[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone have any success with a game that takes place in a single area?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

Anyone have any success with a game that takes place in a single area?
>>
Bump for interest
>>
>>53399982
single urban settings can work quite well.
>>
>>53399982
Most superhero games take place in a single city.

Other than that, I actually prefer to do games that take place in smallish areas unless they're specifically about exploration. It makes it easier to have a recurring cast of NPCs if they don't have to follow the players around. It also means that locations can more easily be the site of more than one significant scene which gives them more character and lets the players see the world changing due to their actions.
>>
My most recent campaign was the players stuck in a monster filled ruined underground city. They had to fight their way out. The only problem I found was introducing new NPC's and giving them opportunities to buy equipment, other than that it all worked out well.
>>
>>53399982
Several times now I've run a CoC one-shot where the players are all snowed in at a hotel in the Rockies. Does that count?
>>
>>53401921
Sounds like it, details?
>>
>>53399982

There's lots of campaigns that take place in a small-ish area as their premise. Super hero campaigns have been brought up. You can have games that take place in Sigil-style supercities in fantasy as well. Megadungeons tend to cover an area that can seem vast, but only because it's an accomplishment to get 50 feet down a corridor, and the dungeon is really only a couple of square miles. Investigations and mysteries require a grand total of about four or five rooms to work, and while typically those rooms are spaced out across a city or some such, the basic structure of a mystery is exactly the same if you cram all five of those rooms into one tiny ski lodge or haunted condominium or whatever.
>>
CoC, just build a spooky house and have the players investigate it like a Scooby-Doo mystery.
>>
>>53401983
Basically it's as I described, I made a map in Powerpoint based on what I could remember of the Stanley Hotel in Colorado. The PCs were snowed in by a freak blizzard and began to succumb to an interdimensional fungus similar to cordyceps. The first time I ran it one player said it gave her nightmares.

Horror works really well for games in a small location. Isolation helps fuel the atmosphere.
>>
I tried to do a L5R game set with travelers stuck in a mountain side village inn in the middle of a blizzard, but it didnt work well for the following reasons, a) was a one shot so the player characters weren't fleshed out, b) tried to mix hidden magic character, diplomacy, and simmering feuding warfare, c) needed clearer goals other than having the pc's avoid getting bushwhacked by bored/drunken Scorpion magistrate.
>>
>>53399982
I ran a VtM (went for over a year before finishing) and a M&M in NYC. But that's a pretty big city.

More related to the topic I ran a (sort of) Exalted game that took place in a village surrounded by fog. As the players beat evil/corrupting influences (not exactly but close enough), the fog lifted allowing reliable/safe travel to nearby areas. Took about 7 months to finish, and the players really like that game.
>>
File: 1489240847766.jpg (1MB, 2248x1250px)
1489240847766.jpg
1MB, 2248x1250px
>>53399982
I once ran a campaign that took place in a 50 ft diameter bubble of space that had been sealed away in timeless space. The PCs were tricked into using a magical ritual the trap a demon. Unfortunately for them, it trapped them as well. I had a kind of inception mechanic going on where if they fell asleep they could blink into a different instance of the bubble. Lasted 4 sessions and the players seemed to enjoy it, which is more than I can say for most of my high school games.
>>
File: 1394388032761.jpg (143KB, 870x696px)
1394388032761.jpg
143KB, 870x696px
I still want to run Nightshift someday.
>>
>>53399982
My last campaign took place entirely within one city.
Although that wasn't intentional. The players just never left.
>>
>>53404698
I did this last Halloween.
It's actually the only game I've managed to run.
It was pretty successful, everyone had a good time.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.