[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dungeon meshi

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 9

File: images.jpg (10KB, 180x227px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
10KB, 180x227px
What system would be best for a dungeon meshi style game? How to emphasize the need to eat in the dungeon in a not boring way? What about the magic system?

PS: post Marcilles
>>
>>53493202
>Wizard is starving! WIZARD MUST EAT!!!
>>
Different recipes bring different effects/buffs? That way the players are encouraged to try different things?
>>
I've been meaning to ask. Is it "Meshi" or "Menshi"? Everyone says Meshi but that doesn't mean fucking anything in Japanese.
>>
>>53493202
Classic Fantasy is based on RuneQuest 6, which has great rules for survival that take a little work to track (mainly fatigue is a huge part if the game).
>>
>>53493557
It means delicious rice/food in Japanese.
>>
>>53493557
>doesn't mean fucking anything in Japanese
according to wikipedia:
>Gohan or Meshi: plainly cooked white rice. It is such a staple that the terms gohan and meshi are also used to refer meals in general, such as Asa gohan/meshi (朝御飯, 朝飯, breakfast), Hiru gohan/meshi (昼御飯, 昼飯, lunch), and Ban gohan/meshi (晩御飯, 晩飯, dinner).
>>
>>53493202
Wizardry
>>
>>53493557
lrn2kanji, or get a proper dictionary

飯 (めし) = meal
>>
>>53493202
>How to emphasize the need to eat in the dungeon in a not boring way?
While I like Dungeon Meshi the whole premise of non-perishable food being boring batshit retarded.
>>
Torchbearer is rather focused on food, encumbrance and survival mechanics, so that might work.
>>
>>53493843
Maybe they mean boring due to over-reliance - if people are full-time adventurers which go with their non-perishables most of their life, even decent variety and messing around through cooking won't change the fact that sometimes you do want some fresh ingredients/edibles. Or maybe non-perishables are more limited in variety/quality than IRL. People running on jerky, some dried vegs/mushrooms and flour, perhaps?
>>
File: 1491530398199.jpg (209KB, 743x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1491530398199.jpg
209KB, 743x1000px
>>53493202

Out Of The Abyss.
>>
WARRIOR NEEDS FOOD BADLY
>>
>>53493202
Make it not just mechanics but aprt of the fluff. When characters rest, inform players that after the battle, when adrenaline comes down, tiredness and hunger sets in. And should they decide to cook etc, make sure you have some nice descriptions of what they made and how it affected them.

Also, ban any snacks or any other food during the session unless you're cooking and eating in-game - and never big portions. Naturally, that works only during IRL sessions.
>>
>game has food mechanic
>game has weight capacity
>players forget to keep track of it

EVERY TIME
>>
File: KulaGunsSmol.png (23KB, 106x113px) Image search: [Google]
KulaGunsSmol.png
23KB, 106x113px
>>53494870
This
>>
Ryuutama is focused on travel; it shouldn't be too hard to append a more in-depth food system to that. Maybe replace (or add to) the Terrain/Weather mechanic with Flora and Fauna? IIRC, the Musician learns songs that help the party in specific Weather/Terrain combos -- maybe file the name off and turn songs into recipes and Musician into Chef?
>>
File: Hopscotch_to_oblivion.jpg (308KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Hopscotch_to_oblivion.jpg
308KB, 768x1024px
Are there more of these deconstruction dungeon comics around?

I'm working on a comic that features more black comedy - about an infinite everchanging dungeon, and the problems that exploring such a place pose. Like getting lost and having to spend forever in a dungeon that changes its layout everyday.

Dungeon Meshi is very inspirational even if it's more lighthearted than what I'm trying to do.
>>
File: 1486325060696.jpg (20KB, 220x315px) Image search: [Google]
1486325060696.jpg
20KB, 220x315px
>>53493202
>>
File: 1442153031201.jpg (12KB, 207x221px) Image search: [Google]
1442153031201.jpg
12KB, 207x221px
>>53493202
>>
File: Marsilla.jpg (39KB, 225x350px) Image search: [Google]
Marsilla.jpg
39KB, 225x350px
>>
Just read the chapter with the kraken fight. Holy fucking shit. Laius is fucking retarded.
>>
File: random encounter tables.png (585KB, 871x1200px) Image search: [Google]
random encounter tables.png
585KB, 871x1200px
>>53499906
Water Walk on a kraken is probably one of my favorite tricks ever. I always give my magician characters water walk just for that kind of thing.
>>
>>53493202
the only way is to prepare a thematically appropriate meal while playing.
>>
>>53493202
I also like Dungeon Meshi's focus on the workings of monsters. Laius found out that walking mushrooms are much easier to cut with the grain, that screams some kind of bonus when fighting them to me. Marcille was pretty much a goner if nobody knew slime anatomy.
The adventurers prefer either avoiding monsters, dealing with them in a way that isn't ten thousand fireballs and full attacks (like the frog suits to get through tentacles), or destroying a necessary amount them noncombatively, like the mandrakes. It's not "But the xp!".
It's also free of boring crap like Create Food spells and because the characters are characters and not numbers they're not going to just pick 700 mandrakes and eat them raw until the GM forces some kind of penalty.
Ultimately I think that's the thing, Dungeon Meshi could be run in a number of systems but what you need to reach that level of comfy adventuring is the right players. I know no such people.
>>
File: Marcille shock.png (381KB, 555x836px) Image search: [Google]
Marcille shock.png
381KB, 555x836px
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.