[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mutants & Masterminds N00b Help Guide

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

File: mutants-and-masterminds.jpg (392KB, 560x420px) Image search: [Google]
mutants-and-masterminds.jpg
392KB, 560x420px
Recently me and my friends have picked up the Mutants & Masterminds 3rd Edition rulebook and the game sounds amazing in concept with literally no limit on what you can build. I'm just struggling to wrap my head around the simple stuff; making attacks, what's allowed within PL, ect.

It mainly stems from my understanding of 'Attack & Effect' in the rules it states that 'The total of your hero’s attack bonus and effect rank with that attack cannot exceed twice the series power level. If an effect allows a resistance check, but does not require an attack check, its effect rank cannot exceed the series power level.' So if for example the PL for the series was 5, my total hit & damage/effect couldn't equal more than 10 if I'm correct? My question is how do I calculate my hit roll and damage effect? Say I just wanted to hit someone with a punch could I roll just pure strength vs. their dodge? Or do I need to have Close Combat ranks in skills to do this? If that's the case then say I want to be an Avatar inspired Fire Bender and I take the Damage power can I just use my Damage Power for both 'Hit' & 'Effect' or would I need to take ranks in Ranged Combat?

Also an 'Effect' in the glossary counts as 'An aspect of an a power with a defined game effect' which seems a little vague? Does this literally include anything a power could do? Extending Limbs? Creating constructs? Running super speed?

I'm really looking forward to playing this game but I'm struggling to get the basics, I feel this is one of those system where once you really get into it that it's amazing but the rules have to vague since you can literally do anything.
>>
>>53309880
>I feel this is one of those system where once you really get into it that it's amazing
First impressions are deceiving.
>>
>>53309926
I'm assuming that you've played before then? Is it a bad system then?
>>
>>53309880
It's a pretty decent system. Maybe not as great as you think. But, for a quick run-down.

Your attack bonus is based in part on an attribute (Fighting for melee, Dexterity (or is it Agility?) for ranged. Then you add in any stuff like Close or Ranged Combat ranks, or the Close or Ranged Attack skill. Powers can also add to attack bonus if you use the Accurate modifier (+2 to checks with that power). So, attack bonus is built from many things.

Effect ranks are well...effect ranks and nothing else. And yes, pretty much anything which has rules for it is a power effect. You want to be stretchy? That's an effect. Shoot lasers? effect, etc. M&M works as an effect-based system, so you make a power not based on the subtle fluffy details, but only on what it does in-game. A guy with a rocket launcher versus someone who shoots bolts of telekinetic force are both using a ranged damage effect, but with different descriptors, fluff, and probably extras.
>>
>>53309880
To hit is Close Combat, which is based on Fighting and Ranged Combat is based on Dexterity, both Combat skills can be bought with pp separately from it. If you want the accuracy to come from the power itself, what you can do is buy the Accurate modifier for it.

The Damage you deal is an Power Effect, and Strength is used as one an can be also Stacked onto a Damage power (such as a Sword or Claws among dozens of other examples).

If you buy +6 in close combat to hit, you can have up to 14 damage if you are PL 10 because 14+6= 20.

An Effect is basically what happens from a mechanical perspective and "what you can do" with a Power's Descriptor. Fire can be used in multiple ways, damage represents its obvious use in hurting people.
>>
>>53310033

So let me see if I have this correct, one of my characters I'm thinking about is inspired by an Avatar style Air Bender who can move and manipulate Air at will. So here is the power & modifier combo I've gone for;

Move Object - Damaging, Perception, Precise, Subtle, Limited Material Air

So I can move Air based on my perception, it can hurt people and perform precise actions like opening and closing doors or a more violent solution of pulling the air of out someone's lungs. So my effect/damage is covered in this by making that a rank 4 power, meaning that my to hit roll can't exceed more than 4 either? So I could a combination of having 2 ranks in Dex (Which is the ranged attack ability) and 2 ranks in Ranged Attacks giving me a total of both 4 to hit and to effect?

I hope that makes some semblence of sense.
>>
>>53310158
I don't think Air would count as a Limited Material...it's literally everywhere. Limited material also means that your powers can only effect said material. If you wanted to damage someone with the Move Object, you could not have that Flaw.

Other than that it looks good, but keep in mind Perception doesn't require an attack roll and hits automatically as long as you can perceive them, and is also limited PL rather that Effect+Combat Skill.
>>
>>53310224

I would have thought limited material would include Air? Although it is everywhere it still limits to a single thing to manipulate, I'm sure the rulebook even makes specific note of Air as viable option under Elemental Control which is a sub form of Move Object.
>>
>>53310158
The perception range was already covered, but to correct your other mistake: if your power is rank 4, and you're PL 10, then you can have up to a +16 to hit. Since it is perception, you can have up to your PL in ranks.

I'd say that if you want to use your air-bending to suffocate people, that's probably an alternate power Affliction or similar. Could be done by an extra effort power stunt, or could be purchased if you expect do use it often enough.
>>
>>53310528

Ahh I see that makes sense, I thought for some reason I had to make an 'attack' roll to move the object and precise removed that, didn't realise it would auto hit enemies.

And we are only playing PL 4 to start with, we're basing our campaign on My Hero Academia so we're just high school kids that will slowly work up to PL 10 by the end of the campaign.

I also wanted to having a Flying Cloud like Goku's Nimbus in the original Dragon Ball and I came up with this;
(Flight - Platform, Gliding) +0.5 Points/Rank
(Speed - Limited to Only Usable During Flight) +0.5 Points/Rank

I think this works? The actual cloud itself doesn't let me fly but glide and I can manipulate the air around me to keep it afloat, much like Aand once again in Avatar. I didn't quite want to run full speed on the ground so if I get knocked down I'd be a disadvantage.
>>
>>53310298
Air is the Descriptor. If you can use the air to push or damage other than the Air itself (which is kind of silly, then its not Limited. Limited is when you can only move/affect a certain material or thing such as Earth or Fire (but you could still Damage people by moving said Earth or Fire into them.)
>>
>>53310728
Sure, that works. You could also model it as a minion/summon - there's usually a ton of ways to model a single effect in M&M.
>>
>>53310728
PL 4? Even the Hero High campaign stuff has the teen heroes at power level 8 minimum. Anything below power level 8 is going to be very, very limited for player characters. MnM isn't like DnD where you start from absolutely nothing and leveling is heavily focused on.
>>
>>53309926
It has its problems for sure (especially how certain things aren't explained properly at all). It's worse qualities tend to stand out when you try to look at it the same you would DnD.
>>
>>53310728
Bump for M&M thread. We don't have nearly enough of these.

I'm more used to 3rd ed, but if I remember right, you don't need Speed. Speed is running speed, you don't need running when you're flying. Also, gliding means you're not really flying just falling slow and with direction. Less airplane more paraglider.

Also PL 4? Pretty sure a normal human is PL 5. A kid with powers would still be at least PL 7.

If the thread is still up in twelve hours I'll find my 4ed books and answer all your questions.
>>
How badly would a game with a limited PL but with unlimited Power Points go? I am thinking of running a game in the future which the players are Greek level Gods and also a solo player who's gotten so powerful she's pretty much one. So that way they're not cheating, limit some powers based on their descriptors and ban some if necessary. Would that still be broken?
>>
Keep it going
>>
>>53314549
I really like this system but what you said is true.
The GM and the players need to agree on what type of game they want to play and what powers/characters are apropriate.
If you aim to make the most "efficient" and powerful character you can the system can be shattered easily. Classic problems of someone's power being OP so all the villains need some sort of countermeasure to let the other players do stuff. To the point that the OP power guy may as well not have that power so now THEY are under powered, ETC...
Basically if everyone writes their characters together and none of you are cunts it should be fine.
>>
File: 3e benchmarks.jpg (142KB, 667x897px) Image search: [Google]
3e benchmarks.jpg
142KB, 667x897px
>>53318168
>>
>>53309880
It is a weak imitation of Hero Games' Champions in many ways, but is definitely playable. Every group I know that has played it comes up with 'corrections' they feel were incorrectly done. 6/7 ended after less than 10 games, about the same % as D&D. The other has been going for 3 years. They have 3 pages of house rules and more that aren't written down.

The one big problem I have deals with Special Effects and the (to me) poor way M&M deals with same.

If you go to a convention this summer, check and see if anyone is running a game and get some play and contacts with other groups.
>>
>>53318168
I'm back. First I apologise, I'm adding a +1 to the editions. This is 3rd ed, I'm used to 2nd ed.

First you don't need Speed unless you want running in the ground.

Second
>>53310158
>Move Object - Damaging, Perception, Precise, Subtle, Limited Material Air
>So I can move Air based on my perception, it can hurt people and perform precise actions like opening and closing doors or a more violent solution of pulling the air of out someone's lungs. So my effect/damage is covered in this by making that a rank 4 power, meaning that my to hit roll can't exceed more than 4 either? So I could a combination of having 2 ranks in Dex (Which is the ranged attack ability) and 2 ranks in Ranged Attacks giving me a total of both 4 to hit and to effect?
This is all pretty much right, except that with the Limited Material, you can ONLY move air, you can't use the air to move the door, you can't use it to pick a paper of the ground. If you want to actually use it remove the limitation.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.