[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are Space Marines such dicks?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

I understand they are better than normal humans but I thought they were made to help protect humanity. They treat the crew of their ships like crap. They wipe out entire worlds from orbit. They are just big fucking jerks
>>
>>53353636
It depends on each chapter and their respective culture.
But as a rule of thumb, you have to understand that being a giant killing machine that is litteraly endoctrinated via hypnose and goes through torture to become that and THEN spending your whole life doing nothing but fighting and going to other places where you will fight might have to do with a wee bit of a social problem.
For all is flaws, ADB is, imo, the one that pictures Astartes the best, as the demigods that they should be. The fact that hr often used the 1st person helps a lot.
A formula from Grimalfus in Blood and Fire stuck with me: "We are not Man made weapon. We are weapon made Man."
But again it depends on each chapter and each individual. Chapters like the Salamanders, Lamenters or the Doom Eagles are very humane.
Their entire mentality is about being the most self-suffering fatalistic grim bastards possible, but all in the name of ensuring that mortal humans don't suffer like they do.

They all see themselves as being already dead and that suffering and pain is their lot in the universe and nothing will change that, so nothing can hold them back from fighting as hard as they can to protect the innocent and the faithful from feeling their suffering.

They're one of the only chapters that manages to be both very grimdark and very sympathetic about protecting regular humans, without those two sides of their mentality conflicting.

>All of creation suffers, young ones. Only in accepting our own mortality can we make a difference. Only in bearing the burden of our failures can we find the strength to go on. Only in detachment from glory, or honour, or jealousy... from life itself can we hope to spare others from grief.
>We are Doom Eagles. And we are dead already.
>>
>>53353636
Depends on the chapter. Space Wolves and Salamanders treat their crew and serfs like family (in the Salamanders' case they ARE family) and Ultramarines, Blood Angels and Lamenters take the "protector" part to heart. The Celestial Lions nearly got wiped out because they're trying to be decent.
>>
>>53353636
>Why are Space Marines such dicks
because they are still human
>>
File: bestmk.jpg (92KB, 464x599px) Image search: [Google]
bestmk.jpg
92KB, 464x599px
>>53353882
too deep
>>
>>53353636
>Why are Space Marines such dicks?
because they have to protect things more important than your feelings.
>>
>>53353636
As one of them put it, "We are not the Emperor's Angels of Mercy, we are His Avenging Angels of Death."

That said, I'm pretty sure no one outside of the traitor legions treats their chapter serfs badly.
>>
>>53353833
>Doom Eagles are very humane.

Pretty sure they're edgy as fuck.
>>
>>53353636
>why are warriors of grimdark spacemagic future not happy nice and kindergarten-teacher-esque

Anon...
>>
>>53355270
Not really. They're morbid for sure, but not edgy at all.
>>
>>53355700
>During the trials of selection, those few hopefuls who survive will only be chosen if they have conquered and accepted death during the trials, otherwise they will be left behind to perish in the face of the elements.

>Not edgy
>>
>>53356173
As far as 40k goes thats pretty tame

so no, not edgy
>>
>>53356173
>having standards is edgy
>>
>>53356173
If you read the short story you'd know how it goes. It's kids runnig into an active acid volcano, at the very end, there's some massive jump to do from the top of the mountain and at this point the kid is basically thinking "fuck it, I'm dead anyway" as the volcano is about to kill him.
Plenty of other stories have them reflecting on their own role as defenders of humanity. See pic related for the history of their founder.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.