[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/mtg/ Standard General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 313
Thread images: 39

Pro Tour Amonkhet Decklists:
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/tournament/pro-tour-amonkhet#online

Current Tier 1 Decks of the Format:

Temur Aetherworks Marvel
Mono Black/Black-White Zombies
Green Black Energy
Mardu Midrange

Articles:
https://www.channelfireball.com/articles/

Create Decks, manage stats, manabases, etc:
http://deckstats.net/

Decklists from the lastest events:
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/metagame/standard#online
http://mtgtop8.com/

Finantial Advice:
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/movers/online/standard

Control still a meme.
Remember to start selling shit from BFZ, Oath, SOI and EM soon before rotation.

Last thread >>53234567
>>
File: Standard.jpg (138KB, 977x458px) Image search: [Google]
Standard.jpg
138KB, 977x458px
So /tg/, did you invested in anything during this format?

It flopped or did you gained some profit?
>>
File: Polaris.jpg (61KB, 465x620px) Image search: [Google]
Polaris.jpg
61KB, 465x620px
>>53310494
>Kalitas and Grim Flayer down 34%
>After I got a playset of flayers
>>
>>53310494

>Kalitas is down to $13 dollar

Why the fuck didn't I sell mine back when they were worth $40?!
>>
>>53310913
cause you're bad at speculation or were using them?
>>
>>53310913
You're not the only one anon, I got my playset for $10 a pop, then during their peak I was using them, afterwards NOBODY wanted them because the meta was fucked with cats, and now nobody wants them again because of rotation and value went down.

I got a Gideon playset and nobody wants them either because Mardu flopped.
>>
>>53311263
>mfw I sold my set of gideon and 3 kalitas to finance my edh deck

I feel for you though anon
>>
>>53311348
I mean I got my value back thanks to the tournaments I won using them, this season has been pretty good for me and right now Im solid on GB Energy, but it sucks to be stuck with them since they aren't very good in modern.
>>
File: image.png (405KB, 760x557px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
405KB, 760x557px
>yfw Marvel lost to a deck playing mainly AKH cards
WoTC getting their heads out of their asses finally
>>
>>53312471
There isn't a face on that image
>>
Does anyone have any good White or White/Red human deck lists? I've made one for game day and would like to compare.
>>
>>53310382
i have a question

if you cast walking ballista with atherworks marvel's energy ability does it come in as a 1/1 or a 0/0 unless you tap it afterwards?
>>
>>53313806
it comes in as a 0/0 and dies immediately
>>
>>53313875
oh ok, i'll remember not to do that then
>>
So what are the current u/r decks?
Preferably something with Enigma Drake
>>
>>53314086
Theres a UR Control deck thats decent. The manabase and Torrential Gearhulks are expensive though.
>>
>>53317012
I already have the gearhulks. Hit me my friend.
>>
>>53317364
Check mtggoldfish standard metagame, should be the 4th deck, titled UR Control, basically Censor, Negate, Disallow, Magma Spray
>>
>>53314086
UR Control, and there's a janky Temur Cycle deck that uses Enigma Drake, the serpent thing, and I think Drake Haven as payoff cards
>>
Okay, how about a G/R/??? deck using manadorks to ramp and champion of rhonas + rhonas monument to bring in some of the less used gearhulks (verduous, combustible and noxious spring to mind; maybe side in cataclysmic as a turn 4 board clear against tokens or w/e); glorybringer is also a good one in this deck, except you can't attack from the exert pull in. also include the man himself rhonas, the 1bg legendary that lets you cast your top card when you cast your first spell, and viser of the menagerie. Maybe get that old school jund feel with some black exile effects or something I dunno.
>>
>>53318486
as an extra wincon/FUN FACTOR maybe include indomitable creativity to blow up your mana dorks on like turn 7-8 if it goes that late and hope to pull some more big guys.

probably also the snakecat that can't be countered.
>>
>play mono white white weenie
>can't beat whirler virtuoso

life is suffering
>>
>>53314086
I don't know about decent but I have a fun UR Drake Haven deck sleeved up.

My friend runs enigma Drake alongside fling.

Both fun decks.

Fling: http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/swingers-and-flingers-feat-drake/

Haven: http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/is-it-drake-1/
>>
>>53310494
Time to buy play sets of Kaliyah and flayer
>>
Has anyone tried brewing with Combustible Gearhulk? It works well with aftermath cards, and while it's probably not good enough I think it could be a nice T2 deck.
>>
>>53319922
>giving your opponent a choice
No sir I don't like it.
>>
>>53320083
I know the red Gearhulk is shit. I just want to see a somewhat playable red deck.
>>
>>53320182
4 Kozilek's Return
4 Sweltering Suns
4 Fiery Temper
4 Lightning Axe
4 Flame Lash
4 Soul-Scar Mage
4 Goblin Dark Dwellers
4 Glorybringer
>>
What's the theme of the next bloc?
>>
>>53321215
Mesoamerican, so probably lots of sacrifice shit, maybe some conquistadors too along with the savages
>>
>>53321247
Can't wait for the pillarman memes
>>
>>53321300
Egyptian block is not enough?
>>
>>53321601
Pillarmen aren't egyptian you tard.
>>
>>53310382
Gonna be playing BR Madness Burn

So what if its not a tier 1,2,3,4,etc deck, I'll just try to win with jank if I have to.
>>
>>53321215

Dominaria.
>>
>>53319922
I've had it in my Mardu Gearhulks deck, it's fine in there because I rarely care about the cards going to my hand and there is a real risk of them taking 10-18 damage
>>
>>53310494
Bought two Avacyns to get back into standard after not playing since Kaladesh released and origins rotated out, leaving my Humans deck fucked six ways sideways.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/19-05-17-HKW-rw-humans/

Built this for Game Day tomorrow, anybody wanna comment on it?
>>
>>53313339
Hey buddy, this one's mine >>53323850

Give it a gander, The only non humans are Avacyn, Glorybringer and Oketra.
>>
File: 1463510244688.gif (96KB, 260x278px) Image search: [Google]
1463510244688.gif
96KB, 260x278px
>tfw you were brewing some janky Approach of the Second Sun Marvel shitfest
>tfw you have some success and get excited because Marvel was cheap as shit and could actually make the deck
>tfw playsets are 40 bucks now

it hurts to be poor
>>
>>53324807
>playsets are 40$

Try needing a playset of Gideon to have a competitive Humans deck. 100$ for 4 cards that rotate in 5 months.
>>
>>53324807
why not buy them when they were cheap? could have easily gotten them for $16 but you held off lmao
>>
>>53324962
I was still testing. When I decided that they were actually a good choice, it was the friday of the PT.
>>
>>53325016
"hm should I pick up these marvels now? they're only $4 a piece! Nah I'll wait a few weeks until right before PT weekend after people immediately remembered that marvel was one of the strongest decks before cat combo showed up and everyone starts buying them up"

if you had ANY inkling that you wanted to play marvel then you should have bought them up, the card is busted and will be around for another year you had nothing to lose
>>
>>53310382
What do you side against marvel if you're B/W?
Anguished unmaking and what else?
>>
>>53325073
yeah youre right. I fucked up.
>>
>>53313226
f could mean feel
>>
>>53325387
That 3 drop exile enchantment cycle spell. That's what i'm running in W/R.
>>
Shit, tomorrow is game day?

How much a RG deck without any amonkhet cards is going to get fucked
>>
Is there any way in standard to be able to reliably cast Sorceries at instant speed? I have a silly deck that could use it.
>>
File: 1490292877762.jpg (44KB, 314x295px) Image search: [Google]
1490292877762.jpg
44KB, 314x295px
>>53325406
But it doesn't when it's in "mfw" or "yfw" unlike when using "tfw"

cum on step it up
>>
>>53326227
Brain in a Jar allows you to do this, Torrential Gearhulk also does if it is an aftermath card with an instant attached to it some where, any cards with madness on them
>>
>>53326392
Not quite what I'm looking for. Wouldn't get the converge from Bring to Light. Ah well, thanks.
>>
Has anyone been keeping an eye on mtgo meta game?
Mono black zombies has almost completely fallen off while UR control has been on the rise. Also a new version of UW flash has been making waves

I am trying to figure out what to play for game day and I am sitting on

UR control
MonoB zombies
WB zombies
GB energy
UW flash

I gotta pick one
>>
>>53327605
Build Simic Emerge and make it work where I couldn't.

Alternatively, UW Flash.
>>
>>53327896
>Simic Emerge
>Not Simic Converge

Step it up, senpai
>>
File: 1490667001847.jpg (24KB, 680x680px) Image search: [Google]
1490667001847.jpg
24KB, 680x680px
Hi all, noob to magic here, first set with amonkhet and planning on going to my first standard event tomorrow with the trueheart promo, and was wondering if I could get some help ironing out my deck, I have been trading around and have been trying to make a W/G Exert deck, any help would be greatly appreciated and just to be clear, I only have amonkhet set cards atm.
List:

Creatures:23
x4 bitterblade warrior 1/G - easy deathtouch
x4 glory bound initiate 1/W - 4/4 exerted for 2...
x4 gust walker 1/W - easy flyer
x2 Hooded Brawler 2/G - decent 5/4 exerted..
x2 devoted crop mate 2/W return 1/1 creatures
x3 ahn crop champion 2/W/G untap exerters
x4 champion of rhonas 3/G - free summons...

Spells:
x2 cast out 3/W - removal
x4 prepare//fight 1/W//3/G -cheeky combat trick//removal.
x2 cartouche of strength 2/G - +1/+1 and removal
x2 cartouche of Solidarity W - +1/+1 FS + token
x2 trial of solidarity 2/W - +2/+1 + vigilance all exerters = profit, cartouches make it repeatable
x2 synchronized strike 2/G - combat trick blockers
x2 rhonas monument 3 - lowers costs of some bigger creatures and free +2/+2 & trample for creature spells

Lands:21
x1Tranquil expanse (ahk deck kit)
x11 plains
x9 forest

Sideboard is where i really need help i feel
x2 oketra monument 3 -possibility?
x2 trial of solidarity 2/W- more vigilance :/
x1 ahn crop champ 2/W/G- in case?
x1 hooded brawler- in case 3 drops are too low
x2 compulsory rest 1/W - removal even with enemy life gain :/
x2 Djeru's resolve W - untap and indestructible??
x2 harvest season 2/G - free land, not sure how that works with all the vigilance and untap I have to make it useful or not?
x3 unknown:
stinging shot G - for flyers?
sixth sense G - card draw?
Impeccable timing 1/W - combat trick?

Not sure if I should go back to 10/10/1 lands If i need more removal in deck, if rhonas monument is worth the niche boost or not.
Any help is appreciated
~Thanks
>>
>>53330158
You need at least 2 more lands, as you have no way to tutor or fetch up any normally
Get pic related, take out Champion of Rhonas, as fun as free summons sounds, it's not worth it if you don't cheat in stuff that gets you miles ahead.
>>
>>53330158
One big tip before anything else, we know the cards here and don't really need descriptions for each one, just a decklist. It actually makes it harder to read, and makes one wish to not finish looking at it.
>>
File: Image.png (129KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
Image.png
129KB, 223x311px
Oh hey! Don't mind me, i just heard you didn't get a removal on your opening hand.
>>
File: MVP.png (345KB, 371x512px) Image search: [Google]
MVP.png
345KB, 371x512px
First FNM in a couple years. Got fourth place with a wonky GB -1/-1 counters deck.
Deck kind of falls apart against decks that don't play many creatures it seems (Until game 2)
Worked amazingly well in those matchups after sideboarding in artifact hate and/or serpopard though.
>>
I missed FNM because the only shop in a 50 mile radius had no parking.
>>
Just came back from FNM after playing Jeskai equipment for the first time. List:

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/humans-develop-tools/

I was previously on Boros, but I picked up the blue lands and some other cards like Gideon in preparation for Game Day. I went 2-1, beating RG Gods and Zombies while losing to GB Energy. All of my matches went to 3 games, and many of the games were really close. Hopefully I can win Game Day with the deck.

If anyone's interested in the deck, I wrote a giant wall of text about it on the TappedOut page.
>>
oooookay 4chun i need HELP
basically
i want to win game day with mardu
or at least have a damn good chance at winning
so, i need criticism and help making my deck fucking great, but i dont quite like the look of the net deck mardu, and i dont have a fuckton of cards.
so here's the list, any and all help is appreciated, thanks.

// 60 Maindeck
// 4 Artifact
4 Heart of Kiran

// 21 Creature
4 Thraben Inspector
4 Toolcraft Exemplar
4 Scrapheap Scrounger
3 Selfless Spirit
2 Gisela, the Broken Blade
2 Archangel Avacyn
2 Glorybringer

// 7 Instant
3 Fatal Push
4 Unlicensed Disintegration

// 24 Land
4 Concealed Courtyard
4 Inspiring Vantage
4 Spire of Industry
2 Smoldering Marsh
6 Plains
2 Mountain
2 Swamp

// 4 Planeswalker
4 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar

// 15 Sideboard
// 2 Creature
SB: 2 Veteran Motorist

// 4 Instant
SB: 2 Magma Spray
SB: 2 Anguished Unmaking

// 9 Sorcery
SB: 3 Transgress the Mind
SB: 1 Fumigate
SB: 2 By Force
SB: 2 Declaration in Stone
SB: 1 Dispossess
>>
Is 4 colorless lands in a 22 land, 2 color deck too many? Or should I be fine?
>>
>>53325387
Disposses and Trangress the Mind do wonders, also Lost Legacy to get rid of Ulamog.
>>
>>53334225
If you're basically playing all single coloured symbol costs it should be fine.
>>
>>53330485
The core energy cards are way to good.
>>
Went 4-1 tonight at FNM with UB Improvise. Got to the finals but then lost to a janky GB -1/-1 counters deck since my deck has no answer to Scarab Swarm and my losses against the deck had me drawing no removal. Perhaps next time.
>>
>>53335710
>scarab swarm
i meant nest of scarabs
>>
So, went 4-1 tonight with B/W tokens. Had one hilarious game against mono-B zombies where he scooped after I went 3 turns in a row where I gained 104 life and made 8 servos each turn. Lost to marvel. I feel I may need to stop talking smack on dispossess.
>>
File: 1453580140218.png (20KB, 202x227px) Image search: [Google]
1453580140218.png
20KB, 202x227px
Is there any reason for me to have Threaten Effects in my sideboard? (Kari Zev's Expertise in this case). I play RG energy aggo.
>>
What are some cheaper alternatives to Fatal Push for a zombies deck? I already got Dark Salvation and Time to reflect.
>>
>>53335784
How do you manage that?
>>
>>53336028
Grasp of Darkness is what you want, I think.
>>
File: 20170520_133526.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170520_133526.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
My deck for gameday weekend, thoughts?

My local meta doesn't follow the pro meta too closely but it's likely to have one or two spikes playing aetherworks or zombies. I can expect to come up against some of the following:

- Control (likely UW or Jeskai)
- U/W spirits
- Mardu gearhulk reanimator
- G/B Snek
- U/B Zombies
- U/R Enigma Drake
>>
>>53338467
Oh also there was a go-wide servo token deck which is the reason for the authority of the consuls
>>
>>53332789
>tfw Game Day doesn't fire because not enough people showed up

fuck
>>
>>53330158
The only constructed playable cards in your deck are glory bound initiate cast out, and the basic lands.
>>
File: sligh.jpg (460KB, 1852x613px) Image search: [Google]
sligh.jpg
460KB, 1852x613px
>>53320182
here you go, senpai
>>
Honored Crop Captain vs Veteran Motorist in this list?

Creatures:22
4 Toolcraft Exemplar
4 Thraben Inspector
4 Scrapheap Scrounger
4 VM or HCC
2 Pia Nalaar
2 Gisela, Broken Blade
2 Archangel Avacyn

PW: 4
4 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar

Artifacts: 4
4 Heart of Kiran

Spells: 6
4 Unlicensed Disintigration
2 Fatal Push

Lands: 24
4 Concealed Courtyard
4 Inspiring Vantage
4 Spire of Industry
2 Smoldering Marsh
5 Plains
3 Mountain
2 Swamp
>>
>>53340746
I'd go with Motorist unless you expect a lot of Walking Ballista/Liliana, the Last Hope, in which case Crop Captain could be better because of the second toughness.
>>
>>53310494
I've got 4 Gearhulks and I pulled a Lili, and have 4 Canals
>>
>>53337721
Ridiculous levels of board stall. I drew 2 Anointed Processions, then embalmed an Annointer Priest. That gets me 4 tokens, which combined with my currently live one to give me 20 life so I can survive the Ormendahl he's swinging at me. Next turn, I get a third Procession, and embalm my other dead Priest, which means I get 8 more tokens, for a grand total of 13 Priests triggering for 104 life. After that comes Hidden Stockpile, which I start triggering every turn by sacrificing some smuck, usually a servo, to get 8 more servos and 104 more life. At this point, he's got 2 colossus, 2 relentless dead, about a half dozen zombie tokens, and Ormendahl while I have an army of 1/1s and 1/3. He was also around the 50s himself from swinging each turn. While I'm gaining shitloads of life each turn, it was still going to be a while before I had a meaningful amount of damage, and may actually ending up helping him swarm more, so I just kinda sat there gaining life. Fortunately, he realized I would win eventually, or we'd draw, and just scooped to go to game 2.
>>
>>53310382
im curious, what were some of the older sets like in standard? like stuff from mirrodin.
>>
>>53341956
Mirrodin almost broke MtG becaude of Cawblade.
>>
>>53341956
And the original mirrodin broke MTG because of affinity
>>
>tfw get 7th out of 15 with janky Bant Humans Midrange because I got the Bye for match 1

Feels good.

Now to build New Perspectives for maximum memes.
>>
>>53342062
>>53342079
did any other sets have top tier ubercancer in them? i've heard stuff about how bad urzas saga was
>>
>>53338467
>>53338656
It did pretty well for anyone that cares, undefeated in the swiss and then lost 2-1 to UR spells (drew no counters)
>>
File: 1485874624919.png (756KB, 600x885px) Image search: [Google]
1485874624919.png
756KB, 600x885px
>game day, see dozens of marvel fags again this week
>game 1, get t4 ulamog'd and still go on to win it
>go 4-0 in the placement rounds, 8-0 in games. Feeling good
>cut to top 8
>guy in 8th is on some super jank artifact brew, interesting but an easy 2-0
>next round more marvel
>get t4 ulamog'd again game 2
>deal with it, then get ulamog'd again a turn after
>JUST
>pick up game 3
>in finals, guy I beat to go 4-0
>BG counters
>keep a 3 land hand with two grasps and one anguished
>proceed to draw 9 more lands
>he goes gearhulk into gearhulk into gearhulk
>game 2
>draw 7, see one land - mull 6, 1 land, mull 5, no lands, mull 4, two lands
>don't see another land for four turns
>lose
>"good games"
>>
Not much of a standard player but I'm going to my usual draft tonight and I want to cobble something together from what I already have to play with some buddies who play standard in downtime or before it fires. Any suggestions on this neo-jund idea I've got going? would it be better to take out the unbridled growths and the nagas for attune with aether and the elf that makes mana based on energy? any other ideas on finishers/champ of rhonas targets? also have no clue on the sideboard, I have a lot of random cards from drafting but all from kaladesh/revolt/amonkhet
Creatures - 24
----------
3x Fourth Street Prowler
2x Gifted Aetherborn
3x Naga Vitalist
3x Champion of Rhonas
2x Combustible Gearhulk
2x Noxious Gearhulk
2x Glorybringer
1x Rhonas the Indomitable
1x Vizer of the Menagerie
1x Gonti, Lord of Luxury
2x Vengeful Rebel
2x Ridgescale Tusker

Artifacts - 1
---------
1x Lifecrafter's Bestiary

Enchantments - 5
---------
2x Sandwurm Convergence
3x Unbridled Growth

Instants - 6
---------
2x Unlicensed Disintegration
2x Fatal Push
2x Shock

Sorceries
---------

Planeswalkers - 2
---------
1x Nissa, Vital Force
1x Nissa, Steward of Elements

Lands - 22
---------
4x Aether Hub
7x Forest
1x Sheltered Thicket
6x Swamp
4x Mountain

Sideboard - 15
---------
2x Final Reward
2x Magma Spray
???
>>
>>53346381
>3 colors
>4 gearhulks+2 Dragons+ 2 7drops
>22 lands and no Landtutors
You need more lands/ramp and consitency
>>
>>53344439

post your shitbrew
>>
>>53346420
alright, so what gets cut. this is my issue. I'd rather be up to say 24 lands and have maybe 1-2 more mana dorks, or maybe just draw. do I take out some of the removal? I considered taking out unlicensed disintegration since it only has one artifact to activate it, but 3 mana destroy target creature seems too good not to have in the deck.
>>
>>53346507
take out bestiary, convergence, growth
>>
File: 169.jpg (68KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
169.jpg
68KB, 312x445px
>>53346507
Fourth Street Prowler is frankly useless except some silly circumstances, there's way better 1-drop creatures in this format. Narnam Renegade is an example which synergizes with your Unbridled growth.
Put some Traverse The Ulvenwald in there or Attune with Aether. With Attune you can also get extra value out of your Aether Hubs and Pic related.
Champion of Rhonas is too small of a body to invest so much in, but you should playtest it if you REALLY want to play it
Cut Blue green Nissa, 4 colors are way too much for you.
I would not take out your removal, as interaction is always important.

Evolving Wilds is a must, if you can't afford dual lands
>>
Are the decks going into Pro Tour tomorrow posted anywhere, or will be post anywhere tonight?
>>
so I sleaved up UR control for Gameday

Round 1 vs. Zombies
Smashed him with Sweltering Suns both games

Round 2 vs. Some Red Black Control
Gearhulk Timetwister huge advantage he couldn't come back

go to report the game
guy says he has it recorded as me winning 2-0 and that I am 2-0 for the day so far

Round 3. Paired down vs a UG ramp deck who is 1-1 even though multiple other players are 2-0 and the guy I just beat is also getting paired against one of them.

Go back to the desk to make sure things were reported correctly
Guy confirms I am 2-0 and that the matches were just paired in a weird way

Win vs. Ramp

now "3-0"
Round 4 vs. some GB intro deck stuff, guy is 0-3
very confused
go check again with the desk
guy now realizes he has been pushing the wrong buttons and my record is 1-2

too late to fix now

play out the rest of my rounds and win every game and feel bad for beating up on people playing intro decks

finish off 4-2 somehow make top 8
get my promo card
play fist game of top 8 vs. Aetherworks Marvel
all other 7 players in top 8 are Aetherworks Marvel

lost to turn 4 Ulamog game 1
lose to turn 4 Ulamog game 2

what a day lads...

at lest the guy that got the free win off of me in round 2 was a good enough guy to give me is promo glory bringer and I got one for making top 8 anyway so I guess it worked out
>>
>>53346957
2x promo glorybringers is about all anyone can ask for anon. Care to post your list? I'm always interested to see control lists in this uncontrollable era
>>
>>53347076
this, i really want to build UR control.
>>
>>53347076
9x Island
5x Mountain
4x Aether Hub
4x Spirebluff Canal
4x Wandering Fumarole

4x Magma Spray
2x Anticipate
4x Censor
3x Negate
4x Harnessed Lightning
1x Essence Scatter

2x Sweltering suns
4x Disallow

4x Glimmer of Genius
1x Commit//Memory

1x Pull from Tomorrow

4x Torrential Gearhulk

this is fairly well tuned but I might make some changes based on my local metagame

I think I am gonna drop 1 Disallow for 1 Void Shatter

sideboard should be mostly for your local metagame but TiTi is really good as is Dragonmaster Outcast
>>
/tg/ I was working on gameday, I have some decks more or less ready for showdown on tuesday:
>New Perspectives
>Sultai Amalgam midrange thing
>WB aristocrats no AoZ
>Red or BR burn

There's one marvel player I'm aware of, 2+ RG gods, WR humans, UR emerge, and bad rogue stuff. What do?
>>
>>53349185
>showdown on tuesday
???
>>
>it's a "LGS shitlord gets super salty because his dogshit brew didn't work again" episode
It wouldn't be so bad if he didn't scream the entire fucking time about getting mana screwed.

This is also the same guy who vapes, smokes, and wears a nicotine patch, claiming he could never ever have enough nicotine somehow.
>>
>>53340549
Dang that's harsh.
>>
>>53335784
Decklist?
>>
File: 1463524168665.gif (2MB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1463524168665.gif
2MB, 500x500px
>city has like 3 LGS, one really casual and two pretty competitive
>go to the casual one for EZ glorybringer
>barely fires off at all, had exactly 8 people so everyone got the promo
>go 2-1 with R/B Zombies
>lose to Marvel
>top 4, beat out RUG control
>finals was me and the Marvel player
>concede and get 2 packs because minimal showup
>pull nothing from packs
At least I got the promo. That's all I care about.
>>
There is no vorthos thread so will ask here

can someone summarize the amonhket story line real quick? is gideon fucking shit for everyone in amonkhet?
>>
File: 1495182589024.jpg (2KB, 125x125px) Image search: [Google]
1495182589024.jpg
2KB, 125x125px
Post YFW when the local salt miner shows up to make everyone's Game Day miserable at your store
>>
>>53350607
What's he do? Does he get salty or make others salty?
>>
>>53350520

>group shows up in the middle of the desert, gets their ass kicked, saved by oketra, gideon is awed.
>find their way to the only (known) city in the plane, jace reads minds so they can fake like they belong, gideon is now crushing hard on oketra
>briefly see samut telling everyone their lives are a lie, but gideon tells everyone its fine because oketra
>Zombiegirl wanders off in search of Razaketh, Jace follows, Razaketh notices her snooping
>Nissa discovers there used to be 3 other gods, but their existence was wiped away and the other gods were either forced to forget, or told to never speak of them again
>Nissa gets through the blue trail discovering more about the plane and that the gods are made of leylines
>Gideon tries out the black trial with a group, wants to make friends but isn't too thrilled when they all get their murder on at the black god's behest. He swears to take down the black god and Bolas, not as thrilled about Oketra any more.
>Everyone and Samut is captured and forced to fight the initiates in the red trial. Nissa Flings Jace. Gideon sees his own blood. Samut won't let her friend do the suicide by Hazoret thing. Her friend is pissed. The Hours begin and the gods leave to meet Bolas.

All in all, not that bad. A little clumsy but the chapter where Gideon has to actually face the reality of his personal idealism is pretty good. Jace is again worthless except when being Flung. Nissa figures out a lot of stuff on her own.
>>
>play two game days
>get utterly destroyed first game day, draw nothing but lands or my creatures in the complete wrong situations
>second day (today).
>completely and utterly trash every opponent up until top 4 cutoff pairings, match goes evenly until land screw gives my opponent the win

Humans will be so fucking fun for the next 5 months.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/19-05-17-HKW-rw-humans/
>>
>>53350752
I would give it a

Minimum Chandra/10
which is about as good as modern magic lore can get
>>
>>53350710
he gets so salty it makes the entire game unfun to play against him or sit next to him.

He says the kind of shit you see in MOBAs and Counter Strike IRL. I'm honestly shocked he hasn't been banned from the store.
>>
File: Image.png (139KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
Image.png
139KB, 223x311px
>>53350882
>the only thing I can do is tear down the oppressive ruling force with fire
Christ.
>>
>>53352184
>le edgy teenager dialect in a high fantasy universe

shit is so offputting
I wish she would die instead of gideon
>>
>>53352188
I think it is best for the game if gideon dies. His mechanics were a mistake.
>>
File: 1489910224528.jpg (36KB, 428x359px) Image search: [Google]
1489910224528.jpg
36KB, 428x359px
>yfw HoD planeswalkers are Samut Voice of KANGZ, Nicol Bolas but he sucks because R&D knows they're going to fuck up everything anyway, and some other random fuck who's utterly unplayable
Only 5 months until BoZ rotates. I'm almost excited.
>>
>>53352513
>implying they won't reprint the original bolas
>>
File: call the neighbors.jpg (56KB, 500x376px) Image search: [Google]
call the neighbors.jpg
56KB, 500x376px
>>53340690
>fucking do-or-die-sligh
>+1 land in the board
>>
>>53350752
I find it kinda annoying that everything is suddenly muh leylines
>>
>>53340690
Just wondering, why don't you play Bloodrage Brawler?
>>
>>53310382
never understood why there isn't more sexy artwork, rule 34 or anything of her
>>
>>53353667
Because no-one likes Nissa.
>>
>>53352513
Can standard survive 5 months of marvel being tier 0? Even under the weakest circumstances it's 42% that the first spin gets a mog and there's only 2-3 cards that can deal with him that are actually playable.

We had 9 for game day yesterday, 6 were on marvel. We have the PPTQ next week and that will be the last standard event our shop holds until HoD game day, at which point if we get 20 there will be a vote as to whether or not to start firing standard fnm again.
>>
It looks like we may have an all-Marvel top 8 at the GP. They'll have to ban this.
>>
>>53355879
>talking to people about how marvel is bullshit
>"just exile ulamog, easy"

T4 ulamog if you're on the draw against Marvel leaves you with two lands if you play a land for turn on your T4. That leaves being able to Dec in stone 'Mog or lose 1/3rd of your deck.

Their response would just be to spin marvel again next turn.

This deck should NOT be allowed in standard. I'm COMPLETELY fine with people making a cheat creatures deck, with Planar Bridge and Paradox engine to cheat their deck out onto the board, because that takes time and you'd need to spend mana on getting the pieces ready, not holding it for counterspells and fatal pushes, giving aggro decks SOME game against your deck.
>>
File: ThisDaGudShit.jpg (9KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
ThisDaGudShit.jpg
9KB, 480x360px
First game day at the new FLGS, decided to run WB Zombies though it's under tuned because I didn't run Grasp and Push in the main board like a tool.

>Matches 1 and 2 are sweeps
>Match 3 is against RW Humans, edge out game three due to two wayward servants and Diregraf Colossus shenanigans
>Match 4 is against GB Counters, fold due to unfavorable mainboard and flooding game 2
>Still make top 4 for the cut
>Match 5 is against UR control with Enigma Drake beatdown as a wincon, lose to 16 in the air on turn 7 on game 1, sweep games 2 and 3 due to sideboarded removal
>Match 6 is a rematch against GB Counters, split games 1 and 2 before hitting game 3. Curve out to Little Lili and start ticking her up on his oversized creatures, recurring just enough blockers each turn as he keeps alpha striking on me. Still manages to get me down to 3. Activate the one man land I have in the deck to tick myself up to 5 while ulting Liliana. Next turn drop Wayward servant and drain him for 9, cargo scoops enabled.
>GG no re

All in all it only got difficult in the latter half, anyone else have any close finishes?
>>
Why does Aetherworks Marvel not enter tapped? Why would they even print that card when Eldrazi exist in the format?
>>
File: 1376886726164.png (39KB, 1021x746px) Image search: [Google]
1376886726164.png
39KB, 1021x746px
>>53356524
>ulting a planeswalker

Only time I've ever done it is Ajani in Commander. Making my opponents dragons go from 6/6's to 1/1's was fucking amazing.
>>
>>53352513
This. There's no reason to play Standard when BFZ block is still shitting up the format.
>>
>>53310494
built zombies pre Amonkhet, sold them all for atleast triple what I payed, won gameday before I did it too.
>>
>>53356620
Just play manglehorn rhino lmao
Just cast negate lmao
Just cast disallow lmao
Just cast essence scatter lmao
Just run artifact removal lmao

But seriously if every legit deck is marvel then side against it or even main against it and then side for other decks. Is it really that much to ask to run instant speed removal or counters? If you bounce the marvel or stop it going off you win the game 100% of the time right?
>>
>>53357239
Or hell even just letting them t4 ulamog and then galestrike it when it goes sideways, if you're down 20 cards but they can't get their wincon on the board again you haven't exactly lost

(If you aren't playing UR or UG then idk what to tell you, I guess cast out or something?? Not a W/B player here)
>>
>>53357239

Artifact removal doesn't work.
>>
>>53357732
>removing the artifact that enables the combo will not address the combo
>>
>>53310382
so what's a strong deck to invest in if I don't want to drop money on things rotating out soon? Pretty much means no marvel or zombies. I figure mardu but even good gideon comes out soonish.
>>
>>53357788
>"In response I activate Aetherworks Marvel"
>>
>>53357788
That is correct. Removing the artifact that enables the combo will indeed not address the combo.

Honestly Aetherworks isn't a format breaking deck or anything, not without Emrakul, but it really should enter tapped.
>>
>>53357239
1. Marvel decks don't need marvel to win. It helps, but due to how inherently value based the deck is, they can just keep going even without marvel in play.
2. Instant speed artifact removal means nothing. They spin in response and then can just play another one later if they even need to (see point 1)
3. So what if you take down one (1) ulamog? You're still down 2 permanents, most likely lands, while the marvel player can still spin or drop walkers or make an army of thopters to continuously block while they stall to get another threat out.
>>
>>53310913
>Waiting until last second to sell standard cards
>>
File: 1478664470387.jpg (96KB, 642x653px) Image search: [Google]
1478664470387.jpg
96KB, 642x653px
>>53358373
>SOI gets spoiled
>everybody creaming themselves over Relentless dead
>pull a Prelease Promo
>trade it for an ENTIRE mono white humans deck that some guy had bought to fuck around with
>thalia's leiutenants, thrabens, always watching
>only missing 2 avacyns
>value was around 100-150$ but they guy really wanted that relentless dead
>make the trade
>PT comes around
>Relentless dead? 5$.
>mfw
>>
File: 20170521_152743.jpg (4MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20170521_152743.jpg
4MB, 4128x2322px
>>53332789
>>53340549
I went back for game day today and we actually had 8 people, so we actually got to play, even if it was just 3 rounds. I won the event, beating a bad version of bw zombies and 2 mardu decks. Pic related is my deck.
>>
>>53356620
Zendikar blocks are not supposed to be in standard right now.

But standard players bitched about having less blocks in the rotation so Wizards kept it in. The format would've been healthier with just Zombies and decks that beat Zombies.
>>
File: 1482420100166.jpg (16KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1482420100166.jpg
16KB, 320x240px
>>53353473
not sligh enough! doesn't have haste, doesn't go face. it isn't an efficient 3-mana interaction with any madness effects or cartouche and asking 4 mana of this deck is completely unreasonable.

i jammed about 25 games with it on modo before i came to this conclusion. it's really good in RG Gods though, so there's that.

GAIMDAY REPOT
3rd place on breakers, lost the finals to running mountains against mono-black zombies.
>when you draw 3 mountains and the bomat courier has an additional 3 mountains under it
>>
>>53358333
>1. Marvel decks don't need marvel to win. It helps, but due to how inherently value based the deck is, they can just keep going even without marvel in play.
This is what kinda disturbs me about the deck. In a lot of matches (of GP montreal) you don't even see an aetherworks marvel and the match is really fun. But they just have a 4-of of "sometimes get a free win" in their deck that's just kinda stupid.
>>
>>53359524
Mana fixing in Standard is too good, 4c Saheeli was able to get away with 20 lands thanks to Attune the Aether and Oath of Nissa. Not to mention there are Tango Lands, Shadowlands, Fastlands and now Cyclelands in the format.

Until rotation the best decks will likely continue to be 3-4 color piles of goodstuff that curve out nicely.
>>
>mfw there is only one lgs in my city
>mfw my LGS is not running mtg standard anymore cause there are only 5-6 ppl playing it now.
>mfw now fnms became yugioh/force of will nights.

Magic is kinda dead where I live now, meanwhile shitty weeb games are getting popular.
>>
>>53359800
>Until rotation the best decks will likely continue to be 3-4 color piles of goodstuff that curve out nicely.
And then 23 Swamps wins the PT, even when there were 2 colour versions of the same deck.
>>
>>53360060
Didn't mono black zombies fall off the map thanks to the resurgence of Marvel?
>>
>GP Montreal Top 8
>3 Temur Marvel
>2 Mardu Vehicles
>1 BG Constrictor
>1 Mono Black Zombies
>1 UR Control

>GP Santiago Top 8
>3 Temur Marvel
>2 Mardu Vehicles
>1 RG Energy
>1 Mono Black Zombies
>1 UR Control
>>
>>53352827
Agreed.
>>
>>53360551
Meta looks pretty solved, there's no card to answer Marvel so I doubt we'll see any shakeup.
>>
>>53352188
I'm amazed how much a fire-based ginger redhead has been made entirely unappealing to me. That's usually my fetish, and I cannot get over how much I want Chandra to die.
>>
>>53359249
Except that's not why, Emrakul is supposed to be here and she's worse than Ulamog. Don't make excuses for Wizard's inability to evaluate cards.
>>
>>53360571
Well it's an insanely strong value engine that does something on the turn it enters. I'm surprised it isn't seeing Modern play honestly.
>>
>>53360615
What were they honestly thinking with Emrakul?

"Take over an opponents turn, protection from anything that might actually be able to deal with the problem before then,"

Christ.
>>
>>53360644
4 mana in a massive investment in modern, plus it requires you to basically play all the same energy related cards, denying you some of the better modern staples

Also there's effective artifact hate in Stony Silence
>>
>>53340627
Champion has some cheeky synergy with Temur Aethermog
>>
>>53360644
Modern is a T4 format. Given a perfect draw, Aetherworks turns online on T4. Even then you might miss the wincon. Not to mention you have to run energy cards to support it.
>>
>>53360135
no monoB fell off the map because people now respect it

everyone is now playing 3-6 copies of sweepers in the 75 somewhere along with multiple exile effects

expect the deck to continue to fall in relevance and have marvel rise with only really UR to challenge it since counterspells are well over half of the "answers" to the deck

and this exemplifies the largest problem with the format
we have some decks that turn out to be absolute powerhouses and could offer a good chunk of diversity in the metagame but they can be shut down by a single silver bullet card or mechanic that is then run in every deck to get rid of them, meanwhile we have the "other" deck that has no real answer and people are forced to try and come up with half-assed solutions to an insurmountable problem and even when they use their "answer" card the deck still functions near perfectly and breaks the game

the fact that cat combo and marvel are basically the exact same deck just replacing 8 cards with different "hey I win the game XDDD" combos should tip of WotC that maybe they fucked up.

I see people clamoring for Ulamog to be banned but he really isn't the problem, while cast triggers on massive bodies that exile permanents were a mistake he is going to rotate soon enough. The real problem is Marvel, as long as it exists in the standard format without cards like Pithing Needle or Stony Silence we will continue to see oops I win strats revolving around the card
>>
>>53360666
The designers and testers at WotC don't understand core strategic concepts like playing a slow card advantage game, so it's only natural that they wouldn't recognise that a card would annihilate the existence of control decks.
>>
>>53360666
"Haha this is going to be really fun there is NO way that they're ever going to hardcast this, Timmy is going to go nuts when he plays with his friends and he finally plays this after 2 years"
>>
I'm actually going to read the MTG books. Like, all of them
>>
>>53360695
We have cards like Stony Silence and Pithing Needle. Gideon's Intervention is great. It's just super expensive. Dispossess is about the closest realistic answer for Marvel.
>>
>>53360733
First, cards cannot be balanced purely by having an uncastably high CMC. Aeon's Hip is proof of this all on its own. Second, we have one of the dribbling idiots at WotC going on record by saying how sticky with his own ejaculate he was at the sight of Liliana and Emrakul being on opposite sides of the board during a Pro Tour final.

It's definitely less 'here's a fun mythic for those dumb Timmys' and more >>53360711
>>
>>53360817
No fucking shit why are you telling me this
>>
>>53360747
>we have cards like pithing needle
>only it comes way to late and isn't really relevant since it doesn't turn off an already resolved Marvel

Dispossess doesn't really matter either
the only place it would be relevant is in some kind of black control list sine that is the kind of deck that can safely take off a turn 3 to cast the spell. These agro decks would rather just be developing their board and trying to pressure marvel so that IF they miss on the first spin then they can't recover.

Basically the best answer to marvel is to play the game as if they are going to not hit Ulamog on their first spin. The best way to play against cat combo was to play as if they didn't have it.
Sound familiar?

these cancerous auto win on turn 4 decks in standard are one of the biggest reasons for the lack of format diversity

the problem is that if you ban Marvel you will then have to deal with Mardu Vehicles again, most likely. Though maybe Zombies are enough to keep them away.

honestly though Artifact blocks are always complete cancer and I don't know why wotc continues trying to print overpowerd, undercosted, colorless cards and think it will turn out ok. No one likes artifacts, everyone fucking hates them. Stop printing them
>>
>>53360830
Well, misery loves company, but I also doubt most of the mistakes have to do with them just trying to make dumb Timmy cards.
>>
>>53360838
>Artifact blocks are always complete cancer
Agree.
>No one likes artifacts, everyone fucking hates them.
What magical fairy land are you living in where artifact-loving cunts don't infest every inch of your meta?
>>
>>53360890
we banned those people from my LGS because, like artifacts, everyone hates them too
>>
>2 deck format becomes 3 deck format
>everyone's ok with it
>>
>>53361245
It's forward, anon. It's something.
>>
>>53361245
>3 deck format backslides into a 1 deck format
JUST
>>
All I want is a viable cheap 2 colour aggro deck. If it ain't got haste, I don't give a FUCK.
>>
>>53361649
That would interfere with WOTC's master plan to make everything a midrange Planeswalker grindfest
>>
>>53361842
Oh Spike Jester where are you now ;~;
>>
>>53361649
RW humans is the closest you'll get.

If your opponent flubs and can't draw into a 1 or two drop removal spell or creature, you can deal 3 damage t2, and 17 damage t3, getting a t3 win.
>>
>>53361245
?? Marvel is clearly tier 0 now.
>>
>>53361245
>now down to 1 deck format

wew
>>
When is some one going to lose their fucking job over this horrible format?
>>
>>53362452
Incompetence isn't a sackable offence in the world we live in, where the people in charge have no financial incentive to perform beyond their salary.
>>
>>53359249
Would have been healthier if they had just stuck to fucking 3 set blocks and core sets.
What the fuck were they thinking.
>>
>>53363036
That they were done fucking up the third set. They kept tripping and couldn't make that shit work the way they wanted. Then they looked back at Lorwyn and Shadowmoor and saw that they didn't screw those up. Only rarely did the third set really impress. Stumbling because it was routine wasn't going to do much.

The Welcome Decks are as close to Cores as you're gonna get right now though. I was enjoying the original core set cards for a while there, though.
>>
>>53361245
3 deck format is about the best you can expect from standard given the low number of options.
>>
>>53363403
Yeah. Constructed always leans toward the more narrow choices.

If you draft or play Pauper or something, it's probably more diverse.
>>
Any ideas on 5c Bring to Light? Seems like a midrange deck full of answers and efficient creatures, but I haven't seen anybody talk about it.
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/instant-deck-tech-five-color-bring-to-light-standard
>>
I went 2-2 on Game Day with a very bad U/R Spells that I build using some cards I had lying around. At least I won a pack and got the Glorybringer.
>>
File: Game Day Deck RB Madness Burn.jpg (2MB, 3980x2620px) Image search: [Google]
Game Day Deck RB Madness Burn.jpg
2MB, 3980x2620px
Finally managed to win a Game Day event for the first time with RB Madness Burn. I feel like I lucked out heavily as I did not face any marvel or mardu decks at my store, with most of the players generally using home brew builds.

Went 4-1 in rounds and won in the top 8 to get this playmat and 27 packs

What do I do with the packs now?
>>
>>53364301
>27 Packs
Jesus christ, how much did you pay?

More important, where was the prize payout cutoff?
>>
>>53364799
$15 entry fee

1st place gets a box and 2nd place gets 18 packs, so we decided to split it. 3-4 get 12 packs and 5-8 get 6 packs

After that its 1 pack per round win and if you go 0-6 you get a consolation pack.
>>
>>53364909
Okay, that's actually a really really sweet prize set. Kudos to that store, honestly.

The place I went to charged $10, prize payout to the top 4, and with champion getting 6, 2nd getting 5, 3rd getting 4, and 4th getting 2.
>>
>>53365310
Yea they're pretty generous with prizes.

Sucks that the store is tiny though, so they are capped at 32 players. I don't even know if an event like this is profitable for them.
>>
Montreal had 17 Marvel decks in the top 32. Santiago had 15.
>>
>>53365459
Wait, hold on.

That means that of 32 players, an overwhelming majority of them are getting at least 2 packs, and even then if you go 0-3 or whatever, you're guaranteed something.

That's amazing. Where is this place and can I live there?
>>
>>53365924
my game day was free but there were no booster payouts. Top 8 got Glorybringer, winner got the mat, everyone got the bear promo
>>
>>53365961
That's also fine. Free game days are completely reasonable.
>>
>>53365924
Twenty Sided Store in NYC
Looking back at the pairings, 24 people won at least 2 packs, and the rest either went 1-x or 0-x and received one pack. For $15 its not bad
>>
>>53310382
This event pevents to a standard draft, so I'll ask here. Yesterday I went to my second draft. I have only played MT in drafts. I was asked for a DCI number when signing up. I hadn't needed one when I played the first time. Since I would never be at that store again I gave them a fake name. (Moving away, I'm actually at the airport now). In the middle of deck construction the store owner came over and asked whose name was entered as Hingle McCringleberry. I said that was me and then I was asked to leave. He said that he wasn't allowed to have anyone enter with a fake name.

Is it normal for giving a fake name when registering for a DCI number to be grounds to be kicked from a draft?
>>
>>53366809
>Is it normal for giving a fake name when registering for a DCI number to be grounds to be kicked from a draft?

Yeah.
If Wizards caughts the store filling places in tournaments with "fake people" they can get in trouble.
>>
>>53366809
>Hingle McCringleberry
he just made that up because he felt you were being disrespectful, which you were.
>>
>>53361842
Planeswalkers were a mistake.
>>
>>53367100
The guy behind the counter thought it was funny when I gave him the name. Store owner is a totally different guy.

>>53366876
Wouldn't it make more sense to change my name in the system?
>>
>>53365924
My store has at least one pack for all players at every event including 10 australian dollar fnm.
>>
This weekend's GP top 8s:

Santiago
3 Temur Marvel
2 Mardu Vehicles
1 RG Energy
1 Mono B Zombies
1 UR Control

Montreal
1 UR Control
1 BG Constrictor
1 Mono B Zombies
2 Mardu Vehicles
3 Temur Marvel
>>
>mfw i pull not one but two neheb the worthy from 3 packs total
welp mintoaurs it is
>>
>>53368569
>tfw no tier 1 madness minotaur deck named Mad Cow Disease.
>>
>>53368629
I wonder if you could do some kinda aggro grixis cycler/discarder with some minotaurs + drake haven, shadowstorm vizer, and a bunch of blue and black cycle/removal
>>
>>53368569
It's a shame there are only four playable minotaurs in standard and only one of them is decent if you don't draw Neheb.
>>
>>53368895
>>53368629

You can, like a -1/-1 counters deck,... But it is only limited/draft playable

There is a lot of funny arquetypes you can make use in both Kaladesh block and Amonkhet. The problem is that only 3 arquetypes are worthy in constructed standard. I don't know if it is because poor balancing, because with the internet netdecking and getting the best deck is quite too easy, or just that any arquetype is shit at least you fill it with good stuff. But, really, filling with "good stuff" regardless the mechanic looks like the best strategy right now.

I won Amonkhet pre-release with minotaur tribal, btw.
>>
>>53364909
>>53365310
weird, my store just does prizes with strictly store credit/cash. 5 dollar entry fees and every person entered is 7 in the prize pool. since my game day was real small, I placed first and won 20 bucks in store plus the mat, glorybringer, and he gave us all 2 trueheart duelist since there were so many extra.
>>
>>53369368
Re-read this >>53367932

Marvel, RG energy, Constrictor and zombies are all super synergy decks which leaves two very different styles of goodstuff decks.
>>
got the fullart glorybringer from draft after game day as a 1st place prize.
>>
>>53369410
nice. i had a guy trade me his promo glorybringer for a normal one because he didn't like the art on the promo. works for me.
>>
>>53369424
>now have 3 glorybringers
>only use 2 in my Humans deck and that's just filler for cards i'm waiting for

???
>>
>>53369424
same, liked the normal one more.
it's weird though. i thought the fullart glorybringer is just an enlarged version of the normal one because i saw a screenshot of it several months ago. maybe i'm remembering things wrong.
>>
>12 year old played Marvel at GD
>only hit Ulamog three times the entire day with spin2win
>ended up going 1-4
If I wasn't an adult I would have laughed in his face.
>>
>>53369472
dont worry anon, you'll be prepared for the RW Exert deck when HOD releases. pick up your always watchings and glory bound initiates while they're cheap.
>>
>>53369517
I've already got a playset of both, glorybringer is just there for VALUE while I wait for 2 more Garrisons.
>>
>Marvel won't be banned until September
>Heart of Kiran won't be banned until September
>They won't actually ban either and we're going to be stuck with them until the end of 2018

idk why anyone is getting/got their hopes up. Standard is fucked until artifact shit rotates.
>>
>ban Saheeli Cat Combo
>replace Saheeli with Marvel and Cat with Ulamog
>same amount of degeneracy but it's okay for some reason

Just ban the fucking Marvel and get it over with
>>
>>53361245
>3 deck format

You what?

Marvel is the only good deck in standard
>>
>>53369677
>posted before GP finished
>>
Zambies are super fun and simple. I'm enjoying myself more than i hoped for being a meta deck.
>>
would somebody take a look at this deck's mana base for me? it's the deck i won gameday with yesterday but i still worry about wonky openers, im not quite sure if i nailed it.

>>53340746
>>
>>53369628
win to marvel is easy enough in sidebord, and they dont always reveal the ulamog (like yuya in the protour)
>>
>>53373157
Things that actually deal with Marvel:

>Dispossess
>Manglehorn on turn 3, followed up by an artifact removal spell on turn 4.
>Negate
>>
>https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/standard-keeps-getting-cheaper

Have you all thanked MaRo for making Standard so affordable, /tg/?
>>
>>53369628
Ban all of the Kaladesh block, it was a mistake.
>>
>>53368895
>>53368569
>>53368629
>>53368967
>>53369368

Grixis Minotaur Cyclotron

Creatures - 24
-------
2x Ruthless Sniper
2x Shadowstorm Vizer
2x Neheb, the Worthy
1x Combat Celebrant
3x Merciless Javelineer
4x Metallic Mimic
4x Bloodrage Brawler
3x Minotaur Sureshot
2x Glorybringer
1x Curator of Mysteries

Instant - 9
-------
3x Hieroglyphic Illumination
3x Censor
2x Lightning Axe
1x Pull From Tomorrow

Enchantment - 2
-------
2x Drake Haven

Land - 25
-------
2x Canyon Slough
1x Fetid Pool
1x Spirebluff Canal
4x Evolving Wilds
6x Islands
5x Mountain
6x Swamp

Sideboard - 15
--------
3x Negate
2x By Force
2x Final Reward
2x Unlicensed Disintegration
1x Pull from Tomorrow
2x Shock
2x Magma Spray
1x Glorybringer

Thoughts? I'm gonna pile it together today and do some testing but any advice from you anons before I head to the LGS will probably save me some embarassment

(I don't have many multilands either but if that's a true issue I don't mind buying some, I'd like them for more serious decks as well)
>>
>>53373662
This looks like a complete mess. You're focusing on discard and minotaurs, and you can't do any of them well.
>>
>>53373662
that is just not gonna work. if you wanna do minotaurs, you have to do RB Madness, with neheb, merciless javelineer, bloodrage brawler, ahn crop crasher, whole fuck ton of burn including fiery temper and alms of the vein, hazoret, key to the city, bomat courier, etc.
>>
>>53374136
also forgot to include metallic mimic, theres not any other payoffs to playing minotaur tribal other than neheb, so this is the second best thing you can get.
>>
>>53374219
>Metallic Mimic with first strike
Wow, it actually seems playable now.
>>
so I just bought my first ever deckbuilding kit and got an Ulamog... How lucky am I?
>>
>>53374219
>>53374136
>>53374007
what about this? now its flying cycling grixis cows. there's value from the minotaurs, cycling and discard synergy for drake haven to help put you over the top, and your cows can get wings and bounce back trial of zeal.

Creatures - 18
-------
2x Neheb, the Worthy
4x Merciless Javelineer
4x Metallic Mimic
4x Bloodrage Brawler
4x Minotaur Sureshot

Instant - 8
-------
3x Hieroglyphic Illumination
3x Censor
2x Pull From Tomorrow

Enchantment - 7
-------
2x Drake Haven
2x Trial of Zeal
3x Cartouche of Knowledge

I think its probably worse but I like it more
>>
>>53375364
of whoops there's also 2 hazorets monument in there ctrl+c'd the wrong part of my notepad.
>>
>>53373292
>make standard incredibly shitty
>people leaving in droves
>Wow, I sure did a good job making it cheaper :^)
>>
>>53375364
Why would you run only 2 Nehebs? He's the best creature in your deck. I don't think you should use U at all, and Drake Haven is too slow for what you're trying to do.
>>
Who else /new perspectives/ here? I love the deck, but I feel bad for my opponents who have to watch me jerk off for 10-15 minutes.
>>
Went 2/2 on Gameday with this abomination I scrambled together. Feel like I could've gone 3/1 had I not been shit on by not drawing any mana at all.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/bant-humans-something-something/

>>53378108
I'm currently collecting the Cycling Lands for it. Not really going to feel bad for any meta deck right now, since Zombies is a boring snorefest, Marvel is bullshit and Mardu Vehicles is just retarded.
>>
>>53363630
Anyone? It seems really fun, and I suspect a G/W midrange will be one of the top decks of the format after Battle of Zendikar rotates out.
I mean, there's still 2 sets until it happens, but there's already plenty of tools for that, and more good cards are bound to be made.
>>
>>53379723
marvel will still be top dog
>>
>>53378108
I literally came here to ask how to make this deck under $100. I've played Yugioh competitively for like 3 years now, and want to try Standard over the summer while I wait for that game to stop being Zoodiac: The Meta: The Experience ft. Master Peace. I just want to be able to draw my deck and do memecombos at my LCS and learn the game better. (My only experience with magic so far has been a semester of borrowing my uni friends' Commander decks, so I'm not 100% new but obviously I've never played in a tournament or anything.)
>>
>>53379857
Without Ulamog? Only if they print some other stupid creature that can't usually be cast by conventional means.
>>
>>53379890
Anon, we're getting Bolas next set. You can bet your sweet ass that he'll be a gigantic, stupidly powerful monster of a Planeswalker for 8+ mana.
>>
>>53379965
Obviously, but that's not as good as exiling two permanents and having a 10/10 on turn 4. They hadn't designed Marvel to coexist with Ulamog for too long. And they obviously missed the interaction, but that's another history
>>
>>53379997
The main problem is that Hour of Devastation or Ixalan will need to have some serious boosts to any existing deck build to prevail against Marvel. Any big creature they release will just directly make Marvel stronger, Vehicles and Zombies both lose their most important cards and there's not really a Kaladesh or Amonkhet archetype that can properly keep up with Marvel bullshittery.
>>
>>53352557
Nah. They will save that for archenemy
>>
File: 22-05-17-mono-white-eldrazi.png (193KB, 600x813px) Image search: [Google]
22-05-17-mono-white-eldrazi.png
193KB, 600x813px
Thoughts on my build?
>>
>>53380028
Sure, but we'll have answers for Marvel and for whatever they print in the new sets. And nothing can be better than Ulamog.
>>
>>53379997
No, they designed it to coexist with Emrakul.
>>
>>53352557
Maybe as an Invocation.
>>
>>53356620
Main Dissenters. Worse case scenarios it cycles for 1.
>>
>>53380109
A card that has been banned because it's absolutely bonkers. And they've said that marvel with the current wording was a mistake.
>>
>>53379874
You could cut back on the cycling lands and include other cycling cards. You could also cut Traverse the Uvenwald and pray you nut into all of your Viziers, but that is much riskier.
>>
>>53357239
Thanks casual shitter I'll make sure to use my artifact removal after they play it activate it get ulamog and exile 2 things

Ha they'll feel pretty stupid about getting their artifact getting blown up after that

Faggot
>>
File: Decks GPs.jpg (27KB, 205x332px) Image search: [Google]
Decks GPs.jpg
27KB, 205x332px
>>53380104
>>53380028
>>53379997
>>53379965
>>53380109
>>53379890
>>53379857
>>53379723
>>53373220
>>53373157
>>53369677
>>53369628
>>53369618
Pic related are the numbers for both GP's (Santiago and Montreal) Tops 32 combined.

Top 8s:

GP Santiago
3 Temur Marvel
2 Mardu Vehicles
1 RG Energy
1 Mono B Zombies
1 UR Control

GP Montreal
1 UR Control
1 BG Constrictor
1 Mono B Zombies
2 Mardu Vehicles
3 Temur Marvel

Basically what these numbers mean is that:
-If you want a solid and safe deck, you play Marvel (hence the 50% of the field going for the safest bet)
-However the deck is not as obnoxious or "undefeteable" as /tg/, reddit and the rest of the EDH community makes it to be, since 50% of both top32 combined and more than 50% of the top 8 spots are taken by other decks. (UR control, Mardu and Zombies)
-If you take any of these decks, play properly and tech it correctly you can get good results out of it

Shit, even timmy shit like GR Energy got into T8 in the hands of a competent pilot with the appropiate techs. But I guess that's the issue because nobody wants to get good?
>>
>>53367932
Montreal was fun. Bring to light was funny as fuck to see almost make it finals.
>>
>>53380290
Yes, I completely agree with you. Marvel is good, really good, but we've seen it's not unbeatable.

I think most people would take the chance of probably winning on turn 4 instead of playing a grindier game, and that's the problem. Let's see how the meta reacts too it, I'm guessing every deck will run 4-8 answers to Marvel in the sideboard, and this might make the meta move forward.
>>
>>53380104
The only answer is bringing back split second.
>>
>>53380396
We have spells that can counter abilities or simply exile everything that's on the stack. Krosan Grip would be able to stop Marvel, but it doesn't prevent the guy from using it before passing priority to you.
>>
File: glorybringerpromo.jpg (52KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
glorybringerpromo.jpg
52KB, 265x370px
>>53380287
>>53357239
>>53357292
>>53357732
>>53358333
I know people is shitting on the guy for mentioning some cringe side deck options, but Manglehorn is SUPER legit

>Yesterday on Gameday Finals
>Im using GB Energy, opponent is using Marvel

>Game 1
>I win easly with Snek into Rishkar into Bristling Hydra curve, he DID activate marvel on turn 4 but only got 5 lands and something he didn't show me, he just conceded on the spot

>Game 2
>On turn 3 I drop manglehorn and I kill his gain life artifact
>Game extended several turns with him trying to remove my manglehorn but I protect it every time with Blossoming Defense
>Eventually I manage to fat him up with counters
>Dude got like +20 energy at this point and just cast Marvel, which comes tapped thanks to manglebro
>I cast another manglehorn killing his marvel
>this repeated 2 more times
>He failed to avoid lethal damage because Thopters enter tapped too
>Won easly

And the little guy also helped me defeat 2 other marvel decks and 3 mardus, it's an amazing card.
I managed to sold the playmat (really ugly) for a good amount and I wanted more promo glorybringers but nobody wanted to trade them.
>>
>>53310382
What's a good deck to build that will survive the 4 set rotation? Energy?
>>
File: 654654.jpg (30KB, 303x280px) Image search: [Google]
654654.jpg
30KB, 303x280px
>mfw there are people on /tg/ who can't even win a game day
>>
>>53380618
G/B Energy (gp top 8 results and several 5-0 mtgo results) and G/R Energy (pt top 8, gps t8, several 5-0s in mtgo) are solid decks and their core is 95% intact after the rotation.

The fact that any good deck in the last half year uses energy because it's fixing enables you to play 3 or 4 colors makes it a solid investment for the rest of the format.
>>
>>53380618
basically anything that doesn't play white for gideon.
>>
File: 1391601557707.png (913KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1391601557707.png
913KB, 1280x720px
>>53380659
>not playing the jankiest dumb stuff for gameday
>>
Is there any way to play Simic right now or going forward?

Emerge Simic was alright I guess but even that often wasn't really Simic and more "Kozi Return or bust: The Deck".

I really don't see Simic's personality in the current sets. Kaladesh didn't really have it in any coherent form, the color combination just being energy boosters and Amonkhet only having it in form of a random ramp creature.
Would love a Simic Control/Midrange deck with some big, dumb beaters that can work without Ulamog or any of the soon-rotating cards.
>>
>>53380809
Agreed.
>>
>>53335995
I had two in my main when Mardu was the shit. Moved to sideboard and replaced with Fling.
>>
File: 651256.jpg (41KB, 335x367px) Image search: [Google]
651256.jpg
41KB, 335x367px
>>53380809
>Not winning Game Day with the jankiest dumb stuff

My Wincon is the time limit
>>
>>53366022
damn im going there instead of Nebulous next game day
>>
>>53381023
>>53335995
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/645060#paper

This guy has gotten good results in MTGO with the red expertise.
Basically you need to get Marvel down to 10 or life, then steal Ulamog and kill them right away.
>>
>>53380659
sorry that I don't want a pay2win deck and would rather have fun. at my promo event A mardu deck that he bought JUST for standard play... lost to all the blue control decks that he sold some gideons and his entire standard deck, and bought a modern masters, pulled a foil lilly and a snapcaster mage in first two packs. Sometimes winning game day isn't worth a damn
>>
does nest of scarabs work if i put -1/-1 counters on the enemy creatures?
>>
>>53381856
Yup
>>
>>53360695
>the fact that cat combo and marvel are basically the exact same deck just replacing 8 cards with different "hey I win the game XDDD" combos should tip of WotC that maybe they fucked up.

100% this. The fact that temur energy midrange goodstuff with a random turn 4 combo has been the top deck through multiple bannings in multiple iterations is ridiculous, especially considering that marvel was top dog prior to saheeli. Midrange has never been healthy, and never will be healthy for any format.
>>
>>53381727
The opposite happens at my LGS

Many people tend to bring homebrew and Jank decks that end up beating out most
tier" decks that show up.

Top 8 at my LGS was:
2 Marvel
1 BG Constrictor
1 MonoB ZOmbies
1 Jund Gods
1 RB Madness
1 WB Tokens
1 Bant TurboFog
>>
>>53382162
>Bant TurboFog
Whoawat
>>
File: sandwurmconvergence[1].jpg (46KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
sandwurmconvergence[1].jpg
46KB, 265x370px
>>53382185
I guess its what the deck would be called

Basically the deck ramps and stalls with lifegain until it can either play a big Nissa that can Ultimate several times or this card.

The guy made it to top 4 as well.
>>
>>53382185
oh and it plays ulamog too

Still if you have a tier deck and aren't prepared to face jank decks that work, you are bound to lose.
>>
>>53342095

The worst instances of "top tier über cancer" were Urza block and original mirrodin, which resulted in tons of bans, including on occasion card being banned preemptively, like they figured out they were broken too late to change the design but early enough that they could avoid having standard ruined by them

Problem with Urza's saga is that there were soooooo many broken cards that despite banning like 10 different combo cards, the format was dominated by combo decks anyway, it's just the next tier down of combo decks. Instead of losing turn 1 or 2 to your opponents tolarian academy time spiral deck, you lost turn 3 to fluctuator combo
>>
>>53332069
Is GB -1/-1 popular? I brewed my own deck but I'd like to see other deck lists.
>>
File: rxUBnnOsOK.png (206KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
rxUBnnOsOK.png
206KB, 265x370px
how about those promos?
>>
File: 4jfEhASU2A.png (54KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
4jfEhASU2A.png
54KB, 265x370px
>>
File: 1475880796182.gif (2MB, 220x263px) Image search: [Google]
1475880796182.gif
2MB, 220x263px
Nothing triggers me more than losing to humans.
>>
If I haven't played since I got a khans intro deck when that came out, what should I do to get back in the game?
>>
>>53384667
Find a sweet deck and build it. Know that come the end of September the only sets in standard will be Kaladesh+Aether Revolt and Amonkhet+the upcoming Hour of Darkness.

If you want to play Standard on a budget you can play an aggressive red white aggro build, but don't bother getting the Gideons. You can get the new Gideon instead as a budget option if you want.
>>
>>53384725
Are toolboxes generally seen as unwise purchases? I've heard people say it's just bulk
>>
>>53384803
toolkits*
>>
>>53384815
I honestly don't know what's in them.
>>
>>53384803
If everybody could get a competitive deck using the toolkit, nobody would buy singles or boosters. A toolkit brings a lot of semirandom cards which comes from the FREE demo decks, and several booster packs. You will be better just buying singles you need or, better, attend to several drafting sessions in your LGS to get a hold of what you like to play and get some cards.
>>
Which GB deck is the most fun?
>>
>>53342095
Look up the history of Necropotence
>>
>>53385702
Counters easy. Delirium can go fuck itself.
>>
>>53386125
will counters be a thing when nissa's gone?
>>
Speaking of BG, can anything currently fill Ob's spot as the control matchup walker?
>>
>>53387254
I dunno

If only they just made another 5 mana black walker that grinds people out once it resolves (like every walker printed). They really missed an opportunity in Amonkek to print one.
>>
File: 234.jpg (57KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
234.jpg
57KB, 312x445px
>>53387254
You're gonna hate this idea at first but it'll grow on you.
>>
>>53388349
>marvel for poor people
Goes fun with Paradox engine though, cast you free spell, untap Vault, cast again. Until you get a land then you can go fuck yourself.
>>
>>53388626
It's more of a bad Phyrexian Arena that turns into a fantastic Phyrexian Arena. As a bonus your Constrictors take a turn off the build time.
>>
>>53388723
Yeah, skyship plunderers work if you're playing blue too. I tried making a deck based on that but I realised I'm bad at magic.

I've settled for UW Flash a-ah
>>
>>53384534
Much better art than the normal version
>>
>>53388349
i find it funny the colorless engines of amonkhet aren't utilized more. They max out at the 3 brick counters and are super powerful effect cards.
>>
>>53391268
They can be absolutely devestating in limited but with all the artifact hate in amonkhet, your opponent will just let you waste your turns getting the counters then destroy them leaving your balls bluer than Dovin Baan
>>
>>53386427
Probably, but if you're worried about rotation then Delirium would suck anyways and you'd be better off buying B/G energy.
>>
>>53384577
>come third running R/W humans
>win multiple games just by smashing my opponents so hard and fast that their answers won't save them

Feels so good.
>>
>>53310382
Is mono-blue metalwork colossus just a meme deck or could you get some wins in with it?
Keep in mind my LGS is pretty tryhard.
>>
>>53394541
i would recommend splash another color like black for more early interaction
Sanctum of Ugin is one hell of a card.
>>
>>53380888
Try U/G crush. The best version is probably the 4x splendid reclamation, pieces of the puzzle, contingency plan one, with seasons past and fogs.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170523-183316.jpg (188KB, 695x1023px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170523-183316.jpg
188KB, 695x1023px
r8 my boros exert build
>>
Amonkek.
Thread posts: 313
Thread images: 39

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.