[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So, on June 17th new edition of Warhammer 40k comes out, here's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: Emperor_vs_horus.jpg (271KB, 1024x713px) Image search: [Google]
Emperor_vs_horus.jpg
271KB, 1024x713px
So, on June 17th new edition of Warhammer 40k comes out, here's question, never played ANY tabletop, but since I read Horus Heresy and played DoWs, I am kinda interested in getting into 40k tabletop, especially I heard rules will be easier, what should I get for starter? What do I have to know?
>>
>>53389777
>what should I get for starter?
The Start Collecting box of whatever faction appeals to you.
>>
>>53389798
Do I get compleat army ready to play just after painting? Do I get rulebook? And should I get models from new edition or older one will work as well?
>>
>>53389777
>>53389852
Short answer is: we don't know yet.

Start Collecting! boxes were a good deal (and will still probably be, money-wise) and were playable right off the box because they had a special formation with them (= a way to organize your troops). BUT formations are gone in 8th so maybe you won't be able to use it directly.
You'll have to respect some rules for your army to be legal. From what we know, you'll be able to play almost anything, but it won't always be optimal (if you go heavy vehicles only, you'll have less 'Command Points', which allow you to use special abilities, re-roll a die, etc.). The absolute minimal detachement seem to be one HQ and one troop.
You'll need something to cut plastic with, a can of primer (black or white, but make sure it's written 'primer' on the paint can), paints, and brushes.
Watch Duncan's videos on WarhammerTV to get an idea on how to paint. THIN YOUR PAINTS (= mix your paint with enough water on your pallet). THIS IS NOT A JOKE, FUCKING DO IT.
>>
>>53389852
The Start Collecting boxes give you a leader unit, some infantry, and generally another specialized infantry or a vehicle. That's enough to play some small games. I would not recommend getting a rulebook now, as the new edition is coming soon. All models are viable and usable in the new edition too. Use the time to get models you like and start assembling and painting.

Alternatively, wait for the new starter set to go on preorder and get that with a buddy. The models will be easier to put together and will include all needed rules and accessories. But it will only have Space Marines and Death Guard.
>>
>>53390301
Thanks, so in simple words, I have to wait till 3rd June and get Start Collecting! box and all stuff for painting/building?
>>
>>53390322
Death Guard sounds good for me, and if I would like to play other factions, I should go for old models, right?
>>
>>53390322
>All models are viable and usable in the new edition too.
Source his ass.

Start collecting box however is almost always a good choice OP just because of the discount. Id wait tho because I wouldnt be surprised if they announce a new group of battleforce boxes.
>>
>>53390400
What? It's been said by GW nonstop that all current models are playable in 8th. Quit making shit up.
>>
>>53390400
>All models are viable and usable in the new edition too.
>Source his ass.
It's literally one of the first things they confirmed in the FAQ nigga, even Forge World models will have rules
>>
>>53390462
>>53390465
>Viable
Sure thing chumps. Please tell me more about how you know the game will be perfectly balanced?
>>
>>53390508
Oh, you're a retard. Nevermind then. OP just ignore this guy.
>>
>>53390301
We know that Start Collecting will be legal, as they've shown a global FoC that required one HQ and one unit of troops.
I don't think any SC boxes lack that, do they?
>>
>>53390343
If you're interested in Space Marines or Nurgle Chaos you may just want to start with the new 8th edition Starter box. You'll also need the index book for whichever faction you choose if you want to play in "matched play" the more competitive mode where each army is broken down by points.

That and clippers, a knife, glue, brushes, and paints.

>>53390387
Old death guard models won't really be any cheaper since the old death guard are all metal/resin rather than plastic. Either try to trade the Marine half of a Starter for someones DG half, or pick up just the Death Guard half being sold on eBay. That will give you a good start.
>>
>>53390547
>Oh, you're a retard.
Lol. Stay mad cause you know I'm right. There havent been any points cost released and we barely know how it all come together.

But its ok I understand you can be seen to be wrong on the internet so please reply with more insults. I cant wait.
>>
>>53390508
Probably won't be, especially at first, but yearly point updates across potentially the whole range give them a mechanism to get things more balanced then they've ever been before.
>>
>>53390573
Oki thanks a lot
>>
>>53390508
the way you phrased it was ambiguous and made me think you were talking about rule availability
>>53390547
nah, he's right about this. The rules we have now make us think this edition will PROBABLY be much more balanced, but we have no way to be sure yet. Though he's only right because the same thing could be said about every product ever, including clothes (will it fit?), food (will I get sick by eating it?), hoovers (will it work when I plug it in?), etc.
>>
>>53390629
Also, with regard to the hobby supplies. You can save a few bucks buying a hobby knife, clippers, glue and brushes at an independent hobby store rather than GW brand. For paint though you need to get paint made for models, big bottles of craft store acrylic paint won't work well. There are a number of good brands of game oriented acrylics, but for a beginner I'd suggest you go ahead and stick to GW's paints to make it a little easier to follow the official tutorials on YouTube. The WIP thread has lots of helpful I go for the hobby side of things.
>>
>>53389777
>What do I have to know?

Your wallet is gonna scream
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.