[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Fifth Edition General:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 357
Thread images: 37

D&D 5th Edition General Discussion

>Download Unearthed Arcana: Revised Subclasses:
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-RevisedSubclasses.pdf

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
https://mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Long ago, in the Before Times:
>>53518536

Eldritch knight, paladin, bladesinger, stone sorcerer, hexblade. How many more gishes does WoTC plan to make?
>>
>>53529539
Enough until they finally get it right. I personally think they have with the Hexblade, Stone-sorc and Paladin. Other gishes need not apply.
>>
>>53529539
Gishes are overrated, most people who want to play them just want to be able to do everything with no downside.
>>
>>53529623
wtf is a gish
>>
>>53529712
Somebody that uses an equal blend of magic and martial. Usually someone melee that focuses on self-buffs, slight blasting and enemy debuffs, and in a well balanced setting they don't over-reach either discipline.
>>
>>53529623
Hexblade is what Bladelock should have been, just like how Raven Queen is how Chainlock should be, each Patron granting an unique, developed feature instead of having 3 generic features for every subclass (like how Seeker grants an entire boon).

I only see this happen with Druid's Wild Shape (which wasn't developed on any UA subclasses) and Warlock having 3 boons that doesn't seem that great or unique (Blade requires feats/invocations, chain is find familiar buffed, tome is ritual warlock).
>>
File: 1453042282402.jpg (390KB, 1759x2500px) Image search: [Google]
1453042282402.jpg
390KB, 1759x2500px
Hey, all.

Gonna DM for a group here, soon, 3 new players, 1 person familiar with PF, and someone else, like, ok at 5e? They've played before, but it's all been homemade stuff, so who knows what their actual understanding is.

I was curious what a good module to run would be, and what setting to go for. Forgotten Realms feels pretty pushed, so I'll probably go for that. So far it looks like a Paladin, Warlock, Rogue, Bard, and something else. Any input is appreciated, thanks!
>>
>>53529778
Probably run Phandelver.

I'd stay away from Dragon Queen (or start on chapter 2 instead of starting in Greenest), I really disliked that 1st chapter.

Your Warlock player may feel really limited with the class if he expect more from it than just spamming a cantrip. Considering you're heavy on casters, maybe use spell points instead(DMG variant rule), if everyone agrees.
>>
>>53529853
I'll check them out. I don't think the caster thing will be an issue, since they're all going to be super lost except for the rogue and whoever our last person picks. I'll check out the spell point idea, though. I'm nervous about the bard. I think he actually plays guitar and is going to try to sing. I really don't want to commit murder suicide.
>>
>>53529778
You don't need to run modules or settings if you don't want.
Contrary to the endless autistic shrieking of 4chan, which should never be taken as fact or even rational thought, FR isn't bad any more then vanilla ice cream is bad, it's just very basic as a setting in terms of what you're getting.
It's actually rather heavy on minutia in the lore for it (you can actually go look up the special words Faerunians use for certain kinds of food, since Ed Greenwood is a huge nerd for shit like that), but otherwise it kind of is one of things that set the "standard" for D&D, especially in this edition where all the lore info in the M&M is basically FR-specific in a lot of cases.

But don't feel pressured to use it if you don't have to; just take the rules of the game and run with the ball yourself if that's the ideal.
>>
>>53529883
Open communication hombre, you run the show. If he's playing guitar like a spazz say you'd like to keep things rolling along instead of hearing him play a song every time he inspires. I'd say roll Vanilla warlock up until you hear problems from the player about the playstyle. As long as you adhere to the general combat rules of 2 shorts and a long with the proper amount of encounters between they'll be fine. My group houserules that Warlocks start with 1 additional spellslot, and then add another when it gets appropriate. One extra cast really does feel great compared to the 2 spell-slots you get for eternity
>>
>>53529883
Casters are definitely powerful in this edition, but in actual practice and not silly internet theorcrafting you need some guys who aren't full casters hitting stuff and doing non-hitting tasks.
>>
>>53529883
>>53529899
What he said, I'm the one you replied to. Currently playing Warlock atm, imo it's easy to find it unidimensional early, specially with other casters being able to change and cast their spells way more often.

I didn't bring spell points to our DM, though, as our that guy sorcerer was booted, so now I can shine on combat/utility spellcasting alone. But it's good to know there's a fix if the player isn't enjoying it.
>>
>>53529899
Buddy I love vanilla icecream.
>>
>>53529623
And even then most people don't realize they got it right the first time with Cleric. You don't actually need a god to use the class.
>>
>>53529920
Murder suicide would be soooo much easier than trying to talk reason with someone that's gonna be a spazz to begin with. I hear what you're saying, though.

Honestly with how they did spellslots, I'm surprised they didn't double down and just do spellpoints to begin with. That's pretty much what spell slots are, just a weird twist on mana to stay adhered to their sacred cow.
>>
>>53529778
It depends on what you want to do. Forgotten Realms is fine because it offers pretty much any scenario you could think of.

I personally prefer homebrews, gives the players something new to explore that they never heard of.

A problem with modules is that a player may have played it before, or have some sort of knowledge about it anyways. I prefer to use modules for inspiration, and maybe maps.
>>
>>53529899
I believe FR gets the hate because how WotC is alienating the edition by not releasing another setting.
FR totally works on its own, but I understand people wanting to see the other settings.
>>
>>53530119
Warlock is an odd bird in that sense. They really pulled their punches in the wrong areas. With proper rests they are extremely effective in that they can cast high level spells without care because they regain that shit easy. However they fucked up by allowing most of their good features at level 1-2 so theres that.

I love warlocks though, and the UA really fixed a ton of issues they had both in flavor and options. Hexblade is the best feeling gish in the game imo.
>>
What the fuck has been happening I the 5egs? What the actual fuck?
>>
>>53530196
Diversity.
>>
>>53530196
Whoevers creating the threads is being a fucktard by posting "triggering" OP's
>>
>>53526330
read the rules faggot
>>
>>53530119
Spell points would make casters too strong.
Using the one in the DMG (which gives the exact value of slots as points) it's possible to spend the 49 points of the higher level spells combined at 20th.

You'd still be able to cast 12 5th level spells before you run out of mana.
It gives way too much versatility vs limiting most spells by 3-4 uses/day.

Plus I can see as a design choice to go with slot levels as it seems easier for newbies to understand how to cast it and how points still needs the slot level to explain you can't cast a 3 point spell even if you have 4 points.
>>
>>53530231
>posts a tribal nigger woman with a spear
who gets triggered by this
>black, strong female, who lives in a mudhuts
I mean, even as an open racist it gets the thumbs up from me
>>
>>53529709
You can play a gish perfectly well with multiclassing. AND you aren't amazing at everything, but you still do fairly well in many respects.
My sorcerer/rogue is a blast to play.
He has so many options on any turn as for what to do with his bonus action.
>>
>>53530196
You people are easily riled up by showing non-white adventurers in the OP, so enterprising anons, finding this immensely amusing, have been posting black people in the OP images.

The best part of it all is that you keep rising to the bait!
>>
>>53530396
>strong female
how fucking dare you assume its gender.
do you know what year it is?
>>
>>53530409
My bad, I thought this was the 5e thread not pfg
wait
>>
Someone needs to scoop Diversity OP by starting the next thread with an anime girl.
>>
>>53529539
>tfw you crit on a 19 and dump 12d8 into a bosses asshole with a cursebringer smite
Hexblade is so fucking good.
>>
>>53530108
>treating a d8 fullcaster without extra attack as a gish
>walking into melee as the only person with mass healing
>even carrying a melee weapon at all
Gives me cancer every time.
>>53529709
That sounds like Bard. Playing a gish in 5e just means playing a regular character since almost every class uses spells, and the ones that don't are kinda gimped because of it.
>>
Hey I ran my pvp game.
It was really fun.

The guy who started off feeling like he was fucked with his odds turned out to be the winner.
Ain't that always the way?
>>
>>53530473
>full plate
>extra magical damage on your weapon attack
>spiritual weapon

They're pretty good gishes, desu famalam.
>>
>>53530473
What as opposed to Hexblade's d8 with only medium armor or Stone Sorc and Bladesinger's d6? And who even needs extra attacks when you can just add +10 to your GWM rolls.
>>
Need some additional backup plans for killing a vampire.

>Field of combat: open field, late in the (cloudy) day/night. No hills nearby, no cover. Not the vampire's lair, but it has one within range should it Mist.
>Party members: Transmuter Wizard, Moon Druid, Rogue/Warlock, Fighter, Fighter, [Random Newbie Probably] All level 5/6
>Enemy: 1 vampire, up to 5 vampire spawn (all likely to be damaged following another fight)
>Allies: Small army, willing to assist
>Main Plan: Moon Druid rains Moonbeam on Vampire, goes Giant Constrictor and grapples, Wizard rains Moonbeam on Vampire, party supports with damage and dealing with the spawn as appropriate (Moonbeam prevents Misty Escape)
>Backup Plan: While Vampire is grappled, Rogue/Warlock forces it to drink a cure for vampirism we picked up, then we kill it normally

There's a lot that could wrong, so I'm trying to come up with counterplans and backup plans. Any ideas are welcome except running away, this is a do-or-die and we don't mind which outcome we get.
>>
>>53530685
>drink a cure for vampirism we picked up, then we kill it normally

So you're becoming the monsters, I see
>>
>>53529539
>that Disney Necklace
>>
>>53530763
fucking hidden mickeys even here now?
>>
>>53530401
Stop talking about yourself in the third person faggot
>>
>>53530757
Becoming? This is all in the name of wiping out two more vampires and taking over their land and criminal empire.
>>
>>53530473
>>treating a d8 fullcaster without extra attack as a gish
>>walking into melee as the only person with mass healing
>>even carrying a melee weapon at all
Wading into combat with Spiritual Weapon and Spirit Guardians, smacking bitches with your weapon of choice+divine strike.
>>
i'm going to run a Wild West gunslinger series in a few months and am about to start working on some homebrew shit for it. any advice?

i'd just as soon run Deadlands or something else but 5e is the only thing they're comfortable with and i like making shit up.
>>
>>53530791
Oh so you're already evil
>>
>>53530775
Hand to God, it's been weeks, maybe even months, since I made a general.
>>
How do guys handle party members claiming another member is OP as a DM?
Recently I've had two of my players come to me claiming another player is OP... but no concrete reasons why. I think it is just theorycrafting, as the poor play gets manhandled every session
>>
>>53530685
somehow acquire a Decanter of Endless Water, then just shoot it at the vampire while he's constricted.
>>
>>53530799
What are you asking for? Classes? NPCs? Settings?
>>
>>53530799
Refluff existing stats for weapons, tack feats and spells onto items directly.
>Sharpshooters Long Rifle
Can't turn it off, but that's fine, they can always carry their normal guns too.
>>
>>53530807
More like Neutral. Different characters have different reasons. My character is evil, but he's persuaded the (good and neutral) others to help because the vampires do pose a threat.

>>53530832
Unfortunately we're locked in at this point, no opportunity to get more supplies.
>>
>>53530799
Trains and shit instead of boats
Slow-ass rustic air balloons instead of air-ships
Horses are a must, of course

Think about what kinda native savages run the wilderness. The easiest thing to do is reflavor orcs as injuns and half-orcs as the spawn they breed when they steal away more civilized races women and force them to birth their children.

How dusty is your wild-west gonna be? Air elementals and shit can cause quite a stir.
>>
>>53530831
Develop the question, dude, what are they playing?
>>
>>53530837
anything at all. i have a basic idea of the classes i want, though i've literally just started the preliminary.

>Brave (stealth and melee)
>Cardsharp (talkan and cheatan)
>Drifter (survival and double-guns)
>Regulator (Paladin-lite and long guns)
>Shootist (quickdraw and marksman)
>Medicine Man (healing and spirits)
>>
>>53530831
I mean, are they trivializing encounters and making the rest of the group effectiveness bystanders when it comes to encounters/combat?
If so, that can be a problem, yes.
Are they just hard to kill? PCs are pretty durable in 5e, especially once you hit mid-late levels. Even if you die, it gets pretty easy to just bring them back.

If they just have the "potential" to be very strong or "broken" but don't do the first thing I mentioned, then tell them to fuck off it doesn't matter. If they can't even muster a reason as to why, tell them to fuck off even harder.
>>
>>53530890
Shootist don't sound so good, seems like an autistic shooter
Is Cardsharp a play on Cardshark?
Others sound good, would Medicine Man and smoke leaves of juana
>>
>>53530917
Was being retarded, didn't know it was also called cardsharp, my bad
>>
>>53530917
Shootist is a reference to John Wayne's last movie. Cardsharp is the original term for cardshark. the two are interchangeable.
>>
>>53530890
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheWildWest
>>
>>53530938
ah, am not really a western guy, my bad
>>
>>53530231
What's there to get triggered by?
I mean I'm a literal autistic person and I haven't seen anything remotely trigger-worthy on these threads.
>>
>>53530890
There's no real reason to come up with new classes, just use the existing ones (including some UAs), refluffed. My suggestion would be...

>Artificer
Tech guy, possibly building a giant mechanical spider so as to overthrow the USA. Almost always colonist.

>Barbarian
Savage and primitive warrior who relies on ferocity rather than skill or learning.

>Druid
A native shaman or priest who follows the will of nature.

>Fighter
Trained warrior who relies on battle tactics and learning. Could be native or colonist.

>Mystic
Not necessarily psionic, but instead tapping into strange and esoteric powers. Think a mesmerist or hypnotist from the Victorian age. Usually colonists, but some natives.

>Paladin
Fights for a cause and imbued with great power by that devotion to a cause. Usually a colonist, but there are some native paladins.

>Ranger
Scout, explorerer, wanderer, vagabond, Grizzly. Comes in both native and colonist varieties. Often get along well with other members of their class better than they get along with their own people.

>Rogue
Cardshark, huckster, maverick and trickster. Also deadly shots when they want to be. Colonist or native in equal variety.

>Warlock
Makes dark pacts with strange powers, like the Windigo perhaps, in exchange for eldritch might. Play up the Cthulhu aspects.
>>
>>53530873
>>53530915
Well, they are a low leveled favored soul sorc, who traded out the ability to alter saves and attack rolls for martial weapon prof. Then as they are playing a short human (and at the prodding of the players saying OP) they traded 5ft of movement to have light armor prof. They then boosted that to medium prof with the feat.
Big focus on closing with the enemy and beating on them in melee, so far it plays like a cleric with some wizard blasting, and had this not happened over multiple sessions I probably would've sent them over to cleric from the start.
Due to some magic items, they have an AC of 20, but the actual cleric in the party can get higher AC, as well as being better in melee.
They even traded out shield as a spell.
In theory, yes, he could be quite strong, but he doesn't play that way at all. In the encounters of the last few sessions he has been drug off, poisoned, rammed, and do to a poor decision he lost a magic item (got swindled by pirates).
I see his potential to be OP... but not seeing it in game.
What is odd is usually these guys are pretty on top of stuff like this.
>>
I'm planning to start up 5E, never played it before. Have lots of experience with 3.5 (and other unrelated systems).
What sources should I allow? Core only? Is there something essential I'm locking y going with pure core? Are there any vital variant rules I should use?
>>
>>53531058
Not unless someone wants to play Ranger.
>>
>>53531058
UA Ranger should pretty much replace the PHB Ranger. EEPC has some spells that can be fun, none of them are really "powerful", but most are flavorful, interesting, or both. VGTM has extra player races that are mostly in line with existing races.

Beyond that, UA is mostly fine for player use, Lore Wizard, and Theurge Wizard archetypes being things you may want to restrict.
>>
>>53531058
Depends what you mean by pure core. Incorporate Sword's Coast Adventurer's Guide for sure, it's all pretty balanced. Salt to taste with Volo's and EEPC.

Revised Ranger UA is worth looking at.
>>
>>53531058
>Are there any vital variant rules I should use?

Feats. You should definitely allow feats. Multiclassing is okay too, I guess. Also, the climbing on Large Monsters rule from the DMG.

>What sources should I allow?

Anything actually printed in book form. Nothing's notably unbalanced until very high levels, except the Ranger, which is both weak and kind of boring as printed in the PHB. Therefore you should instead allow the Unearthed Arcana Revised Ranger, which is stronger and more interesting, without being at all overpowered.

The rest of Unearthed Arcana you can take or leave at your discretion.
>>
>>53531058
Pure core is functional.

Released modules are okay, don't add much complexity but have fun options particularly in spells.

Revised Ranger should replace Ranger, as others have mentioned.

There are no problems with the rest of UA as long as you disallow multiclassing them and also restrict the Lore and Theurge Wizard archetypes. That said you can also just not allow UA to save you the problem of reading through them - there's nothing essential there.
>>
>>53531018
Only two issues I see here.
He's got pretty damn high AC, you say he's "low leveled." I don't know what that means. But AC of 20 on a caster IS pretty damn high. That's more of a fault of the item you gave him.

When it comes to favored soul, it's a little bit annoying that they can be so blasty as a sorcerer and have heals.

You basically turned him into a cleric with a smaller spell list but a potential to be a little bit blasty. Clerics themselves are marginally less blasty.

If he's getting his shit kicked in regardless of the AC though, then he obviously isn't leading the charge with everyone else in the dust. He sounds fine.

Tell your players that you're keeping an eye on things and to trust you. After a long fought battle maybe give them a magic item a bit later.
>>
File: ABNtuzc.jpg (23KB, 400x518px) Image search: [Google]
ABNtuzc.jpg
23KB, 400x518px
One of my players tried to powergame the fuck out of his character as a sorlock and it seems he didn't really understand the build and got all of his character building strategy from shitty forums and the D&D wiki. After talking with him and explaining, "no you're not going to be able to do 4d10+10 to a single target every turn for free at level 5," he's now having second thoughts because he doesn't like the micromanagement of handling two spellcaster classes worth of resources to track.
He still likes the character itself and instead wants to switch to full warlock with his levels. I'm willing to do this but the group decided there needs to be some sort of drawback. Like Asmodeus (his patron) is willing to sap his sorcerer power and grant him more warlock power, but at a price.
Any suggestions for this price? I was thinking maybe some devilish markings that are clearly visible, or misfortune always seems to follow the people who do business with him. That type of stuff.
>>
>>53531113
>Also, the climbing on Large Monsters rule from the DMG.
Where is that listed? I don't have my book to check now but wanna make a note for later if you happen to know.
>>
>>53531197
Asmodeous is the demon/devil of lust right? At least in non-d&d lore. Maybe no girl will ever love him, and just want him for his body.
>>
>>53531238
I'm trying to punish him, not reward him anon.
In D&D Asmodeus is like the king dick of all devils, ruler of the Nine Hells, supreme being within his realm. His domains are knowledge, torment, and tyranny.
>>
>>53531129
If I were you I'd allow multiclassing UA on a case-by-case basis.
Believe it or not, some people multiclass for flavor and not mechanical benefit. Not all combinations are broken.

How I run it is that if a player wants to UA multiclass we ask them why they want to, and then come to a unanimous decision as a group if it should be cool or not. And everyone always ends up happy.
Because even if there's a reason people decide that they shouldn't be allowed to, a simple change to a feature is usually enough to balance it right up.
>>
So my great weapon fighter lost his left arm from the elbow down escaping from a demon world.

What weird and wonderful ways can I replace it? I'm level 4.
>>
>>53531238
that's small time. Make it so that he has to pay back Asmodeus in cum.

To make it easier Asmodeus turns him into a Succubus.
>>
>>53531276
I guess that depends on the character.
What kind of sorcerer was he before? Might be able to come up with some punishment based on that.
>>
>>53531281
Nature cleric, ask pan to give you a tree-arm.
>>
>>53531281
Hook hand that has a slot you can screw weapons into. Takes an action to equip your sword but you are immune to being Disarmed.
>>
>>53531306
I have a magic maul that appears in my hand when I need it, I don't know how I could screw that in, or even if I could modify it. Good idea though

>>53531302
This one would be a great fit for my character as he's essentially Finn the Human with dashes of Zap Branigan.
>>
>>53531192
They are level 4 currently, ty for the advice bro
>>
>>53531276
Play off the torment. Can't get a long rest until he next levels up because of tormented dreams. When he casts a spell he takes damage equal to half the level of the spell slot used. A physical punishment for "abandoning his pact" for so long. Or makes him sacrifice an innocent for forgiveness or something.
>>
>>53531461
And if he was a fire sorcerer, it now burns when he pees.
>>
What exactly is the balance behind warlocks having only 2 spell slots until level 11? Is it because Eldritch/Agonizing Blast is so strong as a cantrip?
>>
>>53531549
Pretty much, that and them refreshing on short-rests. They undersold them though. Should get 3 slots instead of 2 for most of their career so Rod of the pact-keeper isn't so fucking mandatory on them.
>>
>>53531560
yeah if a warlock is in my campaign they'll usually get either the Rod or a Pearl of Power pretty early.
>>
>>53531549
Isn't there a thing where they can meditate for a minute and get their slots back?
>>
>>53531593
Yeah, at level fucking 20.
>>
>>53531197
Give him eternal, irreparable erectile dysfunction. Also make it so he never feels sexual pleasure, or romantic pleasure of any kind, ever again.

For icing on the cake, make all women immediately attracted to him.
>>
>>53531197
Burn scars across a proportion of his body equivalent to the proportion of his total levels that were sorcerer.
>>
How do I play a Knight-Errant that makes people fear me, love me and follow me into battle?
>>
File: 1442500616987.gif (499KB, 222x366px) Image search: [Google]
1442500616987.gif
499KB, 222x366px
How do you write a backstory for a PC of a long-lived race?
>>
>>53531694
Same as for every race. Mention milestones, not day to day shit
>>
>>53531684
kill your enemies and make an example of their corpses, treat your friends, followers, and those under your protection kindly, and put points into charisma for that last one.
>>
File: Hurr.jpg (19KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
Hurr.jpg
19KB, 200x200px
>>53531694
I would cum so hard on those ears.
>>
>>53531058
Good luck and have fun, bro. To your shock and horror, 5e actually works and is a good rpg system.
>>
File: banner.jpg (50KB, 1100x321px) Image search: [Google]
banner.jpg
50KB, 1100x321px
Question for you tha/tg/uys. If I'm dual wielding and also happen to know divine spells, how does sheathing the off hand/main hand weapon work for casting a spell? Would it take a whole action to sheathe the sword and pull out the spellcasting focus? Or does my turn simply end with the focus in my hand rather than the weapon?
>>
I've put together some mechanics for a fight pit the party is going to take part in, but it's completely off the top of my head, so I could use any worthwhile feedback. Apologies for the formatting, it's straight from my notes.

Mechanics
---
**Fight:**
>The fight-runner will have his warlocks cast an extended Antimagic Field on the ring before the battle commences as part of a "surprise".
>Each fighter has a "Knockout" number equal to their Constitution modifier + their proficiency bonus.
>Initiative works as normal.
>Actions can be used to Attack or Dodge - attacks function as normal, but "health" is taken from the opponent's "Knockout" points.
>Dodge functions as normal (enemy has disadvantage to hit).
>No Opportunity Attacks.
>You can win by grappling a prone enemy for three rounds.
>Fights last a total of up to ten rounds, excluding Cheer rounds. If the number of rounds runs out, the fighter with the higher remaining "Knockout" points wins.

**Spectators:**
>Spectators roll initiative as well.
>They get one action, which can be used to use abilities, make wagers, "Cheer", or "Boo".

Cheering or booing involves a Performance roll:
>1-5 means failure.
>6-14 means success.
>15-20 means double the effect (as if two people had cheered/booed).

>If at least five spectators cheer, a round is added to the fight.
>If at least five spectators boo, a round is removed from the fight.

**Wagering:**
All wagers are even bets. Revised wagers can be made during the battle, but it requires a Persuasion check to make the wager.

>Betting against the losing party: DC 15
>Betting when it's even: DC 10
>Betting for the losing party: DC 5

It's not fixed mechanics - the party are free to be creative with it. I just want a framework in place.
>>
>>53531549
Invocations mainly and if they had any more slots earlier they'd have a lot more average spell power than the long rest progression. Still might not break anything though.
>>
>>53529539
>stone sorcerer
Wtf is a stone sorcerer??
>>
>>53532012
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=stone+sorcerer
>>
>>53531973
We run a game where our Warlock gets 3 slots instead of 2, hasn't broken anything at all really. Only thing they have over full casters is the ability to maybe cast one more level 5 slot. Warlocks got boned hard in 5e. They need some really strong Invocations in the mid-game imo. Haven't seen one Warlock in all my time playing stay a pure warlock by level 10
>>
>>53532012
This edition's swordmage.
>>
>>53529623
This Hexblade, Stone-sorc and Paladin that and the Immortal Mystic are all fine as gishes.
>>
>>53532082
It only works against melee attacks. And only attacks, not even save spells (not that anything works against spells aside from mage slayer).

It's shit.

Then again, "this is the 5e version of a 4e thing, except shit" seems to be in theme.
>>
>>53531197
Anon, don't pay too much attention to these >>53531238, >>53531286, >>53531461 guys.
Remember, Asmodeus actively dislikes mortals. He makes use of them, considers them useful tools, but ultimately he doesn't give the smallest fuck about any of them and would gladly just see them all gone if their souls weren't such a useful resource.

Make his punishment be extremely and actively unpleasant; not ironically unpleasant or some strange irony that affects their psychology, but a horrible fucking thing that they are literally incapable of ignoring but still leaves them moderately functional, the magical equivelent of beating your kid bad enough so that it leaves permanent scars but not so bad that the neighbors will see the damage of whatever.

Something like "all the skin on your non-dominant hand is removed and will not heal until you do what I say"; it hurts like a bitch, but you can compensate for it and still function (not your dominant hand after all), but it's also impossible to ignore and having your muscles and nerves permanently exposed to the air is going to fucking suck for them.

Other Archdevils or Demon Lords with a sense of irony might do something clever and Needful Things-like (Mephistopheles for example), but Asmodeus is basically as straightforward and evil as you can get.
>>
>>53532217
Then go back to playing 4e.
>>
>>53532269
I am, I just periodically check out 5e threads for new stuff
>>
>>53532239
>punishment doesn't even have mechanical implications that actually affect a Warlock
Why bother?
>>
>>53532346
4e is pretty fun, 5e is also pretty fun. But they conform to different expectations of power and genre.
Expecting the things to translate cross- edition is pretty retarded.
>>
>>53530799
>>53530837
>>53530890
I'm doing something similar, though with a little mix of mad max in there too. I'm mostly just stuck on gods? What sort of pantheon makes sense?
>>
>>53532419
I totally agree, desu.

I'm just sorta annoyed they brought saves back, but continued to use "when enemy makes an attack roll" for all their "defender-y" mechanics.
>>
File: image.jpg (113KB, 558x610px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
113KB, 558x610px
Okay guys, going to be playing in an Adventurers League today and I got a few undeveloped legal characters in my back pocket but not sure who to use.

1) Fighter 1 / Swashbuckler x Tiefling with Devil's Tongue variant, a charismatic Robin Hood like character who wants to travel, fight evil/tyranny and just have fun OR Oath of the Crown Tiefling with Devil's Tongue who has a law boner from Devil heritage and hams it up like an imperial guard.

2) Goliath Land Druid who really fucking loves the Mountains, likely was exiled from tribe because he has 10 strength.

3) Human Arcana Cleric from traveling circus who's been cursed to never lie (deception only negative charisma skill) found Deneir or Savras or some shit as a result of being cursed and wants to banish extra-planar entities so they don't shit up the world and the weave.
>>
>>53532620
>bit of Mad Max
No gods. Commodities are worshiped. ie guzzoline, water, bullets
>>
File: download.jpg (9KB, 305x165px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
9KB, 305x165px
>>53532662
It is mostly Western, just with some vehicle stuff too, mostly because I had this dream once of a group of cowboy looking guys + one dusty looking wizard driving something like pic related (with 4 seats) having a gunfight with a bunch of gnolls riding motorcycles of bone. The rest of the setting is western, but tech involves some sort of magic vehicles.

Main issue I have, one of my players wants to play a forge cleric, based on some God of Industry type thing, based on whatever pantheon I put in.
>>
>>53532620
>>53532662
>>53532704
By my deeds I honour him, V8.
>>
>>53532620
>>53532662
>>53532704
>>53532840
You will ride eternal, shiny and chrome.
>>
>>53515895
the only way I can see this working is having your dex on the upside to start, so you start a dex fighter, end as str fighter
>>
>>53530763
>tfw no qt black Disney princess
Tiana doesn't count because she spends 70% of the movie as a fucking frog.
>>
File: V8.jpg (23KB, 500x213px) Image search: [Google]
V8.jpg
23KB, 500x213px
>>53532704
maybe he just worships steel or something like that, remember that clerics don't need a god in this edition.
>>53532840
worship the V8, and he does the hand sign as a prayer
>>
>>53530799
Doing the same thing. I ditched all the racial stats and changed out the features to suit the new national stereotypes, but otherwise it's the same fantasy races. Orcs are the Native Americans, Dwarves are Mexican, Elves are French-Canadian, Gnomes are Indian (from India), and Halflings are Mongolian. The Gnomes and Halflings are actually one race but they fucked off to different parts of an island a long time ago because of Reasons and diverged; their island is also the only other known landmass, so there's no England, China, or Russia floating around on either side of Not!America.

The biggest challenge is statting the guns in a way that doesn't completely invalidate every other form of combat besides spellcasting. In my setting, magical crossbows on crack have basically leapfrogged conventional black powder firearms, so there's some wiggle room in how this all shakes out; they look like guns but they fire what are essentially really tiny bolts.
I'm going to keep them on par with actual crossbows and bows, but I'm still not sure on how to handle reloading; probably the Reload property from the DMG, but not every gun may be a bonus action.
Sharpshooter has to lose its cover-ignoring property.
Then I've got to give some advantage to melee, otherwise there's little incentive for anyone to play a Strength character or actually fight things up close instead of shooting at banditos from cover or running away from monsters on horseback while firing. This will probably be in the form of 3E-styled AoOs against targets who fire guns while in reach, perhaps increasing the Disadvantage at short range penalty to 10 feet for some guns like long rifles, and maybe some kind of pseudo-Dash/Dodge on a bonus action that only works against ranged attacks so the melee guys can get into cover or approach people with guns without being riddled.
>>
>>53533140
Simple enough.

You double melee damage. Longsword? 2d8/2d10. Doing 2d6 damage? Try 4d6 instead. Smiting for 2d8 as well? Make that 4d8. GwM for +10 damage? Try +20 instead.

Melee has a huge disadvantage, but they get advantage in close combat if you are wielding a gun, and they will absolutely destroy you if they get there.

Also make it impossible to put away a gun without using your action.
>>
If I were to give Warlocks an class feature that allows them to spend ten minutes communing with their Patron to gain all the benefits of a short rest, once per long rest, would be a reasonable buff? Is it overkill? Or not enough?
>>
>>53533214
For a moment I thought you meant just like a free short rest every long rest and I was gonna ask what the hell you meant.

I'd say it wouldn't make much of a difference to be honest. If the party can afford to hang around for ten minutes, they can probably hang around for an hour taking a short rest anyway. It's only useful if you're actually restricting the number of short rests they can take and throwing loads of encounters at them.
>>
>>53533214
... I'd just straight up make short rests take 15 minutes.

That's what I did in the game where I GM, and we do it everywhere now. Between almost every encounter is a short rest period that allows SR abilities to ome back up. Only works I they aren't in a hurry/aren't getting attacked after the rest fight.

Hasn't made anyone "too good" yet, but has helped the SR reliant classes catch up to the LR reliant classes.
>>
>>53533214
Real-talk? Outside of maybe Hexblade Warlocks you could double their spell-slots and it would be fine. The disparity between full casters and them is a mountain sized gap.
>>
How do I get into tabletop stuff? I used to participate in disgusting chat roleplay and decent forum roleplay, but have never done this. I'm currently reading up on races for 5e (I own the Player's Handbook and the Sword Adventure thingy) but have no idea where to start, as I live in Australia.
>>
>>53532704
Just have him worship fire and steel.
>>
>>53533284
Roll20.

Find groups somewhere else, like reddit or something. Don't find groups through roll20. The software is good enough, but most people there are the worst human thrash you'll find on the internet.
>>
File: 1355596393724.png (195KB, 500x936px) Image search: [Google]
1355596393724.png
195KB, 500x936px
>>53532956
Well, I figure starting with 13STR is enough to allow me to wear chain, and by the time I can get plate, I should have at least one ASI to get me to the point where I can wear it. Plus, early ACs should be low enough that my low starting STR wouldn't fuck me too bad.
>>
>>53533367

Could you maybe help me with my basic idea of what I'd want to play? I'm not sure what the hostility levels in these threads are like, but /tg/ has always seemed relatively friendly. I just want to make sure I'm not 'that guy' that I hear horror stories about, as a friend of mine (when he suggested introducing me to tabletop stuff years ago) got real nervous because I do wrestling stuff and apparently there's some meme where people try and make pro wrestlers in D&D. Anyway:

I really like the idea of 'anti-mages', people that find magic and/or the irresponsible use of it extremely dangerous. I'd ideally want somebody who is pretty good against warriors, but is pretty much a huge pain in the ass for casters. I don't know much about the classes, I've only read the Player's Handbook a bit, but Monk seems like it'd be good for it. What would be the best way of going for it? I'm also not really sure which 'culture' would lend itself better to having a character who can see why magic is a huge risk.

I'd love any help from anyone in the thread on this sorta thing, I really wanna get a feel for this sorta thing so I don't turn up going HEY CAN I BE ANTI MAGE FROM DOTA LOL.
>>
Our DM has let us purchase starting gear, need to choose two languages thanks to investigator background what would be best?
>>
>>53533427
If you're new to 5e, stay away from higher end casters like Sorcerers and Wizards. You need an instinct for the full spell list to really get an idea for it.

It sounds sort of like you could go for a paladin. Maybe Vengeance Paladin.
>>
>>53533485

Ah, sorry if I didn't make it clear, I meant somebody who does things like breaks out of magical binds, purges magic, etc. I might get shot in the head for this, but I was thinking like a Templar from Dragon Age.
>>
>>53521756
Just in case you're still here, and because someone could r8 my homebrew.

>advertise 5e campaign at flgs
>2 people sign up in a month cuz pop. 3,000 redneck town
>scrawny kid plays elf ranger
>pothead kid plays human rogue

They start off trying to locate a kidnapped villager; Ranger ranges a trail all the way to a semi-fortified estate in front of a mountain tarn. Rogue manages to recall that the estate belongs to a powerful wizard, but said wizard often isn't home so of course they're gonna loot that shit.
They learn that a coven of witches moved in and that they indeed have the kidnapped villager; they're holed up in the estate's observatory and are using something in the basement to torture the villager between bouts of interrogation.

After they stealth into the room, Ranger holds the top witch at arrowpoint while Rogue decides to see what neat stuff he can nick from the basement. He runs headfirst into the Mi-go that was locked under the observatory, gets paralyzed, and after two rounds of nearly getting his brain sucked out he finally thinks to call for help. Ranger luckily came to a peaceable understanding with the witches and they bail out Rogue together, killing the Mi-go.

Stats for the creature because I wrote it at midnight and can't be bothered with proper CR adjustment:
http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/BJ-48NdqZb
>>
How do I play a vengeance paladin who isn't edgy? I put his alignment at neutral good and I generally try to be helpful to all the townsfolk and be polite to strangers but when it comes to battle I adopt a very "I am the law/justice" approach. Am I doing this right?
>>
>>53533504
Hm. Most magic can be dispelled with Dispel Magic, a single spell - it can be picked up by a lot of magical classes (Bard, Cleric, Druid, Paladin, Sorcerer, Warlock, Wizard, Fighter (Eldritch Knight)).

Clerics and Paladins can also pick up Dispel Evil and Good which breaks enchantments and dismisses creatures back to their own planes of existence. Banishment, too, and Protection spells.

Paladin probably is the closest thing to a DA Templar.
>>
>>53529539
I personally loved Arcane Trickster but now I have switched to Swashbuckler and am loving being solely focused in one area. If my character dies I may switch it up with full magic but being a blend of both isn't fun to me anymore.
>>
>>53533584

Is there like, subset of classes? You mentioned a 'Vengeance Paladin' but I'm not exactly sure what that means. If I was to go down the 'built for beating up magical classes' Paladin road, where should I be looking? Thanks for the help, by the way. I'm a bit meticulous about this sorta thing and want to get a lot of my details sorted before I start investing energy into it.
>>
>>53533584
>>53533504
Weird as it may sound, Arcana Cleric.
>>
Why are some of the most critical aspects of certain classes written so vaguely? Looking at you stealth. It's like if you want to play a rogue you have to beforehand know how your DM is going to handle the rules for stealth.
>>
>>53533611
So, you pick a main class, e.g. Paladin, and you generally get to pick some sort of subclass at one level or another - so Paladins get Oaths, such as the Oath of Vengeance, Oath of Devotion, etc.

Have a look at https://astranauta.github.io/classes.html#Paladin,

It's a tool for all sorts of game reference, including all handbooks, third party material, and unearthed arcana.

I don't know a huge amount about paladins myself to be honest so there's limited help I can provide, but it sounds like mostly what you want is to pick up Dispel and Banishment abilities, which any Paladin can pick up.
>>
>>53533666
Stealth is fucked in terms of clarity and needs full on revision. I agree.
>>
Need some wizard names QUICK
>>
So, a guy died in a game I am in. It was probably a bad choice to play with these guys but my good friend is the DM but it's with his younger brother and his friends. My buddy and I are 29 and his brother and friends are late teens.

Our Lv 2 party was looking for a group of thugs that have been steals and robbing. We tracked them into a bar and a first fist broke out. The DM was great, shit talking our characters. It was 5 v 7 against our party but the fight was going our way.

Until the wizard that wasn't hitting anything cast thunder clap any knocked a bunch of us down. The DM sort of said there was a lull in the action as everyone gathered themselves up and the thugs drew weapons. Turns out, the bartender was with this group and probably a Lv3 Bard.

She casts crown on madness on my great sword wielding fighter. I happened to be standing really close to this wizard and hit him with a critical for 21 damage, killing him.

The guy sort of lost his shit. Shouting/bitching that it wasn't fair. Both me and the DM were trying to explain that it was just a bar fight but you started throwing really damage at them. The guy is new to DnD but he has been playing RPGs for years. He should have thought before just casting an AoE spell like that or just asking the DAM how the thugs would react to going from a bar fight to serious combat.
>>
>>53533813
You don't just whip out magic in a bar fight.
>>
>>53533781
Harry Potter
Mr. T
Shazam
>>
>>53533781
Pick any Hebrew name, replace last letters with "-ius".
>>
>>53533781
Draziw
Tsac
Cigam
Lleps
>>
>>53533813
>lvl 2
>losing shit over dead char
???
I'd honestly be happy if my char died, love building characters, gm is carebear tho, isnt right time to retire char either
>>
>>53533781
Darnius
Charaztam
Sharquisha
>>
>>53533813

I apologise for typing that out on a phone and not proof reading it.

*Our first fist fight
*And knocked a bunch of us down
>>
>>53533813
>pulling out magic in a fist fight
>WAHH MY LVL 2 DIED
dude should neck himself
>>
>>53533813
He's probably used to no consequences, fucker needs to learn about actions have consequences.
>>
>>53533022
Yeah but her thighs thicc tho
>>
>>53533026
You're thinking of paladins, clerics still get their power from the divine
>>
Does anyone else picture a rogue doing gang signs when he uses thieves cant?
>>
>>53534067

I always head cannon it to like a blend of gang signs and pig latin with Italian gestures thrown in for flair.
>>
>>53534067
No because it's supposed to look complex not retarded, I imagined sign language that was overly long and complicated.
>>
>>53533564
Pls respond
>>
I'm thinking about trying out a warlock for the first time and I'd like to try hexblade assuming my DM allows it. How should I stay him up? Cha is most important correct? Also, are hexblade inherently evil?
>>
>>53534104
italian gestures cracking me up- I always imagine my party's rogue is flashing bloods and crips to everyone he sees
>>53534109
like dem drows, I get you senpai
>>
>>53533427
Monks make good skirmishers, they can get up in a ranged character's face and just be a general nuisance. They don't have much in the way of BIG DEEPS but they can disable characters pretty much for free once they hit level 6. They are, however, extremely MAD, or Multi-Ability Dependant.

As the previous anon said, a Vengeance Paladin could definitely work. They have some pretty great single-target damage in their domain spells and archetype abilities. However, look at the other Oaths for the Paladin. They're more focused on the protection of allies, so that could also play into your fantasy. Oath of Devotion does very well with GWM thanks to their holy weapon Channel Divinity option.

As well, the Eldritch Knight makes for a very good tank, one of the best in the game in fact. If you're ok with magic at all (and as far as I can tell, most anti-mages use a bit of magic to deal with mages), this is probably one of your better choices. You can maintain some martial prowess from the Fighter whilst getting access to spells like Shield and Absorb Elements to defend yourself from magic. As well, you have a lot of ASIs to play with. Once you max out your primary damage stat, you can start taking feats like Shield Master if you're STR-focused or Mage Slayer in general. If you're going to take Shield Master, consider taking a level in Rogue somewhere down the line for a little bit of situational damage and Expertise in Athletics.
>>
>>53534265
ugh first time I tried writing f am
any others words that get switched aside from t bh?
>>
>>53533564
>>53534170
Seems reasonable to me. Remember, it's actually very easy not to be edgy.

Edgy is one or both of two things:
>grimdark applied for no valid reasons
>clichéd grimdark

You can make a character as dark as you like and they're not automatically edgy. It just gets harder to avoid one of those.

If he's not carrying a spiked black weapon made of some unlikely material (e.g. a spiked obsidian sword), he's not drinking the blood of his victims, and not murdering people for no reason, you're probably alright.

I've got a murderhobo in my party who writes the names of everyone he kills in a book, and accidentally killed his mentor through a display of his own power when he was younger. Now THAT'S edgy.
>>
>>53534282
I think baka gets switched from s mh
>>
>>53534291
kill-list seems ayt, especially when it's
Toll Collector 1
Toll Collector 2
Bandit 1
Wolves 3-4
>>
>>53534345
is this the work of moot or hiroshimoot?
>inb4newfag
>>
>>53534351
Eh. He was also abandoned at birth outside an Assassin's Guild, who raised him. Murdered a prostitute for no real reason. I like the player, but he has a tendency for edginess.

He tried to play a neutral good character and rapidly had to downgrade to chaotic neutral (at best).
>>
So there was some talk about a homebrew that would use a pool of d6s, recharged every round and used to do maneuvers and extra damage. Did that get anywhere?
>>
File: 1495819916602m.jpg (77KB, 1024x600px) Image search: [Google]
1495819916602m.jpg
77KB, 1024x600px
>>53530093
>>
>>53534371
Gookmoot.

Newfag.
>>
>>53531844
No specific rules on that. Sheating / unsheating is usually done as part of another action (such as while charging). But if you need to do something complex you might need to take the 'interact with an object' action.

It's up to the DM. Maybe ask him if you can use your bonus action to do it.
>>
>>53534443
>>53531844
Sage advice says you can hold two weapons in one hand while casting the spell, as long as you return to holding one in each by the time your turn ends. Same as holding a weapon in your shield hand and holding a 2-handed weapon with 1 hand. Can't attack at the same time of course, so you can't use something like booming blade if it requires material components.
>>
>>53531197
Every being that the character kills (killing blow) will come back to haunt them 1d8 days after the deed was done.

There is a 1/6 chance of the hauntings taking physical manifestation, which results in a combat encounter.
If this does not happen, the player must test dc 12 wisdom save or take 1d4 psychic damage and wake up immediately, losing the benefits of the rest.
>>
>>53534384
The edge is definitely powerful in that one
Some people really like using it as an outlet I guess, thankfully my party finally grew out of that stage, but they're still having difficulties play non murder-hobos
>>
>>53531208
Page 271
>>
>>53534440
damn, thanks m8
>>
>>53532654
>I'm just sorta annoyed they brought saves back, but continued to use "when enemy makes an attack roll" for all their "defender-y" mechanics.
Agreed, I'm a bit annoyed at it when it comes to Sentinel since you will never get the reaction attack against casters, but at least there it's just a small part of the balance. Playing stone sorcerer against monsters that use non-attacks would be infuriating.
>>
>>53534574
Yeah, basically this.

I mean, I don't even know/care how balanced it all ends up, I just feel that both from the perspective of thematics and fun, it'd have been better to keep the interactions there instead of (maybe accidentally?) sidestepping it.
>>
It finally happened after 6 sessions a character died. They started at lvl 2 and they were only 100 xp away from lvl 4. (We play short sessions weekly after work).

I have 3 players, a power gamer who always gets happy about loot and getting items, a more casual guy who still forgets his abilities (and he picked a variant human druid of the moon) and a guy who is really into my world, playing and made a very well done backstory.

The latter guy died after a series of bad rolls... but after the session I remembered that the casual guy had sentinel and he forgot to use it... there is no way the other guy would have died how the fight went if he would have remembered to use his feat.

I imagine that as a player it must be very frustrating to die like this.
>>
>>53533284
>Option 1)
Even if you live in rural australia, there might be a local group / club somewhere. Go search for it, be it google or something else.

>Option 2)
Ask your friends if they want to play. Remember, you don't need to play every week. You can do bi-weekly games, or even dual-monthly games and still have fun. (Once per month, or rarer, generally only works if you're doing one-session games.)

>Option 3)
Go to the gamefinder thread on this site, or somewhere else (maybe an australian forum, as your timeschedules can be messy). Look for a roll20 group.

As for game advice; try to have fun. Take a look at the books, play something you think would be fun. Ask the DM what the setting is like. If something ends up being an issue, try to resolve it on the spot.
>>
>>53534686
Typically character death can be traced to mistakes players make, or a shitty gm, how the game works it's one of those. Shit happens, mistakes will be made and as long as they keep playing they will all have a character die.

It's annoying but it's important to learn from it as a player and move on.

Also maybe the character just chose not to save him.
>>
>>53534497
He's specifically asking if he can pull out a spell focus.

That said,
>>53531844
see if you can have the spell focus incorporated in your weapons or if you can hang it from your wrist to make it easy to draw.
>>
>>53534686
It's up to the players to remember their abilities.
This will be a good lesson for them. Tell them about your findings next time you play.
>>
>>53534808
Pulling out a spell focus would be an interaction by raw, my point was that you don't have to use an interaction to stow your weapon so you don't end up having to use your action. To stow your focus again would require it, but you could drop it or ask the gm to not follow raw to that extent because in that case people will be dropping weapons all over the place.
>>
>>53534225
Anyone?
>>
>>53534925
However you like
Yes
No
>>
>>53534826
I know. I just felt bad that forgetting his abilities killed someone else and not him. Actions should have consequences it is just shitty when someone else pays for it.

I guess he'll remember his abilities now though.
>>
So guys, if I need help on how to creat a character for 3.5, in which thread do I ask? 5e or pfg?
>>
>>53534962
pf is closer, but making a new thread would maybe be best.
>>
>>53534973
I'll not bother anyone and ask pfg, thanks.
>>
Guess the next UA
>>
>>53535073
Vehicles Revisited?
>>
>>53535073
Overpowered Wizard Sublasses Part 2: Electric Boogaloo
>>
>>53535115
You mean part 3 right?
>>
>>53533427
Shadow monk.

Take the mage slayer feat.

Ultimate anti-fun for mages.

You can teleport at will from shadow to shadow, you can cast an AoE Silence around you, and you can stun that targets a save mages usually can't deal with properly. Couple that with the mage slayer feat, they will need some *very* insane GM fiat to have any kind of chance to be even remotely useful in a fight.
>>
>>53529623
>Enough until they finally get it right.

They have. Paladins, Valor Bards, and Eldritch Knights
>>
So, everyone, as we all know, Two-weapon fighting is very weak.

I threw together a comparison of fighting styles and shit: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fnVIIEgvxpsnXnsXckCZdf-CqH7y7e_usg-dBgDmniA/edit#gid=0

It's also worth noting that since Great Weapon Fighting style adds so little, Great Weapon users can take the Defense fighting style (+1 AC) and have higher damage than Two-Weapon users, as well as higher AC (or equal if the Two-Weapon user spends a feat to get there)

How do we fix it?

Allowing the TWF attack to be made as part of the attack action adds versatility, but still puts them behind PAM Duelists in both damage and AC.

Keeping TWF the same as it currently is, but tacking on one more attack with the feat adds way too much damage.

What's the solution?
>>
>>53535073
I want a massive overhaul of Artificer, but I doubt that's going to happen.

Probably some more small UA revisions, or some extension of an inane mechanic.
>>
How broken would it be to give the Warlock one extra spell slot? So they start with 2 and finish with 5.
>>
>>53530685
>(Moonbeam prevents Misty Escape)

No it doesn't

Why isn't the Druid using running water?
>>
>>53535161
Artificer needs to be a half-caster.
>>
>>53533022
Moana? Jasmine?
>>
>>53535180
Honestly, not at all.
>>
Anyone got a tl;dr of what the important changes in the Revised Subclasses UA were? Kensei only gets +, not adv? Favored souls don't get martial stuff? Arcane Archers still get a shite amount of arrows?

http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-RevisedSubclasses.pdf
>>
>>53534547
Also cu ck to cuck
>>
>>53535154
Nothing. Dual weilding should be left to rogues.
>>
>>53535246
Nevermind, thought it switched to kek but maybe I'm retarded
>>
>>53535209
Polynesian and Arabic/Persian respectively.
>>
>>53531197
>4d10+10 damage every turn at level 5
What, do they have infinite sorcery points or what's going on?
At level 5, a sorlock deals 2d10+10 damage +20ft knockback, typically, unless they're going for devil's sight, in which case they 'might' get advantage if they invest instead of pushback.
They can quicken a spell for two sorcery points. They can do this, what, once a day?
If they burn ALL of their spell slots, warlock2/sorcerer3, they have 11 sorcery points. That's 5 quickens a day +1 more every short rest.
Okay, so they sacrificed all their spells to be a ranged fighter. How does it compare if they only face ~5-8 turns of combat a day?
They'll have +3 charisma modifier at level 5.
So, they'll deal 4d10+12 damage if everything hits, +6 to hit.
A fighter at that point can have CBE+Sharpshooter.
Three attacks (Without action surge), +2 to hit from archery..
The fighter is doing 3d6+39 damage with +3 to hit.
On an action surge, it's 5d6+65.
And then there are battlemaster manoeuvres I haven't considered.

As long as you don't let them repelling meme massive creatures and don't let them start 2 levels of fighter to become tanky AND blastey, I think it's fine. Especially if they don't know how to play it.
>>
>>53535275
It used to. Now it's only if it's in all caps
>>
>>53534268
>extremely MAD
>monk
What?
Dex and wisdom
Con where possible.

What is the problem?
>Suggests Paladin instead
Oh, you are retarded. Gotcha.
>>
>>53535154
Remove the "use 1d8 weapons" from the feat, and change it to "when you make an attack, you can attack with both weapons, adding both damage die to the attack".

So the biggest two-weapon fighting weapons you can use are d6, and you can deal 2d6+mod on each attack.

Increases damage, but not too much.
>>
>>53535151
But that isn't the exact perfect fit some people want, so they need to shit out another class or archetype to fit every person's ideal.
>>
>>53535154
I just remove the need to use a bonus action. Starting at 3rd-5th level means the early boost doesn't matter much, and the lack of good feats for twf means that once shield master/PAM/GWM/SS come into play it gets overshadowed by those. It means melee rogues will always dual wield, paladins, rangers and barbarians can do so and most others will not even consider it. There are probably still some balance issues but they can be made up for with training and magical items.
>>
>>53535195
>No it doesn't
>A shapechanger makes its saving throw with disadvantage. If it fails, it also instantly reverts to its original form and can't assume a different form until it leaves the spell's light.
>can't assume a different form

>Misty Escape. When it drops to 0 hit points outside its resting place, the vampire transforms into a cloud of mist (as in the Shapechanger trait) instead of falling unconscious, provided that it isn't in sunlight or running water. If it can't transform, it is destroyed.

Yes, it does.

Where would the Druid get running water? Tidal Wave?
>>
>>53535329
We did this to help the fighter who had trouble keeping up.

Basically just added the damage dice together. 2d8 base damage dice is only so-so for the price of not only a feat, but also a fighting style. Brought him more in line with the others, and this way it stacks with his additional attacks, making it actually worth a damn.
>>
>>53535417
2d8 is too strong, I think.

With 2d6 and 3 attacks, you already come pretty close to GWM, 2d8 would make you JUST under it.

I do think adding the weapon damage die together is probably the answer though.
>>
What level of spell is one BM maneuver equivalent to?
>>
>>53535319
>obvious bait/10
good job making me reply

In case you're not just pretending to be retarded and actually think Paladin is more MAD than Monk, lemme educate you.

To be able to survive as a Monk, you need two stats to be maxed and a third to be relatively high. Damage comes from one stat, DC comes from another, AC comes from both, and HP needs to not be shit because d8 lel. The DC is important as most of your meaningful class features rely on it. Stunning Strike, anything Open Fist related, etc. You can't really afford not to have good stats in at least 3 abilities, which makes you rather MAD when a Fighter or Wizard only needs Primary Stat + CON.

Now with a Paladin, you need to have a good STR or DEX if you're a pussy and CON, since your DC isn't as integral to your role as with a Monk. Your spell slots can go to smites or the smite spells, maybe Bless or something, making CHA not as important to you as WIS is to Monks. And you can wear Heavy Armour and a shield, so your AC isnt reliant on having another stat up.
>>
>>53535550
Difficult to say since all of them scale with level, but I'd only place them around 3rd at most.
>>
Which is better, a teleport of 30' within vision, or 30' flight speed for a turn?
>>
>>53535594
As in you only fly for 30' then
have to land? Or are you comparing Fly to Misty Step? Because it's all situational.
>>
>>53535622
Yes, flying for just one turn.
>>
How do dragons feel about dragonborn?
>>
>>53535319
>>53535553
Butting in here but
Paladin is the most MAD
Monk is the most AD
Monk is still very MAD, however.
A typical paladin has use for all but one stat, whereas a monk has use for only three stats and barely needs the rest ever.
Monk, however, depends very heaviily on the stats it wants.
>>
>>53535553
Monk really only needs Wisdom and Dexterity, with Constitution as tertiary and no more important to them than to a rogue or bard. A d8 hit die means that you're not intended to be a frontline fighter. Your speed coupled with the fact that everyone in 5e has Spring Attack means your role is to get in, land blows (especially stunning ones), and leave before your opponent has a chance to counter-attack; or else get around meat-shields to get to targets that are even more fragile than you, like enemy spellcasters. The main thing you have to watch out for is opportunity attacks, but since you have a high AC from both Dex and Wis and the ability to spend ki to disengage, that shouldn't be too much of a problem (though dipping two levels in rogue in order to pick up the ability to Disengage without spending ki is advisable).

Plus, you're proficient with simple weapons which simultaneously essentially all gain the Finesse property, and the monk's Martial Arts does not limit you to melee *attacks*, only melee *weapons*, meaning there's no reason why you shouldn't be loading up on daggers, hammers, or spears to throw at people.

I think the big issue with the monk is everyone expects it to be a front-line fighter, but that's not what it's designed to be.
>>
Has anyone here ever run a campaign with the Honor ability score included?

I'm thinking about using it for paladins or dedicated "knight" style players, and also for tricksters and rogues who don't care much for it, and giving out some neat bonuses as a roleplay incentive.
>>
>>53535692
Depends on the dragon. Some of them might think of them as cute and tolerable if they stay out of their way. Others might think of them as abominations. Others might want them as warriors and soldiers.
>>
>>53535692
"Huh, marginally tougher and larger kobolds. Neat."
>>
>>53535800
If you're implementing an extra stat, I'd suggest having it available to everyone, no matter the class. Also, what's to stop you from granting XP bonuses to people for good RP anyways?
>>
>>53535692
"Well I guess that's what happens when enough dragons and adventurers settle disputes with sex, neat."
>>
>>53536019
Sure, I guess, but then the campaign would be overshadowed by the need to act honorably or dishonorably. Eh. I probably won't include it.

And I already do things like that.
>>
>>53536034
>ragons and adventurers settle disputes with sex
This doesn't happen.
>>
>>53536123
It can if you have 20 charisma and a horny bard.
>>
>>53536123
I'm...working on that. Basically a 5e version of the Book of Erotic Fantasy/Guide to Carnal Knowledge/etc.

It's weird, because I've never ERP'd, I've never had any desire to ERP, but a few weeks ago I posted how I would deal with sex in a 5e game if forced to in another thread dedicated to that, and now I'm 11 pages into a 5e Guide to Sex.
>>
>>53536166
Roll a 1d20 for length and girth.

Halflings have to use a 1d10.
>>
>>53536205
Oh God, no, I'm not going to FATAL levels of detail. The entire theme of 5e is KISS, after all ("Keep it simple, stupid"). The most I get for that is this:

>If your sexual partner is two or more size categories larger or smaller than you, you have disadvantage on checks to satisfy them. Further, males cannot physically penetrate (and therefore can’t impregnate) creatures more than two size categories smaller than them without also killing them, and even creatures one size category smaller than them are at risk – for each minute of penetrative sex a larger male has with a smaller creature, that creature must make a DC 15 Constitution saving throw or gain 1 level of exhaustion.
>>
File: 1411626122428.png (716KB, 595x881px) Image search: [Google]
1411626122428.png
716KB, 595x881px
I want to allow spell points as sorcerery points for Sorcerers, but I don't want even more SorcLocks, or PalaSorcs. Has anyone actually used the point system? I've thought about just making it spell points while single classed, and spell slots while multiclassed.
>>
>>53536271
>Further, males cannot physically penetrate (and therefore can’t impregnate) creatures more than two size categories smaller than them without also killing them
Should say "taking damage, potentially killing them" instead.
>>
>>53536298
I just use the normal spell slot rules but allow a character to increase their upper limit through quest rewards and magic items. A simple magic item could be a necklace that stores 1 spell slot worth of arcane energies.

If they have a deity or patron you can just have it be a "blessing" gifted by them to explain it, or if you have a bloodline in the case of a sorcerer you can justify an increase by saying that he "draws out" his inner-strength or something.

This should always be a plot point for the character and shouldn't be given easily but it can be fun.
>>
>>53536271
You wouldn't happen to have some tips on fucking a young male green dragon, would you?
>>
>>53536299
If you like, though that just leads me to think about how much damage a schlong should deal, a question I never thought I'd ask and really don't want to answer.
>>
>>53536394
1d4
>>
>>53536271
>>53536166
>>53536123
>>53536299
>Should say "taking damage, potentially killing them" instead.

That makes a lot more sense, I can see a particularly frisky giant managing to get some of himself inside a Gnome, but it's not going to be pleasant.

Y'all should just go by canonical Pathfinder rules as ordained by the Mask of the Demon Mother; a creature can comfortably have sex with a creature within one size category of itself. This means Halfling and Human, Woman and Horse, etc. etc.
>>
>>53535073
Glassblowing Unleashed
>>
>>53536394
d4 damage if you're medium. Treat anything above that as a giant weapon and up the damage by one dice.

Large
>2d4

Huge
>3d4

If you have tavern brawler, you can attempt to grapple when you attack

If you're a monk, then...
>>
>>53536390
1/2

The base DC to seduce an NPC for sex is calculated using their ability scores, as follows:

>Base Seduction DC = ([Strength or Dexterity (DM’s choice)] + Constitution + Charisma) ÷ 3) + 5

For example, a typical human (10 in every ability) has a seduction DC of 15. A character with 17 Strength, 14 Constitution, and 8 Charisma has a Seduction DC of 18. This DC is meant to represent the fact that the more desirable a person is (represented by a combination of their physical appearance and personal magnetism), the higher standards they tend to have concerning the people who come up to them and try to convince them to get into bed with them.

The base DC presented above is then modified according to the NPC’s sexual orientation, presented on the table below. The DM can choose the NPC’s orientation or determine it randomly, at their discretion.

>NPC Orientation (d20)
>1-6: Exclusively heterosexual. Will not have sex with someone of the same sex
>7-10: Generally hetero. +5 to Seduction DC if the seducer is the same sex
>11-13: Usually hetero. +2 to Seduction DC if the seducer is the same sex
>14-15: Bisexual. No modifier
>16-17: Usually homo. +2 to Seduction DC if the seducer is of the opposite sex
>18-19: Generally homo. +5 to Seduction DC if the seducer is of the opposite sex
>20: Exclusively homosexual. Will not have sex with someone of the same sex.

This formula presumes that the NPC is themselves amenable to getting laid, though not necessarily by the player character making the check, and must be wined and dined through Persuasion or Deception checks (player’s choice), made over the course of 1d4 hours. A particularly horny NPC might decide to lower his or her standards, which decreases the DC by 5. Conversely, an NPC might not be looking for any sex at all, which raises the DC by 5. An NPC may also simply choose to want or not want to have sex, in which case no roll is required: the seduction simply automatically succeeds or fails.
>>
File: 1442190675946.png (84KB, 599x717px) Image search: [Google]
1442190675946.png
84KB, 599x717px
>>53536390
>You wouldn't happen to have some tips on fucking a young male green dragon, would you?

Not him, but who's the one being penetrated? If you're playing a woman that wants some Dragonseed spraying all over her insides, realize a Young Green is size Large, which a humanoid woman *can* comfortably (and I use comfortably in the sense you won't get perforations or death) accept inside her. To fuck a Young Green is as simple as letting them mount you.

If the Young Green is taking you from behind, however, I'd suggest something for your back; the dragon's going to have their belly on you, and those scales are abrasive.
>>
>>53536463
2/2

YOU’RE NOT MY TYPE
Certain NPCs cannot be seduced for various reasons, as outlined below. Any attempt to seduce these NPCs automatically fails.

>Animal Intelligence
A creature of the beast type, or any other creature without any sapience (subject to DM discretion) can’t be seduced, no matter how hard you try and even if you’re a druid.

>Asexual
If the DM wants, each time he rolls a d20 to determine an NPC’s sexual orientation, he can also roll another d20. If both d20s result in a natural 20, then the NPC is asexual – they lack a desire for sex altogether.

>Orientation
As outlined on the table above, some NPCs are completely heterosexual or homosexual; as a result, attempts to seduce them by the conflicting sex fail.

>Youth
An NPC who is not an adult by the physical standards of his or her race cannot be seduced, you sicko.
>>
>>53536390
Phandelver gone wild.

Venomfang shows an ancient dragon technique that turns acid into lube.

>>53536394
Up to 4 inches it's a 1d4.
Up to 8 inches it's a 1d8.
Up to 10 inches it's a 1d10.
Up to 12 inches it's a 1d12.
Anything larger is a 1d20.

All penetrations of a creature two sizes larger deals this damage every action and is treated as a critical hit (meaning you'd roll 2dx for every round of combat-sex). If you are reduced to 0 HP during intercourse you still have to make death saving throws but don't suffer any reductions for being "attacked" for the remainder of sex (meaning you don't suffer a 2x failure death saving throw for being schlonged).
>>
>>53535151
I'm currently playing an EK, and I'm not a huge fan of their bonus action economy being all over the fucking place.
>>
>>53536495
>>53536495
Also you add your strength AND dexterity modifier to all piercing damage dealt.
>>
>>53536463
>>53536476
>>53536490
You people are fucked up. tfw no campaign to fuck dragons in
>>
Every day we stray further from God's light.
>>
>>53536515 >>53536495 >>53536476 >>53536462 >>53536424 >>53536418

And here I was worried that /tg/ would ostracize me for working on this. Instead we only re-affirm that /tg/ is less a board in and of itself, and more just a place people hang out when not on /d/.

In complete honesty, /d/ has the nicest anons on it and, once you get past the fetishes, the ones that seem the most socially and mentally well-adjusted
>>
>>53536566
whatever you say, degenerate
>>
>>53536539
>that spoiler

Don't Metallics assume humanoid forms all the time? Doesn't seem odd for a high-level adventurer to wind up boning (or being boned) by a Silver.
>>
File: 1411586172069.jpg (160KB, 746x583px) Image search: [Google]
1411586172069.jpg
160KB, 746x583px
>>53536389
I already played the "buff the shitty guy with a boon/magic item" game. I don't want to do it again. I just want players to know what they're getting when they make a character.
>>
>>53536543
Ancient Israel had sacred prostitutes. Solomon had 300 wives and 600 concubines...and the Song of Solomon has some outright erotic stuff.

Read the Bible sometime.
>>
>>53535733
>and the monk's Martial Arts does not limit you to melee *attacks*, only melee *weapons*, meaning there's no reason why you shouldn't be loading up on daggers, hammers, or spears to throw at people.
You can also go Kensai and just use a longbow which is kinda weird since archery isn't generally associated with the warrior monk archetype in the west.
>>
>>53536611
Solomon sinned against the will of god. His son was even more degenerate and after Solomon died the kingdom fell apart.

Song of Solomon is actually sexual in an example to show how pure love between a husband and wife should be. It's meant to be a poetic example of how a man and woman should love one another and be satisfied and ravished in each other's love always, etc. You're making the mistake of thinking that sex is always sinful. It isn't except outside of marriage. God invented sex. Sex is great.

/tg/ is a christian board.
>>
>>53536566
I have my reasons, okay
>>
>>53536713
>/tg/ is a christian board.

Man, you are NOT going to like the 5e Guide to Sex.

>Evard’s Black Tentacles. When you cast this spell, you can choose to have it not deal any damage for its duration. If you do, its duration becomes 10 minutes. Creatures within the area of effect of the spell that have sex with the tentacles are automatically satisfied (no check required) at the end of the spell’s duration. You can also use the tentacles in this way to rape people, but as normal they’re not actually satisfied. Arigato, tako-sama.
>>
>>53536757
I never understood why people always act like tentacles are the best fucking thing to have stuffed up your holes. Is this the power of anime?
>>
File: 1465797815702.gif (512KB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
1465797815702.gif
512KB, 320x180px
>>53536123
>This doesn't happen

Only because you don't dream and put in the effort is why it doesn't happen.
>>
>>53536757
You realise that this needs a section on how to sucessfully enter a partner larger than yourself, right
>>
File: Untitled.png (896KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
896KB, 1366x768px
>>53536796
Pretty much, yeah. The power of anime cannot be denied. Also I am NOT taking this thing too seriously anyway.

>Find Traps. It doesn’t work like that. Sorry.
>>
>>53536849
I just cover it with "if the creature is two or more size categories larger or smaller than you, you have disadvantage on checks to satisfy them".

KISS principle, remember.
>>
File: 1379801729360.jpg (123KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1379801729360.jpg
123KB, 1000x1000px
>>53536874
>Also I am NOT taking this thing too seriously anyway.

Too many people do! There isn't anything sexy about tentacles!
>>
>Eat apple
>It's enlarge/reduce
>Eat berry
>It's enlarge/reduce
>Eat mushroom?
>Yep.
>The animals are walking upright and have clothes

Help, the feywild is Alice's wonderland.
>>
>>53536298
Maybe don't allow multiclassing?
>>
File: 1495575021252.jpg (85KB, 707x500px) Image search: [Google]
1495575021252.jpg
85KB, 707x500px
>modify a monster to make an encounter more challenging
>one of the players go UH IT CAN'T DO THAT
>>
>>53537275
>mine can.
>>
>>53537275
You have shit players. Just two weeks ago I had my players fight a swimming purple worm, and was explicit about the fact that it was a worm that traded its burrow for a swim speed (since D&D oddly lacks proper sea serpent monsters). None of them batted an eye.

Similarly they didn't mind when they fought gricks with Fire resistance instead of physical damage resistance.
>>
>>53537330
I made my goblins chuck spears instead of arrows for flavor, and I even removed the DEX modifier from the damage roll, and still I did something wrong.
I'm gonna kick that guy from the game.
>>
>>53531684
Conquest paladin?
>>
>>53537382
you should kick him in the face.
>>
>>53537382
Wait, all you did was change the WEAPON, and the guy flipped his shit?

Yeah, no, fuck that guy. Kick him from the game.
>>
File: War Chief.jpg (87KB, 776x1199px) Image search: [Google]
War Chief.jpg
87KB, 776x1199px
>>53537382
>tfw orcs use longbows in my setting
>>
>>53537531
My duergar use khopeshes, whips, nets, and man-catchers, since their entire culture is built around slaving.
>>
File: 1353145682136.png (67KB, 200x239px) Image search: [Google]
1353145682136.png
67KB, 200x239px
>>53537531
are the longbows strength based
>>
File: 1464241182092.jpg (27KB, 403x365px) Image search: [Google]
1464241182092.jpg
27KB, 403x365px
>>53537275
Jesus fucking Christ, BOTH of you are retards.

>Modified an encounter
Fine

>Did nothing to show or signify that this might be a bigger/different/tougher type of a certain kind of enemy
Why do DMs do this and then get blown out when players say 'wait what?' Like, unless you're dealing with completely new players, then they're going to have an idea of how things should generally work.

Maybe calling it out explicitly at the table during combat isn't the best idea, but it shows that you really haven't communicated with your players at all.
>>
>>53537637
Fuck that noise. Players shouldn't even fucking have access to the monster manual, it should be a goddamn mystery to them. Players that do know the monster manual should keep their fucking traps shut.
>>
>>53537637
maybe the players should stop being metagaming fucktards.
>>
>>53533521
Would be simpler to just have the Numbing Beam inflict the Paralyzed condition after it reaches its limit.

Cool pic and lore though.
>>
File: 1496182623630.jpg (227KB, 1124x960px) Image search: [Google]
1496182623630.jpg
227KB, 1124x960px
>>53537637
>The goblin throws it's spear at yo- NO IT CAN'T DO THAT IT SAYS RIGHT HERE SHORTBOW ATTACK
I will kill every single player with a MM, starting with you. Sleep with one eye open my friend.
>>
>>53537578
Nah, still Dex. Does 1 less damage on average, but they have much greater range and I often have engagements take place at a distance anyway. It also gives me an excuse to use the Archer NPC from Volo's relatively often.
>>
>>53537637
>then they're going to have an idea of how things should generally work.

"Humanoid monsters can use different weapons than what's statted in the Monster Manual" should be mind-bogglingly obvious to players, something they don't even consider, let alone object to.
>>
>>53537673
Please see where I said "unless you're dealing with completely new players".

>players that know the monster manual should keep their traps shut
Fuck off. I've had to remind my DM about how monster abilities ACTUALLY work when they got them accidentally wrong, AND I've had DMs who would literally just change their stats on the fly to fuck players over. Either way, it's fairly important for a player to know their monster manual and say something when they know it's wrong. That's how you keep your DM honest.

>>53537673
1.) That's not metagaming. Metagaming would be using your OOC knowledge of a statblock to exploit a monster's weakness that you wouldn't know IC.

2.) Maybe you should stop being a bad DM and learn to communicate with your players beyond HURR RULE 0.

>>53537736
Man, is it hard being illiterate? Because you must be if you missed where I clearly said it's FINE TO MODIFY ENCOUNTERS.

Neck yourself.

>>53537768
When did the guy ever say that it was about humanoid monsters using different kinds of weapons? He just said he made an encounter more challenging.
>>
>>53537637
I literally have never used the monster manual in this edition a single time.

Actually, that's not true, I looked at the pictures and I've read the entries for regional effects from legendary monsters, for reference.
>>
>>53537859
And then he specified that it was specifically that he gave goblins spears instead of bows, here: >>53537382
>>
>>53537859
>I've had to remind my DM
That's considered a bad thing you know.
>>
File: whentheDMsmiles.jpg (146KB, 660x751px) Image search: [Google]
whentheDMsmiles.jpg
146KB, 660x751px
Your party is wounded and loudly stumbling around in a dangerous dungeon infested with hostile creatures.

You give them clear direction that going left will lead them to the exit, or they can go right into the lair of the creature guarding the treasure.

They go right into the boss room despite failing stealth rolls and being heavily injured.

What do they find?
>>
>>53537926
Trouble
>>
File: S7zCeIe.gif (2MB, 480x320px) Image search: [Google]
S7zCeIe.gif
2MB, 480x320px
>>53537926
>>
>>53537926
A huge monster that drops down from the ceiling to block the way out and then TPK.
>>
File: 1492119069308.jpg (41KB, 600x416px) Image search: [Google]
1492119069308.jpg
41KB, 600x416px
>>53537926
A minotaur skeleton with the stat block changed, abilities from other creatures, armor making it no longer vulnerable to bludgeoning oh and death. Then again the exit is right there they can run any time
>>
>>53537926
A wondeful pile of treasure, unguarded!
Chest mimic, gold mimic, weapon mimic, door mimic, cave mimic.
>>
File: 1495767143787.png (13KB, 192x180px) Image search: [Google]
1495767143787.png
13KB, 192x180px
>>53537918
Yeah, well, that happens when you're the most veteran player in a game of almost all new people and you want to actually play the game for once.

>>53537917
Really? I'm surprised you can tell considering both are anonymous posts.

Even if they are the same poster, my point still stands seeing as I was replying to the idea he stated in his original post and taking nothing he posted afterward into account, which is that he should have communicated to his players that this monster is somehow different and more challenging than the garden variety average of that kind of monster found in the MM.

AND the second post is incongruous with the first. The first guy said he modified an encounter to be more challenging. Post two says he changed out some goblin's gear for flavour.
>>
>>53535437
>With 2d6 and 3 attacks, you already come pretty close to GWM, 2d8 would make you JUST under it.
...and that makes it a problems because...?

In fact, that sounds like it is perfectly balanced.
>>
>>53538097
Fuck off with your thread consuming mental gymnastics. Read the thread before posting next time, and you won't have to stand on your head and make a million posts defending your dumb ass.
>>
>>53537275
As long as:
1. You're not playing a preset module and completely misunderstanding the monsters contained within
2. You're not homebrewing up shit monster homebrews that don't make sense
3. You're consistent (This should be done even if it's not from the monster manual)
4. You provide information that clues into the monster's abilities (This should be done even if it's from the monster manual)

Then everything is as intended. What's the problem? Do you have to give your players a bestiary at the start of the game or they're not happy?
>>
>>53538153
Whoops, 3. should be 'even if it's from the monster manual' not 'even if it's not'

The same practices and principles apply to both monster manual monsters and homemade ones. The only difference is if a preset module that isn't intended to be changed (Adventurer's League?) or something specifically mentions a certain monster, because it intends for it to be that monster.
>>
File: 1478971878464.png (70KB, 199x224px) Image search: [Google]
1478971878464.png
70KB, 199x224px
>>53538065
This one got me.
>>
>>53536271
>and therefore can’t impregnate
That's not how pregnancy works.
>>
File: 3rd party splats.jpg (558KB, 1280x1796px) Image search: [Google]
3rd party splats.jpg
558KB, 1280x1796px
>>53538065
>cave mimic
atrocious
>>
>>53536394
3d4 obviously.
>>
>>53538097
I'm sorry for confusing you I gave the goblin archers javelins and the goblin chargers battleaxes
>>
File: 1492961732877.jpg (55KB, 492x675px) Image search: [Google]
1492961732877.jpg
55KB, 492x675px
>>53537926
The most hellish parkour challenge ever seen.

Like ninja warrior except 50x worse.
>>
>>53538097
>Yeah, well, that happens when you're the most veteran player in a game of almost all new people and you want to actually play the game for once.
>Corrects the DM mid game grinding it to a halt
>Uses OOC knowledge of what a creature can and should do

Doesn't really sound like you want to play m8
>>
>>53538361
Not them but I get it too. If the DM doesn't know how to DM and you know 5e inside out, it's aggravating seeing people being told they can't do things they should be allowed to do or being allowed to do things they really shouldn't be allowed to do. It feels like you're being cheated at every step.
The most polite thing, however, is to wait until after the session.
>>
>>53538361
No the GM has to play RIGHT!

Which of course means, exactly the way he would do it with no deviations whatsoever.
>>
>>53538272
that's kind of hot.
Ahem
Not that I'd include that in a campaign.
>>
File: 1493554911500.jpg (15KB, 238x192px) Image search: [Google]
1493554911500.jpg
15KB, 238x192px
>>53538396
>"I would like to pick up my sword"
>"Ok you pick up your sword with your bonus action"
>>
>>53538440
what's wrong with that?

made you look
>>
>>53538258
I suppose theoretically by sheer volume or force you might still be able to impregnate someone you can't actually penetrate, but it would be reasonably unlikely, and again, I'm trying to keep things simple.
>>
>>53534841
Do you actually draw a focus? I thought the rule is to have a hand free so you can access your materials.
>>
File: 1490769137209.jpg (69KB, 609x720px) Image search: [Google]
1490769137209.jpg
69KB, 609x720px
>>53538135
>damage controlling this hard after being so wrong.

>>53538281
OK. I mean, you're perfectly within your right as DM to do that, but as >>53538153 and I have both said, clear communication that these aren't your run of the mill goblins should probably be included in your description (though just changing their weapons doesn't really make them any harder as an encounter).

I do agree that it's a little unreasonable for a player to be up-in-arms over something like that.

>>53538361
Yeah, man, because reminding my DM that a Flind's flail are three separate attacks and effects means I must just want to back seat DM, right? It has nothing to do with not wanting to get one-shotted.
>>
>>53538396
I get that but the issue comes in with a secondhand DM, and from cock sleeves posts that what he seems to be.

You should be allowed and encouraged to talk to the DM after or before a session if there are issues or you would like to try and clarify something.
>>
>>53538558
From your posts that seems to be exactly it, you have no ability to communicate without being a fuck stick about it.

Also to take a page from your own book, I'm ignoring that clarification on arbitrary grounds to talk about the original point.
>>
Reposting from a few days ago. I'm incorporating magic items that grow with the user. Here's one:

>Water-related-thing Spear-lance-whatever
(Pike, requires attunement)
Looks like greenish bronze that was found underwater. Has holes in its tip which hold liquids like a pen with ink.

>Starting properties
The wielder never has to make any checks due to being on a wet surface (such as an acrobatics check not to fall).
Whenever this weapon is wet, it deals 1 extra point of damage.

>If the wielder has a proficiency bonus of at least +4
The damage increases to 1d6.

>If the wielder has the polearm master feat
Whenever you hit with the Attack of Oportunity from someone entering your reach, you may move the creature 5ft to the left or to the right, as long as it’s medium or smaller

>If the wielder has the great weapon master feat
Whenever you take the -5 penalty on your attack roll, if that attack hits, you may cause the opponent to bleed out. This effect works like a bearded devil’s glaive.

>If the McGuffin is placed on its shaft
The weapon now lets you cast the following spells (DC 15):
Tidal Wave 1/day
Control Water 1/week
Tsunami - once. This can be recharged by a caster (who can use this spell) spending an 8th level or higher spell slot for five consecutive days.

>If the wielder drowns
The wielder can cast Water Breathing as a ritual.

Now, I'd like your opinions on one thing, guys: If they never do the McGuffin quest (which is quite possible), would the item be too underwhelming? Are there any properties that seem off (too weak or too strong)?
>>
>>53538542
The spell focus replaces components if there is no listed cost for them, so if you are using the focus at all you don't need them. It's supposed to represent things like a wand or staff I think. Clerics can have their holy symbol emblazoned on their shield
>>
>>53535180
Warlocks are limited by their spell list a great deal. Giving them more 5th level spells than anyone else by far is hardly noticeable when they aren't casting spells like spirit guardians, bigby's hand, flaming sphere, or wall of force with them. They're casting hex and hellish rebuke.
>>
>>53538633
Rituals take several minutes to cast so that probably wouldn't help much. Or did you mean it as something like "if the wielder ever drowns, they gain the ability to cast Water Breathing as a ritual afterward"?
>>
>>53538272
Source
>>
>>53535319
They both use an ability to fight, but paladin's get damage bonuses that temper their need for Str, cha benefits are entirely gravy, and they have better hit dice and lay on hands to mitigate lower con. Paladins need str/cha/con, but monks need each of dex/wis/con more. Monk is needing the better stats at least, while a paladin dumping dex and wis could suffer for it.

Maybe it's actually kind of balanced folks.
>>
File: 1491581277676.png (20KB, 524x420px) Image search: [Google]
1491581277676.png
20KB, 524x420px
>>53538623
The original point where I said that I had to remind my DM how the ability works?

So you're going to ignore the clarification (fine, turnabout or whatever, even though my grounds were not arbitrary and the clarification did not defeat my argument nor reduce my point) of reminding my DM that a Flind's Flail of Madness, Pain, and Paralysis are three seperate abilities and not rider effects on one attack, to debate my ORIGINAL point of...reminding my DM of how a monster's attack actually works.

You also seem to be conflating the fact that I am a fuck-stick when communicating to YOU into that I am a fuck-stick when communicating with everyone, which is incorrect.
>>
>>53538623
>>53538757
Alright ladies, listen up, we're going to do this by the book to settle this dispute, alright?

Roll initiative and post AC. I want a good clean fight.
>>
>>53538730
Afterwards, as long as he's attuned.
>>
File: Nathan+Drake.jpg (15KB, 219x240px) Image search: [Google]
Nathan+Drake.jpg
15KB, 219x240px
Do you give any sort of high ground bonus for your players/npcs?

/tv/ memes aside.
>>
>>53538821
and alive
>>
>>53538846
depending on height difference and terrain, I'll give them cover.
>>
>>53538757
>Has been a fuck stick in communicating to everyone in the thread
>No really trust me I'm not normally like that

Without evidence to the contrary I will go with your actions instead of your assurances.

Also the original point was how DMsabsolutely have to describe any differences, which is false if in this setting trolls regeneration isn't stopped by fire there's no need for a description to indicate or signify it's different. Why because the characters are in the setting and therefore their knowledge is what should be used not OOC knowledge.

The next point you issued was such a broad blanket statement that it shouldn't have been included if you weren't going to provide an example right after.
>>
Is there anything about which races are usually, or better suited, to which classes?
>>
>>53538952
no because the rest of us aren't fucking retarded and can guess that a race with +2 Str is probably a good race for barbarians.
>>
>>53536633
There's always that one side character with a bow though. And it is becoming commonly known that samurai used bows, for example.
>>
File: 1468149210208.png (1MB, 1919x816px) Image search: [Google]
1468149210208.png
1MB, 1919x816px
>>53538846
If they're using a ranged attack from especially high ground (i.e., a watchtower) I just let them double their dex or spell casting modifier to-hit while they're in-range.

If an enemy within 20 feet leaps into melee range while the defender has the high ground the defender gets to perform an attack on them with advantage as a reaction.
>>
>>53538969

No need to be a benis, there are a few races that are really good despite attribute bonuses.

You know, like FUCKING VARIANT HUMAN

don't be a cunt
>>
>>53539016
>don't be a cunt
make me.
>You know, like FUCKING VARIANT HUMAN
you mean that race that gets to put its stat bonus wherever the hell it wants?

It's not fucking rocket surgery, the "best" race for any given class is one that gets bonuses to that class's main stats.
>>
Any other imputs on this, guys?

>>53538633
>>
File: 1495514993882.jpg (12KB, 250x240px) Image search: [Google]
1495514993882.jpg
12KB, 250x240px
>>53539016
>>53539047
>>53538969
>>53538952
>>
>>53539047

Variant Human gets +1 to two different stats.

By your resounding logic, that's worse than a Dwarf which gets +2 to Str and Con

It's not.
>>
>>53538633
Sounds fine but leave a spot open for the player themselves to customize (or ask them if they have a request after a while of using it).

Only thing I would otherwise say is what was already mentioned about the "water breathing as ritual" thing.
>>
>>53539070
Oh there will be, except it'll be for eternity with no escape.
>>
>>53539070
kill yourself and find out.
>>53539074
>By your resounding logic, that's worse than a Dwarf which gets +2 to Str and Con
i said "one that gets bonuses to that class's main stats."
I never said "that gets +2 to it's stat bonuses" my logic is fine, human and dwarf, getting bonuses to Str/CON make better barbarians than tieflings who do not get those bonuses.

and before you go ahead and try it
>no because the rest of us aren't fucking retarded and can guess that a race with +2 Str is probably a good race for barbarians.

is still objectively true, I didn't say "best" I said "good"
>>
>>53539064
Try next thread were busy shitposting and being asshats to each other. Because it's fun
>>
>>53539281

New thread leave your pissing matches here
>>
>>53538739
https://exhentai.org/g/958080/daf92851f0/
>>
>>53539199
It's cool, some people have answered nicely.
>>
>>53537859
You sound like a faggot holy shit.

I take notes from the MM and nothing else. I don't give a fuck if the players are new or not. If anything, I am more likely to diverge from the norm to fuck over the retarded faggots who memorized the MM.

That group of Goblins with quality and customized armour, and actually nice looking weapons? Hint for the mentally retarded: Their individual CR is not below 1.

If you assume all goblins are EXACTLY THE SAME stat wise, you should neck yourself and save the human race from your staggering stupidity.
>>
>>53531197
make his soul be cursed so that if he dies he will come back as a powerful asmodeus's slave to kill the party or to be an import character in the campaign.
would be neat your party having to kill their old partner.
>>
>>53537859
>That's how you keep your DM honest.

You don't "keep" your DM honest. This isn't a fucking blackjack game in which he's the dealer. You trust that your DM has the best interests of the game at heart, and if you find he isn't doing a satisfactory job you leave.

Let the DM do his fucking job, which may very well include fudging the rules as he sees fit.
>>
i wish i had frends to play this shit
can only dream
maybe in college i get along with some nerdys
>>
>>53540224
College worked for me in that respect, anon. Also try playing online, you'll run into plenty of shitters, but make connections with the people you find yourself enjoying games with, and work to include them in future games.
>>
>>53535073
Cooking and cobbler's tools.
Thread posts: 357
Thread images: 37

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.