[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Kentucky

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 288
Thread images: 37

File: ky-largemap.png (75KB, 756x550px) Image search: [Google]
ky-largemap.png
75KB, 756x550px
What kind of campaigns could you set in the fantasy equivalent of Kentucky?
>>
>>53557163
Civil War simulation?
>>
File: 1485885275560.jpg (72KB, 610x586px) Image search: [Google]
1485885275560.jpg
72KB, 610x586px
>>53557163
>>53557176
>incest simulation?
>>
Dueling Banjos intensifies

Seriously though, Kentucky has plenty of wilderness
>>
>>53557163
Bourbon distillery management? Fried chicken cook offs? Ale-8 themed something?
>>
>>53557163
As a foreigner, the only thing I know about this state is fried chicken.
>>
>>53557163
Escape From Kentucky.

Seriously Kentusy, Alabama, Arkansas, Mississippi and Oklahoma are basically useless places.
>>
True Detective + Call of Cthulu type shit
>>
>>53557287
As an American, all I know about Kentucky is the chicken
>>
>>53557325
As someone who's lived in KY all there is about Kentucky is the chicken and cousinfucking.
>>
>>53557163
Stealing Gold from the Empire.
>>
>>53557339
I've only been to Kentucky once and I know there's more to it. There's also treating horses better than most people and bourbon.
>>
>>53557339
Gross.

Like it's not that common right?
>>
>>53557339
As a Kentucky Colonel for reasons I don't quite understand you also have horseraces and bourbon.
>>
>>53557163
Kentucky Derby + Mad Max
>>
>>53557364
It's not THAT common but it's one of two states I've heard someone refer to their "uncle-dad" unironically.
>>
>>53557364
As someone who lives in ky, I have heard nothing about incest in years
>>
File: image.jpg (60KB, 407x450px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
60KB, 407x450px
Something-something Ale-8.

Seriously. They have this shit everywhere there.
>>
>>53557163

Fighting inbred fascists who worship neo-Hitler as an avatar of their zombie god.
>>
>>53557412
That's West Virginia.
>>
>>53557364
I live in central, urban Kentucky and I've never really seen/heard of any incest, but pedophilia- there is a lot of that. It's all hidden by the cousinfucking stereotype.
>>
File: 1483113598080.jpg (27KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
1483113598080.jpg
27KB, 720x720px
>>53557293

Based gun laws, tons of wilderness, great food, affordable land, and interesting local lore say otherwise. Plus it's cheaper to build a factory there than it is in New England.
>>
File: hah sure.jpg (83KB, 369x389px) Image search: [Google]
hah sure.jpg
83KB, 369x389px
>>53557392
YEARS, I TELLS YOU!

Like, no incest in at LEAST 3 years. Possibly 4~!
>>
Yeah this is pretty much a blank spot in my State Lore beyond "INCEST AND BOURBON" but they create the Water of Life. ...and white lightning, the Water of Death.
>>
It's a great place for dealing with the wildlands or the evil next door stuff.

If someone told me there was a werewolf here I'd be like "oh yeah, that tracks."
>>
>>53557293
>Oklahoma

God, remember how that state only exists because we threw the Native Americans on it, and we only threw the Native Americans on it because there's nothing there? But then we found a LITTLE BIT of something there, and incorporated it?
>>
File: tld.jpg (123KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
tld.jpg
123KB, 1920x1080px
>>
>>53558061
>>
File: maxresdefault-2.jpg (160KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault-2.jpg
160KB, 1920x1080px
>>53558072
>>
>>53558061
>>53558072
>>53558085
Wonderful game. Did they ever finish all the "chapters"? I only finished...3, I think.
>>
>>53558141

I started playing the 4th act but I stopped as I felt like I should just wait and replay the entire thing with act5 comes out. It's a fantastic game, the first three acts were amazing.
>>
File: 1452700069431.jpg (374KB, 1600x819px) Image search: [Google]
1452700069431.jpg
374KB, 1600x819px
>>53557163
Sooooooooooo.......Scotland without the Ocean and more trees?

And more rivers?
>>
>>53557163
Feuding clans, bootleggers, rumrunners, grizzled miners, and overbearing and corrupt lawmen from the same stock, all living in a hard land that provides little opportunity without a fight. Plus magic, i guess.
>>
File: 1496342423499-1614310379.jpg (4MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
1496342423499-1614310379.jpg
4MB, 3264x1836px
>>53557163
We have lots of green. Thought of doing a cthulu games based in a small mountain town, more Wiccan than sea god worshipping.
Pic is my back yard.
>>
>>53557431
Honestly one of the more universal perversions, all sorts of people from rockstars to rednecks will indulge in that.
>>
File: DCC83-462x600.png (682KB, 462x600px) Image search: [Google]
DCC83-462x600.png
682KB, 462x600px
Dungeon Crawl Classics has a mini-campaign setting module called The Chained Coffin which is based in a fantasy version of Appalachia and incorporates a lot of folklore from the region into encounters.

Includes such things as:

- A polite stranger named Ol' Blackcloak seen at crossroads and inviting adventurers to sit at his creepy blue campfire and gets mad if they refuse his hospitality or act rude in any way, may strike up deals for their soul

- A family of inbred hill giants living in a cabin surrounded by trees full of various animal and humanoid skulls danging from ropes

- A ghost in an old cabin that is haunted by other ghosts he wants you to help get rid of

- Magic fiddles
>>
File: 5f0c3e22.jpg (11KB, 261x191px) Image search: [Google]
5f0c3e22.jpg
11KB, 261x191px
Oh look, it's yet another "Americans need to compensate for lack of culture" thread!
>>
Alchemist quest: Secret of the Eleven Herbs and Spices
>>
>>53558633
Hi, I'm from Kentucky. The white people that first came here were adventurers and outdoorsmens.
I can start a fire with my shoelace and sticks. I have tracked deer, bear and all sorts of small game. I sit in the woods and take a deep breath, look around and see my god and goddesses.
Please me what awesome self reliance and natural awareness your culture gave you?
>>
>>53557163
This is what you want.
Appalachia vs witches that steal power from the devil.
>>
>>53557163
You realise that to give a fuck about fantasy or real Kentucky, you need to be burger first... right?

It's literally like I've asked you "What kind of campaigns could you set in the fantasy equivalent of Haute-Loire?". About the beast of Gévaudan, of course Does it ring you any bells aside "some place somewhere in France? Assuming you realised in the first place it's in France. Which I doubt, since non-French by default rarely know anything about Fench departments. And I don't blame them, since how the hell they are supposed to know anything about division of another country, not to mention details about specific place there?
All I know about Kentucky is that it's in States, it has lots of coal and is in Appalachians. And that Kentucky Fried Chicken started there. That's all. Based on that, all I can think of is Germinal-esque story about coal miners. Which probably would have as little to do with Kentucky as possible.
>>
File: hillbillyComic.jpg (74KB, 600x900px) Image search: [Google]
hillbillyComic.jpg
74KB, 600x900px
>>53558802
forgot pic
>>
>>53558633
You know, going around spouting that meme tends to indicate that you have no culture besides contrarianism. It's "cool" to insult the USA, so you do. Why not build yourself up instead of kicking others down?
>>
>>53558810
You've got a point there, pal.
>>
>>53558861

I swear to god every board needs flags.
>>
I recently created a session based on larger Appalaicha and the midwest. It's primarily an enormous forest, several hundred miles in breadth, with a bunch of weird shit in it. Cryptids, mountain men, wood witches, and weird little towns abound. There's lots of coal mines and caves, and an enormous basin similar to the Cumberland Gap where a lot of logging takes place. A lot of the culture is borrowed from classic American myth, so there's legendary figures like Paul Bunyan and Johnny Appleseed, as well as fiends to beware of like Old Scratch.

The forest rearranges itself at night. Don't get caught in it when it does.
>>
So what we've got to work with are creepy forest spirits and also maybe a devil or two tempting people into wickedness. In the boonies, people ardy done been tempted, and strange rites as well as hard liquor abound. Nature is taking back, little by little, what man carves out, but the folk here are hard and not prone to give up an inch easily. What else can we do here?
>>
>>53558914
What would that do for them?
>>
>>53557163
How fantasy? There's a lot of really kickass Appalachian and Native American folk concepts you could work into a concept like that. Snake handling cults. Crazy, shape-shifting shamans that stalk you through the night. A society of Sasquatches living deep in the woods. The potential is definitely there, it just depends on how much or little tech to wanna throw in.
>>
>>53559269
anything is fine. I just like hearing ideas and discussion
>>
>>53558810
To be fair an american state is much larger than a smaller part in the country of france (which is itself about as big as an american state).

I still agree that probably only americans would care but those states are still big enough that they probably have their own distinct enough cultures that other people like me, an european, could find interesting.
>>
File: Melungeon Witches.png (2MB, 580x1684px) Image search: [Google]
Melungeon Witches.png
2MB, 580x1684px
>>53558802
>>53558819
yeah Witches are good for this sort of thing
>>
>>53558633
>he posts in American on an American imageboard dedicated to American culture using American technology based on American science
>>
>>53559562
>dedicated to American culture
It was created for japanese culture and even now there is no board that is soley dedicated to american culture.
>>
>>53559603
Japan is basically a client state of America; it's certainly more American than it is close to any rainy little yuropoor country from where these buttblasted little anons emerge.
>>
>>53559294
Check out some websites on Appalachian and Native American folklore. Those will give you a lot of stuff to work with for supernatural stuff. There's also a couple good documentaries on the snake-handling churches that still exist to this day out there, too. Beyond that, what others have said: Witches. Mountain men. Small towns(with or without dark secrets). Crazy hillbillies. People like to shit on America having no culture, but there's a ton of cool shit you can snap up for a campaign just sitting out there.
>>
Mercenaries are called into Kentucky to deal with some rogue cryptids. While hunting crytids they discover a conspiracy that threatens the USA and potentially the world.
>>
>>53559034
Redneck fae
>>
File: Kentucky.png (66KB, 1150x681px) Image search: [Google]
Kentucky.png
66KB, 1150x681px
>>53557163

>I've lived in 9 states and 3 countries, visited 47 continental states and every continent but Antarctica, currently live in Northern Kentucky, and have traveled over most of the state for film projects. Kentucky is both better-off and worse-off than you think.

In the quasi-civilized parts of Kentucky (Lexington, Louisville, northern Kentucky just across the OH river from Cincinnati), you can run basically any sort of modern or near-modern game you care to name. Those places aren't any worse than any other non-coastal city in the country, and aside from the lack of heath care, different accents, and slightly fatter people, they aren't any worse than any given mid-sized city in the UK either. Sure, a modern metro coastal city (San Jose, NY, Miami) is much nicer and has a higher standard of living, but it's perfectly possible to enjoy a modern 1st world lifestyle here with tons of amenities at a reasonable cost.

>directs attention to pic related, dividing KY into very rough "zones"

It's once you get into the country (red and gray zones), and very specifically once you get into the hill country in eastern Kentucky that things start getting really bad/wierd/creepy. The inbred hill people that everyone jokes about really, really, do exist. The gray zones can be equivalent in lifestyle conditions and violence level to certain favelas, or to the areas of Somalia *outside* Mogadishu (adjusting for environment, obviously). There are areas where there's been no jobs available for a decade and the entire "economy" runs on barter, and there's areas where the entire town actually is related to each other and the "incest" thing happens because there's no new blood, hasn't been any for 50 years, and nobody wants to/has the money to leave. These are usually but not always found near coal mines.

To be totally frank, at the level people are living in the gray zones specifically, your best RPG options are either survival horror or post-apocalyptic genres.
>>
>>53557163
-4 Int.
>>
>>53557434

It's cheaper because of a lack of infrastructure in place that has to be paid in utilities.
>>
>>53560273
I can not believe that parts of a country like America can be that bad but I don't know enough about the USA to actually refute it.

Can someone tell me if this is bullshit? Because STALKER tier conditions in the middle of a first world country sound like something that can't possible exist.
>>
>>53557391
The other one was West Virginia, I take it?
>>
>>53557364
Not as common as in Iraq and Pakistan.

From what I'm told it's mostly just meth heads in the mountains these days.
>>
>>53560580

Keep in mind most of those grey areas are hardcore mountain. Shouldnt be anything there anyway
>>
>>53560580
The USA is a massive country. Money and power aren't spread evenly, and there are parts of the country that are so far out of the way that outsiders rarely visit. These places tend to be poor and stuck in their ways; combine that with the trackless wilderness that surround them, and you can get some weird shit.
>>
>>53560273

So would making them zombies in the setting be a detriment or improvement to their current way of life?
>>
>>53560580
You have to keep in mind the massive scale of the country and how the population is spread out.
>>
>>53560580
Louisville resident here.

Parts of that map are true, but some of it is exaggerated. There should be a few more pockets of yellow-green South south of Louisville for example. College towns like Elizabethtown are red on the map, but are perfectly fine places to live. The whole western red/gray area is mountain country and has a lot of stereotypes also associated with West Virgina (hillbilly cousin-fuckers).
>>
File: what.jpg (47KB, 248x336px) Image search: [Google]
what.jpg
47KB, 248x336px
>>53557367
>reasons I don't quite understand
>>
>>53560580
Naw it's pretty true. Only slight exaggeration.
>>
>>53557243
No, that's West Virginia.
>>
>>53560580
We're a very strange country. If we can't tell you what's in a place, it's fair game to assume that there's injuns in those hills.
>>
File: download.jpg (5KB, 85x148px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
5KB, 85x148px
>>53557163
Similar to a midevil New Jersey campaign
>>
>>53561098
A campaign for ants?
>>
A campaign in Mammoth Cave wouldn't be half bad.
>>
File: funny-new-jersey-area-map (1).jpg (332KB, 1400x2424px) Image search: [Google]
funny-new-jersey-area-map (1).jpg
332KB, 1400x2424px
>>53561098
>>
>>53557364
I'd argue its not even there for the most part. Cousin fucking is a stereotype like welsh or new zealanders fucking sheep. They probably don't actually do it but its a really effective way to make a native really mad.
>>
>>53561135
>worse than detroit
Yeah that's Camden alright.
>>
>>53557364
No, there aren't actually that many chickens.
>>
>>53560580
Thats because that map is stupid bullshit. They won't kill you for daring to bring the wonders of the internal combustion engine to their small inbred minds. That map was probably made by a bitter californian city fag who only goes to kentucky to stay in their lakeside summer home.
>>
>>53560273
actually all the people in the gray zones are probably old geezers because all the young people moved to Louisville for work. You have the same thing in West Virginia.
>>
>>53560945
t. never lever Louisville.
>>
>>53561477
*left
>>
File: notice kentucky.jpg (99KB, 692x529px) Image search: [Google]
notice kentucky.jpg
99KB, 692x529px
>>53560580
Dunno about Kentucky, but as a Georgiafag I'd believe it. Remember that states are kinda-sorta like mini polities. I was studying to become a social worker for awhile, and in georgia something like 90% of federal money for social programs is focused on the capital city, Atlanta, and the immediately surrounding area. Since the state legislature /hates/ programs that use money to try and help poor people the rest of the state tends to get jack shit besides food stamps. Combine this with literally all the young people leaving for places with actual opportunity, and shit can get weird.

The US is a lot like China in that everyone is magnetically attracted to the cities, but we have a LOT of land where the only residents are poor farmers. The US has never had huge government programs to forcibly resettle large groups of people on farmland though. We tend to just ignore it.
>>
File: image.jpg (28KB, 272x185px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
28KB, 272x185px
European and Buddhist monks innawoods.
>>
>>53561623
>Learning to DEUS VULT with your bare hands innawoods
Sounds comfy
>>
File: miners-1240x654.jpg (238KB, 1240x654px) Image search: [Google]
miners-1240x654.jpg
238KB, 1240x654px
If you're looking for a hillbilly type thing, consider the towns that were pretty much entirely built around the coal industry. Hazard county, etc.

Western Kentucky is not that different from northeastern Tennessee and southwest Virginia. It's a backwoods place largely, though there are some decent sized towns. Still, even those places retain more than a touch of that old school, unique mountain people flare.

It's not a dangerous fucking horror movie scene though like a lot of these idiots are claiming. Typically, backwoods mountain folk are the nicest kind of people that you can meet. Very polite, very willing to go out of their way to help you.

The coal industry has done a number on us though.

Here, this'll help you figure it out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYqc052xv9g

A campaign centered around simple people being exploited by magnates would be interesting. Decimation of natural resources, displacing people, killing a good number of its young men, suppressing the rights of workers, etc.
>>
>>53561607
South Carolina fag here I live in the upstate and the red in the middle towards the cost is pretty damn accurate. We call it the corridor of shame also our roads suck because the state refuses to give us any money for them so yeah
>>
>>53561722
It's funny cause they're the least DEUS VULT/Kung fu fightan monks imaginable.
>>
>>53561771
Towards the coast
>>
>>53560580
Kentucky is one of the poorest places in the developed world. It's basically what you get when the entire state revolves around the coal industry, and then that industry packs up and leaves. The state and county governments there are stuck in the past and still exist solely to please what few aspects of the coal industry remain, so the people are largely left to fend for themselves. The federal government has sometimes attempted to bring in electricity, running water, and basic medical care to the mountainous parts of the state, but that usually gets cut after a little while and what little infrastructure is there rots, rusts, or just collapses.

It is basically a third world country nestled inside a first world country.
>>
>>53557163
A campaign to get the fuck out of kentucky.
>>
>>53561411
> californian
> goes to kentucky to stay in their lakeside summer home
Californians don't go to Kentucky unless they have to. If you want some place to go for the summer, there are a ton of states that are better than Kentucky.
>>
>>53560945
I've spent time in Louisville, and it just...

Why does nobody go to the dentist? Are there no goddamn dentists in the state? Fuck, even dentures would be fine. But get those goddamn gaps in your mouth filled people, it's disgusting.
>>
>>53560950
It was a gift.
>>
Born Kentuckian here

Kentucky's got everything you need for a high-intensity, fun campaign of discovery. The state has a massive amount of ecosystems- mountainous highlands, murky swamplands, rolling prairies and dense, lush forests, all interspersed by quite literally hundreds of rivers. Fishing, lumber and coal are all abundant industries that supply the state with resources to support large city-states or kingdoms. Good bourbon and gambling are quintessential parts of the upper-crust lifestyle, with a large horse-racing industry and massive riverboats that host tempting casinos and the wildest parties north of the Gulf. Outside of the elite, most people are normal until you get to the eastern half of the state, which has been drug into poverty by the loss of coal and tobacco, leaving thousands living off whatever they can get ahold of. They're good people for the most part, but if you're in their situation and don't know what you're doing you will not survive the winter.
>>
>>53561917
It can't be that bad out in the sticks. I don't believe it. They gotta at least have electricity and running water. You make it sound like they're perpetually stuck in 1830.
t. Los Angeles
>>
>>53562393
No, it really is that bad. If you're poor, you get electricity and running water as the result of government infrastructure. If you're poor in rural Kentucky, there isn't much government infrastructure that reaches you, and what little there is is so poorly maintained that it fails more often than it functions. You aren't stuck in the 1830s, you do see some modern technology. But you're pretty much on your own. The counties don't have any money, the state doesn't want to help, and the federal government only helps in brief bursts that are then cut soon afterward.
>>
>>53562393

It absolutely is that bad. I grew up on the fringes of that area without internet access, reliable electricity, and for a 6 month period no running water. My mom had a lottery win for a couple million and used it all to pay off debt, move out, get a home in the city and educate me. I know exactly how fortunate I am.

t. Lexington

>>53561411

That map is absolutely not bullshit if you're non autistic and capable of understanding some of it was clearly written for humor. You can and do get guns and farm tools pointed at you for driving into some small eastern kentucky towns. Outsiders are bad. I've done the pointing, and I've been on the recieving end.

Anyway, the gist of the map and the rough zones it's divided into are pretty close to accurate. The moral is that the further you get from the cities, military bases, college towns, and highways, the more backward and insular it becomes. It's not a nice place, and the anon characterizing it as a 3rd world country embedded in the middle of a 1st world one is on the right track.
>>
>>53562650
t. I lived in a city most of my life, this makes me an authority on what the sticks are really like.
They totes will hang any black man who sets foot there. You know it because it makes the news all the time.
>>
>>53562650
>It absolutely is that bad. I grew up on the fringes of that area without internet access, reliable electricity, and for a 6 month period no running water. My mom had a lottery win for a couple million and used it all to pay off debt, move out, get a home in the city and educate me. I know exactly how fortunate I am.

A poor person who got a lottery win and used it properly?

WHAT? THOSE EXIST?
>>
>>53562822
I guess you just don't hear about them that often because their stories aren't as interesting as the ones where the winner blows it all on yachts and champaign before being murdered by their family for the inheritance.
>>
>>53562393
It's not stuck in 1830. There's a lot more opioid abuse now then there was in 1830. There are also a lot more guns. Fun fact, a gun owner in the US owns an average of 8 guns.
>>
>>53563034
Surely that's just a bunch of people owning 1 gun and then a handful of insane cult-leaders owning like 1800 guns?
>>
>>53563116
It's mostly gun collectors from what I understand. Though personal experience..

I own one gun, my grandfather owns ... 6 I think, and my uncle owns at least a dozen.

My uncle is a hard-core NRA type republican. My grandfather just had it instilled in him from a young age that you never ever ever sell a gun. They're too useful for that.

I just like my little revolver. I still need to get a CCP. Not that I'd use it for anything but voter ID, but I want one just in case.
>>
>>53562812

Left when I was 15. I'm 23 now.

Fuck off.
>>
File: AmericasFearsomeCreatures.pdf (500KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
AmericasFearsomeCreatures.pdf
500KB, 1x1px
>>53558916
hey pal, check this out. Its 210 north American folklore creatures. Maybe it'll help
>>
>>53563116
3% of the population own 50% of the guns.

55 million people own guns in the US. With that group, there's a segment of about 11 million people who own half of the total guns in the country. So you have a population of 11 million people that own 133 million guns. More than 10 guns per person.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2016/09/22/study-guns-owners-violence/90858752/#
>>
>>53563116
We don't go brandishing them randomly, but between my grandfather, they own enough guns to arm the family twice over. A nice mix of antique but functional hunting rifles, modern rifles and shotties, an AK and a couple of different pistols.

They're bith extremely level headed and kind though.
>>
>>53563340
**Between My uncle and grandfather.
>>
>>53563116
What do you think Americans spend their disposable income on? Guns, that's what. A handgun will typically cost something like $400, a rifle upwards of $800, and then there's a whole slew of aftermarket add-ons and custom parts that could push the cost of even something like an AR-15 well over $2000. And then people want another one. And then another after that.
>>
>>53563385
>$400, a rifle upwards of $800,
I can go out an buy a shotgun for like 200 right now without needing a license or needing to pay any extemporaneous fees. Dont listen to this fag
>>
>>53563317
It isn't like they're preventing the other burgers from buying their own.

If they want to spend no money on self defense, they can. If they want to spend a fortune they can.
>>
>>53563317

Pro tip: most gun owners will intentionally lie to such surveyors or will just not talk to them. There are actual good reasons for that, but largely it's a "if I tell them I have guns they'll grab them". Others are felons and it's illegal for them to own a gun.

I'm from a blue area, in a blue state overall, and most people I've known own at least one gun. It's not unusual for extremely liberal people to have a closet full. I think the researchers are profoundly undercounting both the overall number and the percentage of people who own them.
>>
>>53562812
I live in the middle of nowhere and it's not hard for me to believe him at all. I've known plenty of people who didn't have running water at all, let alone internet access.
>>
>>53563116
8 isn't that many.
>>
>>53563479
It's funny, my grandfather works at the local college. My history prof there was an overwhelmingly liberal woman, the sort who has political cartoons on her office door because she's still salty about Reagan. My grandfather never really liked her, but when he came up with the idea of all the teachers going out to the shooting range she came along.

She had a very impressive grouping with her pistol, I forget exactly how impressive but it was a contender for 'best shot among the faculty' and she put it up on her door next to said anti-Reagan cartoon. After that my grandfather respected her a lot more. They still avoided talking about politics, but yeah.
>>
>>53563813

This.

Say you and your wife are both shooters. One concealed-carry gun for each of you, two "range" guns that are friendlier to shoot than a CCW piece, a shotgun, and a rifle, and you're up to 6 in the household already, and that's only accounting for minimal purchases.

I collect WW2 rifles. A Long Branch SMLE, 1903 Springfield, Arisaka (with a chrysthanemum!), a Dragoon Mosin, Mosin 98/30, Mauser 98K and a Czeck Mauser. I need to get a Garand, but they're stupid expensive, even through CMP. Hell, that's 7 guns right there, and I barely even shoot them; they're just collection pieces. For practical guns, I've got a G19, H&K USP40, M&P40C, a Star Model B, a GI 1911 from Rock River, a henry 22lr lever action for funsies and to teach my kid when he's old enough, and a couple of AR-15s that I all shoot regularly. And I'm not even into shotguns or revolvers.

Guns add up surprisingly quick. They're like golf clubs; each one has a purpose, and you find yourself running into "purpose holes" in your collection fairly quickly if you shoot much.
>>
>>53563268

Thanks for the resource! I've seen a few things scattered like that but never something so concise and clean.
>>
>>53563395
What based state do you live in?
>>
Just do a union confrontation with mining company over extremely valuable coal mines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNVVPzjQzI0
>>
>>53557163
Players have to escape that hell whole to get to the slighty less hellish Ohio.
>>
>>53563479
So that means there are a lot more guns than the numbers might show. So those 11 million people probably own significantly more than 10 guns each.
>>
>>53558237
...you're actually not that far from the truth.

There is a reason Appalachia was overwhelmingly settled by the Scottish and Irish (and became the hybrid Scots-Irish), and there's a reason they have very similar social norms and cultural values at their societal roots.
>>
>>53558633
>lack of culture

Nigga I bet you think there's only an "American" accent, and you think you can do a pretty good one too.

Oh, better yet, I bet you think you "know a good bit" about Americans, and you know that there's really more like FOUR accents - Valley Girl, Southern, NE, and Midwestern!

Look, nobody is pretending that America is as culturally diverse as the continent of Europe (anymore - this was not always the case, even according to the European settlers who moved to the US in the early 1800's/early 1900's) but to say "America has no culture" just shows that all you know is what you see on TV - which is a small, small slice of what life in the US is actually like.
>>
>>53559048
It would at least let us know what country the poster is from, so we can appropriately mock them.
>>
>>53557163
Incest Quest and The Dwarfields and the Elfcoys.
>>
>>53557364
As someone who lives in Western Kentucky, I've never heard about any incest.
There's nothing here, but restaurants, factories, turkeys, and a lot of Buddhists.
>>
>>53557163
What system?
>>
>>53562393
Yeah dude, it absolutely can be.

Appalachia is the poorest region of the US barring Reservations, but those are an entirely different clusterfuck because Yankee Carpetbaggery.

After the Civil War, Appalachia and much of the Deep South was plundered by Yankee businessmen and railroad magnates setting up an "extractive economy" in the region (much like Europeans in Africa), who would buy up prime property and resources for extremely low prices, seize all the assets they had, and then funnel most of the profits of the enterprises up north.

They would, when possible, hire black laborers to work for slave wages (because the black people were happy to be getting paid AT ALL), muscling out low-skilled whites (who were the overwhelming majority of the population) staff the management with Northerners or East Coasters trained by the company, and then, when the business was no longer profitable, pack up and leave, taking the best employees with them.

This meant that even when locals could get jobs, they often could not move up in the hierarchy (as it was staffed by "foreign" management) and they had to compete with a demographic that was willing to work for less pay and support the business interests of their Yankee bosses (vote-selling was extremely common among black Southerners and Appalachians, to the point where even black newspapers would decry the practice, and the Republican party flagrantly supported it). In addition to the social shit-storm between white and black, it meant that local economies were built around large-scale, non-ethnic businesses owned by "foreign" interests, that focused on extracting natural wealth. Even when business was booming, locals did not benefit nearly as much as they could have, and whole towns would dry up overnight when businesses bust.

Combine with geography and the desolation of the coal industry (which is the modern cotton and tobacco for the region) and it's almost crippled by its poverty.
>>
>>53557293
This.
Or "addicted to opioids- the game"
>>
>>53564060
You're also not including family heirlooms and pass-downs. I only "own" three guns, but I "have" 17 when you include my fathers guns, his dads guns, and both my maternal grandfathers guns.
>>
>>53560273
> fort Knox area is green.
The fact that shit isn't red makes me call bullshit on everything else you say anon
>>
>>53562393
Oh you bet your fucking ass it is. With the current restrictions on coal, the eastern half of the state has been completely crippled economically, with large amounts of infrastructure never being developed at the same rate as the rest of the state or crumbling in the face of no tax revenue flowing back in to recover expenses, while what's left is further destabilized by meth. I cannot properly convey through text just how much meth has hurt eastern Kentucky.
>>
>>53564452
Ohio
>>
>>53565276
> it's not our fault we poor it waz EVIL NORTHERNERSZZZ
Fuck off and die confederate fag. I suppose it's the mean old Yankees forcing all your inbred cousins to smoke meth and chug oxy?
PS it's pathetic you guys still celebrate a war you fucking lost.
>>
>>53564128
Thank you, it took me a long time to make it. Kept all cryptids out of it, though. Everything is from before 1930
>>
>>53561132
Ooh, this. Surprised no one mentioned it earlier.
>>
>>53565402

From the Battletech threads, nea is a vet, so a military base is probably comfy for him.
>>
CHICKENS STRUT THE LAND. THEY ARE UNMOLESTED. ARE YOU A WHITE ENOUGH DUDE TO FRY THEIR FLESH AND SELL THEIR CARCASSES AT A PROFIT?
>>
>>53565458
Nah northerners screwed the south hard, well the deep South, which isn't all that southern when you remember it doesn't include Texas. Confederate assholes need to get the fuck over the war already though.
>>
>>53565430
> With the current restrictions on coal
The decline of coal in Kentucky is neither recent nor the result of restrictions. A combination of more coal deposits in places like Wyoming and the rise of cheap natural gas has made Kentucky coal less competitive. And coal as a whole has been declining as an energy source in the US for decades now. People like to blame a federal government "war on coal" that started within the last decade, but in reality the decline has been going on for a lot longer and continued unabated even under administrations that were very favorable toward coal.
>>
>>53565052
That last part surprises me
>>
>>53565458
>PS it's pathetic you guys still celebrate a war you fucking lost.

Not even from the South, dude.

You really, really need to read about Reconstruction and how it basically destroyed many parts of Appalachia and the South. It is a topic most schools barely even talk about, because it is an extremely complex subject and often causes a problem with the somewhat erroneously "good guy/bad guy" narrative of the Civil War, and an in-depth analysis of it shows the creation of extractive economies in many regions that caused financial and (worse) brain drain from these regions, further spiraling the region into poverty.

Railroads built during Reconstruction not only bypassed previously prosperous towns, but allowed non-local businesses to compete with local businesses. On the surface this is not a bad thing - and for wealthy cotton and tobacco farmers it was actually a boon - but for the average citizen it meant that suddenly their businesses were competing with other cities and even other states, and those businesses backed by Northern money and got in good with the Northern railroad owners inevitably were more successful than most local alternatives, and as such could produce better products for cheaper than a local could. These innovations came at a time when the economy was basically nonexistent aside from agricultural or mining/logging work, political uncertainty was huge, and social division was rampant between white and black Americans.

Since businesses were predominantly in larger towns, people from the countryside who weren't farmers had to either work for the railroad, work the mines or logging, or move - and they did. Brain Drain killed small towns because the opportunities and the "New Southerner" - who had little in common with the Ante-Bellum Southerner who came before him - wanted to work and live in cities.

Cont.
>>
>>53557434
one of the states literally exists only because we found nothing there and wanted to separate it from state that had something of use
>>
>>53565496
A lot of potential for a Mammoth Cave based campaign. Miles and miles of cave to explore.
>>
>>53565740
> blah blah read the except from my BS paper in history from no name college
South isn't rising again bitch. Get over it
>>
File: 1495913730943.png (497KB, 854x479px) Image search: [Google]
1495913730943.png
497KB, 854x479px
Remember, bigotry is bad but everyone below the Mason Dixie is an inbred hick.

Fucking yankees...
>>
>>53565740
> it basically destroyed many parts of Appalachia and the South
No, the South had already done that itself. By clinging to an aristocratic system that kept all the wealth in the hands of a tiny number of people who owned large plantations. The slavery soaked up all the capital in the South, leaving little for investing in machinery. On top of that, there was little incentive to industrialize in the first place. The poor whites of the south were poor long before Reconstruction. They lived in a society that was de-facto aristocracy, and social mobility in such a society is basically impossible when everything revolves around how big a plantation you have and how many slaves you own.

If anything, Reconstruction was too soft. The North had an opportunity to truly break the planter aristocracy that kept Souther society incredibly stratified, and they passed it up.
>>
>game set in the South
>no mention of RaHoWa

Not sure if surprised or disappointed.
>>
>>53565458
>>53565740

Businesses and railroad companies frequently wrote their corporate interests into local and county law, and would use their money to bend entire communities into feeding their mines, textile mills, foundries, and yards, and use Company resources and local government cronies to muscle out anybody they viewed as competition. Railroads completely dominated life in the region, and the average farmer lived or died by the rates at which the railroad charged - and the railroads knew it. Rate hikes and extortion rackets were common between railroad companies and local governments (compensated by kickbacks) and the only way to avoid them was to join them. The railroad corruption fueled other local corruption, creating entire governments dependent on racketeering and corruption just to function. Governments - and their business backers - largely looked the other way so long as they got their cut.

When businesses either failed or moved elsewhere, everything in the area would basically implode, because entire cities were designed to feed a business and were dependent on its wages to function. The unemployed would turn to drugs or criminal organizations, or would move to cities where the work was - further draining the community of resources and causing mass divisions between wealthy, city-dwelling business owners ( and their politicians) and the rural populations. The only time the Federal government ever got involved was usually to send in federal troops to break up workers strikes by shooting them until they went back to work (Thanks, Teddy Roosevelt!), and so wealthy politicians were free to carve up fiefdoms and shake locals down for as much as they possibly could.

When you realize that Appalachia was basically rebuilt as an extractive economy set up by a "foreign" power, that then collapsed on itself, it's not hard to understand why many parts of it are still insanely poor.
>>
>>53561135
So I guess the country I lived in was a combination of jews, drunk rutgers students, old people and asians.
>>
>>53565725
Cambodians are almost as common as blacks here. Now that I think about it, there's a lot of Bosnians too.
>>
>>53565805

>anything even remotely in-depth must obviously be school-related!

Are you actually illiterate? Or just retarded?
>>
File: PornSearchTerms.png-large.png (195KB, 605x591px) Image search: [Google]
PornSearchTerms.png-large.png
195KB, 605x591px
>>53557364
Pay close attention to Kentucky
>>
>>53561135

Speaking as a native, Jersey is wierd because it's kind of a microcosm of America all in one place tinier than Israel.

It has conservative WASPs, endless poverty among the black communities and inner cities, rednecks (mostly spillover from Pennsylvania), people so rich they could probably buy the whole state if they wanted, the beachfront community culture, farmers, pretty much every ethnic group you can think of (statistically the greatest group of Indians outside of India I think, and they're all engineers or doctors), the polluted aftermath of the industrial revolution, and even mini-Vegas.

You could do almost any setting in Jersey, it just depends on where in the state you are.
>>
File: 18ybooeerjrw5png.png (243KB, 800x470px) Image search: [Google]
18ybooeerjrw5png.png
243KB, 800x470px
>>53565981
You gotta do the one with every state individually.
>>
>>53566087
As a PA native, I have yet to see a PA redneck.
>>
>>53557163
You have to slay your evil uncle who kidnapped your sister wife and bastard child.
>>
File: 1334641919933.jpg (40KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1334641919933.jpg
40KB, 200x200px
>>53566104
>creampie
>creampie
>creampie
>creampie
>creampie
>creampie
>>
File: 1493916187510.jpg (27KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
1493916187510.jpg
27KB, 320x320px
>>53557163
Chicken kind of ones, with badass rooster fighters.
>>
Cousin fucking is pure, why are so many of you guys against it?
>>
>>53565837
>No, the South had already done that itself.
Yes and no. The South was already poor, and under an aristocratic system, but even still they had the possibility of social upheaval and socio-economic rejuvenation - had it come from the South and the wealth generated by it stayed in the South, like it often was antebellum. The mass influx of Northern wealth and power restructured society to funnel money outside of Appalachia, and the only way to benefit from this arrangement was to move out or get a job helping funnel that wealth out.

The major issue here was the HUGE influence of railroads (owned OVERWHELMINGLY by northerners), the injection of Northern capital, and the ability Reconstruction gave these insanely powerful entities to mold local policy to benefit themselves. When social upheaval and mobility came to Appalachia, the products of its labor were not contained within Appalachia - they were moved to port cities or up north, where the corporate owners, tycoons, and literal monopoly holders lived, and the only capital injected into the region was directly related to the sustenance of their business interests. The only way to benefit from this wealth was to participate in the system and therefore further help funnel the wealth out of the region.

>If anything, Reconstruction was too soft.

It was both too soft in some places and far too harsh in others. Reconstruction was undertaken to "punish" the South for the Civil War, and in the process completely restructured Southern economic activity to subjugate it to Northern interests, controlled by the railroads. With the exception of freeing black slaves (and then using them to prop up Republican interests, as black voters were understandably overwhelmingly Republican) the North largely did not care about Southern society, which they viewed as being beneath them, and focused purely on getting as much money for their backers as they possibly could.
>>
>>53566129

>he don't know Pennsytucky is a thing

Boy you gon learn
>>
File: 991486955883546.jpg (27KB, 500x398px) Image search: [Google]
991486955883546.jpg
27KB, 500x398px
>>53566104
>Utah
>>
>>53566104
What's anita queen?
>>
To all the idiots in here saying it's not that bad, you're wrong. I've lived in Kentucky my entire life, grated I'm in northern KY. But for years I've camped and hiked in some of those red areas on >>53560273 and even gone through some of the gray areas. And it is scary. But for the most part, let them be and they'll let you be. But that's only when you really get into the deep mountain areas. The poorer(as in running water electric has been there for 20 or so years) but not poorest areas typically love to see people coming through and can be some of the nicest people though most of these people don't have access to a dentist or small doctor office for easily 50 miles, let alone a hospital. The poorest areas laugh if you mention commodities such as plumbing or gas delivery and typically don't like seeing "others" as the anon earlier called them.

But all that fun stuff aside, hills don't get much prettier then in KY. There are extensive cave networks and mines are abundant. We have great variations in environment, swamps, mountains, rivers, even some plains. There is some great lore surrounding the mountains and the creatures that inhabit them. I think a campaign involving these and dipping into the caves would be awesome. Of course it would have to involve a great feud between warring families.
>>
>>53566242
I'm well aware of Pennsyltucky. I just happen to near the bottom of it. Maryland's just a stone's throw away.
>>
One time when I was driving through kentucky, I saw this hill with a big lump on it, and as I got closer I noticed it looked exactly like the head of a giant sleeping bear. I had some weird and intense feels looking at it, it felt significant somehow.
>>
>>53566242
Penis tucky?
>>
>>53560580
We have our good sides, and our not-so-good sides

>>53561135
>tfw just became a mercedes benz mansion-dweller
>tfw Everyone at work has multiple houses.
I'm gonna make it guys
>>
>>53566189
>Cousin fucking is pure,

Go back to Europe, you fucking degenerate
>>
File: download (1).jpg (6KB, 299x168px) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
6KB, 299x168px
I find this thread hilarious as me and my wife are currently rewatching Justified. Stat pic related i guess
>>
>>53557163
Black Planeswalkers discover fried chicken.
>>
>>53566129

I have family in PA, you aren't going deep enough into the woods. PA is three locations: Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, and Alabama. You go like 20 minutes out of Mechanicsburg and you'll swear you're in West Virginia.
>>
>>53566275

I had to look that up too, she's a Czech-born porn star
>>
>>53566416
Pennsyltucky: A portmanteau of Pennsylvania and Kentucky.

My mom always said that you can divide Pennsylvania into three parts: Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, and Kentucky
>>
>>53560273
You need to add a yellow spot at Murray (University-run town, 50% of which are from China or Saudi Arabia) but a solid black spot in between it and Paducah called Benton. There is still an active Clan there.
>>
>>53566473
>Go back to Europe, you fucking degenerate
>>53565981
>>
>>53566577
Ironically, the insult is surprisingly true to reality, as cousin-fucking is viewed on average as being more socially acceptable in Europe than it is in the US, and the incidents are far higher because of it.
>>
>>53565981
>>53566104
Didn't Pornhub just confirm that "mother" is the most searched term across the country?
>>
>>53565933
Kentucky: the melting pot of america
>>
>>53566628
https://www.pornhub.com/insights/2016-year-in-review
Other countries are listed in the article. They have pretty similar ranking to the USA.

I wouldn't bother with the worldwide one because the USA makes up a large portion of Pornhub's traffic.
>>
>>53566650
Fair warning, the soup in that pot is raccoon meat.
>>
>>53566715
>step-mom
>step
Fucking pussies, go all the way
>>
I've been to Kentucky on many occasions and that place is already a fantasy setting. I wouldn't bat an eyelid if there were actual skeleton summoning necromancers building a hidden lair in Kentucky's abandoned mines.
>>
>>53566723
>not liking Cajun Squirrel Soup
>>
>>53566715
>Overwatch
>up 452 places
>>
File: doors.png (948KB, 2864x1669px) Image search: [Google]
doors.png
948KB, 2864x1669px
>>
>>53566216
Man, looking at other southern states I am sometimes shocked at how well mine bounces back. The only other state I can think of that did that is Virginia, but something was lost in the process. Like it being anything other than housing for the quagmire that is DC.
>>
>>53566901
Please, someone, post more like this.
>>
File: She sees your search history.png (91KB, 150x150px) Image search: [Google]
She sees your search history.png
91KB, 150x150px
>>53566732
I was thinking the same thing. Step mom and step sister my ass; these weak shits know what they really want.
>>
>>53557163
>What kind of campaigns could you set in the fantasy equivalent of Kentucky?

Probably something similar to Far Cry 5. The only news I ever see out of Kentucky is how some religious bigot tried to crusade against the rights of minorities because "muh Jesus." I really doubt Jesus would condone or endorse that kind of ill treatment of one's fellow humans, but okay.

(Note: I'm not hating on religion. I'm quite sure these kinds of people are not appropriate posterboards for the respective belief systems they claim to be a part of.)
>>
>>53557434
>Based gun laws, tons of wilderness, great food, affordable land, and interesting local lore say otherwise.

I feel you're skimming over some important negatives, like high rates of methadone and opioid abuse, batshit crazy locals, batshit crazy politicians, high fatalities from armed robberies, and really shitty infrastructure.

I mean, it's nice that gun laws are so lax there, but that's probably because there's a genuine need to go armed when you're surrounded by tweakers and violent schizophrenics.
>>
>>53557364
Unfortunately the gross chicken is pretty common.
>>
>>53567279
I know this is bait, but can I ask if you ever actually read the news that comes out of Kentucky or do you get all your news about the south from Comedy Central sketches and Deliverance reruns?
>>
>>53567336
Lexington is pretty great dude. Literally the safest major city in the US. I passed through there on my cross country road trip.
Best of all, barely any nigs
>>
>>53560580
>>Can someone tell me if this is bullshit?

It's not. But like the other anon pointed out, it really varies from city to city. The more rural areas are the worst. Horrible infrastructure, run-down buildings and ghost towns everywhere, creepy backwoods people who practically embody all of Westboro's values, and drugs, drugs, drugs.

>I can not believe that parts of a country like America can be that

State governments have quite a bit of autonomy from the federal government. So yeah, one state can be radically different from another.
>>
>>53567398
>I know this is bait
I'm inclined not to reply to your post at all if you're going to dismiss anything I have to say regardless. But I'll give you the benefit of the doubt just once.

>but can I ask if you ever actually read the news that comes out of Kentucky
I've lived on the border of Kentucky all my life, and make frequent trips in and out of the state.

>do you get all your news about the south from Comedy Central sketches and Deliverance reruns?
I don't watch Comedy Central, so I'll just have to assume this is some series you'd consider to have a strong liberal bias. I'm a Libertarian.
>>
>>53567412

>>>/pol/ is that way, kiddo
>>
>>53563268
10/10, anon.
You should've put Tailypo's story in there. One of my favorites as a kid.
>>
>>53566327
That's pretty neat. I've had that feeling before too.
>>
>>53567468
Okay. Well apart from being a massive bitch, you also don't know shit about your subject and think lying on the internet is smart. The Southern Poverty Law Center, a group that tends to push people into the category of 'hate group' a little too easily by the way, only lists two Christian hate groups in Kentucky. Not surprising considering that nearly half the state doesn't go to any church at all. Only a little over 30% of the state is evangelical, and 10% of the state is catholic. Most of the really dangerous churches are only dangerous to themselves wth the snake handling. Hell, you're more likely to be killed by a homegrown terrorist out of Lexington than a religious fundie with a noose and a strong opinion on race.

And no, I mentioned Comedy Central because they're synonymous with stale comedy for me. I never asked, and I don't care, about your politics.
>>
>>53565718
Coal will make a comeback aaaany minute now. Just as soon as someone in Kentucky builds a fucking time machine, that is. Hey OP, there's your plot hook: A journey through time to get back to those halcyon days when the coal industry could support a town. 'Cause it sure as shit ain't in the future no matter how hard some Kentuckians cling to the notion.
>>
File: 1493907250051.png (201KB, 313x326px) Image search: [Google]
1493907250051.png
201KB, 313x326px
200+ posts and no one mentioned the fact that Native American tribes referred to Kentucky as "the dark and bloody ground?" That red-haired mummies were found in a Kentucky cave system?

https://unusualkentucky.blogspot.com/2010/10/land-of-tomorrow.html
>>
>>53558285
Fuck, I want to live in your backyard.
>>
>>53566306
Some of those bad areas according to the fbi are some of the safest places to live.
>>
>>53568717

...as long as you're male, white, and totally unconnected to the drug trade.
>>
>>53566306
T cannibal inbred hick
>>
>>53557293

>What is magic economic coal and farming states
>>
>>53568755
Well the last one isn't too hard if you're the second one.
>>
>>53568489
The heyday of coal wasn't even really that good. Mining in general was a dangerous, backbreaking job then. There is a reason why for much of human history you did it with slaves, because people rarely choose that life.

And the money that you got from it? You turned around and spent it at a company story, to buy company products, then go to your company home to sleep in a company bed. All that money went to the company, and did they give back anything that they didn't absolutely have to? Of course not, they're a business. They don't do anything out of the goodness of their heart.

Then, when your back is giving out from cramming your body into too small a space and your lungs are giving out from all the dust, they cut you loose and leave you to die, because you're of no more use to them.
>>
>>53557163
Thinking a "The Wilds" type campaign.

I live north on Pike County BTW. If you know where Louisa is?
>>53557406
Because it's good.
>>
>>53557163
I never noticed that, but see how the state borders around Kentucky all align towards Kentucky? It's like Kentucky warps space around it.
>>
>>53569224
Except for Tennessee.
>>
>>53569224
I think it's cause the borders are on rivers or mountain ranges. You know, natural border type shit
I know for a fact the border between Illinois and Mossouri is the mississippi river
>>
>>53569075

What are the heroin and opioid epidemics, anon? Those are fucking white people just as bad as anyone else. This isn't like the crack cocaine stuff in the 80s-90s.
>>
>>53558786
>I can start a fire with my shoelace and sticks
Big whoop. Kindergardeners are taught that here in case they get lost in the woods.
>>
>>53569532
>Kindergardeners
Are we talking about children that garden or gardens of children?
>>
>>53568755
Of you know, normally. As crime rates against women are actually a thing the FBI tracks too. Those areas are generally very low in violent crime. including Rape.
>>
>>53565933
Jesus, Cambos and Bosnians are worse than any black I've ever met... Including the ones that robbed me.
>>
>>53562393

From Lexington. There are legit people who live in wooden cabins with uneven dirt floors that nonetheless have electricity, cable television and smartphones. It's a fucking weird state.
>>
>>53567412

>safest
>barely any nigs

Just don't live near the Woodhill area. I got home invaded by three nigs and robbed at gunpoint. And I lived in a semi-okay area (all the blacks live blocks away).
>>
>>53557293
As someone from mississippi who still lives in mississippi I'm already playing this game, but I'm 25 and it's looking less and less likely by the day when my 80k a year a job in ANY other state pays 31k here. Send help please.
>>
>>53570208
> Send help please.
But that would require sending someone into Mississippi, and we're not THAT cruel.
>>
>>53566715
>overwatch

Okay, but what are the adults watching?
>>
>>53570218
Please, I'm afriad I might die here
>>
>>53570243
Do you have said job, or are you training for said job?
>>
>>53570283
I have said job. I'm a web developer. Not my favorite job, I hate programming, but it's the only one I have been able to find and I have a mortgage.
>>
>>53560580
I live in Eastern Kentucky. My dad didn't pay the water bill, because he couldn't, so they turned off the water. Instead of trying to get it turned back on, he took a shotgun out, forced off the cover and shot the water meter. We then dug a well.
>>
>>53557339
nah dude you can ride bikes in a huge cave. they got dirtjumps and shit in there its legit
>>
>>53570298
>and I have a mortgage.

>being tied to land in Kentucky
You only have yourself to blame
>>
>>53570435
>kentucky
What?

I said Mississippi
>>
File: bukhara.jpg (362KB, 860x430px) Image search: [Google]
bukhara.jpg
362KB, 860x430px
>>53559388
It's not about finding them interesting or not, it's about lack of even most rudimentry knowledge about them.
Let's put that into some additional perspective. You decide to create a campaign set in 18th Bukhara and ALL you know about the place is the pic I've posted and the fact it's somewhere Central Asia. How do you think this is going to affect the quality of the setting and by extension - of entire game?
And do I need to point out it was bigger than Kentucky or most of countries and American states? Or how the size means absolutely nothing for the creation of the setting, if you have no idea what are you doing. In fact, the bigger it is, the harder it is going to be to fill it up, especially with no knowledge of the place.

So in the end you are going to create not even some "fantasy" (in sense of inserting things utterly unrelated with real deal) version of the place in sense of Not!Place, but outright imaginary location that comes with barely any semblance with the inspirational material, precisely because how unknown the real deal is to you as creator.
Bonus round if you happen to run the game with players more familiar with the stuff than you yourself, since they rarely will treat that as GM's creativity and instead will most likely call you out on your ignorance. And worst case scenario - do to their knowledge they will try to do something fitting for the real deal, but due to your unfamiliarity, you are going to shoo them.
>>
>>53570480
*18th century
>>
>>53570480
>18th century Bukhara
I'd rather play 19th: you've got the distant tremors of The Great Game in an emirate desperate to survive the dance of some of the largest empires on earth, particularly the ever-present Russian Bear breathing down its neck.
>>
>>53570480
Noted. Time to make a Rhode Island campaign.
>>
>>53557163
Something something running moonshine. Prohibition era is best era for fantasy Appalachia.
>>
>>53570480
But isn't that what this thread is for, to gather knowledge about the place preferebly to the point you can use it as a setting?
>>
>>53569556
>children that garden or gardens of children
It's a metaphor. Kindergarten (mainly spelled 'kindergarden' in the US) helps very young children (around age 5 in the US) transition from home into school, and also helps them learn some very basic skills and values. Plus it means working parents don't need to arrange for childcare all day while they're at work. It's considered advantageous to send children to such programs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kindergarten
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pre-kindergarten

In the US there are also sometimes programs for kids under 5, usually called "Pre-K" which stands for "Pre-Kindergarden".
>>
>>53562468
Christ, this makes my childhood in rural Mississippi look like a paradise.

...actually, my family were landowners with sharecroppers, so.., it kinda was paradise. I lived on the modern equivalent of plantation manors. They're kickass.
>>
>>53573848
Yeah thanks. I learned all of that before I attended kindergarten in the U.S. where I've lived all of my life.
>mainly spelled 'kindergarden' in the US
Bullshit, I've never seen it spelled this way and the article you cited makes no mention of "kindergarden"
>>
>>53573848
It is not spelled "Kindergarden" in the US
>>
>>53557163
I barely know enough about Kentucky to use it as a setting for a chicken survival game. Will you end up deep fried? Or are you a bad enough cock to kill the Colonel?
>>
>>53568489
Coal is just a political thing, and the easiest way to tell that is because Idaho and Montana produce way more coal than the eastern states, but they never get mentioned in political talks because why bother, those states will always go red no matter what.
>>
>>53557364
It's usually not spoken about in polite company.

My Grandfather and Grandmother are from Kentucky, and are cousins.

The problem didn't stem from weird ass incest fetish or anything.

The issue is that one side of the family hated the other so much they didn't tell their kids they were even related.

It's like romeo and Juliet. Except with incest.

I was born with two club feet and a chronic illness. My aunts kids were born with genetic diseases as well.
>>
>>53562650
>You can and do get guns and farm tools pointed at you for driving into some small eastern kentucky towns.

You can and do get written bullshit and shitposting pointed at you for going to 4chan, so what's your point? I call bullshit. Give proof that any of this shit happens.
>>
>>53560273
I've been there, it ain't that bad. Mostly just boring land and roaring hills. A bit like Pennsylvania, except without former New Yorkers forgetting that they can drive and taking forever on the highway.

To be frank, you sound like the kinda guy who'd freak out without internet for more than a day.
>>
>>53575080 Not him.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/09/25/AR2009092503046.html

short notice but that's what I've got.
>>
>>53558633
American culture exists, you just can't see it. For mostly the same reason you can't see the planet Earth just by looking at the ground.
>>
>>53575080

It's not like there's any proof you're going to admit proves you wrong, so what's the point? It's always either anecdotal evidence, isolated incidents (no matter how many there are), or digitally faked.
>>
>>53557163
Ever seen "Justified"? In that show, Kentucky is essentially America's Afghanistan: inbred clans, guns everywhere, drug-gangs, blood feuds, religious fanaticism, isolated communities with a thin veneer of governmental overview, etc. etc. etc.

Your players are a mixed bag of supernatural refugees (vampires, weres, whatever) who's side just lost a war with something horribly bad. You flee to a hick state and discover that the locals are -- in their own way -- a dangerous bunch who seem to be playing by a set of rules wildly different than the rest of the world.
>>
>>53565458
>>"confederate fag"
Kentucky tried to stay neutral during the Civil War. When the Confederacy invaded, Kentucky jumped to the Union side.
>>
>>53575705

If you weren't with the Union from the beginning, you were against the Union, and a traitor and sons of traitors.
>>
>>53576283
1 out of 10 troll effort.
>>
>>53557293
>Arkansas
Bitch I know you did not just badmouth the land of my peoples. The Ozarks are a magical place.
>>
>>53576404

Yeah, magical is one way of putting it.
>>
>>53568527
Well, shit. This is a shared element between tribes!
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Si-Te-Cah
>>
>>53576938
It's more kind than saying Witch Infested.
>>
>>53577475
That's why we have the guns.
For the witches.
>>
>>53564452
Outside of a few hard core Democrat states this is the case. Walk in, fill out the federal paperwork, wait on the store owner to enter your info, walk out with a brand new rifle/handgun/shotgun in less than 30 min with no other paperwork required.
>>
>>53572253
there are actually a whole bunch of counties in Kentucky that still ban the sale of alcohol.
>>
>>53578114
What the government allows and what goes on are rarely the same thing.
>>
>>53578114
Dry counties ban the sale of alcohol.
>like they don't just make their own moonshine anyway.
>>
>>53557163
Actually, as yuropoor whenever I want to set something in the USA, I gravitate towards Kentucky. None of my players would know shit about Kentucky (I don't like being outdone knowledge wise when GMing), there is plenty of wilderness, there has to be some civilization, it's pretty great for "generic place in USA".

And then it seems to have plenty of depth to explore but I never really bothered. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSObRNcPAv8
>>
>>53557368
This is dope
>>
>>53563372
I'd just assumed they were the same person
>>
>>53557163
illegal moonshiners smuggling their goods accidentally come up on a crypt of an eldritch abomination, and decide to take it out...
>>
>>53565402
Can confirm this 100%
I live in Radcliff and there's so many abandoned buildings from when the 1st Armored Division left and the place became an economic sinkhole
Meanwhile around Albany(a supposed grey zone) there's none of the awful shit you see around here and everyone is genuinely friendly and just generally good people
>>
>be me
>florida anon
>read this thread
>realize that i live in the smallest shithole of the south
>realize that florida won't be facing any money problems soon because of disney and lock heed martin
Thanks guys
You inspired me to go pick up some rifle and go kill an edgy teens shitty pet snake
>>
>>53582609
>take it out
>not get it drunk and fuck it
>>53582842
>florida anon
Oh fuck, its the Florida Man.
>>
>>53583442
FACT
Floridians are the most POWERFUL american people
>>
>>53582790

1st Armored left? That'd do it. My knowledge of the Ft. Knox area ends in 2007, which was the last time I was stationed at the base.

Good to know, and consider the map amended.

>yeah, Albany's OK, I just didn't want to litter the map with tons of tiny dots. Same thing with most of the small college towns not being specifically picked out. More effort than it was worth throwing a map together in 10 minutes for a 4chan thread
>>
>>53582842
Why would you kill your own pet snake, edgelord?
>>
>>53560945
As a Missouri native I enjoy the way people from Louisville pronounce the name of your town. Especially the older residents
>>
>>53558044
Eventually the fracking will turn the entire state into one great big sinkhole, and then its good riddance to Tulsa and toll roads.
>>
>>53584903

Hell, fracking can turn the entire space between the Appalachian mountains and the Rocky Mountains into one giant sinkhole, and nothing of value would be lost.

Speaking as an American, the more dead Americans there are, the better.
>>
>>53585170
What did the middle of the country do to hurt you so, anon?
>>
>>53585752

Elect Donald Trump. Them and the Russians.
>>
>>53561748
That guy on the left there got a hell of a lot of coal-dust on himself.
>>
>>53583792
>1st Armored left? That'd do it. My knowledge of the Ft. Knox area ends in 2007, which was the last time I was stationed at the base.
Get this, they moved to fucking Ft. Benning, which doesn't have a range suitable for firing the main gun on an Abrams. So for training, they send those assholes back up here to fuck around on the range, and then ship them back.
Your tax dollars at work
>>
>>53565908
What in the everloving fuck is this shit?
>>
>>53566901
Motherfucker has SPARE DOORS just lying around in case he needs to make a repair.

Fuck me running, Kentucky is hilarious!
>>
>>53575012
Lordy.
>>
>>53583521
Florida-Man is the world's most misunderstood superhero.
>>
File: Kentucky The RPG.jpg (101KB, 750x600px) Image search: [Google]
Kentucky The RPG.jpg
101KB, 750x600px
>>53557163

Kentucky would make such a delightful, terrifying environment for a modern horror game.

Bigfoot, Dog Man, drunk hillbillies oh my...
>>
>>53573572
I don't know what the thread is for, you would have to ask OP what was the intention. For me it's yet another thread that tries to create a setting based on real life location, while in the same time assuming said location is something familiar to just everyone, their mother and her tiny dog.

To be honest, I didn't even know Kentucky was a "redneck country" before this thread.
And it made me ponder on something. Why do coal regions always end up as stereotypical lair of lowest of low?
Thread posts: 288
Thread images: 37

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.