[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

MtG $$$$$$ COMPETITIVE $$$$$$ MODERN GENERAL

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 319
Thread images: 38

File: mox-opal.jpg (32KB, 575x190px) Image search: [Google]
mox-opal.jpg
32KB, 575x190px
Magic: The Gathering Modern General (Competitive Discussion)

This thread is for the competitive discussion of the modern format. Kitchen table discussion is not welcome, but they don't read OPs anyway. For reference the average deck will run you anywhere from $400-$2000.

>Playing?
>Brewing?
>Metagame thoughts?
>Bans/Unbans?

Decklists:
>https://www.mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern#paper
>http://mtgtop8.com/format?f=MO

Primers:
>http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/modern

Weekly Modern Metagame:
>https://www.mainphasemtg.net/modern-tier-list/2017/5/8/modern-tiered-list-weekly-update-and-analysis-for-5817
>>
File: Image.png (138KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
Image.png
138KB, 223x311px
FIRST FOR LEGALIZE WORM
>>
>>53244524
>Playing?
Mill
>Brewing?
Mill
>Metagame thoughts?
It's okay, but mill could use some buffs
>Bans/Unbans?
Ban Eldrazi that shuffle graveyards back in
>>
File: 1481740700207.jpg (28KB, 191x204px) Image search: [Google]
1481740700207.jpg
28KB, 191x204px
>had my full deck IRL
>spent an hour or so tinkering around, making minimal changes
>grab all the cards I want and go to check out
>$128
What the fuck, fucking slay me.
>>
File: Image.jpg (34KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Image.jpg
34KB, 223x310px
WHERE THE FUCK ARE THE DINOSAURS?
WHY IS THIS THE ONLY ONE? fuck off with those 3 or 4 miscellaneous raptors scattered throughout a bunch of colors

When are they gonna be great again, bros?
>>
File: literally_you_rn_fam.jpg (74KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
literally_you_rn_fam.jpg
74KB, 312x445px
>>53245014
>When are they gonna be great again, bros?
Never
>>
File: 1480909417626.jpg (24KB, 224x216px) Image search: [Google]
1480909417626.jpg
24KB, 224x216px
>>53245151
>>
>>53244524
Dang, replied to dragonbro from early in the previous thread thinking it was this one.

In case he sees it.

>>53211297
If you want to run a Dragon tribal deck you should be building it with Thunderbeak Regent. It is a cheaper body than most dragons which gives you some early game presence plus the damage return when they remove it puts them closer to death for your follow up dragons. Stormbreath Dragon being the generally accepted #1 choice for 5 mana Dragons (Thundermaw is #2).

Avaricious dragon synergies with itself quite well and is another cheaper dragon. Downside is pretty bad if you can't reliably cast all your spells unfortunately.

I could potentially see Dragon Broodmother working in the right deck but Atarka, World Render, Balefire Dragon, Dragonmaster Outcast and Utvara Hellkite are all way too slow. Take them out and put in sweepers like Anger of the Gods or pyroclasm to keep your opponent under control while you get your dragons out. Removal also 100% required with such a slow game plan. Either splash black or get some Roast and Bolts going.
>>
File: 1440545175041.jpg (20KB, 543x405px) Image search: [Google]
1440545175041.jpg
20KB, 543x405px
>>53245180
Here's what I have right now. Is it utter dogshit or what?

4 Birds of Paradise
4 Elvish Mystic
3 Elvish Piper
3 Scourge of Valkas
3 Savage Ventmaw
3 Dragon Broodmother
2 Balefire Dragon
2 Utvara Hellkite
4 Harmonize
3 Harrow
3 Dragon Tempest
4 Lightning Greaves
6 Mountain
8 Forest
4 Rootbound Crag
4 Wooded Foothills
>>
>>53244524
>Playing?
Skred, Eternal Scourge is best girl.

>>Brewing?
I'm currently experimenting with a walker heavy version of Skred to see how it goes. I've gone with Sarkhan and Karn to back up Chandra and Koth. I'm considering going balls deep and running some Coldsteel heart as extra mana rocks to get me all the way to Ugin.

>>Metagame thoughts?
I hate coming up against affinity with a burning passion. All of my match losses in the past month have been to affinity. I feel like it should be one of my stronger match-ups but I always end up failing my math or making a stupid error. I didn't build skred so that I would need to think about my plays!

>>Bans/Unbans?
Ban Darksteel citadel!

I kid. I think the meta is in a pretty good spot right now. Anyone asking for bans is probably just salty about some loss they had.
>>
>>53245217
Yeah pretty much complete dogshit.

You are going to spend the first 5 turns ramping your mana and then either your opponent is just going to Path/Terminate/Murderous Cut/Counter the first dragon you try to land, or they just walk over your non-existant defenses and kill you before that happens. I get that the plan is to stick lightning greaves on the dragon but that is super unreliable without more card selection than many combo decks run, and even in the best scenario of a hasty shrouded Utvata Hellkite on turn 5 you will still probably lost the game.

Some of your card choices are so bad that I don't even know where to start in explaining to you why they are bad..
>>
>>53245217

Continuing from >>53245298 If you truly wish to walk the path of Dragons in modern and have a chance of winning you should start by reading http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/modern/developing-competitive-modern/718932-skred-red and building the dragon-heavy version of that deck.

Most of the cards are really cheap with the exception of Blood Moon and Snow-covered mountains which are still cheap by modern standards.
>>
>>53245298
The greaves are 99% for Elvish Piper and Ventmaw to a lesser extent. Turn 1 bird/mystic, turn 2 greaves, turn 3 piper+any dragon?

But you gotta give me at least one or two things that must go or that I'm doing wrong. Pls buddy.
>>
>>53245346
Yeah I do really wanna use dragons. It's no fun winning with the good shit everyone else uses. I'm just trying to make the cards I wanna use as close as possible to being good. But thanks I'll give it a read (hopefully it's not one of the articles I've already read).
>>
>>53245361
Bare minimum. Get yourself some Anger of the Gods, Roast and Lighting Bolt. Take out the ramp cards that die to removal and just durdle until you can start jamming your dragons.

From there start swapping the high mana cost dragons for faster ones.
>>
>>53245386
I'll give it a shot, thanks lad.
>>
>competitive discussion
>COMPETITIVE
>dinosaurs
>dragon deck
You people really do need to start reading the ops
>>
>>53245474
people who only use the good shit rather than what the want are fags, unless you simply want to win, which is also gay

I guess if you just like Magic and don't care what cards you're using it might make sense to just use what's good without being a fag, but
>>
>>53245474
There isn't much to be said about competitive magic though. Plus I enjoy helping people turn their casual jank into something resembling a modern deck.
>>
>>53245474
>you can ONLY discuss 2 or 3 decks here get out!!!
fuck off dude
>>
>>53245474
can't just discuss the kithkin living end match up all day
>>
Are there any decent Sultai decks out there?

Wanted to make use of my Polluted Deltas and Damnations, since they're basically collecting dust atm.

>>53245529
In the long run not worth it, through 20 years of magic I managed to actually teach one player overally.

It always boil to
>teach a dude/gal basics
>month later they think they're hot shit
>can't beat casual jank decks I make for funzies
>they get mad when they get turn 3rd 4th consistently with my FNM decks
>>
File: 1469504553384.jpg (101KB, 459x612px) Image search: [Google]
1469504553384.jpg
101KB, 459x612px
>>53245626
>teach a gal
why the fuck would you do this? did you build a deck for her boyfriend too?
>>
>>53245641
>why the fuck would you do this?
Because any one that actually want to learn is worth teaching to
>>
How many cards of a splash color do you have to run to consider a splash worth it? Is it worth it if it's just one set of a certain card if it helps a lot?
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (65KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
65KB, 1920x1080px
>>53245654
yeah?
>>
>>53245667
If it's convenient and doesn't slow you down.
Like, for example if you run a lot of land search, put in some dual lands you can search out to tap for your main color and the color you need so you always have access to your splash color, I dunno, use your head.
>>
>>53245671
None of the folks I taugh magic became Sith Lords.

Atleast not yet.
>>
>>53245688
>Sith Lords
not cannon
>>
>>53245701
Wait what?
>>
>>53245671
This doesn't invalidate what I said
Anakin/Darth Vader changed what kind of things he wanted to learn first then stopped wanting to learn anything (more precisely thought he had nothing to learn anymore)
In the end, he realized he still had things to learn
>>
>>53245713
Fine, bad example, but you understand my point, nerd.

>>53245711
Find at what point in the original movies they mention sith lords. I'll wait here.
>>
>>53245727
What's your point? "Not all people that want to learn are worthy of being teached"? It just means that they weren't actually interested in learning (hence the "actually" in my first post)

Also, I'm pretty sure they mention Sith Lords in the prequels and as far as I know, the prequels ARE objectively canon
>>
File: 1493843610110.png (283KB, 417x555px) Image search: [Google]
1493843610110.png
283KB, 417x555px
Friendly reminder that if we could all be a little more civil to each other, this general could be a little bit better.
>>
>>53245792
My point is willingness to learn isn't a good enough reason, what's their motive?

Besides, I was just making fun of girls for a bit of sport, not trying to instigate some reddit argument.

>>53246390
shush
>>
Is B/W tokens better now? Seems like it should be since printing Fatal Push, Collective Brutality, Anguished Unmaking, and Gideon Ally of Zendikar. Anyone want to brew up a list together?
>>
>>53246466
>willingness to learn isn't a good enough reason

Not him, but that's a shitty sentiment to have. Are you too good to teach people to play a card game?
>>
W O L F
H
E
N

T
O
K
E
N
S
>>
>>53246506
NO I WAS JUST BREAKING BALLS, YOU AUTISTS
>>
>>53246526
Sorry man, it's hard separate retards from "retards" sometimes. No hard feelings.

>>53246492
Seems to be pretty easy to brew up. Discard package, Paths, Pushes, Souls, Sorins. Not sure how I feel about Unmaking, maybe one or two copies?
>>
>>53246492
Better? Not exactly, just has newish toys to play with. Still a fine deck to take to FNM, though.

>>53246595
From what I see on MtgGoldfish, removal packages seem to be 6-7 total Fatal Push/Path to Exile, with 1 or 2 Unmaking. And that seems fine. 3/3 split of Thoughtsieze and Inquisition. Actually, I might build the deck myself, it seems as though I already have a bunch of pieces, and I can forgo the Bitterblossoms for some other token spell. It's not really a card I like or want to pay for.
>>
>>53246595
>>53246759
Sems good. Should the deck go Abzan for access to Nobles, Nissa Voice of Zendikar, Horizon Canopy, and Gavony Township?
>>
>>53246759
I'd say it's better. Mass removal is being taken out of MBs in exchange for single target because of DS and Eldrazi. Sure it didn't really get any new cards, but it should be better in the current meta.
>>
BW Tokens
Lands (24)
4 Marsh Flats
4 Verdant Catacombs
3 Godless Shrine
3 Concealed Courtyard
2 Shambling Vent
1 Vault of the Archangel
1 Westvale Abbey
3 Plains
3 Swamp

Creatures (3)
2 Orzhov Pontiff
1 Teysa, Orzhov Scion

Instants and Sorcery (22)
4 Fatal Push
4 Path to Exile
3 Thoughtseize
3 Inquisition of Kozilek
4 Lingering Souls
4 Spectral Procession

Enchantments (8)
4 Bitterblossom
4 Intangible Virtue

Planeswalkers (3)
1 Gideon, AoZ
1 Elspeth Knight Errant
1 Elspeth Suns Champion
>>
>>53246839
I wouldn't. I don't play the deck (yet), but on the surface it looks like you're strapped for slots. Not exactly in your exact numbers, but the actual cards themselves seem pretty set. You need some number of TS/Inquisition/ PtE/ Push/etc, etc. I could be wrong, though. I'll keep researching and goldfishing, but my guy gut says no.
>>
>>53247180
Yeah, i do feel like the deck list is so tight its hard to adjust numbers. Gideon and Nissa have great synergy tho. And Horizon Canopy helps with the decks lack of card draw. Noble into turn 2 Nissa/ Lingering Souls/ Procession seems good.
>>
>>53247143
Man, you're so close. You be got the core, but there are a couple of things I'd liie to point out;

1- Westvale Abby can be cut. It's not a card that's very good. I get that you play it to get around boardwipes, but otherwise it's just a winmore card: by the time yiu can activate it, you've got enough on board already to win.

2- Your creatures are mediocre at best. Auriok Champion is run in most lists for a reason. Its a self-protecting soul sister, so it supports Bitterblossom very well. Teysa is meh, but you can try her out.

Your spells package looks great, no criticisms there.

3- Your Planewalker package. Where are your Sorin, Solemn Visitor? He's pretty necessary. He's an anthem + Lifelink, a token producer, and an okay ult all on in one card. His + ability is where you win games. Run 2-3.
>>
>>53247444
Ok
Cut Westvale for Fetid Heath.
The creatures are meh but I really dont want to pay $25 for a single Auriok Champion.
Which walkers should I cut? Gideons a house, and I like Elspeth for the waifu material. Suns Champion is the best shes been in a long time. Ill try to fit in 2 Solemn Visitor.
>>
>>53248265
You could go with a couple of regular soul sisters to give you that life gain even if it's not as resilient as the Champions.
>>
>>53248328
Yeah i guess ill run a Souls Attendant. I like Pontiffs Anthem effect and hes so good against Affinity.
>>
>>53248357
So run Zealous Persecutions instead. Cheaper and at instant speed.
>>
>>53248265
Oh, man, I didn't realize auriok champion was that much. You can try Soul Warden in that slot. Fills the same roll, but doesn't have the added benefit of protection. You can also move Elspeths to the sideboard. I'm sure they can serve some purpose. And Gideon is a powerhouse in the deck.
>>
>>53248390
Pontiffs effect happens twice tho
>>
>>53246492
I beat it every week with elves :^)
>>
>>53245014
>wizards finally reprint dinosaurs
>they all have feathers

1-10 how mad would you be?
>>
>>53245626
What did you not teach them that allowed you to continue to consistently beat them?
>>
>>53245474
I honestly don't understand why they can't start their own thread and decide to post their bullshit in this one even if it doesn't belong.

If you want to talk about casual shit that's fine but do it in the appropriate place and not in a thread meant for Modern discussion.
>>
>>53252670
The name of the format is misleading. I know many casuals and I've asked if they play modern and they just assume I'm referring to recently printed cards
>>
>>53252752
It literally says in the OP though

>This thread is for the competitive discussion of the modern format. Kitchen table discussion is not welcome, but they don't read OPs anyway. For reference the average deck will run you anywhere from $400-$2000.

We've distinguished that this is a format and not a timeframe and yet they still post here.
>>
>>53252670
I can somewhat understand. Many of them have this idea that they want to optimize a pet deck while retaining the core of what made it their pet deck. Before I got really invested in competitive play I ran a monogreen big mana deck. It was basically 4x llanowar elves 4x elvish mystic and the idea was to ramp out something big and fucking stupid. The big and stupid of choice was usually primeval titan, which would grab my single red source and kessig wolf run and usually end the game the next turn.

I spent lots of nights messing with flex slots, land count, sideboard, etc trying to optimize the deck. It took a long time for me to accept that it just wasn't a particularly competitive deck, even though I usually did mediocre-okay at FNM because turn 3 prime time isn't the worst thing in magic and your opponent doesn't ALWAYS have pyroclasm/anger/etc. Although they usually do.
>>
>>53252790
You know nobody reads op
>>
I dont get how hard it is to learn Magic. When I first started Modern around the time BFZ dropped I was pretty casual, I had no idea there were already established decks I just thought I had to create a good deck. Ended up building a Goblin tribal with 4 Goblin Guide, 4 Goblin King, 4 Warren Instigator, and 4 Blood Moons plus Bolt and Grenade. It stole wins sometimes and I eventually studied the game and converted the deck to Burn.
>>
>>53245474
>have a serious discussion about competitive magic
>on a board that is so bad at card evaluation it almost universally thought siege rhino was a shit card even though it was obviously playable and was the final straw that made pod too broken
>on a board that regularly gets basic rules of the game wrong

Yeah, okay, you have fun with that.
>>
>Playing?
Gw Tron, thinking about converting it to Gb Tron.

>Brewing?
UB Mill/Control With Ashiok

Yes, it's shit.

>Metagame thoughts?
Blue and white need more attention.

>Bans/Unbans?
SFM unban would be neat, but that's a pipe dream.
>>
>>53253520
Not only that it completely missed Monastery Mentor and thought that shit enchantment was better. It thought As Foretold was good lol.
>>
>>53253520
>>53253734
*tips*
>>
>>53253734
Nobody thought AF was good but nice revisionist history

>>53253520
"serious"
>>
>>53253666
I play GB tron. What's your meta like?
>>
>Playing?
Spirits

>Brewing?
Esper Death's Shadow, because Delver and Orzhov Charm

>Metagame thoughts?
It's in a state of flux, which is the only time it's really balanced or interesting since it's most prone to spiking with both rogue decks and consistency monsters.

>Bans/Unbans?
Twin would be fine imo. You're retarded if you're a "muh tap out on turn 3" player. No banlist modern is a blast, try it some time.
>>
>>53245626
>teach them poorly
>they make some dumb deck that sucks and are happy because they're clueless
>spank them with "casual" decks that use obscure combos or gimmick creatures that you need to tech against
>smugly say that despite your teaching they lost to unpredictable stuff and are frustrated by it.

wow man such a role model.
>>
>>53254039
Vanilla Jund, Merfolk, Burn, and Emeria Foundry. I need the lifegain for burn, but I feel like hand disruption would be more useful most of the time.
>>
File: atruehero.jpg (35KB, 720x405px) Image search: [Google]
atruehero.jpg
35KB, 720x405px
>>53245626
>I'm bad at teaching people things
>>
>>53254119
GB has a pretty decent matchup against burn. Collective brutality is very solid. Killing a gg, recouping the damage it did, and taking a boros charm or something for 2 mana and some discarded eggs can be a massive tempo swing.
>>
>>53253734
I'm not convinced As Foretold is unplayable. Sure, it's another three drop in three-drop-the-format but unanswered it wins the game, and in the mean time makes other already played cards much better. Idk man I like free spells, especially draw threes.
>>
>>53254364
I mean, you can plan for and play around it, but it's seriously backbreaking a lot of the time. Some day they will print a red Counterspell that I can side in against collective brutality. Some day.
>>
>>53254762
>three-drop-the-format
You don't play modern
>>
>>53254762
>unanswered it wins the game
Actually it doesn't even come close to winning you the game
What makes you think this?
>>
>>53255217
Card advantage. If you're casting twice as many cards as your opponent and still aren't winning, you didn't build your deck correctly.
>>
>>53251865
>>53254089
>>53254314
It usually boils down to
>I dont want to spend X on that
>I want my grizzly bears to work and be competetive
>>
>>53254762
Why don't you just suspend the Ancestral T1 instead of playing some stupid 3-mana card to enable it.

As Foretold is just a weird Blue spell pretending to be a Green spell. It only gains you free mana and in a fairly shitty way. We've evaluated all the cards it could cheat in and Ancestral is the only one that is any good. If you're going to play Balance there are better Cascade engines.
>>
>>53255272
You need a way to draw those cards and it comes online so late you can just ignore it. It's quite bad
>>
>>53255272
As Foretold is not card advantage. It's mana advantage. And it's shit mana advantage as it doesn't let you cast something ridiculous in a timely manner as well as Tron lands or regular mana ramp.
>>
>>53255373
Why not suspend Ancestral Vision T1 and also not have it be a dead draw almost every turn afterwards? Who said we're playing RB? I just want to hold up counter magic + free dispel, then remand, etc. If you only think of it as a cascader then you aren't evaluating it properly.
>>
>>53255508
>I just want to hold up counter magic + free dispel, then remand, etc.
You can't hold up any of those things when you're casting a 3-mana do-nothing enchantment that doesn't stabilize or advance the board position. A Planeswalker is always going to do more work tapping out to cast if you've stabilized and provides reliable value and actual card advantage. Jace Beleren is a better card than As Foretold.

But I digress.

You haven't posted a list and I sure as hell am not going to test the card to prove its impotency. So we're never going to come to an agreement.
>>
>>53255651
I'm not saying those aren't valid points, but like you say the jury is still out sans testing. Lepore did a video series with this list:

https://www.channelfireball.com/videos/modern-monday-as-foretold-control/

I don't think he's that great but probably still better than anyone posting here. It's a starting place if nothing else. I think he goes 3-2.
>>
>>53254364
>discarding 2-3 cards
>in a deck that runs no real source of card advantage
I'll enjoy the free win.
>>
>>53256054
>kills creature with one card
>takes bolt with other card
>takes 2/3rds of a bolt with another card
>all for 2 mana
It's not really card disadvantage anon
>>
>>53255849
Yeah, that list is fine except for the As Foretolds.

The thing about the UWx Control deck is that all they've got is time. They've got all the time in the world to get as much mana they want to kill someone with something like Collonades or a Planeswalker. As Foretold only generates you a mana advantage, which is something the deck ultimately has no problem achieving. It's not a tempo-control deck it's a CONTROL deck. It's weaknesses are stabilizing through the early game.

I played the UWr Control deck and it operates identical to Lepore's list that he took from some guy on MTGO except it doesn't shit itself by playing a do-nothing Enchantment when it would rather have a removal spell or Planeswalker in its place.

Key point: the conventional control deck is built around filters, stabilizers and a couple big win conditions; this is what makes the deck strong as well as weak. As Foretold advances none of the deck's goals and only amplifies its weaknesses.

I am disheartened that you want to continue defending this card in the face of these arguments. It's this level of wish-fulfillment that fucking ruins Magic because people have been sold that "anything is possible" or "anything can work/happen" and it utterly makes it impossible for people to agree on some pseudo-objective basis that something is worse than another thing. And because of an utter inability to agree on more-or-less concrete facts is because we can't get fucking better at the game.
>>
>>53256189
tl;dr Lepore is wrong. Just because he is paid with an Internet audience or the fact that he's probably a better magic player doesn't protect him from being wrong in making terrible deck-building choices.
>>
>>53256054
>Collective Brutality doesn't wreck burn

Historically burn has had the edge against GBx but you haven't played many games against Brutality if you don't find it incredibly problematic.
>>
>>53253520
We've been over this a trillion fucking times you autismo nippon image board revisionist, nobody thought siege rhino was shit. I went through the archives, found the thread meme rhino was first spoiled in and read all the replies. 2 or 3 if the whole fucking thread were dismissing it, the rest were overwhelmingly positive. How fucking stupid are you?
>>
File: 1494470390502.jpg (61KB, 584x622px) Image search: [Google]
1494470390502.jpg
61KB, 584x622px
>>53256665
>calls other autismo
>while searching through several year old archives to disprove a stranger
>>
>>53257658
>implying searching the archives is hard
>>
>>53256264
I play Burn every Friday. Brutalitys good but its not unwinnable through. Multiples can be hard to beat, depending on the pilot they can discard too many cards for not enough effect and end up not being able to close out the game so we go to topdeck mode. Ive also seen people who completely throw the game away. I was against Abzan at a larger tournament and pass the turn after swinging with Swiftspear with two untapped lands, dude fucking Brutalities into a Skullcrack trying to kill Swift and gain life but does none of that and quickly loses the game afterwards.
>>
>>53258670
Oh gosh, but that opponent though

>burn player leaves two mana up with card(s) in hand, doesn't suspect instant

>upon deducing that the burn player has an instant, doesn't deduce that the only spell you actually want to cast instantly instead of pushing through the one extra prowess damage is either Skullcrack or Searing Blaze if they have a fetchland

Maybe if you only had one card in hand, and he was hoping it was a land you were holding onto for Blaze?
>>
>>53259003
It was like turn 3, I had a nearly full hand.
He also played LoTV the previous game at 2 life instead of activating Shambling Vent and I topdecked Lava Spike
>>
File: mfwlocalmagic.jpg (220KB, 900x673px) Image search: [Google]
mfwlocalmagic.jpg
220KB, 900x673px
Just getting this off my chest
>Be semi-competitive, love the game
>Filthy casual friends insist on playing Modern format because on paper it's the best long-term investment, too poor for Legacy or Standard.
>Help them build decks they like as competitively as possible (Huntmaster of the Fells for a Werewolf tribal deck, Path to Exile for some kind of WB Muh Orzhov deck, Lava Spikes and Hellsparks for Mono Red Burn, Dreadbore for Rakdos aggro etc)
>They are also too poor to buy shit like Blood Moon or Goblin Guides
>They blow TONS of time+money on shitty phone games
>One of them takes a shitty mono black vampire deck to a local Modern tourney against my advice
>Gets blown the fuck out
>Vampireguy no-shows some of our meets - other friend tells me his btfo'd experience intimidated him
>This other friend gets salty when I use non-tuned tier 2/3 shit like 8whack against them, to the point where they outright refuse to play against those decks - despite my showing how to beat the decks + sideboarding advice
>oh btw he refuses to have a sideboard
>Whenever Vampireguy does join us we have 3-ways that inevitably turn into handicap matches against me on principal because I'm the better player. Even when I'm playing janky burn.
>They whine when I suggest to have Archenemy games if we keep having handicap matches
>Vampireguy wants to play Commander
>Sideboard hater also hates singleton
>Sideboard hater plays much more yet still can't shuffle and still casts instants as sorceries etc. I think he may have a learning disability, or he is ADD because he plays fucking phone games during stalemates.
>Want new friends
>My LGS has snarky netdeckers who scoffed at my running Tarfire over Lightning Bolt in Jund, until it becomes the meta and then they forget I ever did. (A couple of them having even lectured me for an hour on how 3 damage is more than 2)
It's depressing.
>>
>>53259152
Condolences friend, our LGS also has a no-sideboard guy. He seems all there, even acknowledging that it's wrong, but no one can convince him to build a SB, and he pays money to enter FNM's. Some people.
>>
>>53257923
Never said it was difficult
>>
>>53259260
I never can get this. Its just 15 cards, a few board wipes, some lifegain for Burn, some anti artifact cards, and like 3 other cards.
>>
>>53259511
You forgot 2 or 3 slots for stomping out dredgescum
>>
Will zombies trascend into modern?
>>
>>53259827
No. Tribal trash
>>
>>53259827
No
>>
>>53259959
Zombies is just a trash tribe, not all tribes are trash.
>>
>>53259152
Seriously tho why the fuck would you play tarfire over bolt if youre not playing with delirium cards?
>>
>>53259959
Merfolk is good and Spirits and elves are decent
>>
File: Tarmogoyf.jpg (50KB, 640x575px) Image search: [Google]
Tarmogoyf.jpg
50KB, 640x575px
>>53260057
Hmmm, I don't know anon
>>
>>53260080

You forgot about Leldrazi
>>
>>53260081
You know what i meant faggot. The anon I replied to was playing tarfire on burn decks
>>
>>53260142
Huh? My post says
>scoffed at my running Tarfire over Lightning bolt in Jund
I did mention janky Burn earlier Vs casual friends but I didn't say I was running Tarfire in that.
I was running Tarfire in Jund.
>>
>>53260142
You're retarded. My apologies
>>
>>53255302
X being money or mana? As in they're not able to afford or unwilling to purchase good decks? You're outplaying them with jank decks, does that mean they're bad at playing or bad at building decks?
>>
How do you guys feel about 1-2 Tireless tracker in in Abzan? I've been playing around with them and I'm not sure how I like them in more grindy matchups. On one hand they turn lategame fetches into draw 2 and he can get crazy if unanswered, but more often than it's just 3 mana and die. I'm not sure how I like the "answer this or watch me run away with the game" feel.
>>
What do your guys' LGS do for prizes?

The modern FNM I went to had 4 singles out for top 4, and you could pick which one you wanted. That sounds like a bad deal but they were worth a decent amount (one was a Colonnade IIRC) and you could sell them right back to the store if you felt like it.

5-8 (I was 5th) got picks from the 3 dollar trade binder (I convinced them to let me have 3 Ninja of the Deep Hours because this store also runs pauper). And, of course, they were of course handing out promos (I won an Archfiend in a match against Affinity!)

This was for 5 dollar entry. It seems "not bad" territory.
>>
new player here

does the "every turn" clause on as foretold allow me to activate it once on everyone of my turns ASWELL as my opponents turns or does a "turn" in this case include both me and my opponents turn
>>
File: Image.png (114KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
Image.png
114KB, 223x311px
>>53261311
forgot picture although it likely doesnt matter
>>
>>53261311
both yours and opponent's
>>
>>53261311
>>53261330
Seconding this, this anon is correct.

>>53261262
Consider it just as a lategame snowballer then, and ask yourself if you want a lategame snowballer in your deck.

>>53261274
Haven't been to mine in a while - I think it's $7 entry for 3/2/1 packs for 1st/2nd/3rd for an 8 player tourney.
>>
>>53244524
>>Playing?
WB E&T

>>Brewing?
Standard Boss Sligh

>>Metagame thoughts?
It's fine

>>Bans/Unbans?
Ban Simian Spirit Guide, Deceiver Exarch, Village Bell-ringer and Kiki-Jiki, Mirror-breaker

Unban Splinter Twin and Birthing Pod

Reasoning: Pod is significantly less degenerate with Kiki-Pod off the table, Twin is significantly less resilient with it's X/4 combo options off the table, SSG's mana ability allows for degenerate and un-fun lines of play.
>>
>>53261262
>I'm not sure how I like the "answer this or watch me run away with the game" feel.

I agree, it goes against what Abzan is usually doing
>>
>>53260289
>>53260324 is right. My reading comprehension is 0. I stand corrected
>>
>>53261453
ad naus players would fucking riot with an SSG ban
>>
>>53261884
Griselbros too
>>
>>53261453
No deck running SSG is degenerate. Birthing pod gets better with every good creature they print. It should stay banned.
>>
>>53261274
both lgs do store credit
$5 entry. 3-1 or better gets money back

>>53261311
btw As Foretold is not an activated ability. In magic terms, "activate" has a specific meaning.
>>
>>53261898
>Griselbros
Grishoalbrand players are not your "bros"
Grishoalbrand players are evil
Do not befriend Grishoalbrand players
Do not allow Grishoalbrand players into your dwelling
>>
>>53262397
The Grishoalbrand player at my store is a total bro even if he does sacrifice small children for a t1 kill occasionally
>>
>>53262601
Anomaly detected
Anomaly detected
>>
File: 178.jpg (70KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
178.jpg
70KB, 312x445px
>>53261734
That's big of you, no sweat senpai :3
Also thanks to those who replied to my spiel

>>53261910
I agree

Anyone tried any brewing with pic related in Modern? I just noticed this in my stash and I'm tempted.
>>
>>53262805

Commune with nature is strictly better.
>>
File: 1359596462755.png (72KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1359596462755.png
72KB, 200x200px
>>53262601
>t1

what
>>
File: 142.jpg (68KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
142.jpg
68KB, 312x445px
>>53263014
I like Commune with Nature, and it has really nice art to boot.

But I feel like I might as well play Ancient Stirrings instead, and I wanna avoid that.
Then there's also that sweet value potential in Gather the Pack
>>
>>53263284
i men theoretically u can nut into land, some combination of rituals and SSG, through the breach griselB into play and go off from there.

it's like a <1% chance of happening though. I've seen a list that ran 4x fury of the horde and he called it GRISELCANNON and once griselbrand hit the board you were usually dead. and he got me with a turn 1 kill once.
>>
>>53263459
That's not what the nut hand is with Grishoalbrand.

Grishoalbrands t1 kills usually come from a black mana producing land + 2SSG and faithless looting + Goryo's vengeance. You ssg for red discard Gdaddy then SSG + black to reanimate Gdaddy and draw your whole deck

You can also ritual + metamorphose but that's almost as rare as what you described.
>>
>>53263509
i mean they're all pretty silly nut hands. that's just the one I've experienced personally.
>>
>>53261311
do note that as foretold does not change timing restriction of spells you cast on your opponent's turn. you can't use it to flash a creature or enchantment into play for example.
>>
Is Aetherworks Marvel viable in Modern. Turn 4 Emrakul the Aeons Torn seems like game, or any of the other big fat Eldrazi titans.
>>
>>53263530
The one you described happens less then the looting one and the looting one happens ~1.5% of the time.

t. Griselmeme player
>>
>>53263815
You mean you telling me i got the meme with the extra creamy nut sauce then
>>
>>53263769
You also have to hope that they haven't won by turn 4, you have all the energy you need by turn 4, and they didn't immediately blow up your marvel.
>>
>>53262805
Why not just play lead the stampede?
>>
>>53262397
kek

>>53262805
seems worse than lead the stampede unless you have some graveyard interaction

>>53263815
man i've been playing this deck for months and i've never turn 1'd someone. even counting the dozens/hundreds of times i've goldfished, i never seem to hit it
How do you pronounce Griselbrand? I get kind of triggered when people say like "gristle"
>>
>>53264071
I say jizzle-brand but that's an intentional mispronunciation. I hear most people say it like grizzle-brand.
>>
>>53263955
Of course you'll run powerful Modern cards that slot into the deck like Serum Visions or Remand. Not sure exactly how the deck woud look for a Modern version but im sure someone could throw a quick list together. Also as long as you have the 6(?) Energy when Marvel resolves you can activate it without passing priority, even if they try to blow it up with Revelry or something else you can just activate it in response. The only thing that dicks it is Stony Silence
>>
>>53245351
Your strategy to win the game is straight up bad. You rely on an specific sequence of plays to get out a threat that is not even game winning. What if you dont draw those cards in the first turns? How are you stopping your opponent from winning when you are not winning yourself? Modern is a turn 4 format, which means that your plan must ein you the game by then or at least be able to stop your opponent so you can win later on. Your plan relies on getting out a threat that is not even game winning in the first place. If you were running 4 emrakuls and 4 ulamogs then turn 3 swing with annihilator x with lightning greaves is janky but still is something doable because if you do swing then you are going to cripple your opponent and stop whatever plan they had going. If you do that with dragons instead then your opponent can just take the damage or chump it and continue on his gameplan, at which at this point is pretty developed if its turn 3 or 4.
>>
File: 1453103126666.jpg (87KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1453103126666.jpg
87KB, 480x480px
>>53263344

Apologies for the late reply.
Ancient Stirrings only grabs colorless cards, so unless you're playing lantern or tron, stirrings isn't a valid choice here. The ""value"" that comes with gather is too conditional since the only deck worth putting either of these cards in will have to be creature heavy.
With that being said, commune as a four-of in a vizier combo shell has made the deck dangerously consistent in the games I've goldfished with it. It's unfortunate that it only grabs one creature 5 down instead of collected company's six at instant speed, but it's a great play turn one if you were unfortunate enough to not draw a bird. The fact that you can also bottom other creatures that you want to either protect from discard and/or tutor for in a certain situation with Evolution is a nice bonus.
I'm still trying to decide whether this particular version is better than the traditional lists with 4x Chord/Coco. This one seems more consistent and able to tutor toolbox creatures better, but the coco shell can jam in more combos (I run a total of 3) and operate at instant speed. It depends on your playstyle I guess. One plays like a shittier pod deck with a combo, and the other reminds me of food chain decks from legacy.
t. abzan combo autist
>>
File: purest waifu.jpg (387KB, 1728x972px) Image search: [Google]
purest waifu.jpg
387KB, 1728x972px
>>53261274
i 3-0ed tonight with WB E&T for $24 ISC with a $3 buy-in.
>2-0 Merfolk
>2-1 Dredge
>2-1 Burn

monday night modern and thursday night legacy are swiss pairings until one player is undefeated. standard and modern FNM are something different. i wouldn't know because I WORK IN A RESTAURANT and never have friday or saturday night off.
>>
>>53244524
Does anyone play MODO?
How hard is it to farm ticks with a cheaper deck (Burn/Merfolk) for the purpose of buying Tarmogoyfs and Lilianas?
How hard is it to keep playing leagues without spending more actual money on event entries once you have a Tier 1 deck?
>>
>>53264690
>How hard is it to farm ticks with a cheaper deck (Burn/Merfolk) for the purpose of buying Tarmogoyfs and Lilianas?
you can't farm tix anymore. they don't pay out tix for events. you get 'play points', which cannot be traded, chests which contain random jank with a chance for value and i think limited pays out packs still but idk because i dont fuck with limited.
>>
Temur Aetherworks for Modern
Lands (22)
4 Misty Rainforest
4 Scalding Tarn
2 Wooded Foothills
3 Breeding Pool
3 Steam Vents
1 Stomping Ground
1 Flooded Grove
1 Cascade Bluffs
1 Mountain
1 Island
2 Forest
(Manabase isnt perfect but its just a rough draft)

Instants and Sorceries (20)
4 Attune with Aether
4 Serum Visions
4 Harnessed Lightning
2 Remand
2 Mana Leak
1 Spell Snare
3 Cryptic Command

Creatures (12)
4 Rogue Refiner
2 Whirler Virtuoso
4 Emrakul the Aeons Torn
2 Other Eldrazi titan/huge fatty/game ending spell. Feel free to unleash your inner timmy here.

Artifacts (6)
4 Aetherworks Marvel
2 Woodweavers Puzzleknot
>>
>>53264212
The problem is that those cards all take the place of energy generating cards.

If you want turn 4 Emrakuls you can play polymorph.
>>
>>53264974
Bots will buy chests for 2-3 tix.
For "friendly" leagues, winning 3 rounds gives you back yout entry in play points plus 1 chest. You need 70 of these for 1 Liliana.
Winning 4 rounds gives you back yout entry in play points plus 3 chest. You need 24 of these for 1 Liliana.
Winning 5 rounds gives you back yout entry in play points plus 8 chest. You need 9 of these for 1 Liliana.

So yes you can keep playing indefinatedly so long as you remain 3-X or higher, but you'll take over 8 months to get 4x Liliana with those results and you're not 5-0ing every day with Burn unless you're a WMC level player.
>>
Cut those numbers in half since normal Lilianas are just 70tix, I had her paper foil price in mind and forgot not everyone's a fucking magpie.
>>
>>53263973
>>53264071
1 mana cheaper and feeding the grave is nice.
I have brewed with Lead the Stampede before to moderate success. I like it best in aggro strategies.
That fresh reloading feeling is really something.

Gather the Pack I'm experimenting with in Jund.
It definitely feels like a more late-game card.

>>53264626
Didn't mean to dismiss Commune, I do like the card and yes my thoughts were with Lantern/Tron when it came to Stirrings.
Stirrings just gets so much mileage in those decks, I want to feel like Commune with Nature is fully taken advantage of wherever it goes - that it has its own home(s).
In my goldfishing with Commune with Nature I've liked it in hatebears. Hatebears appreciates the dig+selection.
I keep wanting to run something else alongside it, and look to Oath of Nissa but Oath digs less and encourages you to run planeswalkers, which Commune with Nature will only tuck away.
>>
Daily reminder that the "/tg/ is bad at magic" faggots are projecting shitposters who unironically thought that meme rhino was bad, as foretold was good and green gearhulk was the best of the bunch and are now trying to compensate their stupidity by making up that "everyone" made the same outrageosly bad claims than them.
>>
>>53265814
Greenhulk is the best, just not in Modern.
Bluehulk is only as good as the cards it can get, just like Tiago.
>>
>>53265932
Nor is it in Standard which is the only format where the Gearhulks matter.

Blue is the best of the bunch by far even in meme formats like Frontier because it can get Dig Through Time a second time while being a 5/6 Ambush Viper
>>
File: image.jpg (62KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
62KB, 312x445px
How do we make 8 whack tier1?
>>
>>53266024
Functional SSG reprint + 0 CMC dudes
>>
What G/W semi-budget deck >competitve modern general can I build without Noble Hierarch
>>
>>53266065
Elves or GW Tron if your meta suits it
>>
>>53266065
Some kind of hatebears or wilt-leaf liege deck. Pieces for hatebears are relatively budget, the most important things are Finks, Rallier, Scooze, Thalia 1.0 and CoCo
>>
>>53266147
Oh also Bogles but
>bogles
>current year
>>
>>53260472
Both.

And X refers to cards that are over 5 bucks in price.

One of them in his U/W list runs fucking 10 walls despite his deck being "aggro", when I told him it's retarded to run walls in aggresive deck he said that he likes them and won't change them.

One of our friends brought non goblin guides 8 whack to even show them a BUDGET decent deck.

They just cannot grasp basic deckbuilding or synergies between cards.

Hell, I can't even convince them to use evolwing wilds or expanses in 3-4 color decks and they later bitch and moan when they get mana screwed because they lack colors they need.
>>
>>53266147
>>53266154
Cool thanks.

I'll look into Liege/Little Kid decks. I'm building up to Knightfall, only have the Mistys and a couple other pieces right now.
>>
File: 239995-hr.jpg (251KB, 745x1040px) Image search: [Google]
239995-hr.jpg
251KB, 745x1040px
>>53264116
do you follow the MTGS thread?
some dude has been running chalices in the side with good results, which is kind of cool. I tried to do 4 chalice when bogles and infect were out in strength but gave up because i could never draw them
Now, even with infect gone, it think chalice sounds good in a lot of poor matchups, hitting death's shadow decks, lantern, burn, fast combo, etc.
>>
>>53266065
There's a Chord deck that runs:
Devoted Druid + Vizier of Remedies = infinite mana
Chord for Eternal Witness get Chord back
Chord for Restoration Angel, flicker Witness, get Chord back, get Kiki-Jiki

Or play Walking Balista with your infinite mana.

It's built off the original shell of Kiki-Chord.

You can play Birds of Paradise and a lot of singletons. I imagine you can get all the creatures for the price of one Hierarch given that the fucking Noble goes for $100+ now.
>>
>>53266647
Noble is 60 bucks senpai
>>
>>53266664
We're both wrong:
http://store.channelfireball.com/products/search?query=Noble+Hierarch

That being said, we all know it's going to get to $100 eventually.
>>
>>53266695
Good thing I have a playset of fakes
>>
>>53266695
This is disgusting. There's absolutely no reason any single card should be over $10. Something needs to be done about these ridiculous prices.
>>
>>53266781
This so much
We need actual Masters sets
>>
>>53266781
desu some cards need to be slightly expensive. the ceiling is just too high currently. the most expensive not-reserved list cards should sit around $40ish. there needs to be a certain prestige and chase value that drives people to crack packs. this moves product and ensures the health of the game at the retail level, as well as flooding the market with singles of other cards to ensure their prices remain low. The pokemon tcg has a similar model. the most expensive card in their game for a long time was $90, so they reprinted the entire set it was from and tanked the value of other cards in the set while dropping shaymin EX to ~$40-45 where it stayed

Expensive chase rares are actually a good thing in the big picture, they just need to be handled and controlled responsibly, and we all know wotc is far too incompetent to be capable of such a thing. These are the fucking people that decided thoughtseize ruined standard and use that only individual experience to decide they weren't going to reprint relevant modern staples in standard sets anymore.
>>
>>53266946
>he most expensive card in their game for a long time was $90
to clarify this is in the context of the competitive game play aspect, obviously there are collector cards worth far more than that purely for collector value.
>>
>>53265343
I would play Aether hub and scry puzzleknot
Are the creatures that good for energy ?
Because otherwise they looks bad for modern
>>
File: Nouare.jpg (122KB, 1237x811px) Image search: [Google]
Nouare.jpg
122KB, 1237x811px
>>53266695
>http://store.channelfireball.com/products/search?query=Noble+Hierarch
No only you are senpai

http://shop.tcgplayer.com/magic/conflux/noble-hierarch
>>
File: Youhadyourchance.jpg (86KB, 1222x470px) Image search: [Google]
Youhadyourchance.jpg
86KB, 1222x470px
>>53267130
She's honestly priced adequately for the best dork in modern. Not to mention you should already have 4
>>
>>53267130
Well, neither of you are wrong, exactly. Because, amazingly enough, there will be slightly different prices at different places. Imagine that! TCG's mid price is not the same as StarCityGames price is not the same as your lgs price is not the same as an EBay listing price.
>>
>>53267226
>Because, amazingly enough, there will be slightly different prices at different places. Imagine that!
Just because Star of David games and Channel Jewball mark their shit up does not mean that's what the card is worth and considering TCGplayer is based off multiple sellers, as well as stores as opposed to CFB and SCG that makes it much more reliable in terms of evaluating a cards worth you fucking mong
>>
>>53267271
Well, StarCity and channelfireball wouldn't have the price that they do if people weren't willing to buy it at that price. And the cards cost literal pennies, so whatever "worth" they have is completely arbitrary anyway.
>>
>>53267363
You pay for service and reliability with larger retailers as well. Taking a market average (or median, I can't remember what tcgplayer exactly uses) is far better at averaging out stuff like that.
>>
>i usually play agressive decks
>in standard and modern
>i play burn in modern
>people scoff at me when they find out i play burn
>they always try to win with blue counter/control/combo decks
>blue mana and counter spells are the best for those guys

Why is trying to win the game so disliked? Why do they think just disallowing fun with blue cards is so much superior than trying to actually win the game?
>>
>>53267584
blue players are mentally retarded is all. That's why we purged them from the format.
>>
>>53267584
People are more vocal about things they don't like and feel the need to share this opinion every possible chance they get. Any they can have their opinion, but no one has to listen if they dont want to.
>>
Playing affinity, how to board against eldrazi tron? He keeps using ballista to pinging my flyers or on any of my triggers to equip or boost
>>
>>53267995
board in stony silence, shut off ballista
>>
>>53268076
U wot? Thinking about boarding pithing needles to shut down end bringer and ballista
>>
>>53267995
board in bloodmoon
>>
>>53268118
Needle is an underrated affinity SB card desu
>>
>>53267130
>>53267215
>only play Modern casual
>want to build a good beast deck
>figure out that Noble Hierarch would be a good choice based on recommendations
>its 30€+ for just one.

Fuck this.
>>
>>53267584
People in general hate super control and burn. So both of you are disliked.

Mostly because:
>burn
>kills you very quickly
>little you can do about it
>take 10 damage on turn 2
Burn is a competitive deck, and often players don't get a chance they feel to fight back

>cruel control
>bounce, counter spell, flash back counter spell
>fuck off and do nothing for 10 minutes until you draw your wincon

They are both shitty to play against casually, which is why both are disliked outside of competitive casual play.
>>
>>53268579
just use birds you ding dong. Hierarch is one of those cards you pay $50 extra dollars for for a tiny upgrade, it's not like it's LotV or anything.
>>
>>53268777
>tiny upgrade
The exalted does more work then you think
>>
>>53268805
maybe in infect, but not in casual beast tribal
>>
>>53251530

Dinosaurs and birds are extremely close common ancestors. Dinosaurs still look awesome with feathers.
>>
>>53268879
Not just in infect, but you're probably right about not getting much mileage with them in a shitty beast tribal
>>
Is U or UW Tron better positioned right now?
>>
>>53267584
Just win man, Burn is fun and you should be able to crush the fuck out of bad blue decks.
Blue players are generally autistic, so they like to feel a control over events in the game that they dont have in real life. Its like a power trip for them.
>>
>>53269533
>Burn is fun
>draw card
>immediately slam card on the table
>start changing life totals before waiting for response
>not autistic
>>
>>53269193
Why would it be?

>>53269719
Fucking same shit all over again. Why does it make some people dongs expand to whine over the game mechanics that are ingrained into the fokn game?
>>
>>53269719
>Not not playing burn just to tilt your opponent
>not adding anime girl sleeves and a "Morrowind Sucks" playmate for extra salt

Show up in a MAGA t-shirt and you can win games from anger alone.
>>
>>53269719
Who the fuck does this? I always wait for my opponent to say "Sure" or affirm its resolving before I change life totals and you dont slam instants on your turn retard
>>
>>53269844
Why would it be what?
>>
>>53269719
"I AM SILLY!1!!"
>>
>>53269904
Autistic burn players that think they are cool for playing the cheapest "competitive" deck.
>>
>>53269979
And assholes like you keep getting mad about it.
>>
>>53269979
Ok but theres autistic people who play every deck type.
>>
>>53267584
>disallowing fun with blue cards
Shit mentality there
>>
>>53269866
My dream is to foil out Bogles and then get a professional to white border it. I want heads to explode.
>>
>>53269915
Well, because someone is asking "is X better positioned now" there is some reason to believe it is and I have no idea why someone would think the meta is now better for U or UW tron.
>>
File: IMG_0012.jpg (59KB, 800x331px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0012.jpg
59KB, 800x331px
Speaking of burn....

This happened on Friday

T0 a gemstone caverns
T1 he plays guide, free land for me.
T1 drop void chalice for 1
>what the fuck is that shit
>starts giving it a middle finger with both hands back and forth mumbling fuck you
T2 he passes after dropping a land, guide gives me another
T2 explosives with black / 1
T3 he drops blood moon, I blow it up
>turrets muttering, calls it a bitchy move
T3 drop Karn, exile his goblin guide
>almost REEEEEs and scoops
> calls me a piece of shit and if it was legal he'd punch me
>his hand was full of one drops and an eidolon

Was pretty gud, never played against a neckbeard before
>>
>>53271369
>playing death's shadow at LGS
>serious players, only competitive decks allowed pretty much
>playing against what appears to be Elves, with Stomping Grounds for some reason
>be calm and collected, play a goyf and pass the turn
>opponent begins to climb atop his chair, jumps high off of it and windmill slams a Warpworld onto the table, nearly causing it to collapse.
>before I can even allow it to resolve he suckerpunches me in the face, collects his deck and prize winnings and flees from the store, never to be seen again.
>>
File: 1481137766398.jpg (10KB, 264x249px) Image search: [Google]
1481137766398.jpg
10KB, 264x249px
>>53271470
>>
>>53271369
>Explosives on 1 blows up blood moon
Oh yea, tell me more
>>
>>53271740
Holy shit

I thought it gave x counters plus sunburst

I've been cheating for months
>>
>Playing
RG Titanshift. Maybe trying a black splash once I save up the coin for some catacombs.
>Brewing
UW Emeria with a combo finish (Titan/Fiend Hunter/Blasting Station) and a trophy Mage package (Station/Crucible)
>State of the meta
Honestly pretty good. Lots of viable decks/archetypes. Modern is probably the most popular constructed format in my area.
>Bans/unbans
None. Reprint Counterspell shoat least give it a shot
>>
>>53271814
You fucking suck at lying
>>
is playing 8whack/burn viable against a store meta where weekly top 4 is always a variation of Abzan/Jeskai Midrange or am I just setting myself up for failure and bad times
>>
>>53272592
You're probably better off with traditional Boros/Naya Burn than 8whack. Burn players in my area have been moving off even playing Nacatl because of Push and a Push/Bolt heavy meta is no bueno for an even more creature-centric build.
>>
>>53245495
> $$$$$$$$COMPETITIVE MODERN$$$$$$$$
>people who try to win are fags

/tg/ is not only bad at magic they're bad at reading comprehension
>>
File: IMG_0009.jpg (105KB, 1400x788px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0009.jpg
105KB, 1400x788px
>>53272561
Yes, I just arbitrarily decided to pay black and 1 to get 3 counters incorrectly, just for this green text, that some guy is accusing me of lying on an anonymous Vietnamese car selling website.

You got me
>>
>>53273617
does burn play blood moon nowadays? i dont see it
>>
>>53271369
You suck at lying
>>
What's with the hate toward Griselbrand and Burn?

>>53251530
>>53268917
1. Yes to feathered Dinosaurs
But I saw some clip recently though that said the plated herbivores were likely featherless
It's more the raptors/T-Rex varieties that had them.
And apparently Pterosaurs were far enough away that they shouldn't be counted as dinosaurs. But that's a 'Hound' Vs 'Dog' issue.
I don't think anyone would care if Pterosaurs were called dinosaurs.

So the question is - would they go ahead and make dinosaurs their own card type?
Would Dinosaur Stompy be a pushed archetype like Eldrazi Stompy?

And how much would you enjoy piloting a deck called Dinosaur Stompy?
>>
>>53273063
I agree with yo...
>/tg/ is not only bad at magic

Nevermind, refer to this post >>53265814
>>
File: ..jpg (108KB, 941x379px) Image search: [Google]
..jpg
108KB, 941x379px
is this deck $$$$$$ COMPETITIVE $$$$$$ ?
>>
>>53273648
I normally don't see it in burn.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/modern-burn-34574#online

Here's the most recent one I could find.
>>
>>53273743
Do not respond to Grishoalbrand posters
>>
>>53273648
>does burn play blood moon nowadays?
Does it deal damage to a player or get rid of a threat too big to kill with bolt?
>>
>>53273743
>What's with the hate toward Griselbrand and Burn?
/tg/ is full of salty fags who play shit durdle decks and are awful at Poker.
>>
>>53273898
It's a joke. Lighten up salt lord
>>
>tron is banned
>goyf is banned
>collected company is banned

What happens to the meta
>>
>>53274695
>how to spot a scrub
>>
Why is Mithras bauble so good?
>>
>>53274893
? I'm asking what would happen, not advocating for them to be banned.
>>
>>53274908
Free delirium/graveyard food and free info if your opponent doesn't shuffle away what you peek at.
>>
>>53274945
Ok.

There are so many subtle things I just don't catch on to unless I play it.

And here I wanted to try and craft my on semi competitive deck instead of netdecking
>>
>>53275006

You can also look at your top card and fetch if you need.
>>
>>53270450
So they are equal right now? I was just wondering because I figured one would be better than the other considering how different they are.
>>
>>53275394
The deck is real shitty so I don't think anyone here bothers with it. Doubt you'll get much info
>>
>>53275394
U Tron is better than UW, and has been for some time.
>>
>>53276070
Huh. I figured with Iona and board wipes UW would be better. Naming red against burn is gg.
>>
>>53276308
Playing UW tron against burn is gg for you
>>
>>53276381
Yeah I know. It's probably the decks best MU. Burn is pretty easy to beat in general.
>>
>>53276497
No. Burn is going to rape your shitty tron is what he's saying
>>
>>53276611
>burn raping anything
He must be a comedian.
>>
>>53276647
You must not play modern
>>
>>53276647
>burn not being the most consistent deck outside of Jund
Modern's gonna be a wild ride for you bb
>>
>>53276647
>implying burn doesn't have a positive matchup against %60 of the entire meta, on game 1
You're a dumb nigger
Literally the only decks that have favorable matchups against Burn are Ad Nauseaum and Tier 2-3 jank like Soul Sisters and Stompy.
>>
>>53276781
By jund do you mean DSJ ?
>>
>>53276799
>DSJ ?
>consistent
ayy lmao
>>
>tfw over half the general plays burn and gets triggered easily
This is why I love modern general. Burn is ass and a free win everytime.
>>
File: 20170517_004638.png (78KB, 842x542px) Image search: [Google]
20170517_004638.png
78KB, 842x542px
>>53276811
I see people are consistantly playing real decks instead of relics
>>
>>53276966
>burn isn't #1
/tg/ BTFO
>>
>>53276647
this is the competitive modern general
>>
>>53277195
It's also the $$$$$ competitive general. Not for poor fags that play subpar decks like burn to try and feel competitive. Play DS and/or Tron or go home.
>>
>>53277304
I thought knightfall was /ourdeck/
>>
>>53277435
Why would you think that? It's shit
>>
>>53277304
Burn and tron cost about the same senpai

Keep crying about burn though it's funny as fuck

>>53277435
Kinghtfall is our boy
>>
>>53277443
nvm ill just go back to playing mono red burn, and use the rest of my cash for a down payment on a house
>>
>>53277461
Lmao enjoy your dumpster house
>>
>>53277443
It's currently climbing the tiers since it's actually good in the meta
>>
>>53251530
Sounds awesome. Except T-Rex. Maybe some on the back of his head and neck but that's it.

I want giant Dakotaraptors with fucking wings
>Airborne Hookclaw (or whatever)
>4cmc, 3 anything/1 green
>4/3 - Creature - Dinosaur (Imperiorsaur and those couple of raptors get errata'd from Lizard to Dinosaur)
>First Strike
>Devour 1
>pay 1 green: Airborne Hookclaw gains flying til end of turn
>>
>>53277504
>green
>ability gives flying
I don't think so
>>
File: shrug (2).jpg (73KB, 809x500px) Image search: [Google]
shrug (2).jpg
73KB, 809x500px
>>53277634
>4cmc / 2anything/1red/1green
>pay 1 red gains flying
>>
>>53277673

Learn the game dumbass customcardfag
>>
>>53267215
>you should already have your playset
Yeah fuck anyone new to the game who wants to play, I bought mine at $20 each so I don't have to think about prices anymore!
>>
>>53277048
Burn has never been number one you mouthbreathing fucktard. Its still a solid deck thats up there with the best of them. Its better then most decks. For fucks sake its better then classic Jund atm.
>>
>>53276497
Why the fuck is /tg/ so fucking horrendous at Magic? Trons matchup against Burn is abysmal, nearly unwinnable both pre and post board and thats the good version of Tron, imagine how much worse the jank versions get shitstomped.
>>
>>53267363
Everything's "worth" is arbitrary you mong. That is the worst argument for lower prices I have ever heard, and I fucking agree with you.
>>
>>53277461
Niggro if you were actually shopping for a house you would not even begin comparing the cost of a modern deck to a down payment on a house.
>>
>>53278537
explain
>>
>>53278772
>Why the fuck is /tg/ so fucking horrendous at Magic?
Because most of them are autistic burn players.
>>
>>53280042
The burn players here tend to actually have a better grasp of how the game works than most other players actually.
>>
>>53280042
t. Tronfag that thought his retard deck was favored against burn
>>
Simple question time lads:

What decks you got?

Currently have full foil burn and classic Jund. Would get Zoo if it were any good anymore.
>>
>>53280305
skrad rad and thats it
>>
>>53280305
I've got a cascading taco deck, sunny side up, lead pickle, and semetic judo deck.
>>
>>53278772
I'm willing to bet you can't find another online community of Magic players more competent than /tg/.

I seriously hope you find one because I would be interested to join. Because I've looked, /tg/ is the best and most useful place to talk about this fucking game as sad as that may be.
>>
>>53281066
Post pics you cuck
>>
File: harsh_mentor.jpg (39KB, 255x361px) Image search: [Google]
harsh_mentor.jpg
39KB, 255x361px
Did you get your 4x yet?

Just got 3 normal and 1 foil for $23~ last night, feels amazing man
>>
>>53281297
Exactly which card in burn is this guy going to replace?

Deck is weak enough to removal as is whether it be Naya or Boros.
>>
>>53281297
You wasted money
>>
>>53281398
This game is a waste of money desu
>>
>>53280305
Affinity, Eldrazi Tron and Living End.
I try to have different playstyle decks (Archetypes).
>>
>>53280305
Burn, Lantern, Dredge, Bant Spirits and Kinghtfall

Probably going to buy goyfs and the few cards I need to finish Abzan and then lay off of building my collection for a while.
>>
>>53281297
You're fucking dumb anon.
Yes Mentor is good and he does great tings against decks that rely on manlands, but there isn't anything to cut for him. Run him in the side maybe, but he isn't mainboard tech.
That being said I shouldn't talk about whether a card is good, because I run fucking Lathnu Hellion in my main
>>
>>53280305
>living end
>titan shift
>genesis wave combo (was tooth and nail, I swap back and forth depending on which version I feel like playing)
>GB elves
>UW draw-go

Thinking about building burn since I have a lot of red fetches laying around and that's like 1/3rd of the cost and my collection lacks an aggro deck. Personally I think elves is pretty aggro but the rest of the internet seems to consider it a combo deck.
>>
>>53280305
Mill
Helix Combo
Kithkin
Bolas Tron
>>
File: 24863626_p0.jpg (432KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
24863626_p0.jpg
432KB, 1200x1200px
>>
>>53273811
I could see it working in theory but it would take a lot of tuning before it is good.
>>
>>53282404
I really REALLY like this image, mind if I save it?
>>
>>53282537
You're a big guy
>>
File: 35761105_p1_master1200.jpg (59KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
35761105_p1_master1200.jpg
59KB, 400x300px
>>53282537
>>
>>53268777
same >>53268579
>just use birds
a little late, but what card are you referring to?
>>
>>53283049
birds of paradise
>>
>>53283135
ah ok, thanks.
>>
>>53267215
>$65 for a single card

I'm going to be honest here, and I say this as someone who blows their money dumb shit all the time, there's no reason you should ever pay that much (or more than $20, and that's pushing it) for a card. Yeah, I've already bought in to modern, and have some playsets (fetches and shocks) I don't use but hold onto for their value, but this is just getting absurd.
>>
>>53282256
Do you just enjoy losing? Is it like a fetish thing?
>>
>>53280042
t. Tronfag
>>
>>53281297
Hes honestly sideboard material. Hes really good in Burn if you face a lot if Tron or Affinity, im sure theres other matchups where he can hit hard too but hes not solid enough mainboard to warrant a slot. Unless you are stubborn/old fashioned like me and still run two Grim Lavamancers mainboard which he could potentially replace. I just really love Lavamancer, he pulls a lot of weight in the matchups he is good in.
>>
>Storm is second most played deck according to Goldfish
Gifts Ungiven is getting banned
>>
>>53284823
ban past in flames
>>
>>53284843
Honestly both could be candidates for it and funnily enough both were reprinted in MM17. Itll probably be Gifts though.
>>
>>53282404
yoink!
>>
>>53284692
But I don't lose. Stop making assumptions.
>>
>>53284858
Gifts is playing in other decks though while past will only kill storm. If anything they should just ban an electomancer and force them to use ascension again.
>>
File: 120266_200w.jpg (22KB, 200x285px) Image search: [Google]
120266_200w.jpg
22KB, 200x285px
So how much will she go up after standard rotation?
>>
>>53267215
>Youhadyourchance
It's gross we have to tell players it's their fault they weren't playing four years ago so they could have the privilege of paying $20 for a piece of cardboard.
>>
>>53267215
This is why I'll never fault someone for buying china fakes.
>>
>>53285074
2 years ago, and really just play birds. w/o infect hierarch isn't that much better
>>
>>53284823
Combo decks always see disproportionate amounts of play on modo.
>>
>>53280305
mountain tribal and arcane tribal
between the two, my matchups are pretty much covered
also got outdated mono green stompy
>>
>>53270414
>My dream is to foil out Bogles and then get a professional to white border it. I want heads to explode.

Honestly I'd rather play against Burn than vs Boggles, fuck that gay deck
>>
>>53285011
She won't go up until EMN stops print.
>>
>>53287905
Burn is actually a pretty interactive matchup for most decks.

Bogles is just windmill-slam.dec

Pretty great if you hate Magic honestly.
>>
>>53269866
>Show up in a MAGA t-shirt and you can win games from anger alone.
Can confirm this is true
I've done similar, wearing a "Make Trudeau a Drama Teacher Again" hat at tournaments here in Toronto. Its hilarious how easy it is to fuck with people who play this game.
>>
>>53282404
they better not be saying anything lewd about her
Thread posts: 319
Thread images: 38

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.