[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Fifth Edition General:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 403
Thread images: 46

File: 400px-Goliath.jpg (17KB, 320x480px) Image search: [Google]
400px-Goliath.jpg
17KB, 320x480px
D&D 5th Edition General Discussion

>Download Unearthed Arcana: Revised Subclasses:
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-RevisedSubclasses.pdf

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
https://mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously, on /5eg/:
>>53428073

What campaign do you want to be ported to 5e the most? Or would you prefer they make new ones over that?
>>
All I want from campaigns is setting booklets really.

Chult, Al Qadim or Maztica is cool. Ideally though it would be something not in Faerun, like Darksun or a Manual of the Planes.
>>
Anyone have A Thousand Tiny Deaths? DDAL06-01.
>>
Has anyone actually tried the Mystic yet? How does it play?
>>
starting out for the first time and i want to buy terrain. im not good at painting at all so thats out of the question.
any recommendations to sites or stores with decent terrain? any kind would be great.
>>
>>53432253
There's always Legos

Got no clue I just use a grid and descriptions or draw the things on the grid.
>>
>>53432326
not gonna do that anon
i still have legos somewhere and i wouldnt mind using them but im afraid i might get called autist by my friends
>>
>>53432431
Call them fags unless they want to shell out money for terrain this is what they get.
>>
>>53432326
I used a big piece of paper from dollar store and draw on grids and occasionally doodled on it to denote whatever terrain, so I'd say you are more advanced than I.
>>
Last general died so I post here: First time DMing. Can you give me good one shot adventure ideas? Something that should be easy for a first timer like me? I was thinking in a small quest where they need to explore a cave or old ruins or something (a mini dungeon)
>>
>>53432522
Yeah I got these dry erase grid things from roll 4 initiative, double sided and work like puzzle pieces so you can place pieces as the party explores. Then again it was a gift for Christmas so can't be sure on the price.
>>
>>53432555
Gotta go into some spooky dwarven ruins to get a magical macguffin. Mostly traps to deal with maybe a monster here or there.
>>
>>53432555
If that's your first time, just pick up a official adventure like Death House.
>>
File: chult.jpg (1MB, 1609x1067px) Image search: [Google]
chult.jpg
1MB, 1609x1067px
>>53432125
>Chult, Al Qadim, or Maztica is cool

WELL MY FRIEND IT MUST BE YOUR LUCKY FUCKING DAY

The next campaign takes place in Chult
>>
>>53432555
buy a campaign book, read all of it then conjure up a much smaller version of that. thats what my friends and i did
>>
>>53432555
Get an official adventure if you can, and read-and-re-read it over and over before you play. Also google for feedback on the adventure, what difficulty people had running it, what kind of encounter was this-or-that, and keep note.

Making your own adventure is a lot more math intensive in 5e, if you want to make accurately challenging encounter without it tilting your players.

If you DO make your own adventure, read the whole DMG over and over, and then some more.
>>
>>53432597
>>53432600
>>53432607
This is helping me. Thanks. And what level should be the party ti make it easy to manage but still fun for all?
>>
>>53432603
Give me a rundown what's Chult like, I don't remember playing it.
>>
>>53432600
>>53432607
>>53432655
Is there a one shot adventure in the Yawding Portal? If not what adventure could be reduced easly to a 4/5 hour session?
>>
>>53432672
I would do 2 or 3 to start; Level 1 always feel like stray crits and unluckiness swings the game too much. At 2, the players don't have too much mechanics to confuse themselves in, and at 3 you get the players 2nd level spells and archetypes for those that get them at 3rd level, allowing for more options during chargen.
>>
Total newbie to tabletop D&D here. Why people dislike Forgotten Realms so much?
>>
>>53432672
Start at 2 but with something that almost immediately gets them to 3, to hook that level up dopamine into their veins ASAP.
>>
>>53432833
Overuse (adventures, splats, novels video games) and general blandness.
>>
>>53432211
I have. It's fun. I'm not going to bother writing the abusable things again, but there are abusable things. The right choice is for WotC to gently chisel away at the imbalanced choices, and change the AC bonuses to calculations, but instead they're probably going to hit the nose with a hammer, and leave you with 1-2 still broken options but half the psi points or some other hack job.
>>
>>53432763
About archetypes, I still feel locking them for all but two classes at 3 was a mistake; if I were to go over, I'd allow people to take their main class archetype at 1 but force multiclassers to wait until 3 in the multiclass (even clerics and wizards) to reduce the cut down on dips.
>>
>>53432872
I guarantee they make it so you can only learn the disciplines of your order and strip all versatility from the class.
>>
>>53432875
How would you implement the archetype bonus slated at different levels? Just move the level when they get the bonus around?
>>
>>53432872
>>53432904
Doesn't it drop off at 10? If so that's exactly what they'll do because no game goes past that level.
>>
>>53432926
It doesn't so much drop off, as everyone else catches up and surpasses it.
>>
>>53432919
I would probably allow any proficiency bonus (skills, weapons, armor) to be considered as is at level 1 while assuming that most of the baseline archetype bonuses are acquired at level 3.
>>
>>53432431
Legos are cool.
>>
>>53432950
Ahh, I haven't had any experience with them so wasn't sure.
>>
>>53432725
It's all jungles and dinosaurs and there's like two cities of any note where non-Chultans hang out when they're not pillaging all the riches in Chult, Mezro and Port L-something.

So basically imagine Waterdeep and Neverwinter but it's in a jungle.
>>
>fighter goes gwm pam

Isn't this cheesy as fuck?
>>
>>53433270
>Fighter

Damn near has to in some people's opinion
>>
>>53432603
Everyone's hitting on the dinosaurs and screaming Chult, but the rest of the image runs counter to that.

There's two big cities in Chult. This is a shitty Mezro, because the architecture looks nothing like Chultan stuff. There's no cat people hanging out here, either, which is weird because Mezro's de facto ruler is a Tabaxi and the city's full of them. That seems like a weird thing to leave out when you've put them in official content for 5E already. And this is all assuming we've COMPLETELY retconned the Spellplague, because Mezro blew up in that.
It's also a shitty Nyranzaru, because this architecture isn't Amnish.

What's the deal with all of the turbans and general desert garb? Chultans don't dress like that, and they're not all foreign merchants because we see them riding and leading all these dinosaurs which sure as shit aren't getting on the boat back home with them.

This is either a big reimagining of Chult (or they just forgot all their Chultan + Amnish background info) or someplace else that is nearby, trades with Chult, or otherwise has its own bunch of dinosaurs. Because it's not exactly a safe sell for Maztica either (no South Americans, few obviously Amnish people, dinos shouldn't necessarily be there), and if it's Hollow World, they've deliberately left out all the dead giveaways that are unique to that setting.
>>
>>53432597
No joke that is literally what I ran to introduce a couple people to 5e.
>>
Here is A Thousand Tiny Deaths if anyone wants to spend $3 on it to share

http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/209228
>>
>>53433270
Feats disproportionately benefit martials over casters, and fighter places the greatest portion of it's power in feats.
>ignore feats because someone thinks you're cheezy
>>
>>53432555
Run Lost Mines up unto the Goblin Hideout.
Finish the session with a Bugbear TPK is pretty cool.
>>
>>53433360
It's Forgotten Realms

The video explicitly stated its in Forgotten Realms. Chult is the only place with dinosaurs, and the video stated that they hint at upcoming adventures in their books. It's very apparently from VGM that its chult with the heavy emphasis on Yuan-ti and dinosaurs, along with PC Lizardfolk and Tabaxi.
>>
>>53433270
What's he gonna do with those 7 ASIs, pump INT?
>>
So, I could use some advice. This is my first d&d campaign and I'm playing a Old One Warlock. I'm going for the tome boon once I get there and I was hoping for some advice on how to use it well? The campaign isn't very optimized, but I want to be useful.
For flavor, he's a tiefling who is siphoning power from Tharizdun
>>
>>53433413
>kill off characters
>pretty cool

how bout no
>>
>>53433496
Suck your DM off so he keeps ritual scrolls appearing.
>>
>>53433496
>>53433525
I've actually been meaning to ask, can Tomelocks and Ritual Casters copy a Wizard's spellbook?

Not that I'd let anyone touch my book I've spent 1,500gp putting spells into, but just curious.
>>
>>53433525
That's actually not something I might need to do. My DM has never had a Warlock in game before so he didn't bat an eye when I suggested our base be in a major city's clerical/wizard school library.
>>
>>53433558
They can copy your rituals, yes.
>>
>>53432603
That honestly looks pretty sweet, not gonna lie.
>>
OK, so if you were playing a fighter but you had access to a single druid cantrip, what would you pick?
>>
>>53433583
>playing for almost a year
>found only 1 (one) spell to copy so far
>party constantly nags I don't have spell x or y
>constantly tell them to fuck off and learn to cast if they really want this spell
Sometimes I want to drop a couple Fireballs on their heads when they're low and dimension door away, never to be seen again

Too bad I don't have Fireball
>>
>>53433630
What's the character's story/personality?
>>
>>53433630
Shillelagh. Be a PAM Quarterstaff+Shield nature warrior.
>>
>>53433630
The only real choices are Mold Earth, Control Flames, Guidance, or Resistance. Maybe Mending or Druidcraft if you're a weirdo.
>>
>>53433662
Shit anon I'm sorry.
>>
>>53433662
I cannot sympathise. Within 3 sessions of joining the party who had already started I've found.

Scroll of Fireball, Scroll of Invisibility, Scroll of Puppet and a Staff of Charming.

I'm level 4 as well. Apparently the DM uses random tables to decide loot and I just got lucky.

Other items we found were a +1 Longsword that sheds sunlight, a Silver Estoc that's just a Greatsword dealing Piercing damage, a potion of invisibility, some Divine spell no one knows and 3 healing potions.

I feel like the DM's throwing too much loot but we are fighting some pretty tough fights and I'm the only optimised character. So I guess these are to make sure people don't die.
>>
>>53433630
Goodberry! They're good for a snack! Throw them at traps or people you hate! Stock up on them and turn them into bombs or ammunition!
>>
>>53432081
Newer player here, DM told me to use any UA I like and Hexblade Warlocks look fun as hell.

Anyone have any simple advice for building a decent Great-weapon Hexblade, stats, magic items(joining a near mid level campaign) or feats? I'd like to stay straight warlock if I can. Multi-classing seems complicated.
>>
>>53433360
Except for the fact that the Ring of Winter has famously been associated with Chult, and Ubtao is a god of labyrinths and mazes.
>>
>>53433976
Ubtao is a God of like 20 things and WotC's whipping boy.
>>
>group of 5 players
>I'm the only martial
What should I play?
>>
>>53434168
a different game
>>
File: reformationcentral.gif (973KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
reformationcentral.gif
973KB, 500x281px
>Chult
IT'S TIME
>>
>>53434168
Get out, you're going to get nuked and focused like crazy.
>>
>>53434168
That depends. Tell us more about party composition.
>>
>>53434168
A Sun Soul Monk.
You're a ranged character with the perfect kit to escape from whatever bad shit comes your party's way (Evasion, Deflect Arrows, maximum move speed) so when everyone else fucking DIES due to their refusal to play some non-caster, you'll be the one to escape unharmed and suggest a more balanced party where all the workload isn't shoved onto one guy's shoulders.
>>
>>53434168
>What should I play?
EDK or AT, because fuck it, why not at this point?
>>
Is the Critter Compendium any good?
Does anyone have it on PDF or can vow it is worth the $15?
>>
File: blackulaposter.jpg (174KB, 1020x807px) Image search: [Google]
blackulaposter.jpg
174KB, 1020x807px
>>53434191
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OY1TlxJORik#t=2m37
I have a sudden urge to run Curse of Strahd for my group after this campaign wraps up but replace the fortune teller lady with that asshole and reveal the party's actually in Bayou-via instead.
>>
>>53434201
Wildmage, gunsmith artificer, ranger, and a ranged class that I can't remember
>>
How many people would the the minimum for Yawning Portal?

Going to be starting a game next week with 3 players but I would like to get a fourth.
>>
File: 1495515628734m.jpg (180KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1495515628734m.jpg
180KB, 1024x1024px
My party is comprised of
Paladin
Hexblade
Bard
Wizard
Battle master (myself)

How fucked are we?
>>
>>53434313
>bard
>paladin
>wizard
not at all??
>>
>>53434313
Not?
>>
>>53432081
anything spelljammer, maybe something dark sun because official psionics.
>>
>>53434300
It's clearly written for around 5 but you could easily tone down the encounters to make it suitable for 3.
>>
>>53434323
>>53434325
I've never played 5e, is not having a skillmonkey and 3 melee gonna be rough?
>>
>>53434367
Bards can be skill monkeys
>>
>>53434367
bards and rogues are skill monkeys, but even then, in a 5 man team chances are skills will be diverse enough to function.

Plus you have two full casters, a half caster, and a warlock, you're fine.
>>
Aight /5eg/, a few days ago I bravely stated that I believe the sorcerer is not as bad as everyone seems to meme. However, today I have another opinion that I'm not sure I understand: I think the warlock looks hella boring to play as almost no matter what from a mechanics perspective. Either be tome/chain and eldritch blast constantly or go hexblade. Hexblade seems ok but in my head arcane trickster, EK, paladin, valor bard, they all do that stuff better than hexblade.

I guess my main thing is that a warlock can cast like what, maybe 8 spells if it blows the slots and arcanums? I know you get the slots back on a short rest but it just seems like its so inflexible and limited I just don't see it.
>>
>>53434354

I was thinking more about the skills and stuff outside of combat. The three players are; Tempest Cleric, some sort of Monk and some sort of archery Fighter all at Lv 1.
>>
>>53434367
???

you have the strongest skill monkey in the game with lore bard

your party composition is very strong
>>
>>53434423
Warlock is like the Champion Fighter of casters. You're mostly just doing one thing, over and over, and that's fine. You'll be good at it, but you aren't as complex as you could be.
>>
>>53434426
First dungeon might be a bit annoying if none of you are ready for traps and locks, and one of you (probably the cleric) will have to not dump Charisma, but otherwise you'll be fine.
>>
>>53433870
That's a level 1 spell.
>>
Is it possible to make martials as interesting as casters?
>>
>>53434482
>4e
yes, if people stopped sperging at every opportunity, so no. no it is not possible.
>>
>>53434423
Warlocks are horrifically powerful if your DM lets you short-rest consistently. They also have the best cantrip in the game flat out and a suite of fantastic passives(that frankly should come at higher levels) But like you said, they are pretty basic btiches, there will be a lot of "downtime" where you are just going through the motions, you don't have the resources to play toolmaster with your spells like a Wizard can.

However Hexblade's nova is so good its fucking disgusting. 4d6+mod+lifedrinker cha-mod, plus 2d8 per spell level(that recharges on shortrests). They are the uber paladins of smiting with huge burst and some medium utility.
>>
So where are these Chult spoilers coming from anyway? Gimme a source, 4chans.
>>
>>53434482
No but that's the point
>>
I'm doing up a chart of weapons qualities, so players can make their own weapon. So far I'm using a -1, +1 system for qualities and there's a couple things I want to know peoples thoughts on.

Two-Handed Reach Melee Finesse weapons that can't be Heavy, they'd deal 1d8 damage. Is that reasonable or too powerful? I was going to make Two-Handed not available to Finesse but I'm sure someone will want it.

Are having the following NA combinations allowed reasonable? Finesse can't be Heavy. Heavy requires Two-Handed. Light can't be Two-Handed. Versatile can't be Light or Two-Handed.

I'm thinking of only having Damage types factor into cost, with Bludgeoning being the cheapest and Piercing being the most expensive.

The damage progression goes 1d4, 1d6, 1d8, 1d10, 12 and then 2d6. I was thinking of adding 2d4 but that seems like a bitch to balance in the system.

Also anyone have ideas for how to put Versatile in? I can't make it -1 Die Size like most things because then it's just worse.
>>
>>53434482
That would require casterfags to cede at least one smidgen of their power.
>>
>>53434482
Not without casters losing their fucking minds.
>>
>>53434503
Check the past threads. Notice how all the OP images are black people. WotC monitors /5eg/ and has been dropping these hints by memeing about sanic Tabaxis and black character art for some time now but we were too stupid to put it all together.
>>
>>53434405
Oh sorry, I meant eldritch knight, not hexblade. How about then?
>>
>>53434522
Don't forget some of the brainwashed martials, too.
>i'm just here for a simple class, i can't handle anything complex
>martials are supposed to be the boring role that's just good but not great in combat
>yeah we don't have any utility but that's the trade-off for getting TWO attacks
>it's always been this way
>if you want to have fun play another system
>not realistic
>uh it's magic it's SUPPOSED to be way better than mundane stuff
>>
>>53434556
those last two points are the casterfags talking
>>
>>53432555
PLAN NOTHING

ROLL RANDOM DICE IN FRONT OF PLAYERS THAT MEAN NOTHING

MAKE EVERYTHING UP ON THE FLY

BLATANTLY DISREGARD THE RULES

this is the only way to play.
>>
So, I'm playing with the idea of rolling a Goblin Cleric/Paladin. However, we won't worship a god in the normal fashion. Near his childhood den, there was a large monster that lived in the area, that his mother always talked up, in boogyman fashion, to keep her little whelps from getting eaten. This eventually developed into my goblin viewing this beast in a worshipful way.

I know paladins and clerics in 5E get their powers from their faith, not their actual gods, but I'm still having issues justifying him having powers from a random owlbear or similar.
>>
>>53434458
I guess that makes sense, and thing is that makes non bladelocks just seem like absolutely no fun to play. It's like your an archer but you don't even get to be legolas levels of cool.

>>53434499
I get that, is hexblade good just leveling to 20 as a warlock or is it something you should dip fighter for armor proficiencies and whatnot.

I guess my major disappointment is with the tome and chain, they really want to be casters but are just so held back by the slots it hurts. It's also sad cuz I think archfey and GOO warlocks have neato lore and a few UA patrons are ok.
>>
>>53433913
Since you'll be using your slots mostly for smites, you don't actually need a high CHA. You can dump that and INT to make up for the MADness that is Hexblade. Assuming you're going to get the Cursebringer invocation, you should get GWM for obvious synergy, and take Booming Blade or Greenflame Blade (or both) as cantrips to make up for your lack of extra attack. The Devil's Sight invocation paired with Darkness cast on yourself is a good way to get persistent advantage against most foes, and it helps with your increased crit range from the 1st level feature.

In terms of magic items, Rod of the Pact Keeper is your best bet. It gives you an extra spell slot as an action or bonus action, which is a 50% increase until level 11, along with a spell attack bonus but that bit doesn't matter that much.

In terms of stats, max STR, put just 14 into DEX for Medium Armour efficiency, and the rest into CON. The mental stats are whatever you want, but you likely won't have much left over.
>>
>>53434616
>I know paladins and clerics in 5E get their powers from their faith, not their actual gods, but I'm still having issues justifying him having powers from a random owlbear or similar.

trickery/nature/death domain, anon. Think of what KIND of boogyman story the mom told, was it a crafty boog, that tricked you into the forest to eat you? Was it a great big gobble ya up boog? Or was it an OH SHIT! NOW I'M DEAD boog?

Don't think of the actual creature, but the stories behind it.
>>
File: 1495412353771.jpg (17KB, 274x540px) Image search: [Google]
1495412353771.jpg
17KB, 274x540px
Even - fighter
Odd - paladin
0 - Hexblade warlock
dubs and beyond - 3rd reply chooses

Race:
second to last number
1: Dwarf
2: Dwarf
3: Triton
4: Human
5: Half Elf
6: Orc
7: Half orc
8: Lizardfolk
9: Aasimar
0: Dragonborn

dubs and beyond - 2nd reply chooses
>>
>>53434571
>>53434556
Saw something linked here that was like weapon specific rules for martials. It seemed like a pretty good idea but also kinda seemed like it was redundant with battlemaster stuff. Is something like that enough to make martials more fun for ppl?
>>
>>53434692
>Is something like that enough to make martials more fun for ppl?

the biggest issue is that in the three Tiers of play, martials only have access to one, while casters have access to all three.
>>
>>53434634
You can roll straight Warlock if you want to Hexblade but you'll be a bit MAD if you plan on using a GW. This can be solved a few ways though, either through a 1 point dip in Fighter for Heavy armor prof and Great weapon fighting, or by burning a feat to get Heavy armored.

Or you can just pump DEX instead of CHA to get milage out of medium armor. I'd recommend an invocation in false life(huge boost early on) and take advantage of utility spells that don't need CHA to keep you afloat such as Armor of Agathas, Mirror image is great, you get shield(semi-trap option but good if you know when to use it) and so on.

You for sure would be a lean-mean smiting machine though. Their damage is unreal, but you pay for it in other ways.
>>
File: 1484866462217.jpg (110KB, 1024x819px) Image search: [Google]
1484866462217.jpg
110KB, 1024x819px
>>53434677
Triton Paladin of treachery
>>
>>53434677
Paladin Oath of the Ancients dwarf
>>
>>53434677
L I Z A R D
I M M O R T A L
M Y S T I C

Show the soft-skins the power of your jungle boogie.
>>
>>53434313
Seems pretty good. Do you think your DM is about to throw Typhon at you or something?
>>
>>53434771
>>53434767
Alright.

Immortal Dwarf Mystic. Haven't ever made a mystic before.
>>
>>53434677
Paladin oath of devotion since third reply went full retard.
>>
>>53434771
tell me more...
>>
What's the role of a Mystic, exactly? Is it meant to be close combat or ranged, or both? There's so much here I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around it.
>>
>>53434793
>Dorf Mystic
That's actually fucking good. You may want to do something than Immortal though to take advantage of free armor and weapon proficiencies.
>>
>>53434812
Depends how you choose to play it.
>>
>>53434812
It's the build-a-class. Your archetype and discipline choices determine how you play. You can build tanky, melee damage bruiser, blaster master, party support, CC support, or skill / utility monkey. Or mix and match several of those to make whatever the fuck you want.
>>
>>53434826
>>53434839
Well alrighty then. These are some damn cool psionic powers. Dammit, I thought I had decided on being a Barbarian, but this sounds awesome. Fuck me, I have too much difficulty deciding my class.
>>
>>53434556
Those are all caster arguements. Fighter is staight up the best at combat, followed by a paladin subclass only available if you fuck up at being a regular paladin and the DM says it's ok.
>>
>>53434277
Good ol' blaxploitation.
>>
>>53434889
Mystic's fun for being an almost-edgy faggot without being total edgy faggot. You can be entirely normal, but then someone tries to start a bar brawl and with the softest of backhands, you can send them 70 feet across the room and crashing against the wall and basically exploding on impact if you so choose.

If you do roll Mystic, voluntarily nerf Occluded Mind. The wording is very exploitable as written.
>>
>>53434654
Ooh, I actually kinda like that. Maybe Mama Gobbo just made up a beasty to keep the whelps in line, "Don't go over there past those berry bushes, the XXXX will get you!" "Misbehave and the XXXX will eat you in your sleep!" And then one day, by complete accident, the fear of XXXX was put in my Gobbo, because he did go past those berry bushes, and some great unseen monster tried to kill him. Now he's a firm believer in XXXX.

I think death domain would be a bit harsh, but I guess would thematically fit. Trickery not really, because he honestly believes this horrible, child eating monster is out there. I don't really want to do war domain, but it would also fit, goblins being subservient to those in power, he recognizes the XXXX as the baddest beasty around and wants some of its power.

Fuck me, it's always the worst when you have a good background, but can't think of a thematic class/feature.
>>
>mystic

ok, do mystics get ANY discipline at level 1, then the bonus ones of the order?
>>
Why would a Mystic take the Psionic Talent, Mind Meld, when they get Telepathy at level 2?
>>
>>53434975
>Fuck me, it's always the worst when you have a good background, but can't think of a thematic class/feature.
that's why we are here, anon. Get what you WANT laid out, and we can help you find something that fits.
>>
>>53435006
Telepathy is talking TO the thing. Mind Meld is talking WITH the thing. 1 way vs 2 way communication.

>>53434999
Mystics can choose any discipline from any order. Order grants bonus discrplines specifically from the Order.
>>
File: 1493707190049.jpg (31KB, 426x475px) Image search: [Google]
1493707190049.jpg
31KB, 426x475px
who else /wantstomystic/ here but finds they can't be bothered?
>>
>>53433360

I'm willing to guess that Volo included Tabaxi specifically as a precursor to their next campaign. Presumably they ran into R&D issues with Elemental Evil/etc by including it directly into the campaign book.

Also, one of the recent DnD podcasts covering Chult lore effectively admits something is coming related to it.
>>
I really wish the Spear Mastery feat they have as a UA was included in the PHB. Wanted to make a spear using Paladin with decent damage.
>>
>>53433360
The tabaxi of Chult are not the tabaxi of Maztica. The tabaxi of Chult are a human tribe that share the same name.
>>
>>53434999
Yes. Most archetypes start with three disciplines known.

>>53435006
>Telepathy
>At 2nd level, your mind awakens to the ability to communicate via telepathy. You can telepathically speak to any creature you can see within 120 feet of you in this manner. You don’t need to share a language with the creature for it to understand your telepathic messages, but the creature must be able to understand at least one language or be telepathic itself.
You can talk to it as long as it's smart. Animals? No, they lack a language.

>Mind Meld
>As a bonus action, you can communicate telepathically with one willing creature you can see within 120 feet of you. The target must have an Intelligence of at least 2, otherwise this talent fails and the action is wasted.
>This communication can occur until the end of the current turn. You don’t need to share a language with the target for it to understand your telepathic utterances, and it understands you even if it lacks a language. You also gain access to one memory of the target’s choice, gaining perfect recall of one thing it saw or did.
You can talk to stupid shit as long as it's too stupid, including most animals (but not most insects). It requires a willingness unlike Telepathy, but you also get free information from your target with Mind Meld. This is useful if you're, say, talking to a commoner and he's trying to describe a bandit but is shit at it; you can Meld with him and know exactly what the guy looked like.
>>
>>53435026
It's definitely a lot more work than other classes. Lots to read, many decisions to make that completely change your playstyle. Plus finding character art is difficult. I'm trying to figure out what I wanna do with it.
>>
>>53435071

Owl is a language.
>>
Is monster hunter any good?

Thinking of Battlemaster, monster hunter or samurai
>>
>>53435026
I got halfway into disciplines and got bored. I'll read them when it's official content, but I'm not going to read it all for it all just to change
>>
>>53434975
>>53435019
for example, it's a beast that pretends it's a nice juicy squirrel until you get close enough that it changes form and gets you with it's poisonous claws, other times it hides in the shadows, vanishing and reappearing in bushes behind you, or appearing in multiple places at once
Bam! Trickery cleric, explains disguise, invisibility, poison attacks, invoke duplicity, etc

A big, hulking beast with scales like diamonds and able to snap trees with it's mighty blows?
War Domain.

Ancient moss monster, impervious to fire and lightning, with a touch as cold as death and can command the very trees around you to strangle and rip you apart?
Nature domain.
>>
>>53434367
but bards are the ultimate skillmonkey????
>>
>>53435019
Well, my original idea was for a runty goblin cleric/paladin, who like I said earlier, was fed monster stories from his mother. I was planning on having the monster be either an Owlbear or something similar. The Mama Gobbo fed him so many stories, he began to believe the Owlbear/etc was a god. Eventually he got pushed out of the den due to X reason, and struck out into the world, where everybody laughed at him for worshiping an owlbear. Undefeated, his mission in life is to convert as many followers as possible to the light of the owlbear, handing out pamphlets, giving emboldened speeches, all with a childlike naivete.

For comedic effect, change an owlbear/similar monster to something pathetically weak, or stupid, like a giant opossum.

But I kinda like the route >>53434654 took with it. Less actual monster, more the utter, childlike horror that comes with actually having a real monster outside your house. Can still swing the conversion route, "Have you heard of our lord and master Cthulu? He eats brains." So like I said, death domain could definitely work. I also kind of like the visual of him walking through town chiding children, "Don't disobey your mother, or else Slenderman will pull you into the gutters and disembowel you." But I kind of feel it's going a bit darker than I wanted.
>>
Do you guys ever use weapons that aren't the best ones you can use for flavor?
>>
>>53435177
I'll be using a whip in my upcoming CoS game.

I also had a DM let me refluff a spear into a one-handed (but versatile) non-reach 1d8 piercing weapon so I could hoplite it up. I say that's "not the best" because it isn't a rapier and piercing sucks.
>>
>>53435177
no, not really. poles have always been my favorite weapons and they just so happen to be strong as fuck, but i've used daggers/crossbows out of necessity on things that can't use halberds.
>>
>>53435172

>But I kinda like the route >>53434654

haha both those anons are me. What i meant was the monsters in my second post ARE the exaggerated stories, for example, a simple owlbear could easily turn into a beast whose hide cannot be pierced by the strongest of goblin spears, and whose mighty claws can burst the thickest trees into splinters.
>>
>>53435177
I mostly play spellcasters but I will never play a Rogue without Shortswords and Shortbows. Rolling all d6's is nice.

I've got a player in my current game who's a Paladin with a Mace. Me and the DM have done the adventure before (LMoP) and he's changed the +1 Longsword you find early on into a Mace for him

My backup character's a Bard/Fighter Dual-Wielding a Whip and a Dagger.
>>
If I'm dual-wielding and have extra attack, and use one attack with one weapon and the other attack with a different weapon, do I need TWF or the Dual Wielder feat? I don't actually plan to use the Bonus Action attack much but my DM uses Beyond Damage Dice so I'm interested in having multiple options available while I attack.

Basically I don't want to use actually use TWF, I just want to be able to attack with two different weapons in my round.
>>
>>53435172
>For comedic effect, change an owlbear/similar monster to something pathetically weak, or stupid, like a giant opossum.
just a really wily badger that has had it up to here with those fucking goblins.
>>
>tfw I have great ideas for games but I hate DMing
>>
File: Thinking.jpg (6KB, 260x193px) Image search: [Google]
Thinking.jpg
6KB, 260x193px
>>53435306

Do you hate DMing or do you hate your players.
>>
>>53435324
It's DMing, I hate having so many things to manage and keep straight.
Although a couple of my players and particularly devoted to doing ABSOLUTELY nothing outside of combat and playing on their phones instead of the game that we all take time out of our days to play.
I'm also a shit writer so I only run games out of books like a plebeian.
>>
Hey so I heard Barb5/Rogue15 is the "best" distribution for barbarogue. Would it really be that bad if I go other way around? Maybe not exactly 15/5 but majority of levels in Barbarian. I am making a half-orc and like the idea of stacking the crit damage on Barbarian and some of the other barb stuff. And I want to be more of a barb than a rogue, we got plenty of skill monkeys.
>>
What is the point of the bonus action pummel for kensei? The pummel does 1d4, or 2d4 if hitting two people, while martial arts is at least 1d4+3 and it only gets better as you level
>>
>>53435375
it doesn't matter, you aren't getting anywhere near level 20 anyways.
>>
>>53435376
In the revised version they changed it, it's just so Archer Kensai don't lose as much bonus action damage for not going into melee.
>>
>>53435376

You can make a glaive kensei and do the pummel. What you can have is a dex monk PAM GWM.
>>
Just had an idea. V.Human with PAM Nature Cleric 1/Monk X. Can be using bonus action and main action attacks with Wisdom while keeping their Save DC high.

What would be the best Monk for this? Long Death seems like it because so much is keyed off Wisdom, Tranquility would also work.
>>
>>53435197
Ah! Fair enough.

I like those takes as well. The owlbear for war domain totally fits, using your example. An old, grizzled owlbear that the tribe has had many run ins with, that they sacrifice stuff to to keep it away. Unfortunately, I already have a War Domain Cleric, and I'm afraid I'll play the Gobbo too similarly.

I could do the trickery one, have it be a cloaker or a loose mimic or something. Would also fit more with the scared-into-obedience standpoint as well.

>>53435285
I like it. Maybe an Awakened Badger that got loose from a passing wizard, who took the tribe under it's paw.

Or, like you said, just a normal badger that repeatedly kicks the tribes ass in various ways. The "church" is peppered with sayings like "Never follow a badger down a hole."
>>
>>53435403
>>53435412
I guess it's also damage, instead of requiring you to hit the enemy again.
Which weapons would be best to get? Longbow, Glaive/Halberd and a greatsword/greataxe/maul for when you want to get an unarmed attack in for +2 AC?
>>
File: 204_master.jpg (118KB, 620x489px) Image search: [Google]
204_master.jpg
118KB, 620x489px
How advanced are the civilizations of sea elves? Are they more primitive and/or barbaric than high and wood elves? And in comparison with the merfolk?
>>
>>53435486
Well I'd highly recomend you use the new Kensai because it's better balanced and fixed some issues it has.

They can't use Heavy Weapons now though and only get 2 at level 3, but keep gaining more weapons as they level.

I'd recommend Longbow and Longsword with the new version.
>>
>>53435189
It bothers me that the spear isn't versatile to begin with.

Spears seem like weapons kobolds would love to use. Hell, Dragonshields in VGM use them. When I think small tribal race, I think groups stabbing bigger things with spears. But since spears are strength only, you're fucked if you try to use one as a kobold PC
>>
>>53435542
>Light Spear
Finesse, 1d8
>Warspear
1d8 (1d10 Versatile)
>>
>>53435556

No Light Spear in PHB
>>
Could I play an oath of conquest paladin like judge dredd?

I AM THE LAW, but be "good" and go over the line too many times as far as dealing with criminals and evil
>>
>>53435502
why are sea elves even a thing, is there sea humans as well? what is wrong with merfolk (and i guess tritons also exist for some reason???).

fuck and remove elves.
>>
File: Laugh.png (129KB, 304x378px) Image search: [Google]
Laugh.png
129KB, 304x378px
>>53435624

did you get cucked by an elf or something
>>
>>53435556
why would anyone dual wield spears, it's just as stupid as dual wielding rapiers...
>>
How do you deal with entire party that can take to the sky?
>>
>>53435692
arrows?
fireballs??

unless the entire party has natural flight, then just break their conc. and have them get fucking wrecked on the fall.
>>
>>53435692
How are they doing it? If via spell, then that's fine - they are burning resource for it. If not, aka you let them play as Volo races, fight them with dragons and orcs riding on giant vultures, like I did
>>
>>53435639
Not him, but always remember this simple mantra:
>FAE
>ARE
>GAY

>>53435692
Fire Emblem archers, flying tarrasques, anything spell or effect that reduces Speed to 0.
>>
File: El Coloso - Goya.jpg (5MB, 2919x3222px) Image search: [Google]
El Coloso - Goya.jpg
5MB, 2919x3222px
What's the better adventure: Den of the Hill Giants (Storm King's Thunder) or Steading of the Hill Giant Chief (Tales of the Yawning Portal)?
>>
>>53435758
Volo races can fly? I thought the only flying races were aarakocra and tiefling?
>>
>>53435692
Things like turbulence if they go too high (imposing concentration checks, if nothing else) could help, or just ... Take it to the sky, if they wanna fly. Make it a campaign center around the invasion of the fiends on flying castles that fires doomsday laser on towns.
>>
>>53435790
he's probably retarded.
>>
>>53432081
EXPIDITION TO BARRIER PEAKS FIGHT ME
>>
>>53435790
I forgot about aarakocra - I thought they were Volo, actually, and... Tieflings can fly?!

But well, there's Aasimar who can fly for 1 minute a day
>>
>>53435575
Yeah, I think that's the point they were making. A suggested homebrew modification to make spears a little better.
>>
>>53435692
Flying dudes, guess that are strong ranged fighters, guys that can dispel magic is really nasty if they are high up.
>>
File: 710px-Stromkarlen_1884.jpg (376KB, 710x1024px) Image search: [Google]
710px-Stromkarlen_1884.jpg
376KB, 710x1024px
>>53435624
Sea elves are around way before d&d. They were pretty much male nymphs in Germanic Mythology. Their modern counterpart is more like Iron Age underwater people, though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neck_(water_spirit)
>>
File: thugnificent.pdf (567KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
thugnificent.pdf
567KB, 1x1px
Why did they take GW away from kensai monk? Just let me have fun wizards.
>>
>>53435879
Fuck you and your shitty meme character.
>>
>>53434168
Ancients pally with mageslayer to not get nuked and keep the casters in line when they get uppity
>>
>>53435879
Because it was a Monk that just had other peoples damage, awesome AC and was still a Monk.

Now it's a Monk with a frontline focus which is alright, it's still one of the better Monk options.
>>
>>53433913
Just take 2 or three levels of fighter for heavy armor prof so you don't have to worry about Dex and can pump cha and strength more.
>>
>>53436147

Multiclassing to fighter does not give you heavy armor prof
>>
>>53434816
Nah go hill dwarf immortal mystic and take the tough feat.
>>
>>53436165
If you go fighter first you get it.
>>53436147
Or if you go pure hexblade you can burn a feat to take heavy armored since you gain medium prof when you get the Hexblade feature.
>>
My PC's are currently on a flying ship and I'm trying to figure out some interesting things that could occur. What are some good flying/air encounters?
>>
File: satyr1td4z.jpg (1MB, 1280x1158px) Image search: [Google]
satyr1td4z.jpg
1MB, 1280x1158px
>>53435774
I'm pretty okay with teh gay.
>>
>>53436206

>Griffin riding orcs
>Dragons
>Wyverns
>Pterodactyls
>>
>>53435879
Is this serious or am i retarded for getting baited?
>>
>>53435754
I am more concerned about them doing suicide drop on high value target than involuntary falling to the ground.
>>
>>53436206
Sky whales.
>>
>>53435484
I prefer just a normal, everyday badger. Not only is it funnier, but seriously, badgers are mean cunts that can really wreck your shit if you piss them off. Even once went to a wildlife sanctuary and had the staff telling us that not even the bears fuck with badgers.
>>
>>53436206
Winged dragonborn fighting kenku assassin.
Sky pirate, they are pirate but in the sky.
A leak to the elemental plane of air.
A gaint spider web up in the mountain range.
Lynx like beast that leap great heightto catch prey.
>>53436242
Or like my player falling death.
>>
>>53436236
It's serious, I remember when some anons were trying to fix UA Kensei and their big stumbling block was a handful of other anons whining about not being able to use Greatswords because they wanted to be Cloud from FF7 or some shit.
>>
>>53436394
Can't they refluff a Longsword into their super retard blade?
>>
>>53433413
>>53433503
>Finish the session with a Bugbear TPK is pretty cool.
My very first introduction to D&D was almost like this and it was AWESOME. 3 out of our 6 party members died to that damned bugbear, but it was exhilarating.

Managing to circle back around the cave and kill it with a lucky sneak attack before he could reach the other 2 surviving PCs was pretty great too.
>>
>>53436436
B-but muh blade that's so big no one else but me can weild cuz i'm so super strong and handsome!
>>
What's the best Mystic to play if I want a lot of out of combat utility and the rest of the party is an Inquisitive Rogue and a Fiendlock?
>>
what is the most blastery/mind fuckery mystic possible?

I'm thinking full awakened with mostly awakened disciplines, even if at the cost of some early general utility.

>psychic assault
>telepathic contact
>mastery of force
I'm thinking precognition and nomadic chameleon, but nomadic mind, nomadic step, psychic disruption, etc. all sound nice as well.

6th level, btw.
>>
>>53436480
Wu Jen. Get access to Wizard spells.
>>
File: 1492701829070.jpg (171KB, 1105x735px) Image search: [Google]
1492701829070.jpg
171KB, 1105x735px
>>53436455
>>53436436
>>53436394
>game literally about power fantasies and playing pretend
>people who want a big sword are dumb lmao

childish
>>
>>53436394
I remember that they were bitching so much about their exploit being taken away.
>>
>>53436499
>I need specific rules for my character
>No I don't want those ones that do it, I want new ones

If you want a big sword while Unarmoured you can be a Barbarian or versatile a Longsword as a Kensai. At least it's not as bad as gish players who keep trying to make gishes when at least 15 options can already do it because

>It's not the way Pathfinder did it
>>
File: Folding multi-bladed iron fleam.jpg (51KB, 519x418px) Image search: [Google]
Folding multi-bladed iron fleam.jpg
51KB, 519x418px
I need a verdict.

Would a giant fleam used as weapon deal slashing or piercing damage? Specifically, the type that's blunt except for a triangular blade.
>>
>>53436561
Piercing.
>>
>>53436556
I really want a proper gish and I've never played pathfinder, there's something about arcane magic that's x10 better than divine famalam
>>
>>53436570
>I really want a proper gish
Valor Bard
Sword College Bard
EDK
Hexblade
Bladesinger
Take your pick, famalamadingdong
>>
>>53436570
There are like 5 proper gish'es in 5e these days.
>>
>>53436570
Eldritch Knight
Paladin
Arcane Archer
Bladesinger
Arcana Clerics
Stone Sorcerer
Dragon Sorcerer/Fighter
Fighter/Wizard
Arcane Trickster
Sorcerer/Paladin
Hexblade
Valor Bard
Swords Bard
Lore Bard with level 6 Shiellege and BB
Mystics
Ranger
War Cleric

Those are off the top of my head. There's no mechanical difference between types of magic at all and in some settings Clerics can even draw their power from an ideal.

You can already play a gish you double nigga.
>>
>>53436570
Paladin 2/Sorcerer X. Congratulations you're a gish.
>>
>>53435026
I don't like thing tho
>>
No i meant one that's not shit

>>53436588
>Valor
shit
>Sword bard
shit
>EDK
boring
>hexblade
maybe
>bladesinger
its just a wizard

>>53436607
>Paladin
>Mystic
>Cleric
(You)
>>
>>53436655
just because you dont like it, doesn't mean it isn't "proper"
>>
>>53436655
>Paladin
>Mystic
>Cleric
>Bad

>Hexblade
>Maybe
Nigga
>>
>>53436655
Why can't your Paladin or Mystic be refluffed as Arcane Magic?

More importantly what about Stone Sorcerer who is literally using abilities from the 4e Sword Mage? It's made to use Smite spells (Which scale only slightly worse then Paladin Smites) plus BB/GFB to be directly combining Arcane and Martial powers. If they renamed it Sword Mage would you accept it?
>>
File: 1495081565760.png (519KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1495081565760.png
519KB, 1280x720px
>>53436676
>Paladin
>Mystic
>Cleric
>Bad
nope, they're just not gish
>>53436671
I can't really argue
>>53436689
Stone Sorcerer is sick actually you're right, renaming it Sword Mage or similar would be nice. StoneSorc being UA is really the only problem
>>
>>53436726
>Uses magic and melee
>Isn't a gish
Ah so we're being arbitrary then, good to know.
>>
>>53436733
listen you dumb cunt gish is ARCANE
>>
>>53436737
there is absolutely no difference in magical source in 5e, you goober.
>>
>>53436726
A gishes definition is literally a character who uses magic and martial powers at the same time. In a game with 0 distinction between different types of magic considering everything can be counterspelled and anti-magic then there's nothing stopping you saying "My Cleric gets Arcane Magic from a god".

>>53436737
Which there's plenty of fucking options for that are perfectly good.
>>
>>53436737
Still arbitrary, Gishes are people who use both. Your REEEEEEEEEEEE ARCANE REEEEEEEE is pointless.
>>
File: 1408716498228.jpg (51KB, 450x604px) Image search: [Google]
1408716498228.jpg
51KB, 450x604px
>>53436570
>I really want a proper gish
You're full of shit. You want to a gish the way the guys on Pathfinder General describe it. "Proper" gishes were literally just fighter/mages. Eldritch Knight was explicitly created to fill that exact niche. You don't need a snowflake build.
>>
Shoving prone than grapple is quite nasty, but is it worth it?
>>
File: Arcane Warden v0.12.pdf (4MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Arcane Warden v0.12.pdf
4MB, 1x1px
>>53436570
Use at own risk. I have a feeling that WotC will shit out some half-wizard archetypes once they get bored of wizard-half-everything-else archetypes.
>>
>>53436747
>pretending mystic, cleric and paladin are anything like a gish

yeah getting my power from god is fine, holy shit how dumb are you.

If I didn't care about the details Paladin is the clear gish of 5E but it uses divine magic so no
>>53436750
Yes there are good options, my argument was something different
>>53436757
I thought you guys would know the difference
>>53436773
EDK sucks and more importantly is boring as fuck
>>53436790
I'll take a look, thanks
>>
>>53436775
how many other martials are in the group? the more guys you can add to the circlejerk, the stronger it is.
>>
>>53436570
The Gish are just Githyanki who were powerful Fighter/Wizards. A "Proper Gish" would a Githyanki who multiclasses Eldritch Knight and an Evoker.

Don't hide behind wanting a Gish when it's nothing like you want.
>>
>>53436801
>but it uses divine magic so no
no it doesnt. divine magic doesn't exist. Neither does primal or arcane magic. It's just Magic.
>>
>>53436775
It's worth it if you have a buddy with spear nearby to stab him while you hold him down.
>>
>>53436801
>divine magic
Can you find a single line in the book about the mechanics of Divine Magic or is just fluff?
>>
>>53436801
>Find the class pages
>Cross out Divine in the fluff
>Put in the word Arcane

Wow it's suddenly a Spellsword!
>>
>>53436775
It's a good tactic if you outnumber the enemy.
It's a bad tactic if the enemy outnumbers you.
>>
>>53436817
>>53436839
>>53436861
Yeah it's all fluff but I don't want to be that guy who goes to a new dm and mentions 'I want to be a paladin but I don't follow a god oh and also I learnt all my magic.'

You've all mostly convinced me though, Stone Sorc and Hexblade are good enough. I won't give up the fact that EDK sucks though
>>
>>53436909
>I want to be a paladin but I don't follow a god
you do know that 5e paladins don't necessarily worship gods, right? They get no power from deities at all. All their power and magic comes from within.
>>
>>53436927
Just stop replying, the bait isn't that good
>>
File: GRETCHENNNNNNN.gif (2MB, 140x140px) Image search: [Google]
GRETCHENNNNNNN.gif
2MB, 140x140px
Lawful Neutral is such a boring, dull alignment.
>>
>>53436936
but i'm BORRRREEEEED!
>>
>>53436909
Paladins don't have to follow gods dude, they just swear an Oath they draw power from within themselves. Not even against the rules to play a Paladin like a gish.

EK doesn't suck at all, it's just defensive and takes until level 6-7 to get going. It's by far the tanky'st Fighter.

>>53436940
I've always found Chaotic Good to be the worst. I mean we get it, you're not creative and just playing every famous protagonist in the last 5 years.
>>
>>53436790
Just got back from reading this and it's pretty great actually, seems strong, a anti mage build with this seems fun
>>
>it's another 'group is going to fail thanks to a couple of friends-of-a-friend who don't bother to fucking glance at a PHB and wont get off their phones' episode

fuck I wish I could play D&D alone
>>
>edgy, cannibalistic Oath of Conquest paladin
>goal of raising an army and taking over the world
>3rd level character
it's like this person has no sense of scale.
>>
What's a cool god for a Forge original Favored Soul?
>>
>>53435542
Spear is 1d6/1d8 versatile tho.
>>
>>53435542
I'm retarded

I meant finesse
>>
File: alfred.jpg (7KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
alfred.jpg
7KB, 300x168px
Would It be possible to run a character like this who want to purge abominations with my huge wheel?
I'm new to tabletop sorry if this is a dumb question
>>
>>53436958
Why 5 years specifically?
>>
>>53437181
If you're alright with using nothing but improvised weapons, sure.
>>
>>53437181
I legitimately cannot tell what is going on with the picture because of the artifacting
>>
Another martial question, could you attack during motion such as long jump, high jump or falling? Good night.
>>
>>53437215

I don't see why not. Depending on the DM, you might be given advantage (for cool points) or disadvantage (because it's harder).

Me, I'd give advantage for cool points.
>>
>>53437100
Two handed longswords should also be finesse since it's easier for a weak person to use one longer weapon with two hands, than to one hand an arming sword. Also warbows objectively have minimum strength requirements IRL. The whole Str vs Dex portfolio shit in D&D has never been built on logic, just like the lack of economy. The sooner you give up the better.
>>
>>53437181
Grinding Wheel
Heavy
Two Handed
1d8 bludgeoning damage
Special: if you have advantage on an attack with this weapon and the attack hits, the enemy must make a DC 11 Strength save or take 1d4 bludgeoning damage and fall prone.

Probably not balanced, but I also wrote this in two minutes.
>>
>>53437187
First number I hit. The point is 99% of major movies, books and games use Chaotic Good protagonists and it's easy to do.

Basically you blindly follow plot hooks because it's "the right thing to do" but you act like a murderhobo who doesn't care about the way he does things. It's the easiest to play alignment which is cool for new players but too many people get stuck being unable to do anything else with characters.

I find a well done Lawful Good or True Neutral to be interesting characters. Though all can be done right, even Chaotic Evil PC's have a place if they're not retarded.
>>
>>53437053
Moradin. Dorf god. Lord of the forge. Eats dragons for breakfast and shits thunder on orcs for fun.
>>
>>53435624
Triton are the sea elves now though
>>
>>53437050
Eh, let him dream. If he dies at level 5 he'll probably rage though
>>
File: wheel.webm (3MB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
wheel.webm
3MB, 800x450px
>>53437206
He wanted to post something like this.
>>
Alright retarded question here that has been stumping me late into the night. How do I determine my proficiency bonus in a skill check if I am proficient in that skill. I keep rereading the section on ability checks and skills in the player handbook and have found nothing to help me. Is it just your modifier from your base abilities and being proficient in that skill lets you add to that d20 roll?
>>
>>53437823
Your proficiency bonus can be found in each of the class tables. It's determined by your total level (+2 to start, +3 at 5th, +4 at 9th, and so on).
>>
>>53437835
thank you
>>
File: proficiency.png (887KB, 617x721px) Image search: [Google]
proficiency.png
887KB, 617x721px
>>53437823
Yeah, it's just the proficiency bonus listed on the class charts.
>>
File: 1467154785772.png (320KB, 625x351px) Image search: [Google]
1467154785772.png
320KB, 625x351px
>Stoked to play for once instead of DM
>Player who is DMing and me are talking
>Get to talking about barbarians
>Explain some of the features because he hasn't looked too into them
>"Oh that's broken" becomes the thing he says over and over
>"Yeah barbarians are broken so I'll just have to throw twice as many things at the party and they're going to die."
>Turns out his GF is gonna play a barbarian as well

Some days I forget why I forever DM then I'm reminded, normally wheneverI get the rare chance to play. If the rest of the party is a bard, ranger and wizard how well do you think they'll fair? Also best set up for a barb using a glaive PAM to try and keep us alive since I see the shit show coming. Was also leaning towards totem barbarian.
>>
>>53437956
Should add I've already set my race as Goliath and we are using point buy, feats and multiclassing are on the table.
>>
One of my players (a champion) wants turn a pegasus the party ran across into a nightmare and make it his mount.
The rest of the party is down to help him with this, they're dicks.

Should I allow this? Would it be overpowered if he succeeded?
>>
>>53438027
It really depends on where you guys normally adventure. If you're worried about the huge fly speed you can cut it down to 40ft because it's carrying someone.

It doesn't seem terrible to me, but then again it's all about how you build encounters and where they normally adventure.
>>
>>53437956
>wizard in the party
>DM complains about the Barbarian

How competent are they? The wizard will probably be fine if he's had experience with casters before, the bard will either be great or die within the first two sessions and the ranger is most likely screwed.
>>
File: AMG-sea-hag.jpg (35KB, 452x624px) Image search: [Google]
AMG-sea-hag.jpg
35KB, 452x624px
My campaign is gonna have a coven of a Green, Night, and Sea Hag in it, and the PCs just briefly met the Night Hag who is disguised as a powerful noble in the city, but I don't know what too o with the Coven besides have the Night Hag kill some NPCs they might know over several days. They just ended up in an underground lake connected to a Kobold Lair, and are being forced too use rafts to get out, so next session I'm going to have them encounter the Sea Hag, but I'm kind of lost on what her lair might be and what's around it. I'm thinking an Island in the middle of the lake they need to pass to get to the exit, but I don't know how it should look or if it'd have minions and function as a mini-dungeon. Safe bet would be bones of dead Large fish and water beasts (they just fought a Plesiosaur) but I want something unique.
>>
File: bloody_nine.jpg (2MB, 1378x1454px) Image search: [Google]
bloody_nine.jpg
2MB, 1378x1454px
Who's the best Barbarian in fiction?
>>
>>53438062
Unfortunately the wizard is not experienced with casters beyond a cleric, the bard is my younger brother so I can try and steer him a bit in building to help and the ranger most likely unless the DM focus me and the other barb.

This is also the first wizard someone has played beyond a handful of sessions because he dropped out due to life happening.
>>
Thinking of doing a Warlock/Paladin in an upcoming cheesy short campaign (Everyone is doing powergaming shit so no worries there).

Which seems the best for these?

>Half Elf for CHA
>Warlock 3 (Book+Shillelagh), Paladin X (Quarterstaff+shield)
>Hexblade 2, Paladin X (Shield and some one-handed weapon, maybe Quarterstaff again)
>One of the above except Warlock 5 or 6 for short rest 3rd level spells
>>
>>53438079
If I remember correctly either Volo's or SCAG have lore about hags, might be some useful stuff there.
>>
>>53438097
It's Volo's.
>>
>>53438097
Yeah I have Volo's open right now and I'm reading it, and I'm trying to work around the Sea Hag being in an Underground Lake, but suggestions are always welcome. Thankfully Sea Hags are the most outright evil since everything else can transform into a normal Medium female humanoid, where Sea Hags are just clearly evil Hags. So it's a good place to introduce the plotline.
>>
>>53438085
Forgot to add- Standard Array, hence me deciding to go for SAD CHAladin.
>>
>>53438080
Obelix
>>
File: PC plans.jpg (490KB, 1000x1260px) Image search: [Google]
PC plans.jpg
490KB, 1000x1260px
>>53438143
>>
>>53438085
>>53438141
>everyone's powergaming
>use standard

But seriously though, Tomelock for CHA Shillelagh is good, plus you can use the Warlock slots to smite.
>>
>>53438127
Well the idea of some giant dead thing is a good start, maybe a ramshackle hut or just a tent built within it's bones. Don't really remember any minions they would have off the top of my head, could easily use Koa-what every they're called as worshipers and minions.
>>
>>53438143
Can't argue with that.
>>
>>53438167
Rolled on the tables in Volo's, she's got 2 Flesh Golems and 10 Bugbears around, though the Bugbears are corrupted and perversely mindbroken. It's not deep enough in the Underdark to justify Kuo-Toa, though I love those insane motherfuckers.
>>
>>53438153
It's kinda weird reading that in English.

>>53438173
I was meming but now that I think about it, I think I'm right.
>>
>>53438188
True, I just try to use them where I can since I don't run alot of campaigns in the underdark.

Also helps my players don't know any better.
>>
>>53438166
It's a simple silly little campaign where the DM basically said "go nuts", we're just going with Standard Array/Point Buy so everyone's on the same page statwise for our silly meme builds we're all doing.

I just decided to go Standard Array because it's probably the best option of point buy anyways.
>>
>>53435306
Why in the fuck did someone make that image?
>>
File: Touch of the Sea Mother.png (74KB, 912x430px) Image search: [Google]
Touch of the Sea Mother.png
74KB, 912x430px
>>53438203
Friend of mine who also DMs actually had an exchange today that it's a requirement in all our campaigns to have at least one Kuo-Toa settlement and adventure around them because they're so much fun and weird. Also, I really want to curse a player with this because it'd be hilarious.
>>
>>53434216
I have it and i liked it.
If you have the money i guess its worth
but if you dont, i'll post it if you want
>>
>>53438085
If you're allowed bullshit UA multiclassing just go hexblade1/paladinX or warlockbladepact3/bardX.
>>
>>53438337
What are the US rules on multiclassing?
>>
>>53438353
I don't know what's 'standard' but at least here we're generally in agreement that UA can be okay, multiclassing can be okay but both at the same time can lead to shit like nuclear druid because UA isn't balanced for multiclassing

otherwise you might as well play nuclear druid, take a level dip of revised ranger too or whatever
Like, hexblade1/revisedranger1/PaladinX if it doesn't stop you from hitting important paladin levels
>>
File: 20170526_022850.jpg (101KB, 436x327px) Image search: [Google]
20170526_022850.jpg
101KB, 436x327px
I have a player who wants to play as a vampire and they just sent me this. I know DandD wiki is a laughing stock but I'm absolutely flummoxed.

https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Vampire_(5e_Class)

>automatically regen 1 HP per turn
>1d6 unarmed strike with automatic DC 18 grapple attempt follow-through (regardless of STR stat)
>4d6 attack on any grappled creature that restores half as HP
>ALL AT JUST LEVEL ONE
>mfw

But seriously, if they wanna play as a vampire I'm willing to work with them. Any RAW or non-absurd suggestions for vampirism? I'd rather apply it as a "disease" and not a race or class. Maybe apply vampire perks like turning into a bat at higher levels.

I also wanna see more golden turds from DandD wiki.
>>
>>53438373
>>53438353
Off to something now but I'll say, hexblade is kinda a 'You get shillelagh at level 1 instead of 3' when multiclassing for paladin which is kinda cheesy. 3 levels of warlock for shillelagh is still good and really I'd go for that unless it prevents you from hitting key paladin levels.
Heck, if you have a high enough total level bard6/Paladin5+ is great. Shillelagh duelling shield PAM.
>>
>>53438505
>dand wiki
It's a humour site.
>>
>>53438505
Planeshift: Zendikar has an actual Vampire race.
>>
>>53438080
Conan. Objectively.
>>
>>53438538
>implying Conan isn't actually a rogue/fighter
>>
I know Crusader's Mantle isn't too good of a spell but what if the Party's a Fighter, a Revised Beastmaster and a Paladin? Should it be my go-to 3rd level spell?
>>
>>53438505
A little OP because your type changes to Undead (undead resistances) but a Touch of Class has a vampire subclass under Occultist
>>
>>53438543
Barb/rogue/fighter multiclass, being generous. Wearing armour and sneaking doesn't make you a fighter/rogue.
>>
I'm okay playing a 4 elements monk because I'm aware as a monk I'll primarily become a stun monkey once I hit level 5.
But what are some ways to help me continue to feel like a water bender when I run out of ki points?

I thought about maybe taking a single level in druid so that I can get the frostbite cantrip for a bit of a ranged option when I run out of ki. And it would also give me access to a few things like:
>create or destroy water
>cure wounds
>fog cloud
>ice knife
>purify food and drink

Question: Would unarmored movement increase one's swim speed as well?

Alternatively, I thought about taking a level in fighter for mariner style, and the rest into monk. Or possibly doing 2 fighter, just to get that action surge (because it would actually let me combo with my 4 elements stuff, or also just stun someone then fuck them up).

>don't play 4 elements monk or play this fixed version
It's okay, I'm playing with a group where I've got a much much bigger knowledge of the game than they do. Playing something like this will help me not outshine them at every turn.
Also, it's a naval campaign so lots of water.
>>
>>53433630
Mould Earth.

Dig ditches with it.
>>
>>53438588
Looks like I forgot something. I asked the question about swim speed because I was wondering if I were to be a half-elf variant (aquatic), if the unarmored movement would work with that.
>>
>>53433913
Since your DM said any UA multiclass goes then make it a Stone Sorcerrer 1/Hexblade X.
Enjoy only needing CON and CHA.
>>
>>53438577
I bet you think he's higher than 6th level too
>>
>>53438588
I wouldn't bother much with the level in Druid, if anything I'd dip 1 into Tempest Cleric for the damage when people hit you.

Yes it increases your speed.

The fighter levels probably just aren't worth losing Ki.

4 Elements is bad, but it's not unplayable. Especially in a navel Campaign where your coolest option (Shape the Flowing River) will see a ton of use. Just make sure you get enough chances to Short Rest which should be easy on a ship.
>>
>>53438627
Depends my man. I'd say he was pretty high level when he was the king of Aquilonia.
>>
>Players ask for something different than the standard setting
>spend 20+ hours crafting a setting
>Very detailed, and with a perfect set up of conflict, having strange armies wielding arcane magic - a type of magic the residents have never seen before- trying to invade and take over the world.
>only restriction out of literally all UA is no arcane casters
>first players concept is a wizard
>ask him if he is serious
>yes, defector and shit
Why the fuck do people always do this kind of shit?

What is it with being a special little unicorn? If you want to be so fucking special, then toast your face and gouge out your eyes, literally nobody you are likely to meet will be like you.
>>
Currently a level 1 War Cleric, now going full-on Warlock cause of RP reasons
any trap pacts/invocations/spells I should avoid?
>>
>>53432081
a proper Ravenloft setting.I know that shit is cheesy but damn if it isn't fun!
>>
>>53438574
How well balanced is this class out of curriosity? I like the fluff and it seems interesting. I just don't have a good enough grip on 5e's balancing to tell whether this is hilariously out of whack.
>>
File: 1219243-0jack4.gif (58KB, 730x950px) Image search: [Google]
1219243-0jack4.gif
58KB, 730x950px
Sea Hag anon here again.

I've worked out some facts, but I need to know whether or not this is particularly brutal or not for six level 4 players. She'll be operating under the Death Coven from Volo's Guide, and after determining she'll have only 5 spells available since the coven has 16 spell slots shared between the 3, I rolled a d6 five times to determine what she has.

She rolled a 1, 5, 6, 4, 6. So she has Circle of Death, Contagion x2, Dominate Beast, Inflict Wounds, and Raise Dead. She'll only cast Circle of Death if her turn reaches her and she has less than 1/5th of her max hp remaining to suicide and take as many PCs as possible.

Is this too powerful for six level 4 characters? Monster Manual said a Sea Hag in a Coven is bumped up to CR4, but this is definitely deserving of being a CR5 because of how brutal her spells could potentially be to the party. She also has a Flesh Golem determined by rolling, which is another CR5 monster. Think my players will be able to handle it? Reminder that these will be players going against a caster with one 6 and two 5th level spell slots, so taking 8d6 on a failed CON save is some pretty ridiculous shit for characters where the highest HP value is 40 and the lowest is about 21.
>>
>>53438677
Circle of Death can easily wipe the entire party.
>>
>>53438085
Do a Fighter 2 dip and then Hexblade it up. Gets the heavy armor prof, Con save, and Action fucking surge, and then you can Curseblade nova with 2d8 per slot+CHA mod with the oh so fun Hold-person combo.
>>
>>53438588
I really wish they'd take a redo on 4 elements monk, shit is lazy as all fuck in the book and grossly undertuned/powered compared to the other options.
>>
>>53438675
a lot of the abilities lean towards fluff and some of the stuff seems relatively balanced. if anything some of it is underpowered compared to what you get from normal classes
otherwise, if you want to play a frankenstein, vampire, or a werecreature, it seems like an alright way to go that doesn't break the game
>>
>>53438660
Ask him if he wants to play a Sorc instead as the invaders brought magic into the realm, sort of awakening latent oddness in people.

then force him to play a wildmagic sorc.

Either that or just say no. You're the DM.
>>
File: IMG_7027.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7027.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>53432326
>>
>>53438695
Yeah, the only reason I can justify having it would be it'd be a CR15 roll on her turn and would be centered on her, and besides the Paladin and Melee Ranger the rest are all ranged and are generally really skittish and frequently stay at least 30ft away from the main enemies. So it MIGHT not kill them all and allow the casters to survive and stabilize their allies, but it also could absolutely eliminate this entire party, so it's hard for me to judge. I don't want to have a TPK since this'll be the fourth session of the campaign and it's my first time DMing, but I feel like I shouldn't be afraid of player death, otherwise there's no tension. It's a hard balance.

I could also just not have her have Circle of Death, but the Dice Gods deemed it so.
>>
>>53438738
I told him to roll a druid if he wanted magic. Or a cleric. Or literally anything that isnt arcane.

I just can't grasp how anybody can be this fucking stupid. What part of their brain is this damaged, that being told "don't so this" immediately makes them go "oh okay I'll do that then."

Fucking hell.
>>
Making some sort of western/mad max/fantasy setting, really unsure on a pantheon of gods. Was considering even just having a generic monotheistic type thing, though I know one of my players wants to play a forge cleric and requested a god of industry. How can I fit in that sort of pantheon into this sort of setting?
>>
>>53438764
Circle of Death doesn't affect the caster and the thing is if it's a tough fight even making the save does 4d6, which can easily finish everyone off.
>>
>>53438731
Honestly just because I dislike whole homebrew classes I think Werestuff and Vampire are pretty easy to do.

For Vampire, use the Zendikar race and Shadow Monk but change it from Wisdom to Intelligence. Maybe add some fluff abilities.

For Werecreatures, Barbarian.
>>
>>53438766
You kind of got it in one when you mentioned special sprinkles unicorns. People want to be unique and have everybody look at them in awe.
>>
>>53438723
Yeah, to be honest the best options are the ones that they made up that are unique and not spells.
>>
>>53438791
Yeah, Water whip makes my dick rock hard. If we got an entire archtype filled with spells that are as cool and useful as that I doubt I'd play anything else.
>>
>>53438820
>yfw they changed it from a bonus action to a full action

I bet that fucker mearls was behind this.
>>
>>53438855
Oh jesus you just reminded me why I considered the class dead. It being a bonus was the only saving grace of 4-elements monk. Then they print Sun monk and take a hot steaming dump all over it.
>>
>>53438855
It's bullshit to be honest. Keep it as a bonus action. The other two unique options become better than it if you don't.

>air fists push people away, which is arguably better, and also knock them prone
>fire tendrils occur when you take the attack action, so it's basically free and can turn each of your hits for the turn into doing extra 1d10 if you want as well as increasing your reach so no need to get in close range
>water whip now requires a full action, can either pull OR knock prone, but not both. Essentially unable to combo with anything as a result.

Yeah, fuck that change. Fuck it real hard.
>>
File: FourElements.pdf (4MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
FourElements.pdf
4MB, 1x1px
>>53438820
>>53438855
>>
I'm working on a jungle hex crawl anyone got supplements I can steal from?
>>
>>53438889
I'm aware it exists and I do think its a good homebrew, but I'd like to see some official content, or at least an acknowledgement that they did as shit of a job as beast-ranger.
>>
>>53438889
My only real problem with this is that a lot of it continues with the sins of its father.
Which is using ki points to cast spells.
There needs to be ki-less options like the other disciplines. Either that, or a four elements monk should be a fucking ki-master and have more ki points than a regular monks.
>>
>>53438934
There are ki-less options in there.

>Fangs of the Fire Snake
>Fist of Unbroken Air
>Spellfist Stance (Technically)
>>
>>53432081
>Battlemaster maneuvers
So, I'm the GM, and I'm considering adding in some spell effects as maneuvers, with level prereqs based on the lowest level you can take the spell as a caster.

I dunno about exactly how i want to implement them, but stuff like blindness/deafness is what I'm thinking.

Is there a reason I should not consider such a course of action?

If it's not broken for a wizard to spend a spell slot to blind someone at level 4, a superiority die being able to do the same seems reasonable, no?

Tell me if and why I'm wrong in principle.
>>
>>53438967
what? Fangs costs ki, it actually costs a ton of ki to get milage out of it.
>>
File: mario.png (589KB, 727x898px) Image search: [Google]
mario.png
589KB, 727x898px
Stat me /5eg/
>>
>>53439002
>>/Owlbear/
>>
>>53439002
Thief. He's got jumping, he's got Use Magic Item and he's got a hella good Athletics Score.

Alternatively Monk.
>>
>>53439001
The increase in range and fire damage do not cost any ki, the extra 1d10 fire damage does.
>>
>>53438967
>a lot of it
I know. But that doesn't help.
>>
>>53439016
Ah you're right I forgot about that, suppose my point is more directed at the features you get that don't cost Ki flat out suck compared to most class features.
>>
File: warlock.png (81KB, 464x601px) Image search: [Google]
warlock.png
81KB, 464x601px
How would you guys read this invocation?
I might just be retarded but I don't get why there's an advantage to charisma checks to bargain if they're going to find out anyway when they make a saving throw
>>
>>53439175
Planar binding takes a while to cast, so if you're on talking terms with your target, and succeed on the roll, you can probably be uninterrupted with your cast.
At least that's how I interpret it.
>>
>>53439000
No this actually sounds like good ideas.
>>
>>53439230
Thanks kindly, was definitely retarded cause I forgot about the cast time.
>>
>>53439235
Would it be too much to allow them on a hit with a weapon, and I need to make it take a full action to do, or does the more limited nature of superiority dice and maneuvers make up for that?

What other spells do you guys think would make a good fit as maneuvers?
>>
>>53439000
Just keep in mind that the wizard is restricted by concentration and saves-per-round at that point.
>>
I'm currently playing a stone sorcerer for my first character (no longer perma DM) and my DM is being cool with a couple small buffs to the class.
>Spells known is level +Cha
>All Metamagics known
>Some spells from other classes being allowed if they fit thematically IE absorb elements on my swordmage-type character.

Has anyone done anything similar? Should there be something at levels 10 and 17 where you would get metamagics? As otherwise its only stats between 6 and 14 DM said he's cool with making sorc a bit closer to wizard.
Also, I know theres no chance that the campaign makes it that far, but has anyone made any replacements to the sorcerer capstone? It's basically a worse arcane recovery.
>>
File: 1419429015699.jpg (368KB, 840x700px) Image search: [Google]
1419429015699.jpg
368KB, 840x700px
Guys, quick question, as I need help with worldbuilding in my campaign.
Where the fuck does everyone get their oil?
In the forgotten realms, or in your own settings, how do you explain the source of oil?
>>
>>53439287
I was thinking of straight up giving a handful of spells as maneuvers, with a line like "when you hit with a weapon, you may spend a superiority die affect the target with (spellname) spell as though cast by a (class) of (level), following the rules text of the spell, including any saves. The saving throw value, if applicable, is equal to (value). This effect does not count as magical.

If I were to include a saves per round or concentration spell, it would remain that way.
>>
>>53439392
It's animal fat.
Possibly whale oil.

In a few instances it might be a plant extract, but typically not.

What else would it be? Did you think it was crude oil?
>>
Is there any reason for a DEX-based fighter not to go Crossbow Expert over dual wielding? The only major drawback I can see is that you don't get opportunity attacks since you can't be holding a melee weapon. You do slightly higher damage using a regular attack as a dual wielder, but you also miss a bit more often and there doesn't seem to be a way to increase this damage like with Sharpshooter for the crossbow fighter or Great Weapon Master and/or Polearm Master for the Strength fighter.

That said, I also don't really see much reason for a Strength-based Fighter to not go two-handed or one-handed + shield over dual wielding. What does dual wielding bring to the table?

Assuming you're starting with 16 DEX:

Crossbow Expert:
Advantages:
-2d6 + 2 x mod = 13 dmg
-+2 on all attack rolls
-Can go for Sharpshooter (33 dmg on two hits)
-Don't need to get close to enemies

Disadvantages:
-No attacks of opportunity
-Needs two feats (CE and Sharpshooter)

Dual wielder:
Advantages:
-2d8 + 2 x mod = 15 dmg
-+1 AC
-Can get another stat increase or feat more quickly

Disadvantages:
-Get close to enemies despite not being able to hold a shield
>>
>>53439490
It's very established Dual-Wielding sucks pretty hard. Some characters (Rogues, Barbarians and Clerics mostly) can get some use out of it.
>>
Anons? I want to convert the various non-human Planetouched from Dragon #350 - Azerbloods (Azer/Dwarf), Celadrin (El/Firre Eladrin), D'hin (Halfling/Djinn), and Worghest (Goblin/Whorgest).

For the first three, would you recommend making them their own race, or making them a new subrace for Dwarves, Elves and Halflings?
>>
>>53439506
>D'hin (Halfling/Djinn)
Coolest shit I've ever heard for Halflings honestly.
>>
>>53439505
Huh. What makes it so awful, aside from no GWM analogue?

In a campaign where GWM/PAM/Sharpshooter aren't allowed, does it fare okay?
>>
>>53439564
What kind of campaign wouldn't allow standard feats from the PHB?
>>
>>53439564
no GWM analogue hurts massively, PAM is horrifically overpowered as well too so DW by comparison is just shit when everything is on the table.

Ultimately the GWM and SS are two broken feats that make every other form of physical suck ass outside of strange shit like Shilleghlie gish builds.
>>
What are the best "terrain" spells/abilities for a terrain-themed mage?

Stuff where you move/shape terrain or use it to attack your enemies more directly.
>>
>>53439575
One from a GM who agrees with
>>53439579 that those three feats invalidate all other combat styles, and make the game worse.

>>53439579
So; does DW still suck with those three feats disallowed?
>>
>>53439594
Probably not, but you are then just running into the problem where DW beats everything. We houserule that GWM and SS have to roll for the extra damage thus far, with the option to nerf it again at higher levels when prof gets high enough to negate the downside.
>>
>>53439594
But if you're disallowing those feats I don't see why you'd have any melee classes on your party at all. It just shifts the balance in the favor of casters and "utility" classes like the Rogue all the more.

If you're disallowing feats to make melee weapons suck less everyone's probably just gonna play a Paladin for armor, spells and smite or halfling Rogue for Advantage and Sneak Attack every turn, or a full caster.
>>
Guys I need some help. I'm basically a social outcast due to health issues, but I randomly got a message last night asking if I wanted to play D&D with a group of my 'friends'. The baffling thing is:

1. I didn't even know they knew about D&D
2. I've not touched D&D for like 15 years and anything I can remember is hazy at best (see health problems)
3. They've never played before either

And because of No.3, I don't really know what to do. I have no real way of gauging if this will be worth doing. How is 5th Edition for newbies? Any help with this shit? It's such a random conversation I don't quite know what to do. I'm not really much help but conversely if I got the material to be able to help, I fear it'll just be a waste of time or too much for me to cope with.

Is this something I should just wipe by hands of unless they actually do the learning themselves? As I fear I'll be the gimp made to learn it all and explain it to them which I cba doing.

tl;dr is 5th edition easy to learn and explain to total fucking retards? What would the recommended content be for newbies? Is there any good guides out there for this shit? Is it even worth my time?
>>
>>53439469
No, I want to combine crude oil with necromancy in my game as a plot point, so I needed an alternative, which you provided. Much thanks!
>>
>>53439635
5th edition is like, the easiest edition to learn so far. You can do the Starter set, The Lost Mines of Pheldelver, which is widely thought to be an excellent intro into D&D and 5e in general.
>Worth your time
I dunno man, with your health issues you might consider your time more valuable or something since you probably are about to croak or something. But everything you need to get started is in the Mega links in the OP if you wanna look shit over.
>>
Y'know what strikes me as weird? All these UA things and there's two mechanical niches that have yet to be filled:
>An Arcane Half-Caster
>A Divine Third-Caster

What do you think could fit these? Perhaps a Barbarian 1/3 caster who's entire thing is able to cast their spells while raging as a Warden-esque archetype?
>>
>>53439594
The issue is that without feats Dual-Wielding only beats Dueling by like 1 damage.

If you have a 3rd attack in anyway then Dueling wins and gets +2 AC to boot. Dual-Wielding's crap in this edition for full martials.
>>
>>53439635
It's really very easy to learn. Are you DMing or playing?

As a player, maybe spend half an hour to an hour browsing the PHB (chapter 1, 7,8,9 and also 10 if you're a spellcaster) . Plus read up on the class you're gonna play.

As a DM it takes a bit more preparation I guess, but the premade campaigns like Lost Mines guide you through it pretty well. Just read up on the chapter your players are gonna do the day before you start.
>>
>>53439669
Divine Third caster should be a Fighter probably, the spell choice works well for them.

Barbarians can't be a Third caster but could get similar abilities that aren't actually spells.

Arcane Half-Caster's what Artificer should be in final version. Like a Wizard/Rouge with a focus on utility, buffs and skills. Considering Paladin's favor melee and Rangers favor bows, I think having the Artificer use Saving Throws for most of it's damage would be a reasonable place to be.
>>
>>53439682
What about if these feats are used instead? (Kryx' feats from gitp)

http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/H19CLykV

Do they fix the problem? It seems he does a lot of math and testing to try to attempt to balance his stuff.
>>
>>53439659
Thanks man. I won't croak it (I hope) but brain problems and shit. Thanks for help, I'll read it over.

>>53439699
Yeah this is the problem, I have no idea how much information the guys know. Based on my history about them, they will know nothing. It's really a rather odd message. Maybe they're just reaching out cause I'm stuck in bed 24/7 really. Who knows. I just don't want to learn all the new stuff, however easy, then spend the next 3 hours or so explaining to them how it works and how to play. If another player knows how to play I can just read up the stuff you've suggested and that'll speed things along. I also don't really want to handhold and I don't want to do all the work. I'm fine if everybody is new but at least have read the stuff, but in my condition I don't have the energy for it. I know that's very That Guy tier, but it's just something I'd rather not do at all than make it into a job.
>>
Speaking of feats, I'd like to point out the 'Lucky' feat. In particular, this part of the Sage Advice:

>if you have disadvantage on your attack roll, you could spend a luck point, roll a third d20, and then decide which of the three dice to use. You still have disadvantage, since the feat doesn’t say it gets rid of it, but you do get to pick the die.

Does this mean that a ranger with the Lucky feat just needs to close his eyes (to get disadvantage on the attack roll), and then roll three times and pick the highest?
>>
>>53439732
I didn't even read the weapon parts and I'll tell you not to touch this.

If you really, truly must use Duel-Wielding you shouldn't be nerfing other styles, but instead adding something to make Dual-Wielding better.

Let Paladin's take TWF because it actually works alright on them, let Fighters make 2 bonus action attacks at level 11 with their TWF and let Ranger's use Hunter's Mark without the Bonus Action cost if they're Dual-Wielding.

It's not the best option still, but it doesn't need to be. Just needs to be a decent one.

There's also the fact that Dual-Wielding's gay as all hell and it does make sense for all weapons to be inferior to the glorious Polearms.
>>
>>53432081
Alright for the Cursebringer invocation when you smite with it the feature states its 2d8 slashing damage per spell-slot. Does the slashing damage count as magical? Or is it straight up regular slashing damage? I'm unsure because pact of the blade states you can summon a magic weapon, I assume Cursebringer fulfills that purpose.
>>
>>53439785
RAW, yes, it's a ludicruous advantage.

I'd think I'd rule it with something like, "when you have disadvantage, you must use the new roll when you use luck"
>>
So I have two friends who decided they were interested in playing RPGs and they wanted to try playing 5e, so they asked me to dm for them so they could start playing. I was happy to oblige because I love playing and would love to have more friends who are into playing, but I have very limited experience DMing and I don't wanna fuck up their first few sessions and turn them off to rpgs.

Any ideas/tips/general info for a simple straight up first session? Right now it's just the two of them, but I might bring in a third person just to bring the party closer to a standard setup.
>>
>>53439807
Curse Bringer is using your Pact of the Blade feature, which counts as magical for the purpose of overcoming resistances and immunities.
>>
>>53439820
Get the Dungeon Master Guide, Monster Manual and have a read. If they're that interested in giving gaming a try, I doubt they'll be put off by you being rusty. I believe there are pre-planned campaigns, small ones, which guide you in DMing as well as PCing. so I'd try that.

Keep it simple. I'd explain this to them before you'd start as well. Gradually build on the complexity (perhaps re-do a pre-made campaign but add your own events and touches to it) before moving onto something you had in mind. Once that's done ask your PC's what kind of thing they'd like then prepare for it. You're all there to have fun, so no railroading (forcing them to do what you want) all the time.

You need to be quick on your feet. If you expect your players to kill a NPC you made and they instead Roll to Seduce, work with it. Don't go "Ah that's fucking stupid, kill the fucker". If they fail the roll, initiate combat, if they succeed work with it.

Etc. Explain to them and I'm sure they'll understand. Good luck.

PS. I'm probably not the best person to ask but that's my own interpretation based on experiences.
>>
>>53439789
>Dual wielding works well on paladins
Is that because of smite?
>>
>>53440005
Plus their level 11 ability. They actually have a few spells (Divine Favor) that also work well for Dual-Wielding and for the cost of a 1st level slot give you +3d4 damage per round, which can be better then a first level Smite often.
>>
>>53438876
Plus their own in class combo with Wall of Fire works with air fist, but not water whip, because you have to see the target and you can't see through a wall of fire. I suppose that's elemental flavor there? Fire+air combo. Fire+water no combo.

>>53423880
>So, just glancing through features
>Level 3
>Positive
>Hunter(Horde Breaker)

>Negative
>Hunter(Colossus Slayer)
Day late, but how did you screw this up so badly? Colossus Slayer is one of the few features that favor twf, and horde breaker is at best neutral, because it doesn't prevent twf though every other style benefits from it more.
>>
>>53440065
I guess you have more chances to trigger Horde Breaker with TWF while Colossus Slayer's just +1d8 damage for everyone?

Though can you Colossus Slayer on an Opportunity Attack? If so that might favor it over Ranged at least.
>>
>>53440065
I'm the anon who he replied to originally, am I screwed if I went twf with deep stalker?
>>
>>53438767
Have him worship a personified version of an old precatastrophe corporation. He could know the rites of "General Electric", who led his armies of automatons accross the Earth to tame the wilderness. Could have different misunderstood corps represent different aspects of society.
>>
File: Fiendish-Spirit-Naga.jpg (55KB, 774x938px) Image search: [Google]
Fiendish-Spirit-Naga.jpg
55KB, 774x938px
I need a name for a female spirit naga, any ideas?
>>
>>53440468
S'nek
>>
>>53440504
K'ek
>>
>>53439732
Removing -5 to hit +10 to damage without any proper compensation isn't the way. All this serves to do is nerf martials even if it does balance things out a bit.
Having twice the ASIs at half power just makes thing less confusing and the feats more pathfinderish and less flavourful, too.
>>
I'm trying to make a backup character incase I die in my current campaign and I was looking at a melee-based sorcerer / caster. I was thinking along the lines of booming blade and green-fire blade for damage but aside from that I'm fresh out of ideas.
>>
>>53440468
Ek'ans
>>
>>53440733
Ar-Bok
>>
>>53440468
Lindi. Lindee. Lindé.
>>
File: Lucky feat with disadvantage.webm (805KB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
Lucky feat with disadvantage.webm
805KB, 320x180px
>>53439785
RAW yes, but I believe the RAI was stated that, essentially, you're choosing which die to replace with the lucky die?
>>
File: annakin.png (323KB, 648x430px) Image search: [Google]
annakin.png
323KB, 648x430px
What's a good build to become the chosen one?
Can I force choke with telekinesis or is Bigby's Hand the only way?
>>
>>53441147
Bigby was a hack
>>
>The first time you hit with a melee weapon attack during this spell's duration, your weapon rings with thunder that is audible within 300 feet of you, and the attack deals an extra 2d6 thunder damage to the target. Additionally, if the target is a creature, it must succeed on a Strength saving throw or be pushed 10 feet away from you and knocked prone.

Does this imply that every round you can make a smite attack or am I reading this wrong?
>>
>>53441215
Karsus is king
>>
>>53441286
>The first time
>>
>>53441286
>The first time you hit with a melee weapon attack during this spell's duration
Doesn't look like it to me. It reads like you prime the spell but once you actually detonate it you would have to re-prime.
>>
At what level should players be able to afford plate?
>>
>>53441330
>>53441320
>The first time
I'm an idiot. I was somehow interpreting that as the first time in a round or the first attack of a round.
>>
>>53438080
I don't know if Logen can be described as a barbarian. He's not such a great fighter normally, and his "rage" is more like a "rage and frenzy like you were possessed by a nuclear powered demon of hell"
>>
Next thread, bit too soon

>>53441331
>>53441331
Thread posts: 403
Thread images: 46

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.