[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What would a sci-fi necromancer look like? Instead of rising

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5

File: Guardian.png (707KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
Guardian.png
707KB, 800x600px
What would a sci-fi necromancer look like?

Instead of rising people from the dead I would say that instead, he/she/that would would rather focus just on organic matter, since we can't use souls here nor need to focus on the human form.

And now, the necromancer would me much more knowledgeable in many things; for example, he knows about microorganisms and uses them like nanobots(they are pretty much like nanobots anyway), but he would also know about ecosystems and biochemistry so know he can mold organic matter to process other industrial matter on industrial levels, resulting in "assembly" of whatever he wants.

Since now the necromancer is purely focused on the matter, and not the soul itself, we might actually have "good" necromancers in the sense that they don't have to desecrate bodies or souls, but instead, they can now work on purely systematic and functional levels making their abilities mere tools for a purpose, and hence completely neutral by themselves, and instead of being much more widely evil by the nature of their work they are evil purely by the way they use their knowledge and abilities, making everything far more fuzzier, so for example; if a necromancer created a processing pool for organic matter in an overpopulated city that needs food fast, would he be evil if he used dead human bodies? He didn't had to perform rituals to bind souls, nor sneak and steal bodies from tombs, in fact since his "powers" work like a tool anybody can use them if they know the very basics and now other people are the evil ones if they use the tools wrong.

So I would imagine that all of this would result in necromancers creating environments pretty much like necromorphs, falling quickly under the biopunk genre.
>>
robotic assister frames nailed into the corpses of executed prisoners
>>
>>53424627
Nanomachines that attach to the nervous system of a corpse and reanimate it with electrical impulses. Controlled by the "necromancer" somehow. A remote terminal or direct mental up link or some suitably sci-fi shit.
>>
File: Y-17.jpg (351KB, 1120x840px) Image search: [Google]
Y-17.jpg
351KB, 1120x840px
>>53424638

Now there is a certain feel of "been there, done that" to it.
>>
>>53424627
your sci-fi necromancer is only differenciable from a sci-fi biomancer from his lacks of fucks to give about taboo.
That's a cool idea though, I'm monitoring.
>>
>>53424665
So basically a sci-fi necromancer is less of a death wizard and more of a meat mechanic. You could have them look pretty much however you feel suits the aesthetic of your setting the best. Space robes? A jumpsuit? Some kind of exoskeleton or power armor? It can be whatever floats your boat, really.
>>
>>53424673
ain't nothing wrongh
>>
>>53424665
>Controlled by the "necromancer" somehow

https://www.ted.com/talks/greg_gage_how_to_control_someone_else_s_arm_with_your_brain

Before you say its staged or something like that, this has been known for decades, its just that I can't find the original articles, but those talked about more direct methods through the brain.

So even a remote would serve.
>>
File: Nyds.jpg (272KB, 1107x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Nyds.jpg
272KB, 1107x1024px
>>53424701
> You could have them look pretty much however you feel suits the aesthetic of your setting the best

Yes, they can be combined with cybernetics and such, but the idea is that the necromancer uses organic material, by reorganizing it(hence killing it first if it was alive and giving back life) and then giving it other forms.

This can be thought pretty much like tyranids work with biomass.

The difference here, is that our necromancer, in the way he is built can control the products of his own creations(or even choose not to and create self sustaining ecosystems of zombie life for fun) and as such he should be focused on using what he is already good at; morphing dead matter, so instead of using computers he can create a neuron network of thousand of kilometers.

Another interesting point is the way a necromancer might achieve "liche" state, in the way its clasically portrayed a liche is just a necromancer that found a way to anchor his soul to every piece of matter of his body(or anchor it to a phylactely, I have seen both versions but the idea remains) and by doing so the necromancer achieves higher understanding of dead things and can magically improve his tributes(mainly superstrenght or cold touch attacks).

But now, a sci-fi necromancer achieving such a state would disqualify him as a human being if he improves too many things. Yes he can increase the size of his brain or make muscles grow within himself or add extremities that has claws or acid spitters, but it must get to a point where improving the necromancers brain to process much more information and receive it from his own creations would uplift the necromancer into something beyond a human being too.

One interpretation might be that in the way he improved himself, he integrated himself in such a way with the products of his own creations that now you cannot separate creator and creation, achieving what would be called "biological singularity" and hence immortality in a broader sense.
>>
>>53424676

>biomancer

I have to say that I haven't seen that archetype a lot, I have read sci-fi settings(Traveller, eclipse phase, walkure and of course all the entry level things like 40k, star wars) but I haven't crossed it that much.

When things like this are portrayed in settings, they are usually alien hiveminds(tyranids or necromorphs) which fits them in the sense that organic technology has a inherent alien and exotic feel to it, but it also means that humans are usually limited to anything but that(unless you want to do the "we becoming ayliums n'shit" theme)
>>
>>53424673
...How on Earth can the suits move the fingers?
>>
>>53424920
A Biomancer would be akin to a druid but with less animal talking and more controlling growth.
It's not that rare but often its part of a broader sphere; like star wars' force helping dudes be stronger/faster, healing etc; if its not going full ayye.
>>
File: IMG_0605.gif (955KB, 500x200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0605.gif
955KB, 500x200px
>>53424627
Necromonger.
>>
>>53424627
>What would a sci-fi necromancer look like?

He would be someone who destructively uploaded the consciousness and memories of people. He'd trade and pirate and reprogram them to serve him and his clients in VR, and use them to inhabit android bodies to serve him in the physical realm. Some would maintain the pretense of still being alive so he could use their assets.

Some of his decerebrate victims would be given computers to control the still-hunting bodies. Some operated by AI, and some by his servant personality emulations.

How's that sound?
>>
>>53425746
>It's not that rare but often its part of a broader sphere

So its hard to talk about it when there is no clear achetype.

But although, this would fall under biopunk with a lot of bioengineering and giving it the necromancer vibes of having ane person or group of persons having power life and death by directly manipulating it and achieving so much power that they end corrupted by it.

If we talk about star wars this can be seen in very shallow plot points,like rht Rakghoul plage in the Zayne Carrick series(which I found surprisingly entertaining when I expected them to be just promotional comics)

In the series they explain how the Rackghoul plague works with Sith magic and are controlled too by Sith magic, so mixing both this is actually a necromancer but working in a "sci-fi" setting(or at least aesthetic),

But I guess Star wars is a bad example, but I'm really having difficulties looking for things like this in media.
>>
File: Yourbodyisashell.png (1MB, 880x601px) Image search: [Google]
Yourbodyisashell.png
1MB, 880x601px
>>53426724

I have actually seen this in Eclipse Phase, although the problem is that in this setting creating artificial people is extremely easy(there are ego traffickers they just look for special abilities or memories not egos in themselves)

If I were to say something about it, is that it falls more along the lines about a way to make mind controllers work in a universe that doesn't allow psionical abilities, not saying that its bad of curse, but I was thinking that a sci-fi necromancer would be much more focused on biological manipulation not necessarily on mind manipulation or cybernetical technologies being used to achieve the same thing.

Although I can totally see something like that working in the sense of finally achieving an army of "undead" people, is just that instead of programing AIs you trap actual reprogrammed people in bodies.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.