[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Inventions

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

What systems have cool inventing mechanics?
>>
>>53428294
The old Adventure! game from white wolf had some pretty nice super science mechanics if I'm remembering correctly. I think Aberrant, the super hero game that came out before it, had something similar as well.
>>
>>53428764
Thanks, I'll check it out. Bumping for more?
>>
check out genius: the transgression
https://sites.google.com/site/moochava/genius
>>
DUDE GURPS LMAO
>>
>>53429695
There's some really neat ideas in here, thanks anon. The system for creating wonders seems a bit overly complex on it's own, but it has some cool mechanics.
>>53429940
In all honesty, other than "gadgeteering", does GURPS have interesting inventing?
>>
>>53430411
An article in the "Weird Science" issue of Pyramid has rules for inventing anything you can stat up as a character, so you can define exactly what the invention does to know how hard it would be to build.
>>
Mutants & Masterminds has detailed Gadget construction.
>>
>>53428294
GURPS has invention mechanics that are pretty nice, especially if you're a gadgeteer. They're also generic, so you can apply them to magic, psionics, or anything of the sort.

There's also ways that you probably aren't looking for to handle gadgeteering, like having modular abilities with the preparation required limitation added on to build gadgets with points, rather than designing an item. Whatever floats your boat, really.
>>
>>53428294
In my current campaign one of my players has been having a lot of fun with Open Legend as a 'what if MacGuyver was a cyberpunk techie' sort of character. Sometimes the improvisations or inventions are simply framing devices for game mechanics, but there's also a crafting system for really exceptional or specific stuff: http://www.openlegendrpg.com/core-rules/09-special-equipment#building-your-own-extraordinary-items

Overall the game's a little bit like if you mashed up Mutants & Masterminds and 4e.
>>
>>53428294
Do you mean games that you play the mad inventor archetype, or some sort of engineer sim game?
>>
Anima if you go for item crafting isbpretty nice
>>
>>53436132
I guess closer to the mad inventor type, I'm trying to run a Ghostbusters game.
>>
Space:1889 in it's various iterations has invention rules, but it's VSF.
>>
>>53436132
>I guess closer to the mad inventor type, I'm trying to run a Ghostbusters game.
Ah okay that makes things easier.

savage worlds being pulpy has "gadget genius" as a "weird" background option that's thematic pretty close, but gameplay it's still basically a different flavour of wizard with few different rules like all the "powered" classes.

Some people don't like, some people that do.

Other than that there's a fairly popular world of darkness fan splat book called Genius the transgression.

It's your standard vampire masquerade storyteller systerm with the premise of playing old school mad scientists types.

You know Classic universal movie Dr Frankenstein stuff.

Hope that helps!
>>
File: gun film camera.jpg (27KB, 500x409px) Image search: [Google]
gun film camera.jpg
27KB, 500x409px
>>53441326
There's a game called InSpectres where the group is in charge of figuring out what their ghostbusting tech is and how it works. The group also comes up with what their own version of the ecto-1 would be.

When I played it we ran with the belief that cameras took a part of your soul, and used things like this. We also decided that it has to be analog, to make it more interesting and less trivial to outfit ourselves.
Later, when we were having funding issues, we auctioned off a few prints and single negatives as collector's items. It was a pretty fun game.
>>
>>53431532
There's also Powers: The Weird that includes multiple weird science styles. They are much more simplified rules for inventing weird and impossible things ranging from automatons and paraenergy device to animal uplifting, revivification, and synthetic life.

Since Girl Genius: Powered by GURPS is never going to happen, I've been really wanting to use Powers: The Weird alongside Steampunk to get the next best thing.
>>
>>53442712
I've played inSpectres, and it's great. It's a rules-lite version of the original d6 Ghostbusters system, which is what I'm trying to update. But I want to have a bit of rules for crafting, since it plays a big role in that universe. Unfortunately neither OG Ghostbusters or InSpectres have rules for this, other than "make whatever, with your GM's approval"
>>
>>53443750
Well, most games that can support that scope and theme are going to be rather open-ended by design, so I don't know if there's going to be something that has such explicitly delineated crafting rules.

I think the solution is honestly to find a system you like that does everything else well and then as GM prepare variable outcomes that can be reached for each step in the process.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.