[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 432
Thread images: 42

File: original.png.71.png (2MB, 1238x1631px) Image search: [Google]
original.png.71.png
2MB, 1238x1631px
D&D 5th Edition General Discussion

>Download Unearthed Arcana: Revised Subclasses:
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-RevisedSubclasses.pdf

>Official Survey on Unearthed Arcana: Revised Subclasses:
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/6a608a27c7c9

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
https://mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck (embed)

Previous thread: >>53284005
>>
Give me your best Mystic meme builds
>>
>>53293837
Half-elf sailor Mystic 20 :))
>>
File: Arcane Warden v0.08.pdf (4MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Arcane Warden v0.08.pdf
4MB, 1x1px
I'm about done changing things before playtesting this. If you are interested in commenting, and haven't seen me post it before it's an arcane paladin variant. I still have reservations on things, but I prefer to see what stands out to others.

Changed Hex for Nullification to Hunter's Mark. Cut 4 spells, added 7 'iconic' arcane spells to attempt to improve spell list feel.
>>
I want to run a game where players are giants. How do I do it?
>>
>>53293879
Don't allow halfings.
>>
>>53293876
The table says you get an extra attack at level 5, but it's not in the actual feature list. I imagine it's like the paladin and they only get 1, but just in case it's best to make sure it's clarified.
>>
Anyone do anything with Spelljammer in 5e? Seems like a neat setting to play with but I don't know very much.
>>
>>53293879
What kind of giants?
>>
Which classes are best for TWF?
>>
>>53293948
the Giant race. Hill, Storm, Fire, Cloud, Ice and Stone Giants.
>>
Hey /tg/, I'm looking for some advice.

I'm DMing for a large group (7, 8 on some days). For more than half the group, this is their first D&D experience. A problem I'm facing is that the players (even the "experienced" one) are acting very unrealistically. They curse at random townsfolk, the chaotic neutral barbarian (I know, huge red flag) assaulted a merchant in front of a guard, they expect every NPC has something to hide from them, etc. Ultimately, what my question is, is: is it ok to humble my party with a crazy powerful encounter? So far, the barbarian beat the shit out of a random street thug. The party is still level 1, would it be ok for that thug to hire a bunch of stronger thugs and just stomp the party? I plan to use it to set up another side quest, but I guess I'm wondering about people's opinions on encounters that the player's have no hope of winning, but also no hope of avoiding. It sounds like poor DMing to me, but I need some way to instill in my players a sense of danger and humility. Right now, they think they're on god mode.
>>
File: Arcane Warden v0.09.pdf (4MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Arcane Warden v0.09.pdf
4MB, 1x1px
>>53293936
Thank you, it was just a big oversight.
>>
This has probably been asked a thousand times but what's everyone's thoughts on the Mystic?
(Thanks to the guy who responded in the last thread)
>>
>>53293848
Breaking his leg seems harsh and would impede his ability to even get to the starting town. Putting him in debt presumably from travel expenses seems like a decent compromise. I might just wait until we meet and ask the other two if they're alright with there being a small power gap. Although, depending on how their characters end up, it might just balance itself out.
>>
>>53293985
Put your homebrew caps on. The obvious things should be:
>size Large or bigger
>adequate stat bumps (probably going to be higher than a simple +2/+1, especially when it comes to Strength and Constitution)
>a reason for a society like giants to come together, especially since different kinds of giants are among the most stratified
>>
Was asked by a player if there was any class or feats that would give you bonuses to hit or damage as you lost HP, but I can't think of any. Is there even a feat or class feature like that in 5e? I figured he was more used to playing 4e so he wanted something similar to how some monsters would get bonuses when bloodied.
>>
>>53294106
>Is there even a feat or class feature like that in 5e?
afaik no
>>
>>53294106
There are not. If you intend to let him have a bonus like that, you'll have to homebrew it. If I were you, I'd ask what he has in mind and how it makes sense for his character.
>>
What would happen if you modified the wording of abilities to include disadvantage? Ie, it must make a DC saving throw, with disadvantage, or x happens.
>>
>>53294075
What about classes? I won't really feel confortable with hill giant wizards running around.
>>
>>53294155
>>53294162
Thanks, was afraid I had missed something but I guess it just doesn't really exist in the rules at this point. I'll talk to him about making something that could work but its gonna be hard to balance it just right. He wants to be a feral attacker type, you know the cornered animal will strike wildly and such. Works maybe as an extra barbarian feature.
>>
>>53294164
It's non-standard format to say that a creature always does something with advantage or disadvantage, but you can if you really want to do that. Normally advantage/disadvantage is a conditional thing, like 'Enemy has disadvantage if they're a plant'.

>>53294106
No, but no reason you can't make up your own feats if you want to go against what's written.
>>
>>53294212
>Works maybe as an extra barbarian feature.
Like Frenzy?
>>
>>53294106
There are not. Make a feat, maybe +1 to hit and +2 damage to weapon attacks when you're bellow half your hp max, and +2 to hit and +4 damage for when you're bellow 10%
>>
>>53294208
No more than Half-orc wizards, in my opinion. However, having class restrictions for the different breeds would be something you lay out to the players.
>>
>>53293997
No, it isn't okay. Are they having fun? If the answer is yes, then it's okay that they play the game 'wrong'.

Let them find an adventure, and let the adventure be fun and exciting, then have someone die.
>>
>>53294229
Would it mean the ability would be too overpowered?
>>
>>53293997
Punish them, you fucking pussy. Are you the Dungeon Master or are you just a fanfic writer? Take control of those fuckwits or they'll never learn.
>>
>>53293876
You probably want to specify things just a bit more with that third part in Warding Hand. Are you choosing from all spell lists, or just the Warden's? Touch spells only?
>>
>>53294385
>>53294166
lol well put, I think this was the kick in the pants I needed.
>>
>>53294591
Good man, now go put the fear of You in those goddamn heathens.
Kick their asses and make them need the townsfolk they were just fucking with, and then have the townspeople shut them down until the party gets its act together.
>>
>>53294441
Thank you, added "on the target" like in the description for Dispel Magic.
>>
>>53294071
Do you not understand? In his backstory. You're upset that you gave him 125gp; just take it away.
>>
>>53293978
Ranger or Fighter, as they have access to the two weapon fighting style, although you could easily grab it for another class if you just put one level in fighter. The College of Swords UA for bards also good for duel wielding, as they get this style at level 3.

That's not to say you couldn't do it with other classes though, these ones just get the biggest bonus TWF wants fairly early.
>>
>>53294317
>>53293997

Its true that this game is supposed to be fun and, as DM, sometimes you just have to let them be stupid, violent pricks.

However

You should always give them consequence. If they commited a crime in front of a guard then the guard should be on his signal whistle and mustering the rest of the town guard. The townsmen should have told others about the event and the whole town becomes unfriendly toward the party. Remember that townsfolk are friends and neighbors to one another and not just static NPCs. Mothers should be guiding chdren away from them. Shop keepers, especially, should be refusing service.

The party chooses their adventure but if they commit overt crimes then the adventure they are choosing is outlaws and criminals.
>>
>>53294057
Seems cool, I like the whole build your own ability list thing they got going on, seems like you could have a party of mystics and they would all be different. That said it needs tweaks and balances, but other than that looks solid.
>>
>>53294929
college of swords is shit for dual wielding in it's latest incarnation

you can't use blade flourish and TWF at the same time
>>
>>53294057
It's pretty good. At my table we took away one of the bonus disciplines at first level (so you start with two, rather than three) and lowered the damage of everything over d6 by a step.

Does a lot to stop Mystics from outshining other classes in their preferred areas. They're still very versatile but they can't perform two or three roles at once while pumping out more damage than the Paladin or Rogue.
>>
>>53295336
Mind answering what Mystics do in your game? The disciplines they have, and what they tend to use, and to what effect?
>>
Are dao poweful creatures or nah senpai?
>>
>>53295383
We've got a full Immortal who has Psychic Weapon, the Air Wu Jen thing, and Celerity. He hits things and doesn't give a fuck, and occasionally we all hide behind his cloud wall and bonk enemies who stumble through.

Our Paladin MCed into Mystic for Mantle of Command and some Nomad shit for teleporting all over.
>>
>>53295483
>18 AC, ~200 HP, 2x +10 4d6+6 attacks, wall spells, summoning elementals, phantasmal killer, pass wall
>rich as fuck
Yeah, they could wreck a low level party if you played 'em smart.
>>
File: Scaling Magic Items WIP.pdf (707KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Scaling Magic Items WIP.pdf
707KB, 1x1px
Anon's high powered growing magic item Quest Continues!

>http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/S1m7nEU8eZ

>Loreweaver
(Anyone have a better idea for a final form improvement instead of the dice size increase?)

>Deceit
Changed the critical hit charm effect to a sanctuary like ability.

>Distract & Deceit
Clarified the wording on the magic bonus to the weapons.
>>
How would you make a custom background for a slave?
>>
>>53295533
What about a higher level party?
>>
>>53295662
Depends on the type of slave.
>>
>>53295707
Anything is shit against a med-to-high party if it comes in alone.

Dao are rich, powerful, important and sought-after by other rich, powerful, and important people. You'll never encounter them alone.
>>
>>53295662
Your choices are farmer, peasant farmer, beggar, child bearer.
You die of the plague.
>>
>>53295662
>Proficiencies: Sleight of Hand and one other depending on the type of slave (like Athletics for manual labor or Deception for concubine)
>Tools: Thieves' Tools?
>Language: One bonus language tied to whatever the captors spoke
>Feature: Can draw a tool or improvised weapon out of your bum once per long rest, or maybe something like the Rogue's "Thieves Cant" ability except used for slaves
>>
File: dark sun gladiators.jpg (153KB, 640x557px) Image search: [Google]
dark sun gladiators.jpg
153KB, 640x557px
>>53295662
BLOOD AND GLORY FOR THE SORCERER-KING
>>
>>53293978
Honestly I'd say a Kensai multiclass. Take 2 levels in Ranger with TWF and then you're basically a normal Monk except a bit better damage on your offhand.
>>
>>53294955
Yeah, I (who you are replying to) agree with this.
>>
>>53294382
Depends on the ability, but usually yes, permanent disadvantage is rather strong. There's a reason it's conditional.
>>
>>53295662
You start with a wooden shield (barrel lid), and a club (wooden stick). You have proficiency in drums and dice to pass the time. You have a set of wooden dice. You have proficiency in Athletics, and Survival.
>>
>>53295736
This really needs to be changed, legendary actions notwithstanding. Challenging solo enemies should be a thing.
>>
>>53295721
I'm thinking of the type of slave being determined by table, like the criminal or charlatan backgrounds.

I don't quite know what skills would work for them, but a language proficency and a single other tool proficiency could work, like those of guild artisans, or an instrument, or a gaming set.

This should be a background for either former or current slaves.
>>
Alright, my Wizard finally met his rest while trying to play Fighter on the front lines. d6 hit dice make it pretty hard to survive on the front lines, even with 23AC.

My two back up characters are both really tempting to me and I really can't decide.

First is a Lizardfolk Light Cleric. Likely full Aztec style worship except more civilized.

Second is an Elven Mountain Druid who is basically going to be refluffed in some aspects to make a character with basically the same powers of Nahiri from mtg. Stone shaping and lithomancy basically. My DM's already said that he'll allow weapon and armour to be made with Stone Shape so that's cool.

What would you rather have in your party?
>>
>>53294955
(original poster here)

Well put. The barbarian did get caught and thrown in jail for assaulting the merchant. I'm currently debating how long they should sit in there and if there should be any consequences beyond the jail sentence. She's been playing chaotic random, so I kind of want to demonstrate that there is a limit to how "random" you can be in certain situations.
>>
>>53295917
It's easy:
you give the creature multiple initiatives.

If it has multi-attack, it can only take one swing (or whatever) per initiative. If it has spells, no back-to-back casting, but something with four initiatives would manage two spells in the round (and with three initiatives, it'd alternate one, two, one, two).
Its per-round movement can be parceled out over however many initiatives you like.
Effects which say a creature can save to end on its turn can be saved against every initiative.
Remove one of its initiatives when the creature reaches some health threshold to simulate it being worn down (or add one if it's going into some desperate frenzy).
>>
>>53295977
Why did you do that? Go to the front lines and pretend to be a fighter?
>>
>>53295998
I spent time, feats and spells to give myself a high AC and defence because the rest of the party is melee.

I just wanted to hang out with the cool kids.

A Cultist of Talos's Lightning Bolt is what killed me in case you're wondering.
>>
Any tips or things I can do to make map-making easier?

I play on roll20, and doing the maps are always a giant pain in the ass.

Likewise, running the Sunless Citadel for a bunch of nearly new players. Anything I should know about the story? I hear it's really good for baby-tier players, so I figure it'll be perfect for them.
>>
>>53295977
Better characters
>>
>>53296042
Care to at least offer a suggestion?
>>
>>53296037
If you weren't a bladesinger you probably shouldn't have done that, especially because you're so much squishier than a dedicated martial.
>>
How the hell are you supposed to run the giant invasion at the end of the second chapter of SKT?
>>
>>53296093
Yeah, I learnt a valuable lesson. First time playing 5e and I came from mostly classless systems, so I didn't expect the gap in the ability to take hits to be as big as it was.

Though thinking about it even if I cowered at the back the Lightning Bolt would've likely killed me. I was kinda getting bored of Wizard anyway so no big loss.
>>
>>53296039
>map-making
There are no good battle map makers. None. They're all shit for different reasons. You can't use one for every situation, the clashing art styles (even within one) will drive you mad, and all the tools aren't there to do what you want to do.

Just draw basic frames and shit in roll20 or paint and theatre of mind the rest, nigga. Yeah, here's a temple, this is the carpet, here's the throne, these are the pillars, there's two doors over there. What else is in the room? Whatever the fuck you want, party. Yeah, sure, braziers, there's one within reach of you, go nuts. Some kind of ceremonial goat head on a stick? You know it, go ahead and Chingachgook that motherfucker with it. Something to swing from? Of course there's tattered tapestries hanging all over the place.
>>
>>53296039
For my games I usually just snipe a bunch of the flipmats and map packs from the /pfg/ archives, convert the PDFs to jpgs, then upload them to Roll20. Gets a little trickier if you're trying to splice a bunch of elements together because the sizes aren't always consistent, but if you have a grid overlay with your image editing software of choice it makes it easier to line up the boxes.
>>
>>53296147
Well the wizards and the other arcane spellslingers are meant to be more about area damage or battlefield control or utility and shit like that.

How are you finding 5e?
>>
>>53296142
The party picks one to go and stop. You can't be everywhere. Hopefully the rest of the world has their shit together.
>>
>>53296255
I like it, it seems very "Classic Tabletop". Like what people who know a bit about games would first think of. Exploring, tense fights, social stuff and enough options to keep things interesting.

Also the system makes it easy as fuck to just hand-wave and improvise actions instead of looking in Rulebook 2C chapter 5 to find out if I can spin around in a circle without making a check. I love rules light after some of the games I came from.

I was never big on D&D growing up so I'm wondering, what are the main roles that Clerics and Druids fill?
>>
My friend wants to play a Hexblade.

Obviously he doesn't start with the Sentient Weapon, but how on earth can I use it as a plot device for him?

I mean what would a sentient weapon even want him to do? Other than "come wield me nigga"
>>
>>53296336
Take revenge on the villain that slew its former wielder. which may or may not be the former wielder himself after turning into a baddie and getting disowned by the weapon
>>
>>53296336
Fighting. It's the obvious one but a weapon's reason to be is to fight, it's reasonable that this thing just wants to watch him murderfuck awesome stuff and fight.

The weapon could be the anicent weapon of someone. A saint's sword, a warlord's spear or anything like that. It would effectivally be a regular patron except in weapon form then.

A giant death weapon. Secret self-destruct the gods made or an orbital death laser that's going to pull a sci-fi thing into the plot.

Could even be a mighty sword trying to make martial superiority a thing even if it needs magic to do it. The sword's likely retarded.
>>
>>53295981
Ask the group. Do they want to break her out? Tell them explicitly they'll be outlaws if they do.

If they don't, it's bye-bye barbarian. Tell the player to roll a new character.
>>
File: ku-xlarge.jpg (30KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
ku-xlarge.jpg
30KB, 640x360px
>>53296412

From a certain point of view.

>>53296422

I was thinking it might be a good sentient weapon that is just trying to guide him down the path to wielding it.

Then it gets really fucking disappointed because he's a Goblin and the weapon didn't know
>>
>>53295981
I feel like it's worth noting that the party is level 1, so I don't think a jailbreak in Waterdeep is very likely. Of course if they want to do that, it is an option lol
>>
>>53296444
(original poster here)
(sorry, responded to the wrong post)

I feel like it's worth noting that the party is level 1, so I don't think a jailbreak in Waterdeep is very likely. Of course if they want to do that, it is an option lol
>>
>>53296336
The weapon is famous in history, like Excalibur, everyone knows it. However it was once known to be wielded by a powerful god, more like Mjolnir. The god of this weapon received all of his power from worship, and praise, but as time went on, his portfolio became more and more obsolete as time times went on, and eventually he faded away into obscurity.

But the weapon had a story much more like Excalibur, a famous weapon that could grant all a man wanted, but one that no man could ever find. The near dead god's consciousness sitting in a metaphysical plane of existence out of desperation decided to inhabit the weapon, and in effect become reliant upon the people's worship, and observation of the story of the !Excalibur. However, he is now barred from ever entering the physical world, as the people believe the weapon can not be found, the rules of godhood prevent him from acting in a manner contrary to what people believe.

Now YOU, the player have been contacted by this God. Your quest: convince the people the weapon can be found, and that you will be the one to wield it.
>>
>>53296473
>Then it gets really fucking disappointed because he's a Goblin and the weapon didn't know
That's golden.
>>
>>53293727
May I ask for any advice for someone with dyslexia and retainment issues that wants to Dungeon Master?
>>
>>53295977
>First is a Lizardfolk Light Cleric. Likely full Aztec style worship except more civilized.
There ain't no such thing as "except more civilized" to Lizardfolk anon, and making it so is the pussy route. Anon, so help me Tonatiuh, you are going to carve something's still-beating heart out with a jagged tooth-dagger and drink/bathe with the contents, and you are going to like it, or you will be sent to your room and never given divine guidance again.
>>
>>53296673
>retainment issues
what
>>
>>53296673
>retainment
Buy a notebook and write shit down. Create a constructive web of things that you can make up shit from as you go a long but try to have a basis for everything, if you forget something or are unsure about an environment, character just go back to your notes.
>>
>>53296737
Information that I learn goes in, but not all of it sticks.
>>
>>53296752
bro that's the human condition
>>
>>53296673
WRITE. DOWN. EVERYTHING.

If you have good players that can roleplay without you staring at them even better, you can write down details as they talk. Never feel embarrassed about having to write stuff down as a DM, it's really what you should always be doing.

Only issue with that is your spelling, but that's something I've always wondered - if you read over your scribbled, spelling mistake filled writing is it perfectly clear for you or do you still struggle?
>>
>>53296673
I think >>53296744 has the right idea, but I've also seen GMs hand out the "notetaker" responsibility to someone else in the group (since he usually has a lot on his plate already). Have someone record the events of the session as you go through it and send the notes to you afterward.
>>
>>53296744
Thanks, I figured as much. I bought myself a swanky leather notebook just for my notes while learning/running a game.

>>53296780
I can usually keep up with spelling/reading if I devote all my energy to it. I've always loved writing despite rather it be good or bad, creative writing. I have a feeling my notebook is going to be filled with the small rules, the number crunching rules too.
>>
>>53296828

Don't let your notes get in the way of your game, the ability to keep being creative is the most important but having a good scaffold doesn't hurt even the people without dyslexia and retainment issues.
>>
File: IMG_4068.jpg (44KB, 260x334px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4068.jpg
44KB, 260x334px
What would a 5e version of Legends and Lore look like?
>>
>>53296333
>what are the main roles that Clerics and Druids fill?
Healing and support, mostly. Depending on the archetype, a druid could have a more direct role, as a Moon Druid for example. Also, a lowish-mid level Cleric has one of the best area denial possibilities. Park your Heavy armour + shield-wielding ass in a chokepoint, cast Spirit Guardians, then Dodge and cast Sanctuary the next turn.

Enemy walking in to hit you has to succeed on a WIS save or take 3d8 radiant/necrotic, then has to succeed another WIS save to even hit you. If it doesn't fail that, it now has to hit your 19+ AC at disadvantage. And every turn it starts in your Spirit Guardians radius is another 3d8 damage save.
>>
Are there any big problems with having a large-sized player character race?
>>
>>53297106
Doors and halls made for medium or small creatures could be completely inaccessible. Having the Centaur sit outside the dungeon because the door is small is pretty sucky.
>>
>>53297106
this >>53297140

If the door is medium-sized, you can fudge it by saying they have to get down real low and it's embarrassing and awkward for everyone.
>>
>>53297178
Squeezing for a whole hallway during combat would be extremely unfun for the player if something like that happened.
>>
>>53297106
it makes grappling more powerful. You have trouble going indoors. you have disadvantage with small weapons and large weapons cost a lot to start and are more powerful. 5ft tunnels are an issue for you. Disadvantage on a lot of checks. Not recommended as it gives a lot of combat advantages and makes routine things a pain.
>>
>>53297226
I didn't say it was a perfect solution.
>>
File: 1372715394417.gif (817KB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
1372715394417.gif
817KB, 400x225px
So let me know if this is a bad idea or if I can make this work.

Bear totem Barb/Immortal Mystic.

So in the UA they say 'Psionics is a special form of magic use, distinct from spellcasting' meaning I would be able to use Psionic Disciplines and Talents while raging. This means Brute Force, Psionic Weapon, Celerity, or any other ability that doesn't use concentration.

Bear totem spirit also gives me resistance to all damage at level 3. On top of all the health I would be regenerating and if I used Tough Hide for the additional +2 AC I could be nigh unstoppable.

This would be a little MAD but as long as I have a high CON I think this could work.
>>
>>53297106
Downsides:
Squeeze into medium spaces (disadvantage to hit, advantage when being hit), no horses, poor cover, poor stealth (from not having enough cover), increased armor cost, having more squares that can be surrounded.

Upsides: Grapple huge, powerful build, threaten more squares

I like homebrewing large races, and having the double edged-ness be a part of the game.
>>
How often do your guys' campaigns actually involve a Tarrasque? I've never actually had our DM use one in the three campaigns we've played, no matter how high level we get. Isn't it a staplemark of most DND campaigns?

Pardon my ignorance of all things DND
>>
>>53297341
Here's the thing your ignorance of D&D is really missing: D&D games don't go very long/to a very high level. That's why there's people who want to start at 3rd, or higher, because they want to try and get to a high level for the first time ever.
>>
>>53297272
Yes, RAW it works, but then you'd be multiclassing with UA. Also, since there are no rules attached to multiclassing a Mystic, you're technically unable to do so.
>>
File: 1459208291612.jpg (145KB, 700x765px) Image search: [Google]
1459208291612.jpg
145KB, 700x765px
>>53297341
I've played some twenty+ years, and never seen a tarrasque in play. It's a monster that you really only should see at very high levels, and for the most part that's usually where D&D breaks down and becomes less fun for me and my friends.

Since I typically play between levels 3-15, a monster like the tarrasque just isn't likely to be seen, regardless of what edition I play.
>>
File: Winter town - night.jpg (276KB, 1000x700px) Image search: [Google]
Winter town - night.jpg
276KB, 1000x700px
>>53297433
As a DM I used a Tarrasque once and only once. It was on a journey and just casually walked through everything in its path, so the players ended up evacuating towns and shoring up against the disaster that followed in its wake.

It was like they were playing Fantasy FEMA.
>>
>>53297238
Is it reasonable for a creature on the upper limits of medium to be able to swallow other medium creatures?
>>
>>53297458
I would say no, just because you are 7 feet tall doesn't mean you can eat a 5 foot tall man
>>
So I've got a sorcerer/rogue with warcaster, so he can opportunity attack booming blade.

But his left hand is always empty and I feel like I should give him something to use, even something as simple as a dagger. But he fights with a rapier and I don't feel like grabbing dual wielder feat.

What's a good use of his left hand, since I don't need to worry about somatic components?
>>
>>53297458
No. But if it's something like a giant snake, then sure.
>>
>>53297272
But until hopefully later this year when hopefully the Mystic will be released officially in a book you can't because UA.
>>
Is the paladin/sorcerer the best multiclass build?
>>
File: flying-tarrasque.png (73KB, 480x715px) Image search: [Google]
flying-tarrasque.png
73KB, 480x715px
>>53297341

I don't know why you would put a tarrasque in a campaign, honestly. It's just a big dumb monster that's hard enough to kill that you're going to waste more time on it than you really should on a random monster.
>>
>>53297504

Just leave it empty. Empty hands are good for climbing or grabbing levers and other stuff.
>>
>>53297504
A hand crossbow.
A second rapier, in case the first gets disarmed.
A wand.
A potion.
A weapon that deals a different type of damage, for when you encounter something resistant to piercing.
>>
>>53297341
I plan to use one in a campaign coming up but reflavor it to fit my purposes into a different being entirely.
What everyone has said is true, it's pretty rare for most campaigns to see high levels. And even then, a level 20 character can get absolutely stomped by a tarrasque. They're often used as set pieces rather than something that is intended to actually be fought.
My players likely won't even be expected to kill one. Just do enough damage to convince it to return from whence it came. And again, it won't actually be a tarrasque aside from stat block.
>>
>>53297541
Yeah, so far he's been keeping it open for the purposes of making use of his fast hands as a thief as well. Throwing things like flasks of oil which he then uses green flame blade to ignite on people. Guess I'll just leave it open.
>>
>>53297528
Can make for a pretty cool quest if the players know what they're gonna go up against.
It, like other legendary monsters, are things that I feel like players should spend a great deal preparing for.

If it's a random encounter that's kind of bullshit if you expect them to actually kill it. Random, as in, you throw it at them suddenly.
>>
>>53297527
Paladin Warlock is better, Fighter Sorlock is the best for Eldritch Blast memes, and Barbarogue is the best grappling/shoving build.
>>
If I had an arcane trickster, would it be possible to use mage hand in conjunction with the rune scribes rune writing? So I can just sneak up behind someone and write the combust rune on their clothing and all of a sudden they're just ash.
>>
>>53297562
Almost all your shit necessitates grabbing Dual Wielder, which he doesn't want to do. Pls into reading comprehension.
>>
Which is the best archetype for tanky fighters?

I'm leaning towards eldritch knight for shield or samurai for the temporary resist-all
>>
>>53297689
Eldritch Knight for sure. Shield and Absorb Elements is a great combo when paired with shields and heavy armour.
>>
>>53297624
No, none of that requires grabbing Dual Wielder.
You can hold two non-light weapons just fine without feats so long as you only attack with one in any given attack action.
Please into rules comprehension.
>>
>>53297689
Eldritch Knight without a doubt.
>>
Does anyone else find creating monsters in this edition to be simultaneously freeing but also challenging?
Freeing because you actually have creative freedom to make whatever the fuck you want, but also challenging in the sense that it's easy to make bland ggeneric monsters and it isn't easy wrangling that retarded wording they use in 5e.
>>
>>53297701
>>53297737
Do I need any spells that actually need my casting stat?
>>
>>53297767
Having an AOE spell is handy for giving yourself more options, but you can easily get by with just defense and utility.
>>
>>53297516
....what about a catfish?
>>
>>53297526
>>53297419
So I'm thinking because it's main stat is INT why not have the requirement just be INT 13 like Wizard
>>
>>53297702
>I feel like I should give him something to use
It's implied that he would like to use whatever item is held in his off-hand. If your suggestions are valid, then he could hold a greatsword as well. He otherwise wouldn't have specified the fact that he doesn't want to take the feat. Pls into not being autistic.
>>
My roll20 campaign exploded because of 2 those guys making up half the party. The four of them have been asking where I've been but I keep ignoring them. Is it wrong of me to hope they eventually go away? I actually liked the other players as people but I know if I acknowledge one they'll know I'm ignoring the others...
Or should I just be like I'm tired of that guy 1 and that guy 2's shit and infighting struggling to steal the spotlight, one of you guys pick up DMing.
>>
>>53297760
The guidelines in the DMG for making monsters are pretty open and transparent. Combined with how the numbers tend to stick relatively close together even as you level up, it's ridiculously easy to the point that I already don't even need the Monster Manual anymore.
>>
>>53297848
You accidentally a lot of words and grammar.
>>
>>53297811
That would be the logical step. I think they either wanted to make sure the class was ok on its own before considering multiclass rules or, knowing WotC, it was an oversight.
>>
>>53297844
Which is why I suggested things that would have uses when off-handed.
>>
>>53297855
Yeah it's great that you can basically make up new monsters and variant monsters on the fly and really quickly. It's fucking nice after PF.
>>
I want to play a racist dwarf who blindly hates all elves.

What class would be best?
>>
>>53297983
Either fighter, cleric or barbarian
>>
>>53297983
Literally any class, retard.
>>
>>53297983
I would avoid Bladesinger.
>>
>>53298038
He literally can't be a bladesinger, retard.
>>
>>53298089
that would be the joke
>>
What are good enemies for lvl 1 characters?

I don't want the normal schtick of Kobolds & Goblins.

What are some unique, standout enemies that don't get play because they're so low level?
>>
>>53298120
That you're a retard. Yeah, you're a joke alright.
>>
>>53297983
ranger with favored enemy being elves.
>>
>>53298089
>>53298129
>Your DM can lift this restriction to better suit the campaign. The restriction reflects the story of bladesingers in the Forgotten Realms, but it might not apply to your DM's setting or your DM 's version of the Realms.
>>
>>53298121
depending on the difficulty you're looking for, you could try throwing one or two CR 1 monsters at a party if they kind of know what they're doing.

For instance, Death House uses Animated Armor and a Spectre as level 1 encounters.
>>
How much damage do suplex and other grappling move do?
>>
If you were a cleric of the forge what gods would be the most interesting or logical for you to follow
>>
>>53298194
Hephaestus
>>
Best class for murdering the shit out of back line casters?
>>
>>53298213
Shadow Monk mixed with rogue.
>>
>>53298170
No DM who isn't a retard will allow that. You're still a massive joke.
>>
>>53298179
They do. I'm gonna peel through Volo's to see whats new but I really wanna give them a good experience against some spooky monsters.
>>
>>53298194
Moradin for true dwarfy goodness.
>>
>>53298279
Do tell.
5e needs more spoopiness.
>>
File: AVGN.jpg (11KB, 318x325px) Image search: [Google]
AVGN.jpg
11KB, 318x325px
>be dex fighter in AL
>get horribly screwed with magic weapons cause your weapon pool is tiny as shit
I'll have to actually spend my downtime days finding a magic weapon (rapier) just so I don't have to worry about this shit anymore, and this character is nearing tier 3 (level 11+) where the majority of shit will require magic weapons to even damage.
>>
>>53298232
To be clear, you mean no DM would allow a non-elf to be a bladesinger?

If you're playing outside of forgotten realms, especially homebrew, they'd have to be retarded to impose that restriction unless there's a good reason in their setting to do so. Why limit player fun? It's not hurting anyone.
Dwarvish axe-singer sounds fun. Just so long as they don't prance.
>>
>>53298307

If I were your DM I would just throw you a bone and have the next horde have a rapier just for you.

I mean, why not?
>>
File: spooky.gif (3MB, 230x173px) Image search: [Google]
spooky.gif
3MB, 230x173px
>>53298279
Specters, wraiths, and shadows I find usually spook my players pretty good.
Also skeletons.
It's even more fun to have the skeletons seem inanimate until the opportune moment. They poke them, nothing. Just when they think they're safe. Doot doot.
>>
>>53298333
AL rules, but then again we could just fake it and say I ran an adventure that gave out that specific item and then write off on it, as long as it's signed off on by the DM, nobody cares.
>>
The wranglers really fucked up by letting the tards loose for this long.
>>
>>53298308
The restrictions are there because it's specifically elven related magic, there's no stopping you from renaming the thing to be included in the severely autistic shit that's your own game.
>>
>>53298381
Is that why you're free.
>>
>>53298121
I've been meaning to do a Not!Innsmouths low level adventure with koa-toa as the low level fish men. Move up to deep scions from volos and maybe a coven of sea hags for the BBEG.
>>
>>53298387
>allowing players to pick a not-super great archetype and a subpar race choice is more autistic compared to pointing out how ACHKtuaally it's only elven magic.
Book even literally says do what ever the fuck you want.
>>
>>53298357
holy fuck, top fucking spooped.
>>
>>53298387
>it's specifically elven related magic
Not if the setting says it isn't.
Not if the setting says elves have taught it to others.
Both of which were brought up as conditionals.

Keep being retarded. It's funny.
>>
>>53298279
They're not really spooky, but Grungs are lawful evil frog people that poison other races and enslave them, some have CRs suitable for lower levels.
>>
>>53298306
Less ghostly spook and more body horror or disgusting stuff. I should have chosen my words more carefully. I'm sorry. I think ghosts and specters would be great to reveal a bit of history about the world (they are delving into tombs).

I saw Chitines from Volos and thought this would be great.

>>53298405

Those are some great ideas anon!

If it helps, or if you're interested, I'm having the players dive into a sunken city. I didn't know what to populate it with but now I'm getting the idea that it would be sweet if in addition to the normal infestations of skellies and maybe the goblins/kobolds I don't like, have some underdark creatures rubbing their elbows in the area and such.

Thank you for the ideas friends
>>
>>53298406
>>53298429
Sure you can do this. The sky's the limit for you who can count to potato.
Your game, your setting, keep being severely autistic.
>>
All this spoopy stuff has me thinking.
My players are gonna perhaps take an extended trip into a realm similar to the shadowfell and I might impose a sanity table of sorts with a save for each long rest they take. And give it levels similar to exhaustion.

Anyone have any recommendations for such a table? Also, think the save should be wisdom or charisma? Thinking cha myself.
>>
File: The Dawnflower's Ward.png (41KB, 1112x381px) Image search: [Google]
The Dawnflower's Ward.png
41KB, 1112x381px
>>53295652
Alright, guys flaming holy shield, what are your thoughts?
>>
>>53298483
You should also impose Con penalties whenever they rest or spend too long in the Shadowfell.

Also make it so they progressively lose emotions and become increasingly emotionally dead.
>>
>>53298398
>implying any of us are free

But seriously though, it feels like there are at least two people just turning the dial to 11 on the autism-o-meter.
>>
File: ackchyually.jpg (60KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
ackchyually.jpg
60KB, 900x900px
>>53298476
>>
>>53298476
I'm sure you're trolling because no one is this retarded and mad over something so inconsequential.
>>
>>53298449
You could also include some Koalinth in there.

They're aquatic Hobgoblins.
>>
File: Rita Rush.jpg (618KB, 1948x2132px) Image search: [Google]
Rita Rush.jpg
618KB, 1948x2132px
>>53298089
>He literally can't be a bladesinger, retard.
>>53298476
>Sure you can do this [be a bladesinger].

Really made me think.
>>
>>53298535
>>53298570
>>53298657
I don't care about your inconsequential little games, in FR non-elves can't be bladesingers unless specifically called out to be.
>>
>>53298483
Basing it on the DMG notes for planar corruption (eg. Shadowfell Despair, Mad Winds, etc) it should be a DC10 Wisdom saving throw.

If they fail, you'd probably want the long term madness chart on page 260.
>>
>>53298476
There are no potatoes in my setting. Medieval England.
>>
>>53298697
You know what, I agree with you. Only because FR is a shitty setting nowadays and people shouldn't be playing it.

Anything to stop players from enjoying it is good.
>>
No word on what the next campaign will be, is there?
>>
>>53298697
>I don't care about your inconsequential little games
uh oh, someone's grumpy
>>
So the next game I want to run, if anyone plays a Battle Master, I want to make the superiority dice something that refreshes every turn instead of during a short rest. This can potentially be a bit OP so in order to that I'm also going to the following:

- 3 Superiority Dice instead of 4
- Begins as D6s and Increases to D8s at 10th and D10s at 18th
- One extra maneuver instead of two at 7th, 10th, and 15th level.

Does this seem okay, or should I take away the extra dice at 7th and 15th level.
>>
>>53298728
Hey, fuck you. Lands of Intrigue, Cloak and Dagger and the Faiths and Avatars supplements were fucking great.
>>
>>53298751

Is there a point to having more than two if they refresh every round?

Also, don't reduce variety for it.
>>
>>53298760
I said nowadays, it used to be a decent setting and even could be pretty good. Had some unique stuff and worked well as a typical fantasy setting when you needed something plain.

Also 4e fucked up FR worse then most settings it touched.

Too many people are sick of the generic fantasy these days and it all comes off bland. I don't like Greyhawk but I'd take it over FR any day.
>>
File: 1380896620277.jpg (19KB, 500x374px) Image search: [Google]
1380896620277.jpg
19KB, 500x374px
>>53298405
>not not Innsmouth
>>
>>53298726
You're all potatoes. Why the fuck are you running a game in medieval England, it better have Arthurian influences, St George devastating the dragon, governments set up by comely wenches with suspicious gifts rising out of lakes and shit like that, you fucking retard.

>>53298744
The truth hurts doesn't it.
>>
>>53298751
Well it's far more powerful then every other option unless you let Knights, Arcane Archers and all the other short rest users recharge every round.

Saving Throws will get annoying as fuck to keep doing.

I have a feeling you're going for the playtest style of things but that system wasn't well worked out. I agree fighters should have more options in combat but this is OP as fuck.
>>
>>53298807
>you're all autistic
>everything must be exactly as it is supposed to be down to the correct detail or it's wrong
>I'm not autistic though
>>
>>53298790
Who cares, following your logic the timelines and guidelines in books are mutable anyway, they're all present day material as far as I'm concerned.
>>
>>53298828
But if you follow the book it tells you that ignoring the restriction is fine. So by saying you can't ignore the restriction, then you're ignoring the book which you seem to think is a bad thing.
>>
>>53298762
>>53298762

What if I started at two and ultimately ended with four? Then again, I guess keeping it at 2 to the end might offset it resetting every round and keep the maneuvers intact.
>>
>>53298840
Which is why FR still has great books, still has great books damn you.
>>
>>53298697
Are you implying your games are consequential?
Are you implying allowing a dwarf to be a blade singer will have massive consequences?
Are you serious?
>>
File: 1467666710230.jpg (199KB, 1095x967px) Image search: [Google]
1467666710230.jpg
199KB, 1095x967px
I'm about to DM for the first time and one of my players has been playing for a long time and is a powergamer. He will no doubt meta hard and hog gameplay. What do? Should I slap his shit?
>>
>>53298751
Don't.
>>
>>53298859
I didn't say otherwise. Sorry, I wasn't the guy you originally replied to.
I like FR for the most part. But it's really just useful for me to use as a basis for my own homebrew shit, since FR is pretty generic anyway because it covers so much shit. The lore is good to pull from as you choose since it covers just about everything and you don't need to bother making everything up yourself in such cases.
>>
>>53298881
Wasn't the same guy, but in my case: of fucking course they're not. No ones are, really.
Why do you care so much?
>>
>>53298876
Give it a session or two to see how things really go, people can surprise you sometimes.

If he tries to hog gameplay, just be sure to always ask the other players what their characters are doing and keep them engaged.
>>
...Anonymous
05/18/17(Thu)15:00:29 No.53298906
>>53298824 # #
>>53298863 # #
No, I'm saying your games, specifically your, games are inconsequential. Saying out right. I'm not implying anything.

You better run your games like PF society or AL where no one can have fun or can't roleplay worth a shit or get fucked.
>>
>>53298876
Ask him to work with you and the group to make everybody equally optimized.
I'm a hardcore powergamer, and that scenario of helping optimize an entire party is basically my wet dream.

And if he does shit on everything, take him aside, talk with him, tell him to nerf his OP stuff.
>>
>>53298906
What's PS society? I know AL is shit. Although, I've never partaken in one myself.

You're starting to confuse me though. Are you trying to say people in my game can't roleplay well? Or that if they don't then they're in trouble? No, only one guy is kinda bad at roleplay. But you're right, if they're bad at roleplaying they will get kinda fucked over since that's mostly the point of the game.

I'd actually argue AL games have more consequence, though. Which I think you're knocking. Since those are "official" and probably impact game stores if they aren't fun for those that play.
>>
>>53298917
A-are you okay?
Someone call a cleric.
>>
>>53298876
If he metagames like looking up enemy stats, just start subtly changing the stats.

If he throws a fit, tell him he shouldn't be metagaming.
>>
>>53298876
Worst case, just make sure to throw in fights that other players will excel at.

Nothing wrong with one guy playing the big bad motherfucker who the party lets loose but no matter if he's melee, ranged or magic there's fights where he'll be disadvantaged, just throw in a bit more of those then normal.
>>
>>53298953
I tell my players flat out that MM stats are just guidelines for me and that they should never expect a monster I throw at them to be the same as what's listed.

If its got a common and obvious trait, like a skeleton is an undead, then that stays the same, obviously. But hit points, resistances, etc. All that shit can change.

I only ever pull directly from MM when I'm feeling lazy.
>>
>>53298791
I'm not not licking toadmen.
>>
>>53298876
Have a session zero and talk about what kind of game you want to run. If it's gonna be heavily combat focused I'd probably recommend >>53298927

If it's gonna have a lot of roleplay, it's kind of difficult to powergame. Best I could think of is he might roll someone with tons of insight and the ability to spam detect thoughts or something. But you can always fudge rolls if that gets annoying. I doubt he'd try to do this though.
>>
What have you done to make the usual suspects from the MM and Volo's super spooky?
>>
>>53298973
Good way of doing it.

Especially for humanoids and such, you can make your own NPC write up, and then apply the relevant racial template from the DMG.
>>
File: 1329593241430.png (47KB, 286x324px) Image search: [Google]
1329593241430.png
47KB, 286x324px
>>53298751
speaking of battlemaster, I got Tripping Attack, Pushing Attack, Menacing Attack, and Parry, I need a 5th maneuver and don't know what to take
>>
>>53298954
The problem with him is that I know he loves to game and to win, even though you don't really traditionally win in role-playing. I'm also scared that he will take all the limelight for himself, not letting others have their moments that cause the story to change. I'd really hate to try to counter his meta with my own meta by making monsters attack him the most or create situations where he is obviously weakened. If I have to, I'll have to. This is my first time, I am bound to make tons of mistakes.
>>
>>53299034
Precision Strike if you have GWM/Sharpshooter. Free movement attack can get a squishy out of opportunity attack range.
>>
>>53299053
Ask him what he's playing right now, people can give more tips once we know.
>>
>>53299053
He should be playing a video game by himself. Does this autist know or understand that an rpg is a team game?
>>
File: 1493508534876.jpg (51KB, 500x361px) Image search: [Google]
1493508534876.jpg
51KB, 500x361px
Help me /5eg/

My players killed a mindflayer that had implanted an intellect devourer in the Queen's head last session, also killing the king and Queen in the process. Despite me informing them upon the intellect devourer's reveal that the target can be revived within 1 round, the Cleric decided against this and also blew his chance for revivify by about four minutes. Now the session ended inside the castle where the players slaughtered all of the mind controlled guards and they think they can proclaim themselves the rulers of this entire fucking kingdom because they killed a single mindflayer, committed regicide and then refused to resurrect the Queen OR when they had the chance.

I want my players to have fun but I am totally not prepared for a politically infused game in what was once a simple swashbuckling adventure story.

Also a kingdom totally has access to SOMEONE that can cast a revival spell with a longer time frame. Surely they'd swing by and save their liege?

Am I shitting on my players? I honestly think they just want the castle, not the political stuff.

What do.
>>
File: 1441331111250.png (277KB, 657x665px) Image search: [Google]
1441331111250.png
277KB, 657x665px
I want to play a character who's goal it is to create the world's most deadly and powerful Flesh Golem, but is keeping this secret from everyone. What would be the best class for a Secret Dr. Frankenstein?
>>
File: 1487361778522.jpg (52KB, 499x616px) Image search: [Google]
1487361778522.jpg
52KB, 499x616px
>>53299077
He does know but he can't help himself. He has admitted many times and can't exactly help it.
>>53299076
Let's just say he has made 7 characters and I don't exactly know which he is gonna play. He will certainly play a lvl 1 fighter but with my game I'll make sure the players will get out of the 1 - 4 slump easy but in an engaging way.He almost played as a wizzie and that would have fucked me over.
>>
>>53299015
If you want to spook people you just need to be sure you're surprising them.
Doors slamming shut behind them and stuff.
Small creepy unseelie fey are good shit for spooks. Redcap murder mystery is fun too.

Like I mentioned earlier in the thread though, I'm a big fan of spooky ghosts. Especially when you have them just do poltergeist-type shit until they finally reveal themselves to the party.
Even just standing at the end of a long hallway in silence is creepy as fuck.
If it's something like a banshee, have that bitch cause shit to fly across the room when she screams, books fly open and pages start whirling around the room.
That creepy ghost girl at the end of the hallway? She looks over and notices you, then the candles go out that were lighting the hall.
Someone tries to light a torch?
She's right next to them and blows it out.

If you like gross horror. I recommend going full unsettling experience. Have it be illusions if you wish so you can make it as nasty as possible but not have to worry about how it actually came to be. Another reason I like ghosts. Ghostly illusions.

>You go to examine the fountain?
>A thick red liquid begins to seep out slowly from the opening and suddenly erupts into a shower of blood

More spooks? Hmm.. Creepy music playing in the distance that sounds like it's coming from a room. When they get to the room the music suddenly stops and in the room sits a harp.
>>
File: Laboratory-Maniac-Art.jpg (136KB, 900x675px) Image search: [Google]
Laboratory-Maniac-Art.jpg
136KB, 900x675px
>>53299089
Alchemist artificer. Scientific background, can make constructs already and understands chemicals and products necessary to animate a dead body via SCIENCE
>>
>>53299082
Just go with the flow and make up shit on the spot. I'd recommend reading Dune and watching Game of Thrones and the Borgias for intrigue inspiration.

Any remaining Royal family which they can legitimize their rulership or any friendly higherups? They could just be wanting to use the castle as a springboard for more escapades.

>>53299089
Necromancer.
>>
>>53299082
A nearby kingdom comes in a few days with an army, make sure to give the players an escape route from the castle though. Insert some new plot hook after they get away which is impossible to ignore.

>>53299112
Fighter? Well that's actually not too hard. He's either GWM or SS. If he's GWM make sure to put in ranged enemies into most fights and have enemies use shoves. If he's SS then make sure to read the cover rules and have enemies take full cover behind walls.

Another option he might flip his shit over is to nerf the weapon feats.
>>
>>53299127
That seems fun. I want him to seem like a nice scientist on the surface, making neat little gizmos, and useful things for the party, but has this somewhat morbid goal that he's not keeping precisely secret, but not just telling everyone about. Thanks, Anon.
>>
>>53299112
Have you told him to stop being a little shit and act normally?
>>
>>53299142
Or declare feats are not being used in this campaign. They're a fully optional rule, you're perfectly entitled to declare them uncontent.
>>
>>53299142
>A nearby kingdom comes in a few days with an army
This a million times.

You can't just knock off rulers without creating an enormous political vacuum.
>>
>>53299142
>nerf martials because of one guy, fucking over everyone else
>he jumps off a cliff and plays a Wizard
>>53299112
All you've said concretely is that he's a powergamer, but you keep insinuating he's horrible to be with in general without confirming it. Is this the actual reason you're posting?
>>
>>53299082
>Help me /5eg/

>My players killed a mindflayer that had implanted an intellect devourer in the Queen's head last session, also killing the king and Queen in the process. Despite me informing them upon the intellect devourer's reveal that the target can be revived within 1 round, the Cleric decided against this and also blew his chance for revivify by about four minutes. Now the session ended inside the castle where the players slaughtered all of the mind controlled guards and they think they can proclaim themselves the rulers of this entire fucking kingdom because they killed a single mindflayer, committed regicide and then refused to resurrect the Queen OR when they had the chance.

>I want my players to have fun but I am totally not prepared for a politically infused game in what was once a simple swashbuckling adventure story.

>Also a kingdom totally has access to SOMEONE that can cast a revival spell with a longer time frame. Surely they'd swing by and save their liege?

>Am I shitting on my players? I honestly think they just want the castle, not the political stuff.

>What do.

Show them their actions have consequences, in other words they're fucked.
>>
>>53299082
My advice? divine intervention

their "heroic" actions have gained them the attention of some deity that has no tolerance for the Far Realm and their tentacles and mind fuckery.

My suggestion is to make this one of the clearly evil gods like Bane that feels threaten by an increase in Far Realm influence lately. When the evil god encourages them to continue to "purge without mercy", that should be their red flag that their previous actions were morally unjust.
>>
>>53299112
You can embrace it and just enjoy having a competent player. Far too often I get frustrated when my players are just complete shit at problem solving.

If he's gonna be a fighter, it means he's gonna powergame combat. The way to deal with this is by making sure you always include a good amount of enemies even during boss fights.
This way the rest of the party still feels useful and can take care of the small guys while he focuses on the big bad.

If I were you though, I'd ask him if he'd be interested in challenging himself. Tell him it's fine to powergame. That is, play your character as optimally as possible during play, but how about creating a sub-par character in terms of stat assignment or in terms of archetype? Because I'm a bit of the same way, if I play an optimally designed character, whatever class I may choose, I will often overshadow my friends without even meaning to just because I understand the system because I DM so much.
So I often look into an interesting multiclass combination that will allow me to do fun things thematically, but not overwhelmingly powerful.

For example, had a weeaboo long death monk that I played like shaman king because I multiclassed as death cleric. Let me do lots of fun thematic shit but wasn't the most optimal character I could play. Especially damage wise.
>>
>>53299082
They uncover far more people, way too many people, have been implanted with brain devourers or mind flayer tadpoles.

The apocalypse of the sky well begin with the destruction of the sun.
>>
File: 1447330697317.gif (34KB, 500x502px) Image search: [Google]
1447330697317.gif
34KB, 500x502px
>>53299177
He is a perfectly fine guy but he gets competitive with gaming in general. Video gaming, board gaming, you name it. The reason why I'm posting is because I am a newbie DM about to collaborate with someone who loves to play to win and I need to know how I can deal with this. So far, Everyone's responses have been great. I'm probably just gonna test the waters with him and see if I need to deal with him accordingly.
>>
>>53299167
True, it's a limiting option but in some games it's perfectly necessary.

Also if the players are new they're far more likely not to cheese the 1 hour adventuring day that makes casters so much better. As long as everyone's having fun with their characters it's fine.

I would say no V.Human and say you're still considering if you'll allow feats at level 4.

>>53299177
You've fallen for the Wizard meme of 3e mate. Druids and Bards have access to spells that'll fuck over everyone easier.
>>
>>53299082
You should have already had the power levels prepared before they got to the point where they claimed they're taking over. Are they demigods, or are they bandits? How many people per 1,000,000 are as powerful as them?

They should have a reasonable understanding of how powerful they are by this point.
>>
>>53299216
I've fallen for no meme.
>>
>>53299204
>If I were you though, I'd ask him if he'd be interested in challenging himself.>>53299213

This is a good suggestion, because if you challenge yourself, you can still feel as though you have "won" if you perform at an acceptable level compared to the rest of the party.
>>
>>53299213
Make people pick different roles. If he's stealing the spotlight with his "thing" then he's not actually stealing the spotlight. As the DM you should have a tight management of people getting to do something, and should know when it's time to let someone wait after they've had a significant portion of screen time to themselves.
>>
File: confused neet.png (260KB, 620x640px) Image search: [Google]
confused neet.png
260KB, 620x640px
So why don't Fighting Styles get upgrades as the characters who have them level up, like a lot of other features do?
>>
>>53293943
I played Spelljammer back in the day and in the 3.5 and 4e ports.

Basically the ship rules can be ported over without any issues, as the helms work by stealing a days casting off a caster and the spell slots are the same level even if casters are sooo much weaker now. The two basic modes are guardians of the galaxy/millenium falcon style with a tiny ship and the PCs are the crew, or star trek with a crew of named red shirts that fly the ship while the party is the bridge/away team.
>>
>>53299265
"Balance reasons"
>>
>>53299123
This is fantastic, thanks brah.
>>
>>53299082
>Grandmaster of the holy order shows up with a small group of knights and a wizard, to save the ruling family and vanquish the invaders
>If they fail the kingdom falls into open riots, as enemy forces gather on the borders and a bid for control over the now fractured lands ensures.
>>
>>53299265
Parts of weapon feat should've been attached to leveling up Fighting Styles.

GWM and SS Power Attacks aren't an issue at level 9+ or so and are only a huge deal at low levels where they shit over everything.

Protection could've given you Shield Master benefits.

TWF gives Dual-Wielding.

PAM is probably retarded and not needed with GWM around.

What would Dueling give as you leveled up though?
>>
File: Give Life.png (305KB, 502x392px) Image search: [Google]
Give Life.png
305KB, 502x392px
Is this spell too strong?
>>
I'm starting in a campaign on Friday, and I'll be playing a Forge domain Cleric. I drafted a quick backstory that, as a former criminal, he chose a rehabilitative apprenticeship over prison, and devoted himself to Moradin after being lifted up by his artisanship. Is this neat or lame/edgy/bad
>>
>>53299265
Accuracy increases your damage by a percentage, so Archery does scale.
Damage scales with the number of attacks you get so Dueling scales.
TWF scales with your ability score, so it scales, but awfully, which is only one of TWFs many problems.
Armor Class reduces the to-hit damage you take by a percentage, and has increasing returns, so it does scale.
GWF is damage, so it scales with # of attacks. It also works off other random dice you might get.
Imposing disadvantage on an attack is like AC, so Protection scales.
>>
>>53299082
the castle was a single outpost all along, deep down in the ground, about 5 miles in the earth, an elder brain carefully plans the next step of their master plan.

let them keep the castle, fight or use diplomacy to try and take the kingdom. have knights and nobles come and try to take a share of the cake or demand explanations or repercussions.

meanwhile, slowly, the people in the city start going missing, sometimes for days, sometimes for good, all those returning, returning... off. give them a time frame to settle, to suspect or to abandon the keep, and then surprise them with a huge mind flayer invasion. some well, cave or tunnel, maybe a mayor landmark of the city was a entryway to the underdark all along. have grafted thralls, flayers with PC class levels/features, maybe an ulitharid leading the operation, with mindwitnesses reporting back to the hive. the whole city, gone in a single night, no survivors.

they can stay and fight to their best of abilities, and possibly die, or leave and try to rally allies if they got them through their political intrigues and organize a rescue party/crusade to take the cephalopods.

or abandon the whole cause and have them be tormented by it for all time.
>>
Is it a bad idea to have only one level 1 spell on a 6th level sorcerer?

Spell lineup is:
-Chromatic orb (1st)
-Invisibility (2nd)
-Scorching Ray (2nd)
-Fireball (3rd)
-Haste (3rd)
-Counterspell (3rd)
-Melfs Meteors (3rd)

Yes I know there's a large imbalance of fire spells. Thats what Chromatic Orb is for.
>>
>>53299292
Maybe some kind of bonus to non-attack actions done with the other hand for Dueling?
>>
>>53299308
I feel like for being what's probably core to your character's actual fighting, past stuff like Sneak Dice(and Rogues don't get Fighting Styles anyway) ought to scale a little more. Maybe even come up front before most other stuff.
>>
>>53299313
Just ask yourself "Will I want to be casting this four times per day everyday?". If the answer is yes, go for it. If the answer is no, then choose a second L1 spell or a better L1 spell.
>>
>>53299305
Not sure what's edgy about religious conversion and rehabilitation through skilled labor. Sounds good for backstory but doesn't explain why they adventure.
>>
>>53299315
Athletics expertise and grapple/shove/disarm as a bonus action maybe? I might actually do this up. Barbarians would have to get a Fighting style to bring them in line with others though, maybe put it at level 3 for them.

Fighter gets Fighting Style at 1, first improvement at 6 and final one at 11.

Paladin and Ranger get it at 2, first improvement at 7 and final one at 12.

Barbarian gets it at 3, improves at 8 and final improvement at 13.

I mean, it keeps Martial damage high when they really need the feats and at lower levels balances a bit better. Plus saves them a feat.
>>
>>53299383
Something like that doesn't sound too bad, especially about the Barbarian.
>>
>>53299419
I'll do up a homebrewery version latter and probably expand the options a bit.

Like Archery rank 2 can either be ignore cover and melee penalties or ignore loading on crossbows.

Actually might be good.
>>
>>53299444
I'll keep my eye open.
>>
File: War Is Art v2.pdf (628KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
War Is Art v2.pdf
628KB, 1x1px
I made a barbarian thing a while back that gave a little expansion on fighting styles

Posted it in a general about a month ago
>>
How do I get the other members to do their jobs?

I made an antisocial(6 CHA)/paranoid(15 WIS) Human ranger who overly booby traps the camp sights where the party goes to rest.

But the other members of the party don't really seem to know what to do in situations they would be good at.

We are supposed to be solving a murder, yet the high CHA bard and rogue just kinda stand around instead of interrogating the witnesses and they don't search for clues. So after 3-5 mins of everyone just kinda meandering around I ended up having to ask the witnesses the questions to progress the plot because the DM wouldn't let us leave.

TLDR: How do i get the rest of my party to do things so I don't end up doing everything?
>>
>>53299313
holy shit, i had never seen the sorcerer's know spell chart, what in the name of fuck.

a 1st level wizard STARTS with 6 spells and learns 2 per level for free, why would anyone ever subject themselves to this?
>>
>>53299504
In character mention it

>Hey I'm not the greatest at talking to people, bard maybe you can get something out of him.
>>
File: 1478460473922.gif (950KB, 300x330px) Image search: [Google]
1478460473922.gif
950KB, 300x330px
>>53299310
Holy shit anon this is awesome and exactly what I was looking for. I was kind of iffy on all of the political intrigue ideas but for it to be a front for a massive mindflayer attack is just perfect, especially because I didn't really know what the Mind Flayer's purpose was there in the court myself. I just wanted to hand wave it as "Yeah he's there because mindflayers being evil and shit."

On this day you have put me in your debt and will probably give my players an awesome campaign. Thank you.
>>
>>53299530
Also >>53299205
>>
im DMing Curse of Strahd and i have a sorcerer joining the party after the 3rd session or so. She has Wild Magic. I looked over the table with the side effects and they all suck ass. Now... considering the setting im thinking on introducing some sort of interesting side effect for Wild Magic. Like after every 3-4 uses she attracts something evil from beyond. Like a Shadow or something. Or maybe she slowly goes insane ? I track it somewhere and every 30 uses she gets some mental affliction ? I need some interesting ideas and or interesting tables.
>>
>>53299507
No idea it's fucking stupid. Give sorcerers a flat +1 spell known per level to balance them.
>>
>>53299526

I tried that in the last session at first, but they responded with "I don't know what to do/ask."

So after they sidetracked the main plot by attacking/trying to fuck an innocent courtesan who they thought was a assassin in disguise. And then further delaying the plot by trying to uncover the "assassin's" secret underground sexual assassin guild for 2 hours with no luck (It didn't exist).

They then proceeded to just kinda wander around looking at the dirt for clues instead of talking to the guard or witnesses.
>>
>>53299304
Anyone? Is this spell too outlandish for the game?
>>
File: tumblr_m4d16entGD1r5jtugo1_500.jpg (22KB, 500x285px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m4d16entGD1r5jtugo1_500.jpg
22KB, 500x285px
>>53299620
God speed to you
>>
>>53299625
the fuck is a magus or a shaman?
>>
>>53299304
>>53299625
As a Cantrip it seems okay. The only way to make it an actual choice instead of a slightly worse healing spell than the level 1 alternatives is to make your party's dungeon crawls have several short rests so those Hit Dice become more valuable. All in all it doesn't seem too bad. Give it a shot, and if your players find a way to abuse it change it afterwards.
>>
Do people usually take feats sooner rather than later? I'm thinking of playing a character with Inspiring Leader at level 1 or 4, is it worth it on a party of 6?
>>
>>53299670
This is a magus.
>>53299685
Thanks for the tip.
>>
>>53295662
Proficiency: Sleigh of hand, Survival.
Tool proficiency (pick one of): Carpenter tools, Stone masons tools, Cooking set.
Gear: Common clothes, Slave collar a club.

Features:
>Escape artist - You have advantage on rolls to free your self from bindings.
>Enduring suffering - once per long rest you may reduce the damage taken from an attack by 1d4.
>>
>>53299711
Fuck, why'd you have to post that.
>>
>>53297106
Do you like your lvl 1 monk that deals extra 1d4 damage on each hit?

1d8+3+1d4+1d4+3+1d4= 16 average damage at lvl 1!
>>
File: d56.gif (4MB, 280x302px) Image search: [Google]
d56.gif
4MB, 280x302px
>>53299711
and why would anyone care about this???
>>
>>53299800
Maybe some people want a spellblade class that's not the EK, Stone Sorceror, or Bladesinger.
>>
>>53299601
http://www.traykon.com/pdf/The_Net_Libram_of_Random_Magical_Effects.pdf
That's the most ridiculous wild magic table I know of. As for effects, maybe every few uses make the mage make a save of some kind or suffer a temporary affliction/take psychic damage/etc
>>
>>53298038
Now it HAS to be a bladesinger.

>Dwarf boy in elven community always wanted to join the bladesinger school.
>Always got beaten up by recruiters cause he's not an elf but stubbornly wanted to learn.
>Decided to steal their teachings.
>Infiltrated as a servant.
>Poisoned the head librarian and stole the schools manuals.
>Has a deranged personality since then and a superiority complex towards elves.
>Is being tracked down by bounty hunters and members of the school.

>The DM fuges his roll on the reincarnate table to turn him into an elf.
>>
>>53299817
or hexblade or ranger or paladin or war cleric or valor bard or swords bard or arcane archer or 4 element monk... right?

i recommend you to kindly fuck off.
>>
>>53299850
>>>53299800
Or them, yes!
>>
>>53299817
No, no they really don't.
>>
>>53299711
And yet a fighter 2/wizard X is much better at what this tries to achieve...

To be 100% honest, why the fuck do people here ASSUME everyone knows or care about, much less USE, their shitty special snowflake homebrew?

Why would you make a spell for a homebrew class that probably no one knows what is, much less how many or which spells they get.

What the fuck is wrong with you?
>>
File: plsnobully.jpg (42KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
plsnobully.jpg
42KB, 512x512px
>>53299901
stop being mean, anon
>>
>>53299911
He's telling the truth though, just because it isn't what people want to hear doesn't mean it shouldn't be said.
>>
>>53299911

I dislike anime
>>
>>53298953
God, I was playing a session the other day and we encountered some werewolves. One of the female players at the table immediately looks up werewolf in her DMG (her excuse is that she's "learning to DM")
Next thing I know she starts whining saying "well I can't even do anything so I guess I'll just run away" and she abandons the party

Well she saw that werewolves are immune to physical damage from non-silvered weapons and immediately gave up and left, but turns out the DM just made these specific werewolves RESISTANT rather than immune. She felt pretty stupid after.

OH and also halfway through my character got bit by the werewolf and I was to into the fight to even think about lycanthropy as being a thing. The DM said my shoulder was burning. I just assumed I was poisoined. The metagamer looked over and told me that I'm gonna turn into a werewolf. Thanks for ruining the surprise there
>>
>>53299901
Not much, I just wanted some insight on a spell.

Also, I enjoy having the War Magics, Divine smites, free magic weapons and armor all in one package. It's not for everyone clearly, but that's not what I came here to prove.
>>
>>53299911
You're right, /pfg/ is that way.
>>
>>53299937
Yeah, but he doesn't have to be a dick.
I don't think the guy was asking the question assuming anyone knew what those homebrews were. Rather, just asking if the cantrip ability wasn't too retarded.
If you were looking at the classes it's available to to determine balance I wouldn't really pay that any mind since I assume feats if there's homebrew, usually. So magic initiate would open it up to anyone.

To the guy who asked about the cantrip. Seems okay, in my opinion.
>>53299942
That's cool. I really only like dumb shit like jojo.
>>
>>53299948
It goes against the grain of 5e's power level, but hey your game and all that.
>>
>>53293985
Well your first problem is going to be that their is a big difference between a hill giant and a cloud or storm giant. Make the players all be similar types i.e. fire and ice are relatively the same size I think.
>>
>>53299980
>Magic Initiate
This guy gets it, I got a Life Cleric that is picking up good berries and this class has it, it also has booming blade and that cantrip so I wanted to make sure it was not too powerful.

>>53299993
Honestly, its not that strong you have a limited number of the magic item buff you can give yourself per day and you can discharge them for attacks or reactions to do some special stuff. So it balances out. The smites are only stronger than the Pallys if you have the magic buffs on you and if you don't you're doing less also the pallys can do way more of them than these guys can. So.. once again balances out.
>>
What's the deal with Curse of Strahd?
It seems to spike in difficulty way too early on. I know it's designed for veteran players, but there are reasonable limits.
You're supposed to be level 3 when you leave Death House my ass.
>>
File: The Homebrewery - NaturalCrit.pdf (669KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
The Homebrewery - NaturalCrit.pdf
669KB, 1x1px
First draft of my revised fighting styles. Feedback appreciated.

I forgot to put it on there but Barbarians have Dueling, TWF, GWF and Defence as their Rank 1 Fighting Styles.
>>
>>53293879
You'd probably be better off doing it with Giant Kin.

Goliaths and Firbolgs are already there, and you could add Verbeegs, Voadkyn (Wood Giants), Cyclopes, and Formorians. Maybe include Minotaurs as well.
>>
How do I play as a spellcaster? At least one monster per battle tends to ignore my melee and get up my ass, and if I misty step/disengage that monster can just catch up and give me disadvantage on my attacks all day. The fuck do i do
>>
>>53300174
Gimme a little more specifics. Class and archetype?
>>
>>53300174
Get non-shit teammates who will defend you
>>
>>53300191
Dragon Sorceror. Ive got misty step and shield as defensive stuff
>>
>>53300147
Quick question about the Whirling Blades ability what do you mean that you no longer need to use your bonus action to two weapon fight?
>>
>>53300174
Shocking Grasp, Magic Missile, Poison Spray, other saving throw spells AND/OR take Crossbow Expert feat
>>
>>53300080
Doesn't it give CR guidelines on the areas you visit? It's also meant to be more horror-oriented which expresses itself as a certain powerlessness and helplessness by the pcs.
What are you finding ludicrous?
>>
>>53299945
Most of what you said I can respect, but come on man; just because you forget lycanthropy is a thing doesn't mean the rest of your party has to be too retarded to recognize your injury at the hands of a werewolf will be an issue.
>>
1st time DM here, I want to run, for some friends, the Lost Mines campaign that comes out of the 5e Starter Kit to get a feel for what I should be doing. Problem is twofold:

1: I am considering letting the players build their own characters (starting Level 1) since most of them have played 5e before, rather than using the pregens. This is only an issue because...

>cont.
>>
>>53300208
Yeah, It's mainly there because Rangers and Barbarians both have crowded Bonus Action especially latter in the game.
>>
>>53300216
Wait what the fuck, crossbow expert works on all ranged stuff? SeemsGood
>>
>>53300224
Pregen characters on WotC site
>>
>>53297458
no. swallowing creatures is a special attack. see giant frog and giant toad.
>>
>>53300241
Not really, a single level in Fighter could theoretically get you Close Quarters Shooter for the same thing and +1 Attack.

Really just take saving throw and control spells. Get gud.
>>
>>53300241
Yeah but I'd just suggest using a melee cantrip
>>
>>53300199
He said at least one ignores his melee friend and still goes for him.
>>53300205
Misty step is a good call and you'll be able to still cantrip someone's ass after the poof.
Try to get elevated from the battlefield if possible? I know some DMs always just have them fighting in flat rooms which is boring. Sorry if that's the case. Maybe hint to your DM that you'd like to see more interesting environments if so. Some with vertical elements.

Sounds like you're annoyed because you want to be rolling without disadvantage. If you absolutely can't get away that's why you need to start packing stuff that can do more than just damage. Or ones that require saves instead of attack rolls.

Battlefield control and buffs will make your teammates loves you and want to protect you if you getting hit means the buff you cast on them goes away. Stuff like haste will make your heavy hitters want to suck your dick right off, especially twincasting it.

If you're a fire dragon sorcerer, look into burning hands, or scorcher for something that might not require a roll.
Hold person is a great way to deal with baddies as well. And you can twin it.
>>
File: 1395005968484.png (415KB, 636x800px) Image search: [Google]
1395005968484.png
415KB, 636x800px
>>53299911
fuck off, everyone knows chinatsu is best yryr either way.
>>
>>53300228
2) Most of the group has already played Lost Mines, or is aware of its plot. Rather than go hunt down a different campaign, or build one from scratch and have it likely come out crap, I'm choosing to alter the campaign by having it turn into an undead apocolypse by Act II, basically making all enemies undead and giving them Undead Fortitude. Basically, some asshole wizard (as close as I can get to lich without just breaking the PCs over my knee) is infecting the local water with necrotic magic, causing people to become infected and turn into zombies and skeletons. Besides the statblock alterations, the characters, side quests and enemy types will remain as close to source material as I feel necessary.

Is this a good idea? Any suggestions?
>>
>>53300231
Okay, I see. You are aware that you can attack with your second weapon using your extra attack feature right?
>>
>>53300247
Those are hardly character sheets. They're like stat blocks
>>
>>53298121
Something has driven the beasts of the wilderness mad. Fight beasts, explore for source of beast madness, investigate a way to defeat the madness.
>>
>>53300268
Don't sweat it so much, anon.
And don't worry about going off source. In fact, I think you'll have more fun the more you do, because you won't worry so much about making stuff up.

Let them build their own characters, but I recommend having them build their characters together so that the party has some natural synergy as well as reason why they're already pals. I find party members that already share some sort of mutual bond make for the best experiences.
>>
>>53300263
Ye true, ty man. Im def looking into more utility, twinned haste is next level so im getting to get sucked
>>
>>53300272
Yeah, that doesn't particularly give ant advantage over just using a single weapon though. At that point you might as well have gone Sword and Board for the same damage and other abilities.

Dual-Wielding getting two more attacks with a d8 weapon seems fair when compared to the +10 damage other offensive styles get.
>>
>>53300256
>Not really, a single level in Fighter could theoretically get you Close Quarters Shooter for the same thing and +1 Attack.

>suggesting UA
Why do people do this? Do you guys usually just assume UA? I think that's kind of retarded since so much of it is complete shit and not properly balanced. ESPECIALLY for multiclassing.
>>
>>53300280
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/character_sheets
>>
>>53300299
That's why I said theoretically. Most DM's will tell you to fuck off with it but using all resources put out by WotC it is an option.

Also most games I've seen do use UA so I assume most people will have access to all but the most broken of shit.
>>
>>53300299
Cos you know, the UAs are official homebrew. The only retarded assumption is assuming multiclassing with UAs.
Otherwise use UAs if you're not a retard.
>>
>>53300288
No prob. Never underestimate utility spells. After all your main nuke will come in the form of a fireball assuming you're fire dragon sorcerer.
Other than that, cantrips are pretty sweet for you since they can deal a respectable amount without wasting any slots.
>>
>>53300324
>>53300325
I guess, but it just seems silly that's what you'd suggest. I'd certainly open with
>if your DM is cool with multiclassing homebrew
if I were to make such a suggestion.

I don't think recommending crossbow feat is a good idea though, either. It's a waste of an ASI or could be better off spent on something like warcaster if they have the means to make use of it. Still, sorcerers have proficiency in con saves anyway, but adv and proficiency means you're one concentrated caster.
>>
>>53299948
insight on a spell but not fucking context whatsoever.

that is the problem, you are asking a question expecting ??? when you are giving us nothing to work with. if you compare a cantrip that outright heals with the only two remotely comparative things in 5e, you'll immediately notice it is grossly overpowered. the developers have a very rigid perception that there shouldn't be any at will heal at all, and while it is true that that cantrip still consumes resources, it expends a resource that can ONLY be spent out of combat and also scales with levels a lot more than say, spells do.

it's like having 20 more uses of cure wounds, has wonky interactions with multiclassing (which hit die can you spend?) and at least for clerics, scales harder with life domain stuff and they already have stronger out of combat healing options than hit die, like prayer of healing.

hence why context matters, if clerics and ONLY clerics got this, it'd be pretty strong but probably in line, then what the fuck is a sylvan magus or a shaman and what should design expects from them, no one has ANY fucking idea because it is shit pulled out of someone ass with ??? design guidelines in mine, and no, no one should be expected to read those to help you out.

it's shit, try again harder.
>>
>>53300221
Ghouls, the spectre, the thing in the basement, the fucking mimic door.
Every time I've seen the players in CoS get into a combat where they didn't heavily outnumber (~2:1) their enemy, they always lost at least one character. But I'm talking anecdotal evidence, so it's probably just me.
>>
>>53300299
>I think that's kind of retarded since so much of it is complete shit and not properly balanced
Off the top of my head Loremaster, Theurge, Mystic (In certain situations and parties), Treachery Paladin and Revised Beastmaster depending on what type of fights you're in, Tunnel Fighter and Fell Handed.

Those are all I can name that can be too powerful while remaining singleclassed. I'd have to talk with the player's before playing those but everything else is fine imo.
>>
>>53300174
>and if I misty step/disengage that monster can just catch up
if every single enemy can close 90ft up to you in a single round then your DM is full of shit and just fucking you over, there's nothing you or anyone else can do about it.

cast fly or levitate and just get out of melee range, get spell sniper and never be remotely near melee range of anything, if you problems persist it is confirmed your DM will just fuck you over regardless of your decision making, try to get the most broken or tedious or overall un-fun shit possible and at least make sure he has to deal with your shittiness as well.
>>
>>53300359
>it expends a resource that can ONLY be spent out of combat
I'm not sure but I think there's some UA or possibly even official material that has spells or effects where you can expend a hit die in combat iirc. Anyone remember what it is?
It's really not that grossly overpowered because you have to expend the resource. Which to your credit, you acknowledged.

It gives you 20 uses if you're level 20. I'd assume letting the player pick which hit dice. Why not?

Again, magic initiate throws this into any class's potential pool. So it's better to think about this with all classes in mind, actually. So the homebrew classes don't even matter. Since it works the same way across all of them (the ability score for the class list it's pulled from is irrelevant since it has no bearing on the spell).
Therefor no one is expected to read those homebrew classes, ya dingus.

The only thing I might consider for him to change would be to make it into something like a casting time of 1-minute so that it's pushed into out of combat if that seems like an issue. Which it could be. Still, being a touch spell and an action already makes it less convenient than healing word, despite that taking up a spell slot.

I think healer's feat and a bunch of healer's kit is competitive with it anyway. Maybe another option would be to keep it as an action but make it similar to healer's feat and that once used on a creature, the spell will have no effect on them for another 24 hours, or whatever healer's feat says.
>>
>>53300174
Keep your distance, use cover, use area control spells to limit their movement. Have your teammate use grapple, have them use sentinel.
If worse comes to worse you can endure a few hits.

Distance is absolutely key, however. Do whatever you can to keep your distance. One game I had moved back just enough to be the only person in a big group to avoid a devasating AoE effect, which ended up saving us a TPK at the end of the fight.

Use walls, cover. Use an illusion to hide in a box, even. Don't forget, cantrips aren't very strong and sometimes you should value protecting yourself over casting a firebolt. The 'dodge' action isn't awfully bad. The 'hide' action means the enemy won't be able to find you at all with a good stealth check.
>>
>>53300394
Just my two cents, but revised beastmaster doesn't seem too bad. I'm currently running a game for one.

One thing I thought about though, was perhaps adding a conditional for the pet's bonus action attack on your turn. Maybe only letting the pet make the attack as an opportunity attack IF you hit with your own weapon first. If you miss, no pet attack. And as part of this, making it so it has to attack the same target.
>>
>>53300387
I don't see the problem? It is horror after all.
>>
>>53295322
Explain plz
>>
>>53300394
Treachery paladin isn't really too powerful except at level 20. It's probably better than vengeance and honestly like the other UA paladins it's just stupid (The design philosophy is 'how many different ways can you get advantage?') but ultimately it's just advantage overload and it doesn't prove useful/ once you have that much advantage.
Oathbreaker on the other hand is more powerful.

I really just wouldn't allow UA paladins unless a player really wants to do it, because the mechanical designs are really lame and you're better off refluffing.
>>
>>53300463
I'll keep this in mind for future use if it turns out to be too strong, thanks, anon.
>>
>>53300463
>It's really not that grossly overpowered because you have to expend the resource.

The only cantrip that does something remotely close to outright healing anyone ever is virtue, which is a 1d4+Spell Mod and it last ONE (1) round, and it still is touch and one action. 1d6~1d12 healing is VASTLY superior in ANY aspect possible.

I'm no lead designer but you'd have to excuse me for exactly, letting ANY CLASS IN THE GAME to bring people back from knocked out AT WILL, always and forever.

It also vastly outperforms spare the dying, because for one action and touch you are getting someone to their feet, instead of just stabilizing them. Sure, you might only get a handful of uses a day for the lower levels, but given how pretty much everyone plays the game, being able to instantly getting someone up from ko is pretty much superior to any other action that is not instantly ending the combat.
>>
>>53299304
It's more powerful and generally useful than all the other cleric cantrips, even though cleric has guidance.

It:
1. Allows you to heal in 6 seconds instead of 1 hour
2. Allows you use to healing you wouldn't have needed anyway on someone else (Clerics are pretty tough and tend to go down last, really)

It's not gamebreaking, but it's too strong for clerics not to take.
>>
>>53299504
I think I have the opposite problem as you. My group started CoS last weekend and after we agreed to follow these gypsies to their lord we suddenly wake up in the middle of the road with our guides spirited away and a blanket of mist on EVERYTHING. What do my teammates do? The Wizard tries starts investigating the remains of the camp for any clues about our missing guides. Gets nothing but the fact that they straight-up vanished into nothingness. Detect Magic the mist, and when that doesn't tell him anything he tries to nature check it. The eyes of the party just looks at everything really hard. After letting them do this for like 10 minutes, they started getting it in their head to inspect away from the road. I had to just get up and start walking down the road, and they were trying to get me to stop so they could keep making checks for (seemingly) nothing and making no progress.

Next day (we didn't reach the end of the road and had to camp out on it again) the mist is even thicker and we go through the same drawn out process again.

I feel like a dick for commandeering the situation as I did, but nothing was happening and as far as I could tell it was the obvious choice of action and they were over-analyzing it.
>>
>>53300589
>Allows you to heal in 6 seconds instead of 1 hour
Can't do that, it has to be another creature.

>Allows you use to healing you wouldn't have needed anyway on someone else (Clerics are pretty tough and tend to go down last, really)
I feel this is dependant on the game, but I will keep this in mind as well.
>>
>>53293727
How would one design a KI-origin sorcerrer (people born with high mastery over their KI)?

Do we give them MA, Unarmoured and Movement at lvl 1 then Stunning strike and the basic Ki features at lvl 6?
>>
>>53300564
even magic initiate's 1st level spell (lets assume you pick healing words or cure wounds) is once per long rest and healer requires a healer's kit and is once per short/long rest per target, and stabilizing with a healer's kit is still an action that expends charges.

and both of this are feats, so they are costed against full ASI or all your racial features and other (arguably better) feats if you take it at 1st level as a v.human.
>>
>>53300629
Why not actually expend your life force? Ie from your current hp and transfer it over, otherwise you're fucking up with the flavor not matching the mechanics.
>>
>>53300426
>Casting levitate on yourself
>Not casting it as a you're not going anywhere button
If you want to stop him from getting to you, I suggest it's his movement you're keeping track of, not yours.
Though your method works better when it's a Triceratops or whatever and you really don't want to risk the Con save.
>>53300502
It got to a bit much when every male character in the party was either dead or had died at some point. For some reason the women got out intact, probably because the men were basically all frontliners.
It just feels like 'how do we make the player characters feel like they're accomplishing as little as possible while still pretending like there's a plot'. Strahd could gank you at any time, everyone's either dead, dying, or miserable, and even if you do succeed Strahd returns because this is Ravenloft.
I mean, I know this is supposed to be basically hell, but even hell is interesting in Dungeons and Dragons. I feel like I've been cheated somehow, because I went in expecting gothic horror and all I got is a gothic slogfest. No wonder everyone wants to leave.
>>
>>53300629
healing through hit dice takes 1 hour, as in after a short rest, you dum dum.

and clerics get medium or heavy armor, shields and d8 HD, and if that isn't enough, they still get prayer of healing making most hit die healing trivial aka not competing for resources there.

>>53300662
melee baddies usually have better con saves than wis saves, so you could be casting a real disable at that point.
>>
>>53300629
Yes, but it uses a resource that normally takes an hour to heal in 6 seconds, in a way.

And what I say about clerics should be true - they have heavy armour/medium armour and shields (19/20AC), they fight just fine from the back-lines and can stay there no problem and focus on spells anyway so they don't need to be right up front. If they do get into melee with sacred guardians, they have plenty of actions to use on stuff like sanctuary/dodge so they can't be hit.
>>
>>53300662
Ravenloft is meant to be place of torment and insufferable existence, all because of one Darklord and you're meant to feel a certain hopelessness. It's a place that crushes light and hope and leaves only despair and crybabies from the sounds of it.
You think you have it bad, try living there and being trapped in it.

You're meant to be advancing the plot by collecting the artifacts, by making people's lives easier, by being bastions of light and hope. Guess what, you're not meant to fight everything, run away if you have to. Expecting victories every single fucking time and being crybabies if you don't get those victories is not what the supplement is about.
You need to earn those victories, especially in Ravenloft. Play smarter, play cagier, play wiser. Don't be fucking retards enraging and engaging everything or you will die.
>>
>>53300564
So here's the thing, it's at its best 1d12 at it's worst 1d6. There's no average roll there. It's equal chances of being decent and shit all the time. It takes up one of your own hit dice, which is a trade off in itself and uses up an entire action to do so.

I'm not familiar with virtue. But 1d4 plus spell mod will on average heal you better. I'm not sure what you mean by it lasts one round. Is that how long the hit points stay with you? If so, that's a pretty weird spell.

It's only sort of at-will because it takes up your own hit dice, which is a big deal in itself. Because now you're healing less outside of combat when you can take a break. Don't forget, when you take a long rest at night you don't even get back all your hit dice. You get back half. So if you run through all your hit dice even at level 20, the next day you're getting 10 more uses of it at the most.

What I do agree on is that it's better than spare the dying in that it brings someone back up to fight. But spare the dying takes zero resources away from you.

Remember at higher levels the amount you heal someone is even less significant because you will be downed once more if you get attacked. Since it's only a single hit dice. This is why healing word is still a better option despite it taking up a spell slot. Bonus action is heal is the ultimate revive tool, and it also has a range.

At lower levels hit dice are even more precious, and transferring one over can spell your doom later. If you take a short rest and heal yourself up, then you may not even have hit dice to use on the cantrip. And now you're sitting there with a dead cantrip. Which is pretty shitty in itself.

I can agree with some of these points
>>53300589
Especially the first one. That might be an issue. Could be solved with making the cantrip only work once per day per target, and essentially become a "magical healer's kit."
>>
>>53300740
Virtue gives you temp hp for one round.

I from experience have never had to use hit die to heal myself and we've been with 5e for 4 campaigns and more than a year already, hence why for my personal experience, and anecdotical evidence i've heard from other tables, plus the simple fact the developers are very much against at will healing.

yeah, no.
>>
>>53300691
I think there was a misunderstanding between you two.
He thought you meant he could heal himself. But if you're a cleric that took no damage, you could just use your hit dice on another person and have them ready to go in less than the hour it would normally take.

However, being that there's no +con added to the hit dice I presume, it's pretty shitty healing overall. Not *that* good.
>>
>>53300661
I like the sound of that, should it be you take a hit dice of damage and they heal that much or should they just choose how much they take?

>>53300691
>>53300705

>Healing through hit dice takes 1 hour.
Sorry, I think there was a miscommunication. I thought you meant healing yourself, not healing another person through your own resources.

>Heavy armor + Shields,
I'm aware of their higher ACs but there are also other ways of damaging targets who may not want to burn through all of their spell slots to heal themselves after getting hit by some big spell or saving throw based thing.

>>53300740
Once per day on a target sounds nice. If it turns out to be too much I probably will try this first.
>>
>>53300797
A hit die of damage would be good, to incentivize rolling.
Will it be able to scale as you level up?
>>
>>53300779
>I from experience have never had to use hit die to heal myself
What the fuck. This is definitely not the norm anywhere I've ever played or with anyone I've ever known.

>virtue
Okay, well it might be worthwhile to note temp hp won't revive anyone. Just for anyone who doesn't know that. Not telling you, specifically.

>at will healing
Again, that's why I think this is kind of strange. It's not really at will despite it being a cantrip. There ARE resources you have to expend. And what I said is true. If you use all uses of it in a day, then you only get half back the next day.
>>
>>53300822
No, I would not scale it due to it being a cantrip healing spell.
>>
>>53300691
It worked well enough for my party wizard. But Crown of Madness/Hold Person is generally better, yes. The real upside is that it lasts comparatively for fucking ever, grants no additional saves, and has multiple uses.
>>53300737
We've been doing what we can, it's just been slower and less productive than any other campaign I've ever been in and I'm getting cabin fever. I'll keep my whining to a minimum (which is mostly why I whine in these threads, because part of me doesn't mean it and the other half wants to vent anonymously).
>>
>>53300785
it doesn't matter how shitty the healing is, it literally only matters that it is free healing. 5e is stupid because no matter the level, no matter the context, you are back to full offensive power with just 1 hp. if it's the second round and the thing you are fighting doesn't have legendary actions, you can always keep the strongest damage dealer fighting, even if its take down every single round, because it is pretty much impossible for the enemy to deal instadeath damage, basically locking it to using resource on keeping it down to force the cleric to keep resources in keeping up, and not using those resource to stop anyone else from dealing damage to it, while the damage dealer get full access to all of it damage.

and this will work from the second turn and onwards because by then you'll know everyone's initiative.
>>
>>53300797
>I like the sound of that, should it be you take a hit dice of damage and they heal that much or should they just choose how much they take?
>>53300822
>A hit die of damage would be good, to incentivize rolling.
>Will it be able to scale as you level up?

In my opinion this is already a stronger version of the spell and is even more of an at-will kind of thing than before.
>>
>>53300843
yeah, i always have levitate on me just because it can be so good, but if i need to remove something from combat i will first try to use hold person even if it means using portent to keep it on.
>>
>>53300855
>free healing
You keep saying that but it's not true.
>>
>>53300797
>Other ways to damage targets
How?
If the cleric decides that they're under too much threat to just use sacred fire, they can sit down behind cover and use the dodge action and at that point attacking them is practically worthless if you have to hit 20 AC with disadvantage (or even harder than 20 AC if you make a ranged attack, or they'll be saving with +2/+5 and advantage against dex most of which being AoEs probably will only hit the cleric)
Your best option as a DM at that point is targetted saves or con saves, and I wouldn't expect a lot of monsters to have anything much like that. The cleric could even just hide around a corner and bam, they're practically immune to almost everything save for perhaps a con AoE effect like shatter on the corner.

Basically, clerics are good at becoming targets that are extremely unfavourable to fight over other teammates in exchange for them doing less in battle, but that's alright because their damage isn't anything notable - a cleric probably mostly cares about using their per-rest powers to sway the tide of a fight or maintianing concentration on a spell such as bless. And then, they can still attack at range and then hide after attacking. And if they use sacred guardians, they can sasnctuary and dodge for enemies having to make three rolls to hit - a wis save and two attacks. But I guess at that point you could use close range con saves to hurt them.
>>
>>53300855
>5e is stupid because no matter the level, no matter the context, you are back to full offensive power with just 1 hp.
What you described is why healing word is so effective. Action economy still matters. If you're using your action to heal someone that's a pretty big deal.

Also, if you're ever fighting a single big bad that doesn't have legendary actions, then that's the dumbest thing in the world.
>>
>>53300841
Then the die of damage is good.

>>53300843
Nah, you're good. You're meant to be feeling a sense of cabin fever and feeling the oppressiveness of the plane. But there're multiple avenues to success and if you keep up at it, the sun will shine over Barovia once again.
You're the heroes the people of that plane needs because you can take all that the land can dish out at you.
>>
>>53300891
Clerics are just really good.
This breaks down though if there's not any good cover to hide from dragonfire though.
Lots of spellcasters can use AoE that spread around corners, effectively ignoring cover.

To be completely honest it would probably take a lot for me to give up my hit dice instead of a first level healing word to bring someone back in combat. I still can't believe that other guy has never needed to use hit dice and claim others don't either.
>>
>>53300899
It would be a dice of damage if...
>>53300862
This guy was not right. Due to this cantrip dealing damage (a resource that can be recovered quickly) it makes it an even more abusable option to the class with the spell, even more, so a life cleric.
>>
>>53299730
Why these features?
And they're kind of small compared to most background features
>>
>>53300899
Okay, thanks.
I know it's an online game, but how the fuck does it take four fucking months to get to goddamn Vallaki and we STILL haven't leveled up since we left Death House? We've been through four threads and we're STILL LEVEL THREE. Christsakes, throw us a bone.
>>
>>53300935
This is why I always use milestones. Exp takes too fucking long and isn't really fun for anyone. Encourages murderhoboing your way through to get more exp too.
>>
>>53300935
How often and for how long do you play
>>
>>53300935
Forum games are shit and slow as fuck. Also talk to your DM for being a shit, unless they're tracking xp with milestones.
>>
>>53300147
So Champion only ever gets to second rank with its second Style? Fair, though.
>>
>>53300927
>>53300899
>>53300862
Otherwise expend double the damage die and half that to heal might be another way.
>>
>>53300921
But if they're AoEing around corners, they're first wasting the AoE on potentially only one target and secondly they might still have a second layer of cover around the corner to boost a dex save.

I just remembered something even more important -
You can't cast healing word and cure wounds the same turn. You CAN cast a healing cantrip and healing word the same turn.
I would much, much rather conserve a level 1 spell slot and use my own hitdice. Maybe it's just me, but as a cleric, I've been the only player to have never gone down.

Also, you should only rarely be in fights with no cover. Usually there should be something you can do, or else your DM's really just trying to fuck with you. 5e combats should really have a well populated environment.

But pretty much any class can become quite hard to hit if they dedicate themself to it, and lorebards/wizards/clerics with low at-will damage are the sort that should probably do that sometimes and rely on their teammates.
>>
Rolled 3, 5, 2, 5, 2, 1, 6, 5, 3, 3, 2, 5, 1, 4, 4, 5, 4, 6, 5, 5, 6, 5, 4, 1 = 92 (24d6)

Dont mind me just have to roll up a character for a new camapign. Have to pick a class first then roll 4d6 dropping the lowest, rolls are down the line, then pick a race. Sorcerer
>>
>>53300989
I think what I will do is leave the spell as is for now and if it becomes too much of a problem (like if the cleric is casting the spell without question and burning hit dice and does it without an ounce of thought constantly and it does not negatively affect them overall.) I will make it once per long rest like the Alchemist's Healing Draught.

Thanks for all of the help anon's.
>>
Rolled 5, 1, 2, 6, 5, 6, 3, 1, 1, 5, 5, 6 = 46 (12d6)

Rollan 12d6+6

Will post character sheet.
>>
>>53300997
>they're first wasting the AoE on potentially only one target and secondly they might still have a second layer of cover around the corner to boost a dex save.
None of those things are necessarily true. They're just as true as me saying there's no cover at all. It's all circumstantial. These hypothetical scenarios are all depending on the DM. I don't disagree that clerics are hard to kill, just as every class can be as you mentioned. But if the DM needs to hurt you, they can easily find a way if your AC is getting in the way of that.

About the hit dice thing. I can only imagine this ever being the case where I'd rather spend hit dice if I were participating in 5 minute long adventuring days. That's really the only reason that hit dice would never be relevant.

Because now instead of being able to heal yourself later for 1d8 + con, you're giving that up and only healing someone else for 1d8. A worse trade.
>>
>>53301087
12 Str
13 Dex
17 Con
10 Int
11 Wis
17 Cha
>>
>>53301120
Rolled STR 26, DEX 25, CON 30, INT 26, WIS 24, CHA 30, what can I make?
>>
>>53301147
Paladin/Monk
>>
Rolled 6, 5, 5, 4, 6, 1, 3, 6, 5, 1, 4, 6 + 6 = 58 (12d6 + 6)

>>53301087
>>
>>53293837
Wu Jen
- Disguise Self
- Web
- Spider-climb

Discipline are..
- Brute Force
- Bestial Form
- Precognition

Sing spider-man theme while playing.
>>
I've been given the option to change my Wizard subclass. What one would you consider the most fun and why?

Also what are the best 2nd level spells other then Hold Person?
>>
Anyone have creative ideas for a good level 11 arcane half-caster damage improvement? Improved Divine Smite ripoffs are fair enough, but feels too derivative.
>>
>>53293837
Halfling Soul Knife with the Lucky feat at level 14. You'll never miss.
>>
>>53301182

Rope Trick is fantastic if you're creative with it. Loremaster is unironically insanely fun, but it's so overpowered that it probably won't be allowed. I'm fond of Transmuter and Diviner. Necromancer if the game is at higher levels-command undead is fun as hell.
>>
>>53301163
17 Str
15 Dex
13 Con
15 Int
12 Wus
16 Cha

You can pull of the MADest multiclass in the game.

>>53301147
What did your roll?

The method is roll 12d6.
Every 2d6 down the line is added with a base 6 and the end result is your stat that can range from 8 to 18.
>>
>>53301163
17, 16, 13, 15, 12, 16

18 (17+1) STR
16 (15+1) DEX
16 CON
12 INT
13 WIS
18 (16+2) CHA

Half-Elf Hexblade or GOO bladelock or Oathbreaker at that point...
>>
>>53301182
Diviner is the most fun. You have the best narrative changing power.

NPC trying to lie or stealth? Well they got a 2 on their rolls now...
>>
File: sweaty-bond.gif (3MB, 413x233px) Image search: [Google]
sweaty-bond.gif
3MB, 413x233px
Do I want to make a zen archer mystic with the Nomad stuff or do I want to make a notWizard with Wu Jen or do I want to do straight up battlefield control/warlord shit with Awakened disciplines?
>>
>>53301160
Good one.

>>53301207
I rolled godly stats ;^)
>>
>>53301265
All of them. Find more time and tables.
>>
>>53301202
I know it often gets bad reputation but is Evoker any good? My character was in the military and the idea of throwing out powerful AoE spells and my teammates not being harmed seems fun.

The other options I'm considering are Enchanter because the at-will hold spell seems awesome even if it chews my action or the Wizard Artificer. Being able to have give out buff potions and scrolls to other arcane casters seems handy.

>>53301231
You have to see the creature so the stealth thing doesn't work because being unable to be seen is part of attempting to hide.

The lie thing seems rather stupid because an NPC rolling to lie is a dead give away that they're lying. Wouldn't making you roll insight be what most DM's do?
>>
File: character.pdf (783KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
character.pdf
783KB, 1x1px
>>53301120
Finished character.
>>
File: 1406739063577.gif (584KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1406739063577.gif
584KB, 500x281px
>>53301202
>Rope Trick

You guys aren't cute, and you aren't creative. You're a dime a dozen, and the lot of you just ape all the "good ideas/uses" that you find on the internet. It's time to stop bringing that shit to the table.

Remove this fucking meme from the game already.
>>
>>53301317
Evoker is alright. I personally find it relatively dull, and feel that except for Sculpt Spell it doesn't really get anything too nice or game-changing, but it does the job and along with Abjurer is perhaps the most reliable subclass. I'd actually recommend Theurge with the Tempest domain over it-you get Destructive Wave, which is your ally-selective AoE, plus the heals and utility of Cleric spells in general.

Artificer is very good if your DM lets you take it-it isn't the Artificer people are used to, so it got a bad response, but it's still a very effective and versatile wizard subclass.
>>
>>53301328
He asked for a strong spell, and I gave him one generally considered to be strong-not like it has too much competition at second level anyway, beyond obvious shit like Invisibility.
>>
>Wizard nearly dies to a mimic one time
>He's now incredibly paranoid and never touches anything without first grabbing it with mage hand
This is getting annoying to sit through
>>
>>53301207
herp i did miscount.

also enough stats to play the str unarmed dragonborn monk with dragon hide.

19 (17+2) STR
16 DEX
15 CON
12 INT
15 WIS
14 (13+1) CHA
>>
>>53301318
http://orcpub2.herokuapp.com/index.html
Use this next time.
>>
>>53301352
Alright, I'll ask about Theurge because it does seem like a good fit for the character. My DM might be a bit cautious of it but I think I'm on her good side for now.

If not I'll do either Enchanter or Artificer. Also just realised the Artificer gets Wizard healing, so that's pretty cool.
>>
>>53301116
I'd say it's better to say that the circumstances you can't keep your distance or you have corners and/or cover is circumstansial in itself, especially if you can haul something along to use as cover (And thus are only stopped when you don't have time to set up cover)

If you're saying it doesn't include con though, I think it might balance out. I think usually the wording entails you add your con mod, but then again that might be solely for short rests.
If you make it so that you don't add your con mod I'd say the only concern is it's still a pretty tempting pick if you want to heal two people in one turn (The 'you can use it and healing word in the same turn' part), but then spells like mass healing word also exist.. So I guess it's fine as a cantrip.
>>
>>53301376
>>53301163
>adjusted for point buy
>51 point
ha ha no. and people defend this shit?
>>
>>53297341
I'm intending to use a creature with the Tarrasque's stats in my campaign, for more or less the same role as the Nightmare serves in Prey.

There's a whole plane in my game dedicated to "treasure" (that's actually holding the world together) and once the players start removing it, the Nightmare shows up and roams around. The more they take, the more dedicated it is to finding them.

I'm not intending to have them fight it. I want them to see it, see it as a massive annihilator, and run in the opposite direction, or hide.
>>
>>53298917
Today is the day we watched an anon have an aneurysm.
>>
>>53297341
Our DM had the Tarrasque as one of multiple themed super-monsters, alongside the Ziz, Charybdis and some other creatures, who an NPC party spent some time up to gather to send against servants of Tharizdun (we were busy actually fighting said servants directly).

In the end a lich ended up stealing the Tarrasque's corpse, reanimating it and using it as a siege tower when he invaded Mount Celestia. He was a pretty cool guy, though.
>>
About to GM for the first time!

This is the plan so far (going to play on Roll20):
>sort of a 5 Room Dungeon
>villagers complain about goblins/lizardfolk/haven't decided yet snatching their sheep and cattle, pitchfork militia and even a few lowly adventurers went to track the stolen animals, haven't returned
>party (starting at 5th level) arrives at a cave w/stalagmites where they fight off the guardians, proceed to find that the cave transitions into a man-made dungeon, entrance is sealed
>booming voice introduces himself as the dragon who is about to run them through a trial of wits
>puzzle gauntlet ensues, haven't thought of good puzzles yet, ideas:
>a sealed door with a human figure carved on it, in the center of the room floats a sundial with a magical light resembling the sun, four pressure plates in the room (you could probably guess what this one's about)
>a match-the-mirror puzzle with torches and shadows (realized through fog of war), gotta match the shadows with how they are in the reflection
>possibly something involving magical silence and communication in gestures?
>last trial is just the dragon asking them a really simple kid's riddle

Next is the boss, should be some monstrosity/beast, released from a cage by the dragon's minions (lizardfolk? kobolds?)
Last room is the players finding out the dragon is actually a dragon cub whose mom left somewhere and didn't come back, so the minions stole food for him. He likes it when people come to play. Most are so dull they die to the guardians, though, or starve in the puzzle rooms - the ones that his mother ordered to be made, not the last one. The last one he "made" himself, and is pretty proud of it. Shame no one before lived long enough to go through it.

This is probably terribly uninspired, but I'm really pressed for time. Would like some advice on what monsters to put in the encounters to make it work for 4 5th-level adventurers and take longer than 3 minutes, maybe ideas for other puzzles as well.
>>
>>53301456
Back in my day we had to trek through 2 miles of snow before we could have an aneurysm.
>>
>>53300147
Guardsman -> Sentinel makes a lot of sense, though I feel it's the only one that really justifies having split branches for some of these.

The Death Saving Throw proficiency is neat too.

Have you thought about doing the few Styles in the UAs too?
>>
>>53301489
The idea is to also drop hints that the dragon isn't all that mighty or mature along the way through the trials, culminating in him sitting in a hidden room on a tiny hoard of a bunch of silver and copper coins to emulate grown-ups. This'll probably be a one-shot, but if it isn't, could be a hook to find his mom or something, dragons' favour sounds like a swell deal for both profit-bent characters and virtuous ones (reuniting mother and child).
>>
>>53301515
Eh, thought about it but honestly I get bored easily and will probably never touch the thing again.

If anyone wants to steal it go ahead.
>>
>>53293837
Mystic 5, Barbarian 5, Fighter 3, Rogue 1, Ranger 1, Paladin 1, Cleric 1, Warlock 1, Wizard 1, Sorcerer 1
>>
>>53293799
Isn't there an inheritor background in SCAG that covers this kind of request?
>>
>>53301780
I looked it up and there is, but it doesn't, however it could probably be adapted to be useful.
>>
Wait. At level 3 I've found another Wizard's spellbook (LMoP Glassstaff) and now I know 14 spells... This seems pretty fucking good at level 3 even if I only have 6 prepared.
>>
>>53301328
>knot liking Rope Trick

Hang yourself.
>>
>>53301841
So you gained 4 spells known. Considering spell costs and that you didn't get to choose what spells and that you're supposed to ALSO pay money to transcribe it and that wizard's main thing aside from ritual casting from book is knowing a lot of spells.. It all seems fine. Heck, it's kinda weak if you got it instead of a powerful item, but it's worth about as much as a weak magic item.
>>
>>53301182
What was your subclass originally?

They can all be fun on the right characters, but fuck bladesingers/1clericdippers/warmagic/lorewizard. If you want a tanky wizard, do a dwarf wizard or abjuration wizard.
>>
>>53301893
Well. I was a Bladesinger Human. My DM's said no to Theurge which is fair because my character's not shown a single trace of religious belief.

So I'm stuck between Enchanter and Artificer.
>>
>>53301906
I'd honestly go with enchanter. Fuck most of the non-core stuff on a class that already has the most archetypes.
>>
>>53301932
That's what I'm feeling, plus the Charm seems like a decent alternative to melee cantrips for combat.
>>
>>53301940
>>53301940
>>53301940
New thread. Migrate. Or don't, I'm not your mom.
>>
>>53294106
You'll have to homebrew it. You could always make it a barbarian subclass, makes sense RP-wise.
>>
>>53299070
i have neither of those, i'm actually a kobold fighter, so there's that.
>>
File: 1481412133461s.jpg (3KB, 117x125px) Image search: [Google]
1481412133461s.jpg
3KB, 117x125px
>>53300268
This gave me Warcraft 3 flashbacks with the cultists and infected grain.

That asshole wizard....Kel'thuzad
>>
>>53297140
Large creatures can squeeze through medium spaces, officially.
>>
>>53298307
You can get your weapon silvered, you can be an EK and learn magic weapon, you can rely on your party for help, you can fight the majority of enemies at every level that don't require magic weapons, and you can eat a dick.
Thread posts: 432
Thread images: 42

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.