[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Fifth Edition General:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 344
Thread images: 20

File: pocahontas.jpg (28KB, 375x550px) Image search: [Google]
pocahontas.jpg
28KB, 375x550px
D&D 5th Edition General Discussion - Native American edition

>Download Unearthed Arcana: Revised Subclasses:
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-RevisedSubclasses.pdf

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
https://mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Last time, on /5eg/:
>>53498544

How do you make players feel safe at your table? Do you use X-cards or other tools?
>>
>>53503574
>How do you make players feel safe at your table
I don't. The more unsettled and nervous they are the better.

>X-cards or other tools?
They bring their stuff, they pay for the pizza, I bring the story.

I mean I guess I have a couple sheets of paper and a pen if they really need it...
>>
>>53503557
Just finished playing with a lizardfolk ranger, which let the others in the group begin working with RP and combat better. I burnt out and will be switching characters to my faceless gambler fey warlock of the chain. it breaks so many social encounters i didn't want to bust him out yet but i think they are ready.
>>
literally page 2 OP, we were fine, why are you such a candyass
>>
>>53503574
I'VE GOT A REAL PROBLEM WITH THIS OP IMAGE FEATURING AN ETHNIC WOMAN
why does she have jeans on? that's a huge fucking anchronism
>>
>>53503657
>monk abilities deactivate if you put on armor
Oh? Which ones?
>>
>>53503692
unarmoured, obviously
martial arts
and extra movement
>>
Why the fuck can a Dryad only cast Shillelagh once per day? It's a goddamn cantrip.
>>
File: armorfu2.jpg (33KB, 630x420px) Image search: [Google]
armorfu2.jpg
33KB, 630x420px
>>53503730
>unarmoured
Well, I'm wearing armor so that's not an issue.
>martial arts
I guess if I'm wearing plate and a shield I can use a martial weapon, too
>extra movement
So I'm just as fast as any other non-Monk now

Hm
>>
>>53503776
also what kind of fight with a dryad would go more than a minute?
>>
>>53503778
Right, so all of the abilities that make you a monk, basically.

Why is wearing armor as a monk better than just being a fighter?

You can get higher AC as a naked monk than a fullplate fighter, or equal if the fighter has a shield.

At level 1, the monk might have the same AC as the fighter too.
>>
>>53503778
>I guess if I'm wearing plate and a shield I can use a martial weapon, too
...And lose Dex as your hit/damage stat, so you'd need strength.
>>
>>53503778
https://youtu.be/gBhvUgxfUjk?t=4m34
soon
>>
>>53503778
You are just playing a fighter at this point
>>
>>53503847
not if you take 3 monk levels and go kensai
>>
>>53503574
I had a player leave because I wouldn't call her "they"
>>
>>53503877
Except the new Kensai doesn't let that work...
>>
>>53503897
at that point you should really want her at your table
>>
>>53503914
fuck wizards I'm done
>>
>>53503897

Gross.

It's my right as a human being to coerce you into speaking to me in a certain way.

That you disagree means you're a fucking bigot.

It's 2017. Educate yourself.
>>
>>53503857
>>53503825
Yeah, just playing a Fighter with no Monk abilities who can
>bonus action Dash or Dodge
>Deflect ranged attacks or return to sender
>jump from great heights and land on his feet unharmed
>take no damage on Dex saves or half damage even if he fails with his shit Dex
>STUN CREATURES
>end Charm / Fear automatically as an action instead of praying for a save
>run up walls
>become immune to poison and disease

And one of the following:
>cast Darkness, Silence, and Pass Without Trace; teleport; turn invisible
>heal allies on a bonus action; get some skill proficiencies and advantage on Cha checks to calm people
>heal any time you kill something; Frighten all enemies within 30 feet; refuse to die
>spam knockdown and punt enemies around like a Battlemaster on crack; have a real big self-heal in addition to Second Wind; Sanctuary yourself
>shoot arguably piss-weak radiant firepuffs at everything; essentially cast Burning Hands as a bonus action; shoot gimped Radiant-Fireballs
>>
>>53503943
>I want to make a build that wasn't ever intended or considered
>They fixed a rules issue and it accidentally stopped my build

I guess that's what you get for using UA, it's fine in most cases but if they change something that stops your specific build from working... it sucks balls.

Rip Lizardfolk Lance Kensai with no Wisdom
>>
>>53503989
>>heal any time you kill something
It's not healing though, it's temp HP.
>>
Do you allow a passive acrobatics score? I think I'm going to start doing so, and letting my players know I would do so. The risk of failure is too much of a deterrent for them to try interesting maneuvers.
>>
>>53503943
It's okay, you can play an armored archer Kensei.
Take Archery style, be a Dex build, wear plate and move real slow unless you're a Dwarf or also pumped your Str and use a longbow as a Kensei, add 1d4 to all of your attacks forever.
>>
>>53503574
what the fuck this woman isn't black
>>
>>53503989
>Pretending any of that matters aside from 'stun shit'
>Spending ki on anything other than stunning enemies
>>
>>53503989
Right, so you're playing a character that is directly worse than a monk, because the monk can do all of that, while having the same AC, and attacking 3-4 times a round instead of 2.

All without requiring literally any equipment (except a stick, if you want), while the fighter requires a weapon, fucking expensive armor, and a shield.
>>
>>53503772
Hawaiian doesn't have a rhotic (R) sound, like Navajo or Japanese.
>>
File: early-cutebold.gif (5KB, 448x498px) Image search: [Google]
early-cutebold.gif
5KB, 448x498px
Do Kobolds make good Monks?

Mechanically of course, in fluff Kobolds are good at everything.
>>
>>53504060
Good luck stunning shit in Storm King's Thunder.
>>
>>53504060
>pretending stunning shit is relevant when you can be an edgemaster ninja and never fight at all.

The fight never fought is a fight well won my friend. Stealth leads to ignorance, ignorance to peace, and peace to victory.
>>
>>53503656
triggers me as well
>>
>>53504066
>while having the same AC
People always forget this, only takes to level 8 to have AC equal to Plate on a well built Monk.

What level do most official adventures give you access to buying Plate? 6? 8? It's not a level 1 thing and if your DM does it he should be stabbed in the kidneys.
>>
>>53504077
They're mediocre if I remember kobold stats right.

You don't really need better hit chance when you do jack shit for damage as a monk anyway.
You only get +2 to dex, right?

Wood elf, variant human (mobile), stout halfling or whatever would be better.
>>
>>53503989
I think you've made the best tank in the game solely because there is no reason to hit them
>>
>>53504140
Well shit, is it at least passable? I really want to play one but I guess a Rogue is my backup option even though I would rather not be one.
>>
>>53504194
It works and you'll be fine unless your DM is incredibly hardcore, but just don't do some stupid shit like thinking you're a tank or wasting ASIs on other things.

You'll have 15 AC until level 4 where hopefully you could get 17 AC. Without mobile, you'll end up locked in melee a lot.

But more importantly a kobold monk just sounds kind of stupid, to be honest. Little midget running around punching people in the shin sort of meme. But I guess monks don't do a lot of damage anyway so that's fine.
>>
File: Sundaland.jpg (7MB, 5260x4754px) Image search: [Google]
Sundaland.jpg
7MB, 5260x4754px
So after seeing this map, I had the intense urge to run a game set in mythic SE asia.
Beyond Oriental Adventures, are there any resources for this sort of setting?
>>
>>53503574
>jeans
This almost annoys me as much as that spartan pic.
>>
>>53504194
So, monks do great damage; until later on, or when compared to great weapon fighters. Remember, they're the first class to get 3 attacks on a turn (level 2, for the cost of 1 ki), or 4 at level 5, again for 1 ki.

That's without feats, of course.

Otherwise, they do good damage, and certainly outdamage rogues. If your party isn't min/maxed, you might be the highest damage dealer.
>>
>>53504244
>Little midget running around punching people in the shin sort of meme
You do know that Halflings are canon really good Monks? They even have the whole Hin Fist thing centered around them.

As far as Forgotten Realms go, short Races are actually common among Monks.
>>
>>53504313
speaking of this, should my goblin monk go long death or shadow
>>
>>53504313
Any benefits of being small would be greatly outweighed by the benefits of being bigger.
And anyway, wouldn't bigger body = more ki?

Aside from that, kobolds don't really seem to be the sort for all this ki flow stuff unless you flavour it as some sort of harnessing of draconic bloodlines. But then it kinda feels that kobold on most ideas is 'I want to play a small cute furry (but actually scaley) creature that does cool things despite being a tiny runt!'
>>
>>53504397
>Any benefits of being small would be greatly outweighed by the benefits of being bigger.
Apparently not in a fantasy game of pretend.

>And anyway, wouldn't bigger body = more ki?
Yeah, wouldn't a bigger body mean more imaginary game resource?

You sound remarkably unpleasant; not even giving the guy a chance to make his character, shooting down the idea without hearing the background.

You are where fun goes to die.
>>
Someone please explain to me how spellcasting works for clerics. Assume I know nothing about DnD.
>>
>>53504488
As you progress as a cleric, you have a number of spell slots as shown in the table of class features and shit, at the start of the cleric section.

You can use these slots (it might make more sense to think of slots as very specific mana. Imagine you have 9 different mana bars (levels 1 through 9)) to cast spells.

At the end of every long rest, you prepare a number of spells equal to your cleric level+your wisdom modifier, from the cleric list of spells. You can only prepare spells if you have a spell slot of the appropriate level to cast them.
>>
>>53504066
>Monks with 18-21 AC for msot of the game
Uh huh, and you're what level after spending how many ASIs to do this? Or did you just happen to roll two 18s for your starting stats and pick a +2 Dex race or Variant Human and dump a +1/+1 ASI at level 4? Yeah, that's definitely how most Monks work. Fuck off with this AC argument.

>but extra attacks
Okay, and while you're doing 1d8+3+1d4+3 (~13 [~24 with Flurry of Blows) at creation, a Fighter could be doing 1d8+5 (~9.5 [~17.5]) or 2d6+3 (~10 [~18]) before we even talk about PAM (~11 if V. Human [~10]) or GWM tomfoolery.

And the disparity shrinks at 5 because now we're talking about your Monk doing 1d8+4+1d8+4+1d6+4 (~24.5 [~32]) the Fighter's doing 1d8+6+1d8+6 (~21 [~31]) or 2d6+4+2d6+4 (~22 [~32]) or 1d10+4+1d10+4+1d4+4 (~25.5 [~29]). Add +2 [+4] to the first two and +3 [+5] to the last at level 6 when Fighters get their bonus ASI if they max out their Strength. Meanwhile, Monk's waiting until 8 to cap out their Dex and still hasn't maxed their Wis to get AC comparable to the Fighter, who by that point has advanced as well.

Then the Fighter/Monk shoots past the regular Monk in damage once he gets a +1 weapon, since no one bothers making +1 quarterstaves (don't be fucking stupid, it's a goddamn stick, why would any enchanter care) and your ass has to settle for a +1 Shortsword. Fighter can also theoretically find +1 armor in the higher levels or a +1 shield, while the party isn't going to let your stupid Monk wear the +1 Robe because we all know Wizards are greedy fuckers and what the fuck Kevin why do you even want it, it doesn't stack with your Mage Armor, let me have it you bitch.

>>53504106
Horseshit. According to /tg/ all Monks pop out of the womb with 20 Dex and 20 Wis and four extra ASIs to kick around as they please at level one. Your stupid Wood Elf Monk has 15-16 AC at creation, 17 at 4, and 18 at 8 with no fun inbetween while any Fighter or Paladin walks out of character creation with 16-19 AC.
>>
>>53504488
they ask their gods for spells every night and the better their standing with the god is (their level) the more spells they get and the more powerful those spells are
>>
>>53504559
>You can use these slots to cast spells.

Meant to say, you use these slots to cast spells by expending the appropriate leveled slot to cast a spell you have prepared.

It's much more straightforward than the book would have you believe.

You have spell slots, spells known, and spells prepared.

As you're a cleric, you know all your spells.

You choose which spells to prepare each day, up to a maximum of your cleric level+wisdom modifier.

You expend spell slots in order to actually cast the prepared spells (which are still prepared, you can prepare spell A, and then cast it once, twice, or more, if you have the appropriate spell slots, without having to prepare it again).
>>
How do frost gaint tame white wyrm? I want to beable to do it too.
>>
File: keace augh.gif (854KB, 316x236px) Image search: [Google]
keace augh.gif
854KB, 316x236px
>>53504574
>the party isn't going to let your stupid Monk wear the +1 Robe because we all know Wizards are greedy fuckers and what the fuck Kevin why do you even want it, it doesn't stack with your Mage Armor, let me have it you bitch
>>
>>53504620
they beat them into submission from birth until they learn not to fuck with their giant overlords, same with remorhaz
>>
>>53504644
reminds me of the time our wizard tried to take the belt of cloud giant strength meant for our fighter
>>
>>53504574
Do you think fighters can get to 18 AC early without a shield?

Because they can't, unless your DM is a little bitch and hands out crutches constantly.

Monks can start at 16 AC without too much issue (you can point buy two 15s, or one 15 and one 14). By level 8, that's 18 AC.

Fighters get to start with 16 (18, if you want to forgo beating the monk in damage), and then are entirely at the mercy of the DM to upgrade.

And the monk can still grapple, because he can have a hand free, if he wants, without losing anything.

But let's not digress; I'm not trying to say the monk is better at dealing damage than the fighter, only that your armored monk idea is strictly worse than either a pure fighter, or pure monk.

Like really, hands down worse.
>>
Does this seem enough for a legendary item? Sorry for the wall of text.

>Staff of the Archdruid

This staff can be wielded as a magic quarterstaff that grants a +3 bonus to attack and damage rolls made with it. You have a +2 bonus to spell attack rolls, a +1 bonus to your spell save DC, and you are always considered to be under the effect of a barkskin spell.

The staff has 10 charges for the following properties. It regains 1d8 + 2 expended charges daily at dawn.

>Spells.
You can use an action to expend 1 or more of the staff's charges to cast one of the following spells from it, using your spell save DC: animal friendship (1 charge), beast bond (1 charge), giant insect (4 charges), locate animals or plants (2 charges), speak with animals (1 charge), speak with plants (3 charges), or bones of the earth (6 charges).

>Tree Form.
You can use an action to plant one end of the staff in fertile earth and expend 1 charge to transform the staff into a healthy tree. The tree is 60 feet tall and has a 5-foot-diameter trunk, and its branches at the top spread out in a 20-foot radius. The tree appears ordinary but radiates a faint aura of transmutation magic if targeted by detect magic. While touching the tree and using another action to speak its command word, you return the staff to its normal form. Any creature in the tree falls when it reverts to a staff.

>Tree Shape.
You can use an action to switch your physical body with the bonsai tree on top of the staff and transform yourself into a treant for up to 1 hour. As a treant, you don't have the "Animate Trees" option. This transformation otherwise functions as the polymorph spell, and you must maintain concentration. Once you use this property, you can't use it again until the next dawn. In addition, any damage taken as a treant will be passed on to the bonsai, the only way it can recover hit points is by tending to it. Some druidic magic can speed the process along, but the tree must heal itself.
>>
>>53504077
>Pack Tactics, meaning if you're fighting with another frontliner you always have advantage on your attacks
>+2 Dex, which is good for Monk's unarmed attack and damage rolls
The only thing you won't be doing is succeeding very many Athletics checks, plus Sunlight Sensitivity is a bitch to work around. Otherwise, go ahead and be the screaming kung fu lizard you were always meant to be!
>>
>>53504620
Two thumpers are planted. The wyrm may not come for the first, but he will rise for the second. You must walk without rhythm, so you don't attract the wyrm. It will go for the thumper.

When the wyrm approaches, you must be utterly still, and close enough to plant a hook firmly under a scale. The wyrm will turn to lift the hook as far from the abrasive ground as possible and will take you with it to the top.

Do not get too close as he approaches, or the wind will knock you down. Wait until the head of the wyrm passes, then go. Quickly.
>>
>>53504574
Wait, how many fighter/monk levels are you even taking?
>>
>>53504280
You could check L5R
>>
>>53504683
how long does the tree healing take?
>>
>>53504013
>The risk of failure is too much of a deterrent for them to try interesting maneuvers.

Then they are pussies. Tell them to man the fuck up. If they can't handle failure they shouldn't be playing RPGs, they should be playing some kind of freeform wank where the DM lets them do whatever they want.
>>
>>53504077
>monks
>good

LMAO
>>
Ok so I posted last night and got one person's input, I plan on making an Oath of Ancients musketeer, think three musketeers book and movies. The build is based around Dex for rapier use and leaning more towards a buckler.

Couple questions are does anyone think a dagger/shortsword in the off hand is even worth it, or just keep something like that as a backup? Also what would be a good feat to take with V.Human?
>>
>>53504013
>The risk of failure is too much of a deterrent for them to try interesting maneuvers.

If you're gonna make them win every roll anyway just play Dungeon World
>>
>>53504798
even within monks there can still be shit, when talking about unoptimized monks
>>
>>53504679
>Fighters are reliant on DMs to hand out shields when they can fucking start with one as part of their default equipment or buy one in their backstory
what the fuck are you on

>Monks can grapple without losing anything
But you're using a quarterstaff for its superior damage so now you're down to 1d4 for all your hits, or 1d6 past 5. You're also not very good at it since grappling uses Strength and you are a Dex build by necessity. If I wanted to play a grappling Armored Monk I'd take Tavern Brawler, Duelist style, and fight with a shield and free arm, making improvised weapon attacks with my shield for 1d4+2+Str which is better than Monk until 5, as good until 11, and just slightly worse after that but who cares because how long are we really going to be playing a game past 11? Besides, I'm checking out of Monk after 8-9 levels and picking up my Fighter archetype which will give me expanded crits or spells or maneuvers or something.

Jesus Christ, Battlemaster/Monk.
>stunning fist
>automatically knockdown and disarm while doing full damage
>then bonus action grapple to keep them there and drag them away
Absolutely sickening.
>>
>>53504812
Does your game have muskets?
>>
>>53504666

Fuck you, I wanna be a muscle wizard.
>>
>>53504683
I wouldn't say legendary.

Tree Form is a ribbon-like ability. It'd be great in the desert, and pretty not amazing anywhere else.

Tree Shape is neat, but I wouldn't call it super remarkable.

Probably very rare.
>>
>>53504847
you don't fuck with masiff under any circumstances unless you wanna roll for anal circumference
>>
>>53504843
Probably not, was just gonna work with a hand crossbow as a side arm for range and call it good.
>>
>>53504847
Why would you give a strength belt to someone who's strong? That's like 2 points worth of strength. Give it to the wizard, that's like 6 to 8 points of strength worth.
>>
>>53504908
thats a legendary magic item fuckwit
>>
>>53504738
You take just one level of Fighter at creation to get your armor and weapon proficiencies. Second Wind's cool, too. Then you're straight Monk all the way to 8. Shadow Monk is probably your best archetype choice just because of how useful its teleport can be (plus the fucking spells--holy shit, Silence and Pass Without Trace?). I suppose you could stop at Monk 6, but you're missing out on Evasion and an ASI, which are real good.

At Fighter 1 / Monk 8 you have a choice: take one more Monk level and get the ability to run up walls (it's part of Unarmored Movement but the feature only says your move speed is not improved if you're wearing armor, there's nothing about the supernatural ability to run across water or up walls regardless of your speed) or go straight Fighter from then on. Monk 10's not too amazing and the archetype bonus at 11 can be hit or miss, but it's probably not worth the Fighter archetype.

Whether you go 8 or 9 Monk, it's back to Fighter after that. Action Surge and Maneuvers are where it's at, especially since you can stun. I suppose there's some synergy between the Knight Marking and taking Dodge as a bonus action; the creature just has Disadvantage to hit anyone at that point.
>>
>>53504840
>what the fuck are you on
You misunderstood me.

I said: "Do you think fighters can get to 18 AC early without a shield?

Because they can't, unless your DM is a little bitch and hands out crutches constantly."

Fighters are reliant on DMs for UPGRADES to gear, not for shields. Please pay closer attention, this wasn't even written ambiguously.

>Besides, I'm checking out of Monk after 8-9 levels and picking up my Fighter archetype which will give me expanded crits or spells or maneuvers or something.
Ah, I see. So instead of doing something where you'd be better off as a pure monk, you're doing something where you'd be better off not wearing armor.

Now I see why you want to wear armo-wait a second, it's still retarded!
>>
>>53504798
Monks are honestly fine at being a control martial at th cost of damage.

Open Hand does Battlemaster a lot better with the drawback being you give up damage, they work best in a party with a GWM Fighter/Paladin around to take advantage of the Stuns and Prones.
>>
>>53504908

This nigga gets it.

Give the frail wizard the swole belt and he'll start suplexing people into his fireballs
>>
>>53504822
>If you're gonna make them win every roll anyway just play Dungeon World

This. Anon the game you actually want to be playing is Dungeon World. It's pretty much objectively one of the best currently out there. It has fast easy to use mechsnics and is perfect for beginners, it's a lot cheaper than most of these other rules bloated systems that cost fifty dollars. There is no reason for extra rules when it is he role playing that matters. Dungeon World is fast and innovative and still feels exactly like the spirit of ADND before DnD 3.5 destroyed the hobby and ruined a generation of role players. You want fast, intuitive combat? Dungeon World does that. You want real, deep roleplaying mechanics? Dungeon World does that. You want great mechanics that reward diversity of play? Dungeon World does that as well. My last session of Dungeon World my human fighter wrapped a vampire in a bear hug and wrestled him out a window. This is real roleplaying we are talking about here, not babby 3.5 shit. Do yourself a favor and pick up a copy of Dungeon World today, it is an evolution and perfection of the half-formed ideas in Apocalypse World (the game it is derived from)
>>
>>53504754
I'm not entirely sure yet, thinking 10 HP per hour that the druid spends taking care of it personally. But this might be too fast. Any healing spell would be either halved or 2 HP per slot level.

>>53504874

What would it take to make it legendary? Remove concentration on Tree Shape? Also, I figure bonus to spell attacks and saving throw DC goes a long way.
>>
>>53504946
*sigh* roll for anal circumference
>>
File: image.jpg (45KB, 448x252px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
45KB, 448x252px
>>53503574
Ah wahso wahso, pardon me for asking but what happen to rast edition? I want to know how to pray a Shou Lung detective.
You begin thlead but you do not conlibute.
>>
>>53504908
>That's like 2 points worth of strength

I think it's not about how much of an increase it is, but more about how often it'll be applied.

It'll never be applied as the wizard, or at most, once a turn (haste can be cast on the wizard, or on the fighter, so it's irrelevant). The fighter will use it 4 times a turn, most likely.

Also, storm giant's strength ups strength to either 27 or 29, so it's like 7 points of strength.

But you're right, the fighter should get the tome of +2 intellect, even if it can boost the wizard to 22 int, and it's only upping the fighter to 10.

Who cares if he never uses int?
>>
>>53504935
How the fuck is taking 8-9 levels of Monk better off not using armor when all through this thread we've explored how little actually changes for a Monk if you wear armor? Your AC is higher and your damage doesn't suffer to any meaningful degree, and remains better if you GWM. Exactly how much are you valuing +10-15 Speed, because that's all that armor really deprives you of at this point.
>>
>>53504934
>it's part of Unarmored Movement but the feature only says your move speed is not improved if you're wearing armor, there's nothing about the supernatural ability to run across water or up walls regardless of your speed
This is munchkin bullshit. I think it's pretty clear that the intention is for the whole feature to shut down if you're wearing armor.
>>
File: swordsplit.webm (2MB, 576x304px) Image search: [Google]
swordsplit.webm
2MB, 576x304px
>>53505014
Chinese languages have rhotic sounds; they have no problem with L/R.
You're mimicking a bad Japanese accent, which is represented in Kara Tur by Wa and Kozakura, not Shou Lung.
Get your fucking lore straight, faggot.
>>
>>53505019
>Your AC is higher
It isn't, though.
>>
>>53505068
is there a sage advice on it?
>>
>>53505068
That would suggest wall-running stops working if you were then deprived of the bonus speed from Unarmored Movement, but since there's nothing about that in there (you can presumably still run up walls while Slowed) I see no reason why not having that bonus speed in the first place is necessary. There's no weight limit on the wall-running feature, either.
>>
>>53505019
I have never seen someone get full plate in a game.

Last game I played in, we got to level 15, and had a Paladin.
>>
>>53505147
could he not drop 1000 gp at that level?
>>
>>53505138
>there's nothing that says I can't wear 3 ioun stones
>>
>>53505168
if you're an artifacer you can wear even more
>>
>>>53505166
Even if he could, Plate's hard to come by. 99% of Armourers won't have it laying around the shop at all, let alone in your size.

So you'd probably have to first find a good Armourer, then commission the Plate and then wait like half a year for it. There are easier ways to get it and most people should have it at level 8-10 but it's not a common thing.
>>
I want to play a hobgoblin wizard in 5e. What are some good martial weapons to pick up? And is evocation a decent specialty for a wizard?
>>
How do you decide what are appropriate DCs for spells granted by your homebrew magic items?
>>
>>53505218
or go to a famous armorer who uses magic to make armor because low-magic settings are retarded
>>
>>53505239
according to rarity
>>
>>53505113
>Monk shows up with 15-16 AC if Variant Human or Wood Elf; worse for just about everyone else
>Fighter shows up with 16-19 AC at level one
>Monk AC improves to 17 at level 4 and +1 each ASI thereafter
>Fighter AC improves the moment he finds 200gp and is in a sizable town (assuming he didn't sell off equipment in his backstory to get 200gp, which is possible) or kills something his size with splint or plate armor, and improves on the rare chance he finds magical armor or a shield
>barring magical equipment, Fighter sits pretty at 18-21 AC as soon as he has plate, while it takes until level 8 for the Monk to hit 18, 12 to hit 19 AC, and 16 to hit 20
Or are you basing your argument on the assumption that this is 3E where Monks got +AC as they leveled or that you're ROLLING STATS at character creation like some kind of shithead? Because ha ha, fuck off in that last case
>>
Any good resources for Homebrewing creatures? The stuff in the DMG is fucking shit.
>>
>>53505284
[spoilers] your imagination [/spoilers]
>>
>>53505237
>What are some good martial weapons to pick up?
Longbow at low levels, cantrips quickly become better though.

>>53505237
>And is evocation a decent specialty for a wizard?
All Wizard's are at least good, just remember Evocation isn't needed too often.

When you do need a Fireball dropped or a target Magic Missiled into oblivion you'll be happy you took it. It really comes online at level 10 because you add the +Intelligence to every Magic Missile dart, so it's a 3d4+18 damage with no save or attack roll for a first level spell.

>>53505250
Which in itself is a quest, if you're going to some famous armourer at level 4 and offer him 1000gp he'll tell you to fuck right off. A man who can create suits of Plate in an instant would be working for a King and taking a break from that to make one for you isn't worth it.
>>
>>53505218
Man, there's numerous enemies that just wear plate and if you kill any one of them you jack their shit. You could go into any large city (which, with most released modules taking place in the Sword Coast, are all over the place; Neverwinter, Silverymoon, Waterdeep, Yartar, Everlund, Mithral Hall, arguably Baldur's Gate and Berdusk) and find plate in a proper size. Pay an armorer to resize some straps if you really have to.

Unless you're innawoods all your life or your DM is running some custom world where every town is a dirt hovel and the wonders of iron were discovered in the last 20 years, you shouldn't have to wait until level 8 to find plate. Whether or not you can afford to acquire it (monetarily or morally) is another question, but that's also up to your DM and circumstance.
>>
>>53505267
On page 284 you have that table that says what spells it can have by rarity, but the DC isn't mentioned.
>>
>>53505343
Or he's doing what real life armorers did when they worked out how to make plate armor en masse (Via guild work and delegation) and shipping it around the known world for local armorers to fit to the final customer. Making it easily means it becomes an off the shelf item, not even more exclusive.
>>
File: 5e2[1].jpg (106KB, 554x439px) Image search: [Google]
5e2[1].jpg
106KB, 554x439px
>play monk
>AC barely comes up because I'm running in and out of combat
>if it does it's 18+ because kensei a best
>>
>>53505306

You think if I had imagination I'd be asking /5eg/?

Come on now.
>>
>>53505390 use it a guideline, vary rares (staves) use your own dc and wands use a lower dc like 13 for uncommon or 15 (I think) for rares
>>
>>53505277
>Fighter AC improves the moment he finds 200gp and is in a sizable town

Which in an average party splitting loot fairly means that you have all together gathered 800gp-1000gp. I'm pretty sure most adventures give you that all up around level 4-6.

This also means you probably can't afford to eat or have any of the utility items martials should have.
>>
I was trying to snag some stuff from the Mega in the OP and shit keeps sticking at 99%.

What do?
>>
>>53504700
Based
>>
>>53505443
>the party's first use of money isn't upgrading the armor on the guy who takes all the hits so they don't have to
This is the problem with having a communist party instead of a socialist party.

EVERY fucking game I've played, the first thing the party does with cash in a town if they haven't already looted better gear is to kit out their martials. The Rogues and Wizards and Warlocks happily give up "their share" because anything of value to them that could possibly be purchased is all of the party's money anyhow, and if we're going to spend the group loot on 1-2 people we may as well do it in the fashion that gets us a slight discount (selling the old gear) and keeps everyone alive.
>>
>>53505470
Just wait. It'll finish eventually.
>>
>>53503778
At this point you're just a fighter that can dash/disengage as a bonus action. In which case you should have just picked fighter and dipped into rogue instead so you'd also get expertise, sneak attack, and theives cant for if your DM ever actually uses it.
>>
>>53505470
If it doesn't complete after a minute or two, cancel and restart. Download one file at a time.
>>
>>53505520
Rogues don't get bonus jumping power and they can't Dodge as a bonus action; they get Hide instead (but also don't have to spend ki).

Rogues also have 1d6 HD, don't get Extra Attack, don't get Deflect Arrows, don't get Slow Fall, don't get Stillness of Mind, and can't fucking teleport or cast Silence.
>>
>>53503962
>>53503921
She's a serious attention whore and tries to keep guys on her hook. There's not a single part of her personality that isn't about being as "fashionable" as possible. A Hipster to the core she's concrete evidence on DnD being "in" right now. Or as she calls it "improvisational games". She dresses to lure guys in and if a guy shows interest she tries to beat them into submission with SJW jingoism.

She always had to be the "weird" race when rolling characters and spent every game on her phone. The monster races I was always fine accommodating, the phone got annoying when I'd have to repeat her name several times when it would be her turn. I don't miss her leaving but I am sad that she left by making a big spectacle of it in front of the party. I think she expected me to be shamed into compliance but instead she got me engaging her in a pretty calm Jordan B Peterson style debate which she quickly crumbled under, you know that 'repeating what the other person said back at them but in an indignant voice' people do as they search for an actual response. She left crying, at the beginning of the game. No one really faulted either party spare sharing instances of previous outbursts on her part, but it left me drained for the rest of the game.
>>
>>53505501
...Why the fuck are you exploring dungeons, fighting Dragons and other assorted horrors then? I don't know about you but if I'm doing all that shit I expect to be keeping my share of the treasure.

Personally we have a 4 man part and split loot 5 ways. The 5th one goes to the communal lot we use if someone needs something desperately and for paying living expenses.

As a Wizard I'm sure as fuck not giving up the money I need for scribing spells just so one of the martials can have +1 AC. That's only a 5% less
chance off getting hit compared to 4 levels worth of spells.

If you want to metagame then sure give them your pile of money for +1 AC.
>>
>>53504683
How do I make this item worthy of legendary status?
>>
>>53505086
That was one of the first wire-fu movies I saw. Still a fave.
>>
>>53504666
Wizards, no sense of right or wrong.
>>
>>53505607
Your entire outlook is at odds with itself. You want to get money to scribe down your spells? You're a frail man in a dress whose walking into monster dens with a group of people to get that money, and the only thing standing between you and a goblin gangrape is the guy in a chain shirt and pants, who could be girding his loins with metal plates if not for the fact that you gotta get that fancy writing ink right now.

Either you want all your money, in which case leave the group and stop exploring dungeons and righting the wrongs of the land; or you're an adventurer and part of a group of adventurers, in which case that group is the machine that carries you to greater heights of wealth and fame, and you do everything possible to keep that machine well-oiled and functioning.
>>
>>53505520
>at low levels you don't have the features you want so there's no point in taking that class instead of another one
??????????????????????????????
>>
>>53505607
You can be the party tank then. My Chainmail Fighter ass is going to be hucking javelins from behind you until he saves up enough of his own money to buy better gear.

Also, any healing potions I forcefeed your dying body come out of your pocket. Not wasting my own potions on you.
>>
Fucking fighters.
>I'm the most important part of the group!
>Money should be spent on my needs, they outweigh yours because I say so!
>>
>>53505757
>the party can't spend 40gp to live longer
Even when you buy him platemail it's not like the Fighter is immediately going to demand his share from then on. You can consider that armor an advance loan.
>>
>>53505757
It's called hazard pay. The guy who willingly puts his body between you and all the sharp, pointy things, the exploding traps, and brain-eating monsters gets more money because he could fucking die while all you have to worry about is standing in the back, around the corner, with an Expeditious Retreat ready to get run back to town.
>>
>>53505757
>>Money should be spent on my needs, they outweigh yours because I'm the one always at the front tanking shit!
FTFY
>>
>>53505682
It's not about that, I'm partners with these peopl and I expect an equal share. If I have to cast this, brew that, identify your sword and kill things as well then I want equal share. If the party would rather not do it that way then they can take a party of all frontliners who can fight to the death over who gets the Plate.

If we come across better armour and some of our group savings would help you buy it, then go right ahead. I'm not giving you money out of my pocket to do your role you're already getting paid for.

>>53505711
I know the spell Healing Elixir.

That aside I think it's perfectly fair that if you give up a Healing Potion for me I'll pay it back. I'd be a dick not to.
>>
>>53505890
Are you sure you're not a Sorcerer? This level of self-entitlement would go hand-in-hand with the bloodborne gift of magic. I'd expect a high INT Wizard to understand simple concepts like shared risk and adventuring economics.
>>
>>53503574
So I've got a buddy wanting to play the Artificer Class in an upcoming campaign. Looking over the rulesheet I'm struck with some issues I think they'll run into. Whats a decent way to address a few of the Alchemist's problems without making them crazy OP?

The main things I see being a problem are the Mechanical assistant not scaling beyond CR 2 and how their cantrips are save and nothing happens.

Being a somewhat new DM I am unsure what would be appropriate increases in CR rating for the mechanical dude, and if I should give him an option for half damage cantrips or at the least INT-mod on those alchemical damage abilities
>>
>>53505933
>their cantrips are save and nothing happens
So, exactly like cantrips.
Also like the save-defending versions of attacks, where nothing happens if you fail to beat AC.
>>
>tfw cleric player with higher INT than WIS because he's smart
>tfw characterization/optimization internal conflicts
>>
How do you encourage entertaining, mobile, acrobatic, and heroic combat as a DM, and as a player?

My players, if left to their own devices, will make combat exceedingly boring. Every turn is a cantrip or an attack action. They never attempt to do anything interesting with skill checks (i've talked to one, and his feeling is that if an action requires a skill check, it's unreliable, and better to just stick with attacking). Am I just fucked with 5e?
>>
>>53505952
Right and I'm not denying that, but its also their only source of damage. Their spell-list is nearly 100% utility so outside of those vials they aren't doing squat for damage, and if we are likening them to attacks they don't get additional attacks at level 5 or whatever as well. Its a cantrip casting class where they get 2 damage options, both if saved do nothing.
>>
>>53505974
I've made it so that Opportunity Attacks are only provoked with enemies that you're engaged with so it's easier to move around. For mobility.
>>
>>53505933
The Mechanical Servant is an Alternate Familiar, it's not a Beastmaster pet. Familiars don't scale. You could make it do that if you want; just require money (for materials) and higher levels on the Artificer's part to upgrade the servant. Every level let him increase some one statistic of the creature by whatever value you feel appropriate. He could spend five levels pumping AC or health or split it between Strength and AC or whatever else.
>>
>>53505584
They get 1d8 hit dice just like monk, the rest is true enough. If it was fighter 1-2 rogue X you could get all their goodies I suppose. You could even get darkness as an arcane trickster, although that's at your 8th level of it so level 9-10.
>>
>>53505988
That's exactly like martials and Warlocks. If they don't land their attack, they don't do damage. There's nothing weird about this. It's a utility class; it exists to make everyone else better. Spreading buff spells around and circumventing the Concentration limitation is hugely useful. And they're healing, and they're making magic items.

Shit, they can Shield of Faith and Enlarge the relevant party members.
>>
>>53505993
Interesting. That's something I'll consider. To clarify, you mean if 3 goblins are surrounding a barbarian, the barbarian would provoke opportunity attacks from all 3 by moving, but not the goblin wizard along his path, that wasn't surrounding him?
>>
I'm wondering if this grows-stronger-with-the-user unique magic item I'm introducing in our campaign is actually too unappealing if the McGuffin quest isn't done (it's an extremely difficult quest)

Water-related-thing Spear
(Pike, requires attunement)

The wielder never has to make any checks due to being on a wet surface (such as an acrobatics check not to fall).

Whenever this weapon is wet, it deals 1 extra point of damage.
If the wielder has a proficiency bonus of at least +4, he deals an extra 1d6 points of damage instead.

If the wielder has the polearm master feat
Whenever you hit with the Attack of Oportunity from someone entering your reach, you may move the creature 5ft to the left or to the right, as long as it’s medium or smaller

If the McGuffin is placed on its shaft
The weapon now lets you cast the following spells (DC 15):
Tidal Wave 1/day
Control Water 1/week
Tsunami - once. This can be recharged by a caster (who can use this spell) spending an 8th level or higher spell slot for five consecutive days.

If the wielder drowns
The wielder can cast Water Breathing as a ritual.
>>
>>53504812
A musketeer is Oath of Crown idiot. You also need surprise surprise muskets
>>
>>53506040
As a 3rd caster means their options are limited as hell even if they can enchant an item to cast a spell, while still having to navigate long-rest only replenishment. Enchanting a coin to cast enlarge then passing it only the Barb is great and all but they can't do that shit that much until high levels.

We have an Artificer in our group right now at level 10, he is barely relevant after an encounter or so.

If you want a pure utility class play Wizard.
>>
>>53506040
You seem to be missing my point about how other classes that are "cantrip" only like Warlocks get multiple attacks(beams) per cantrip so even if you miss with a few you will still affect something. The fighter analog you keep bringing up is wrong as well, multiple attacks that can gain advantage far beats a 30foot cantrip that you can only cast once per turn. Also as a 3rd caster they aren't going to be doing more than a few cool things every once in a while.
>>
>>53506058
>Spear
>is a Pike

Kill thyself
>>
File: Artificer Homebrew.pdf (8MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Artificer Homebrew.pdf
8MB, 1x1px
>>53505933
I'm fond of this homebrew revision.
>>
>>53505970
Sounds like a Knowledge Cleric to me. Even if you switch Int and Wis around you have Expertise in two skills to prove your nerdness.
>>
>>53506378
No, Tempest. He rolled for his stats like the rest of us at the DM's request, myself and the others got through pretty well but he got crap and assigned them STR9 DEX8 CON15 INT13 WIS12 CHA9, and he's a normal human so everything gets +1 but jeez louise.
>>
>>53506455
Sounds like your DM needs to allow him to array if he is the low one out of all of you Unicorn spellwright
>>
>>53505601
i'm familiar with kermit but why, out of curiosity, did you refuse to call her "they"?
>>
>>53506462
No, he did array, that's the initial problem that I said he should put the 13 into his WIS for 14 total but he said he's a smart cookie. He might switch the CHA with DEX so at least he can attack at range without penalty. Got a 0 with a crossbow earlier.
:I
>>
File: excerpt_MM_0909_1.png (124KB, 400x326px) Image search: [Google]
excerpt_MM_0909_1.png
124KB, 400x326px
>CR 2
>has the ability to easily kill level 14+ PCs
>>
>>53506096
that oath blows

Also it's the aesthetics that I'm going for not much else
>>
>>53505933
My first suggestion is give them half caster progression, like paladins and rangers. Figure out which 5th level spells they should have access to (Creation, Animate Objects, Antilife Shell, Circle of Power, Passwall, Telekinesis, Mislead, all seem to fit).

Second you could give them an option for an attack. Just make sure it does a lot less damage than their vials and it's not technically an attack action, just another thing they pull out of their satchel and throw, like some kind of shrapnel bomb that only blows and deals damage on a hit. Like "Make a ranged spell attack using your spell attack bonus. On a hit, you deal 1d4 piercing damage. This formula’s damage increases by 1d4 when you reach certain levels in this class: 4th level (2d4), 7th level (3d4), 10th level (4d4), 13th level (5d4), 16th level (6d4), and 19th level (7d4).

Third, you could let them upgrade the Mechanical Servant, I don't see why not.
>>
>>53506530
CR 11 Archmage with 9th level spells.

Yeah, any complaints about PF having bad CR is easily exceeded by 3.5, and 5e makes 3.5 seem reasonably well thought out.
>>
8 wisdom cleric?
>>
File: HoardDragonQueen.jpg (426KB, 1600x1120px) Image search: [Google]
HoardDragonQueen.jpg
426KB, 1600x1120px
Hey /5eg/

I'm wanting to run Rise of Tiamat and bought the book. After reading I found out it was a part 2 to Hoard of the dragon queen.
I already bought the book for Hoard, but our next session is wednesday.

Does anyone have a pdf of Hoard of the Dragon Queen?
>>
Is there anyway to justify playing a Drow? It seems like playing one is a massive red flag.
>>
As DM would you allow a warlock to give up their ability score increase to choose another invocation instead of a feat?
>>
Anybody have any idea why they removed the spells from "Book of lost spells" from the spell references on 5etools?
>>
>>53506530
simple fix, have Body Snatch explicitly require an action.
Boom, there's no way a single intellect devourer can kill high level PC's
>>
>>53506626
It's in the Mega in OP. Also, seriously, read this:
http://thecampaign20xx.blogspot.com.br/2014/10/tyranny-of-dragons-guide-to-hoard-of.html
It helped me more than I can tell you when I ran Hoard, and it still helps me through running Rise.
>>
>>53506632
I always liked the
>I realized drows are cunts and wanted out
backstory
>>
>>53506632
you're playing OotA? That's what i did.
>>
>>53506624
>DC10 saving throws at first level
>can't multiclass
>no bonuses for healing
>>53506632
>>53506652
I like them as that, Niko Bellic-likes, or someone who wasn't up to snuff with the highly competitive corporate nature of Drow society and moved up to the surface for a more relaxed way of life. They're probably high-tier anyway because they're drow, so it probably evens out a bit.
>>
>>53506652
>after being literally stabbed in the back, I decided to leave the underdark
That could work.
>>53506668
I was planning on either bladesinger if the DM allows it or hexblade.
>>
>>53506634
Sounds like a bad trade, to be honest. If I were the DM, I'd have the patron concede an extra invocation for their warlock in exchange for something, like 1-2 points of Constitution (their life force), or completing some task the patron wants done. Essentially like a story reward.
>>
Playing a Nomad Mystic what quirk should I give it that would be fun to role play?
>>
>>53506646
It can still reduce your INT to 0 in one action, which is more or less a death unless you have a cleric with greater restoration, and what the hell do you do if it was that cleric that got brain melted?
>>
>>53506632
I'm actually playing a drow arcane trickster right now.
My group just finished OotA and we decided to bench our old PCs to make new ones for TftYP, so I just said he was a refugee to the overworld after the demon lords destroyed menzoberranzan and he saw Lolth's face melt off courtesy of my druid.
>>
>>53506704
Same guy. I like that story reward idea. I'm a big fan of upgrades like that.

And I wouldn't say it's a bad trade. Some feats are really bad and some invocations are fairly nice (although most are limited in one way or another). Personally I think that the average feat more or less balances out to the average invocation.
>>
>>53506737
>It can still reduce your INT to 0 in one action, which is more or less a death unless you have a cleric with greater restoration, and what the hell do you do if it was that cleric that got brain melted?

Do you're level 14 PCs NOT have friends in high places?
>>
How do I build a grappler?
>>
>>53506648
You're a kind and gentle soul. I'll totally use this. I've never ran a module before and was wanting to start with a new one. I inherited a shit ton of AD&D modules from my dad and needed a basis for new modules

Does anyone have advice on converting old shit to 5e friendly?
>>
>>53506770
Strength as high as it can go, Grappler, Monk, Tavern Brawler. In that order.
>>
>>53506709
Distrusting settled life is something I liked.
>Complains that chairs could leave splinters and prefers sitting on the ground
>Hates doors because anything can be on the otherside
>Builds are too hard to escape from if needed
Then again this is sounding a bit too edgy for me as I try and think of stuff.
>>
>>53506801
Grappler is trash and why would you be a monk? Go rogue for that athletics expertise.
>>
>>53506820
Monk to punch the shit out of things. Grappler because he wants to grapple?

Tavern Brawler might be shit though, on second thought, since it uses a bonus action that monks already use.
>>
>>53506820
another thing you can do is to use rope or chains as an improvised weapon of some sort.

Carry them in a fight or on you. Then you grapple them and try to hogtie 'em down.

Maybe the DM will give you magical +1 handcuffs.
>>
>>53506832
Restraining sets your own speed to 0, and makes attacks on the target have advantage. And it has Dex save disadvantage.

Grappling and knocking the target prone does the same thing without wasting a feat slot, and you can drag your target around. Unless you really want that Dex save disadvantage, Grappler is a bad feat.
>>
>>53506530
Looks like I found my new mechanical servant.
>>
>>53506946
aberrations are not beasts.
>>
>>53506600
Being fair, the Archmage list is mostly shit.
>>
>>53506946
>Robot that can steal brains
>>
/5eg/ why aren't you regularly buying sheets of lead?

Think about it, it's incredibly useful. A Divination wizard starts waving his hands in a weird way and you don't see a fireball? Throw that lead sheet in front of you and laugh because so many spells get stopped by it
>>
>>53507440
Explain...I'm not sure how that works but I'd like to know for my Anti-mage build.
>>
>>53506484
She never asked.
She simply yelled at me one when she left and then this time demanded that I call her He and Him. She then made a big deal about respecting her gender and I told her she had been disrespectful towards me in requesting this. I then told her I placed a great deal of importance and value in masculinity and asked her why she thought she deserved these pronouns. That hit her like a wet fish to the face and she went into the bathroom, worked up some tears, and then left.

Later group texted everyone about "erasing queer and trans identities"
>>
>>53507577
A few divination spells state they do not work if there's a barrier in the way. Such as
>2 feet of rock
>2 inches of any metal other than lead
>A thin sheet of lead
etc, and if you happened to have a divination wizard mad at you it sounds like it'd be useful
>>
>>53505970
Should have been a Theurge Wizard. It fits the meek scholar in robes theme better anyway.
>>
anyone else here done Adventurer's League? had my first experience with it tonight and I'm still not sure what to think.

>pay to play, though this might be just a store decision
>combat combat and look more combat
>player IC, probably unironically says "XP Bags" about creatures in an encounter
>when we're not fighting, we get a short social encounter where one guy gets to do about 75% of the talking and suddenly we're on to the next fight
>out of 7 players, 3 of them are doing 90% of anything in combat
>and god forbid you're a level 1 coming into an established group
>if I want to keep playing the character i have to finish this adventure, or spend "downtime days" getting out of the underdark

did I just experience cancer, guys? First D&D experience in about 5 years. on the other hand, i got 2 level-ups in one session. so I got that going for me. which is nice.
>>
>>53506632
You're in an Underdark campaign.
>>
>>53507639
Yeah, but what do those spells do? Stop him detecting you? He already knows you're there.

Not to say I wouldn't of course, I'd get a lead lining on the inside of my shield asap for when it comes up.

Also earplugs on a string connected to a necklace, stops a lot of mind control effects.
>>
>>53507683
Yes, it's garbage. I played in AL for over a year, and the only reason I did so was to build a web of connections, and eventually find/build a real game, which took even more time.
>>
File: 1487617852893.jpg (663KB, 3198x2766px) Image search: [Google]
1487617852893.jpg
663KB, 3198x2766px
>Want to grapple
>Want to bully baddies with shield master
Help
>>
>>53506139
That anon was comparing the wrong class, pretend the Artificer is a Rogue. It's why they are hit or miss, but for big damage. They both have higher utility out of combat than more consistent damage dealers, but are able to whiff in combat.

There is nothing wrong with this.
>>
>>53507753
Play a Minotaur and do both.
>>
>>53507706
Things like detect thoughts or detect magic, if you have something on hand that you don't want him to know about, like some small piece of magical jewelry, or maybe you just don't like people prying in your head.

It's a lot more niche than I first made it out to be, but it has some uses
>>
So why did they ditch the Swift/Move/Standard action economy and instead turned moving into this weird pseudo-action and added that unnecessarily contrived bonus-action shebang?
>>
So I started a new campaign today and one of the chucklefucks i'm playing with is doing a CN paladin who is very literally just a murderhobo.
I've tried to explain that that's not how it works but no one else seems to give a fuck.
Am I the autist?
>>
>>53507753
>Take the attack action
>Knock down with shield
>Grapple using your attack
>Punch in the face if you happen to have the extra attack feature

It's something literally any class with a shield can do.
>>
>>53507760
Once again I bring up rogues get advantage on their attacks as a certainty so they have that ace in the hole compared to a class that is literally all or nothing, no additional ways to modify or enhance this. Rogues are also going to get magical weapons or items to enhance their attacks.

Thundercanon sure, that's more accurate of a comparison, but the alchemist path is underpowered.
>>
>>53507775
You honestly have to be retarded to not get it.

You have movement and that's the number of feet you can move.

You have 1 bonus action you can use.

You have 1 action you can use.

You have 1 reaction you can use.

It's pretty basic shit man.
>>
Is an opportunity attack resolved after the victim moves 5 feet or before they move at all?
I ask because Sentinel says that hitting an enemy with an opportunity attack reduces their speed to 0 for the rest of their turn. Are they just stopped right where they originally were as if they never moved at all?
>>
>>53507786
>rogues get advantage on their attacks as a certainty
No they fucking don't?
Unless you play with flanking protip, it breaks encounter math the rogue is much more likely to get sneak attack via ally proximity than advantage. I suppose you could be hiding and using a ranged weapon every round, but then you need a vantage point with sufficient cover, you can't hide out in the open.

If your DM keeps enemies in LoS of known snipers, they are dumb enemies or a dumb DM.
>>
>>53507786
I don't know man, being able to hit an AoE with the Fir option's probably better then Sneak Attack if there's more then one enemy around.

That said, I do think that it should get Half Damage on a Save at level 10ish.
>>
>>53507785
You need an open hand to grapple.
Or are you just suggesting to put away my sword to grapple?
>>
>>53507784
Ignore the CN part. Ignore the Paladin part. Are they being retardedly evil, and pointing at the 9 alignment cubes trying to say they're a good boy? That is a problem.
Is he being an evil retard, but accepting that he's just as much of a bastard as he is? That's still a problem as most games can't handle, and run poorly trying to accommodate an evil character.

What exactly is the problem? Everyone is a murderhobo, the term means nothing anymore.
>>
>>53507753
Tavern Brawler, Lizardfolk, Minotaur, Tabaxi, Birdman and now even Dragonborn can do this. Be a Figher so you can spare the feat.
>>
>>53507813
Which is what the entire argument has been about, after a point the Alchemist just flat out sucks via damage with its limited options.
>>
>>53507819
Why do you need to be using a sword?
If you want to use Shield Master and grapple, you use a throwing weapon, and stop using them when you need to keep someone down. Hell, you could even use a net, then you have even more battlefield control.
>>
What stat would you use for brewer's supplies?
>>
>>53507849
>>53507813
I really don't see why alchemists should do partial damage "cantrips" when other classes, outside of a specific archetype, don't. I WILL say, they should be able to target at least 2 saving throws, or have an attack roll based option though
>>
>>53507827
The first statement is true.
The problem is that we're a mostly good-aligned band of heroes and he goes out of his way to commit wanton acts of torture and violence on helpless creatures for the fuck of it and then says "it's fine, I'm chaotic neutral"
>>
>>53507860
Highest of Wis/Int.
>>
>>53507854
I like putting a dude in a headlock with my left hand while stabbing him in the gut with my right. Suppose I'll just have to choose between damage+grapple or shield bully + grapple depending on the encounter
>>
>>53507881
Again, that's why you use shield+throwing weapon.
Your damage die loss doesn't alter DPR significantly, you have a ranged option built in, and when you see something worth grappling, you just don't draw another one.
>>
>>53507873
Should have had your thoughts on alignment fixed and formulated before you ever got there. Say that you've thought about it, and that ignoring alignment that you'd never have your character be in the same party as him without trying to murder him, and that you want to either get into a PvP fight (lol), convert the game to a heroic campaign, or convert the game to an evil campaign. Either requiring new characters from anyone who'd get left out.
>>
Quick /tg/, I need trivial but entertaining magical items that would be sold at at a magical joke and gag shop! So far I have:

>Charmer's Choker: a tight necklace that makes the wearer's winks emit an audible "ding" sound.

>Hustler's Haypenny: a copper coin with two faces. When it is used in a wager between two parties and flipped, the resulting face will always be the opposite of the one called by who flipped it. If flipped by a third party, it's like a regular coin.

>Swaying Weight: a hefty-looking kettlebell the size of a melon. Between midnight and noon, it weighs one-tenth of a pound. From noon to midnight, it weighs ten pounds.

>Voodoo Kazoo: a wooden kazoo. It is imbued with a one-use enchantment where any melody played on it becomes stuck in the head of a target of the player's choice. This target can be anyone the player has seen before, and they can be anywhere on the Material Plane.

>Ring of Rusing: If the user wears this ring on their finger, and then touches a target's chest with that finger and attempts to convince the target that there is something on their shirt, the target must succeed on a DC 8 Wisdom saving throw or be compelled to look down at their shirt. The ruse fails immediately if the target is not actually wearing a shirt.
>>
What race have you never seen played?
>>
>>53507904
Interesting, I never even thought of throwing weapons. Thanks!
>>
>>53507868
I'd argue they should get something because its their only option for damage. Their spell-list is pure utility. It takes save or suck to a new level that only affects them. If they were a half-caster that had some damage options sure, let them have these no-save "cantrips" but this is 5e, if you don't have some decent damage options you aren't going to do well.
>>
>>53507915
Yeah, I think the main problem is that there were basically no guidelines for chargen.
The dm just called some people and threw a game together. We all had literally a two day notice, so there was no coordination.
I don't even know some of the people in this group, including the murderhobo paladin naturally.
>>
>>53507930
Aarokocra, except in a one-off, and halfling, strangely.
>>
>>53507683
XP for combat was a mistake. League play works when you buy XP with Gold.
>>
>>53507775
Bonus Action = Swift Action
Action = Standard Action
Movement can be broken up because having spring attack as a feat tax if you want to do anything mobile at all is retarded, also to make grease less of a broken shit

how is this hard
>>
>>53507930
>>53507953
Oh, and the Volo's races, but that's just because it's new(ish).
>>
>>53507794
m8
I get it. I'm asking why they changed a simple, modular system into a system that has two weird exceptions (moving, which is no action but just something you can do except when you can't and reactions which are actions but not on your turn) when changing it accomplishes nothing (I can see right now, that's why I'm asking)
>>
So our Land Druid is thinking of multiclassing into Monk because she thinks the concept of a gorilla or whatever that can do Kung Fu would be awesome, and the unarmored defense thing would come in handy for her.

How do we deal with "unarmed strikes" if shes, say, a bear? Do we just give them the damage that she would do from a normal claw attack as a bear? This could be overpowered, but I'm having a hard time figuring out how a bear would only deal a 1d4 with the unarmed strikes he would get for using a ki point. Bears have claws, why would the bear not use them? It's still technically "unarmed," right?
>>
>>53507961
>how is this hard
Nigga did I say anything about hard
I'm asking what they want to achieve by changing it
If you want to allow movement splitting you can do that without changing move as an action

also, old system allows trading in actions which is flexible and elegant
>>
So my 4th character just died in our first 5e campaign. I'm sick of the DMs shady explanations, tricks and traps. I find myself frequently being the one in the group asked to touch the thing or what have you, and it usually ends with my ass hanging out.

My question for you, /5eg/, is what class should I play to not die, or to be able to write off as "not the guy who touches shit" because I'm sick of being the nominated one.
>>
>>53507975
>Movement is a "move action"
>You move, and then don't
>Movement is a number
>You can move, do thing, move, do thing, and move, as long as you are below the number

Movement as an action's only benefit is being able to "spend" it in another manner, which was not an intended part of 5e design.

As for reactions, you still get 1 per round, it can just be whenever something triggers it. That's it. Still is 1 action per type per round. It's an "instant" instead of a "sorcery".
>>
>>53508005
She doesn't get class attacks like that. She can attack as a bear AND have the AC of a monk, but that's it.
>>
>>53508013

Go Rogue and max out your Investigation skill as much as you can?
>>
>>53508029
Why's that?
>>
>>53508006
>old system allows trading in actions which is flexible and elegant
It's also restricting in design. With 5e, you can have bonus actions that are as strong or stronger than actions, because you still only have the 1, regardless of the action you take.
>>
>>53508013
>"not the guy who touches shit"
Wizard. Mage hand and unseen servant to touch things for you. Or better yet, arcane trickster rogue. Mage hand that can use thieves' tools.
>>
>>53508039
Monsters don't have the Unarmed Strike attack available to PCs. Natural Weapons are different too.
>>
>>53508039
The wording of wildshape and the wording of AC choices.
>>
File: gunslingerhomebrew.pdf (4MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
gunslingerhomebrew.pdf
4MB, 1x1px
>>53508013
Is anyone else dying this much because you might wanna talk to DM or other players about not liking this.

Also gunslinger homebrew McJew. Why would he ever be too close for his guns to be effective?
>>
>>53508013
Long Death Monk. You can just say fuck no to dying.
>>
>>53503656
Clearly you're being infiltrated by /srg
>>
>>53507930
Goliaths
Tritons
Genasi
Lizardfolk
Kenku (though we came out of CoS with a Wereraven)
Aside from that, my players have been it all.

Currently they have a Tabaxi NPC, Two Llamas Running. The same WoTC Dungeon+ she came out of had RAW for playing a green slime character. Still haven't seen that.

And of course Warforged. I'll probably shoehorn them in soon enough.
>>
>>53507975
because "move action" was kind of retarded in practice, and was pretty restrictive. Only the 'as a move action you can do not-movement-thing' really gave it a reason to be an action, and that might as well just be a swift action instead

and let me go get my 3.5 books, because I'm fairly certain the 'immediate action' was introduced in the same sourcebooks as swift actions, and reactions are just immediate actions that aren't fucking garbage, it also standardized AoOs to work alongside other off-turn actions by making them a reaction
>>
>>53503989
>>run up walls
This doesnt work if you wear armour.
>>
>>53507930
Aarakocra, Asimar (all variants), Changeling, Duergar, Planeshift Elves, Genasi Air/Earth, all but one of the Planeshift Goblins+Volos goblins, SCAG Elves, Ghostwise Halfling, Hobgoblin, Planeshift Humans, Kobold, Kor, Merfolk, Orc, Revenant, Shifter, Abyssal Teifling, Triton, Vampire, Vedalken,
Have played in a game with literally anything else that has been released, including two different weird tree homebrews, and a half-giant.
>>
>>53508013
Honestly, just make your next characters personality include "cautious". You don't want to go down the tunnel, you don't want to touch the orb, you don't want to try that food, you don't want to sleep outside, just keep that in mind and be consistent. You aren't the adventurous sort inherently.
>>
>>53508047
>Mage hand
But that'd fuck up his int. Or was it wis?
>>
>>53508027
>Movement is a "move action"
>You move, and then don't
Are you literally on drugs? Spring attack existed in 3.5 you know. This is a complete non-argument.

>Movement as an action's only benefit is being able to "spend" it in another manner, which was not an intended part of 5e design.
>"Yeah m8, you can run 50 feet, but you can't click your heels to activate your magic boots or cast a spell that is literally so fast you can cast it as a reaction but you can run 50 feet lol"

>As for reactions, you still get 1 per round, it can just be whenever something triggers it. That's it. Still is 1 action per type per round. It's an "instant" instead of a "sorcery".
Just what the actual fuck are you talking about.
>>
>>53508101
-4 Wisdom I believe.
>>
>>53508055
>>53508056
Okay. Well would it be worth it to put a level or 2 into Monk for when she's NOT in wildshape? Getting AC from Wisdom seems pretty good for a druid, and bonus action dodges and dashes could help to make an escape in an emergency. Is there something I'm overlooking?
>>
>>53504983
...and take 3d4 damage
>>
>>53508106
Apparently you happen to be retarded, and i'm sorry for engaging you.
>>
So I'm a DM who kind of wants to run 5e but I really dislike how characters choose all these weird paths for getting stronger instead of more linear advancement and the magic system.

Is there any way to fix it or should I just move on?
>>
>>53508101
>>53508110
I have no idea what you're talking about. Explain.
>>
>>53508111
It's not AWFUL, and as long as she sticks to high dex beasts, she can have pretty good AC in wild shape too.

Although, i don't really see why you'd bother trying to buff your animal forms and NOT be circle of the moon. Your forms will NEVER keep up, and will always be utility.
>>
>>53508106
Regarding the Instant vs. Sorcery thing, it's M:tG terminology. Sorcery cards can only be cast on your own turn, Instant cards can be cast on any player's turn.
>>
>>53508046
It also results in this logical mess that you can do one thing that takes 0.5 second and one thing that takes 3 seconds but not two things that take 0.5 seconds. Instead they could have just made (Standard) actions good instead of heaping all abilities into Bonus but fuck that would require competent designer and not Mike "Up the butt is what I like" Mearls
>>
>>53508125
Gonna need more specifics
>>
>>53508125
You don't like choice for PCs? Sounds like an awful DM
>>
>>53508126
Someone used mage hand and his DM fucked his character with permanent stat loss. No warning, no save, just a straight loss with no recovery.
>>
>>53508125
That doesn't sound like a game I would want to play. People like choices.
>>
>>53508125
Move on. It's literally each class has 2-6 subclasses to make your character more unique, if you don't like PC's having any choice I'd recommend a video game.

>>53508126
Long story short? Guy touched an orb with mage hand and his DM said "You get -X Wisdom"
>>
>>53508137
You are under the false impression that "Action" and "Bonus Action" take a specific amount of time within a round, when they don't and nothing ever implies such. "Swift" implied a speedier action, but "Bonus" just means "You can do this too!"
>>
>>53508125
Move on. 5e is built around archetypes.
>>
>>53508084
>and let me go get my 3.5 books
I'm not talking about 3.5
3.5 actions were fucking retarded as well.

>it also standardized AoOs to work alongside other off-turn actions by making them a reaction
I know, and that's good

>because "move action" was kind of retarded in practice, and was pretty restrictive
How the fuck is having a more robust and modular design more restrictive or retarded? Elaborate!
>>
>>53508137
You're looking too deep into it. It's a gameplay mechanic rather than a realism mechanic
>>
>>53508154
>>53508148
Wizards with low wisdom are fun characters. Do it anyway.
>>
anyone have the pdf for the book of lost spells?

is it even balanced properly for 5e? or are they gamebreaking piles of crap?
>>
>>53508205
It's mostly unbalanced shit.
>>
>>53508180
Ok, on a gameplay level:
why make an arbitrary abstract action economy where you split your good actions between two resources plus one exception case which leads to unnecessary regulations to keep people from breaking it when you can have one where you have three resources with tiered value that is intuitively understood and allows you to trade between them?

>You have a red and a blue token. You may you either or both to do things, both do different things but you can not trade between them.
is objectively less engaging than
>You have a token worth 1, one worth 2 and one worth 3. Better effects are more expensive, you may overspend but you get no change

Second one allows actual decision making instead of just picking the best option for either resource.
>>
The avenger class do you think it would suit rogue or monk better if it was ever made an archetype?
>>
>>53508211
wish I could find a bloody pdf so I could check them out myself

not expecting anything really but if it's any good I could see myself buying it.

>>53508239
rogue already has edgelord assassins. not sure an avenger would fit monks though.

when I think avenger I think paladin choosing that as an oath personally?
>>
>>53508239
Isn't the Oath of Vengeance Paladin pretty much the Avenger class?
>>
>>53508233
Again, you are limiting design to Red>Blue>Green, when 5e allows for varying strengths for actions, bonus actions, and reactions.
>>
>>53508170
Wasn't 3.pf the only edition that used standard/move/swift? 4e used standard/minor/move/reaction I think, and 5e uses action/bonus/reaction/movement. Never played 2e, can't comment there.

As for 'move action', is there really a reason? Most of the time you're using it to move or do movement related things, like standing up from prone. The very few cases in which you'd actually want a non-movement move action to exist can still be accounted for in this system, just as an exception instead of the rule.

>>53508137
Bonus actions don't take 0.5 seconds, though. Consider that two-weapon fighting and similar things are bonus actions.
>>
>>53508282
Not really. It has all of 1 feature from it, the Oath of Enmity, which wasn't even the most iconic feature of the class. That was having unarmored defenses and swinging around goddamn fullblades using Dex.
>>
>>53508268
I found a mega link to the lost spells but it was taken down. pity.
>>
>>53508233
If I'm playing a Battlemaster with Parry and Riposte, and I also have the Sentinel and Blade Mastery feats, I have a lot of decision making to do.

Do I hold onto my reaction for an opportunity attack with advantage that stops the enemy in his tracks?
Or do I use my reaction to whack the enemy that just attacked one of my friends?
Or do I use it to take a parrying stance and gain +1 AC?
Or do I hold onto it in case an enemy makes an attack against me, I can parry to reduce the damage, or riposte if he misses.

This is an actual situation I find myself in regularly as I happen to play a Battlemaster with Parry and Riposte (among other maneuvers), Sentinel and Blade Mastery. There's no "best choice" to make, they're all situational and offer their own benefits based on the situation, and it may not be obvious whether you should take a reaction now or save it for something else that could happen further into the round.
>>
>>53508314
So, I heard Volo's Guide to Monsters has cat girls? Is this true? That'd be mildly depressining if it was, I'd hoped D&D would avoid what happened to Pathfinder.
>>
>>53508282
Not really the avenger has unarmed defense, use dex for great and long swords and could run through walls and shit like that. It actually felt like a holy magic powered assassin even if it was a weaker class the concept was cool.
>>
File: IMG_6121.jpg (145KB, 1000x1442px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6121.jpg
145KB, 1000x1442px
>>53508360
It has cat FEMALES there in the sense that the species comes in a male and female variety, but the tabaxi are not "cat girls", no.
They're shorter then humans, covered in fur, and have a completely feline face.

Much less "hya, nyan-nyan neko-chan" and much more "KHAJIT HAS DONE NOTHING! KHAJIT IS INNOCENT OF THIS CRIME!".
Which is appropriate because tabaxi actually make pretty good Rogues.
>>
>>53508287
>varying strengths for actions
How is that a good thing. Varying strengths at the same cost is shitty design and literally one of the main criticisms of 3.5

>Wasn't 3.pf the only edition that used standard/move/swift? 4e used standard/minor/move/reaction I think, and 5e uses action/bonus/reaction/movement. Never played 2e, can't comment there.
I'm mainly thinking of Star Wars SAGA here, which uses swift/move/standard with trading.

>>53508302
>Most of the time you're using it to move or do movement related things, like standing up from prone. The very few cases in which you'd actually want a non-movement move action to exist can still be accounted for in this system
Mostly because it's an exception, no content exists for it. 3.5 To gave you move action maneuvers, for example, and SAGA let you trade in move actions for swift actions and actually makes use of that.
Generally your action power level is standard>move>swift, but then you'd have situations where you kinda need to get two swift actions off so you have to weigh your usually weaker swift vs the usually stronger move action under the current situation. And then you get situations where you want three swifts and suddenly you're considering activating some minor ffuck-off character feature/item over attacking with your lightsaber because in this situation it might save your fucking life. THAT'S decision making, and honestly it's fun as fuck.

>>53508359
And in a better action economy system you'd have that PLUS being able to trade that shit in. That's my point. NuActions are literally a reduction of options for no apparent benefit.
>>
>>53508381
Oh, well that's cool then.
Khajit are actually one of my favorite fantasy races, so I might actually play something like that some time.
>>
File: Tabaxi.png (639KB, 449x741px) Image search: [Google]
Tabaxi.png
639KB, 449x741px
>>53508360
If this is what you call cat girls. I think they're pretty cool.
>Feline Agility. Your reflexes and agility allow you to move with a burst of speed.
>When you move on your >turn in combat, you can double your speed until the end of the turn.
>Once you use this trait, you can't use it again until you move 0 feet on one of your turns.
>Cat's Claws. Because of your claws, you have a climbing speed of 20 feet. In addition, your claws are natural weapons, which you can use to make unarmed strikes.
>If you hit with them, you deal slashing damage equal to 1d4 + your Strength modifier, instead of the bludgeoning damage normal for an unarmed strike.
>Cat's Talent. You have proficiency in the Perception and Stealth skills.
>>
>>53508381
Tabaxi are actually taller than humans, but very slender.
>>
>OotA
>Grazzt
>Bluff +15

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>53508413
Taxabi are actually my favorite race, since I like playing sneaky guys.
>>
>>53508413
>>53508399
Also +2 Dex, +1 CHA
>>
>>53508239
I'd say Paladin. Give it an unarmoured AC like Redemption and some of the features from Vengeance.

Another option would be a Kensai/Cleric. That's probably the best way to do it right now.
>>
I'm new to D&D and I'm about to create my first character. I wanted to go with a Tiefling
Warlock. I am a little intimidated by all the spells and cantrips and I'm not really sure how they all work. I'm also unsure about what God I want to pick. I'm leaning towards The Fiend since his spells seem like the most direct damage kind of stuff. Any suggestions on what spells I should take first and what stats I should min/max?

Also at level three should I choose the familiar, or book? I forget what the other choice was but I remember not liking it.
>>
>>53506770
The real answer is Barbarogue with the Tavern Brawler feat if you want. It's MAD because of the multiclass requirements (at least 13 in the three physical attributes), but you wind up having Athletics Expertise while raging, which means +7 grapples with advantage at level 2, and it only gets better. Wear Medium Armour and take Tavern Brawler when you hit 4 in a class.
>>
>>53508498
I'd go Battlerager too.
>>
>be lvl 9 fighter, with only good attributes being str and cons
>8 intelligence and wisdom
>"I know, I'll be the typical dumbass!"
>we approach an NPC with a mysterious artifact that is magical, dick wizard recognises it and doesn't tell anyone (it's a tarrasque summoning thing)
>despite it obviously being a bad idea, 3 natural 20s and insistence on role playing mean that we help the dude and go through the ritual.
>we pour stupid amounts of resources into it, eventually DM comes to a point where we have to sacrifice mages to summon "the creature".
>party tried to find a way to control the tarrasque, then to slay it forever, try to look for quest hooks to Help. Nothing
>party very opposed to completing ritual, have known for a while and have been trying, unsuccessfully, to stop an 8 wisdom, 18 strength fighter from cutting the head off a mage.
>tarrasque summoned
>one shots me
>one shots rest of party
When does "in character" go too far?
>>
>>53508490
Familiar and book are both good, but the book is a bit better due to the fact that you can take an invocation with it that lets you learn rituals spells from *any* spell list.

Be sure to take Eldrich Blast, as well as the Agonizing Blast invocation. It's by far the best cantrip in the game for dealing damage.
>>
>>53508534
When the player of said 8 int/wis is a fucking idiot who doesn't realize 8 isn't total retard tier
>>
>>53508534
8 doesn't mean you're a typical dumbass.
>>
>>53508534
If you knew it was a tarrasque, that should have been enough.
>>
>>53508534
>Acts retarded because 8 is a -1
>"It's what my character would do!"

Stop playing untill you figure out what the stats actually represent.
>>
>>53508549
>>53508555
To be fair, the greater contributing factors were the total lack of ability to speak, and the characters bravado and insistence on leading
>>
>>53508490
Starting at level 1? and you're wanting to cast spells right? If so Book is the better option imo. You can take find familiar as a ritual with the book feature itself kind-of negating most of what makes chain good.

Get Eldrich blast as a cantrip its the best in the game flat out with its paired invocation. Other cantrips I'd say go for minor illusion to goof around.

Invocations definitely pick up Agonizing blast,and maybe either book invocation for some cool rituals, or if you want to go crazy later Devil's sight to pair with Darkness.

3rd option you were thinking of is Pact of the blade, and its garbage vanilla but fantastic when you look at the Hexblade UA.
>>
>>53508533
Yep, Battlerager if it's available since Dwarf is good for this kind of build, or Old Faithful bear totem for general tankiness if you want to play a different race.
>>
>>53508569
Sounds cancerous.

>When does "in character" go too far?
When you started subjecting people to your shitty RP.
>>
>>53508413
I am playing a Tabaxi Monk right now. The fluff is that mutations in a corrupted area has elevated certain animals to higher intelligence and more humanoid appearance.

Very shit at talking, and very animalistic in act, especially in terms if protecting the pack, and *especially* the children (party is lugging around 2 kids, twins at age 4).

Very fun character to play. Felines have a fun concept of power structure, and it gives a lot of room for hilarious situations.

So-called Fetish bait happens with literally anything, and should never happen in the first place. Tabaxi are no more prone to this than literally anything else. Faggots who thinks that it is okay to magical realm with humans can go fuck themselves with 3d4s.
>>
>>53508636
k
>>
>>53508538
I was leaning towards the book over the familiar, only because I can't find any info about Imps, or Pseudodragons anywhere. All I bought was the Player's Handbook 5th edition one and it doesn't list any info about Warlock familiars anywhere.. Or at least I can't find them so I don't know whats so special about them.

Eldrich Blast definitely seemed good since I think later on I can improve it with the Eldritch Invocations. I should just get the invocations for the Eldrich and Agonizing Blast then? Any others I should pick up?

I don't really understand what ritual spells do and which ritual spells would I even want to get?

>>53508576
I am starting at level 1 but I am trying to play a little bit ahead too. I'm looking to be mainly a spellcaster and to stay away from most of the danger. I don't play on heading in first anywhere. I'm looking to be mainly a powerhouse with powerful spells, with maybe a little bit of utility here and there but I'm not sure what sort of utility spells are best. I don't really know what to expect since I've only played D&D like twice.

Do I want spells like illusions to mess with people or friends to persuade people? I'm not sure what would be better for the party.

I get three Cantrips with my Book which ones should I get?
>>
File: Pseudodragon.png (2MB, 772x1050px) Image search: [Google]
Pseudodragon.png
2MB, 772x1050px
>>53508679
They're in the Monster Manual. There's download links in the OP.
>>
File: Sprite.png (1MB, 767x1049px) Image search: [Google]
Sprite.png
1MB, 767x1049px
>>53508706
>>
File: Quasit.png (1MB, 763x1037px) Image search: [Google]
Quasit.png
1MB, 763x1037px
>>53508728
>>
>>53508679
Depends on what your party is going to be bringing. Main thing to keep in mind when you're a warlock is your spellcasting is at a premium. You get 2 slots to work with for most of your career so you have to stretch the mileage a lot to make the most of them, however you do have the great benefit of those spell-slots refreshing on short rests. So if you DM is decent you'll get a good amount of them so you'll feel effective the whole time.

Vicious mockery is a good cantrip from Bards, Guidance is great from Clerics. Shocking grasp for a melee option that lets you escape Opportunity attacks.

When I played my invocation order was Agonizing blast, Book for some rituals, Familiar was one of them, and Devil's sight so I could blast into Darkness at advantage.
>>
File: IMG_0885.jpg (179KB, 846x571px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0885.jpg
179KB, 846x571px
How does the bonus forced movement portion of the Sea Sorc feature interact with multiple hits, ie repelling blast?
>>
>>53508679
>>53508706
TAKE NOTE: Both the imp and the psuedodragon have variant rules regarding familiars. These rules DO NOT apply to the version summoned with Find Familiar. Those familiar are not actual, natural-born imps or psuedodragons; they are magical creatures created from nothing by the casting of the spell. Those rules normally only apply when you find the creature in the wild and convince it to become your familiar.

With that said, check with your DM. He could always rule that, as a chain pact Warlock, the familiar you receive is actually a pre-existing creature gifted to you by your patron and bound to your will by the find familiar spell.
>>
>>53508679
Get the Repelling Invocation for EB. Moving LITERALLY EVERYTHING 10ft on a hit is like buttered sex.

Rituals are any spell with the Ritual tag (check the spell descriptions in the PHB). You can cast these without spell slots if you take 10 minutes to cast them. They are situational, but nice to have.

Warlocks are combat mages. Really, they play more like a Half-Caster with a unique spell progression. Damage can be usually handled by your cantrips, but on occasion you'll need to fireball someone's miserable doomed ass. As a long time Warlock player, I'd advise using spell slots only when their use will more than likely swing the battle in your favor. Like, combining Darkness with the Darkvision Invocation. It will FUCK most things. I like to cast Darkness on my pact weapon and wade into an isolated group of enemies that the rest of the party is having trouble with.
>>
>>53508760
>>53508753
Same for this. Basically, whenever that familiar block comes up, it's up to your DM whether or not you can get that bonus by summoning the thing with Find Familiar.
>>
File: imp.png (690KB, 732x1054px) Image search: [Google]
imp.png
690KB, 732x1054px
>>53508753
>>
>>53508770
Thoughts on Tomelock?
>>
>>53508757
Normally, any sort of forced movement does not trigger OAs.
>>
>>53505284
By checking the correct resource, you fucking retard. The MM.
>>
>>53506770
There's also the meme option of Rogue, Expertise in Athletics, Grappler, Arcane Trickster, Fly. Grab the enemy, fly up as high as you can, then let go.
>>
>>53507930
The only races in use I have seen are:
VHuman (Literally every human I've seen out of a total of 4 I think)
Tiefling
Tabaxi (2x)
Wood Elf
Minotaur
Aasimar
Half-Elf
Dragonborn
And some weird weak homebrew shit just to make a friend happy
I've only played five sessions total. First two in Lost Mines, second pair in some other custom setting, and the most recent on Sunday in what's apparently the Princes of the Apocalypse campaign but given a Greek flavor
>>
>>53508785
Tomelock's fantastic, like playing a very different style of wizard. I actually passed off my character AS a wizard to the party (the players knew though).

My tomelock experience won't be too helpful after that though. Didn't play long, and I realized only afterward we'd fucked up the rule about casting through your familiar. I thought I could cast EB through my Raven's eyes, and the DM didn't correct me.
>>
>>53506600
What would you flag those CRs as, you colossus of the mind?
>>
>>53508757
Nevermind. Realized the curse activation is once a turn.
>>
>>53508819
I'm currently a Svirfneblin, and my party is 2 other normal gnomes, a goliath, a tabaxi, and a human. We have a second human, but they've been at 1/4 sessions for this new campaign, so i'm ready to drop them
>>
How would you fix human and V human?
>>
>>53506580
>>53505998
good stuff
>>
>>53508902
Remove regular and just make the Variant version the only option. No point in having the regular version.
>>
>>53508929
how is variant human not broken as fuck?
>>
>>53508706
Oh thanks I'll take a look at that then, all I have in front of me is the Player's Handbook which I bought the other day. Thank you for the images. Do the familiars gain XP or do they stay at that level/power the whole time? Which would be the best familiar to get? The dragon seems pretty cool.

>>53508756
I think it's a Paladin, Bard, and Ranger however we are all at level 1 so I'm not sure how they will be building, and I also am not really sure what they are capable of either.

What should be the first spells I take? I was leaning towards Witch Bolt or Hellish Rebuke since they seem really strong.

>>53508760
So I should be using my cantrips every turn for most of the fights, that seems reasonable. I liked the idea of of a class that wasn't too limited by spell slots.

>>53508770
The Invocation for pushing people, doing more damage and for more range all seem like the first three Invocations that I will be picking up. Not sure what I should do after that though. I'll be sure to look through all the rituals.

So I should choose 3 ritual spells for my 3 cantrips for my Tome? Or are there any other useful things to pick up for my Tome?
>>
>>53508961
Well Armor of Agathys is top tier and near mandatory imo. Other good options are Hex for EB turreting, and Witch-bolt is fine, not going to do much else with level 1's honestly. If you are Tiefling you get rebuke and darkness at some point for free.
>>
I want to make a ranged battlemaster. What maneuvers should I take besides Precision Strike? I'm also getting the Sharpshooter feat through Variant Human.
>>
>>53509013
Lunging attack
>>
>>53509013
Eh, I'm not big on Precision Strike unless you're doing Sharpshooter. But I'd suggest Distracting Strike, Trip Attack, Goading Attack if you've got melee that'll benefit from the AoO if it tries to come after you, and Maneuvering Attack if you have lots of melee.
>>
>>53508534
>When does "in character" go too far?
In my group's case, when the Lawful Good cleric downed the whole team to keep them from "murdering" a bunch of non-combatant goblins, and then the goblins swarmed the cleric who was basically all alone at that point.
>>
>>53508961
Get Armor of Shadows if you find yourself getting attacked a lot.
>>
>>53504280
This map is a gem. Thank you for sharing anon.
>>
How are Monks for damage in a game where the other martials are a Sword and Boarder and a Dual-Wielder?
>>
>>53509358
Unlikely to keep up with the Dual-wielder, but as a Monk you can excel at getting at soft targets among enemy groups and completely destroying them while your other melee take on their toughs.
>>
What android app do you folks use to keep track of your spells? I like the d20 one but you can't edit the spells you add, so I'm probably switching to 5th Ed Spellbook but the teal is so gross
>>
How do I break my friends game as much as possible to show him the dangers of homebrew? As a barb.
>>
>>53509637
Nuclear drui-
>As a barb
Oh. What homwbrew are you using?
>>
>>53509745
5e rules with an OC campaign, and some OC magic items. I'm using an axe that gives me 2d12 on attacks. Half-orc/GWM/rage brings that up to 5d12+16 on crits. Figure I should go in to 3 levels of fighter for more crits.
>>
>>53509778
I think you have it figured out.
>>
>>53509778
If you can get a polearm that gives you 2d10 on attacks or something, go barbarian/fighter/paladin and take polearm mastery. You'll make between 3 and 4 attacks a round at level 5 and murderize everything.
Otherwise if you have to use the axe berserker gets you an extra attack even if it's pretty sucky to use.

When people give you stupidly powerful weapons you need to maximize how many attacks you're making.
>>
>>53510308
New thread in the dead hours
>>53510308
>>53510308
Thread posts: 344
Thread images: 20

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.