[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Exalted vs World of Darkness

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

How compatible are the rulesets between Exalted and World of Darkness? I want to know if I can throw Solars into Modern Nights and how much insanity/cuhrayzee it would cause.

Pic probably not related, but it could be.
>>
>>53424933
They're incompatible, they just look similar.
>>
>>53424978
Not even the older editions? That's rough.
>>
>>53424933
They're not compatible. At all.

You'd have the majority rolling around 10 dice at most, while the guy with the exalted character is slinging 10 dice around just on the stuff he doesn't care to put effort into. The stuff he cares to put effort into will have upwards of 20 dice rolling at once, possibly with rerolls for non-successes and a couple automatic successes.
>>
>>53426749
It's not like he's asking for balance.Since they're both Storytelling, I'd think they're otherwise compatible.
>>
Weren't 1E Exalted and oWoD originally supposed to be in the same setting?
Also, I think I remember a few years back someone storytiming and attempt to play a solar and lunar in WoD in the Exalted general, but that was around I stopped visiting, so I don't know how well it worked out.
>>
>>53426851
I mean, there's plenty of reasons besides the amount of dice thrown for why Exalted doesn't work with WoD. Particularly in 3e, where they've adopted the Withering/Decisive attack dynamic.

>>53426878
There -were- some really loose connections (Hunter was implied to be Solars, Werewolves were implied to be Lunars, Vampires were implied to be Abyssals, Lucifer was implied to be Sol Invictus, etc.), but nobody liked the connection. Not even the people currently running OPP. Apparently the oWoD side of OPP really doesn't like Exalted, or maybe it was just one guy on that side that didn't. But with 3e, Exalted has become their best seller, so I don't imagine they/he's taking that too well.
>>
>>53426958
>There -were- some really loose connections (Hunter was implied to be Solars, Werewolves were implied to be Lunars, Vampires were implied to be Abyssals, Lucifer was implied to be Sol Invictus, etc.), but nobody liked the connection.
All I was trying to say is that a fluff connection exists if you squint, and someone had apparently managed to get the crunch to work, though I have no idea how much work it took them, so it should be possible to cross them over.
>>
>>53427021
In Exalted 2e, you -could- technically cross them over. I wouldn't recommend it, but the systems were basically similar with different power-scales.

3e Exalted is completely incompatible. Your damage is based on initiative, you can't be persuaded or intimidated or otherwise socially influenced without drawing on the target's Intimacies, etc. 3e basically changed the whole game, it barely resembles the traditional Storyteller system now.
>>
>>53427097
>In Exalted 2e, you -could- technically cross them over. I wouldn't recommend it, but the systems were basically similar with different power-scales.
It'd make for a great change of pace, if nothing else.
>>
File: JustStop2.png (206KB, 285x323px) Image search: [Google]
JustStop2.png
206KB, 285x323px
>>53426958

Exalted has been one of their biggest sellers for a long time. It was keeping White Wolf going for a while, too, way past when it should've rightfully died. Even it couldn't keep them afloat forever though.

>>53427118

It's honestly a terrible fucking idea. It's basically asking the entire group to play full amputee's with down syndrome while one guy gets to play Superman. The only thing even remotely close in terms of power level is literally the tippest toppest end of WoD threats, and most of those would still get shit on by an Exalt, up until you get to the point where rules devolve into "MY RULES SAY IT KILLS YOU" and "NUH UH I'VE GOT DOUBLE PROTECTION FROM LASER BEAMS DESIGNED TO KILL ME" and then all you're left with is a 400 post thread of retards all trying to dickwave that their rulebook supercedes the other guys rulebook because fuck you, thats why, and the only way to solve it would just be to make the players fist fight in the parking lot and hope they kill each other because if it gets that far they don't deserve to possibly breed and further pollute our gene pool.
>>
>>53428520
>It's honestly a terrible fucking idea. It's basically asking the entire group to play full amputee's with down syndrome while one guy gets to play Superman.
I think he meant that everyone in the party would be Exalts, but you're pretty much right about it being an awful idea altogether.
>>
1st edition Exalted and the classic WoD are mechanically pretty similar. The biggest difference is that in Exalted the number you roll against is always 7. In the WoD the number can go up or down depending on the difficulty of the task.

That said, Exalted will blow the fuck out of practically anything in the World of Darkness. I remember shortly after Exalted came out, my group decided to have a match between our Archery-focused Dawn and Baba Yaga (who was one of the strongest creatures ever printed in the old World of Darkness). Baba Yaga was splattered in one round.
>>
>>53430016
Man, it sounds like Exalts in OWOD are GTA players with god mods on.
>>
On a similar note, could you possibly throw Street Fighter characters into WoD/Exalted and vice versa?

Shoryukening a werewolf might be fun
>>
>>53430071
Pretty much. That was kind of the point of Exalted.

In the classic WoD your generally played low powered characters who were pawns for the elders. Even in games like Mage or Werewolf, you rarely ever got to experience actually being a badass because that would go against the themes of the games.

In Exalted you would start off at the level of those elders who would normally be kicking your characters around in the WoD, and then your capabilities would only go up from there.

So yeah, if you decide to mix Exalted with WoD, it quickly ends up being like you allowed your players to play several thousand year old, 4th generation Methuselah's.
>>
>>53430121
>>53430071
Somehow even >>53430109 the Street Fighter x World of Darkness is a mash up (at least on a power level scale) than Exalted and WoD
>>
>>53430157
*better mash up
>>
>>53430109
It's all mostly compatible. Check out the 20th Anniversary Edition of the Street Fighter RPG online.

>>53430121
>So yeah, if you decide to mix Exalted with WoD, it quickly ends up being like you allowed your players to play several thousand year old, 4th generation Methuselah's.
I could see that as being refreshing, though clearly balance goes out the fucking window.
>>
Well, every post before whether in support or not has been missing a pretty major problem here

It's not just a matter of scale, they're just really not quite the same system, even the older version of Exalted. The dice mechanics are fundamentally different. They're both dicepools, but OWoD dice have variable target numbers, 1s subtract successes from your rolls, 10s explode and rolling a success means you succeed unless it's opposed. In Exalted your target number is pretty much always 7, 1s do nothing, 10s count as two successes and difficult actions require multiple successes.

In combat, Exalted has static defense values which are not a thing in oWoD. Exalted combat also uses ticks instead of turns to gauge time, actions can take different amount of time instead of simply being able to perform multiple actions per turn.

So yeah, no. It's not going to work without very extensive homebrewing efforts.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.