[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fantasy in space

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 9

File: lmaBGHk_d.jpg (40KB, 457x600px) Image search: [Google]
lmaBGHk_d.jpg
40KB, 457x600px
How would you add space-travel elements in a high fantasy world? Specifically, I would like to include an elven lunar colony in an otherwise traditional medieval setting. What ideas do you have?

I would think you would have astronaut mages, shielded in multiple layers of protective spells, floating around the lunar surface harvesting moon crystals, before returning to a grey rock settlement under a protective dome of magic. Hot me with your ideas, /tg/. Pictures welcome too
>>
File: tumblr_mh8g1s0WDq1r9z0bmo6_500.jpg (97KB, 500x429px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mh8g1s0WDq1r9z0bmo6_500.jpg
97KB, 500x429px
>>
File: sjlogo_med.png (106KB, 800x348px) Image search: [Google]
sjlogo_med.png
106KB, 800x348px
>>53421951
Right now I don't have ideas of my owm, but maybe pic related can help.
>>
What drove the elves to want to go to the moon? Religion? Necessity? Greed? Curiosity? Was it an effort by their government, a group/guild, or a single individual?

How did they conceptualize the moon, the "earth," and space before they were driven to go there? Did they recognize the idea of a planet/celestial body and that the "sky," eventually gives way to something else, it Outer Space? If not, how did the discovery of the nature of the cosmos as a void full of suns and planetary bodies change them and their culture?

What is the moon like? Is it barren rock with no atmosphere and light gravity like ours? Is it more hospitable? Did they teraform it? Do they live in some kind of enclosed bubble city if terraforming it was impossible?

Does being on the moon have any unusual effects on magic, or did they have to develop any special armors/weapons/fighting styles to adjust to living there? Are their native flora/fauna/resources they have to deal with/exploit?

Finally, how do they get there? Portals? Treasure Planet style space galleons? Wizard casts meteor and you grab on while he throws you? Galaxy Express 999?

Answer all these questions, and you'll be on your way.
>>
File: 1494042921459.png (1MB, 1280x696px) Image search: [Google]
1494042921459.png
1MB, 1280x696px
>>53421951
I fucking love space fantasy, tell us more about your setting
>>
>>53421951
you don't need to worry about your ship being air-tight when you're a lich and your crew is skeletons.

In fact, the lack of air is probably refreshing. Less putrefaction to contend with. Think of the precious storage space and weight restrictions imposed by bringing enough food and water on any significant journey! I briefly toyed with the idea of what would happen if my BBEG Lich decided "Fuck this gay earth" and just fled into space on a flying tower or something.

Discovered years later by the now space-faring humanity as the head of an evil undead alien empire.
>>
Fantasy has moved through the black gulfs of space long before real-world space travel was viable at all. They don't need anything resembling technology to it. Magic, strange alien physiology, and divinity can do a lot of good shit.
>>
>>53421951
>Megafauna which migrate between bodies
>Secret roads deep under the earth, carved by some long dead civilization, which link far spheres in a single step.
>Sapphire citadels which wander lazily between once beautiful vistas on alien worlds, the last remnant of a decadent solar empire.
>>
>>53421951
>How would you add space-travel elements in a high fantasy world?

It's already in place with planar geography.
Planes are connected through portals which act like worm holes but the space between is massive void.

Creatures dwell there but are sparce and totally aberrant. There is still air and if you can sail off of the edge of a plane you can still use the wind to navigate. Gravity is produced by the earth, so every ship has a large stone underneath it.

It's a very primitive and mideval understanding of space but it works.
>>
>>53421951
>I would think you would have astronaut mages, shielded in multiple layers of protective spells, floating around the lunar surface harvesting moon crystals, before returning to a grey rock settlement under a protective dome of magic
I thought you said it was a high fantasy world. Why is your moon so boring?
>>
File: apocalypse_v5.png (3MB, 1920x1196px) Image search: [Google]
apocalypse_v5.png
3MB, 1920x1196px
>>53428391
Well, that's what this thread is for. What ideas do you have?
>>
File: sjlogo.png (2MB, 1013x1500px) Image search: [Google]
sjlogo.png
2MB, 1013x1500px
>>53421951
...seriously, Anon?

You do pic.
>>
File: 1493233478809.png (1MB, 1000x563px) Image search: [Google]
1493233478809.png
1MB, 1000x563px
>>
>>53421951
Star Wars
>>
File: 1436139830187.jpg (2MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
1436139830187.jpg
2MB, 2560x1440px
>>
>>53422676
This.

You dont need physics to work the same they do IRL, just have it be internally consistent.
>>
>>53421951
What system are you using?
>>
And like every other time space based fantasy is brought up
I present to you Dragonstar
>>
>>53421951
Why do you want space travel, specifically? is it the hostile environment? the zero gravity? the isolation?
>>
Random thought I had, shadowrun, refluffed for fantasy, and using the leviathan's from farscape for space travel. Cyberware would be magical, a leviathan would be a cyber space whale bred to take their masters through space, able to survive the mana void of space because that's their natural habitat.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.