[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/ore/ Wild Talents and One Roll Engine General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 311
Thread images: 28

File: wtpromo.png (1MB, 1024x845px) Image search: [Google]
wtpromo.png
1MB, 1024x845px
This is a thread for discussing Wild Talents, Reign, Monsters and Other Childish Things and any other games built on Greg Stolze's One Roll Engine.

>***The System
Roll some d10s. Find matches. The number of matching dice is your Width. The number ON the dice is your Height. So a Set of [5,5,5] has a Width of 3 and a Height of 5, written as 3x5. That's it. Width and Height tell you a lot about your action, such as how fast it was, how strong it was, how precise it was, etc. Everything in the system is built around this fast, simple mechanic.

>***The Games

>Nemesis
A game about cosmic horror that invented the Madness system that would later be used in Unknown Armies. It's available for free on ArcDream's website here: http://www.arcdream.com/pdf/Nemesis.pdf

>Godlike
Superhero roleplaying during World War II. Fight supersonic Nazis and invisible French knife maniacs in a brutal setting where you're equally likely to be killed by a mortar blast as from a supervillain.

>Wild Talents
The sequel to Godlike, blowing the doors of the system to let you create any superpower you can imagine. /tg's favorite ORE game.

>Monsters and Other Childish Things
You're a kid with an imaginary monster friend who's real, and you have adventures. Converts nicely to Jojo and Persona.

>Reign
High fantasy roleplaying in a crazy world that would need to have an entire post just about it.

>A Dirty World
Noir at its best. Relentlessly focused on character growth and psychology. A much lighter system than the others.

>Better Angels
You're a supervillain whose power comes from a contract with a demon. Try not to get dragged to hell.

>***Pastebin
https://pastebin.com/EBjEPYyg <-- Some Wild Talents advice saved from the previous thread
https://pastebin.com/F4EvqhHN <-- Anon walks a new Wild Talents GM through power creation

>***This Thread
Tell us about your Wild Talents campaign
What house rules or systems have you cooked up with the ORE?
Let's stat up some characters together.
>>
I stated up Yondu in last week's Stat Me thread. I think it came out rather nicely.

Yondu Udonta

STATS
Body 3d Coordination 3d
Sense 2d Mind 2d
Charm 3d Command 4d
BASE WILL 7

SKILLS
Athletics 2d (4d), Brawling 3d (6d), Block 2d (5d), Endurance 1d (4d), Dodge 2d (5d), Drive (Ravager Vessel) 3d (6d), Stealth 3d (5d), Weapon (Firearms) 2d (5d), Perception 2d (4d), Empathy 2d (4d), Scrutiny 1d (3d), Navigation 3d (5d), Streetwise 3d (5d), Lie 2d (5d), Persuade 2d (5d), Intimidate 3d (7d), Interrogate 2d (6d), Leadership 4d (8d), Stability 3d (6d)

LOYALTY: His Crew (2), The Ravagers (1), Peter Quill (3)
PASSION: Getting Paid (1)

WHISTLING ARROW (10 pts per die) 5d+1wd (90 pts)
Attacks Range+1 (Delicate Focus-2, On Sight+1, Go First+1, Spray+4, If/Then-1(each Spray set must be applied to different target), Locational-1, Penetration+3)
Useful Speed
EFFECTS: Yondu's Whistling Arrow is a deadly ranged weapon inflicting Width+1 in Shock and Killing. It has a thermally charged arrowhead capable of piercing up to 3 layers of armor; exceptional speed allowing it to strike targets as if its Width was 1 greater for timing purposes; and precise guidance, which adds +4d to Yondu's dice pool and allows him to use each Set he rolls as an attack against a different target. The arrow has an effective range of 320 yards and can be guided to targets even through transmitted images, such as through a security feed.

Yondu controls his arrow by means of a fin-like apparatus attached to his cranium. It has 3 hit boxes, and striking it requires a Height of 10. A blow to the head is also capable of breaking Yondu's concentration, nullifying any unresolved Sets for that round.*

In a pinch, Yondu can also grasp the arrow in his hand to use it to slow his descent as a sort of makeshift parachute.

*this last element is a bit dodgy since it doesn't ACTUALLY happen in the film, but it seems a fair trade-off since this is a ridiculously lethal weapon
>>
>What house rules or systems have you cooked up with the ORE?
My group has largely redone how healing works in Wild Talents. The RAW system is good but kind of punishing (it takes forever to heal damage and you can actually hurt yourself worse if you roll badly), which is great for very gritty games. Here's out lighter alternative:

>Roll Mind + First Aid to heal Width in Shock
>If you roll a Width of 3 or greater, you can convert 1 Killing to Shock
>If multiple people are healing you, you can combine their Widths
>Each time you're healed with First aid you use up one of your First Aid Checks, which are equal to your Body Dice. Each night of restful sleep regenerates one First Aid Check.

It's leads to a smoother, more forgiving play experience than the vanilla "first aid kind of sucks, especially if you're badly wounded".
>>
Suggestions for characters to Stat:

Jotaro Kujo
Magneto
Dhalsim
>>
I've been playing Wild Talents for over three years now, weekly for the most part, so if anyone has any questions about the system or how to run stuff in it, I can probably help!
>>
>>53290607
If I wanted to run a Worm campaign, should I run Wild Talents over Weaver Dice since it's still in the making?

And out of system, I spoiled the fact that my players were playing a superhero campaign and now he's set on playing with a character with 40k Ork powers: whatever constructs he creates and believes will work become a reality (Red is fast, sticking a light bulb in some scrap metal and attaching a broken trigger creates a lasergun.) Before I throw away the idea, how would I stay this in Wild Talents?
>>
I've always wanted to give ORE a try but never had the opportunity to join a game of it.

>>53290776
I've never played either, but from reading Wild Talents' book it's extremely open ended in how it approaches superpowers so should be good for Worm. I don't know how Weaver Dice is though.
>>
>>53290776
I have to head out but I think I can answer these:

>If I wanted to run a Worm campaign, should I run Wild Talents over Weaver Dice since it's still in the making?
I'm not familiar with Weaver Dice or Worm, but an Anon from the last thread wanted to run Worm + STALKER and it was decided that Wild Talents is a great system for it (gritty, deadly gun violence and very flexible power creation).

> whatever constructs he creates and believes will work become a reality (Red is fast, sticking a light bulb in some scrap metal and attaching a broken trigger creates a lasergun.) Before I throw away the idea, how would I stay this in Wild Talents?
There's two ways you can do this. One would be to make his character's Archetype use Belief as its Source. That way, whatever powers he has stems from the fact that he believes them to work. Then you create the powers that he specifically wants individually, and all of them will be powered by his Belief. This is, perhaps, the more balanced option, since it means he can't literally do anything he sets his mind to-- but what he can do is because of his Orkish belief.

Now if this character's power is literally "Anything he believes comes true", then the game has an ability like that called "Cosmic Power." It's the most expensive power in the game but it lets you do literally anything, including creating other Powers.
>>
>>53290776
>>53290936
Actually let me issue a correction: there's a pre-built power called Gadgeteering that does exactly what you want it to; it's even fueled by your Will, so it works perfectly as Orktech.

See, powers in Wild Talents are effect based-- all you need to know is what it does. How it does it is basically irrelevant in most circumstances. So an inventor who creates technology as the result of meticulous research and experimentation, and an ork who slaps junk together and has it magically work, are using the exact same power.

So yeah, it's not only easy to create a character who functions that way, but it's actually built in. Go nuts.

>>53290870
Do you have your own group? The ORE is super easy to learn. I play with my wife and it's the first tabletop game she's ever played, and she learned it in five minutes and is now my co-GM.
>>
What exactly is Worm anyway? I keep seeing it brought up on this board.
>>
>>53293382
It's a popular web serial (an online-published work of amateur fiction posted chapter by chapter) focused on supers. Some people (autists) love it. Some people don't. I am an autist, so I think it's great.
>>
>>53290776
>whatever constructs he creates and believes will work become a reality
So, he's a regular tinker?

Anyway, I think Wild Talents would probably work if you tweaked it a bit. I personally like the "you don't choose your power" aspect of Weaver Dice. That's a big part of Worm, after all.
>>
>>53294426
How does that work in Weaver Dice? It shouldn't hard to build a random gen in ORE.
>>
>>53294680
I think you roll for a trigger event and everyone else creates your power. Personally, I think the trigger events decide too much of your character for you, so I think a system that randomly decided elements of your trigger while you flesh it out would be preferable.
>>
>>53294426
>So, he's a regular tinker?
Not a regular one. Most, if not all, Tinkers requires real parts to configure the machines they create, not stuff they believe in. And Orktek Tinker just need 2x4 and junk to complete tools of destruction that only the Orktek Tinker can use.

>>53294917
I'm the anon that posed the question here. >>53290776 and I wanted to play with the idea of random powers. But, the one player overheard just the superpowers portion and jumped to a powerset he had in mind. Is it too late or rude of me to deny him this? Should I just let the other players pick their powers too?
>>
>>53289094
So how "hackable" is ORE, my group has been looking to play something akin to persona and I thought that MACOT's monsters might make good personas but I've never played anything in the system, just heard podcasts play it. Is there a way to simulate the social bonds thing as well or am I barking up the wrong tree system wise
>>
>>53295276
MAOCT has a relationship mechanic, but without being familiar with persona I can't say that it'll fulfill what you're after.

>>53289094
>What house rules or systems have you cooked up with the ORE?
I've considered shifting the head to hit location 7 and bumping the torso up to 8-10. That way headblows become easier to dodge than blows to the body and aren't an automatic artifact of hard dice.
>>
>>53295183
It might be rude, but I think you should be able to explain to your players that Worm is about doing what you can with what you have. It may be the case that your players don't even want the Worm flavor. It's something to discuss, I think. You know your players better than I do, I imagine.
>>
>>53295276
ORE is stupendously hackable. I'm in the middle of a WT game right now actually (taking a brief break) so if this thread is around tomorrow I'll talk about how MaOCT can be ported to Persona. Needless to say it's a very nice fit.
>>
>>53296177
Trying to get mechs to work in the ORE system, but not quite sure how to do them. I might go with the way Wild Talents does them, but the system MaOCT uses for making monsters seems like a simple, easily accessible method as well.
>>
>>53296338
There is an ORE Mecha game.

http://www.arcdream.com/pdf/ore_mecha.pdf
>>
File: wild talents cheat sheet.pdf (184KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
wild talents cheat sheet.pdf
184KB, 1x1px
>>
>>53295183
Kick the idea around with them, see what the interest is in different parts of the setting. There's no reason that you have to take the whole thing as written.

One potential alternative if you want to keep the random aspect but let them have the poweset is to randomise other parts of the character (or let the other players pick them) like the trigger event or their background.
>>
>>53296338
MaOCT works great for like a Super Robot show, but I think you could make an excellent Real Robot show just by hacking the ORE directly. Another thing I'd love to discuss. I actually think it could be a perfect system given how lethal UC Gundam and a lot of other real robot shows are.

>>53296411
ORE Mecha is cool but I think for a game where mechs are the central focus, we'd want something built for them from the ground up instead of bending Wild Talents around a mecha framework.
>>
>>53289094
does any anon have links to the above mentioned games. would like to take a look at them all.
>>
>>53297165
That's what I was thinking. ORE Mecha is neat, but it didn't really seem like the best way to do a mech game.
>>
Is this well done?

Phantom of the Opera (11)
Qualities: A D U.
Attacks Extras and Flaws(Haunting Melodies): Controlled Effect +1, Radius (3) +6, Duration +2, Obvious -1, Touch Only -3, No Physical Change -1, Locational -2. Capacities: Touch.
Defends Extras and Flaws(Sensory Overload): Interference +3, Duration +2, Obvious -1, If/Then (Must be singing) -1, Locational -2. Capacities: Self.
Useful Extras and Flaws(Soul Music): Controlled Effect +1, Engulf +2, Duration +2, Radius (3) +6, Touch Only -2, Obvious -1, If/Then (Must be singing) -1, If/Then(Only regenerates Shock) -1, Locational -2, Attached to Sensory Overload -2. Capacities: Touch.
Clamaris' singing voice can enter the heads of foes near him, shattering their minds and concentration as well as mending his and his allies' bruises and scrapes. Phantom of the Opera requires it's user to keep singing to work, and will stop working if Clamaris takes any damage to his head or chest, requiring him to start singing again.
>>
>>53298378
You could make it cheaper by taking Attached (Singing) -2 rather than If/Then (Must be singing) -1, if there's enough points to buy the skill and they don't mind spending an action to 'spin up'. Another option you might want to consider is breaking it up into multiple powers so you can assign different dice values to the qualities.
>>
>>53298756
Hadn't thought about the skill.
What stat would singing use anyway, Charm?
>>
>>53298786
Yup, under Performance (Type)
>>
>>53296177
I'll hold ya too that if the thread is still up, I like the system conceptually so I hope t works
>>
Whats your preferred points limit for character creation?
>>
>>53289094
I'm a the end of a year long campaign of Godlike. Set in a quanrantined zone of Berlin in 1946, my players must find seven nzai hidden among a cast of 60 talent in a "neutral" zone where Allies diplomats and spies are trying to figure out what to do with Talents now that the war is over. Of course the last Nazis are messing things up, russians and USAns are at each others throat, English and French are trying to save what's left of Europe.

And my players decided to create a country for Talents. It's fun
>>
File: 1494733276356.jpg (105KB, 752x1063px) Image search: [Google]
1494733276356.jpg
105KB, 752x1063px
>>53296177
Tell us a bit about your WT game too, anon! I'm about to run one myself, and it's got me real excited.
>>
File: WT-OneShot.pdf (109KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
WT-OneShot.pdf
109KB, 1x1px
I used these characters a few years ago for a Wild Talents one-shot to introduce new players to the system.

I can't remember all the details of it, but the basic premise was that the first six characters were pregens pitted against the final three who were robbing a bank. The main non-combat challenges I recall were:

* Negotiating for access with the cops before the situation deteriorated.
* Protecting and rescuing the hostages.
* Using Mitosis Mike's foibles against him (he was an environmental activist turned super-criminal to fund protest action against fossil fuel extraction in his native Canada and vulnerable to having that played on).
* Dealing with Whiplash's distraction attack on the vehicle blockades (intended to let the others get away by an underground route).
>>
>>53295406
>I've considered shifting the head to hit location 7 and bumping the torso up to 8-10. That way headblows become easier to dodge than blows to the body and aren't an automatic artifact of hard dice.

This was something I've also thought about, but my group ended up not adopting the idea since it kind of goes against the flow of Wild Talents, where a 10 is always the best possible result you can roll. We instead just sort of went with the gentlemen's agreement that no-one is allowed to have 2hd or more in an Attack power or skill.
>>
>>53295183
>I wanted to play with the idea of random powers.
This is the single biggest thing I'd like to work out for Wild Talents. Reign has an awesome system for random rolling characters, but the only character generator for Wild Talents is hosted on some obscure ArcDream site and it's very obtuse. In Godlike the whole idea is that your character's Talent arises spontaneously in response to trauma, but there's no system for actually creating spontaneous, unpredictable powers. It's something I'd be very interested in working out.
>>
>>53299599
Alright so check it out:

Monsters and Other Childish Things can be turned into a form of Persona with basically Vanilla rules. Just change "Monster" into "Persona" and you've basically got it. But there are some interesting hacks you can do to add more Persona flavor to the game.

Basically in MaOCT, every character has a Monster that can only be seen by them or by other characters with Monsters. A monster can be basically anything-- the rule is that you literally draw the monster and then circle bits on it to say whether that part can be used for attack, defense or has some useful function (like flying or being able to smash through walls). Your Kids also have stats, ones that are very applicable to playing in a school setting (such as the Put Down skill for insulting people). It should seem fairly evident that this patches to Persona nicely.

Also, the rules are such that social combat can be just as effective as actual battle, so someone being humiliated, bullied or teased into submission is a valid strategy or problem to overcome (which works very well for a Persona 5 type game)

It also has a built in relationship system, where you establish contact with people and then can cash in those ties for additional dice, but at the cost of introducing strain to that relationship. Strain is repaired just by spending time with the relation, and improved by gaining new understandings and drawing closer to that person, so again, maps very nicely to Persona.

Beyond that, there's not much else that the game says you HAVE to do. It's quite open ended, to the extent where it works even without the Monsters part; Roleplay Public Radio did a Five Nights at Freddies actual play using the system and it was pretty great.

To adapt more closely to Persona, here's what I'd suggest:

1. Adding Elemental strengths/weaknesses. This can be done simply by tweaking how damage works (Normal damage is Scars; vs Resistance is Shock; vs Weakness is Shock and Scars).

(continued)
>>
>>53303012
>>53299599
(2/2)

2. Adding combat flourishes. Since Persona 3, the fighting system has been all about the One More mechanic, so to add that in would give the game a real Persona feel. The way I'd suggest to do it would be to let a player who Knocks Down a target use a second set he rolled as another attack against a different target. This means you won't get One More 100% of the time, but I feel like that's a decent balancing mechanic since it prevents every fight from becoming a rote repetition of moves, which works fine for a video game but is dull as dishwater at the table.

3. More Personas. If everyone has a single Persona, then you're fine. But if you want to introduce a Wild Card mechanic, I'd suggest that you NOT make every single persona you can summon have its own stat sheet, since that's a lot of work to do and it detracts from the "main" persona of each character (which is my big complaint from each game-- the MC's persona is always very cool and distinct looking, but you never get to use it beyond the first dungeon). Instead, what you could do is make them Support Personas-- instead of having a full suite of abilities, give them one or two things that you can call them out to do, like letting a High Pixie throw out some Zionga or titillate an unwary shadow, but not much more. That way a character's Persona roster can expand while they can still say "this one is MY persona."

These are all just ideas I had as to how it could be done. If you want to see how it actually IS done, check out The Drunk and Ugly's "Shin Megami Tensei and Other Childish Things" actual play, which is in fact Persona by way of MaOCT. It's very good.
>>
File: p162.png (235KB, 762x986px) Image search: [Google]
p162.png
235KB, 762x986px
>>53302906
There's a one-roll power generator on p.162-163 of the Wild Talents corebook. I'd start from there and adapt it along the lines of the different power types.
>>
File: p163.png (301KB, 762x986px) Image search: [Google]
p163.png
301KB, 762x986px
>>53302906
>>53303083
And here's the second page.
>>
>>53303083
Nice, I guess that's what happens when I only have the 2nd Ed Essential Edition without all that stuff added to it. I'm all over this.
>>
>>53297732
So as a basic idea, a full-blown ORE mecha game would be fairly easy. Combat between mechs isn't much different from combat between people, since most mechs are humanoid and so you can just take the normal wound silhouette and change the 10 location from the head to the cockpit.

The real trick, I think, would be in how you roll dice. I've been working on a space adventure supplement for Reign, which would also work mostly for Wild Talents, where characters have a separate field of skills for spacecraft flight; the same could be done for mech operation. Each roll you make then is Character Skill + Mech System. So to fire a gun you roll Gunnery + Weapon, or to avoid an attack you roll Pilot + Handling. That way the outcome an action is dependent equally on the human and machine parts. A skilled pilot operating a crappy robot might be no matched for a decent pilot in an excellent machine.

That's pretty much the baseline you can start from. I'd love to see what we could come up with building off it, because I'm always in the market for a new, good mecha game.
>>
>>53301896
There's some amazing stuff in here; I'm especially digging Sleep's Booster ability as being tied to her Hyperdice; I'm almost certainly going to steal that for my game. Forward Planning is also a great way to do a "I had a plan for just this contingency!" type character. Nice work on that too.

Can you explain how you built Latency's Quick Study ability?

Seriously, good show on this. I'd run this for new folks in a heartbeat.
>>
>>53303777
I can't really take credit for Forward Planning. I'm pretty sure I stole it from somewhere else, but it's been years.

>Can you explain how you built Latency's Quick Study ability?
IIRC it's a Hyperskill with some extras and flaws tacked on, should look something like this:

Quick Study +4D+2WD (3pts per die; 36pts)
Hyperskill Extras & Flaws: If/Then (builds one dice per skill use, wiggle last) -1, If/Then (start over when switching skills) -1, Variable Effect +4. Capacity: N/A.

If/Then is pretty much the universal go-to for building conditional powers.
>>
>>53298378
Can you elaborate as to how you envision Haunting Melodies to work?

And yes what >>53298756 said is correct, you can apply Attacked-2 to all of these in place of the if/then to cut the total cost by -3.
>>
>>53300714
I posted a little about my game last thread. It's set in an alternate timeline where the cold war ended in the late 80s when an asteroid almost collided with the Earth, and was only averted when a joint US-Soviet mission diverted it into a stable orbit. As a result, the geopolitical situation is a good deal different, with Russia as a much more present force due to their access to alien technology found inside the asteroid (called The Stone). This element of the story was introduced because two of my players ended up creating Russian characters and I wanted to expand that part of the setting.

Back in WWII, hypertrained soldiers began distinguishing themselves, which lead to the first breed of "superheroes"-- Elites, normal folk who through driven and determination can acquire any Hyperskills they want. The 70s and 80s gave rise to the second superheroic archetype, Mutants, who were the result of government experimentation to create the next generation of super soldiers. Much more recently, exposure to a strange retrovirus creates the third archetype, Retros, who have very strange and eclectic abilities that seem at times to defy physics.

The story, as its unfolding, centers on metahuman activity in Ransom City, the capitol of the fictional American state of Arcadia. The characters deal with crime, both mundane and superhuman, while also coping with increased government policing of metahuman activity, incursions by a hostile parasitic alien species, and investigating the origins of the Retrovirus that seems to date back to WWII.
>>
>>53289094
I hate to be pedantic, but the Madness Meter predates Nemesis, and was used in Unknown Armies first, not the other way around
>>
>>53305129
Nice catch; should have done my research a little better in that, UA 1ed came like 8 years earlier. I'll make sure to adjust that next time I make a thread.
>>
>>53303056
The way I would hack MaOCT to run Persona with Wild Card characters while retaining as much of the vanilla mechanics as possible would be to let people buy monster dice with experience and let them build personas with them.

I'd allow them to sacrifice two or more personas to get a refund on monster dice and just treat them like a resource to build monsters during downtime. If you relax the restriction on the minimum amount of hit locations a monster needs, they can build their own support personas with ten dice or so, and save you the trouble.

The main issue I can see is people will eventually make something broken, so letting them experiment like this requires some oversight.
>>
How do you make a character who can control Weather?
>>
>>53305658
See that's beautiful. The idea of using monster dice as resources is awesome. To add structure to the idea you can make each character a Wild Card within a specific Arcana, so the Magician character can make trickster Personae like Jack Frost while the Chariot character makes physically powerful warrior personae.
>>
>>53305658
This also allows you to introduce Arcana mechanics into the game. If you set up a limit on the total dice a persona can have and give them an arbitrary arcana, you can give a relationship that same arcana "tag" and relax the limits as the relationship grows stronger.

You could also tie the arcanas to specific extras, so maybe you can't get Sweet unless you have a Magician relationship with an NPC, or you're limited to 2 Gnarly extras until you meet that Chariot girl's parents and up the relationship to 3
>>
>>53305725
Pretty easily actually. There's already a Control (Type) miracle in the core game. Since Weather is an exceptionally broad thing to control (it encompasses water, wind, electricity, etc...) you'd want to add Variable Effect to it, which would make it pricey but also extremely useful. So it would look something like this:

CONTROL WEATHER (15 pts)
>Attacks Range, Mass
>Defends Self, Range
>Useful Range, Mass (Variable Effect+4, If/then-1 (only for controlling meteorological phenomena)

The Attacks quality allows you to both attack at range and throw your targets around, and the Defense quality allows you protect both yourself and others within your range.

This would allow you to inflict Width in Shock and Killing damage by lightning, hurricane winds or giant hail stones; block attacks by creating impenetrable storm walls; and basically do whatever you want outside of combat as long as Weather is involved. It's pricey, but it covers everything you'd ever need, for the most part.
>>
>>53305956
More excellent ideas. I'm going to keep track of these and load them into a pastebin file specifically for Persona and Other Childish Things.
>>
>>53306397
I feel like MaOCT is probably the single best Persona system that could be created simply because it has a "relationships can be damaged" mechanic that the games themselves don't deal in and therefore don't prime homebrewers for.

Static social links only work with scripted scenarios.
>>
>>53303321
I've been thinking about it, and the six human stats can be condensed into just three for mechs. Structure, Response, and Systems (Electronics?) would cover physical strength and toughness, quickness and ability to respond to input, and general tech (like deployable drones or ECM and radar)

Aside from that the most complicated thing is weapons and equipment, which boils down to a matter of taste. With MaOCT and Wild Talents, you can stat out a weapon or a piece of gear, assign it to a hit location, and be done. This allows quite a good bit of customization for mechs, and it allows people to personalize them. Or you can pre-design everything and just mix and match like Battletech, which has the benefit of keeping everything relatively balanced but less personalized.
>>
>>53306525
Agreed. It works not because it replicates the complete experience of a Persona game, but because it emulates the same feeling you get while playing one.

It was mentioned last thread that one thing you'll have to keep in mind is that MaOCT isn't really a dungeon-crawly game, though you could make it one if you really wanted to. As a result, that aspect of Persona doesn't quite work. You're much better off creating strange, unique supernatural spaces that the characters have to deal with than sprawling networks of hallways patrolled by shadows. The One Roll Engine handles combat a lot quicker than most, but it's still slower than how most Persona random encounters resolve (like within the first two measure of the battle theme). So make it more about exploration and dealing with the unnatural than about fighting everything you see.
>>
>>53306741
I made that point in the thread of a GM asking for advice
>>
>>53306776
Ah, yes, I remember that now. It stuck with me as great advice.
>>
>>53306697
This seems reasonable; what do you think about the dice pools being Pilot Dice + Mech Dice? Or do you think it would be easier if all the dice came from the pilot, and the mech merely provided the stats for what it's capable of?

Weapons would also be pretty easy to work with: standard weapons deal Width in Killing, small weapons (or large infantry guns) deal Width in Shock, and heavy artillery deals Width in Shock and Killing. The variety of ways that a giant robot can kill another giant robot isn't quite as varied as in a superhero game.

Beyond that, most non-weaponized Mech functions could be described as Useful Miracles (WT) or Useful Parts (MaOCT) and priced accordingly.
>>
>>53303056
Your the man, I'm gonna go check that actual play out and this should help a lot, thanks man
>>
>>53307139
Pilot + mech would work out. For instance, interfering with another mech's electronics or infiltrating a network would be something like Hacking + Systems. Firing a weapon would be Gunnery + Response.
>>
>>53307299
Makes sense. What would you roll Structure for then? Off the top of my head it seems like it would be a mostly passive stat related to how tough your mech is.

I do like where this going, though. Is your point of reference more Gundam or Mechwarrior?
>>
>>53307498
Definitely mechwarrior, but with a bit of armored core because I'm a sucker for modular mechs. Structure also seems to be the most passive stat, unless you're doing a lot of melee in combat.
>>
>>53300286
This post got lost earlier in the thread but I just want to point out that it is awesome. Feels very noir, but with superpowers. What are your characters' powers?

Also it's real cool that you're playing this in Godlike. A lot of people I think balk at the game as being kind of impenetrable (if only for the maaaaassive timeline of WWII history) and think "that's cool but what do I do in it?" so it's great to see someone throwing actual dice instead of just marveling at it.
>>
>>53307628
What if Structure included things like your mech's power plant, so that you can use it for a pure outrun roll? You'd also roll Structure along with, say, Engineering, to do quick fixes on your Mech (since better Structure means it can tolerate jury-rigging better).

As far as the pilot is concerned, I can see these skills:

Gunnery- for normal line-of-sight weapons
Artillery- for heavy duty or very long range weapons
Melee- for fighting in close quarters
Pilot- for moving the mech around
Engineering- for repairing it
Electronics- for using sensors and other similar systems
Hacking- for computer warfare

What else would we want? We clearly should avoid having too many skills but since this is a system ABOUT mechs it should be a focus.
>>
>>53308052
For mech-related skills that pretty much covers everything you might need. Every other skill would be for out of mech play.

A mech, on the other hand would probably look something like:

Type: TST - 001
Structure: 3
Response: 4
Systems: 2

1 - Left Leg
2 - Right Leg
3-4 - Left Arm, Hand, Weapon Mount
5-6 - Right Arm, Hand
7-9 - Torso, Weapon Mount
10 - Cockpit
>>
>>53308244
Pretty much, though I wonder if only having 3 stats would make it hard to differentiate between mechs. The system for Parts would have to be well developed for it to make sense.
>>
>>53308565
In Battletech you have the differentiation between mech weights as well as the equipment differences. With the built-in creation rules you get your scouts, your mainline ranks, and your heavy bruisers. Trying to recreate that with ORE's point values is a bit difficult, as you end up in the situation of "more dice = all around better". This is why I was looking at MaOTC, as it seems like a balanced way to get varied, personalized mechs.
>>
>>53308727
I see where you're coming from. So the three central stats themselves encompass the mech's ability to do things, while the actual parts you equip onto it describe the things it can do. Like if you have a torso unit with flight capabilities you can roll Pilot + Structure to go airborne, or if you have a cockpit with enhanced sensors you can roll Electronics + Systems to get a better view of the battlefield. It's a good idea.
>>
File: Automotive Damage Report.png (34KB, 377x488px) Image search: [Google]
Automotive Damage Report.png
34KB, 377x488px
This discussion about ORE mechs actually reminds me of my group's driving system for Wild Talents:

>https://pastebin.com/BC6YQhDV

It includes rules for how to run a car chase, how to shoot out tires and nail passengers inside, how to run someone off the road and what happens in a collision. We ran it for the first time last night and it went great, though it ended up with the players hanging upside down from their rolled over vehicle, one with a broken rib almost sticking out of their side.
>>
>>53309101
Thanks! Gotta stop being lazy and actually make the equipment, or rules for making it.

>>53309534
That is very, very nice.
>>
>>53309705
Thanks! I'm working on something similar for running spaceships in the ORE Sci-Fi system I'm patching together. Here's the notes for spaceship damage:

>https://pastebin.com/uv2Es1hG
It's just how a spacecraft's hit locations work, the real grit of systems and combat is another story altogether.
>>
>>53309705
RE: mechs, I do feel however that maaaybe 3 stats is too limited a field, but I'm not sure necessarily how I'd expand it. Right now the three that we have are pretty encompassing:

>Structure: How durable, well built and mechanically powerful the mech is
>Response: How nimble and well handling it is
>Systems: How electronically sophisticated it is

What if we added Mobility as another Stat? In contrast with Response, which is more of a twitch-movement stat, Mobility is about a mech's ability to traverse its environment effectively and quickly.
>>
>>53310082
Going off of an older document I have, you could split up a mech's stats about six different ways:
Structure - The measure of a vehicle’s durability and strength.
Handling - How quickly and how well the vehicle responds to input.
Speed - The vehicle’s velocity compared to other vehicles.
Electronics - The processing power of a vehicle. Uses Communications or Sensors for range.
Sensors - A vehicle’s radar system. Range of Sensors*400 meters.
Communications - A vehicle’s ability to communicate, as well as control drones. Range of Communications*500
Targeting - The vehicle’s ability to target and fire swiftly and accurately.

However, this runs the risk of splitting things up too much, and making things more complicated than they need to be.
>>
>>53310367
Yeah communications and sensors might be overboard as stats given how oftent they'd be used compared with response or weapons. Systems probably covers them nicely.
>>
Also: is this system assuming that mech weapons have their own dice values? So that you roll Gunnery + Weapon to attack with a machine gun, for instance? I noticed that one of the early ideas was to have Response govern weapons, but that could cause the system to get dangerously close to Mekton Zeta's "Reflex is the God Stat" problem.
>>
>>53311850
That's one of the drawbacks, yeah. I was actually thinking that a standard roll would be Gunnery (pilot) + Response (mech), but your suggestion of the guns/equipment having their own dice pools would be a nice hybrid method.
>>
are there combat alternatives beyond Height=location&speed Width=speed?
>>
>>53314499
The Toolkit pdf has multiple ways of doing combat, one of which is a reversed method, I think.
>>
File: adw-outcomes.png (35KB, 270x478px) Image search: [Google]
adw-outcomes.png
35KB, 270x478px
>>53314499
A Dirty World and Better Angels use a more abstracted mechanic that involves pushing stats (qualities and identities for ADW) back and forth on a sliding scale (or knocking points off for potent successes). It also incorporates other kinds of conflicts, you can knock someone's Deceit around by guilt tripping them over a lie you've caught them in for example.
>>
>>53314837
A Dirty World's mechanics are so good. Listen to RPPR's "A Very Thorough Murder" to see it at its finest. Best noir game I ever heard.
>>
I have stuff to ask tomorrow, so bump.
>>
anything new come out using this system?
>>
>>53307653
Gonna answer to that after breakfast because eurofag
>>
File: 425742_1.jpg (55KB, 630x630px) Image search: [Google]
425742_1.jpg
55KB, 630x630px
>>53300286
>And my players decided to create a country for Talents
>>
>>53307653
>>53300286 here

We've been playing for a years now at my LGS, and with around 6 to 8 players who come and go, we got quite a cast. Here's the roaster

Tiberius "Tibia" Hart
He's the captain, even if he can never go back home since he commited treason a few times in the Zone. He was a charming and cunning officer in UK army, then he turned into a lich. He is litteraly a skeleton mage with spell tome and staff, a helmet and a rifle. He can cast spells and does not bleed, but can not be healed unless by powers.

Raymond "Canard" de Voulgezac
A weel groom french bourgeois, he survived an bombing during a diplomatic meeting in the zone and developed powers.FUll of himself, he was a great talker and now he is a even greater figther, but only with a cane. He is also unnormaly athletic.

William "Propulso" Cumry
He is the Yankee. A boxer, he looks like Bruce Willis at the end of Die Hard, and he is a great soldier as long as he have orders to follow. Always bragging, he really want to be charming but just can't. He can create impulses through his palms and feet can can push about 6 tons, or propulse him in the air. He is also one of the few that survived since the beginning of the campaign.

Philomene "Milou" Chatouillette
A shy french girl, she's a thief. Always was, always will be. She's a good fighter now becuse she survived the whole campaign too (she lost an arm but it grew back). She can change the size of thing by touch, and has a magic pocket that can contain a lot of stuff. She collect miniaturized dead nazis in bocals.

Joseph "Jojo" Dzik
A pale and very young polish dude, he's a bit of a wallflower. He can create time bubble where the time slows, or speed himself up. He can also launch ghost knives.
>>
>>53320774
Paul " Nuir Nax" Faulkner
A germen prisor, he has been left in a cave with gold for too long and started turning into a dragon. He can spit fire and is covered in red scales (armor). He reeeaaaallly likes gold and he's starting to develop wings while losing his grip.

Thomas "Son" Lancaster-Hart
The son of Tiberius, he is nothing like his father. He is extremly loyal to the Crown, and more of a bookworm than a soldier. He can turn his limbs into tools he touched earlier.

And last but not least
Anna "The Black Queen" Malinova
She is the only survivor of a campaign I ran witht he same players about two years ago, and that lasted a year and half. She is a gritty, 80% burned czech anarchist tomboy, who became the war and is now queen of the underground in the Zone. She can blow about anything with a loud scream, or release a killing murmur up close.

+ 8 dead characters
>>
Anyone got any experience running a JoJo-esque game with Wild Talents (or even MaOCT)? I'm looking to move my group from the old JoJo FATE hack to something a little more crunchy and the ORE interests me.
>>
>>53320782
>>53320774
That's really awesome; here are some questions about each:

>Tiberius "Tibia" Hart
What exactly turned this guy into a creepy skeleton?

>Raymond "Canard" de Voulgezac
Can you elaborate a bit on this guy's powers? Is it just some hyperskills related to cane combat and athletics?

>William "Propulso" Cumry
What do you credit this guy's longevity to?

>Philomene "Milou" Chatouillette
Does her talent work on people? What happens if she tries to shrink something living?

>Joseph "Jojo" Dzik
I'm also real interested in how you made this guy's power work. Time muckery is always kind of trickey in WT (as it would be in real life).

>Paul " Nuir Nax" Faulkner
This is a great concept for a character. No question here, just want to call it out.

>Thomas "Son" Lancaster-Hart
What's the most useful application of his power you've seen in the game?

>Anna "The Black Queen" Malinova
Man I love the war stories that come out of Godlike. It's deadly in a way that, like, Dark Heresy talks about being but in kind of a more fair way. How'd this chick get burned up?
>>
>>53321436
My Wild Talents game didn't start that way but has been slowly turning more and more Jojo as time's gone on. In the beginning it was "this person is a shapeshifter" and "this chick can fly." Now I've largely embraced the Jojoification of my campaign and have started giving some heroes powers with musical references. To wit:

>Squeeze Box
This power allows its user to "trap" objects that he touches into a two-dimensional form, turning them microscopic and keeping them in orbit around his body. Anything up to 2 tons can be held in this manner. Squeeze Box can be used defensively to trap bullets the moment they hit the skin of the user, and it can be used as a weapon by launching a trapped object from its orbit and unfolding it, causing it to appear in mid air with the same speed and trajectory. This culminated in a fight where the user killed a bunch of animated human husk by launching a giant gold elephant statue at them which he'd trapped earlier.

>Dead on Arrival
This is basically a more fair King Crimson. The user emits an ultrasonic tone that suspends the sensory functions and short term memory of anyone within earshot for about 3 seconds, allowing her to move freely and get huge advantages to attack and dodge, after which everyone snaps back to the present without any knowledge of what just happened.

>The Chronic
The user can turn his body into smoke. This power includes a Permanent 2hd Hyperdodge that made him really hard to kill, and he almost took down one of the party members by worming a smokey arm into her lungs to suffocate her.

Actually making a full on Jojo conversion would be a very fun challenge.
>>
>>53321526
So did those guys have stands or was it more like their power was a stand-like power?

Also i'm totally stealing Squeeze Box and Dead on Arrival
>>
>>53321572
They were Stand-like powers.

The simplest way you could make a Stand is to start with the Sidekick miracle and go from there. Here's how Sidekick is described:

>You can manifest an entity that acts on its own volition. This sidekick uses your Sense and Mind Stats to perceive the world and think for itself, but it has no Skills. It cannot interact with the physical world but can observe and can pass through solid objects and barriers.
Any successful attack dissipates the sidekick—it has no wound boxes—but its Defends quality allows it to make defense rolls to avoid harm.

To allow it to interact with the physical world add the Attacks quality and the Power Capacity (Mass) Extra; to give it Skills or powers use the Variable Effect Extra to “transfer” dice from Sidekick. To allow it to stand up to punishment give it the Armored Defense Flaw on Defends or wound.

Some parts of it are there-- you can manifest an entity that does stuff-- but others aren't (it vanishes when it takes a hit). So you make this the "Summon Stand" ability, and then you give it Hyperstats and other Miracles Attached to "Summon Stand" to work out its specific traits.
>>
>>53321457
>What exactly turned this guy into a creepy skeleton?
It has not be precised, but we know he was smuggled inside the zone in a coffin like a regular dead.

>Is it just some hyperskills related to cane combat and athletics?
Yep, precisely. 10d in each

>What do you credit this guy's longevity to?
He is really good at knowing when to get the hell out, who to kill first and has a nice luck factor. But really the player is really good in managing his fights.

>Does her talent work on people? What happens if she tries to shrink something living?
She can't, that's one of her limit (the other being size). But the shrink shoes and belts and guns and that hurts a lot.

>I'm also real interested in how you made this guy's power work. Time muckery is always kind of trickey in WT (as it would be in real life).
It's simpler in Godlike, there's a "Time Fugue"
power just for that (but WT in wider in possibilities and doesn't need to be fix as much as Godlike). His bubbles just delay an action by width+1 round, and things are stuck inside, so people can't move around unless they rip their hand off.

>This is a great concept for a character. No question here, just want to call it out.
The player is a great guy, always pouring life and emphasis into his character. But they don't live long beacause of that.

>What's the most useful application of his power you've seen in the game?
Keys, and not having to carry 200 tools to explore bunkers, repair pachines etc. Also, smuggling a handgun is always useful.

>Anna "The Black Queen" Malinova
Man I love the war stories that come out of Godlike. It's deadly in a way that, like, Dark Heresy talks about being but in kind of a more fair way. How'd this chick get burned up?
Her and her ex-party were fighting a hugely powerful nazi that could turn into a cloud of burning ashes, the size of a building. It tooks them 4 encounters to finally kill him, and she did it with a scream in the heart of the fire.
>>
>>53321631
That copy/paste turned out terrible, here's better formatting:

>You can manifest an entity that acts on its own volition. This sidekick uses your Sense and Mind Stats to perceive the world and think for itself, but it has no Skills. It cannot interact with the physical world but can observe and can pass through solid objects and barriers.

>Any successful attack dissipates the sidekick—it has no wound boxes—but its Defends quality allows it to make defense rolls to avoid harm. To allow it to interact with the physical world add the Attacks quality and the Power Capacity (Mass) Extra; to give it Skills or powers use the Variable Effect Extra to “transfer” dice from Sidekick. To allow it to stand up to punishment give it the Armored Defense Flaw on Defends or wound
>>
>>53304198
>Can you elaborate as to how you envision Haunting Melodies to work?
An attack that keeps doing the same damage to all foes in the radius.

I built it based on the sonic boom from the speedster in the page, but with duration so it sticks to them for a while hence the Haunting part.
>>
>>53321706
Okay so basically during the course of the song, the user touches people and they take ongoing damage as long as the song continues? That's a very interesting use of those extras and flaws.
>>
>>53321728
It needs not to touch them, the Sonic Boom uses Touch Only and Radius to make and AoE attack centred around you but without harming you.
>>
>>53321761
Hmmm I'd defer to someone who knows Godlike better than I do (I'm mostly familiar with Wild Talents), but usually Touch Only means that your power only affects something that you can reach out and touch.
>>
>>53321807
Eh, Radius is enough to give it the AoE. Touch Only just means you can't lob it like a grenade.
>>
>>53321807

It's for Wild Talents.
I think it's like duration/endless/permanent + attached, that causes a different effect than just each one alone.
Here is the speedster that does something similar: http://arcdream.com/home/2012/07/power-sets-speedster/

>>53321838
That's the idea.
>>
>>53321851
Cool, right from the dev's mouth. Looks good then!
>>
>>53321631
>>53321638
Ah I see that doesn't seem too bad. I guess another way would be to just make each of the stand's powers a Power (so something like Star Platinum might have like ORA ORA, Star Finger, and Star Succ as it's powers) and just fluff as the stand is summoned when the power is used.

Thanks for the help anon.
>>
>>53321851
I did something similar ages ago for an antagonist for an anti-supers police strike team who would gain powers from dressing up as cheap movie monsters (I think I stole the concept from somewhere):

Terrifying Presence 5HD (U; 1pts per die; 10pts)
Useful Extras & Flaws: Attached (Monstrous Aspect) -2, Controlled Effect +1, Daze +1, Exhausted -3, If/Then (target/s must see Fright Night) -1, If/Then (successful Stability check negates) -1, Radius +6, Touch Only -2. Capacity: Touch Only.
Effect: Once per scene Fright Night can terrify all enemies who can see him within a 30 yard range so long as he is dressed up as a monster. Targets who fail a Stability check have their dice pools reduced by 5 the next round. This power manifests as a paralyzing fear that Fright Night is genuinely whichever monster he is dressed as, a feeling which lingers after the initial effect has dissipated.

I was a little miffed that I never got to run him beyond initial reports of a man dressed up as Dracula beating up drug dealers with a tire iron. I was really hoping for a showdown in his families' dilapidated theater in the middle of his slowly deteriorating neighborhood - running around dressed as the Wolfman, howling and punching through walls like Roy Batty at the end of Blade Runner.
>>
>>53321920
That will 100% work. Especially with later Jojo sections where Stands are more like "I can do this crazy thing...and also I have a punch ghost". As long as everyone is on the same page it will work perfectly.

I actually though about how to approach ORA ORA:

ORA ORA ORA (7 pts per die)
>Attacks Mass [Area+6, if/then-1(Damage is only inflicted by area dice)]
EFFECT: Star Platinum unleashes on his target with a crippling, dizzying hail of punches. This attack's damage is not based on its Width; instead a successful Set inflicts 6 Killing Area dice on its target. If Star Platinum attacks with Multiple Actions and lands more than one set, each Set unloads the same area dice on its victim.

A real simple approach but I think it would work nicely. I like it instead of just putting Spray on because you can land a lot more individual hits with Area than you can with Spray, which seems more in line with ORA ORA ORA.
>>
>>53319105
The most recent development was Better Angels, which came out a couple years ago. Since then Greg Stolze worked on the recent edition of Delta Green and just released the 3rd Edition of Unknown Armies. I'd suspect that he'll return to ORE for his next project but nothing's been said on it right now. My dream would be a Wild Talents 3rd Edition but I don't feel like that's too likely.
>>
>>53322023
I may have to steal this. I can definitely picture a criminal in my setting pulling off jobs with this power as his main weapon.
>>
So in the interest of more full converting Monsters and Other Childish Things into Persona (for those interested in more than just a reskinning), I was looking at the stats in Monsters and was thinking about how they could be reflavored for Persona. They don't NEED to be redone, since the game can and has been played with the normal Stats. But I thought that the standard stats don't have the same "feel" as you'd expect in Persona (since they're more aimed at playing as Elementary/Middle School kids vs High School/College age).

With that in mind I'm proposing the following:

Feet-----> Diligence
Hands -> Proficiency
Guts ----> (Stays the same)
Brains --> Knowledge
Face ----> Charm

These are a mix of Persona 4 and 5 Skills; I feel like Diligence matches nicely with Feet, which includes skills like P.E. that require a lot of physical training and discipline, and Proficiency matches quite naturally with Hands.

Thoughts?
>>
There was a Progenitor campaign I ran a while back which featured some confrontations with low-level Progressive Harmony agents. In order to keep them from being utterly outclassed by PCs with powers without having to be metahumans themselves I came up with a Progressive Harmony adherent who can do for normal people what gadgeteers could do for machines:

Reprogram 10HD (UU; 3pts per die; 30pts)
Useful (Grant Willpower) Extras & Flaws: Delayed Effect -2, Direct Feed -2, If/Then (only equal to target's Base Will) -1, Permanent +4, Touch Only -2. Capacity: Touch.
Useful (Grant Motivations) Extras & Flaws: Attached (Grant Willpower) -2, Permanent +4, Touch Only -2. Capacity: Touch.
Effect: Final graduates of the program undergo grueling sessions of highly invasive mental remodeling, this can take anywhere from hours to days depending on the subject and always leaves 'Hoa Sen' exhausted afterwards. It has the following effects on normal humans:
* The subject gains a Willpower score equal to their Base Will (max. 10). 'Hoa Sen' loses an equal number of Willpower points.
* The subject gains Loyalties and Passions. Their total value is equal to the subject's new Willpower score. Hoa Sen selects the Motivations and their values.
The subject's new Motivations burn in their psyche like a fire. Boosted beyond the mere human foibles of love and drive they eclipse all former dedications in their zeal.

It also gives subjects a couple of other things - some HD in Stability, Hyperdice in Command subject to the condition that it was only good for the 'how long can you hold your hand in the fire' part of the stat, and a couple of WD in relevant hyperskills. The real kicker is that if a subject hit zero Willpower they'd automatically start hemorrhaging Base Will and end up catatonic. Despite this the program is made up solely of volunteers and is highly selective.
>>
>>53322810
Looks solid. I see no inconsistencies with the transition.
>>
>>53322830
I think what I'm going to do is start another pastebin for these threads with anon-created Miracles. There's some really great stuff that's not only creative but is useful-- this power works perfectly as a "this villain's charisma is so profound that it empowers his minions" type ability.
>>
>>53323059
That would be great if these are to become regular generals
>>
>>53323189
Behold, the Miracle Flea Market

>https://pastebin.com/32yNPtax
>>
File: 1493967065696.jpg (69KB, 540x539px) Image search: [Google]
1493967065696.jpg
69KB, 540x539px
>>53323586
Radical
>>
>>53289094
Unknown armies is older than nemisis. Borrowing went the other way.
>>
>>53324237
OP here, yeah I got my info wrong on that. I'm going to fix it for the next time I have one of these threads. My bad.
>>
>>53322810
Seems good to me.

On that note, do you have any ideas on how a persona is affected by what arcana it is yet?
Or is that something you think should be more fluff then crunch?
>>
>>53324724
Not sure yet. Obviously each relationship you have is linked to an Arcana depending on who the person is and how you relate to them. Your character also has their own Arcana based on the one you most closely identify with.

I think it can *mostly* be fluff but there should be guidelines for each Arcana about the kind of Persona that usually exist within it. If your character is the Strength Arcana, it's pretty obvious what your Persona should be, but what about Moon or Fortune? How do those relate?
>>
>>53325144
I think there was a persona thread a little bit ago that fell off the board with a list of effects, which I think we're from the game. I'll see if I can grab them.
>>
>>53325144
>>53325172
Got it.

>Fool - Generalists, no specific weakness or strengths. Jacks of all trades.
>Magician - Magically oriented (obviously), they are usually fire oriented.
>Priestess - The flipside to the Magician. Still magically focused, but here dealing with healing and support magic instead.
>Empress - Like the Priestess, the Empress' Personas have healing and support magic, but unlike the Priestess, they will also have offence. Typically associated with ice as an element.
>Emperor - The Emperor Arcana is associated with Lightning and physical power.
>Hierophant - The Personas of the Hierophant are balanced, with no weaknesses, but with no particular strengths either. Whether between the elements, or between magic and physical natures.
>Lovers - Another healing and support Arcana.
>Chariot - An Arcana focused on physically strong Personas.
>Justice - Usually focused on healing and Expel based magic.
>Hermit - Status infliction, specifically mental statuses (such as charm or confusion)
>Fortune - Typically wind based.
>Strength - Another physical powerhouse Arcana.
>Hanged Man - Want something tough? The Hanged Man Arcana is filled with Personas that hang on and keep going when others would die.
>Death - Responsible for the Dark type skills (such as the Mudo line)
>Temperance - As its name indicates, this Arcana's another of the well-rounded types. No particular strengths or weaknesses here.
>Devil - A mixture of negative statuses, and Darkness abilities.
>Tower - Another physically focused Arcana.
>Star - A minor focus on air and ice. Nothing particularly interesting.
>Moon - More physical Personas.
>Sun - As might be guessed, the Personas of the Sun Arcana are focused on Expel and Fire based abilities.
>Judgement - Balancing Light and Shadow, the Personas of the Judgement Arcana have both the Expel and Darkness abilities.
>World - The "fuck you, I win" Arcana. The personas here tend to only appear at the end of game.
>>
>>53325183
That's an excellent starting point. What we need is the visual/mythological theme of each Arcana, and we also need the symbolic meaning of each too for assigning them to Relationships.

Once those are in place the work is basically done. Relationships in MaOCT work by letting you get extra dice in situations linked to your relationship. The Arcana is just a neat, organized way of saying "this is what this Relationship means to me and what it can do."

Your Relationships could also give you extra dice that can be used to create or fuel your secondary Personae (if we decided to go with using a kind of modified Wild Card system where you can have lesser back-up Personae along with your main one for support in specific tasks)
>>
hey guys does anyone Reign characters sheets?
>>
File: Reign Character sheet.pdf (2MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Reign Character sheet.pdf
2MB, 1x1px
>>53325534
Here ya go.
>>
>>53325358
This is a good place to start.
>>
Any good WT charsheets?
Bonus points if it's .pdf filleable.
>>
>>53325358
One thing to take into account when hacking MaOCT is that relationships are the main feedback loop in the game. Relationships getting hurt in one session inform scenes that will happen in the next, and that's a very important part of the game as intended.

Now, by adding theming and restrictions (some of which I suggested myself don't get me wrong) to them, we're messing with the balance of incentives that's already in place (though you may be of the opinion that this is necessary anyways).

We should make sure we're not clogging up the works, is my point
>>
>>53326244
That's exactly true! It's to the system's strength and helps it line up with Persona nicely (since a lot of people play the games for the Social Links system), so a conversion definitely shouldn't bog it down; in fact it should open it up.

So what we should focus on is adding Themes to the Relationships to say what they're allowed to do, not adding Restrictions to say what they aren't allowed to do.
>>
Question: has anyone here actually played Reign? It always seems like "the coolest game that you've never played and probably will never find anyone else to play with."
>>
>>53308244
Here's a thought:

For the Torso, what if you can install modules into it that take up Hit Locations? So that a mech without any modules have 10 hit boxes in 7-9, but you could also have one with a Sensor Module at 7, a flight module at 8 and a weapon mounted at 9; modules have fewer hit locations than the the Torso would normally, so you're basically trading structural integrity for functionality; if all Torso modules are destroyed, the torso (and the mech) goes with it.
>>
>>53314499
One of the methods I saw, I believe in Nemesis, was rolling a separate, different colored die to determine hit location. That way a super fast, super accurate attack won't always be going at your head.
>>
So this was fun. I stated up The Boss from MGS3 for a Stat Me thread. Had some real fun with Hyperstats and Hyperskills here.

The Boss

STATS
Body 4d Coordination 5d
Sense 4d Mind 3d
Charm 3d Command 4d (7d)
BASE WILL 10

SKILLS
Athletics 3d (7d), Brawling 5d (9d), Block 5d (9d), Endurance 3d (10d), Weapon (Knife) 4d (9d), Dodge 3d (8d), Ride (Horse) 2d (7d), Stealth 4d (10d), Weapon (Firearms) 3d (8d), Perception 3d (7d), Empathy 2d (6d), Scrutiny 3d (7d), Tactics 5d (8d), First Aid 3d (6d), Language (Russian) 5d (8d), , Lie 2d (5d), Persuade 3d (6d), Intimidate 3d (10d), Interrogate 2d (9d), Leadership 3d (10d+1wd), Stability 3d (10d+2hd)

LOYALTY: Her Country (4), Her Comrades (3)
PASSION: Battle (3)

CLOSE QUARTERS COMBAT (CQC)
Hyperbrawling: [Attack +2, Penetration+2, Deadly+1] (6 points per die) 1wd (24 pts)
Hyperdisarm: [Go First+2] (3 points per die) 1wd (12 pts)
Hyperblock: [Defends+2] (3 points per die) 1wd (12 pts)
Hyperknife: [Duration+2, Self-Only-3, Limited Width-1] ( 1 point per die) 2hd (4 pts)
EFFECTS: As the creator of Close Quarters Combat, the Boss is its unrivalled master. Her physical blows inflict Width+1 in Killing and her knowledge of joint locks and how best to exploit weaknesses to break bones allows her strikes to bypass up to 2 layers of armor. She can disarm any weapon from her opponent's grasp with +2 Width for speed, and any block she employs gains +2 Gobble Dice to destroy her assailant's Sets. CQC also encompasses Knife-Mastery; as a result, she can combine a Knife strike with any other action that she takes without taking a penalty for multiple actions.

(1/2)
>>
>>53327649
(2/3)
INSPIRING LEADER
Hypercommand: (4 points per die) 3d (12 pts)
Hyperleadership: [Permanent+4] (5 points per die) 1wd (20 pts)
Hyperstability: (1 point per die) 2hd (4 pts)
EFFECTS: The Boss's ability to command her troops is legendary. Any order she issues is burned into the minds of her followers, such that it is never forgotten, even if that person one day decides to turn against her, which invokes a Stability check each time it is countermanded. This aura of irresistable authority stems from her own inner strength. With a total of 7d in Command she does not suffer dice penalties from injury or distraction and can use her Command stat instead of her Body stat when she makes an Endurance roll.

JOY OF BATTLE (8 pts per die) 2hd (32 pts)
Useful (Engulf+2, Permanent+4, Self Only-3)
Useful (Permanent+4, Self Only-3)
EFFECTS: The Boss's experience in battle has steeled her body and her nerves. She gains 2 additional Hit Boxes to all of her locations, and she doesn't lose dice from her Sets if she's hit by up to 2 attacks before they resolve.

FIELD STRIPPING
Hyperbrawl: [Attacks+4, Non-Physical+2, if/then-1 (only against firearms), Attached-2 (Disarm), Permanent+4] (8 pts per die) 2hd (32 pts)
EFFECT: Decades of combat experience has trained the Boss to be able to dismantle a weapon in seconds. After relieving a target of his weapon, this skill activates, inflicting 6 damage against the weapon, sufficient to break down a rifle to its component parts. Since this skill uses the Boss's knowledge of weaponry as the source of the damage, it bypasses any armor qualities that might make the arm resistant to damage.
>>
File: tumblr_oopwz1Mj381sndzdgo2_540.jpg (261KB, 540x751px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_oopwz1Mj381sndzdgo2_540.jpg
261KB, 540x751px
>>53320782
>>53320774
these are crazy !
>>
I've just started reading up on Wild Talents and so far it's pretty great. There's definitely some stuff to take in, like Opposing rolls gobbling up dice, but so far I like the sound of the system.

My question is this: I've heard Mutants and Masterminds doesn't work that well for a low-power campaign, but what about Wild Talents? If my players (and the vast majority of the NPCs) have smaller, weaker powers, will the game still be fun?
>>
>>53327649
>>53327668
This is great, I only now realized how perfect Wild Talents would be for running a Metal Gear game.
>>
>>53328717
I'd argue that not only will it be fun, but that's the ideal way to play. A group of otherwise normal guys with weird, specific powers is a great way to approach Wild Talents. It's when you start doing real crazy, mythic stuff that the system starts to suffer some strain. It still runs, you just need to be more judicious in how you hand out dice.
>>
>>53329215
It wouldn't be hard at all. Godlike is already "WWII but some people have superpowers." Metal gear isn't much of a jump from that.
>>
>>53329639
So Wild Talents is good for replicating both the realistic gun porn aspect and the pseudo-superhero aspect of Metal Gear?
That may just sell me on this system.

Even though I don't know much about the system, that stat block for The Boss was really interesting to read, I like how all her abilities that make her special are able to be represented in the game.
>>
>>53328717
Yes. Wild Talents is extremely flexible and starts from a baseline of everyone being a normal person - a character might have superstrength and eye-lasers but unless they buy some kind of defensive power they're just as vulnerable as the next guy to gunfire and cricket bats (barring Willpower expenditure).
>>
>>53329751
It's not SUPER gun-porny but the options are there. There are options to distinguish between a gun that fires 10mm vs .45 ACP ammunition, for instance. I think you'd be pleased with it.

You can do some cool things with Stealth too; I've done infiltrations in my games where a base's Alertness was measured in a dice pool that the players had to beat with their Stealth.

Since Metal Gear is all about Stealth too you'd probably want to have separate skills for, say, Sneaking and Hiding, perhaps. It's an interesting idea that I'd want to put more work into.
>>
File: Firearm and Rocket Stats.png (231KB, 547x876px) Image search: [Google]
Firearm and Rocket Stats.png
231KB, 547x876px
>>53332067
This is kind of what I'm talking about. If you really wanted these numbers to mean something, the tools are there.
>>
>>53326134
>>
File: ammo.png (36KB, 603x244px) Image search: [Google]
ammo.png
36KB, 603x244px
>>53332378
There are also further options to distinguish guns based on caliber.
>>
>Fabricator Suit (6 per die)
>Qualities: A D U.
>Attacks Extras and Flaws: (+2), Depleted (-1), Duration (+2), Focus (-1), If/Then (Only for Variable Effect) (-1), Mental Strain (-2), If/Then (Qualities share recharges) (-1), Variable Effect (+4)
>Defends Extras and Flaws: (+2), Depleted (-1), Duration (+2), Focus (-1), If/Then (Only for Variable Effect) (-1), Mental Strain (-2), If/Then (Qualities share recharges) (-1), Variable Effect (+4)
>Useful Extras and Flaws: (+2), Depleted (-1), Duration (+2), Focus (-1), If/Then (Only for Variable Effect) (-1), Mental Strain (-2), If/Then (Qualities share recharges) (-1), Variable Effect (+4)
>Veronica's technological suit of armor protects her a fair bit, but it's main use is to allow her to rapidly create any tool she may need through her neural connection to the nanoforge in the suit, at the cost of great mental strain.
>She can pull out any such item by assigning dice from her Fabricator Suit power, but she may only create a total number of items equal to the number of dice in the Fabricator Suit power squared before needing to replenish materials.
>Thus, if she had Fabricator Suit 2d+2HD+1WD, she would be able to make 25 gadgets.
>Ablative Armor (1)
>Qualities: U.
>Useful Extras and Flaws: Engulf (+2), Permanent (+4), Self Only (-4), Attached (Fabricator Suit) (-2), Focus (-1). Capacities: Self.
>Effect: This power, it gives you width in additional wound boxes on every hit location. (Basically Extra Though) is typically bought with Hard Dice to guarantee its width.

Is this okay?
It's a modified Utility Belt, and the char that has been using it hasn't stolen the spotlight or anything, but it's amazingly flexible, like a cheaper cosmic power.
>>
>>53334960
Sure, it works fine. They have to spend a bunch of Willpower to do really heinous stuff with it (although that can be overcome by sticking flaws like One Use on assigned dice to make room for extras), it has the built-in limiter of only producing tools, and if they try something really outlandish you're well within your rights as a GM to set difficulties and assign penalty dice or veto it for being outside the scope of the power ("Computer, give me a bunch of Ice-9").
>>
>>53322191
Is there a scene for making one-shot modules or published fan campaigns for Wild Talents? Or is /tg/ probably my best bet?
>>
>>53335794
/tg/ probably. Mini-versions would make a good discussion prompt if these threads were regular, something like: What incidents might metahuman police PCs encounter during their shift? Tack on a few twists or alternative ways a scene might shake out and you've got something you can drop into a relevant game.

I might try coming up with some when I get back from work later tonight.
>>
>>53329417
>>53331149
How many points would you recommend tbe players to start with?
>>
>tfw just read Reign yesterday and hated it
>after loving GODLIKE. A Dirty World, and Better Angels

Well, shit.
>>
I would pay good fucking money for GODLIKE to get a Vietnam War supplement.
>>
>The Ninth Legion hasn't had an update in over a year now
>emailed the company about it
>"Stolze is gonna put it in an upcoming book sometime soon, don't worry"

ROMA INVICTA MOTHERFUCKERS
>>
>>53327649
How does stuff with one die work?
For example you have 1wd in hyperbrawling, could you add that just to any brawling test, making your pool for that 9d+1wd?
>>
>>53327649
now do Grey Fox
>>
File: 1488202487567.png (615KB, 542x673px) Image search: [Google]
1488202487567.png
615KB, 542x673px
>>53289094
>download Wild Talents core book PDF
>distance and speed is measured in yards

Fuck you
>>
>>53337261
>muh metric system
>>
>>53337261
I had a similar problem with Mutants&Masterminds
>>
File: Metric-vs-Imperial.jpg (49KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Metric-vs-Imperial.jpg
49KB, 640x480px
>>53337271
>how dare you complain about my retarded ways of measurig things
>>
>>53336036
What was wrong with it?
>>
>>53337017
The way that Hyperskills work is that you EITHER add their bonus dice to a skill (so you roll Stat + Skill + Hyperskill) or you roll Stat + Hyperskill and can activate the Extras and other effects attached to it. So in the case of the Boss's Hyperbrawling, for instance, she can roll either 9d+1wd, or she can roll 4d+1wd with +2 damage, penetration+2 and deadly. This of course is just one way she could be built; you could add more dice to her Hyperskill to make her even better at inflicting lethal damage.
>>
>>53337250
What do we know about him except "is a cyborg ninja?"
>>
>>53338118
He can turn invisible and appearantly is strong enough that he can hold up a Metal Gear that is trying to crush him
>>
>>53338214
If I have a few minutes later today I'll write him up. Should be quite easy actually; guys who are just combat machines are fairly easy to put together in Wild Talents.
>>
>>53338564
Some more things to keep in mind with him, he was great with swords but also good in hand to hand combat.
Also since most of his power comes from the exoskeleton he's wearing he is weak to EMPs and any other type of thing that can jam electronics (like chaff grenades in the game), if his suit gets jammed he gets paralyzed.
>>
>>53337261
Even the bool tell you to just use metres if you want. It's 0.91m anyway.
>>
>>53339078
What one could do iis write that weakness to EMP as an intrinsic quality to his Power Source; Technology. Maybe as an allergy.
>>
Anyone care to share some 300~ points chars?
I need to make more than 17 NPC soon and I'm a but low on ideas.

Even only ideas would help.
>>
Bump for reply later this afternoon. Gonna work on Gray Fox
>>
Which is better for running a cyberpunk/superhuman game, Wild Talents or M&M? I was originally thinking of running M&M, but if Wild Talents is easier to get up and going I think that would be a better option. I also like to use home brew settings, but it doesn't seem like Wild Talents is too setting constrained. I've only ever run D&D.
>>
>>53341585
M&M is really only better for straight comic book emulation in the 4-color style. Stepping away from that leads to... oddities.

Anything with a bit more grit is probably better suited for WT - and I say that as a bigger fan of M&M than of WT (though admittedly I'm a bigger fan of other ORE systems than I am of WT also, though I do like it overall).
>>
So as someone new to the system, how easily can different ORE game systems be hacked together? I know stuff from Godlike can go into Wild Talents, but could I take things from Nemesis or MoCT and add them to WT, or vice-versa?
>>
>>53342930
MaOCT is fairly unique and stand-alone but it's still built on some of the same building blocks as Wild Talents (especially the way that Monsters are made up of Attacks, Defense and Useful parts). You can certainly cut the Relationships part out and put it into another game though.

All the rest are super adaptable. In my Wild Talents game, for instance, we used the awesome Company rules from Reign to play out the battles between different street gangs. We also straight-up transplanted Reign's Martial Path and Esoteric Disciplines without any serious hiccups. Nemesis is basically Wild Talents but with UA's Madness Meters installed, so you can pull those out and put them into any game you want.

Really, the ORE is probably the most adaptable system I've ever come across. It's incredibly flexible and incredibly welcoming to changes and modifications. Pretty much anything you want to do to it, it can accommodate.
>>
>>53340820
Can you give some more detail onto your setting? I only ask because point cost isn't always the best indication of how strong a character is. The overall design ethos behind them is much more important.
>>
>>53341585
If you're looking for a setting agnostic toolkit, Wild Talents is your boy. It can handle just about any setting. To wit, its published settings include two in modern day, one in the wild west, one in Victorian England and another in ancient Greece.

If you're looking to build something from the ground up, Wild Talents definitely gives you the tools to do it.
>>
File: All Might.jpg (108KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
All Might.jpg
108KB, 1280x720px
>>53343412
Hero School.
Potential to grow and low skills with mighty miracles/hyperstuff.
I need classmates for the party, but stronger characters as teachers and the like would be nice as well.
>>
>>53343507
So basically the characters are 300 pointers because they have very powerful Miracles, not necessarily because they are highly skilled?
>>
>>53343640
Mostly, yes.
That's the gist of it.
They have yet to learn the skill part of heroing, not everything is about how good you can punch someone.
>>
Alright so this took some time but I think I did a pretty good job at capturing the various aspects of Gray Fox. I stated him out as if he'd be maybe an early-to-mid game encounter, so his Skill dice maybe aren't as high as they COULD be, but that's easy to adjust.

This will probably take at least 2 posts.

Frank Jaeger/Gray Fox (273 pts)

ARCHETYPE: Cybernetic Genome Soldier (4 points)
>Sources: Driven (0), Technology (+5)
>Permissions: Hypertrained (+5), Super Equipment (+2), Unhealing (-8)
>Description: The product of both superior FOXHOUND training and advanced technology, the Cybernetic Genome Soldier is a force to be reckoned with. Its one weakness is owed to its partly mechanical nature, which prevents it from healing from damage in a normal way. Any battle damage must be repaired via mechanical skills rather than with First Aid or Medicine.

STATS (90 pts)
Body 1d (6d) Coordination 1d (4d)
Sense 3d Mind 4d
Charm 2d Command 3d

SKILLS (74 pts)
Brawling 2d (8d), Block 2d (8d), Athletics 2d (8d), Endurance 2d (8d), Weapon (Sword) 2d (8d+1wd), Dodge 2d (8d+1wd), Stealth 2d (8d+1hd), Weapon (Handgun) 2d (8d), Perception 2d (5d), Scrutiny 2d (5d), Empathy 1d (4d), Tactics 2d (6d), Language (German) 3d (7d), Persuasion 2d (4d), Lie 2d (4d), Leadership 3d (6d), Intimidation 2d (5d), Interrogation 3d (6d), Stability 1d (4d)

(Continued)
>>
>>53344447
POWERS (105 pts)

TOKUGAWA HEAVY INDUSTRIES POWERED EXOSKELETON (13 pts) 2hd (52 pts)
Defends Extras and Flaws [Armored Defense-2, Interference+3, Permanent+4, Durable Focus+0, Limited Width-1] Capacity: Self
Defends Extras and Flaws [Armored Defense-2, Permament+4, Durable Focus+0] Capacity: Self
Useful Extras and Flaws [Self Only-3, Permanent+4, Durable Focus+0] Capacity: Self
EFFECTS: Gray Fox's Exoskeleton provides him with HAR1 and LAR2 to all locations. It also provides him with the life-support functions needed to sustain his body after it was severely damaged during the incursion on Zanzibar Land. The armor itself is quite durable but can still be damaged if attacked directly; as it covers Gray Fox's entire body, each hit location has 4 wound boxes where the armor could be stripped away by a determined enough attack

STEALTH CAMOUFLAGE (2 pts) 5d+1wd (14 pts)
Defends Extras and Flaws [Duration+2, Attached-2 (Exoskeleton)] Capacity: Self
Useful Extras and Flaws [Duration+2, Self-Only-3, Attached-2 (Exoskeleton)] Capacity: Self
EFFECTS: Gray Fox's Exoskeleton possesses stealth capabilities that renders its user invisible. This allows Gray Fox to avoid visual detection as well as to avoid attacks by vanishing from sight. This technology can be overcome through keen perception or by means of non-optical scanning.

(continued)
>>
>>53344460
EXOSKELETON ENHANCEMENTS (28 pts)
Hyperbody Extras and Flaws: [Attached-2 (Exoskeleton)] (2 pts) 5d (10 pts)
Hyperbody Extras and Flaws: [Attached-2 (Exoskeleton), if/then-1(only for Athletics), Exhausted-3] (1 pt) 4d (4 pts)
Hypercoordination Extras and Flaws:[Attached-2 (Exoskeleton)] (2 pts) 3d (6 pts)
Hypercoordination Extras and Flaws: [Attached-2 (Exoskeleton), if/then-1(only for Dodging)] (1 pt) 2d (2 pts)
Hyperdodge Extras and Flaws: [Attached-2 (Exoskeleton)] (1 pt) 2+1wd (6 pts)
EFFECTS: The Tokugawa Powered Exoskeleton vastly amplifies its user's strength to extreme levels. It elevates Gray Fox's shattered body such that his blows can shatter human bones (inflicting Width in Killing) and lift well over 1,600 lbs without difficulty. Moreover, in short bursts he's capable of even greater acts of athleticism (hence being able to hold back Metal Gear REX's leg at bay), though this ability is so taxing that it can only be used once per encounter. The Exoskeleton also improves Gray Fox's agility, boosting his Coordination in general and his ability to Dodge attacks specifically, even to the extent where he can avoid direct gunfire (this elevates his Coordination to 6d when using Dodge, fast enough to dodge bullets).

FOXHOUND TRAINING (11 pts)
Hypersword (1pt) 1wd (4 pts)
Hypersword (Dismemberment) Extras and Flaws [Extra Quality: Useful+2] (3 pts) 2d (6 pts)
Hyperstealth (1 pt) 1hd (2d pts)
EFFECT: Gray Fox's FOXHOUND training has made him into a virtual killing machine with an emphasis on close-quarters combat using a bladed weapon, as well as in stealth and sneaking. This grants him +1wd to any normal sword attack; but it also comes with an added bonus. By rolling his Disememberment skill, filling a target's limb with killing will always separate that limb from the rest of the target's body, forcing an immediate Stability check against a total breakdown. If the target's Torso is affected by this ability, then the victim is cleaved in half.
>>
Oh, and his HF sword is just a regular sword (width+1 killing) with penetration 3. No need to make it a focus miracle.
>>
Making a speedster villain bump
>>
>>53343679
Here's one for you then. Between his Stats (70 pts) and his Powers (162 pts) you've got 68 points to work with, which equates to 34 dice worth of Skills, minus however much his Archetype costs in your game.

Joaquin "Sundowner" Kelly

STATS (70 pts)
Body 2d Coordination 3d
Sense 3d Mind 1d
Charm 3d Command 2d

POWERS (162 pts)

DUST IN THE WIND (14 pts) 5d+1wd (126 pts)
>Useful Extras and Flaws (Control Sand)[Variable Effect+4, if/then-1(only for controlling Sand)] Capacity: Mass, Range
>Attacks+1 Extras and Flaws (Sand Blast) [Limited Damage (Killing)-1, Spray+1, if/then-1 (requires sand in the environment)] Capacity: Range, Mass
>Useful Extras and Flaws (Sand Recovery) [If/then-1 (requires sand in the environment), Self-Only-3) Capacity: Self
>Defense+1 (Sand Block/Dissolution) Capacity: Self
>Useful (Sand Floe) Capacity: Speed
EFFECTS: Sundowner has full control over any amount of sand within a 50 foot radius of his body. He can handle it with any degree of force or delicacy as a job requires, from planting individual grains in a person’s eye to smashing huge dunes of sand into a person and whipping up immense sandstorms. With a sufficient supply of sand, Sundowner can whip it up and launch it at speeds exceeding 300mph, enough to strip flesh from bone and throw a human being dozens of feet through the air. This inflicts Width in Killing with Spray and Knockback effects. He can absorb sand from the space around him into his body to heal wounds (Width in Shock and Killing) via an unknown physical process which attests to the radical nature of his power. As a final ability, Sundowner can transform his body into sand as a form of travel, allowing him to move through the air along air currents created by his power, or to be temporarily contained.
(1/2)
>>
>>53346342
(2/2)

CASTLES IN THE SAND (6 pts) 3hd (36 pts)
>Defends Extras and Flaws [Armored Defense-2, Interference+3, Endless+3, Limited Width-1, if/then-1 (Requires sand in the environment)] Capacity: Self
>Defends Extras and Flaws [Armored Defense-2, Endless+3, if/then-1 (Requires sand in the environment)]
EFFECTS: Sundowner can encase his body in a thin but dense layer of sand roughly as hard as concrete, without sacrificing the flexibility needed to move about freely. This grants him the equivalent of HAR1 and LAR3 whenever active.

I didn't give him any Skills (in my game he was a gunslinger who shot glass bullets from his revolvers) so you can stat him up however you want.
>>
>>53346382
>>53346342
Nice, thanks.
>>
bump because I have another 300 point candidate that I'll post after I finish my game tonight's game (it's Reign reflavored for Star Trek using a homebrewed system I'm working on)
>>
After thinking about things for a bit, I decided to just take the "keep it simple" route when it comes to mech creation. So here's a sample of what I was thinking.

TST-001

Structure 3 (15 pts)
Response 4 (20 pts)
Systems 3 (15 pts)

ARM 2 (10 pts)

Each of the hit locations have the usual amount of hit points.

1-2 Legs: Jump Jets
3-4 L Arm
5-6 R Arm: Pulse Rifle
7-9 Torso: Targeting Array
10 Cockpit

Not quite sure what the specific Wild Talents bits and bobs are, but gear/equipment would be something like...

Pulse Rifle (12 pts) - Attack quality (5 pts), Width in Shock + 1 (3 pts), Handheld (2 pts), Spray 2 (2 pts)

Targeting Array (16 pts)- Useful quality (5 pts), Ability - self: boost weapon range 3 (3 pts)
Useful quality (5 pts) Ability - other: boost weapon range 3 (3 pts)

Jump Jets (12 pts) Useful quality (5 pts), Range 7 (7 pts)
>>
>>53347548
That looks reasonable to me; I like this method a lot more than the more convoluted system in ORE Mecha. It just makes sense to treat the Mecha itself as a person instead of a wad of Miracles.

What do you think of the idea that I wrote up here:>>53310082 of using Mobility as a 4th Stat?
>>
>>53348270
Definitely room for it. You just have to adjust the costs so that stats can be balanced, which is really easy.

For tests, I figured you could just use the mech's stats as a replacement for the pilot's body, and roll them with the pilot's skills.

Also need to look up and translate the cookbook stuff from wild talents so that things are a bit more apparent/relevant.
>>
>>53348434
Yeah it looks like you're cooking up an entirely new economy there; can you explain your point costs for the different qualities and extras? Or are those basically just filler?
>>
>>53348481
>>53348481
Filler, for the most part, as I don't know the qualities and such from Wild Talents offhand. As for creating gear and weapons, it seems like taking the point values from Wild Talents (as in, this power costs this much dice) works well for customization. Say, if you want to swap out a laser on your mech, just refund the points for the weapon and make something new with them.
>>
Here's another candidate for a 300 point character. He's 220 between his Stats and Powers, leaving 80 points for the Archetype and Skills. When my group dealt with him he was a Rastafarian gangster hanging out in drug palace.

Joseph "Jojo" Joliet

STATS (80 pts)
Body 1d Coordination 3d
Sense 3d Mind 3d
Charm 3d Command 3d

POWERS (140 pts)

CONDITIONER (14 pts) 6d+1wd (140 pts)
>Useful Extras and Flaws (Sap Muscles) [Interference+3, Duration+2] Capacity: Range
>Defends Extras and Flaws (Sap Attack) [Interference+3] Capacites: Self, Range
EFFECTS: Jojo can create floating, homing soap bubbles that numb any body part that they come into contact with. The bubbles respond to his will almost subconsciously, allowing him to influence a wide area. Jojo can effectively defend againsst attacks by numbing the body parts used to throw off or weak attacks. He can also use these bubbles to foil other actions, such such as running or even speaking effectively, by numbing the body parts needed to execute them. Since Jojo can more effectively concentrate his bubbles outside of a combat situation, the numbness induced on a non-offensive action lingers for Height x 10 seconds (or Width in Rounds if used in combat, though not as a defense against an attack).
>>
>>53348553
That sounds reasonable; the specifics can be dialed in at a later time. It actually reads a lot like Monsters and Other Childish Things, which I think works for your favor here since you're not measuring everything in dice, but in the cost of an effect. In Wild Talents you'd need to price each of those Qualities out on a per-dice level that you'd then buy up and roll; here you're pricing it and then attaching it to one of the Mech's stats.

We still need to figure out Weapons though; in addition to the base cost of the weapon you'd also need to give it dice to roll along with a Pilots Gunner/Artillery/Melee Skill; in Wild Talents the more powerful the weapon is, the higher its per dice cost. Here we could go that way or we could have the cost be that of the weapon itself, and the dice cost is fixed (1-2 pts per die or something). Either one could potentially work as long as one were consistent with it.
>>
>>53348810
Should weapons work like equipment, and be statted as above, or should they be statted out differently?

With the above, you roll stat+skill and apply the effect/damage of the equipment or weapon. You could also roll stat+skill+weapon/equipment, but that seems like going a bit far. Then you could also roll skill+weapon/equipment, but that cuts out the mech's stat rolls.
>>
>>53348874
To keep everything consistent it should still be Pilot Dice + mech dice, so the question remains as to where the mech dice for weapons comes from. The way I see it, a mech either has a Firepower stat that governs all it's weapons, or each weapon has its own dice pool, in which case the question is where does that pool come from?

It could be that a weapon slot has a fixed point value, and you have to choose whether to invest those points into Extras to make the weapon stronger, or into dice To make it more reliable. Which is a very MaOCT approach, which I like.
>>
I want to run a Teenage Action-Drama with high-powered scenes, a la X-Men, Power Rangers, Code Lyoko, Naruto, Jojo pt4 etc.

I'm looking at Monsters and Other Childish Things as a possibility. There's a bit of an anime influence I'm looking to preserve, but the important thing is to have a High-School background and powers that the characters need to keep hidden.

I'm totally new to this One Roll Engine, and I'm wondering if anyone has run a similar game and has some advice. Are there any mechanics to simulate or capture dumb shit that teenagers do?
>>
>>53351583
i think Wild Talents is the best ORE game for what you are looking for
>>
I won't let this thread be killed by some stupid Filename thread
bump
>>
You're a gentleman and a scholar.
>>
>>53351583
>Are there any mechanics to simulate or capture dumb shit that teenagers do?
You could try something with fluctuating relationship dice. For example: Assign numbers 1-10 to the character's relationships (most relationships will have more than one number) then roll 5D at the beginning of a session.

Result
2x: The relationship with the value of the set height increases by 1 at the expense of the next closest relationship (choose if tied for proximity). This lasts until next session, unless events would make the shift permanent (GM discretion, talk it over).
3x: The relationship with the value of the set height increases by 2 at the expense of the next closest relationship (choose if tied for proximity). This lasts until next session, unless events would make the shift permanent (GM discretion, talk it over).
4x: The relationship with the same value as the set height increases by 3 for this session, the relationship with the value of the loose die is unavailable until the next session (if these are the same relationship the bonus is deferred until the next session, provided you can fix whatever is causing the rift).
5x: Gain a whole new relationship at 2 dice. These will disappear at a rate of 1 per session unless you spend experience to start making them permanent. Work out with the GM the nature of the new connection.

You'd still have to come up with explanations as to why so-and-so no longer likes/is dating/wont speak to such-and-such, but that's normal teenage bullshit for you.
>>
>>53351583
That really depends on if you want the game to focus on the specifics of what a power can do and how it works (which favors Wild Talents' detailed mechanics and power-building) or if you'd rather it be more lightweight and easier to make-up on the go (which favors MaOCT's Weird Kid rules). Either way you'll want to use the Relationship mechanics from MaOCT, possibly as a replacement to Wild Talent's Willpower mechanics (since you don't want TOO many sources of bonus dice).
>>
>>53353688
...Did you just make that up? Because that's honestly kind of brilliant. I never would have thought to create a social network built like hit locations on a character. Wow, I need to think this over because it could have some awesome implications.

My only thought, and this applies to any game that wants to simulate teenage drama, is "what can we borrow from Monsterhearts?" Because that game does teen drama better than just about any other.
>>
>>53335794
>>53335877
I'll make that the theme of the next biweekly ORE thread whenever this one gets archived.
>>
>>53355404
Can't we just keep one up at all times?
Failing that, one a week?
>>
>>53353688
Stealing this.
>>
>>53353688
Stolen and sent to my soon-to-be-M&OCT GM.
>>
>>53359341
Never played it, how is the gameplay?
>>
>>53356078
It might fly; the last thread had like 20 posters, this one is at 39 so far, so it's definitely got a higher profile on the board than a couple weeks ago. My hope is that with active threads like this we're enticing new people to check out the system and spread its gospel, since most everyone who dips their toes into the One Roll Engine finds something in it that they really like.
>>
>>53353688
Yeah I'm definitely saving this to a pastebin to include in the next OP. It's extremely rad.
>>
>>53355273
>>53357610
>>53359341
Fair warning, I did just eyeball it and the higher width results are vanishingly unlikely.

Here's a great resource that goes into eye-watering detail on the subject of ORE dicepools: http://asteroid.divnull.com/2008/01/chance-of-reign/
>>
>>53361727
This is true; a 5d roll gives you an excellence chance of a single x2 Set but almost no chance of anything else. It will still work, we just need to up the dice pool; I'd say 7d is a pretty good shot of having x3-x4. In Reign's character gen system you roll 11d for a system like this, which guarantees at least 1 Set and probably a bunch others, which could be good as an avenue for creating tangled social problems.
>>
>>53361794
Sounds good. For 6x and 7x I'd just add duplicates of 5x with values of 2 and 3 respectively. The opportunity is there to do something broader to provide for more specific results, based on the one-roll generators like >>53303083 >>53303089, but I'm not sure it'd benefit from being so prescriptive.
>>
>>53362025
>with values of 2 and 3 respectively
Sorry, meant 3 and 4. Unless you bump 5x down to 1 which seems a bit rough seeing as it's still unlikely (plus the whole 'new person' phenomenon is a thing).
>>
>>53362054
For x6 and x7 you can just lump them together as "x5 or greater"
>>
How do I make a Defends power deal damage without exploding?
>>
File: superman.jpg (38KB, 500x674px) Image search: [Google]
superman.jpg
38KB, 500x674px
so I found someone's mock up for Superman in WT (too big to post on 4chan)

https://pastebin.com/7aKDFThK
>>
>>53362682
Good call.

>>53363072
Attach an Attacks power to it. I'd be more specific but I'm not sure what you're going for.
>>
>>53363072
What do you mean by "exploding?"
>>
File: areaextra.png (34KB, 299x292px) Image search: [Google]
areaextra.png
34KB, 299x292px
>>53363306
Probably this.
>>
>>53363248
Imagine it this way, you go and slap Rogue of the X-Men, whose touch drains you. That kind of automatic damage.
>>53363306
In the book Area is shown as a way to deal damage on defence by exploding when activated.
>>
>>53363333
FYI Area doesn't always indicate an explosion; mechanically it just means you can inflict some random damage to your target or targets.
>>
>>53363412
I don't see what you are trying to express with that. It mechanically works like an explosion and is called an explosion. It can be refluffed like everything, as the game says, but why are you telling me this?
>>
>>53363333
Create an Attacks power with duration/endless/permanent on it as appropriate and then either give it Attached (to the defensive power) or an If/Then (when hit) if there is no defensive power that it works off.

Hit me? Hit you! 10WD (A; 1pt per die; 40pts)
Attacks Extras & Flaws: Endless +3, If/Then (when hit) -1, If/Then (limited to equal damage) -1, Touch Only -2. Capacity: Touch.
Effect: When attacked in melee this power automatically deals up to equal damage to the attacker (capped at 10SK).
>>
>>53363600
Nice, thanks.
>>
>>53363497
Just to emphasize that Area dice have a lot of uses apart from creating bombs. It's a nice way to have a power that throws out some extra damage along with applying some other effect.

But if you really want to have a power that inflicts damage on a block or whatever, >>53363600 should work nicely. It's a pretty clever approach in that it automatically produces a clone of whatever attack set is throne at it. You could also use an Attached power linked to a Defends miracle or to a Block/Dodge skill that inflicts damage as well.
>>
>>53363081
That's some nice work and does a good job showing some of the more ridiculous extents one can go to in Wild Talents. I especially like how they interrupted the willpower allergy as giving Direct Feed to all his powers; I may have to use that.
>>
Rolled 10, 4, 2, 6 = 22 (4d10)

the masked anon rolls to bump
>>
>>53367737
No dice.

>>53355404
For the mini-versions (the equivalent of a scene or random encounter or something) I was thinking something like this:

2:11 in Progress
Background: Darryl Weir has convinced his former cell mate Michael Kirby to take part in an armed robbery with him, utilizing the newly developed powers of Michael's younger cousin Jerry.

[insert picture of business layout]

Darryl Weir (40s, coveralls, black beard, baseball cap)
Stats: As Hardened Criminal, armed with Sawn-Off Shotgun (6D, W+1SK, inc Spray 3)
Actions: Holding the door, extremely aggressive. Will attack authorities on sight.

Michael Kirby (late 20s, brown buzz-cut, checkered shirt & jeans)
Stats: As Hardened Criminal, armed with .38 special revolver (3D, WSK)
Actions: Emptying the melted register and safe, bolts out the back at the first sign of serious trouble (wounded accomplices, opposition power use, etc.).

Jerry Kirby (teenager, brown bowl cut, t-shirt & jeans)
Stats: As Blue-Collar Worker.
Power: Red Blasty Beam (Harm) 8D attack (WSK) w/ PEN 2, loud and bright, interrupted by damage to right arm, 128yd range (Penetration +2, Locational (Right Arm) -1, Obvious -1, Reduced Capacity -1. Capacity: Range).
Actions: Holds the cashier, is terrified & follows his cousin's lead. Uses his power if cornered or confronted.

2 hostages. Cashier, Harold Freeman (held by Jerry) & Melinda White (on floor, inside door).

---

Some kind of prompt or theme would be cool too.
>>
>>53368185
This is nice; I like the idea that you can either confront them head-on or you can try and flip Jerry to take on the others. I figure that we should give Michael maybe a bullet proof vest or something to make him more of a threat; with 3d in revolver he's probably not going to hit anything if he's directly targeted, but the armor gives him a chance to remain a persistent threat for longer, AND it gives more incentive to flip Jerry, since he can shoot right through Mike's vest.
>>
>>53336036

What do you not dig about REIGN? It's easily my favorite of the ORE supplements, but that's because I love weird fantasy.
>>
>>53371030
I'm thinking of making this into a one-shot. It's based a series of sessions that I ran which my group widely regards as the best

I've ever done. It's called DANGER ZONE. This is the basic overview.

>Background
It's definitely set in the modern day, and it's agnostic enough to run in any Wild Talents setting, including the default. The only

stipulations are that a.) the players should be localized to a city and b.) it should be fairly high-tech. The main puzzle piece that

needs to be established is:

a.) CIPHER, a shadowy US government Agency responsible for monitoring and policing parahuman activity, and

b.) Paradigm, the world's largest tech company, which just so happens to have a major presence in the city

These factions could have their names changed, so you could rename them to the NSA and Apple, or adjust them to slot into

an Agency and a Corporation that you've already built into your setting.

>ACT I
The story begins with investigating a series of disappearances in your city, mostly of vagrants and other citizens of low social

profile. If you want to raise the stakes, have a higher profile target that points to a larger kidnapping ring being held. The kidnappers, it turns out, are groups of men in suits that have an oil-slick color to them and wear masks. When the players track them down and confront them, they exhibit superhuman strength and abilities like being able to walk up walls. On being defeated their suits burst into flame, burning their bodies to ash and leaving behind only the mask.

An examination of the Mask reveals that their insides are lined with retractable needles long enough to enter a person's brain, and a serial number that links it to Paradigm, and specific to the very Paradigm manufacturing plant in the city.

(1/2 for this Act)
>>
>>53371520
>Danger Zone ACT I (2/2)
The Players infiltrate the plant and discover a particle accelerator underneath it, as well as more masked men being lead by a figure named Dr. Janus. He's got kidnapped citizens tranquilized and are leading them up into the reaction chamber of the particle accellerator, which activates to create a wormhole, through which oily tentacles emerge and envelop the victims, turning into the suits worn by the men the players fought earlier. The victims are freaking out but lose control of their bodies, but calm instantly when Janus slaps the needle masks on their faces.

The players at this stage can choose to attack the facility or not, but either way their goal is clear: they need to get to the bottom of what's on the other side of the wormhole.
>>
>>53371531
>>53371520
This solves a major plothole in my plans, thanks.
>>
>>53371646
Glad I can be of service!

>Danger Zone ACT II
I'll have to figure out how to make this make sense in the proper One Shot; in my game, the players had already worked with and against CIPHER on multiple occasions. CIPHER, incidentally, stands for "Council for Investigating Parahuman Events and Response. In ACT I, CIPHER has also been investigating the abductions, so during that pat of the one-shot the players may run across their agents while tracking down the kidnappers. In ACT II, the players need to accomplish two things. First they need to acquire the endpoint coordinates for the wormhole that was generated at the Paradigm particle accelerator; this can be acquired at the facility itself, or from other sources that I'll work out.

Second, they must travel to a CIPHER facility in the middle of the Texas desert called Red Basin. Red Basin is the site of an experimental piece of government hardware-- an Einstein-Rosen Bridge Generator, which the players can commandeer and use to create a wormhole set to Paradigm's coordinates. Alternately, if they have a good relationship with CIPHER they can approach this on the level and volunteer to use the bridge as the forward scouts for CIPHER. In my game the players were very much anti-CIPHER and did this by force. What's discovered when the wormhole is created is that the coordinates on the other side are locked into something stationed in orbit past the dark side of the moon: a massive asteroid.
>>
>Danger Zone ACT III
The asteroid is actually a vast hollow space comprised of three areas. When the players enter they're in a sort of forest park, which they must navigate to reach the next area. In the forest they encounter a number of weird alien phenemena including an oily black lake where some people are sunbathing while others are held in cages, screaming or under sedation. They witness a masked person approach the edge of a pier, remove his mask, and then start screaming as the oily suit he's wearing slides from his body and enters the pond. He tries to flee but is captured and sedated by other guys in suits.

The forest leads to a small town mostly occupied by masked people as well as a paramilitary security force wearing Paradigm gear. They're protecting the third part, which is a giant pyramid, where Paradigm has set itself up to research the technology found in the asteroid. Here the players can get a full understanding of what's happening: the asteroid was discovered beyond Jupiter on an impact course towards Earth a decade ago, and the US government sent a secret team to blow it into a stable orbit, which suceeded. When they discovered that it contained seemingly abandoned alien tech, they financed Paradigm, then an ambitious start-up company, to research it. But soon after all contact was lost and the asteroid disppeared from orbit under unknown circumstances. The reason, of course, is that Paradigm discovered that the alien tech_wasn't_ abandoned, and that the vast oily pond was infact a dormant alien intelligence. Paradigm struck a deal that propelled them to technological heights they are now, but the alien intelligence has started to cash in and demand that Paradigm supply it with human hosts that it can control.

(1/2)
>>
>>53373066
(Danger Zone ACT III 2/2)
From here, the act can unfold a variety of ways. The players can try to take on Paradigm and Dr. Janus, the lead researcher and go-between for the aliens, themselves; or they can call in CIPHER for back-up, or CIPHER will attack on their own after re-establishing the wormhole link to the asteroid. In the latter cases, the interior space turns into a warzone, and eventually the players will have to make their escape through another wormhole or through the escape pods as the asteroid is destroyed by CIPHER nukes or its own reactor going critical.
>>
This is one of the Archetypes for use in Danger Zone: the Bonded.

Archetype: Bonded (0)
>Source: Extraterrestrial (0)
>Permission: Power Theme [Alien Ooze] (5)
>Intrinsics: Vulnerable (-8), Mandatory Power [Neural Node Casing]
Description: A Bonded human's body has been taken over by one of the extraterrestrial lifeforms discovered by Paradigm within JL2007-115WC. Most Hosts are unwilling, but there's little they can do when enveloped by the ichorous, semi-liquid bodies of the "operators" as they're called. A operator has full control over its hosts muscles and nerves, but not its mind; for that, neural probes must be installed into the brain to induce a sedate condition over which the operator has complete authority. In the case of willing hosts, the neural probe procedure is unneeded. Although the operator's physical form appears to be a uniform, oily black mass capable of forming rudimentary shapes, they are infact complex lifeforms. The core of their being is a centralized neural node located somewhere in its volume, damage to which can disrupt the operator's control over its host's body. These four Wound Boxes are positioned at Location 9, and are almost always protected by a casing of hardened alien ichor, though an operator caught unaware may have its core damaged before it can raise its internal defenses. When controlling a human, an operator will usually attempt to hide this node, requiring a Scrutiny check at a difficulty of 5 to isolate it for direct attack (without this check, any hits to the 9 location count as 8s).
>>
>>53374093
And here's the details for their Mandatory Power

NEURAL NODE CASING (5 pts)
>Defense Extras and Flaws [Armored Defense-2, Endless+3, Interference+3, if/then-1 (only Location 9)] Capacity: Self
EFFECT: The soft, nougaty center of an operator's physiology is a tight cluster of neural activity, its nucleus as you will. Damage to this location can weaken and even kill an operator without causing any negative effects to its host. As a result, operators have an instinctual ability to protect this location from damage with a dense layer of alien ichor giving them the equivalent of Hard Armor to their 9 Location. Most individuals Bonded to an operator have 2hd in this ability, equating to HAR2, as the operator must divert more of its focus into maintaining control of the subject. A Bonded human who willingly accepts symbiosis may have 3hd in their Neural Node Casing, giving them HAR3.
>>
>>53371030
Can you share your experiences with Reign? I barely know of anyone who's played it.
>>
>>53343679
I'm putting together another potential 300 pt character for you, if you're still looking for some.

Also, any details you can post about the design behind your campaign?
>>
>>53375731
Right now, they were just accepted in the school, then survived a mass murderer who collapsed a building in Las Vegas.

Said murderer is not happy about this, but they where the only 4 survivors, so revenge soon.

As they are freshmen, I needed some classmates, but higher point values for teachers and villians.
>>
>>53375731
>details you can post about the design behind your campaign
>>53376351
Well, it seems I'm retarded.
Villainous organisations have begun to sprout all over the world, and the main problem they cause is their willingness to ally whenever they aren't trying to one up each other.
Also, mutants breaking the known rules of superpowers have been appearing, and no one knows how or what are they made of or how, but many a villain has been trying their hand at this.

Power augmenting and suppressing drugs have also sprouted over night, allowing regular robbers to stop or kill known heroes, and allowing street gangers to become powerhouses.

In the Las Vegas underground, Dr. Hun, a self proclaimed doctor has had a moderate success in welding human genetic material in human subjects and rewiring their brains to be able to hold their powers, leaving a mindlessly obedient creature with a mishmash of miracles and hyperstuff. He plans on hiring some powerful villains to strike at the PC's school to draw blood, as a statement, a sales pitch for his beasts and to collect powerfull genetic material.
>>
>>53376351
Gretchen Roth

STATS (75 pts)
Body 2d Coordination 2d
Sense 3d Mind 3d
Charm 3d Command 2d
BASE WILL 10

SKILLS

POWERS (144 pts)

RATTLE AND HUM (16 pts per die) 5d+1wd (144 pts)
> Useful Extras and Flaws [Variable Effect+4, if/then-1(only for controlling sound)] Capacity: Range
> Useful Extras and Flaws [Radius+6, Duration+2, Self-Only-3] Capacity: Self
> Attacks+1 Extras and Flaws [Non-Physical+2, Limited Damage (Shock)-1] Capacity: Range
EFFECT: Gretchen's power gives her control over soundwaves. First and foremost, she's able to create sounds at will within a range of 160 yards. Simple sounds, such as a knock at the door or footsteps, can be simulated with any Set. Complex sounds like specific objects falling to the ground, animal noises or non-specific human voices have a difficulty of 5. Creating specific human voices is a difficulty of 7; failing to meet a Difficulty results in sounds that are distorted and easily identified as being artificial or somehow incorrect.

Gretchen can also emit an ultrasonic tone that interferes with the inner ear functions of other humans within a 40 yard radius of her body. The result is that anyone within this radius, except for Gretchen herself, loses her ability to perceive sound. This effect lasts for Width in Rounds (or Width x 10 seconds, outside of combat), and anyone affected by it loses Width in dice from any Perception checks they make. Moreover, the effect on the inner ear means that anyone caught by the effect must make an Endurance check or be paralyzed by nausea on their next turn.

As a final effect, Gretchen can launch focused soundwaves within a distance of 160 yards. These waves ignore armor and most physical defenses and inflict Width+1 Shock on their targets

(this leaves 81 points to work with for Skills and Archetypes)
>>
>>53376739
Sorry, Base Will on her should be 5. I used a different character as a template and forgot to change that.
>>
File: americanthumb.gif (425KB, 464x254px) Image search: [Google]
americanthumb.gif
425KB, 464x254px
>>53337261
>oh my god can you even imagine the cognitive dissonance we'd suffer if we used meters instead of yards knowing -- KNOWING! -- that we'd be off by CENTIMETERS in reality?
Okay.
>>
>>53376739
>>53376768
One of the characters attacks and defends by high powered singing.

I love it.
>>
>>53376631
I'm digging this on some real levels. Can you share who your players' characters are?

Setting it in Vegas is an awesome concept.
>>
>>53376836
I can see how paying attention to range would matter but I've never ever come across a situation in three years of playing WT where it's actually mattered that much. 99% of the time the only range that matters to my group is "is he close enough to punch?"
>>
File: euro burger.png (228KB, 517x382px) Image search: [Google]
euro burger.png
228KB, 517x382px
>>53337310
WFRP uses yards and they're europoors too
>>
>>53376945
That was my point, but sarcastic.

The switch from yards to meters is perhaps the most painless switch in the Imperial-Metric divide because functionally the difference is basically irrelevant.

300 meters is 328 yards. That's 84 feet of differential, i.e. pretty much irrelevant. If your weapons work at 300 yards, the game doesn't break in any fundamental (or even physics-related) way over the added distance.

Just...get on with your life and recognize that the vast majority of English-language RPGs are going to use Imperial standards.
>>
>>53377092
Well yeah, and I was trying to add to that saying that specific ranges as a concept aren't especially important in WT because most encounters are Theater of the Mind anyway.
>>
>>53377022

> American education.

Where do you think Imperial measurements come from?
>>
>>53377092
>>53377116
Yeah. Also, sorry, for the gratification of the Imperially-impaired, that's 2550cm of difference.

I think at 300 meters, 25 meters of wibble-wobble is perfectly timey-wimey.
>>
>>53377158
>he doesn't count Britain as a part of Europe
>>
I've updated the Miracle Flea Market so it now includes the following Powers:

0001- Reprogram (UU, 3 Pts)
0002- Terrifying Presence (U, 10 pts)
0003- Control Weather (ADU, 15 pts)
0004- Quick Study (Hyperskill, 3 pts)
0005- Phantom of the Opera (ADU, 11 pts)
0006- Yondu's Whistling Arrow (A, 10 pts)
0007- Rattle and Hum (UUA, 16 pts)
0008- Hit Me? Hit You! (A, 1 pt)
0009- Fabricator Suit (ADU, 6 pts)
0010- Tokugawa Heavy Industries Powered Exoskeleton (DDU, 13 pts, +Hyperstats/Skills)
0011- Dust in the Wind (ADUUU, 14 pts)

>https://pastebin.com/32yNPtax
>>
>>53376874
Jack "Slugger" Robinson, a guy with a power that can be reduced to "can add 6wd to block or weapon skill (bat)" as long as he is holding a bat. He is a bit obsessed about baseball, along with a stupidly high resolve. On the fight with the murderer he managed to hold his ground by smashing furniture legs against him.

Jason Dean "The Phantom of the Opera" Clamari, a theatrical asshole who is sure of his own superiority and his charm (5d+1hyper), he si also a bit of a martial artist and eerily flexible young man. He sings with 8HD for great damage, defence and shock regen, but any contact with his chest or head stops him because he has rubber ribs after an accident destroyed his natural ones and almost killed him and needs a round to wind up his singing. Dresses like a stage magician for apparent reason.

Jack "Sapper" Bolt, a chill mixture of watered down southern stereotypes. Has super coordination and smarts, designs gadgets along his sister and between the both of them they built a shitty grav-car. He wields a revolver and a homemade 20mm caliber called the FIREHALL, which packs a stupidly strong punch, it deals killing damage to the arm holding it and is Slow, but can send anything it hits flying about 16 yards. He is here only to get a certification to use his stuff in public, protect his sister and blow stuff into pieces.The FIREHALL (Full Impact REcoil Handheld ArtiLlery Launcher) has the right stats to punch through tanks, it seems.

Veronica "Eveready" Bolt, is as smart as her brother but a little less agile. She jacks-in her Fabricator Suit, that allows her to make almost anything that she can think of (and understands) at the cost of shock damage to her head. She genuinely wants to help people. The Fabricator Suit adds to her height leaving her at 7ft, protects her as extra wound boxes and works via a nanoforge embedded in the suit wired to her brain. [Cont.]
>>
>>53376874
>>53377530
>[No apparent reason]*

The suit looks like a full white ADVENT Shielbearer armor, with a shiny cyan core in the chest and similar looking veins coursing through the arms and legs, from which she pulls her the goo she shapes her gadgets form. The gadgets are composed of a versatile nanobot soup invented by her held together by power cores that don't usually last. She has to replenish both at a workshop.

So, what do you think?
>>
File: the batter.jpg (124KB, 453x750px) Image search: [Google]
the batter.jpg
124KB, 453x750px
>>53377530
>Jack "Slugger" Robinson, a guy with a power that can be reduced to "can add 6wd to block or weapon skill (bat)" as long as he is holding a bat. He is a bit obsessed about baseball, along with a stupidly high resolve. On the fight with the murderer he managed to hold his ground by smashing furniture legs against him.

PURIFICATION IN PROGRESS
>>
>>53377634
They look great; if I get a chance later tonight before my game I'll post more direct notes about them but it seems like a real slick group. Did they make their powers themselves, or did you set them up for them?
>>
>>53377935
They picked, I helped build.
>>
File: the_batter.jpg (44KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
the_batter.jpg
44KB, 480x480px
>>53377647
>that filename.
This is the pic he sent me.
>>
>>53377530
>Jack "Slugger" Robinson
So has has having 6wd in a very specific ability played out so far? I've never done anything with a character with that many wiggle dice before so I'm interested in how it's been handled. Are there any restrictions beyond "must have bat"?

>Jason Dead "The Phantom of the Opera" Clamari
How exactly does "rubber ribs" work? Are they literally rubber or does he have like permanent damage to his torso?

>Jack "Sapper" Bolt
Nice use of the Backfires flaw with the FIREHALL. I'm interested in what your player's proposal for this character was before you built him.

>Veronica "Eveready" Bolt
What's the most interesting thing this character's fabricated so far?

Also two questions for the group as a whole:

1. What are their Passions and Loyalties?
2. In your setting, where do powers come from?
>>
So question: I'm actually pretty serious about writing up Danger Zone as a publishable one-shot module, but I've never done anything like that before (and in-fact have never really run a published module in any system). What advice would you give in terms of how to approach it and what do I need to do to make it work?
>>
>>53379980
>So has has having 6wd in a very specific ability played out so far? I've never done anything with a character with that many wiggle dice before so I'm interested in how it's been handled. Are there any restrictions beyond "must have bat"?

No further restrictions, but he has batted debris to throw stuff. He aims his hits, and chews through bats, thanks to the obvious flaw making everyone realise that they can break the bat a few rounds in.

>How exactly does "rubber ribs" work? Are they literally rubber or does he have like permanent damage to his torso?

Literally rubber. His powers have the locational flaw making him empty his lungs at the weakest hit on his chest and head, .

>Nice use of the Backfires flaw with the FIREHALL.

Thanks.

>I'm interested in what your player's proposal for this character was before you built him.

"I want a gun that can shoot elemental stuff, like Starlord's!"
"Oka..."
"Wait... Penetration, High capacity... New Idea. FLAK CANNON.
"... Sure, why not."

>What's the most interesting thing this character's fabricated so far?

Depending on your definition of interesting, a power loader claw to throw someone away, a titanium bat that ran on batteries or 4 pairs of fuck-the-third-law-of-motion shoes.

>1. What are their Passions and Loyalties?

a) Baseball, Showmanship, Colateral Damage, Helping people in need.
b) His friends and family, The School, His sister, Her brother.

>2. In your setting, where do powers come from?

All are born with something, but some can't even use it, for their brains don't recognise it, and others are just things like "Can shape his nails at will".

Then there are the Freaks, but those aren't natural.
>>
So how are your players finding the game and the system? Are they enjoying it compared to other systems they've worked with?
>>
Thread question for the overnight crew before I hit the hay: tell us about your campaign's villains. Not necessarily even your BBEG; even your minor recurring nuisances.
>>
any Godlike scans besides the core rule book?
>>
New to Wild Talents and I had a character concept I am having some trouble fulfilling. Basically the character has some magically infected blood from some experiments, and is able to manipulate and control blood. I was thinking stuff like crystallizing blood to form weapons, turning it acidic to use as a projectile, or using it to travel like Spiderman webs. As an aside, I don't really intend for the power to be too squicky so other than saying it's more magic than blood I was thinking of fluffing that the color is different as well. Anyway, since the character has difficulty controlling volume, she doesn't extract blood from others and instead has a suit that extracts small amounts of her own blood to fuel her powers. I imagine that the suit is optimized to the point that it's not immediately harmful, but after using it enough times it could get either physically dangerous from blood loss and/or she would lose her powers (since her power comes from her blood, losing enough blood would diminish her powers).

So yeah I was building the character and thought I was getting the system until I got to the powers section, and I'm pretty lost at this point. Any kind of direction would help a lot.
>>
>>53385475
maybe this will help a bit

https://pastebin.com/F4EvqhHN <-- Anon walks a new Wild Talents GM through power creation
from the OP
>>
>>53326726
I played it once, and you are right it was actually pretty fun.

Whole party was basically playing the crew of a privateer vessel in the employ of one the nations in world.

I played a pacific-islander type native who was a skilled hunter and cannibal, going on a pilgrimage with the trade ship to become a better chieftain.

Ended up being better as an interrogation tool and eavesdropper for the party (since foppish nobles didn't think I could speak their language, they tended to have loose lips.)
>>
>>53383221
I had an antagonist who developed the ability to eat other people's memories (I think I posted their stats in one of the previous threads). It took them a while to get a handle on it and because their brain was no more built to accommodate the influx than anyone else's it fucked them up pretty badly.

The biggest issue in game was that they surfed a bunch of stolen memories into finding an expert on the subject who happened to be tied to some pretty shady people, then scarfed down half their mind leaving them semi-catatonic. From there it was a four-way shit fight between organisations, each thinking that one or more of the others were responsible based on incomplete information. This culminated in the PCs getting involved and eventually getting to the bottom of things.
>>
>>53385475
Use the Psychic Artifacts power as a base.

If it's dependent on the suit add relevant Focus-based flaws. Then add Backfires as a flaw and have them spend Willpower to mitigate the damage (or not spend it and take the damage to represent it taxing their system).

If the suit is a separate thing stat it as a Willpower Battery with the relevant focus flaws. Add an additional power which lets them top it up sans spending Willpower with the Backfire flaw. Give the Psychic Artifacts power a Willpower expenditure flaw (Direct Feed or Willpower Cost are good candidates) an If/Then flaw that restricts it to feeding from the suit.
>>
>>53385876
Thanks, this makes sense to me. Not quite as complicated as I thought either
>>
Bumping so I can post something a little later this morning.
>>
>>53385572
Ha that's awesome. My favorite thing about Reign is that since the setting is so atypical for fantasy (no non-human races, language is a big deal, technology is basically early iron-age) it encourages weird characters like that. I feel like that kind of character arc isn't likely to happen in, like, DnD.
>>
>>53383221
The character that I most enjoy throwing at my players because they hate him so much is a guy named Steve "The Fly" Buzzini, a mutant with a fly's head with hypercoordiantion, the ability to walk on walls and an acid spray. He's mostly a petty crook and drug dealer, and was actually the target of our very first Wild Talents session. Each time he appears he's more and more jacked up from the previous fight: in his second appearance his giant, left fly-eye had a big X of scar tissue from a knife wound, and when he showed up for the third time (trying to steal a cache of hard-drives from a megacorporation they'd brought down for various villainous acts), his left arm had been so badly damaged from the previous fight that it had basically gone all Jeff Goldblum and mutated into an actual fly appendage, which was great for him since it gave him another attack.

That third time introduced his brother, Nick "The Wasp" Buzzini, who turned out to be much more dangerous since he could legit fly around and had huge poison stingers in his hands. One of my players made a jab at how ugly their mom must have been which prompted the line "MARY. BUZZINI. WAS A SAINT!" and started a big fight.

I should bring these guys back again.
>>
>>53385752
I don't remember this power being posted in the last thread; if you have it on hand I'd love to see how it's built.
>>
>>53383221
Metachaos, the energy draining fucker.
Corpseless murder, witness elimination and shorting your lights. He is also very charming, which is promptly made useless because of the horrifying effects of his power on the living.
>>
>>53347548

ORE Mech guy, I'm compiling a pastebin archive for the next OP and I want to include some stuff about the work you're doing. Can you write something up either here or in a pastebin that I can add to the archive?
>>
Here's what I've got the archive so far. Let me know if I'm missing anything useful or important.

>https://pastebin.com/WiT4BhFM
>>
>>53390678
>He is also very charming, which is promptly made useless because of the horrifying effects of his power on the living.
Go on...
>>
>>53391527
He has two states, Dry and Charged.
Dry, he is a handsome /fit/ man with pale skin.
Charged, his skin is purplish black and he is nigh-indestructible, still handsome, but with the eerie contrast of his toothy grin making him a bit creepy.

He is a master liar and tends to smooth talk his way around most obstacles and problems between jobs.

He drains people and objects from their energy, with objects just drying up of power, but people wither and weaken from his touch, and in the point of contact soft and hard tissues crack and turn into a gray dust that smells faintly of charred meat, he can hold on to fully disintegrate someone, layer by layer.

Slugger has a scar on his forehead thanks to that.

He tried to de-escalate the situation after doing that to Slugger and draining Eveready's tools dry, but the stacked "Horrifying" made it useless. He also played dead twice in an encounter.
>>
There any oneoff modules out there for godlike?
>>
>>53391826
A bunch actually:

Night of the Pegasus
>http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=91024&affiliate_id=48458

Glazier
>http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=91021&affiliate_id=48458

The Invasion of Jericho Bay
>http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=90059&filters=0_0_0_0&manufacturers_id=521&affiliate_id=48458

For King and Country
>http://www.rpgnow.com/product/91016/GODLIKE%3A-For-King-and-Country?affiliate_id=48458

Operation Rascal
>http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=521&products_id=80749&filters=0_0_0_0&manufacturers_id=521&affiliate_id=48458

A Stutzepunkte Doubled
>http://www.rpgnow.com/product/91012/GODLIKE-A-Stutzepunkte-Doubled?src=also_purchased&filters=0_0_0_0&manufacturers_id=521

Saipan- a full on mini-campaign
>http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=521&products_id=23799&it=1&filters=0_0_0_0&manufacturers_id=521&affiliate_id=48458
>>
>>53392071
Danke schön
>>
>>53392134
I actually just added those to the Pastebin Archive, so thanks for asking in the first place as it got me to expand our information
>>
>>53390831
What sort of information do you need? Just the gist of it?
>>
>>53392611
Yeah, pretty much. The mech stats, the player skills, how they interact, how you add modules to your mech, etc. Obviously it's a WIP but I want to keep what's been done on-hand.
>>
>>53392698
https://pastebin.com/JQvPAgGs is what I currently have going. I'll be combing through Wild Talents and MaOCT to see what extras/flaws actually apply to mechanical equipment and putting them together.
>>
>>53383221
Dwayne "Solomon" Muldoon: Boatload of dice in Stealth and 2 Hard Dice that he can apply to any Mind-related skill (as long as he has some time to prepare). A hardworking salt of the earth type man who basically works as a brainiac for hire.

Albert Westler: Ex-Nazi roboticist brought to the States during Operation Paperclip. Uploaded his consciousness into a large swarm of nano machines and works as the chief engineer of the bad guy group our team is facing. Tends to like to "test" his victims before trying to kill them.
>>
>>53393139
Thanks, I added this to the archive.
>>
>>53388568
Definitely, that and since magic is much more rare, when it shows up it actually kind of means something rather than "oh look, another Druid"

The only problem we really had was that there isn't really great rules for ship-on-ship combat, so when we got into that, it was lot of making shit up on the fly, which meant a lot of characters got way laid doing nothing.
>>
>>53393685
Did you check out the supplements? The Second Year of Our Reign has rules for boat hit locations. It's designed for battling storms but could I guess work for naval engagements to, though Reign is a pre-gunpowered society so most ship damage would be from magic or ramming I guess.

>http://gregstolze.com/reign/downloads/2YoORinterior.pdf
>>
How's progress on that Persona conversion?
>>
>>53393866
That actually reminds me of something I wanted to poll the thread about:

In Monsters and Other Childish Things, damage taken from attacks takes the form of reduced dice pools; so that if your Persona takes 2 Shock to its "Gungnir, Odin's Mighty Spear 8d" location, that gets knocked down to 6d.

Since combat in Persona is coming from a much more traditional RPG background, would it be beneficial to replace dice damage with more conventional Wild Talents/Godlike wound boxes?

My thought would be Yes, but it makes me wonder if it won't interfere with a Monster's desire to consume Relationships to boost its dice pools (if you lose a bunch of die in your important pools, your Monster will want to eat that relationship to restore its power).
>>
>>53393776
Ah shit, well that would have been useful to have a couple of years ago.

Thanks for giving me that though! I'll hold onto it in case I want to resurrect that campaign.
>>
>>53394278
Yeah the supplements have some good stuff in them including more Disciplines and Martial Paths (like Rolloneepoo, the Ob-Lob art of kicking people in the balls when you're on a ship).
>>
So since we're very near the bump limit for this thread, a question: what should we do the for the next thread? Is there a specific theme we should go with? This one worked great for sharing stated up characters and discussing campaigns so there will still be plenty of that, but what else can we feature? Are there any adjustments I should make for the OP? Any suggestions on pictures (I have a transparent Wild Talents logo I can slap onto anything)?
>>
>>53394564
The persona thing's been going pretty strong, so maybe make it about that.
>>
>>53394564

>>53305129
>>
Quick question, Hyper----- always add dice + extras, right?
>>
>>53394645
Ha ha yeah already fixed that in my text file.

>>53394643
What I'll do then is try and grab (or find) a transparent version of the Monsters and Other Childish Things logo to use for that.
>>
>>53394705
Hyperskills and Stats EITHER add dice OR extras.

So if you have 3d in Body and 4d in Brawling, and you have 2d in Hyperbrawling with Penetration +2, you have a choice.

You can roll Body + Brawling + Hyperbrawling for a total of 9d, but you don't get Penetration, OR you can roll Body + Hyperbrawling for 5d, put your attack gains Penetration+2.
>>
Might want to put together a trove for the next thread too, if anyone's got a source on that.
>>
>>53394781
I'll quickly take this dice and pass them to the skill, leaving the hyperskill with 1d.
>>
>>53394795
Yes, please link any advice from this thread that I can add to the Wild Talents Advice pastebin for next time.

Also: what do we think about this thread being biweekly, weekly or perpetual? I feel like maybe it's got enough traction for a weekly thread, so my vote would be to let it go to archives for a few days and rise from the ashes next Tuesday. Thoughts?

Regardless I'll post the new OP at the end of this thread before it gets archived so if anyone else wants to start up a new thread after this one they're welcome to.
>>
>>53394911
I'd like it to be perpetual, one thread lasts for a week anyway.
>>
>>53394937
Seconding this.
>>
New OP:

/ore/ Wild Talents and One Roll Engine General

This is a thread for discussing Wild Talents, Monsters and Other Childish Things, Reign and any other games built on Greg Stolze's One Roll Engine.

>***The System
Roll some d10s. Find matches. The number of matching dice is your Width. The number ON the dice is your Height. So a Set of [5,5,5] has a Width of 3 and a Height of 5, written as 3x5. That's it. Width and Height tell you a lot about your action, such as how fast it was, how strong it was, how precise it was, etc. Everything in the system is built around this fast, simple mechanic.

>***The Games

>Nemesis
A game about cosmic horror using the Madness system invented and popularized by Unknown Armies. It's available for free on ArcDream's website here: http://www.arcdream.com/pdf/Nemesis.pdf

>Godlike
Superhero roleplaying during World War II. Fight supersonic Nazis and invisible French knife maniacs in a brutal setting where you're equally likely to be killed by a mortar blast as from a supervillain.

>Wild Talents
The sequel to Godlike, blowing the doors of the system to let you create any superpower you can imagine. /tg's favorite ORE game.

>Monsters and Other Childish Things
You're a kid with an imaginary monster friend who's real, and you have adventures. Converts nicely to Jojo and Persona.

>Reign
High fantasy roleplaying in a crazy world that would need to have an entire post just about it.

>A Dirty World
Noir at its best. Relentlessly focused on character growth and psychology. A much lighter system than the others.

>Better Angels
You're a supervillain whose power comes from a contract with a demon. Try not to get dragged to hell.

>***Pastebin Archive
https://pastebin.com/WiT4BhFM
---A compendium of tips, advice, homebrews and other content assembled by /tg from /ore Generals past

>***This Thread
---insert new thread topics here---
>>
File: Monsters-title-logo.jpg (139KB, 1796x454px) Image search: [Google]
Monsters-title-logo.jpg
139KB, 1796x454px
If someone wants to cook up a new thread with a Persona/MaOCT pic, here's the game's logo that we'd want to add. I can maybe put this together later but probably won't be able to make a new thread until tomorrow at the earliest.

Oh and feel free to make whatever changes to the OP you want if you're kicking off the thread.
>>
Honestly I thought this would be dead by now.
Thread posts: 311
Thread images: 28

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.