[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/tg/ - Does Metro

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 6

File: Metro 2033 Red Background Poster.jpg (463KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Metro 2033 Red Background Poster.jpg
463KB, 1920x1080px
I recently replayed the Metro games and I'm starting the books now. I want to run a game that would evoke the immersive and desperate feeling that the Metro setting creates. What system and DM techniques would you use?
I was toying with the idea of adapting the setting for a game of Dark Heresy, what do you guys think?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=an0rZ-knfpI
>>
>>53368544
You can draw inspiration from Krieg which is quite similar to Metro 2033 Earth right down to the mutants. What kind of enemies do you plan on having your players fight? Mutants, Xenos, Cultists, Daemons?

I'm also thinking you should also have the environment be the primary deadly hazard to the party. Along with Human NPCs who you may or may not trust on such a forsaken world.
>>
>>53368660
Essentially it would be set in either a abandoned Hive City where the vast majority of the population has been evacuated and they are the descendants of those that were left behind or an abandoned mining colony.

The Imperial control structure has entirely broken down except for a militant group of Imperial Guard who hoard weapons and investigate dangers to the population city/colony.

The primary enemy would most likely be other humans and bandits. Their are rumors about cultists but those that do follow the dark gods are more akin to Khan. Wandering occultists with a real understanding of the environment.

There would be a ticking time-bomb that threatens the city/tunnels and must be dealt with, much like the Dark Ones.

Hopefully played in tabletop where I can set up soundtracks for the dripping of tunnels and the sound of rail carts.
>>
>>53368809
What kind of inquisitor do your acolytes work for? Is their goal to disarm this bomb you speak of or do you plan on thickening the plot from there?
>>
File: stars6.jpg (74KB, 1178x663px) Image search: [Google]
stars6.jpg
74KB, 1178x663px
>>53369216
I don't think they would be surviving under an Inquisitor, mostly likely they would be roped into doing some leg work for their 'station' which would spiral out of control and end with them working side by side with the Guard Remnants. Must like how Artyom ends up working with the Rangers.
I think it would be split into two parts.
First direct investigation where they identify the nature of the threat and try to fathom it and then travel across the tunnels to report it to people that could actually do something, then the second part where they attempt to neutralize it, one way or the other. All the while dealing with the damgers of the tunnels/city. Could be a section where they travel outside, for the first time they see the bleached sun through the chem-clouds of the planets as they wade through knee deep industrial chemicals avoiding the dangerous mega-mutants of the surface or being the first people in a century to see the stars as they attempt to walk across the surface of the moon to a different base, their space suits slowly failing against the vaccum of space.

Perhaps at the very end they activate some sort distress beacon in hope of attracting a rescue mission from the rest of the Imperium.

I guess the Inquisitor could fill the role of 'Hunter'. Appears at the very beginning and goes MIA sending the party on their adventure.
>>
Dibs on playing Khan.
>>
File: 1484683486231.jpg (66KB, 670x658px) Image search: [Google]
1484683486231.jpg
66KB, 670x658px
>>53369629
>wanting to play as the DMPC
>>
>>53368544
>I'm starting the books now
Don't bother. Extremely generic "chosen one" bullshit combined with "hero's journey". And the first book, after initial 6 chapters, was crowd-written, so you are basically going through a book written by bunch of Russian internet anons.
Anything else in the verse is just copy-paste of original idea, going into really ridiculous situations. The few books that aren't like that are instead Fallout-rip offs (they take place on the surface, because people quickly realised there is a limited amout of metro lines in the world to write about)
>>
>>53368544
GURPS. Use GURPS and After the End with High-Tech to gear queer. It's perfect for a Metro 2033-type game.
>>
File: 1493125647900.jpg (10KB, 240x240px) Image search: [Google]
1493125647900.jpg
10KB, 240x240px
>>53369690
>And the first book, after initial 6 chapters, was crowd-written

What the fuck are you on about? And it may be a classical hero's journey at its core, but its steeped in such thick layers of mysticism and Russian melancholy that it breaks out of that mould.

OP, you'll like the books if you appreciate the depressing and dirty.
>>
File: 901.jpg (271KB, 816x639px) Image search: [Google]
901.jpg
271KB, 816x639px
>>53370321
>What the fuck are you on about?
The author published initial 6 chapters on his page when working on it and having creative breakdown. He basically had no idea what to do with the rest of the book, so asked people about it.
The final book is basically a fanfiction collaborated with original author, based on the first 6 chapters. Everything after that is crowd-work.

>steeped in such thick layers of mysticism
Who are you kidding

>Russian melancholy
*nostalgia. That's the word you are looking for. In theory the setting is supposed to represent Russia after the fall of communism and everyone looking for new ideology and way of living, but in practice it's one fuckhuge nostalgia trip to Soviet Union.

>it breaks out of that mould.
It's still a painfully average hero's journey. The only thing that really breaks out of the mould is the ending, which was added by the author (as you might guess, the crowd-written story ended with an upbeat and fanfares of wiping out the danger)

>if you appreciate the depressing and dirty.
That still won't make them good. Want a good post-apo read? Go for "Postman" or "Canticle for Leibowitz" or at least "I am legend". Looking for cheap schlock that you can predict from the onset of the story? Metro is exactly that.
>>
>>53370571
>>53370321
>>53369690
Can we stay on topic? I have my girlfriend read it to me when I try to sleep or I listen to the audio book. I don't read much so I'm enjoying it so far. I love the melancholy feel of it, real cosy.
I always liked those kinds settings because the smallest joke or token of love shines through the darkness like a candle. Sorry, back to it
>>53370019
Any advice for building atmosphere and getting that melancholy feel?

Resources management and scrounging would be an important aspect ofcourse. I'm warming up to the idea of putting it in WH because I'm familiar with the setting, due to there being very little light and scarce fuel, lasguns aren't as effective because the power needed to fuel them isn't easily obtained
>>
>>53370721
>Any advice for building atmosphere and getting that melancholy feel?
It's all in the description and presentation. It's not a temple, it's a ruin. It's not a road, it's a crumbling pass. Dark Souls did this to great effect with its visual aesthetics; I recommend playing the game and just trying to describe what you see on the screen, then add layers to it. Imagine the smells and textures.

Melancholy is defined as "a feeling of pensive sadness, typically with no obvious cause." Thing of little details that conjure up feelings of sadness. Urban exploration photographers, for instance, love to take melancholic pictures of chairs and toys, especially dolls and teddy bears. Things that once served a purpose and now have none, no one to appreciate them. Anor Londo really hit me hard because it was a pristine location, yet empty. Nobody was around to appreciate it. This was just compounded when it turned out to be an illusion based on the memories of Gwyndolin, of what Anor Londo once was.

I think that's a key element: Make players think about the before in the presence of the after, what used to be. Everything's dead now, so you can only wonder at what it was like before. The structures surely must have been magnificent, gleaming and proud, but those days are long gone.
>>
>>53370721
Like he said - After the End is your friend. Even if you are not going to use GURPS, the AtE for it is short, compact and comes with pretty much all ideas (and mechanics for them) you will ever need for such game.

And like I've said, give Postman a chance. Forget the god-awful movie, the book swiftly combines cozy with depressing and hefty dose of self-depriciating black comedy.
>>
>>53370898
>>53370886
I will give both of those a try.
I'll see if I can't find a audio book of Postman as I read painfully slowly.
I'll take a look at After the End and see if the mechanics jog any creativity in my mind.
Thanks for the help.
>>53369629
Obviously everyone wants to play as Bourbon.
"Some call them Demons, I call them bitches!"
>>
>>53371110
I doubt it, but the book is divided into three sections (originally it was published as two semi-related novellas and then combined together into a book with 3rd part), so you can easily just stick with 1st or 2nd part, without reading the rest. In fact, reading 2nd part "blindly" (eg without knowing anything about the book) is probably the best experience you can get out of it, so I HIGHLY advise going a-chronological with it.

AtE provides easy to use and even easier to modify random roll tables, making looting and encounters very easy to manage, since you don't have to be creative with those, and in the same time the tables provide both variety and stable "norm" (being bell curve and all) rather than lolsrandom outcomes.
>>
My friend ran a campaign based on Metro but taking place in Washington D.C.. Same monsters and shit. I played a large dumb Russian man who occasionally had bursts of insight, my friend played some kind of random badass who I don't remember much about. It died after about 7 sessions because he never DMs for longer than that.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.