[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

JUGGERNAUT - Roleplaying during the Great War

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 16

Finally, I have finished.

JUGGERNAUT is a loose adaptation of the Stars Without Number role playing game (contains a number of other mechanics) designed for playing in a late 1800s/early 1900s setting. It can be described as historical or dieselpunk.

It also contains two optional chapters, one for magic and one for super science, depending on how dieselpunk or historically accurate or fantastical you want to go.

I've made this document because, up until this point, I have found absolutely no good roleplaying systems for one of the most interesting and dramatic times in history--the era leading up to and including the Great War. Some stuff came close, but didn't quite match. I present to you a modular, adaptable system for a broad variety of campaigns in this setting.

I will post the document in 2 parts (too large for /tg/). The second part doesn't have bookmarks because of reasons due to my pdf editor. However, I also have a link to the entire document on google drive, which, if downloaded, is fully bookmarked.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzQjCAyeIxwiOWJ3QnRlZ0lpNU0/view
>>
this sounds really fucking gay
>>
File: barksouls.jpg (61KB, 650x665px) Image search: [Google]
barksouls.jpg
61KB, 650x665px
>>53298886
interesting

go on
>>
File: Juggernaut 2.0 - Part 2.pdf (7MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Juggernaut 2.0 - Part 2.pdf
7MB, 1x1px
>>53298886
Here's part 2, containing various worldbuilding chapters and things for the GM.
>>
File: Record Sheets.pdf (379KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Record Sheets.pdf
379KB, 1x1px
>>53298959
And here are the record sheets.
>>
>>53298886
>one of the most interesting and dramatic times in history

this doesn't sound biased at all
>>
File: Rocketeer.jpg (877KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Rocketeer.jpg
877KB, 1920x1200px
>>53298975
Once again, all of the above are found in a single document in the google link. I hope you enjoy the product!
>>
>>53298886
Can I into dieselpunk colonial space adventures with this?
>>
does your homebrew have rules for ERPing?
>>
File: german space.jpg (248KB, 1280x765px) Image search: [Google]
german space.jpg
248KB, 1280x765px
>>53299013
Well obviously, I am going to produce media about things that I like.

>>53299066
Dieselpunk: Absolutely.
Colonialism: More than enough.
Space adventures: The aircraft rules and mechanics are readily adaptable for space adventures, and space as a possibility is touched under the "Additional Concepts" section of chapter 3, Super Science.

>>53299092
Bambi I know that's you.
>>
>>53299136
who is Bambi?
>>
File: WWI Cavalry.jpg (836KB, 2439x1659px) Image search: [Google]
WWI Cavalry.jpg
836KB, 2439x1659px
>>
>>53298886

Downloaded anon, as soon as I stop staring at cover pic's profile, I'll run a one-shot and report back to you.
>>
File: chinese pilot.jpg (61KB, 599x886px) Image search: [Google]
chinese pilot.jpg
61KB, 599x886px
>>53299239
Oh shit, dank. It needs playtesting so be sure to send word back, yeah.
>>
File: Pants (or a lack thereof).jpg (52KB, 609x960px) Image search: [Google]
Pants (or a lack thereof).jpg
52KB, 609x960px
>>53299267
>>
File: certified adventurers.jpg (63KB, 700x455px) Image search: [Google]
certified adventurers.jpg
63KB, 700x455px
>>53299319
>>
How many old-timey pictures do you have before you can't bump the thread anymore?
>>
File: officer.jpg (367KB, 815x1000px) Image search: [Google]
officer.jpg
367KB, 815x1000px
>>53299509
Mate I haven't even begun to tap my stash.

But I'm going to bed for now.
>>
>>53298886
Tiny annoyance, but the description for The Witch switches genders half-way through. I don't really care what pronouns you use to refer to players/characters, but can't you at least keep it consistent within each chapter?
>>
File: 80-Days.jpg (45KB, 640x380px) Image search: [Google]
80-Days.jpg
45KB, 640x380px
>>53298886
Just finished looking through. I'm tempted to run something inspired by 80 Days with this.

Pretty impressive for a 1-person project. It needs some editing and probably some playtesting, but looks quite polished. You could probably sell books if you simply replaced all the stolen art with historical photos/art or some cheap 1-color commissioned art.

Character creation seems quite quick, with lots of cool options and flavor. I don't really like the feats, a lot of them feel a too "video-gamey". I'd rather see the feats moved into an optional section, but they already feel fairly separated so it'd be easy enough to play without feats.

I really like the two magic classes. Probably my favorite part of the document. The progression, resource costs, and powers all seem pretty robust yet easy to use. I'd love to see more detail, maybe in the GM section. Tips on creating new miracles/potions/runes, ideas for how magic could interact with various cultures, lists of magical items, tables for generating magical items/people/problems. Flesh the magical stuff out a bit more and it would be great system for running something like a "secret witches of the Great War" or "elite anti-occult taskforce" campaign.

Dice mechanics and combat seem decent enough. Kind of weird that combat is D20 while skill checks use a 2d6 system. I'm assuming this is all just taken from SWN so I won't bother critiquing it too deeply. You should probably put the Systems chapter before the Equipment and Super Science chapters. Also, it would be good to have some short play examples for skill checks, combat, and air combat.

The plane and airship combat rules seem like an overcomplicated mess. Maybe some people would enjoy this kind of uber-crunchy wargame minigame. But honestly, even if I wanted to play a complex aerial combat, I'd rather just play a real tabletop wargame instead.

(cont)
>>
File: kino no tabi shizu.jpg (123KB, 800x553px) Image search: [Google]
kino no tabi shizu.jpg
123KB, 800x553px
>>53303072
(2/2)

The airship creation stuff seems pretty cool. Obviously a lot of it ties back into combat crunch, but I like how there's also plenty of fluffier options like research facilities, workshops, and ballrooms.

I know I probably won't convince you to do a total rehaul of the air combat, but I'd really like to see a section of alternative "simplified" vehicle combat rules. I don't want to have to keep track of altitude and momentum, and I don't want to have to deal with a bunch of different maneuvers and shit. It would also be nice if this alternative combat system was somewhat "universal", so I could use it for any type of vehicle combat: airplanes, airships, dreadnoughts, submarines, tanks, mechs, landships, moving cities, etc.

Tons of tables that seem decent. The nation tags in particular are great, lots of cool inspiration. You could probably use that stuff to run a Kino's Journey game.

Didn't look too closely at it, but the bestiary seems to have a good amount of content. I feel fairly confident that I could find usable stuff if the players decide to randomly wander off and fight monsters or pirates or whatever.

I wouldn't mind seeing a short chapter with a one-shot intro adventure. Bonus points if it's something like a prison break or ship attack that makes it easy to kick-off a campaign.
>>
File: infinite cartography.jpg (124KB, 800x612px) Image search: [Google]
infinite cartography.jpg
124KB, 800x612px
>>53301399
Yes, that is mostly an issue of the thing needs a little bit more polish.

>>53303072
>>53303090
Thanks! Lot of valid points and good ideas there that I'll take into consideration. A few comments and questions, though:

What about the feats, aside from a vague sense of video game malaise, puts you off? And yeah, the intent was to make it relatively easy to switch subsystems in and out without drastically affecting balance.

>Tips on creating new miracles/potions/runes,
>ideas for how magic could interact with various cultures,
>lists of magical items,
>tables for generating magical items/people/problems
These are all actually really great ideas and I already was mulling over an Occultism update for expanding powers and miracles.

>Kind of weird that combat is D20 while skill checks use a 2d6 system.
You are correct, this is all SWN. The intent is to provide a more randomized flat probability distribution to make combat more hectic, while a bell curve to make skills more reliable.

> it would be good to have some short play examples for skill checks, combat, and air combat.
Not a bad idea either.

>The plane and airship combat rules seem like an overcomplicated mess.
(and various complaints)
This was a big worry that I had about it, that it was too crunchy for the game otherwise. Alternate simplified rules, like I did for the weather, does seem like the best possible solution, but I really struggled with the idea of how to simulate three dimensional combat with any degree of accuracy. I'll on a universal vehicle rules system.

All in all, you posted an excellent view, confirmed a lot of my concerns, and make some great suggestions. Much appreciated.
>>
>>53298886
> The era leading up to the Great War
> Cover literally has a spitfire and hurricane on it

Fucking dropped.
>>
File: pose 2.jpg (70KB, 533x800px) Image search: [Google]
pose 2.jpg
70KB, 533x800px
>>53303072
Also, definitely not going to sell it. I swiped a lot of things from SWN--which, admittedly, is OSR, but also a lot of the GM tools and resource stuff--aside from the art.

Also as for commissioned art I have spent $0 making this aside from my own time and intend to keep it that way.
>>
File: bulletwright.jpg (87KB, 960x676px) Image search: [Google]
bulletwright.jpg
87KB, 960x676px
>>53303922
Then don't play with the aircraft rules you dolt
>>
>>53298886
Gosh I wanna use this, but I've got 3 Kevin Crawford/KC-alike games to run on my queue already.
>>
>>53303848
>What about the feats, aside from a vague sense of video game malaise, puts you off? And yeah, the intent was to make it relatively easy to switch subsystems in and out without drastically affecting balance.

Well, the obvious comparison is Fallout perks. You get a new one every level. And they do a wide variety of things: minor stat boosts, small useful abilities, quirky social effects, bonuses that only apply to specific items/situations, etc. There's no attempt at explaining why a character would suddenly gain these new abilities. And there's no real consistency: some are fairly powerful bonuses to combat and skills, while others are silly useless stuff.

Most of the "fluff" feats also seem like stuff that shouldn't actually cost anything. Performing magic tricks? Bartending? Having a loud voice? If a player wanted to do any of those, I'll say "sure".

On the other hand, a lot of the combat ones seem very powerful, to the point where you're starting to veer into 3.5/PF optimizations where players will say shit like "if you're making a character that fights using X, here's a list of mandatory feats".

With your current system, I would just completely remove feats if I GM'd the game. But I think there are a couple ways you could improve it to the point where I might consider using them.

Separate "quirks" from "feats". Let every player pick 2 or 3 quirks at character creation. Stuff like Striking Looks, White Sheep, Bookworm, Pyromaniac, Iron Gullet, etc. Come up with a bunch more quirks. Obviously, none of these should affect combat.

Get rid of the "raise skill from -1 to +1" feats. Why do those exist? Actually, just get rid of most of the non-combat feats. Maybe keep the feats that affect saves, and the magic feats.

Characters only gain a new feat on even-numbered levels. Less stuff to keep track of, and now the feats will feel more special.
>>
>>53309595
>>53303848
>I really struggled with the idea of how to simulate three dimensional combat with any degree of accuracy

Yeah, I think you're better-off just completely avoiding that issue. Maybe allow airships and airplanes to make a "sneak attack" if they start the battle from a higher altitude. But only wargame turbo-grognards will really care about keeping track of altitude during a battle.

I think dogfights are the only thing that might feel weird with a simplified system. Maybe you could do some kind of simple "chase" system? If you win the chase, you manage to stay behind your opponent and get a free shot. If the chase is a tie, both planes take shots at each other.
Try taking a look at the chase rules in Mouse Guard or Savage Worlds for inspiration.

>All in all, you posted an excellent view, confirmed a lot of my concerns, and make some great suggestions. Much appreciated.

No problem, you're making shit that I like! Do you have some google doc or a thread on some forums or something? I'd like to be able to check back in a couple weeks/months to see how this progresses without having to gamble on the existence of a /tg/ thread.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.