[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How would you go about worldbuilding an adventure set in the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: VaultBoyFO3.png (393KB, 1116x1143px) Image search: [Google]
VaultBoyFO3.png
393KB, 1116x1143px
How would you go about worldbuilding an adventure set in the Fallout world?

I would try to connect parts of the overworld of Fallout games and make one of the games protagonists be the pen and paper antagonist.

System would probably be the fallout 1/2 game system or an adaptation of that game system

Thoughts?
>>
Also fallout thread i guess
>>
>>53570234
>I would try to connect parts of the overworld of Fallout games and make one of the games protagonists be the pen and paper antagonist.
So the Players are Mutants, Raiders or Ghouls?

Actually, I would just let it play in some different place than the games, or a other time. So you can have your BoS, Enclave, Human Cities, Mutants etc. and make them how you want so you can fit the players well in. If you want my tip, make it either in a bigger Town with figthing factions, new york or seattle perhaps, or in florida. Everybody likes giant mutated crocodiles.
>>
I'd probably try to explore some space that the games haven't touched already, maybe someplace mentioned in the lore that we never actually got to see or that needs fleshed out.
>>
>>53570234
I think it makes sense to follow the usual structure of fallout storylines. That is, having the PCs start out in unfamiliar territory with nothing but very basic equipment and a big important quest that has a long undefined timeline. Much of their quest involves meandering through the wasteland searching for information so they have lots of choice regarding where they go and how they go about doing things. Basically it's like a hexcrawl.

I'd try to emphasize contacts as a way to acquire resources (beyond the scraps in the general store and lucking out on random merchant inventories), get crucial information for their next moves, and make quest progress, so the PCs have good reasons to try making friends or working with groups. Solving people's wacky problems (i.e. quests) is a much faster way to make close friends than schmoozing, so it's an attractive way to build out a network of contacts. Without contacts they might try to punisher their way through the world but they'll quickly find themselves wandering blindly and scratching their heads at how to get high-end specialized equipment to survive the most dangerous elements of the wastes.

I'd make it abundantly clear that while I'm running a zany weird west setting inspired by the games, this isn't the canon fallout universe, so most of their metaknowledge is unlikely to be helpful.
>>
If you want to have your Fallout game set in an established place and pepper it with all the references to your favourite game, some stuff you could consider:

>Alternate Universe where your players form a fifth, competing New Reno family, or perhaps the players themselves become kingmakers in the Mordino-Bishop-Wright-Salvatore four-way conflict
>a campaign with Den slavery in its centerpiece, with trips to Redding, deals with Vault City, or maybe just being a good old NCR Ranger and trying to get rid of all the tattooed bastards
>How California Was Won - President Tandi is in her best years, contact with Vault City, New Reno and Redding is only being established, your players are finding new opportunities
>play a group of outcasts from the wasteland, akin to the Broken Hills settlers
>Lenny's story in Fallout 2 - he saw Vault Dweller in Necropolis but was too cowardly to ask him to show up, so he settled in and became a doctor and gets inspired again by Chosen One; let the players have a similar effect on some of the NPCs they already know and love
>players own their own caravan company - like Rogue Trader, but with more deathclaws and trying to get Crimson Caravan out of business
>players are Yet Another Fringe Faction Of BoS Paladins that have their own quirk and their own philosophy. If you notice, BoS in every Fallout iteration is different - in that light, it might be easier to accept even Fallout 3's "literal paladins with guns" version.
>some new place altogether - Fallout Tactics might not be (too) canon, but it did a handsome job in exploring a tiny corner of the world.
>>
>>53572597
This is the way to do it, I think.

I ran a fallout game set in the greater Vancouver area, the players having to resolve tribal disputes and unite the groups there in order to fight off the looming threat: the NCR.

It worked out pretty well
>>
>>53570234
We've been using the LGD fallout homebrew http://www.leovauntgamedesign.com/fallout-rpg
-- we're set up about 50 miles from where all of us live, so the GM had a starting point on what features are around, then its just an issue of looking at locap map features and saying "that looks cool, ill fallout it" or "nah, that got blown up"
>>
>>53573286
More from me. I'm a guy who mostly runs one-shots, so here are some ideas I just randomly had.
>Fallout as a dungeon crawler
Pick a good system with decent crunch on guns and gun tactics and get a mat. The players are BoS paladins / New Reno gangsters / simple scavengers / NCR rangers / whatever the hell you want, and each session is about exploring underground labs and vaults. Just look at Sierra Army Depot, The Glow and other such things for inspiration. Bonus - get yourself a noise source to mimic a Geiger Counter and pump it up at times to signify raised radiation, just to play it up with tension.
>Fallout in politics
John Bishop in Fallout 2 plots to get his ass into the chairs of both NCR and VC and manipulate the republics for his own benefit. Orchestrate something similar for your players.

Also remember that a whole load of the map in Fallout 1 and 2 is "empty". Nothing prevents you from just adding in some OC locations that the PC of either Fallout never visited because they weren't particularly remarkable or because they didn't exist in his time. When president Kimball is mismanaging the war with Caesar's Legion, you don't really know what's been going on in "mainland" NCR - whether The Den slavery is still alive and kicking and how does the current head of the Bishops handle the family business. In the same vein, you can make a game around Vegas that pits you as one of House's first, non-Courier peons, or as the people who made the First Battle of Hoover Dam a success for the NCR, or as an outlier of the fledgling BoS faction in the region, or whatever the fuck you want.

Sorry that this post is super chaotic.
>>
Fucking why? The best way to make a Fallout pnp campaign is set it on your own city, with its distinct landmarks. This gives the players an uncanny familiarity that helps with the bleak atmosphere.

And each players home have a nice easter egg and reward.
Hard mode: don't tell the players the location, let them discover through association of places
>>
File: tactics.jpg (196KB, 1280x670px) Image search: [Google]
tactics.jpg
196KB, 1280x670px
>>53573286
>tiny corner of the world.
Its funny because the Tactics map covered the most amount of land to date.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.