[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Comparative Miniature Game Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 322
Thread images: 61

File: Size Comparison.jpg (219KB, 1273x882px) Image search: [Google]
Size Comparison.jpg
219KB, 1273x882px
This thread is for comparison between miniature games. Warhammer Fantasy vs Sigmarines vs 40k vs infinity vs warmachine vs x-wing vs battletech etc.

Mainly because most threads are related to specific games on /tg/ and not discussing them in a comparative manner. This is great for discussion about specific games but not for discussion on which game to play or get into.

My current question: What is the best fantasy style miniature game? Did Age Of Sigmar stay a pile of shit or is it becoming accepted? Alternatives that are better?
>>
File: 1397865134115.jpg (22KB, 400x550px) Image search: [Google]
1397865134115.jpg
22KB, 400x550px
Infinity definitely kicks the shit out of any of the other miniatures games in terms of females and cheesecake. For some reason GW makes their females intentionally horrendous looking.
>>
>>53506106
>Alternatives that are better?
Shitton of small companies, from Scibor to Ragging Heroes.
There is also one UK company making cool monsters and beastmens BaneLegions.
>>
File: 280471-0514_1.jpg (478KB, 1920x805px) Image search: [Google]
280471-0514_1.jpg
478KB, 1920x805px
>>53506164
>Infinity definitely kicks the shit out of any of the other miniatures games in terms of models posing
fix
>>
File: CVB280380-0565[1].jpg (424KB, 722x1000px) Image search: [Google]
CVB280380-0565[1].jpg
424KB, 722x1000px
>>53506106
The Hac Tao in the picture you linked is the old sculpt for a Hac tao with Multi Rifle. This is the new sculpt.
>>
Warmachine: Simple rules, but every model has tons of unique rules making playing the game competitively require a lot of research and playtime. Cost: Moderate to High
Who wants it: Wants a game that features 20-50 models, decent depth for tactics and strategy and an evolving meta. Willing to spend ~300 dollars to have a few competitive lists.

Infinity: Relatively complex rules, but very unified. Competitive play requires practice and some research. You can look at the entry of a model you've never seen in play before and get a relatively decent estimate of capabilities.
Cost: Low to moderate
Who wants it: Someone who wants to play a game with 10-16 unique models, wants some strategic and tactical depth, and prefers not having to reach each and every models rules in order to feel ready. ~300 dollars will get you enough minis to make a large number of competitive lists and most of your faction.

40k: Simple Rules and each army has something unique in terms of rules. Competitive play is dominated by whatever is the new hotness at the time.
cost: High and potentially astronomical.
Who wants it: Someone who wants simple rules, tons of low detail minis with a few high detail centerpieces, and big tables. Not a large amount of tactical depth. Get ready to spend upwards of 500$ to have any sort of competitive level.

X-Wing: Relatively simple rules, but tons of stuff to research. Complex mind games and rewarding game play.
Cost: Low
Who wants it: Do you like fighters? Do you hate painting? Are you competitive? Are you poor? For every yes you answer this game is for you. 150$ is enough to make plenty of competitive lists if you buy smart. Less than 300$ gets you your entire faction.
>>
>>53506363
Also 40k is going through a rough patch right now. It may survive, but GW has historically been run by dicks.

Warmachine is getting close to leaving its rough patch, but could easily fall back.

X wing is currently booming.

Infinity is stronger now than its every been and I hear a lot of people are getting into it.
>>
File: DomaruButai3[1].jpg (69KB, 630x354px) Image search: [Google]
DomaruButai3[1].jpg
69KB, 630x354px
>Typical Infinity Models
>>
>>53506439
Yea they look awesome.
>>
File: Untitled__55626.1495464382[1].jpg (1MB, 1280x763px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled__55626.1495464382[1].jpg
1MB, 1280x763px
>Typical 40k Models
>>
>>53506499
>>53506439

I love both. Fight me faggot.
>>
>>53506396
It baffles me what is going on with gamesworkshop. They have to be one of the worst companies on earth.
>>
This thread will definitely go well.
>>
File: Tactical Noodle Action.jpg (120KB, 1128x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Tactical Noodle Action.jpg
120KB, 1128x1200px
>>53506164
In Infinity everything is beautiful, even fat dudes.
>>
>>53506106
>Did Age Of Sigmar stay a pile of shit or is it becoming accepted?
Both. It is a pile of shit, but still being accepted.
>Alternatives that are better?
Chess and/or chess variants and other abstract strategy games. Assuming you mean miniature games only with editions and an ever changing roster rather than a one off purchase, I'd have to go with anything that isn't GW. GW has some good games like Blood Bowl, but Fumbbl is free and better than the video games. And the game gets no love from GW. Their smaller games that are great get sidelined hard and that makes it hard to recommend because it's telling you to buy into a dead game basically. Everything gets shoved aside for AoS and 40k. Both of which have great models, but rape your wallet and the games are lacking in substance. It shows that GW considers itself a toy company rather than a gaming one because the rules are just awful.

Most other miniature games don't have the model quality GW has, but they are still pretty good and the games are usually good because they have to be in order to make money with GW sitting on top of most of the market. The main issue with them is that they are far less popular, so you'll have to do some research on what games are played near you by checking out your local game shops. Because when it comes to these smaller games it's pretty haphazard and tricky finding a community.

That's why I recommended the one off purchase types like chess/variants and other abstract strategy games. They're cheaper and come with everything you need, you can make your own pieces if you wanted to/buy nice sets, play a ton of variants, simple to just sit down and play, etc. Miniature games in general are a dying breed.
>>
>>53506106
>My current question: What is the best fantasy style miniature game?

As much as I love Infinity I want every Infinity guy to shut up for a moment. The question is about fantasy, not sci-fi.
>>
Is it pretty much accepted infinity is the best current miniature game when you consider all factors?

>>53506560
excellent post.
>>
Sometimes being the forgotten bastard child has its benefits.
>>
>>53506596
Thread is for general comparison, that was just a question. Only fantasy wargames I know about is Age of Sigmar, WHFB, and kings of war. Seemed like fantasy miniature games aren't that popular/supported tho.
>>
>>53506596
>This thread is for comparison between miniature games. Warhammer Fantasy vs Sigmarines vs 40k vs infinity vs warmachine vs x-wing vs battletech etc.

Above is the threads general topic. Below is the OPs specific question regarding said topic.

>My current question: What is the best fantasy style miniature game? Did Age Of Sigmar stay a pile of shit or is it becoming accepted? Alternatives that are better?
>>
File: minis.jpg (138KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
minis.jpg
138KB, 800x533px
Any good recommendations for skirmish games?

I was big into X-wing, but have grown a bit bored of the scene and am looking for something else. Have heard good things about Infinity, but the aesthetics don't really appeal to me.
>>
>>53506596
The line is pretty blurry sometimes. Like Star Wars is basically fantasy in space.
>>
>>53506560
I mean I like Infinity and all but if you mention it in the same sentence to comparing wargames you tend to get flooded with many people saying the same mantra, as this thread happens to be leaning towards.
>>53506596
I agree with you
>>53506106
Unforturnately, I don't have much to say about Fantasy games. My experience has been limited to Warhammer Fantasy Battles, Warmachine/Hordes, and Age of Sigmar, with a small demo game for both LotR and Kings of War. When I play fantasy, it's usually as an RPG.

I won't go as far as to write which one is "best"

I like Warmachine/Hordes for its balance of size in being skirmish-ish and decently popular if annoying competitive scene, as well as having some decently enticing fluff and models.
>>
>>53506670
Dragon rampant.
>>
>>53506621
No, Infinity definitely has its problems.

It depends entirely what you want out of your game.
>>
>>53506650
Yeah, like not having anyone to play with and wasting your money on a dead game.
>>
>>53506396
I could not disagree with you more right now.

40k is doing far better, and in comparison to Warmachine, is doing fantastic. Saving bundles like Star Collecting's, BaC, BoP, and starter forces are doing a good job getting more players into the game. Plus, with things like SW: Armageddon released, them back pedaling on their online retailer policy and more community interaction, GW is doing far better than the last 10 years under kirby. If this is a rough patch, I would hate to see what you considered most of 5th and 7th to be.

Warmachine is dying in all but its core audience, and some its recent behaviors such as the ending of the Press gangers program, shady court handlings with WotC, the terrible Mk. 3 release, the new meta based around theme lists, and the closing of part of their forums all seem to me to be them doubling down on their bad behavior. Couple this with their sudden decision to copy AoS of all things with their card sets, their new harsh attitude towards Online retailers, and their refusal to lower the price point for their mini's (55$ for a pack of metal Winter guard, while I can buy a box of fucking vostroyans for less) all looks bad to me. Don't believe me? Look at the prices for armies on Ebay, and the huge clearance sales at Miniature market, etc.

Your spot on with X-Wing, but that's fucking X-wing man.

I haven't heard much about infinity, but honestly, I don't pay much attention to it otherwise. I personally haven't heard much about it growing, although I assume it's healthy enough at the moment. Of course, my PanO rarely see's action nowadays. So I'll take your word for it.

>>53506363
This guy has it spot on price wise, although I'm willing to bet you can get 40k down to 400$ if you buy used/smart.
>>
>>53506753
Not really. it's problems are small in comparison to the competitors.
>>
File: 003-eHoarluk[1].jpg (333KB, 1024x955px) Image search: [Google]
003-eHoarluk[1].jpg
333KB, 1024x955px
>>53506106
If I were specifically looking at Fantasy style wargames I guess the only relevant games with real fan bases are AoS and Warmachine/Hordes.

Yeah Warmachien has Robots, but you can easily play Hordes which is a lot more fantasy styled and then have your fantasy stuff fight steam punk assholes.

Hordes Factions
Trollbloods: Pictured
Skorne: Ugly Dessert people with tons of assassins, heavy armored dudes, elephant dudes, big bugs, and soul magic.
Circle of Ourboros: Druids, wolfmen, beast men, giant wolfs, giant satyrs, giant wolfmen, stone/wood golems.
Legion: Mutated Winter elves that do winter elf things. Also mutated Ogres. Also dragons and mouths with legs
Grymkin: Malifeux the faction
>>
I'd say Malifaux is a really good fantasy game here in the states. It's more "Victorian Horror", but it is a much better game than sigmar for a skirmish sized game. Very story driven and very deep gameplay. Card mechanic is gimmicky at first, but really adds a tactical depth of resource management you don't have in GW games. Plus their plastics are great.

Kings of war is a pretty popular warhammer fantasy replacement if moving blocks around the table and rolling buckets of dice are your thing.
>>
File: 99021487008_IronHillsWarband01.jpg (50KB, 600x620px) Image search: [Google]
99021487008_IronHillsWarband01.jpg
50KB, 600x620px
>>53506754
>dead
It sucks it never took off outside of new yemen, it's a great game with gorgeous models outside of the bulk of the hobbit releases.
>>
>>53506771
40k is awful. And it shows that you had to refer to Armageddon. The smaller hobbyist GW games are good, but generally get forgotten not long after they come out to make way for normal 40k.

The default 40k is a joke and 8th is a mess. A smaller spinoff game being good doesn't make standard 40k any better.
>>
>>53506621
Most likely.

If you have enough terrain all painted up and everything Infinity not only looks amazing but plays really well. There's some wonky stuff but overall it's a pretty tight system. In terms of actual gameplay it's on top. Xwing is probably close because that system is always incredibly tight.

WHM used to be up there but they're falling apart.

40k is about selling models the game(s) has been average for a very long time.
>>
>>53506670
Malifaux is really fun. Test of Honour is fun too, but it just came out.
>>
>>53506771
I can only really comment on my own community. Over here nobody is actually excited for anything 40k and we just sort of laughed at Primaris Marines. I would describe all of 5th-current day a "rough patch."

As for WarmaHordes a lot of Mk3's botched release has smoothed out and I think that right now they have a shot to go the right direction, but they also have just as much opportunity to fuck up.
>>
>>53506574
>>53506650
To be fair, both LotR and Blood bowl have been getting a bit of the spotlight. GW has released full plastic teams for Dwarves, Goblins, Humans, Skaven and Orcs, while also letting FW add some cool stuff to them.

LotR has gotten some FW love as well, with the Iron Hill dwarves and Gundabad goblins getting some representation.
>>
>>53506841
Test of honor is a historical game, not a fantasy game.
wave 2 arrived last week, order's on its way
>>
>>53506857
LOTR always struck me as a throwaway cash in. Why would anyone ever buy movie-licensed miniatures? especially when the company behind it as their own line of own-IP miniatures that compete.
>>
>>53506857
Hobbit has following but only in cunting Europe. Also most of the forge world releases have been of the dumbest shit.
Goat cavalry and goat chariots, and the idiot trolls straight out of a videogame.

>>53506874
#1 you're a fan of the ip.
#2 you like the aesthetic of the models.
#3 you like the rules of the game.
>>
>>53506819
I'm lucky and a lot of the terrain at my LGS works decently well for Infinity after applying some scatter to open rooftops and alleyways.

Also some companies make solid 7/10 looking terrain that is pre painted.
>>
>>53506857
Blood Bowl shit came way too late. There are video games for the more casual crowd, and there is fumbbl for the old wargaming type. And fumbbl is free while maintaining the rules and even has some special league stuff that isn't in the normal game. So, it's a flat out improvement. If you want to paint models and are willing to pay that much just to paint some plastic dudes it's fine, but to actually play there are already superior alternatives.
>>
>>53506650
>>53506857
>>53506874
Worth noting that GW brought back the entire LOTR line. You can buy them all off web exclusive.
>>
>>53506908
No you fucking can't.
>>
>>53506908
It's still retarded. They have their own IP directly in contention and are licensing it on short term basis. Every single thing there is a red flag.
>>
>>53506964
But $$$
>>
>>53507006
I get why if you like LOTR etc, but as far as red flags about support etc it's a glaring one. They have their own direct competitor product that doesn't require a license deal. They are incentivized to barely support lotr and push customers to AoS/WHF
>>
File: 1494801360990.jpg (36KB, 318x320px) Image search: [Google]
1494801360990.jpg
36KB, 318x320px
Try out Age of Sigmarā„¢ and Warhammer 40kā„¢. With 8th edition out for 40kā„¢ it's better than it has ever been and the most playtested edition ever. There are T'auā„¢, space marines, and space marine space marines to name just a few factions! The lore is also great and is clearly beyond Saturday morning cartoons or a child saying things off the top of his head. There is even 30kā„¢ for those who somehow get tired of those other great games, but still want to give us money to buy toys!

You also get to see the unique names of our races like aelvesā„¢ because we care so much for our IP; that's why we license it out to anyone to make shovelware with.

And despite saying we are a toy company, we really care about the game. That's why we make it more and more streamlined, broken, and freeform!
>>
>>53507085
>playing with dolls
you asked for this
>>
File: Logo-SWX01-TM-white.png (65KB, 350x141px) Image search: [Google]
Logo-SWX01-TM-white.png
65KB, 350x141px
>>53506874
>Why would anyone ever buy movie-licensed miniatures?
>>
>>53506499
I like Scions, I just wish they weren't $35 and dropped the shitty plasma gun pose.
>>
>>53507134
To be fair X wing is starting to have some problems. Because of its structure errata is very difficult to implement and the game is showing some cracks due to unexpected popularity and growth.
>>
>>53507134
They dont have a direct competitor to x-wing last I checked and it's a relatively cheap mini game.
>>
>>53506862
Wait, what? its a Legend of the Five Rings IP. Every game I've played of it is set in Rokugan...
>>
>>53506804
Armageddon is actually a pretty shit rulebook. It is very inconsistent, bloated, unbalanced, and poorly explained.

40k is fun for the fluff/narrative aspect. It beats basically everything out there on that. The competitive side can be kinda fun too, especially since the competitive side actually exists (unlike other games.)
>>
>>53507067
There's only so much you can do with lotr.
Didn't stop them from making a bunch of oc troops.
>>
File: imperialServiceStarter2[1].jpg (98KB, 900x506px) Image search: [Google]
imperialServiceStarter2[1].jpg
98KB, 900x506px
>>53507147
I mean they look OK, but I can't feel like they are a good purchase in terms of mini quality compared to this 35-40$ box.

Also I hear the average point level of GW games is going up forcing you to field more minis. So that 35$ box is what, 10% or less of a list? I can afford to make a 40k army that's competitive, but for the same price I can buy out the entire line of 2 maybe 3 infinity factions.
>>
>>53507169
No. It's just samurai as an excuse to resell the wargames factory rising sun line at a greater profit.
>>
>>53507245
Yeah, you're spot on. Personally I prefer plastic and the individuality you can give to specific minis, but it's a lot harder financially and time-wise to do for a full army.
>>
>>53507265

What I consider the best part about GW minis is that you have multiple pose options and easy conversions.
>>
>>53507282
That's not a thing unique to them.
>>
So basically we've come here to either shit on or defend 40k right? That's basically the vibe i'm getting after looking through this thread. My question is, why? Why do we have to be hostile to one another, why can't we just sit back and accept that people like what they like and leave each other alone?
>>
>>53507329
Because fuck off 40kiddie and stop shilling your horrible game.
>>
>>53507329
Relax everyone is being very civil and people actually did complement warhams if you read all the posts.

Maybe you should be less defensive and triggered.
>>
>>53507253
Look at the picture you just posted... It's CLEARLY Crane vs Scorpion.
>>
File: Skull Knight.png (494KB, 977x428px) Image search: [Google]
Skull Knight.png
494KB, 977x428px
>>53507329
People are pointing out legitimate faults in each of the games that have been discussed. Honest discussion like that helps people decide what games to try.

>If anyone here is interested in Infinity

There is an online battle report campaign going on that most of the worldwide community is taking part in. The website shows all the stores and gaming clubs that have active communities and this is a good opportunity to find out if anyone near you plays.
>>
>>53506198
Monopose shit.
>>
File: 1465708992823.gif (173KB, 198x196px) Image search: [Google]
1465708992823.gif
173KB, 198x196px
>>53507329
>people enjoying things I do not enjoy
>people not enjoying things that I enjoy
>>
File: doubt-6.png (85KB, 492x280px) Image search: [Google]
doubt-6.png
85KB, 492x280px
>>53507412
>>
File: 1480244713050.jpg (32KB, 428x467px) Image search: [Google]
1480244713050.jpg
32KB, 428x467px
>>53507420
>Can't use greenstuff.
>Can't convert metal figures.
>Can't into creativity.
That's kinda sad my dude.
>>
>>53507441
>needing all that extra work and materials instead of just getting a good kit that allows customization from the ground up
>>
File: 280562-0416[1].jpg (154KB, 1038x555px) Image search: [Google]
280562-0416[1].jpg
154KB, 1038x555px
>>53507420
In a game like War Machine or 40K that could be an issue. After all you have 10+ copies of a model all with the same stats and equipment.

This is Infinity though. 90% of the models you would realistically have duplicates of have multiple poses (pictured Wildcats) while models like the Intruder you would likely only ever field 1 of and if you did field two you would probably buy the 2 alternate load out models with different poses.
>>
I'll be quite honest, I actually don't care for Infinities minis. I've looked through the entire model range, and there wasn't anything that really spoke to me if you know what I mean. They're nice models I suppose, certainly the proportions are nice and some of the poses are pretty good, but they're kind of meh to me personally.

I'm not saying they aren't quality minis if that's the sort of thing you like. They are made with a great deal of skill, I just don't like the aesthetics.
>>
>>53507461
>Paying top dollar for miniatures.
>Call yourself a hobbyist but you're really just making the guys on the box anyway.
>Not enjoying yourself in making/detailing a fine quality miniature instead of a ten minute kitbash.
>Not improving on your hobby skills like sculpting.
Very sad.
>>
>>53506439
They are pretty good desu
>>
>>53507461
Monopose allows for more detailed models with more unique poses at the cost of being... monopose.

For a game where the majority of models will have no duplicates monopose is probably a better choice.
>>
>>53507498
>doing the modeler's work for them
Good goy.
>>
>>53507521
>Can't create or appreciate your own art to the point where you feel the need to troll.
I genuinely feel bad for you.
>>
>>53507531
>it's okay to have to redo a whole model just to get a new pose
You're not worth my pity.
>>
>>53507561
>Doesn't understand the purpose of a monopose model
You're not worth my pity
>>
I don't really care for Infinity's models.
I mean they're well priced and I've heard the rules are nice, but I don't think the models themselves are really my thing - little to weeb-y for my tastes. Not to mention almost all of their designs scream "generic sci-fi" to me for some reason or another. I can't put my finger on why, but every time I look at them they just fail to strike a chord with me creatively. They always seem like something a board room would shit out by committee design if you tasked them with making a sci-fi miniatures game. Maybe that's just me, I dunno.
They're also monopose which is fine I guess considering how many models the game uses? I still prefer variable posing even if you don't get some of the AMAZING DYNAMIC POSES Infinityfags constantly rage about. I'd rather have an army of unique 40k shit-squatters than an army of mass-produced models with no variability in their EPIC POSING. If my cool dude is cool in the exact same way that everyone else's cool dude is cool, he stops being cool to me no matter how cool he is in a vaccum

Speaking of, 40k models vary in quality (ranging from damn good to holy shit WHY) but are almost universally overpriced. At least they feel semi-unique to me. Very iconic designs oddly enough given their simplicity, but it may be because of their simplicity that they're iconic. Can't tell.
The only other game that really comes close to 40k's design philosophy is the Warzone universe. There's something about the tongue-in-cheek nature of the two that I think a lotta wargames tend to eschew nowaday. Hell, even 40k has been trying to distance themselves more and more from their older selves as time has gone by. They went from being a near-parody of ultraserzbiznus wargames into one themselves.
40k (and GW) in general has a major problem of keeping things up to date to too. I mean shit, I get they've been around for the long haul, but that's no excuse for not updating old sculpts. How old are Warbuggies?
>>
>>53507492
Yeah that's a pretty valid complaint. It's a very clean aesthetic for the most part without a ton of stylization. Combined Army is about as outrageous as it gets, but even they feel a bit subdued.

We can probably agree that's something unique about Infinity and a big deciding factor in how much you like the line.
>>
>>53506106
>What is the best fantasy style miniature game
GW's lord of the rings, bar none. That game is rock fucking solid.

If you want people to actually play against, age of sigmar, warmachine, wrath of kings, etc are acceptable, but lacking.
>>
>>53507754
For me I see the similarities between minis as being a type of unified military design that I like. All the different variants of Invincible armor use a lot of the same parts and even Domaru have similar pieces if you look hard enough. That sameness pleases muh aesthetics.
>>
>>53507858
>For me I see the similarities between minis as being a type of unified military design that I like
Huh, I can get that. Doesn't really do much for me but I can understand it at least.
Different strokes for different folks I guess. I usually try to unify my armies via color of fluff means.
>>
>>53507949
Yeah this is definitely a case of
>muh aesthetics
>>
>>53506363
I did not expect such a well-rounded answer out of this thread.
>>
>>53506439
>>53506499

I understand the point you are trying to make (and that you specifically picked Scions because a lot of people bitch about them) but I can honestly say that the scions look better to me than the infinity models.
>>
>>53506499
Yea they look fucking fabulous?
>>
>>53506570

Just...why?
>>
>>53508050
I actually picked Scions because they were the last set of "new models" that I remember. Quit 40k long ago. I almost used Striking Scorpions, but then I remembered those are ancient.
>>
>>53508143
It was a joke that got popular enough for them to make a mini.
>>
>>53508189

Ah, my bad. Figured you were playing off the scions are a bad sculpt meme. To be fair I don't love the chest piece and I swapped them out on mine, but even with the breast plates I think they look pretty good.
>>
>>53508143
CB is one of the few companies that actually makes things the fans ask for.
>>
File: RA3_Imperial_Warrior_Propaganda.png (281KB, 317x473px) Image search: [Google]
RA3_Imperial_Warrior_Propaganda.png
281KB, 317x473px
>>53506439
Some drawfag should remade picrealted with this katana-dude
>>
Does anyone make a high detail and customization 1914-20xx wargame?

So you can build say, a ww2 US Platoon but with lots of options and interchangeable parts like 40k Space Marines.
>>
>>53508210
It's a bit hard to compare 40k and Infinity because for 40k only special characters and certain centerpieces are created the same way most Infinity models are made. Fixed pose with high detail.
>>
>>53508269
Bolt action?

Or just get Perry bro models for whatever game. Their desert rat stuff in particular has a ton of bits.
>>
>>53507489
why is the wildcat staring at the ground, did he lose a contact
>>
>>53508408
>Can't tell he's looking straight.
You might want to get new glasses.
>>
File: 649586_md[1].png (542KB, 800x368px) Image search: [Google]
649586_md[1].png
542KB, 800x368px
>>53508408
>>
>>53506533
Really good IPs who managed to thrive despite the best efforts of incompetent management.However the good IPs have been shanked in favor of bastardizations or just outright killed to make more shelf space for Space Marines and Space Marine like stuff.

It is nothing short of a miracle that 40K as an IP has survived as long as it has. It is horrifically under utilized and improperly marketed by GW.
>>
>>53506907
GW isn't really properly supporting the new BB either. Yes we are getting stuff released ever so slowly, but stuff is being moved and supported by FW for some reason. Even core stuff like the Secret Weapons for Gobbos.

The other problem is them not keeping the in-demand stuff in stock like the alternate pitches. And that is despite a much bigger and better reception of the release than expected.
>>
If someone was just getting into Tabletop games which games are the friendliest for that?

I'm guessing X wing would, but what if they aren't into spess ships?
>>
>>53508896
Probably one of the skirmishes like Malifaux or Infinity.
>>
>>53508896
age of sigmar has super-simple basic rules, and the "start collecting" kits are actually really good deal cost-wise. Something like Flames of War would also work. I would argue against >>53508937
because both of those games are very crunch-deep, with inifnity being perhaps the most newb-unfriendly system on the market with tiny, super-detailed models with small bits to glue on, and rulebook that's front-bloated with special skills and abilities. You don't *need* to know them all, but it looks and feels very intimidating.
>>
>>53507245
Don't let the shills hear you saying that, New Games Workshopā„¢ totally aren't trying to push more models onto people!
>trying to raise the "standard" game from 1500 to 2000pts
>point costs of basic infantry at an all time low
>mandatory re-shuffle of unit balance to favour less popular models

I mean, 8E looks fucking awesome but I still get accused of being a grognard when I point out the sneaky shit they're trying to pull.
>>
>>53509004
>and the "start collecting" kits are actually really good deal cost-wise.
Most of them aren't even 500 pts
>>
>>53508896
Whatever is played around you is still the best advice. Look for clubs, they are usually infinitely better than any sort of LGS pickup shit.
>>
>>53509004
Yeah, the hobby actually requires putting in a bit of effort. But you are right. If you can't be assed to read more than 4 pages of rules, you should probably go for AoS.
>>
>>53509064
As a veteran wargamer I find Malifaux a complete balls up rules wise. It has too much going on.

>Cards instead of dice
>Hand management
>5 active scenarios, some of which are hidden
>Each model changes it's abilities depending on what you "roll" or have on the board
>Cheating flips
>Never had a moment to sit and look at the board due to you go I go play format. Always actively doing something
>Models have individual eye lashes to glue on

Malifaux is the last game I would introduce to a newbie. It's far far too complex for it's own good. Any single idea would be fine but when you stack all this shit you end up with the retarded hipster community that is has which is SJW land and more interested in MUH STRONK STEAM PUNK WOMYN than how the game plays.
>>
I have yet to actually dip my toes in the hobby but was wondering what games would best be suited for a campaign. I was most interesting in Maulifaux because I really like the aesthetic and card mechanics because I have a biased towards not rolling dice but it doesn't seem suited towards campaigns from what I can tell. I, of course, wouldn't expect to dive head first into a campaign as my first arena of play but would like t eventually get into it as I ease myself into the hobby. I imagine WH40K would be the go to for campaigns simply because it's so popular but any other recommendations? I'm relatively open minded about setting, less interested in historic and vehicle though.
>>
>>53506804

Oh, so you've tried 8th already? GREAT!
>>
>>53509278
Malifaux actually has a campaign system. Other than that, you might want to take a look at Frostgrave.
>>
>>53508571
They actually said they were going to make BB one of the main games, stating they'd hire more people in the main team to make more plastic models than now.
>>
>>53509014
>Rhinos are 75pts and drop pods are 100pts, reaching an all time high.
>Gear is also more expensive and riptides are 300pts before upgrades.
Basic dudes are a tad more accessible but upgrades got kicked up a notch.
>>
>>53509300
GW says a lot of things. History shows that they rarely follow through or as intended. I'll believe it when I see proper support like stuff being kept in stock or whole teams being released in store by GW rather than getting FW to fill in whatever GW consider beneath them.
>>
File: face shrug.jpg (106KB, 554x439px) Image search: [Google]
face shrug.jpg
106KB, 554x439px
>>53508050
I kinda like scions too, they have a nice "guardsmen wannabe marines" vibe to them and fill an "IG elite" niche, but
>scions look better to me than the infinity models
...lets not go totally overboard?

Inifinity generally has much higher quality sculpts IMO, but I can accept that not everyone's a fan of the aestethic?
40k has a very well established comic book-ish art direction which works fine for the most part.
>>
>>53506804
Fuck off Infinity shill.
>>
>>53506935
Too retarded to navigate a website?
>>
>>53507245
>Also I hear the average point level of GW games is going up forcing you to field more minis. So that 35$ box is what, 10% or less of a list? I can afford to make a 40k army that's competitive, but for the same price I can buy out the entire line of 2 maybe 3 infinity factions.

You could play either games with rocks representing various models for free.
>>
>>53507245
If they force more minis it will price people out of the game. It doesn't seem likely to me.
>>
>>53506176

Neither of those are games and Scibor sculpts are all the same retarded proportions and celtic trim.
>>
>>53507414
got a link to that?
>>
>>53510569
Also points are decided by the players. Anyone can easily go, "Hey, want to play 500 points instead of 1500?" and no one would bat an eye.
>>
>>53507369
>implying people need to shill for 40k

It shills itself simply by being omnipresent and anti-40k spergs like you making the alternatives look bad by virtue of your existence.
>>
>>53510798
This isn't true, most players will follow the official tournament game size. Like Warmachine now uses 75 points even though your lists really need 80 points. Those bonus points come from free shit in theme lists which the game is designed around, which are designed around 75 point army lists
>>
>>53510804
Infinity looks like it could be fun, but the community is so anti-40k that is kind of pulling me away from it. They act like anyone who likes 40k is a shitlord.

There's also the fact that I've never seen while play it, so it seems kind of dead.
>>
>>53510820
Age of Sigmar's standard for tournaments is 2k and there's a ton of people who like to play it at 1k.

Pretty much the same as 40k.
>>
>>53510820
Not in my area it doesn't. 99% of players don't touch competitive matches and therefore don't care about the points. It's just decided by the amount of time people have to play and the models that brought.
>>
>>53510830
Let me explain to you why I'm anti-40k fanbase

>Go on /b/ and it's full of space marines
>Go on /m/ and it's "Can a Space marine beat a Gundam?"
>Go on /v/ and it's "Can a Spartan beat a Space marine?"
>Go to local shop and Ork players screaming WWAAARRGGHHHH
>Khorne players shouting Chaos catch phrases
>Try to discuss anything but 40k and pop culture with them and they have no clue
>"Did you see the new space marines?" "Oh what did they change?" "They just added a new gun to the sprue" "oh... exciting"
>Go to new store, 40k players are legit down syndromes. Figure that's just how come people are and maybe they like gaming
>Go to another store and it's more downies
>Third store and more downies
>Okay this is a pattern..

Do you understand why some people are anti-40k player base? A lot of people are anti GW asw ell but that's different issue entirely
>>
>>53510481
>many are out of stock
>some like the mahud king are just gone
>>
>>53510865
To be fair, you're complaining about the fanbase of the most popular franchise in a hobby the attracts socially awkward people. If Infinity/Star Wars/etc were the most popular similar things would occur, but with the relevant setting.

It's like complaining about the Naruto community in anime (at it's height of popularity). It just naturally attracts a specific type of person. The people complaining about the setting/fanbase as a whole howevercome off as one of those annoying elitests saying things like, "I don't get how people can't watch such driveling shit. ONLY decent people watch things like Bakawa no Shijo!" (Made up name because I don't watch anime and haven't in years.) It generally comes off more like they're bitter that their niche thing isn't as popular.

While having constant 40k posts may be aggrivating, having people complain about it any time a thread is made is even more so at times because the 40k people aren't hurting the community or anyone while the hate posts many times are.
>>
>>53506106
>What is the best fantasy style miniature game?
Guildball holds that title in my books. Tight ruleset, uses alternating activations, as opposed to Igougo, and has an interesting theme (to me at least)
>>
>>53511229
That's completely hand waving away reality mate. Star wars is the most popular franchise there is right now and it attracts normies. 40k is a huge fanbase and it attracts downies.

Our hobby has a weird divide. It has socially awkward smart people and complete weirdo retards. These 2 groups co exist together but we all know they exist. The social awkwardness bonds it together even though they're at opposite ends of the ingelligence scale.

You must be new here if you don't understand that 4chan likes to complain but also that it's really easy to troll people here and derail a thread. Half the posts on /m/ now are shit posting trying to bait people into fighting over Zeta Gundam, the one universally loved /m/ series for the last 2 decades.

>>53511256
Am I the only one who doesn't like alternative activations? I quite like Igougo because it gives you a moment to sit back, look at the board and make assessments. With constant activations it becomes a completely different dynamic where it's much harder to really combo anything together.
>>
>>53511229
In all fairness, the 40k fanbase is also constantly shitting on any other game brought up. Same goes for warmahordes.
Funnily enough, most 40kids shitposting have no fucking idea about the lore they are constantly on about
>>
>>53510569
>You could play either games with rocks representing various models for free.

Oi m8, what about that rock license fee innit guv?
>>
>>53511291
My view is biased because I don't frequent the pats for other games, but it usually seems like a hate post against 40k and then people replying with counter-hate posts.
>>
>>53511423
So you're bitching how Muh 40k is a victim of a hate crime, while completely ignoring every other community around you? Yea, 40k fanbase in action.
>>
>>53506106
Interesting thread, this might be the place for my question:

I'm going to buy the Android Infiltration boardgame, but all character tokens are cardboard. No miniatures. If I were to look for miniature replacement for all characters and NPC, Where should I start? Who makes the best sci-fi miniatures? or should I just give up and 3D print them myself?
>>
>>53506874
Because its a good game based on a series of films with a good setting/aesthetic?

>>53510481
Plenty of models are not available any more.
>>
File: satan-9_1024x1024.png (667KB, 996x600px) Image search: [Google]
satan-9_1024x1024.png
667KB, 996x600px
>>53506164
>>
>>53511599
go to alternative wargames, they have autism for that shit. Good group of lads
>>
>>53511651
Thanks, will do.
>>
File: 99120116002_SkitariiRangers03.jpg (46KB, 600x620px) Image search: [Google]
99120116002_SkitariiRangers03.jpg
46KB, 600x620px
>>53506363
> tons of low detail minis
> low detail.

This might be correct for anything that was released 5-10 years ago.

Inb4 GW shill
>>
>>53511609
Good lord the faces are dogshit. Why Poots? Why?
>>
>>53511721
>not showing the playmobil -tier backsides
>>
>>53511535
No, I'm saying that people bitching about 40k's fanbase is hypocritical when the same types of people play all of the games.
>>
>>53506862
I'd say it was a sort of historical, as in it uses historical models mostly but the factions have very little in common with history (ronin is pretty accurate from my experience faction wise).
>>
>>53511858
>These backpack are not enough deatil for me, I need more detail, it's playmobil-tier. I need more detail to paint with my ultra thin brush.
>>
Is there any other decently popular game that fields similar amount of minis to 40k and warmahordes?
>>
>>53508896
Maybe bolt action, the starters pretty cheap and it being ww2 you can try out other rulesets with the same miniatures.
>>
File: 1483332840991.jpg (10KB, 260x194px) Image search: [Google]
1483332840991.jpg
10KB, 260x194px
>>53506363
>>
>>53512178
Bolt Action, Antares, Warpath I think. At least in 28mm, which I guess is what you are looking for.
Most game designers agree that fielding 40+ 28mm models on a regular table isn't that great of an idea though.
>>
>>53506533
I lump them in with Comcast, BoA and United.
>>
>>53506670
Armada, Malifaux, Infinity and Guildball are the top tier in terms of gameplay.

And I play everything.
>>
>>53512074
Why, yes. That truly is pretty bad. And the cape is worse.
>>
>>53506771
And a wild redshirt appears!

Of my group of 15+ people, all who have played 40k at one point or another, not a single person has expressed excitement at the turd that is 8th.
>>
>>53512420
>My anecdotal evidence is supreme!

I'm not him and couldn't care less but your argument is funny.
>>
>>53511968
>when the same types of people play all of the games
In my experience this is not true. The communities of more niche games tend to be older and thus better.
>>
Which games are the easiest to find games for if your work requires you to move cities a lot? 40K is obvious, but what else?
>>
>>53512491
Well the big ones obviously, so X-Wing, WMH and GW.
>>
>>53512420
We just laugh
>So whats up with Primaris Marines?
>Special super marines
>Wait so they aren't proper scale marines, but some special marines added by the fluff?
>yeah
>laughter
>>
>>53511609
Not exactly the best example of pretty KD females.
>>
GW - best models and most players
Infinity - best balance
WM/H - best competitive infrastructure
Bolt Action - best fun factor/player base
>>
>>53506819
>Xwing is probably close because that system is always incredibly tight.
Xwing has just become gimmicky lists and power creep. That game has been nosediving since wave 8.
>>
>>53506841
>Malifaux is really fun
I like malifaux but holy shit is it complicated. By far the hardest game to learn, and I play infinity and WM.
>>
File: 1492524816649.jpg (23KB, 152x254px) Image search: [Google]
1492524816649.jpg
23KB, 152x254px
>>53507085
>>
File: didnt read lol.gif (788KB, 190x119px) Image search: [Google]
didnt read lol.gif
788KB, 190x119px
>>53512582
>GW - best models
Stopped reading there.
>>
>>53512508
Just how popular is wmh? And are there any other similar games?
>>
>>53507193
>fluff/narrative aspect. It beats basically everything out there on that
40k fluff is retarded.
>>
>>53507369
Man the redshirts are losing their touch.
>>
>>53512582
GW has the best models? What? I mean sure some of the fixed posed models are great, but thats like saying an army thats 90% fat dudes and 10% muscular dudes is a muscular army.
>>
>>53512582
Let me correct that for you:

GW - most players, models in the 70-90 percentile quality
Infinity - best competitive infraestructure, models vary greatly between 30-90 percentile quality
WM/H - No redeeming qualities, models in the 20-50 percentile quality
Bolt Action - Literally why is this in this list
>>
>>53512651
>Just how popular is wmh?
Somewhere in the top5. Generally you can find a game mostly anywhere if you're not in the sticks.
>And are there any other similar games?
Not really. Steamforged and Wyrd are working on similar concepts but those are unreleased as of now.
>>
>>53507754
People talk about the posability of 40k, then all their poses end up looking the same.

Ball joints at shoulders and waist don't add any real posability if you don't want the result to look stupid.
>>
>>53512691
More like GW 50-80 and Infinity 40-90.
>>
File: 9313737_orig.jpg (131KB, 1024x732px) Image search: [Google]
9313737_orig.jpg
131KB, 1024x732px
>>53508422
>>53508443
>>
>>53512582
I'd say bolt action has the best models as you have lots of different manufacturers you can choose from.
>>
File: 71120_Star_Trek_Attack_Wing_01.jpg (132KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
71120_Star_Trek_Attack_Wing_01.jpg
132KB, 720x720px
>>53507155
>They dont have a direct competitor to x-wing last I checked
>>
>>53512747
You can't honestly say that seriously.
>>
>>53506802
> new Yemen
Que?
>>
>>53512691
Yeah, nah. Some gw models are really decent, like tempestus or cult mechanicus, but there is a fuckton of steaming shit, like almost all imperial guard, orcs, inquisition, sisiters of battle and more.
>>
>>53510569
And the rocks would look better than most 40k models.
>>
>>53512767
Good luck buying any of those models, the stocking for ST:AW is fucking horrendous.

Look at the ebay prices for proof of how hard it is to get your hands on ships.
>>
>>53512767
>Competitor

Anon, there's not even a question of a contest there.
>>
>>53510830
>anyone who likes 40k is a shitlord.
This is accurate.
>>
>>53512772
I can, for example warlords Japanese are pretty bad so I can use brigade games & assault group figures which are far nicer.
>>
>>53506802
>hobbit releases
Oh, don't remind me. I wonder how they botched them that bad. Old models are fine. There were plenty of sculpts from Perry brothers, after all.
>>
>>53507590
> repeated comeback
YOU LOSE
>>
>>53512772
Mate, their are untold billions of WW2 lines in any scale or priceclass you might desire.
>>
>>53511839
They look better painted up.
>>
>>53512651
>Just how popular is wmh?

Depends entirely on your local scene, but overall it's in third place behind X-wing and 40k.
>>
>>53512582
>Bolt Action - best fun factor/player base
WW2 people are among the biggest shit heads/weirdos.

Almost 40k/MtG freakshow tier.
>>
>>53512651
Is fucking dead, some people just haven't woke up to that fact yet.
>>
>>53512791
> lots of shit modelz guis
> lists model lines which are 8+ years old, at least
Its... It's almost as if technology has... Advanced... since then... amazing
>>
>>53512691
GW 0-50, with a long right tail of the distribution.

Infinity 30-95, with a long left tail.
>>
>>53512933
I wouldn't call them weirdos, but they're mostly former military.

Do you like hanging out with former military folks? There's a bit of a cultural difference between them and more typical gamers.
>>
>>53512811
>>53512805
I never said, it is an even fight. Attack Wing is the exact same game, just worse in every way.
>>
>>53512947
Then what's the excuse to keep old turds in the lineup?
not that old tech isn't perfectly fine to produce quality minis, GW just tend to outphase those sooner rather than later. It's like a cycle. Bad minis>unpopular faction. unpopular faction > no new minis
>>
>>53512947
Even on new sculpts their models have melted looking faces, unrealistic cloth, artificial posing and lego man body proportions. I really like their minis, but still acknowledge their shortcomings.
>>
>>53512830
Sorry I just can't conceive that someone considers historicals prettier than scifi/fantasy models.
>>
>>53512917
I dare you to find a single paintjob online of those two that is actually decent and not a thick paint nightmare.

Protip: you can't.
>>
>>53512960
>GW 0-50
>0
>literally a lump of plastic in a blister
>>
>>53513112
>implying there is some magical difference between fantasy and historical minis

You can mix them on several occasions.
>>
>>53506106
It really depends of what you want.
Big battles? Kings of War has a fast and easy to learn ruleset, with lots of tactics involved and less list building than old whfantasy. For Skirmishing level there are a fuckton, so it depends of what kind of setting you like, I use A song of blade and heroes as a default because you can make lots of shit. About sigmar tried it in an horrid spanglish, booked it and I never looked back.
>>
File: gw-99801499016.jpg (63KB, 920x950px) Image search: [Google]
gw-99801499016.jpg
63KB, 920x950px
>>53513169
Hello
>>
>>53513190
>there is literally no difference between a nazi soldier and a fucking two-headed dragon
>>
>>53513112
Just check out any of Paul hicks sculpts, victrix and the Perry's ranges.
>>
>>53513227
You would probably want to use medievals or ancients with dragons, maybe Renaissance at a push.
>>
>>53512582
>GW.
>Best Models.
Tip top kek.
>>
>>53513254
Sorry but I just don't get it. Most of these just look like glorified green army men to me.
>>
>>53513227
Nice strawman. I can do them too.

>there is a HUGE difference between non-descript fantasy knight and non-descript medieval knight

Most fantasy lineups include at least some token human, which fit some time period in history well enough.
>>
File: Arquebusers.jpg (53KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
Arquebusers.jpg
53KB, 600x600px
>>53513227
>many difference
>much fantasy
>wow
>>
>>53513409
Having bad taste is common enough, don't worry anon.
>>
>>53513409
Mate, what do you think are miniatures?
>>
Most good artists are capable of both realistic and stylized depictions of the human body. Styles like that of GW is a choice and they remain consistent across their model range for aesthetics. Similarly it would look ridiculous if Infinity had models that did not conform to their more realistically-proportioned aesthetic.

There seems to be lots of examples of Infinity models served up with no commentary on what it is that is supposed to make them "superior" (a subjective opinion), except for the fact that they are more realistically proportioned as if that's the only criteria that matters.

Personally I prefer GW's sculpts. (I haven't liked the Age of Sigmar models, though). GW's excellent art direction makes even factions like Eldar and Dark Eldar appear both similar and different, whereas Infinity just seems to be endless guys in faceless suits and I can't tell anything about them from just looking at the models. I've had to read the fluff to find out, whereas I can usually get a sense of what GW models are about even without reading bout them, which sometimes makes me want to read about them more.

GW models often seem like all of the details possess distinct purpose and there's is an economy of presentation, where the details on Infinity models usually just look like meaningless products of imagination that could be anything (scif arm-wrist, sci-fi leggings, etc), and I have to strain my eyes to look at their weapons.

I can see why a person would happen to prefer the more realistic aesthetic because I am able to imagine others points of view, but given the hobby we are part of I assume that it's a horde of autists who are unable to comprehend why realistic does not mean inherently better.
>>
File: gw-99020201032_1.jpg (131KB, 920x950px) Image search: [Google]
gw-99020201032_1.jpg
131KB, 920x950px
>>53513410
>there is a HUGE difference between non-descript fantasy knight and non-descript medieval knight
Ahh, yes, how can we forget the feared viking knights from IV century?

And let's not forget also that Perry brothers make very decent alternatives for these too!

You Empire and Bolt Action players are so in denial it's not even funny.
>>
>>53513521
Models for hobby or artistic painting that you can showcase in your cabinet or playing some game with other people.

You think they are just "toys" or what?
>>
>>53513574
Yes, Empire figures are a good example of figures in fantasy range that can be included in historical game. What's your point? You realize you're making the arguments yourself?

The point is that historical scene can choose to include figures from all over the place, meaning that figure quality is a moot point.
>>
>>53513610
You're acting like they aren't toys.

They are.
Fine toys, but toys nonetheless.
>>
>>53513610
wew lad
>>
File: 5m7QxHz.jpg (96KB, 523x720px) Image search: [Google]
5m7QxHz.jpg
96KB, 523x720px
>>53513610
>This guy is serious.
>>
>>53513654
Empire is just the "historical faction" in a pure fantasy setting. You can't use everything and whatever you please from fantasy settings in your historical games as you prepotently affirmed, you just can switch some similar models around between your Empire and your generic medieval men. And I'm not arguing anymore on this stupid topic, continue denying this and saying that you can use lizardmen in your waterloo scenario.

>>53513679
>>53513788
>>53513803
Well I guess the thousands of figure painters and artists over the world that earn a living painting commissions for private collectors and boxarts for actual miniature companies would agree with you in that they are not making art, but just playing with toys. Please by all means continue just throwing handfulls of dice on a table, arguing over stupid rules and coating your miniatures with thick coats of paint to get them on the tabletop asap, because you would just use cardboard cuts if you could anyway. Fuck "gamers".
>>
File: eeeeeey.png (280KB, 800x750px) Image search: [Google]
eeeeeey.png
280KB, 800x750px
Is there a game like Warmachine and Hordes in scale?
Where it's bigger than skirmish games but not as big as 40k?
>>
>>53513981
Good lord, you aren't baiting. You are actually triggered by this.
>>
>>53513981
genuinely laffing.
>>
>>53514037
Of gods and mortal, you play as a Classical/Egyptian/Norse god with a bunch of mortals and some lesser monsters.
Pretty cool, it has a lot of potential for a dominions/Conquest of Elysium inspired game. I think it has potential to ensnare normies too, it's based in a song of blades and heroes, so a kid of six years could learn it ina few hours.
>>
File: 1492586813916.jpg (98KB, 1000x800px) Image search: [Google]
1492586813916.jpg
98KB, 1000x800px
>>53513981
>>
>>53512832
You can only polish the turd that the hobbit movies were for so long.
>>
>>53513981
You think toys don't require workmanship? That they're produced by soulless drones that never consider them to be anything but a day job to pay bills?
>>
File: Space-Wolf-by-Sergio-Calvo-Rubio.jpg (238KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
Space-Wolf-by-Sergio-Calvo-Rubio.jpg
238KB, 1000x750px
>>53514231
>>53514085
>>53514095
>>53514139
HEY GAIZ CHECK OUT MY NEW TOY

VRROOOMM VRROOMM
>>
>>53513981
Even little wars admits the players, for as old as they are and the meticulous work they put into their figures, are at heart still playing with toy soldiers.
And that's fine.
>>
>>53514275
I accept that I'm into a hobby where I paint wee men and play with them. It's an adult's way of playing with toys. Instead of bashing them against each other I'm rolling dice. In the end it accomplishes the same result.
>>
Batman is quite nice too.
Rather shit company but the game is top-notch.
Google hero-builder for the army builder and a list of models
>>
File: 1892899965_fa121b7e74_b.jpg (316KB, 938x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1892899965_fa121b7e74_b.jpg
316KB, 938x1024px
>>53514274
Yes anon, it's a lovely doll you've crafted.
Now look at mine! It even works as a platform to puts other toys in.
>>
File: Lego town.jpg (378KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Lego town.jpg
378KB, 1024x768px
>>53514274
So, this is not a toy?
>>
File: 1481764116730.jpg (220KB, 1431x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1481764116730.jpg
220KB, 1431x1000px
>>53512723
>GW 50-80
>>
File: ice-dragons6-2007.jpg (68KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
ice-dragons6-2007.jpg
68KB, 1024x683px
>>53514274
I don't see the difference to be honest.
>>
>>53513574
>And let's not forget also that Perry brothers make very decent alternatives for these too!
hey, brothers have some taste
>>
>>53514392
>>53514342
>>53514349
Well, how about >>53514274 being valued in 10,000 dollars while your examples are worth twenty bucks at most?
>>
>>53514415
>$20 for a mumak
I wish.
you should see the price some action figures go for
>>
File: Barbie.jpg (15KB, 304x405px) Image search: [Google]
Barbie.jpg
15KB, 304x405px
>>53514415
Pic related was sold for $302 000. Your point?
>>
File: Merda de artista.jpg (58KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Merda de artista.jpg
58KB, 1280x720px
>>53514415
>>
>>53514484
You mean there is someone out there playing with a 300,000 dollar barbie? No, don't think so, he is keeping it on a cabinet with the rest of his collection just like an art gallery.
>>
File: cu5b.jpg (51KB, 648x500px) Image search: [Google]
cu5b.jpg
51KB, 648x500px
>>53514405
Perry too op please nerf.
I'm eyeing those fireforge Byzantines to use as Gondorians once they drop
>>
>>53514541
That makes that barbie less of a toy than the one getting played with.
>>
>>53512933
You have not actually interacted with people into WW2 have you? The majority are friendly, interesting people who like their history.
>>
>>53514571
Well,
>noun
>1.an object, often a small representation of something familiar, as an animal or person, for children or others to play with; plaything.
>2.a thing or matter of little or no value or importance; a trifle.
>3.something that serves for or as if for diversion, rather than for serious practical use.

Pretty much, yeah.
>>
>>53514604
Well, we are closing the question "what is art", as I guess >>53514488 suggested. The question remains whether the added art value somehow remove toy from toy.
>>
>>53514541
It was anonymous bidder, so maybe?
>>
>>53511609
I;m not sure Kingdom Death counts as its not a wargame, but i would say it has the best miniatures on the market.
>>
>>53511968
You're very very wrong. 40k is baby's first game and almost everyone has played it in some form but the other game systems attract a different crowd. It takes a bit more effort to set up a non-40k group which increases the barrier to entyry
>>
>>53512651
Mk3 killed the game for a lot of people. It's still there but it's stagnating.
>>
File: Mierce.png (844KB, 937x750px) Image search: [Google]
Mierce.png
844KB, 937x750px
>>53514037
Darklands fits that niche. There are a lot of great sculpts too. Pic related was done by the guy who made the Forgeworld greater daemons.
>>
>>53514855
Not stagnating I think, but the CID and all the theme lists are pushing people away
My group has had 1 new player in the past 6 months, and lost about 4
We're still at about 10ish
>>
>>53514637
That's an easy question, "art" is whatever you consider it to be art, because it is subjective. What is art for me maybe is not for you, and that's ok.

For me, -some- miniatures are works of art, just like canvas painting or marble sculpture, their purpose is being exposed so people can admire and judge them subjectively.
The rest? Yeah gaming models are probably most fitting in the definition of a toy, but I would never actually call them like that. More like entertainment products.
>>
>>53514541
Let me ask you something.

Is a car in a museum no longer a car? It is, after all, not fulfilling it's original function.
>>
File: b_000000002095.jpg (89KB, 710x749px) Image search: [Google]
b_000000002095.jpg
89KB, 710x749px
>>53506198
Infinity has some cool poses, but metals just can't compare to the cuhrazey poses that multi part plastics like Malifaux's allow.
>>
>>53514935
A car is indeed a car, but a model is not a toy.
>>
>>53513227
Why is there not a ruleset for WW2 soldiers having to fight mythical creatures? Not steam punk Nazi bollocks but like wild chimeras and dragons Warhammer fantasy style. There's no weird tech it's just they exist and some times fuck with battles
>>
File: 800px-DogWarriorOld1.jpg (139KB, 800x470px) Image search: [Google]
800px-DogWarriorOld1.jpg
139KB, 800x470px
Infinity has came a long way
>>
>>53514894
>It's not stagnating
>No one new is joining our group and we lost 4 people

So it's stagnating.
>>
File: Cassandra.jpg (86KB, 739x500px) Image search: [Google]
Cassandra.jpg
86KB, 739x500px
>>53514936
You'd be surprised what people have wrought from metal. Pic related isn't even the craziest figure I know, but there are good reasons I think they are not favourable, be they from metal or plastic and I'm glad CB has calmed down a bit when it come to poses.
>>
File: IMG_2012.jpg (44KB, 659x609px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2012.jpg
44KB, 659x609px
>>53514972
>Dogface
I came too
>>
>>53514961
But I thought the argument was that toys were no longer toys after put on display? What's the difference between model and toy in this context?
>>
>>53514936
Malifaux models are a cunt to put together. Metal can beat the piss out of plastic but it's just not cost effective any more to do it. I prefer metal minis, I like the weight and working with metal over plastic.
>>
>>53515055
It's a blurry line but you can't tell someone a model they put 400 hours into for display is a toy. It's clearly not being played with
>>
>>53506790
Man just be honest - warmahordes have disgusting fucking sculpts. Lets
Trollbloods are sorta good, but only because of their cartoon-ish looks. Look at their females and laugh.
Skorne? Only their light infantry deserve some respect in term of the looks, and even then they are hellishly ugly. Not cool-ugly. Just ugly.
Circle is terrible too, MANGOATS, MANWOLVES, MANEAGLES.
Legion have tiny legs on their heavies. and heads the size of a leg.
I wont even comment on grymkin.
>>
>>53514969
Closest you can get is not!holy Roman empire. Except they died so 40k but with no substance could live.
>>
>>53515082
A toy is a toy, even if the woman spends half a year making it from scratch and has no daughter to give it to.
>>
>>53515082
So if I make a car out of gold with no intention to drive it, but all the functions of a car, it's not a car?
>>
>>53515023
Well Stagnating would imply nothing is changing, everything feels like its constantly changing with erratas and CID shaking things up. But that constant change is bad you dont want to roll a dice to see if your faction will be nerfed in the next month, or like it happened to me, 3 days before a tournament and we played with errata. With everything constantly in the air people just find other games.

tldr
>Game changing too much
>People dont like that
>>
>>53515127
Toys are defined as objects you play with.

>>53515146
A car is not a miniature. That's like comparing my dick to whatever that raisin is between your legs.
>>
File: # Deathstroke Origins.png (676KB, 625x800px) Image search: [Google]
# Deathstroke Origins.png
676KB, 625x800px
>No one mentions Knight Models

I am disappointed anons.
>>
>>53515169
MK3 didn't change enough and now they're knee jerk changing things. The userbase is moving ono other thing so the games dead.
>>
>>53515210
I think thats the problem MK3 needed to come out a year or 2 later than it did, so far it feels like a massive forced beta
>>
File: ē§ć®ćƒ€ćƒ.jpg (51KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
ē§ć®ćƒ€ćƒ.jpg
51KB, 1024x576px
>>53515198
good taste my man
>>
>>53515172
But it is meant to be played or driven with, same way as a penis is meant to go inside a woman just because you don't do it doesn't stop its main reason for being.
>>
>>53515198
See>>53514330
>>
>>53515198
Oh boy, I can get my very own Wilson and get bitched at by comic book fans for painting him like a volleyball.
>>
>>53514969
Maybe a pulp ruleset? I think north star have one for sale.
>>
>>53515312
You're retarded, shut your mouth already and save the thread
>>
>>53506670
try mercs typical army ranges from 5 - 10 and will only cost you about 30 dollars at most not including the rules. Please I just want this game to come back
>>
File: mercs-featured.jpg (118KB, 820x409px) Image search: [Google]
mercs-featured.jpg
118KB, 820x409px
>>53515493
forgot pic
>>
>>53515493
Such is the pain of fans of OOP and/or obscure games.
>>
>>53507796
>>53507492
>>53507754
Personally I think the models look great, but I feel your complaints with the overall aesthetic looking a bit too clean/generic. I definitely think I'd lean towards playing one of the alien factions were I to get into it.
>>
>>53507834
>wrath of kings

Does anyone actually play WoK? I'm not sure I've ever seen it discussed on this board, it seems very unpopular, but maybe I just haven't been looking in the right places. It's a shame because I think the rules look pretty solid and a couple of the factions actually really grab my attention.

Tangentially, I find this a highly understated factor in games, tabletop or otherwise - I can't remember how many games I've seen, I think MMOs being the worst offenders, which looked like cool games overall except for the fact that none of the options for characters/classes/factions presented to me stood out in any way. The game looks cool, but I don't want to play any of the people in it, always such a shame.
>>
>>53515687
Mantic games don't really get played, people buy their shit as proxies for other stuff.
>>
>>53515777
Wrath of Kings is made by Cool Mini or Not though. I am pretty sure that Mantic has nothing to do with it.
>>
>>53515822
my bad, I was thinking of Kings of war.

WoK was still born. no one gave a shit
>>
>>53515517
thing is the creators haven't even stated that the game is oop yet. They just dropped the last edition and never mentioned it again as they moved on to their other games
>>
File: IMG_1432.jpg (93KB, 1000x546px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1432.jpg
93KB, 1000x546px
>>53515085
Grymkin have exactly one good model, and it's The Heretic. Who happens to look nothing like the rest of the faction.

At least we can all agree that Retribution has the nicest overall models in Warmachine, right?
>>
>>53515850
The game has definitely kind of died, even if they are putting out new models. It was kind of sad walking into the FLGS to see the WoK boxes newly chucked into the bargain bin. And I won't even buy them at their reduced price because you can find people dumping their kickstarters on ebay for far less. The figures will make decent proxies with the Confrontation reboot at least.
>>
>>53506164
>Infinity definitely kicks the shit out of any of the other miniatures games in terms of females and cheesecake
I'd say Kingdom Death holds that crown, but Infinity isn't far behind certainly.
>>
>>53515927
Why are they even trying to appeal to the Malifaux crowd with that faction?

>>53516005
CMON keep pumping and dumping kickstarters/ They have become a real mess who apparently even board game plebs don't trust any more
>>
>>53515777
We've played a lot of their not!WHFB game, Kings of War. I can strongly recommend it to anybody who liked the older editions of warhammer. Takes that basic idea, streamlines out all the pointless BS... it's basically the game that warhammer always should have been. The core rules are relatively simple (by design), but it's pretty easy to hack it if you want to add on a deeper magic system, old-school scattering template artillery or something like that.
>>
File: I play it for the rules.png (2MB, 1000x943px) Image search: [Google]
I play it for the rules.png
2MB, 1000x943px
>>53508408
If he wasn't staring up front, this would be the answer.
>>
File: yuan yuan noodle box.jpg (500KB, 1265x718px) Image search: [Google]
yuan yuan noodle box.jpg
500KB, 1265x718px
>>53508143
So no one says they only do pinup girls.
>>
>>53511609
Painting the bigger dicks in the dress black
>>
>>53516403
>some people demanded this

https://youtu.be/8L-TvCfiXRg
>>
>>53515210
This is my experience as well.
>>
>>53515927
JFC, forgot how stupidly top heavy WM models are.
>>
File: unnamed.png (219KB, 368x583px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.png
219KB, 368x583px
>>53516017
Hell yeah it does.

Love Infinity though.
>>
File: img570c3283d2881.jpg (371KB, 800x974px) Image search: [Google]
img570c3283d2881.jpg
371KB, 800x974px
>>53511609
You could certainly have picked some nicer examples.
>>
>>53507431
>>53507412
For what is worth every single person I've seen online talking about the game and showing their minis paint them in L5R colors.
>>
>>53515037
>That face
The pose is hardly the only offending part of that miniature.
>>
>>53515198
The worst line of miniatures to assemble ever.

Minis are out of scale and are a bitch to put together. And I say this as an infinity and guild ball player.
>>
>>53516942
Just because I paint my GB viking hirdmen as dunlendings that doesn't mean they're fantasy models.
>>
>>53517114
Ol' Kusanagi hasn't aged well.
They gave her a new profile last year and refreshed some of the Bakunin line (including the starter), a new mini is due.
>>
>>53515927
As russian i like the Old Witch remake with giant hut. But only the idea, not its execution. Yes, Heretic is totally awesome actually.

And no, we cannot agree. There are few in each faction who do look great, but others are meh. Everywhere. Even pigs, imo.
>>
File: ChKFWGGWIAIJEEk.jpg (60KB, 600x900px) Image search: [Google]
ChKFWGGWIAIJEEk.jpg
60KB, 600x900px
what is the best tournament level game?

pic unrelated
>>
>>53509064
I've been playing for 20 years, including stuff like Tomorrow's War, Starship troopers etc, and if you think you can just throw the infinity rulebook at a complete newbie, and they'll love it, instead of going back to vidya like a sane person, you're fucking joking.
>>53509047
You get the battleline models/cavalry completely free in the box for a price of the big monster, I'd say it's a pretty good value for money.
>>
>>53516930
Yep, and that's not even the best from Ringil imho.
>>
>>53518692
Guild Ball
>>
>>53517635
She wasn't good to begin with. Whenever CB tries for any expression other than "placid doll" on their female dollies, they look dumb (see Joan 2.0)
>>
>>53516224
Yeah, it's pretty good, but I don't see threads about it. Like you would bet people would love it, it's basically a non-bullshit whfantasy than plays faster.
>>
>>53521082
Nobody cares about its own fluff and most people use other companies models with it so that is half the discussion gone there. And the rules are so streamlined/well written there is not much to discuss.
>>
>>53515687
>Does anyone actually play WoK?
about as many as confrontation

Which ain't a whole lot, but still.
>>
If I want something as similar to 40K in terms of gameplay, setting/style and playerbase size as possible what are my options?
>>
>>53515172
Actually, a toy can be defined as something diminutive. So I guess unless you have only Primaris MarinesĀ© then yeah, your models are toys.
>>
>>53515510
I'm bummed they used such shitty plastic for their new models. Swelling and shrinking of various bits really fucked the model fits, and the mold lines are horrible.

I have the CCC in pewter and they just shit all over megacons new plastics. truly tragic
>>
>>53522591
30k, obviously.
Thread posts: 322
Thread images: 61

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.