[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Board Game General /bgg/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 321
Thread images: 57

File: oie_K98dn3wvxIQE.jpg (177KB, 1051x664px) Image search: [Google]
oie_K98dn3wvxIQE.jpg
177KB, 1051x664px
>Last thread
>>53295629
Pastebin
>http://pastebin.com/NA2W929q

do you guys know why heroquest is so great?
>>
File: IMG_0989.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0989.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
Well hello why is it so amazing? Never had a chance to play
>>
>>53358882
>I have yet to sit through HeroQuest all campaign missions with the same life/rogue like.
Why even live? Has anyone done it?

My friends were normies with ADD and they would get bored/add d&d rules to the game.
>>
File: heroquest.png (5MB, 1926x1082px) Image search: [Google]
heroquest.png
5MB, 1926x1082px
Well at least you saved me having to make the new general and come up with discussion questions, but link in the old one next time OP.

>WHY IS HEROQUEST SO GREAT?
GRAVITY LAND
>>
File: img025.jpg (1MB, 2400x1200px) Image search: [Google]
img025.jpg
1MB, 2400x1200px
>>53361913
>>
>>53358882
If you had to choose between tides of madness and times of time, which would you get?
>>
File: pic2479594.jpg (8MB, 3741x2607px) Image search: [Google]
pic2479594.jpg
8MB, 3741x2607px
What were the expansions like? I only had the base game as a kid, I remember stuff like pic related being impossible to find back then.
>>
>>53361913
Hero Quest - 'Hotel California' Edition. You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave...

>>53358882
>do you guys know why heroquest is so great?

Because our inner twelve-year-old selves still love it and will shank anyone who says otherwise?
>>
>>53361913
That looks awesome
>>
File: hyperdimension_neptunia_010.jpg (44KB, 600x548px) Image search: [Google]
hyperdimension_neptunia_010.jpg
44KB, 600x548px
I bought Pandemic Legacy as my first board game, for 2 players. I ordered it through Amazon.

We've played 2 games without the legacy rules so far and it has been fun. We'll start with legacy rules next game.

I feel like a plebeian, but then again, since this is my first board game, I am.
>>
>>53364326
good goy
>>
>>53362827
They are still hard to find mate. And in the even remote possibility you find them, they go for rape prices being so rare.
>>
>>53364466

Woah those are stunning! I can't wait for the kickstarter.
>>
>>53358882
Honestly, I'm not sure what makes Heroquest so great. I had never seen it played that game until a friend brought out his old copy a couple years ago, and we had heaps of fun. So it can't be a purely nostalgic thing because I had no prior attachment to the game.

Actually, what makes it so great is probably the BROWD SOWD!
>>
>>53364466
This can't be 28mm.
>>
>>53364326
Get out.
>>
>>53365528
FYRE OF ROTH
>>
>>53362890
I never liked Hero Quest even when I was 12.
>>
Help me out anons, I'm wanting to get Camel Up because I think it's something that I'll be able to convince my family to play. I was in my FLGS today and saw that there's a card version of the game without dice or a board. Which version do you all recommend: original with a board or the new one with cards?
>>
>>53366614
The original is a safe bet.
>>
>>53366041
Look at the MUSCUUULARITY
>>
>>53358882

I dunno, I have it and I really dont think it has stood the test of time. Playing the DM is boring as fuck as you get fuck all to do, all rooms are way too tight and you can barely move around in them, the corridors are fucking awful, you're always playing on the same map.
Minis are cute but show their age, dungeon scenery is nice I guess.

I really dont enjoy it anymore.
>>
Is there a true Euro game out there without a god awful theme and/or artwork? I want to try some, but my disgust holds me back
>>
>>53369330
>Is there a true Euro game out there without a god awful theme and/or artwork?
No. Games are for gameplay, not artwork.

>I want to try some, but my disgust holds me back
Find another hobby, you won't enjoy this one if you hate gameplay and only like art.
>>
File: pic1790789.jpg (568KB, 638x893px) Image search: [Google]
pic1790789.jpg
568KB, 638x893px
>>53369378
>Find another hobby, you won't enjoy this one if you hate gameplay and only like art.

That's a bit of a leap, I love gameplay
Forgive me for not wanting to look at this dogshit for the better part of 1-2 hours, aesthetics are important
>>
>>53369429
Look here: you are acting exactly like some moron who goes into /sp/ and claims that he 'loves sports' but wants to follow one that doesn't involve the icky running and ball throwing stuff and focuses more on fabulous fashion choices.

Please get lost, you're in the wrong thread.
>>
>>53369429
>not wanting to pay money for deviantart-tier illustrations is bad
Art is important in a game, anon.
>>
>>53369468
>Art is important in a game, anon.
No it isn't. Claiming that 'art is important in a game' is exactly like claiming that fashion is important in sports.

I mean, yeah, there are housewives who follow ""sports"" like figure skating purely because of the pretty dresses, but you don't want to be that kind of person.
>>
>>53369468
I'm just ignoring this dickhead until someone actually helpful shows up. I know my group sort-of likes Euro games thanks to Scythe, but that's not a true Euro game to my knowledge and it tends to overstay it's welcome at our table

The problem is that we are so unversed in them and if the theme doesn't mesh well it's really hard to get people interested
>>
>>53362827
Dunno, which is a shame as I bought it, still own it, never played it.
>>
>>53369481
>No it isn't. Claiming that 'art is important in a game' is exactly like claiming that fashion is important in sports.
It is.
For the past 30 years fashion, marketing and sports technology have been working together to find the perfect balance of performance and aesthetics, and a lot of those developments are immediately introduced to the consumer world where people buy fashionable, high-performance sports equipment sponsored by their idols.

Art is what breeds familiarity with a game and allows it to be sold to a greater market and cherished in a more enfranchised manner than what it possible from gameplay alone. Chess lives through the ages because it's independent of language, abstracted from it's time, and because at some point someone designed six gorgeous icons people have been relatin to and redesigning ad nauseaum ever since. Checkers and Go will never have that instant sense of familiarity.
>>
>>53369723
The popularity of chess in the West predates the Staunton chess set by about seven hundred years.
>>
>>53369723
>the consumer world where people buy fashionable, high-performance sports equipment sponsored by their idols
You don't want to be that kind of person. And you should be doubly ashamed for enabling that sort of cancer in the boardgaming world.

>>53369610
Don't play with mental retards, problem solved.
>>
File: 1495128021650.png (437KB, 955x953px) Image search: [Google]
1495128021650.png
437KB, 955x953px
>good art is unneeded
This is why everything you like is shit.
>>
>>53369481
Oh come on. Stadium sports are always big on the visual spectacles, big screens, fancy mascots etc. All of it secondary to the game itself by a long way, but that doesn't mean it's completely unimportant. And there's no reason you can't have both.
>>
>>53369854
If art is what you want, then what the fuck are you doing in a boardgame thread? Boardgames have nothing to do with art.
>>
>>53369801
Which look like icons used in chess manuals from the 1810's-1830's.
Chess beat checkers and go in marketability as soon as people started calling the most powerful piece a "Vizier", and the goal piece a "King".
>>
>>53369899
>All of it secondary to the game itself by a long way
Exactly.

>And there's no reason you can't have both.
That kind of logic brought us ""sports"" like WWF wresting and games like Scythe. No thanks.
>>
>>53369829
Being normal is infinitely better than being an autist like you.
Consummerism is stupid, refusing to consume a product that has been tested to perform, designed to look good and marketed to appeal, is fucking retarded.

If games had as rigorous a development as sports equipment does, half of them wouldn't exist.
>>
>>53369911
>Chess beat checkers and go in marketability as soon as people started calling the most powerful piece a "Vizier", and the goal piece a "King".
False, chess became the most popular game because of two reasons: a) it lends itself well to solo-mode puzzles and b) it's a fun tournament game to watch.

Checkers is a game for toddlers and go suffers from having a board state too busy to evaluate at a glance.
>>
It's mental health month. And anons here are helping us be aware about autism and it's quirks.
>>
>>53369925
>consuming a product
What the fuck are you doing in a boardgame thread? The shopping general is somewhere else, not here.
>>
>>53369938
>b) it's a fun tournament game to watch.
Which obviously has nothing to do with it being visually appealing.
Just quit before you go full retard and imply chess' look and flavor are not strong contributors to it's popularity.
>>
>>53369947
Nigger, games are products.
Go fuck yourself with your che guevara tshit.
>>
File: archipelago-contents.jpg (532KB, 3000x1207px) Image search: [Google]
archipelago-contents.jpg
532KB, 3000x1207px
>>53369330
here you go.

>>53369429
Dang man, that's not even a really bad one. Lucky you weren't trying to get into this hobby 10 years ago.
>>
File: 4162.png (166KB, 492x529px) Image search: [Google]
4162.png
166KB, 492x529px
>>53369966
>Which obviously has nothing to do with it being visually appealing.
It doesn't. The critical thing is that you can glance at a chessboard and figure out who's winning and what kind of moves might follow. This means chess games are fun to spectate. (Contrast to e.g. go, where playing it is fun, but watching other people play is a clusterfuck, see picrelated.)

The visual style of the chess pieces themselves had nothing at all do with the popularity of chess. Have you even played a single game of chess ever, or are you here only to roleplay a mental midget?

>>53369973
Nigger, I'm not aware I suddenly awoke in bizarro world where were's discussing "game products" and "shopping opportunities" instead of playing games!
>>
>>53370015
>play game
>all I do is moving a piece or toss a die
>there's no theme
>I have no idea what the fuck I'm doing nor why I'm doing it
If you want to compete with someone, you might as well do some sport or martial art instead of gaming, because it's the true essence of being against someone, and it still allies the beauty and the talent. Not that your fat ass understands this anyway.
>>
>>53370058
>>I have no idea what the fuck I'm doing nor why I'm doing it
If you're a sub-90-IQ idiot, yes.

>>If you want to compete with someone, you might as well do some sport or martial art instead of gaming
If you're a sub-90-IQ idiot, yes.

But you're right that boardgames only really appeal to those with a talent and upbringing suitable for complex mental effort, just like body sports only appeal to those who grew up doing something physically demanding.
>>
>>53370105
>board games
>complex mental effort
Picture yourself me laughing the fuck at your ass.
>>
>>53370118
Welcome, Dunning-Kruger.
>>
>>53370134
Did you just ad hominem me twice in a row because I think your themeless games are not appealing? Goes to show the intelligence of people who are overwhelmingly competitive about games. You're brain is so well-functioning that all you can do is attack, attack, attack.

You should relax sometimes. Go outside, fuck some girls, like I do.
>>
>>53370147
I'm
>>53369801
How is this an opinion?
>>
>>53370105
Board games are actually not that popular among the 130+ people. Particularily not abstracts since most are solved exercises, and those that aren't are broken.

Real high IQ people find more entertainment in programming, music and sports.
>>
>>53370158
>inb4 "You're"
If you reply to me using this, then you're obviously not from 4chan in the first place and you should get the fuck out.
>>
>120 snowflake thinks his new age abstracts are intellectual
Even Magic is more complex, runt.
>>
>>53370166
Let him under his delusions. He saw Charles Xavier and Magneto playing chess all the time so he thinks you can be intelligent if you play only "actual games" that show your intelligence.

By the way, being narrow-minded to the point of idiocy is not a sign of possessing a good intellect either.
>>
>>53370166
I thank God every day that I'm 129 and can therefore appreciate board games.
>>
>>53370118
Not what I said, dipshit. Read again and try with some reading comprehension magic sauce this time.

>>53370166
a) I'm among those "130+ people" and you're demonstrably wrong.

b) Also not what I said, read again and apply your reading comprehension kung-fu this time.

P.S. That said, yes, you're one quarter right in that boardgames typically promoted and peddled in the USA appeal to lowest-common-denominator idiots. It's getting better with time, but very slowly.

Things are different for the rest of the world where kids' brains aren't ruined with cancerous boardgames and toxic play patterns from an early age.
>>
>>53370190
>>53370195
Are you high? Stop huffing glue, nobody mentioned abstracts ITT except you.
>>
>>53370202
>>53370105
>you're right that boardgames only really appeal to those with a talent and upbringing suitable for complex mental effort
So you implied here that board games are played only by people who can exert this "complex mental effort", and as a result, you have drawn a parallel with the act of doing board games (since those are for "people with the ability to perform complex mental effort"). You really should try to put that "highly performant" brain of yours to actual use at some point, instead of barking like an ill-behaved pitbull.

As a result, you're just an elitist asshole and you should just get the fuck out.
>>
>>53370200
Didn't say 130+ people can't appreciate board games, they're just more likely to appreciate Descent 2e than The Duke, contrary to what stereotypes may have you think.
>>
>>53370202
I bet I can beat you at every game that requires more than 8 variables and I'm sub 120.
You're exactly the kind of people I get to kick down a notch at game design courses.
>>
>>53370215
Chess is an abstract.
You're tripping balls or don't even know the most basic gaming conventions?
>>
>>53370244
I was being facetious. A hard 130 means less than people think it does anyway, IQ can fluctuate based on time of day and blood sugar. The Duke was easy to develop a play heuristic for when I did, IME pressure is far more valuable than board presence, but that's just IME.
>>
>>53370242
>So you implied here that board games are played only by people who can exert this "complex mental effort"
I did not. Read what I actually said again: "boardgames only really appeal to those with a talent and upbringing suitable for complex mental effort".

Did you fail school? Take some remedial reading classes.

>>53370261
>I bet I can beat you at every game that requires more than 8 variables and I'm sub 120.
Probably. I'm not competitive in either physical or mental sports and I mostly play with kids.
>>
>>53370015
There's only one reason something isn't successful, and that reason is bad marketing.

KD:M will remain the biggest indie moneymaker for a very long while and it's a dicidedly dumb game that would be entirely unplayable without the plethora of resin tits and fetish artwork in it's "rulebook".
>>
>>53370286
>game
It's a set of models with a board and a rulebook orbiting them. dude.
>>
>>53370244
>they're just more likely to appreciate Descent 2e than The Duke, contrary to what stereotypes may have you think
That's true, The Duke is a lazy and broken version of chess, I have a hard time figuring out who it's supposed to appeal to.

That said, there's a mountain of games better than Descent. (Unless you live in some hellish burgerland wasteland where Steve Jackson is the pinnacle of boardgaming.)

>>53370271
What's chess got to do with the discussion? Stop huffing glue.
>>
>>53370286
> KD:M will remain the biggest indie moneymaker for a very long while
There's a huge, huge, huge world out there outside the TFWNOGF burgerclap online teenager circlejerk.

KD:M doesn't even register as a blip on a blip in the larger boardgaming world.
>>
Spiel des Jahres nominees 2017

>For the SdJ proper:
Kingdomino by Bruno Cathala
Magic Maze by Kasper Lapp
El Dorado by Reiner Knizia

>For the Kinderspiel (children's games)
Captain Silver by Wolfgang Dirscherl & Manfred Reindl
Ice Cool by Brian Gomez
The Mysterious Forest by Carlo A. Rossi

>And for the Kennerspiel (more complex games)
EXIT: The Game by Inka and Markus Brand
Raiders of the North Sea by Shem Phillips
Terraforming Mars by Jacob Fryxelius
>>
I teach games at a local game store, mostly Hive, The Duke, Carcassonne and King of Tokyo.
Since 2008, the only people I have been able to teach and play a whole game with, without having to go over and over rules or being otherwise disenfranchised from the experience, were a family of rednecks. All because their momma taught them not to use their phones at the table.

Discipline and good time allocation have more to do with how much you'll enjoy board games than IQ, competitiveness or social acumen. People who can't timeslot and concentrate will ruin the game no matter what talents they bring to the table.
>>
>>53370330
What other independent game has raised 10M before even hitting retail, oh know it all autist anon?
>>
>>53370105

I feel like I need that image of a guy paying for high-quality shit to eat, even though it's not 100% analogous.
>>
>>53370202
You don't sound 130+. You sound like an angsty 120 teenager mad that he's not being praised for being at the bare minimum of high performance.

You hit a wall and now your 90- peers don't satisfy your intellect but 130+ people won't stroke or even tolerate your ego. Poor misunderstood "genius".

Go play Pokemon or Magic for a while, once you have your ego beat down by entropy and dumb creativity no matter how well you strategize and min-max your gameplay, smart people will be more willing to play with you.
>>
Why is everyone using numbers instead of standard deviations.
>>
>>53370105
Sports, particularily team sports, appeal to way too many high IQ people. It's just they have to get out of high-school and start seeing the resource management aspect of it instead of being bullied by the losers that barely made the team, to notice they actually like football.
>>
>>53370541
Because this is 4chan, where even the geniuses go to act retarded.
>>
>>53370003
There is a lot going on there, but I'll give it a shot next week. Thank you
>>
>>53370545
>Sports, particularily team sports, appeal to way too many high IQ people.
Nobody said anything about "high IQ people" except your sorry ass.

What I *actually* said was this: "boardgames only really appeal to those with a talent and upbringing suitable for complex mental effort".

And lo and behold, this >>53370412 dude corroborates:
> All because their momma taught them not to use their phones at the table.
> Discipline and good time allocation have more to do with how much you'll enjoy board games than IQ, competitiveness or social acumen.
>>
File: nervous.png (180KB, 375x375px) Image search: [Google]
nervous.png
180KB, 375x375px
I can't tell my job interviewer that I basically fap to anime all day.

Mentioning playing which board games would impress a job interviewer, but not make him suspicious that I may be bullshitting him? Additionally, it should also express a good taste, optimally through it actually being good.
>>
File: groucho.jpg (9KB, 216x218px) Image search: [Google]
groucho.jpg
9KB, 216x218px
Not contributing to this shitshow.
Bumping with unrelated greasepaint mustache.
>>
>>53370984
All he'll see when you mention board games is an adult man willingly spending his free time playing Candyland.
>>
>>53370984
Only if they ask. No one cares about your hobbies.

If you have time to mention them in a Job interview and your over 16 you've fucked up quite a bit.

I'm projecting though I mention mine all the time because finding work that doesn't want me on call in the evening has proven impossible in this day and age.
>>
>>53369854
>That crop of that comic
I know you've been to some naughty places anon.
>>
File: th.jpg (20KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
th.jpg
20KB, 300x300px
Picked up Cosmic Encounter about a month ago and I'm really enjoying it. Now I'm looking into picking up some expansions, which ones should I get first?
>>
>>53371905
Incursion, dominion
>>
I love those days where I sleep late but don't have to worry about catching up on the posting in /bgg/

>>53371905
If you're a collector? All of them, preferably in print order because it's more OCD to buy chronologically. If you're looking to get a longer life out of the game? Dominion/Incursion for a rewards deck, Storm for space stations so everyone gets more gamebending powers, or Conflict for hazards (only if you feel like there's not enough times in the game where you say ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!) Haven't played the newest expansion so no suggestion there. If you want to expand player count that's the first 3 (Incursion, Conflict, Alliance); skip alliance til last unless you really want white ships.

>>53372250
This is a pretty good buy order, tho I'd put Storm at the end, just because I like stations. Incursion gets you to 6p, with the best addon (rewards deck) Dominion has the better deck.
>>
>>53369330

Just a quick look at my shelf:

Village
Belfort
Yedo
Broom Service
Argent The Consortium

There are also these that I do not own but played before:

Yunnan
Gallerist
Vinhos Deluxe
Yokohama (Recent Edition)
>>
Is Dominion still the king of deck builders, or has anything managed to surpass it?
>>
>>53373365

Dominion might still be the best pure deckbuilder.

Other good games include:
Arctic Scavengers, Clank, Tyrants of Underdark, Valley of the Kings series, Realms series (Star Realms, Hero Realms etc..) and my recent favourite, Dale of Merchants.
>>
>>53373365
>not enough arguing in the thread
As far as market deckbuilders? I'd take Trains every day because there's actual meat beyond the mechanics. Trade row? Star/Hero Realms has blown up quite a bit; but lots of people dislike the balance problems with a random row of cards to buy. Bag building? Puzzle Strike prolly has the best balance, but Sirlin seems to want to just make games, not market them to sell.
>>
>>53373540

speaking about bag builders, Hyperborea is also quite underrated.
>>
>>53373365
If you want raw unthemed deckbuilding Dominion is probably the 'best' at that.

But I enjoy Core Worlds, Thunderstone Adv, and Valley of the Kings way more than Dominion. They have more depth than just 'buy this card cause it gives you points'.

But I know they haven't/won't ever reach the volume that Dominion does because they are much more niche themes. Dominion is so sanitized that it's completely inoffensive to just about any tastes and can therefore appeal to many tastes.

Dominion is still the 'king' of deckbuilders much like how Magic is the 'king' of card games, and Monopoly is the 'king' of sales.
>>
>>53373365
I would say it is in that everyone has said for years "This will replace Dominion" and then it never does. That being said, I think broadening your horizon will find you a deck builder you like more almost certainly. Just depends what you're looking for in a deck builder. My favorite is Baseball Highlights 2045, but I would never expect that to fill in for Dominion as far as one size fits all.
>>
>>53373697
See but when people say "this will replace Dominion" the game they're talking about does. Dominion is is a lot of collections; but when someone says "this will replace Dominion" it often does *in their* collection. You're not ever going to replace the first game that created the genre fully, still defines it (to a point, trade row are their own thing) and has as many expansions and long term support. You will however often find a game more tailored towards your own needs/group.
>>
>>53373843
It did for me because even when it was the big thing, I never liked Dominion. Too little player interaction. That being said, most people I know who said that still own, play, and get expansions to Dominion more so than any game they said replaced it.
>>
>>53373365
Yes, it's still the only one with some semblance of depth and/or strategic thinking.
>>
>>53374699

pffff HAHAHAHAAHA
>>
Just impulse bought Galaxy Trucker on a trip to my FLGS. I've played it before, and I love it despite its (many, many) flaws. Textbook example of a game that's more fun than it is good. Hoping it's gateway enough for my not-quite-gamer friends as well.
>>
>>53374989
badwrongfun.jpg
>>
File: dj01_sample.png (192KB, 325x282px) Image search: [Google]
dj01_sample.png
192KB, 325x282px
My copy of Descent 2E arrived yesterday. Inviting some normie friends over to give it a go tonight. Any tips on running it for the first time/what to expect?
>>
>>53374989
>textbook example of a game that's better as an app than the physical version
I suppose you can buy the missions expansion, but the bang/buck just gets trashed by putting it all out there for $5.
>>
>>53374865
You're right broski, those other games where you buy the bestest card and immediately win are, like, totally much deeper cause they're awesomesauce badass, or something.
>>
>>53375436
Be gentle with your player. Don't play to win.
It's sad but if you use some "dirty tricks" on normies (like blocking the path with bulky monsters or focusing 1 player) even if it doesn't make you win, they will be frustrated.
The game has a balance issue and the snowballing is real. Don't give the end of scenario's reward only to the winner, but also to the loosing side

My2c
>>
>>53374989
What are the flaws of GT ? I was thinking of buying it but I only played the first tier of a race
>>
Thoughts on Blood Rage?
>>
>>53376190
Meme tier game, the newest iteration of the same game that gets periodically redone and reflavored by Lang. Now with more plastic and KS exclusives! (e. Rising Sun)
>>
>>53376186
Lack of any real decisions during the flight phase, and not much player interaction generally.
>>
>>53376346
Any similar games you would recommend instead?
>>
>>53376186
It's disjointed between the build/timed phase and the deck/flight phase; a lot of people play it an enjoy half the game but not so much when your ship gets blown all to shit randomly. When you add in missions there's a bit more direction so it helps, but at that point you're throwing good money after bad.

>>53376355
>not much player interaction generally
Also this, you're really playing against the clock rather than each other, the only blocking going on is someone taking a ship part before you can, but that's going to be random based on what tiles you grab first.
>>
>>53376461
Kemet, Cyclades, CitOW, Dune.
>>
>>53376186
Not that guy but another guy who likes playing Galaxy Trucker here. I wouldn't say it's so much flawed. There's not like house rules I would implement or something to fix it. It's more just that the kind of game it is won't appeal to a number of people. The real time mad dash to grab tiles, the chaos of where the asteroids are going to be coming from. Some people tell me the flying the ship phase takes too long but I've actually found it to go really quickly once everyone knows what they're doing. There is however not much to do during it outside of deciding how to use your batteries and the obvious decisions of if you want to stop at the station or not.

I don't mind the chaos and you can put some strategy into building your ship as you can look at the incoming threats. It also has a decent press your luck aspect being able to bail on the mission and cut your losses and sell what you have before you lose too much.
>>
File: minis.jpg (146KB, 844x549px) Image search: [Google]
minis.jpg
146KB, 844x549px
>>53376190
This is the exact same game Blood Rage is without the minis. Go ahead and tell me people aren't buying this purely because it has pretty plastic.
>>
>>53376827
To be fair he did revise the game a bit, card decks are different, the map is different, clan evolution changed. I wouldn't buy it because I really don't like giving CMoN my money (haven't played either edition and don't plan to) but to say it's the exact same when Lang himself said he revised it to create the game he intended and missed on is a bit disingenuous.
>>
>>53370158
I merely point out that you proved without doubt what you know about how mentally challenging board games can be: precisely nothing.

And you didn't get the point of my post either.
>>
>>53376827
> Minis = "Normies" = REEEEEEE!!!!
>>53377051
Shhhh! Don't try to inject logic and critical thinking into his rant. Trying to reason with the unreasonable and retarded is just a waste of time.
>>
>>53369429
I want to draw rule 34 of that dwarf lady mostly so there's one drawing of her in the world that isn't kinda meh
>>53370984
If it does come up, just emphasise the social aspect and lightheartedly point out that it's not just Monopoly and Risk these days
>>53371164
>No one cares about your hobbies.
It comes up in interviews more times than you'd think - it's just so the interviewer knows more about the candidate. I know one guy who used to hire people who loved playing soccer, because his company was building a team.
>>
>>53377051
>They changed some cards, it's a completely different game!
The map is slightly different but not better. The new middle section is just the source of all the BS strategies in the game.

You know what else Blood Rage changed? They removed the 5th player. Oh you can get it back for the low low price of $29.99!
>>
>>53377490
Continuing to be hyperbolic doesn't help make your point anon; if you don't think it's a 1.5/2.0 revision point out all the similarities rather than linking a single BGG image and flipping out that the new edition has miniatures.

Here's a good question for the argument: would it sell as many copies if it wasn't loaded with plastic? Prolly not, but would it have gotten remade if there wasn't an angle to help pump sales?

If you want to just bitch about CMoN I'm totally cool with that too but make it a separate thread, we've had too much shitting up of /bgg/ the last couple months.
>>
>>53358882
Dear /bgg/ Anonymous,

I've been very bad on my budget this month. I picked:

Panic Station (+ the Geek expansions)
Not Alone (Europe Edition)
Vast: The Crystal Caverns
Hit Z Road
Fairy Tale
And I ordered 'A Hand Full of Stars'.

I was surprised at how much I liked 'The Arrival' and I'm hoping that the other two Martin Wallace games prove to be as enjoyable.
>>
File: pic1425265_md.jpg (83KB, 336x500px) Image search: [Google]
pic1425265_md.jpg
83KB, 336x500px
>>53377375
>I want to draw rule 34 of that dwarf lady mostly so there's one drawing of her in the world that isn't kinda meh
What is it about the women on board game boxes? Bought winter edition of Carc because I wanted it in the collection but didn't want to waste money on expansions for a game that won't get played all the time. Turns out the best part isn't the tiles being all comfy and matching living in the north, it's the smug af look of the chick on the box.
>>
File: pic1746008.jpg (693KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
pic1746008.jpg
693KB, 640x640px
>>53377693
Can we make this a thread about board game waifus? Because I'd like that very much.
>>
>>53377849
>that buff beer-keg pirate waifu
Almost made me buy the game at a silent auction a while back. Are we including con-babes or just game art? Because Marie Claude is top tier game waifu; makes her own costumes and she's loaded with plastic.
>>
>>53375630

There are games outside of Star Realms which lets you use card in multiple ways. Check some of the other recommendations.
>>
File: 514px-Tacticsbeacon.png (402KB, 514x600px) Image search: [Google]
514px-Tacticsbeacon.png
402KB, 514x600px
>>53377974
I'm down with either. It'd sure as hell be better than the previous shitstorms
>>
>>53374699
So you've never played any other deck builder except Star Realms then?
>>
File: IMG_1390.jpg (63KB, 332x443px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1390.jpg
63KB, 332x443px
>>53377849
If I was stranded by myself on a desert island with no internet for a month and a copy of Kemet, I'd probably fap one out over this chick.
>>
File: idBangherIYKWIM.jpg (138KB, 500x218px) Image search: [Google]
idBangherIYKWIM.jpg
138KB, 500x218px
>>53377849
>>53377974
I bought RDI4 partially for Bryn and partially for the alcohol theme. It ended up not being very good.

Here's a girl from a better game.
>>
File: BrynVictorious.png (583KB, 1200x1000px) Image search: [Google]
BrynVictorious.png
583KB, 1200x1000px
>>53378866
Oh the game definitely isn't good, but she's still a wonderful tomboy. Then again the entire franchise isn't all that good and is more sold on the theme than any actual delivery
>>
>>53366041
PLASMA GUN

... oh, wait
>>
>>53377849
Best girl coming through
>>
File: 1478484287891.png (960KB, 996x600px) Image search: [Google]
1478484287891.png
960KB, 996x600px
>>53379220
... and I'm a retard
>>
File: pic2358081_lg.jpg (262KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
pic2358081_lg.jpg
262KB, 1024x768px
>>53379259
>best girl
>not false commander pixie
Yup you're a retard anon
>>
File: contessa.jpg (312KB, 531x763px) Image search: [Google]
contessa.jpg
312KB, 531x763px
>>53379327
I have a thing for redheads
>>
File: Top9MBGirls.jpg (502KB, 888x1322px) Image search: [Google]
Top9MBGirls.jpg
502KB, 888x1322px
>>53378948
Yeah she's top-tier tomboy. Too bad about the games.
>>
>>53358882
Well I'm going to start in board games.
Is runebound a good replacement for heroquest? I say replacement because I cannot buy the original one, and while I see the anniversary version listed as pre-order, there is no idea on when it will be ready
>>
>>53371905
Why is this game now over 70$ in brick and mortars in leaf-land?

I mean, I found Sheriff of Nottingham in Prince Edward Island for 75 bucks, so there are more bizarre price gouges out there, but man.
>>
>>53380478
That's not a crazy price, MSRP is $59.99; FFG has always charged a hefty price for it. "Classics" are easier to have bigger tags, and since ANA decided fuck bargain shoppers the cheapest you're getting it online is closer to $50 than $40 like before
>>
I didn't realize how wanted hero quest was until I started browsing this board, I visited my parents and planned to grab my brothers old box and sell it as it wasnt missing any pieces...when I finally looked for it she apparently threw it out a few weeks prior since it sat there for a decade.
>>
So what are games you'd feel confident in saying are good from the last 2 years. None of this "I'm not sure how long it will last" business. Stuff you're confident will be in your collection 2 years from now.
>>
>>53381376
Cave Evil: Warcults
Argent: The Consortium
Pax Pamir
Zimby Mojo
Nevermore

yet to play Pax Renaissance but I'm pretty confident on that as well

not 100% sure about Triumph & Tragedy though, the one full game I played involved the USSR player rushing nuclear tech way too aggressively which seemed to be a cheese strat, will need more plays to confirm how effective it is to counter that
>>
>>53360617
Yeah did it once, shit was ca$h
>>
>>53380383
>wanting to start playing board games
>posts in a thread where people are shitposting about presentation and posting waifu's
Are you sure you want to spend time with these sorts of people?
>>
>>53362827
I had this expansion, the models were absolutely fantastic and those men at arms are still my favourite ever sculpts for the nostalgia. But sadly I never played it as although I had Heroquest in 1990 I didn't have anyone to play it against till years later and no longer had the expansion.

;_;
>>
>>53381188
I too know this feel, but my parents gave my copy to a Salvation Army.

>>53381700
I fell for the Warcults meme. I think my roommates will dig it since they are in a metal band, but they only ever play normie games like Scrabble and Dixit so I'm not sure if it'll grok with them.
>>
File: 1465498000308.png (38KB, 578x712px) Image search: [Google]
1465498000308.png
38KB, 578x712px
>>53370496
>>
>>53380383
>Is runebound a good replacement for heroquest?

Anon, the real question we need answered in order to point you in the right direction is: "What do you want out of a 'dungeon crawl' style board game?" Things like:

Number of players 2 - 4, 3 - 5. 2 - 6, etc?
Typical length of game play? - 45 minutes, 90 minutes, 2 - 3 hours?
Stand along 'adventures' or dungeon crawls that are a part of a 'larger campaign'?

That sort of stuff will help folks more likely assist you in finding a game that you / your group will enjoy.
>>
Those of you who play/have Epic, how do you store your cards? By that I mean do you put them all together without care of the order they're in or do you arrange them in some way (by alignment, each deck by itself, etc). My autism is making me want to separate them by alignment and also keep all three base sets separated as well but I feel like it's overkill
>>
File: 1460486963454.jpg (20KB, 287x480px) Image search: [Google]
1460486963454.jpg
20KB, 287x480px
Im looking for games to play with zero friends.

Already have Legend of Drizzt, Wrath of Ashardalon, Castle Ravenloft and a pretty ok 40k Space Hulk card game.

Any recommendations?
>>
>>53383407
I've heard that Friday is a good solo game. What are the d&d board games like?
>>
>>53383584
Pretty fun but can be limiting because they only have so many scenarios.
>>
>>53383407
Anything co-op is a solo game that can multi-task.
>>
>>53383407
XenoShyft
Robinson Crusoe
>>
>>53383002
3-4 players, 2:30 max game. I would start by isolated games, but I would like the possibility of campaign later on, if my pals want to get one.

As I don't know much, I have just seen boxes images and read some reviews of runebound and descent 2ed. Feeling more inclined for the later. But can I start with any expansion or do I have to buy some basic set?
>>
>>53383407
play vidya
>>
>>53358882
I want to learn Kingdom Death Monsters. I have the Scripted v2 mod all set up on TTS, ready to go. What I'm wondering is how well would it go if I try to learn the game solo? I want to make sure at least one of us knows how to play before bringing it to my group. If so, should I just play the one character, or multiple?

Alternatively, would I be better off trying to find someone who already knows the game? I know that's pretty much always the better option, but is it feasible without? Of course, if someone wants to play and help me learn, I'd be down for that, too.

>>53383195
How many expansions are there? I only have the first set, and I just keep the cards sorted by their colors.
>>
>>53383695
If I'm wrong then someone please correct me but I believe that there's the 120 base card set and then two expansion sets (Tyrants and Uprising). Each expansion comes with four packs of 13 cards (one for each alignment).
>>
My friend backed Dark Souls and still hasn't received it. Steamforged is ignoring his emails, too. What should he do?
>>
>>53383695
The fuck is going on in that picture?
>>
File: Kingdom-Death-Art.jpg (86KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
Kingdom-Death-Art.jpg
86KB, 960x540px
>>53384021
Do the expansions add any new rules or keywords?

>>53384039
Some crazy bullshit. Kingdom Death is a weird setting. And Kingdom Death Monsters makes it a weird board game. Apparently there are tentative plans for a card game in the future, too.
>>
>>53383407

Mage Knight. That shit is enthralling if you look at it like an action maximizing timed puzzle.

Check Ricky Royal's (I think that's it anyway) videos on YouTube to see if you'd like it at all, and help you to understand gameplay too.
>>
>>53384039
Two survivors receiving a blessing to engage in consensual adult sex in the missionary position for the sole purpose of reproduction.
>>
>>53384108
>sex
You mean they don't just pour Love Juice on themselves and the baby pops right out?
>>
>>53384081
>Do the expansions add any new rules or keywords?
I don't have any of the expansions so this is purely a guess, but I think they just add more cards
>>
>>53384108
>consensual adult sex in the missionary position for the sole purpose of reproduction.
You sick fuck. I hope you get banned.
>>
>>53384039
12 MILLION DOLLARS FOR THE PENIS THRONE
>>
File: IMG_0995.jpg (3MB, 3519x3519px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0995.jpg
3MB, 3519x3519px
>>53383407
Not bad solo i had fun
>>
>>53369637
Good to know the holy grail of my childhood rightfully sits unplayed on some anonymous grognard's shelf.

>>53382374
I wish we could've been friends in 1993, I ran HQ like 100+ times through all of the quests with the other kids in my neighborhood.
>>
>>53380383
Runebound 2nd edition is a good pick. Depending where you live you might have trouble finding a copy for a decent price.

It's good with 2-3 players - you can also play it solo if you have no friends.

I play mostly wargames, but Runebound 2nd edition is still one of my favourites.
>>
>>53384032
They got a new update on their KS page.
If you're asia/aus prepare to wait another 2-6 weeks.
>>
File: Fighter_02_1024x1024.jpg (101KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
Fighter_02_1024x1024.jpg
101KB, 900x600px
>>53384512
Seems like a good cause to me.
>>
>>53383195
I only have a single base set and shuffle everything then deal cards randomly for quick games, I imagine for 3 sets separating by alignment, then maintaining a separate deckbox for ongoing decks you're playing would be ideal.
>>
>>53384955
>>53380383
I've never actually play Runebound, myself. How is it?
>>
>>53380383
Dungeon Saga is HeroQuest 3.0
>>
>>53381376
>So what are games you'd feel confident in saying are good from the last 2 years.
Isle of Skye.
>>
>>53383407
Robinson Crusoe.
>>
File: SH2_BoardPieces.pdf (4MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
SH2_BoardPieces.pdf
4MB, 1x1px
>>53358882
Anyone got links to scans of the latest Space Hulk tiles? Can't find a set on ebay for a decent price, I'm about ready to print my own.
Here's the 2nd edition cards, it anyone wants them.
>>
>>53381376
Triumph and Tragedy and Falling Sky are the ones I am absolutely certain I'll play as much as I can. They are incredibly solid games
>>
>>53383686
>3-4 players, 2:30 max game. I would start by isolated games, but I would like the possibility of campaign later on, if my pals want to get one.

Perfect! What your 'want list' describes could be what many would define as a 'medium weight' Dungeon Crawler style board game. (Heavy weight would cover things with high complexity rules and/or longer game run times - like 3 to 6 hours per game.)

>As I don't know much, I have just seen boxes images and read some reviews of runebound and descent 2ed. Feeling more inclined for the later. But can I start with any expansion or do I have to buy some basic set?

1. When it comes to games in general one usually buys a core set first, and then adds expansions to it later. It is more common for the expansion to require the base set in order to actually use the expansion, rather than the expansion being a stand alone game. It typically tells you on the box or game description if it requires another / core set in order to play it.

2. Games like Runebound, Deus, and Legends of Andor are more like 'World Exploration' games rather than simple 'Dungeon Crawler' style games (i.e. the scope / scale of the game is different though the overall goal may be similar). Descent 2nd Edition isn't a bad game, but there can be 'play style' issues. By that I mean if the Players and GM (Game Master who runs the monsters) view it as a head to head competition between them, then it becomes a race to see if the players can complete missions as fast a possible while the GM tries to block them as quickly as possible. The alternative being the adventures explore much of / the whole dungeon while the GM runs the monsters and helps describe the outcome of their encounters. The is a new 'APP' out that allows the game to run without a human GM which might be worth a look if you want to play, rather than being stuck with GM'ing the whole time (and hopefully helps with the whole Players vs GM mentality).

(Part 2 coming up).
>>
File: Wrath_of_Ashardalon.jpg (238KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Wrath_of_Ashardalon.jpg
238KB, 1024x1024px
>>53388431
(Part 2)

You might check out the D&D series of board games - Wrath of Ashardalon is a good starting point. (And if you don't mind Sci-fi themes and can find a copy - Gears of War can play 1-4 players and is a kick-ass 'SF style Dungeon crawl' shooter.)
>>
I'm planning to make a tower defense board game; is this the right thread to discuss it?
>>
>>53388011
I can't say that I've seen any scans of the newest Space Hulk tiles (unfortunately). Sorry. That said, I'd be very surprised if the wasn't already a set floating around out there on the interwebz. You might try some of the torrent sites to see if you can find a 40K torrent with SH stuff included or try one of the 40K general threads. Hope that helps.
>>
>>53388492
>Hope that helps.
Thanks m8, I'll keep looking.
>>
>>53388452
>I'm planning to make a tower defense board game; is this the right thread to discuss it?

You can - just be prepared for people to offer useful criticism while others randomly scream "stop liking what I don't like!" There is/was a sporadic 'Game Design General' thread, but I haven't seen it up in a while.

> Multi-part captcha's Suck!
>>
>>53388451
Thanks I will look for the D&D games. Other alternative is dungeon saga. Too heavy?
>>
>>53388736
I'm not personally familiar with Dungeon Saga. You'll have to do a bit of research. One thing you can do is check out some 'how to play' or game play-through videos on youtube. Generally looking up the name of the game will lead you to multiple links. You'll find some reviewers likely appeal to you more than others.
>>
>>53388431

I would like to elaborate on your mention of Legends of Andor: it's much more like, say, Pandemic in that it's a co-op puzzle-solving game rather than an RPG style game. To the point where you can specifically lose by killing too many monsters.

I like it a lot, far better than many other co-ops, but I'd suggest anyone interested check out gameplay before they dive into it as the story telling mechanic (in which killing enemies accelerates the end of the game) can be polarizing.
>>
File: Rahdo Knows.jpg (132KB, 1203x268px) Image search: [Google]
Rahdo Knows.jpg
132KB, 1203x268px
>>53389417
Cool! Thanks for the heads up. I've never played Legends of Andor, but it has received a fair amount of positive feedback.
>>
Super Dungeon Explore is a good game. Played it like twice with my boys.
>>
>>53390442
I've got SDE base + Forgotten King.

For me the game is 'alright'. It tries to do the big hordes of the Gauntlet style of video games but without the pressure, danger, and excitement that comes along in the vidya. You just mow down hordes of 1-2 hp dudes in a mostly boring slog roll by roll. Towards the end of our three hour game (which we decided to spawn the boss one tile early so we could end the game) each roll began to feel like a chore since each turn felt like two steps forward with killing boring dudes and one step back with the overlord spawning more boring dudes.

And the heroes were all but invincible since the overlord would be lucky to cause 3 or 4(his literal maximum) damage in a turn while the heroes could reliably heal 3 or even 6 damage due to the bullshittery that is the paladin's potion. That combined with the fact that about 40% of the way through the game the heroes are all decked to the gills in murder gear.

The boss fight looked like it was going to be more interesting but then the heroes dropped a bunch of statuses on it and turned the big bad evil guy into the big clumsy cripple tripping on banana peels.

It was disappointing for us because if you played 'smart' and used the combos and synergies that the game prominently displays for you, it trivializes 90% of the game.

I don't intend to tell you that your fun is bad wrong, just state that I had a very different experience. What parts of the game did you like the most? What bits were the most exciting for you?
>>
>>53385033
He's in America.
>>
>>53390783
They also lost their dedicated customer service person a couple of months ago. Took me about a month to get a response about a Guild Ball mispack.
>>
>>53390631
I see what you mean. Both times we played we were pretty new to it so we thought it was fun, but I have to agree on the heroes being basically invincible. I played as the Link looking hero character, and was basically untouchable. Still had fun though.

Ever tried Zombiecide?
>>
>>53391012
I haven't played Zombicide, but I've considered picking up Black Plague.

As for SDE, I'm looking forward to the SDE: Legends stuff wrapping up and delivering soon. From the bits I've read it looks like there's been some serious improvements.
>>
Anything to look for at gencon this year?
>>
>>53391072
zombiecide is pretty sick, I recommend it.
>>
>>53391138
New releases or events that look good? If it's the former I'd go back and look at GAMA footage to see what publishers were prepping everyone on, if it's the latter........ looks like no. Catalog is very meh so far this year (at least for me) though if you're a pen and paper type, Starfinder is releasing around then.
>>
>>53358882
> What is that one board game (or games) that you're really waiting to hit the market?

I'm impatiently awaiting:

Nemo's War
Empires of the Void II
(and the supposed Thunderstone Advanced reprint)
>>
File: Spheres of Influence.jpg (5MB, 3500x2260px) Image search: [Google]
Spheres of Influence.jpg
5MB, 3500x2260px
Anyone here played this? My collection is missing a Risk-type game and after what I've read and seen about this it seems to be just what I want and better than Risk.
>>
File: urban fantasy.jpg (987KB, 2966x2232px) Image search: [Google]
urban fantasy.jpg
987KB, 2966x2232px
How's Tzolkin: The Mayan Calendar? It's reasonably priced for one.
>>
>>53371905
What is it you love so much about it? Asking because I'm thinking of getting one as well. Everyone says Incursion btw.
>>
I know there's an anon out there who was shilling for Aeon's End a couple weeks back. Don't feel like going through the archives to find it, sell me on it anon, I'm trying to figure if it's worth wasting time on at Gencon.
>>
File: TZolk'in.jpg (3MB, 4000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
TZolk'in.jpg
3MB, 4000x3000px
>>53396019
It's an interesting Euro style resource gathering / engine building game. The interesting part is the 'mechanical calendar' (pic related) that times when events work, and has limited worker placement slots. So it all comes down to getting workers in the right places at the right times for the strategy you are attempting.
>>
>>53394725
What you want is Twilight Imperium.

Or if you are a pussy, axis and allies.
>>
File: Tzolkin custom.jpg (234KB, 916x807px) Image search: [Google]
Tzolkin custom.jpg
234KB, 916x807px
>>53396946
And to make it even more appealing - someone painted their gears to make them look like weathered stone. With a careful application of Acrylic paint it shouldn't be to difficult to reproduce this paint job. (Just make sure not to gum up the gears by laying on the paint to thickly on the edges.)
>>
>>53396970
Shit, I haven't played Axis and Allies in over a decade. Last time I played it was in a high school History class. It took like a week.
>>
>>53396946
>>53397008
Interesting input, thank you for the pictures anon. Looks fairly unique. I like that it uses corn. How would you rate player interaction in it?
>>
>>53397445
>How would you rate player interaction in it?

Like many Euro games, player interaction is purely indirect. I can't for example raid you directly and steal your resources. However, if I can discern your strategy, I can place my workers in such a way that I benefit while at the same time block you from obtaining a resource you need to complete your strategy.
>>
>>53398031
Eh, interesting enough game and very nice thematically, I doubt it will reach top of my wishlist sooner than games that have more direct albeit simpler interactions (not necessarily versus) like Pandemic, Kemet, Cosmic Encounters etc.
>>
>>53398031
You might like Bloody Inn if you like Tzolkin. I mean, not too similar but it's a decent engine builder that is not too expensive.
>>
>>53383695
KD:M is really easy to figure out. It even has a "first story" section that introduces you to the game basics by tossing you into a fight. Then from there, any specifics can usually be solved by looking it up in the glossary. If there's something ambiguous to the point where you still can't figure it out after looking it up, there's a semi-unofficial rule from the creator that you should decide in favor of the monster.

There's a black square on the left side of the table, click "rules" and a book should pop up, then the arrows at the bottom turn the pages, and the column to the right skips to chapters.
>>
File: Twilight Snuggle.jpg (506KB, 960x1344px) Image search: [Google]
Twilight Snuggle.jpg
506KB, 960x1344px
>>53377849
>>53377974
>>53378116
>>53378553
>>53378866
>>53378948

Damnit /bgg/! Now we are morally obligated to design, kick-start, and produce yet another board game.
>>
>>53398600
Next OP pic confirmed
>>
File: pic828598.jpg (320KB, 997x1009px) Image search: [Google]
pic828598.jpg
320KB, 997x1009px
so we've been playing a lot of betrayal at the house on the hill and it's expansion lately and we've been enjoying it. we've only done about 6 different haunts but it's still been interesting.
What are your opinions on this game?
do you have a favorite haunt?
What do you think is the best number of people to make it more fair for the betrayer and the heroes so it isn't so one sided ?
>>
>tfw the full gloomhaven game isn't in TTS
>only a prologue that ends on a cliffhanger with no player choice whatsoever between scenarios
>>
>>53398720
>What are your opinions on this game?
General opinion around here is that while it may be a perfectly fun activity with the right people, it's absolute festering dog shit as a game. There's not a single decision to be made in the entire first half of the game, and the second half is usually so simple that there might as well not be any decisions to make there either. Garbage of the worst sort, and I *like* theme-focused ameritrash games.
>favorite haunt
not really
>balanced number of players
Impossible to guess without knowing both the haunt and the map layout ahead of time, both are WAY too all over the place. If you get a betrayer-favorable haunt and a betrayer-favorable map layout, no number of hero players is going to save you.
>>
>>53398720
>>53398720
Some here love it for a fun story telling vehicle, others hate it due to it's lack of 'player agency' i.e. due to the randomly generated map and the random omens leading up to the haunt. The 2nd valid complaint is the lack of balance in some of the scenarios - said scenarios lean heavily in favor of heroes or haunt. That said, my group definitely enjoys an occasional round or two of Betrayal. It's a fun way to tell a semi-serious 'Haunted House' story a la 'Scooby Do' esque game play.
>>
>>53388125
GMT has really been fucking killing it lately
>>
>>53383628
Not Hanabi or, iirc, XCOM
>>
>>53388451
At the end i bought Castle ravenloft because vampires and necromancers>dragons, but i've read is too difficult. is it true?
>>
>>53399020
Xcom is possible to play solo, but so difficult to manage it'd be stupid
>>
>>53399041
I haven't played that one yet. I know there are others who who have played it / own it. Hopefully they can give you a better heads up on that.
>>
File: 1495582247450.jpg (216KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1495582247450.jpg
216KB, 1920x1080px
Which board games are normie filters?
>>
>>53398503
Yeah, I just ran through the first story after watching the scripted version's tutorial to make sure I was using the board right. It went pretty quickly, actually. I managed to crit his hand and his tail, so one of my guys got a point of strength out of it, and managed to nab a bonus tail resource, and only one of my guys suffered any wounds.

I'm not sure how much of a campaign I want to do solo, though. I do really like how the instruction manual is set up, so it throws you right into a proper tutorial. Which is a tad videogame-y, but it works for a game that's set up like this. Especially since it has a premade narrative.

Any idea where I can find people looking to play? Other than this thread, I guess.
>>
File: pic762506.jpg (6MB, 3968x2976px) Image search: [Google]
pic762506.jpg
6MB, 3968x2976px
>>53383407
This is the only single player board game I've ever owned. I remember it being pretty good but that's probably just nostalgia talking.
>>
After watching rahdo's video and reading up on the rules, seeing how well designed the map is and everything I'm really impressed by Tzolk'in. It seems like a very fun game. Technical design is impressive, shame that the wood pieces are not better (or some sort of figurines) but the fact that you can actually paint the cogs and make the game look even more pretty is cool. Thanks to the anon that posted high res picture here.
>>
>>53399041
The difficulty of these games lies on the events deck being an asshole and deciding you need to die. The monsters can be harsh but their AI is there for display so your party can strategize around it.

Ravencroft is a bit harder than Ashardalon, but the true rock falls everyone dies is in Legend of Drizzt. Slightly balanced by Drizzt being the most powerful hero by far.

If you go into it with the understanding that you'll have to retry some scenarios you'll have great fun. It's like a better DungeonQuest, 10 times the gameplay for 1/10 of the masochism.
>>
>>53399913
i've seen people looking for more in the tabletop general chat from time to time

protip: you can use survival actions (such as dash or surge) during the monster's turn, when their AI or trait cards have that down arrow

I didn't find that one out til pretty late
>>
>>53397445
> le player interaction
Ameritrashers need to die, pure cancer.
>>
>>53400534
I already have an engine building game and am just asking about a particular feel of Tzolk'in, no need to sperg out. If anything, this "Euro", "American" and whatnot division is woefully imprecise and would be for the best if it went away completely.
>>
>>53400508
That's a good tip. I got Inner Lantern as my first Innovation, so I can use a surge now. I'll keep that in mind.

By the chat, are you talking about the discord?
>>
>>53400649
I mean the chat in tabletop simulator. If you're on the menu or in a singleplayer game, it connects you to a public chat. Anywhere else is probably better though
>>
>>53400680
Ah. Yeah that chat is not the best experience, especially when someone's got a spam bot in there like what happened last night.
>>
>>53398720
I actually just got this game as a gift from my sister and I haven't had the chance to organize a game night with my friends yet, but I'm very excited to try it out. Looks like a shitton of fun to play.

But god damn the box insert is trash. You've got a million fucking monster tokens and a single hole to store them all in
>>
So I got my dad a copy of this recently, because he's into boats and historical New England. Did I do good, or is it ambergris?
>>
File: GTGRSTRNBED.jpg (288KB, 978x1185px) Image search: [Google]
GTGRSTRNBED.jpg
288KB, 978x1185px
>>53400982
Whoops, forgot my image
>>
>>53371905

LOL every time I see this box art I think of the alien on the cover saying in the best Spicoli stoner voice;
"Hey you guys seen my snail Paul? I lost him at the party last night."

"Check your head Spicoli"

"My whaa, huh huh huh?", "My head?"
>>
>>53376827

I bought it for the minis

No shame.
>>
>>53399680
Literally all of them.
>>
File: pic3102959_lg.jpg (295KB, 1024x675px) Image search: [Google]
pic3102959_lg.jpg
295KB, 1024x675px
>>53394725

I haven't played Spheres but I basically replaced risk and A&A with Risk: Europe recently.

It has a very streamlined card based action system, ranked based combat, acquireable abilities, variable turn order, castles, vikings...
...and the base game takes about an hour!

Every DoaM fan should own this one.
>>
>>53394725
>Risk-type game
Diplomacy is Risk for adults. It's still conquering the world but instead of relying on dice rolls you have to use negotiation, reading people, and forming temporary alliances to win.
>>
>>53401264
Are they better than zombicide minis? I'm kind of iffy on CMON atm, had higher expectations when I bought it.
>>
I taught a friend of mine how to play Star Realms today and she enjoyed it so much that she bought her own copy after two games. I call that a successful day
>>
>>53402446
That's pretty much the ideal result for a first session of a game with someone.
>>
Is Stone Age popular around here?
>>
>>53402757
Yeah, regarded as a good worker placement overall.
>>
>>53402809
I'm looking at gameplay videos at the moment, the only thing I'm not sure about is the over reliance on dice.
>>
File: pic10452_lg.jpg (143KB, 1024x759px) Image search: [Google]
pic10452_lg.jpg
143KB, 1024x759px
>>53401234
West End games cover is comfy af
>>
>>53402856
Normally it'd be a concern but the math is pretty simple so you know more or less what each worker is going to net you on the board. The bigger problem it has is unless you get lucky card/tile draws the moves for 1st-3rd person in any round are set. Farm is almost always going to beat tool, which'll beat worker; getting cards with multipliers for population would change this (assuming you can feed them) but it does make it a bit samey to open each round. That said it's still prolly the best family/gateway worker placement; the theme is better presented than Waterdeep and is more accessible to people anyhow (not that D&D is likely to turn anyone off who's spending time here)
>>
>>53402757
>>53402856
Stone Age is a meh game at best and is only really useful as a gateway game that can be thrown away after three plays, the "over reliance" on dice actually makes decision making relevant, which nothing else in the game actually does
>>
>>53402856
That can be mitigated with tools, it's actually pretty damn interesting. There are some good theorycrafting and math/statistics threads going on about how to maximize the potential to get what you need out of the dice.
Yeah, they will sometimes fuck you over, but with some good strategy and planning the risk is reduced.
Guess I'm trying to say it's mathier and trickier than it appears. Pretty deep.
>>
>>53402997
Would you say that Tzolk'in is better as a worker placement game I was looking towards Pandemic as a gateway game but the core set seems to simple.
>>
>>53403014
It's prolly a better worker placement sure, but also quite a bit heavier; they occupy different spaces in a collection, and in gaming period. Stone Age is really only competing with Waterdeep (and once it's back in print later this/next year Pillars of the Earth). Comparing it to Pandemic is also a bit off; you've got same weight class and player count but that's about it.
>>
Is it a fair assesment that

Caverna > Agricola

and

Spice Road > Splendor?
>>
>>53399956
Dude I gotta get this game thank you for showing me! Even if it ain't the most fun I read all of lone wolf and cub
>>
>>53360422
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cx8sl2uC46A
>>
>>53403086
Eh I'd say not fair, Caverna is Agricola 2.0 (Le Havre would be 1.5) so there's definitely some differences/refinement but the changes also leave it a little less tense, which appeals to some gamers.

Spice Road vs Splendor is more a 1 v 1A comparison; the blinky autist on Gamenight! did a good job comparing them in a discussion post play of Spice Road a couple weeks back (don't remember all of it but basically Splendor lets you more accurately see the path you want to take instead of just building based off what comes up)
>>
File: fatal loli error.gif (906KB, 464x254px) Image search: [Google]
fatal loli error.gif
906KB, 464x254px
>>53403137
His Silver Tower video was wonderful.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eE3BFAXAXTw
>tfw they never made a halfling army
>>
>>53402757
Stone Age is excellent. It's not the deepest game out there, but it has a fair amount to offer and is an enjoyable game.
>>
Anyone got Five Tribes? All I know about that game is that it triggered Wheaton so hard even his millenial cohorts turned on him for a brief moment in time. Good?
>>
>>53403255
Youtube was a mistake
>>
>>53403255
I have it, and always enjoy a play. Have had it for 2 years, and though we've explored quite a bit of different strategies, it hasn't gone stale.
Great replayability and good bang for your buck, IMO.
>>
>>53403255
It's a bit heavier than usual DoW fare, but definitely fits in their catalog. Simple to teach, good depth, reasonably strong replayability, wonderful production values. Wish I'd gotten a copy back when it was printed with slave cards instead of fakirs, slaves make more sense thematically as an all-purpose use to make life easier. Fakirs don't really help you do anything but play a flute for a snake in a basket.
>>
>>53403322
Youtube is great for boardgames. I can see that I like how 5 tribes look I'm wondering about experiences of people ITT
>>
File: Five Tribes-500x500.jpg (144KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
Five Tribes-500x500.jpg
144KB, 500x500px
>>53403338
It's not exactly cheap but I'm considering it. At the moment I'm weighing between Tzolkin, Stone Age and a bit more expensive Five Tribes.

>>53403345
Is pic related with slaves?
>>
>>53403369
If you buy it retail these days no, only the first print run had them, and after the internet shit itself DoW changed it. The only way to really get a copy with slaves would be secondary market or finding an early print that's been sitting on a shelf at your LGS since it released (unlikely)
>>
>>>>53403403
Eh, shame though not a deal breaker.
>>
>>53403421
No it's still on my buy list, albeit not high enough I'm going to grab it anytime soon with my limited budget. I'd just want the slaves because it's better theme and my OCD wants the pure/original edition whenever possible.
>>
>>53403454
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePhFkmrZ8Gs

8:15

These people are amazing

Really amazing

I bet if you gave him the rule to rip those cards he'd praise it even more as an outstanding legacy experience
>>
>>53398720

Lightest game in my collection that doesn't strictly count as a party game. Gotten a lot of play with groups who don't want to think too hard during the evening.
>>
>>53398834

Yeah, it's basically a crapshoot who actually wins. I don't think I've ever seen a player's decisions impact the outcome on any significant level.
>>
>>53402757
I don't like it. It's a convoluted as fuck point salad for such a shallow game.
>>
>>53400534

>le let's all play solitaire and compare who did it better by the end

Euro-autists can suck my dice.
>>
>>53398720
>Complete dogshit
>The shortest one
>Whatever number of players so you can go play another game at its optimum count
>>
>>53403086
No. Caverna is Agricola for dumb people. Even Rosenberg himself doesn't much like Caverna.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRfigcRdi5o

knew this guy was a giga faggot as well
>>
>>53403621
Let's get this straight: when you blather about 'muh player interaction' what you really mean is 'gimme a group activity with a brainless take-that mechanic instead of a game'.

Examples of games with high player interaction are Carcassonne and Agricola -- here you have a myriad of intricate tools to fuck up your opponent's game.

Games with low player interaction are games like chess, where the only way to fuck up your opponent's game is if he makes a crude mistake.

Shit like Munchkin or whatever aren't even games since you're not making meaningful decisions in them.
>>
>>53370347
Ooh shit. I went to order magic maze but even though there was stock this morning it was gone when I went to order. Damn now it's going to be over priced
>>
>>53403646
Source?
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (78KB, 829x262px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
78KB, 829x262px
I had no idea Five Tribes was Doubleplusungood: The Game. If creator didn't buckle under flabby numale bodies it would go to the top of my buy list.
>>
>>53403734
Not really, you have to read between the lines on the BGG forums. Rosenberg did, however, say that he won't do any more work on Caverna. Some other dude is designing the Caverna expansion now. Rosenberg is working on the revised Agricola edition instead, where's they're rebalancing all the cards.
>>
>>53369914
But scythe is a good game you autistic sperg
>>
File: 4e8f4685c080a.image_1_.jpg (71KB, 620x413px) Image search: [Google]
4e8f4685c080a.image_1_.jpg
71KB, 620x413px
>>53370202
>literally you
>>
File: IMG_9723.png (836KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9723.png
836KB, 640x1136px
>>53396203
Incursion is the only real "must own expansion" as it adds both the rewards deck AND an additional player option (most consider 6 players to be the "sweet spot" for cosmic).

Dominion would be next up for fleshing out the rewards deck as well as adding some of the best aliens.

After that I would get conflict for the hazards deck, but you really don't have to buy any more expansions besides incursion unless you'd played the game 50+ times already
>>
Backed deep space d6 reprint. Anyone played it?
>>
>>53403345
They can still be sacrificed to blood hungry djinns
>>
File: FCM.jpg (106KB, 999x714px) Image search: [Google]
FCM.jpg
106KB, 999x714px
What's you opinion on player elimination? Is it as outdated as some people claim these days?

Pic related, I think Food chain magnate is in desperate need for player elimination.
>>
>>53404778
Retards will call for it to go away but in reality player elimination adds a very good element of tension, raising the stakes much higher.

Bang! and WizWar are great examples of this as well as Coup.
>>
>>53404880
>>53404778
I love player elimination in very quick games. Any game where an eliminated player has to sit out maybe more than 20-30 minutes doesn't sound good to me
>>
>>53404911
I feel like if someone can be eliminated for that length of time than its on the designer to add either a respawn mechanic or a ghost mechanic
>>
>>53404306
>scythe is a good game
No, It's an OK game among 100 other equally OK games.
>>
>>53404880
>Game mechanic rewards players by making it so they can't actually play the game
>Good
>>
>>53405090
It doesn't reward players I never even said that you chucklefuck.

It creates tension, it creates high stakes because if you fuck up you are out of the game and there's no comeback.

It rewards whoever survives.
>>
>>53383195
>>53383695
>>53385763
What do anons think of Epic? I'm considering picking it up, probably just drafting to start. What I've read leads me to believe it's deeper than it looks, with lots of hand management driving it's strategy.
>>
>>53405497
I'd say, if you like Magic, this is a good game to pick up. There's a lot of similarity in the rulesets, and there are even notes in the rulebook for doing things like draft-esque formats.
>>
File: epic-cards3.png (459KB, 680x340px) Image search: [Google]
epic-cards3.png
459KB, 680x340px
>>53405545
>>53405497

For example, take a look at these cards. If you play Magic, you can probably figure out exactly what these cards do (other than their cost) just by looking at them without having ever opened a rulebook for Epic.
>>
>>53405559
All of those cards seem really broken.
Is that the point of the game?
>>
>>53405633
They're powerful, but not broken. Creature removal is very common in that game, and damage levels are high. So Infernal Gatekeeper is a nasty piece of work, but there are plenty of ways to deal with him.

Everything in the game also has a cost of 1 or 0. You can play as many cost 0 cards as you like on your turn. You can only play a single cost 1 card, or use a single cost 1 ability between the start of your turn and the end of the opponent's. And if you don't use that 1 (called gold) by your next turn, it's gone. So you can't hoard them, either.

So, despite his nice abilities, the Dark Knight there is a 0 cost card. That's because being a 5/2 means he's very easily killed, and probably won't survive the opponent's next turn.
>>
>>53405357
>It creates tension, it creates high stakes because if you fuck up you lose the game and there's no comeback.
>It rewards whoever wins.

Player elimination is objectively shit.
>>
>>53405688
Shit for a game that lasts longer than 5 minutes.
>>
>>53405688
Ok redditor, keep playing your no emotions allowed games
>>
>>53405704
Ah ok, you're just clutching at straws now.
>>
>>53405715
There's no point in arguing if you're so far opinionated that you believe it's an objectively shit mechanic. There's nothing I could say to change your pleb mind.
>>
>>53405741
>There's no point in arguing because I can't argue against facts.

I believe that's what you meant to type.
>>
>>53405769
You haven't stated a single fact so far
>>
>>53405796
People play games because they want to play the game. Player elimination is bad because it forceably stops people doing the one thing they wanted to do before the game is finished. It's a crutch used by poor designers and shitty games because they can't think of a better way of resolving the issue.
>>
>>53405671
>That's because being a 5/2 means he's very easily killed, and probably won't survive the opponent's next turn.
Just to be sure I didn't fuck up a rule, your opponent can't declare an attack and designate a specific card to attack right? For example Dark Knight would only get broken if it blocked the opponent's attack during the opponent's turn, or some other shenanigans with events or powers. If the player doesn't choose to block an attack with the Dark Knight, the opponent can't affect it, correct?
>>
>>53405911
It's only unbreakable on *your* turn, there are probably loads and loads of cheap shock effects in this game.
>>
>>53382341
Can I be your friend?
>>
File: 5e3.jpg (48KB, 535x577px) Image search: [Google]
5e3.jpg
48KB, 535x577px
>>53358882
hey /tg/ i'm the one who wanted to go to his first game night but the store fucking moved.

I went to another store yesterday, 30 or so people, they paired me with 5 newish people and we played casual games (boss monster, colt express, skull kings), everyone was really nice and the person I first introduced myself to even came from time to time to check if everything was ok.

Great experience/10
pic unrelated
>>
>>53404778
It's acceptable if the game is short and quick.
>>
Isn't 'worker placement game' ANY game with figurines / meeples?
>>
>>53406751
No. Worker placement games generally don't allow a node to be occupied by two players, and if it does it doesn't allow direct contest
>>
>>53406751
Worker placement
>Lords of Waterdeep
Putting your meeple/wood block/whatever the fuck occupies said space, only you are taking actions for it this turn

Not worker placement (in this case area control)
>World's Fair 1893
Everyone can put their cubes anywhere, whoever has the most in a space at the end of each round gets to take the action/score for it
>>
>>53406458
Nice one anon. I wish I could get over my anxieties and do the same.

I did manage to go and play AHTCG with some strangers and enjoyed myself but didn't go again because I'm a huge fucko
>>
>>53405918
Sure, which is why I asked if, besides event shenanigans, the Dark Knight can be touched by the opponent at all. The rules explanation only says to "declare an attack", unlike most other games that say "I attack your X with my Y for Z damage", so if I don't block with any of my champions, then they can just attack my HP directly while letting my champions live to attack on my turn.

>>53406458
Happy to hear you had fun dude. No snark here.
>>
>>53403793
>Caverna is built complete and balanced, Rosenberg doesn't want to cram in unnecessary expansions that could tilt the game
>Agriocal is unbalanced as fuck and expansions try to fix that/patch up holes in the content, even now they're making a new edition where they're trying to actually make things balanced

I think I C now which one is better, and which one is A trainwreck.
>>
>>53408133
False, Caverna is actually unbalanced as fuck, there's even a bug in it that can give you infinite resources.

And doubly false because they're now publishing a Caverna expansion that will break it even more.

Caverna is just not a serious game.
>>
>>53408524
Do you play games seriosuly ?
>>
>>53408561
Yes? Having formal rules and conditions is what differentiates boardgames from random make-pretend.
Thread posts: 321
Thread images: 57

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.