[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Leading Men

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: knight_by_beaver_skin-d5grk2p.jpg (59KB, 493x700px) Image search: [Google]
knight_by_beaver_skin-d5grk2p.jpg
59KB, 493x700px
Hey /tg/, I could use some advice.

I'm due to begin roleplaying a sergeant (in the more modern military sense of a unit leader, though in a medieval fantasy setting) in the next few weeks. I'm going to be taking command of a unit of about a dozen men and women, with varying amounts of armour, mostly carrying polearms, but not always.

These people haven't met my character before. A few of them have met each other. We're all part of a military order at our LARP system who worship the goddess of the Sun, answering to me, the order's head knight and head priest, ranked from lowest to highest in the chain of command. I'm mostly looking for advice on how to effectively roleplay a unit commander in these conditions - I've been focusing on taking inspiration from interviews with soldiers, drill instructors, certain characters in media who I think do "restrained anger" pretty well, while also trying to find a balance where I'm adopting a brotherly or fatherly role over the people I'll be commanding.

All in all, I want to be able to preserve the idea that the players I'm working with are soldiers in a rough-and-tumble unit of crusaders and cutthroats and aren't being led by some 20-something middle-class nerd (which they in fact are).
>>
File: 1476584400119.jpg (99KB, 1149x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1476584400119.jpg
99KB, 1149x1600px
>>
>>53537161
First meeting:
Emphasis the "crusader/religious" aspect by commanding them to kneel for blessing and sermon calling down your god's wrath on his/your foes. If the LARP background material has included prayers or hymns, finish with one.
Try drilling them to march in step, as that's the first stage of learning to fight as a formation. Formation should be polearms centrally, sword and board on flanks for tactical flexibility.
>>
>>53537161
Small unit military leadership comes down to a) be better or close to as good at doing what your unit is meant to be doing b) understanding the next level of what your commander might want from you c) willingness to go the extra mile (when your unit is tired you keep going in short)

Small unit leaders still get their hands dirty - youre probably fighting next to the people but just give commands as to how to engage. Youre part of the group and their link to the bigger structure if it exists.

There are different ways people lead, everyone who has to lead develops a leader-persona. This persona is part of you but you are other things as well, which might be perceivable when youre with peers.
>>
Why not play an inexperienced fop who got promoted through nepotism or accident, who has to learn on the job and maybe one day the unit will actually respect him if he comes to earn it
>>
>>53537161
Never put a duty upon your troops you'd not do yourself, lead from the front and don't ever let them see you afraid or tired. You can feel these things, but you're their example on the line. Lead the charge, bless your men, keep them close and know them - ensure you're not just leading because of your position, but because they trust and like you.
>>
>>53539578
That was my last character.
Also sort of how another character in the group is going. He's not roleplaying, that's just how he is.
>>
>>53537161
so is this for a larp right?
>>
>>53540301
What up, Hungarian. Yeah, big fest LARP in the UK.
>>
>>53540779
Empire?
>>
>>53540779
let me guess: Empire?
>>
Nah, not a fan of Empire. Curious Pastimes.
>>
>>53537161
watch band of brothers, pay attention to winters
watch generation kill
dont pay attention to captain america

for real though, watch those two miniseries' and I wish I could think of some others, but I'm pissed so I've had to retype most of this a few times just to make sure it wasn't 75% typos
>>
>>53541273
Funny enough, I've been doing both of those. Winters and Colbert/Fick/Godfather all make for solid inspiration.
>>
>>53541388
nice dude, as far as I'm concerned you're all good to go as long as you model yourself after them
>>
File: DSC_0139.jpg (985KB, 2848x4288px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0139.jpg
985KB, 2848x4288px
>>53541081
fair enough.
Anyway. If you know the guys then it's a little easier.
First thing first, you said that you don't have that much experience. One of the most important thing is even with experience it's hard to command a lot of people so you need a hierarchy so you only have to command group leaders. Thing is psychologically speaking an average man can't really keep track of more than 6-7 people and that's really stretching it. Try to divide the guys into groups of 4-6 and make one of them the group leader, but probably your hierarchy have something along this line already.

Second is, you give the orders to the ones who are directly below you in the hierarchy. Only in exceptional cases or in very small hierarchy's should you bother doing anything else (or in non-formal situations)

Thirdly: You are there to lead and inspire the people. You can fuck up, you can be successful, doesn't matter as long as you do it in a charismatic way. If you do it right the soldiers will praise you even if you fuck up things. Sadly charisma is not something that can be easily learned, I can't give solid advice on that. but if you really lacking on that front get someone who is good at it and make him into your second in command.

Also, get a flag. Make them proud of the flag. The flag is important
>>
>>53541439
We have a flag! It's great. Also, excellent for signalling with when doing formation work.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.