[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/40krpg/ 40k Roleplay General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 322
Thread images: 36

File: Tgdhcover.jpg (73KB, 383x498px) Image search: [Google]
Tgdhcover.jpg
73KB, 383x498px
"Praise the God-Emperor and Pass the Ammunition" Edition

For all your questions on Dark Heresy (1st and 2nd Editions), Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade, and Only War.
Not the wargame, not Chapter Master, not Space Hulk. Inquisitor is okay, but not many people know about it.

Not sure between starting Dark Heresy 1e and 2e? Pick 2e.

>Why did FFG lose the 40k RPG License?
Because they were bought by Asmodee and that caused some sort of licensing conflict.

>Will GW make their own 40k RPGs now?
Probably not. But if they do it will likely be worse than you could possibly imagine.

>Where did the Mandragora Apocrypha go?
The namefag working on it has fucked off to finish it in peace after our autists yelled at him over the unfinished version they found.

Book Repositories (If you're planning to download any Rogue Trader materials, read the .txt file in the RT directory)
https://mega.nz/#F!Pl0UgbJa!vDtTXMKnvZ26fUbuw4X9tg

There is a new Homebrew Megafolder option in above MEGA directory containing several things.

40K RPG tools, a site that contains stats or references for almost all weapons, armor and NPCs/adversaries. Not updated past DH2 core.
http://www.40krpgtools.com/

40k RPG Combined Armory (v6.48.161023), containing every piece of gear in all five lines. Now includes all DH2e books.
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/i3akv9qx9q05z

Mars Needs Women! (v1.2.15) (Mechanicus Skitarii and Taghmata for Only War)
http://www.mediafire.com/file/w1d6aq5cdr6anmh

Fear and Loathing in the Eastern Fringe (V1.6.4) (Playable Xenos for Rogue Trader)
http://www.mediafire.com/download/fjhddohpscx1d7x

The Fringe is Yours! (v1.8.13) (More Xenos, Knights, and Horus Heresy gear for Rogue Trader)
http://www.mediafire.com/file/d28i243u2k7di3z

Previous: >>53451008

What's the worst situation you/your players have been in and somehow survived?
>>
>catholic

Where are all the cats in 40k anyway? Did they snort them all already?
>>
Any updates on possibilities with the new WHFrpg publisher?
>>
>>53514249
>What's the worst situation you/your players have been in and somehow survived?

alone on a lost world, abandoned by the voidship that brought us, at the start of a tyranid invasion, personally being hunted by a psychic flying hive tyrant on fire with fate points, while DH1 rank 6.
>>
>>53514249
I dont know anything about the lore. Is this a good system? Can I DM this only by reading the manual without an idea about the whole lore of WH40k
>>
>>53514545

Yes. the official setting is 200 years before the nucanon catastrophe
>>
>>53514561
So the game is before most of the canon happens? Cool
>>
>>53514590
No, it's actually after, there is a fuckton of content and the last bit of it is really new and not really much developed yet, dark heresy is set before that
>>
>>53514837

Dude. Nucanon is 000M42. RPGs are 815M41. 200 years between official GIG canon and makebelieve GW nucanon
>>
>>53515177

between official FFG canon*
>>
>>53514545
Yes and no. I'd recommend getting at least the basics down before you start going through the rulebooks, otherwise you may end up getting confused. That said, it is still theoretically possible.
>>
>>53514561
>>53514837
>>53515177
Well. This seems confusing
>>
>>53515515
It's not. 40k is a setting. The "present" of the setting used to be 999.M41, but GW has started pushing the timeline forward because enough autists screeched about wanting a story instead of a setting.
The stories that take place in Dark Heresy, unless your GM decrees otherwise, takes place in the year 815.M41, which is about 200 years before 999.M41

What's there not to get?
>>
>>53515177
yes, but >>53514590
was under the impression that because it's set before nucanon then there is not much lore to learn. and this is false
>>
>>53515515
If you dig through all the back story, there is a fuck ton of canon. Most of the canon is back story. However most of the events that are centered around the wargame and the newest releases for said wargame happen almost 200 years later than the canon RPG setting.
>>
>>53515515
Essentially Games Workshop advance the Timeline a little bit with every new release of an army or edition. The RPGs are set in the 800th year of the 41st Millennium while the tabletop wargame has reached the 42nd Millennium. Nothing stopping you from setting your game whenever you want really, you'd just need to do a little bit of homebrewing.
>>
>>53515570
Which is what you should be doing to be honest. GW gave us "more than a million worlds" and 10000 years of history specifically so that there is a capacity for near endless homebrewing. This idea I've seen spat around the other 40k threads of "Making Your Dudes is autism" is perhaps the clearest indictment of much of the modern 40k fanbase that there could be.
>>
>>53515621
Absolutely. My games are set around 480.M41. Got some little necrons waking up, Ork roks slinging about and Kaiju eating the Rimward edge of the sector. Some people get incredibly attached to their own interpretations that they forget it's just that, an interpretation.
>>
>>53515728
Yeah, I've pretty much the designated GM/40k dictionary of the group, but when someone steps up to GM I always tell them not to be afraid to do something unique or crazy because 40k it seems to me, especially classic 40k, is not so much a solid setting as much as it is an aesthetic. And so long as you fit that dark, regressive, gothic aesthetic, you can get away with just about anything.
>>
>>53515811
There's an author for Black Library who said something like that, I forget which one and I don't have the screencap.
>>
>>53514249
>What's the worst situation you/your players have been in and somehow survived?
A deathwatch party facing down a chaos lord. It literally came down to the next successful hit winning the battle between the last standing marine and the Chaos Lord.
>>
File: Genetor.jpg (149KB, 525x794px) Image search: [Google]
Genetor.jpg
149KB, 525x794px
Are there any good ways to build a Biologis Tech-Priest like a Genetor or something?

I'm thinking of building a Slaaneshi Heretek in my upcoming Black Crusade game, but it would be fun to have some more twisted things to do besides just being "The Flesh is Weak" to the extreme, and building a bunch of drug injectors into my body, and getting myself and my allies high as fuck.

I'm looking at making her into a sexy robotgirl, and really liking the look of the Blade-Tines, Nerve Induction Tines and Pheromone generators. Plus the whole fact that what every other 40KRPG book calls the "Medicae Mechandendrite" is called the "Medicae/Torture Mechadendrite" in this one.
>>
>>53517667

rogue trader into the storm genetor talents
>>
File: Heretex female.png (1MB, 620x1152px) Image search: [Google]
Heretex female.png
1MB, 620x1152px
>>53517680
Alright thanks, anyone got more Heretek art, or good cybernetics to look into getting for her?

Or sexy robot girl art
>>
>>53517962
If (and this is a real if, for several reasons) your GM lets you, try for a Sarcosan Wave/Field Generator
>>
>>53518105
Which book?
>>
>>53518140
Looking through, trying to figure that out. Pretty sure it's DH 1e, not sure which splatbook
>>
>>53518179
>>53518140
There are rules for an "Anima Aura" which uses the Sarcosan Generator, p. 46 of the Radical's Handbook (which, side note, is always a good place to look for Heretical stuff). I'd also recommend checking out Disciples of the Dark Gods and the Lathe Worlds if you plan on playing a Heretek (both DH 1e)
>>
File: 1496022125685.jpg (806KB, 2048x761px) Image search: [Google]
1496022125685.jpg
806KB, 2048x761px
Can you become an Obliterator in Black Crusade?
>>
File: Hollows.png (642KB, 530x784px) Image search: [Google]
Hollows.png
642KB, 530x784px
Alright guys, i need some help here.
As part of my Black Crusade campaign, i want my players to resolve the war in the Hollows, by siding with one of the forges and there for gaining them as an ally. Problem is, im not sure how to end the war. What type of "super weapon" would work for each side, and how powerful would it had to be to tip the scales? Could a dangerous mission do the thing? That feels a bit boring.
I drawing blank here folks. I could really use some help.
>>
>>53518612
No, but im sure theres a homebrew for it somewhere.
>>
File: Obliterator Virus.pdf (193KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Obliterator Virus.pdf
193KB, 1x1px
>>53518664
Right you are (though I'm pretty sure it was intended for DH as the Corruption per stage is rather high)
>>
>>53518612
Yeah, use a flash gitz snazzgun with maxed chaos marine toughness :^)
>>
I would like an example of someone's Deathwatch Character Folio for an example while I fill mine out.
>>
Why is good gothic organ music so hard to find? Youtube is determined to show me nothing but that, at this point, generic, dracula theme by Bach
>>
>>53514307
Cat's tendencies towards hate, lust, cunning, and sloth made them tailor-made for falling to chaos.
Those who had not turned by the 35th century were culled by order of the Ecclesiarchy
>>
>>53514459
how'd you survive that one?
>>
Is there any RPG stuff regarding the Hrud? Weapons, ideas for campaigns, possibly pc characters, that kind of thing?
>>
>>53521494
Fuck, i just realized "PC characters" is redundant
>>
Does having Unnatural Attribute (in this specific case Intelligence (2)) actually increase skill checks and shit or when would by Intelligence bonus actually come into play?
>>
What are the best options for a combat focused Tech Priest in Dark Heresy 2nd?

I really don't know which role to choose or which cyber will be the most beneficial, just some armor or weapon mechadendrites, or something else?
>>
>>53521994
It gives you an additional degree of success on all Int tests.
>>
>>53514428
its centered around ultramarines primaris spess muhrenns

basically DW set in the dark imperium
>>
>>53522116
>DW
>Not the infinitely more interesting BC
Why live?
>>
>>53522019
Mechanicus Secutor (Inquisitor's Handbook p. 68) or Crimson Guard (Lathe Worlds p 39) are probably your best bet. Crimson Guard is a bit broken though. Also not technically a Tech Priest.
>>
>>53518612
I don't see why not

The obliterator virus allows them to have and use several weapons all at once but gradually you turn into a pile of goo iirc

just grab some terminator armor and a bunch of heavy weapons and gradually go insane/die to insanity points/melt
>>
>>53521994
On opposed checks with identical Degrees of Success the one with rhe higher attribute bonus wins.
In addition levels of "unnatural attribute" negate a level of penalty, at least in Deathwatch. So a Marine rolling a (-10) Strenght test rolls a +-0 check instead.
Look into the entry of "unnatural whatever" to see if it still applies in whatever gameline you play.
>>
>>53521494
Dark Heresy: Disciples of the Dark Gods, p. 74 according to the 40k wikia
>>
Should I take Tech Use and Security as starting skills or just Tech Use +10?
>>
>>53522616
Tech Use is far more generally useful, at pretty much everything. And Security can be acquired later for just 200 XP (Im assuming you're playing BC).
>>
>>53522174
Gotta shill those primaris, son
>>
File: hrud2.jpg (135KB, 832x563px) Image search: [Google]
hrud2.jpg
135KB, 832x563px
>>53522408
Ok, so that's their main gun.

Lemme fire up the gold noggin;
They come in perhaps more than one form, some are big wormy things, some are a bunch of noodles sticking out from under a cloak with no "spine", at some point they were basically skaven in claoks you couldn't see inside it was just dark
They can just disappear or appear somewhere
Last I checked they're mostly Nocturnal
They have some sort of unnatural toughness trait and probably regenerate
They occasionally have an aura and or gun that causes the target to age like some weird sci-fi story, I think it's an actual blurb somewhere, maybe in a guard codex? that some unit fought them for years and had to keep rotating troops out because fighting them for a year turned you into a decrepid geezer
They're more than definitely some sort of warp critter but not really daemons?
They tend to multiply like rats sometimes, sometimes you'll just find one in a sewer, sometimes you'll find one in a sewer and if you don't manage to kill it tomorrow there will be 10 million and a full on invasion, but those are really rare
They tend to operate in packs, kind of like small clans of them, but they can appear alone
Sometimes they work as mercenaries (wut?)

pic related that's also a hrud in the lower left red full box
>>
>>53522717
Oh, and they're most commonly found near the maelstrom warp storm for some reason no one can explain, that's where a majority of their incursions occour and so far nobody has explained why

also they've basically been ret-conned and redone like 3 or 4 times despite never having a model
>>
>>53522653
Yeah, alright, what does Security actually get used for?

Also Meditation or Total Recall?
>>
>>53522205
Isn't that 1st edition?
>>
File: Worried Maid.jpg (108KB, 640x412px) Image search: [Google]
Worried Maid.jpg
108KB, 640x412px
>>53522717
>They're more than definitely some sort of warp critter

Any day before last week I would have agreed with you...

>>53522205

There is nothing wrong with the Crimson Guard.
>>
>>53523036
I apparently can't read. My bad
>>
>>53522019
Not-dying cybernetics would be a good start.
>>
>>53523291
>Any day before last week I would have agreed with you...

what are you worried about them spilling out all along the rift or something?
>>
File: Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap.png (2MB, 785x998px) Image search: [Google]
Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap.png
2MB, 785x998px
>>53523807

No. They're not daemons.

They're creatures from the future, and depending on how you stretch the wording of the text they may even be degenerated humans. They are retreating through time from some terrible catastrophe. If you kill a hrud, it is irrelevant - you only killed the hrud that existed in that instance of time. That same hrud still exists in every other instance of time, past and future. Essentially, the same hrud you face off against in 40k are the exact same beings in 30k and moving ever backwards. You could fight one hrud and kill it one day, and tomorrow meet the same hrud because you hadn't killed it yet. Meanwhile, that same hrud is continuing to run from...something.
>>
>>53523969
Not the guy you're replying to, but

wut
>>
File: Jojo D4C.gif (1MB, 450x310px) Image search: [Google]
Jojo D4C.gif
1MB, 450x310px
>>53523991

Perturabo: Hammer of Olympia

>The hrud are not migrating through space, but time. The Imperium encounters the same creatures, over and over again, throughout history.
>Guy and I couldn't decide if the were heading forwards in time, skipping the Imperium's brief stint in the galactic spotlight, or if they were fleeing backwards into the past to escape some horrible event that was still to come, or some other menace that the Imperium hasn't encountered yet.
>I know where my head-canon is at, though...
>Now go back and look again. Sooooo many clues as to what Guy thinks is happening, too.

-Laurie J Goulding on Bolter and Chainsword

Essentially, the Hrud are traveling through time, that much is inarguable - the direction then diverges on FORWARD (Guy Haley), or BACKWARD (Laurie J Goulding), and is up to opinion. I think that Laurie's takes precedence, as he was head of black library at the time the book was commissioned a while ago, and Guy is just the author.
>>
>>53524097
I was working more along the lines there's other stuff that "resides" in the warp but isn't technically a daemon, primarily the enslavers
>>
>>53524366
also here's some background on the Hrud God, maybe

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Umbra
>>
>>53523969
Whaaaaa

Where is this new fluff
>>
>>53514249
I'm about to run a Black Crusade campaign with four of my friends, and decided to give them all a free mutation to start since they all started with at least 20 corruption

Pirate Prince goes first, rolls infamy to try for a Slaaneshi reward which he passes. Rolls and gets a Daemon weapon with the Shrieking quality. Pretty metal.

Thousand Sons Sorceror goes next. Rolls Wreathed in Chaos, covered in Tzeentchian lightning. Pretty sweet.

Excited, the Dark Apostle rolls next. Rolls Demonic Organ, chooses the face of a Flesh Hound/Bloodthirster. Dogface Killah is a go.

Super excited, the Warpsmith goes next. Rolls grossly fat. Loses most of his agility but hits 60 toughness. Has a full move of 2. 16 feet or pure ceramite and fat.

I'm excited to start.
>>
>>53525382
Is the warpsmith from the Death Guard? He should be from the Death Guard.
>>
>>53525440
He's actually completely new to the setting, and knows little of the fluff. He and I will talk through his backstory, I told him how much of a ridiculous tank he could become if he goes full Nurgle, though.
>>
>>53525382
>60 toughness
>full move of 2
as someone who has only played Rogue Trader, is this as batshit insane as it sounds?
>>
>>53525382
>Full move of 2
So it lowered the warpsmith to 19 agility or lower? Is that full move with or without Hulking?
>>
>>53525758
I laughed for a solid minute after seeing it.

>>53525800
He now has 13 agility, he lost around 18 from the mutation. I haven't factored in anything from Hulking yet.
>>
File: push trolley.jpg (9KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
push trolley.jpg
9KB, 250x250px
>>53525758
>>53525800

Somebody get this man a push trolley!
>>
>>53525877
Tell him to get maglev coils and maglev transcendence so he can be a floating sack of fat and metal.
>>
>>53525941
>>53525901

I did a rough calculation and he weighs roughly three quarters of what a fully grown Tyrannosaurus would weigh. According to the book he's in the same size category as a Sentinel.
>>
>>53525901
I pity the person who has to push him
>>
>>53525996
Yeah when I run homebrew I've kind of just ignored that result on the table because what it results in is so rediculous

>>53525941
basically yeah you need to do something like this
>>
>>53526068
Most of the fun for us is how ridiculous the mutations get. He was ecstatic when he found out.
>>
File: uh... this is you now.jpg (1MB, 2560x1600px) Image search: [Google]
uh... this is you now.jpg
1MB, 2560x1600px
>>53526116
yeah, but if you have a Khorne Berzerker in the party either the Berzerker or the Slug is gonna die, he just takes too long to cart along.

I guess it works better if you let him turn into Urgot or something.
>>
>>53526582
>Urgot

Thankfully no Berzerker.

I had the idea of letting the Sorcerer charging the Warpsmith's batteries with his lightning. This whole thing could get weird.
>>
File: 1413521725319.jpg (288KB, 1003x1056px) Image search: [Google]
1413521725319.jpg
288KB, 1003x1056px
>>53517962
>>
File: 1454925927835.jpg (856KB, 1005x1440px) Image search: [Google]
1454925927835.jpg
856KB, 1005x1440px
>>53517962
Second one
>>
Are there any good damage calculators for Deathwatch? Heavy Bolters rolling lots of hits and righteous fury hits and then army and toughness calculation and body locations and critical effects... it really bogs the game down a lot.
>>
>>53514307
>>53521401
>mfw I deliberately drop hints towards a great heresy using cats
>mfw my players spend the better part of a session debating how to kill a large amount of cats
>mfw I have no face
>>
>>53519759
Look into horror movie soundtracks? I don't watch many but surely a few use organs?
>>
>>53497908
She was an acolyte as well as a cyber-mastiff handler. As awkward as it was, it only got worse when she got mauled by her own cyber-mastiffs.

The Ravenor trilogy was not as good as the Eisenhorn trilogy.
>>
Question for you all regarding DH2e and it's vehicle rules. If my bike has a pintle-mounted weapon, where does it fall for hit locations? Does it count as a Turret, or as a Weapon?
>>
>>53529965
Probably a weapon location as it doesn't have any or much armored bulk to make it a turret.
>>
>>53528959
>The Ravenor trilogy was not as good as the Eisenhorn trilogy.
I have the ravenor trilogy in my shelf but I'm never in the mood to start reading it since it seems Ravenor just sits in a chair and gets psychically beaten a lot
>>
>>53530327
Kind of.
Ravenor is pretty high up on the Psyker tier chart, only being clearly beat out by a few of the obvious ones like Malcador, Magnus and arguably Ahriman. The books greatest flaw is that antagonist is a gigantic gary-stu, having memorized a large amount of Chaos grimoires and being able to create false memories in himself and others by sheer willpower, despite not having any psyker powers himself.

To put it shortly, the Dark Heresy Ascended books are heavily inspired by the Ravenor series, with many things in the books being direct references. My Will, Manifest is the ability Ravenor makes the most use out of. But as far as I can recall, Ravenor only directly kills one or two people in the series, a couple dozen tyranids, and the occasional daemon.
>>
>>53530459
Ravenor killed a few poeple via sock puppet IIRC
>>
>>53527658
A general tip I'd give for fighting mooks is to just assume hits to the body, and ignore the critical damage tables: 0 wounds is dead.

Armour and toughness you can't ignore, but try and remember the total soak to speed things up.
>>
>>53529965
A weapon, and the person using can be tagged by called shots.
>>
Struggling to find a place in a fairly full group with a new pc. What do you come up when a group already has people playing the medic, the sage, the face, the assassin, the sniper, the psyker, the techpriest?
>>
>>53532220
Untouchable. Feral/death world warrior. Fanatic priest. Fanatic sob. The pilot. The desperado. The ganger. For God Emperor, there is a multitude of choices.
>>
File: 'merica fuck yea.jpg (66KB, 720x588px) Image search: [Google]
'merica fuck yea.jpg
66KB, 720x588px
>>53525382
>Fat Warpsmith
You may want to modify the Old Glory with a Chaos 8-point star
>>
>>53532282
>Untouchable. Feral/death world warrior. Fanatic priest. Fanatic sob. The pilot. The desperado. The ganger
Other than untouchable, which would actively fuck with the psyker why would you do that in a game you twat, all of those are also included in the character descriptions.
The face is a ganger and sob, the other face is a priest and warrior, the assassin is the pilot.
>>
>>53525382
They do know they can edit these right? Up to your infamy bonus? And Unaligned characters get to roll twice on the table. And mortals get a second mutation at 20 Cor.
>>
>>53532325
Fuck off. I was presenting you the options and you call me a twat? Neck yourself ungrateful faggot.

>The face is a ganger and sob

Retard spotted
>>
>>53532365
>I was presenting you the options and you call me a twat?
No, I was saying playing an Untouchable in a group with a psyker is twatish, because it is. You are actively making yourself a problem for another party member.
>begins listing backgrounds, not methods of contributing to the group
>gets mad because his options are not actually anything other than roleplay that is already being done in the group
Have a good day, anon.
>>
>>53532220
7 people + (you) + GM. Gee I wonder if I'll be able to bake pizza when waiting for my turn ;-DD
>>
>>53522832
>Yeah, alright, what does Security actually get used for?
Tech Use does repair, dismantle, and interact with devices, but Security is how you bypass all kinds of passive defences - locks, codes, traps, etc - and also set the same to protect your own stuff.
>>
>>53532220
Play a xeno then, silly.
>>
>>53532220
Brainstorm an incredibly gimmicky psyker build, don't worry about being expendable.
>>
>>53519759
Darkness GRV music mix and Chaos Gate soundtrack is good. Also inquisiton daemonhunters soundtrack. Anything else?
>>
>>53522174
>Given a game system
>uses systems shitty setting

I didn't even use the calaxis sector for my first 2 campaigns. (To prevent meta. Your supposed to be dumb schmucks)
>>
>>53533804
What?
>>
>>53533804
You are a fucking retard.
>>
>>53532220
I'd go Pilot, if they're fairly established they can definitely afford to buy the new guy a 100,000 Throne Gunship
>>
>>53532404
Untouchables have limiters, new friend

but maybe you should just leave
>>
>>53534177
>Untouchables have limiters,

only in the abnettverse according to ADB, not in actual canon
>>
File: horror.png (312KB, 609x314px) Image search: [Google]
horror.png
312KB, 609x314px
>>53534196
>the writers are arguing

nope.png
>>
>>53534196
>Only in the abnettverse according to ADB
So what you're saying is the ADB hasn't read Seventh Retribution? One of Ben Counter's better works imo.

>not in actual canon
You mean the "Actual Canon" where Laurie Goulding said there was one in 2014 before in 2016 declaring "I mean, one of the things that’s been said lots of times is that all of the IP is created equal. All of the background of Warhammer, Warhammer 40,000, the Horus Heresy – everything is cool" with ADB having the opposite flipflop in about the same time frame? That "actual" canon? 40k continuity is a joke, the real punchline of which is all the autists on /tg/ who take it seriously.
>>
>>53534196
>Denying existence of limiters, a nice little feature just because

Fuck off grognard.
>>
>>53534300
Some words to live by
"With Warhammer and Warhammer 40,000, the notion of canon is a fallacy. [...] Warhammer and Warhammer 40,000 exist as tens of thousands of overlapping realities in the imaginations of games developers, writers, readers and gamers. None of those interpretations is wrong."
-- Gav Thorpe

"It all stems from the assumption that there's a binding contract between author and reader to adhere to some nonexistent subjective construct or 'true' representation of the setting. There is no such contract, and no such objective truth."
-- Andy Hoare

"There is no canon. There's a variety of sources, many of which conflict, but every single one is a lens through which we can see the 40K setting."
-- Aaron Dembski-Bowden

I mean, one of the things that’s been said lots of times is that all of the IP is created equal. All of the background of Warhammer, Warhammer 40,000, the Horus Heresy – everything is cool, and I think the only way that stuff appears not cool is if people either overthink it or if not enough detail of context is given... ...Some people have said ‘oh wow, now that finally makes sense, I really like it!’ while others say ‘what’s the point in doing it? It’s a stupid idea anyway, and you’ve just made it worse!’ Okay, if you didn’t like it before and you still don’t like it now – great! I still got to tell my story, not everyone’s going to like it."
-Laurie Goulding
>>
>>53533942
DH 1e campaigns. Didn't know about 2e at that point and I had players in the group that would metagame the fuck out of any system they could get their hands on. So I made their campaign needlessly difficult, nearly party wiped on the first combat before 2 (out of 5) of the remaining players took cover and then ran. Considering they all had pistols and were fighting individuals with rifles, at range, in semi open terrain. They did the smart thing and were rewarded by surviving and getting their needed Intel.
>>
>>53532780
All good stuff. I forgot about Chaos Gate and didn't even know Inquisition Daemonhunters existed.
>>
>>53534778
>>53532780
The Organ of Davy Jones could be good for some situations if your players don't immediately recognize it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UfT0jVzNkw
>>
>>53532293
It was made even funnier when he chose ferric lure implants. Picture a warpsmith pulling his tools to himself for thousands of years and paying the price.

>>53532331
They know and they're happy with what they rolled. I did forget the second mutation for the Prince though. I'll sort that out soon.
>>
>>53532220
Sounds like your group is pretty well rounded. It depends on what the others are playing exactly, but you can never go wrong with more Tech Priests or Psykers. Failing that just play whatever you want/have never tried before, doubling up won't hurt so long as your group is alright.
>>
>>53534692
Ok, but what does that have to do with what i said about the new RPG?
>>
>>53534177
>Untouchables have limiters
Now point to the item/mechanic in the game for this.
Oh, wait, you can't, because in the game lines, it doesn't exist.
>>
>>53535491
Thank you, this is something I can take to heart.
I was concerned about trying to muscle in on someone's "thing", or worse, trying to do their thing and being redundant.
What's with the salty fags in this thread?
>>
>>53535895
>What's with the salty fags in this thread?
osmosis from general /tg/ salt.
>>
>>53535913

GW changed thing, and people are terrified and ineffectually screaming.
>>
>>53535859
maybe they were just worried people would realize how strong having a party wide psychic shield on demand is

so much for that chaos sorcerer, guess he's gonna have to kill you with his bolter, unforced staff and a lack of daemons. RIPPERONIS

Ill say it again, OHHHH RIP
>>
>>53536020
We're all aware. But fortunately this thread has by and large remained level headed and constructive.
>>
>>53536041
And screwing over the friendly psyker on your side is worth it?
Considering that in DH2e, untouchables aren't nearly as powerful and their abilities far more short ranged that you are more likely to affect allies than enemies who aren't 5m away?
>>
>>53536124
>you're still here and worried about the guy that might accidentally become a hole in reality and kill you all and his preshus fewwings

OH RIP
>>
>>53532220
Which system?
>>
>>53536280
>not wanting a reality tearing sidekick
This is why Chaos is always better.
>>
How to apply horde/mob rules in dh2?
>>
>>53532220
Either a tanky priest/arbite or a piloting-focused character if the campaign features the need for them extensively.
>>
>>53536688
DH2e.
>>
>>53536759
>>53536759
Pull the squad rules from OW?
>>
>>53536984
I am thinking about squad rules or horde rules from bc. Dunno which one is better.
>>
>>53536893
Unfortunately I'm not too familiar with 2e. Can't really go wrong with more muscle/dakka. Maybe go for a dual-wielding, pistol-focused pilot?
>>
>>53514249

Is there a way of running Black Crusade without having to rely on hordes? They seem to make combat feel less visceral and personal. Seriously injuring/maiming your opponent in Dark Heresy is a big thing, but with hordes it just feels so inconsequential.
>>
>>53537032
Depends on party comp
>>
>>53537005
Horde rules are also in OW, and unless the players are space marines, don't use hordes on humans, by and large.
A horde will rip a regular human to shreds because they can't be dodged, any incoming fire must be soaked, and getting caught out of cover is a literal ohko situation.
>>53537015
Pilots are often times not as useful in the myriad game lines because most gms don't have vehicle scenarios, tho. It's a "thing", but the gm needs to cater to it.
>>53537032
Depends on the party. If you have marines, throw hordes at them if you want to actually challenge them in combat. Your berserker is gonna think twice about charging a penal company, or a horde of bloodletters damn fast. If you have mostly humans/mortals, it's not nearly as needed.
>>
>>53537108
My players are in hospital under control of genestealer cult. The cult leader informed the inhabitants of the hospital about the party and now the session ended with a cliffhanger, with everyone dropping what they were doing and looking at them. How do I handle the mob attacking them with fists, grappling them and attacking with improv. weapons?
>>
>>53537152
Use the squad rules from Hammer of the Imperium, and make them small units split up and hunting the pcs.
>>
Maybe strange questions, but how would be tyranid roleplaying look like? Synaptic creatures has some kind of mind.
>>
>>53537288
None.
All nids either rely on bestial behavior, or direct control stemming from the hivemind.
It's like asking how you would play a roleplay a kastellon: you don't.
>>
>>53537265
Thanks!
>>
>>53537324
But creatures like Old one Eye, Deathleaper, Swarmlord has individuality, and acting outside synaptic control most time.
>>
>>53537367
Ad they are exceptions, not the rule.
>>
>>53537367
They are unique and yet they are only operating outside the hive mind control partially.
>>
Have you ever had a character ascend in Black Crusade? How did it happen?
>>
>>53537048
>>53537108

It's mostly marines. Looks like hordes it is. It's a shame, seems less personal. I'll find some streams for how best to describe it.
>>
>>53537826
Use combination of hordes, squads from Hammer of the Imperium, and individual champions that can throw down.
Remember, hordes are groups of dudes who could not really be of threat alone, they are the faceless masses.
>>
>>53537447

Pcs are exceptions by definition.
>>
>>53537862
Yes, if the races by rote possess them, but an exceptional beast is not a pc.
>>
>>53537288
Like watching the DM play your character because you have no autonomy. Or maybe, with a creature like the Deathleaper, playing without a party, but then what's the point of an RPG?
Also, good luck getting a roleplaying done with nids, even the "independent" creatures are ultimately slaves of the hive mind and aren't exactly chatty.
Shit idea.
>>
>>53537860
Alright, I'll take a look. Thank you.

One last question, is roll20 the best tool to use to run a Black Crusade game over Skype? I've heard some people use tools I've never heard of, and a recommendation would be helpful.

Thanks again.
>>
File: Thunder_warriors.jpg (10KB, 188x228px) Image search: [Google]
Thunder_warriors.jpg
10KB, 188x228px
Thunder Warriors are said to be even stronger than Space Marines - though less stable.

How would you stat one in Deathwatch? What manner of an excuse could there be to have the party encounter one - or even play as one?
>>
>>53538292
I doubt they ever left Terra, so Warp travel shenanigans are out of the question.
>>
>>53538292
One in stasis pod.
>>53538340
They did. And they escaped it and they had last stad on a planet I cant remember name of. Git gud with lore before you answer questions
>>
>>53538374
To be fair Thunder Warriors are pretty obscure.
>>
>>53538292
dude was on a starship, the warp took a hiccup as he walked through a door while reading EMPEROR MONTHLY tm, whoops this is the janitorial closet, turn around, open the door, walks out into whatever situation you're in

or yanno, just a stasis pod
>>
>>53538422
Everything is pretty obscure in a galaxy of a million worlds and a billion of humans.
>>
>>53538501
billions*
>>
So im about to play a Heretek in BC, and i want some inspiration.
Are there any good books about the Dark Mechanicus?
>>
>>53538048
>is roll20 the best
More like the only. There's not a lot of options to run RPGs online. Roll20 isn't a bad set up and IIRC it already has character sheets on it for all WH40k RPG's. So it should be able to do most everything you want it too.

>>53538292
Supposedly there is only one or two alive and they're crime bosses on Terra. Something about stealing geneseed from a space marine or two and then they disappeared. In general I would say it's a bad idea. If you really want to have it happen though, take standard smurf stats and throw some extra on top of them. +10 or so should be enough.

>>53538374
More they were executed.
>>
>>53539937

Thanks for that, it's much appreciated. Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I created a BC game on roll20 to test it out but I can't seem to figure out how to add enemies. I've had some rudimentary experience with it in DnD, but can't find an option for it.
>>
>>53535783
I did an entire campaign, multiples actually, that disregarded the timeframe and setting. Hell dozens of anon GMs are dead set on playing 40kRPGs at 39m999 or later.

Tl;DR of you dont like the setting, move it elsewhere. forwards/backwards in time, neighboring sector, hell play it in the ultramar system.
>>
File: 1436488118670.jpg (144KB, 700x877px) Image search: [Google]
1436488118670.jpg
144KB, 700x877px
I run a Deathwatch party and i don't know how i should run the righteous fury, the unlimited extra d10 is overpowered ( as example one of my players killed a Zoanthrope with one bolt ). So i limited it with one extra dice max.

Recently one of my players suggest that we the use of the BC/OW/DH 2e system (1d5 of criticals damages). The system is cool but against Chaos Space Marines and other big guys (Warboss, Hive Tyant etc.) this could be very ineficient.

Then he had an other idea : when roll a Righteous Fury, add permanently 1 critic damage against the opponent. That could work but i fear the game will be far more deadly than it is already.

So i want to know, do you apply the new system about righteous fury/zealous hatred?
Do you apply a houserule?
>>
>>53540515
Read the errata
>>
>>53540515
Errata,
>>
>>53532404
>No, I was saying playing an Untouchable in a group with a psyker is twatish, because it is.

I once played a wonderful where the three PCs were a bombastic (literally) Psyker, a weird feral worlder Untouchable, and me, the hard-boiled ex-Arbites.

The party dynamic was so cash.
>>
Anyone got character creation rules for Squats in DH2?
>>
File: abhuman no1 h3re.pdf (318KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
abhuman no1 h3re.pdf
318KB, 1x1px
>>53542162

Not for DH2 but these were made between RT and DW for DH1 by one of the writers on his off time, you can try to adapt something from there.
>>
>>53542218
thanks. We're playing a weird DH/RT bastard child
>>
>>53537265
Which page is it?
>>
>>53531284
I'm just gonna ask the DM for the totals next time when we play since then I can just throw them in the roll20 line. tearing is still kind of annoying, though... unless roll20 has a way to roll multiple dice and discard lowest?
>>
Not sure if this belongs here or a storytime thread, but does anyone have an archive link to Deffwotch Thread 7? The 1d4chan links aren't working
>>
>>53543665
>unless roll20 has a way to roll multiple dice and discard lowest?
I'm stupid for not looking this up, found how to do it immediately after actually looking. That lone will speed up most of the rolls a bunch (since so many space marine weapons are tearing).
>>
does a navigator need to take breaks when he's navigating the warp? Or does he do the whole journey in a trance that requires no sleep? Or do they usually have a co-navigator that takes over?
>>
>>53544747
all of the above IIRC

some plug in like a servitor/cogitator and are sustained by machines just staring for months. mind you their eyes don't wear out because their natural eyes close and the majority of them have had their warp eye augmented with robotics

some work in shifts or whole teams

some move really fast for a while then need a nap before going again

The navis nobilitae is huge, the Imperium has million of warp vessels and they steer probably 99% of them

They have an entire throne/treasure district on Terra for the families to hoard their vast fortunes they've amassed as the life blood of Imperial shipping

Their tactics are as varied as they are as mutants that continue to mutate

Also no two Navigators sees the Warp the same, and it's not an -inherent- trait, it needs to be very carefully trained. according to book 2? of Shira Culpernia they basically start not understanding WTF they see at all. Most of them apparently go through an Apprenticeship so there's another dimension to how it works
>>
>>53545134
Cool, thanks!
>>
>>53545134

>>99%
>>disregarding the Chartist captains and myriad canon ways that shipping in well-traveled sectors occurs without navigators
>>my eye when
>>
>>53540169
Add tokens. You can make the visible only to you, the GM. You can also assign tokens character sheets. So if you wanted, you could have a bunch of mooks assigned a single character sheet. Then you could reference that (or push a button, most character sheets let you use buttons) to make attacks and so on. Again, all this stuff you can make visible only to yourself. I recommend checking out the tutorials. There's a lot of cool stuff you can do with Roll20.

>>53543665
Something cool you could do is roll to see how a mook dies when they hit 0 HP. I'd use part of the criticals table for that. Some people like knowing exactly how they killed the enemy.
>>
>>53545478
that was the 1%
>>
>>53545526
>Something cool you could do is roll to see how a mook dies when they hit 0 HP. I'd use part of the criticals table for that. Some people like knowing exactly how they killed the enemy.
That's a good idea, I like the critical damage a lot and it adds a lot to the game. I'll suggest that for next game.
>>
>>53545526
Alright, thanks man. I'll take a look at the tokens. I'm new to roll20 beyond one game of DnD so the advice is helpful. Thanks again.
>>
>>53519759
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIcWhIu2lV4
I thought this was decent, but unfortunately every "gothic organ music" or "horror organ" video I could find sounds a lot like this one, there's not much variety. Maybe that's what you mean by
it being hard finding "good" ones.
>>
>>53532220
It's not quite a gameplay suggestion, but check out the DH 1e Alt. Career Ranks. Maybe it'll give you some ideas on what to do with your PC and how to differentiate yourself within the group
>>
>>53545134
Pretty sure it was Book 2 of Shira Calpernia, might've been book 3?
>>
>>53522699
0.000000000000000001 thrones deposited to you account
>>
>>53543291
Help me
>>
>>53550406
You cannot find what is no there.

That poster is mistaken, they're called formations and are in Enemies of the Imperium.
>>
>>53550501
Thanks anon, may God Emperor bless you. Please take a look at this and share your thoughts.
>>53537152
>>
Which date is the stuff in dh2? Asking primarily because wondering if it happens during the Vraks or after it.
>>
I have heard legend of the a non scan Faith and Coin pdf,
>>
>>53553152
But have you heard the legend of people not saving it to the main mega?

https://mega.nz/#!NNQjxTLb!IVEklUVbSSYUHNKKq3T_4_rl3jN82sfdlDhqW7c4jkQ

This is your nonscan.

Can someone add it to the main mega?
>>
>>53543939

find the Collected Visions.
>>
>>53553206

mega guy was the only one with access and he fucked off forever.
>>
>>53553469
Why did he fuck off? Maybe we should make another mega then?
>>
File: 02labkj581314893184.jpg (90KB, 509x800px) Image search: [Google]
02labkj581314893184.jpg
90KB, 509x800px
>>53553206
it was as for told
hah
no more deciphering cut off words
the texts are mine
THE HOLY WORDS
>>
>>53554076
Foretold*. I know that you are from feral world but cmon, you are in inquisition now.
>>
>>53538292
I dropped one on the Killteam via stasis trap. Basically fluffed it that he was one of the survivors fleeing Terra during the early Crusade era, and a small group of Word Bearers were sent to wipe him out. They chased him to an eldar derelict, and he and one of the Word Bearers got caught in stasis traps. 10k years later, Killteam snips the power feed during a wander on the Mortis Thule, releasing both. On one hand, Loyalist Word Bearer. On the other, batshit insane Thunder Warrior. Took the whole team to drop his ass with concentrated fire, this after he'd punched the Apothecary's face down his own throat.

Basically, I bulked on additional Unnatural Strength and Toughness, gave him a giant Wound pool (Like, 60 iirc), Swift and Lightning attacks, Iron Jaw, Sturdy, Step Aside and Wall of Steel, among other things. He was definitely a boss battle, and he definitely fucked shit up before going down to a direct hit from a plasma cannon to the chest
>>
>>53553206
It's... beautiful
>>
>>53540515
I went with the BC/OW/DH2 method. You want the big guys to be resilient and last more than a round or two of having the Killeam's attention.

Also, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Use the Errata'd weapons. I cannot stress that enough
>>
Is Adeptus Arbites composed only of progena from Schola Progenium? One of my players said so and I want to debunk it but I need some arguments.
>>
>>53555338
Nope. Take a look at the Shira Calpurnia series, where she repeatedly talks/internal monologues about her family in Ultramar
>>
>>53540515
I homeruled righteous fury was extra shots for a ranged weapon. Made for some hilarious moments when the stubber wielding adept furried 4 times and dumped an entire belt of ammo into a mook. Sure his body parts became shrapnel and took out 2 more mooks that were behind cover in the process, but he was effectively done with combat for the rest of the encounter. Relegated to reloading his heavy stubber instead of trying his luck with a pistol.
>>
>>53555478
Forgot my img
>>
>>53555478
Do you know that semi auto/full auto grant more shots by itself, right?
>>
>>53540842
>>53541238
>>53554293
I apply the errata for a while now, especially the new stats of the weapons, I had applied it already when the Zoanthrope gets nearly one shot'd, it's just that my player did three or four Righteous Fury in a row. And with the auto-confirm against Xenos thanks to the Deathwatch Training he was able to kill the alien in one burst of his bolter. I don't remember if he had special ammunion at that moment.

In my experience as player and GM, it's not so uncommon to make a two-three righteous fury in a row. I myself manage to do 40+ damage with one bolt against a Tyranid warrior.

Also, thanks for your answers. I have an other question, it's about Black Crusade :

Does race-mixing (human and CSM) works well? i mean, the marines are monsters in combat and have such advantages to compare with humans, mixing both seems a bad idea. When a marine would ever have an interest in letting a human have a good position in his warband?
>>
>>53556494
Mixing is bad and it proven to be bad. When such marine has accepting attitude towards the heretics, is not an braindead memer/edgelord etc. You need actual good players for such mix to work.
>>
>>53555338
No, Adeptus Arbites are 40ks idea of police, and they're brutal, and there's fucking tons of them

a LOT, and I mean a LOT, of Commissars are Schola Prog, but not entirely

Schola Prog is where loyalists/fanatical (and oftentimes rich) members of the Imperium's children go when they die to also be raised into fanatics, among other things. It's at least in part the Imperium's idea of an Orphanage
>>
File: 1442368640445.jpg (113KB, 655x353px) Image search: [Google]
1442368640445.jpg
113KB, 655x353px
>>53515859
Probably this.
>>
>>53537288
Maybe the party could be the hive mind taking direct control of synapse creatures hopping from front to front in an invasion
>>
>>53557254
Arbites aren't 'the police', in the sense that they're the ones stopping everyday crime. Your average thieves, murderers and such are the problem for the planetary enforcers, which are dipped in the cultures of that particular Imperial world.

The arbites aren't concerned with any of that. They step in only when there's legal affronts to the Adeptus, which usually involves corruption (both the bookkeeping and the spiritual) at the government level or all-out civilian rebellion.
>>
>>53557254
Arbites are interstellar interpol of 40k. The planets have enforcers of their own but arbites handle the larger scale things such as terrorism, planet wide civilian civilian riots, terrorist cells, large scale narco-syndicates etc
>>
>>53557755
need to remember not ever planet has it's own police, some (especially outposts) just rely on them and that the Arbites themselves also have 'Enforcers'

They're basically the secret police/SWAT/interpol of the Imperium, and when you don't have your own police and they're left to reign/organize things, things are dedicatedly more viscous than if you had local cops

they also serve as gang busters to force rioting hive worlders to work if I recall that necromunda book about crazy donna correctly
>>
>>53558169
One thing to consider, I'd think, would be how important the planet is. Planets like Hydraphur, or Necromunda, or Terra are probably so tightly gripped by the Imperium that there's no room for a smaller police force.
>>
>>53558243
>>53558169
Ofcourse. Some places rely fully on planetary enforcers and the arbites presence is miniscule, some planets have the other way around.
>>
Hey guys. Just started a new summer campaign and I've got a campaign diary for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyGNG_GuKUk

Lemme know what you think.
>>
File: List of Crimes.png (979KB, 899x2588px) Image search: [Google]
List of Crimes.png
979KB, 899x2588px
>>53558062
>>53558169
>Arbites are interstellar interpol of 40k.
>They're basically the secret police/SWAT/interpol of the Imperium
They're more comparable to a federal law enforcement agency. Since the Arbites cares about enforcing the Lex Imperialis, i.e the Law of the Imperium not whatever local laws governors keep.

Admittedly, Imperial Law is expansive (there's example of Imperial Law in the Book of Judgment, see pic
), brutal and tyrannical and in many places intersects with the local laws of each planet.
>>
>>53558284
Descration of a "building" seems like something for the popo, unless it means a major Adeptus' building. Same with "unsanctioned murder"
>>
>>53558243
pretty sure Shira/Hydraphur still had local cops, they were just considered laughable and completely inept to the Arbites, at least in book 1

Pretty sure the Arbites secretly monitored/controlled them as well, though, at least to some extent

gotta remember when it says ADEPTUS they're responsible for an entire region of Imperial Authority, which is Totalitarian, similarly I'd imagine the Adeptus Ignis is responsible for making sure the entire Imperium doesn't burn to the ground from a literal fire

When you're responsible for making sure planets pay their tithes why wouldn't you start on the ground level instead of waiting for it to boil over?

Then again this is the Imperium, I guess
>>
File: Female_Arbiter_2.jpg (233KB, 540x887px) Image search: [Google]
Female_Arbiter_2.jpg
233KB, 540x887px
>>53558362
>Descration of a "building" seems like something for the popo, unless it means a major Adeptus' building.
Do you mean to imply that desecrating the works and property of the Imperium should not bring righteous retribution from the Adeptus Arbites, citizen?
>Same with "unsanctioned murder"
Do you mean to imply that your life belongs to anyone but the God-Emperor and that Him on Earth and his righteous agents are not the only ones that can take the life that rightfully belongs to Him and that those that steals a life from the God-Emperor should not have righteous retribution brought upon them by the Adeptus Arbites?
>>
>>53558284
>survive unsanctioned psyker attack
>get executed by arbites for witnessing attack
This is why WH40k is Grimderp
>>
>>53558478
I'm saying random gang-crime in Compton and spray painting "Kilroy waz here" on the side of a downtown warehouse is probably beneath the Arbites' remit of ensuring planetary stability and compliance.
>>
>>53558504
You can't have normal citizens knowing about chaos and shit. Gotta play it safe and kill em all.
>>
>>53558540
My Dark Heresy party accidentally let a daemonhost loose in a space port. We hunted it down but the Inquisitor had us lock down the space port and surrounding areas before he arrived (We thought for sure he was going to purge them.

And he did, in a way. He conscripted everyone who may have seen the Daemonhost into the Guard for frontline duty.
>>
>>53558513
guess it depends on how you look at the Imperium

if they own EVERYTHING then that would be desecrating an Imperial building...because all buildings are Imperial
>>
>>53558513
No crime is to small to not suffer the ire of Adeptus Arbites, citizen.

Basically, it depends on how totalitarian you run the Imperium. Because the Imperium is a totalitarian state, but it is not always absolutely totalitarian due to its weird feudal nature. Also, the remit of the Adeptus Arbites is enormous because the Lex Imperialis covers pretty much everything. Its volumes fill entire data vaults and has been worked on, edited and added stuff on for ten thousand years, with it covering everything from temporal warp disjunction to how large the average size of grain seed should be.
>>
>>53558570
all in all, he's a gracious and pragmatic inquisitor and those new guardsmen are lucky to be alive (however long their lives on the front line may be).
>>
>>53558744
>Basically, it depends on how totalitarian you run the Imperium. Because the Imperium is a totalitarian state, but it is not always absolutely totalitarian due to its weird feudal nature
Well I tend to put the Arbites in the background on most Imperial worlds and have the oppression come from the local government desperate to meet its tithes.

>>53558243
I tend to only have Arbites present in everyday lives on the crucial worlds that are so important to the Imperium they're, for all intents and purposes, if not literally, directly governed by the Imperium, and not a feudal lord.
>>
>>53558833
With the Arbites oppressing the local government because it is in their remit to depose them if they don't please their Imperial masters? Because if so, you run it pretty close to how I interpret and like running things.
>>
>>53558744
yeah that's pretty much it

then we get into the entire Imperium being a gigantic church to the Emperor, so even if there is some idea of "property", the fact things are done in the "gothic" architecture nature now means it's all also purview to Ecclesiarch rule, so now you're getting castrated by a chainsword and burned alive by a zealot for everything as well
>>
>>53558757
I'm sure it would have been a different story if there had been an actual incursion and not a daemonhost sprinting through the place.
>>53558872
Pretty much. The Governor's gotta squeeze the people to meet the unreasonable tithe, because if he doesn't meet the unreasonable tithe, the Arbites are going to cap his ass. And the arbites will also come out to meet the common man if there's a big riot or anti-Imperial protest or some such other mass incident that threatens "stability and compliance." But no, for most worlds, I do not have the Arbites coming out for everyday crimes unless it's against a major Adeptus.
>>
>>53558874
>so even if there is some idea of "property"
Private property certainly exists in the Imperium, otherwise it would not have an aristocratic noble class and various other groups that can claim legitimate ownership over certain things.

The motivation for why you're allowed property is not the same as it is in Western Capitalist societies. Basically, if I get it right, you're allowed private property in the Imperium because the God-Emperor has rewarded you with these things for good service OR it's part of the privilege you have for belonging to a certain class, rank or Adeptus.
>>
>>53558934
A daemonhost is still an acceptable excuse for an Inquisitor to open the airlocks and vent the whole station.
>>
>>53558963
It wasn't a station it was a space port on a planet. But yeah, I have no doubt some Inquisitors would have bombed it from orbit, I'm just saying that I imagine this Inquisitor seems to take a sliding scale approach to things.
>>
>>53558939
this is exactly my point, do you actually "own" property because of paid cash for it, or has the ecclesiarch simply appointed these people over something as an extension of His divine will?
>>
>>53558934
So we run it very similar then. Because I run it thusly:
1. The Arbites police local Governors and their government, making sure they are compliant to the whims of the Imperium.
2. The Arbites police the various Adeptus, as they are direct citizens of the Imperium, directly linked to the Imperium because they're part of the Adeptus Terra, Adeptus Mechanicus or other important branches of Imperial governance and thus have to deal with the Judge Dredd knockoffs because their lives have far greater implications for the Imperium as a whole. Like say, if a member of the Adeptus Ministorum murders a member of the Adeptus Administratum, it must be dealt under Imperial Law, not local law.
3. Everyone else gets their shit kicked in by the Adeptus Arbites when they do something that gets them on their radar. Like starting a major riot that disturbs Imperial rule or mugging/assaulting/murdering/accosting/annoying/bothering a member of an Adeptus.
>>
File: 13265687656.gif (1MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
13265687656.gif
1MB, 320x240px
>>53559058
Yup.
I want to think about what it says about me that it took me a while to find that gif because 99% of my reaction folder is laughing, disgust, condescending smugness, or flat out saying something is stupid.
>>
>>53559123
>don't want
Fixed due to sentence breaking typo.
>>
>>53559041
I think that question has a "yes and no" answer to it, because in certain parts of the Imperium you own an item because you have done a legal transaction with a currency recognized by the Administratum as legal tender. And in other parts that's considered unseemly and you get to have private property because the God-Emperor is nice enough to allow you to have it, because that's what the local Bishop says.

But I reckon private property rights is only really an issue to the Adeptus and the Noble Houses and similar groups. Nobody really gives a shit about the common masses because if they're taxed its local governments that do it and not the Imperium and local governments have way too much variety to say anything solid on it.

>>53559123
That you've spent to much time on 4chan.
>>
>>53559172
https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Money

just saying it gets a little fucky when you're literally considered a form of currency in the Imperium yourself

maybe one of the uh, other, reasons the Ecclesiarch isn't allowed to have an army
>>
>>53558504
This table has execution for "suspected intent to witness unsanctioned psychic manifestation" and "intent to fail to confess guilt". And I'm pretty sure the same book had a clerk work for a few centuries to make some local application decree for Imperial law, only for the law to be repealed in the meantime.

I like the setting a lot, but by no means should it be taken 100% seriously.
>>
>>53559898
I'm under the impression that, much like the rules of a real tyrannical regime, the rules of the Imperium are impossible to actually follow and obey to place anyone at the utmost mercy of their superiors.
If every standard is impossible to meet and everything can be spun as a transgression, the only way to avoid trouble is to avoid notice, or to be on the good side of those you're meant to serve, so that they won't bother to find a reason to punish you.

And of course also because taking the piss is fun.
>>
>>53560029
If you have to release someone during a trial because he didn't broke any law, you're wasting everyone's time.
If the laws are vague enough, you can just execute him instead.
Progress !
>>
File: full-auto_142139672.jpg (176KB, 500x387px) Image search: [Google]
full-auto_142139672.jpg
176KB, 500x387px
>>53555513
You should use pic related. 40k version are better.
>>
File: 1491728485221.jpg (115KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
1491728485221.jpg
115KB, 720x720px
>>53558284
"Failure to confess guilt" This one is priceless. Innoncence is a fucking Imperial crime.
>>
>>53494989

I recently had an idea to start a campaign with PCs waking up as hapless captives to a cult about to make a bunch of sacrifices. If they get loose and stop it on their own, they get an "invitation" from an Inquisitor later while about their daily lives. If they start to look screwed, some of the other captives are agents of the Inquisition and break free to try and stop the ritual, freeing the PCs as backup. If that fails, inquisition comes in guns blazing and the party are some of the few judged pure enough to live.
>>
>>53560635
There's no such thing as innocence, only varying degrees of guilt.
>>
File: b36.png (245KB, 769x437px) Image search: [Google]
b36.png
245KB, 769x437px
>>53559898
I know. I was just pointing out that WH40k is so damn grimdark sometimes that it's more of a satire of grimdark.

>>53560117
Progress? In my Imperium?
>>
>>53560962
>sometimes
anon, 40k IS satire. It always has been...
>>
>>53561079

It stopped being satire when the writers got replaced by the shareholders who drank their own koolaid around 5th edition.
>>
>>53561100
Which is exactly what I was going to say. Shit stopped being silly grimderp and is now trying to be serious grimdark.
>>
>>53561100
Really it started to get its head up in own ass around late 3rd and 4th edition. Though 5th Edition was definitely about when they decided that 40k could be some kind of preeminent drama that would remembered down the ages as a dark Shakepearan classic, and really started to smell its own farts.
>>
>>53532365
Hive Sororitas (social Role). Fucking easy, you gloid.
>>
How do Plague Marines act when they're not in war? Do they talk to each other? Have any sort of bond? Do they just practice or meditate all the time?
>>
>>53560962
>Progress? In my Imperium?
You're right, that was a poor choice of words on my part.
>>
>>53561443
If they're important enough they can go into the Realm of Chaos. In one of the Chris Wraight Space Wolf novels there was a Plague Champion who reminisced about strolling through the gardens of decay before relaxing to the soothing sounds of the healing goddess crying in her cage.
>>
>>53561443
They stay in their filth-encrusted basement room and shitpost on the noosphere all day.
>>
File: Belisarius Cawl.jpg (16KB, 300x203px) Image search: [Google]
Belisarius Cawl.jpg
16KB, 300x203px
>>53560962
>Progress? In my Imperium?

It's more likely than you think.
>>
>>53562055
The question is not if progress happens but how it happens. That is why we needed a friendly chat with your local commissar. That way we can determine how this "progress" happened.
>>
>>53562055
Shas'o, you're tolerable despite your tripfagging and canonical autism, let's not mar this beautiful relationship by talking about gathering storm.
>>
>>53562192
Am i the only one who thinks that Gathering Storm created a more interesting setting to RP in?
>>
>>53562209
Probably not.
>>53562192
But I honestly think, aside from the idiocy of the warp receding buffing chaos in I, Gathering Storm is the best fluff GW's put out in years. Mind you, the bar for that was really really low. And given the new fluff about Baal, was not the start of a positive trend.
>>
>>53562209
I see potential. However I also think GW will fuck it all up.

Having one primarch come back means the rest will have to over time. Where this will go is anyones guess, but my money says that a lot of shit is about to get retconned.
>>
>>53562209

you are worse than satan
>>
>>53562209
Yeah I think it is too, I even had an idea of a deathwatch campaign where you chased Bobby G's Terran crusade
>>
>>53562209

Gathering storm killed the heroic story of the underdog individual and turned it into Marvel Avengers with Primarchs. Why care about a last stand to buy your hive a few more seconds when ROBOUTE GUILLIMAN will just descend and solve the problem with little risk?
>>
>>53562490
Because Rowboat can't be everywhere at once. Just because GW's focus has shifted to herohammer, doesn't mean anything changes at our level. Those guys holding the line are just as important as ever, the fact that heroes are doing something on the other half of that galaxy doesn't actually effect much. What's actually changed is the galactic landscape and the prominence of different threats.
>>
>>53562055
Fuck this gay gathering storm.
>>53562490
Seconded
>>
>>53562209
Has it created a more interesting system to RP in? Yes and no. It feels like the focus shift will benefit certain systems decidedly more than others. In particular, Black Crusade, Deathwatch, and maybe Only War seem like they'll benefit from a situation change, while Dark Heresy and Rogue Trader (to a lesser extent), look like they'll lose out
>>
>>53561725
was he talking to other plague marines? what's the context?
>>
>>53564134
He was talking to a Space Woof strapped down on an interrogation table. I'd have to redownload the book to find you the context.
>>
>>53562055

>pathetic trip-fags still polluting the board

Why dont you pathetic nobodies go and die in a corner ?
Trying to have a personality is an anonymous image board is so pathetic that it fills the viewer with disgust and pity at the same time.
>>
>>53562520
>Hulk cant be everywhere to solve your problems with his green abs.
>Hey , your mooks are just as important while he isnt punching baddies on the screen.
>>
>>53564158
And it's not in any of mega folders in the general. Those folders can be frustratingly incomplete sometimes.
>>
>>53564263
The fact that Captain America exists doesn't invalidate the existence of the US armed forces.

That's all I'll say on the matter.
>>
>>53562490
So much this

The setting is about various characters clashing their dicks against each other while stuff like ( this planet blew up,5 billion died there ) is said as an afterthought.
We are Starcraft, nay less than that starcraft and Wow copies now.
>>
When are we getting a Gathering Storm supplement for Only War?
>>
>>53564331
anon...
>>
>>53564339
Fanon, obviously.
>>
>>53564304

When was the us armed forces mentioned in a captain america story in any meaningfull way aside from plot devices?
When did you see a bad guys plan foiled because of carefull planning and strategic application of the us armed forces without heroes playing any part?
Not even once.
It is the heroes vs villians

Your dudes are not important anymore.
>>
File: GWBush.jpg (104KB, 1174x630px) Image search: [Google]
GWBush.jpg
104KB, 1174x630px
>>53564227
here
>>
>>53564416
Does it actually matter though? Gathering Storm takes place at the tail end of 999.M41, and should have no bearing on any of the games you're running or have run. Nothing's forcing you to play in the post-999.M41.
It might even be a blessing if they start ignoring the M30s and M40/41 with their endless inane skubtastic retcons for autists to scream over. Though with the HH series still rolling, I wouldn't hold my breath, at least not for M31.
>>
>>53564550

It would be like still trying to play warhammer fantasy after sigmar stuff happened.
It would be sad knowing that whatever you do it will culminate in a shit storm.
>>
>>53564550
But that's not true at all. The Hadex Anomaly is explicitly referenced in rulebooks, and it is linked to the Great Rift. The actions of Chaos in Jericho, Koronus, and Calixis are intrinsically linked to why the Great Rift when left instead of right and didn't hit Terra at all.
>>
File: 159615168-1024x768.jpg (46KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
159615168-1024x768.jpg
46KB, 1024x768px
>>53564655
I mean, nothing stops you from going a different route if 999.M41 comes around in your game. Well, nothing save any "grognard" screechers in your group. But hey, if it's a "NUCANON GET OUT"fag, he'll applaud you crying tears of joy. Flip that coin of life.
>>
>>53518612
By the book, pretty close, just short of the constantly changing guns (you can get gun limbs, they're just a bit more static).
>>
Ah fuck it , i will just switch to historicals.
A tleast no one can retcon that.
Hopefully.
>>
>>53564698
Yeah, but unless I missed something, the Gathering Storm happened and the Great Rift appeared in 999.M41. I don't think they went back and retroactively returned Guilliman and the Primaris Marines with the Great Rift to M40. So it shouldn't have any bearing on your game unless it's in the last years of 999.M41
>>
>>53564655
The campaign I'm running now is going to culminate with the Cadian PCs rushing home at rumors of the 13th on its way and showing up just before shit gets really bad.
My players are a little out of the loop on recent lore, so I'm gonna give them a hands on refresher course.

It doesn't have to be a weakness. It's an interesting time in the galaxy and the stories of those who witness it are sure to be interesting.
>>
>>53564731
Hitler did nothing wrong
>>
>>53564731
>No one can retcon history
That's where you're wrong kiddo
t. The Far Left
>>
>>53564747
>it's in the last years of 999.M41
Quite the typo.
>>
>>53564757
>>53564766

Damn you geedubs, damn you all to hell !
>>
>>53562209

Ynnari waifus.
>>
>>53564747
You never know. Maybe Belisarius Cawl did some creepy shit with the Lathes to invent his Bolt Rifles, like stealing stuff from Umbra Malygris.
>>
>>53564984
I'm actually slightly mad for having read that
>>
>>53565093
Well that'd be entirely your prerogative.
>>
>>53564227
That's a bit harsh. Shas may be a bit special, but there are times when trips can be useful. He's put out enough homebrew that I'd allow it.
>>53562055
So Shas, how goes the HH deathwatch thing?
>>
File: fuck me.png (222KB, 834x1363px) Image search: [Google]
fuck me.png
222KB, 834x1363px
>>53566190
>how goes the HH deathwatch thing?

I want to die
>>
>>53567784
Do you have basic vanilla tactical marines too?
>>
File: BKdDn47.gif (2MB, 339x268px) Image search: [Google]
BKdDn47.gif
2MB, 339x268px
>>53567784
>>
File: image.jpg (181KB, 625x960px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
181KB, 625x960px
Let's say I wanted to do a game where the PCs are Custodes. Obviously Deathwatch would be the closest to achieving this, but beyond that, is such a thing possible?

Even ignoring nucanon and Big Bobby G lighting a fire under the Custodes's asses and sending them out into the Imperium at large, there's still plenty of potential stories to tell there.
>>
>>53569880
Eh...not sure how Custodes differ from Marines. Could be a little, could be a lot. No squad mode, though. For creation, do a standard Marine and add 15 to all their stats. They also probably get some Peer and Good Reputation talents. Not sure if their gear has stats already. Maybe Shas has done it.
>>
>>53569880
Roboute didn't make the custodes go out into the Imperium. Custodes don't answer to anyone but the Emperor. And they were designed solely to be his bodyguards. Custodes already infiltrate shit on Terra and occasionally other places if need be, but you're thinking of if the emperor had a text to speech device.
>>
>>53569880
The above post about stats is probably a pretty good start, but many note the Custodes as warriors, rather than soldiers.
For the plot, Custodes have been rumored to occasionally leave Terra, accomplish some heroic feat, then blame the deed on the nearest SM chapter, consider having the custodes wear standard power armor from some other chapter for the majority of the game.
Maybe have them on leave from Terra for a short time, staying with a Space Marine chapter and occasionally getting involved in combat, possibly hunting down that pissed them off.
>>
Hey /tg/, a quick question: I've been putting together a condensed master armoury from across the 40kRPG gamelines. For Exotic Weapons, I'm trying to put the weapons that actually have categories together where they 'belong' (i.e. Ork weapons, Eldar Weapons, etc.)

One thing that's made me take pause is the Foul Scepter in Hostile Acquisitions - Reading the description, it seems like it's probably a Yu'Vath weapon. But is it possible that it's a Necron Staff, similar to the ones the Crypteks have in The Outer Reach? The description sounds like it could almost be Necron in origin, and the discovery story seems very similar to that of the Eldritch Staff in Enemies Without.
>>
File: gs.jpg (500KB, 1605x1080px) Image search: [Google]
gs.jpg
500KB, 1605x1080px
I want to make an Only War one-shot centred around an assault on a genestealer cult lair, possibly on a Hive World. Any ideas, tips, scenarios? Have any of you ran something like that?
>>
>>53571383
Nah, that's definitely Yu'Vath.
>>
>>53571644
Cheers
>>
>>53570432
>Roboute didn't make the custodes go out into the Imperium.

he did. that was a plot point in GS3.
>>
>>53570400
IIRC Custodes don't have a gene-seed, so none of the fancy organs that Marines have. Although in fluff Custodes are still heavily gene-modded and straight up better than Marines in almost every way so I would probably keep most of the stat-increases that the gene-seed gives out in Deathwatch.

As for gear, some of it wouldn't be too hard to stat I wouldn't think. Their armor could be equivalent to either artificer or terminator armor, and their bolt-halberds would probably be something akin to a storm bolter attached to a power-spear or something.

>>53570432
Honestly even a game about the politics of Holy Terra could be interesting. I also wouldn't mind basing it at least somewhat on TTS if the players were okay with that.
>>
>>53568347
Pretty sure that this book is HH exclusive, but it does say to use the main Deathwatch rulebook for the base classes
>>
How does Chaos go about the creation of a Daemon World? I know the Word Bearers book had them building a giant daemon tower, but are there other ways?
>>
>>53573675
Presumably long & heavy exposure to the warp will do it. One of the BC modules does involve you dragging a world into the Screaming Vortex, but that's probably not a multiple-time event
>>
>>53573675
Lots of them undetailed, you can basically invent your own.
For example, there was (IIRC) a WB character in some DW book who planned to blast a chaos star onto a planet from the orbit, and that was supposed to do the job.
>>
>>53573500
Armor would be artificer at minimum, their spear is a master crafted power spear with a master crafted twin-linked bolter attached, they have a power knife called a misericordia as well.
>>
>>53573691
>>53573698
So, would causing a planet-wide Warp Storm do it? Maybe with the aid for a daemon prince?
>>
>>53573779
*of a daemon prince
>>
>>53573779
>>53573813
Theoretically, yeah.

Somebody want to make a new thread?
>>
>>53573675
Daemons want to possess things, as the main goal of a daemon (or any modern devil) is to somehow gain sway over the real world via medium. A lot of their possessions suck and or are mundane, but an entire PLANET is kind of hard to pass up.

I'd imagine with some fuckhuge ritual and carving the right stuff on a planet you could make it a Daemonhost like anything else, question is bound, half-bound or unbound

Also it's easier because the Daemon WANTS to do it, the problem is all of them do so you have to "target" which one you get very carefully

Plus I'm sure there's a hundred other ways

That word bearers one is often incorporated into a giant pile of corpses from everyone they killed, an entire planet's worth the corpses in one place, and warp suffused into still-living flesh and those screaming faces thing IIRC, although I believe the tower itself and ritual may be enough if the planet had nobody to kill
Thread posts: 322
Thread images: 36

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.