[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition D&D General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 460
Thread images: 17

File: Electric Light Orchestra.jpg (691KB, 810x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Electric Light Orchestra.jpg
691KB, 810x1200px
D&D 5th Edition General Discussion

>Download Unearthed Arcana: Revised Subclasses:
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-RevisedSubclasses.pdf

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
https://mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously, on /5eg/: >>53448027

How do you help make magic feel strange?
>>
Did we really need a new thread
>>
>>53453075
tentacle magic would feel strange lol
>>
>>53453104
Old thread was at bump limit, so we were going to autosage.
>>
>>53453075
Make it so its extremely rare to have a caster in the setting and have the only caster in the game be my dmpc
>>
>>53453110
We normally wait till page 10
>>
>>53453126
>extremely rare
>more casting classes than non casting
>>
>>53453110
Wait till closer to level 10 next time
>>
>>53453144
Heh level, enough booze for tonight and time for bed
>>
>>53453139
>pcs cant play them
>>
File: Rune Magic.pdf (2MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Rune Magic.pdf
2MB, 1x1px
>>53453075
I use this for some NPC casters. At one point the party hired an old psedo-Celtic crone lady to call upon the ancestor spirits and do raw shit to their enemies.

It's also solid as far as feats go, I suppose.
>>
What's an interesting character I can play to spruce up a party of generic humans?
>>
>>53453293
Merfolk.
>>
>>53453320
Huh, could actually be cool and I'd just refluff Triton. Are there any classes they excel at other then Paladin? A Bard or Storm Sorcerer seems like it could be cool.

Maybe a Fighter 1/Bard X for Heavy Armour.
>>
File: Upcomming Battle.png (2MB, 1081x833px) Image search: [Google]
Upcomming Battle.png
2MB, 1081x833px
I need some advice, I have never had or run a big battle before in my campaign and I'm nervous that there might be too many NPCs/creatures/groups in here.

The groups at the top are a group of Cultist that the party is about to fight. They are defending their HQ which is the big enclosed spiral thing, and they want to kill the party.

The groups at the bottom are the party (6 people all around levels 6-8), NPCs, clerics, and knights. They are here to capture/kill the cultist and takeout/capture their leader.

The small purple symbol below the party is a large acid trap set to go off and basically kill the party if they are not careful. (10d10 Acid damage 40 ft. radius.) They have been warned in advance.

I have it so the individual groups of knights, cultist, and clerics have one initiative score, and the NPCs have their own. Any advice as to how to not make this "Another DM plays with themselves episode"?
>>
>>53453335
Why refluff Triton? Merfolk are their own race with their own abilities.
>>
>>53453351
Shit that's right, the Planeshift version.

I'll look it over, thanks anon.
>>
>>53453139
Yeah, that's the point. (You) are special.
>>
>>53453347
I'd suggest pre-rolling initiative for all of the enemies, and using static damage for them as much as possible. Those will be effective ways to streamline running it.
>>
>>53453423
Will do, any tips for how to handle HP? Should the groups have one big HP total or individual HPs for each?
>>
Best options for level 6 Lore Bard?

Besides Counterspell, obviously. Aura of Vitality seems like a solid choice.
>>
So I'm making a tank/melee sorcerer. With these spells and abilities, how do you think I'm going?
Quickened spell MetaMagic and I'm undecided on the 2nd one.

Stone sorcerer gives:
+1HP/sorc lvl
AC = 13+con
gives smite spells & other melee spells as options for a sorcerer

At lvl6 it gives a single resistance buff to allies and a teleport+reaction attack for protecting a single buffed target.

>Longsword + Shield combo for 1d8 and +2 AC. I'm aiming at higher that 17AC so I can tank for the party.
x2 Daggers so I can use smite+booming blade combo or other forms of burst magic/melee.
>Glaive so I can use smites or BB and retreat without provoking Attack of Opp.

For spells I'm thinking:
Cantrips - Booming blade, Firebolt, GreenFB, Mending, Light.
LvL1 - Searing Smite, thunderous Smite
LvL 2 - Blur, Scorching ray
LvL 3 - Haste, Counterspell (I'm considering swapping out haste for fireball and telling the bard to get Haste because currently no-one has fireball)

Any suggestions on improving this build? are there any melee weapons that work better under these situations or any better spell combos to go for?
>>
>>53453479
I'd suggest minions as they're handled in 13th Age. A single healthpool, with individuals killed off for every x amount of damage. So, 12 minions in this bunch with 10 hp each? 120 hp for the group, and for every 12 points of damage the group takes another one dies.
>>
>>53453487
>https://www.reddit.com/r/dndnext/comments/3s8906/all_core_magical_secrets_picks_for_bard/cwuzq4x/

I also add, Armor of Agathys if you want something for melee combat.
>>
>>53453511
Okay! I'll do some math and figure out some good numbers for the groups.
>>
Vampiric Touch
3rd-level necromancy
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Self
Components: V, S
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute
The touch of your shadow-wreathed hand can siphon force from others to heal your wounds. Make a melee spell attack against a creature within your reach. On a hit, the target takes 3d6 necrotic damage, and you regain hit points equal to half the amount of necrotic damage dealt. Until the spell ends, you can make the attack again on each of your turns as an action.

At Higher Levels: When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 4th level or higher, the damage increases by 1d6 for each slot level above 3rd.

Does this imply that once it had hit someone that you can use an action to maintain it and automatically deal the damage again? Or does it just mean that you can do it on the same person again as an action without re-casting the spell?
>>
What would be some useful magical items for my wolf animal companion?
>>
>>53453511
>>53453612
Also with this, how would AOE work would they all have to make separate saves or one mass save? How does damage work for that?
>>
>>53453633

You keep the spell on your hands, so using an action you can melee spell attack someone for vamp touch until you lose it.
>>
I'm a bit confused with the use of sorcerer points being a first time sorc-player.

I can convert a 1st lvl spell slot into 2 SP, a 2nd lvl slot = 3 SP and a 3rd lvl slot = 5 SP right?

And at 5th lvl I have 4 lvl1 slots, 3 lvl2 slots and 2 lvl3 slots.

Does this mean that if I start with 2 lvl3 slots I can convert 4 lvl1 slots into 8SP and convert 3 lvl2 slots into 9SP and convert the 24SP I have into 4 more lvl3 slots with 4SP leftover.
>I think I may be misunderstanding the mechanics of spell slots here because it implied that at lvl5 I can cast 6 fireballs and that set off a few red flags for me.

>>53453684
Thanks for clarifying, as you can see I'm new to spells.
>>
My players wanna do a pvp session.
>waaaah don't do it 5e wasn't made for pvp
k, won't stop us from having fun.

Gonna draw up a small pvp arena.
I either want to throw them into a gladiator like arena with pit traps, spikes, and other hazards to watch out for, or I wanna throw them into an isolated wilderness type area.

Any fun ideas?
>>
What would be some good monsters to place in a dungeon below a temple? The temple was Ilmater's, but cultists in the dungeon worshipped the Queen of Blood. I was thinking 3 levels, first one with a large mess hall with goblins, third level would be undead cultists in the last room. I'm not sure about level 2 or the rest of level 3.
This is for a level 2 solo character with maybe some help from an NPC or two but not necessarily. They're also pursued by their rival (also level 2) seeking to bring them into custody.
The PC will be tasked with retrieving a statuette of the BQ for an employer.
I'll be happy to get any additional advice on the dungeon (traps, loot, layout...) - it's my first time DMing (well, second session). Cheers!
>>
>>53453729
I don't want to think about the math, but I believe there's a deficit somewhere when it comes to converting points to 3rd level slots.
Which is intentional.

So once again, not sure if your math checks out, but yes, sorcerers can do stuff with their sorcery points to give themselves more higher-level slots if that's how they wanna use their points. Hence, flexible-casting.
>>
>>53453750

Add bomb collars on them and hide 3 detonators around the arena where they have to go through traps and pvp each other to get tho them. If all 3 are not disarmed they all blow up.
>>
File: 325.jpg (14KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
325.jpg
14KB, 600x600px
WHY DO MY PLAYERS KEEP CANCELLING! THIS IS THE SECOND TIME WE HAD TO CANCEL A SESSION!
>>
Is Curse of Strahd just a conversion of the old Ravenloft Module, or is it a new adventure in Barovia?
>>
>>53453781
They have plenty of incentive to fight each other, and it's like a "side-session" for fun. No impact on the main campaign, they're just using those characters.
They all are aware it's a "fight to the death" scenario so they'll all be trying equally hard to win. So I don't think the collars are necessary.
I kinda like the idea of bombs though.

Gave me a thought which reminded me of mario party. Could drop a massive bomb on the field at some point that can be rolled about by the other players. Blows up in 3 turns or something.
The explosion could mimic a fireball.
>>
>>53453812
It's both. It consists of the village of Barovia and the castle, but also new areas to the west of the castle including two towns, a ruined temple filled with ancient evils, werewolf dens, a flooded village, a mage's tower, and a vineyard.
>>
>>53453805
Dumb frogposter.
>>
>>53453812
It's a conversion with added countryside and stuff to do.
>>
>>53453729
That's not a 1:1 conversion chart. It's a spell point to spell slot exchange rate. Look one section down. That's how many points you get per spell slot; one per.
>>
>>53453805
I'd never cancel on you, anon <3
Are you playing online? If so, there's your reason.
>>
Thirsting Blade doesn't stack with Extra Attack, right?
>>
>>53453812
Howsabout you read it and see?
>>
>>53453824
>>53453827
Gotcha. So it's like a "Remastered" version of the original?
>>
An arena where you roll on a random table for a square of the play changing, such as the arena flooding with 3 feet of water giving disadvantage to melee fighters in movement and attacks, or have zone(s) turned into antimagic zones where anyspell effect is dispelled immidiatly. Other things like X amount of damage in a zone will activate a summoning circle for a beast that is hostile to everyone.

Think of fun environmental hazards that benefit both ranged attacks and melee attacks such as cover appearing for melee or difficult terrain to ranged.

If there is an odd number of players have one of them pull levers and switches to change the environment and obstacles of the arena as the other 2 fight.
>>
File: how_to_shitpost.jpg (45KB, 657x527px) Image search: [Google]
how_to_shitpost.jpg
45KB, 657x527px
>>53453825
>>
>>53453836
Nope.
>>
>>53453835
No we play in person. I sent out a text but nobody has responded and now it's too late too start a session.
>>
>>53453821

Every 3 turns the wheel of fate spins.

>Antimagic field appears lasting for 1 round
>Fill the arena with water lasting for 1 round
>Drop bombs everywhere (random locations)
>Cast summon vrock that lasts 2 rounds

Possibilities are endless
>>
>>53453864

Out of curiousity what are you running
>>
>>53453864
You were scheduled to play today and no one showed up or seems to have acknowledged that fact?
Fuck em.

They probably don't want to really play then. That's tough. But it happens. Alternatively, something came up. Doubtful that'd be the case for the entire group, though.
Just ask them honestly if they're interested in continuing the game. if not, don't waste your energy worrying about them. As a forever DM that WISHES he could be a player, they don't know what they're missing out on when someone wants to run a game for you. Unless you're a shit DM. You're not a shit DM, right?
>>
>>53453879
I'm just doing a homebrew campaign.
>>53453894
They all knew we were supposed to play today. I'm just sad now
>>
>>53453870
Yeah, I like it. I just kinda want to have a theme of some sort.

One idea was a snowy landscape. Sleet/hail storms, frozen lake that you could trip on if you don't cross carefully.
>a pit with an angry frost worm
>>
>>53453838
>Why would you ask for a summary of something rather than going and getting it and reading it yourself to see what it is!?
Is this a serious question?

There's a lot of stuff to read in the world, I can't possibly read it all. I find/ask for summaries of things that seem potentially interesting to determine if I want to invest the time to read it in full.

This question was to inform me of roughly what the book entails so I can decide whether or not to read it.

Having played the original, I'm going to pass on it unless I feel like redoing it.

If it was a completely new Barovian adventure I might have picked it up, but as is I'll probably grab SKT instead.
>>
>>53453918
Well, like I said, if you're a half-decent DM that's running a homebrew game they're just assholes.
Are they friends of yours or people you met specifically for running a game?

Regardless, just tell them honestly:
>hey guys I put a lot of work into preparing to DM each of our sessions. I know sometimes things come up, but if we're scheduled to play it would really mean a lot to me if you could give me advanced notice. If you aren't interested in playing the game anymore, that's fine too, but I'd appreciate the honesty so I don't feel like I'm wasting my time.
>>
>>53453972
They all say they like me as a DM so I don't think that's the problem. I'm playing with my friends and one of my roommates but he was supposed to be home from work like 4 hours ago and the other three I haven't heard from.
>>
>>53453926
Yeah, fuck that guy. I didn't get through that many games of it myself but it seems pretty spooky and I liked what parts of it I experienced.
Unfortunately I don't think I'll get someone dedicated to running it for me. So I'll probably just end up watching perkins DM it. You might find watching some of his games where they play helpful for seeing how it is.

I've heard great things about SKT though, and have read through the first few parts of it myself. Seems like more groups would enjoy SKT than Stradd imo.

Also, a popular opinion I've heard around these parts is that if you run CoS, you need to buff Stradd because he often drops like a pussy so the fight is pretty anticlimactic.
>>
>>53454005
It's also quite possible they just forgot. It happens as well.
Ask em what's up?
You said it has happened before. In the same manner? Or did they actually cancel properly before?
Regardless, just ask them and let them know to cancel properly so you can know whether or not you're gonna have your evenings free. That's what irks me when it comes to any kind of cancellation. Just give the person enough time to change plans.
>>
I spent half an hour formatting four Psionic Disciplines and two Psionic Talents on a Google doc file. The app I used to convert the PDF to a doc was absolutely atrocious with its formatting. If I had the drive I might be able to force myself to do the entire list of Disciplines and Talents but fuck me. This list looks damn nice though. Can't wait to play my Mystic. Using Nomadic Arrow, Nomadic Step, Psionic Restoration, and Telepathic Contact. I wish I could also get Psionic Phantoms but I'm starting at 3rd level so oh well. My character is gonna wear a full robe, boots, and gloves, along with a mask, and she'll only speak telepathically so the party will basically know nothing about who is under there. This is gonna be fun, I hope they find some fun roleplay ideas for interacting with my character. I'm pumped.
>>
>>53454116
Oh and Talents are Mind Meld and Delusion. Also I won't use Occluded Mind for anything insane, I know how broken the wording makes it. Don't wanna be that guy. I really just want everyone to have a fun time.
>>
>>53453504
Forget about using spells that require a spell attack roll.

Yiz are the one that should be twinning haste, using shield/absorb elements and generally use spells that require no attack rolls or saves.
>>
I'm considering making a Sealock Movement Master, however if I do I only "need" to go Warlock 5/SeaSorc 1 or Warlock 3/Sea Sorc 1 if I took Thorn whip or Warlock 2/Sea Sorc 1 if I took Lightning Lure.

What are some other control-oriented things I could do with other levels? Make a standard Fighter 2/Warlock 2/Sorcerer? Warlock 5/Sorcerer1/Paladin X?
>>
>>53454116
Why not just copypaste from 5etools?
>>
File: 1494205766810.jpg (846KB, 2508x3541px) Image search: [Google]
1494205766810.jpg
846KB, 2508x3541px
>just finished a one-shot our DM made since some players were missing
>he told us it was a horror one-shot and to make level 1 villagers who were "mundane"
>spice it up by being the main priest of the town, outwardly a very nice guy who visits everyone and knows everyone
>actually an evil person who is a sadist and performs sacrilege and heresy behind closed doors in pursuit of immortality
>am favored soul sorcerer, pick only cleric spells
>everyone in the party thinks I'm an actual cleric
>one other player also plays a cleric of the same temple, Judge Dredd of the church
>super into omens and shit, DM keeps throwing bad omens at her the entire game
>think it wasn't even on purpose, just coincidence on his part to make the game mood-fitting
>she thinks the omens are meant for her, saying she wasn't worthy to be a cleric and she is evil
>entire time my character was acting as a kind leader, leading, healing everyone and taking point
>grabbed a bunch of books and important evil ritual implements under the guise of needing to "make it never see the light of day"
>translation, "I'm gonna study the fuck outta this"
>moving on, wake up in the basement of a half-flesh body horror scenario as we solve puzzles and kill flesh monsters to get to the surface
>get to the barn, open door and see giant heart demon being summoned from some sort of flesh hell
>we kill it after a long battle, other player's cleric begins sobbing, calling herself unclean
>tries to cast sacred flame on herself to suicide in her gods name
>DM says divine intervention kicks in, she is spared and feels nothing but his kindness, gives up trying to commit sudoku and accepts this sign
>epilogue is everyone finding out my character's house is on fire the same night we survive
>I reveal OOC that my character now having the correct ritual books and methods can now go on and recreate the ritual and expand off of it in experiments
>everyone is fucking speechless
>mfw

Is this how you play neutral evil?
>>
>>53454231
Probably because I'm an idiot and didn't know that I could. I gave up looking far too quickly it seems. Ah well. Good learning experience.
>>
>>53454241
ya did good kiddo
>>
Hmm should my assassin
Pick
Expertise stealth and deception or stealth and thieves tools
>>
>>53454340

Deception and stealth are usually contested rolls while thieves tools will always be at a set DC. Having higher contest rolls is much better in the long run.
>>
Let's say a player wants to basically make molotov cocktails by bundling together a flask of alchemist's fire and a flask of oil and tossing the bundle at someone. Would you allow it? How would you handle damage - just stack the effects of both?

Related question: How would you handle multiple flasks of oil / alchemist's fires on one target?
>>
>>53454454
Basically just retooling bonfire at that point, and as far as I know that shit doesn't stack.
>>
>>53454340
I'd go Stealth and Deception at 1 and then pick up Thieves' Tools and Perception at level.. 6? I think it's 6 you get the second lot.

That's the most effective way, not always the funnest though. I'm a fan of taking Athletics and/or Sleight of Hand expertise for fun.
>>
What are the best combat classes in 5e?
>>
Best race for a Thief? Funnest race for one?

Aside from V. Human of course.
>>
>>53454501

No Athletics is correct because if you want to stop getting shoved or if you want to climb things like a rogue you need it.
>>
>>53454534
So many people don't appreciate the roguish talents of climbing anymore, in a lot of fights it can be the best defensive option to climb up somewhere with a crossbow.
>>
>>53454454
flask of oil gives 5fire dmg per instance of fire damage received and alchemist fire causes 1d4 fire damage per turn until the person does a DC10 dex check to pat out the flames.
Provided the characters are above 4th level this kind of damage is obsolete. If they're below then allow it but make it either a tinker or alchemy check to successfully create one. The DC could be 11 or 12, and lowered every time they successfully create one. If they roll a nat 1 or 2 then the materials are broken and they sustain 1d4+5 fire damage until they pat out the flames.

It will be about 50.1 gold to create a single molotov if I remember correctly. 50 for AF and 1 silver for oil. If they can spend that kind of gold at 4th level let them do it. But state that you can't stack more than 1 molotov damage on a single creature and if it misses then the tile that it impacts will deal 1d4+5 fire damage for 1min before extinguishing.

And the oil cannot deal more than 5 fire damage to a single target per turn even if they receive more than 1 instance of fire damage.

It seems like an alright option to have if the players want to burn gold on it, and if they're smart enough to have someone use the help action when they make it I'm sure they would appreciate the advantage.
>>
>>53454219
Go fey for that ua invocation that slows. Thorn whip gust the ice cantrip that slows
Cast grease and push and pull people through it
With some set up time you can use mold earth to dig pit traps and push or pull people in
Team up with the druid and push/pull people through a spike growth
Team up with someone w/ pam to push them out of their reach so they have to move in and proc a reaction attack later
>>
>>53454241
Is the GM going to base his next one-shot off of that one? It's actually pretty good source material where the previous PC's can be guildmasters or questgiver npc's and the new PC's will be trying to stop your evil cleric from doing the ritual. Bonus points if a few of the old PC's accompany your group and die trying to help.
>>
>>53454529
>Best
Probably Halfling

>Funnest
The largest race your DM allows.
>>
>>53453075
So, I'm pondering a "Dragoon" fighter (as a DM, for a Final Fantasy inspired campaign). Anyways; I've been looking at the various homebrews, and realized that I mostly don't like them. Also, that they tend to be too one-note.

Here's what I'm thinking instead, tell me what you think:

Battlemaster Maneuver:
Leap: Spend a Superiority Die when using the Dash action to ignore any difficult terrain, and any obstacles that one could fly over; as you leap there. If you have the "Charger" feat, you add your superiority die to the damage roll of the attack made at the end of the dash.

Is that reasonable?
>>
>>53454640

go look up a DMG for Dragon Shaman
>>
>>53454529
Bugbears are always the funnet race for Rogues, also one of the better ones.

It's amazingly flavorful to play a serious character who's actually meant to be silent as a ghost and is huge. Playing one makes moments where you suddenly appear behind someone all the more impressive while not being comedic.

>>53454640
I'd honestly recommend a Barbarian for a Dragoon, just buff the Tiger totem's level 3 and change some fluff abilities.
>>
>>53454683

Kenku Warlock/Rogue

Mask of many faces + devil's sight
>>
>>53453075
Has anyone run a campaign with an Artificer? I'm curious as to their effectiveness and if the player had a good time playing one.
>>
>>53454640
Eagle totem.
>>
>>53454621
There's a good chance he'll incorporate it into our main campaign. I wouldn't be surprised if my cleric became a mid-boss or even BBEG.
>>
>>53454712
I played one, they're alright. Not a bad class at all but still need some tweaking.

Personally I think keep it just as is with a few changes. Remove the bonus action reload from Gunsmith, remove Mechanical Servant and put in some combat ability, make them a Half-Caster and let them recover Magic Items they've lost over a short rest.

It's mostly little issues and the fact it has no reason not to be an Arcane Half-Caster.
>>
>>53454605
Actually after looking at the options I might go GOOlock5/Sea1/Primeval Guardian X, refluffed as a horrible squid beast. Create THE ZONE OF FUCK YOU and move enemies around the map at my liesure.
>>
>>53454671
Not a good fit. It's not a dragon mage, it's a heavily armored frontliner with a leap ability and Spears.

>>53454683
>>53454718
I'll check out the totem barbarians, I hadn't considered that.

If that falls through/doesn't match up well, though, does the maneuver seem reasonable?
>>
>>53454755
...and I'm a retard and forgot Ranger is a WIS caster, not CHA. Lore Bard and stealing Spike Growth mite b cool.
>>
What was horribly wrong with berserkers again? A friend of mine is playing one and I want to be able to at least fix whatever problems it has before he gets fucked playing it.
>>
has anyone ever ran an underwater campaign? or spent a couple sessions underwater?

what are some plot hooks and what could be some reasons non-aquatic adventures would get involved under the sea/the plane of water?
>>
>>53454787
Frenzy Barbs? Frenzied attack gives you exhaustion so the price is extremely steep for its payoff. Bear-bearians are hugely powerful compared to them.
>>
>>53454787
Let him recover Exhaustion on a short rest and let the level 10 key off Strength not Charisma, that basically fixes the issues and makes it decent.
>>
>>53454767
I don't see myself ever using it. If I wanted to jump into far enemies like that, I'd play a monk.
>>
>>53454767

Uh... there's a literal dragoon subclass.
>>
>>53454598
My main worry about doing it like that was that for 1 sp they could basically triple an alchemist's fire's damage. I guess you're right that even with that benefit it would rarely be worthwhile, though.
>>
>>53454745
Yeah I'm reading over it now and its puzzling that they aren't half casters, along with Gunsmith basically being another form of ranger that does thunder-damage. Matt mercer's Gunslinger is way better thought out than this.
>>
>>53454807
I'm more tired than I thought, I hadn't scrolled down to the actual frenzying part.

>>53454810
Perfect, I was thinking of making it a short rest to encourage using their stuff more with everyone else.
>>
>>53454849
If feel like they were going for a "Not really magical, ust crafts magic" vibe. It doesn't really work in this edition though and means they get cut off from a lot of Artificer-y spells.

Personally I'd make Gunslinger just get proficiency with Firearms in the DMG and access to spells like Lightning Arrow for guns with their AoE and pseudo-sneak attack.

Actually half-caster with subclasses getting more spells added on their spell list could work. Alchemist could get some more control spells and fireball of course while Gunsmith could get shit like Lightning Arrow and Elemental Weapon.

I feel like it should will the half-arcane caster people want which means it needs combat abilities like Rangers and Paladins get.
>>
>>53454712
>>53454745
>>53454849
For me looking over Artificer and it feels like itsthere.jpg. I look at Alchemist and I find it a bit silly that they only have seven formulas.
>>
>>53454816
An official one? I don't think I've seen that. Seen a ton of Homebrew ones though. Most of them were pretty underwhelming.

>>53454811
Monk can't jump into far enemies in heavy armor or use a polearm though.
>>
>>53454927

In the DMG Dragon Shaman there is 4 subclasses, you can take a look. Everything in there is underwhelming save for dragoon.
>>
>>53454924
Personally I'd let them take all of them instead of missing out on one, and maybe add a feat that lets them lob vials further, possibly look at upgrading the CR of their mechanical pet higher up as well. CR 2 gets outclassed pretty hard but is a huge power-spike at level 6.
>>
>>53454745
Make robot buddy its own subclass.
>>
Post houserules.

>Barbarian: Berserkers recover one level of exhaustion when they complete a short rest.
>Monk: Darts are considered Monk weapons and use their Martial Arts die when making ranged attacks.
>Warlock: Start with one spell slot and gain an additional slot at levels 2, 5, 10, and 15, for a total of 5 slots.
>Also Warlock: Bladelocks gain +2 AC if they wield a one-handed pact weapon and an arcane focus at the same time.
>>
>>53454924
>>53454903
It definately needs some tweeking, the alchemical "cantrips" are complete and utter balls against anything dangerous. The fact that saves negate all damage, limited elemental damage types really hurts badly when your options are single target acid, or multi-fire(when fire is the most commonly resisted/immune) coupled with a spell list that is nearly all utility.

I'd give them alchemical formula for all the major elements, fire, ice, lightning, acid and lets say something like poison. To help shore up those weaknesses of being fucked by resist/immune creatures.
>>
>>53454924
The Alchemist gets Thunderstone though, at-will 10ft. pushback and prone is pretty good if you have a melee party who knows how to avoid being caught in friendly AoE's.
>>
>>53455056
I agree they should have probably at least one more damage type, maybe even just Piercing as a bomb or something mundane.

Of the top of my head though I can't think of anything resistant to Fire and Acid that isn't resistant to 90% of damage anyway. The chances at most levels of having nothing to do in the combat is unlikely.

I would throw on a "Saves do half damage" and "+INT to damage" at levels at 3 and maybe 9-14 though.
>>
I wanna run a Xenomorph encounter. How do I do it?
>>
>>53455142
Pretty much my thoughts exactly, give them an added ability at say level 8-10 or something that allows you to bypass immunity for half-damage on hit, and then if they do have resistance on hit they take full, on miss they take half or something, but that could prove too strong.

Either way I'd be willing to do some house-ruling on buffing their damage. Alchemists are weak as hell compared to other features.

Looking at the Gunsmith path again, I'd give them weapon proficiencys and an option to upgrade the gun itself to a +1,+2 so on so forth at some point. Still don't know how to feel about the bonus reload, maybe axe that as well so they can actually use spells instead of gunfire 24/7.
>>
>>53455142
A bomb should be like Fire / Piercing / Crush.
>>
Dm is good but doesn't understand how sneak attack procs. Regardless if I have an ally within combat of my target, if the target attacked me I can't get sneak attack. He's stubborn so I don't complain. Now I always use my bonus to hide. I took sharpshooter so now when I attack from hiding I always get advantage. I think he fucked himself.
>>
What's the best class to play in a party that has 4 melee martials?
>>
>>53455034

> Halfling Barbarian: So long as you are under the effects of a Barbarian Rage, you can use weapons with the Heavy property without suffering from Disadvantage.

> Tibit: Subrace for Halflings. Gain Darkvision out to 60 ft., and 1/long rest can use an Action to turn into a house cat with normal cat stats, carry over your mental stats, and get HD equal to your character's level.

Other than that, I've got some homebrew archetypes, classes, and races running around for the PCs to potentially bump into and "unlock" as future playable options should their current characters die or leave the group for whatever reason.

I've also let them use some UA stuff (currently, the group has a Phoenix Sorcerer and a Glamour Bard for UA-specific stuff).
>>
>>53455258
Just pray he doesn't check the rules that say
>the DM determines if conditions are suitable for hiding

But if he won't take two seconds to read the sentence in the rogue class that confirms how sneak attack works, he probably won't.
>>
>>53455331
Probably a support Bard, picking up Healing Word and Cure Wounds and using a shortbow (or longbow if you pick Elf) from afar.
>>
>>53455258
>I took sharpshooter so now when I attack from hiding I always get advantage. I think he fucked himself.
Why did you need Sharpshooter for this? It's not really that good on Rogues.

Plus Rogues are basically built around the fact they should have advantage like 60% of the time. The best option unless you're a Swashbuckler or AT is to have a bow and hide behind a tree or crate.
>>
>>53455353
I'm playing thief. I'm throwing daggers they're 20/60 on range so it's shit. When I have advantage I call for the -5 to hit +10 damage. I usually get hit with it.
>>
>>53455351
I was actually thinking about a Valor Bard with a Longbow who was a sorta generic Norse guy. Charging into fights and writing stories about our adventures.

Are there any notable buff spells that can affect the whole party? Heroism looks interesting but doesn't seem to scale well.
>>
>>53455344
I can only hide if there's something obscuring vision ie bushes or partial cover. He'll never check for that rule lol.
>>
>>53455341
Homebrew archetypes and feats count too. Here's one.

Feat: Minor Pact
Prerequisite: Cha 13
You've made a pact with a minor fiend, fey, old one, or similar being.
-Increase charisma by 1, to a maximum of 20.
-Gain a warlock invocation that you meet the prerequisites for, including warlock level.
-At the DM's discretion, your patron may contact you do deliver cryptic information or demand a boon.

Designed to either give warlocks more toys or let other characters pick up a low-level invocation, with a built-in plot hook for the DM to use or ignore as they see fit.
>>
>>53455365
>I'm throwing daggers they're 20/60 on range so it's shit.
But why tho? Plus you can't even use Daggers with Sharpshooter's last benefit.

It requires a Ranged Weapon.

Throwing weapons are Melee Weapons that can make Ranged Weapon Attacks.
>>
>>53453075
Man I'm having a hard time deciding on what to play for an upcoming campaign I'm going to play.

Its either Tempest Cleric, or a Hexblade. Both seem appealing for different reasons, I adore gishes but I can really see tearing some ass up with the Cleric as well.
>>
>>53455407
Tempest Cleric, lightning powers are cool.
>>
>>53453644
Just do one mass save, the damage off an AoE is likely to take down multiples anyway.
>>
>>53455384
Not him, but if his DM doesn't let him sneak attack when he's supposed to then let him have this.
>>
>>53455407
I'd say cleric - the fightier domains make you a gish anyways.

It's too bad the Hexblade patron is basically necessary to make Bladelocks worth a damn. I've been trying to make a fey bladelock since the edition was released but aside from getting access to blink they're mostly garbage.
>>
>>53455384
"Before you make an attack with a ranged weapon you're proficent with."
On pg.147 of the phb for range it says "a weapon that can be used to make a range attack has a range shown in parentheses."
If there are forced house rules for sneak attack why wouldn't I go the route I did with my character?
>>
>>53455384
Under thrown it says "you can throw the weapon to make a ranged attack." Sorry for all the text.
>>
>>53454957
where is this dragon shaman in the DMG?
>>
>>53455407
Same, I'm really stuck.
We're gonna be traveling on a boat a lot, so I want something that fits the theme.

Been thinking monk fisherman for a while. Dunno.
Storm sorc would be fun but there's already 2 cha based casters in the group.

If it helps, here's the current set up:
>bladelock
>lore bard
>alchemist artificer
>ancestors barbarian

Bard is gonna be a captain of the ship that we're traveling on. The barbarian is his right hand, he's a far traveler from notJapan bc the guy that plays him is a weeb.
>>
>>53455369
A lot of the "good/better" buff spells are Haste and Fly. But also keep in mind you get stuff like Hold Person.

Faerie Fire is also subtle but really, really strong if they fail the save. Up to a minute of granting every attack on the afflicted target Advantage is strong.

Personally, I recommend Lore Bard simply because you get an extra Magical Secrets at 6th level, letting you nab potentially strong spells like Counterspell, Fireball, or Lightning Bolt to go along with your support options.
>>
>>53455437
True, if your DM's a dick who can't be bothered to learn the rules and nerfs you without checking then I guess you might as well get revenge on him.

>>53455444
The Moonbow's alright though, at least you can use DEX and be safe with it.

>>53455450
>>53455461
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2017/04/09/does-sharpshooter-feat-should-work-with-daggers/

RAW and RAI you're not meant to, Ranged Weapons are specifically stuff under Ranged Weapons on the weapon table. Throwing Weapons make a Ranged Attack with a Melee Weapons, so the first to parts of the feat work because it only says "ranged weapon attack" but the third part doesn't because it says "attack with a ranged weapon".
>>
File: Homebrew - Dragon Shaman.pdf (1MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Homebrew - Dragon Shaman.pdf
1MB, 1x1px
>>53455467
>>
File: cervantes2.jpg (53KB, 621x357px) Image search: [Google]
cervantes2.jpg
53KB, 621x357px
I've come up with possibly the most retarded class layout possible. But WILL IT WORK???

>Any +2 CHA race

>GOOlock 5 (Book+Shillelagh, Repelling and Pulling blasts)
>Sea Sorc 3 (Metamagics in case I need to blast a nigga with Fighty Sorlock SUPER EB, also BoomBlade for even more "lmao movement control"
>Swashbuckler 3 (Free Mobile, CHA to Initiative, they're a pirate of course they're gonna take this)
>Eldritch Knight X

SeaGOO pull/push shenanigans with short rest level 3 slots, EK/Fighter mainly for the extra ASIs as it'll need it probably.
>>
>>53455495
What a fucking abomination.
>>
>>53455495
Please, the most retarded character layout possible is Warlock 20.
>>
>>53455485
is dis nigga serious
>>
>>53455502
5e has done Warlock a great disservice. Their later invocations should be fucking god-like for the prices they have to pay.
>>
>>53455514
The whole class is a mess. Needs to be reworked from the ground up.
They need a big fix to change them from turrets that sometimes cast spells and have shit-to-okay at-will abilities.
>>
Should we be reposting A Thousand Tiny Deaths each thread until it's added to the trove?

Also, I'm hearing that the DDIA06 Sunless Citadel Introductory Adventure isn't quite the same as the adventure in the Hardcover. Can anyone confirm that, or better yet, provide the elusive pdf?
>>
>>53455514
I hate the class in fluff, mechanics and the fact it really didn't need to be it's own core class. It should've been INT based at least.

Even though I hate the thing with a passionm I agree they fucked Warlocks over hard.

I mean fuck, throw some Invocations with at-will damage and control spells. Give them an extra slot at 5 or something as well. If it's gotta be in the book they might as well make it decent. The whole thing's just bland and only kinda effective as is.
>>
>>53455484
>>53455484
oh wow looking that over it makes sense. I guess though me reading that RAI is not nearly as bad as making up a new rule for sneak attack. Plus daggers are 1d4. I guess I could find a 1d8+1 bow
>>
>>53455525
I get why they played with the kid-gloves when making them considering short-rests=murder-mode with their spells. But jesus did they fuck up with their power distribution. You get so fucking much for the typical 2 dip.

Their spell-slots/options could use a good 30% increase or something to help mitigate the EB-turret problem. Its why I only play Hexblade Warlocks these days, at least I feel like the spellslots are semi-balanced when you do that.
>>
>>53455525

I'd say just play a Mystic instead. Similar concept in terms of mechanics, way better application.
>>
How do I play a Lizardfolk Cleric of Kossuth?
>>
>>53453843
It's written by Chris Perkins the Principal Story Lead at Wizards, with a foreword from Tracy Hickman.
>>
Quick question. When it comes to enemy mages casting spells on players, do I tell them which spell is being cast on them if or do I just give them details on what the spell looks like?

e.g. "the enemy wizard casts eldritch blast on you" or "A crackling beam of energy streaks towards you"

Also, is it generally considered an asshole thing to do to not say which spell an enemy is casting?
>>
>>53454241
Yeah, take this to thathappened reddit you insufferable cunt.
>>
>>53455772
Don't say, but spell using players should pick up on stuff. If you say a cloud of mist envelops the man and he pops out of another one 30ft. down the hall and then throws a bolt of pure flame at the Paladin, any player who's read the spells will think "Misty Step" and "Firebolt".

If a player asks and it's a spell of a level he can cast then I'd probably tell him, or anyone could try with an Arcana check.

Just try to avoid meta knowledge language unless players ask you for it. Don't say he "Shoves" you, say he "Brings up his leg and darts it forward towards your stomach with force, make an Athletics check please"..
>>
>>53453805
>only the second
oh you sweet summer child
>>
What're people's opinions on all of the released adventure modules to date?
>>
Is a Changeling Assassin a good idea?
>>
>>53455990
Why wouldn't it be?
>>
>>53455942
HotDQ is bad
RoT is a bit better, but not much
OotA seems a lot better from what I've played so far
>>
>>53456001
Something about playing one seems weird, like they should be solely an NPC race. I think it's just because I've never seen anything like a Changeling as a protagonist anywhere.

>>53455942
LMoP is good enough to go into a book of remade adventures somewhere down the line. It's amazing for running with new groups because it covers all the basic tropes while also introducing new things.
>>
>>53455819
Awesome, exactly the answer I was looking for, thanks.
>>
What elemental evil spells would be useful for Rise of Tiamat, druid spells more specifically
>>
>>53456188
Watery sphere and erupting earth are always decent
>>
I'd like to play a "melee druid" type of thing, how would I do so in 5e?

I'm not interested in shapeshifting, but I want to be tough and able to mix it up in melee and it be worth while doing so. I'd like to smite my enemies with thunder and lightning and the power of nature and my big axe.

What would achieve this in 5e?
>>
>>53456309
Nature cleric would probably be the way to go. Or druid 1 fighter 19
>>
>>53456309
Go moon druid and suck it up with transforming because anything else would be idiotic.
>>
>>53456309
Refluff!
Ancients paladin, ask to deal lightning damage with smite, no DM worth their salt will say no to downgrading your damage type, as long as you don't abuse it with storm sorcerer
>>
Would monk 5 and cleric for the rest of the levels work? Or do clerics and monks have too many clashing bonus actions?
>>
>>53453516
>Doesn't Mention Bigby's Hand

I'm already skeptical
>>
>>53456309
Ask for an Eldritch Knight except Druid, don't even need to really change the abilities.

Weapon Bond you pulling the weapons straight out of the ground or a tree.

Arcane Charge's you melding into the earth and popping out.

The rest of it doesn't even need refluffing.
>>
Which class would allow one to recreate Dr. Doom's abilities most completely?
>>
>>53456390
>>53456530
Some good ideas, I am always wary of refluffing as what is trivial to one GM is "zomg broken" to another.

There is no "I smite you with my hammer and thunder & lightning!" type class I guess?
>>
>>53456652
Well, Ranger would pretty much do it. You get stuff like Ensnaring Strike, Lightning Arrow and etc. but it works better at Range.

Tempest and Nature Cleric are both options, so is Ancients Paladin.

Personally I'd go Forge Cleric and V.Human. Pick up Shillelagh with Magic Initiate: Druid and be a pure Wisdom heavy hitter.

You get Fire spells which are very strongly a Druid thing.
>>
File: 1487124753198.jpg (47KB, 321x344px) Image search: [Google]
1487124753198.jpg
47KB, 321x344px
>>53456609
>2nd best everything in the marvel universe

All the classes taken to 19th level.
>>
>>53456652
Tempest Cleric is almost exactly what you're looking for sans a little of the more earthy nature flavor.
>>
>>53456652
That is literally a Tempest Cleric's whole shtick

They even get heavy armor and shit

(there is also a magic hammer that does this in the DMG)
>>
>spanish players are always "this must be so because i want it like this" even if they arent fucking DMs
>english players are too closed on their own native group to consider roll20 applies from
>a spanish player like me
While this is not neccesarily 5e exclusive, its true its the module i play with the most. What can I do to overcome this shit?

>inb4 "its not racism anon keep trying"
>inb4 "dm your own game retard"
>>
>>53456609
He's a mish mash of various different paladin features

You got the Conquest Paladin's oath, the Crown Paladin's demeanor, the oath breaker paladin's spells (with Animate Dead refluffed into Summon Doombots), the devotion paladin's immunity to charm

With a dab of Magic Initiate for acess to Lightning Lure, Fire Bolt and Shield
>>
>>53456784
>>53456712
Yeah, that was essentially the problem I was running into. That's why I want to try to narrow it down to a single class that has more of his abilities than any other singular class.
>>
>>53456825
Oath of Conquest Paladin, or Valor Bard
>>
>>53456836
On a second thought, Oath of Conquest is more of a fear based thing

Definitely Eldritch Knight with Ritual Caster Wizard, for the absurd shields and ability to "pull off" some higher magics, and the power blasts, or Valor Bard for the "good at everythingness"

If you're making a villain, a Lore Bard with Shield, Lightning Bolt, and a Dragon Mask that adds CHA to AC is probably also a pretty strong attempt
>>
hows a dex based valor bard?
>>
>>53456887
Gunsmith Artificer also gets an honorable mention

>Medium Armor
>All that survivability magic
>Doombot included
>Wealth of Boomsticks
>High inteligence and Tinkering Checks
>Magic Initiate and Ritual Caster Wizard for added utility

But an Artificer depends a lot on DM cooperation. At my table at least they are always half casters
>>
Best/favorite battle master maneuvers?
>>
>>53456920
On my case i played a gs like an inventor&sniper; he'd blast his enemies faces in one single shot just to see if it provided the desired result.

boy was it succesful
>>
>>53453765
Guise pls
>>
>>53456900
Better than str
>>
>>53456731
>>53456739
Wew, I must be blind. I guess I was trying to avoid heavy armor so didn't think on cleric.
>>
>>53456987
This man has never played a Brawlbard.
>>
Got a question for you guys. Playing a game where we started out at 3rd level. I went with Assassin Rogue and now at 5th. I was thinking of multiclassing into fighter. Would Battle Master be a good option or would be going Champion to crit-farm be a better idea?
>>
>>53456745
cry more
>>
>>53457242
depends on how deep you want to go into fighter.

For just a dip, champion
>>
>>53456745
>What can I do to overcome something I have no control over unless I run the game myself
lol
>>
>>53456745
Play with french people.

Besides bitching endlessly about mispronounced french words, we're pretty swell.

...With a slight tendency to shoot first and ask questions never.
>>
>>53457377
>the French are pretty swell
The only people who have ever had this thought so much as flicker in their minds, are the French themselves.
>>
>>53457434
This desu.
>>
So how are we on Titans in 5e? I have so far only managed to count 4 of them
>>
Is it worth getting divine favour on a monk via magic initiate, or am I just better off getting Hex?
>>
>>53457434
based
>>
>>53457434
I am French, I will give that to you.

But my GM is english and we go along swimmingly. Despite the whole shooting his boss characters in the face thing.
>>
>>53457377
I hope you guys never surrender to every single encounter.
>>
>>53457482
Honestly Hex is better in every single way. Which is sad.

Make sure to give them Disadvantage on Strength Checks so they're easy to grapple and prone.
>>
If you're proficient with a weapon you add your proficiency bonus to the attack roll but not the damage roll, right?

And everyone is proficient with unarmed, so it's hit roll + str mod + prof?
>>
>>53457583
>Not using wisdom so their passive perception is worse than a goblin's
>not using charisma so you can interrogate them and kill their deception

No I agree, strength is the one you go for.
>>
>>53457632
Hex is a wonderful spell for in and out of combat honestly. Adds good utility and a combat boost with Magic Initiate.
>>
>>53453126
>have the only caster in the game be my dmpc
Not even once.

Id flee the game and never look back. And I would hide my son's, because you are clearly a massive faggot.
>>
>>53457583
>better in every single way
Divine favour does have the advantage of not needing another a bonus action when something goes down, but I guess 1 hour duration and a 1d6 outweighs that
>>
>>53457687
1 hour duration, 1d6 damage and can be useful out of combat >>53457632
>>
>>53457579
Fun tidbit : I actually was part of a party that loved to flee each and every encounter, surrender, or lose fights we were supposed to win because our frontline played like morons. I was the cleric that loved his fire spells and kept banging his head against the wall each time we were foiled by a single Griffin. Up to the time where I had to finish an encounter alone, the team having ran away due to numerous enemies and I just saw too much of an awesome occasion to use my horde-clearing spells to fucking follow them. I won.
>>
>Want to legitimately play some kind of Cleric/Wizard for flavor reasons
>Cleric/Wizard's considered cheesing
>Theurge is considered OP
>Arcana Cleric's best at being a melee Cleric with BB/GFB

Fuck, I remember in older editions when my biggest worry about a Cleric/Wizard was being too weak. Now I've got to deal with this.
>>
>>53453335
There's also storm barbarian, and tempest cleric for sea themed classes.
>>
>>53457767
Just play them anyway, surely you're a well enough roleplayer to reign yourself in when needed.
>>
>>53457767
Well, technically an OP chassis is easier to deal with than an underpowered one. Just don't be an asshole and try to steal everyone's thunder and you're set.
>>
>>53457802
>>53457803
I guess, I really want to do a Tempest Theurge based off my original character from what I think was 2e or a heavily homebrewed version of it. A Cleric/Wizard who worshipped Talos.

I just feel bad walking to the DM asking if I can play a character who can shit out max damage Lightning Bolts, send people flying around with shocking grasp's, flying at level 14 all while still being a Wizard. Especially since I played a Wizard in our last game.
>>
>>53457307

I was thinking 9 Rogue / 11 Fighter
>>
>>53457859
My dude.

You literally want to play the character I'd had made if I had realized Tempest clerics didn't have lightning bolts.

To be honest, my DM reacts quite well to "Meh, fuck it, I don't feel like rolling the dice, just mark max damage." and it's tons of fun.

No matter how OP your class is, if you concentrate on being helpful to your party and just enjoy doing lots of damage, nobody will take exception to that.
>>
>>53457933

Not likely going to get to 20 on this character but the idea I has was get to 5R/5F for extra attack. After that, wasn't too sure.
>>
>>53453634
Can animal companions attune? If so there's the bracers that give +2 AC if you are unarmored, any belt of giant's strength, the spider slippers or any other boots that increase mobility.
>>
I have a question re the wording of battlemaster maneuvers. It says you can't use two maneuvers on the same attack. Since Feint is a separate action, could you Feint, and then use a maneuver when you make the attack at advantage?
>>
>DM is a writer
>I've spent 4 years making this world and campaign
>finally gonna be able to tell it
>mother of all railroads
>random character introduced walking along a path
>has a description, obviously a main character
>immediately go to kill her because we are in some undead forest and I'm not good
>dodges my attack, has legendary actions and slaps me for 12
>>
>>53458197
>DM is a writer
>I've spent 4 years making this world and campaign
This is where you stop
>>
>roll new character
>18, 12, 12, 9, 11, 9

It's like this game wants me to always play melee characters holy shit.
>>
>>53458197
you got what you deserved
writers who think campaigns are novels are subhuman trash
>>
How's this sound for a rogue archetype?

>At 3rd level, you may use your sneak attack feature after making a successful shove attack, and you can shove creatures and objects an additional number of feet equal to your rogue level rounded up to the nearest 5 ft.
>At 9th level, whenever you shove a creature into an object that could provide that creature half-cover or more, it becomes grappled by that object. The DC to escape this grapple is 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Intelligence or Dexterity modifier (your choice). Additionally, you can shove objects into creatures to grapple them in this way, if the objects would provide half cover or more to that creature.
>At 13th level you no longer take a movement penalty when moving through difficult terrain. Additionally, once per round, you may choose to create a path of nonmagical difficult terrain, either along the path an object or creature you shoved took, or along the path of movement you took. In both cases, this difficult terrain is represented as the debris from the environment left behind by you or the object or creature.
>At 17th level, you have mastered fighting off balance creatures. Once per round, when you attack, or are attacked by a creature that is standing on difficult terrain, you may choose to have you or the creature roll the maximum or minimum for one roll associated with that attack. You may choose to substitute the result after seeing the roll, but must do so before the DM tells you the result.
>>
File: e1424781857580.jpg (275KB, 800x488px) Image search: [Google]
e1424781857580.jpg
275KB, 800x488px
This never warranted making a thread, but I'm curious to know if anyone else has ever played characters that they planned on setting up as the antagonists for their group's next set of characters.

My group and I started out thinking we'd play a sort of "merry band of mercs' type group and ended up practically full blown evil. We decided around lvl 9 or so that once we leveled up enough we'd roll new characters who's overarching quest would be to defeat each member of our old characters one by one.

Anyone ever done anything similar maybe?
>>
whats your theory on a hexblade warlock / zealot barbarian?
>>
Fighter
Paladin
Mystic

Dorf
Half orc
Human
>>
>>53458311
No, but mostly because every group of characters my players make end up full blown evil. In the game of Grand Theft Dragon, there's no need to fight against the other evil guys.
>>
What's the best single-session Adventure League adventure? I'm running a game with a new group (a few new to me, all new to D&D, I've been playing since 3.5) and I'd rather start with one or two one-shots than jump into a big book (although I love OotA and SKT).
>>
>>53458343
That's what I'm worried about for our "Good" group. Playing greedy and taking anything not nailed down is sometimes difficult for a group of people just looking to unwind and fight monsters.
>>
Is the monster hunter fighter any good?

Pick up martial adept and get some manuevers too.
>>
>>53458276
In order? Because that would make a good spellcaster too
>>
>>53458400
In order, yeah. I kind of wanted to play a spellcaster, but alas.

Since my previous character was a Fighter I feel like the Barbarian is my only option right now (since I don't want to play the same class again).
>>
>>53458303
>At 3rd level, you may use your sneak attack feature after making a successful shove attack, and you can shove creatures and objects an additional number of feet equal to your rogue level rounded up to the nearest 5 ft.
What is a 'shove attack'? This is not a term that exists. Are you suggesting that shoving allows you to deal damage now?
>At 9th level, whenever you shove a creature into an object that could provide that creature half-cover or more, it becomes grappled by that object. The DC to escape this grapple is 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Intelligence or Dexterity modifier (your choice). Additionally, you can shove objects into creatures to grapple them in this way, if the objects would provide half cover or more to that creature.
What? They get grappled by a table? They're phasing into it with the physics engine or what?
>At 17th level, you have mastered fighting off balance creatures. Once per round, when you attack, or are attacked by a creature that is standing on difficult terrain, you may choose to have you or the creature roll the maximum or minimum for one roll associated with that attack. You may choose to substitute the result after seeing the roll, but must do so before the DM tells you the result.
Everyone is going to ask "is this an on-command 1 or 20 Divination wizard bonus each round?"
>>
>>53458529
Mountain Dwarf Strength Rogue could work. Gives you 20 STR and 14 CON, with Expertise helping cover your low DEX for Stealth.
>>
>>53458573
But I'd be giving up Sneak Attack, no? Has to be done using a finesse or ranged weapon. Unless I'll be throwing handaxes or javelins every turn.
>>
>>53458602
It has to be finesse but you don't have to use the Dex option.
>>
>>53458602
You can use Strength with Finesse Weapons. So nothing's stopping you using a Rapier with Strength and getting Sneak Attack.

Also you can't use Handaxe or Javelin because it's a melee weapon, not a Ranged Weapon or a weapon with Finesse.
>>
Best Warlock Invocations to go with a paladin?
>>
>>53458566
>What is a 'shove attack'? This is not a term that exists
PHB 195
>>
>>53458655
Which patron and which oath?
>>
>>53458698
Sorry
Devotion Paladin 5 GOOlock 2
Thinking about repelling blast for pushing enemies away but not sure about the others.
>>
File: 1472247034309.jpg (203KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
1472247034309.jpg
203KB, 512x512px
>>53458276
>Rolling for stats
>"It's like this game wants me to always play melee characters holy shit."
You mean
>"It's like this DM wants me to always play melee characters holy shit."
>>
>>53458728
Is UA material allowed?

Consider both repelling blast and grasp of hadar, for directional control.
>>
>>53458728
Going 3 levels of warlock for shillelagh, right? Seems a bit of a shame to do it at level 5 when you're one off aura of protection instead of level 6.

Devil's sight is good, repelling blast is actually okay as an alternative to shoving enemies when you really need to shove an enemy but you still shouldn't be using EB for your main damage probably, at-will false life isn't bad, book of ancient secrets at level 3 is good for all level 1 and 2 rituals if you don't have a wizard.
>>
File: townfolk.jpg (716KB, 1400x900px) Image search: [Google]
townfolk.jpg
716KB, 1400x900px
Anyone ever play a group of "normal" characters? My friends and I just finished a long campaign and were looking to play something more relaxed and we thought the idea of playing as farmers or other civilians might be fun. Figured we could go around fighting low lvl mobs here and there. Would the Commoner's ability scores work? And is any ability above 10 getting into "hero" territory?
>>
>>53458743
Yeah, I'm not a fan of rolling for stats honestly. I like things that add flavour, like rolling for backgrounds or races etc, but I'm really not a fan of being stuck with suboptimal stats that lock you into a handful of specific classes.

>>53458612
>>53458628
I guess it could be interesting. But attacking from closeby as a rogue seems like a perfect way of getting killed ASAP. Maybe Barbarian 1-3/Rogue X? Lots of potential for sneak attack damage in that case, and there's resistance while raging.
>>
>>53458872
Barbarian5/RogueX works out well, though it only really becomes very distintictive at level ~10 or so. But it works fine on all levels before that.

Also it requires 13 str, 13 dex and 13 con, and if you're a str barbarogue you probably want 14 dex for AC and decent con, and if you're a dex barbarogue you want really high dex and con and possibly decent ~14 or ~16 str just in case.

Moon druid is the most non-ability-dependent class of all, only really caring much about having good wisdom, and even then it doesn't need that.

Sorcerer, warlock, wizard, fighter, ranger, artificer, notsureaboutmystic.. Basically everybody except monk/paladin/barbarian and some funky builds can work fine with one good stat.
>>
>make a barbrogue
>dm doesn't let me sneak attack while raging
>>
>>53458566
>what is a shove attack
Shoving is an option when taking the attack action. Read the rules.
>phasing
Hardly. They're getting a bookcase falling on top of them, or getting tangled in the chandelier, or having any number of debris objects restricting their movement.
>is this an on command 1 or 20 divination bonus every round
Conditionally, yes, but more limited, and at 17th level.
>>
>>53458994
Yeah, I wouldn't be that much against rolling for stats if you could freely assign them...But in my DM's case it's just 3d6 in order, and you choose two stats in advance where you get 4d6 drop lowest. I was trying for something more versatile like a half/3 quarters caster (paladin or bladelock or bard) so I chose Str and Cha, but I rolled triple sixes on Str (essentially wasting one of those preferential stats, although 18 is of course really good), and really badly on Cha (9).
>>
>>53453765
>>53456970
Pls halp
>>
So I followed plebbit's and 4chan's advice.

>play online, it is almost as good as playing IRL
>also nicer maps

Okay so my experience so far in roll20:

I DM'd the first game:

>the PCs start talking to a fat noble man giving them a quest
>the man offers them gold for recovering a family heirloom
>one of the players tells him "I want your ears too"
>what?
>yeah cut your ears and give them to me
>fat man says no
>the guy kept insisting over and over for the ears (this went for 5 mins)
>when told that a nobleman wouldn't cut his own ears as payment for something he went on a rant that DM's should let their players do anything, then he rolled for persuasion with no one asking him to and got something like a 20+(like 18+5 or 17+5, something like that)
>he kept insisting because he rolled that he should be given the ears of the man
>kicked from the game
>rest of the players "it is just a game bro, relax"
>second guy asks if he has a wife so they can rape her

Closed the game

Second game, I join as a player

>So my lvl 2 character and other girls character are presented to the party (ongoing game), I am a variant human rogue she's a gnome wizard
>DM "btw in my world all gnomes are sex slaves and half orcs are cotton pickers in the fields"
>the girl says: "excuse me?"
>DM: "yeah so you have in your starting equipment anal beads and a ball gag"
>one of the other players who sounded like he was 500 pounds tell the DM I spank her in the ass and whisper to her ear "hello, sex slave"
>the girl quits in that moment
>I really wanted to try my character
>we enter the dungeon but before a flashy flamboyant character present herself
>i'll guide you through the dungeon my children says the old woman
>yes my children you can trust me I'm lady agatha
>DM's makes a stupid laugh pretending to be an old lady
>oh no a DMPC
>first battle, 3 minotaurs, DMPC acts first
>uses power word kill, instantly kills one minotaur
>I am lvl 2

And I left after
>>
>>53458655
>>53458728
Blade Pact, Claw of Acamar, and Grasp of Hadar

Get within range of someone. Attack them. Reduce their speed to 0. keep attacking them. If they somehow escape, start pulling them towards you with Eldritch Blast. Then opportunity attack double smite them when they attempt to leave.

Levitation at will is pretty good.
>>
>>53459106
Fucking spooky scary skeletons
>>
>>53459115
>taking advice from plebbit or 4chins
Make real friends and play with them in person.
>>
>>53459115
For the love of holy fuck don't expect anything from roll20
Play with friends.
>>
>>53459009
Why, it's called sneak but it's more using your advantage to get more damage in, like knowing weak points etc
>>
>>53459115
You had horrible luck with two incredibly shitty instances. I'm surprised you stuck around so long after those red flags. Also what'd you expect from randoms?
>>
>>53459115
I play on roll20, but only with people I know IRL. You've gotta vet man.
>>
>>53459115
If you play online games you have to be ready to think of it like building a character in Pathfinder with little experience. You'll wade through a lot of shit and have to toss a few characters off a cliff before finding one that works.
>>
>>53459150
>it's called sneak
That's why. I said it isn't about being sneaky, he said no
>>
>>53459009
Are you using a finesse weapon or range weapon?
>>
>>53459178
Have you considered not playing with retards?

Old saying round these parts goes: Not gaming is better than bad gaming.
>>
>>53459178
The story of the DM with no imagination
>>
>>53459156
I guess I'll give roll20 a third chance. I always says that once is bad luck, twice is a coincidence and three times a pattern.

But holy shit why people treat their DND like a place to show their sex fantasies. Is it because online you don't have to see people in the eyes while you act like a subhuman horny creature?
>>
>>53459009
>>53459178
Show him video clips of Mike Tyson sneaking uppercuts in.
>>
>>53459232
Yeah sounds about right
>>
>>53459178
My dm literally said the same thing. He I'm a rouge and he won't let me get sneak attack if a person is "focusing their attention on me."
>>
>>53458013
I would rule yes, but your DM may change it.
>>
>>53459232
Give it a third chance, but be smart about it. Talk to the players before committing to a session.
>>
>>53459178
>>53459255
Literally shove the PHB in their face and make them read the text for Sneak Attack out loud, two or three times slowly if necessary.
>>
>>53459232
People are dumb as hell. All I can say is good luck and I hope you find someone with a sense of decency. Are just joining games or are you asking about them before actually going in?
>>
>>53458303
First of all, I don't like it and wouldn't want to play it and would rather not DM for somebody playing it.

3rd: I don't like shove dealing damage, I would rather add free shove attempt if sneak attack hits. Distance increase has weird phrasing.
9th: Retarded. I understand the intention but holy fuck I dislike this. I'd just scrap it and replace it with something else. Shove can both move and force prone? Shoved enemy speed falls to 0 for one round? Grapple is not the right mechanic to use here.
13th: Pain in the ass to track.
17th: Literally what?

Then comes the question of power when compared to other rogue kits, and the fact that the archetype is crippled against enemies who disregard difficult terrain and/or shoves (via size for example) + it has zero non-combat stuff at all.

tl;dr nice try but I think it sucks dicks.
>>
>>53459280
I've tried lol.
so I made that work for me. what i've been doing is hiding as a bonus on my first turn then on my next turn I have advantage on my my first attack, then I just rehide. so It works out,
im gonna be dming a west marches style game and he's playing. we have a rouge and ill show him how it is supposed to work.
>>
>>53459320
Again, you could alternatively just not play with retards. They don't grasp new concepts easily, so even with the rulebook in front of him and you literally providing an example for him, he's not going to get it.
>>
>>53459314
You bring up some good points. I'll change some things around.
>>
>>53459341
other than that he's a damn good dm and we're all good friends who play together.
I'm pretty sure he thinks sneak attack is op.
it's not a huge deal it's just annoying.
>>
>>53459296
The second one I talked to the players and DM, they sounded like normal people. One of the players told me he was the best DM he has ever played with.
>>
>>53459376
>I'm pretty sure he thinks sneak attack is op.
I don't understand how anyone can think this. Rogue damage is sub-par
>>
>>53459415
yeah I know. our paladin at level 10 managed to deal 100 damage in one turn.
but my 1d4+5d6+4 is op?
>>
So the party is invited to a noble gala, an event commemorating the ruler's 5th year as Open Lord of Waterdeep. Would such a place have like a "locker room" where people would leave their belongings? Especially weapons and dangerous shit.

Also, I don't really plan for the party being crashed, I just want to give the PCs a chance to mingle with nobles and other important people. How do I keep it interesting without murder or violence?
>>
Am playing a stone sorcerer, full melee based focused on booming blade + metamagic stuff.
My DM is being cool and is buffing sorc a bit to be a bit closer to wizard, including replacing "Spells known" with level + modifier.
Though my Charisma is pretty low (+2 to start, and will probably max Str and Con first), so i'm trying to avoid spells that require a save/attack roll. I was trying to think ahead for spells to pick, so I'm not fucking around trying to pick. Is this a decent list, considering I have level + 2 spells known
Starting at level 3:
Shield, Absorb Elements (not a sorc spell but DM allowing bc it's fitting)
Enlarge, Mirror Image, Misty Step
Level 4, Spider Climb(?)
Level 5: Haste, replace spider climb with Blink
Level 6: Fly
Level 7: Greater Invis
Level 8: Dimension Door
Level 9: Wall of Stone

I feel like I could get more utility, though maybe thats from trying to compare Sorc to Wizard. I would like Hold Person for quicken + booming blade for easy crit shenanigans, but with my DC only being 12 atm, I feel like it's unlikely to work.
>>
File: slight_discomfort.jpg (19KB, 500x334px) Image search: [Google]
slight_discomfort.jpg
19KB, 500x334px
>>53459009
>>
File: 1468376131143.png (821KB, 865x807px) Image search: [Google]
1468376131143.png
821KB, 865x807px
>>53459404
>One of the players told me he was the best DM he has ever played with.
>DM "btw in my world all gnomes are sex slaves and half orcs are cotton pickers in the fields"
>DM: "yeah so you have in your starting equipment anal beads and a ball gag"
It was the spanker, wasn't it?
>>
>>53459435
If I recall right a level 12 paladin should be capable of reaching as high as ~230 damage in one round on average with the right shit and ordinary pointbuy
>>
>>53459442
There'd definitely be room to leave belongings, but I'd imagine it'd be well guarded part of barracks rather than simple "locker room".

You can go for some nonviolent shitstorm, e.g. nobles being offended (for a good reason or not) or something very precious being stolen, with everybody becoming a suspect.
>>
I'm thinking of taking my level 7 paladin (OoV) to 11 then taking 3 levels of sorc for twinned spell and quickened spell, not to mention the cantrips ( BB, GFB) and Shield. Do you guys think this would add some nice versatility or should I just not bother?
>>
>>53459554
Twinned and Quicken are pretty useless if you're only dipping in to Sorc, as opposed to dipping from Sorc to Paladin, you'll only have 3 points per long rest. If you really want Shield, you could easily just put 1 level or even grab Magic Initiate, bc it becomes a spell you know and can cast with Pally slots
>>
>>53459554
Don't bother asking, anon. the response you're guaranteed to get is "lol no one plays past level 10 faggot"
>>
>>53459592
oh, and forgot to mention GFB and BB are pretty much useless when you have Extra attack
>>
How would you stat a barbarian thats a PTSD war veteran instead of a wildman?
>>
>>53459592
Hmm that make sense, if I was just doing a 1 level dip I'd still get the cantrips too. Does BB come in handy for a pally or would that fuck up my action economy? I've also read that a 1 level dip into warlock is useful too
>>
>>53459613
Higher dex for getting the jump, low cha for those break-down moments.
>>
>>53459608
>Useless
Why's that?
>>
>>53459461
I forgot to add that but yes you guessed correctly.
>>
New DM (and player, for that matter) running the Starter Set. Are there rules for dividing up treasure? I'd imagine money you just divide equally, but what if there's a magic item? Who gets it? Do the players decide? What if they squabble?
>>
>>53459686
The players decide.
>>
>>53459686
Players decide. If two multiple people want the same thing, try to make them argue for it in-character. If one of them has no in-character reason to want it, give it to the one that does. If multiple people have a reason to want it, have the party vote or something. Or at that point, just decide yourself who needs it most.
You are the DM. Your word is final, but don't abuse that power.
>>
>>53459624
>>53459643

See
>>53459608
Useless may be the wrong word, but
Don't know what weapon/oath you are, but I dont think it matters for this. Assuming 1 handed weapon for reasons
1d8+5 +1d8 from improved smite, X2 = two attacks of about 14 damage each = ~28
BB and GFB do not get extra attack, so
BB: 1d8+5 +1d8 then 2d8, with 3d8 if they move. So it does 1 attack of 14 phys, then 9 thunder + 13.5 IF they move, averaging to ~37 damage if they move, only 23 if they don't.
HOWEVER if you were using a 2 handed weapon, IE a more optimised PAM build or something-
You lose out on bonus action attacks if you have PAM/other sources of bonus action attacks.
You have less chance to crit, which means its harder to fish for crits with smites
If you want to go nova, you cant blow 2 spell slots for smites.
A 2 handed weapon would do more damage with the attack, so 2 attacks does more
If you have a +1 or higher weapon, that gets doubled if you hit twice.

Its not a bad idea, if you know enemies are trying to flee often, then it does more, if you for some reason don't have a magic weapon then this could help. Additionally, if you have war caster, booming blade is amazing to fuck up people trying to escape.
Oh, and bb and gfb has a range of 5 feet, so if you're doing a PAM build, it doesn't fully work out for 10 foot range.

it is 4am i have work in 3 hours but I haf autismo
>>
>>53459494
>it'd be well guarded part of barracks rather than simple "locker room"
Well yeah, for sure.

So far I've got
>nobles gambling, getting drunk and pestering the PCs
>one boot-licker that resents the party's favoured position with the ruler
>ruler's (or most likely, some other noble's) daughter and/or son get all starry eyed around some of the "heroes"
I think I'd only use the theft mystery of one of the PCs had done it, though
>>
>>53459836
Oh, totally forgot to mention. If you're going for full power and like the idea of GFB/Booming blade, then a 1-2 level dip in warlock is probably better. You can get things like Hex on a short rest. Will slow down your actual spell progression unlike sorcerer, but having 1-2 slots on short rest might be helpful?

Though honestly I'm not a huge fan of multiclass min-maxing, like if I was your DM i'd much prefer if you had an actual reason to have a level in warlock, which is pretty hard to justify that far in.
>>
Idea for vitality-like death save fix:

>When you hit 0 HP you don't go unconscious and you function just the same as normal. However, any further damage including from that attack damages your max HP instead. If your max HP hits 0, you die.
>You restore max HP lost this way when returning from dungeon to town (designed for a dungeoneering type game), though alternatives include restoring a set % of your total max HP in max HP on a long rest.
>>
How do you give a setting that high fantasy adventure feel? Like Wakfu or Granblue
>>
>>53459980
>wakfu
>high fantasy
>not comic fantasy
the fuck outta here boy.
>>
>>53460026
>Comic Fantasy isn't good
>Comic Fantasy isn't fun
>>
>>53460045
>implying implications
Never said it wasn't. Just that it wasn't what you said it was. Because it's not.
>>
>>53459836
I appreciate the break down amigo, I'm using flame tongue that my DM let me refluff as a Maul. I'm just theory crafting really, I've heard pally/sorc and pally/warlock were really good but I'd rather go more paladin.
>>
>>53460063
Now that it's settled, can I get suggestions?
>>
>>53459940
That's a MASSIVE boost to a PC survivability, you're essentially doubling their effective HP. There's gotta be some drawbacks from being at 0 HP, like disadvantage on all attacks and ability checks at the very least.

As for recovering max HP, my suggestion would be you can spend hit dice during a long rest and restore that amount, up to your actual max.
>>
Does anyone know what sort of build can give you similar effects to the 4E Warlord class? I want to be able to move around and empower allies, but most of the classes that do that seem to hang in the back.
>>
>>53460151
Try the Avatar mystic. It's literally a warlord/white raven adept in a psionic shell.
>>
>>53454718
>A Dragoon that can't do a jumping attack (their defining feature (with high jumps and armored polearm use as their secondary features)) until endgame.
That really doesn't work. That's like a wizard not having magic until level 14.

>>53454683
>Tiger Level 3
Hmm. Certainly has potential. Sucks for the vertical jumping though.
Can you make a running jump as just a move action, so you can make an attack at the end of it?
When jumping, it consumes movement. Does your movement also cap your jump distance?

Actually, where do I find jump DCs? How Does one determine how far they have jumped after their Athletics Roll?

>>53455467
>>53455509
I looked there too. Eventually I did a google saerch and figured out in this case DMG means DMs Guild.

>>53454957
>>53455485
I like the subclass. The subclass is great. If only it was on a different class. Like fighter, or barbarian (though it would make them quite the one trick ponies when applied to classes without the spells and whatnot). All those Dragon Disciple type abilities like breath weapons are just too mystical.

If I was a player just looking to play such a thing in someone's campaign, maybe I'd go for it; but as the GM looking for leapy knights which I would also allow the players to build, it doesn't scratch the itch.

I may use it for something else, but it doesn't give me mostly mundane leapy polearm knights.
>>
>>53460151
>>53460153
Yeah definitely what you're looking for here. Goddamn I love how versatile Mystics are.
>>
>>53460097
>Massive boost to PC survivability
And yet right now clerics and whatever will heal players for 1 HP every time or they'll roll 20 on a save and get up after they go down and players will tank extra damage that way from overbleed.

And players being tankier anyway isn't so bad, it puts players more in line with monsters.

You just have to adjust encounters to account for players having more HP.

What's more worrying and I'm not sure about is less about monster design (you can design them to fit the campaign) but the player designs such as temporary HP. Inspiring leader would be pretty damn good.

Using hitdice to recover sounds like it'd work well, though I'd probably have to add on something to make it desirable to use hitdice for healing normal HP (i.e. roll double dice)
>>
>>53459940
>>53460097
Another idea for drawbacks:
>If you start your turn with 0 HP, you must make a Constitution saving throw or gain one level of exhaustion. The DC starts at 10 and increases by 5 after each success. On a failure, it resets to 10.
Optional addition:
>A level of exhaustion acquired in such a way can be removed by taking a short rest.
>>
>>53460174
>>53460097
Actually, wait-
My real concern here is that con now has almost double value.
I'd probably want to do something so that con isn't quite as valuable on character generation (Costs more from pointbuy?)
>>
>>53460073
I usually don't pay too much attention to minmaxing stuff outside of trying to be efficient with actions/attacks, but I think that pallock/Sorlock is either:
2 levels Paladin, Rest in Warlock gives you divine smites with Warlock spell slots, so max level smites on short rest. If you combine that with Hexblade (Multiclassing with UA lmao) or go book of secrets shillelagh you can key it all off Charisma too, and get the Warlock smite invocation for 2 smites with one attack. You also still get heavy armour due to being a Pally to begin with.
OR
2-3 Levels Warlock, rest sorcerer.
This is purely to get agonising blast and spam quicken to do some stupid damage. The points in warlock are just to get the best cantrip + some invocations. Can get a 3rd level in warlock for a pact boon.
>>
>>53460230
Normally when someone wants to "double HP" like this they give max hp by class, or increase class HD size, rather than doubling your normal total.

Personally I'm more inclined to grant a flat +12 HP buff to PCs.
>>
>>53460153
>>53460164

Holy fuck this would be a blast to play.

Unfortunately I probably wont be able to play something from UA, but this is defiantly exactly what I wanted. Appreciated.
>>
>>53460209
I do like the 'get exhaustion for going to 0' idea, and I do like that that develops it into 'actually, you want to get them up as soon as possible or else they're going to get more exhausted', but..

I still don't like the 'you go down and then you're out' element with the 'you only really die if enemies feel like attacking you while you're down' and 'healing for 1 HP' stuff.

>>53460310
Increasing HP is more of a welcome side effect, I'd say.
>>
>>53460332
Just be willing to work with your DM to balance it. Let him see your build, and make suggestions. Discuss it, and nerf whatever seems too strong. Just because it's UA doesn't mean it should be an autoban.
>>
>>53460174
>>53460230
>I'd probably want to do something so that con isn't quite as valuable on character generation
I don't think that's necessary. Con already is the single stat that's valuable to everyone independent of class. If you want to go through with this, let those who can be tanky, be tanky.
>though I'd probably have to add on something to make it desirable to use hitdice for healing normal HP (i.e. roll double dice)
I also don't think that's needed. You could just make the recovery process a bit faster, for example

>When you finish a long rest, your maximum HP recovers by a number equal to your Con modifier + your level. You can also spend hit die to further restore your maximum HP.

>>53460336
Right, which is why you have the PCs still up and going at 0 HP, but at risk of gaining exhaustion levels. Using all of these ideas together seems to make for a decent variant that beefs PC survivability while still punishing them for being a 0 HP.

Huh. I honestly like this. I'll have to try it out at some point, see how it plays.
>>
>>53460275
I appreciate all the info man, I don't want to be a minmaxing shitter either, I just like to bouce ideas around. And as far as MCing goes it would be difficult to justify dipping at that level for me anyhow. I do wonder if I should have went the PAM route though, it's feat heavy and that would mean sacrificing those useful ASI's
>>
>>53460160
Bumping for interest in the jump questions.
>>
Trying again, with criticism in mind. I'm basically trying to make a pirates of the carribean style rogue subclass. And before you ask, swashbuckler isn't really it, though it does come closer than the other classes. I've ommited the fluff and exact rules lingo for text limit requirements.

Level 3: Can sneak attack with improvised and thrown improvised weapons. If you do so, you can reduce the enemy's speed to 0 until the end of your next turn, by entangling them with the improvised weapon (which obviously drops the weapon, and you can't pick it up until they unentangle themselves).

Level 9: You may spend a minute talking to a creature.They must make a wisdom/insight check against your charisma/deception check. You can only attempt this once per creature per day. If you succeed, you get to control their actions for a six second period of your choosing, during the next 10 minutes, but can't obviously harm the creature or its allies with this feature.

Level 13: as a bonus action, you can try to shove someone prone. If you succeed, they can't use actions (but can use bonus actions) until the start of your next turn. Recharges every 1d4 rounds.

Level 17: after spending a minute free to maneuver within an environment (works in combat unless restrained somehow) you can assemble a trap of sorts. The trap has the conditions of your choosing, affects the targets of your choice, and one of the following effects:
1. All targets blinded for 1d4 rounds unless they beat a DC 19 Dex Save
2. All targets knocked prone unless they beat a DC 19 Dex Save
3. All targets take damage equal to your sneak attack.
4. All targets Deafened for 1d4 rounds
5. All targets moved 20 feet in the direction of your choice (same direction for all targets) unless they make a DC 19 Strength save
6. A single target becomes stunned until the start of the next turn (not round, turn).
>>
How do you keep your players from breaking setting focus?, like their characters saying stuff from other fantasy games or anime
>>
>>53461205
>at will drop speed to 0
how about no?
>>
>>53461325
Have different players
>>
>>53460605
>let those who can be tanky, be tanky
They can be tanky. And they'll be tankier than everybody else, because not everybody and their others will start with 16 con. It just costs them more of their dump stats, really.

>I also don't think that's needed. You could just make the recovery process a bit faster, for example
It'd mean there'd be no reason to use hitdice on short rests except out of desperation, and thus essentially encourage healers instead when hitdice are supposed to make people not-healer-dependent. Because, even with that suggestion, it's still worth the same amount as normal HP and as max HP.
.. Well, I suppose if you're worried about dying then desperation is actually a real reason to use it early, huh.
>>
>>53461325
Three options

1) Ignore it. Unless your players actually mean to say it (see 2), assume it's just player banter and not actually said by their character.

2) Bite it. Have your NPCs react as you think they should, not getting references or making comments about the strangeness of the adventurers.

3) Fluff it. Assume that your NPCs understood the meaning of what was said without worrying about exact wording.

Or mix any of the three as appropriate.
>>
>>53461426
What's wrong with that?
>>
>>53461562
>whats wrong with being able to kite anything without ranged attacks forever, no save required
gee, I don't know
>>
>>53461605
>what is AC
>>
I rolled up an abjuration wizard mountain dwarf. What are some must-haves for this character? I want to be able to get right into melee combat with self buffs and stuff, is this viable?
>>
>>53461205
>you can reduce the enemy's speed to 0 until the end of your next turn
You could give that a dex saving throw
>>
>>53461685
I could, but that would be out of line with similar features, and lots of rolling. Claw of Acamar.
>>
>>53461492
>con costing more points
I mean, I guess it's fine, but at least give everyone a few more points to use. I always thought 27 points was already very restrictive anyway, usually I give my players 29 or 30.

>hit dice usage
What if instead of making hit die heal for double, you just give everyone one extra hit die every odd level? 2 HD at 1st level, 3 at 2nd, 5 at 3rd, etc.
>>
>>53461616
>what's hitting about 2/3 of attacks
stupid ass nigga
>>
>>53461845
The first idea was to give 30 points, but if con costed more I'd probably give ~34 or 35 points, maybe.

Though I've decided now I don't want to put too many confusing character creation rules in and instead having high con is just a 'if you do this your custom feat everybody gets will probably be a bit less powerful' which is subjective but hey.
>>
>>53461845
>>53461887
Oh, and, giving extra hitdice probably is a good idea if it's simply to compensate for most HP and all that.

But the hitdice thing isn't my own concern, I already have a system laid out for max HP restoration (Go back to town out of the dungeon).
>>
>>53461856
and? That's fine.
>>
@53461918
(You)
>>
>>53461943
again, see Claw of Acamar for comparison.
>>
>>53459442
Bumping for ideas

>>53461887
>>53461897
Coolio. At some point report back, I'd like to hear how these rules work in actual play.
>>
>>53461983
I'm running a playtest with some friends with various rules I'm considering using before I start the real thing. Also because I don't have enough time right now to do a proper game.

I'll have conclusive results at some point in summer.
>>
>>53461962
which requires the user to spend one of his at most 4 spell slots
>>
>>53462044
No, it doesn't.
>>
>>53462136
Claw of Acamar requires a spell slot to be burnt in order to get the extra damage AND to reduce speed.
>>
>>53462157
No, it lists 2 things you can do when you hit an enemy. you can use a spell slot to smite, AND you can reduce its speed to 0. This is basic grammar. Is English not your first language?
>>
>>53462175
Wow. Just...wow.
>>
>>53462175
I don't think that's correct - those aren't two separate clauses. The comma is followed by an 'and' which indicates that it's a continuation of the previous sentence. If the speed reduction effect was separate from the Spell Slot being spent, it would have its own sentence.
>>
>>53462280
>I don't think that's correct
it's not correct, that guy is a moron.
>>
>>53462175
When you spend a spell slot you:

Can smite for 2d8
and
reduce speed to 0

Your reading comprehension is shit
>>
>>53462280
That's incorrect. The placement of the comma is in line with my interpretation, as is past wording. If WotC wants something tied to the use of another ability, they typically begin the secondary effect with "If you do, you may (blah)..."
>>
Reminder to report and ignore shitposting.
>>
>>53462329
Can you provide an example of past wording?
>>
>>53462326
>>53462366
in a bit, playing dota.
>>
So I'm trying to pick a level 4 feat for my fighter, classic high strength and con Maul user with GWF style. Now, I normally try to pick feats to be thematic, But the group I'm in is very munchkiny So I'm trying to pick a feat strategically. What would you recommend 5eg?
>>
I have a level 5 one-shot coming up. What are some meme builds I could play as?
Not looking to cheese the game since that doesn't seem fun, just give me some enjoyable gimmicks.
>>
>>53462440
i dunno, how about the feat made for great weapon fighting?
>>
>>53462440
GWM
>>
I'm going to be running a West Marches game soon.
I never dmed before what should my notes looks like for the session?
>>
>>53462175
>>53462280
>>53462326
>When you hit a creature with it, you can expend a spell slot to deal an additional 2d8 necrotic damage to the target per spell level, and you can reduce the creature’s speed to 0 feet until the end of your next turn.
The way it's written makes it sound like expending a spell slot is not a requirement of inflicting the speed reduction, but common sense would suggest that freely immobilizing a creature every time you land an attack is a little OP.
>>
>>53462546
if wizards wanted it to inflict speed reduction at will it would say

When you hit a creature with it, you can reduce the creature’s speed to 0 feet until the end of your next turn, or you can expend a spell slot to deal an additional 2d8 necrotic damage to the target per spell level.
>>
>>53462546
In the context of the whole description it definitely sounds like expending a spell slot is a requirement.

You can create a black, lead flail using your Pact
of the Blade feature. The flail’s head is sculpted
to resemble a pair of grasping tentacles. The
weapon has the reach property.

[New sentence]

When you hit a
creature with it, you can expend a spell slot to
deal an additional 2d8 necrotic damage to the
target per spell level, and you can reduce the
creature’s speed to 0 feet until the end of your
next turn.
>>
>>53462591
it does say.
>>
>>53462546
If you look at other abilities (mostly class features) they split multiple abilities into two sentences, so it would look like;

>"When you hit a creature with it, you can reduce the creature's speed to 0 feet until the end of your next turn. In addition, you can expend a spell slot to deal an additional 2d8 necrotic damage to the target per spell level."
>>
>>53462615
You've got it in reverse. If they wanted to make them contingent on the smite, they would have made the speed part of the "in addition" clause.
>>
Also, why would reducing speed to 0 be OP for kiting purposes when a warlock can already almost guarantee success on kiting a single target with repelling blast?
>>
>>53462700
Claw would require one hit to reduce speed to 0
Repelling blast would require Three hits to push 30ft, and still allows target to possibly move to cover/switch to a closer target

See a difference?
>>
>>53462730
Yeah, one hit with a melee weapon, on a class that only gets 2 hits with that weapon.
>>
>>53462679
It is, they're both part of the same sentence.

When you spend a spell slot you deal damage AND you reduce speed to 0.
>>
>>53462745
two chances to completely immobilize foe
vs
three required hits, to push a foe, meaning they can dash and still gain +30 ft towards you
>>
>>53462679
I would still like to see an example where the writers have started a sentence with 'When you expend a resource' followed by a clause that doesn't depend on the resource being expended.
>>
>>53462783
forcing a dash is still kiting though. Actually, repelling blast offers better kiting, because you are immune to opportunity attacks.
>>
>>53462819
except in a team game where the foe can switch targets.
>>
>>53462819
Right, but this conversation (if you go back far enough) is about giving the ability to reduce speed to 0 to a rogue's sneak attack with thrown weapons.

Which is broken.
>>
>>53462851
I don't see how it's broken though, when the warlock has both melee and ranged options which accomplish the same thing.
>>
>>53461646
Probably misty step is one to get in there, play in a campaign wth undead or other evils and use protection from evil and good.

That's like the basics.
>>
>>53462886
I'd argue that it's unbalanced in that reducing an enemy's speed to 0 prevents them from reaching you short of teleporting. At least with eldritch blast, they only get -pushed- away and can walk towards you again.

With the claw, it's a reach attack that requires a spell slot to reduce their speed to 0.
>>
>>53462915
Now your argument is getting poor though. The wording of the claw is not what you say it is. So when asked why you think that's OP, you just say common sense. It isn't common sense.
>>
>>53463032
I didn't realize why UA usually isn't allowed. Now I do.
>>
>>53463058
yeah, retards ruin everything.
>>
>>53463058
If you give me a valid balance reason for why a squishy gish shouldn't be able to reduce speed to 0 at will (contingent on hitting AC), while it's superior non gish version can kite more effectively, I'll concede the point. But so far you haven't provided such a reason.
>>
>>53463113
we've given you one, because that's not what the fucking rules say. Jesus, you're as bad as those horsecaster fags.
>>
>>53463113
I'm
>>53462602

I'm not arguing balance, I'm arguing that you're misinterpreting the cost of the ability you're comparing it to. One misplaced comma in UA and all this goes to shit.
>>
>>53463032
My argument is that the effect 'reduces speed to 0' is preceded, in the same sentence, by the requirement of 'spend a spell slot.'

The argument presented against my grammatical interpretation are:
>If WotC wants something tied to the use of another ability, they typically begin the secondary effect with "If you do, you may (blah)..."

>If they wanted to make them contingent on the smite, they would have made the speed part of the "in addition" clause.

And I would still like to see some examples where the writers have done this previously. Grammatically speaking, the speed reduction effect is tied to expending a spell slot. The sentence starts with an 'If, then' clause and branches into TWO different effects that the spell slot expenditure causes. The first is that it deals extra damage and the second is that it reduces speed to 0.
>>
>>53463142
It isn't just a misplaced comma, it's completely wrong wording for what you suggest. If they wanted to tie the speed reducing ability to the smite, they would have phrased it like so:

Smite text. If you choose to smite, you may also reduce that creature's move speed to 0.
>>
>>53463171
When you hit a
target per spell level, and you can reduce the
next turn.

vs

When you hit a
target per spell level and you can reduce the
next turn.
>>
>>53463171
But that's WRONG. It's directly tied to expending a spell slot. It's in the same sentence.
>>
>>53463192
Both of those have the same grammatical meaning: they list two options you have when you hit a creature with it.
>>
>>53463192
[If A] then [B], [And C]
[If A] then [B] [And C]
Same thing. If they weren't connected, it wouldn't be in that sentence.
>>
>>53463205
No they don't, without the comma the sentence is only two clauses, rather than three, with the subject of the third clause left vague.

"The panda eats shoots and leaves."
"The panda eats, shoots, and leaves."

Successful troll is successful

>>53463250
They're very similar, but the first one there is a very small probability that thw subordinate clause [And C] could refer to a clause outside of that sentence. It's just poorly written because it's playtest material.
>>
>>53463192
>>53463275
I just want to clarify that I agree that the wording indicates that a spell slot is required to be expended to reduce speed. I'm trying to explain why the poor construction of this sentence lead to this interpretation.
>>
>>53463297
This guy knows he's interpreting it wrong. He said that "there's a small probability" of this being the case, but he's acting retarded because he can't find any examples that back him up.
>>
>>53463275
No. Grammatically, the comma has no effect. Your example only works because both shoots and leaves have alternate meanings, which the comma helps to clarify.
>>
>>53463324
>small probability
>ctrl+f "small probability"
>only two examples are your post and another post that isn't me, 2 posts before it

Don't put words in my mouth retard. I've never admitted to any chance that I'm wrong.
>>
File: 1493337788111.png (279KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1493337788111.png
279KB, 500x375px
>this whole thread

>>53463275
"The panda devours greenery and leafage."
"The panda devours, greenery, and leafage."
Your example only works if the words are badly chosen.
>>
>>53463192
>>53463275
>>53463297
These are all me. This stupid conversation makes me want to be a tripfag.

>>53463058
So is this. Just not going to allow UA in any of my games. Which is a damn shame, because I love psionics. Hope an official, edited Dark Sun book comes out.

>>53463350
Your effect on the community is so good, no one would want to tarnish it.
>>
>>53463350
Oh, my bad, it was
>very small probability that thw
>>
>>53463385

Still not me retard.
>>
>>53463399
Is English not your first language? I was clearly referring to the person who said
and not you.
>>
Found it. Here's the feature where Wizards wanted an additional effect to be contingent upon the expenditure of some resource.

>ferocious charger
>At 7th level, you gain additional benefits when you use superiority dice to increase your damage when you attack with a lance. You can expend up to two superiority dice on the attack, adding both to the damage roll. If you spend two dice, the target has disadvantage on its Strength saving throw to avoid being knocked prone.

>You can do X. If you do X, you can create effect Y.

This is clearly the template for this kind of effect, and Mearls or Crawford chose not to follow it with the Claw of Acamar. Instead, they did this:

>If you attack, you have these two options you can do.
>>
>>53463399
>https://youtu.be/QMkOS7LhHcQ
>>
>>53463463
Poorly edited playtest document vs poorly edited playtest document
>>
>>53463504
It seems like a deliberate choice of words on their part to me. Your only argument at this point is that it offends your notions of balance, but that's retarded. See the earlier discussions of warlock kiting mechanisms.
>>
How would you build a nomad mystic?
I feel like using a bow makes sense, of course. But is a melee nomad mystic possible?

I like the idea of teleporting in and hitting people then teleporting away.
>>
>>53463463
That's a case where spending additional resources in ADDITION to the first resource requirement has a secondary effect. It's still not the same case as the Claw. This isn't even a case of moving the goalposts, you've just gone and brought back an example that doesn't fit the situation. You need to step up your game.
>>
>>53463534

Me again.
>>53463381

Never argued based on balance. Only argued based on grammar.
>>
Okay, how about Step of the Wind? In your opinion, does the monk have to take the dash or disengage with their bonus action, in order to get doubled jump distance?

Would you allow the monk to use step of the wind after a flurry of blows, in order to jump a long gap with their normal move action? I'm curious now about how bad /5eg/ is at balance.
>>
>>53463586
I'm literally not sure which side you're arguing against here, but I'm going to take a guess.

Step of the Wind and Claw of Acamar both follow the same schema:

Spend [resource] to do [A], and [B]

If the Claw allows you to reduce enemy speed to 0 without spending a spell slot, then Step of the Wind allows you to double your jump distance without spending a Ki point.
>>
>>53463586
?
Jumping normally doesn't matter anyway. But yeah, if they want to suddenly go from normal jump height to doubling it, I'll require a resource.

Does it really break anything if you let them have it for free? No, not really. Do you just want to change it to a class feature where they can expend a ki without an action to double their jump distance? Seems to me step of the wind gives them that more as a secondary benefit anyway. Whatever you wanna do.

>I'm curious now about how bad /5eg/ is at balance
so it seems you already have made up your mind about the question you ask and if someone doesn't agree with you they're bad at balance?
>>
>>53463676
Well there's a comma separating 'getting to take dash or disengage as a bonus action' and 'double jump' so yeah, monks always have double jump for 1 turn whenever they decide to.
>>
>>53463676
No. Step of the Wind's effect is this: You spend the ki point, and you gain the following effects: you may (but are not required to) use dash or disengage as a bonus action, and you double your jump distance. This is the most appropriate balance wise.

Which is also the exact same result for Claw of Acamar.
>>
>>53463730
Yeah, that's correct. That's what I was saying, but my example was the absurdity of the reverse.
>>
>>53463718
The question is basically if the monk is required to take the dash or disengage as a bonus action in order to get the double jump, after spending the ki. It could be relevant, because the monk might want to use their bonus action for something else, while still being able to jump.
>>
>>53463730
Yeah, this is what I was arguing - the Claw requires you to spend a spell slot to reduce enemy speed to 0, but you don't -have- to smite. You still have to spend the spell slot though. You don't reduce enemy speed to 0 on every hit, just like the monk has to spend 1 ki point to double their jump distance even if they don't dash or disengage as a bonus action.
>>
>>53463718
>>53463730
>>53463752

You must expend the bonus action. All 3 of the martial arts features require such a bonus action to activate. Regardless of grammar ambiguity, RAI is clear.
>>
>>53463538
pls respond

Otherwise I might go trickery cleric/monk for a similar effect using blink.
>>
>>53463782
The difference here is that the Claw doesn't require an action or a bonus action. Using Step of the Wind as an example is good otherwise, though.
>>
>>53463828
I just got here, famalams.
I don't know what the fuck the claw nonsense is about. But I know monks.
>>
File: Claw of Acamar.png (66KB, 613x459px) Image search: [Google]
Claw of Acamar.png
66KB, 613x459px
>>53463852
Anon is saying that the Claw reduces speed to 0 on every hit, and you don't need to expend a spell slot to do so. It's just a bonus of hitting someone with the Claw.
>>
>>53463852
There's a feature in the warlock UA called "Claw of Acamar" It reads "When you hit a creature with an attack, you can do X and Y".

The question is whether you have to do both X and Y, or you can do only Y.
>>
>>53463874
Because both say "you can" seems like you can choose to do X and Y, or X, or Y.
>>
Is Curse of Strahd set in the Forgotten Realms?
>>
>>53463921
It's set in its own plane.
You can have characters brought there from anywhere you want.
>>
>>53463874
Thanks for posting the exact rule. I was going off memory.

Reading it, I'm convinced you can do either or. The rule's wording is (shortened for clarity) "you can [smite], and you can [slow]" The fact that they put "you can" in there twice makes it seem intentionally worded for either/or. If they wanted to word it less ambiguously so both effects have to happen, they could have eliminated the second "you can", or made the second effect a "when you [smite]"
>>
>>53463914
Ultimately this one comes down to DM's individual ruling, but from a grammatical standpoint I'm still going to argue that you need to spend a spell slot to reduce speed to 0. The 'You can' part of the clause means that you have the choice of NOT reducing speed to 0, but spending the spell slot is still required.
>>
>>53463940
Forgive my naivete, but is it set in the 'classic' Ravenloft campaign setting? Does it effectively 'reboot' the original adventure?
>>
>Only two players show up today
>Multiple people can't play for the next four weeks
I hate everything.
>>
>>53463947
It's really just ambiguous. Could mean either.
From a balance perspective I'd go with your ruling, but I already stated how the sentence reads to me.

UA is full of shit like this though, so I'm not surprised.
>>
Most importantly, anon is using that interpretation of Claw to justify homebrewing a rogue ability to at-will set someone's movement speed to zero when they sneak attack with a thrown dagger.
>>
>>53463978
Technically incorrect. It would have to be a thrown improvised weapon. I'll remove the thrown clause though, that seems fair.
>>
>>53463978
Fucking lol.
No, that's a terrible idea. If it's an at-will ability, it better be something of a capstone.
Reducing someone's speed to zero at-will is akin to a free grapple in terms of abuse.
>>
>>53464001
Why?
>>
>>53464021
>knock the guy down
>at-will reduce his speed to zero
>he can't get up
>enjoy infinite advantage
>>
>>53463991
technically you can throw a dagger as an improvised weapon

>>53464001
that's what we're saying. But anon-kun seems to think that if it is okay in a loosely defined, non-playtested UA, it should be okay for him.
>>
>>53464041
You can already do this in a turn with any class that has extra attacks:

knock a guy down, grapple them.

The rogue doesn't get extra attacks, so this would require 2 turns. The rogue subclasses also offer numerous ways to get advantage all the time. So why would this be bad?
>>
My campaign just launched it's seafaring/swashbuckling phase today. Yarrrrr!
>>
>>53462459
Mounted feat paladin
>>
>>53464075
Yar! I be as jelly as a fish.
>>
>>53464060
Tell you what, give me the exact ability you are trying to homebrew?

Just have the strong guy of your group knock them down and ready your action to use the ability when he's down.
The problem is that even with a grappler build, there's still a chance they can get up with a contested roll, or having them push their grappler away with their action.
Being able to just lock-down someone for free? When you've got advantage on the attack? Shiggy diggy.

The UA for that thing is not balanced either. But at least it is given to one of the shittiest sub-classes (bladelock).

>rogues offer numerous ways to get advantage all the time
You're right, but they don't also stop the person from moving. And they require bonus actions to do so.
>>
>>53464060
1.) Large creatures auto break grapple
2.) Other classes must USE their action (or part of action) to do so, yours is a free rider
3.) Hit flying dragon with a chair, dragon's speed is 0, dragon falls
>>
>>53461845
I'm trying something different next time.

41 point buy, no ASIs (only feats). And you can buy stuff up to 20 instead of 16.

Why 41? That's what the standard array with two ASIs in your primary attribute is worth in PB.

Should make things a bit easier for more MAD builds.
>>
>>53464146
why do you hate fighters?
>>
>>53464146
Let it go up to 19, not 20. Then they have to take a feat that puts a point into their preferred skill.
>>
>>53464162
What fighter spends a ton of ASIs on secondary ability scores? Their primary is already maxed.
>>
>>53464199
Ones for whom the OPTIONAL RULE of feats are not an option.
>>
>>53463058
But the guy's work isn't official homebrew and he doesn't understand the game. His work is just shit.
>>
>>53464223
Tbh if I were not able to use feats I wouldn't use a fighter.
I would maybe play a monk since they need to use all the ASIs for the most part.
>>
>>53464223
it's his game, anon, he's allowing feats.

but more importantly, >>53464199
Fighter gets 7 ASI's, what the hell are they going to spend those on?
>>
>>53464269
SEVEN FEATS, YOUR HIGHNESS

SEVEN

FEATS
>>
>>53464286
YEAH, NO SHIT! BUT WHAT FUCKING FEATS? MOST FIGHTERS ONLY NEED TWO!

What are they going to pick? Fucking ACTOR?
>>
>>53464303
What kind of fighter are they?
>>
Can anyone exxplain to me how the fuck Magic Jar is supposed to work?

Do you get the creature's hit points? Hit Die are technically a class feature
And when you die in its body and return to your own, are you at full life? Technically, your body took 0 damage
>>
>>53464303
play dwarf, take grudgebearer 5 times
>>
File: 1495818177609.jpg (29KB, 479x335px) Image search: [Google]
1495818177609.jpg
29KB, 479x335px
>get past 1st encounter of module
>realise I have to actually study and prepare this shit while frantically flipping through pages
>>
>>53464269
>>53464223
>Optional rule of feats.
I already said feats were allowed in said campaign. Do you think I'm going to disallow feats to some of the players playing fighters but not others?

>>53464269
No idea what they'll spend them on. But the players have said they *really* want the feats. When they feel a need to spend an ASI on ability scores they tell me they wish they had something interesting instead. so the fighter gets 7 feats. The guy building a fighter is ecstatic about it.
>>
>>53464303
Okay, so we make a table of all the feats and whenever anyone levels up, they roll and get a random feat. If they get a roll they've already got, they get to pick the one above or below the spot they landed on.
>>
>>53464303
Tough
GWM
PAM
Sentinel
Heavy armor master
blade mastery
lucky
martial adept

A fighter can easily benefit from all of these.
>>
>>53464373
>Not reading and preparing
Pleb
Thread posts: 460
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.