[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How would you run a game where your players compete in the olympics?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: 2017-05-17-13-19-31-80828666.jpg (8KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
2017-05-17-13-19-31-80828666.jpg
8KB, 275x183px
How would you run a game where your players compete in the olympics?
>>
If it's fantasy, turn them into a competitive Trials of Heracles.

The shit shoveling airs in smellovision
>>
>>53298021
I once played in a campaign where the gods chose champions to conpete to determine how much divine power each would get during the next era. All contests were done in an elimination bracket format, but each contest was designed to be something appropriate given whoch two deities' champions were competing. Some were straight up battles, while others were skill-based or required the most impressive/creative solution to a problem.
>>
>>53298054
>>53298165
What about literally the olympics?

How would you handle swimming? The 100 meter dash? Hurdles? Gymnastics? Rowing? Power lifting?

Surely all of these have just as much depth and nuance to them as any combat, no?
>>
Roll to place.
Top 3 place gold, silver and bronze.
Crit fails are banned for drug enhancements.
>>
>>53298021

Create a system that emulates sports mangas.

A big part of the game consist of training, social interaction between getting sponsorships and promotions as well as personal conflicts and of course the big game itself
>>
File: sp-ed-a-20150927.jpg (2MB, 3186x1870px) Image search: [Google]
sp-ed-a-20150927.jpg
2MB, 3186x1870px
>>53298021
I'm a one-trick pony, but that's okay.
>>
>>53298021
Heard of Challenge of Champions 1, 2, and 3. Was a series of adventures in Dungeon magazine. Had a theme similar to Olympics.
>>
>>53299485
I just spit coffee all over my desk, fuck you for making me laugh that obnoxiously.

I'm seriously a little annoyed with you right now.
>>
>>53299241
Those are all non-interactive shit.

Any tactics/resource management to be had would be math'd out beforehand, making those contests nothing but a glorified game of snakes and ladders.

Unless... unless you go full sports movie/sports anime and have the players keep making up backstory bits that give them the determination to win.

And then, when someone breaks the world record it turns out they are in the Matrix, like that Animatrix short with the runner and the agents are on their ass
>>
>>53298021
At least something in where my monk can feel relevant
>>
File: 1268497080693.jpg (12KB, 275x251px) Image search: [Google]
1268497080693.jpg
12KB, 275x251px
>op
This isn't something I've ever bothered thinking about.
I mean, it seems like the last thing a bunch of geeks gathered around a table would want to spend their time having a game about when you could have a campaign about fighting robot god dragons.

I mean, maybe for overweight middle aged guys who are nostalgic about their high school sports days, but I thought that was called fantasy football...
>>
>>53302666
You say that but look how well Blood Bowl taken off and is continuing to be going
>>
>>53302750
Idk man
On the one hand, point taken.
On the other hand, it's sports BUT FANTASY, also GW marketing power.

Can't imagine a game without either of those two components really taking off.
>>
>>53302750
Blood Bowl is still combat with weird rules.

Performance sports have no interaction. They are boring as fuck.
>>
>>53302796
That's why you make it with Wizards, who fight each other on the spiritual plane in order to better manifest themselves in the event
>>
>>53298021
I've run a tournament arc in my 3.5 campaign, and hell I can assure you that it was more work than I thought it would be.

It was just very complicated to come up with rules for every single kind of competition without making it amount to "roll dice, who scores better wins". Rather, everything took several rolls and if you used your head you could win even if your rolls weren't the best.

The tournament worked in a way that there were rewards for the top 10 competitors with the best scores, and scores were awarded in a contest-by-contest basis.
We had:
>a 5km marathon through the streets, with obstacles
>jousting
>1v1 melee
>sharpshooting
>team based gladiator duels against golems, but whoever got the kill got more points, even if you just stole it
>a team-based boat race where each team got a ship, sailed to an offshore island, grabbed an item atop an tower there, then raced back

It spanned about 3 game sessions, and we had 3 PCs on the top ten by the end, two on the top3. The 1st plrace was an arrogant NPC with a holier-than-thou attitute, literally crafted to be 1 of the 2 antagonists of the tournament arc; but he was insane and fun enough that the players actually grew attached to him in the end. He was literally Dio Brando

Anyway, just be ready to put a lot of work in if you want to do something similar. I know that by the end, I had several complicated excel sheets tracking scores, positions and rolls in several contests, advantages, penalties, disadvantages, boons, and whatnot. It was a little too much.
>>
They lose to Michael Phelps, so it doesn't matter.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.