[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to get my mom a mahjong set for her birthday. Does /tg/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

File: mahjong.jpg (61KB, 395x309px) Image search: [Google]
mahjong.jpg
61KB, 395x309px
I want to get my mom a mahjong set for her birthday. Does /tg/ have any recommendations? Ideally something I can send her from Amazon since she doesn't live nearby.

Price isn't a huge concern but I'd like to keep it under $100.
>>
>>>/his/
>>
>>53361317
It's traditional and it's a game.
>>
File: 0 HP.jpg (65KB, 619x465px) Image search: [Google]
0 HP.jpg
65KB, 619x465px
>>53361317
>>
File: 227.jpg (95KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
227.jpg
95KB, 600x600px
First, is she a regular player or a normie? That should decide if you're getting original set (that assumes people already know the stones) or set with transcriptions (for winds, dragons and numbers) and cheat-sheet for scoring.

Second, don't cheap-out on gifts. If budget is an issue, give combined gift for multiple days of significance. (eg. B-day + X-mas). But because you're over 18 years old, you might as well go and earn some more money.

Third, unless she lives on another continent, you have no excuse to don't deliver the gift in person.
>>
File: Lupin_goes_oldschool.jpg (207KB, 799x916px) Image search: [Google]
Lupin_goes_oldschool.jpg
207KB, 799x916px
>>53361317
How does it feel to be >>>/wrong/?
>>
>>53361563
Thats an awful lot of
>implying
for one post friend. You dont know OP's circumstances or why he is doing what he is doing. Also you didn't really answer OP.
>>
>>53361563
fuck off. OP gave you his budget constraints, stop reading into shit on how he's a terrible person.

Since we seem to be assuming things about OP I'll assume the best.

OP is a student in college attending school on the other side of the country. He can't afford to take that many trips home and limited his trips to major holidays and the summer break. His time is also really limited with finals starting up, but he still wants to do something nice and personal. He knows his mom plays mahjong a lot, but her set is getting old and worn and some of the pieces have replacements that don't match.

Despite his poor student life and having to study for school full-time instead of working, he has managed to save up $100 tutoring other students specifically for this present.

But not being familiar with mahjong himself, he's not really sure what to get and asks /tg/.

tl;dr fuck off, anon and just offer some advice on the mahjong set and not his budget or family matters

>>53360976
Sorry, OP. I don't know shit about mahjong. The best I can guess is look for something that looks pretty and comes in a carrying case?
>>
>>53361563
She's a normie.

I'm not sure why you think I'm cheaping out by wanting to keep the price under $100. I want something durable that looks nice. If that can't be done for under $100, I'm open to going up in price, but my mom isn't going enjoy a more expensive set with hand carved bone tiles any more than a set with plastic ones.

We don't live near each other. She doesn't come here for my birthday and I don't see her for hers.
>>
>>53361924

Get her an American set. The tiles will be smaller than standard, but she'll be able to play Western Mahjong or Hong Kong with it. The only size smaller are Japanese tiles, which you could go for if space was a constraint.

As I'm blind like a mole, I use Large tiles, these are also called Hong Kong tiles and are typically what you see when the tile is chunky and two toned.
>>
>>53362638
I thought country just meant which tiles were included, not how big they are?
>>
Ask her what variant she plays.
If she plays American or one of the other versions with jokers, it would suck to get her a set without them.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.