14,12,10,8
>1 feat to everyone
>No variant human
High power, sure, but I knoe how to balance the encounters. It makes the players start with a max in their preferred stat, and it makes ASI interesting from level 4, as they are more likely to dip into feats.

I typically also reward them with certain feats depending on what they do. A good example would be the "Gotta go fast" monk, who got the Charger feat for free, because he really enjoyed the "MAD DASH INTO THE ENEMY FACE WITH MY FIIIIIST" playstyle, and lets be real here, no one would willingly waste a feat on charger under any circumstances.
>>
>>53577070
did he not mention*
>>
>>53577022
Epic spells are different from 10th level magic.

Epic spells are kinda what Imaskar used, and mechanically is how High Magic worked in 3rd edition (I think Lost Empires of Faerun had the Mythal seed for example, and the Dragon book had the Dracorage mythal). Because of how they were designed they ranged from low-50s in spell DCs all the way up to 200-300+ or higher.

True 10th level magic was just boom, cast it, and you're done. Or it was, before Karsus pissed in everybody's punch bowl.
>>
>>53577044
I'd actually do it so that at the start of each of its turns everybody in the aura makes the save against exhaustion, and then the creature also has a ranged spell attack against AC that on hit inflicts a level of exhaustion too without save but can only target those who didn't just make a save against exhaustion so it can't just stack it up on the same target.
And some clause about eating food reducing the exhaustion back to normal without having to take long rests.
>>
>>53577062
>Fighter: Champion archetype is rolled into the base class
Holy shit.

Why the fuck would you never NOT pick fighter?

The tweaks to the other classes is non existent in comparison Jesus Christ.
>>
>>53576718
Thanks man, I'm gonna be pouring over that description all day now, I had the idea that maybe an elf stole the secrets to cast it, but I guess I can move to one elf was sick of humans being so awesome and decided to use the scroll.

The city got lucky during Karsus' Folly but the spell couldn't be cast.

From what I'm reading though, after Mystra was killed by Cyric now Epic Spells can be cast again? So I'm trying to build up the idea of now the Mythallar is finally trying to do what it was built to to do, but parts of the runes are damaged and when the levitation is trying to start it causes small earthquakes in the city.

I plan to have the characters investigate another Netheril city that fell or someone who knows about floating cities to copy the runes and help them complete the spell so the earthquakes don't get worse and destroy the city, or find a way to safely disarm the spell so the earthquakes stop but doesn't damage the Mythallar.
>>
>>53577101
Ahh, I see I see, you schooled me real gud boi
Aww man, now I'm definitely missing the old books
>>
>>53576377
This new book makes me want to run a ToH game sometime soon. What level characters and what size party would you recommend for the enjoyment of this adventure in its official 5e version? I probably wont be dming a high experienced party, but they are not murderhobos
>>
Not really 5e related but what markers should I use on my chessex mat
>>
This stream is so cringy. Why are two of the players standing next to Perkins instead of facing him?
>>
File: Gelato man.jpg (15KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
Gelato man.jpg
15KB, 300x300px
>>53577062
>Champion archetype is rolled into the base class
>>
>>53577127
Party specific change. No likes or uses fighter in my group.
>>
>>53576843
Personally I'd say:

>Everyone uses point by, but it's 30 points instead
>Everybody starts with 1 feat, but the feat can be customized to allow playstyles or do all sorts of crazy things
>Everybody gets a one-off extra ASI at level X.
>Remove weapon feats, everybody gets a part of a weapon feat applied to a weapon for free
>Variant human is still allowed because you've just removed their problem so eh.

But the main disagreement here is likely rolling for stats. It seems a bit.. Rolling only 1d6 takes most of the point out of rolling for stats. Sure, it's way safer, but if you want something safe then allow point buy.
Not to mention point buy is actually more customizable than standard array with that nonsense anyway. Just make sure you give a higher point buy than 27 so people can actually feasibly increase non-critical stats.
>>
File: 203349_o03.jpg (13KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
203349_o03.jpg
13KB, 450x450px
>>53577186
>>
>>53577015
Yet the couple classes or archetypes that fill specific niches are shit on constantly for being only focused on x. Instead of just new content I think they should fix the fucking issues people have been complaining about forever.
>>
>>53577186
Wet Erase markers. Check office supplies stores.
>>
>>53577186
Don't listen to the other poster, use wet-erase markers. Dry erase markers will ruin the mat.
>>
>Another Forgotten Realms adventure
That means the next one will be in another setting, r-right?
>>
>>53577127
It's effectively just crits on 18-20 and some healing at 18th level. Champion's 7th level feature is wowitsfuckingnothing.jpg and the additional fighting style rarely matters that much on play
>>
>>53577242
I fucking hope they announce a setting guide for something that isn't Forgotten Realms as well. They said they're announcing more than one thing over the course of the stream, so hopefully there'll be something good in there.
>>
File: Flesh_golem-5e.jpg (295KB, 750x1772px) Image search: [Google]
Flesh_golem-5e.jpg
295KB, 750x1772px
Hey guys, I have a question about encounter balancing. My players are gonna fight a Hag and I used Volo's Guide to roll what her servants might be, and she got a Flesh Golem. I'm going to tweak it a bit since my players are only level 4, and besides the Bard all of them are straight nonmagical damage, which would mean this thing would basically wreck their asses hard cause it's Immune to Bludgeoning/Piercing/Slashing damage from nonmagic weapons. I was thinking I'd either remove those entirely or make it resistant instead of immune, but I'm still a bit shaky on whether this would still be too OP or not. The Berserk trait also seems especially brutal. What do you guys think?
>>
>>53577271
Why is it even immune in the first place?

Do Wizards just hate martials that much that even a creature made out of flesh itself is immune to physical damage?
>>
>>53577188
Poor planning. I'm pretty sure this is the only playing room/set, so expect this sitting configuration for the rest of the stream.
>>
So, the participation of the Adventure Time dude basically guarantees the next adventure to be a meme joke for the Critical Role crowd.
>>
>>53577271
the berserk trait does nothing, all it says is that it MUST attack SOMETHING, not that it gains an additional attack.
>>
>>53577134
Mystra being killed by Cyric flatlined the Weave into a raggedy mess (causing the Spellplague as well) until Mystra was able to reincarnate herself again and had her minions go around re-anchoring the Weave so mortals could access it once more (which heralded 5th edition). In the meantime, they just snitched at drips and drabs of what they could find and used that (Szass Tam made a deal with Bane for complete knowledge of how to access as much as he could in exchange for his soul in 1000 years, though he planned to ascend to godhood before the time was up by sucking the life out of all the Chosen he could find for their divine essence).

Think of Mystra as like a computer in that sense. She was stuck in boot mode until somebody plugged her hard drive back in and she could kick herself back into motion.

Creation of the floating cities essentially involved using the Move Mountain to flip a mountaintop upside down and trigger the levitation there for the mythallar, holding it up by sucking massive amounts of power from the Weave (Shade used the Shadow Weave... and it can't do that any more, hence it also crashing on top of Myth Drannor because Mystra was done with their shit). Any floating city re-emerging would have a lot of powerful individuals closing in very fast. Something to think about while planning!
>>
File: 1495519326262.png (393KB, 645x1260px) Image search: [Google]
1495519326262.png
393KB, 645x1260px
>>53576871
>>53576892
Not necessarily "high power" but I do enjoy a "humble" start that gradually gets better. I like a relatively balance newbie party that becomes noticeably more powerful as time passes. I like the progression of "novice" to "hero," I guess.

>>53576880
>>53576882
The noose has already been tied my friends.

>>53576886
None really, just want to experiment. In particular I want to see what would happen if you allowed, instead of exchanging ASI for a feat, you would allow ASI exchanges for an in-class option of some sort. Might be interesting.

>>53576919
But you can already "buy" feats. I'm just allowing it so if you get one you can also gain a +1 in an ability score at the same time. But honestly I think I'll scrap that and stick with 2. I didn't think about how some feats give a +1 to a stat anyway, so basically in some choices they'd be gaining the +2 anyway in addition to a feat. I'm dropping the +3 ASI and will promptly kill myself. I think I'll keep the in-class option though.

>>53576910
>>53577062
Standard array makes it so nobody is a min-maxing bastard, rolling a 1d6 for a small bonus is fine. I have nothing against other roll options or the point buy system: just wanted to try something new, really. I like your ideas overall. Inspiration has a neat twist that I can appreciate and I like the human change (which I'll definitely use).

>>53577076
Love that idea for awarding feats. Will use it. Not the first I've heard of it but I did like how you awarded charger to a... well, charger. Good shit.

>>53577212
>Everybody starts with 1 feat, but the feat can be customized to allow playstyles or do all sorts of crazy things
I like this idea a lot. I think I'll revise it to allow it at level 1 or level 3: that way they can "customize" their feat in general, or allow it to be tied into a class option (and most classes get their main branching choices at level 3).

Even though I'm going to kill myself soon...

I love you magnificent bastards.
>>
>>53577298
Ah, found the flavour text.

"Powerful enchantments protect the golem's skin,
deflecting spells and all but the most potent weapons."

Why don't they just put these 'powerful enchantments' on literally fucking everyone if they can put it on a simple frankenstein's monster?
>>
File: Famine Spirit.png (80KB, 464x768px) Image search: [Google]
Famine Spirit.png
80KB, 464x768px
>>53577050
>>53577124
Okay is this a bit better?
>>
File: MadIntern.png (18KB, 585x208px) Image search: [Google]
MadIntern.png
18KB, 585x208px
Just shut off your brain, bro.
>>
>>53577271
How about you give your matials some magical weapons.
>>
>>53577369
>bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from non magical weapons that aren't adamantine

or, you know...
>>
>>53577271
>>53577298
They are immune unless its adamantine weapons, I would say throw a weak one at them with 1 attack and less health, and have an adamantine weapon for your favorite martial. It gives them a teaser and then the players can improvise like grappling shove to prone and everything. It also doesn't up their power level but it gives them something so they know they are improving and progressing.
>>
>>53577366
Filing off the serial numbers from a adventure or material is just normal practice, what are you even talking about?
>>
>>53577365
I suppose so, but it's probably a bit below CR 15 now. Maybe.
>>
>>53577392
>Convenient adamantine weapons at level 4 against a creature that's literally only immune because 'lol a wizard did it'.
>>
>>53577353
>But you can already "buy" feats
Usually from 4th level onwards, that's an important part. There's a reason why vhuman is a powergamer's darling
>>
>>53577345
Thanks! I guess I'm gonna keep that plot point going slow, since the characters are level 5, and have a hobgoblin warlord to deal with more currently. I would prefer them to be closer to 10 when the city starts to fly. But I'll make sure to keep them doing stuff.

Thanks man I'll keep that in mind.
>>
File: mearls.jpg (35KB, 572x780px) Image search: [Google]
mearls.jpg
35KB, 572x780px
>HEY ANON, WHY AREN'T YOU PLAYING THE MYSTIC?
>>
>>53575390
You have bigger problems and shouldn't be so concerned with entertainment.
>>
>>53577366

Is there honestly any difference between FR and [generic unnamed campaign setting]? As mentioned a dozen other times ITT, the goal is to use the adventure books as guidelines and to adjust as needed. It's not gospel.
>>
>>53577508
Cause Artificer came out first and I'm playing that.

>Expertise in glassblowing took checks
>>
>>53577508
because we're in the middle of a campaign and i'm already playing a forge cleric.
>>
>>53577508
Because fuck you, Mearls, I hate psionics.
>>
>>53577518
Good luck trying to set this adventure in somewhere like Dark Sun or Ravenloft. Sure, it might work for all the generic high fantasy settings out there, but it's not really great advice.
>>
>>53577508
Cause I feel like playing my Human Fighter
>>
>>53577557
>Sand King's Thunder

Wow that was hard
>>
>>53577557
>Good luck trying to set this adventure in somewhere like Dark Sun or Ravenloft
Good luck trying to set ANY random adventure in either of those settings.
>>
>>53577508
I don't eat cocks.
>>
>>53577596
don't lie to us
>>
File: Mearlss.jpg (122KB, 1536x1255px) Image search: [Google]
Mearlss.jpg
122KB, 1536x1255px
>>53577541
But it's fun and balanced, anon! What is there not to like?
>>
>>53577599
Ok maybe I sometimes think about eating cocks but I haven't done it.
>>
>>53577612
anon...
>>
>>53577610
Too sci-fi for my knights and dragons game.
>>
>>53577622
W-what..?
>>
File: Merals.png (291KB, 399x392px) Image search: [Google]
Merals.png
291KB, 399x392px
>>53577525
>>53577533
>>53577541
>>53577565
>>53577596
>>53577628
>he doesn't play a mystic
>>
>>53577585
That's the whole point, bro.
>>
>>53577642
this is a safe space anon, you're safe here.
>>
>>53577610
>>53577643
I genuinely think Mearls has his head squarely up his own ass about this game. Do not believe anything he says. Do not listen to anything he says. Crawford is the only word.
>>
>>53577663
i thought bird is the word.
>>
NEW BOOK ANNOUNCED

XANATHAR'S GUIDE TO EVERYTHING

WE PLANESCAPE NOW BOYS
>>
>>53577658
I admit it I love dragon balls.
>>
>>53577688
who's xanathar btw? Another Netherese?
>>
>>53577688
I don't believe you
>>
>one of my players stops by my house to ask if he can borrow my books to DM for a group I'm not included in because he's too fucking cheap to buy his own

tactless fucking nerds I swear
>>
>>53577688
>>53577698

Xanathar is a Beholder crime boss in Waterdeep. What does he have to do with Planescape, retard?
>>
File: AYYY.png (1MB, 1099x608px) Image search: [Google]
AYYY.png
1MB, 1099x608px
>>53577710
BELIEVE IT MOTHERFUCKER
>>
>>53577728
Still skeptical but alright
>>
>>53577728
If anything this is a guide to Undermountain.
>>
File: DBViwisU0AAHDj7.jpg (177KB, 900x1200px) Image search: [Google]
DBViwisU0AAHDj7.jpg
177KB, 900x1200px
>>53577688
>>53577710

Hanging on the wall in Studio C/Green Room of Stream of Annihilation. Could be a joke, could be an upcoming product.
>>
>>53577724
Beholders are pretty smart, Xanathar would probably know a lot of things
>>
>>53577735
>>53577748

Was announced by the official twitter account, if that means anything.
>>
>The Xanathar was one of most infamous beholders of the Realms and the crime lord of the Xanathar Thieves' Guild in Skullport.

It's probably Undermountain considering they set that up in Tales Of The Yawning Portal.
>>
>>53577802
Then post a link you cock loving faggot
>>
>>53577820
IT'S GOING TO HAVE ALL OF THE STATS FOR THE ARCHDEVILS

ARE YOU READY TO ADVENTURE IN THE NINE HELLS
>>
>>53577768
Who all is playing in the stream?
>>
>>53577854
Bunch of candyasses no one cares about
>>
>>53577802
>>53577768
>>53577728
>>53577688
More like teased than announced. Announced implies official confirmation it's coming, usually with some basic information about the product. Still, it very likely will be announced later in the stream, probably in the upcoming break if they're outright posting the cover right now.

>>53577832
https://twitter.com/Wizards_DnD/status/870710703111393281

>>53577854
Currently Dice, Camera, Action and then Acquisitions, Inc.: The "C" Team is next.
http://dnd.wizards.com/streamofannihilation
>>
>How?
>BY DYING
>>
Where was Nathan in this game?
>>
Why is everyone wearing customes in this stream
>>
File: 1312043368457.jpg (23KB, 439x474px) Image search: [Google]
1312043368457.jpg
23KB, 439x474px
>Neverwinter
>>
I liked the awkward face he did in the camera close up because they didn't play the video on time
>>
The cringe is too much.
>>
File: 1496421651913.jpg (24KB, 271x359px) Image search: [Google]
1496421651913.jpg
24KB, 271x359px
What?
>>
>>53577957
Holy shit I just realize they didn't even play it with sound on
>>
File: Confirmation.png (50KB, 578x239px) Image search: [Google]
Confirmation.png
50KB, 578x239px
>>53577735
>>53577710
>>53577832
>>53577728
>>53577688

The Curse product manager confirmed it's totally real.
>>
>>53577977
>The Curse product manager

Literally who?
>>
>>53576910
And when somebody rolls 5 14s on their stats they get 2 in the last one? Or when they roll over that it's negative? Are you a literal retard?
>>
>>53577885
>Day off is tomorrow
>Girls Guts Glory is the opening stream

Jesus Mearls try being a little less obvious with your shilling.
>>
>>53576843
>>or you can choose to exchange all 3 in exchange for gaining some benefit in your class: an example could be gaining an invocation for a warlock, taking another fighting style or maneuver for fighters, gaining a new school for wizards, etc., subject to DM approval.

This part right here is what ruined it.

Also if you follow these rules prepare for everyone to play Kenasi-Bladesingers.
>>
>>53577993
Only the guy that runs D&D Beyond
>>
>>53578020
Okay Adam
>>
>>53578020
Oooohhh that's why no one cares who he is.
>>
Who was the woman playing with Dice Camera Action on the SoA stream? the one with the blue wig on?
>>
I love how they think people still care about this failure of a MMO.
>>
>>53578035
At least he knows when products come out before you assholes do
>>
>youcanexploretheriverandI'mnotgoingtotellyouhow
>okay
This host isn't doing a good job of looking like she doesn't want to kill anyone she talks with
>>
>>53578044
>>
>>53578069
Back to /a/ with you.
>>
>>53578018
I'm typing up an overhaul of that idea right now.

Revised version will basically only let you choose an additional feature on a list for "minor" class bonuses, but it won't let you choose additional schools for wizards or archtypes or colleges or anything like that that.

Let's say you have a Ranger that's a Hunter and you already picked "Colossus Slayer" for your Hunter's Prey bonus as a 3rd level. You can normally only pick 1. You'd be able to pick "Giant Killer" as well if you gave up your ASI instead of picking a feat. It's meant for shit like that, though that also means not every class would be eligible for that feature.
>>
File: 1493400615245.jpg (5KB, 201x201px) Image search: [Google]
1493400615245.jpg
5KB, 201x201px
>>53578054
This affects me how?
>>
So this adventure is going to be basically a Tomb Of Horrorslite remake featuring dinossaurs?
>>
>>53575534
Anyone can be good at math, I think people that say they aren't were just too bored by it to really try.
>>
>>53578127
My problem was teachers wouldn't accept my work simply because I didn't use a specific formula, the answer was still correct but they still would mark it wrong.
>>
>>53578113
Not really?

Much more like Indiana Jones
>>
>>53578113
yeah but he's talking about Neverwinter not the Tomb of Annihilation
>>
>>53578082
This is 4chan, the entire site is still anime, don't be so ignorant
>>
>>53578203
Back to /pfg/.
>>
>>53578212
Anon, why are you so angry. It's not your fault that this site was built around anime culture
>>
>>53578203
>>53578241
This has never been a good excuse and never will be.

Just in case you weren't aware.
>>
>>53578241
Fuck off to /pfg/.
>>
>DM is going about how he wants to show people you don't need fancy props or special effects to play D&D
>all of his players are in custome
>>
>>53578268
Still, one anime character shouldn't warrent such a reaction, especially on 4chan of all places
>>
My man Jared lowkey throwing shade at Critical Role.
>>
>>53578309
You know he's not a producer right? nor is he a set designer, costumer, makeup artist or director. he had nothing to do with the characters dressing up, the actual game was barebones, not even a grid and minis
>>
Is Gunsmith Artificer over powered?
It seems noticeably better than other ranged classes.
>>
>>53578346
Yes anon, I still found it funny
>>
>>53578355
>Artificer over powered
Very funny.
>>
>>53578315
Yeah probably.
>>
>>53578355
No, it's not.
It's comparable to rogue. With the major drawback that you must use your bonus action to reload.
>>
File: ily.png (999KB, 665x977px) Image search: [Google]
ily.png
999KB, 665x977px
>>53578040
b-bump
>>
>>53578355
Nah, not really. At 5th level it averages what, 19-20 damage per round?
>>
>>53578433
She's part of the new Girls Guts Glory group happy hunting you pleb
>>
>>53578355
It's just a worse handcrossbow rogue with slightly different class abilities, really?
>>
Acquisitions without Perkins is boring. I'll come back for the meatgrinder.
>>
>>53578433
I'd like to DM her a one-shot with 5e guide to sex rules, if you know what I mean.
>>
>>53578455
excuse me?
>>
>>53578433
I'd take her out on a date if you know what I mean.
>>
>>53578550
I'd hold her close and kiss her deeply if ya know what I mean
>>
>>53578548
Type the name of the group into Google and fucking search, also you're tastes are shit which is why I called you a pleb.
>>
>>53578548
you excused boi
>>
>>53578455
They all look so similar, imo. http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/events/stream-annihilation-girls-guts-glory
>>
>>53578561
I already did that, I was just confused as to why I'm a pleb for thinking someone is attractive
>>
File: Barbaroguecomparisons.png (37KB, 1235x238px) Image search: [Google]
Barbaroguecomparisons.png
37KB, 1235x238px
>>53578456
>>53578355
Here, I added it to an excel sheet and this is the result. Correct me if you think this is likely wrong and I can check the claculations a third time, but it's even worse than a suboptimal ranged rogue.
>>
>>53578578
Fuck, its like a reverse boy band but for nerdy neet adults instead of screeching preteens
>>
>>53578559
I'd place my erect penis into her lubricated vagina... if you know what I mean.
>>
>>53578583
Because she's mediocre at best, then again I'm after a qt3.14 to do squats and diddylifts with so I tend to have a little higher standard.
>>
File: whydontyoujustgooglethem.jpg (170KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
whydontyoujustgooglethem.jpg
170KB, 1920x1080px
>>53578578
Here, this might help.
>>
>>53578600
I'd fuck...ing hold her hand
if ya know what I mean
>>
>>53578597
Of course it's a reverse boy band, I can easily see this being a model they sell now, throw together a bunch of attractive or big names and sell it to promote D&D.
>>
Here you go, weirdos.
https://twitter.com/go_nino
>>
>>53578606
>genuinely thinking you're a superior person for not finding someone attractive
k
>>
>>53578591
Oh, but I guess artificer has one saving grace on gunsmith - At level 17 it has a weaker but wider area version of volley that does fire damage. So, uhh.. That exists? It's ~18 fire damage on a failed save as opposed to volley's 1d10+10+5+magicweaponbonuses+ one additional attack from horde breaker for a 1d10+10+5+magicweaponbonuses, with +2 to hit from archery -5 to hit from sharpshooter and all that jazz.
>>
>>53578631
No I think I'm a superior person due to narcissism and putting effort into myself. Even without those two you can have a little better standard and taste instead of this >>53578609
>>
>>53578663
imagine being this cunt
>>
File: Rolltohit.png (2MB, 1150x644px) Image search: [Google]
Rolltohit.png
2MB, 1150x644px
>"Do you want to play D&D with us, anon?"
>>
>>53578578
>http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/events/stream-annihilation-girls-guts-glory
That Kimberly Hidalgo woman has 'reprehensible human being' written all over her face.
>>
>>53578685
Sure.
>Rolls up an oathbreaker paladin with action surge, smites everybody for ridiculous damage and then leaves
>>
File: terrible.png (24KB, 724x130px) Image search: [Google]
terrible.png
24KB, 724x130px
>>53578677
I can
have higher standards goys
>>
>>53575822
Do you want all the Wizardfags to screech unceasingly at you? Because that's what happens if you introduce any class that puts its foot anywhere near Wizards' toes.
>>
>>53578700
You forgot your
>"Pshh, nothing personal girls."
>>
>>53578685
If by play D&D you mean "sit under the table and worship your feet while you play" then yes.
>>
>>53576311
Agreed. Acerererarak is a piece of shit, Dendar's okay. All the Primordial stuff from 4E was more interesting than the previous lore of FR or D&D in general, and not all of it was even made up entirely for 4E; Dendar had roots before then
>>
What's with the star on their faces?
>>
>>53578709
lol what a dumb bitch. What else would you expect from someone with blue hair?
>>
>>53578755
It's a wig, bro.
>>
>>53578744
The characters are at a funfair and got their faces painted in-game, and they had a makeup person come on and do it for real too.
>>
>>53578685
>elf
>some kind of non-brown Pocahontas, also probably an elf
Did any of them play a Half-Orc or Dwarf?
>>
>>53578764
you're a wig faggot
>>
>>53578539
I'd like to have sex with her, if you know what I mean

>>53578723
>personnel
>>
>>53578755
That quote is entirely in character for a Druid, faggot. She's just roleplaying.
>>
>>53578774
best comment
>>
>>53578709
>Actually thinking like that
I sometimes get the feeling that all women have a genetic autism, that makes them think they are somehow worth shit shit by default, because of their gender.

As literally anybody with just a year or two of experience with their shit, that's not how it works, and the primary reason anybody doesn't give a shit about anything other than your body, is because there is literally nothing of value aside from it.

So hey, just like men. How about that. We actually have minimum.standards for both genders.

Wonder when the average woman will realize that. Probably never.
>>
How has the stream been so far?
>>
>>53578785
>genetic autism
I think you should sell your body to science so they can confirm this. You weren't doing anything with it anyway.
>>
File: hlz.jpg (37KB, 327x532px) Image search: [Google]
hlz.jpg
37KB, 327x532px
How flavourful are melee combat descriptions in your games? Do players care a lot about them or just stick to rolling dice?
>>
>>53578755
>>53578785
agreed bois
also checkem on the first post
>>
>>53578796
Kinda cringy. Perkins group was fine, i guess, but this C Team looks boring.
>>
>>53578785
r9k, please go
>>
>>53578785
>I sometimes get the feeling that all women have a genetic autism, that makes them think they are somehow worth shit shit by default, because of their gender.
Nice generalization. I think I'm going to get the feeling that all men have their heads up their asses, because you do.
>>
Does Rise of Tiamat even have any dragons in it that you fight (that aren't tiamat)
>>
Undeath in D&D generally isn't contagious, and in one of the cases where it is, it's not so much necromantic undeath as it is Negative Energy anti-life.

So why would undead be a problem in Chult? Okay, there's a bunch of zombies everywhere now.
In the jungle.
Where all the animals are super hungry and cunning.
Some dumbass zombie stumbling through the undergrowth is just going to trip and fall and impale itself on a broken tree branch, get tangled up in vines, or eaten by 30 different varieties of beasts and monsters before it's even that rotting.
>>
>>53578837
all men are really angry all the time and secretly gay, like me
>>
>>53578685
If by "play d&d" you mean have you wear elf ears and we pretend to birth a powergaming half-elf child?
>>
>>53578785
>that makes them think they are somehow worth shit shit by default, because of their gender.
>think
but its true because men put them on a pedestal
>>
>>53578855
double checked
I guess we're all secretly gay bois
>>
>>53578855
>all men are really angry all the time and secretly gay
Doesn't the popularity of football prove this?
>>
GREAT, fucking thread got derailed
>>
>>53578850
>So why would undead be a problem in Chult?
A large concentration of undead raises the negative energy in the area, leading to more undead rising naturally.
Thats a pretty common plotpoint in D&D adventures.
>>
>>53578880
>thread is past 300 posts
What a surprise
This is why we make threads before it hits page 5. Nothing good comes from staying here longer.
>>
>>53578880
girls are always dividing us man
>>
>>53578878
my always hypermasculine and very chivalrous dnd characters would prove it better
>>
>>53578850
Undead are the leftover husks of creatures with an evil spirit put in them by some wizard who then proceeds to use said puppets.

So, while wandering stray undead from wizards not keeping control or undead isn't a problem, undead rallying together under a wizard controlling them and guiding their path is.
>>
Human vengeance paladin with the criminal background. Got tired of constantly being cheated by other criminals, decided to go full Punisher and use his connections to hunt down the big mafia bosses and heads of crime syndicates.
What are the most in-line spells to take up to 3rd level spellcaster?
>>
>>53578881
But jungles are suffused with positive energy because there's so much life everywhere. They're forests on crack. Jungles are naturally resistant to this shit on a metaphysical level.

More practically, all the undead are going to be skeletons because everything rots in the humidity and heat or its broken down by all the fungi everywhere or the flesh is eaten. And the skeletons are STILL going to get fucking eaten because there's dinosaurs that want to suck their marrow out.

I think a jungle is the worst fucking place I could possibly start my undead army. There doesn't need to be a roving band of adventuring heroes to stop my shit, since nature is going to take care of that anyway.
>>
>>53578895
We used to be fine going past 300, but recently it's got worst. I'm guessing the fact that school is starting to get out may be the cause, but I though /b/ was usually the main victim of that
>>
>>53578880
Honestly it's really easy to do
>>
File: 1470950205250.png (628KB, 760x715px) Image search: [Google]
1470950205250.png
628KB, 760x715px
>>53575951
>roll for backgrounds
>ignore them in game
LOCK ME UP, AND THROW AWAY THE KEY!
>>
>>53578881
>>53578905
Look at all these necromancy graduates here.
>>
>>53578925
>But jungles are suffused with positive energy because there's so much life everywhere.
Thats not how positive energy works.
Why? I dunno, ask the people who write adventures.

>More practically, all the undead are going to be skeletons because everything rots in the humidity and heat or its broken down by all the fungi everywhere or the flesh is eaten. And the skeletons are STILL going to get fucking eaten because there's dinosaurs that want to suck their marrow out.
More realistically the dinosaurs are going to stay away from them because they are rotting and thus for many of them inedible and poisonous, and for the rest too dangerous to be worth hunting for the minimal amount of food they provide.
>>
>>53578946
kek
>>
>>53578611
GET THE FUCK OUT!
>>
>>53578905
A lich gives an order like "go to this town, my zombies, and eat everyone". The zombies then straightline it there. Acerarak or whoever isn't micromanaging the units, he's double-clicking to Select All Zombies and giving them an attack-move order to the nearest town while he fucks off to take a bubble bath or read more spellbooks.

Meanwhile, fucking dinosaurs are eating them every step of the way. There's gonna be like half of a zombie crawling into town, and the consummate hardasses who live IN THE JUNGLE are just going to stab it to death because they're not a bunch of pansy-ass dirt farmers from whitebread Faerun.
>>
>>53578971
Unless they're all "ooga-booga dark magic so scary"
>>
>>53578971
>Meanwhile, fucking dinosaurs are eating them every step of the way.
But the dinosaurs ARE the zombies.

What, you think someone who has fucking DINOSAURS available will just animate the scant few humanoids in the area?
>>
>>53578880
Doesn't count as derail on page 8
>>
>>53577508
I am.
>>
My party took Ironslag in SKT, and the drow escaped with Maegera.
An iron flask ends up in a zhentarim auction, said to hold the strongest fire elemental.

Does /5eg/ have suggestions for bullshit I can spring on my party?
>>
>>53578960
That's exactly how positive energy works. The Feywild is blowing up with crazy trees everywhere specifically because it's closer to the Positive Plane. It's the stuff of life; in Positive-heavy areas, plants grow lusher and thicker and faster.

Positive Energy doesn't pool like Negative Energy; it wants to spread out. But it's still being generated or pulled in from the home plane by the concentration of like energy there. So the existence of a lush forest or jungle draws in more Positive energy that then tries to flow out.
>>
What about the Ring Of Winter? How does it fit in all this?
>>
>>53579007
Make it a water elemental
That'll really surprise em!
>>
>>53578971
If the wizards are stupid and lazy, it's their fault. Zombies get into all sorts of mess if you don't support them, and if these guys can't even do 'commanding a zombie army 101' then they deserve to fail.

In many other places in D&D there's all sorts of things that could fuck a load of zombies up.

The best explanation if they don't have a master leading them and somehow survive is either 'The animals don't want to eat these things, especially considering there's a whole fucking horde of them and attacking one will get retaliation' or they enchanted them with something pass-without-tracey or equipped the zombies with repellent or something.
>>
>>53579015
>That's exactly how positive energy works.
According to your ass, but not the setting.
>>
>>53578994
This right here. Why would I animate a human zombie, when i can animate a T-rex zombie?
>>
>>53578994
Dinozombies face the same problem. Dinosaurs are fucking smart, but zombies are dumb. Dinozombies are going to trip through the jungle just like humanoid zombies would, and all the other non-zombie dinos are going to eat the shit out of them because dinos eat dinos to begin with.
>>
>>53578982
>>53578982
Get in here and talk about settings
>>
>>53579015
Isn't the Feywild close to the prime material plane?
>>
>>53579022
>>53579042
you guys know that most animals don't fuck with rotting flesh, right?
>>
>>53579042
>and all the other non-zombie dinos are going to eat the shit out of them
No, because the big ones are not scavengers and don't eat rotting meat, tthus they stay away from the big dangerous thing that doesn't offer food.

And the smaller scavengers also stay away, because again, too dangerous to be worth hunting.
>>
>>53578709
Shit like this is why I'm afraid of people finding out I'm gay, because then they'll associate me with this bullshit. People like this do more harm than help with their virtue signalling and passive-aggressive hostility to anyone who isn't a special goddamn snowflake.
>>
>>53578925
>Raises Undead in the jungle
>"It Ain't Me" starts playing
>>
>>53579115
nigga u gay?
Seriously tho, agreed
We can only hope that kind of shit dies down by 2018
>>
>>53579178
Dude, it's 2017. If you're NOT gay you're doing something wrong.
>>
>>53575413
Redundant armor proficiency? Needing less ASI just means you can take more feats.
>>
>>53576730
so, it's a matter of taste.
I like a lot of your ideas, specially the commoners becoming heroes thing, and I've always found the low level game way more thrilling and interesting. but that's us. not everyone likes the lack of options or feel stagnated if they don't level up a lot.

you could try to sell the idea to your players, but don't actually imposing it
>>
So if we have two casters in the party and the first casts Grease, can the second Firebolt it to set the area on fire or will that be up to the DM?
>>
I tried to watch the stream but the chat was exclusively people sucking matt mercer's dick and just saying "trump" over and over for some reason.
Then the guy from penny arcade came on and I had to turn it off.
>>
>>53578835
>r9k
What?
>ROBOT9001
That didn't fucking help.

The fuck is r9k?
>>
>>53578860
>but its true because men put them on a pedestal
Hence all the
>I'll fuck bitches all day, stupid hoes
memes everywhere.
>>
>>53580603
The board for people who are too much of a reject to even be accepted on normal 4chan boards.
>>
>>53580657
So like /tg/?
>>
>>53580882
But even worse, somehow. The people too vile for even here.
Thread posts: 440
Thread images: 49

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.