[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dungeon Design

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: EaxjRz3.jpg (182KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
EaxjRz3.jpg
182KB, 1920x1080px
Hey, /tg/, anyone got any tips on how to properly design dungeons? I'm new at this and I could use some help
>>
>>53539750
>Don't forget to put in toilets for the ogres, rookie mistake
>>
kill yourself
>>
Always one room full of spiders
>>
>>53539750
Start with the purpose of the dungeon.
Both for those playing and whoever built it in world.
Everything else should come from that.
>>
>>53539975
Epic
>>
>>53541512
It's a small (ish) underground cave system that's not fully sized for the players, but hte people who live in it it's a perfect fit.

It's trapped to shit both for their own protection, and to protect their valuables inside from people trying to take it.

The problem I'm having is, like...how do I put that as a place? You know, like, how do I design the room sand cooridors and stuff
>>
put in a dais Adventurers love a dais.
>>
>>53541938
>Natural cave system
So keep that in mind.
It should flow organically, copy patterns of real caves.
There should be stark differences where the dwellers have built structures.

>It's trapped to shit both for their own protection, and to protect their valuables inside from people trying to take it.
Keep in mind that they live there too.
There will be paths that have less traps, or ones that can turned off or passed by.
The obvious main path will be an unused lure of death.
Beyond the long trapped paths, the inner sanctum will be almost free of traps, only a couple that can be triggered intentionally to defend against intruders.
There will be places where they sleep, cook, eat, store food, get water, and do what they do in down time, train, dance, paint, roll dice, etc.
There might an escape tunnel.
>>
>>53542000

hnng
>>
>>53539750
Some guidelines:
-Now, it can be fun to think of your monsters' use of a dungeon. Food/water source and storage, living quarters, refuse, armory, strategic locations, escape routes, locations where they interact with the environment or other monsters, etc. You'll get plenty of good ideas. However, this is for YOU. Your inspiration, your fun. With the exception of some groups, your players aren't going to care much about your dungeon's history, or where the Ogres sleep or whatever. If you have fun including those details and building your dungeon "naturally", do it, just be aware it's not the most important thing, and it will rarely pay off.

-Empty rooms (without valuables or danger) are important. They build tension, and can foreshadow future dungeon elements (blood-spattered campsite with missing corpses = terrified players). They're good for adventurers and monsters to rest in, hide in, set up ambushes in, retreat to, or flee through. They're potential combat rooms. They'll also fire up player creativity: "what can we do with tapestries, old crates, the poisonous mushrooms that grow in the corner?"

-Design the core of your dungeon - the critical content - like a video game level. Have a logical progression of encounters and a difficulty curve. For example X, then Y, then side challenge W, then X + Y, then Y but combined with familiar element Z, then a lot of X, and finally X + Y + Z.

Also, check this out.
https://bankuei.wordpress.com/2014/07/16/dungeons-theory-and-design/
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.