[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

LOVECRAFT

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 312
Thread images: 58

File: tg-3D-Anger-Man-Stock.jpg (27KB, 644x408px) Image search: [Google]
tg-3D-Anger-Man-Stock.jpg
27KB, 644x408px
I AM SO FUCKING SICK OF LOVECRAFT

FUCK YOU, HAVING XCTHUT'FDGSHKDFG'DFJIBHGDFJIG SHOW UP AND FUCK EVERYTHING INTO NEXT WEEK DOESN'T MAKE YOUR SETTING UNIQUE

IT JUST MAKES YOU YET ANOTHER FUCKING MILLENNIAL NUMALE TRYING TO COPY SOME RACIST XENOPHOBE WHO DIED A HUNDRED YEARS AGO

FUCK
YOU
>>
File: 1488247038862.jpg (500KB, 601x1122px) Image search: [Google]
1488247038862.jpg
500KB, 601x1122px
>>53510144
>>
File: buzz.gif (357KB, 500x240px) Image search: [Google]
buzz.gif
357KB, 500x240px
Somebody's upset.
>>
If your players approach you with plans to summon Azathoth and go insane, with the possibility to upgrade to bring about the end of days as the game continues, you have NO right to refuse them. Now, I know what you're going to say:

>B-b-b-but muh sanity
>B-b-b-but muh cosmic horror
>B-b-b-but mommy, eldritch abominations make me scared

Shut up. You shouldn't be DMing. Your players are trying to make something interesting out of your generic, rational setting, and you're throwing it back in their faces. You have NO right to be DMing - just give your notes to one of your players, they can do a better job than you can.

TL/DR, if you can't handle Cthulhu in a modern setting, you shouldn't be a DM.
>>
File: spurdo_sparde_rotate.gif (646KB, 512x481px) Image search: [Google]
spurdo_sparde_rotate.gif
646KB, 512x481px
Okay whiteyass cracker. Now fuck off.
>>
Bloodborne took everything Lovecraft ever came up with and presented a vastly better story and setting using its concepts, all while not being hilariously racist.

Prove me wrong.
>>
It's really fucking annoying to get somewhere and then find out, "Oh you actually wanted to change something? Big space squid has you beat by a trillion millenia. Have fun going insane kiddo :))"

tl;dr fuck you
>>
>>53510198
Modern players can't handle the fact that they won't always win. Suck it up snowflake, life isn't always fair.
>>
File: spurdo_sparde.gif (280KB, 384x216px) Image search: [Google]
spurdo_sparde.gif
280KB, 384x216px
>>53510198
>waaah waaah im a big bad baby and because i cannot achieve anything in life i MUST achieve something in game otherwise i get depressed

Grow the fuck up.
>>
>>53510144
nice pasta faggot
>>
>>53510144
Little do my players know that they are working to keep a buttload of elder gods asleep to prevent them from destroying the universe.

>Set up universe. Vikings, nothing exceptional.
>Players die, get taken to Valhalla where they meet the Odin and the gang.
>Get recruited to Odins army fighting the Fey for the purpose of keeping the gods asleep.
>Players never question what gods they are keeping asleep.

Sometimes it baffles me how dense players can be. That being said, if the gods ever do fully awaken, the universe will be torn asunder. Odin remembers a couple of thousand years ago when one of the gods began to stir. It caused enough chaos to create a bunch of end of the world Ragnarok type myths - he's even told the PCs this, and they have NEVER ASKED who it was they were keeping asleep.
>>
>>53510144
I like cosmic horror but I agree that tentacled "Old Gods" with mad cultists is a little played out.
>>
>>53510144
I'd like to point out inconsistencies in your post: if we WERE numale cucks, we wouldn't be bringing in lovecraft stuff over, we'd try to subvert your game to be about social justice.

Furthermore. Niggers are eldritch as fuck, there's no actual sane way to understand their broken english or any sanity in their reasoning.

Lovecraft was ahead of his time for sure
>>
>>53510144
Intercourse thyself, OP.
>>
File: 1495658463134.jpg (34KB, 461x439px) Image search: [Google]
1495658463134.jpg
34KB, 461x439px
>>53510144
>>
>>53510236
Protip: if you prematurely end the campaign and go "LOL! you should have asked what gods you were preventing from waking" you are a dick
>>
>muh numale millenials

The only people I've ever met who are obsessive and annoying about lovecraft are women.
>>
>>53510144
I'm not the biggest fan of Lovecraft I find his stories a bit too boring, I know, Plebeian and all that, but you're a little bitchboi to your nu-female husband. Getting ass blasted because of some racism and xenophobia means you shouldn't be on the internet.
>>
>>53510236
It's probably because they know they're going to get some bullshit "your puny minds can't comprehend these gods" instead of anything worth learning.

Also I think everyone's been exposed to enough of this crap that they have a pretty god idea of what's happening.
>>
Lovecraft was a racist and therefore infallible
You watch your tongue
>>
>>53510144
>>
>>53510358
Nah, I actually have a rather decent multiverse set out based off of various (primarily Norse) mythologies with some 40kism thrown in. My players are enjoying it immensely. Eventually, they'll get to the point where they'll have to confront the Fey on the plane of the sleeping gods, and they'll see exactly who they're "working" for. But, that time is a ways off as of yet.

>>53510450
Not really. It's a Pathfinder game, and I've literally never used any Lovecraftian entities before - at least, none that I can think of (I've been GMing for these guys for nearly 3 years now, so it's possible that I've just forgotten, but it's not common, regardless). So I doubt they've guessed what's up. I still find it funny they haven't even bothered asking.

They met Loki last game. Loki commands Odins special forces. I made a super hard point of playing up how he was just trying to blend into the crowd and how they would never have noticed him if Baldr hadn't pointed him out. They never even asked what his position was (I wasn't up front about the information, just in pointing him out). One of them even walked over to him, said hello, then walked away without asking what he did for Odin. I was flabbergasted.
>>
>>53510236
Does it really matter whether they're keeping Morgoth or Cthulhu asleep? They know it's a god and it's bad, it doesn't matter if it is "generic evil god number 95204" or "ineffable outer god".
>>
>>53510144
Much like Tolkien, what's described as Lovecraftian today has nothing much to do with the stories he actually wrote except for shallow surface elements.

The problem isn't Lovecraft, it's unimaginative hacks.
>>
>>53510647
I suppose that's true. I was really just surprised that they accepted that Odin, Thor, Loki, etc... weren't gods and that they were tasked with keeping some nameless gods they had literally never heard of up to this point in their characters lives, asleep with not a question asked.
>>
File: gondolinski.gif (570KB, 1000x811px) Image search: [Google]
gondolinski.gif
570KB, 1000x811px
>>53510144
I too hate that pop-culture lovecraft is bolted on so many settings now.

That said contain your chimp out.
>>
>>53510160
>You near the end of the chant and according to the chart, the stars above are about to be right. What do you do?
>I stab the virgin we have chained to the altar to complete the ceremony
>Alright. At the exact moment of celestial alignment, just as your companion's otherworldly chanting reaches it's crescendo, you plunge the ritual knife into the girl's chest, breaking the sigils you painstakingly scarred into her flesh.
>Okay so Yog Sothoth shows up now right?
>Just wait. The chanting stops and the warehouse is silent. A few seconds pass. Then a few more. The stars are no longer aligned, and it seems like nothing is happening.
>Okay, ol' Yoggy'll be here in any minute I'm sure. We followed the ritual to the letter after all
>The next few minutes are filled with awkward waiting. Then, you think you can hear police sirens. They seem to be getting closer. What do you do?
>>
>>53510847
That genuinely sounds like a great way to start a game.

Would play/10
>>
>>53510144
Lovecraft grew a lot as a person and seemed to have change his racist views later in life, as evidenced by his presentation of a black family that is portrayed in a positive light in one of his later stories (I sadly forget the title). His friendship with R. E. Howard was probably a part of it.

That said, I find Lovecraftian shit boring 90% of the time.
>>
File: dogo.jpg (9KB, 168x301px) Image search: [Google]
dogo.jpg
9KB, 168x301px
>>53510196
Nothing to prove wrong here, I take my ques from Bloodborne when it comes to Lovecraft settings.
>>
>>53510144
You are nigguhhh
>>
>>53510144
>i dont like thing
>you like thing so ill call you a numale
Tell me more about your body pillow.
>>
File: jimmies-rustle-softly.jpg (75KB, 500x663px) Image search: [Google]
jimmies-rustle-softly.jpg
75KB, 500x663px
>>53510144
>>
>>53510431

I can see that, most of his stories get kind of bland. However The Shadow out of Time, At the Mountains of Madness, and The Dunwich Horror are all pretty great stories that hold up today.

The Color out of Space is pretty good too, honestly.
>>
>>53513500
You're probably thinking of The Case of Charles Dexter Ward. There's a nice black family the main character buys a painting from. Every time they're mentioned they get glowing character references.
>>
>>53510144
I don't get it. How can you be a numale cuck yet enjoy Lovecraft, after all he's super racist? Your insults aren't making much sense.
>>
>>53510144
Got it, no problem.

Oh what's this? "Night Lands". Hmmm, guess I'll have to use it instead... With all those levels inside the Redoubt, no one will mind if I fill one with catgirls. They can charm the Beasts outside and use them to defeat the Watchers and explore the world and find spaceships and fight Elder Evils and win.

Yes, yes, that'll do.
>>
>>53510144

How do Lovecraft's racist and xenophobic tendencies discredit his work?
>>
>>53510144
And quietly, I whisper into your ear after we make love, "My Chessex lucky d20 is superior to your Gamescience dice."
>>
>>53510204
>>53510206
>you want input in my STORY!?!?!?!?
>how DARE you?!?!?!?!
>>
>>53510616

sounds like my group
i'm so sorry
>>
>>53510847
This would make a fantastic start to a game of Everyone Is John.
>>
>>53513990
Congratulations, you just earned your first rank of Knowledge (4chan).
>>
>>53510196
there weren't any minorities

checkmate, atheist
>>
>>53514022
They don't, really. Those who study Lovecraft almost all agree that he was somewhere on the Autistic spectrum, and we all know how imperative autists are in their opinions. Combine that with Lovecraft growing up in the time that he did, and he's little more than an autist of his era.
>>
>>53510144
Looks like someone rolled a fumble at lost most of their health and sanity. Should've focused on your pow stat kid.
>>
>>53510144
Try being polish and seeing witcher netflix show or another warsaw uprising movie.
>>
>>53510847
>Game where all the players think they're cultists
>In reality they're just off their meds
Truly, the art house film of tabletops.
>>
>>53510196
>not being hilariously racist.
I heard the villagers say "get lost outsider" to me TEN times and my character was black?
Not racist ha.
>>
>>53514361
That's normal racism.

Hilarious racism is H.P. "Niggers are martians and hatch from eggs" Lovecraft
>>
File: 1496105428255.png (252KB, 425x304px) Image search: [Google]
1496105428255.png
252KB, 425x304px
>>53510144
This is some anger I can get behind.
>>
File: hemad.jpg (50KB, 512x359px) Image search: [Google]
hemad.jpg
50KB, 512x359px
>>53510144
your point?
>>
>>53510160
>DMing
>DMing
>DM
>>
File: 1467179039208.jpg (75KB, 553x720px) Image search: [Google]
1467179039208.jpg
75KB, 553x720px
>>53510144
>I AM SO FUCKING SICK OF LOVECRAFT
So in other words, you wanted a Lovecraft thread and decided the best way to do that is to make other fans flock to defend it?
You could of just make one the normal way anon.
>>
File: 1488907614417.jpg (92KB, 344x315px) Image search: [Google]
1488907614417.jpg
92KB, 344x315px
>>53510144
>RACIST XENOPHOBE

>implying Lovecraft was wrong to fear niggers
>>
>>53510236
>Odins army fighting the Fey
Sounds fucking stupid.
>>
File: 1481580586879.png (11KB, 447x378px) Image search: [Google]
1481580586879.png
11KB, 447x378px
>>53510144
Truly, oh prophet, you have convinced me.
>>
>>53513500
Lovecraft's racism was even from the beginning directed towards alien cultures rather than races. And everything that wasn't Anglo-Scandinavian was alien, according to Lovecraft. He does not seem to have had much problems with foreigners who assimilated into his preferred culture, and indeed described his wife as "well-assimilated".

That said, Lovecraft also seems to have been far more racist than was typical for his time, and his pen pals, in particular Robert, argued with him over this constantly. It is also true that later in his life his racism seems to have been toned down, and his correspondence with, among others, Robert probably had some part in it, though it's also worth noting that by then he had lived in New York for some time and would thus naturally have been exposed to more cultures which probably had a far bigger impact on him.
>>
>>53514305
>Try being polish
Jesus, no thanks
>>
OP is correct. Mindlessly aping Lovecraft - or what you mistakenly think is "Lovecraft" - is even worse than mindlessly aping Tolkien.
>>
>>53516707
Sure, but that doesn't mean I'm not gonna give him shit for being a gigantic bitch about it.
>>
>>53514109
your imput is not valued in life and is sure as hell not valued in any games
>>
>>53510196
the "insight" mechanic should have been way better.
>>
File: aAGyqXB.jpg (246KB, 1800x992px) Image search: [Google]
aAGyqXB.jpg
246KB, 1800x992px
>>53510144
Cthul-Rex is comin' your way, OP.
>>
File: 1494908725626.png (266KB, 600x691px) Image search: [Google]
1494908725626.png
266KB, 600x691px
love craft done wrong > shit > everything else > love craft done right

The best analogy I can think of is this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCxPT7UUkkY
no one is impressed by the monster, no one is impressed by the gasping horror god. The secret kept from your audience is EVERYTHING, the moment you let the reader / players in on the secret its all over. Lovecraft has always been the about the fear of the UNKNOWN.

>>53510236
like this guy here, its good that your players never asked about the gods, if you explained it to them it would be shit dude.
>>
>>53510144
While you were chimping out, XCTHUT'FDGSHKDFG'DFJIBHGDFJIG showed up. Roll a sanity check.
>>
>>53518507
I meant the greater than symbols to be arrows I fuck that up hard.
>>
>>53510144

Strange. Its appearance in your game seems to have driven you quite mad.
>>
>>53510257
I wish /pol/troons would stay in their fucking containment boards.
>>
>>53518730
Try reading "Innsmouth" and tell me those fishfolk aren't niggers.
>>
>>53510668
Part of the problem is definitely Lovecraft. Have you tried to read his prose?
>>
>>53514140
Or Unknown Armies/GURPS Cabal/Illuminati
>>
File: c4rd4r7_ccFSvKQ43z.jpg (519KB, 750x750px) Image search: [Google]
c4rd4r7_ccFSvKQ43z.jpg
519KB, 750x750px
I liked Eldritch Moon though. But I don't want to see the eldrazi for at least another 3 years.
>>
>>53518750
Try reading "Reanimator"and tell me those niggers aren't fishfolk.
>>
>>53518855
Kek'd and chek'd
>>
File: ub1smht.jpg (43KB, 400x350px) Image search: [Google]
ub1smht.jpg
43KB, 400x350px
I think Lovecraft is a bit overplayed too, but the basic themes of the universe being much older than humanity and home to things much greater in scope and capability than humanity who will ultimately perish and be forgotten like all the others are quite resonant.
>>
I like Lovecraft though...his stories are spooky and interesting.

Reading the stories AFTER getting over-exposure of all the pseudo-lovecraftian shit was quite an eye opener to be honest. People falsely push the OMG TENTACLES EVERYWHERE PRAISE CTHULHU! LETS BEAT HASTUR WITH TNT!

They completely miss the fact that its the unknown aspect of these things is what makes the stories. Lovecraft was scared of anything different. This made him racist and was also the basis of all his writing. Also his ever present nihilism.

Even the shit of "Humanity can never win" thing is bullshit. Arkham Horror, Case of Charles Dexter Ward, and even Shadow Over Innsmouth and the Call of Cthulhu to a lesser extent. All these had humans prevailing in some way. The biggest thing is that it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. But the grand scheme doesn't really matter to humans. Yes, Cthulhu might wake up when the stars align and his cultists are able to get to him and open his crypt but even that is likely at a very far off date, if it happens at all. The Deep Ones say they COULD wipe out humanity, but they are fat and lazy and don't want to. Until I see results I call bullshit on that.

Colour Out of Space is some scary shit though.
>>
>>53518837
Man it was pretty funny to see the reaction of some ''fans'' of these angels. Good stuff.
>>
File: wfc.jpg (7KB, 136x320px) Image search: [Google]
wfc.jpg
7KB, 136x320px
>>53510144
Are you alright?
>>
>>53510144
I unironically agree op, I am fucking sick of lovecraft shit. When everything is cosmic horror, nothing is.
>>
>>53519047
I very much agree.

Eldritch greater than human things in Lovecraft operate on a different time scale than humans. The setting just takes anthropocentrism down a notch. Your entire family line probably happened between C'thulhu's snores, and will probably die out the next time he rolls over.
>>
File: H.P. Lovecraft.png (223KB, 404x507px) Image search: [Google]
H.P. Lovecraft.png
223KB, 404x507px
>>53510144

deal w/it pleb
>>
>>53518763
>Lovecraft is difficult to read

lol come back to him when/if you graduate high school
>>
>>53510144
Him being a racist xenophobe is part of his enduring appeal, though. Stay mad, leftist scum.
>>
>>53525307
>>53518763
He isn't *hard* to read, but he is stylistically antiquated. There is a reason he "shews" instead of "shows", but as someone who read all of Lovecraft when I was about 13-14, it's not *that* bad.
Worst case scenario, keep a digital thesaurus on hand, like you would with any other writer with an antiquated style
>>
>>53518750
Debatable. Shortly before writing Innsmouth Lovecraft discovered parts of his family were Welsh (terrifying if you're an anglo-obsessed autist like Lovecraft, as another anon mentioned Lovecraft's thing was more cultures than races). Another one of Lovecraft's big sources of fear was that he would end up going insane like his parents did. A story about cursed bloodlines doesn't necessarily mean "the scary black people took our women".

Besides, the Deep Ones are described as having a very advanced culture compared to humans even if they are monstrous. That doesn't seem like something Lovecraft would do if he were making them a direct analogy to black people.

If you want a certifiable example of Lovecraft's racism coming through in his writing read Red Hook.
>>
>>53510144
So I guess this is as good a place as any to pose this question.

Forever GM here, looking to change things up with a new system. Group says they are interested in playing CoC, we have done horror themed D&D and it went well, so I think this has potential.

My question is which edition should I try getting us into? None of us have any experience at all with CoC. Also are there any modules good for a GM new to the system?
>>
>>53525725
5e and 6e are basically the same and have the most published material, 7e has a few nice new mechanics but, though I prefer 6e, I don't really think either of them is "better" than the other. Just check them out and pick whichever one you think looks easier to run.
>>
>>53510144
Man the fuck up you crybaby cunt
>>
>>53510144
>MILLENNIAL
>NUMALE
If you said Cuck or Beta we'd have a trifecta. Naturally all of this buzzword butthurt convinces nobody.
Opinion discarded.

You should calm down and learn to behave like a rational adult.

As for the *content* of your post, I am entirely ambivalent about Lovecraft. I'm not going to run a game with Lovecraftian Horrors, nor am I going to actively seek them out, but if a friend uses them in a campaign they're GMing, why should I give a fuck? How is it worse than using Demons or Devils or Angels or Dragons or whatever the fuck?
>>
>>53510160
So is this the new shitposting copypasta for the next few weeks?
>>
>>53525703
Another theme that popped up a few times was the idea of white populations "regressing", as seen in The Lurking Fear. Hillbillies spooked Lovecraft almost as bad as biracial people
>>
File: 1513274.jpg (136KB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
1513274.jpg
136KB, 1440x900px
>>53510160
I like this copypasta
>>
>>53510196
>>53510144
>lets judge this guy from the past by our own modern standards
Anyone who think Lovecraft's racism came through in his writing is either retarded or has never read a single one of his stories.
>>
File: 1n9rq5.jpg (124KB, 600x500px) Image search: [Google]
1n9rq5.jpg
124KB, 600x500px
Reminder Lovecraft slowly gave up more and more of his racist views as life went on and said he disliked Shadow Over Innsmouth because it was too overtly racist.
>>
>>53525703
this. Welsh are practically fish people in real life, and their language sounds like fish people speak. Furthermore, everyone knows that black people can't swim, unlike fish people.
>>
>>53510196
Bloodbornes great. Its my favorite game hands down. It does Lovecraft better than any other video game. But it is not better than the source material.
>>
Isn't the point of Lovecraft not the spooky aliens but how insignificant humans are in the grand scheme? Like canonically when the elder gods awake humans have been extinct for millions of years and two other races have lived and died since
>>
>>53525981
It's true, in lovecraft's case his xenophobia was really more of a true phobia, unlike the contemporary use of the word to mean "not liking people from other cultures". He had an irrational fear of outsiders, in the same way arachnophobes have irrational fear of spiders. Of course, as he grew older he became more experienced with the world, and lost a lot of his fear. He even married a jewish woman.
>>
>>53510196
>prove me wrong
The fact that you can fight and win against the threat disproves your point. The entire concept behind Lovecraft's work is the insignificance of man. While that may make for a shitty RPG experience, it works excellently for a horror novel.
>>
>>53526042
The point isn't that, but that these entities are so much more than us that they could destroy us without even noticing us -- if Cthulhu rolls out of bed, the world ends, but he doesn't notice or care.
>>
>>53526102
Cthulu got killed by a boat hitting him in the head.

You're argument is stupid.
>>
File: 1491596629736.jpg (44KB, 500x312px) Image search: [Google]
1491596629736.jpg
44KB, 500x312px
>>53510486
>>
>>53526243
Except it doesn't matter in the long run you mong. The old ones can't be understood or truly defeated.
>>
>>53526195
well Cthulhu would notice, and would love to kill us all, but he can only wake up when the stars are right. The last time he woke up when the stars were a bit off, and he got btfo by a boat, and had to go back to sleep. Though if he woke up when the stars were right he could drive everyone on the planet insane at will.
But Cthulhu is also truly insignificant. He is a priest of the outer gods, we are to cthulhu as he is to azathoth, who truly doesn't care.
>>
>>53526269
I definitely find it hard to understand how you can get hit and killed by a boat to the head when you're a kilometer tall or more tall and the boat should be the equivalent of a mosquito to you.

Talk about being a looloo pansy entity.
>>
>>53510196
imaginative thinking while reading = unlimited fps
bloodborne = 30fps
>>
>>53526302
As >>53526289 said, the stars weren't quite right, so Cthulhu was nowhere near full power, and thus could get memed on by a boat.
>>
>>53526336
>cucked by the stars
lmao
>>
>>53525725
Play Trail of Cthulu, it's a different system built around finding clues and Roleplaying what you do with them instead of treating investigations like they're dungeons.
>>
>>53510196
Darkest Dumgeon did it better than your all-our-games-are-the-same hacks.

Now that I think of it, all Asian studios are capable of is basically retellings of the same story/same characters (Zelda etc.) or same gameplay with a "new" story slapped on like DMC and Souls series.
>>
>>53526365
> or same gameplay with a "new" story slapped on like DMC and Souls series.
And it's usually a piss poor job either way.

Thanks soulless nips.
>>
>>53526042
The point of Lovecraft is how insignificant humanity is.

It's like looking at Boötes void, only to see a spherical eye open up beyond the stars. Then it stares in your direction, just long enough for it to blink. Then it closes, undetected and unseen by all except you.
It's the idea that there are horrors and wonders you simply cannot understand. Horrors that care nothing for you, your existance, or your world.

Personally, I think the reason Lovecraft is surviving in the public eye for so long is because we're becoming more and more afraid he was right.
>>
>>53526403
>we're becoming more and more afraid he was right.
jfc kiddo
>>
File: 1449859854294.jpg (200KB, 1236x795px) Image search: [Google]
1449859854294.jpg
200KB, 1236x795px
>>53510144
Nobody cares if you're sick of Lovecraft, and racism is not a bad thing. OP is faggot.
>>
>>53526023
I would argue that Miyizaki's better mental state and experience (and the fact that he has the advantage of years of advancement in storytelling) means that he was able to more thoroughly explore the themes of Lovecraft's work. I would also say his modern upbringing allowed him to explore things that Lovecraft might not have thought of at the time, such as the relationship and limits between the old ones and humans, and I think even to some extent between artists and the audience, and even the worlds they create.
>>
>>53526423
that sounded way too edgy and melodramatic, but it's kind of accurate. It's the same as the point of "god is dead"
>>
File: 1473975388453.jpg (117KB, 960x714px) Image search: [Google]
1473975388453.jpg
117KB, 960x714px
HP Lovecraft has become something of a meme.
no, it is definitely a meme...to the point of Will Wheaton going "tentacles, tentacles..."

you wanna do Lovecraft right?

invent a whole new mythos.
then include in the shadowy background things that you know would frighten your players.
and give them clues that run in circles but never point at 'thing'
>>
>>53526423
He has a point. The more we learn about the universe, the more it seems like we're ultimately doomed and meaningless.
>>
>>53510144
>sjw and a neckbeard fa/tg/uy
An unholy starchild indeed.
>>
>>53526102
In the game you don't actually confront any core aspect of any great ones, you either fight experimental kin to the great ones, or fight a physical aspect of them, which is more an extension of their consciousness into something we can comprehend more than it is an actual manifestation of the great ones themselves.
>>
>>53513500
He also described Spaniards as strong and good looking
>>
>>53526102
Reminder that pic related was originally a part of the mythos.There can be hope and heroics Its just that in the end its all meaningless
>>
File: 1493619345520.jpg (90KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
1493619345520.jpg
90KB, 1024x576px
>>53510144

In most respects, the mythos attributed to Lovecraft, or things "Lovecraftian" have more to do with the people who came after him.

You aren't sick of Lovecraft, you're sick of the mythos perpetuated by August Derleth, Robert Bloch, and Ramsey Campbell to name a few. Derleth and others like him who were Lovecraft's contemporaries expanded on his concepts making a series of works that are largely populated with their own creations but attributed to Lovecraft. Those concepts that Lovecraft did create he barely mentioned. Most of cosmic horrors popular nowadays who people shorthand to Lovecraft, like Shub-Niggurath, as an example, were written about actually very little, leaving his contemporaries to flesh it out. The Yellow King is another example, a creation people include into Lovecraft's world but actually created by Robert W. Chambers, a man who actually inspired Lovecraft.
>>
>>53526620
That pic is more of an eldritch abomination than lovecrafts half baked shenanigans.
>>
>>53526672
Anon, do you enjoy pretending to be retarded?
>>
>>53526620
seriously everyone should read the king in yellow, at least the first four chapters. It's very interesting and not that long, and free online.
https://www.gutenberg.org/files/8492/8492-h/8492-h.htm
>>
>>53510144
While Lovecraft was considered racist even for his time, it doesn't really show in his stories. Only example I can think of offhand is that one scene in Call of Cthulhu with the swamp cult.

That said, the problem with the injection of "lovecraft" into stories is that it's generally done by people who have never actually read his stories and are presented as DUDE INSANITY LMAO
>>
>>53526701
Do you?
>>
Lovecraft's themes were pretty revolutionary for its time but at this point they have largely been adapted and built on by just about everyone.

Modern society is a hell of a lot more secular and cynical than before. Almost a hundred years of sci-fi happened since Lovecraft's stories and the idea that humanity is at best just another small player in the universe is well established.
>>
>>53514161
If only the autistic of today were as talanted
>>
>>53526616
Contemplates the Riddle of Steel

Lose 5 San
>>
>>53526773
Yes which means it time to focus on the other aspect of Lovecraft. Human impotence is a great one. Show that all our scientific advances are minor compared to what a redneck can do with a few books from the middle ages.
>>
File: 23085581544_8224f863b7_o.jpg (113KB, 750x300px) Image search: [Google]
23085581544_8224f863b7_o.jpg
113KB, 750x300px
>>53526440
I respectfully disagree.
>>
>>53526403
Eh, I'd say the opposite really. The point was to challenge the anthropocentric view that was a given at the time. While it's not completly gone, we for the most part don't see ourselves as the center of the universe anymore. The "Oh, we're so inconsequential before you, oh Great Cthulhu!" thing dosn't really work when Cthulhu operates on too large a scale as to be inconsequential to us. The fear of the unknown and cultural nostalgia is what's keeping Lovecraft around these days.
>>
>>53526718
I wear no mask.
>>
>>53526870
Charles Stross' modern Lovecraft-inspired stories like Colder War, but ultimately it's the same recycled themes with some urban fantasy/ political thriller mixed in.
>>
>>53526890
I can understand that. I also forgot to write like half that post and meant to mention that one very important thing is that Lovecraft did innovate in a lot of ways, whereas miyizaki has always been better at expanding others ideas.
>>
>>53526426
Cool pic, where's it from
>>
File: laughing_elf.png (101KB, 210x195px) Image search: [Google]
laughing_elf.png
101KB, 210x195px
>autism of this caliber is allowed on this site
Anon, I...
>>
>>53526365
>all Asian studios are capable of is basically retellings of the same story/same characters
If you're going to be that reductionist we already know that 95% of stories are the same story called "The Hero's Journey". The monomyth is the story about life that we want to hear over and over.
>>
>>53527177
Welcome to /tg/, you must be new here.
>>
>>53510196
>Bloodborne took everything Lovecraft ever came up with and presented a vastly better story and setting using its concepts, all while not being hilariously racist.
I wouldn't say it's outright better than Lovecraft, but it definitely is one of the best Cosmic Horror concepts in a long time

>>53514161
not to mention how much of a terrible influence his aunts were

>>53513536
same, Bloodborne's style works much better for an RPG than standard Mythos stuff(although Dreamlands/Hyborian Age games also work pretty well)

>>53525621
you want something hard to read, try reading the original version of The Night Land sometime, makes Lovecraft's writing quirks seem quaint in comparison
>>
>>53510144
>ANOTHER FUCKING MILLENNIAL NUMALE
>HUNDRED YEARS AGO
I think you missed the point of millennials buddy.
>>
>>53510847
>reaches it's crescendo
>>
File: image.png (449KB, 1239x1239px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
449KB, 1239x1239px
>>
>>53514022
>literally wrote a story building up to the idea that the main character was something horrible and the character found out he was black.
>>
File: 1457436181376.gif (99KB, 950x726px) Image search: [Google]
1457436181376.gif
99KB, 950x726px
>>53510160
I'm liking the new copypasta you have going there. I wanna use it.

Someone, make another one using this pasta but make it different so I can get a feel on what to change to fit what we're rambling about.
>>
>>53528308
You're wrong.
>>
File: 54235432542.jpg (21KB, 250x351px) Image search: [Google]
54235432542.jpg
21KB, 250x351px
>>
>>53528434
>If your players approach you with plans to [ ], you have NO right to refuse them. Now, I know what you're going to say:
>>B-b-b-but muh [ ]
>>B-b-b-but muh [ ]
>>B-b-b-but mommy, [ ] make me scared
>Shut up. You shouldn't be DMing. Your players are trying to make something interesting out of your generic, rational setting, and you're throwing it back in their faces. You have NO right to be DMing - just give your notes to one of your players, they can do a better job than you can.
>TL/DR, if you can't handle [ ] in a modern setting, you shouldn't be a DM.
>>
so, is Lovecraft alt-right?
>>
>>53529168
Considering he grew up and dropped his literal fear of other cultures as he grew up, I'd say no.
>>
>>53526718
>everyone should read the king in yellow
Nice try Hastur.
>>
>>53529168
No, Lovecraft eventually had sex.
>>
>>53510144
everyone laugh at the whiny faggot, hahaahhahahahah
>>
>>53510144
I think you'll find most people that include "Lovecraft" in their setting actually mean Derleth
>>
I identify as a great old one and this thread is a microagression against me.
>>
File: baitkrieg.jpg (52KB, 1000x584px) Image search: [Google]
baitkrieg.jpg
52KB, 1000x584px
>>
>>53510160
They can totoally try that, but no Azathoth will come, because there is no Azathothz in my setting, only cold darkness between the stars.
>>
>>53526426
/thread
>>
>humanity is ultimately insignificant
>literally hundreds of ancient mega cities and temples on earth
>countless eldritch beings which specifically target humans for corruptions
>things like nyarlathotep which is a human dick rider

the cthluhu mythos was a mistake, contradicts itself at every turn. Earth was a fucking beehive of activity, hardly irrelevant.
>>
>>53531629
I thought there was only R'lyeh, the city from At the Mountains of Madness, and a bunch of Mi-go and Deep One settlements scattered around.

The only beings besides Nyarly that specifically target humans are lesser races which are basically just regular aliens and interdimensional creatures. The "humanity is insignificant" theme still holds up when the rest of the Mythos is full of godlike beings with bigger fish to fry and aliens that, at best, use humanity as a test subject.

I agree that trying to codify everything the way Derleth did is fucking stupid but I'd hardly consider the fact that a bunch of shit happened on earth suddenly makes humanity significant.
>>
>>53526426
>racism is not a bad thing
>>
>>53510196
>all while not being hilariously racist.
POC detected
>>
>>53525977
Nigga he was racist even by the standards of the twenties
>>
>>53525977
He named his cat Nigger-man
>>
>>53531629
It's like a small village far away from the center of the kingdom or whatever. Humanity is the little bugs, ants and such, crawling in that village's woodwork.
>>
File: 1454177053229.jpg (36KB, 618x466px) Image search: [Google]
1454177053229.jpg
36KB, 618x466px
>>53531629
>he didn't read The Other Gods
>>
File: fucking what?.jpg (45KB, 550x766px) Image search: [Google]
fucking what?.jpg
45KB, 550x766px
>>53531629
>He didn't actually read it
>>
>>53510144
Seems like an overreaction. I mean, most homebrew settings are shit, regardless of influences. And lovecraft is pretty deeply ingrained in the core fantasy cliche - like Tolkien, newer authors can easily reference him without even realizing it.

Is there one specific "lovecraft" trope that annoys you? Is it just the Cthulhu-mythos "unknowable horrors" thing? What about the ancient aliens? The underground civilizations? The traveling in dreams to different universes?
>>
>>53527138
I think it was from Pathfinder's Horror splat, stupidly enough.
>>
>>53510196
Bloodborne is cool, but I wouldn't necessarily say "better". Just another take on the same ideas. Eternal Darkness and Darkest Dungeon were other games that did some cool things with the material.

>>53510237
Sure, if you're just copypasting lovecraft, it's going to feel played - it is. That doesn't mean you can't do anything new with the tropes. Lots of more recent popular authors - Steven King, Mike Mignola, Neil Gaiman, and China Mieville most obviously - have made a mark playing around with the basic lovecraft template.

>>53513895
>The Color out of Space is pretty good too, honestly.
Might be my favorite lovecraft story. It's one of his more efficient ones, and the imagery is extremely hard to get out of your head. Helps that it hasn't been copied as much as some others.

>>53526774
>If only the autistic of today were as talanted
This just in - Tom Cruise movies do not paint an accurate picture of real life. There's no (proven) causal connection between intelligence and autism.
>>
>>53531756
That is correct.

However, the mythos does contradict itself, mostly because Lovecraft didn't worry about thinking about it as a separate setting. He just wrote spoopy stories and the backstory of some of those happen to share some elements with the backstory of some others of those.
>>
>>53516674
It's also pretty obvious from his correspondence that HPL was, even compared to other fantasy authors, extremely introverted. He was probably just an underdeveloped manchild who (surprise, surprise) matured as he got older. Not to excuse his spouting bigoted nonsense, but I'm guessing it came from a place of ignorance more than real hatred.

C'mon, this is /tg. We ALL have a friend like this, right? The guy with "no filter" that keeps randomly pissing people off, but we let him hang around because we know he's actually not really a bad dude, he's just trying to get used to the new meds (or whatever).
>>
>>53510144

SJW git out REEEEE.
>>
>>53526302
>killed
>>
>>53525309
>Him being a racist xenophobe is part of his enduring appeal, though. Stay mad, leftist scum.
I think he's probably more popular with the left than the right. I'm pretty sure the "your god is a lie" thing trumps the "xenophobia hooray" thing. Basically:

>>53526042
>Isn't the point of Lovecraft not the spooky aliens but how insignificant humans are in the grand scheme?
This. The core view of the right is still a anthropocentric one. The main reason extreme conservatives get so mad about various "science" - from Copernicus to Darwin to Hawkins - is that it paints a picture of a universe where mankind isn't merely Not The Center, but in fact is barely worthy of notice. In that light, traditional religions and worldviews appear preposterous. It's one of the main fears lovecraft was playing on, and one that would have been even scarier then than it is now.
>>
>>53527475
What did his aunts do to him?
>>
>>53510144
> numale

Thats funny, coming from someone who started a thread so he would have a place to whine like a bitch.
>>
>>53526426
Why doesn't he just shoot the blob.
>>
>>53510196
>not being racist
You had me sold until then
>>
>>53510196
the racism in Lovecraft's works is part of the appeal, his stories would never have been written without his xenophobia
>>
>>53510144
Tell us where shub niggurath touched you, anon
>>
>>53525977
it comes out a lot through his stories you dumb faggot
>>
>>53526042
No. The point is the spooky aliens, or rather, not the aliens but that they are spooky. He wasn't trying to say something profound about humanity's place in the universe. He was trying to write things that scared you. The best way to scare people that are full of themselves is to make humanity (and by extension, the reader) utterly insignificant since that is the antithesis of being full of yourself.
>>
>>53518730
I wish you would stay on reddit, 4chan was casually racist before /pol/, niggerfaggot

>troon

actually go back to SA
>>
>>53533881
Get off your atheist circle jerk youtube videos and star realizing the core of the right isn't evangelicals, it's not fucking 2008 and your backwards views of politics aren't relevant anymore.
>>
>TRYING TO COPY SOME RACIST XENOPHOBE WHO DIED A HUNDRED YEARS AGO
What's so bad about it?
>>
>>53534078
Most of them skip the Racist Xenophobe part.
>>
>>53533993
Where do you aim to do the most damage?

>inb4 the eyes
>>
>>53528711
>>If your players approach you with plans to [DO BUGFUCK RETARDED ACTION ], you have NO right to refuse them. Now, I know what you're going to say:
>>>B-b-b-but muh [COMMON SENSE ]
>>>B-b-b-but muh [LOGICAL ACTIONS ]
>>>B-b-b-but mommy, [IDIOTS WHO DO STUPID THINGS FOR NO REASON ] make me scared
>>Shut up. You shouldn't be DMing. Your players are trying to make something interesting out of your generic, rational setting, and you're throwing it back in their faces. You have NO right to be DMing - just give your notes to one of your players, they can do a better job than you can.
>>TL/DR, if you can't handle [BRAINDEAD IDIOTS] in a modern setting, you shouldn't be a DM.

So like this?
>>
File: he literally thought this.jpg (54KB, 458x288px) Image search: [Google]
he literally thought this.jpg
54KB, 458x288px
>>53534094
>>53534130

Embrace the Racist Xenophobe part. Play it for laughs.
>>
>>53534057
I didn't say the "core of the right", I said the extreme right. I'm not throwing shit at you conservative normals who believe in a fiscally responsible government and free-market economics, anon. I'm sure we could find some things to argue about if we got into it, but I imagine we'd also be able to agree on what constitutes consensus reality (and maybe even have a real discussion). Even if you're religious, you're not religious in the same way that your great-grandparents were.

The point is, I'm equally sure you're also not the target of the "HPL appeals to conservatives because he's racist" post. Of course the core of the right isn't evangelical "god created velociraptors in 26000 BC" wackjobs, any more than it's a bunch of neo-nazi troglodytes who've never met a person of a different race or culture.

My point was just this - those (extreme) groups, the same nuts who are likely to view HPL's racism in a positive light, are even more likely to be deeply offended by his cosmological views. Further, there are a greater proportion of religious people to the right of the aisle. HPL's mythos fundamentally challenges traditional religion, ergo, the assertion that he'd appeal more to the right than to the left is probably false.
>>
>>53534334
>I said the extreme right.

You'd be doubly retarded then because what's considered "the extreme right" is a-religious and can't agree on whether to be Christian racist or Pagan racists.

You make yourself sound like an idiot if you're still griping about the religious right, which hasn't had any political relevance since Bush.

You fit all the stereotypes of an ignorant "skeptic" goon faggot.
>>
>>53534334
>. HPL's mythos fundamentally challenges traditional religion, ergo, the assertion that he'd appeal more to the right than to the left is probably false.

You are a nerd and don't understand anything about politics, ergo you're wrong. In hoc sum victus faggotus.
>>
>>53534334
Free-market fundamentalism is an extreme left view. It's simply that in the United States, neoliberals who want complete deregulation are allied with the Republican Party, which trends conservative.
>>
There's literally nothing wrong with xenophobia or racism.
>>
>>53534243
Why play the moral of the story for laughs?
>>
>>53510144
You do know the system is named Call of Cuthulu for a reason, right?
>>
File: 1495774021597.jpg (168KB, 500x818px) Image search: [Google]
1495774021597.jpg
168KB, 500x818px
>>53534444
>Free-market fundamentalism is an extreme left view
>>
File: 1495590251227.jpg (7KB, 199x199px) Image search: [Google]
1495590251227.jpg
7KB, 199x199px
>>53510144

>>53526047
In all fairness, he married her and THEN he got less xenophobic. I'd say she probably helped him get over it.
>>
File: Excuse_Me_Guard.png (742KB, 1057x895px) Image search: [Google]
Excuse_Me_Guard.png
742KB, 1057x895px
>>53534361
>a-religious
>oscillate between religions
Excuse me, commissar..
>>
>>53534514
>THEN he got less xenophobic.
Uhhh
No... After he divorced the Jewess he published some of his most (((xenophobic))) work.
>>
>>53510144
Well, summer's here.
>>
>>53526616

Reminder that there is no mythos at all. They were just more or less isolated stories with similar themes. They may occasionally have made mention of people, places, and events in other stories, but they were not one cohesive universe.

Additionally, Conan was written by a different author, and is not a part of the "mythos" even if they (Howard and Lovecraft) occasionally swapped ideas and made references toward each other's stories.
>>
>write stories about forbidden knowledge from the outer realm
>get called xenophobic because your creations weren't cuddly enough
>Don't like the blacks because they ruin things
Nope you have a mental disorder, who wouldn't want crime and riots?! Wanting to live around your people is stupid hostility breeds community more than unity does, pfff we are so much more enlightened now a days
#Prey4Manchester
>>
>>53526302
He didn't get killed you absolute retard. The narrator specifically describes him healing immediately after being hit, and it was not a "boat", it was a steam ship at full speed
>>
File: meep meep meep.jpg (15KB, 250x381px) Image search: [Google]
meep meep meep.jpg
15KB, 250x381px
>this entire godawful thread
>>
>>53525725
There isn't much difference between editions of CoC. Don't run The Haunting, it kind of sucks. Delta Green might be more digestible to new players.
>>
File: Spanish Policeman.jpg (321KB, 1024x688px) Image search: [Google]
Spanish Policeman.jpg
321KB, 1024x688px
>>53526535
I wonder why.
>>
>>53534730
There's a lot to unpack here, for one brief shitpost. 8/10 would be baited again.
>>
>>53534730
3/10 I responded
>>
>>53534948
Hot blooded Latino/10 would write into novel
>>
>>53510144
>>53510196
This entire thread is b8.
Who the fuck cares about racism anymore? It's such an overused term that it might as well be dead.

There are plenty of reason for thinking HPL is shit, but 'hilarious racism' seems meaningless. 'The Turner Diaries' is racist. HPL barely registers compared to that.
>>
>>53534361
>You make yourself sound like an idiot if you're still griping about the religious right, which hasn't had any political relevance since Bush.
And you sound like a child, talking about things that are generational and ideological conflicts, and then mentioning something from a decade ago like that's a long time. With the exception of wars and natural disasters, demographics don't usually change much over the course of just 10 or 20 years.

>>53534370
>You are a nerd
Ah yes, calling someone a nerd on /tg. The classics never go out of style. (kudos for the latin though)

>>53534444
The definitions of "left" and "right" are obviously fuzzy and change over time, but at a basic level I'd argue that Right stands for "keep things the same" and the Left stands for "change things". Super basic definition, but there it is. Since the western world was formerly more free-market and seems to be moving slowly toward more regulation, I'd argue that free market is generally Right and regulation is generally Left. YMMV.
>>
>>53534629
It IS really nice outside. Isn't it neat how it's 2017 and we can wirelessly shitpost from a park bench?

I think that's neat.
>>
>>53535893
>wirelessly shitpost from a park bench?
wait i need to do this
>>
>>53535893
>not shitposting rain or shine
Rookie
>>
>>53534370
>faggotus
Faggote. You're speaking to him, not about him. Use proper noun cases.
>>
>>53510144
Fucking this. Dipshit was talentless hack and /pol/ incarnate and pasty fucksticks are parading his mental fecal matter like some holy icon. There are HOUNDEREDS better authors out there than this old racist wacko.
>>
File: 1486851774938.gif (2MB, 400x299px) Image search: [Google]
1486851774938.gif
2MB, 400x299px
Why do people from tumblr come to 4chan when tumblr already exists
>>
>>53536227
>>>/pol/
>>
>>53536172
How can he be pol if he married a jew?
>checkmate
>>
>>53536252
yes
thats a board on 4chan, congratulations on finding it
>>
>>53518763
I'd honestly rather read Lovecraft's prose than any fiction written in the last twenty years.
>>
I really can't see why someone would actually care if Lovecraft was racist.
>>
>>53536475
>white stright man says he can't be offended.
>>
>>53510160
Not OP but going to play devils advocate, if rule 0 is in effect then its in effect. I know what you're going to say:

>>B-b-b-but muh player agency
>B-b-b-but its a story game
>B-b-b-but good DMs don't interfere with player actions.

That would be true if the players weren't a bunch of simpering autists whose sole goal in game is to fuck up the whole thing because they want to be edgy REEEEEEing assholes.

>>53510144
OP if you're players are that fucking stupid, walk away and find better players.
>>
>>53536257
>married a jew because she took every initiative in the relationship, he was too autistic to do anything on his own
>would go on antisemitic rants at her on the reg
Definitely /pol/
>>
>>53536781
wtf i love lovecraft now
>>
>>53536500
I don't think anyone is saying that they can't be offended. Some people just don't believe anyone has the right to not be.
>>
>>53510144
Just for you I add some more eugenics and extra tentacles.
>>
>>53536172
He, for some reason, really loved the Spanish.
>>
>>53537172

>El Cid
>Throws Saracens back across the Gibraltar
>Reconquista
>Expeditions to the Americas
>Conquest of the Aztecs
>Spanish treasure fleets

I mean, sure, we can make fun of them for being mixed Iberian Celts, Greek colonists, Moors, and Basque, but they were genuine badasses for a while.
>>
>>53537586
He also hated Germans and the Irish, Irish Catholics the most.
>>
>>53536172
And yet he redefined an entire genre of writing.

Funny how talentless hacks can do that when current writers can't manage to write themselves out of a paper bag.
>>
>>53525977
Having read Herbert West: Re-Animator, I can say you're full of shit.
>>
>>53538725
There's nothing wrong with today's writers, there are plenty of H.P Lovecraft's out there right now. The only difference is that we tend to only hear about the good art of any given period, while the just as frequent shitty works got pushed into irrelevance. Things seem shitty now because you get to see every shitty thing that comes out, whereas you only see the good stuff from the past.
>>
>>53540126
He wasn't making a statement about the overall quality of literature then versus now. He was making fun of another anon who claimed that Lovecraft's work has no merit.
>>
>>53533692
There's an inverse relationship between intelligence and autism, although there are exceptions.
>>
>>53534243
Where is this from?
>>
>>53538725
Did he really redefine a genre or did he create a whole new genre? If its the latter, one could compare it to post modernist art (a sham itself).
>>
>>53514918
Does this actually happen in any of his tales?
>>
Clark Ashton Smith > HPL
Unlike HPL, Smith knows how to write and doesn't have a faggot infested fanbase
>>
>>53528196
You can reach a crescendo.
>>
>>53527194
Campbell was a hack.
>>
>>53519047
the color out of space was a good one because it had nothing to do with outer gods.
It was the story of a radioactive meteorite that drove the locals mad, poisoned/mutated/irradiated its surroundings and couldn't be explained because people didn't understand radiation back then.
At the time it would have been as good as any of the others, but in an age where we understand atomic physics, it's very interesting to see the past perspective turned into a horror story.
>>
nautical looking negro here,i don't care that hp was racist. i can look past it. it doesn't define his work other than the obvious meme (shub nigga wrath). if someones ideals makes you not like their work then you're just as short sighted as the person you claim to dislike.
>>
>>53510144
>millenial
>numale

wew
>>
>>53510144
and people tell me quests being kicked off tg improved the board

its shit as always, especially with garbo threads like this
>>
>>53536172
>HOUNDEREDS

Houndereds...of Tindalos?
>>
>>53542966
google search yields easy results.

an alan moore lovecraft comic
>>
>Lovecraft
>"racism"

I'll just cite this gigantic >100,000 word analysis deconstructing that: https://radishmag.wordpress.com/2014/04/21/cosmic-horror/
>>
>>53545454
Could have been more specific, cunt.
Also it was Planetary/The Authority: Ruling the World
>alan moore
no it isn't.
>>
It's that time of year again already, isn't it?
>>
>>53545508
Is this whole thing just him sarcastically quoting people and refusing to accept Lovecraft might have just been an asshole
it wasn't as if Lovecraft at any point tried to have a serious discussion on the matter, most of his writings on race boiled down to:
>niggers r just people god left in the oven too long lol
Or thinly veiled metaphors on why race mixing is aliens.
That's not to say he wasn't a good writer, and people who think we need to ignore his works are obviously idiots, but if even Lovecraft thought Lovecraft was too racist, he might have just been racist.
>>
>>53525977
>>53532352
Basically even people in the 20s considered him racist.
>>
/tg/ is by far the most easily baited gullible sfw board on this website
>>
>>53549254
You haven't been to /k/, have you?
>>
>>53534020
>>53525977
>Literally wrote stories where the "Horror" is race mixing.
>The Racism doesn't come out in his stories.

Even the ones that aren't about niggers boil down to "The universe is scary because rich white men aren't in charge of everything.
>>
>>53532274
>Using the word POC while being unapologeticly racist.
http://www.clickhole.com/article/inspiring-progressive-bully-torments-transgender-s-4458
>>
File: dreammap-olderversion.jpg (2MB, 1440x960px) Image search: [Google]
dreammap-olderversion.jpg
2MB, 1440x960px
The Dreamlands are Lovecraft's greatest creation. I'd ask you to prove me wrong, but it's impossible.
>>
>>53526958
I think Stross is going well with the slow grind bleakness in the Laundry series though. The stars are aligning, conditions are deteoriating and there's nothing that can be done about it. Things like SCORPION STARE are terrible creations intended as bandaid solutions that have thus far been ineffective.
>>
The problem is that normies think adding tentacles makes it a Lovecraft monster. If it doesn't fill you with a sense of cosmic dread and nihilism, you're doing it wrong.
>>
>>53549420

The internet is a lovecraft monster. It's endless, full of madness, and drives people insane.
>>
>>53549461
I really would of liked to see what he would think of modern things like nukes, the Internet and space exploration.
>>
>>53510236
>working for Odin to keep the eldricht horror gods in place
If any of your players have played WoW:Legion, he's not going to be surprised
>>
>>53549361
Normally I would call you a faggot and mention that the burden of proof is on you to back up your statment, but you are correct even though you are a massive faggot.
>>
>>53550137
Well after he was done vomiting from how badly Derleth fucked everything, he would probably go catatonic after using the internet for a half hour and never recover.
>>
>>53533917
both his aunts and his mother brought him up as an excessively sheltered and overprotected child. They almost never let him play with other children of the neighbourhood, whom they deemed inferior, and they instilled in him ideas of elitism.
>>
File: Costanza.jpg (331KB, 5000x5000px) Image search: [Google]
Costanza.jpg
331KB, 5000x5000px
>>53549361
>his greatests creation
>half of it is burrowed from other authors
>>
>>53534839
Iirc the big difference is in 7e they actually researched real psychological issues and talked to experts rather than using pure bullshit madness.
>>
>itt SJWs try to besmirch the work of a man 1000x greater than they will ever hope be in their wildest dreams

No wonder you are a bunch of cucks.
>>
>>53551015
exactly
>>
>>53510144
>hurr durr racism

why are you people so retarded?

is a story really completely thrown away if the gay is racist?
>>
File: Mind_flayer_-_5E.jpg (359KB, 1000x1375px) Image search: [Google]
Mind_flayer_-_5E.jpg
359KB, 1000x1375px
any cool ideas for mind flayers?
>>
>>53550871
>burrowed
>inb4 english isn't my first language
>>
>>53534243
as much as I otherwise like Planetary I loathe this story, Lovecraft might have been a xenophobe but he wasn't a moron like this comic made him out to be, he was incredibly intelligent* for someone who never finished High School or went to College

*although I'd say his Wisdom score was below average in comparison
>>
File: Dreamlands enhanced.jpg (3MB, 2765x1844px) Image search: [Google]
Dreamlands enhanced.jpg
3MB, 2765x1844px
>>53549361
>The Dreamlands are Lovecraft's greatest creation.
not sure if they're the greatest creation of his, but it's definitely one of the easiest to use for Gaming purposes

also just ordered the physical poster for this map
>>
File: toughluckpal.jpg (58KB, 720x529px) Image search: [Google]
toughluckpal.jpg
58KB, 720x529px
>>53551327
>>
I like the Pratchett approach

>It was an eldritch bathtub. She was pretty sure eldritch just meant oblong.
>>
>>53545508
>deconstructing
Marxists go and stay go
>>
>>53510144
Yeah, Zendikar and Eldrazi bullshit annoys me too, especially how the little kids eat it up in droves and think their big squid monster is the coolest thing ever when they're highly toxic to the lore and game both.
>>
>>53510160
>azathoth
>summonable

If he ever wakes up the dream that is everything ends. Even the other gods try to keep him asleep with their music because if he wakes up they are just as fucked.
>>
>>53532352
>>53549180
Early Lovecraft was a KKK-tier racist. He grew out of it, by all means gradually, but he wasn't the xenophobe he had been by the late 1930s.
>>
>>53549361
This >>53551327 the Dreamlands was Lovecraft writing Dunsany-inspired fantasy that let him fit in with the rest of the pulp fiction gang. It's not surprise that his best works come after mid-1927 when he finished Kadath.
>>
>>53532505
It was actually a fairly common name for pets. See Guy Gibson's dog.
>>
>>53535831
>You state somethinghing that contradicts me so to disarm your challenge, I call you a child, thus implying that you are underdeveloped and therefore can be dismissed without consideration.

Really showed him.
>>
>>53550246
This. Today's world would be a complete nightmare for Lovecraft, just looking at what happened to Britain alone.
>>
>summer children come to /tg/ to police people on what they shouldn't like because it's "racist"
>any opposition is met with "go back to /pol/ xD"
>>
>>53552002
You do realize that /pol/ is one of the most newfag crowded board on the website, right?
>>
>>53552019
Yes. Which is why I don't go to that shithole.That doesn't mean schoolkids who visit /pol/ for the first time and get triggered need to come to other boards to flip out.
>>
>>53552041
>Which is why I don't go to that shithole.
Problem is the shithole came to us about a year ago.
>>
>>53549420
But are modern people capableof experiencing existential horror? A 1920s man at the peak of imperialist civilisation would find the wiping away of all accumulated hard work and human decency nightmarish. The destruction of his culture and everything he values.

A modern soyboy wouldn't be fazed, because he's used to moral relativity and a meaningless life.

I propose objective moralities are the new cosmic horror.
>>
>>53552106
And in response I put forward buzzword as the new cosmic horror.
>>
>>53533795
Leaves me wondering what he would have become like, had he lived longer, and the works this older, mature Lovecraft would have produced.
>>
>>53552067
4chan has always been ground 0 for new memes and new ideas. I've noticed a lot of leftist and rightist come on random boards to duke it out in attempts to change board culture. Problems arise when innocuous things that are board-related become politicized and shit on.
OP being an example.
>>
>>53552297
>4chan has always been ground 0 for new ideas
And that's why so many amazing new games and brilliant stories come out of 4chan as opposed to dedicated forums and kick starter.
>>
>>53552297
Precisely that. I don't give a damn who posts here, but it should be about traditional games and not political ideologies.
>>
>>53552319
Not saying that they are perfected here, just that they usually start here. I'm mostly talking about memes and popular culture. There's a huge desire on both sides to win the culture war, so of course they are shilling, fighting, and subverting all over this place.
>>
>>53543884
>You can reach a crescendo.

I believe it was the "it's" that he was trying to feel smugly superior about.
>>
>>53510144
>XCTHUT'FDGSHKDFG'DFJIBHGDFJIG
Stat him
>>
>>53551973
>Really showed him.
Actually wasn't really my intention, I'm not trying to win an argument about politics on /tg. (I mean, why?)

The poster really did sound like a (literal) kid. The comments seemed like they came from someone who wasn't even aware the political landscape existed 10 years ago... which probably puts him/her somewhere south of 20 years old.

TBF my response was also a bit snippy and childish, so I'll take my share of blame for pulling the thread off in that direction.
>>
>>53516301
It's interesting you say this considering this thread is still going with 303 replies but another thread about Lovecraft's activly describing RPGs in the setting died in 25 replies.
>>
>>53550246
>Well after he was done vomiting from how badly Derleth fucked everything, he would probably go catatonic after using the internet for a half hour and never recover.
I actually don't think lovecraft would care as much about Derleth's alt-mythos as his fanboys do. Those pulp era writers were (mostly) all buds, and borrowed eachothers' material relentlessly.

The internet would probably be a bit much, though, at least initially. Then he'd probably start churning out Fringe fanfic at an alarming rate, and spend a lot of time shitposting to various 4chan boards. Probably never publish another legitimate story or novella.
>>
>>53510144
Mmm, your tears are truly delicious!

P.S.: Keep crying, manchild! ;)
>>
>>53551015
Aren't you busy being afraid of vegetables and getting literally cucked by your Jewish wife, Howard?
>>
>>53551319
>Armageddon is coming
>only chance to save the knowlege of the humaniods is to steal their brains
"Sure I may have killed you, but you will thank me later"
>>
File: 1431009831886.jpg (164KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
1431009831886.jpg
164KB, 1280x960px
>>53510144
have you even read him before? or do you just not like tentecles because it reminds you of that one time you fapped out of desperation on /d/?

give some reasons bud,

p.s. nice dubs.
>>
>>53510144

Tell us how you really feel, anon.
>>
>>53510144

Stop liking what I don't like: the post.
Thread posts: 312
Thread images: 58

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.