[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

That Guy/DM thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

File: Bob Hoskins Brazil.jpg (405KB, 1170x664px) Image search: [Google]
Bob Hoskins Brazil.jpg
405KB, 1170x664px
>playing 5e
>usually DM but my brother is DMing his own game
>I invited him to one of my games once but seeing as he was a cunt I never invited him again
>never actually been a player before as I'm forever DM
>create a level 1 half orc fighter
>we are playing mines of phandelver
>half the team are extraordinary OP homebrew classes
>one is a "dragon rider" with a young dragon
>the other is some mystic homebrew before mystic UA came out
>the other is a ranger
>during a battle I capture a goblin and he leads me to his base
>he tells me how to get to the boss and I tie him up and leave him in the wagon
>I take a shortcut climbing a wall to get directly to the boss and tell the team to follow me
>they insist that they want to explore the cave first
>I tell them that it's better to deal with the hard hitters first
>I climb up on my own
>boss is a bug bear
>he asks what I'm doing here
>try to convince him that I've come here to join his gang
>speaking in goblinoid to hopefully make my story more believable
>DM starts arguing with me about how no one would belive that I'm here to help if I snuck in though an emergency exit and that they would be suspisious that I even found their base
>tell him that I could just say that a friend of one of the goblins that works for him could have told me
>he gets upset and says whatever anyway I'm not going to let you fuck up the story
>bug bear attacks me
>I call for help and only one team mate (the mystic) comes to help me so he can be a condesending prick to me
>he damages it a lot but gets knocked out and I finish the boss off
>we finish playing there
>the whole team start telling me off for taking the route the goblin I captured told me when they said they weren't coming with
>the only person that isn't a dick to me is the person with the dragon.
>>
>>53520135
>5e
>half the team are extraordinary OP homebrew classes

sounds about right
>>
>>53520135
i mean, your gm isnt wrong. Who wouldnt be suspicious about somebody sneaking into their base?
>>
File: 1495407706672.jpg (80KB, 600x595px) Image search: [Google]
1495407706672.jpg
80KB, 600x595px
Would have set a DC 25 bluff check for that shit

looks like you are playing with a bunch of faggots and you too
>>
>>53520135
Who is supposed to be That Guy in this situation?
>>
>>53520135
I need your help /tg/ a player applied for my group and the character he sent in kinda shows that guy red flags.

He is:
>ignoring half of the rules and dependencies in the rulebook and basically cheats himself massive advantages.
>minmaxing without a roleplay concept just chosing the biggest numbers in everything
>haircolor: black & blond
>eyecolor: blue with golden stars in the iris

Should I accept? I'm not sure if point 1 & 2 is actually a thing he said it wasn't intentional but it's the third time he "accidentaly" slips in errors.
>>
>>53520967
Dont accept, he's probably going to be a That Guy
>>
>>53520820
The DM was right to have the bugbear be suspicious, but he could have at least had the guy roll bluff with disadvantage or something instead of outright being 'no, muh story!'

>>53520135
While you seem to enjoy creative solutions and more sequence breaking, everyone else wants to do a more hack & slash by the book campaign. You're just not a good fit for this group
>>
>>53520967
No. At best, he's an idiot and not a cheater, but he's still making a min-maxed special snowflake.
>>
>Be DM
>Party is 5 PCs
>PC's go to the town jail looking for an NPC they believe to be locked up.
>rouge in the party is known around town and is wary about going inside, so she and the monk elect to poke around the jail's exterior while the other 3 go inside.
>me "ok, we'll do the 3 inside first and come back to you guys"
>about a few minutes into the party split, the rogue gets up from the table, walks into the kitchen, and lays down on the ground to play with the host's dog.
>me: "can you come back to the table?"
>rogue: "I will when it's my turn"
>me: "if I get to the point where the focus is on you and you're not at the table, I'm moving forward with just the monk at that point, and your character will come back when the party comes together again"

I'm new to DMing so I'm constantly trying to avoid being That DM because MY first DM was that DM and it almost ruined the game for me, but I found this to be extremely rude and I honestly couldn't think of a better way to handle it in the moment. Was I being That DM here?

And more importantly, was there a better way I could have handled the situation? Or that I can address it to prevent it from being a big deal in the future?
>>
>>53523711
I would slap her if she pulled out shit like "but my character wasn't there, so I don't need to know what happened". This means that everyone would need to explain everything that happened, instead of just saying "I explain to them what happened when we were split". Waste of fucking time, could be easily avoided, but no, the bitch didn't want to sit there for 10 minutes.

The dog wasn't nailed to the floor, why not call it to her and keep listening to the story?
>>
>>53520135
I'm sorry to hear that your creative choices upset your shit dm and mary sue companions. I hope your next session is better, and if not, I hope that you have the sense to drop that crew.
>>
>>53520967
Ask him about said red flags and mistakes. See how he responds and go from there. Likely you should drop him, but he might just be unfamiliar with the rules and like anime which could both be addressed pretty easily.
>>
>>53523711
Just ask them to do it near enough to hear the story.
>>
>>53520903
The OP is. Because of course it is. Whenever the OP of a That Guy/That GM thread starts off with a story, odds are better than 50/50 that he is unknowingly That Guy. It's some form of universal irony, I think, kind of like a grammar nazi writing something incorrect in their rant about proper grammar.

Oh, don't think I pegged this OP as that guy immediately, I didn't! 50/50 still has a chance. But nope, he split from the party, he thinks he should be able, as a human, to convince a bugbear smart enough to find him coming up his escape hatch suspicious that he isn't there to kill them, he's the one judging the other players immediately upon seeing they do things differently, he's That Guy.
>>
>>53523711
I get it. I recently had a surgery that meant for a few months it was WAY more comfortable to stand up and move around every few minutes than continue sitting. I stayed close by, within the same room, and paying attention. Maybe other than the first time, I think I was still on painkillers first session after the surgery...
>>
my best friend of ~20 years is dming a campaign and is the definition of that dm
His dmpc is a better fighter than the fighter, knows more about magic than the wizard, more about religion than the monk, and more about everything else than the bard.
The first time he's introduced it's to "save" us from an encounter that he's admitted to going into having already decided we lost
The second time he's literally surrounded by dozens of dead enemies and "decapitates the last three in one swing" as soon as we show up
>>
I have a burning question. Is the character I'm planning to run for an upcoming game That Guy material?

We're playing in a Victorian England and basically he's a standard dick ass thief character except he's actually 13 and a little Oliver Twist style urchin boy. Basically he's a little troublemaker but he'd never instigate anything much worse than stealing the silverware and embroiling himself in low-stakes antics.
>>
>>53526370
Depends entirely on how annoying yippy play him but he certainly has the potential
>>
>>53526370
Depends if you steal from the party or not.
>>
>>53526414
I was planning to keep it pretty low key in that department. Mostly just playing off the fish out of water angle as everyone else seems to be bringing a character with at least some level of class
>>53526416
Worst offense might be trying to make off with all the cutlery in a burlap sack. None of that "I pickpocket my friend and take all of her jewelry/weapons/etc."
>>
>>53526451
Then just play the adorable scamp of a character you've described. Avoid lolrandom shit and it'll be fine.
>>
>>53523711
I could understand if you're a real stickler about meta gaming knowledge, since the best way to make sure you aren't mixing things you do and don't know is to not hear things your character shouldn't. But if you don't really care, or intended in having the party relay the info without any obstacles, then it was pretty rude to just leave like that.
>>
>>53520135
>Female player
>Wants to be one of those none-deistic clerics
>Worships the concept of "Ubershit".
>Has her cleric wandering around talking about poop all the time.
>Tries to fit in spells that for some reason or another she aligns with feces
>Puts on this weird face and says how "all must hail the MIGHTY UBERSHIT" in a forced monotone
>Occasionally brings pictures of turds in toilets or being held by people as her "character's devotional icons".

I keep asking the GM to kick her, but no luck yet.
>>
>>53527090
What the fuck am I reading?
>>
>>53520135
You appear to have joined a group that thinks 5e is pathfinder. Next time you play, what you do is leave early, barricade the houses and burn it down.

That'll learn then.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.