[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has anyone homebrewed a blood sugar system for DND? One of my

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: slightly confused miyako.jpg (335KB, 454x558px) Image search: [Google]
slightly confused miyako.jpg
335KB, 454x558px
Has anyone homebrewed a blood sugar system for DND? One of my players wants to play as a type I diabetic and I'm not sure how to properly represent it
>>
Why does your friend want to play specifically as a type 1 diabetic in a medieval fantasy setting? That seems kind of really incongruous.

I guess if you really wanted to you could make it so the character has to periodically take some kind of medicine or they suffer damage/penalties to rolls.

But really, why the hell do they want to play a type 1 diabetic?
>>
>>53335751
it's much easier to roleplay a type I diabetic as usually they are in much better shape than the usually obese type II diabetics
>>
>>53335708
After con rounds of heavy exertion they make a fort save vs DC X. If they make it their body is fine. If they fail, they are sickened until they eat nutritious food. If they sustain the exertion past 2x con rounds, they have to make a DC x+5 roll or become Exhausted until they eat and rest a number of minutes equal to con.
>>
>>53335764
Being Type I in a preindustrial society is basically a death sentence. Heck it really sucks now, since good glucose control is pretty difficult for anybody, they are usually diagnosed as kids when people in general have poor self control and priorities and messing it up leads to hospital stays, possible death from ketoacidosis, and neuropathy including blindness, charcot feet and a non-working stomach. Have fun going into a coma after your blood sugar skyrockets following almost dying in a life or death fight.

Unless you are going full hansel and gretel witchhunters with it the character is fucked
>>
>>53335708
Depends if they have fantasy insulin. Do healing spells and health potions regulate blood glucose as well?
>>
Most people don't like to keep constant track of having enough food to keep from starving, let alone monitoring what they are eating as well as when they need to eat it. This is going to be way more work than necessary and if you take it more seriously than them and they die from it or lose a foot, they'll be pissed. If I were you I'd just make it a fluff pice ad only bring it up a little. Or just tell them no, diabetes is just quickly cured at birth by generous clerics.
>>
>>53335708
We have a diabetic player in my group and I can safely say he'd be fucking useless as an Adventurer, just because of how often he just nods off in game. I dunno if it's the insulin shots or our entire group's apparent insomnia, but we will lose him right tin the middle of the game and not get him back for hours at a time.
>>
>>53339482

To me, that sounds like something a preindustrial culture might interpret as the mark of a shaman, someone touched by the otherworld. There's perhaps a character concept there.
>>
>>53335708
Just do it like that hilarious Hansel and Gretel Witch Hunter movie. Have him need to take some magical injected stuff periodically. Just bullshit the numbers behind the scenes to make it work with the game. No need for hard numbers for that really.
>>
WIDE
>>
>>53335708
>They're born with type 1 diabetes
>Their parents adventured to find a cleric to cure said diabetes

Done.

It's a good backstory with lots of room for details and cool hooks.

But actually playing a diabetic in the high-magic worlds of D&D is silly.
>>
>>53335708

Find out exactly what they want from this. Why are they doing it?

"I just thought it would be cool to have some sort of disability/illness that's manageable"

Come up with a fantasy illness that requires regular treatments and attention but isn't going to ruin their adventure. Have it come up occasionally.

"I like [specific aspect of disease]" or "I want dietary restrictions"

Same shit just be sure to work in that exact thing.

Insulin wasn't invented until like... 100 years ago. I know this from Downton Abbey and I'm not googling to check if I'm right. Point is, you'd need a fantasy explanation anyway. Key thing is to confirm what they want and then probably let them go for it. Don't ever act like it's hugely inconvenient unless it's *really* a problem. I once played a character with a limp and the DM was like yea but your move speed is still 30. I played it as having half move speed because that's fucking stupid. He wanted it to be some character fluff with no consequence and then everyone was annoyed whenever I moved slowly (it wasn't a big deal, really! They were just full combat simulator and couldn't understand? ugh) My point isn't that I was right they were wrong- it's that we weren't on the same page and *that* is the problem.
>>
>>53340105
Pretty rare to be born with it actually. You usually get it either 3-6 years old or early teen years. Not genetic either, it's an auto-immune response to an outside trigger, such as an infection.
>>
>>53340307
You got the point. Either way, you don't just live with it in the realms of D&D.
>>
>>53335708
tell him yes, then have an npc cure his disease with a restoration spell.
>>
File: fuck this shit lich.jpg (68KB, 620x470px) Image search: [Google]
fuck this shit lich.jpg
68KB, 620x470px
>>53335708
I'm not sure if this thread is trolling or a time portal to the 90's
>>
Does GURPS have rules for being diabetic?
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.