[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/ccg/ Custom Card General /cct/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 318
Thread images: 126

File: Primer 2.png (2MB, 1400x1800px) Image search: [Google]
Primer 2.png
2MB, 1400x1800px
Enchantment edition

>To make cards, download MSE for free from here:
http://magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/
>OR
>Mobile users might have an easier time signing up here:
https://mtg.design/

>Hi-Res MSE Templates
http://pastebin.com/Mph6u6WY

>Mechanics doc (For the making of color pie appropriate cards)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgaKCOzyqM48dFdKRXpxTDRJelRGWVZabFhUU0RMcEE

>Read this before you post cards for the first time, or as a refresher for returning cardmakers
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Jn1J1Mj-EvxMxca8aSRBDj766rSN8oSQgLMOXs10BUM

>Design articles by Wizards
http://pastebin.com/Ly8pw7BR

>Q: Can there be a sixth color?
A: http://pastebin.com/kNAgwj7i

>Q: What's the difference between multicolor and hybrid?
A: http://pastebin.com/yBnGki1C

>Q: What is precedence?
A: http://pastebin.com/pGxMLwc7

>Art sources
http://www.artstation.com/
http://drawcrowd.com/
http://fantasygallery.net/
http://grognard.booru.org/
http://fantasy-art-engine.tumblr.com/

>Stitch cards together with
http://old.photojoiner.net/

>/ccg/ sets (completed and in development)
http://pastebin.com/hsVAbnMj

Old thread:
>>53175372
>>
>>53239089
If my life experience is anything to go by, it most certainly is unusual to be loved by anyone.
>>
>>53239112
What about your mom anon? It's mother's day, after all!
>>
File: wm02 Glyphbearer Rinah.png (200KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
wm02 Glyphbearer Rinah.png
200KB, 375x523px
>>53239080
>enchantment edition
I mean, I have the ascend mechanic and this thing which I really fuckin love.
>>
File: Shattered Reflection.png (318KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Shattered Reflection.png
318KB, 375x523px
>>
File: 2 Black Rares First Draft.jpg (456KB, 2625x523px) Image search: [Google]
2 Black Rares First Draft.jpg
456KB, 2625x523px
I'll kick things off by reposting these, since they didn't get much in the way of feedback being posted at the tail end of last thread.
>>
File: Perception Break.png (324KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Perception Break.png
324KB, 375x523px
>>53239142
Also this weird ass idea from years and a harddrive ago.

I kind of want to make it so the first player doesn't see the card, probably something like "That opponent looks at the top card of the first player's library and, if it shares etc, may reveal and cast that card etc.". Or, still reveal it because that's more succinct text, but make it get bottomed or milled if it doesn't match.
>>
>>53239170
>1
neat, probably on par with intropack rares though

>02
scooze with a vengeance. Also neat.

>03
cute though probably costs itself out of ever seeing play

>04
>8 mana
oh mama. I feel like a high level eldritch abomination like that (and something that costs a fortune but doesn't have a particularly noteworthy body) should have some manner of protection. I guess I would like to see it like a 4/6 or something at the very least, make it harder to get rid of in some way. 8 mana cards are supposed to damn near win the game if they resolve, while this sets you up to do it, you then need to follow it up with yet more chunks of mana. Perhaps something that reduces its cost. This could play into the flavor of being devoted to this cthulhu style fucks and pulling them in from beyond.

>instant speed languish for 1 more mana with an escalate upside
Pushed but god damn it would I play with this card.

>6
cute application and powerful

>7
Hm, I know there's plenty of precedent for the produce extra black, but 5 cost "double all your mana" just doesn't feel right in black. I kind of feel that black is supposed to use urborg in order to be rewarded with maximum value for its B mana doublers. This doing both in one feels wrong. Black doubles its mana because it loves itself. It rewards you for being heavily black. Crypt ghast, that one liliana, cabal coffers, they only care about your black mana because that's the only kind of mana doubling black should do. The only thing I would say is to up the cost to 6 and/or include more B symbols because this effect at 5 is green's territory.
>>
File: Snuff.png (234KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Snuff.png
234KB, 375x523px
>>
File: Remit.png (207KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Remit.png
207KB, 375x523px
>>
>>53240590
So it's useless turn 1 and probably useless turn 2 outside of having played things like experiment one but becomes very oppresive later on.

While I appreciate cards who manage to get value at different points in the game, I think the variance here might be too high. Perhaps something along the lines of making it cost 1U then having a base of having to pay 1 then +1 for each counter on your stuff.

>>53240608
Isn't that art already in use? And man this feels like it's pushing it again. I appreciate the effort but I can't fully get behind the execution. I feel that if white is going to counter it should have to be countering things that target things you control / give your opponent a realistic out. Mana tithe I feel works because it's a small tax, white likes taxing. Lapse of certainty kind of works because it gives it right back to them in the honorabru white fashion.

Now, this is literally just mana tithe that costs 1 more, and the fateful hour makes it feel like white's penchant for divine intervention and retribution. However, I go back to how, outside of those two examples, if white is going to counter things, it needs to be things that are targeting its stuff. I feel like changing this up so it counters target spell or ability targeting something you control unless its controller pays something would make it more palatable.

That said, I still doubt wizards would ever really explore this avenue. White is already the jack of all trades color (along with black) where it go with pretty much any game plan. Like I said before, protection from _ and indestructible fill the role of white's counter spells so giving actual counter spells to it on top of that is probably going too far. Especially if those counterspells don't only apply to things that target. Sorry if rambling.
>>
File: RM09 Essence Wielder.jpg (41KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
RM09 Essence Wielder.jpg
41KB, 375x523px
>>53239680
>cute though probably costs itself out of ever seeing play
Think I should reduce the unearth cost? 1BB?
>04
That's fair. I can buff it up, maybe reduce its cost.
>05
Too pushed, do you think? Would it be better at 4BB?
>07
I'll push it up to 4BB.
>>53239142
I really hope that isn't supposed to be a one-drop. Also, no ascend? On your ascend mythic? Why?
>>53239169
Red copying enchantments feels super off.
>>53239373
Minor wording issues aside, I feel like this cares about too many variables. I'd pick color or card type, not both.
>>53240590
I agree that this is too swingy. The alteration suggested by >>53240798 is a good place to start.
>>53240608
I've never been a fan of white counterspells. Blue gets to interact with spells because it isn't good at interacting with permanents. White, on the other hand, is one of the colors that's best at interacting with permanents, so it also getting spell interaction doesn't make sense.
>>
File: Yawgmoths Persistence.jpg (45KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Yawgmoths Persistence.jpg
45KB, 375x523px
As I was looking through the suspend cards I noticed that black's rare seemed to have the weakest of the spells by comparison. So I decided to make a new black suspend spell. What I like about mine is that you can't just combo it with a cascade effect because if you're playing it in a storm deck (or any deck that wants a yawgmoth's will effect) you will more than likely hit a ritual effect instead which incentives you to actually suspend it. It may still be too powerful and the wording might need to be fixed, but I thought it was a cool idea.
>>
File: Elvesith Dark Covenant.jpg (40KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Elvesith Dark Covenant.jpg
40KB, 375x523px
>>
>>53240898
Yeah, 1bb should work.
k
k
Personally I'd go with 3BBB as it means you HAVE to have plenty of black sources already to really earn the extra black mana. But the difference is minor enough that I can say you do you.

Why shouldn't it be a 1 drop? It sits there as an enchantment and does nothing until you poor more mana into it. I could see the case for upping either it's casting cost or glyph counter placing ability by 1.

Fair enough, I'd probably go with color as that's more likely to hit.

I'm thinking that my enemy color sac set is becoming unwieldy. I'm thinking of taking my ascend mechanic and ideas revolving around evoke to a RUG vs WB set (possibly a bit of G or U in the WB faction.)

I'm considering transformation as a theme within the RUG faction to reflect the ascend in WB.
I have some ideas for how to do it, something like
>Whenever you cast a spell with converted mana cost higher than ~'s, transform ~.
or
>If there are three or more counters on ~, transform it.
The first has play with things like evoke and a mechanic I'm thinking of that'd basically be the reverse of overload, or something like flashback, or something like evoke for instants/sorceries. The second could bring in the previous mutant +1/+1 synergy as well as having cute synergy with glyph counters.

Also perhaps a smattering of subfaction cards that subtly synergize with both but break their color alignment. Like, the WB faction would care about passive play and enchantments but there could be a handful of cards in W/R that like aggressive auras. Just stuff like that.

Think I'm in a better place here than I was with that previous set?
>>
>>53240990
That's a cool idea unfortunately I really think that Devour is reserved for more monstrous cards. For flavor reason I'd change it to say that you sac dudes on cast or etb then get the counters. Or maybe I'm just wrong.
>>
>>53240973
I appreciate what you're trying to do but I think trying to fix yawgmoth's will is a fool's errand. That said, they tried this same approach with the equally broken Balance so, while I doubt this would ever see print anywhere, I at least kinda like it.

>>53240990
I dig it yo. Would build mono B commander deck around.
>>
>>53241072
I mostly did it to conserve space on the card.
>>
>>53241049
>Think I'm in a better place here than I was with that previous set?
I'd have to see some examples before I could decide that, man. It sounds like you have some interesting ideas, though.
>>
>>53241120
You're absolutely right that it isn't very viable. I just figured that for the suspends blue got Ancestral Recall, red got Wheel, white got Balance, and green got Eureka I wanted to give black a card that had a similar power level even if it does see no play.
>>
>>53241208
The funny thing is, despite black's not being the thoroughly busted effects, living end is the only one of the "suspend so it's fixed" that sees play (not counting hypergenesis because banned). I guess visions sees a smattering (or has its modern turn out increased?)

>>53241190
AH MOTHER FUCKIN SHIT DAMN. Suspend could be a cool way of utilizing that first transform idea I had AND playing into the flavor of both the temur and orzhob factions. Though I think suspend might be a bit played out in these threads thanks to you. You and your well crafted sets and helpful advice, you disgust me. That and I'd probably rather utilize one of my own ideas, derivative tough they may be. Also plays into X cost spells so that's neat.
>>
File: choo choo.jpg (390KB, 1875x523px) Image search: [Google]
choo choo.jpg
390KB, 1875x523px
>>
>>53241468
Flavor is quite cute.

I don't know how to evaluate these because I haven't played with vehicles much, but what experience I do have says these are probably okay and I like their designs.
>>
>>53240990
It's creepy how much your symbol resembles a set symbol I used to use long ago. The name looks like "Elven" and "Sith" mashed together. Dunno if that was intentionally humorous, but I smiled. It's hard to say how balanced this is since you already have to have the mana to cast it, and to get good value from it, you have to clear your board pretty heavily, but I think it might be okay. Certainly flavorful from the "human sacrifice = summoning a huge demon" standpoint, since that's what it'd likely lead to.

>>53240973
Yawgmoth's Will is so damn warping I dunno if trying to "do it right" or something is a good idea. Still, at least they see it coming here and can plan accordingly.

>>53240898
This feels like too much body for that ability and cost. It's deathtouch+ and scales off itself, so it's very efficient and 4 toughness outraces most other 3-drops. I'd dial it back a bit. It's not like it has to even swing to get itself going either, so the risk is very low.

>>53240608
>white counterspells
Not something I'm on board with. I'd see them in black or red before white.

>>53240590
Thirding that it's too swingy, for what it's worth.

>>53239373
I'd make this noncreature spells myself. Or even go all the way to instant or sorcery spells only.

>>53239170
>RB01
I think WotC would make this "target creature defending player controls" for the -2/-2. Player expectations, yadda yadda. Otherwise seems fine to me.
>RB02
I think this needs to work more like Necrotic Ooze because as worded, it has those abilities even when in the yard at the moment, if I'm not mistaken. Though maybe that's a feature, not a bug?
>RB03
I actually think the Unearth on this can be more aggressive. Otherwise Bloodghast/10.
>RB04
Usually black punishes others casting spells, so this feels a bit odd to me.
>RB05
I like. Lots. Pointless feedback is pointless but still.
>RB06
Clever. Scales but slower at the start than Sign in Blood so should be fine.
>RB07
I think this can be cheaper maybe.
>>
File: Brainiac4.jpg (46KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Brainiac4.jpg
46KB, 375x523px
Apparently the Injustice 2 storyline is complete garbage filler that just repeats the "Batman good, Superman bad" mantra ad nauseam (ie, more than zero). What a shame. Oh well. Anyway, Brainiac. Emphasizing his "collector and destroyer" aspect here. Gotta say, really loved the idea of him being the reason Krypton was destroyed. Totally fits the character and makes his relationship with Superman more personal as well.
>>
File: Orphian Initiate.png (243KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Orphian Initiate.png
243KB, 375x523px
>>53241665
Considering he takes people/things over and controls them, this works fairly well. Is he really that beefy though? And honestly, the copy ability feels too expensive for how spendy he already is. I realize cheating him out is a thing, but same with the Eldrazi and that doesn't stop them from being super powerful. I dunno, that's just a LOT of mana to spend.
>Coluan
Wut? I thought he was just a super computer with a body. I had to look this up. Well that's kind of a letdown, actually.

>>53239169
It being temporary kind of gives it a pass but I feel like it's still sort of odd and wants to be RW.

>>53241468
These are just really weird. I didn't really have much to do with Kaladesh so I have trouble gauging Vehicles and their potential costs. I do know you want them to typically offer more power or utility than you could get with whatever you're tapping to get them online though.
>>
>>53241665
>create a token that is a copy of target permanent card with converted mana cost X exiled with Brainiac, except it's an artifact in addition to its other types.

Also, jesus fucking christ this guy is expensive. 9 mana for anything better say "win the game". Were I making this, I'd make his CMC something like 5 and give him an okay body. That's comparable to an annihilator dude. And it's not like his other ability is easy to break so the body needs to have a cost to compensate. After all, you have to poor loads of mana into that ability. If you're worried about it being too abusable you could always include a tap cost. Or make him only able to hit nonlands, or, if you really want to nerf him, have the cards return when he leaves. So yeah, if you want this guy to even be playable in commander that CMC needs to be be tanked OR if you want to keep the ludicrously high CMC and body, give him protection and make that activated ability cheaper (this comes with the downside of it being something other creatures can then obtain... unless you make it a triggered ability somehow)
>>
>>53241841
I should probably actually dial this back a notch to a 1/1 and +1/+1. I guess I should have thought about it longer.
>>
>>53241919
probably
nice flavor text by the way. I have a thing for proverb and idiom flavortexts

Lot of surprisingly good flavortext in these threads by the way. Even on official cards it's often cringey.
>>
>>53239170
>RB01
Odd ability. OK I suppose, though Menace feels a bit off here.

>RB02
Eh, feels like it might be too good.

>RB03
I dunno, part of me just feels like it's overcomplicated. Why not just the standard recurring 2/1 that plays into your set's mechanics naturally? Recur on spending 5 or more mana on a spell maybe?

>RB04
Interesting. Might be overcosted, hard to tell.

>RB05
Huh. Not really sure about this.

>RB06
Dunno about this one. Interesting ideas, but I'm not sure about using Convoke to get around the downside.

>RB07
Very interesting. No idea on cost, but I really think you should keep an eye on it.

>>53239373
I can't even really tell what the applications of this are. I feel like the only time the card would be cast is when it would really fuck over the first player.

>>53240608
Oh come on. Since when does having a low life total justify breaking the color pie? If you want to make White counters, at least try to make them fit White's philosophy.

>>53240898
Yeezus this ramps like crazy. Pure card advantage. I honestly think the entire card needs to be redesigned unless you want to jack up the cost.

>>53240990
I like the idea, just not sure if this is the best way to go about it. Devour just feels kinda off here.
>>
>>53241964
Yeah I was thinking about Guul Draz Vampire when I made it and how black gets 1/2s at common with upsides now and just kinda derped my way into doing both which was too much. Glad the flavor text works though. I'm normally bad at it. The mechanic works like it does because I was thinking about Delirium and Threshold and what kinds of variants could exist. Also that I like making commons and should make more of them as practice.
>>
>>53242018
>what the applications of this are
Chaos more than anything. I originally intended for it to only work when the first spell is cast from hand, which, in retrospect I should probably go back to. Because that would mean your opponent tries to play cards and you get a card, so, in theory, it could be a kind of red card draw. But yeah, it has no real applications, it's just wacky. Probably annoying, but wacky.
>>
>>53241841
>>53241863
>Brainiac
I'm hugely indecisive when it comes to what bodies go to which characters, to be completely honest. Will tone down, along with mana cost. Unsure of how to change the activated ability to make it more usable. If I change it to just X, it opens up abuse with CMC 0 cards, like lands obviously. I guess I could have them ETB tapped though. Or I could just make it a flat cost. How expensive should endless token copies be? 2WUB? More?

>Coluan
This is another case of "Depending on the Writer". Brainiac's origins vary quite a bit depending on which story you read. Sometimes he's an alien, other times he's a computer, other times he's a circus freak being possessed by the original Brainiac, somehow. This version of him I'm making with the idea that he's a cyborg alien from Colu.

>Orphian Initiate
Odd card. Interesting idea though. But I think I'd make it uncommon.
>>
File: Brainiacs Possession.jpg (40KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Brainiacs Possession.jpg
40KB, 375x523px
And another crazy card, why not?
>>
>>53242132
Honestly I kinda liked your Sen Triplets idea you had going before, but obviously "with a twist" would be better. If you want to stick with this, I'd tone it down to cost about 6 mana (3WUB) for a 4/4 or 4/5 and make the copy only affect nonland stuff. An interesting take might be to make the copy cost a tap, then allow you to not untap him and you keep the copy as long as you keep him tapped down to represent him having to exert himself to control said copy? I dunno.

>Initiate
As said above I toned it down to a 1/1 and +1/+1 and menace on the ability. Should scale more in line now with Guul Draz Vamp, which is also a common (and one of my favorites to boot).
>>
>>53242353
Thanks for the feedback. I actually did adjust the cost to 3WUB, and I think I'll take your idea of only copying nonland stuff. Still not really sure on how to cost that ability though. I'll mull it over. As for your suggestion about tapdown, I might use something like that for another card I was having trouble with.

>Initiate
Should be fine then. And yeah, I also like the original Zen vamps, especially the ones with the Bloodied mechanic. Which reminds me of the first time I learned just how powerful recursion can be, when I get my ass handed to me by a full playset of Bloodghasts. Goddamn that was a short game.
>>
File: Malfeasance.png (225KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Malfeasance.png
225KB, 375x523px
>>
>>53242517
>turn 2 hard counter
>usually gets somewhat worse as the game goes on but is almost always going to be a stronger mana leak that costs 2 life.
I don't think this card is too powerful but boy does it knock on that door.
>>
File: Forceful Will.jpg (31KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Forceful Will.jpg
31KB, 375x523px
I was thinking the other day about Force of Will. I remember what someone said about it being used in tournaments, though I forget the format, I'm pretty sure it was one of the eternal ones. Anyway, his comment basically broke down to the idea that whenever a completely broken, degenerate combo comes around (eg. Grindstone + Painter's Servant), Force of Will is there to save the day by preventing the combo from really forming. And then I thought about other card games. I just had the idea of a card game that made a free counter like FoW early in the game's lifecycle specifically for this reason, so that whatever state the game was in, there was always this sort of "panic button" card. I dunno if any of that makes sense or not.

Anyway, I guess at the end of the day I want this to be a free counter that is similar to FoW in terms of power, if not as powerful as FoW. Name sucks, I know, I'm not very good at names.
>>
>>53242705
The oldest formats are legacy and vintage.

As for your card... well I'm almost certain it wouldn't be printed in a standard set. That said, I kind of wish force of will were this instead as it would maybe mean the format isn't almost entirely made of decks that run the same FoW + cantrips package that consumes half their deck. As for it's power level, obviously way less powerful than force as it eats an extra card in a game where card advantage is king.

Now as for that philosophy, I'm not sure how I feel about it. I know that in the case of something like MTG, just printing fair cards isn't going to cut it. There will eventually come some fucked up interaction. I mean, who would have imagined there are 2 different decks that run 1 or less lands which, without something like FOW or hate cards would dominate the most powerful formats. But, I also have an issue with printing op cards for the sake of preventing future fuck ups... but since those fuck ups are inevitable as you explore interesting design space this kind of thing or intense bannings become a necessity... or just scrapping that load of bullshit like wotc has essentially done to the eternal formats.

Basically I just wish things like fow weren't a necessary evil.
>>
File: youth cycle.jpg (458KB, 1875x523px) Image search: [Google]
youth cycle.jpg
458KB, 1875x523px
>>53242425
Looking forward to seeing what you do with Brainiac.
>Bloodghasts/recursion
Yeah that's why such creatures are usually small or the recursion is expensive or has hoops you need to jump through. It's the same thing as having extra cards but they don't dilute your deck.

>>53242517
Yeah I dunno about this. It's pretty borderline. I think it'd actually see constructed play for sure, so if that's your goal, you got it. I don't think it'd see print though.

>>53242705
I just don't think FoW is a good idea and honestly the fact that it's necessary to keep the game healthy says bad things about the game (or at least the formats where it's necessary). This eats three cards (two plus the spell itself) so it's probably balanced especially since they are have to be nonland cards. So I am basically on the same page with this as >>53242851.

Took me for goddamn ever to find art for these. Had them made in 5 minutes but I have a LOT of art to sift through. I should really organize it better.
>>
>>53243270
Up the damage on reckless to be a shock. Right now it's by far the worst of the cycle
>>
>>53243295
I was worried that a shock was too good since it can hit face and creatures, and it'd outshine Nefarious too much.
>>
>>53243295
>>53243432
Oh, I also wanted to say I wanted to have Nefarious make a Skeleton token instead, but also figured that was too good.
>>
>>53243445
You already have the green one ramping you.
>>
>>53243469
Green usually gets the short end of the stick in cycles like this so I decided to make it the best one. So you think I can get away with a token? Huh. Well, I'll see if anyone else chimes in.
>>
>>53243270
Cute, but unlikely to play well. Unless you play them turn 1, 1/1s are not getting through to become renowned.
>>
>>53243633
>1/1s are not getting through to become renowned.
Part of the point. That's why they are kinda pushed.
>>
File: entertain.jpg (333KB, 1500x523px) Image search: [Google]
entertain.jpg
333KB, 1500x523px
>>
File: Off Course.png (313KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Off Course.png
313KB, 375x523px
>>
File: Offer Tribute.png (258KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Offer Tribute.png
258KB, 375x523px
While we're taking control...
>>
File: Yawgmoths Influence.jpg (42KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Yawgmoths Influence.jpg
42KB, 375x523px
>>53240973
Your idea gave me an idea.
>>
File: 1459815054825.jpg (47KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
1459815054825.jpg
47KB, 375x523px
>>53244170
Reminds me of a card I did a while ago.
>>
>>53243920
These seem pretty good, though I don't understand the name of the BR one.
>>
File: The Warping Waltz.jpg (49KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
The Warping Waltz.jpg
49KB, 375x523px
I think this is about as elegant as I am able to make this.
>>
>>53246735
>fuck walls
Well, Mannichi was 2R and needed 1R, so maybe 2RR for this? Don't really know, kinda hard to judge. Also, I'm sorry, but I really hope you aren't planning on making this a mythic for a set, I just feel like the effect isn't really worthy of mythic status.
>>
>>53246735
At the beginning of each upkeep, switch each creature;s power and toughness until end of turn.
>>
>>53243519
>Green usually gets the short end of the stick in cycles like this

This is going to sound inflammatory, but I honestly truly mean it; are you fucking special or something? Green has been the most pushed color for the past 4-5 years and to not see that is just mind-blowing.

Anyways, I'm going to second the other guy. Make a 2/2 zombie and shock something.
>>
File: Wizards misreads its own card.png (438KB, 874x643px) Image search: [Google]
Wizards misreads its own card.png
438KB, 874x643px
>>53243519
Maybe it's just me, but I feel like Red's been pretty fucked over in the last few sets, at least in terms of cycles.
>>
File: Brainiac6.jpg (46KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Brainiac6.jpg
46KB, 375x523px
Changed to only hit nonlands, mana cost reduced to 3WUB, P/T reduced to 4/4, activated ability now costs WUB to get a token of any permanent exiled with Brainiac, and it's sorcery speed. Sorcery speed to try and prevent some abuse, for example, having to actually make sure Brainiac actually survives combat before you start making copies of whatever it exiled.
>>
File: Acolyte of the Phoenix.jpg (55KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Acolyte of the Phoenix.jpg
55KB, 375x523px
I really want to make a creature that changes from hasty 2 or 3 drop -> useless pile of ash -> flying hasty phoenix

I think my current wording is a little clunky, what do you think? BTW, I'm designing for cube hence the power level and lack of a rarity.
>>
>>53251619
Eh, I think just exiling it from your graveyard to make a Phoenix token would work just as well.
>>
>>53249212
I did find an article from 2016 that cites green as one of the strongest of the five colors from a Modern standpoint, but not "the most pushed" so I wonder what you base your claims on besides your own, unreliable observations.

Also, hot advice: what you said and what I said aren't mutually exclusive, so your little jab is pretty meaningless, all told. That said, the card stuff is all that matters so since you and the other anon feel the black one can get bumped up and the red one as well, I'll get on that fix, thanks.

>>53250423
You have a point; red does sometimes feel like it's getting shafted now that I think about it. I recall reading somewhere that red feels that way because WotC feels that such an aggressive, up front color doesn't get to be as "cute" as the other colors so their stuff often feels better than red's since red's is just direct, plain shit.

I remember that image too. I also recall laughing really hard.

>>53250520
This looks better to me. It actually feels usable now.

>>53251619
So Deathpact Angel in red? Eh. I think something that functions more like Embalm, but instead exiles the Acolyte from the yard and makes a Phoenix token, like >>53251943 suggests, is the better option.
>>
File: Green Arrows Chili.jpg (61KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Green Arrows Chili.jpg
61KB, 375x523px
Silly uncommon. Wondering if this would make more sense as a nonpermanent spell. Or maybe even give negative toughness.

Flavor text belongs to, respectively, Martian Manhunter, Green Lantern, The Flash, and Batman.
>>
>>53253720
To be fair to Wizards, I can see why they're wary of making cheap burn. Cheap burn and you can knock down an opponent's life total while making sure their creatures are never a threat to you or your own. I just feel like they go a bit overboard with it at times. Though I don't even play Magic that much, so I could be wrong.
>>
>>53254643
Missing an "enchant creature" there but other than that, i agree you might want to try negative toughness. Makes it useful as a removal spell too, since that might outright kill the creature, or at least make it weak enough to block and kill, especially if it's something that wouldn't normally attack like a Beguiler of Will or something.

>>53255491
I feel like they've been trying to slow the game down over the course of the last few years, and I don't think I'm alone in that sentiment. I'm up the same river as you though; I don't play much anymore, so I could be wrong.
>>
>>53251943
>>53253720
How about this? I'd rather not use exile, since I want this to feel like something that could keep coming back over and over even though each token requires a few hoops to jump through (6 mana, having a creature die, missing out on a draw)
>>
File: Acolyte of the Phoenix.jpg (52KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Acolyte of the Phoenix.jpg
52KB, 375x523px
>>53256204
Oops forgot my pic
>>
>>53256236
One thing I forgot to ask before was: Why not just make it a Phoenix? Really, what benefit is there in making it a Human when you so obviously want it to be a Phoenix? In which case you could just make the activated ability return the card to the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter or two on it.
>>
File: Accelerate and Kill.jpg (37KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Accelerate and Kill.jpg
37KB, 375x523px
>>
>>53256236
>>53256204
>I want this to feel like something that could keep coming back over and over
Okay, that's fair. Phoenixes seem to either go straight from the graveyard to the battlefield, or go from the yard to the hand, depending.
>having a creature die
Easily done since it's 2/1; not really a hoop.
>missing out on a draw
A big reason I think doing it this way is a bad idea. Red already has problems with running out of steam late-game, so it needs all the help it can get. I would rather this went back to your hand from the yard, then you had to cast it again. Firewing Phoenix could be useful as a model to follow here. Keep the casting cost and stuff as you have it. Then, change the return ability to be more expensive, since you're recurring a card AND getting a token (I'd suggest 4RR here, possibly as low as 3RR but that's pretty pushed) and have the Acolyte end up in your hand instead of on top of the library.
>>
>>53256278
I'd really like for the base body be a 2 drop with haste, and making it a Phoenix would require flying, and a 2 drop flying haste creature would probably end up too powerful. Plus, I really like the art.
>>
>>53256429
Fair point about running out of steam. At 4RR, do you think the token should have haste?
>>
>>53256519
I think you could manage that.
>>
File: homage examples 1.jpg (158KB, 750x523px) Image search: [Google]
homage examples 1.jpg
158KB, 750x523px
Here are some extremely basic ideas I have for a new mechanic. They absolutely would not have to be so simple or limited by what the card itself does but these I think get the idea across. Dozens of ideas based around an something like this but I think it's at a good place here... maybe...

Perhaps "Homage a(n) [card type]" so I can do more with it, including things like casting cost which is a subtheme in the set. Though that may get too complicated.
>>
File: These Hands.jpg (42KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
These Hands.jpg
42KB, 375x523px
Do ya
>>
>>53257467
I'll smorc your gob mate.
>>
>>53257464
I assume these are just mockups and not intended to be balanced at all, so I won't go into that. I think that Homage <card type> is better than what you have here, because it lets you Homage Instants on a blue creature, Enchantments on a white creature, etc. Just a bit more flexible. That said, it's going to be really hard to balance, because it's a massive upswing in utility. Basically what you have here is a better Splice mechanic, if it had a baby with Flashback in a drunken stupor. I have to admit though, plain Homage does look better on a card than Homage instant or Homage creature. I guess we'll see what other people think. I think you should try it out a bit on some cards so we get an idea what you'll do with it.

>>53257467
>that second ability
You can do this with Forecast and it'd be just as funny.
>>
File: homage examples 2.jpg (314KB, 1500x523px) Image search: [Google]
homage examples 2.jpg
314KB, 1500x523px
>>53257664
I agree with everything you said.

I like this format for homaging better. and yeah, it kind of takes elements from splice, flashback, haunt, aftermath, I had ideas for how it might be like "champion a _". It's been all over the place but I think it's pretty rad.

Now the question is, should it go back to requiring it to be on spells?
>>
File: download (2).jpg (618KB, 1550x1076px) Image search: [Google]
download (2).jpg
618KB, 1550x1076px
>>
File: RM05 Æthershaper Spirit.jpg (53KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
RM05 Æthershaper Spirit.jpg
53KB, 375x523px
>>53242018
>>53241535
Thank you for the feedback. I'll take your comments into consideration as I continue to tweak things.
>>53241307
>Suspend could be a cool way of utilizing that first transform idea I had AND playing into the flavor of both the temur and orzhov factions.
If you wanna use suspend and transform, man, go for it!
>>53257464
>>53257949
I agree with >>53257664 that Homage [type] is better, but I'm not sure if I'm sold on it. It reminds me a lot of haunt, and haunt is not something I think you want your ability to be compared to.
>>
>>53257949
>bc01
Not really "homage", is it? Flavor starts to go awry if you do stuff like this.

I thought the point of Homage <type> was going to be that you could have different types homage each other? What you have here is just what you already had, pretty much. Also, something I didn't consider till now is that there's going to be some design space limiting issues given that the keyword isn't self-contained. Maybe make it more like Bloodrush? An ability word that basically mirrors what the card does, or some aspect of it, and staples it onto another spell? Only out of the yard, obviously. That gives you more clearance to make cards like bc01, without it seeming off somehow. Maybe also change the name to boot, to something that fits an effect that can be harmful or beneficial?
>>
>>53258012
seems okay

I like the plus, the - is interesting and should probably make them 1/4s because an armageddon + boardwipe just resets the game and you need a way to actually win from that position or it's just shitty and miserable for both players.

interesting design just not sure sure why you'd use it.

ah fuck. I like it

I like it

I'd probably word it as Equipped creature has, "If a creature dealt damage by this creature this turn would die, exile that creature instead."

and ALL planeswalkers.

return UP TO one. But more importantly, WHEN do you do that?
>>
>>53239142
Associating rules text with counters is bad form.
>>53239169
Remove last line of text. 10/10. Excellent design.
>>53239170
05 undercosted. Compare to Languish.

I'm a fairly experienced L1 and I'm unsure if "amount of mana" works how you want to. Bad sign.
>>53240608
Non-Creature, 1 mana would make me like it more from developmental standpoint.
>>53241665
The card is arguably weaker than Crusher of Ulamog. Compare to It That Betrays to see the concept done better.
>>53241841
Hello super-Delver. Broken.
>>53242341
Neat. Might be frustrating to play against though. Make card cost 7?
>>53243270
Uncommon, make Red and Blue do something else. Impulse-exile-draw for red and loot for blue? Very cool cycle.
>>53243920
Resistance cool. Force bad.
>>53244469
Don't put "you lose the game" on a card.
>>53250423
Disagree
>>53250520
Seems very strong. Fails the Jace test though, so might be fine.
>>53257464
Restricting it to spells seems to reduce already big complexity.
>>
File: Grasp of Shores.png (169KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Grasp of Shores.png
169KB, 375x523px
>>
>>53258331
Broken.
>>
>>53258302
>05 undercosted. Compare to Languish.
I've since adjusted it.
>I'm a fairly experienced L1 and I'm unsure if "amount of mana" works how you want to. Bad sign.
I'm not sure what you mean. It should work exactly as I intended it to; I referenced precedent cards for wording as well as the comp rules regarding convoke during its design.
>>
File: Prayer of Fields.png (149KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Prayer of Fields.png
149KB, 375x523px
>>53258349
For what format? Should it cost 1 or 2 or 3 more and be rare?
>>
File: Why do i do this to myself.jpg (3MB, 2250x3661px) Image search: [Google]
Why do i do this to myself.jpg
3MB, 2250x3661px
Im so sorry
>>
>>53258331
>Starting turn 3 or 4 it's probably a 1U hard counter
Not sure how to feel about it but I don't think it's broken.

>>53258412
parasitism.jpg
>>
>>53258302
Was wondering when you'd meander back in here.

>>53258331
>>53258393
Oh Jesus Fucking Christ why are YOU namefagging now? And yeah, Grasp is broken and Prayer is... well if it's a modal spell, it needs wording work. Also totally broken.
>>
>>53239080
>{X}{B}
>enchantment - curse
>at every upkeep, put X fit counters on this card. Enchanted player must perform one pushup for every fit counter attached to this card or pay X life.
>>
>>53258412
I like hot chicks as much as the next neckbeard, but I can't say it saves most of these cards. I remember this "temptation counter" thing from a long time ago and I don't think I care for it. I mean cards like Fantasize could just say "Target creature can't block this turn draw a card" and be the same damn thing, barring counters-matter stuff which I don't care for since they don't do anything on their own.
>>
>>53258302
>associating rules text with counters is bad form
I know I know. Thankfully, the reminder text could feasibly be put into rules text. That said, since I'm probably abandoning my old set and moving ascend to a set that's going to have transformations, I wonder if I should just give in and have it transform the dudes. Rinah here for instance would just be an enchantment that flips when it doesn't have any glyph counters on it.

I'm considering swapping >>53257949 back to spells, what do you think of the slight variance in direction?
>>
File: Stench of Sloughs.png (201KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Stench of Sloughs.png
201KB, 375x523px
>>53258473
This is literally the first time I've posted here. I also don't think the incentive is there to play monocolored decks to a degree that breaks Prayer, templating aside. It's never more than a 1-for-1 outside magical christmas land, what's broken about it?
>>
>>53258578
>having two basic Plains is a magical christmas land scenario
I implore you to reconsider.
>Sloughs
This is actually fine. It could actually probably be 3B since it's just a worse Corrupt.
>>
File: Crush of Hills.png (238KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Crush of Hills.png
238KB, 375x523px
>>53258671
Is there a particular ability that pushes it over?
>>
>>53258561
yes its clunky and stupid
and i should probably kill myself but before i do
is it at least balanced even a little bit
>>
>>53258302
>Brainiac
>the Jace test
Never heard of this before, but I read up on it using Google. Very interesting, thanks for mentioning this.

>Brainiac's Possession
Thanks, glad you like it. Will up cost to 7.

>Hello super-Delver. Broken.
Not that anon, but he already changed the design to 1/1 that gets +1/+1 and gains menace when the condition is met.
>>
>>53258754
It's just the level of value you can get out of it. Consider it in Limited where you can and will be mostly using basic lands. Less choices and a "scaling ceiling" would help bring it back down.
>crush
This is borderline. Saccing three mountains, depending on how cheap and fast red is in the set, could be fine for you, but completely wipe your opponent out. At 5 mana, that's a valid concern. But I am loathe to say it's "broken". It's certainly pushed though.
>>
>>53258671
>having two basic plains, a creature that already trades, and an opponent with no tricks

Card should cost WW and have +1/+1 as a mode because it's only good in limited as is, where it's OP.
>>
File: Varek Vengeance Seeker.jpg (42KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Varek Vengeance Seeker.jpg
42KB, 375x523px
>>
>>53258988
Cool card but it doesn't feel Jeskai. Maybe Temur? Not sure. Almost feels 4-color.
>>
>>53258412
Im sorry you spent time on this.
Erase all the temptation shits and you might have something here. Thralls and Offers look like fun.
>>
File: Aura Cycle.jpg (366KB, 1875x523px) Image search: [Google]
Aura Cycle.jpg
366KB, 1875x523px
What do you think about this cycle?
>>
File: Seals.jpg (196KB, 1125x523px) Image search: [Google]
Seals.jpg
196KB, 1125x523px
Also, seals.
>>
>>53260581
What is it supposed to be a cycle of?
>>
File: Hemimetabolism.jpg (42KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Hemimetabolism.jpg
42KB, 375x523px
And lastly.
>>
>>53260607
2 cmc auras that you really want to enchant on your opponent creatures.

Clean Sight and Mana Irradiation had that Rancor-like recycle, but they got too wordy.
>>
>>53260647
>an aura becoming blocked
>>
File: Hemimetabolism.jpg (43KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Hemimetabolism.jpg
43KB, 375x523px
>>53260840
lel
>>
File: Multiplex.png (226KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Multiplex.png
226KB, 375x523px
>>
File: Danton Black Multiplex5.jpg (44KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Danton Black Multiplex5.jpg
44KB, 375x523px
>>53261132
Hey!

But in all seriousness, no idea how to judge the card. If it had some sort of upside for you, then sure, but as-is, I'm not sure how often it'd be used. Well, maybe on downside creatures?
>>
>>53261173
...Wait, why did I make this card WU? Oh, holdover of one of the previous versions. I'll just make it mono-U.
>>
>>53240608
I like this card but see other complaints... my suggestion? Make it UW instead of 1W and make it counter unless they pay 3 not 1. Now it's basically mana leak but the W gives it fateful hour.
>>
File: RM01 Lead Strategist.jpg (46KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
RM01 Lead Strategist.jpg
46KB, 375x523px
Unsure of the wording and formatting on this one, or of the amount the +N/+N effect should give.
>>53261173
Should probably cost more with that exponential growth. Also, you have an extra s on token.
>>
>>53258390
ill trust you in saying that
>>53258393
all of them
make it cost 2uu or 3uu
>>53258578
Tendrils of Agony
>>53258754
Nooope. Armageddon is this but cleaner.
>>53260581
Clean Sight is cool, Mana Irradiation is utter garbage. Compare with Druids' Repository design wise.
>>53260647
no math pls
>>53261132
I'm sure someone breaks this. Cool.
>>
>>53261621
>no math pls

MaRo was right.
>>
File: Mindscaper.png (220KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Mindscaper.png
220KB, 375x523px
>>53261571
I'm assuming the red part of this is the justification for the dash-like bounce effect. It reads fine to me so I dunno what changes you might need to make. The +3/+3 ability seems a bit much to me, but the card is 5 mana so I'm loathe to say it's too good. Part of me wants to suggest +3/+0 or +2/+2 but I really think it needs playtesting first.
>>
>>53261132
Leveler! Braids! Steel Golem! Blazing Archon! This card is excellent. Hehehehe.
>>
>>53262393
>>53261621
>double feedback on the same card
Way to hide your power level sport.
>>
File: Mana Irradiation.jpg (45KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Mana Irradiation.jpg
45KB, 375x523px
>>53261621
New version of Mana Irradiation. Now with critters and recyling itself.
>>
Okay, so I've now realized that my idea for homage ultimately just boiled down to aftermath.

I have like 20 or more half baked ideas on where to go with it so if anyone wants to look at them I could pastebin it.

My current idea, which I like but which might as well just be called imprint, is to exile an instant or sorcery (probably of a specified CMC) as something ETBs then have a <cost> T effect that casts a copy of it. But then panoptic mirror is basically that and making an entire mechanic of it will inevitably break it AND the fact that it eats its own resource like how Delve does.

I want to incorporate some idea of "Honoring it" or "It honoring something else" and I really want to get aspects of one card onto another... but I've had ideas that have similarities with everything from splice, to haunt, to transmute, and cycling and I'm not happy with any of them.

How do people feel about an enchantment convoke / improvise? Because imma probably gonna do it.
>>
File: ccg in a nutshell.png (142KB, 340x270px) Image search: [Google]
ccg in a nutshell.png
142KB, 340x270px
>>53262625
>I have like 20 or more half baked ideas on where to go with it so if anyone wants to look at them I could pastebin it.
What the hell, post them. Might make for interesting conversation. Or some great lulz like pic related.
>>
>>53262677
https://pastebin.com/WuH0MsXa
I'm not editing this shit to make it more convenient. I'm too damn tired.

And note that the vast majority of these ideas are scrapped stream of consciousness so no need to yell at me for bad ideas
>>
>>53262461
nah I just thought about it some more and came to realize how much I loved the card.
>>53262554
It's just a bad pacifism. There's already a really cool bad pacifism in green, it's called Utopia Wov.
>>
>>53262711
>"Please no bully."
No promises!
>>
>>53262711
>>53262746
Well, that was boring. I figured you'd have mechanically diverse keywords, not just the same pseudo-Flashback/Retrace mechanic repeated with minor variatiosn.
>>
>>53262792
Like I said, I've thrown away a lot of stuff and kept trying to find a variance that works. That pastebin is basically a wastepaper basket. I just realized I probably completely deleted like 5 totall different base ideas for a mechanic along these lines... I should keep even better notes.

Kill me twice so I can sleep in peace, away from these failings. too tired to think
>>
>>53262712
Utopia Wov can't return itself from the graveyard. Also, it doesn't actually stop the creature from attacking or blocking. You can use it in your own creature with no downsides.
>>
>>53262848
It's OK man, mechanics are hard. Just keep at it, I'm sure you can eventually come up with something that sticks.

>Kill me twice so I can sleep in peace, away from these failings. too tired to think
Goodnight, sweet prince. I look forward to torturing you again in the morning.
>>
>>53262848
>>53262928
Hm, speaking of stream of consciousness.

How about combining my shitty ideas into one super shitty one? I wanted to do "underload" (the reverse of overload. Would probably actually call it "Focus") but figured that was pointless except for the possible slight CMC matters in my set. What if the front half was a big powerful card and the cast from grave version was the small focused version?

Worth exploring or just a boring "cast from grave" instant / sorcery mechanic?

I've realized that I really fucking love discard mechanics, and a lot of my ideas for different bases for this involve discarding a card or exiling a spell or something... was the instant and sorcery version of emerge in that pastebin or any of the other things that have a vague similarity to emerge or were those purged?
>>
File: Empty Quarter.png (248KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Empty Quarter.png
248KB, 375x523px
>>
>>53263028
why is it empty if the deserts are getting populated with dudes?
>>
File: Spitting Image.jpg (52KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Spitting Image.jpg
52KB, 375x523px
>>53262958
One of the problems with being able to recur instant and sorcery spells is that they go straight back to the grave after they resolve, unless you make them exile themselves. IIRC, Wizards didn't really like how Retrace worked, because it just lead to games where the same spells were cast over and over again. Really, Flashback is probably the best way to handle instant and sorcery recursion. I suppose you could do Dredge, but... that's more Dredge. I suppose you could try for a Retrace variant that calls for creature sac or something similar, but you could very easily just run into the same problems Retrace had. I suppose you could do the rejected Hieroglyphics mechanic, but it just makes draw instead of doing anything that relates to the actual card that's getting exiled.
>>
>>53258412
>why do i do this to myself.jpg

But you're not just doing it to yourself anymore.
You've inflicted it on all of us.
>>
>>53263113
I know I know all that, it's why making grave mechanics is such a fucking fucker fuck since everything that can reasonably be done is just "make a grave varient of some existing mechanic" or is already done. There's some guy making a pirates thread in here that took that heiroglyphics and I told him to make it loot instead so it fuels more shenanigans and keeps power level in check. I would do that but he's using it and it has no synergy with other stuff I'm doing.
How about something that exiles [card type] while casting to do some effect?
>>
>>53258988
I'd say UBR or just UB.
>>
File: Bette Kane Flamebird3.jpg (51KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Bette Kane Flamebird3.jpg
51KB, 375x523px
Ping replaced with pump, damage ability simplified to Meglonoth's mechanic.

>>53263192
>How about something that exiles [card type] while casting to do some effect?
How does that fix anything? As far as I can tell, it'll have all the same problems as Retrace.

>other stuff I'm doing.
Well, what is the other stuff you're doing?
>>
>>53263179
Misery loves company. Well, at least it's not as bad as the Pokemon cards some anon kept posting. There were so many of them, and nearly every single one was complete dogshit. I tried to give the anon advice, but I couldn't get through to him, and was glad when he left.
>>
>>53263225
Why would you give it first strike and super first strike?
>>
>>53263225
it's nothing like retrace. I didn't explain it well.

While casting ~ you may exile _ from your graveyard. If you do, [some effect]. Though this comes back to also kind just feeling like imprint just without getting any of the aspects of the card.

But this also cpuld just let it go back to letting instants and sorceries cannibalize the ones in graveyards. Idunno
>>
>>53263282
Super first strike? Do you mean the fire breathing?
>>
File: Donna Troy of Infinite Earths2.jpg (45KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Donna Troy of Infinite Earths2.jpg
45KB, 375x523px
Unfortunately, I've started to question Donna Troy again due to some recent feedback. Just looking to make sure it's balanced. Honestly I'm thinking of removing the ETB tapped bit and taking out the self-exile ability, since that's what enables it to be recast so much.

>>53263288
Well, I suppose it would depend on what the effect is. Specifically, if this is an ability word where the effect can just be whatever you want it to be, or if it's a keyword where it does more or less the same thing every time.
>>
>>53263410
Also note that the token is legendary too, so you can't really stockpile them even if you tried.
>>
File: Foretold Expulsion.png (256KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Foretold Expulsion.png
256KB, 375x523px
>>53263410
>>53263432
WUBRG is a really restrictive mana cost, so honestly I don't have a problem with it as it is right now. Your opponents have a chance to answer and she has no protection whatsoever. I really can't see her breaking anything.

>>53263225
She seems much better this way.

>>53263113
>that Supes quote
Oh you poor incorrect bastard...

>>53263028
Bird token should have flying. I like it, but yeah the name really doesn't gel with the card. Maybe something like "Parched Expanse" or something?

Odd mechanic I just dreamed up.
>>
>>53263555
Eh, Omen just feels like a more restrictive Miracle.
>>
File: Foretold Expulsion.png (253KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Foretold Expulsion.png
253KB, 375x523px
>>53263823
I guess I >>53262677ed then. Oh well. I had another version but it felt too good. I can't believe I didn't see that Miracle connection. Shame on me.
>>
>>53263555
>>53263823
>>53263912
Though, I would like to point out it isn't as restrictive as Miracle in that it doesn't have to be the first card you draw. Not that it makes much of a difference, but still, it's at least a little different.
>>
File: RM02 To the Last.jpg (55KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
RM02 To the Last.jpg
55KB, 375x523px
>>53263912
The design space for this seems small to me at first glance. What does a rare or a mythic with Omen look like?
>>
>>53264012
It looks like a cheaper rare or mythic. I doubt the free Telepathy effect for your opponents is worth something like a cheaper Wrath, and it's ultimately rather boring I suppose. Reckon that's my cue to hang it up for the night.
>to the last
I dunno. This doesn't really feel that RW to me even though it really kind of is. Cost is probably appropriate.
>>
>>53264140
I say keep trying.
>To the Last
Why doesn't it feel RW?
>>
>>53264298
>>53264012
It's essentially "creatures you control have deathtouch"
>>
>>53264313
What? That's a really strange way to look at it. I'll have to disagree with you on that one, man.
>>
>>53264350
He's not wrong desu
>>
File: Vicious Wishes.jpg (50KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Vicious Wishes.jpg
50KB, 375x523px
Yes, I made the card just for that name. Sue me.
>>
>>53266010
This just strikes me as an odd card that does one too many things. I feel it's strong, but unfocused.
>>
>>53265988
It's a strictly worse deathtouch, since your creature always has to die in order for it to go off.

Though to be fair, that's often the case anyways.
>>
File: Flashs Costume Ring.jpg (47KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Flashs Costume Ring.jpg
47KB, 375x523px
Had an idea. Are the costs and restrictions high enough to justify tutoring to the battlefield?
>>
>>53262911
Minor differences. Your card is a less interesting Utopia Vow. My opinion's unchanged.
>>53263555
Omen is a garbage mechanic. Hidden information is a part of the game for a reason. The design-fun payoff isn't big enough.
>>53267455
Auratouched Mage is constructed playable. Draw your own conclusions.
>>
File: homage ideas.jpg (679KB, 1875x1046px) Image search: [Google]
homage ideas.jpg
679KB, 1875x1046px
Are any of these ideas not total dogshit? kinda just throwing science at the wall and seeing what sticks at the moment.
>>
>>53267491
Do you ever offer alternatives or suggestions instead of just pointing out flaws? Just curious.
>>
>>53265988
Of course he is. Design doesn't work like that. Menace isn't "basically flying" just because they achieve the same result of partial evasion. How a color does something is just as important as what that something is. That's the whole reason draw-discard is different from discard-draw, and why one is blue while the other is red.
>>
>>53267526
>Number7
I imagine the reminder text would be something like
>[ability] [cost], return a spell you control to hand: Cast this card without paying its mana cost.
based on ninjutsu. Not sure if it's a good idea to do, but I think that's how you'd do it.
>>
File: This Looks Like a Job For....jpg (38KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
This Looks Like a Job For....jpg
38KB, 375x523px
In case you haven't been able to tell by now, I'm kinda bad at costing tutors. Obviously I'd like to keep the legendary restriction and tutor to the battlefield, and would rather change restrictions and cost before those, but I could relent on those if persuaded.

>>53267526
Sorry, really not feeling any of these. Racking my brain for mechanics that use instant and sorcery cards in the graveyard, the only thing I can really think of is basically a variant on Flashback that hands out a larger version of the spell's effect, and of course the mana cost would be larger. So, say the original spell is a small burn spell, maybe 1 damage. Then the graveyard version of it would be something like 4 damage. Of course the card would be exiled too. Not original at all, I know, but designing this shit is hard. Seriously, just think about how Wizards, with all their experienced people working on every single set they put out, still make garbage mechanics from time to time.
>>
File: 20170516_183522.jpg (152KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
20170516_183522.jpg
152KB, 1600x1200px
>>53267586
Sometimes when the solution is obvious. Generally speaking I'm not going to deprive you of the fun of solving the design puzzle.
Also see
>Non-Creature, 1 mana would make me like it more from developmental standpoint.
>Remove last line of text. 10/10. Excellent design.
>make it cost 2uu or 3uu
I'm kinda busy right now, but I'll try to answer any questions about the critique.
>>53269303
Menace isn't basically flying, but horsemanship is. Also this is more referring to how combat will play out. Use your head.
>>53269833
Emrakul. Griselbrand. This is Show and Tell without the opponent getting to respond part and you get to tutor a creature. Into the Breach is modern playable. That text is essentially unprintable. GX mana cost, cmc X?
>>53267526
4 might be not garbage
Focus literally could be overload 99% of the cases and it would be functionally the same. Literally.
7's great

Does my suit look good /ccg/? Need a third opinion.
>>
>>53270483
yeah, 4 is probably the least trash
I like the idea of reverse overload but yeah, of course there's basically no reason for it to exist other than cmc shit.
What of combining 3 and 7 so you spelljutsu a spell back to your hand then pay a spelljutsu cost reduced by that spell's cmc? That's my immediate thought of how to make it work without being a shitty idea like >>53269430

>no reverse image search results
If this is actually grumps, you look exactly like the hatefilled bastard I thought you would. And yes, it looks fine, perhaps just a bit too much slack in the arms.
>>
>>53270616
meant to say without being a bad idea like >>53269430 thinks it is.

I'm also worried it's a bad idea.
>>
>>53270483
>This Looks Like a Job For...
Ergh, yeah, saw that coming. Yeah, I'll probably just make it XG for a legendary with CMC X or less.

As an aside, I just had an idea about tutoring and costs, and what would you say to a tutor that would put any permanent card from your library onto the battlefield, but it had an XX cost? I was thinking about X cost tutors that put something into your hand, and had the idea that you're basically paying a generic version of that card's mana cost, and you'd have to pay the mana cost again just to get it onto the field, so what about just combining the two costs and paying them both at once? Just a thought experiment though, I don't have anything planned for it.

>suit
What the other anon said, seems like the arms have a bit of slack to them. Otherwise seems fine from what I can see, shoulders look good. Just make sure the bottom reaches below your waist and the buttons don't look like they're pulling. I also hope you're going to wear a different shirt under that jacket.
>>
>>53270616
>If this is actually grumps, you look exactly like the hatefilled bastard I thought you would.
I honestly expected him to be older and more neckbeard-y.
>>
>>53270483
Are you wearing a t-shirt underneath the suit jacket? I certainly hope not. Also might wanna locate the nearest brush or comb, buddy.
>>
>>53270483
Dude, this isn't /soc/ or /r9k/ can we not go down this road? It's nice that you want to get so invested in this place as to ask our opinions on non-MtG matters but this is some serious attention whoring.
>>
File: RM04 Terrestrial Reign.jpg (51KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
RM04 Terrestrial Reign.jpg
51KB, 375x523px
So, cards. Not sure if "land cards" is necessary here, but I was worried that "those cards" on its own would be ambiguous.
>>
>>53271180
I can dig it. A helpful thing about it is that in a ramp deck, once you've ramped you want to maximize your draws so this clearing some extra lands also helps that on top of being a win con.

Though why does it exile evertyhing else? Why no put on bottom of your library in a random order?
>>
>>53271180
holy guacamole this is so broken
>>
>>53271180
I just can't get past it being a single-X cost spell for what nearly amounts to getting X X/X's.
>>
>>53271404
>>53271414
I can make it two Xs, no problem.
>>
File: Todd Rice Obsidian.jpg (47KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Todd Rice Obsidian.jpg
47KB, 375x523px
Obsidian. Powers over darkness, second ability is supposed to be him turning the shadow of a person into a copy of the person, thus a Shade. Though I was thinking of turning it into an ability that triggered on attack and copies one of the opponent's creatures. Ironically for his darkness powers, he's the son of the original Green Lantern, Alan Scott. Unfortunately, he was wiped from the DCU thanks to Flashpoint.
>>
File: 2 Multicolored Rares First Draft.jpg (775KB, 1875x1046px) Image search: [Google]
2 Multicolored Rares First Draft.jpg
775KB, 1875x1046px
All right, first full draft of the multicolored rares for this set.
>>53272084
Cool use of the shade pump in concert with the power limit on the token copy creation ability. The separate elements come together nicely while maintaining individual usefulness.
>>
File: 2 Artifacts Rare First Draft.jpg (201KB, 1125x523px) Image search: [Google]
2 Artifacts Rare First Draft.jpg
201KB, 1125x523px
>>53272284
Also finished the first draft of rare artifacts for the set. Once these rares are squared away, all I have left are the mythics before the block is finished.
>>
File: Dragoncaller Shaman.jpg (48KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Dragoncaller Shaman.jpg
48KB, 375x523px
Bump
>>
>>53239142
best design i've seen in a while
>>
>>53274622
Thanks I guess, care to yell at me about which of these works? >>53267526

>>53272922
pulverizer honestly might cost just a hair too much but I'm probably insane

>>53274513
I love it but it should probably be a may ability, nothing worse than being screwed by your own powerhouse

>>53272284
>1
>make haste dudes more worthwhile and nonhaste dudes hasty
boros likes it and so do I
>2
I kinda like it but I think it's a flawed idea. It wants to go into a go wide token strategy but as an aggro deck's 4 drop what is it actually doing? Clearing out blockers for the NEXT turn? But you don't have attackers anymore. Defensive decks don't really want this either I would think because they wouldn't have the spare dudes to throw away for it.
>3
6 mana for a 1/1? Cmon man, at least make it a 3/3 or something.
>4
6 mana for 2 2/2s feels pretty lame but I suppose it has to be this way. And I still don't get why it exiles instead of putting on bottom in a random order.
>5
I likes it. Nothing really to say.
>6
I think this is a good place for it.
>7
I don't think it'd be too hard to get an infinite going with this but hey, it's 5 mana so it would never be degenerate.
>8
damn strong. I like it
>9
>3 cost mana dork that actually goes into combat with a mediocre body before it can make mana... and it's not even guaranteed to be mana of your deck's colors.
I like some of the core ideas here but I really don't think the execution comes together well. I mean, at the same time, can just ignore the last ability because that first one is such a fucker of a rattlesnake.
>10
hey this feels familiar. I can dig it. I'd up the "flashback" cost by one or two though as that also grants it potential instant speed as well as the card advantage.
>>
File: This Looks Like a Job For...2.jpg (39KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
This Looks Like a Job For...2.jpg
39KB, 375x523px
Turned into an X-cost spell. Honestly not too excited to have it compete with Green Sun's Zenith, but oh well.

>>53272284
Why format up-down, right-left instead of right-left, up-down? Anyway

>RM01
As odd as it might sound, I'm not really fond of how this interacts with Haste. If you cast a creature with Haste, there's not a big reason to use the second mode, but without Haste, there's almost no reason to pick the first mode. With Ambush this doesn't matter too much, but I'm not a fan of how it interacts with creature cards without Ambush.

>RM02
Yeah, I'm with the other guy on this one. Not a fan.

>RM03
Seems fine. Pretty sure I've seen this before.

>RM04
I'm with the other guy, why not just put the other cards on the bottom? Seems cool otherwise. Oh hey, did you make this as a replacement for that other GU card that turned a bunch of lands into creatures?

>RM05
Oh wow, this ordering is even more messed up than I thought. This seems pretty cool, though personally I think you should up the cost in order to up the base P/T so it doesn't die to pretty much anything.

>RM06
Still neat.

>RM07
Still odd and hard to judge.

>RM08
Meh, nothing exciting. Solid card, not entirely sure about rare though, but then I'd have to look up preexisting cards to really judge.

>RM09
Still dunno about this. Really hard to gauge.

>RM10
Nice. Though I do think the other guy has a point, maybe up the cost of the pseudo-Flashback.
>>
File: 1415558029067.jpg (238KB, 1200x1239px) Image search: [Google]
1415558029067.jpg
238KB, 1200x1239px
>capeshit
for what purpose?
>>
>>53276705
fun
>>
>>53272284
>>53276625
>RM08
Yeah, Necromantic Thirst is only common, but I guess all the extra stuff makes your card rare.

>>53272922
>RA02
Something seems off here... I dunno, this just doesn't work for me. Maybe up the P/T?

>RA03
Think I'd rather use the Lantern, but this seems OK as-is. Or... Hmm, maybe some kind of scaling pump? +1/+1 for each type/color of mana in your pool? No, wait, that fucks with combat damage, you'd have to restrict it to only increasing power.
>>
File: index.jpg (391KB, 1875x523px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
391KB, 1875x523px
Was bored so made a cycle and some other busted stuff. Please yell at me and tell me how bad they are.
>>
File: busted.jpg (312KB, 1500x523px) Image search: [Google]
busted.jpg
312KB, 1500x523px
and the other stuff
>>
File: Pandemic Infestation.jpg (45KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Pandemic Infestation.jpg
45KB, 375x523px
H O R R O R S
>>
>>53277451
Are you actually making a legit set or what?
>>
File: Deimos Souleater.jpg (39KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Deimos Souleater.jpg
39KB, 375x523px
>>53277520
Well, yeah.
>>
>>53272284
Just curious, do you keep your sets uploaded anywhere? You do a phenomenal job at it, and I'd love to look through them.
>>
>>53277772
Check the OP please.
>>
File: Thy Mind Consumed.jpg (35KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Thy Mind Consumed.jpg
35KB, 375x523px
>>
File: Honorable Ossuant.jpg (35KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Honorable Ossuant.jpg
35KB, 375x523px
Slightly boring, but thought Amonkhet's white undead and the shift from regenerate to temporary indestructibility made for an interesting thematic/mechanical intersection.

Also a Turbo-Bandar.

>>53278533
Unhinge was 2B, so this seems fine.

>>53277625
No capital on lifelink. Also, if Deimos is a singular individual, its "Deimos's", like "Crosis's Attendant", not like "Cathars' Crusade" (because there are many Cathars, but one Crosis).

>>53277451
This seems very strong. Repeated tutoring at Uncommon, also a sac outlet? Sure, you can only do it once per turn,but you can do it on your opponent's turn too.
>>
File: Phobos Acolyte.jpg (41KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Phobos Acolyte.jpg
41KB, 375x523px
>>53279020
>This seems very strong. Repeated tutoring at Uncommon, also a sac outlet? Sure, you can only do it once per turn,but you can do it on your opponent's turn too.

Maybe I should increase the cost of the enchantment itself?
>>
File: Latwa Inspirations Spark.png (330KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Latwa Inspirations Spark.png
330KB, 375x523px
eh? Eeeehh?
>>
>>53271180
You don't need the last line, you can just exile from the top and put the lands on the field.
>>
>>53279893
I think the only application this will have is as a politics tool in multiplayer formats. Otherwise it's just
>Do you want to kill each other?
>Do you want me to kill you?
>Do you want to do absolutely nothing?
I seriously can't see anyone with an IQ above the single digits actually considering using this.
>>
>>53279963
I mean, if you have only a handful of low impact stuff, they do still HAVE to cast from it. Which means you get their best thing from their hand, which is likely to have a much better card than what they got from you. At least that's the idea.
>>
>>53280001
>they do still HAVE to cast from it.
Didn't notice that. So it does have a use now. A really disgusting one.
>>
>>53280057
I mean, you do have to have literally only a pact in your hand. And besides, hivemind is only 1 more mana and does the same kill. I think the fact that they printed "you lose the game" on a handful of free cards is the mistake here, not latwa.
>>
>>53280139
>I think the fact that they printed "you lose the game" on a handful of free cards is the mistake here, not latwa.
>Wizards fucked up, I'm perfect.
>>
>>53280167
Dude, chill your shit. If someone posted the pacts in these threads they'd be told they're a bad idea. Free spells and "lose the game" text are things to be avoided.
>>
>>53280238
>I'm a mindreader and I already know what all of you think. Now shut up and acknowledge my brilliance.
I'm probably just going to keep mocking you until you leave. Or stop acting like a prick, choice is yours.
>>
>>53280297
Jesus fucking christ. Where am I saying I'm perfect or any of this shit? If I thought my designs were perfect why would I even be here asking for feedback? So again, chill the fuck out, stop acting like wizards is flawless, give actual feedback. If your only complaint against a card is that it's broken if used with cards that say "lose the game" then where does the problem really lie in that situation?
>>
File: RR07 Endless Battle.jpg (56KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
RR07 Endless Battle.jpg
56KB, 375x523px
>>53275072
>pulverizer honestly might cost just a hair too much but I'm probably insane
I'll put it at 7.
>I love it but it should probably be a may ability, nothing worse than being screwed by your own powerhouse
Nah, man. All in, dragons or nothing.
>6 mana for a 1/1? Cmon man, at least make it a 3/3 or something.
Its ability can target itself, so buffing its body seems a little pointless.
>And I still don't get why it exiles instead of putting on bottom in a random order.
Space, more than anything. It isn't a significant part of the card and can be altered.
>I'd up the "flashback" cost by one or two though
It already requires eight mana, man. It doesn't get much more expensive than that.
>>53276625
>without Haste, there's almost no reason to pick the first mode.
Which is exactly how Ambuscade Shaman works with dash, which is why I gave it the second option to prevent it from being useless with non-ambush creatures.
>Yeah, I'm with the other guy on this one. Not a fan.
I'm sorry to hear that, as I really like the card.
>Oh hey, did you make this as a replacement for that other GU card that turned a bunch of lands into creatures?
Nope, it actually works well in concert with that card because it ramps out lands the other card can use to make creature copies. My UG faction does a lot of ramp and land/artifact animation.
>this ordering is even more messed up than I thought.
Yeah, sorry about that.
>This Looks Like a Job For...
I think it's better as a Green Sun's Zenith variant. If you want to tutor to hand, you have more options, though.
>>53277193
Thanks for the feedback, man! I'm planning some adjustments.
>>53277772
Yeah, man. All three of my completed sets are in the pastebin. The link is in the OP. You're more than welcome to take a look. Some of it is pretty outdated by now, though; I need to go back through and update things. And thanks! Glad you like what I'm working on.
>>53279918
That's not a bad idea; I might do just that.

Thanks for all of the feedback!
>>
File: Glimpse Your Future.png (265KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Glimpse Your Future.png
265KB, 375x523px
With the goal of making your opponent defend your card.
>>
File: Power Bottom.png (317KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Power Bottom.png
317KB, 375x523px
>>
>>53280736
>7
Sure
>all in
Alrighty then. Think it's a goblin? Nope, inside that goblin is a dragon? Inside this dragon? A bigger dragon... or a smaller one... iunno ask Sarkhan. That fucking scalie probably understands.
>Its ability can target itself
I get that but it also means you absolutely can not play it on curve without the very real risk of it getting removed super easily before getting anything out of it. I'd at least like to see a toughness buff so it doesn't die for free to some stray AOE. I think the ability is pretty damn powerful at 2 mana so a poor default body on it makes sense, but 1/1 is just too low for pretty much any 6 drop in my books, but if you're okay with that being how this card plays out then you do you.
>space
K
>eight mana
Yeah, technically. I suppose as is it's powerful but fine.

>>53280786
My biggest complaint is why the fuck does cardsmith not default to using Beleran?
That said, while the design is cute, the only way your opponent can "defend" it is to counter spell the counter you throw at glimpse. Cuteness aside, it's also completely fucked.

>>53280836
Now this is a cute design I can get behind... get it?
>>
File: The Origin of Sarkhan Vol.jpg (356KB, 450x2200px) Image search: [Google]
The Origin of Sarkhan Vol.jpg
356KB, 450x2200px
>>53280999
>Nope, inside that goblin is a dragon? Inside this dragon? A bigger dragon... or a smaller one...
That sounds like something Sarkhan would say when he's high.
>>
>>53280999
Glimpse seemed pretty reasonable to me. Can't cast it on opponents turn, it costs at lwast two mana, you get 2 cards with the offside of dying if your opponent counters your counter.
>>
File: Aneket the Omniscient.jpg (50KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Aneket the Omniscient.jpg
50KB, 375x523px
So...Future Sight meets Sen Triplets?
>>
>>53281354
Playing from an opponent's hand should at least require black.
>>
>>53281211
Everything else aside, why stack this kind of thing onto it when it could just be a variant of tormenting voice that costs more and requires you to discard an instant?

I like the design, have to do something about it it or you get some big down side, but I don't think this is the way to do it.

>>53281354
This really seems nongreen to me but I guess they printed rubinia so iunno. I'd be all over this card if it were Sultai instead of just Simic, then it'd be following in the footsteps of something like villainous wealth.
>the omniscient
>doesn't have an omniscience ability
0/10 flavor, immersion broken, literally unplayable.
>>
File: Gorilla Grodd.jpg (164KB, 750x523px) Image search: [Google]
Gorilla Grodd.jpg
164KB, 750x523px
Gorilla Grodd. Really split on how to interpret him though. The first uses Grodd's telepathy to fuck with their head, or use it to make creatures punch themselves. The second uses Grodd's ability to gain knowledge from enemies by eating their brains. Granted it's not entirely accurate to that idea, but I wanted something that was more useful than something 100% accurate.
>>
File: MM02 Aneket Grand Conduit.jpg (51KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
MM02 Aneket Grand Conduit.jpg
51KB, 375x523px
>>53281433
>>53281447
Well, I designed the opposing faction leaders to be representative of an alliance between allied sides (UG & BG vs. UR & WR). Do you guys think printing a tricolor card in a set otherwise made up of at most dual-colored cards is okay?
>>53281447
>the omniscient
>doesn't have an omniscience ability
>0/10 flavor, immersion broken, literally unplayable.
I got you last set senpai
>>53281485
I like the BR version better. Making creatures punch themselves is just fun. I wish the abilities were more cohesive, though.
>>
>>53281485
Left is just straight value, right is more a novel design.
>>
File: Krumar Scaleguard.png (289KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Krumar Scaleguard.png
289KB, 375x523px
>>
>>53281600
I mean, I don't wanna tell you what to do with your set, but I just do not see this effect in simic. Dimir or Sultai or Esper but green is too insular and focused on what it's doing to go out of its way to dig into your opponent's cards. That's a very black thing to do.

So while I think this card should be sultai, if that doesn't appeal to you (which I totally get since you don't want to fuck with your set's color alignments) I would say to redesign what this card does. Perhaps have it allow you to go crazy with your own deck instead of the opponent's? More momir vig than sen triplets I guess. But that's just me mate.
>>
File: 1494991810096589.png (344KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
1494991810096589.png
344KB, 375x523px
Mystical teachings best friend.
>>
>>53281732
>EVERYONE GET IN HERE
>EVERYONE GET IN HERE
>EVERYONE GET IN HERE
giving me nam flashbacks with that art

The actual card, I find it slightly weird for a black card to grab dromoka's mechanic, but I mean, they were the remnant of the abzan and this is about as black a trigger for it... It's probably all good and I'm worrying for no reason. I can dig it.
>>
>>53281600
Yeah, it's just there are a lot of ways to portray making people hit themselves. One of the first questions is if you should focus on creatures or players. I had another idea about stealing cards from an opponent's hand, but that's already been done a few times already in UB.

>>53281626
I'll keep working on them. Thanks for the feedback.
>>
File: Tread Lightly.png (246KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Tread Lightly.png
246KB, 375x523px
>>
File: gu01 Leyline Drinker.png (442KB, 752x523px) Image search: [Google]
gu01 Leyline Drinker.png
442KB, 752x523px
How's the new set symbol? Should I just go back to the one from that sacrifice based set? Too similar to guildpact/dissension?

so yeah, a nice simple way to make it clear how the main transformation mechanic synergizes with the evoke cards that'll be in the set.

>>53282016
I can dig it. Though making all your dudes essentially unblockable / making your opponent's trample dudes able to be chumped feels a hair too powerful at 2 mana.
>>
>>53282241
You have to specify that the cost reduction only affects colored mana. Otherwise, for example, if you have an Evoke cost of 1R, this would make it cost R.
>>
>>53282460
I intended for that. Is there a reason I shouldn't?

I suppose if there's concern of it chaining off somehow I could make it a tap ability. possibly adding 2 mana that can only be spent on evoke costs.
>>
>>53282514
Just wanted to make sure you knew, most people miss that.
>>
>>53282562
Thanks mate. Any comments on the design itself?
>>
>>53282576
Incredibly strange wording on the trigger, why not just trigger on a CMC 4 or greater spell? And I have zero clue what you were doing with the backside. It just seems kinda random, no real rhyme or reason to it. If you want to focus on just the Evoke stuff, make a regular card that does that. This I feel like would be better if it focused on filling your graveyard with creature cards. Maybe it gets some bonus when creatures die and that somehow trigger it to transform into a Goyf.

Also, who are you? Since you changed your set symbol I can't tell, and I'm pretty sure I've never seen this card before.
>>
>>53282628
I suppose I could reword it like that.

And the thing about it is, it does feed your grave. You pay an evoke cost, the thing with evoke usually has a high CMC thus flipping (because you're even though you're paying an alternative cost, the spell still has its usual CMC), it goes to the grave, it feeds this thing its high CMC.
>>
>>53282241
This doesn't synergize with just evoke, but simply curving out, making it far less interesting.
>>
>>53282628
oh and I'm the guy who made >>53239142
and a bunch of cards over the past couple weeks in a set heavy on sacrificing. The salvage cards and such.
>>
>>53282711
Yeah, I had considered that. Perhaps the main transform mechanic should require the spell to be 2 or even 3 higher.
>>
>>53282730
or, for the sake of consistency, make it flip off something that's 5 or 6 cost.
>>
File: Mental Leash.png (229KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Mental Leash.png
229KB, 375x523px
>>
>>53282840
I likes it. Good at multiple stages of the game, particularly late.
>>
File: wr01 evoke o-ring.png (190KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
wr01 evoke o-ring.png
190KB, 375x523px
By the way, I fucking love evoke. It's everything I love. Cards having use in multiple stages of the game in multiple ways, sacrificing thus enabling graveyard shenanigans. Oh it's so good.
>>
File: Soulsnare Familiar.jpg (46KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Soulsnare Familiar.jpg
46KB, 375x523px
>>53282941
I love that effect. I made a frog that did that once.
>>
>>53282977
you're now officially muh nigga.
>>
File: Recursion.jpg (40KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Recursion.jpg
40KB, 375x523px
>>
>>53283009
This thing definitely needs to cost more. Because the second time it's a free counterspell.
>>
>>53281771
Huh, I did not read that correctly the first time and thought it was really weak. Seems too strong
>>
File: Portrait Of Adventure.jpg (40KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Portrait Of Adventure.jpg
40KB, 375x523px
>>
>>53283161
when what it's enchanting leaves play so does portrait.
>>
File: Flamekin Ragestoker.png (291KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Flamekin Ragestoker.png
291KB, 375x523px
>>
>>53283256
I should like this more than I do. It's a nifty way of doing double tribal without being restrictive.
>>
File: doesnt work because syntax.png (259KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
doesnt work because syntax.png
259KB, 375x523px
Any way to make this work in the english language?
>>
File: Time Gamble.jpg (46KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Time Gamble.jpg
46KB, 375x523px
>>
>>53283893
I don't want to be mean but I hate this mechanic. It's pure feelbad on either side of it whenever your get the bad result. Especially on this specific card with how enormous the swing is, yeah stitch in time exists but I also hate that card.

I still wouldn't like it but if you brought the swingyness down by putting much less impactful abilities onto it I'd dislike it less.

Also, extra turn spells exile themselves nowadays.
>>
>>53283781
Target player (you must be yourself) sacrifices a creature.

Draw a card

Refocus (remove "you must target yourself".)
>>
>>53283942
For this specific card it'd be "destroy target creature target player (you must target yourself) controls.

Perhaps
~ must have you as target player.
Destroy target creature target player controls.
Draw a card
Refocus (can target players other than you.)

Maybe that's the most elegant way to format it
>>
File: better fixed refocus.png (254KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
better fixed refocus.png
254KB, 375x523px
>>53283986
You know what, this is made easier by doing what I want to do, having the cost be higher and the self hitting version be the low version.
>>
File: eaZrosc[1].png (363KB, 5000x5000px) Image search: [Google]
eaZrosc[1].png
363KB, 5000x5000px
>>53283942
>you must be yourself
>>
>>53283781
I don't even understand what the purpose of this is. Punch yourself in the face, or pay more to punch another player?
>>
Great, first I can't post at all, now 4chan won't let me post images. Anyone else having this problem? Urgh, I'll just copy/paste the relevant text of the card.

>Name: Grid's Separation (Grid is the character from the card Grid, Sentient Virus I did earlier.)
>Mana cost: 2UB
>Art: Cyborg, the one from Teen Titans, having all his cybernetic implants being pulled out of his body as he screams in pain and terror. It's a pretty gruesome display.
>Card types: Instant
>Rarity: Rare
>Text: Exile target nontoken artifact creature from the battlefield or artifact creature card from a graveyard. Create a token that’s a copy of that card except it’s colorless and it isn’t a creature. Create a black Zombie creature token with power equal to that card’s power and toughness equal to that card’s toughness.
>Flavor text: HAVE A NICE DAY (Grid said this a lot, almost always in an ironic sense.)

Had an idea. Since it only hits artifact creatures, I decided to have it exile from graveyards as well so it's a bit more useful. I hope this gets the idea across well enough, that it makes two tokens by "splitting" the artifact creature. The first token has all the abilities, but is just an artifact, and I think I can get that across OK by just saying it isn't a creature, but tell me if I'm wrong. And of course there's a creature side with no abilities.

Flavor is from the creation of Grid. He's a virus that lived inside Cyborg's cybernetics, then eventually pulled out the cybernetic implants from Cyborg's body. Grid used the implants to create a fully cybernetic body for himself, while leaving Cyborg for dead. Of course Cyborg later got a new body and beat Grid in a virtual body where he shut down Grid's body and trapped the virus inside.
>>
>>53287609
Very much so, driving me fucking crazy.

I like the card, there's the artifact in soi or something that does that to a creature making a zombie and a spirit and I really like that.
>>
>>53287609
Let's see if this works... probably won't because fuck me,

http://i.imgur.com/RnREwWC.jpg
>>
>>53258109
Vivec need better abilities than that!
>>
Image upload still now working.

>>53287666
Yeah, forgot to mention Soul Separator.

>>53287763
I honestly don't like Imgur very much. I've only ever used it for Reddit. I guess sites with terrible UI's are just naturally drawn to each other.

>Dilute
My very first thought was "What the fuck?" Oh, this is that card I saw before, you just reversed the costs. Yeah, still not really liking it. I mean, it's a downside mechanic which isn't that great to start with. And it seems like it's going to be just incredibly narrow. I mean, it's like what I said before about punching yourself. I just think it's going to make a bad impression right from the start because you have these, I guess, overcosted effects, so people wonder what possible upside or option they have. Then they realize they can pay less mana to willingly put themselves at a disadvantage. I mean, just the overcosting thing, they'd be overcosted for having a downside. Sure, you can say Evoke and Dash had downsides too, but they weren't all downsides. What's the upside to these? A smaller mana cost? Yeah, Evoke and Dash had that pretty much all the time as well, and more on top of that.
>>
>>53278533
Instant discard whaaargarble
>>
>>53287904
>flicker
Usable on either yours or your opponent's thing. It's hardly a downside really, it's just added versatility.
>fog
huge upside in that you can hard fog them with the front half or clear the way for attacking, or, use it at the end of their turn to just gain 5 life at basically no real downside. 5 may be a touch high.
>counter
it's contradict with what amounts to cycling. Except, in my set, it also helps the CMC matters stuff.
>super bounce
There's actual upside to using the dilute if you want to bounce something like a snapcaster in addition to stuff they have.
>kill spell
This card would become an autoinclude in aristocrat decks. Either a kill spell that draws a card or a very cheap sac outlet that also draws a card.
>discard
Almost certainly the most narrow of them, but it helps fill your grave if you dilute and screws your opponent if you don't.
>pump burn
burn your opponent or take a hit to smash in with something big
>burn
Really burn them out or sacrifice a creature to bolt face or bolt your face to kill their creature.
>fight
have two things your opponent controls fight or just cast a regular fight spell for the dilute cost
>naturalize
if you have an enchantment or artifact you're willing to toss (which is fairly likely in my set) then this kills their more threatening one. Otherwise it's just a double naturalize.

I mean, which ones are really overcosted for their default ability? The idea behind it is to have versatility at various points in the game and through various strategies. You can either completely ignore the dilute part and use the card for its powerful effect, build around the dilute effect it, or just utilize it as a panic button. Going over the scenarios of these cards in my head suggests the added versatility at lower costs gives them real value.
>>
>>53288054
Well, maybe I'm just wrong then. I gave you my opinion, and as I always say, it would be best if you get more feedback from other anons as well.
>>
>>53288122
I getcha, thanks man. It's good you challenged the mechanic and made me have to have a defense for it. To be fair, whether or not my defense would actually hold up in gameplay would have to been seen in playtesting .
>>
File: Artemis of Bana-Mighdall4.jpg (46KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Artemis of Bana-Mighdall4.jpg
46KB, 375x523px
>>
>>53289799
Oh thanks god, I honestly didn't think this would work.

OK, Artemis. I removed the tap requirement from her ability, and I also removed Vigilance. Added a free equip on upkeep. Everything else is the same as last time.
>>
File: wu02 evoke ascend antehm.png (200KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
wu02 evoke ascend antehm.png
200KB, 375x523px
>>53289799
Images, sweet sweet images. How I missed you so.

Could probably reduce her cost by a couple. I would think 3RW for a 3/3 or 4/4 would be a much more usable card.
>>
File: Andy Franklin Human Bomb5.jpg (53KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Andy Franklin Human Bomb5.jpg
53KB, 375x523px
Still wondering if I should change this around so the ability can blow up multiple permanents, with changed costs of course. Or maybe some sort of untap ability? Oh right, Human Bomb. Absorbs energy, then uses it to blow shit up. Technically this version of the character didn't use it, but this is my favorite New Earth (pre-New 52) version of the character, and I think I've always been open about using the Ultimate Universe interpretation for these cards.

>>53290024
Eh, I'd really prefer to keep her at 5/5. As screwy as it is, I'd at least like to pretend the base P/T of the creatures have some consistency in comparison with others. I might add Trample, I'd been thinking about it for a while.

>card
I still think it would be far easier to return it to the battlefield with a counter on it rather than do this pseudo-Regen thing. Anyway, as for the rest, I think the Evoke cost is a bit low, since 1WW is the cost of a standard Anthem, I think it should cost a bit more. Maybe this should apply to the mana cost too? Not really sure. Though I do think this card would make more sense at rare rather than uncommon.
>>
>>53290483
>Technically this version of the character didn't use it
I guess my brain shut off here. I meant to say that technically, this version of the character didn't have this specific version of the abilities. Specifically, I'm taking the damage-prevention ability from the version of the Human Bomb from the post-Flashpoint Earth-10 (long story short, all heroes are actually evil Nazis, save for the Freedom Fighters like Human Bomb), who isn't even the same character, rather he's an alternate version of the original Human Bomb, Roy Lincoln.

Holy shit, I just realized how crazy this probably sounds to people who don't read comics.
>>
>>53290483
I was thinking much the same things.

The issue I have with doing an undying type wording is that would add like 2 or 3 lines of text to it and is ultimately unnecessary because this does pretty much the same thing. And yeah, I was thinking rare and upping the costs as well.
>>
>>53290606
comics were a mistake
>>
>>53290608
If you take the wording that gives glyph counters intrinsic properties, it's not that much longer.
>Ascend (When this creature dies, if it had no glyph counters on it, return it to the battlefield under its owner’s control as an enchantment with a glyph counter on it.)
>>
>>53290775
Meant to say "take out the wording"
>>
File: She who was the queen.jpg (51KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
She who was the queen.jpg
51KB, 375x523px
>>
>>53292475
Nice Voice of Resurgence variant, clean and understandable despite the wall of text.
>>
Page 10 bump.
>>
File: Terisiarian Glaciers.jpg (77KB, 800x559px) Image search: [Google]
Terisiarian Glaciers.jpg
77KB, 800x559px
>>53290024
Replacing death with remaining on the battlefield always leads to shenanigans, because the damage is still marked. Just return it to the battlefield a la Undying, that way your opponents can actually use grave hate to interact with it.

>card
We all Panglacial now.
>>
>>53296106
Interesting. Kinda wish the chaos ability actually did something by itself though. Maybe tutor for a land since you can't pull those out with the first ability?
>>
>>53296687
That actually makes mechanical and flavorful sense, since Thawing Glaciers was also from Dominaria.
>>
File: Little Busters.png (285KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Little Busters.png
285KB, 375x523px
>>
File: General Zod3.jpg (41KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
General Zod3.jpg
41KB, 375x523px
I kinda hate Kryptonians because so often they're just big, dumb beaters. But I guess as long as they're good enough, it doesn't matter how dumb they are, especially since everyone else seems to really like the big, dumb beater version of Superman I made.

>>53296802
Glad I could help.

>>53296833
With all the text, I honestly think it'd just be easier to make the card into exactly what you want the token to look like, and just add
>When ~ enters the battlefield, if it isn't a token, create a token that's a copy of it.
>>
>>53297045
You could always play up the whole "weakened by Earths atmosphere" aspect. 5 mana 3/3 indestructinle flier that gets a +1/+1 counter each turn.
>>
File: Shore Swallower.jpg (49KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Shore Swallower.jpg
49KB, 375x523px
Trying out a slightly weaker version of 'big dumb blue thing what finishes control matchups', this time adding red because why the fuck not.
Landwalk is a dead keyword, but are there any better evasion mechanisms for a sea-dwelling creature?
>>53292475
I would recommend full capitalization of the name, but otherwise this is a pretty interesting card.
>>53284053
>>53287763
I don't like the Dilute mechanic, because it has super narrow design space, in that it has to contain an unconditional upside but also be functional as a card, which often leads to bloating of the normal mana cost.
>>
>>53297600
I mean, which of them has a high cost for its base effect?
>>
>>53297625
The counterspell and the fight are what stand out. The fight especially, but then again, instant-speed fight is a shockingly unexplored territory.
>>
>>53297694
The counterspell is a strictly better contradict, essentially giving it cycling and the fringe upside of drawing a card even if it in its base mode is countered.

The fight spell allows you to make two of your opponent's creatures fight each other. That seems like it would require a pretty decent cost for its base mode. And in its dilute mode it's just a typical fight spell.
>>
File: wc02 dfc anthem.png (310KB, 752x523px) Image search: [Google]
wc02 dfc anthem.png
310KB, 752x523px
Also, dilute has additional value in my set by allowing you to cheese the main transformation mechanic. For what that's worth.
>>
File: Malacol Watcher.jpg (43KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Malacol Watcher.jpg
43KB, 375x523px
>card
Based off a Planechase card. As are the next few cards.

>>53297835
Turning my anthem into a vulnerable creature seems like a stealth downside, even if you do get a power boost.

>>53297600
Blue can nominally get trample on Leviathans, but people get salty about that sometimes, pun not intended. Attack-tap like yours and Lorthos is the other good alternative.

I also don't think this needs Red.
>>
>>53297995
Landtap is red now
>>
>>53297995
Yeah, that's why I'm making sure the transform is a may ability if you're worried about your opponent having creature specific removal. Do you think buffing the dude side of it by a hair would mitigate that concern?
>>
File: Truga Vinekeeper.jpg (45KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Truga Vinekeeper.jpg
45KB, 375x523px
>card
Is this costing GG too awkward for any deck that would actually want to use it to cast off color creatures?

>>53297995
Whoops, this should be an Artifact creature. I also formatted a card earlier with "Creature, Hydra", so I'm clearly not awake today.

>>53298022
I think its certainly in red now, but I don't think there's enough evidence to say its solely in red and doesn't belong in blue anymore. But I suppose UR is fine.

>>53298028
Maybe? I don't really like the idea in general, because one of the upsides of anthems is that unlike the rest of a go-wide deck, they're not vulnerable to board wipes and creature removal. Also, decks that want anthems typically aren't dropping 5 mana spells, which means its only getting cheat-transformed with Dilute. Maybe that's good gameplay, but it seems too cute to me.
>>
File: Binar Planesire.png (104KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Binar Planesire.png
104KB, 375x523px
>>53298022
Which I think was a good decision for wotc by the way. They don't want to print much land destruction but they needed something to fill that void for red. So land tapping allows for red to have its temporary resource advantage in a way that works for aggressive and slower decks.

>>53297995
Interesting
>paragraph giving my thoughts
>notice the "instead"
okay now this card is pretty neato and balanced, possibly even a touch weak but hey, no color restriction so it's a-okay.

>>53298096
Evoke is also in my set to be fair. I suppose I could just make it transform into a better anthem.

That kinda takes away the flavor I had for it, or at least changes it slightly. Which, for any who care here's the cliffnote version. The plane is still young so the mana in it hasn't settled yet. There's been a BW faction introduced to it and the souls of their dead into wards written onto their city. So a trickle gets in, hits one of those, and it powers up and releases the soul as a spirit.

On that note... does anyone like this? I feel weird making a 3 color OC walker with ties to a plane's story...feels too "fan ficcy". But is the deign at least interesting? I'm usually against -s immediately killing the walker but getting a copy of anything seems like a decent tradeoff. Could easily adjust costs
>>
File: MythicCycle.jpg (349KB, 1875x523px) Image search: [Google]
MythicCycle.jpg
349KB, 1875x523px
So, I made a mythic cycle of "big effects on legs." Not sure on the costs.
>>53298096
I like it. The additional utility helps to justify the bloated cost and avoid the painful 2cmc otherwise-vanilla mana dork. I think you could even get away with buffing the body due to the double-green cost.
>>53298234
>I feel weird making a 3 color OC walker with ties to a plane's story
Nah, man. Part of the fun of making a set, to me at least, is that worldbuilding component.
>card
>+2
Land tokens feel weird to me but, seeing as there are artifact, creature, and enchantment tokens, it isn't too out there. Physically keeping track of the land tokens would be an absolute pain, though. The lands also stick around, permanently ramping, so having this as a +2 is way crazy. It would probably be simpler to either ramp out actual lands, or to add mana directly.
>-3
I don't think "nonplaneswalker" is a thing. I think Wizards writes out "artifact, creature, enchantment, or land" in cases like this. I could be wrong, though.
>-7
Hard to judge, but should probably be harder to reach since it draws 5+ cards minimum.
>>
File: Star Sanctum Curator.jpg (35KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Star Sanctum Curator.jpg
35KB, 375x523px
>card
Given how often drawing cards based on power is in green, this could be Simic or Bant, but I felt that Simic or Bant Prowess was rather unusual.

Also maybe a bit of a self-nonbo, since they tend not to die if they've had a bunch of prowess triggers, and your opponent can always just throw removal at it later.

>>53298963
Pious Servant probably doesn't need the "if you control a creature" clause because it is itself a creature.

Martyr also reads oddly because it will probably die during combat, which is means the actual effect won't do much.

>Truga Vinekeeper
I might give it a little more toughness, then.
>>
>>53298963
The idea of the land tokens is that he's the walker who made this plane. Probably pre-mending.

So I'm really unsure on all the costs, I did realize right at that the ult was way too cheap but the exact number depends on where the other numbers lie, definitely should take at least 3 turns of build up either way.

I think a lot of my uncertainty of the costs would be fixed if I made the + into a 1 and started him at 4 or perhaps even 5 if I really wanted to push him due to being 3 colors. Then up the ult cost to where it takes 4 turns of ticking up to get to.

What >>53299110 said about servant and martyr. Maybe martyr gives an additional combat step but doesn't untap all your dudes, just the ones it insurrections?

>gaze
I'd like to see this give them an extra turn after that one but that might be unnecessary.

>vizier
I can dig it.

I'm losing track of who's given feedback. How do you feel about the way my set is shaping up with ascend, a main transform mechanic that triggers off casting 5 or great CMC cards, dilute, convoke / improvise for enchantments, and evoke?
>>
>>53298963
also, I don't see why nonplaneswalker shouldn't be a thing. If it's not, that's weird.
>>
>>53299110
I would like it more at UW and no prowess. Cool card.
>>53298096
Needs to be rare. Cool card. Would be safe to bump to 1/2
>>53297600
Not red
>>53297045
>I kinda hate Kryptonians because so often they're just big, dumb beaters.
>makes a big, dumb beater
I'm sure there's an interesting Zod design out there. Supes is pretty strictly going to have to be some dumb Lightning Angel though, yeah.
>>53296833
Neat. I don't know if it's a printable card, but I like the design.
>>53290483
I don't like how you get multiple counters off the same source. I like how they're hard to spend though.
>>53290024
Evoke ought to be 4, card ought to be 6. Also this is not even remotely close to UNC
>>53284053
~ costs 3B less to cast if it targets you?
Also 3BB for kill a guy, draw a card is really above the removal curve right now. Also not a common.
>>53283893
Sick card. Coinflips in competitive are inherently unprintable sadly.
>>53283256
The second ability is too cute. Just cut it and make it an uncommon.
>>53282977
Overcosted. Evoke at 1W? Flexibility adds a lot of power to a card.
>>53282840
!!!
Very cool
>>53282241
CMC 4 or more is correct templating
>>53281354
Average players should not have to know how APNAP works.
>>53280786
Do not put "You lose the game" on cards.
>>53279893
Hands are hidden zones, I don't think you can enforce "if able"? Cool card otherwise.
>>53271066
Absolutely 100% fair. I just needed an opinion quick
>>
File: Gravmagus.png (292KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Gravmagus.png
292KB, 375x523px
>>53299110
Drawing cards off power is typically green, if I recall right. It's a neat card though. I love making cards that scale off Prowess so it appeals to me quite a bit.

>>53298963
>M01
Worship on legs? And yeah, I agree that the "If you control a creature" bit isn't necessary; I was corrected myself on that Alara mythic cycle I did a few threads back for the Bant mythic.
>M03
This doesn't feel blue at all. Black and green are the only colors that can fetch anything from the yard like this, as I recall.
>M05
Yeah sure, feels fine to me. It's harsh but Mindslaver is easier to use than this.
>M07
Sac engine fodder? Because unless you're swinging extra combats, you aren't getting to use those critters otherwise.
>M09
Eh, I'd rather you didn't have two effects like this in one set. Pick either Pious Servant or this one to do this job.
>>53298234
This feels too cheap for what it does, even if it is 3 colors.
>>53298096
I'd make this rare, but it's pretty neat. I like when green gets this effect; it should show up more often along with red's Grenzo effect and UB's card stealing.
>>
File: Art of the Pimp.jpg (45KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Art of the Pimp.jpg
45KB, 375x523px
>>53243920
I like Tour de Force, but I think it would be slightly more flavorful like this.
>>
File: demonicpact.jpg (41KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
demonicpact.jpg
41KB, 265x370px
>>53258302
>Don't put "you lose the game" on a card.

Too late.
>>
File: Iquati Mindseeker.jpg (45KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Iquati Mindseeker.jpg
45KB, 375x523px
>>53300152
The difference between Demonic Pact and 90% of "you lose the game cards" is that Demonic Pact hints at its synergies and rewards you even if you can't meet them, while most other attempts scream their synergies to the heavens and are useless without them.

>card
I have no idea what colors this should be or if it even works as written. The Iquati are the guys who came up with Narcomoeba.
>>
>>53300930
The fact that it's a creature itself makes it much less to being broken a'la Oath of Druids. I get that its a balance thing that it exiles, but I don't want to exile my library in a presumably self-mill deck :(
>>53300152
Don't break rules until you know how to and have to. Walk before you run.
>>
File: Knight of the Stairwell.jpg (40KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Knight of the Stairwell.jpg
40KB, 375x523px
>>53301273
The reasoning behind the exile was "How can I make this card without it being ultrabusted in Dredge?" But maybe it being a 5-mana creature with no built-in enabling means its too hard to abuse.

>card
Sort of Kefnet-esque card. Inspired by the Planechase card Stairs to Infinity.
>>
File: Custom Commanders.png (3MB, 1510x1056px) Image search: [Google]
Custom Commanders.png
3MB, 1510x1056px
With Commander 2017 coming in August with a theme of Tribal, but no announced tribes as of yet, I became inspired to create a few tribal commanders of my own. Thought I'd share them with you guys to see how they weigh out.
>>
>>53301851
>jaq
The double strike mode seems way too powerful.
>ios
Mystic is an obsolete type, it's been replaced by druids and shamans. Other than that, face down cards are always a default colorless typeless 2/2. You could have it power up face down or colorless creatures I suppose. Gives it cute synergies with artifact creatures as well and sphinxes have a history of liking those.
Will evaluate more later when not on phone.

Speaking of those decks, I hope to fucking shit damn that they don't include goblins, elves, dragons, slivers, or angels.
>>
>>53301851
01 goes infinite with any sac outlet.
02 can cheat sorceries onto the battlefield.
03 is the most uninspired pile of stats. Also that card doesn't feel very black or not even that red
04 again, knight tribal?
05 does not work how you want it to work and is templated wrong. Look up Omnath.
06 is again just an uninspired pile of value and swing.
07 minotaurs vampires for some reason?
08 might be cool, but the last ability is booooooriiiing.
>>
File: Kryptonians.jpg (366KB, 1875x523px) Image search: [Google]
Kryptonians.jpg
366KB, 1875x523px
>>53299807
>Kryptonians
I've actually already done Supes. As I stated, I'm not in love with his design, but a lot of people really like it, which is why I stuck with it. I guess my Complexity Addiction is just getting in the way again. The others I've had more luck with.

>Superman
Already talked about this one. Trying to find better art, but so much of the art I can find gives him red eyes from his heat vision, and I'd like to avoid making Supes look like he's about to burn the player to death.

>Bizarro
I thought it was clever. A Green version of Superman that is technically in-color while being nearly identical functionally to Supes. Another one I'm looking for better art for. Wait, just realized he isn't Kryptonian. I think I'll change that.

>Supergirl
Blue for ice breath, Red for heat vision.

>Power Girl
Long story short, she's an alternate universe version of Supergirl who got stuck in the main DC universe. A lot more aggressive than Supergirl, hence her abilities.

>Doomsday
Ancient Kryptonian life-form who was experimented on so that being hurt would just make him stronger.

And I realize they all have Indestructible, I decided to make that more or less a feature of Kryptonians. Outside of them, I use it more sparingly than when I started this project, where people pointed out how much Indie I was putting on cards.

>Human Bomb
Hmm, one counter per damage source? Why hadn't I thought of that? I've been trying to find a good design that would allow him to blow up multiple permanents at once, I might do that. But if that doesn't work out, I'll go back to this design.
>>
>>53303372
supes is appropriately boring as fuck.
the border around bizarro is cute
rest are a-okay
>>
File: Boxing Glove Arrow.jpg (44KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Boxing Glove Arrow.jpg
44KB, 375x523px
Functional reprint. Quote is paraphrased from the Injustice comic (Harley was asking Ollie why he uses boxing glove arrows).

>>53304199
Cool, thanks.

So, anyway, we're nearly as the bump limit, so what should the next edition be? Since >>53301851 brought up Commander 2017, maybe tribal? EDH?
>>
>>53304408
I like the idea of tribal commanders who are more like grenzo where he happens to works really well with his tribe but doesn't actually necessarily mention them. Hell, grenzo works with both goblins and rogues
>>
File: Binar Planesire.png (106KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Binar Planesire.png
106KB, 375x523px
I feel like binar here is in a better place than he was before. Still not 100% on that ult, I think the cost and what it triggers off are appropriate but I feel like there's probably a more interesting thing I could do with him. I mean, I could change it so he make copies of everything you have.

I wonder if that - should give haste and exile the token.
>>
File: M13 Aneket Exalted Pharaoh2.jpg (51KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
M13 Aneket Exalted Pharaoh2.jpg
51KB, 375x523px
Aneket, version 3.0
>>53300022
>This doesn't feel blue at all.
It's original Tamiyo's ult on legs, and it works fantastically with the UR evoke in my set.
>Because unless you're swinging extra combats, you aren't getting to use those critters otherwise.
Yup, I'm gonna have to alter it. Definitely didn't think that one through. I'm thinking a tap-sac ability that Insurrections at sorcery speed.
>Gravmagus
I suppose the restrictions are enough that the token doesn't have to be exiled at end of turn, but it certainly feels less red as a result. Other than that, I dig it.
>>53299202
I love transform and cost-matters stuff. Ascend has the potential to be something really cool. Enchantment convoke only really works if there are enough worthwhile enchantments to play, so that puts the pressure on you to provide. Dilute feels weird, overly-narrow, and feel-bad. I know you're trying to do a thing where you can cast the spell on the cheap but still trigger cmc-matters stuff, but I don't think dilute is the way to go on that one. Maybe some alternative cost variant, like Emerge or Offering? I used monohybrid mana to achieve a similar effect. There are definitely options out there.

All in all, I think you have a real solid start, and I look forward to seeing where you go with it from here.
>>
>>53304563
I guess I'm the only one crazy enough to love this red headed step child of overload. But I honestly think people are looking at it wrong, I mean, all of the cards are perfectly fine if you just ignore the dilute cost and the dilute is an option if you want / need it. I will definitely grant that that batch of cards in >>53287763 is about the limit of what I'm clever enough to do with it, target 2 things, upside and a downside, and a powerful upside that hurts you.

I guess I can do emerge for spells like I was going to do. Only question is how exactly to do that. The immediate thought is to sac (exile, counter, or bounce) a spell you control but then why did you bother casting that other spell in the first place? I suppose I could make is sac enchantments and artifacts, that's kind of a neat idea.

On the enchantment thing, a number of my dudes will transform into enchantments on top off the fact that ascend makes dudes into enchantments. I would figure there should be plenty of worthwhile enchantments around to fuel "Conduit" as I'm probably going to call this improvise this.
>>
>>53304750
I don't mean to sound like an ass but I kind of do here.

Give MaRo all the shit you want but he has the core ideas of game design down. You can change your players so if most of them don't want your mechanic then don't force it.
>>
File: Unmask.2.jpg (44KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Unmask.2.jpg
44KB, 375x523px
New thread coming soon. Tribal commanders edition, I guess.

>>53301851
>Boomerang Jaq
Oh yeah, this doesn't seem degenerate and broken as fuck...

>Ios
What? Just Manifest the card or something.

>Kryton
DStrike? Really? Holy shit this thing absolutely breaks combat.

>Leon
Definitely seems better than the last card. Could use some wording help though. Also not really seeing the point of Flash.

>Linestra
Not as useful as you think, since mana empties constantly. Specifically, the toughness boost won't save any creature, since it'll disappear after combat.

>Nyfar
What exactly is the focus here? Pick something and stick with it.

>Mar'doom
Why White? DStrike is, again, probably too much here.

>Varkull
But it has no way to make Skeletons? And why UBR? This could fit as mono-Black.
>>
File: Indestructibility.jpg (42KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Indestructibility.jpg
42KB, 375x523px
NT: >>53305303
>>
File: Dorc Skullcrusher.jpg (43KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Dorc Skullcrusher.jpg
43KB, 375x523px
Thread posts: 318
Thread images: 126

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.