[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Legend of the Five Rings General: Caught the Less Penizem Edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 215
Thread images: 42

File: doji hotaru.jpg (253KB, 848x1200px) Image search: [Google]
doji hotaru.jpg
253KB, 848x1200px
L5R general, for all your CCG, LCG and RPG discussion needs.

For those not in the know (somehow), AEG sold L5R to Fantasy Flight Games last gen con, FFG is getting ready to launch the new LCG later this year and has been putting out a slow trickle of news and previews over the last month or so.

Here's the announcement post and three mechanics updates for anyone who hasn't seen them yet:
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/4/19/legend-of-the-five-rings-the-card-game/
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/4/26/crafting-a-dynasty/
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/5/3/the-conflicts-of-rokugan/
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/5/10/Banzai/

Fluff is reset to pre-Clan War. Doji Hoturi is now a girl and also gay for Bayushi Kachiko, so they did definitely preserve that key aspect of the character. Spider are out, Mantis are pirates, and everything is gravy. Probably. The first fiction we got is here, starring Doji Hotaru. We're likely to get one per clan over the coming months to Gen Con.
https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/93/49/9349a75f-bf47-4818-9cdf-64eb3f92c423/her_fathers_daughter.pdf

So, in the spirit of kicking off discussion: What is your favorite clan and what changes do you hope FFG might slide in there during this wild west, anything goes reset period?

And if you're an RPG player, what are your hopes and fears for the inevitable 5e that FFG puts out in 2018 probably?
>>
File: Moto_Chen_XP3.jpg (96KB, 900x644px) Image search: [Google]
Moto_Chen_XP3.jpg
96KB, 900x644px
>>53289914
Unicorn here. Hopefully the purple ponies won't be shit like they were in Gold. I will miss multiple province battles in a single attack phase. That shit was what made the 'corn fun to play.

As for the RPG, I hope they keep the Roll and Keep system. I fear we're getting snowflake dice to the tune of five elemental rings, honor, glory, status, and tainted dice. Shit has the potential to be a huge cash grab.
>>
>>53289914
>What is your favorite clan and what changes do you hope FFG might slide in there during this wild west, anything goes reset period?

My favorites are the Crane and the Spider (I am not a fan of the Horde). I'm hoping that if the Spider get brought back they do so in a way that other players do not feel is a slap in the face.

>And if you're an RPG player, what are your hopes and fears for the inevitable 5e that FFG puts out in 2018 probably?
I hope they keep the Roll and Keep system and fear that they will use SWTOR's dice system.

I want them to make a wide variety of weapons viable.
>>
>>53290098
>. I fear we're getting snowflake dice to the tune of five elemental rings, honor, glory, status, and tainted dice. Shit has the potential to be a huge cash grab.

That's my fear too, but they bought RnK as part of the game buy and FFG didn't throw out the 40k system when they started producing their own games for the license after buying the extant Dark Heresy. So fingers crossed.

In the absolute worst case I'm not opposed to continuing to run 4e. It has a ton of support, and the Imperial Histories books give plenty of eras to play in which are fully detailed for GM and player use. Not to mention the new canon, since it is possible they'll go a whole weird new direction once the story gets rolling.
>>
File: bayushi kachiko 1.jpg (37KB, 640x425px) Image search: [Google]
bayushi kachiko 1.jpg
37KB, 640x425px
>>53290138
I doubt we'll get Spider for a long time if ever given how toxic they were to swathes of the player base. How does your new Crane champion make you feel? She's got it bad for Kachiko.
>>
I gotta say I'm a little disappointed to see no preview cards in the Cranepost.
>>
>>53290652
Can't all be mechanics. We already got one example conflict done, what more mechanic posts would you be thinking we'd get?
>>
>>53290345
>I doubt we'll get Spider for a long time if ever given how toxic they were to swathes of the player base.
The toxicity in my eyes was often overblown and the result of really bad story choices by the AEG brand members. People blamed the Spider as a concept when the actual problem was the brand team doing stupid things when stuff was starting to get properly stabilized.

>How does your new Crane champion make you feel? She's got it bad for Kachiko.
As for Hotaru being in love with Kochiko? I'm ok with it. The conflicts of love and duty were always a big part of samurai fiction. I also think I understand where they are planning to go with Hotaru.
>>
>>53291084
>I also think I understand where they are planning to go with Hotaru.

She's going to destroy herself because she thinks her lover killed her hated father? I bet Kachiko didn't even do it, is the funny part.
>>
>>53291084
For me it had more to do with the fact that the Spider pretty much shit all over the metaphysics of the setting. The taint went from something utterly beyond the control of any living thing to just another source of super powers.
>>
>>53291083
Just some cards. A generic Daidoji, a conflict card, Maybe a Hoturi card assuming that the champions are getting in the Core set.
>>
>>53289914
Favorite clans are Scorpion, Crab, & Dragon, in order. Really excited for a 5e announcement, even if it uses funky dice, since those work pretty well in Star Wars.
>>
>>53291124
More that she will be the naive newcomer of the 7 champions with the most room to grow.

>>53291126
Can't really argue with you on that. Which is why I was less a fan of the use taint aspects and more a fan of the dark samurai aspects.
>>
>>53289914
Favourite clan? I would probably have to say Badger. Honey badger.
>>
>>53291205
I'm hoping that the core set is all generics so that expansions from any fluff era can just slot right in with it.
>>
>>53291610
>Ichiro-san has misplaced the shits he was going to give you as a gift. As it is you will find he is absent any fucks for your problem. So sorry. Try again tomorrow, Doji-san. Surely he will have found kore by then
>>
Feed me more info on the Unicorn clan. I never got the chance to get into L5R when it was a CCG and think I settled on a clan but want to know more about it even if the story stuff is being changed with FFG's version.
>>
>>53292318
The Unicorn left the empire early on and picked up a bunch of weird customs and clanmates on their loooong journey back. As a result, most of Rokugan considers them to be weirdos. They're big on cavalry, and the Moto family is distinctly Mongolian.
They get along well with the Crab clan.
>>
>>53291612
I'm pretty sure that there's some named cards, but given how this set is evergreen I figure in the future there'll always be some equivalent 'Spirit Of' kind of characters in the fluff.
>>
Bump it, fools!
>>
>>53290163
>and FFG didn't throw out the 40k system when they started producing their own games for the license after buying the extant Dark Heresy.
But they did throw out the WHFRP system when they bought that, and replaced it with not only special snowflake dice but also a pile of other expensive peripherals that ended up only killing the game in the end simply due to the cost barrier they created.
While I doubt FFG will do something that stupid again, they're still 1:1 here.
>>
>>53291612
There are some specific characters. The clan champions are in as well as at least a few more per clan based on what they've shown so far.
>>
https://discord.gg/qWt2YVp

link to the /tg/ discord
>>
>>53290098
>>53290138

We are still here? Just to suffer? Every night, I can feel my feels.
>>
I just realized something.

Shouldn't she know that Yoritomo is the champion of a Minor Clan? This seems like incredibly odd phrasing to describe anyone but a ronin.
>>
File: ss (2017-05-17 at 08.08.28).jpg (17KB, 571x49px) Image search: [Google]
ss (2017-05-17 at 08.08.28).jpg
17KB, 571x49px
>>53294636
wrong image. image related
>>
>>53294663
It depends if the Mantis are still considered a minor clan in the new timeline. If not, then her phrasing is considered appropriate. If they are, then it's really 50/50 as she has a whole bunch of shit on her mind and they are just a minor clan that is out in some islands.
>>
>>53294720
Is "pirates" a good way to refer to the armies of a minor clan?
>>
>>53294735
For low honor thugs prancing around as samurai as they are raiding illegally? Sure, they are pirates
>>
>>53294735
It's in her own head. She'd be more polite if she was actually talking about a clan, I'm sure.
>>
>>53294799
You'd think she's be more harsh if she had a grip of the situation. It really does seem like she's just aware of vague details.
>>
>>53294735
It's probably a good way to talk about the fleet of a minor clan that is questionably legal who regularly raid up and down the Crane coast when they aren't pretending to have authority over the sea in general. Before becoming a great clan, they didn't even have a proper Family name. Or rather, they had one, but then it was revoked and all members killed for attempting some bullshit against the Emperor.
>>
>>53290345
>How does your new Crane champion make you feel? She's got it bad for Kachiko.
Thus far it feels like change for change's sake (and "modern" "progressive" values), rather than a genuine fresh take on things. Using existing characters to say "Look! We're different!"
>>
File: ss (2017-05-17 at 08.23.29).jpg (15KB, 595x46px) Image search: [Google]
ss (2017-05-17 at 08.23.29).jpg
15KB, 595x46px
Because she seems to be at least aware of the islands of spice and silk. You'd think she might have thought differently when seeing the item from the location that the "illegitimate" Mantis Clan owns.
>>
>>53294900
You can appreciate something pretty from a place that's run by godawful people. Just look at Hollywood.
>>
>>53294888
>Using existing characters to say "Look! We're different!"

I got the impression that this is exactly what they were going for. Changing only a few old characters slightly and hinting at a bunch of old plot threads, while implying others are now impossible is an easy way to express that this is a new timeline with new rules and plots, but it's still Rokugan in this era. I thought it was pretty clever myself.
>>
>>53294888
It makes her affair with Kachiko even more shameful while showing us that it is impossible for them to have a kid. To those familiar with the story, that indicates that things may go in a significantly different direction this time.
>>
When the FFG timeline eventually gets to the Mantis ascension to Great Clan I really hope they make it less infuriating and Mary Sue-ish.

They should have been eradicated and stricken from history for the bullshit they pulled.
>>
>>53294923
>I got the impression that this is exactly what they were going for.
I don't doubt it.

>>53294979
>It makes her affair with Kachiko even more shameful while showing us that it is impossible for them to have a kid.
That's exactly why it's less shameful.
>>
>>53294996
I really hope they don't become a Great Clan because

1) The Mantis using boats against the Dragon's Strongholds is stupid, as well as the myriad other similar flavor fails
2) The game doesn't need more factions. 7 is already plenty. There's no need to dilute the card pool further.
3) Dragon already has emerald green. What color would they even be?

I think cards for minor clans will show up as neutral cards that cost influence, but not full-blown factions.
>>
>>53294996
Yeah, a minor clan alliance becoming a great clan of their own could be a good story. I'd like to see them do it without rewarding a traitor, though.

>>53295094
>What color would they even be?
Maybe they won't even be Mantis. Wasp clan yellow, perhaps?
>>
>>53294996
>When the FFG timeline eventually gets to the Mantis ascension to Great Clan
Honestly, I'd rather FFG says 'fuck the Mantis, we are sticking with the Minor Clan Alliance'.

Fewer problems with legitimacy, each minor clan remains their own thing and doesn't get green-washed into Yoritomo lite, but they still combine into a formidable faction within the setting - and later, maybe, the LCG.
>>
File: asahina asahiko.jpg (195KB, 1280x1011px) Image search: [Google]
asahina asahiko.jpg
195KB, 1280x1011px
So anyone who played the CCG around? How do you feel about mechanics they've unveiled so far? And if you were a single clan player, do you plan to hew to the same clan again or maybe use the LCG model to diversify your prospects?
>>
>>53295266
>each minor clan remains their own thing and doesn't get green-washed into Yoritomo lite
This, right here, is the sole reason I fucking hated the mantis from a meta game perspective.
>>
File: doji seo.jpg (60KB, 540x398px) Image search: [Google]
doji seo.jpg
60KB, 540x398px
>>
File: bow.jpg (170KB, 1399x1000px) Image search: [Google]
bow.jpg
170KB, 1399x1000px
>>
File: earth becomes fuck you.jpg (322KB, 1280x1011px) Image search: [Google]
earth becomes fuck you.jpg
322KB, 1280x1011px
Good night, samurai-sans. I hope you're still here when I wake up tomorrow.

Stay honorable. Or at least loyal if you must wear red and black.
>>
File: ghost story.jpg (217KB, 1024x808px) Image search: [Google]
ghost story.jpg
217KB, 1024x808px
>>
>>53295955
>mechanics
I think the game looks really interesting so far. Originally, I felt weird about every personality being temporary, but I've warmed up to it.
It seems like it will be easier to teach new players now based on how the cards themselves are a bit more simple. However, I don't think that translates into a loss of complexity considering all the decisions you'll still be making every turn.
All in all, I'm very excited for it, and I have let my hype peak way too early.

>clan loyalty
I got into the CCG at three different times and played as a different clan for each one. I'll probably be mostly loyal to one clan for organized games, but hell if I know which one. The LCG model definitely makes it easier to jump around, though.
>>
>>53296821
>kanshi.jpg
>>
Here's a permanent link to the L5R Discord:

https://discord.gg/nvVX9Wb

Features RP and discussions,
Looking for group section,
Lots of resources,
And morrreeee!
>>
>>53289914
>11 pages
>13+ megabytes

What the literal ever-living fuck? Are they trying to infest me with a trojan?
>>
>>53298521
High resolution art assets can drive up the bit count drastically.
>>
anyone have more of the new l5r art. Definitely love the art style
>>
I want to play a Kaiu Engineer with the Berserker path (too much exam stress) who builds his(or her) own gear while smashing people with a super dai tsuchi and laughing at the shadowlands. Bonus: descendant of Kaiu so he/she has a chance to make nemuranai every year.
>>
>>53291965
You, I like you. We should go to honor the Emperor together.
>>
>>53299558
>Bonus: descendant of Kaiu so he/she has a chance to make nemuranai every year.
Pretty sure that's not a requirement, mate.
>>
>>53289914
I have a question for all the elegan/tg/entlemen out here who play honourable samurai as the game intends in the eyes of the emperor and the Heavens...

How do you guys usually award Honor? There is a page in 4th edition L5R that says in which circumstances a samurai gains or loses honor. So how do you guys do it? Do you follow the rules for it step by step or do you take some freedom with it?

Also, why is it that GMs always try to hamper the players from letting the character gain honor? Sometimes I feel like the storytellers I play with want my character to just take honor hit after honor hit until they are at 0 honor or some shit. Like that is any fun. What's up with that?
>>
>>53301054
The Kaiu ancestor allows a roll at TN 50 every year to make a nemuranai item. Granted that doesn't mean they have to have the Kaiu family name. Pretty sure those of Kaiu's blood married into other family's and the First Carpenter might bestow his favor upon them if they come back to study at his school.

I wanted to spin the prayer ritual to Kaiu as arms and armor maintenance, where our hero(ine) stills his/her soul and communes with Kaiu even as s/he polishes and sharpens those of his comrades' .
>>
>>53301062
My favourite honour house rule thus far; honour adjustments are logged during the day, but totalled while sleeping. It gives you some time to adjust your ways between acting less honourably and the result.

Glory functions similarly, but totals when you write (and send) a letter to your lord detailing your accomplishments. (or someone else mentions you)
>>
>>53301169
I like that rule
>>
>>53301167
So it does. I just wouldn't expect that to be the only way in which you could craft a nemuranai. Maybe the only way you could craft one without a shugenja and heirloom tools or rare materials.
>>
>>53301355
Yeah, I'm just saying that it's the one GUARANTEED way to do it.

I imagine like, for instance there's a battered old axe in the Damned Berserkers' keeping that's been covered in so much Hida and oni blood that it's awakened as a bloodthirsty nemuranai that lives to slaughter the Shadowlands and it will drag its wielder to hell (literally) and back to do it.
>>
>>53301062
That table is intended as a guideline, it says so right next to it. So some freedom is expected.
>>
>>53301062
I tally at the end of sessions unless someone did something major in the middle. Problem with my game is the opposite of yours, I can't seem to stop my players from getting high honor. They're too damned polite and considerate to their enemies.
>>
>>53301062
I generally award after the session. I send out an email with all Honor, Glory, and Status changes. With Honor I generally itemize them and if a player disagrees with a gain/loss I let him make the case. My players tend to hang in the 5-7 range.
>>
Anyone else feel genderswapping Hotori is an egregiously shallow and pandering move with no genuine narrative design behind it?
>>
>>53304040
>no genuine narrative design behind it

Insufficient data.
>>
>>53304163
Hence "feel," as in suspect or believe. I would be happy to be proven wrong, but I can't see it happening.
>>
File: 1428611359474.jpg (34KB, 461x433px) Image search: [Google]
1428611359474.jpg
34KB, 461x433px
>>53304040
I wholeheartedly encourage them to continue pandering to my dick.

But it's also a way of showing that at least one story line is now impossible. It's a message to the audience that things will be different but familiar.
>>
>>53304182
Eh, lesbian characters are always at risk of being there purely for titillation but for the time being I want to give them the benefit of the doubt.
>>
>>53304040
I thought I read somewhere they were genderswapping some champions to have their gender line up with the Kami to each clan, and that was one of the reasons.
>>
File: how bow dah.jpg (23KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
how bow dah.jpg
23KB, 480x270px
>>53304891
That is the theory I've been hearing too. The new Unicorn champ is a grrl-khan. I genuinely was surprised at the champion level lezzing in the fiction though. It seemed a little OOC for Kachiko.
>>
>>53304934
Kachiko has Hotaru wrapped around her fingers using her charisma and sex appeal. I think that is pretty in character for her. If she has a fun time while exploiting the girl, what's the harm? To her at least.
>>
>>53304414
i think >>53304040
means it in the sense of pandering to the LGBT and SJW crowd
these days, just as likely as pandering to dudes with a thing for lesbians
>>
>>53295955
Im pretty ok with it mechanically. Seems neat, I'm glad they kept the 2 deck system. Its familiar enough and looks to be overall less brutal to learn, which is a good thing.
I'll still be Dragon for any given tournament, but it'll be easier to build decks for other clans (I still built a ton of decks for other clans)
>>
>>53307016
>I'll still be Dragon for any given tournament,

Speaking of LCG Dragon, we kind of got a look at them in the play example. I don't know how I feel about their schtick being keyed off rings. That seems like that will see diminishing returns for them as a turn goes on and more rings get claimed.
>>
>>53306844
I'd be more likely to suspect that if they'd flipped Kachiko to male, though it's possible they're trying to thread the needle and hit both titillation and diversity at the same time.

Also it'd be silly to think homosexuality is out of place in samurai stories.
>>
Scorpion here - love t he new edition and a chance to shape history once more. Have good confidance in FFG and their understanding that this is not netrunner - you cannot unbalance factions because players are VERY attached to them and pushing history is very important part of the game to players like me. If FFG does the game so I will be forced to play crab in turnaments I wont be in for long ...
>>
>>53307675
>Also it'd be silly to think homosexuality is out of place in samurai stories.

But this isn't man on boy stuff, which was the thing. I mean I don't care and actually think we might get some interesting new drama if they actually go through with this full bore, but it isn't the homosex one would expect in a samurai tale.

I actually want to see them address whether lesbians are more or less bad than a normal extramarital affair and see how Hotaru handles it as the Scorpion rivalry spins out of control. Also she seems like she does like her new husband a bit so that's always a pretty meaty story hook if that liking grows.
>>
>>53289914
>Mantis are pirates
So nothing changed?
>>
>>53307784
Well we don't even know if they're an MC right now or just Yoritomo's yo ho ho band. My gut says they'll probably be an MC and reset to pre-clan war but until we get confirmation it is just speculating.
>>
>>53304040
They certainly got the whole 'lesbian with daddy issues' bit down pat.
>>
>>53294735
>>53294799
>>53294757
>>53294636
>Crane lesbian bitch who risks her own life out of some sort of pride for her own ways
>Giving enough of a fuck about a minor clan of thugs who raid shit with their ships to remember they are a minor clan at all and not just another flavor of bandit

It was totally in character for her to call them pirates without much of a thought.
>>
File: 1437832337519.jpg (61KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
1437832337519.jpg
61KB, 600x800px
>>
File: boarding action.jpg (431KB, 1280x943px) Image search: [Google]
boarding action.jpg
431KB, 1280x943px
>>53307829
Plus, its her mental dialogue. Nobody to be polite or explicate to. "That fucking pirate Yoritomo" is all her personal context for him.
>>
>>53304040
Can you really genderswap a Crane though?
>>
>>53309723
Something something singing trap shota
>>
>>53306844
>panders to men who like pictures of beautiful women
>panders to women who want more female major characters
>panders to homosexuals
With so few people left out, can you even call it pandering anymore?
>>
>>53310468
I am glad Touhoufag gave up on L5R.
>>
File: crane.jpg (7KB, 188x188px) Image search: [Google]
crane.jpg
7KB, 188x188px
>>53290345
As one of the most traditional clans, the fact that the Crane Champion isn't Kuwanan is pretty much a slap in the face of all the old lore. A daughter would be married off, preferably to an Imperial, a son would inherit the clan. Satsume would have it no other way.

Anything less is bullshit of normal proportions for the lore of this setting.

Money cannot buy a lick of fucking sense, or understanding of a setting even though it can by IP rights...
>>
>>53310617
>Anything less is bullshit of normal proportions for the lore of this setting.

No lore from the old version is inherently canon.
>>
>>53310617
There have been at least three female Crane Champions in the history of the game, Doji herself, Doji Heijiko in the 6th century, and Doji Domotai. It certainly wouldn't be unheardof.
>>
>>53310924
And was Doji Satsume, Emerald Champion and sensei of Hantei XXXIX the father of any of them? Yeah, didn't think so. Also, one was a Kami, and founder, she gets a pass from anyone. Then from 1000 years of history, a decent 50+ potential Champions, assuming little to no deaths and same generation inheritances, 2 women were champions. And Satsume has a male heir to inherit...

That is some fucking Hidden Emperor level of bullshit there. Ignore anything resembling the lore and just make shit up.

Same shit, different owner.
>>
>>53311258
Most champions are unnamed and undetailed.
>>
File: aasimar samurai.jpg (183KB, 900x1200px) Image search: [Google]
aasimar samurai.jpg
183KB, 900x1200px
Hey all,

I played the L5R CCG a bit back in 2012-ish, and casually followed the lore for a couple years before that. How would I go about getting into the RPG? Any places you know of where I can find books or groups willing to tolerate a newbie?

Thanks!
>>
>>53311313
Doesn't change the fact that Satsume is not one of them. Read up on him, and get back once you have a basic lore education.
>>
>>53311345

>>53192516
>>
>>53311345
I'm actually looking for a player for a new game. How can I contact you to see if you'd be a good fit?
>>
>>53311376
Appreciated!
>>
>>53311353
Consider the changed family dynamic of his wife actually having the daughter she always wanted. Her suicide was what drove wedge between satsuma and hoturi. With a stronger reason to not kill herself, the events leading to satsuma's later behavior would never happen.
Basically, the genderswap literally changed a huge chunk of the character's backstory in regards to parental love and affection.
>>
>>53311553
Doubtful. She will likely still be dead, just now for other reasons. Perhaps even good ones Satsume can blame Hoturi for. There friction, was one of the leading reasons for Hoturi's efforts to both be the best, and womanize like crazy to avoid his father and his constant criticisms. They get rid of that, and they begin a rewrite of even the backstory. At that point you have L5R Episode 1: The Scorpion Menance.

To which I, at least, will say "Fuck and You, good sir. And goodbye."
>>
>>53311514
For some reason it's not working right. Can you make sure it's right?
>>
>>53311685
zacman1#3644 is mine.
>>
>>53311679
Even if she does die (even for literally the same reason) the fact that she would have loved hoturi way more would have affected satsume. He had explicitly wanted to marry her, which means he cared about her on some level. If that doesn't significantly change Hoturi's backstory, then they're completely changing Teinko's motivations and backstory.
Either way, you lose it seems.
>>
>>53311685
Right, shit. My name is all one word. Friend request has been sent.
>>
>>53311754
Yep. Seems that way. But not for your stated reasons. Just for their fucking around in the backstory/characters for the lols.

As far as your logic, no. Teinko's love of Hoturi didn't stop Satsume in the original story. And it wasn't lacking, or in any way unapparent to Satsume. Truth is Satsume was a bastard. Typical Japanese bastard-style father. And that, in a traditional minded clan, such as the Crane, would pass her ass over for a Kuwanan in a heartbeat.

Making Hoturi a female, while cool in the lipstick lesbians in the backroom way, fucks over any consistency with the old lore. All the shit that was solidified in the lore pre-coup is going out the fucking window for the Crane. They are going to have to rewrite all of it. And that means my love of the Crane clan will not bring me to this new game. No brand loyalty when the brand is bent over and subjected to surprise buttsex in the retcon room.

So yeah, I'm fucked. I hoped that new owners would correct mistakes rather then repeat them. As throwing out the cool setting and trying to fucking rape it over and over again was really stale and probably a good reason for the flagging sales.
>>
>>53312004
Satsume passing over the eldest heir (who is known to be competent) in favor of a younger child would have fucked the lore even more. It would have completely changed the Clan's Dynamics even if it didn't spark a civil war (which it could have). Generally, bypassing the proper line of succession is a bad idea. And since Rokugan has been pretty egalitarian for about an irl decade, I really doubt that FFG is using the oldest lore sources as a base to jump off.
>>
File: KNTmo61.jpg (44KB, 430x600px) Image search: [Google]
KNTmo61.jpg
44KB, 430x600px
New card spoiled. The design laziness continues; this card is literally a 1:1 copy of A Gift of Arbor Red.
https://thronesdb.com/card/02104
>>
File: 1338121638491.jpg (48KB, 460x300px) Image search: [Google]
1338121638491.jpg
48KB, 460x300px
>>53312082
Except for the whole, Crane marry their women off to secure alliances and political prominence, THAT IS THE ENTIRE FUCKING POINT of the Crane clan.

Satsume not marrying Hoturu off and letting the Championship fall to his preferred child in this setting, is pure bullshit.

He didn't do it in the original because Hoturi was male and he couldn't pull that shit off without an Empress level arranged marriage.

Just stop. You completely miss the point of the Crane, their history, their lore and how the characters should act given their previous versions and the interactions.

Just like the new devs it seems.
>>
>>53312004
>fucks over any consistency with the old lore.
>They are going to have to rewrite all of it.
Good! The old lore was compete fucking trash! You have to be wearing a helmet and constantly accompanied by a handler tier retarded to think otherwise.

>And that means my love of the Crane clan will not bring me to this new game
Don't let the door hit you on the way out.
>>
>>53312305
I'm not actually mad, I think there's only so many basic tricks card games can do and a lot of the common ones should get out in the early core stuff so the writers can try to do weird shit later which may or may not work unlike tried and tested 'reveal X shit' or 'discard a card from the enemy's hand with Y victory condition'.
>>
>>53312311
Crane marry everyone off for political gain. Marrying off the eldest child in a political system where the eldest inherits all lands and titles would be retarded.
>>
>>53312311
She is married though. Who is to say that that marriage was not a political marriage?
>>
>>53312479
Except in Rokugan/NotJapan where only the designated heir receives the land and leadership of the clan. Marrying off a female descendant, as they leave the clan, means they inherit NOTHING.

Only reason Satsume couldn't get away with it was because Hoturi was so good at just about everything he did. With another potential tie with an Imperial family in the form of an arranged marriage with Hoturu, that becomes a nonissue. Satsume wins. He gets the much more responsible Kuwanan to inherit. Just like he would want.

Jesus you are fucking dense.
>>
>>53312555
The oldest child is the designated heir. Unless Satsume could find a really, really good reason otherwise, marry hoturi away was never an option, no matter what is between Hoturi's legs.
>>
>>53312519
So now Satsume married someone to Hotaru, I assume not a Fox Maiden, like in the original, and let him inherit as well.

Yep. Not the Crane. Not Satsume. Enjoy your new setting. I have no interest. Later.
>>
>>53312555
And now you are advocating a massive shift in the lore. If Hoturi could be married away as a girl, he could be married away as a boy. But he wasn't, which means she wasn't.
>>
>>53312555
You know in Rokugan if the woman has higher status the man joins into her family, right?
>>
>>53312600
>let him inherit
That's literally not how it works. The higher ranked spouse, regardless of gender, stays in the Family and retains control. The lower ranked spouse does not gain their higher ranked spouse's titles or responsibilities.
It has been that way in Rokugan the whole time, under every company that ever controlled the IP.
>>
>>53312555
Nothing says that Satsume didn't try for that idiot. He may have been trying to marry her off to Sotorii (i.e. Hantei XXXIX), one of the few people higher status than her, but that fell through.and her uncles Kakita Toshimoko and Kakita Yoshi managed to talk him into stepping down from the Clan Championship and give it to the 18 year old Hotaru rather than the younger (possibly just out of gempukku at the time) Kuwanan.
>>
>>53312917
This is true, and there's a lot details we still don't know about the situation anyway. There could be a perfectly good, or at least politically interesting, reason for Satsume to have given the clan to Hotaru. How did Toshimoko and Yoshi convince him? It's way too early to write this whole thing off as lore rape based on one short story.
>>
File: ffg_SWC28_208-5.png (137KB, 207x290px) Image search: [Google]
ffg_SWC28_208-5.png
137KB, 207x290px
>>53312305
???
>>
>>53312305
>>53314051
Isn't there a Magic card that did exactly that, as well?
>>
>>53314137
Some people just don't get that multiple games having the same effect does not make the designers lazy.
>>
>>53312680
True, but even after the lopsided gender equality shift, "the higher ranked spouse" is commonly the man.
>>
Everything after Clan War was shit anyway, thank god for a reset.
>>
>>53314577
Which has zero bearing on anything when the woman in question is clan fucking champion.
>>
>>53314577
For average samurai, sure. When you hit the high ranks, the rules are suggestions at best. Clan champions and their spawn basically do whatever they want as far as marriages go. There have been what amount to beauty pagents to determine brides, and O-Ushi was not the first or last high ranks marriage determined by challenges and/or duels.
>>
/L5Rg/ do you know if there is any shugenja path that uses the flavor of Shinto Bows and the like? I have a player who's very much into that sort of thing and am at a loss for alternate advancement for him. I know shinto priests and shrine maidens used bows to banish spirits but haven't found anything with that in the books.

I feel bad because I've offered paths to the other players (the Kuni passed on the Toritaka Exorcist, the Moto is getting a Homebrew War Dog path at R3, and the Mirumoto's character arc is about proving himself worthy to a kenku sensei) but haven't put forth anything for him.
>>
>>53315462
I don't know if there are specific paths. What clan is he? I can look through my books and see if something pops up.
>>
>>53315462
Unfortunately, you have already given the Kuni that path. While any shugenja, lesser priest, monk, or properly pious person can attempt exorcism, only the Toritaka have figured out a reliable method, canonically.
>>
>>53315644
He's a Phoenix (Isawa Shugenja with Void affinity).
>>
>>53315683
It doesn't necessarily have to involve banishing and exorcisms. I was kinda looking for a sort Zen Archery type thing.
>>
>>53315820
Taoist Archer, but I think that's a rank 5 Brotherhood path.
>>
>>53315820
Asahina Archers maybe?
>>
>>53299006
bumping for more 2017 L5R Art
>>
>>53312004
>fucks over any consistency with the old lore

I praise the Seven Fortunes for that.
>>
where to find teh pronz?
Either I'm super weak tonight, or I'm just dumb, but I can't seem to find much, if any.
>>
>>53317304
Kill yourself.
>>
>>53317334

Only after I've seen those sluts scissoring
>>
>>53317304
There isn't much...

http://rule34.paheal.net/post/list/Legend_of_the_Five_Rings/1
>>
File: tumblr_m6qabn5r311qa944oo1_1280.jpg (316KB, 640x574px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m6qabn5r311qa944oo1_1280.jpg
316KB, 640x574px
>>53289914
>What is your favorite clan and what changes do you hope FFG might slide in there during this wild west, anything goes reset period?

My Favorite Clan is 1st Edition, pre-kolat Unicorn, where the Moto were the only non-japanese influence, and the clan as a whole was about horsemanship, noblesse oblige, and trying to prove they were cool when everyone hated them.

But that died when AEG decided that 90% of the clan was kolat, and then Shinjo guts the whole thing, gives the clan to the mongols*cough*moto and they became a bunch of warmongering bullies.

And now it seems like thats the only part of the Unicorn that they seem to be keeping, as I can't even pronounce the name of the new daimyo

ho hum, oh well

[spoilerI hate the moto. I wish every single one of them, old and new, had ridden into the shadowlands and just become the bad guys they were always supposed to be][/spoiler]
>>
>>53315089
>Clan champions and their spawn basically do whatever they want as far as marriages go.
Nah. They're more strictly bound to use their marriage to serve their clan and maintain On than anyone.

>O-Ushi
The Crab, mate. They're not the goto clan for how Rokugan works. For almost everything. Ever. If anything, they're the great clan Southern exception, as Dragon are the Northern exception.
>>
>>53310617

I once spent entire musha shugyo campaign arc inadvertently staying ahead of the Clan Champion's retainers sent to retrieve my character, the only daughter of one of the Clan's family daimyo, to be married off per terms of an alliance treaty that apparently was a political windfall, through sheer luck and exigent circumstances. Circumstances such as the entire party being shanghaied to provide muscle for an eccentric Emerald Magistrate who was on her way to a Scorpion wedding and all this after courting TPK when we failed to effectively handle a territorial dispute between a Seven Samurai village, the friendly local Forest Killers warband, an Imperial Legion, and the local Scorpion and Lion lords who had claims to the Seven Samurai village. Prolonged conflict, as they say, attracts the supernatural. So cue slaughter spirits and the hungry dead and props to the spiritual realms for providing the common enemy for all factions after multiple skirmishes involving some combination of said factions (e.g. party vs FLForest Killers, party + SSvillagers vs FLForest Killers, Lion outriders vs party + SSvillagers, party vs Scorpion infiltrators, Lion outriders vs Scorpion scouts vs FLForest Killers vs party, party vs Lion legion vs Scorpion legion and we were saved when an Imperial legion intervened after a Miya in the area took notice of the escalation).
>>
>>
0 cost neutral event

Interrupt - When the conflict phase would end, if you have four claimed rings, instead ready all characters and initiate a military or political conflict. If you win this conflict, you win the game.

Name: Enlightenment
>>
>>53321398
>Seven Samurai village

Our GM tried that once, for the LULz, it was mighty hilarious. ~600 bandits vs 4 samurai, yet the only time they could get to the village walls was when their leader made a clever argument about fair fighting. Telling the villagers that we were not slaughter spirits trying to make their village into our personal killing fields was a lot harder than fighting those scum.
>>
>>53323816
I'd like to see some form of enlightenment victory, but if you can win all four conflicts in one turn, you were probably going to win the game anyway.
>>
File: IMG_0102.png (662KB, 531x710px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0102.png
662KB, 531x710px
>>53295955
The mechanics look good to me. Kinda sad that enlightenment isn't a win condition anymore however. I loved flipping a dragon or Phoenix stronghold and watching the other player's internal panic when I get two rings on turn 2

Crab5lyfe. Pretty happy about the use of fortifications coming back. Last arc I threw together an honor deck that focused on forts and force penalties. Literally every single one of my actions was to stay in battle and throw out -force while buffing my own guys. I think I went 4-3 at the Atlantic City Kotei, turned some heads with it too

I just hope they also let me have my berserker fix too with crab and not lion
>>
>>53323816
i thought only attackers can claim rings, as in you can only ever have 2 per round, and from the conflict example last week, you can win without even getting the ring if the margin is too small
>>
>>53324487
Are you thinking of breaking the Province?
>>
>>53324487
I thought only attackers got the ring effects, but the winner of the battle gained control of the ring regardless of whether he was the attacker or defender.
>>
>>53324487
Incorrect; the winner of the conflict always claims the ring, and it doesn't matter if you break the province or not. The catch is, only the attacker gets to perform the ring's action if they claim it; the defender claiming the ring just denies the attacker the benefit and puts the ring in their pool.

From the Conflicts of Rokugan article:
>Whoever has the highest total skill value when both players pass wins the conflict, with ties going to the attacking player. If the defending player wins, they claim the ring of the conflict; if the attacking player wins, they claim the ring, use its effect, and if their skill exceeds the defender’s by the conflict’s province strength, they break the province.
>>
>>53324789
>The catch is, only the attacker gets to perform the ring's action if they claim it;

Certain cards will allow the defender to perform the action. A crab one has already been previewed.
>>
>>53325472
True but those are the exceptions. The general rule is that the defender may claim the ring but not get to use it.

What I wonder is will everyone have tricks like that (like Crane or Scorpion being able to do those for defending court conflicts?) or is it going to be super limited in spread.
>>
File: yogo hiroue.png (762KB, 700x638px) Image search: [Google]
yogo hiroue.png
762KB, 700x638px
>Hey baby, you ever hear the tale of the scorpion and the frog?

Seriously, this guy gives me 'rock star with an unbuttoned shirt and leather jacket trying to get laid' vibe with that flyaway hair and the shamisen.
>>
>>53326508
This is that guy's band...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lzNwMz5FCQ&index=10&list=RDmWlDhsvdoko
>>
File: 1438825185467.jpg (916KB, 2333x1131px) Image search: [Google]
1438825185467.jpg
916KB, 2333x1131px
>>53326772
Coming this summer season to Ryoko Owari!
>>
>>53289914
>Doji Hoturi is now a girl and also gay for Bayushi Kachiko
Right in my magical realm
>>
File: 1382374924947.jpg (396KB, 850x1291px) Image search: [Google]
1382374924947.jpg
396KB, 850x1291px
>>53327208
>tfw this is now canon
>>
>>53327652
>a scorpion not wearing her mask
You've ruined it for me.
>>
File: bayushi kurumi 1.jpg (374KB, 800x590px) Image search: [Google]
bayushi kurumi 1.jpg
374KB, 800x590px
>>53327735
Sorry, anon
>>
File: v1F1hk3.png (397KB, 610x252px) Image search: [Google]
v1F1hk3.png
397KB, 610x252px
>>53327845
Where's her waifu?
>>
>>53327950
In this one they both have masks
>>
>>
>>53327971
I'm not sure what you're implying but I still don't like it.
>>
>>53327950
Traitors don't get waifus. They get kicked out of their clan.
>>
File: yasuki shairei.jpg (173KB, 640x468px) Image search: [Google]
yasuki shairei.jpg
173KB, 640x468px
>>
File: castle by the sea.jpg (399KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
castle by the sea.jpg
399KB, 1280x960px
FFG put out a video to go with the fiction apparently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qh0VTaVgUVw
>>
File: Laughing Ninja Bitches.jpg (88KB, 446x400px) Image search: [Google]
Laughing Ninja Bitches.jpg
88KB, 446x400px
>>53328483
>Lokugan

I am dying here.
>>
>>53328512
>tfw you will never be the swordsmith and the sword

That was a very strange video I agree, but I like the cool art effects
>>
File: 1442584246085.jpg (226KB, 1024x724px) Image search: [Google]
1442584246085.jpg
226KB, 1024x724px
>>
>>53328483
This is some Shogun 2 voice acting here.
>>
>>53307669
I think its neat to force some less than optimal ring conflict choices for you opponent. Additionally Ancestral Blade coming back constantly seems real strong for late game (Im expecting it to get splashed a lot here at the start).
>>
>>53329276
>Additionally Ancestral Blade coming back constantly seems real strong for late game (Im expecting it to get splashed a lot here at the start)

Depends heavily on the character it is attached to leaving play and whether or not paying 1 Fate for 2 military is good value. Also assumes that Splashing Dragon will be better than splashing another clan. Fine Katana will be just as good as Ancestral Daisho for some decks and it will not lock you into only splashing Dragon cards.
>>
>>53329657
Why are you assuming you can only take influence from one faction?
>>
>>53329970
Because that was stated in a conversation with one of the devs.

Only conflict cards have influence values and you can only get them from one clan.
>>
>>53329990
No dev ever said that.
>>
>>53330021
Yes they did. It was not in any of the announcement stuff but the devs do post in the facebook group and in discord.
>>
>>53330100
I'm willing to wager your source is "a guy you know".
>>
>>53330124
The source is the AMA the devs did a couple of weeks ago.
>>
>>53330276
Found it.
First #L5RLive video on the Facebook page
Influence is explained at 5:42.
>>
sorry if this is shitpost tier but I am hoping for a quick rundown on L5R leading up to the new LCG release.

I'm a magic player of 10+ years but never played L5R. The coolest thing I've heard is the clan loyalty being a thing outside the game. Like giving people shitty advice to someone if they are in a rival clan. Do people do that? I heard that it makes it fun at tournaments because even in the 0-4 bracket people are fighting for points for their clan. Is it true that winners of tournaments can decide plot points in the canon, and that an "evil" clan did this and killed off some character?

Also what's the deal with the dragon clan? My basic research shows that they are the coolest clan, but the least discussed.
>>
>>53330469
So it's been said multiple times, then. Because I know for a fact it was in the AMA as well.
>>
>>53330520
>sorry if this is shitpost tier but I am hoping for a quick rundown on L5R leading up to the new LCG release.
No worries mate, I'm also a newcomer. It's an interesting and promising mate. Will try to answer based off what I've gathered from podcasts, blogs etc.

>I'm a magic player of 10+ years but never played L5R. The coolest thing I've heard is the clan loyalty being a thing outside the game. Like giving people shitty advice to someone if they are in a rival clan. Do people do that? I heard that it makes it fun at tournaments because even in the 0-4 bracket people are fighting for points for their clan. Is it true that winners of tournaments can decide plot points in the canon, and that an "evil" clan did this and killed off some character?
Everybody who played the original game has said that clan loyalty was a huge thing. There is speculation as to whether or not it will continue, though; the change in business model stands to significantly impact it as everyone will be able to build every clan's deck and you aren't economically encouraged to go for just one clan anymore. Will be interesting to see.

As for affecting the storyline, yes, and it will continue. FFG will be doing fewer of these tournaments with storyline prizes (called koteis), doing "only" 8 per year, but veterans pretty much universally laud this because AEG often flooded the game with these and they became really small and insignificant and people often tried to troll the smaller ones (e.g. getting dogs elected magistrate and shit).

>Also what's the deal with the dragon clan? My basic research shows that they are the coolest clan, but the least discussed.
In old5r the gist I got was that dragon did not have a real identity; they were jacks of all trade, master of none. Now it looks like they primarily interact with fate as well as having a focus in weird effects and also attachments and dual wielding.
>>
>>53330638
>and promising mate
Game. An interesting and promising game. Typing is hard.
>>
>>53330638

>Everybody who played the original game has said that clan loyalty was a huge thing. There is speculation as to whether or not it will continue, though; the change in business model stands to significantly impact it as everyone will be able to build every clan's deck and you aren't economically encouraged to go for just one clan anymore. Will be interesting to see.

Thanks! Is it true that the clans all have different mechanics and playstyles in the game? So if even if you can make any clans deck you have a reason to stick to one?
>>
>>53330778
Well we've only seen about a quarter of the core set's cardpool, but what we've seen so far that appears to be the case, and in old5r it apparently was as well.

We will just have to wait and see, though. FFG is generally pretty good at this in their other games, so hopefully they pull through here as well.

Here's a nearly complete full spoiler of what has been shown so far, missing only one image / card (Brash Samurai):
https://imgur.com/a/9tama
>>
>>53330858
So looking at that, what use do you think Control the Mind would be? That seems like a weird fucking effect
>>
>>53330520
Clan loyalty definitely was a thing and hopefully will continue. I imagine that at least the die-hards will continue repping their clan at tournaments. Whether other people do will largely depend on the quality of FFG's story prizes, I think.
Speaking of story prizes, those are real too and are/were one of the things that really set the game apart.

The Dragon clan is, in simplistic terms, the "monk" clan. They hang out in the mountains and seek enlightenment. Along with the Phoenix, they are one of the two clans that focus heavily on mystical stuff. One of their families, the Mirumoto, rivals the Crane's Kakita family in the contest of "Who has the best swordsmanship school?" The Kakita prefer a single strike with their katana while the Mirumoto prefer to bust two-sword moves.
>>
File: Oi01V9b.png (218KB, 300x418px) Image search: [Google]
Oi01V9b.png
218KB, 300x418px
>>53330950
It's an anti-character control spell. Turns characters with powerful effects into just bodies with stats.

E.g., look at Shinjo Outrider, pic related. This character is used to force you to over-invest in defense -- the unicorn player will swing in with a weak force and leave Shinjo Outrider behind outside of the conflict. You now have to either assign defenders with the idea that Shinjo Outrider will jump in. If you underassign (say putting 1 character on defense vs. their 1 on offense) then the Outrider will come in and win him the fight, but if you overassign (putting 2 characters on defense vs. their 1 on offense) then they'll just take the loss and let you bow out two characters while they only bow out one giving them a body advantage in future conflicts. Nasty combat tricks like that.

But, defender gets first action. So with Cloud the Mind, you can assign 1 defender, and then on your first action play Cloud the Mind on the Shinjo Outrider -- and now it can't jump in and you've neutralized it's advantage. Now Shinjo Outrider is just a 2 cost 2/2, which is thoroughly meh.

There are other targets, of course; Lion's Pride Brawler, Isawa Masahiro and Solemn Scholar all look to utterly wreck face and get hosed hard by Cloud the Mind. Plus clan champions, which we haven't seen yet, will surely have some crazy shit in their text boxes. We'll probably see the first of those next Wednesday, with the coming crane clan faction focus.
>>
>>53331077
Isawa Masahiro looks rad as shit and I hope he's an example of how powerful shugenja will go. Every clan has some, even though it makes sense the Phoenix would get the most right in the core.
>>
File: vCoOTO1.png (268KB, 300x418px) Image search: [Google]
vCoOTO1.png
268KB, 300x418px
>>53331146
It's interesting how his stats are actually really good, but his action also bows him so he can't participate in a fight if he uses it. But yes, that man is a monster. What's that, you've got, say, a Shinjo Outrider and it's honored and you gave it a cute little Fine Katana so it's been pumped to 6/4? That's nice, I'm just going to bow and immediately discard you. Get rekt.
>>
>>53289914
>What is your favorite clan
Lion Clan representin'

>What changes do you hope FFG might slide in there during this wild west, anything goes reset period?
I'd like to see a major change in the Mantis clan. More focus on their Fox and Centipede members instead of the Yoritomo and Wasps that make the rest of us proper samurai look bad. If you wanna be in the game, you gotta stick to the rules.
Either that, or just leave them as a minor clan alliance instead of being granted major clan status.
>>
>>53331277
Cost of that is giving them an honor right then. Still might be good if your opponent is far from honoring/dishonoring out or the Outrider is going to fade that turn anyways.

Lots of different factors in play.

>>53331343
>Either that, or just leave them as a minor clan alliance instead of being granted major clan status.
This is my hope as well a lot more design space there instead of making just another great clan.
>>
>>53331343
I'd be okay with the Mantis becoming a great clan again, but not if Yoritomo pulls the same shit as last time to get them there.

Speaking of factions that break the rules. I think the shadowlands should stay a conflict deck only faction. That way you can use them as your allied clan, they remain a surprise for your opponent, and FFG doesn't have to come up with a reason that honor matters to them. They kind of can't ignore honor like last time since it's even more ingrained in the basic game mechanics now.
>>
>>53323835

Indeed. One of the main challenges was convincing the villagers that we were trying to help them/were committed to helping them despite the situation becoming more and more impossible from their points-of-view.

Funnily enough, the surviving FLForest Killers and allied ronin warbands all volunteered to join the village after the campaign arc's climatic set piece battle. It was farmland saga for them from then on.
>>
>>53331469
Aww that's cute! Having a now large village full of warriors just chilling in the best retirement they could possibly get.
>>
Okay so I know very little about L5R in general. Is the RPG any good? What's the best edition? Should I try it or just refluff D&D without even bothering?
>>
>>53332008
There is a d20 system for it but I've heard it's garbage. Go for 4e.
>>
>>53332008
Yes, 4e, and no don't do that. They tried that in 2e and it was the worst edition of L5R. The game is one of very few where the trend overall has been upwards. There's definitely issues with 4e, but it is pretty good on its own and definitely the best of the L5R series.

You can run the game for a lot of game types with just the core, which has a wealth of info for Rokugan's history and is designed to be time period agnostic. On top of that, I strongly suggest grabbing Emerald Empire. After that everything is optional. Like The Great Clans is a great resource but you don't need it. Same for most of the other stuff. But almost all of it is decent at least. There's torrents for fair chunks of 4e out there with a quick google.
>>
>>53332008
L5R 4th edition is a pretty good RPG. Some of the mechanics support appropriate behavior for a very foreign culture. That can be a stumbling block for people who are new to the world. That won't be a problem if you have players who are interested in Rokugan, but others might have trouble integrating at first.
>>
File: Garo.jpg (175KB, 400x761px) Image search: [Google]
Garo.jpg
175KB, 400x761px
Can I play a character similar to this guy in the rpg?
>>
File: yasuki makoto 2.jpg (775KB, 1600x1063px) Image search: [Google]
yasuki makoto 2.jpg
775KB, 1600x1063px
>>53332139
Gaudy as fuck? Sure just make sure you get Wealthy and some status so you can have that blinged out look and not be stepping above your station, though his armor is the wrong style for L5R. But blinged out armor is a thing. I don't know shit about the character though, describe his personality.
>>
>>53331343
>>53331437

I'd prefer Monkey became a great clan this go around.
>>
>>53332197
Dear god, the shonen would be so real.
>>
>>53332008
The RPG is good, and the general consensus for editions is as follows
4 is best. It strikes a good balance in the crunch and there aren't many broken or trap options.
1 is good. Nice and simple, it runs well.
3 is fun if you like optimizing and crunchfests. Some broken shit, but even that is fun.
2 is garbage. They broke the resolution mechanic and everything feels really weak and slow.
D20 is extra garbage with a side of more garbage. Even if you like SRD based games, it's still pretty bad.
>>
>>53332197
I'd prefer if no upstart no-kami clans became great clans.
>>
File: komori miyano.jpg (299KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
komori miyano.jpg
299KB, 1280x960px
Night, /l5rg/. See you tomorrow
>>
File: Giant_demon_samurai_w1.jpg (185KB, 1297x722px) Image search: [Google]
Giant_demon_samurai_w1.jpg
185KB, 1297x722px
#buildthewall
>>
>>53332139
Garo? A Heavily Armored Sword wielding demon hunter?

With proper set up a GM could do a campaign like that.
>>
>>53330520
>The coolest thing I've heard is the clan loyalty being a thing outside the game. Like giving people shitty advice to someone if they are in a rival clan. Do people do that?

Only the asshats took clan loyalty to the extreme of shitting on another player for his clan alliance. We are all L5R players first. Staying a little in character is fun and all, but actively sabotaging fellow players is just shitty.

>Is it true that winners of tournaments can decide plot points in the canon, and that an "evil" clan did this and killed off some character?

There have been a lot of story prizes that involved the fates of favorite characters. For instance, one arc began with the "Rain of Blood" which drove a bunch of characters mad and infected them with the Essence of Hell. That tournament season there was a list of characters from each faction and at a tournament the winner could declare one character of his choice on the list saved or corrupted. Most of the characters were fan faves or popular in that clan's meta. This led to characters getting bounties placed on them in either direction. I played Unicorn and was at the tournament where Moto Chen was saved. The guy that saved him took a bounty on Chen as all the guys in his clan were already claimed. The Unicorn player base had put together a pretty ridiculous package to save Chen, a set of wall hanger swords, a wall hanger kabuto, an assload of cards, and a few handmade items like custom tokens and 3D Strongholds. The guy took the Chen bounty and saved him. A few days later the same thing happened but the Shadowlands players had put out a big hit on Chen's brother, Chaozhu. The Unicorn didn't rally behind Chaozhu and the corruption package was way bigger. AEG used that to drive the story of the brothers and Chaozhu's fall to darkness, Chaozhu went from having a brotherly rivalry to full on hating his brother for having the Khan's favor.
>>
>>53332197
People bitch about Yoritomo Sue-ing it up with the Mantis and you want the biggest Sue in the setting this side of Shitzue and his bestest Sue Clan to get upgraded to a Great Clan? You may as well admit you want the Spider back and accept your cancer.
>>
>>53334610
The nice thing about the Monkey was that they shonen'd it up and then became completely irrelevant in the plot.
Thread posts: 215
Thread images: 42

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.