[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Fifth (Snek Attack) Edition General:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 372
Thread images: 30

File: goc5MPXsGks.jpg (264KB, 1168x789px) Image search: [Google]
goc5MPXsGks.jpg
264KB, 1168x789px
D&D 5th Edition General Discussion

>Download Unearthed Arcana: Revised Subclasses:
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-RevisedSubclasses.pdf

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
https://mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously, on /5eg/: >>53432081
>>
>>53441331
Evard's Black Tentacles should give bonuses against women
>>
I want to start DMing 5e, currently trying to understand how to balance it. My last DM has basically redone and expanded 3.5e to his own liking, including HP/BAB/class features. I have restricted some stuff to players, like multiclassing, Magic Initiate, fixed Crossbow Expert and Magical Secrets, read through some grapple and Angry DM monster building guides… getting a feeling that I'll still have to work with the system for a couple months and build a dozen characters myself before getting a mediocre grasp on it in terms of all class (features) level balance.

Am I overthinking? How long did you work with 5e before launching and finishing your first successful campaign using it?
>>
File: DaemonsandDevils.png (129KB, 784x577px) Image search: [Google]
DaemonsandDevils.png
129KB, 784x577px
What's appropriate to add to this list of summonables?
>>
I feel like I'm not understanding the hexblade warlock, what exactly makes it good?
>>
>>53441421
>fixed Crossbow Expert
What did you mean by this?
>>
>>53441421
The game runs fine out the box, like all that sutff isn't needed at all.

Are there some classes and builds better then others? Yeah. Will you ever be completely worthless just because you wanted to Dual-Wield or play a Monk? No.

Nothing needs nerfing. Maybe you need to buff one or two options but that's about it.
>>
>>53441461
CHA weapons, crit on a 19, actual armor proficiencies.
>>
>>53441421
You are overthinking it, 5e is one of the, if not the, most basic system of D&D. It's streamlined instead of having a huge amount of options with only a handful worth anything.

Things to watch out for are certain interactions you can do with feats, but most martials need feats to stay competitive. PHB ranger is garbage and WotC even made a revised ranger and told people to use that instead. Wot4E monk archetype is another garbage option that hasn't been fixed outside of third party attempts.

Monsters lose in the action economy, especially starting around level five where players start getting extra attack, balance encounters by never leaving your big bad alone because he will be held down and throat fucked unless the party is rolling like ass.
>>
>>53441421
Use the revised ranger from UA.
>>
File: Fiendish-Spirit-Naga.jpg (55KB, 774x938px) Image search: [Google]
Fiendish-Spirit-Naga.jpg
55KB, 774x938px
NAME THIS SNEK
>>
Need to know if this is too much of a dick move.
DMing Lost Mine of Phandelver for my friends (all new players), last session they successfully made it through the Redbrand hideout without much trouble and found the secret way to Glasstaff, they took him alive and left without fighting any of the Bugbears or Redbrands. They left him with Sildar and have spent the past 5 or so days doing the side quests.

I'm very tempted to have them return to the town destroyed and raided by the remaining Redbrands (with them have taken hostages to the mountains) or at least have had them free glasstaff and killed Sildar.
Thoughts?
>>
>>53441576
Also should add, classes are heavily front loaded since WotC did surveys and feel hardly, if any, games go past ~level 10-12. Common dips are cleric from spellcasters for armor proficiency, warlock for Eldritch Blast and some perks depending on who deep a person is willing to dip, fighter for action surge at level two and sorcerer for meta magics.

If you pay attention to the threads or ask you'll be told the really strong multiclassing builds, but remember multiclassing is optional so you can just say no along with feats.
>>
>>53441627
Sally.
>>
I've decided to try homebrewing some more. I'd like to build up a rogueish archetype to emulate the acrobatic feats in the pirates of the Caribbean movies. None of the current archetypes currently fit. The swashbuckler comes close I suppose, but doesn't really reward or enable acrobatic feats.
>>
Gimme an uncommon Race-Class combo lads. Making a character for a one shot a friend is DMing. Let's come up with something silly (not STUPID, and definitely not INEFFECTIVE)
>>
>>53441475
slapped a "crossbow used for bonus attack cannot be the same as one used for the regular attack" addition on it, which should deny building a 3-attack fighter on level 5.

>>53441576
Thanks, will look the revised ranger up.

As for the action economy, I have some thoughts how to deal with it but this needs more work for playtest results.
>>
>>53441630
Major dick move. Would you consider having them return to town to see Sildar and some commoners locked in battle with the remaining Redbrands?
>>
>>53441630
Redbrands attacked people, kidnapped some, asked around for Glassstaff but no-one talked. The town is afraid but trusts the PCs. One night some random townsfolk tells them what happened. Town joins in on an uprising.

Then you can go on full army clash with lots of death.
>>
>>53441681
strongly open to it, the only reason i'm considering it is that they would have been gone for 6 or 7 days by now. Also one of the redbrands was locked in the jail but they were told he would be released in 2 days because the mayor is a coward
>>
What ki d of character arc would be more fitting for a Tiefling Cossack that is a former explorator/conquistator of NotSiberia?
>>
Does anyone have the slime warlock pdf?
>>
>>53441710
>but they were told he would be released in 2 days because the mayor is a coward
He'll be emboldened by the gang's leader being arrested.
>only reason i'm considering it is that they would have been gone for 6 or 7 days by now
Say it's not the first time they've attacked. Some villagers have been killed, some Redbrands hurt as well. A home burned down. Maybe a bugbear left for Cragmaw Castle to request reinforcements (and was denied).
>>
>>53441667
>which should deny building a 3-attack fighter on level 5.

RAW this isnt possible anyways lol
>>
>>53441461
Is anyone claiming it's particularly good?

The way I see it, it gives bladelocks an option to be mono warlock without much MAD.

It's not amazing though. Fighter 1/Fiend Bladelock X is probably more effective. Proficient in Con saves, heavy armor without needing a feat, some self healing, and using a 2-handed weapon means you can do somatic components without War Caster (Hexblade seems more oriented towards sword and shield since you can only use Cha for 1HW).

By the way, how is the Lifedrinker evocation supposed to work if you're already using Cha as your modifier?
>>
>>53441663
Halfling Monk
>>
>>53441461
It's a good compliment to the bladelock. But the best are the invocations included in the same UA.
>>
>>53441667
>slapped a "crossbow used for bonus attack cannot be the same as one used for the regular attack" addition on it, which should deny building a 3-attack fighter on level 5.
It's a perfectly fine thing to do though. Dual-Wielding does the same, PAM does the same GWM does similar but better.

Really it's not that big of a concern balance wise because the trade off is you're using a gay little crossbow people can make penis jokes about.
>>
>>53441741
How come? If I'm reading this right, you dual wield hand crossbows with the Crossbow Expert feat, and you can attack three times on Level 5.
Once with main hand crossbow, then the off-hand crossbow, then use your Extra attack you get at level 5 and ignore the loading property of the crossbow because of the feat.
>>
>>53441667
That doesn't work though. You need a free hand to load your crossbow.

I mean, this just makes that part of the feat do nothing, right?
>>
>>53441667
>which should deny building a 3-attack fighter on level 5.
It's with Hand Crossbows, man. An extra d6 isn't game-breaking at level 5. And a dual-wielding 5th level fighter has 3 attacks anyway.
>>
>>53441421
You don't need to overthink this edition that much, 5e as a system just works out of the box and works well.
>>
>>53441745
>By the way, how is the Lifedrinker evocation supposed to work if you're already using Cha as your modifier?
Double modifier.

Also personally I think the best Hexblade build is probably Quarterstaff PAM. Getting the double Charisma on every strike is pretty good.
>>
>>53441740
Might go with this, I was already considering having the bugbears show up with the prisoners from the hideout instead of the war band (the players are currently at Cragmaw Castle). Thanks for the input
>>
>>53441789
Maybe try reading Sage Advice, friendo. http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/sageadvice_feats
>>
>>53441370
anywhere between 3 and 10. It hardly matters, really, but I'd say about 6 is a fine number.
>>
Give me your house rules that doesn't piss /tg/ off. At least try.

>You can grapple as an opportunity attack.
>>
>>53441826
Monks can use Dexterity (Athletics) for Grapples and Shoves.
>>
>>53441461
Armour proficiency gives you essentially +4/+5 AC simply for picking the archetype and then it gives you a free better hex and some of the later features are boss killers like '50% chance boss doesn't hit you when they should'
>>
>>53441421
>There are people that think crossbow expert and PAM are the issue
>Not Sharpshooter and GMW
>>
>>53441826
>You can grapple as an opportunity attack
Can you be my DM?
>>
>>53441826
This is probably fine because you require a hand free to attempt grappling in the first place.
>>
>>53441837
Once you get the at-will Curse + PAM Quarterstaff dealing double Charisma on damage + elemental weapon... Well let's just say it deals pretty fucking great damage.
>>
>>53441657
Try going for a Superiority dice approach where acrobatic maneuvers can give unique effects such as disarm, trip, taunt, precision and evasion.

Evasion. roll 1d8+dex. Add that to your AC until you stop moving. This is not a free action or an action, its an ability so this can be used to give you a boost to AC while running past 5+ enemies.
Extrapolate from here.
>>
>>53441789
You do it with a single HC, with a hand free to reload.

At lv5 it's like this:
-Attack with HC. Reload is part of the action.
-You attacked with a light weapon and are holding a loaded HC. You can bonus attack with it.
-Second attack.

3 attacks with one, not two.
>>
>>53441663
HillDwarf Barbarian. with that HP feat if you're starting above 4th lvl and pump Con. You can call yourself 'Meat Dan the Meatman'.
>>
>Playing an evo wizard specifically so I can aoe into allies
>DM lets sorcerer do to
>They don't even have careful spell
oh, ok
>>
>>53441863
I was thinking of taking this direction. Potentially as an alternate use for sneak attack die. But scaling would be an issue then.
>>
>>53441893
Yer still a wizard 'arry. Let the sorcerer have some fun.
>>
>>53441892

>fight with nothing but handaxes
>gain sharpshooter
>call yourself hambo
>>
>>53441475
The reload rules, of course. I don't want dual-wielding hand crossbows in my game.
>>
>>53441932
Why not?
>>
>>53441932
>I don't want dual-wielding hand crossbows in my game.
That's not possible to do with or without the feat, you have to have a free hand to reload a hand crossbow
>>
Hey guys, I asked last thread but then it died, I just made a V. Human revised ranger deep stalker and he's level 4 now. I took dual wielder as my free feat but I'm wondering if I should up my Dex to 20, up my wisdom to 18 or take another feat like mobile/sharpshooter or something?
>>
>>53441806
Can't you use a single hand crossbow? attack (with extra attack option) + bonus action (crossbow expert).

>>53441843
Have yet to analyze GWM. I've restricted variant human so 2 feats at lv. 4 shouldn't be an issue.

>>53441807
>>53441778
Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of – small fixes like this just look bad, I need to see the big picture by fucking with Excel for a while, which might be happening after all.

>>53441951
Dual wielding ranged (unless thrown) weapons isn't possible by RAW, weirdly: p 195 PHB, TWO-WEAPON FIGHTING – "When you take the Attack action and attack with a light \melee\ weapon that you're holding in one hand, you can use a bonus action to attack with a different light \melee\ weapon that you're holding in the other hand. You don't add your ability modifier to the damage of the bonus attack, unless that modifier is negative.
If either weapon has the thrown property, you can throw the weapon, instead of making a melee attack with it."
>>
I'm going to run Curse of Strahd soon, but I have not yet finished reading the entire module. I was skipping around just absorbing some of the CoS lore, when I read the passage about Ezmerelda D'Avenir being moved that Von Richten didn't attack her people. This seems to conflict with the letter where he explains her let the zombies loose on his son's captors. Clearly I am missing something, could someonr give me a quick run down? Did Von Richten modify her memory?
>>
>>53441934
Crossbow uzis in my generic? No, dude.
>>53441951
Pirate style 6-HC bandoliers? Not keen on that, either.
>>
>>53441421

>Am I overthinking? How long did you work with 5e before launching and finishing your first successful campaign using it?

Way overthinking. If you haven't run the game as a DM then don't even use multiclassing or feats and definitely don't try to make your own monsters. Focus on making a coherent plot and it will be interesting even if you only use the human npc statblocks in the back of the monster manual.
>>
>Playing an evo wizard specifically so I can aoe into allies
And it was at that moment you fucked up.
Your opinions are wrong because you have shit taste.
>>
>>53441627
Betty Fright
>>
>>53441627
Ss'hcalla
>>
>>53441826

>Artíficers are half casters
>Beguiling Influence grants Warlocks expertise in Persuasion and Deception if they had proficiency in that prior skill
>The Tome of Shadows invocation grants the Warlock all Warlock Ritual Spells off the bat.
>The Pact of The Blade option allows you to shape your Pact Weapon into an Improvised Weapon with which you are proficient in. As such, if you were to shape into something like an instrument or a paint brush, you are automatically proficient in playing or painting with it.
>Drinking a potion is a bonus action. Feeding it is an action
>>
>>53441997
>"When you take the Attack action and attack with a light \melee\ weapon that you're holding in one hand, you can use a bonus action to attack with a different light \melee\ weapon that you're holding in the other hand.

That's silly. Why couldn't I reload a crossbow, then reload another one, then dual wield them and drop one to reload the other one. Or just throw them away after firing.

Luckily our DM rarely plays by RAW.
>>
>>53441630
That would be unfun if I was a player, "you found the secret and nonlethally dealt with the quest in a creative way? Everyone you know dies and I'm punishing you for it." This is where it turns from being more realistic to being less fun
>>
Alright lads I have a problem, as a forever DM one of my players has offered to run a campaign, he has some experience but not a huge amount. Now the issue is after Critical Role's battle royal shit show, and him asking questions about how barbarians work, he has decided they are broken. Unfortunately his GF is playing, not worried about favoritism because he corrects her even in my game, a barbarian as well so his exact statement was:
>I'm just gonna have to throw twice as much at the party now and they will die.

Party is as follows:
>Inexperienced wizard looking at diviner/transmutation/necromancer
>Inexperienced Bard(my younger brother so I can more easily help him build) most likely lore last I heard
>A ranger using one for the touch of class options that the new DM bought and is allowing
>GF who most likely will go frenzy

Now I'm already in the world as a Goliath barbarian, was planning totem, and need the best build 27 point can buy to help keep this shit show to a minimum and try to help others through it.

Multiclassing is on the table along with feats, and already starting off with a glaive to use PAM.
>>
>>53441826
>When you roll a critical hit, your character's theme song plays.
>>
>>53442030
There's 3 Vistani nations and within those nations, a shit load of tribes, and within those tribes, a crap load of families.

The ones who took Erasmus are the Carvara tribe, Ezmerelda is probably a Manusa
>>
>>53441663
Dragonborn warlock. Breath weapon is kind of like a third spell.
>>
File: 1434934840148.jpg (67KB, 441x705px) Image search: [Google]
1434934840148.jpg
67KB, 441x705px
>>53441630

Literally why
>>
>>53442156
The question is, does being proficient in using a paintbrush make you a good painter or do you still need proficiency in art to make a mona lisa or does the paintbrush do that themself?

I kind of imagine if the paintbrush does it itself it'd make demonic pictures or as an instrument more dark and meanacing music.
>>
>>53442190
Dragon born Warlock of Tiamat isn't that unheard of
>>
>>53442047
Your generic fantasy probably includes dinobots. Why can't an artificer make a self loading crossbow?
>>
>>53441627
My ex GF
>>
>>53442204
It makes you as proficient with the paint brush as you'd be if you were actually proficient with it. Some demonic influence is there, but the theme is an "Idle Hands are the devil's playthings" type of deal.
>>
>>53442172
I can definitely see that which is why i was just toying with the idea, however I honestly think they would like it, but it is too severe.

>>53442191
Just made sense to me instead of leaving 10 Redbrands and 4 bugbears with their thumbs up their asses after their leader goes missing, but i guess it is too realistic
>>
>>53442179
>Critical Role's battle royal shit show
that meme show had a battle royal? that's hilarious and gives so many people bad ideas.
>>
>>53442179
>he has decided they are broken.
>I'm just gonna have to throw twice as much at the party now and they will die.
Wew lad. Honestly I'd just try and convince him that he's being silly. Classes are not meant to fight each other, so of course they won't be balanced against each other in a battle royale situation. Most importantly you should tell him that each class fills a different role in the party, and the barbarian's role is not "Be impossible to kill", but "Tank by absorbing damage for their allies".

Besides there are much better ways to deal with barbarians than HP damage, primarily control spells that target mental saves. Hold Person being probably the best example.
>>
>>53442256
So proficiency with a paintbrush only makes you good at one aspect of painting (i.e. not colouring outside the lines) but means you still suck at the rest of it (not the right mindset to replicate things you see on a portrait)?
>>
>>53441630
Giant dick move, in my opinion.

>>53442266
Wouldn't make more sense to have a power struggle in the gang where the bugbears try to take over because they're the biggest and the strongest, while the Redbrand guys obviously don't want that? These guys sound like bandits and raiders, not exactly the type to rescue their leader after he's gotten himself captured.
>>
>>53442266
Why wouldn't they devolve to infighting for who is the new top dog?

Don't punish the players for being creative and getting around encounters, if they can pull it off good for them, if they fuck up mid way then they're surrounded and fucked.
>>
>>53442266

>i guess it is too realistic

Bugbears are chaotic evil. It would be realistic for them to start murdering the Redbrands if there isn't a stronger creature, like Glasstaff, who can stop them.
>>
Is there a good 5e character generator? Not that making characters is particularly difficult I just want to hurry the process along.
>>
What the fuck do I use Constitution checks for?
>>
>>53442266
>gee there's like 14 creatures left time to destroy an ENTIRE TOWN

I'll admit I don't know whether that's actually a town or a village or a hamlet though.

Not to mention there's no real reason bandits would completely destroy something they could leech off of instead?
>>
>>53442333
Hangovers.
>>
>>53442333

Mostly saving throws against poison, stuns, concentration, etc.
>>
>>53442286
Yes, it's a very Technique over Talent type of thing.

It works the same way as when you use your pact weapon to shape it into a nunchaku or something.
>>
>>53442333
Save or Die
>>
>>53442282
It was, Travis started playing smart and nearly won it all by killing Percy, Vex then Keyleth, lost to Tarry because he failed his Constitution save to drop to one instead of dying. Even worse is he used a deck of many things mid battle and got two cards that don't matter ruin and the NPC turning one, then a +2 stat, rare or rarer magic item and a lvl 4 fighter.

I can see people now shoehorning in a battle royal in an alternate universe and granting boons for the winner, which Mercer suggested might happen when everyone is there and level 20 at the end of their campaign.

>>53442283
That might work, if I hadn't already planned a somewhat smart barb with Cha as dump.
>>
>>53442333
A long-distance race.
>>
>>53442333
poisons, diseases, tests of endurance
>>
File: Diabolist.pdf (577KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Diabolist.pdf
577KB, 1x1px
What would you guys do to fix the Diabolist?
Supposed to be a summoner type but other abilities don't synergize aside from the heal of Necromantic Touch. Basically seemed like they smashed some warlock abilities together (telepathy + familiar + ritual spells + temp hp on necrotouch kill)

>inb4 just play warlock, I like some of the summon options- shadows and ghosts etc
>>
>>53442333
Navigating in extreme conditions.
>>
>>53442364
Should add Mercer stated it would carry over to the new campaign.
>>
>>53442364
>lost to Tarry
As a bard player in a group of murderhobos, I actually loved that bit
>>
>>53442316
Why? Creating characters in 5e is a breeze.
>>
>>53442295
>>53442296
>>53442309
Went with the bugbears leaving with the prisoners and the redbrands scattering off to who knows where
>>53442347
It was more so take what they can and leave before the party gets back, they were just leeching before they arrived
>>
>>53442379
>I like some of the really powerful summoning options

Well no shit you do
>>
>>53442316
Orcpub has a random generator and there's tons of pregenerated characters floating around on the internet.
>>
>>53442418
I'm giving up real spellcasting and fighter stuff in exchange for one companion tho, course I'd like powerful summons
>>
>>53442416

Glad you decided on a better ending for the players
>>
File: 50e35da03bcb917f48bc8de1e2829ffe.jpg (441KB, 900x1054px) Image search: [Google]
50e35da03bcb917f48bc8de1e2829ffe.jpg
441KB, 900x1054px
>>53441331
Hey, does anyone have a free pdf of this? http://www.dmsguild.com/product/196744/the-Vampire-Prestige-Class-for-DD-5e

Or any good vampire homebrew, i want my oathbreaker paladin to become a vampire, probably through a prestige class
>>
>>53442416
It'd be a perfectly reasonable thing to do if it's still on the party's level if it's a case of the redbrands being disorganised and more haphazard than usual. Just not destroying everything, merely taking some stuff and leaving with a minimal number of losses. If it's at the party's level, the party can go deal with it. If it's below the party, someone else can deal with it or only a few partymembers sometime they're free. Or they can handle it along the way to something.

It's not bad to have it come bite them back in the ass, but it's bad to have it completely devour their ass. And it'd have a suitably interesting reason about the players having destabilized their usual routine, if that's true. Just hopefully not 'uhh, bandits are angry I guess'.
>>
How similar are tabaxi to previous editions's catfolk
>>
>>53442316
There are literally quick builds in the book, and an unearthed arcana for quick builds.
>>
File: 1495752134040.jpg (1MB, 1609x1067px) Image search: [Google]
1495752134040.jpg
1MB, 1609x1067px
Is this Chult or Dinotopia?
>>
>>53442529
Chult from what most people have said.
>>
>>53442491
I have 6 players at level 3 currently they would be able to deal with it pretty easily.

At the most severe I was planning on them raiding the inn and the townhall before fleeing into the mountains with a prisoner or two. I worded the original post very badly looking back
>>
>>53442588
Well, yeah. It kinda works out.

As long as it can be suitably explained why they'd want to put themselves in that danger to take a hostage and need that hostage enough.
>>
>>53442529
It's damn inefficient mounts is what considering all that meat they'll have to feat their mounts.
>>
Is open hand still the best monk?
>>
>>53442642
>Dinosaurs are inefficient mounts
>In a setting where dragons and giants exist and have to eat
Let's not go there
>>
>>53442156
>Drinking a potion is a bonus action. Feeding it is an action
We play with this rule in particular, too.

Sorta nerfs Thief Rogues, but that's whatever.
>>
>>53442642
They can just have dinosaur livestock, easy fix
>>
>>53442551
I was so hyped for a Dinotopia CS.
>>
>>53442688
Re-buff 'em by allowing them to count magic items as using an object.
>>
>>53442642
>Hmmmm what are we going to feed this giant dinosaur?
>*Different dinosaur walks by behind them*
>Hmmmm it's gonna take alot of meat to feed it.
>*Another dinosaur walks by in the background*
>Oh well I guess this is just pointless, there's nothing big enough to efficiently feed it. *shrugs and wanders of gets stepped on by another dinosaur.*
>>
>>53441979
Also I was thinking sentinel could be useful too
>>
>>53442356
>>53442363
>>53442377
>Constitution checks
>Checks
>>
Why don't you use alter self for magical realm purposes /5eg/?
>>
>>53441421
you are massively over thinking this. Just run the game as is. There are only a few things that might be problems straight out of the players handbook. And really, don't worry about them unless someone specifically wants to use them - like the beastmaster ranger.
>>
>>53442871
>Hold your breath
>March or labor for hours without rest
>Go without sleep
>Survive without food or water
>Quaff an entire stein of ale in one go

Straight from the SRD, it definitely would help if people could read.
>>
>>53441826
>Ranger and Paladin learn 2 cantrips from the Sorcerrer list and treat them as Ranger or Paladin spells.
>Monks get to have a d10 Hp die and FOB deals 3 hits once your character reaches lvl 11.
>Sorcerrers learn all metamagics at lvl 3 and gain Wis and Dex saving throw proficiencies at lvl 10 and Arcana proficiency/Expertise + Wizard rituals at lvl 17.
>>
>>53442910
Why not the druid and cleric spell lists respectively anon?
>>
>>53442879
Because I'm not playing an erotic game, also my magical realm gets worked in naturally in the form of tall, strong women, think Zarya for reference.
>>
>>53442948
I'd prefer to think of amazonians but I guess Zarya is a decent example
>>
File: 1494567168363.jpg (30KB, 634x351px) Image search: [Google]
1494567168363.jpg
30KB, 634x351px
>>53442965
Some people are starting to think when I saw amazonian I mean the new Wonder Woman. Also others go for cartoonishly big and tall where Lyris and Zarya hit that perfect spot.
>>
>>53442316
http://whothefuckismydndcharacter.com/

You are
>HATEFUL ELF WIZARD FROM THE CITY OF LIGHTS WHO IS SEARCHING FOR A RARE FERTILITY HERB
>>
>>53442769
Feeding it wild dinosaurs isn't efficient compared to feeding it grass that humans can't eat anyway.

You'd run out of wild dinosaurs eventually.
>>
>>53442879
My magical realm consists of capable adventurers looting dungeons and slaying dragons.
>>
>>53442946
They'd both always take guidance and something. Guidance is better left for clerics/druids really.
>>
>>53442910
I like the d10 Monk hit die. If you're looking for better damage from Monks, I suggest the Monk's old scaling unarmed damage from before it was nerfed. Used to start at d6 and scale up to d12 by 17.
>>
>>53442946
Meh i feel like they both benefit more from their spellsword characteristic so the Sorcerrer list is a better choice for cantrips.
>>
>>53443064
Well with alter self they can loot dungeons in all sorts of clever ways
>>
>>53443049
>Wild
>Not rounding some up and using them like cattle
>Especially so you can take the ones more capable of fighting

It's like you hate fun or something
>>
>>53443069
The old Martial Arts scaling wasn't good either since it was fairly unballanced at lower levels.

I say this would be fine:

LvL 1-4 = 1d4
LvL 5-8 = 1d6
LvL 9-13 = 1d8
LvL 14-18 = 1d10
LvL 19&20 = 1d12
>>
>>53443122
And a single did with plant growth would fix the "lack of plants" problem
>>
>>53443196
*druid
>>
>>53442316

There's a good 5e Character app on android. I use that.
>>
Dumb question - do exhaustion or other effects persist between sessions in adventuruererers league?
>>
>>53443049
You do know there were herbivorous dinosaurs just as capable of eating grass as horses are right?
>>
>>53443196
I can see it now, dinosaurs are used for their higher yield of meat. It becomes an exotic dish in forgein lands, make more and more room for new business and feeding own people, start coming into conflict with local druids and not!PETA.
>>
>>53443367
We were talking about carnivorous dinosaurs, his claim is it'd be inefficient.

He's wrong because herbivorous ones exist and can be captured just like the others. Turn the herbivores into some beasts of burden others into food for population and carnivorous dinosaurs.
>>
>>53441826
Sorcerers use spell points, which are combined with sorcery points and called the latter. They get the total number of both for their level. They're still probably worse than wizards, but at least they're different now.
>>
>>53443466
Oh. Then they'd be just as inefficient as wolf mounts, or bear mounts, or whatever carnivore your ranger has decided to bring along.
>>
>>53443122
Well then. You now use them as cattle.
So why don't you ride them or use them as food instead of having another creature eat them and then use that creature as a mount?
>>
>>53441421
>Pretty much read through it once
>Play it by the books, but buff carrying capacity
>Use official stat blocks for mobs, but swap out special abilities / equipment to flavour
>Make up magic items on the go
>>
>>53443525
You do, but you get the carnivorous ones more for mounts of battle and intimidation, so you have both and feed one with the other. It's an industry that can have huge possibilities.

>>53443505
This guy is catching on
>>
>>53441826
Death saves are made in seekrit
>>
Player handbook is on sale for $35, is that a good deal?
>>
How many books do you buy?
>>
>>53443589
Any deal that involves rewarding WotC financially for the shit they've put out is a bad deal. Just use the OP site.
>>
>>53443608
Personally only bought the PHB and the DMG, got the MM as a gift. All the others I know 5eg will have it sooner or later.
>>
>>53441421
I'd say that for crossbow expert you shouldn't allow adding of DEX to damage for the bonus attack if you don't trigger it with a melee attack and to allow loading hand crossbows while holding a weapon in the other hand as currently you can't load hand crossbows with a weapon in the other hand.

Generally I'd say if you haven't played 5e for a good length of time and don't have a properly thorough understanding of it you should avoid fucking with too many rules. Instead of restricting a load of things, just try to discourage players from doing it I guess or at least ask them not to use it in an obnoxious way.

Multiclassing really isn't that bad, you just have to restrict the most bullshit of UA multiclasses and maybe be a bit cautious about some specific things like fighter sorlock.
>>
>>53443589
It's good if only for the fact that I personally never see D&D shit on sale except out of date AL modules
>>
>>53443580
But it's less a load less efficient, especially if you breed them on a military scale. In the real world they at least used elephants like that which aren't exactly t-rexes in terms of diet. And even then most people still ended up using horses which could easily be left to graze the fields without having to have rotting dinosaur carcasses everywhere as you travel between sttables.

I don't think it can be truly realistic, but as other people have said it's a world where there's giants and shit without food crises so eh.
>>
>>53443699
That's my point exactly, it's D&D giving a basic explanation is all you need because it's fucking magic.
>>
>>53443608
PHB, MM, DMG, and Curse of Strahd myself
>>
>>53442179
Update I need the best spell list and build for a lore bard to help survive the shit show that is going to be this campaign.
>>
>>53443608
Core. Might pick up Volo's because more monsters is always good even if I prefer statting up monsters myself.
>>
>>53440087
Colossus slayer only triggers on wounded enemies, so when you're the first one to attack an enemy it'll trigger much more often when you have a bonus attack.

+1 attack is more noticeable the fewer attacks you have, but its absolute value is just whatever that one attack is worth. TWF has the lowest damage for an individual attack.
>>53440089
You'll be fine, though ranged deep stalker is generally stronger. Melee and twf doesn't get as much benefit from the deep stalker's stealth abilities.
>>
>>53443959
Awesome, thanks for the input m8. I was thinking about it backwards, I thought their stealth and ambush abilities would making closing the distance easier for surprise attacks
>>
>>53443044
>HATEFUL ELF WIZARD
>SEARCHING FOR A RARE FERTILITY HERB
Haha your wizard can't get his dick up!
>>
>>53442316
http://www.orcpub2.com/
>>
>>53443608
0. I'm a jew and the books are all available for pirating.
>>
>>53441826
Any weapon that could normally deal a damage type can.
You can supply somatic, and material components with other items in your hands as long as your hands are not bound.
>>
>>53443044
>Not being an absent-minded tiefling wizard from the worst brothel in town who was exiled by her brother, the king
>>
>>53442642
New 1st level spell: Goodmeat.
Component: Slab of meat
Cuts the meat up into 10 pieces, and has them provide all the meaty goodness one needs for a full day.
>>
>>53444492
that's one hell of an implied backstory.
>>
>>53444501
I just mix 3 goodberries into my Dire Wolf doggo's treats.
>>
>>53443044
>ANXIOUS HALFLING CLERIC FROM AN UNDERWATER MONASTERY WHO LOST THEIR SHADOW IN A BET
What could take someone's shadow?
>>
>>53444586
There's a Bard college for that.
>>
>>53444586
Whispers Bards and the creature named Shadow (if it kills them)
>>
>>53444586
The god of shadows.
>>
>>53444586
A demon, devil, GOO or a god.
>>
Is playing a race with unoptimal stats ok for a monk? Or do I at least want a 2+ in dex so I can go 17 dex 15 wis or a +1 in each to go 16 in both?
>>
>>53444586
>What could take someone's shadow?
Something one should not be making bets with.
>>
>>53444396
I remember in 3.5 you could use a sword's flat side to deal non-lethal damage etc, but it would give you a -4 penalty on the attack roll because it's an improvised weapon.

Now, anyone who has ever even seen a sword would instantly realize that making it an improvised weapon is complete horseshit.
>>
>>53443044
>RESENTFUL TIEFLING WIZARD FROM AN INTERNMENT CAMP WHO ALWAYS REFERS TO INANIMATE OBJECTS AS 'SHE'

Well fuck
>>
>>53444619
Not for a monk, no. Of all classes you could do it on, don't do it on a monk.

Variant human (mobile) is good too.
>>
File: 1495794514099.png (223KB, 413x555px) Image search: [Google]
1495794514099.png
223KB, 413x555px
Thoughts on dumping physical ability scores on casters?
Honestly pisses me right off when a wizard walks in with 16 Dex and Con
>>
>>53444619
Both will do almost equally well. Really, an extra point in stats doesn't make a huge difference.

In this case 16/16 gives you +3/+3 whereas 17/15 gives you only +3/+2. But it depends on what feats you're gonna take. It could be more useful to have odd numbers if you're gonna round them off with feats that give you +1 in a stat.
>>
>>53444700
Just because you're a wizard doesn't mean you can't lift
>>
>>53441863
How about this for a maneuver?

Acrobatic Charge
When you move on your turn, you can spend one superiority die and add it to your AC against opportunity attacks until the end of your turn. Additionally on this turn, you ignore difficult terrain.
>>
File: nat screw.png (6KB, 195x111px) Image search: [Google]
nat screw.png
6KB, 195x111px
>finishing up an encounter
>last orc alive throws down his weapon and attempts to surrender
>Paladin shoves him down stating his intention of restraining the orc
>Barbarian tries to kill the now prone orc
>Paladin announces he's using Protection to cancel out the barbarian's advantage
>Barbarian rolls pic related
>Barbarian's player becomes miffed
Who was in the wrong here?
>>
>>53444758
The orc for being a coward.
>>
>>53444743
You can't lift and study spells at the same time.
>>
>>53444700
High dex and con is absolutely good for casters but not required providing your DM doesn't pull bullshit on you and you're somewhat careful.

Casters have plenty of time in combat to avoid making themselves a target.
>>
>>53444700
I understand that wizards are commonly weak, but why wouldn't they be healthy?
Or dextrous, for that matter; those somatic components aren't a cakewalk.

>>53444758
>Barbarian tries to kill a hostage that can be interrogated despite a party member clearly being in the way
I think you know the answer.
>>
>>53444700
No problem with it but it should be balanced. A Wizard with 16 dex and con is fine but if he also has 18 int, 12 str and 14-16 in wis and cha then that's obviously bullshit.
>>
>>53444776
some of those ancient tomes are pretty heavy, anon.
>>
>>53444710
Wasn't really planning on any feats, it just lets me pick something outside of human, wood elf and Kenku. I'd probably go 18/16 at level 4
>>
>>53444758
The DM for creating an orc that wants to surrender.

Cowardly orcs are bullshit. Fight until you die you pussy.
>>
>>53444586
A better question is who's the sap that won it and what are they going to do with it?
>>
>>53441331
>https://mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS
Is this every possible material?

Also are there campaigns I can play on my own?
>>
File: 1488905656580.jpg (14KB, 480x473px) Image search: [Google]
1488905656580.jpg
14KB, 480x473px
>>53444758
>Warhammer
What, the barbarian actually likes FLAVOUR over more optimal choices refluffed as warhammers?
Look at him, look at him and laugh.
>>
Hey look, another garbage Feat idea.

>Improved Breath Weapon (prerequisite- Dragonborn)
>+1 CHA
>After you use your Breath Weapon, roll a d8 on your turn. On a 7 or 8, you regain use of your Breath Weapon. (You also regain use of your Breath Weapon after 1 minute out of combat without needing to roll)
>You can add your CHAmod to your Breath Weapon's damage, (minimum of 0)
>>
>>53444822
Nah, Orcs that recklessly charge and then fight until only one Orc is left who surrenders are bullshit.

Orcs that think a bit more about their fighting and know when to tactically retreat aren't bullshit.

... So actually you're right all along, who knew.
>>
>>53444845
basically a feat for what the breath weapon should have been in the first place.
>>
>>53444700
I like to put at least some bonus in dex/con, strength isn't a huge deal to me though.

A small bonus to AC and a bit of extra health is fairly useful
>>
File: 1492808697779.jpg (98KB, 540x612px) Image search: [Google]
1492808697779.jpg
98KB, 540x612px
>>53444832
Get some friends.
>>
>>53441663
Tieflings would make decent paladins with their high Charisma
>>
>>53444788
>I understand that wizards are commonly weak, but why wouldn't they be healthy?
>Or dextrous, for that matter; those somatic components aren't a cakewalk.

Granted. I guess it's an issue of 6 abilities generalizing everything. Having fine motor skills doesn't mean you have a perfect balance for example.
>>
>>53444822
>Intelligent creature fighting to the death without something important to protect
But why

>>53444834
>taking a -1 to damage for roleplaying reasons when you have +8 from strength/features is a laughable choice
Why don't you go play Pathfinder or something if you like optimizing so much
>>
>>53442400
Interesting, considering he's an Artificer.

I miss Scanlan too
>>
>>53444857
Yeah that's why I slapped a +1 CHA on there despite being a strong buff to it in the first place.
>>
>>53444867
I have a speech deficit.
>>
>>53441576
>5e is one of the, if not the, most basic system of D&D
If you don't count actual Basic D&D yeah
>>
>>53444878
Dexterity was always too many things rolled up in one. So's wisdom and charisma, for that matter, but dexterity is the most serious offender.
2e had a splatbook that split every stat into 2 sub-stats, and let you move a point or two between them. It made a lot more sense but would be hard to convert. Dexterity was balance/accuracy, IIRC. I can try to find my book and work on a conversion if anybody finds it interesting.
>>
>>53443044
>SURLY TIEFLING CLERIC FROM A DROUGHT-STRICKEN FARM WHO IS DOWNRIGHT RACIST TOWARDS LIVING SKELETONS

wow, what an asshole
>>
>>53444898
Play a text only campaign. Just take in mind good text-only groups are a precious and scarce resource
>>
File: Barbarian level 5 charts revised.png (129KB, 2720x575px) Image search: [Google]
Barbarian level 5 charts revised.png
129KB, 2720x575px
>>53444880
>-1 to damage
Wow way to blatantly understate it. Also note that the barbarians in this chart who took +2 to str are using weapons that deal +1.5 more damage already than a warhammer, so.
>>
>>53444898
To what degree? When I played at a LGS there was someone who ran a game who had cerebral palsy.
>>
>>53444898
Are you textonlyanon from the thread a few weeks back?
I'm afraid D&D, by its nature, is a social activity. If you want a single-player experience, there are some pretty fuckin' good vidya based on D&D (Neverwinter Nights, Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, etc. Maybe even KOTOR).
>>
>>53444929
Just have it be a cleric of the raven queen, problem solved
>>
>>53443044
>COMPASSIONATE DRAGONBORN WARLOCK FROM A SMALL FARM IN THE GRASSLANDS WHO ACTS SHALLOW BUT ONLY TO HIDE THEIR INSECURITIES

You know, this actually sounds workable.
>>
>>53444940
>Warhammer does 5.5 damage per swing on average
>Greataxe (what most barbarians use, let's be honest) does 6.5
So yeah, technically you're right that greatswords and mauls do 7 on average, but even at level 1 a barbarian gets +5 to damage and you end up with 12 vs 10.5. Honestly not a huge deal, and it becomes an even smaller deal at higher levels (where features/strength can give as much as +9, and this is without even mentioning GWM).

How the fuck does anybody in these charts have 60 DPR at level 5?
>>
Party is rogue Druid cleric monk

Thinking of making a bruiser mystic

Do I want to go immortal or soul knife for dps?

I don't know how high my stats will be so con+dex may get me 15 AC if I'm lucky and I may have to dump int.

But dexterity will likely be my to hit.....

Any suggestions?
>>
>>53445013
because GWM is a stupid feat.
(weapon damage+rage damage+mod damage+10)*3
>>
>>53445013
>How the fuck does anybody in these charts have 60 DPR at level 5?
By using the feats designed for martials instead of warhammers?
>>
>>53445069
Avatar. Blah blah blah stack all of the AC to 24.
Alt. use medium armor +shield for up to 19 AC, then take whatever you want for disciplines.
>>
>>53444891
Threw a bead of force on himself, started stacking buffs that don't need concentration and waited for the others to whittle themselves down.

Should be said he would have lost if Grog made the one save, then backed and threw the dwarven thrower to finish off Tarry who had like ~30-40 hp left.

I don't doubt Travis wouldn't have done that because he wasn't playing usual retard Grog, he was strategizing through that whole fight.
>>
>>53444940
How does 16 str with PAM and GWM do more damage than 18 str berserker with GWM?

Same number of attacks but with higher strength and damage dice.
>>
>>53442364
>I can see people now shoehorning in a battle royal in an alternate universe and granting boons for the winner
This isn't such an uncommon idea. This is basically the premise of many popular comic events
>>
>>53445161
>PAM reaction prob used
>>
You guys will call me a shill and disregard this probably but this Fight Club 5 app fucking amazing.
>>
>>53445126
>stack all of the AC to 24

What?
>>
Hey /tg/ my brother wants to dm a bullshit one shot today and I've decided to play a Goliath barbarian. I don't know what level we're starting at but if we start at 3+ how should I build him? Totem? Berserker?
>>
>>53445213
Avatar for shield (10+Dex[5]+2) = 17 AC
Inertial Armor (14+Dex[5]+2) = 21 AC
Bestial Hide (14+Dex[5]+2+2) = 23 AC
One of 2 focuses that give AC (14+Dex[5]+2+2+1) = 24 AC

Or you invest 14 Dex to get 19 AC with medium + shield.
>>
>>53445161
All this aside, I'm saying the barbarian and all the other non-feat user barbarian/fighter/paladins/etc deserve a slight boost. Well, except the people who don't need feats like barbarogues.
>>
>>53444861
Keep STR at 10, Need 10-12 DEX nothing more, you'll have Stone skin, Mage amor, Shield etc anyway. Try to keep CON 14+ for HP and potential Concentration checks. You need the rest in your main cast ability
>>
File: screen696x696.jpg (76KB, 392x696px) Image search: [Google]
screen696x696.jpg
76KB, 392x696px
>>53445192
>this is the example used on their page
>Nympharia Vere
>>
>>53444953
I sound worse than Muhammad Ali during the late 80s/90s.

>>53444954
>vidya
Thanks.
>>
>>53444700
Didn't Wizards in older editions require high dex for somatic components like finger gestures?

Also let's go with this logic:

Wizards have to do a lot of precise work while experimenting and this requires high coordination.
Wizards are often exposed to the radiation of spells or drink food supplements made out of alchemical magic substances meant to toughen up their bodies.
>>
>>53445272
App-wise I like what I see. The character isn't the point of the app
>>
Anyone have the PDF for the 1.03 DFC Alchemist?
>>
File: Eagle Barbarian.jpg (61KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
Eagle Barbarian.jpg
61KB, 600x400px
>>53445272
>cleric5/ranger1
>They probably single level dipped UA revised ranger otherwise what's the fucking point
>>
>>53445272
Are anime characters supposed to have Down's?
>>
>>53445311
Flavor/Backstory
>>
>>53445311
A one level dip of original ranger is basically getting nothing at all. It's pretty tragic.
>>
File: y u ruin dinner.jpg (92KB, 960x640px) Image search: [Google]
y u ruin dinner.jpg
92KB, 960x640px
>>53445192
>iOS only
>>
File: Another eagle barbarian.png (107KB, 540x521px) Image search: [Google]
Another eagle barbarian.png
107KB, 540x521px
>>53445339
Either
'I want to make my character useless because backstory'
or
'I want advantage on initiative for backstory'
'I also want +damage to humanoids for backstory'
'I also want advantage on all checks relating to everything humanoids have ever done for backstory'
'I also want to never get lost for backstory'
'I also want to ignore difficult terrain for backstory'
'I also want +1/+2 HP and an extra skill for backstory'
'I also want advantage on creatures who haven't taken a turn yet for backstory'
'I also want to boost the team's stealth-movement out of combat and foraging capability and tracking capability and ignoring difficult terrain for backstory'
'I also want advantage to find humanoids for backstory'

It doesn't actually synergize awfully well with Cleric so I guess it's actually kind of okay
>>
File: 1495819364227.jpg (84KB, 1000x800px) Image search: [Google]
1495819364227.jpg
84KB, 1000x800px
Why should I not give basic goblins fighting level 1s poison weapons
>>
>>53445245
Depends do you want to eat all the damage/give advantage to any ally in the thick with you or extra attack and ignore charm effects depending on the level?
>>
>>53445413
>I want to make my character useless because backstory
>Natural explorer doesn't increase my combat numbers and isn't useful in my game, so its useless for everyone
>>
>>53445470
Why doesn't everyone always use poison weapons?
>>
>>53445470
The goblins probably don't have good reason to unless their tactic is 'attack then run', which would totally be appropriate.

>>53445504
It lets you do something you can usually manage to do yourself anyway or is made completely redundant by any number of things like certain spells or having a teammate with good survival.
>>
Speaking of mystics....

I'm gonna make a wolverine character not 1:1 but do what I can

Hinges on one thing though, beastial claws, Melee attack with dex or str?
>>
You guys ever played in a setting with Ley Lines?
I'm planning to use them related to certain things in my settings, but I'd like interesting ideas of stuff I can do with the lines.
>>
>>53445525
>goblins probably don't have good reason to use poison weapons
The only reason I could see for them not using it is they lack the means to produce it.
>>
>>53445245
If you have a friend that's playing a Rogue in the Party go Totem. Get the one that gives Advantage. Put highest stat into CON and just lure everyone to you, jump amidst every thug you see.
>>
>>53445515
Because it's evil.
>>
>>53445560
Why is it more evil than using non-poison weapons?
>>
>>53445470
If you're playing a high lethality campaign no real reason not to, otherwise it's just a dick move because at that level they already have hardly any health as is.
>>
>>53445470
Protip: the poison is just goblin shit.
>>
>>53445582
Negative energy.
>>
>>53445540
>Stab guardsman with poisoned weapon
>Huh, the guardsman isn't dying
>Huh, the guardsman just cleaved my head off
>Huh, why doesn't the poison kill him instantly so he doesn't cleave my head off? Why is this happening?

Here's some reasons:
1. Not all poison is conveniently instantaneous and they probably can't make that sort of poison. Can they even afford decent weapons? Since it's not instantaneous, it doesn't actually help them in an immediate fight.
2. They didn't have time to prepare. You can't just keep your weapons poisoned 24/7.
3. They usually fight some of the many, many poison resistant things in the world.
4. They probably don't know how best to preserve and use it.
5. The obvious, like with 1., they don't have the means or the money for it.
6. It'd be much better to just skewer whatever it is than waste time trying to work out how to poison and risking getting any poison on yourself.
7. Goblins are just fucking dumb and don't know that poison might be a good idea.
>>
>>53445413
Well shit, that's why the UA classes have specific disclaimers that they're not optimized for multiclassing? The only retard is the DM who allows it.

>>53445470
Do you think they're smart enough for that? Maybe if there's an easily accessible source of poison nearby, but goblins probably wouldn't be able to craft it.

That said, there are other 1/4 CR monsters that have poison (the warlock familiars like the pseudodragon and sprite come to mind), so it shouldn't be that huge of an issue, since the DC is usually pretty low.

Speaking of warlock familiars, don't base it on the Imp. 15 damage on a hit and a failed con save will kill one of your lv 1's unless they're a barbarian.
>>
>>53445591
>rusty dagger shank town but for real
>>
I need some combatant ideas,
the characters are heading to some city with a Colosseum. the rules in the arena is three on three battles. I plan on getting the party to fight 3 groups of 3 combatants.
I need some race and class ideas with combat styles (or entire teams)
The characters are a dragon sorc,open palm monk and assasin rogue. all level 3.
>>
>>53445612
Yes, but if they're going to have an example of a character at least use one that has at least even a slight bit of mechanical sense (if PHB ranger) or at least a bit of respect for the DM and game balance and the meaning of UA (if revised ranger)
>>
>>53445608
This is literally the longest most pointless list of misinformed and wrong shit I've read on 4chan to date.
Congratulations.
>>
Need some fun Mystic quirks. Mate suggested that because I predicted the future once (guessed) I think I can tell the future but get it wrong all the time. Seems fun but weird given some of the Mystic's abilities.

Any ideas lads?
>>
File: Willyoufight.png (192KB, 258x364px) Image search: [Google]
Willyoufight.png
192KB, 258x364px
>>53445657
Okay, so then have goblins use poison, what do I care? Clearly there's no reason goblins shouldn't use poison. So they should. It's a direct upgrade, after all. Everybody uses poison. Even your grandmother.

.. But no, seriously, I can understand that some of what I said varies (Not all goblins are stupid, maybe they can actually acquire some poison somewhere) but don't just say 'they smear goblin shit on their spears'. That's just stupid. What I don't get is denying every single one of those points.
>>
>>53445470
Because poison is EXTREMELY expensive, if they had the means to procure poison for everybody in their band, they would probably rather spend it for goblin full-plates to stay safer.
>>
>>53445693
Cause you're wrong about everything. Didn't mean to upset you.
>>
>>53445553
That's not a bad idea, should I just stick with the greataxe?
>>
File: Really makes you think.gif (2MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
Really makes you think.gif
2MB, 320x240px
>>53445731
Okay, so you don't actually have any points, you're just a pretending-to-be-retarded-troll. Got it.
>>
What if I went into the description of all the Wild Magic Sorcerer's features, crossed out every mention of "the DM", then wrote over it "you".
>>
>>53445608
>>53445693

Not him, but I thought 5e poison damage was always immediate? I don't know about poisoned weapons specifically, but most venomous beasts inflict the damage on the same roll as their normal damage. IE the giant spider, pic related. You take the damage from the teeth of the bite, and then the poison damage from the venom in the same turn.

No, its not realistic, but thats RAW isn't it?
>>
>>53445682
Always have a clean shave in all areas.
If not you must find the closest sharp object to shave your self with.

Always sing when you are excited.

Allways moonwalk through the door.
>>
Anons? I want to convert the various non-human Planetouched from Dragon #350 - Azerbloods (Azer/Dwarf), Celadrin (Elf/Firre Eladrin), D'hin (Halfling/Djinn), and Worghest (Goblin/Whorgest).

For the first three, would you recommend making them their own race, or making them a new subrace for Dwarves, Elves and Halflings?
>>
>>53445813
I mean, you're not wrong.

But if it's level 1 goblin levels of shenanigans I'd be seriously surprised if they could match crazy magical beasts that have such poison powers unless it's disease in which case disease doesn't have immediate effects.
>>
>>53445747
>Stab guardsman with poisoned weapon
>Huh, the guardsman isn't dying
>Huh, the guardsman just cleaved my head off
>Huh, why doesn't the poison kill him instantly so he doesn't cleave my head off? Why is this happening?
They don't engage in melee combat before the poison works it's effect. So that's all wrong.

>1. Not all poison is conveniently instantaneous and they probably can't make that sort of poison. Can they even afford decent weapons?
Wow what an amazing observation.
>Since it's not instantaneous, it doesn't actually help them in an immediate fight.
You're implying poisoning your enemies doesn't help in a fight. Again, wrong.

>2. They didn't have time to prepare. You can't just keep your weapons poisoned 24/7.
They rub the poison on their weapons 5 minutes before the party walks into the ambush site.

>3. They usually fight some of the many, many poison resistant things in the world.
No they don't. Merchants and caravan guards are not poison resistant.

>4. They probably don't know how best to preserve and use it.
Goblins don't care.

Actually that's all I feel like doing, you're just a fucking ignoramus.
>>
>>53445799
Tides of Chaos would probably be OP (also the WM table is tilted in the player's favor) so you might have to set a limited number of uses for it
>>
>>53445893
>They don't engage in melee combat before the poison works it's effect. So that's all wrong.
Then we're assuming initial ranged combat (not always the case) and that doesn't mean what they're firing at can't fire back or charge them down or endure until cover. Or they'll be engaged in melee combat too fast for it to have a notable effect.
>You're implying poisoning your enemies doesn't help in a fight. Again, wrong.
I'm implying that it doesn't help in a fight like 95% of D&D battles are if it's a non-instant poison. Battles end within a minute.

>They rub the poison on their weapons 5 minutes before the party walks into the ambush site.
How do they know the party is going to arrive in 5 minutes? How do they definitely have a secure ambush site already established? This will not always be the case, as a bunch of adventurers simply going down into a cave with goblins in it won't exactly be 'just as planned!'. I agree that it's possible the goblins can be ambushing, but this doesn't make the entire point irrelevant.
>No they don't. Merchants and caravan guards are not poison resistant.
Unless they're dwarf merchants or caravan guards or stout halflings.
You know, those short guys that're everywhere and do trade sometimes and often live in similar places to goblins?
Also not all goblins kill caravan guards all day long. They might fight other things, too.
>Goblins don't care.
Then the poison becomes less effective / is applied wrong and doesn't work. Too bad.
>>
>>53445876

Ok, better (and applicable) example;

>Goblin coats weapon with poison (Action)
>Goblin attacks with weapon, deals weapon and poison damage

So it would be immediate damage, but obviously not with the crazy effects and damage of the previous spider example.

Point still stands though, poison damage is instantaneous, but not inherently lethal. And its very limited in use, given that the poison only lasts a minute before drying out.
>>
>>53445893
>>53446004
Basically, in summary: Everything you said holds true for a caravan ambush but otherwise fails to realize that goblins do things other than ambush carvans all day?

>>53446010
Yeah. And costy.
Still, it's a good point and it's probably safe enough to assume if they are using proper PHB poison and not goblins hit that it could do something instantaneously to HP pools, but probably is still out of typical level 1 goblin reach. Though maybe one or two goblins could use it.
>>
>>53446010
look at how much that thing costs
>>
>>53446004
Oh I get your point now. What you're saying is if goblins weren't unnaturally cruel and cunning, evil creatures that enjoy inflicting pain and terror on their victims, then they wouldn't use poison.
Gotcha.
>>
>>53446010
>>53446071
I never understood why poison is so expensive. I have 5 vials of the shit on a Rogue I'm playing that I'm considering selling to the local Thieves Guild-types because it's nowhere near worth It's cost.
>>
>>53446112
What I'm saying is that the OP never said 'The goblins are attacking a caravan'
Therefore we should assume a more general case, where not every single one of your points conveniently holds up because you picked the one time and place where it's actually true.

For all we know the goblins the level 1 players will be fighting won't be cunning, won't be ambushing a caravan, won't be ready in ambush to fuck the already super-squishy level 1 players over, won't be loaded down with loot like poison from previously pillaged caravans, won't be facing caravans that have dealt with their shit before despite the above and have cover, won't have dwarfs, won't have whatever's magically convenient for the argument.
>>
>>53446126

Maybe balancing issues around the PHB's weird crafting rules? It'd take any proficient character 20 days to make a poison at that cost, so it would prevent rogues from having it on their person for little to no effort all the time?
>>
Can I get some quick feedback on a one-shot adventure I'm planning? My friends and I play a campaign on a regular basis and we've recently started taking turns running one-shot games. My turn is coming soon, so I'd like some feedback on whether or not not my idea is trash or not.

The hook is pretty cliche - PCs come to a village and learn that it has been under attack by bandits and are recruited/bribed/whatever into rooting them out. The villagers believe that the bandits operate out of the nearby forest. PCs will find evidence of bandits, but none to be found. Long story short, there were bandits and they were operating out of an ancient yuan-ti stronghold. Very recently, a group of yuan-ti have returned in an effort to reclaim it and reclaim part of their empire and will need to clear them out.

If it makes any difference, there are three other players. Two of them are new to RPGs/DnD and one has been playing forever. Characters will be 7th level.
>>
>>53446010
>Poison, basic
>100gp
Now look at how much loot a small band of goblins would typically carry. VERY RARELY will you find a small group of goblins carrying enough to afford even a single vial of poison
>>
>>53446178
Yeah, of course they're going to spend that 100gp for a one-off +1d4 damage as an action for a minute against some adventurers that have less than 100gp on them.
>>
>>53446174
Prepare for your party to not be recruited/bribed/whatever into rooting them out.
>>
>>53446178
>>53446071

Example was just to show that poison damage is "on hit", unlike what posted here. >>53445608

Whether or not goblins specifically SHOULD have that is a different matter entirely.
>>
>>53446178
Goblins would be more likely to make their own from the various vermin and plants they can collect in the wild.
>>
>>53446224
They can probably afford stuff like arsenic / food poison / poison that takes a lot longer to take affect, and if you assume that they're never gonna get 100gp poison vials then it's best to assume that if they're using poison, that's what they'd have to use.
.. Which was why I originally said that stuff, I guess.
>>
>>53446245
If they can make something as good as a 100gp vial of poison, why don't they just sell that on the blackmarket instead of using it and risking their lives themselves?
>>
>>53446126
Average person has 4 HP with +0 Con Save. It almost %50 kills a person when used, that's why it's expensive.

No one's going to sell it cheap.

Also, you either have to be quite good at Herbalism and Alchemy OR Chemistry. There's no Sodium something whatever, basically no-one knows elements. Shit must be pretty hard to produce too.
>>
>>53446278
Because they're goblins. They're assholes and people hate them.
>>
>>53446245
>>53446278

Sounds like an interesting low-level plot hook.

Local crime mortality rate skyrockets as criminals start dealing with goblins for poison, adventurers are called in to investigte the source of the poisonous weapons every cheap highwayman seems to have nowadays.
>>
>>53446010
>one slashing or piercing weapon
So what I can't coat my mace in poison?
>>
>>53446245
Exactly this. Plenty of fast-acting poisons they can get from wild sources - snake venoms were used by Scythians, and they also had "grenades" (clay pots that would shatter) filled with scorpions, so I don't see why little goblins wouldn't do the same.
>>
>>53446315
Eh, they can probably work out a deal with someone. Provide the stuff to a shadey dealer outside of town at only 10gp's worth a bottle and get stuff like bread and live normal and happy goblin lives while being assholes because they supply the black market.

>>53446327
Suddenly everything makes sense
>>
>>53444586
A vampire like Strahd can turn your shadow into a Shadow CR 1/2 creature and take it away

I let Animate Dead do that as well
>>
>>53446296
>almost 50%
>45% chance to fail at +0
>25% chance to roll a 4
>11.25% chance to kill the most pathetic of commoners
>paying 100g which is a king's ransom in D&D's """"""""""economy"""""""""" for a peasant

I guess when you live in a world where bandits always fail, and are just plot hooks to find the bad guy you might do it all by yourself or else inevitably the ever present adventurers might find out.
>>
>>53446213
I'm mostly counting on them to accept minor railroading since this is a single-shot deal, but I've planned a couple contingencies (e.g., villagers will complain that the local lord has done nothing to help with their problem. Players might get suspicious of the guy so they pay a trip to him. He will say that there is nothing to worry about because he's dispatched some soldiers to take care of the problem. I'm counting on the PCs to be suspicious of the lord and investigate. The lord is on the level, but whatever. Conspiracy theories are great. Even if they don't investigate, players will encounter the soldiers trapped in oubliettes in some deep part of the stronghold.)
>>
>>53446398
Include weapon damage, not just poison.

1 slash or 2 arrows or whatever
>>
>>53446296
Or you could fucking stab them with a tableleg and they'd just die.

According to rules, peasants die in one shot to literally anything.
>>
>>53446245
Sure but that crude poison wouldn't be nearly as effective as the stuff you find on the black market or whatever, otherwise it wouldn't be 100gp.

It could still be debilitating, but wouldn't necessarily be directly damaging in combat. I did make some vietcong style goblins who had a bunch of pitfalls full of shit covered wooden spikes
>>
>>53444891
Yeah but he won by playing like a suport character.
Invisible, buffs that don't require concentration and the such
>>
>>53446416
>counting on your players
lmao

Be prepared to improv your initial "da bandits have struck!" moment. If you've got a moralfag paladin, let them see a bandit running off with a child or something. Something more than just "can you do thing for me?"
>>
>>53446456
>It could still be debilitating, but wouldn't necessarily be directly damaging in combat.

Why did everyone assume the goblins would be using damaging poison.
It just gives the players a poisoned status. and it's not like they went out and bought the poison, they just figured out that chewed up fermented carrion crawler shit on arrowheads makes heroes woozy
>>
>>53443608
>Not printing them
It's like you don't even live in a third world country and photocopy everything including university books.
>>
>>53446498
It won't make them go woozy, because you need at least 50 gp worth of ingredients to distill a poison in 5e.
>>
>>53441331
Why do DnD monster girls always want to kill men and drink their blood, and possibly rape them?

Why can't they get along?
>>
>>53445591
>Protip: the poison is just goblin shit.

That would be a con save vs disease (Sewer Plague), which i am 100% for.
>>
>>53443608
I haven't bought any so far. They're really way too expensive.

I get that it takes time and effort to make a whole set of rules, but at like 50 bucks per book, with the necessity of owning at least three to four per campaign (PHB, DMG, MM and maybe one of the adventures) you're spending 150-200 bucks. Most college courses require you to spend less on texbooks.

Maybe if they were 30 bucks instead of 50.
>>
>>53446746
>RRREEE stop making up new stuff DM *frantically flips through DMG and monster manual looking for a way to rules lawyer his way out of having a hard encounter*
>>
What is a good name for a company that trades cursed items?
>>
>>53446862
Needful Things
>>
>>53446852
Are you really this shortsighted? Once the players learn goblins got debilitating poison from distilled shit, you will have the rest of your campaign downtime spent on players shitting on all their weapons and having free access to debilitating poison. So unless scat is your fetish, better have a good reason for goblins getting their poison or else you will break your campaign.
>>
New UA when?
>>
What are some must have maneuvers for a battle master? I want to try one out but don't know where to start
>>
>>53446862
Honest Al's Magical Goods Emporium
>>
>>53446924
Maybe he could make it so that these goblins discovered that in goblin physiology, consuming certain substances make their feces harmful to humanoids.
>>
>>53446983
They'll beat the shit out of goblins to learn which foods and keep a truckful of goblin slaves for poison production. No, seriously, as a DM it's best to assume players will take anything you use against them and twist it to break your campaign. Account for that. The base idea is decent, but needs fixing to remove permanent poison source for players.
>>
>>53446936
June 5th probably
>>
File: Moth needs help.jpg (23KB, 589x550px) Image search: [Google]
Moth needs help.jpg
23KB, 589x550px
>>53447063
Thanks buddy, have a cute
>>
File: Skreemin.png (3KB, 150x142px) Image search: [Google]
Skreemin.png
3KB, 150x142px
>tfw thinking of running a short campaign that basically turns my players into Power Rangers

Someone please talk me out of this insanity
>>
File: how to make goblin poison.png (22KB, 1158x273px) Image search: [Google]
how to make goblin poison.png
22KB, 1158x273px
>>53446924
Players wouldn't even know dude. They'd just be fighting goblins with poison arrows, find a caged up carrion crawler and this painted on a cave wall
>>
>>53447122
Depends on how smart/inquisitive/powergamey your players are.
>>
>>53447108
>Someone please talk me out of this insanity
no.
>>
>>53447162
No because you enjoy the suffering of others, or no because it sounds fun?
>>
>>53447189
yes
>>
>>53447156
Local adventurer discovers one weird trick to make cheap poison! Potion makers hate him!
>>
>>53447156
I highly doubt any players would start capturing both goblins and carrion crawlers and begin farming poison.
>>
File: 3th edition shit.png (155KB, 1229x685px) Image search: [Google]
3th edition shit.png
155KB, 1229x685px
Lads, getting back into D&D, or trying to get back into it. Not bought a book before, but I like physical books to read anyway. Are these pretty much the universal books (I mean outside specific adventure books) to get? I know Volo's isn't needed but it can give me ideas for shit and I like reading lore anyway.

so, this it or do I need anything else?
>>
File: Aladeen news.gif (3MB, 335x192px) Image search: [Google]
Aladeen news.gif
3MB, 335x192px
>>53447195
O-ok, thanks f-for your help
>>
>>53447217
you poor, sweet, naive thing.
>>
>>53447232
If you're gonna DM you maybe want the starter set too. It's alright.
>>
>>53447232
SCAG
>>
>>53447217
Well, I'm currently DMing for two groups, for one I'm 200% certain they would do that, for the other I wouldn't rule it out. You either always play with really tame people or haven't played with many groups.
>>
>>53447108
I once played a paladin who got an amulet which let him summon his armor when uttering a command word.
Yelling "MAKE THE FLAMES OF JUSTICE BURN" every time I called it was pretty fun
>>
>>53447217
Force them to deal with the fallout
* Hired goons from Big Poison sent to kill you for undercutting their prices
* Goblin adventurers free their kin from slavery
* Force them to role-play every detail of the poison-making process
* If they hire people to handle the grunt work, make them write contracts and handle wage negotiation
>>
>>53447232
>NEET tier
Pirate the PDFs from the Mega trove

>Bare bones
Starter's Kit

>I just wanna play
PHB

>I wanna be a DM
PHB + MM + DMG

>I want to autistically comlplain about this game on a Norwegian seal petting forum without actually having played it
PHB + MM + DMG + SCAG + EE + Volo's
>>
>>53447276
>I want to autistically comlplain about this game on a Norwegian seal petting forum without actually having played it
>not including printing out all UA's
>>
>>53441331
Looking at out of the abyss as a gm.

Considering playing up the survival aspect by making hunger, death, poison, and disease matter more.

Is this a terrible idea?
>>
>>53447307
not a terrible idea, but past level three will likely be a lot of wasted effort, PC's can quickly and easily eliminate most mundane survival needs.
>>
File: 1447366458202.png (200KB, 356x256px) Image search: [Google]
1447366458202.png
200KB, 356x256px
>tfw know everything off by heart so don't need books
>>
>>53447253
Okey doke.

>>53447244
I'm not sure. Newbies (and I mean total newbies) are trying to get into it and asked me to help. I said I've not played it for like two decades and I've forgotten most of it and or it's mostly changed. So I suppose I might end up having to do so.

>>53447276
I probably won't complain about it, I won't know what I'm moaning about even if I did. As for EE, I assume that's Princes of the Apocalypse rather than the PDF? That's for the spells and new races, right?
>>
>>53447254
>>53447238
I guess I never considered that... Still thought I want it, and a Bugbear who's half it's face is paralyzed capturing the thing.
>>
>>53447263
>force them to role-play every detail of the poison making process

"O-okay, I...I stick my hand up the...Up the thing's, uh, a-asshole."
"How deep?"
"I...I don't know?"
"Roll an Insight check."
"12."
"You think you need to go deeper."
"Man, are you sure I -"
"Roleplay it."
"Fine, I...What am I, now, up to my elbow?"
*DM rolls*
"The crawler dies due to internal bleeding, and now your arm is covered in bug shit and blood. Make a Con save."
>>
>>53447369
>DM masturbating underneath table
>>
>>53447364
>That's for the spells and new races, right?
Yeah, the Elemental Evil's Player's Companion. Couple spells and races in there.
>>
>all those books will cost me £175

Wew. I mean, sure, I'll get mileage out of reading them anyway but be hilarious if they go "THIS IS GAY" like I expect they will.

Thanks for help guys.
>>
>>53447434
dude, just buy the main three, then if they like it, buy the splats.
>>
>>53447276
Only book I've bought was the alt-cover volo's
>>
>>53447460
Oh I know. See, it's a long story, but I pretty much buy everything I can to read. I'm basically house bond, if not bed ridden, it takes a lot of painkillers to get out of bed (diamorphine and shit) so I don't mind anyway. Reading books is neat anyway, so I don't really lose much.

But you might be right.
>>
OH I GET IT "SNEK ATTACK" LOOKS LIKE "SNEAK ATTACK"
HAAAAAA
Not being sarcastic, I genuinely just got it
>>
what is a fun way to activate a locked portal?
>>
>>53447629
Fuck it into opening
>>
>>53447629
>Wink at it
>Say a passphrase so embarrassing nobody else will want to imitate you
>Snap your fingers whilst being The Doctor
>Walk into it backwards
>Casually lean on it
>>
>>53447629
360 moonwalk
>>
My players want me to run an Underdark game, but I'm coming up short on ideas for the adventure. I already mined Out of the Abyss for stuff earlier so I don't want to run that "again".

Any cool ideas?
>>
>>53447757
Find some old 3e splatbook about the under dark and build a campaign in the setting
>>
>>53447757
Not really ideas, but you can always steal more shit from the OotA one shots as well
>>
File: Badenoughdude.gif (10KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
Badenoughdude.gif
10KB, 256x224px
>>53447757
>>
Paladin, hexblade warlock, mystic, fighter or stone sorcerer?

Party needs a tough front liner, and fighter seems kind of boring
>>
>>53447916
>and fighter seems kind of boring
only if YOU are boring.
I once made an EK Fighter modeled after Mario. Boots of striding and springing, enlarge person, fire bolt. Shit was cash.
>>
Trying to post a new thread, 4chan being exceedingly slow. Anybody else experiencing issues?
>>
>>53448013
NVM.

New thread:
>>53448027
>>53448027
>>53448027
>>53448027
>>
>>53444776
Yeah you can dude. You learn spells in DnD by killing stuff. Doesn't matter if you kill it with magic, or just punch things to death.
>>
>>53447329
That's what I mean by "play them up".

No create food and water.
Lesser restoration has expensive components added (possibly different prices for each type of effect).
Remove curse only removes one curse at a time, and is not free.
Resurrection spells cost more, or have some non-financial cost such as those mentioned in 3.x heroes of horror.

Make the ways of ignoring those issues less easily had.
>>
>>53448196
keep in mind, then, that you may end up marginalizing certain classes/backgrounds
For example, clerics and druids are going to lose access to stuff that defines their roles, while wizards get a free pass. Rangers and certain backgrounds lose some power if their survival rolls and such become worthless.
>>
>>53446828
Amazon has them on constant 30?
>>
>>53448589
Ranger would be more valuable I would think. Foraging for food and water becomes critical if you can't just bypass it with a low level spell.

True that druid and cleric lose, or have nerfed, some of their utility spells.
>>
>>53446184
I always interpreted it as potent for the minute after it has been applied.
>>
>>53447276
Tfw I'm only one book away from autistic bliss.
Thread posts: 372
Thread images: 30

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.