[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Superpowered Superstars

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: 789954649bea485daa16fd2f9cc5fe35.jpg (281KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
789954649bea485daa16fd2f9cc5fe35.jpg
281KB, 1920x1200px
In many stories and settings, gods gain their power directly from mortal belief: the more faith funneled from men to the divine, the more powerful the god.

Apply this logic to other mortals. What if celebrities and other famous people could gain powers from the faith of their fans? What if a band's lead guitarist can make actual magic with his music purely because his fans think he can? What if an infamous criminal could turn invisible and walk through walls because that's what the stories say of him? What if a popular king had established such a cult of personality that he really could end a plague with a thought?

Is this too much of a leap of logic? If not, what manner of implications would it have to a setting? Would it make for a fun gaming in?
>>
>Dark alleyways or windowless vans with a sign that says "FREE FAME"
>>
>>53428901

This is kind of the theory behind Avatars in Unknown Armies, although rather than attention paid to individuals it's more about resonating with an archetype that the whole world knows and believes in.

I used it in a game blending the two where one character, a genius idol singer, managed to figure out what was happening and through manipulating my bullshit metaphysics managed to supplant the archetype she was channelling from the collective unconscious with herself, essentially becoming an immortal goddess within the collective mind of humanity. It was a pretty neat way for things to end.
>>
File: 6400ab74[1].jpg (168KB, 960x854px) Image search: [Google]
6400ab74[1].jpg
168KB, 960x854px
>>53428901
>Pretty Girl Idols who fight for Justice and are powered by the love of their adoring fans
Just like my Japanese anime!
>>
>>53428901
I already do that, ripped it off American Gods.

Some mortals become nexuses and thus part of the universe's superstructure, a few became gods. An old dinosaur became the goddess of destruction and rebirth.

The cult of personality stuff is why the symbol of authority is the crown instead of the current emperor.

It isn't easy to get power this way though, it requires thousands or more for significant periods of time. I don't make it any more precise because players will try it.

This same mechanic also fuels prophecies. A prophecy is like a key to a reservoir of energy waiting for the right moment, person or situation. This was used to fudge rolls in favor of players and grant surprising healing.

Also, it does requires belief, just strong feelings. A very strongly hated villain never truly dies. That's why there is an organization dedicated to erase any and all traces of past evils.
>>
>>53432615
Oh yes, it can also bestow souls to inanimate objects. For example, big and/or old cities have a will of sorts.

Feelings produce prana, which is the stuff souls are also made from. The most important element.
>>
>>53428901
Would be cool as a replacement for XP

the more well known your band of adventurers is the more powerful they get.
>>
I like this idea. A logical way for heroes and villains to get more and more powerful after their deeds. Would easily explain most villains grand plans, and also the reason heroes go in adventures.
>>
>>53428901
Tyranny devs go home!
>>
>>53428901
There is a pretty solid web serial on this premise if you're interested.
http://alexanderwales.com/shadows/

Power scales with reputation including a degree of geographic influence so you're strongest in your home city and weaker in an area where you're less known.

What powers you get is somewhat randomised so a lot of the work involved is in crafting a story that travels well with the resources you have to work with.
>>
File: BlepeMagician.png (136KB, 489x489px) Image search: [Google]
BlepeMagician.png
136KB, 489x489px
http://powerlisting.wikia.com/wiki/Sludge_Generation

Apparently I am just gross.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.