[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

why is /tg/ so butthurt about looking up a rule?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: mild_disgust.png (61KB, 325x224px) Image search: [Google]
mild_disgust.png
61KB, 325x224px
>omg i love this system because I don't have to look up rules in the book

Why is this even considered a valid complaint? Oh no! Oh no! the DM's oh-so-precious immersive description is interrupted for 30 seconds while we page through a book! Even when we played 3.5 no one cared about this. Do you do this in board games, too? "OH well I don't remember this exact rule so instead of looking it up we'll make something up because reading is hard." Then the result is DM fiat controlling most of the game which is stupid because most DMs are shit.
>>
get tae fuck ye cunt
>>
>>53497892
who are you quoting?
>>
>>53497892
>why is /tg/ so butthurt about looking up a rule?
as usual, one moron spouts some crap with complete confidence and the spineless betas here suck up his saliva and turn it into a meme.
>>
>>53497892
I'm not butthurt about looking up a rule.
I'm butthurt about those "roll 1" memes that have people performing skill checks that have CUH-RA-ZEE results when someone rolls a 1, like massaging an orc.

When it's pretty clear that you can't fumble a skill check, only fail.
>>
>>53499926
Y'know those stories are just made up bullshit for the (You)s right? No one actually plays like that. R-Right?
>>
Ignore bait
>>
>>53497892
Looking up rules is fine. Having to reference the book every time an action is taken because of a million different subsystems each with their own set of special rules and modifiers sucks. Not to mention odd spot rules that are snuck into what would normally be standard rulings that become incredibly easy to forget.
It also sucks when the special rules that are there are hidden in pages of unintuitive editing and general writing bullshit.

Refrencing can actually be fun when it is comes up sparingly. I remember playing Battletech in highschool and every time we needed to go back to the Death-From-Above rules it felt fucking great. But if we had to do that every turn or second turn it would have bogged down the game. I think the same goes for RPGs.
I want action to be resolved accurately and in a timely fashion so the game can progress. This can be done with complex rules but if they aren't built on a solid core or lack proper formatting the group will have to choose between speed or accuracy. I don't think ether is a good trade.

The DM isn't the only one at the table. A game is made fun by the whole group and each individual's contribution to the action. A slow game usually means the DM has to take even more control (since the average exchange is P1>DM>P2>DM>ect...) So if the DM isn't particularly strong it means the players have fewer opportunities to improve the game themselves.
>>
>>53499982
Literally evey player I have played woth does that.
Most don't have wacky results though it's typically something like falling or dropping your weapon.
I honestly don't know why that idea triggers you autists so much.
>>
>>53502111
Also
>pcs interacting with the books in any way without being forced.
Hilarious joke anon!
>>
>>53502111
>>53499926
Crazy critfail memery is stupid, but so is being butthurt over stupid stories.
>>
>>53497892
Eat a bag of dicks
>>
>>53499926
Fair enough.

>>53500383
OP here, you are correct. The problem is people who make ultra-light games and insist on GM fiat being the best thing ever because if someone ever has to look at a rulebook ever during a game, they are clearly autistic munchkins. Fuck those people.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.