[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Things that make you drop a game instantly

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 315
Thread images: 37

File: Dix1I8i.gif (596KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
Dix1I8i.gif
596KB, 500x500px
>"the rules are fast and light so they stay out of the way of the story instead of slowing it down"

Is there any surer sign a game will be shit, than this?
>>
>the dm says "I'm kind of a rules lawyer"
>>
When the DM brags about how he likes making paladins fall.

Or if the DM wears the Fedora of shame.

Or a player is has a stupid blue haircut and problem glasses.
>>
>fast and tactically deep to play

you can have one or another
>>
When the GM is referred to as the DM.
>>
>>53312482
>this campaign will take place in one large city

>>53312693
>being a systemfag
>>
>>53312936
>being a systemfag
Just plain old statistics.
>>
File: wod-intro.jpg (461KB, 732x950px) Image search: [Google]
wod-intro.jpg
461KB, 732x950px
>>53312482
When the first thing I see in the core book is basically a little bedtime story about one specific person in one specific situation to "set the mood", instead of an overview of the setting as a whole.
I know fluff is important but please, start from the top. Give me the hard facts that every player in this setting most likely needs to know.
I don't even dislike WoD in terms of mechanics, I'm just saying the book takes too long to get to the point.
>>
>The GM is a shut in, autistic enough to post in "red flag" threads unironically.
>>
>>53312482
>male player with lesbian character
>>
>>53312482
>Alignments
The moment that alignments come into play as a mechanic, there WILL be an argument once there's a cognitive dissonance between what the DM believes is X and what the player believes is X, especially when people don't treat objective alignment as an objective measurement of shit.
>Encounters are balanced around our level.
Yes Steve, I know you played vidya and don't want to gib us at level 3 but if we walk into a dragon's cave looking for trouble, don't go easy on us just because you don't want the adult dragon to cause a TPK.
>GM cracks open the rulebook more than thrice and spends more than five minutes looking for a rule.
I understand going for consistency but for fuck's sake man, do you know how soft my boner gets when we're in the middle of combat and we have to waste time waiting for you to either find a rule or give up and give us a ruling anyways? Also >>53312482 can eat a dick, he's obviously never been in a game where this shit happens.
>>
>>53313457
I have though. I am talking about systems, not actual campaigns.
>>
File: 1489030648700.gif (2MB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1489030648700.gif
2MB, 480x360px
>humans only
>>
>>53317300
>wanting to play a gnome in a CoC campaign.
>>
>>53312936
>>this campaign will take place in one large city
I've actually seen this one done well.
>>
>>53312482
>GM loves watching PvP

>inexperienced GM
>has multiple pages of houserules
>okay let's hear him out here, there are some things that could be-
>full of knee-jerk reactions to non-issues
>nope.jpg

>less than 30 years of age
>describes himself as old-school

>we need a sorceror
>the last sorceror quit
>no-one in the group directly tells you why
>>
File: COOKIEMONSTER.png (41KB, 150x146px) Image search: [Google]
COOKIEMONSTER.png
41KB, 150x146px
>>53317433
>mfw the third one happened to me
>>
>>53317300
You don't want to play L5R or 7th Sea. Your loss cupcake.
>>
>>53312482
>"I'm running a low fantasy campaign setting of my own design."
>"I have some custom races/classes available."
>In order from merely intolerable to BY FIRE BE PURGED: 3.5/Pathfinder/GURPS/WoD (any except Vampire, the more obscure the worse it will be)/BESM/d20 Modern
>"Some of the other players have earned some bonus XP for side RP sessions."
>>
>>53313457
>Encounters are balanced around our level
>red flag
I hate this meme.
>>
>>53317579
>GURPS
>a sure sign of a shit game
How? I get the other ones (except you're totally wrong about WoD, Vampire is the absolute biggest red flag system for that): 3.PF and d20M are garbage rules, BESM attracts weebs, WoD attracts edgefags and Tumblr.
>>
>It's a classic old-school dungeon delving adventure with a great ruleset that improves on 2ed!
No thanks grandpa, I don't really like roguelikes and going on verb hunts.
>>
>>53312648
My GM.....he goddamn loves making Paladins fall. And he's a massive weeaboo. Says he can't love 3-D because 2-D is the only thing he can fall in love with. And he's memorized Slayers and Sailor Moon, for some goddamn reason. AND he's a rule lawyer.
>>
>>53312482
I don't get what is so bad about this. If literally every perceivable action in the pnp has rules and is listed in the rulebook, it isn't really a roleplaying game anymore.
>>
>>53317739
>it isn't really a roleplaying game anymore.
How?
>>
>>53317746
It just devolves into min/maxing and saying "my character will perform action y, as per the rule book".
>>
>>53317579
>I have some custom races/classes available
Yes god forbid that the GM have a healthy imagination.

Hell at least I would actually look them over to see that they do and what they are about before rendering judgement.

You sound like you've got a serious case of stick-up-ass.
>>
>>53317614
I have never been in a game with balanced encounters that didn't devolve into a railroaded affair where everyone could afford to roll dice with no thought and still win due to superior DPR.

It's like playing something like Bayonetta on easy mode; why even develop a setting at all if we're only going to be traveling in a straight line with minor speedbumps littering the path until we reach whatever end goal you had planned for the finale?
>>
>>53317764
Sounds like you've got shitty players, m8.
>>
>>53317809
>I have never been in a game with balanced encounters that didn't devolve into a railroaded affair where everyone could afford to roll dice with no thought and still win due to superior DPR.
that doesn't sound like they were all that balanced of encounters to begin with.
>>
>>53317739
Technically, a lack of rules is less of a game than more rules. If we define a game as an objective oriented activity with a set mechanism to achieve that objective, lessening rules makes achieving that objective harder or more free form. At which point it no longer becomes a game but more of make pretend session. Rules are what prevent players from going full
>I teleport behind you
>Too bad, that was a hologram.
>I knew that which is why I secretly implanted a tracking device on you to find out where the real you is.

And so on.
>>
>>53317809
That's awfully shitty, anon. I like to balance encounters out so that characters can and will die unless the players have good tactics or roll damn well.
>>
File: why1.png (352KB, 288x501px) Image search: [Google]
why1.png
352KB, 288x501px
>>53317300
>not having human as the only race

I am so sick of these fucking niggers who think they are allowed to play whatever they want in my campaigns. No, your shitty tengu is not allowed. No, your ratfolk is not allowed. No, your catfolk is not allowed. No, your tiefling is not allowed: that is a literal fucking demonspawn. Why the fuck would that be allowed in any campaign, let alone this one? No, you cannot play a drow. You will be shot on sight on the surface. Half these fuckers don't even read Drizz't so they have no excuse for wanting to play a drow, besides "lol it's different." Fuck different. Here's the thing: your race is the most boring fucking part of your character. Unless you do something interesting with it (which 90% of these stupid cunts don't do), then you are just weighing down the game. When you have a thri-keen, some homebrew furry shit, a tiefling and some fuck who wants to play kender, you know what? Fuck this. I made a setting that actually feels somewhat like the real world because it doesn't have 90 different races running around like it's motherfucking Mos Eisley cantina. It's not my fault that YOU are a bad roleplayer who can't be satisfied playing something out of the core book. Create an interesting character, and you can play as a human for the rest of your RPG career. I had groups that were entirely human yet they had personalities that seemed like real people. But no, no one wants to lump in 30 homebrew races plus 60 official wizards of the coast crapshit races they pump out like chocolate because they know it will keep people entertained and requires zero effort on their part. No DM worth shit wants to spend hours and hours putting that in his world. Play. A. Fucking. Human. You need to EARN the privilege of playing another race, by proving you can competently play a normal character first. You don't get the big boy toys until your prove you can be responsible for them.
>>
>>53317836
yep, min/maxers gotta min/max.

even had one try to do it in my AoR campaign. Boy did he learn fast how little it does for you...

Quit the game not long after learning that hard lesson.
>>
>>53317836
Not really though. People will take the lazy route and treat it more of as an video game. DnD and it's lot are especially bad at this, because rolls represent such tiny actions which means that when describing what you do you can just say "I hit" "I hit "I hit" "I hit".

>>53317851
Well, yeah. Having rules is important, but it doesn't have to be so tedious.
Also the GM (or whatever) is there to stop that.
>>
>>53317883
>People will take the lazy route and treat it more of as an video game.
As I said, shitty players.
>>
>>53317853
Well then, fuck you too.
>>
>>53317900
>As I said, shitty players.
And again I say, when given the option, most people will take the lazy route.
>>
>>53317928
Nigger listen. If people are doing that, they are not good players. If you are letting them do that, you are not a good GM.
>>
>>53317853
You could just say "I don't like thing and won't change my mind" instead
>>
>>53317849
Think about it like this mate, if both sides of the encounter can survive...three hits before dying, it doesn't really matter how much thought you put into it because the aim of the game at that point is hitting them three times before they hit you three times.
>>53317852
That's not a balanced encounter though, that's you designing an encounter where the bad guys clearly have an advantage though.

What I'm talking about is campaigns where every encounter fought is against a group that's always roughly as strong as the party is and you never feel like you're getting any stronger because you always fight people that have a 50/50 shot of taking you out, regardless of how many levels you earn or whatever tactics you employ.
>>
>>53317872
Storytime?
>>
>>53317928
>And again I say, when given the option, most people will take the lazy route.
except that they don't, just the lazy ones, and they are in the minority. That they are in the minority is why dealing with them is often a noteworthy experience and why we dedicate threads on /tg/ to talking about them; because they represent an anomaly in our usual gaming experience.
>>
>>53317853
I'm sorry, have you considered not playing games with people? Clearly they disturb you.
Alternatively, perhaps, just perhaps, you could learn how to be a decent GM and learn some goddamn flexibility. Or do you think a good game table has a large pair of rails running through the middle?
>>
File: i disagree with you.jpg (341KB, 777x428px) Image search: [Google]
i disagree with you.jpg
341KB, 777x428px
>>53312482
>"the rules are fast and light so they stay out of the way of the story instead of slowing it down"
The only bit of this that I could possibly be leery about this is the mention of "the story", which could possibly indicate that the GM is trying to railroad folks through his pre-written novel. Then again, he could just be using "the story" to indicate the progression of events in the game. Other than that possible concern, I'm all in for this. If I want to play a tactical war game, then I'll just go play a war game. RPGs should be immersing yourself in the reality and playing out what your character does, not choosing and executing tactical options off of a list. Sure, it's still a game, and there are mechanically better options you can choose, but it's better to role-play than roll-play.
>>
>>53317333
You know I never thought about playing as a dwarf in Chtulhu campaign. Now I desperately want to do that.
>>
>>53312482
Yes there are surer signs
>d20
>pbta
>>
File: 1491466484381.png (56KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1491466484381.png
56KB, 500x500px
>>53312482
>>
>>53312482
>the premise of the system conflicts with my preferences
>>
>>53317941
>>53317999
Yeah, sure whatever. Have fun arguing about the proper rules for sitting down on a chair for 40 minutes. Having an extremely rules heavy role playing game only impedes the role playing.
>>
>>53317941
>>53317999
Study some game design then talk. Most people will exploit whatever the best cost/effective option they find no matter how boring it is. And to avoid that you have to train them, avoid said options en the game or make so that options are actually fun to use, because it is basic human behavior and you can't get rid of it so easily.
>>
>>53318101
>having to resort to throwing strawmen around
As much as rules-light cultists may not want to believe it, it is in fact possible to roleplay with rules present.
>>
>>53318101
>Have fun arguing about the proper rules for sitting down on a chair for 40 minutes.
That only really happens when the rules are designed in a way that uses vague language for almost everything that a PC could ever hope to accomplish within the context of the system.
>>
>>53318068

jeez, or a whole all-dwarf undermountain CoC-style campaign, oof

*starts scribbling notes*
>>
>>53318166
>As much as rules-light cultists may not want to believe it, it is in fact possible to roleplay with rules present.
There's a rather significant difference between rules-light and no rules. You know what the difference is? The presence of rules.
>>
>>53318166
>everything I do is both completely by whim, of no consequence, and completely disposable

funny thing is we already knew
>>
File: &kekles.png (95KB, 292x257px) Image search: [Google]
&kekles.png
95KB, 292x257px
>>53317557
>implying you can call those disgusting Unicorn gaijin "human"

top raff
>>
>>53318259
What in the fuck are you on about?
>>
>>53318274
Your disdain for rules-light proponents indicates an obsession with rules-laden play which is, at best, as disposable as statistically driven rules are, and looked at more critically, as disposable and trash as you are. Do you need me to make you a crayon drawing? Or do you need to take an intelligence roll for comprehension?
>>
>>53318322
I think you may have invented something entirely composed of impotent rage.
>>
>>53318332
You don't have to feign ignorance, you sell it pretty believably on your own.
>>
>>53317983
not all that much of a story.
> That guy is playing a Heavy/Trader Gank because the GM told him he couldn't outright play a "kill bot"
> guy pulls a fast one on the GM to get him like a 100,000 credits
> *gives* 1/3rd of it to one PC who proceeds to use it to upgrade the Hyperdrive on party ship.
> Gets all this gear and cybernetics to min/max his character and (he thinks) prevent the GM from taking his "toys" away.
> Next adventure arc they land in the middle of an enemy base with quote "a company of B1 Battle Droids" coming to attack the intruders.
> Guy, presumably thinking along the lines of someone with a min/maxed 3./PF might, declares that he will "distract them"
> GM stresses that a battle droid company is 56 droids.
> Doesn't seem bothered at all
> Unleashes a hail of blaster bolts onto the company
> Killing a whopping 8 droids from 2 squads
> Being the only valid target, the remaining droids fire on Guy.
> All of them
> ALL OF THEM
> Pretty sure his min/maxing is the only reason he survived that single salvo.
> But he's at 1 wound left.
> Gets healed by Jedi #2
> Runs back into ship
> Tries to fire ship weapons at the mobs
> While complaining that the GM made them mobs of eight rather than his usual mobs of 4
> Then complains about how hard it is to hit a mob of droids @ silhouette 1, with weapons on a silhouette 5 ship.
> Then tries to use the ship itself to run over the mobs of droids
> Despite not having any ranks in piloting (space). He's lucky that the worse he did was take-out the ship's ventral weapon.

1/2
>>
>>53318363

> Next session,
> decides to stay on the ship rather than join the rest of the party in infiltrating the enemy base.
> Rest of party is doing shit.
> apparently he's moved the ship to high orbit so he's effectively not participating.
> after 1 hour (in-game) he tries to leave the system entirely (the party ship was the only working ship with a hyperdrive in that entire system as far as the party knew).
> GM says the npc crew openly objects to abandoning 3/4 of the command crew.
> says he's doing it anyway
> GM tells him that he can't because the crew sabotaged their own hyperdrive to stop him.
> Gets super-salty about it but decides to instead fly the ship down and rescue one of the other PCs
> Few days later GM tells the other players that Guy quit. Says its due to having too much else going on but no one believes that.
> No one except GM is upset by this.
>>
>>53318349
You need to stop taking the drugs, anon, they're making you see things.
>>
File: For (You).png (65KB, 286x308px) Image search: [Google]
For (You).png
65KB, 286x308px
>>53317853
>>
>>53318395
Fuck off dice clutcher.
>>
>>53318409
You seem really upset over such little banter. Maybe you should go back to Gaia, where those dirty dice won't ever come near you?
>>
>>53317853
this
>>
>>53312482
>Story takes precedence over what characters do.

Fucking. Dropped.
>>
>>53317853

Personally I agree with you, man. I mean there's more than one way to play DnD, but some of those ways are objectively shittier ways.

My gaming group had a long standing policy against shit races like that. But then one campaign we started a new rule: homebrew races only. It actually was pretty cool, and lead to the integration of two of those races into our regular games.

It's not that catfolk are inherently shitty, it's that people who play catfolk are typically just mega retards
>>
>>53317905
>>53317943
>>53318033
>>53318396
It's a pasta.
>>
>>53318322
Look at the story game autist playing telepath with everyone Who disagrees with him!
Guess what? Your love for rules light games indicates you love the cock and wake up every day drooling a balanced adminixture between cum and saliva.
>>
File: 1494736277476.jpg (27KB, 540x302px) Image search: [Google]
1494736277476.jpg
27KB, 540x302px
>medieval (high) fantasy
>"combat is going to be fast and deadly"
>>
>>53318363
>>53318394
Like I said, it's not much of a story.
>>
>>53313366
i have done this too many times.
im a dude and I have no problem playing female characters, but in their sexuality they are always either lesbian or bi because I just cant roleplay someone who likes dudes
>>
>>53317853

gr8 b8 m8 i r8 8/8

also delicious pasta
>>
>Text only
>>
>gritty, low fantasy setting full of REALISM
>d&d
>>
>>53318698
>have no problem playing female characters
>cant roleplay someone who likes dudes
Nice one.
>>
>>53312482
So, Dungeon World.
>>
>>53318698
But if they're bi, that means they do like dudes.
>>
>>53318698
Most of my characters end up bi. I'm asexual so I figure I might as well give the DM as many options for romance as possible.
>>
File: strike-rpg.jpg (434KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
strike-rpg.jpg
434KB, 1024x768px
>>53312649
I accept your challenge!
>>
>>53317853
mmmmh, pasta...
>>
File: nope.gif (496KB, 500x255px) Image search: [Google]
nope.gif
496KB, 500x255px
>>53312482
Here are the absolutes shittiest
>It's a sandbox game
>It's a freeform game
>It's a game of political intrigue, like ASoIaF
>(Talking about a system for medium-high fantasy like D&D)It will be gritty and realistic
>It's a game similar to Berserk(the manga/anime)

Now that I think about it, most game that are shit say things like "It's a game like [insert TV show/book/anime/other game/media here]"

That and sandboxes. Sandboxes a shit. Hexcrawl rule.
>>
>>53312482
>"Playing this game is very easy." written on page 7
Page 7 out of 475 pages
I ain't time for that shit
>>
>>53317851
>If we define a game as an objective oriented activity with a set mechanism to achieve that objective
I don't though. In my opinion, you can either play to win or play to play.
If you want to play to win in RPG's, the players will minmax and the GM can just go 'rock falls, everyone dies, I win'.

>Rules are what prevent players from going full hurdur
Not really? You as a GM set a narrative of what is possible and impossible in the setting right? Then why can't your players do the same thing. It's not so hard really, I've played dungeon world and rarely find myself in a spot where the players go do dumb shit like that.
>>
>>53319110
You failed.
>>
>>53319524
Half the book is setting fluff, from the remaining half is gm tips, from the remaining quarter half are optional rules. That leaves 60 pages.
From here a third are common rules (20 pages) and the other 40 are devided between each class option so you just need to read the ones that describe the class (1 page per class at most) and the specific rules for the one you choose (may vary and most will be tables) leaving you with an average of 33 per player to read.
>>
>>53312693
this
>>
>>53312482
>is pathfinder
fucking dropped
>>
>>53319634
>the other 40 are devided between each class option
>having classes
Red flag. Dropped.
>>
>>53319634
I don't know about DnD but fantasy craft has more pages per player than that.
Then again I am a bit at fault for wanting to play a battlemage à la TES
>>
>>53319628
Nah.

I think I'm pretty good on both the "simple" and "tactical" fronts.
>>
>>53317623
>BESM attracts weebs
It's made to attract weebs. It's a simplified GURPS for weebs.
>>
>>53319718
Nope.
>>
File: 7b2.jpg (97KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
7b2.jpg
97KB, 640x640px
>>53312649

I dunno. Runequest once you understand the concept of Combat Maneuvers can be both. Your players just have to be familiar with the rules.
>>
>>53319727
Probably not fast enough for someone who only has time for single word replies I guess...
>>
>>53312482
Yeah: OP being in the game in any way
>>
>>53317853
>But no, no one wants to lump in 30 homebrew races plus 60 official wizards of the coast crapshit races they pump out like chocolate because they know it will keep people entertained and requires zero effort on their part
but, anon, that's american fantasy. that IS D&D. don't get me wrong, it's not my cup of tea either but I at least am aware of the fact that a lot of people out there play it differently.
>>
>>53312482
>you hit monsters for 5% of their HP per swing
>and monsters hit you back for 50% of yours no sweat
>but it's all okay because you're a TEAM
Because what I really want to do is watch the Fighter papercut an enemy to death.
>>
>>53319783
Nah.
>>
>>53319768
I'm trying to get into RQ6. My GM and I are so far the more knowledgeable of the group but we have one who never reads rules ever (he needs to be shown rather than does it himself), the other likes rule-lite settings/narrative driven systems like Dungeon World (much to my chagrin). I don't think it's going to work.
>>
>>53317905
>>53317943
>>53318033
Reminder that these people can't roleplay and need a snowflake "imaginative" furry bullshit to make their characters interesting
>>
>"This is a ROLEplaying game and not a ROLLplaying game!"
>"I hate ROLLPplayers, because I run a game that is about playing a ROLE!"

100% shit GM guaranteed or your money back.
>>
>>53319843
That would be funny.

But what do you think about white box combat encounters? Don't you think that they have no purpose and should be left away from a campaign?
>>
>>53320165
They have a purpose and that purpose is informing you of how the game's mechanics work before environmental factors and party resources are factored in.
>>
>>53317300
"Humans only because it's more realistic!"

>in a fantasy game.

I've never once had a 'human only game' that wasn't in a fandom (Song of Ice and Fire, Dark Heresy) or real world game that wasn't total shit. If somebody runs a DnD or Pathfinder with it, they're always the most autistic, no-fun-allowed, insufferable That Guys both in and out of game.
>>
>>53320222
>runs a DnD or Pathfinder
Found your problem.
>>
>>53320240
I've not played either in years. I just meant it as a shorthand for 'typical fantasy games'.

Not that you're wrong.
>>
>>53319110
Stop shilling Strike!

Why does /tg/ keep shilling Strike!?
>>
>>53317853
This nigga gets it
>>
>>53320283
I know, pasta is delicious right?
>>
>>53318206
Blizzard did it
>>
>>53312482
When the game ad says they're looking for a dm, not the other way around

When the game ad says they've had to replace a few people for reasons they never want to elaborate on

When the game ad is posted on /tg/
>>
>>53317579
>Some of the other players have earned some bonus XP for side RP sessions
>Player who autistically keeps track of the other players resources, exp and everything else
Burn in hell you fucking faggot.

As both a player and a GM, you have absolutely 0 fucking reasons to keep track of the other players character sheets. As a GM I will outright penalize faggots who does this, because you are breaking the flow of everything to be an autistic little shit, instead of just minding your own damn business.
>>
File: lmaoing.jpg (21KB, 130x184px) Image search: [Google]
lmaoing.jpg
21KB, 130x184px
>>53318578
>>53319357
>>53318727
>>53320293
>unironical patronage signaling on an anonymous board
>>
>>53312482

But that's what I'm looking for in a system.

If it isn't FATE, PbtA, or GUMSHOE, I'm not interested.
>>
>>53312482
>"I'm running a tense, political intrigue game with a focus on social roleplaying in my homebrew sci-fi setting, we're using D&D.

>>53312648
>When the DM brags about how he likes making paladins fall.
Valid red flag.

>>53313457
>>GM cracks open the rulebook more than thrice and spends more than five minutes looking for a rule.
Technically, OP said "will be shit" not "is", otherwise this would be valid.

>>53317433
>>inexperienced GM
>>has multiple pages of houserules
>>full of knee-jerk reactions to non-issues
Valid red flag.

>>53318560
>>Story takes precedence over what characters do.
Unbelievable red flag.

>>53320162
>>"I hate ROLLPplayers, because I run a game that is about playing a ROLE!"
Valid red flag if I ever heard a human being speak like that.

The rest of y'all's "Red Flags" are petty nonsense.
>>
>>53312482
>Enjoying stopping all RP every few minutes to consult a fucking tome about what shaped dice you need to roll to determine whether or not you successfully tie a knot

Yeah nah, you're a faggot.

>>53313457
+1 to everything you've put forward, really.
>>
>>53313156

WoD takes way too long to get to the fucking point. I tried reading it when I was a teenager because I was edgy and it took so long that I gave up.

D&D actually did the same thing, every corebook I've read, though that might have been me growing impatient and not remembering the basic phrase 'roll a twenty-sided polyhedron to do an action' anywhere in the first five pages. Seems simple but I can't remember any fucking system doing it (replace d20 for whatever dice).
>>
>>53320348
>Unbelievable red flag.

More like
>holy shit commies are invading everywhere!
>>
>>53320348
>y'all
World-record-sized red flag right there.
>>
>>53320384
Except if he's also Mary Poppins.
>>
>>53320348
>sandboxes can be good
Yeah. No.
>>
>>53312482
>"We're playing a modern fantasy campaign with horror elements kind of like The Secret World or Delta Green meets SCP."
>system is a shitty homebrew hack of Pathfinder

So many red flags in one place it's a fire hazard.
>>
>>53320407
The only good sandboxes are the ones that aren't sandboxes at all and the players only think they're playing one.
>>
>>53320427
Agreed.
>>
File: TracksInTheSandBox.png (67KB, 553x727px) Image search: [Google]
TracksInTheSandBox.png
67KB, 553x727px
>>53320368
I meant literally unbelievable, as in I don't believe that would be uttered. But if it were, it'd still be unbelievable.

>>53320384
>World-record-sized red flag right there.
Would you have preferred "yous guys's"?

>>53320427
>>53320438
>>53320407
>>sandboxes can be good
>Yeah. No.
There are more than one kind of sandbox.
>>
>>53320342
I'm not sure I would describe FATE as "fast and light". It's fairly crunchy, the difference is that most of the crunch is complicated mechanics to simulate a narrative instead of complicated mechanics to simulate physics/combat.

But yeah, generally: rules light > heavy. I don't want to wade through 50 pages of feats to build my character or search 8 different appendices to figure out how to throw a dude over a railing. Especially if this is my first time playing with a new GM or system.
>>
>>53320427
Don't know about that...

My players favourite game I've ever run for them, is a sandbox game they refuse to let die.

Fantasy setting where they are part of a colonization group into uncharted areas of the world. Basically drop them in an unfamiliar place, and let them investigate everything around them. They kept getting leads for things they should investigate, and at the point where I expected to stop the game, they pulled up a to-do list with 41 unresolved leads.

I just keep littering the place with additional places to go, additional things that would help the colonization effort, and problems that should be fixed, and they just keep going at it.

Might be a player bias though. They hate the concept of a BBEG, because it gives them a far too clear end game, and that is a bit too railroaded for them.
>>
>>53320467
>The Autoplay Sandbox
Nice to have a name for the concept, some of my favorite games to play and to run have been of this kind.

Does require a group with initiative, though.
>>
>>53312482
Nah, pretty much all my best games followed this rule. And I'm rating "best" in terms of the fun and satisfaction the players had.
>>53312936
>this campaign will take place in one large city
This. I don't really know why is that, but I have never seen or been in a city-centric campaign done right.
>>
>>53312482
>"today we play d&d"
>>
>>53320538
THIS
>>
I'm playing freeform right now and loving it.

But I had to grow to trust these guys first. I played with them in a gaming group for FIVE YEARS. I have total confidence in their commitment to a great shared experience.
>>
>>53312482
Furries
Underaged
Faggotry
>>
File: Critical Glitch.gif (1MB, 400x170px) Image search: [Google]
Critical Glitch.gif
1MB, 400x170px
>>53320686
>I'm playing freeform right now and loving it
>freeform
>and loving it
>>
>>53320705

So does this mean you're not interested in my Ironclaw/Little Fears crossover?
>>
>>53317433
I am a somwhat inexperienced GM, but most of my house rules involve expanding the equipment in 5e.

Would that be a red flag? To be fair all my current players are brand new, as of this campaign, save for my wife who played once before.
>>
>>53320822
There is absolutely nothing wrong with expanding equipment. If you start re-writing how rules work and what said equipment does, then yes.
>>
>>53320822
>I am a somwhat inexperienced GM, but most of my house rules involve expanding the equipment in 5e.
Well, if you don't have multiple pages of house rules and can discuss them without reacting poorly, I don't see any red flags-

>all my current players are brand new, as of this campaign, save for my wife
>my wife
I spoke too soon.
>>
>>53320721
In his defense, he did describe the one instance where it might be theoretically possible to freeform and not have it be a complete and utter shit show.
I don't personally see the point, but there it is.
>>
>>53320886
It is not really a game anymore.

Some people like the game aspect. Others love freeform for what it is - a storytelling device. It is like crafting a story together. You dont play a game, but rather you exclusively write a story exactly like you want it.

That can be good or bad depending on what you want from it. Most people I know who like freeform, don't actually like freeform, they just like being power gaming assholes. If they can be ridiculously more powerful than anybody else in thrash systems like PF/3.5, they'll do that as well. Freeform is just generally the safest way of making your superior special snowflake.
>>
>>53317853
You could just say that you won't bend your rules.
No need for rudeness.
>>
>>53320079
I mostly play as non-humans becuase it's cool.
>>
>>53312482
Complex and deep rules and setting hand-off by GM. With rules-light system you still have hope if GM is good and/or game is short.
>>
>>53320957
If you just want to be a snowflake you can do that in any system, just start at level 20 with unlimited perks (or substitute whatever you want here, take max points in everything for *world hacks, 70 skill points in cyberpunk, you get the idea)
>>
>>53317853
Yeah, too many retards who play fucking living stereotypes. Unfortunately, human only game is no panacea
>>
>>53312482
I have to admit that I'd be more than a little leery of a game if the session has already started and there are no dice to be seen anywhere.
>>
>>53318409
Where did the d20 touch you anon? It's okay, this is a safeplace.
>>
>>53319524
You can't read under 500 pages? Wew lad. Have you tried getting quicker at reading yet?
>>
>>53312482
What's wrong with rule-light games?
>>
>>53320359
NOT using dice to simulate how well your character performs in given, pivotal tasks. I never got that.
If you don't roll for, say, tying a knot... Then the only possible way you could ever mess that us in any way in game, is if your GM is a shitter and just decides to fiat it's loosening. This is directly malicious compared to having some sort of chance.
>>
>>53320822
>houserules for more equipment
That's not really so bad. I meant more along the lines of completely revamping the game you're playing without understanding how it plays first.

An exception would be for a modular game like GURPS or an OSR game where extensive houseruling is all but necessary as GMs are expected to basically kitbash a rules system together from existing pieces.
>>
>>53321325
You don't need to read 500 pages to play a tabletop rpg. In fact he best way to play is for just the GM know the rules, telling the players what to roll. It discourages metagaming and encourages putting yourself in your character's position.
>>
>>53321336
Well I've played in some free form games online. And let me tell you, it got stupid real fast, so I personally prefer to stay the fuck away from anything that even smells of free-form.
>>
>All those people replying to HFY pasta
Is summer in already?
>>
>>53321352
No, fuck that, that's a one way ticket to running facefirst into situations where the rules contradict common sense.
>>
>>53321354
>Here, grab my unrelated personal experience
Still doesn't answer the question, which was rhetorical by the way
>>
>>53321362
Not him, but would you care to explain us the bullshit claim you've just made?
Not knowing the game rules and acting by common sense is the best situation imaginable. Your players THINK AND ROLEPLAY rather than calculate their percentage chance of pulling something.
>>
>>53321374
>Still doesn't answer the question,
yes it does, you just need to pay closer attention.
>>
>>53312482
>describes game as "fairly realistic", "realism with magic" or any variation of that
>bonus points if "gritty" is there somewhere
>>
>>53321354
>rules-light
>freeform
Nigga, that's a huge fucking difference.
>>
>>53321464

>>53321354
>I personally prefer to stay the fuck away from anything that even smells of free-form.
Mibba pls.
>>
>>53321469
Rules-light doesn't smell of freeform because it literally isn't freeform, you damn wobba.

Although we may have different interpretations of this. Mine-
>Rules-heavy
Contains detailed rules on how to do every conceivable thing reasonable within the setting (or lack of). tries to explain everything.
>Rules-light
Usually a system more focused on one/few things, contains basic explanation of the main mechanic and instructions on how to fit this mechanic into what you want your game to be.
>Freeform
Little or no random element, focus on story, maybe some "bennies" system to give character spotlight.
>>
>>53321362
That doesn't make any sense. How the players can run into rules conflicting with common sense, when they don't know the rules to begin with?
>>
>>53317853
This. Haters gonna try to say this isnt patrician, but mono-race parties are just more cohesive.
>>
File: 1494808777004.png (339KB, 875x411px) Image search: [Google]
1494808777004.png
339KB, 875x411px
>>53312482
>playing a high-mortality campaign
>system has crazy RNG
>>
>>53319098
>I'm asexual
kys
>>
>>53321325
500 pages (if you are talking about rules alone) are a ridiculous bloat of rules.

there are so many things that can be solved in a reasonable manner through GM decision that you dont need to put a rule into the book for everything
>>
>>53321719
gendershaming's not cool
>>
>>53321719
No need, his lineage will terminate itself naturally.
>>
>>53321739
Sexual orientation is not a gender
>>
>>53312611
>The DM says "I'm God and my word is law"
>>
>>53321732
I don't think anything has 500 pages of rules alone. Most 500-page rulebooks include a good chunk of setting/fluff stuff as well.
>>
>GM "reads" the rules from the manual
>Inconsistences
>Sometimes sounds like he's coming up with stuff as he moves along
>"Can I check?"
>"No"
>>
>>53321739
>made up bs to justify you're own made up bs to make yourself feel better
You can kys too, loser
>>
>>53312649
If go can do it, so can your RPG. I mean, placing rocks to encircle your enemy is pretty easy to figure out, but it still haa a bunch of tactics I don't understand.
>>
>>53321745
ProTip: there are only 2 genders
>>
File: forks_and_spoons.png (104KB, 682x425px) Image search: [Google]
forks_and_spoons.png
104KB, 682x425px
>>53321804
Originally, yes...
>>
>AS WAS FOR TOOOOOLD IN THE PROPHECY
>it happens

d r o p p e d
>>
>>53320822
I'd rather call that homebrew, not houseroules
>>
>>53321844
You're not dumping on all prophecies, just ones that happen.
Why do you like shit prophecies that don't come to pass?

It has been fortold that you will reply to this post with frogposting.
>>
>>53319072
Yeah pretty much.
>>
>>53321914
Ketchup.
Catsup.
>>
>>53321804
I know, fluidgender and demigender
>>
>>53317809
>bayonetta on easy
>Why even make such a railroad easy setting

"Because sometimes at the end of a shitty day you just wanna feel like a god damn super hero"
>>
>>53313366
Only time it worked for us was in a James Bond game we played. The player tried to seduce a henchwoman and fumble his rolls enough that he was the one who fell for her and betrayed MI6 lol
>>
>>53321844
One of my characters was the chosen one, foretold by an ancient prophecy to be the savior of humanity, yaddayadda. To be created my father had to marry an exotic woman from a far land in a certain moon, etc

Turned out that seers didn't took into account the precesion movement of the planet and fucked up the calculations by 21 years (my char started the game with 21 years), this made one of the players hit white mad because he overuses the chosen one last of his kind trope.

I made my character into a badass normal who hates the idea of destiny or any prewritten outcome.
>>
>>53322027
You can't feel like a "big damn superhero" while doing the equivalent of beating up children anon. Besides, if the game is easy, it's generally because of the GM, not through any part of the player(s) involved.
>>
>>53322070
>with 21 years

fuck off, yuro
>>
Yes, when they allow "that guy" at the table. The one who laways play the same character and always try to break the game by doing weird things at weird times (mostly trying to kill NPCs with info or set fire to things for fun).
>>
>>53312482
Why are black women so unattractive?
>>
>>53322095
Why are you?
>>
File: you tried.jpg (19KB, 500x475px) Image search: [Google]
you tried.jpg
19KB, 500x475px
>>53322148
>>
>>53322095
A combination of inferior genes and bad social circumstances
>>
>>53322095
Their faces are not neotenic enough.
>>
>>53321449
So you are saying it's impossible to play "fairy realistic" games like Twilight 2000, that come with pretty grim and "gritty" setting, but still can't pass as fully realistic, as many logistical issues and semi-related topography issues (players and GMs usually being unfamiliar with the real terrain of the places they are taking their game, not to mention knowing local customs and quirks) are still neglected for fun and giggles instead?
>>
>>53317853
Well said.
>>
>>53313156
The table of contents is there for a reason, just skip to the rules/fluff you actually care about.
Although they definitely could get by with fewer pages of intro.
>>
ITT: Bunch of autists sperging about games they never get in anyway.
>>
File: 1235144644656.jpg (11KB, 265x297px) Image search: [Google]
1235144644656.jpg
11KB, 265x297px
>>53312482
>DM's girlfriend is in the game
>DM's boyfriend is in the game
>>
>>53322078
>You can't feel like a "big damn superhero" while doing the equivalent of beating up children anon

That's basically all most superheroes actually do. Beat down people vastly weaker than them.
>>
>>53321696
>Dungeon Meshi x Berserk

God has run out of mercy.
>>
>>53317853
This. Playing non-human is just a signal that you are not creative enough to flesh out a character.
>>
>>53325260
Glad someone agrees with me.
>>
>>53317853
http://vocaroo.com/i/s1NLVOVTTYAE
>>
>>53320384
Y'all objectively sounds better. How's it feel to be the outlier, faggot?
>>
>>53321352
I never implied that you needed that many to be a good system. I was merely laughing at your inability or unwillingness to read a relatively small number of pages.
>>
>>53321719
Because apparently not wanting to bone is reason to no exist. Lol, what a basic level bitch you are. Topshelf lol.
>>
>>53321775
Someones a salty lil bitch :3 haha I bet you're a weak minded, flabby ball of lard you sexless shitheel.
>>
>>53325110
>at the same time
>>
>>53325784
>he is perfectly happy to know that his dynasty will end with him.
How do your parents/Grandparents feel?
>>
>>53312482
>>"the rules are fast and light so they stay out of the way of the story instead of slowing it down"
Sounds pretty good.

>>53312611
>the dm says "I'm kind of a rules lawyer"
Eh. Not so bad.

>>53312648
What's wrong with that?

>Or if the DM wears the Fedora of shame.
I mean, it's a nerd hobby.

>Or a player is has a stupid blue haircut and problem glasses.
Again, above.

I feel like this thread isn't very good so I'm going to stop reading here. Have a good day, everyone.
>>
>>53325477
You literally repeated what he said in a silly voice. You're the fucking spongebob meme.
>>
File: icy_golf.gif (1MB, 281x300px) Image search: [Google]
icy_golf.gif
1MB, 281x300px
>>53312482

>We don't have a fixed day, we play when it's convenient for everyone.

Roleplaying games require commitment. If neither the players nor the GM are willing to commit then the game is pretty much doomed.
>>
>>53325916
>>When the DM brags about how he likes making paladins fall.
>What's wrong with that?
I physically recoiled in disgust
>>
>>53312482

Levelling up.

>unless it's really 2 thing to check out
>>
>>53325110
>>53325848
I've legit been in that game. Needless to say, I didn't stay long.
>>
>>53322845
I once played a White Wolf RPG. I think it was called Adventure.

The first half of the book was comics happening in the setting. The contents page came after them.

So my red flag is:
> When the GM gives you a contents page in a separate file along with a copy of the rulebook.
>>
>>53321745
Not with that attitude.
>>
>>53320867
A wife is not a girlfriend, anon. Once it's at that stage you don't need to suck up anymore
>>
>>53325916
Reddit has boards for RPGs.
>>
>>53312482
This is actually one of the draws to OSR games although you are probably memeing about "story games" which are generally shit because they take so little effort to make
>>
File: Telling the GM he's cheating.jpg (37KB, 600x480px) Image search: [Google]
Telling the GM he's cheating.jpg
37KB, 600x480px
>>53326310
>>
>>53318687
I enjoyed it. I say this all the time, there are no amount of stats that will save you from being a dumbass.
>>
>>53326310
>A wife is not a girlfriend, anon. Once it's at that stage you don't need to suck up anymore
I can see why you'd think so, but if you had ever spoken to a woman, you might have an idea how wrong you are.
>>
>>53325874
Why would they give a shit? Literally, nothing matters and soon they will be dead--what difference does lineage make to dead people? None.
>>
>>53320332
I think this is more about a GM that does this shit as a seperate session with only those players.
If every player gets those its alright, but I will leave if its obvious the GM favours some players with blatant extra stuff.
>>
>>53326684
Why are you beta cucks sucking up to women ? They're worthless entities.

Bitches ain't shit but hoes and tricks.
>>
>>53317714

.....is he amazing at something else? are you just desperate for a group?
>>
A skill list with more than 8 or so entries.
>>
File: thrash.jpg (64KB, 370x503px) Image search: [Google]
thrash.jpg
64KB, 370x503px
the game is just MtG with models
>>
>>53317579
I'll agree except the wod thing. Everyone knows hunter is the patrician choice of system
>>
>>53317853
wew
>>
>DM wants to """play test""" his new homebrew
>DM wants to run a system he doesn't have player experience in
>DM wants to play on weeknights
>>
>>53327995
Those aren't skills, anon, those are attributes.
>>
>>53328856
>>DM wants to run a system he doesn't have player experience in
How else do people learn new systems, if no one takes that first step?
Are you so entitled that you don't want to be the one who has to deal with that?
>>
>>53325110
>is actually that guy
>doesn't give GF special privileges because we both know it'd ruin it because low expectations and it makes things boring as fuck and lame
>I find fucking with her during the game to be more entertaining
>She plays a male dragonborn wizard
>Everyone is gay for this wizard for some reason
>EVERYONE

Apart from that meme, It does violate my GM principles to favourate a player over everyone else, Lotta people in my group tend to do knockout performances in my game, even if I'm not a fan of their character.
>>
File: 06XJL57.gif (959KB, 300x201px) Image search: [Google]
06XJL57.gif
959KB, 300x201px
>>53317853
>I made a setting that actually feels somewhat like the real world because it doesn't have 90 different races running around like it's motherfucking Mos Eisley cantina.
>Play. A. Fucking. Human. You need to EARN the privilege of playing another race, by proving you can competently play a normal character first. You don't get the big boy toys until your prove you can be responsible for them.

actually, had you edited your post to this, you would have a top-quality post.

instead, you triggered the niggherd
>>
File: 1432083344181.png (714KB, 500x809px) Image search: [Google]
1432083344181.png
714KB, 500x809px
>abstract wealth
>>
>>53319480
Sounds like you've had GM's who are shit at running potentially awesome campaigns
>>
>>53312648
The best way to deal with "you fall as a paladin" DM's is to continue to do exactly the same thing afterward, minus the paladin skills.

You may be a subpar fighter, but most fighters only need power attack to stay competitive in the average slogfest.

So just take as many feats as you can, and continue being a beacon of good and rightness in the world, regardless of what the gods or your DM say.
>>
>>53320332
I have asked to look at character sheets a few times, but thats because they were players that were having difficulties with this that or the other that their class shouldn't have been. 3.5 just so i don't get called out for it, but it was my first game and system so shush.

The bard complained because he didn't get any neat loot or items, so i suggested looking into specific bard weapons like crystal echoblade. I looked over his spell selection a bit because he was complaining about doing nothing in combat but playing his lute and casting haste why even play a bard at that point? and i think he got some pretty good insight into his class solely through our debate on the bard spell list and its relative usefulness. I didn't tell him outright to take anything, but just threw out some ways certain spells could be used. dude still doesn't believe me that grease is OP.

Another time, we had a rogue that was bad at just about everything but picking locks. So i went over his sheet, looked at his skills, told him to search literally everything, told him to tumble a shitload, all that fine stuff. poor bastard didn't even know about penetrating strike.

If its to HELP another player, i think its okay. Just don't be domineering either.
>>
>>53320492
A BBEG menace is just another checkbox to be ticked off.

Afterward, there will be a lot of work to do, fixing whatever mayhem he did manage to cause.
>>
>>53320391
my daddy
>>
>>53320222
Absolutely agreed.
>>
>>53317433
>>less than 30 years of age
>>describes himself as old-school

Fuck you we are going to the keep on the borderlands and we are going to enjoy it.
>>
>>53317853
I'm playing a catfolk fighter with a Spanish accent.

Try and stop me.
>>
>>53312482
>BBEG
>>
>>53328856
What the fuck is wrong with weeknights? Im off Wednesday and Thursday. We play at my house, why the fuck would i want to play on Saturday or Sunday?
Grow up adult work scheduals are real
>>
>>53325110
>GM: "You're at level 3 so 1000gp or 1 magic item plus class gear
>Me: "Ok"
>GM's girlfriend comes around
>Catfolk Rogue with a +2 GUN and magic armor
>GM allows it
>>
>>53328856
I'm curious as how you expect new games to ever be played? Only at conventions where they are introduced and then only run by people who played at the con games, and after that those players get to run it....?

That's some weird apostolic succession way of getting to GM a new game. Might as well not sell it in stores or even make money off of it at that point.
>>
For online games

>Character description and history is no more than a picture
>A player is a no show at the very first session, GM allows it
>>
>>53312482
In my experience, a bigger red flag is the opposite of that. Because when your game is run by someone who keeps fellating the rules you just know he's the sort of mentalist who believes D&D 3e was a fantasy world simulation engine and he's going to strangle the game by sticking to the books like a barnacle and start introducing homebrew to expand and fine tune the system to cover literally everything, and the only ones still thriving will be the rules lawyers.
>>
File: 1494768267564.png (116KB, 325x308px) Image search: [Google]
1494768267564.png
116KB, 325x308px
>>53312482
>Showcasing D&D5E to bring in newbies for Board Games Club
>New player
>Only played D&D5E
>Player bought expensive dice for show
>Has someone else make their characters for them, never done a character sheet in their life
>Writes down a Female Half-Elf Rogue [Background :Urchin (Prostitute)]
>As GM, I didn't care about saying no, since it was a one-shot
>Yes, they were female. She traded sexual favours with her boyfriend for character building.
>mfw I listen to her talk about this

Such is the life of a GM.
>>
File: Zeryani head scetch.jpg (392KB, 1500x1360px) Image search: [Google]
Zeryani head scetch.jpg
392KB, 1500x1360px
>>53320222
>Human only REEEEEEEE!

Fine. I'm making an 8 foot tall bleached white female human warlock scarred to hell and back. Have fun with that
>>
>>53319768
Yeah RuneQuest is fast and tactical combat. It only slows down when learning a new chunk of the combat rules, so like when you start and then when you push your players and they realize they need more comber effects than "choose location" to survive.

>>53319861
The DW fan should love Mythras/RQ6. Passions >> Bonds, and the actual game breaks down skills in such a way that a party can really feel like a rag-tag group with a good arc.

I would give it a try and avoid combat at first unless they pick fights. Maybe set the game in the modern world and show how the skill system works, something where the characters want to avoid combat and if they get into it their characters know to fear the danger.
>>
>>53312648

I had one who did this. Still plays in our group. Funny thing is, whenever he GM'd nobody bothered to roll a Paladin.
>>
>>53312482
>oldschool
GM draws the dungeon map as we explore. I've seen this enough times to know this means full improvisation and that means the dungeon will turn into shit in no time

>other
Players provide more than half a page of backstory

Players don't provide any backstory at all

More than one player has a mindset of "But in Game X...", while we are playing Game Y

More than one player calculating chances of winning and success rather than roll- and role-playing

HFY party

Furfag party

Role-lawyer party
>>
File: that's kind of hot.png (86KB, 542x438px) Image search: [Google]
that's kind of hot.png
86KB, 542x438px
>>53334400
>>
>>53332184
I can't because you aren't playing in my game. However I do now have no respect for you.

>>53333260
>Grow up adult work scheduals are real
If you work weekends, you don't have an "adult work schedule," you have a kid's job at dunkin donuts. Get a real job and learn to spell schedule, although those two goals might be symptoms of the same problem with you.
>>
>>53338884
>only retail is open on weekends
I don't know what that guy does, but considering he has two fixed days off it's probably not dunkin donuts. Places like that are way to volatile to give kids a fixed schedule. He's more likely a manager (but not the GM) at a retail or service location, or a skilled or semi-skilled shift worker.
>>
>>53332183
lol. Love me some good ole redbox. Great starter system.
>>
>>53325260
>non-humans can't be fleshed out!
>>
File: HMF rant.png (286KB, 1764x1196px) Image search: [Google]
HMF rant.png
286KB, 1764x1196px
>>53317853
Look, I can screech at fantasy races I don't like too!
>>
>>53338884
>If you work weekends, you don't have an "adult work schedule," you have a kid's job at dunkin donuts
Not him, but I'm a pharmacist. And we are obligated by law to be open entire week long. I'm doing shifts in Saturday (finished 3 hours ago), my boss is doing Sundays.
And what about doctors and nurses? Do they have a "kid's job", because they need to be present when the schelude says so?
How about firefighters and police officers? To think about it, soldiers, too.
What about construction workers?
Craftsmen and artisans?
Or just about ANYONE performing the so-called "free job", which - as the name implies - means they don't have fixed schelude, so they work when they need to, rather than from Monday to Friday? You know, lawyers, journalists, people like that.
And that goes without mentioning corpo-rats, that work 7 days a week and have free time when they feel like they can fuck up the current assignment or put it on someone else, because otherwise they are at work.

But it's nice to see you know jack shit about job market and job perspectives, but still talk with self-appointed authority about something that you apparently only know from your parents stories, being a jobless student who never sullied himself with working.
>>
File: 1369869.png (56KB, 447x265px) Image search: [Google]
1369869.png
56KB, 447x265px
>>53338884
Also, there is another aspect. Some people don't want to waste their free weekend on playing games. They want to sleep entire day, go to their garden and watch the grass grow, fuck like bunnies with their beloved or read a book with silence
But they still have enough time during the week to crowbar the game on some afternoon/evening. The intern we currently have act like this, always meeting with his pack outside weekend, because he prefers to spend the weekend with his girlfriend.

Surely that means they are flipping burgers!
>>
>>53312482
whats wrong with easy and fast rules?
>>
>>53339588
I have never once had any demi-human with any degree of depth. They're just used as a shortcut to characterize a PC without any actual effort.
>>
>>53312482
>"everything you want to do is covered by the rules down to the smallest detail"

This might be a surer sign OP. While I tend to stay on the fluffier end of the hobby it is, in my opinion, vital that there is a good balance of fluff to crunch.
>>
>This campaign is going to be special, we aren't using DnD or Pathfinder or anything like that
>This campaign is going to be a Runescape RPG! Bring laptops/desktops!

Didn't last a single fucking session, that was the stupidest thing I've ever heard.
>>
>>53325813
>get called out on mental disease
>character attack in response

Like clockwork. Get your head shrunk, there's meds for your problem.
>>
>>53317853
You
>>
>>53338884
You sound unemployed.
>>
>>53337888
>HFY party
>Furfag party

What if you have both and they have in-character nationalist banter against each other like a fantasy /int/
>>
>>53342065
Then I would probably set the room on fire rather than simply start looking for new group
>>
File: how do I grab this shit.jpg (63KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
how do I grab this shit.jpg
63KB, 1024x576px
>GM pulls out a grid map

>FOR PARTS WITHOUT COMBAT
>>
>>53312482
This is right up there with "it's like AD&D but..."
>>
>>53312611
>the DM arbitrarily applies rules and freely allows exceptional actions taken "for the lulz"
>>
>>53342563
>He doesn't enjoy the tactical intricacies of jockeying for seating positions at the king's feast
>>
>>53342768

Yesterday we were playing for the first time since the paladin and the bard broke up. We were sitting at a table for a meeting since everybody had been separated ig for a week or two. The DM says the two npcs are at the table talking, and we realise the bard and paladin don't want to sit together. There's a long discussion of seating where it seems like they may have to before the dm finally draws the table and makes us roll to determine who gets there when. In the end, they wound up sitting with an empty space between them... on the other side of the table my gf was in the center and an empty seat beside her. I decided to sit across from her to protect my friend the bard from his ex.

My gf was a little sad I didn't sit next to her, but you gotta look out for your bros.
>>
>>53328856
>DM wants to run a system he doesn't have player experience in
I was once asked to GM a game in a system I'd never so much as looked at a rule book for.
Said friends asking me also knew that apart from some short online games I had no experience in actual physical tabletop.
The cherry on top of this "Are you fucking serious?" pie was that this was the first they had talked to me about their group since I told them I would be interested in joining when asked over half a year earlier.
>>
>>53342563
I mean, I see a grid map for various locations as kind of like the Map of Ankh-Morpork in Discworld.
Sure, you don't need to have the map in front of yourself to enjoy the story you're reading, but it is good as a visualizing aid. Plus, if for whatever shit does begin to go down, it's nice to be able to get in the head of characters and know exactly where they are (Since Pratchett was one of the few authors to actually keep the geography of his setting internally consistent in his writing, with an effect on story.)

So a grid map is good for visualizing locations, and if the players make an unusual choice (not necessarily full murderhobo, but they piss someone off they shouldn't have) then bam there's the battle-mat right there.
>>
>>53321383
>play 3.5
>play a Rogue
>bait enemy into dark area so you can try to slit his throat(sneak attack them)
>LOL OOPS SORRY YOU CAN'T SNEAK ATTACK THEM IN DARKNESS
>>
>>53319783
>namefags
>>
>>53322070
>badass normal
>uses tvtropes lingo
>>
File: 1400303231852.jpg (489KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1400303231852.jpg
489KB, 1920x1080px
>>53317853
>>
>>53338884
You seem to have no idea how the world of employment works to a quite unusual degree.
>>
>>53312936
What is Shadowrun? What is Cyberpunk 2020
>>
>>53328856
We play on weeknights because we're normal people with stuff to do on weekends.
>>
>>53323102
/thread that's pretty much all of /tg/
>>
>>53341702
Me what?
>>
>>53313156
I have the same problem with the Latest Shadow run edition. It hides rules in badly written fluff.
>>
>>53340075
Yeah sorry if I didn't expect OP to be the 1% of the population who are pharmacists, doctors, nurses, and police officers.
>>
>>53340116
>Some people don't want to waste their free weekend on playing games

Then don't play RPGs.

> They want to sleep entire day
Degenerate.
>go to their garden and watch the grass grow,
Boring.
> fuck like bunnies with their beloved
I surely hope you're doing that more than on the weekend.
>read a book with silence
Can you not do this during the week?
>But they still have enough time during the week to crowbar the game on some afternoon/evening.
Yeah until you can only stay til around 10 or so because you have to go to bed to get up for work the next morning. Also most people work during the week and have weekends off, so getting pissy just because YOU picked a shitty job, is not others' fault. You have no right to be upset just because you work a fucktarded schedule.
>>
>>53312482

Can't stand this.
>>
>>53347773
Or the 30-40% that work in an office and don't have scheduled hours? Or the 40-50% full-time menial workers you shit on who in most places, don't have set hours, like Walmart for example, or the rest who are part-time or unemployed?
>>
>>53326029
So you think a group needs to be attached at the hip and borderline married or dating to get by? What sort of clingy bitch are you? Work out your abandonment and commitment issues. Jesus Christ.
>>
File: 1493936261267.jpg (47KB, 480x323px) Image search: [Google]
1493936261267.jpg
47KB, 480x323px
>>53317853
>Play. A. Fucking. Human. You need to EARN the privilege of playing another race, by proving you can competently play a normal character first. You don't get the big boy toys until your prove you can be responsible for them.
FUCKING THIS
>>
>>53317809
>I have never been in a game with balanced encounters that didn't devolve into a railroaded affair where everyone could afford to roll dice with no thought and still win due to superior DPR.
what
>>
File: 1489096428569.jpg (137KB, 640x424px) Image search: [Google]
1489096428569.jpg
137KB, 640x424px
I'm sitting here podcasting my Saturday night session and we're currently party split so I'm reading this thread.

And realizing this thread perfectly summarizes its contributors more than it presents real, legitimate problems about RPGs.

Rules light games are great for some groups. The other groups spend more time creating characters than playing, in my experience. And I won't lie, I've had several experiences where that was the case. Every time was trying to play a White Wolf game.

Crunchy games are often quite good, but (and this is damning) it requires the group to be willing to ignore problematic rules. This is basically all of my experience with Shadowrun.

There is no such thing as a quick tactical game, because there are no groups comprised entirely of people who are tactically-minded and come to quick decisions. I say this having played with a group that was entirely combat arms, i.e. tactically-minded and come to quick decisions. By our powers combined, we managed to go really slow. (Sorry, Strikefag. Even Strike! makes a fast OR tactical presentation. It just gives you both options.)

Many of these other complaints strike me as things that didn't happen because the game ended anyway.
>>
>>53349386
Imagine you're playing a game where your party of four is fighting another party of four. Now let's say that everyone involved in combat can survive three attacks before being knocked into the negatives.

In such an encounter, it doesn't matter what sort of strategy you employ to deal with the enemy before you, because the most important aspect of combat will boil down to whoever can deal twelve hits first.

Now imagine that this is the case for every encounter, regardless of your level, and every encounter that you fight will only happen when the DM deigns it to be appropriate to sprinkle an encounter, rather than as a consequence of player choice leading them down a violent road.

Now you understand why balanced encounters suck.
>>
>>53313156

F that, Unknown Armies' fluff bits are great.
>>
>>53349563
How is anything you mentioned a balanced encounter?

Do you even know what the term means?

It doesn't mean "all things are equal."

It means that the encounter is designed to present a reasonable challenge to the party at the level they currently inhabit.

Like...are you autistic or just stupid?
>>
>>53349606
>Like...are you autistic or just stupid?
>implying this is an either/or
>>
>>53349693
You got me, anon.

and/or
>>
>>53317804
Not that guy, but im kinda on both sides of that argument.
I was allowed to make my own custom race by my gm as long as i didnt make it op, so i made sure to have some stuff that could fit to different classes, and some weight downs.

In hindsight, now that i look back at it, the thing i made is pretty shit, and could probably use a few attunements here and there. Not even remotely close to some of the horror stories ive seen out there i hope.

What i did not appreciate is that the gm made my race a bunch of inbreds, led by a super-edgy goddess who is connected to deamons ''just because'', behind my back, when he said he was ok with my lore and that it fit in. But thats probably just me being somewhat bitter
>>
>>53317333
>not wanting to be a gnome in a corruption of champions campaign
>>
>>53321844
It's "foretold" you absolute toolbox.
>>
>>53321719
Show some goddamn maturity for once, you fucking useless incel.
>>
File: b28.jpg (47KB, 605x806px) Image search: [Google]
b28.jpg
47KB, 605x806px
>>53351741
>Not being an edgy demisexual pangendered snowflake is immature
>>
>>53353246
Honestly, an asexual person isn't that much different from your usual /tg/ crowd, except their sex life or lack thereof is by choice, rather than the usual reason of 'being an inherently unpleasant person'.
>>
>>53353286
Well seeing as the whole idea around being "asexual" is that by choice (or because of psychological reasons) they do not care for sex. It shouldn't be equated to not having sex because of being a sperg.
Thread posts: 315
Thread images: 37

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.