[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Master Ring as a magic item

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: placeholder-image.jpg (19KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
placeholder-image.jpg
19KB, 200x200px
https://www.quora.com/Why-didnt-Tolkien-give-the-One-Ring-more-offensive-powers

How would one stat the one ring as an artifact in dnd (let's say 5e, or Pathfinder, or /GURPS Dungeon fantasy/)? How would you stat out it's power? Give everyone else penalties when trying to act against you in the things youre good at?
>>
Pros
1. Grants invisibility when worn, you automatically pass most stealth checks.

Cons
1. Nine ghostly warriors occasionally try to kill you. (do we have stats for ring wraiths?)
2. Other who know you have the ring might submit to the urge to take it from you. (have them make a will save of some kind)
3. Steadily affects your mind, lowering your int stat towards 4 over time, but never drops it below 4. (gollum wasn't hella dumb, but he kinda forgot his own name)
4. It's a phylactery for the demon king sauron. This is bad, cause he wants it back. Like, badly.
>>
>>53508980
I think I'd add that the ring also slowly becomes an addiction to the wearer. Whenever there is any sort of danger to the ring, make an int save with a DC of 5 + the number of times you have already used it. If you fail, you use any means possible to keep it safe. So when your intelligence slowly goes down and that DC slowly goes up, there comes a time where you just become too addicted to ignore it and you must keep it safe. When you lose the ring and your intelligence slowly goes up again, it might be possible to pass the DC and free yourself from the addiction. But only if you haven't basically spent your whole life using the ring like gollum has, because then the DC is impossible to do and you will never be free.

Also, the ring stops any visible aging process.
>>
>>53508865
WHEN IN YOUR POSESSION:
Advantage on all charisma rolls
Disadvantage on all wisdom rolls
Must pass a DC20 Wisdom check to willingly give up the ring or allow it to come to harm
Everyone who sees the ring must pass a DC10 Wisdom check to willingly let it leave their presence

WHEN WORN:
Allows the BBEG to scry you at will
Grants a constant bonus based on the wearer's race:
- Halflings have permanent greater invisibility
- Dwarves gain no bonus, but are also immune to any negative effects of the ring
- Humans gain permanent Heroics (the spell), and permanent Aura of Terror, with a DC as if you cast it as a Sorcerer
- Elves gain one additional feat, plus another per four character levels. Thus, an 8th level Elf would gain 3 new feats
- Aasimar and Tieflings increase their character level by 30%, with a minimum of +1 level. Thus, a level 10 aasimar would gain +3 levels. If an Aasimar or Tiefling ever lose the ring, they must pass a DC25 Constitution check or die.
>>
>>53508865
It has been statted in Rolemaster and in MERP, which can be equated very easily into D&D (percentiles into d20 is a simple calculation).
>>
>>53509685
>- Aasimar and Tieflings increase their character level by 30%, with a minimum of +1 level. Thus, a level 10 aasimar would gain +3 levels. If an Aasimar or Tiefling ever lose the ring, they must pass a DC25 Constitution check or die.
They should also be alignment shifted to Evil and made NPCs because the Ring works for Sauron alone, even if other Maiar lay claim to its powers they will only become Sauron 2.
>>
>>53509738
Yeah that should really apply to everyone.

WHEN WORN:
Character must make a DC 15 Wisdom check, each week they have worn the ring. If they fail, they must adjust their alignment one step towards Lawful Evil. If their alignment ever reaches Lawful Evil, then they must pass a DC15 Wisdom check or become permanently Dominated by the BBEG.
>>
>>53509771
A week is pretty harsh, given that people have had the ring with them for long periods of time without much of an effect. I say make it DC 10 every year, at most.

DC 15 per week is when they actually get within Mordor itself. Then DC 20 per hour within Mount Doom - and DC 25 check when you try to cast it into the fire or the domination will happen.
>>
>>53509788
For lore purposes sure, but for gameplay purposes I wouldn't make it longer than a month. Most campaigns (that I've been in) typically don't even last one year in-game. Hell the entire LOTR journey was only six months.
>>
>>53509495
>Also, the ring stops any visible aging process.
I think you do still age visibly, but it's just very slowed down.

It doesn't give you more life though, just stretches out what you already have, thinner and thinner. So I'd say something along those lines.
>>
>>53509788
>people have had the ring with them for long periods of time without much of an effect
Bilbo had it while the ring was quiet, and before Sauron's power had begun to wax strong once more.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.