[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Magic related stuff

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: dataset-original.jpg (576KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
dataset-original.jpg
576KB, 1920x1080px
Hi, so, I just got into magic. Played two games, won once. Can you guys help me follow the actual lore of it a bit better? Tried reading 1d4chan, but, not much help.

And uh, any general tips for playing?

Thank you.
>>
Lore advice:
- Ignore the lore

Play tips:
- Your life points are a resource; don't get attached to them, and don't worry about losing life if doing so gives you an advantage
- Unless you can use then to kill your opponent, save burn spells for opposing creatures
- Being able to draw more cards than your opponent (card advantage) is very useful
- When deckbuilding, make sure to have a nice range of spell costs, weighted towards the lower end (mana curve). Powerful expensive spells are useless if your opponent takes you out before you can play them.
>>
>>53388345
Following new Magic lore is rough. Instead of a whole series of books you get snippets online, and even the books have a wide variety in author and quality.

Also, the fan wikis leave much to be desired as far as finer details, as does the Magic site really. There's nothing wrong with getting into the lore but just don't put too much investment in it, because Wizards has kind of stopped doing so.

If you find a card or set that looks or sounds cool, look up stuff for it. Otherwise, I wouldn't go out of my way to read or emotive everything.

And >>53391489 gave good gameplay advice. Here are a few other tips.
>card advantage could be killing two creatures for one spell
>creature auras should be used sparingly
>don't take it too seriously; it's a game. the reality is that probability will screw you, someone else's budget will screw you, and your deck's weaknesses will screw you. take the loss, learn from the experience if you can, and enjoy your next game
>>
>>53388345
>Can you guys help me follow the actual lore of it a bit better?

HAHAHAHA

Alright forreal, if you wanna know what's going on in the stuff that's coming out now, the link I'm about to post has the background story of our five protagonists. (http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-story/magic-origins-new-era-2015-06-03) The current story is a bit... unpopular with /tg/, but it's what's going on now. Just read the "Magic Story" column on the website, updates every Wednesday.

If you wanna go beyond that, well, you're entering the maze. For about 6 years "Magic Story" was called "Uncharted Realms" and varied from "The Story, period" to "A short story from one of the dozens of planes Magic has been". Beyond that there's a bunch of books that go from a solid read to absolutely bumfuck awful.

mtgsalvation has the barest bones of lore, and what they do have is pretty god damn spotty.

Finally, some guy named Jay does a column called Archive Trap that's probably the best place to binge the story. I don't know. http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/magic-fundamentals/magic-storyline/629495-archive-trap-a-vorthos-guide-to-mtg

Good luck.
>>
>>53388345
>Can you guys help me follow the actual lore of it a bit better?
LOL
>>
>>53388345

If you have steam or an iOS device download Magic Duals. It's the best place to start.
>>
File: Gisela.jpg (85KB, 640x468px) Image search: [Google]
Gisela.jpg
85KB, 640x468px
>>53388345
Lore Advice: you may need to buy the books (they're relatively cheap, and supposedly can be found in libraries), as finding a PDF download is somewhat rare. other lore advice is already listed in thread.

Game Advice: >>53391489 and >>53392959 pretty much cover the basics. you probably have a precon, and will want to move to other decks. While finding the deck to build is different strokes for different folks, I commonly ask myself the question of "What do I want to do when playing this deck". It helps find the core cards in your deck, and you're doing what you wanted to do.

Stay fun, don't let the radicals tell you how to have fun. just don't be retarded
>>
I don't know if OP is even checking this anymore, but I'll throw in another beginner's tip:

Creatures are typically easier to remove than artifacts, and artifacts are easier to remove than enchantments. So if there is some important ability you have on a creature, but it is possible to use an artifact or enchantment with the same ability instead, go with those. (provided the creature doesn't have greater utility by being able to attack and block). Although I understand that lately game design has been watering down non-creature spells, and powering up creatures, so this may be less viable.
>>
>>53388345

Let me tell you something OP. I've been playing since 1993 on and off and even I don't know the actual lore 100%.
>>
>>53398786
If you play campaign mode in this it pretty much teaches which all the worst possible decks you can build by forcing you to use them.
>>
>>53388345
The lore was somewhat ok, with interesting ideas but it became too much of a shitshow a few years ago. There is close to nothing salvageable.
>>
File: Image.jpg (33KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Image.jpg
33KB, 223x310px
Go find your closest LGS (local gaming store). If you don't know, there is a store finder on the Wizards website.

Find players to play with at your LGS that have similar experience with you. You can also find more experienced players that are "casual friendly". Some competitive players don't mesh well with new players or casuals, but some can get along fine.

I strongly recommend building a commander deck and a standard deck. The commander precons are a great place to start. Precons for standard are very weak.

Build something cheap for standard unless you have a ton of expendable income. Build something that you think looks fun, not something that has the highest win percentage or whatever.

Commander is the most popular format in magic and it is designed for casual play. Standard is the most popular tournament format, and tournaments are really fun. When you feel like you understand how to play pretty well, play in FNM (friday night magic) at your LGS. It's usually standard, and it's a tournament with prizes but it's typically very laid back.

Buying singles is almost always better than buying sealed packs, but if you don't know what singles you need, packs are fine.

Don't buy into the attitude that "net decks" are bad. Some people enjoy the creative/puzzle aspects to deckbuilding, some people just want to play the game as an intellectual exercise. Not everyone cares about building something original. If you like building decks, go for it but don't buy into the meme that net-deckers are trash.

Read articles if you really want to be good at magic. Here are some of the best articles written about magic: http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/shoulders-giants-2013-08-06

This is the single most important article to read for new players: http://www.starcitygames.com/magic/fundamentals/3692_Whos_The_Beatdown.html
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.