[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Shadowrun

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 6

so I'm a season 3.5 D.M and i had a player ask me to run a shadow run game. I HAVE NO IDEA WHERE TO START but i would like to run a game
>>
>>53451062
Read the book. Stare blankly into space. Read the book again. Drink some whiskey, it helps. Read the book again. Watch Blade Runner, Total Recall, Terminator, stop by the Shadowrun general thread on this prussian lizard taming forum and ask whatever question you have. Then read the book again.
In all seriousness, Shadowrun is much more about tone and presentation than mechanics. There's also a good writeup in the general that really hammers home the differences between 3.x and shadowrun. Have fun, you got a lot of reading to do!
>>
>>53451294
damn right

Especially so because the rules are so poorly edited
>>
>>53451294
>Watch Blade Runner, Total Recall, Terminator
Strange Days, Cypher, Fast & Furious 7, Ghost In The Shell ...
>>
>>53451062
http://www.shadowruntabletop.com/missions/background/
>>
>>53451062
What edition are you running? Because if it's 4th or 5th god help you figuring this crap out.
First thing to do is go to /srg/ and ask for the cheat sheets.
>>
File: tumblr_n1eajybDnr1r6oak3o1_500.gif (74KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n1eajybDnr1r6oak3o1_500.gif
74KB, 480x270px
thank guys witch book should i start in
>>
5th i think whatever is good
>>
>>53451645
Good luck. Shadowrun's a fucking mess of a system. Well, I shouldn't say that. It's a mess of four systems held together by spit. But you should be used to that from D&D, so just ignore the rules and run it however you feel. It's not important as long as you and your players have a great time.
>>
>>53451591
The core book.
>>
File: the-herk-mystery-men-rusted.jpg (62KB, 720x456px) Image search: [Google]
the-herk-mystery-men-rusted.jpg
62KB, 720x456px
are there any module books I should pick up first and are there any I should stay away from
>>
>>53452177
Eh, they're all good. Just beware of the difference between editions.

Honestly it isn't quite as bad as others make it out to be. I'd recommend using some form of battle mat for combat, the system practically demands it. Also try to stay away from hacking and the astral plane for your first foray. If your players want to be 1337 haxxors, then I recommend hand waving a lot of the matrix rules.
>>
>>53452177
If you are looking for a good first starting mission to bring your runners together, always use the Food Fight module. It's great for learning how to play since its got a little bit of everything. Also, nothing brings runners closer together than an incidental gunfight in a future 7/11.
>>
Anybody here got the collector edition version of the expansion books ? I'm curious about their quality, especially the binding.
>>
>>53452870
Shadowrun General would be a better place to ask that question.
>>
File: 1489585838493.png (80KB, 178x231px) Image search: [Google]
1489585838493.png
80KB, 178x231px
>>53451062
FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY, DO NOT. I REPEAT. DO NOT ALLOW SPLATBOOKS FOR YOUR FIRST GAME. JUST STICK WITH CORE.

I love Shadowrun, but Christ allmighty it is a clusterfuck of a system, especially with how poorly the books are laid out and how each splat only makes it more complex.

Also, there is a program called Chummer, force your players to use it. It's a beautiful app that makes tracking things like Karma, loot, and Nuyen stressfree.
>>
>>53453269
Didn't notice one was up at that moment.
>>
File: burnout mage.jpg (80KB, 528x1200px) Image search: [Google]
burnout mage.jpg
80KB, 528x1200px
>>53451294
>Watch Blade Runner, Total Recall, Terminator
Don't forget Big Trouble in Little China, Escape from New York, Johnny Mnemonic, Akira, Hackers, Highlander, Hardcore Henry and the Fifth Element.

>>53451062
It's important to remember
>As much as you can try and pretend Shadowrun is a serious cyberpunk it still has elves and wizards
>Shadowrun is a ridiculous setting played straight
>If you aren't down for that you will have a much better time with Cyberpunk 2020 or GURPs Cyberpunk or any saner system and setting
Use 4th or 5th addition crunch and 3rd edition style.
Foodfight is pretty classic introductory scenario.

Also the remember the characters are very explicitly mercenaries. Generally they will be chosen for jobs that fit their teams abilities. Use the first couple of missions to fine tune the challenge level for the party. It's not a problem if they have a few milk runs to start or have to back down at least once. But on that note:
Make sure you're players know they don't have to pick or finish every fight. Completing the mission alive comes first. You don't get XP for kills.
Of course they asked for this so they probably know that.

When in doubt remember the core: Skill+Attribute(+other modifiers) roll that many dice and count the number of 5s and 6s,, these are hits. 3 is human average so rent-a-cops roll 6, human level badasses roll 12. 1 is easy 2 is medium 3 is hard 4 is extreme, the character ether needs to roll these many hits OR more than the other guy rolls. Most of the system runs on this so it's always a good fallback if you don't know hot to rule something. Most of the finicky bits come with the (+other modifiers) the core itself is fairly simple.
Go core first and run until you feel comfortable, you'll make loads of mistakes but your game will very likely hold together. Add splatbooks when your players feel ready to make new characters.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.