[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

War of the Worlds/All Quiet on the Martian Front settings

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

So I recently stumbled across All Quiet on the Martian Front and it inspired me to go read through War of the Worlds again. Are there any other game systems that focus on an alien invasion of old-time pasts, or at least War of the Worlds-style settings? Has there been any in-depth lore for All Quiet on the Martian front?

Also, post art or worldbuilding.
>>
>>53278565
Postin some top-tier material, The Great Martian War.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucu_N2uq8XA

Premise is: What if H.G. Wells' Martians invaded in 1913 and sparked World War I?
>>
>>53281239
I love this concept! The invasion occurs just a couple of decades after the canonical invasion and technology has moved on to the point that the humans can make a good fight of it (and even win in the film you posted).

Okay, question: What's the latest the Marians could have invaded (assuming they have the same level of tech as in the original War of The Worlds) and still had a good chance of winning?

How would they hold up against a united Earth military effort today / how would we hold up against the Martians?
>>
>>53281239

I do love well done alt-history documentaries like that. I wish there were more of them.
>>
>>53281806

Well, in terms of defence the heat rays would likely destroy almost anything in a few moments, but they're direct fire weapons with a limited range. Unless they also adapted to using them as point defence, long range missile attacks would wipe out the fighting machines with ease.

The black smoke is a little trickier, but after some early losses we'd just roll out NBC protections and could probably deal with it.
>>
>>53281806

Assuming the Martians have the same tech they could land and fight cavemen and we would win. They died because they didn't understand and filter out bacteria and viruses that could kill them.

So all humans would ever need to do is be far enough apart to wait them out.
>>
>>53281239
I vaguely recall a Alternate History web serial based on something like this... though, it was with bugs.
>>
>>53286239
Never mind, got it. Swarm on the Somme.

Anyone reckon if Rocket Age would work well with this?
>>
2 books have been written.

The first was an official tie in.

The author just kept rolling when the company went bust and sold. its going to go off in its own way. 3rd book is on its way.

Linky
https://www.amazon.com.au/d/ebook/Great-Martian-War-Invasion-Scott-Washburn/B01BKZRG64/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1495019707&sr=8-1&keywords=great+martian+war
>>
>>53278565
If you haven't yet, check out War of the Worlds: Global Dispatches
>>
File: Scarlet01.jpg (169KB, 630x965px) Image search: [Google]
Scarlet01.jpg
169KB, 630x965px
The comic Scarlet Traces follows what happens after the events of War of the Worlds and the British Govt. starts to use Martian technology to prepare for a human invasion of Mars. The most recent part of the story is in 2000AD right now, in fact.
>>
>>53286778
There's more? I thought there was just the original and The Great Game.
>>
>>53286778
>>53289568
Ah, I think I've heard of this one. This is the one where they use the heat rays for everything, like central heating, right?
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.