[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Blood Mage D&D class

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: D&D_Transparent.png (57KB, 1500x750px) Image search: [Google]
D&D_Transparent.png
57KB, 1500x750px
This is a class that I made for a friend of mine who wanted to play as a caster who used HP instead of spell slots. I really liked the idea, so I drew this up. Tell me what you guys think:

1d10 hit point die

Armor proficiencies: none
Weapon proficiencies: daggers, darts, slings, quarterstaffs, light crossbows
Tool proficiencies: none

Saving throws: INT, CON
Skills: two from: Arcana, Investigation, Nature, Perception, Religion, Insight

Spell list: same as Wizard
Cantrips known: Levels 1-3: 3; Levels 4-8: 4; Levels 9-15: 5; Levels 16-20: 6
Spellcasting: Instead of having spell slots, you must pay HP to cast spells. All costs are irreducible necrotic damage. The costs for each spell level are:
Cantrip: 1 HP
1st: 4 HP
2nd: 10 HP
3rd: 20 HP
4th: 34 HP
5th: 52 HP
6th: 70 HP
7th: 88 HP
8th: 110 HP
9th: 140 HP

At Bloodmage Level 1, you have access to 1st level spells. You gain access to 2nd level spells at Level 3, 3rd at Level 5, 4th at Level 7, 5th at Level 9, 6th at Level 11,
7th at Level 13, 8th at Level 15, and 9th at Level 17.
Learning new spells works in the same way as Wizard. Note that since the techniques between Wizards and Bloodmages are different, you cannot copy spells from a Wizard's
spellbook, and must instead find a Bloodmage's spellbook if you want to learn additional spells.
You are able to cast spells at higher levels by paying that level's HP cost.
Spells cast as a ritual do not have an HP cost.
Your spellcasting modifier is INT. (Spell save DC = 8 + proficiency bonus + INT modifier; Spell attack bonus = proficiency bonus + INT modifier)
Any spell that causes a target to regain HP has half the effect if you cast it on yourself.
If a spell cost brings you to 0 HP, you become unconcious after the spell comes into effect. (You cannot gain HP from a spell cast in this manner)
>>
Here are the features:

Level 1: Once per rest, you may take an action to regain 1d6 HP per Bloodmage level.

Level 2: When you cast a spell (not including cantrips), you may use a bonus action to reduce its HP cost by 1d4-1. This increases to 1d6-1 at Level 10.

Level 3: Choose Magic of Wrath or Magic of Cunning.

Level 4: Ability score increase. Again at levels 8, 12, 16, 19

Level 18: When you are below half health, your spells become empowered. Your spell save DC is increased by 4, and damaging spells deal an extra 1d12 + INT modifier damage.

Level 20: Once per rest, you may target a creature within 15 feet of you. Your next spell's HP cost will come from that creature instead of from you, as long as the spell
is 6th level or lower. The creature's max HP must be greater than or equal to double that spell's HP cost. If the creature would be reduced to 0 HP by this effect,
it is reduced to 1 HP instead.
>>
And the subclasses:

Magic of Wrath:
Level 3: Cantrips do not have an HP cost.

Level 6: Your damaging spells deal extra damage equal to half your INT modifier (rounded up).

Level 10: Once per rest, when you cast a spell, you may target a creature within 15 feet of you. That creature takes 1d12 + INT modifier necrotic damage, which is reduced
from your next spell's HP cost. If that creature is not willing, it must make a CON saving throw; on a failed save, it suffers these effects. On a successful save, it takes
no damage, and your spell's HP cost is not reduced. If the amount of necrotic damage dealt by this ability is reduced or increased, your spell's HP cost is reduced by the
final amount of damage taken by the targeted creature.

Level 14: When you cast a spell, you may use a bonus action to cast an additional spell (not including cantrips) at double its HP cost.

Magic of Cunning:

Level 3: Choose one of the following schools of magic: illusion, divination, transmutation, or abjuration. Choose an additional school at Level 10. When you cast a spell
from your chosen school, if the spell has a duration, you may pay 5 additional HP per spell level to double the duration.

Level 6: Once per rest, when you would take damage from any source other than a spell's HP cost, you may redirect that damage. Reduce the amount of damage taken from the HP
cost of your next spell.

Level 10: When you cast a spell from your chosen schools that has a saving throw, you may double its HP cost to add half your Bloodmage level (rounded up) to the DC.

Level 14: 6th level spells or lower cast from your chosen schools have half the HP cost that they would normally have. This does not halve any additional damage taking
effects you would use. Any reduced HP cost effects are calculated before the HP cost is halved.
>>
This looks really neat. Would it be too OP to have a level ~12 ability to share the spell cost with a wounded enemy or ally? For example, roll a 1d4, result takes the HP from the target and the rest is taken from your HP pool.

I just think it'd be cool to have the ability to bring in a teammate who can make an offering to help cast the spell, especially if the bloodmage is weakened.
>>
>>53362674
I had considered that, but I wasn't sure where exactly to fit it in, since it can make you rely on your teammates too much (which can cause frustration for both the person playing the bloodmage, and the rest of the party). Maybe it could work as part of Magic of Cunning?
>>
Seems pretty weak honestly. They should at least have light armor proficiency. Cantrips having an HP cost seems excessive as well.
>>
>>53362735
The point was to make it similar in structure to Wizard, the higher hit die making up for the HP costs. At Level 2 already, the amount of health you have is enough to make the class more powerful than Wizard in some ways. Cantrips costing 1 HP was a way to mitigate that.
>>
>>53362732

I think for the concept it would fit into Cunning. In my mind, the cool/forbidden part of bloodmages is that you can draw on others for power if need be.
>>
>>53362802

And not necessarily willingly.
>>
>>53362857
Wrath has something along those lines, but very limited.
>>
>>53362428
>Cantrip: 1 HP
I'd get rid of that, being that cantrips don't require spell slots. Also the costs of the rest of the spells are a bit... wonky.

Assuming +2 Con and 6 HP/level, a 17th-level Bloodmage would have exactly 140 hit points. So they can either cast a 9th-level spell or, y'know, live.

One thing you can do is make Constitution the spellcasting ability, so people are more likely to max it first and won't have to choose between having enough hit points to use spells and getting feats or diversifying their character. Assuming they start with 16 in Con and 14 in Int (pretty reasonable considering the standard array) maxing both would require all five of their ASIs.

More to the point, though, definitely change those spell costs. It doesn't even seem like you went through and considered what the average hit points at each level would be, which is like the first thing you should've done. For example:
>At 3rd level, the wizard has four 1st-level slots and two 2nd-level slots. To match that, the bloodmage would have to spend 32 of their 25-34 hit points. They can only cast that much by putting Con over Int, which means the wizard's spells are also more potent.
>At 6th level the wizard can cast four 1st-level, three 2nd-level, and three 3rd-level spells, which would require 106 of bloodmage's 46-64 hit points, which they could possibly do if they had +4 Con, spent all 64 of their hit points on spellcasting, then spent all their Hit Dice (and rolled pretty well on them) and used most of those hit points on spellcasting as well. They recover half of their Hit Dice after a long rest, so they can only do this every other day. The wizard doesn't have to worry about this at all.

You get what I'm saying.
>>
>shitbrewing on best edition aka 5e

Ugh... Just no.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.