[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Oriental Adventures 5e - What races are there?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: Drinking Tanuki.png (392KB, 680x736px) Image search: [Google]
Drinking Tanuki.png
392KB, 680x736px
What are some actual interesting "Oriental" races for a High Fantasy Oriental Adventures setting?

Dungeons & Dragons has done an Oriental Adventures sourcebook in 1st edition and 3rd edition, and if that pattern holds true, we're due for one in 5th edition.

Here's the thing though... the Oriental Adventures races? They tend to suck.

Traditionally, we've only gotten the three: Korobokuru (Japanese Dwarves, which are basically Jap-Peasant Halflings in flavor), Spirit Folk (Japanese Elves), and Hengeyokai (a clumsy shoehorning of various animal shapeshifters into a single race). 3e at least gave us Rokugan's Nezumi and generic Vanara to go with it.

But, /tg/ is smarter than that (sometimes) and can get shit done (when it feels like it). So, I want to put this challenge to all D&D anons, 5e fans or not:

Don't forget, Oriental Adventures can also cover Chinese and Korean, and maybe even Indian inspiration as well as Japanese, so be creative.

Personally, I can easily see Kitsune, Tanuki, Inugami, Oni, and Jorogumo off the top of my head, but I don't actually know that much Oriental fantasy lore.

Also, apologies of the OP, but it was literally the only pic in my collection of that fit both the "is an oriental race" and the "isn't smutty" criteria boxes.
>>
>>53469708
I think you'd pull off a better oriental adventure using human-only races for player characters.
>>
>>53469754
Yeah, but any DM can do that without a hitch. It takes, like, no effort whatsoever to just come up with different feuding human clans and making all the political backdrop revolve around their loving, feuding, trading and scheming. That's *easy*.

Coming up with properly fantastical races with an Oriental feel? That's *hard*. That's why I'm asking other anons for their thoughts.
>>
>>53469708
I'm gonna say to just steal from Kamigawa here. Small Kappa, sage moon-rabbit folk, kitsune, oni, and humans should give you a pretty good selection.
>>
Kitsune: These are, like, *the* most iconic oriental fantasy race of them all, and if Pathfinder can do it, surely D&D can do it.

Tanuki: These guys actually have a mythological rivalry with kitsunes sort of similar to the famous elf/dwarf rivalry, so there's definitely that element for bringing them over. Plus, in Japan, these guys are about as famous as kitsunes, and we have had "Raccoon Dog Hengeyokai" in 1st, 3rd and 4th edition...

Kappa: These are, like, the holy trinity of yokai in Japan - everybody knows and loves kappa. They're a strength-focused small race that lives along rivers, streams and lakes; that's actually pretty unique. These guys could work as a sort of aquatic dwarf with goblin mischievousness.

Oni: Yeah, they're most famous for being bad guys, but these are literally the orcs of Japan - and like orcs, there are actually lots of stories where they're either redeemed or not even that bad to begin with. You telling me you couldn't get an RPG hook out of "you were sent up from Hell to catch a monster/evil spirit that escaped, and you need to buddy up with these mortals so you've actually got the strength to drag its sorry ass back to Hell"?

Jorogumo: Yeah, I know, these gals are always portryed as bad guys in the stories, but D&D has a long tradition of offering bad guy races - orcs, goblinoids, gnolls, ogres... hell, we got freaking Yuan-ti purebloods in Volo's Guide, and they're supposed to be emotionless world-conquering cannibalistic sociopaths. Surely D&D can reskin Jorogumo into a femme fatale "edgy" PC race, alongside the tiefling and shadar-kai?

Vanara: Yeah, I know Pathfinder has them, but D&D actually did them first (Oriental Adventures 3e), and they are one of the most recognizable heroic fantasy races in Indian mythology.
>>
why not just use normal d&d races in an eastern setting?

fucking weeb
>>
>>53470105
For the same reason you are REEEing about blacks in medieval Europe.
>>
>>53470268
>tfw always play a black guy in d&d
>3/5 players are /pol/cucks who get visibly flustered
feelsgoodman
>>
>>53469708
>Hengeyokai (a clumsy shoehorning of various animal shapeshifters into a single race).

But thats how Japanese folklore works, there were like half a dozen fucking shape shifting animal trickster races including Mice, Badgers, tanuki, kitsune etc

Though they should be called Bakemono, which is the actual term for such spirits in folklore. Obake Bakemono
>>
>>53471182
Extrapolating from this, your blanket races should be Bakemono (any shape shifting animal people), Oni, Human, Tsukogami (any tool or object that last 100 years gains sentience and the ability to shape shift, like Bakemono but for objects, and/or japanese warforged), and Tengu
>>
>>53471182
True, there's lots of different bakemono, but usually they have distinct abilities beyond that. Aside from the fact both are shapeshifting animals, there's not really that much in common between a tanuki and a kitsune, is there?
>>
>>53469821
That's funny, because warring human clans are actually interesting and worth your time.
Sometimes the simpler option is better.
>>
>>53471320
>>Human Only
>>Interesting
No. Fuck off with your human-only campaigns; if I wanted (pseudo)historical fantasy, I'd ask for it. Piss off back to the HFY threads where you belong.
>>
>>53469708
I'd fondle her balls, if you know what I mean....
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.